[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 96 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (973 KB, 1600x710)
973 KB
973 KB PNG
Can we have a paleo thread? There's not nearly enough paleontology discussion here, there should be a whole board for it really. Cool animals have been on earth for hundreds of millions of years, why just talk about the ones that are around today?
>>
Oh no
>>
>feathers
>>
>>4349388
Based thread anon.
>>
>>4349388
Interesting that Synapsids much like modern Mammals have nearly the same body proportions and mass. The biggest synapsids were the size of a elephants and most therapsids were the sizes of modern lions or bears as opposed to the later archosaurs who would grow to larger sizes in a shorter span of time.

Also have a cool spino.
>>
>>4349460
Nothing has ever achieved the side of dinosaurs, not even close, excluding certain aquatic mammals. Not even other archosaurs.

They were true freaks of nature and I'm sure whatever evolutionary fluke allowed them to grow that large can probably happen again under certain very specific conditions.
>>
File: 1644106687723.jpg (20 KB, 720x460)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>4349491
It's interesting how reptiles on land are on record the largest creatures to ever walk the earth, while mammals only become bigger when they're fully aquatic like whales. What's even more interesting is that no aquatic reptile has ever reached the size of a blue whale.
>>
>>4349495
True.
What's also weird is that land mammals have these weird spikes in size/mass on occasion but remain a lot smaller overall.
Maybe we need another Permian-style extinction for them to grow really massive.
>>
>>4349499
mammals cant grow much bigger than that simply because they are more dense and have less efficient respiratory systems
>>
>>4349388
I don't know about other folks but I really love the paleoart trend of reconstructing synapsids/therapsids as oddly shaped dogs
not my favorite critters but they cute
>>
>>4349504
they werent always like that, and if it happened once it can happen to others too
>>
>>4349525
archosaurs werent always like that*
hell, most archosaurs still arent like that. it was really just a very rare development in the dinosaurs common ancestor.
>>
>>4349495
Seems like dinosaurs just had the perfect body plan for getting huge, kinda like how filter feeding in whales is a recipe for getting gigantic. I know there were some rumoured fragmentary ichthyosaurs that were supposed to rival the blue whale in size, but that’s probably just another A. fragillimus scenario where the real animal was half the size we thought it was
>>
>>4349499
Would Paraceratherium-sized herbivores be more common had Cenozoic era have more stable and less drastic climate shift like Jurassic and Cretaceous periods?
>>
>>4349491
If you just remove sauropods from the equation, the biggest dinosaurs like Shantungosaurus and Lambeosaurus would be (literally) neck and neck with the largest land mammals.
Of course, the average dinosaur size is still going to be MUCH larger, and mammals do not have an answer to theropods, but it’s interesting to note that the absolute ceiling for land mammals and non-sauropod dinosaurs is essentially the same.
>>
File: Feather2.jpg (1.31 MB, 1800x2700)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
Nothing bad could possibly happen to this thread.
Also I miss radiodonts.
>>
>>4349491
>evolutionary fluke allowed them to grow that large
Literally hollow bones.
>>
>>4349571
I don't know shit about fuck but I think so. The (relatively) recent cooling in the global climate has been disastrous for megafauna everywhere. However I'm sure that the gomphotheres and the rise of man would have curbstomped them into bits regardless of temperature.
Gigantism favors a hot and moist climate and there's only a few exceptions. I don't really subscribe to Bergmann's rule that claims colder climates breeds larger animals, as on average it also yields less flora diversity and therefore nourishment.
>>
>>4349820
Where tf did those come from and why did they evolve?
Spoiler: I don't know and neither does anyone I bet
>>
>>4349491
>>4349820
It’s fucking mental that Spinosours while being amongst the largest theropods that has ever lived also re-evolved dense bones.
>>
>>4349820
Theropods and sauropods.
Ornithischia had dense bones, their bone growth patterns suggest they were cold-blooded, and their breathing apparatus resembled that of modern alligators.
Of course, ornithischia didn't reach sauropod sizes, either, but they could match theropods.
>>
I love Permian synapsids so much look at this dumb motherfucker
>>
>>4349846
all bones are hollow to some degree, its spongy in the center
despite being hollow, theyre not actually lighter, they weigh about the same, in some cases theyre denser than mammal bones because the same amount of mass is taking up less space
now birds and crocodiles have air sacs inside the bones that connected to their lungs, it synchronizes their breathing with their movement so they can breath continuously; evolution is a series of repurposing features for different functions, and thats what the air sacs are
>>
>>4349388
It is a personal theory of mine that Spinosaurs might’ve behaved like an aquatic bear. Opportunistic hunters who mostly ate fish but also took a bite out of any poor animal nearby. With long snouts, powerful claws, bigger than any other predator in their area I could’ve seen a Spinosaurus behavior be akin to a croc-bear hybrid.
>>
>>4350011
That seems perfectly reasonable. DESU the aquatic/semi-aquatic picture of Spinosaurus presented in recent years is far more interesting in my opinion than the "T. rex but longboi" vision that preoccupied people for decades.
>>
>>4350011
I have genuine hatred for people who say shit like:
>"Spino had a very fragile skull structure, he had a skull more akin to Gharials"
This is wrong on both ends by so many levels it's insulting. When people say Spino had a fragile skull, what they usually mean is it cannot produce the same amount of force a T-Rex or Giga can to kill which is retarded because a Spino doesn't need to have the bite to kill ankylosaurus or titanosaur to be able to be an effective apex predator.

His skull is also not even remotely like a Gharial who is a full-time piscivore. It's modern 1:1 counterpart is the slender-snouted crocodiles who are piscivores but are capable of eating hard shelled crustaceans and turtles alongside some small herbivores.
>>
File: 2810.jpg (29 KB, 678x452)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>4350011
It probably wasn’t taking chunks out of hadrosaurs, but it would probably be perfectly capable of killing anything small enough just because of its size
>>
>>4350011
If Carcharodontosaurus hunted in packs like it's relatives, it would also have had the same dynamics with Spinosaurus like Wolves have with Bears.
>>
>>4350699
Would Carchar be relatively similar in size to make it a bit irrelevant the size difference.
>>
>>4350699
Carch was a lot bigger compared to spino than wolves are to bears though. If 2 or 3 carchs wanted to gang up on a spinosaur (to steal its kill or even just to hunt it) than I don't like the spino's chances.
>>
>>4350704
>>4350707
The recent Spino skeleton examinations made a discovery that made Spino a lot more robust than it previously thought to be. In fact, it was one of the more robust theropods there was, only being beaten by tyrannosaurus relatives and their bone density was amongst the highest of the large theropods making their weigh a lot more than previously thought.

Now it is thought a Spino at their max could weigh between 8 and 10 tons which makes them nearly twice as heavy as largest carchars and nearly three times larger than the smaller sub-species.
>>
>>4350748
Interesting, that's a bit of game changer then and I can see the bear/wolf analogy a bit more now. Though I might go for croc/lion myself...a carch encountering a pissed off spino near the water might end up the one in danger then.
>>
>>4349882
I fucking love Moschops dude, they seem so chill that I wish I had one as a dog
>>
>>4349388
>no feathers
dropped
>>
File: 1522695119827.jpg (33 KB, 640x640)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Should birds really be considered reptiles? Since birds are dinosaurs, should dinosaurs be considered reptiles?
>>
>>4350895
Should mammals really be considered fish? After all, mammals evolved from reptiles, and reptiles evolved from amphibians, and amphibians evolved from fish...
>>
File: w4hktt25xi551_result.jpg (42 KB, 640x532)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Any dinosaurs you think are wrong?

I don't believe dinosaurs had feathers. Doesn't that just sound fucking stupid? what purpose would feathers possibly serve a non-flying dinosaur?
>>
>>4350699
Spinosaurus really doesn’t have the weaponry for taking on a large terrestrial theropod. A single carch would probably beat it up, the best it could hope for is to scare the carch off before a confrontation
>>
>>4350748
T H I C C
>>
File: 1667593502254976.jpg (43 KB, 600x606)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>4350943
>"Spinosaurus really doesn’t have the weaponry for taking on a large terrestrial theropod."

>Being literally the third/fourth largest carnivore
>8-10 ton range
>Crocodilian skull which has been calculated to produce around 7,000 psi
>Claws literally a foot long
>Largest tail of any theropod, fully capable of wiping it.
>>
>>4349388
>There's not nearly enough paleontology discussion here
Is this a joke? There is too much and it is all insufferable especially considering how irrelevant extinct organisms are.
>>
>>4350967
>fourth largest carnivore after two carcharodontosaurids
>skull isn’t as meme weak as people often make out but is still far weaker than the aforementioned theropods
>conical teeth lmao
>arms don’t have the range of motion for Jurassic park style fighting
>newt tail would require the animal to do a full 360 to hit anything since it can’t whip it like a monitor lizard
>tail is also thinner than the terrestrial lads so would be a less effective baseball bat anyways
Back to Carnivora with you
>>
>>4349388
Why do trannies want to ruin my enjoyment of dinosaurs?
>>
File: 1664635807239666.jpg (65 KB, 640x295)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>4350994
Not the anon you're replying to, but his and most of your points are kinda irrelevant and wrong to an actual 1v1 engagement it's painful to read through.

>fourth largest carnivore after two carcharodontosaurids
Carcharodontosaurids you mention are Mapusaurus and Giganotosaurus, who are a solid three tones heavier than even the heaviest Carcharodontosaurus and is absolutely irrelevant to discussion at hand.
>skull isn’t as meme weak as people often make out but is still far weaker than the aforementioned theropods
Which isn't really even factor, Spinosaurus still has a bite force that could kill even the largest theropods because It's a fucking predator with giant ass jaws.
>conical teeth lmao
Which have the near identical function that Carchars have, that of having resistance to vertical bending and stress without the fear of their teeth falling off (unlike Carchars).
>arms don’t have the range of motion for Jurassic park style fighting
Correct, they don't have but they are still fully functional and capable of bitch slapping anything that gets too close. And If the new suggested posture is anything to go by, It even makes Spino seem like a Therizinosaur.
>newt tail would require the animal to do a full 360 to hit anything since it can’t whip it like a monitor lizard
I'm not sure what he meant, but if he means like wiping like a monitor lizard then yeah, he can't. If he meant while running away then that's another story.
>tail is also thinner than the terrestrial lads so would be a less effective baseball bat anyways
Think less of a baseball bat, and more of a 3 ton spatula coming your way. It's still going to hurt like a motherfucker.
>>
>>4351001
Because they want to ruin your enjoyment of everything. Everything you like is evil, and they need to change it. I'm surprised you haven't caught on yet.
>>
>>4350942
Feathers on dinosaurs would serve the same purpose that feather's on flightless birds do - insulation, protection from the sun, mating displays. And it is likely that feathers evolved for those purposes first, before adaptation for flight occured.

That said, most ancient dinosaurs likely did not have feathers; they were likely limited to certain therpods.
>>
>>4349845
Bergmann's rule is true its just that cold terrestrial environments are less productive and therefore have an upper limit on body size due to resource constraints. You won't find something as big as Paraceratherium trudging around a tundra but animals capable of carving out a niche in the colder less productive environment will generally be larger than their warm climate relatives (colder climate canines, bears, deer, etc. are larger than their warm climate relatives). A great example of Bergmann's rule is actually white-tailed deer which range from Brazil to the Yukon with northern populations having shorter stockier limbs (Allen's rule) and larger body size (Bergmann's rule) with bucks from northern areas being around 150-300lb (even up to 400lb in some cases) while southern bucks max out at around 110lb.
>>
>>4351069
this makes sense but I always thought feathers evolved on birds that could fly, then some adapted to other surroundings and stopped flying
>>
>>4351302
That makes absolutely no sense if you know anything about evolution. Birds couldn't have developed feathers just for flying since there's be no selective pressure for it, it'd be like saying primates evolved hands so that humans could throw spears. No, primates evolved hands to better grasp tree branches and our human lineage simply adapted those hands into tool-using instruments. Feathers likewise had to have already existed in dinosaurs for some other purpose and were simply adapted into a flight instrument later. This means that even some non-bird, non-flying dinosaurs must've had feathers and indeed we've found fossil evidence of that.
>>
>everyone interested in prehistoric fauna
>no love for prehistoric flora
sad
>>
File: Cooksonia_sp._-_MUSE.jpg (365 KB, 1712x1552)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
>>4351314
I don't know talk about about them, but anyway here's a Cooksonia pic
>>
>>4349509
Meh, I grew up on books where Dimetrodon's snout was consistently depicted as reptilian
>>
>>4350699
>Gigas
>hunted in packs
Isn't this a retarded BBC meme? The one from the same documentary where they called them GigaNTosaurus?
>>
>>4351001
>>4351038
What the FUCK do trannies have to do with dinosaurs you absolute schizos
>>
>>4351359
No, it’s actually Mapusaurus who has evidence of pack hunting with eight specimens being found together.
>>
>>4351314
I find it crazy how recent the dominance of flowering plants is.
>>
File: titanoboa.jpg (1.95 MB, 2000x3000)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
*gulp*
>>
>>4351364
Who do you think is spreading the feathers propaganda?
>>
>>4351476
Get help.
>>
File: Cotylorhynchus.jpg (290 KB, 2000x1334)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>4349882
Not as dumb as this little spud.
>>
>>4351445
recent is a relative term. By the late cretaceous they were already dominant. IIRC more than 90% of plants in Hell Creek were angiosperms.

What would be truly fascinating would be to know what the main ground covers were in a pre-grass planet. Was most of the ground bare at least in drier parts? If so what prevented massive erosion?
>>
>>4351034
To add to this, in a direct Confrontation the two carnivores would most likely try to intimidate each other rather than fight because a broken jaw or leg is literally a death sentence for any predator.

Spinosaurus having so many auxiliary options like it's size, claws, and tail makes it a lot more intimidating than any Carcharodontosaurus, and the fact it's center of mass is closer to the ground, factor in it's longer front limbs and denser mass could make him easily wrestle a Carchar to the ground which is basically a game over. Honestly, the the bear analogy for Spino as said by this anon >>4350011
is a perfect explanation as for why a it would've been a good predator.
>>
>>4351612
That only tells us that angiosperms were more likely to be fossilized

Dont make assumptions
>>
>>4350942
>>
>>4351364
They’re a large portion of the new palo artists.
>>
>>4351069
Pennaceous feathers (which is what most people think of when thinking of feathers) only appear in some theropods but the ancestor of Dinosaurs and Pterosaurs had filamentous pycnofibers (filaments which are homologous to feathers) and Protofeathers (tuffs of filaments) as seen in the ornithischian Kulindadromeus are likely ancestral to Dinosauria. Although most large dinosaurs (which are most of the famous ones) probably lost most (or even all) of the filamentous integument due to thermoregulatory reasons.
>>
File: IMG_20221111_191956.jpg (3.86 MB, 5466x3835)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB JPG
I found this Ankylosaurid tail club this summer
>>
>>4351990
That's mine, give it back.
>>
>>4351612
Horsetail and other fern I'd imagine.
>>
>>4351990
What happens after you fully charge the battery?
>>
>>4352020
it turns back into mjolnir
>>
File: 1667509199069574.jpg (585 KB, 1080x1427)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
Paleontology is a scam
They literally make up entire dinosaur species using just a bone from the leg and some teeth
>>
File: Anteosaurus.png (528 KB, 1700x800)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
Not many people know it but the Anteosaurus is the biggest synapsid land predator ever discovered. Yes it is even larger than Arctodus.
>>
>>4352062
So once a body plan worked they just continue increasing the size until the next mass extinction, huh
>>
>>4351990
Can you show the cross sectional view, just to show how wedge-shaped it is?
>>
File: CM 11338.png (1.16 MB, 857x676)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>4352060
>1669
Lmao Prove it, nutjob.
>>
>>4352306
that was me, I planted those bones in the ground after grinding them down from whale bones into the proper shape and coating them with lacquer to make them look old
>>
>>4350942
bait but you just posted a non-flying dinosaur covered in feathers.
>>
>>4349509
I don't really like it. Diemetrodon wasn't a mammal or really much like one. Its relation is extremely distant.
>>
>>4352620
why is it ok to portray cynognathids as furry doglike critters but not for any other synapsid that shares its evolutionary provenance?
>>
>>4352651
Other than Diemetrodon being older and more primitive, there's not much difference as there's no proof. Just think the classic primitive, more lizardlike appearance seems more likely.
>>
File: IMG_20221112_203255.jpg (2.48 MB, 5632x2195)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
>>4352174
Never realized how thin it looks from this perspective. It's about 70cm wide.
>>
>>4352713
there's no fossil evidence of fur on any animal predating the late Jurassic, yet we know mammals existed before that time, and reconstructions of cynodonts were utilizing fur as early as the 1940s
I can't believe the featherfag phenomenon has caused a contrarian counter-reaction so bad that people are denying mammal ancestors had fur
>>
File: ginkgo biloba.jpg (598 KB, 2832x4256)
598 KB
598 KB JPG
>>4351314
>tfw the last of its kind is near extinct in the wild
>>
>>4352828
Eh, it's fine. Humans saved it.
>>
>>4352716
Thanks. Much wider than it is tall, perfect for horizontal swings... looks really well designed to break ankles and shins of predators. I can't believe some "paleontologists" looked at this and said that "uhm ackchually it's not for defense against predators". Like what the fuck else is it supposed to be for?
>>
>>4349499
One bone? You gotta be kidding me
>>
>>4352828
How the hell are this thing still around (human intervention aside)?
Their fruits are absolutely horrendous and barely any animals wants to eat it
>>
>>4352876
They’ve got more than one bone, like skulls and partial skeletons. That bone is just from the biggest one
>>
>>4352838
>armoured tank of an animal with a club that shows signs of wear/stress marks attached to a tail perfect for maximising swinging force which is at perfect height for ankle shattering
Hmm probably for display or something
>>
>>4350920
yes
>>
>>4349491
Pneumatic sacs, son!
>>
>>4351835
Our love can never be!
>>
>>4352306
This one looks fake desu.
>>
>>4351990
How heavy is it?
>>
File: CM 11338 Comparison.png (292 KB, 697x343)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
>>4355054
Thats because the slab matrix was polished and the bones carefully cleaned for public display. A few of the bones were reorganized to better display the anatomy, but original pictures still exist. You can go see this for yourself in Pittsburgh.

>>4352391
Really? That would make you the oldest man alive.
>>
File: 1668704121469.png (767 KB, 553x983)
767 KB
767 KB PNG
>>4349452
>>
File: IMG_20221117_095655.jpg (3.39 MB, 2857x4229)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
>>4356382
Each of the major osteoderms are about 25lbs. One of them was whole and the other one had to be put back together. When I first found it, I only had the more beat up part of the tail and the smaller osteoderm. Even then, it was way too much stuff to fit in my backpack and the walk back was more than 5k with a lot of it walking upstream through a river. I initially planned on not even collecting it, but changed my mind and spent the next few hours walking it back while holding the big piece in my hands. A few months later I returned to the spot after a big rainstorm and found the other osteoderm and the good section of tail. Ive also got a ~400 piece puzzle from fragments of the small bones that run along the tail.
>>
>>4356857
Good job, anon
>>
File: Fh2MXl_XwAAjdCz.jpg (262 KB, 2048x1152)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>
File: z.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1614)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
Give captions/dialogue to paleo images

>"CAN YOU GUYS JUST PISS OFF"
>>
File: E3FjEYDUcAQ3Ios (1).jpg (59 KB, 567x425)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>
>>4352878
It is resilient and majestic, that is how.
>>
>>4352878
Coyotes and raccoons eat them. In the US that alone is more than enough to spread them around. They don’t grown very well in my area but I’ve seen some volunteer ginkgo is random places.
>>
File: 1625731612674.jpg (811 KB, 1990x2416)
811 KB
811 KB JPG
>There is a gene that adds an extra vertebrae to the spine
OK, makes sense
>There is a gene that makes a carnivore's teeth slightly more jagged
OK...
>This gives the carnivore maybe 0.1% better chance of tearing flesh
Ok, big deal
>This gene keeps getting passed on until the end result is a ginsu steak knife teeth

Sometimes I underestimate how long 200 million years really is or how many generation that was.
>>
>>4359471
if you actually have legal provenance in leafland I could sell your teeth for a couple grand each on US ebay.
>>
File: IMG_20220502_143338.jpg (2.99 MB, 3301x5165)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>4359471
That tooth in the pic is mine. I think I posted it a year ago when it was the best one I had. Ive found some better ones since then.
>>
>>4359484
None of this stuff can legally leave the province or be sold. Though I wouldn't sell it anyway.
>>
Can anyone post all of the cope and seethe over the Utahraptor skin impression?
>>
File: tegu.png (1.13 MB, 800x554)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>4349817
feathers aren't real
birds are a government coverup
paleontology is a front
these are the only real animals
>>
>>4359829
I mean, it could've been from the ornithopod that is in there with them, or from the foot or ankle or snout of a Utahraptor, or really from one of the many animals within the block.

People who depict Utahraptor as being a giant fluffy owl are retarded, though. An animal that huge in a climate that hot would have a naked belly, naked legs, and probably a naked head.
>>
File: inostrancevia-size.jpg (98 KB, 549x319)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>4349388
I fucking love Gorgonopsids and white there was more info and studies on the truest if the true Apex Predators
>>
>>4362149
Also if I have a reptile sanctuary/exhibit can I write off a $300k Triceratops skeleton as a business expense on my taxes?
>>
>>4362151
You don't need a reptile sanctuary to write off a $300k Triceratops skelly as a business expense

here's what you need:
1. a business
2. a legit reason the fossil will help you make money, this can be as vague as "Office Decoration, Other."
3. More than $300k in income
4. More than $300k in tax liability over the allowed timeframe
5. Someone selling a $300k skeleton
6. Somewhere to put it.
>>
File: anteater-page-2016-9-16.png (500 KB, 1025x547)
500 KB
500 KB PNG
>>4351835
My analogy for a Spinosaurus vs Carcharodontosaurus would be Anteaters vs Jaguars.
Anteaters have near identical stance that the proposed Spinosaurus has (when in bipedal/fight mode) and they use their claws by lunging into jaguars which can be utterly fatal, but the Jaguars are also capable of incapacitating a Anteater if it gets a good bite without suffering any wounds.

That's my thought on Spino and Carchar fight. A Spino is fully capable of defending itself and even killing a Carchar, while the opposite is also equally as true with a Carchar being able to kill a Spino if it gets a good bite or ambushed.
>>
>>4350156
I hate it when people compare spinosaur jaws to that of the gharial. They could’ve at least do a bit more research and make the comparison with the daggertooth pike conger instead.
>>
>>4363141
they remind me of spawning salmon personally
>>
File: Dinosaur Mesothermy.png (57 KB, 786x472)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>4350895
Only if mammals should be considered fish. Birds are warm-blooded. Dinosaurs never appear to have achieved these. Even the supposedly feathered ones. In fact, the species that supposedly had feathers appear to have been the MOST cold-blooded from growth inference.

>>4354826
Ah a cladist chimes in to grace us with the maximum sentence length his two brain cells are capable of.
>>
>>4352878
Honestly, the reason it's nearly extinct is probably because humans wrecked its ecological interactions during the Pleistocene. Nothing just naturally goes extinct in the time of literal recorded human history. That's far too recent and acausal. Something like that is always human intervention.
>>
>>4359829
I fucking KNEW IT! What are the details of this?
>>
>>4356385
They intentionally disarticulated the front limbs MORE??
>>
>>4363095
You actually brought up a good and fitting analogy, kudos to that.
>>
>>4358610
*KWUUUU-PSHHH!!!*
*screaming theropod sounds*
>>
>>4349460
Can someone explain why every single paleoartist is depicting Spinosaurus with this stupid fucking notch in the sail just because one animal had it?
>>
>>4349504
>muh respiratory systems

>>4349714
>muh upper size limits!

Jesus christ, paleontology is never going to do anything but loop in the same retarded false "theories" for centuries until everyone with an IQ below 125 is executed, is it? I think I know now why featherfaggotry caught fire so intensely. It's the first new and wrong thing paleoniggers have said in a century, as opposed to all the old and wrong bullshit that gets recycled endlessly. Soon paleopseuds will be trying to bring sex lakes.
>>
>>4363342
*bring back sex lakes
>>
>>4363342
true, the real reason no group of mammals has gotten as big as the dinosaurs is simply: they haven't had the time to develop into that yet, and between the ice age and anthropocene conditions havent been favorable at all
>>
>>4363351
And also, with paraceratherium and palaeoloxodon, mammals have definitely approached dinosaur sizes already
>>
>>4363351
Correct. The Mesozoic had far more clement conditions for life than the Cenozoic. That's why global warming alarmists are so utterly fucking stupid. A temperate planet is MUCH worse for life than a tropical one. And get this: dinosaurs evolved VERY VERY slowly. They were amazing animals, but the largest land mammal that ever lived came into being when mammals were only dominant for ~35 million years. During the same amount of time after dinosaurs came into being, they were barely still differentiating into the most primitive versions of the groups they would later become known for. They also didn't diversify that much. Mammals have filled almost every niche on the planet. While Dinosaurs had competition with other reptiles that mammals don't, that's still not enough to explain their lack of diversity away. It took Dinosaurs almost until they were totally extinct to evolve the same sort of cheek-masticating herbivory that mammals evolved almost instantly after taking over.
>>
>>4363381
I agree and it makes me wonder what future mammal behemoths will look like
Thats pretty much my shitty spec evo project
>>
>>4363544
I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the current apocalypse is halted. Humans finally stand as the only force under heaven with the power to permanently poison this planet so badly life will have to totally re-evolve from different chemical compounds. We're not there yet, but that's the current trajectory. Earth as a poison world.
>>
>>4349460
>>4363328
It really didn’t. In fact, I’m not convinced that Spinosaurus was ever real.
>The Ibrahim et al. (2014) take on Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. Different colours represent different specimens: red is the neotype; brown is the original Spinosaurus material; yellow is referred, isolated Spinosaurus remains; green bones are borrowed from other spinosaurids, and blue bones are crafted to fit the skeleton based on neighbouring elements. Image borrowed from Smithsonian.com
And now it’s even more ridiculous with the addition of the disembodied tail from who even knows what animal.
>>
>>4363605
Ah, so it was a rock someone found on the sidewalk? I mean, I'm positive you wouldn't misrepresent the issue!

Now, I'll ask again. What are the ACTUAL, historical fucking details?
>>
>>4363717
Where? When? Who? How was this discussed? What the hell did you think I meant? Give me the one-sided propaganda that represents the topic in the light you want? No.
>>
File: faggots.png (298 KB, 599x987)
298 KB
298 KB PNG
Oh my god, it's so much more beautiful than I could have imagined. Featherfaggots literally BEGGING NPCS to not abandon their false god.
>>
File: FcV4e_LaMAYptnI.jpg (961 KB, 4096x3239)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
>>4363748
>>
File: FcV4hQWagAIfxZQ.jpg (273 KB, 2250x1507)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>4363752
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

*inhale*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
File: qvn9ccipdjo4qicc4gzi.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>4363753
The featherqueers played a good game out there. I just think the actual scientists wanted it more.

*shakes head*
>>
>>4363588
Humans will die out themselves or leave earth before we get to that point. And then it's just waiting for the next flood basalt eruption.
>>
>>4363774
>there’s nothing to suggest it’s from utahraptor in the first place
we've gone over this at least twice with T. rex now.
They're not going to say it's Utahraptor skin without any reason. That would get them fired and laughed out of the field. They have a reason, you just don't know it yet. And you're going to look like a real dumbass when their reason is made public. Just like the dumbasses that denied the rex skin because they didn't know all the details.
>>
>>4363912
Let me guess, your big secret is that it's from the foot. Funny how the only integument we have any evidence for for Dromaeosaurs outside of CHYNA is scales, isn't it. IT JUST KEEPS HAPPENING!!!

Why IS that?

Let me guess your answer to this too "Well, axchually, scales preserve easier than feathers."

*Translators note: They don't.
>>
>>4363342
Someone redpill me on the sex lakes please? kek
>>
>>4363381
>They were amazing animals, but the largest land mammal that ever lived came into being when mammals were only dominant for ~35 million years. During the same amount of time after dinosaurs came into being, they were barely still differentiating into the most primitive versions of the groups they would later become known for.
Is this really a fair comparison though? You're talking about during Triassic times, when dinosaurs were not the dominant life forms either. They were still competing with thecodonts and therapsids (or whatever we're calling these groups now) back then and the path was only cleared for them in the Jurassic, much like for mammals in the Tertiary.
Considering dinos had already diversified into theropods, ornithopods, stegosaurs, and fuck-huge sauropods by early/mid Jurassic times I think they did more than ok in terms of rapid evolution and diversification.
>>
>>4363924
Paleontologists, being typically brainless idiots once* believed that large sauropods couldn't support their weight on land, so they had to live and fuck in lakes. And the lakes dried up so they went extinct. Paleontologists have a serious problem trying to tell dinosaurs what they're allowed to do. They've been doing it for decades, are continuously proved wrong, yet can't learn because they all have 100 IQs.

*they still believe this; they just phrase it slightly differently now since everyone made fun of them

>>4363926
>You're talking about during Triassic times, when dinosaurs were not the dominant life forms either.
Mammals were less dominant still.

>the path was only cleared for them in the Jurassic
No. By the late Triassic we already had stuff like Plateosaurus.

The mid-Jurassic is a bit further than 35 my from dinosaur origins.

>and fuck-huge sauropods by early/mid Jurassic
Now that is true. But it still took dinosaurs longer than mammals. I'm pretty certain the key factor in mammals never getting bigger than Paraceratherium is climatological. People don't realize that animal existed during the hottest peak of the Cenozoic. The only other land mammal that compares are several species of elephants, but I think those are just flukes.

Dinosaurs still evolved overall VERY slowly. No dinosaur, in fact, ever even evolved proper molars. All dinosaur teeth are consummately reptilian even after 150 my of evolution. Mammalian teeth are all over the place. There are many examples that show this trend. When you compare the evolution of dinosaurs to mammals, mammals are on full turbo mode.
>>
>>4363931
Wait a segund. I mis-remembered. Paraceratherium was Oligocene. That was much cooler than the maximum, but still warmer than now. Around Jurassic temperatures.
>>
>>4364460
So you can state with certainty these scales are not from Utahraptor? Then what are they from?
>>
>>4364460
>the T. rex scales were associated with T. rex specifically,
not at all

the first scales were associated with a hadrosaur, and the second set are literally famous for their association with... you guessed it.... another hadrosaur.

and both times fools on /an/ said the same shit.
"we don't know which dinosaur the scales belonged to."
but of course "we" knew, or we wouldn't have called them rex scales in the first place.
>>
>>4364519
They're clearly from a dinosaur. And they sure don't look like Hadrosaur scales, unless they're from a foot pad or something.
>>
>>4364533
Literally every single mainstream paleopseud makes it one of their top faggot priorities to tell everyone which dinosaurs are at the "maximum size this animal could achieve" and usually give some fucking retarded explanation for it like how they breathed. They do this with Cambrian arthropods too. Kind of funny how totally unrelated animals have the same retarded cop-out explanation, and the explanation is never "the Earth had a pleasant climate and they had little competition - life uh finds a way." No, fuck that. Evolution only works when we say it does!
>>
>>4364535
Carboniferous I mean.
>>
>>4364539
They literally DO and HAVE for longer than either of us have been alive, you retarded cunt. They used to add other shit to the mix too like Dinosaurs couldn't run or climb because "their ankles were the wrong shape". You literally don't know shit.
>>
>>4364543
>Dinosaurs couldn't run or climb
So they were lumbering murder beasts? Awesome
>>
>>4364544
Except they weren't. Paleoretards have always had a serious problem with trying to put fake limits on Dinosaurs and they always defy them. Paleofaggots literally can't stop themselves from doing this. It's like a mental illness.
>>
>>4364519
>The wyrex scales were so closely associated with the specimen we could tell where on the body there were from
nobody here could tell because nobody here had that information 13 years ago aside from me.

same deal now. Somebody knows. Just not anyone here. And you guys aren't big on taking the word of an insider, even when he's been right in this exact same situation several times before.
>>
>>4364519
>>4364573
I mean I literally spent years trying to convince /an/ that the wyrex skin was real and we could tell where it came from EVEN AFTER IT WAS PUBLISHED IN 2009.

and then again when it was cited in the Yutyrannus paper, same deal

and then when the "dueling dinos" fossil was found almost 10 years ago nobody here believed it existed, let alone that it had preserved rex skin. They were denying that and literally writing Larson emails begging to prove me wrong right up until that got released to the press.

go through /an/s archives, this shit has been going on for well over a decade now. People fucking deny stuff for years and then suddenly shut up when it gets published somewhere they can see it. 20 years from now a bunch of faggots here will be like, "oh yeah, we have Utahraptor scales." Like they knew all along even though they spent years denying it. Good fun.
>>
>>4364652
>Then do you know if they’re utahraptor scales?
yes, I know
>Because the fags arguing above obviously don’t
they should

Look, when Larson was asked by some anon here on /an/ if the "bloody mary" fossil (aka "dueling dinos") had rex skin all he said was he will have some exciting news published about rex feathers in a couple months. Which he did. The exciting news is it didn't have feathers.

Same thing happened with the "bloody mary" skin. The current owners are offering "exciting news about rex feathers" which will soon be published. Paleontologists already know what that news is.... It didn't have any.

When some rando paleontologist says he found Utahraptor skin, the best response isn't "we have no reason to think the skin came from Utahraptor." Dude wouldn't have said it did if there was no reason to think so. He's probably got some really good reasons. But until someone publishes it, it's probably best to just take their word for it. It would be a ridiculously stupid thing for them to lie about.
>>
>>4364672
so in your mind Kirkland found some dino skin (a relatively common occurrence in his career) and without any real direction on his part, the public and press concluded that it was Utahraptor skin instead of any of the other ~30 known species from the formation.

what an odd conclusion to make.
>>
>>4364672
>at least not publicly
this is where larson kicked /an/s collective ass also

if you sit in on some of their lectures you learn all sorts of interesting stuff decades before the public hears about it. Reporters aren't exactly auditing paleo classes to catch the latest dinosaur news or anything.
>>
>>4364682
>I haven’t seen anyone just up and assume it was utahraptor, and I haven’t seen it mentioned by the press at all
cool

you will.
>>
>>4364685
>Let’s just hope it doesn’t take 5 years
it's been a couple years since it was announced, everyone here should have heard about it in another 3-10
>>
>>4364685
iirc wyrex was first published in 2008 and /an/ was still denying it right up until we republished in 2017. So about 10 years behind is where I'd put this thread most of the time.
>>
File: 1656292931430.jpg (72 KB, 813x821)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>4364565
>Again kids books and popsci articles aren’t written by palaeontologists
They literally are, retard. Why do you soience freaks always repeat these same lies over and over again? You've never been right.

>Um actually paleoartists aren't paleontologists (they literally are most of the time)
>Um actually people that write children's dinosaur books aren't paleontologists (they literally are most of the time)
>Um actually the replication crisis only involves psychology (it literally affects every single field)
>>
>>4364577
>>4364573
>And you guys aren't big on taking the word of an insider
That's because my father also works for Nintendo, retard.

>>4364577
>I mean I literally spent years trying to convince /an/ that the wyrex skin was real
This literally has nothing to do with /an/. This has to do with the fact that paleofaggots have convinced everyone that every fucking animal in the fossil record had feathers. That's YOUR team's fault. Get your own fucking house in order. And stop with the copeposting "um actually REAL PALEONTOLOGISTS™ don't believe everything had feathers", because it's literally college-trained, acredited paleontologists that forced all this cancer into the field and congratulations, you've gotten the majority to believe it. You dumb bastards are even trying to resurrect Ornithoscelida to magically cope feathers as an ancestral Dinosaur trait into existence, though the fossil record is EXTREMELY clear that this phylogeny is retarded. And now you have the fucking audacity to be upset that soience goys don't believe dinosaurs were scaled? The world's smallest violin plays for you. Faggot.
>>
>>4364657
>Look, when Larson was asked by some anon here on /an/ if the "bloody mary" fossil (aka "dueling dinos") had rex skin all he said was he will have some exciting news published about rex feathers in a couple months. Which he did. The exciting news is it didn't have feathers.
Lol
>>
File: 1657516891587.jpg (186 KB, 928x1024)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>4364657
>Same thing happened with the "bloody mary" skin. The current owners are offering "exciting news about rex feathers" which will soon be published. Paleontologists already know what that news is.... It didn't have any.
You know, at first I thought it was funny, but I realize it's just demonic marketing. These faggots are playing up the featherfaggot angle to get publicity. Absolutely satanic. This is EXACTLY the fucking problem with modern "paleontology". It's just repackaged journalism. It uses bombastic lies to get attention and then its purveyors act SHOCKED! that people don't believe their verified by the experts™ "truth".

>the best response isn't "we have no reason to think the skin came from Utahraptor."
It is if you're a featherfag coper and your religion revolves around feathered dinosaurs. Here's a little tip - tell your buddies: stop calling every structure you find attached to an Ornithischian "feathers" and this will stop...eventually. Though you've cansured up the science so badly at this point this problem will probably last another 50 years.

>It would be a ridiculously stupid thing for them to lie about.
Unless it made them money or got them attention, of course. Honestly, you're sort of retarded for thinking science has any reputation or credibility at this point. It burned through that creating the replication crisis and all of you faggots turning into tabloid journalists. Maybe you don't personally act like this, but you seem to be connected to those who do. TELL THEM TO FUCKING STOP. Tell them, you were informed by someone who knows better than you and all of them they are FUCKING DESTROYING SCIENCE AS A DISCIPLINE and the consequences of this reach beyond their own fucking wallets. And stop coping and covering for them. They all do this horseshit. Contrarianism sells. That's why the american news media is nothing but lies and propaganda. We don't need science to become Fox News or CNN. Thanks, but no thanks.
>>
>>4364677
It's a war, retard. Try to keep up. You should really care about it more than you do. It affects everyone.
>>
>>4364831
Pic related is a uniquely american thing

Our shit country has endocrine disruptors and carcinogens that go in and around our food on a "generally recognized as safe list" due to studies largely paid for by the people making the chemicals, and when the subject of banning them comes up....
>THATS COMMUNISM
>CORPORATIONS HAVE FREEDOMS TOO
>YOU FUCKING COMMIE LET THEM HAVE FREEDOM OF ENTERPRISE THEY PROVED THEY ARENT HURTING ANYONE
>YES YOU CAN STILL GO TO JAIL IF YOU YELL BOMB IN A MOVIE THEATER OR SAY YOU ARE GOING TO CAVE JOE BIDEN'S HEAD IN WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER
The companies profiting are american, the people being lied to are american, 99% of the time. The wuhan flu was kind of an exception because america and china forced a massive global panic to cover up the fact that it was an intentionally developed bioweapon that both countries had made significant contributions to, with the US doing 99% of the development, with significant involvement from chinese researchers and the use of their facilities, and the chinese accidentally releasing it. What they did is on paper, a crime against humanity, hence the forced panic and china harshly punishing any attempts to figure out where it came from unless the state is making an official statement.

Otherwise science is what it is and has always been since the PhD system, and that has very little to do with dinosaurs. Except in the way you must look at small studies that are reaching and are someones thesis and go "hmm, doubt it". Instead of trusting the experts. Again science has always had that part, it's just that americans and their corporations/government made it much worse when it comes to human health issues.
>>
>>4364838
>and that has very little to do with dinosaurs
Oh here we go.

>UM axchually, the damage is limited to X and Y. Z is still fine
Jesus christ, every single time the replication crisis is brought up, the cope flows like rivers.
>>
>>4364804
not sure you know what a paleontologist is
>>
>>4365048
It would be really cool. afaik we haven't found verifiable dino feathers in the US yet. And most raptors aren't known from direct imprints of feathers, just quill knobs on the arms.

the thing the extremists don't get is Utahraptor is expected to have feathers based on strong bracketing rather than the weak bracket in T. rex. So even if scaled Utahraptor skin is published, we'd still expect it to have feathers. This is different from T. rex where the evidence for feathers is weak and all known sister taxa have scales with no evidence of feathers.
>>
File: 1668674914936867.gif (542 KB, 185x211)
542 KB
542 KB GIF
>>4365048
>we're getting mohawk-feathered half scaly bulkmonster utahraptor instead of faggoty large bird utahraptor
UNHHHHHH IM GONNA FUCKING COOOOOOOOOM
>>
>>4365085
even just fuzz instead of filament feathers would satisfy me
>>
>>4365047
It's literally not. Lying and bullshit in science has far-reaching consequences. It must be fought against.

>>4365048
That would just further enable featherfags. I hope it contains only scales and they're from the back of the animal. It would literally shatter paleontology.

>>4365055
I've been to a gay bar. Pretty sure I know what they get up to.

>>4365081
>MUH BRACKETING
Oh look, a retarded featherfaggot. See what I mean?
>>
>>4365085
>There’s Ornithomimids with feathers from the US but that’s about it
we haven't found their actual feathers though. We know they're feathered but never found the feathers afaik.

There are a couple feathers known from the Hell Creek, but they're not attached to any dinosaur so we don't know for sure who they belonged to.
>>
>>4349491
>evolutionary fluke allowed them to grow that large
Pneumatic sacks
>>
>>4365096
>Oh look, a retarded featherfaggot. See what I mean?
not really.

are you trying to be sarcastic? Because paleontologists use bracketing to support both feathers and scales, and pretty much everything else.

maybe you're just familiar with bracketing as an argument in favor of feathers? In that case you're dismally ignorant.
>>
>>4365096
Your mistake seems to be not understanding the various types of bracket.

Maybe read the wiki and you can bring some better criticisms.

basically, to be a bracket, it needs at least 2 ends. So like an ancestor has a trait AND a descendant has a trait, you've got a good bracket.
If an ancestor and a sister taxon has the same trait, you also have a bracket but not a great one.
If only an ancestor, or a sister taxon, or a descendant has a trait, it's not really a bracket because it only has one end. That's very weak bracketing, or not bracketing at all.

until you learn this, you look like a fool complaining about a straw man.
>>
>>4365102
>>4365104
YOUR mistake is thinking I don't know what fucking bracketing means. You dumbass NPC halfwits can't seem to grasp that paleofaggots are constantly moving shit around, making the bracketing argument pointless. And you can't know the phylogenies of 100 million years dead animals without VERY complete species series. This is not science.
>>
>>4365096
an example of this:
>>4365104
say we decide that Yutyrannus is an ancestor of T. rex so T. rex has feathers. This isn't bracketing because there aren't 2 ends to the bracket. Just an ancestor.

Now say we decide Yutyrannus is an ancestor of T. rex AND Velociraptor is a sister taxon, so T. rex has feathers. This is a very weak bracket because neither the ancestor nor the sister is closely related, but it is technically a bracket.

Now if we had a descendant of T. rex that had feathers, that would be a strong bracket. But we don't, so the best anyone can do in that situation is weak brackets. Very weak brackets.

not that it matters since we don't use bracketing on traits we KNOW. e.g., we don't use bracketing to say rex had feathers when we know from fossils that it didn't. Brackets never overrule known facts. They're tools used for statistical probability when information is NOT KNOWN.

Like if I know your mom has blue eyes and your son has blue eyes but I don't know your eye color, bracketing would give a likely answer of blue. But if I know your eyes are actually brown, bracketing isn't used.
>>
>>4365098
>There are a couple feathers known from the Hell Creek
We talking birds or something else? I'm not aware of this.
>>
>>4365106
>YOUR mistake is thinking I don't know what fucking bracketing means
then why do you consistently pretend it's something else?

just trolling? Pretending to be stupid?
kys
>>
>>4365108
I love how after I explained to you you're a retard, you post a long redditly spaced reply proving you're a retard in a formulaic manner. I suppose congratulations on being thorough?

>>4365111
I don't pretend anything. You seem to not know shit about paleontology and the direction its headed in. Ornithoscelida is now mainstream again, despite being painfully obviously wrong. THAT is your precious bracketing in action. And it's wrong. Like it almost always is. The mainstream paleoniggers are STILL trying to find ways to say Silesaurids aren't early Ornithischians. This is literally the opposite of proper bracketing. You're not arguing science here. You're arguing scientism. You're just legalesing an argument in favor of the current status quo, whatever that is. You're not making any sort of scientific argument. I'm sure your midwit IQ won't permit you to grasp what I'm saying.
>>
>>4365113
you read a great deal into things that isn't there.

you might be crazy. But we already know that.
>>
>>4365124
sweet! I hadn't heard of this.
>>
>>4364677
at this point it just another staple meme in the /an/ ecosystem
>>
File: 1646038387585.png (137 KB, 1588x436)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>4365127
Wow, NPC, you sure showed you can pass a Turing test by repeating what your opponent says, but swapping out words.
>>
>>4365148
What we really need is everyone to get along and agree that contradictory beliefs really can all be held at the same time. A sort of Orwellian utopia where thought isn't required and only uncool people get upset by the experts™ lying all the time to make money and advance their own careers.
>>
>>4365233
How about the NPC overpopulation problem?
>>
I identified the feather psyop for exactly what it was on here before anyone else
>>
>>4365194
In real life if you accuse someone of lying to get money you go to court and get to prove it. If you can't prove it, you go to prison, not them. Lucky for you 4chan isn't real life.
>>4365257
>I spotted Santa first on Christmas!
you're an idiot.
You're the reason we don't have paleontology discussion on /an/. Maybe one day you'll die and we'll go back to discussing paleo stuff.
>>
>>4365344
In real life if you act like this much of a faggot, you get fucked in the ass. Good thing this is online and not real life.
>>
>>4365384
I'm not gay, sorry. Maybe you can find someone else to do your stinky anal man sex with

Your relationship problems aside, scientists don't actually lie for money. That lands you in prison in almost any line of work aside from politics and religion.
>>
I've never seen discussions about politics, religion, football, investing etc. get as heated as /an/ discussing dinosaurs
>>
>>4365594
That's because sports aren't important. And those that argue them are brainlets. Lying in science is literally dangerous to the continuation of human civilization and the natural world.
>>
File: 1666713408729939.jpg (100 KB, 1024x1012)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>4365420
>Your relationship problems aside, scientists don't actually lie for money.
Of course they do, you fucking retard. The replication crisis literally couldn't exist without it. Some of the most famous "scientific conclusions" are lies paid for by corporations. The idea that "moderate drinking is best" was literally paid for by Anheuser-Busch. And the """scientists""" (paid shills) """arrived""" at this conclusion by grouping former heavy drinkers in the "non-drinker" group.

Why do you fucking come to this board every single fucking day of your life and tell lies that are easily refuted that you yourself know are lies? Just how fucking evil and committed to the destruction of science are you?

You do know you're on the side of evil, right?
>>
File: 1668863204301.png (2.01 MB, 2048x1465)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB PNG
>>
File: 1667460433247.png (1.1 MB, 1200x1200)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>
File: 1659168434291.png (865 KB, 1241x644)
865 KB
865 KB PNG
>>
File: 1660690445995.jpg (227 KB, 2048x1463)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>
File: 1664393919770.jpg (1.04 MB, 2500x1930)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
>>
File: 1647924700333.png (774 KB, 1874x1488)
774 KB
774 KB PNG
>>
File: 1663930795403.jpg (359 KB, 1876x1486)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
>>4365792
>>
File: 1654206163663.png (625 KB, 1024x771)
625 KB
625 KB PNG
>>
File: 1640549149181.webm (587 KB, 600x338)
587 KB
587 KB WEBM
>>
File: 1652541721353.webm (1.53 MB, 600x338)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB WEBM
>>
>>4365790
Gee, I wonder who's low quality, scientifically inaccurate, gore-infested garbage this is.
>>
>>4351930
Kek, I recognize who this image is making fun of
>>
File: 1668729982173653.png (743 KB, 978x1019)
743 KB
743 KB PNG
>>4351314
>Tfw avocados almost died after megatherium got extinct because they were meant to be pooped by them and we saved them
And ecotards just want to commit species suicide because of some rainforest.
>>
>>4359833
>Argentinian superiority confirmed once again
I'm okay with this
>>
>>4365096
those mammals bussin fr fr
>>
>>4365941
What are you talking about? Real ecologists taught you this. Fake ecologists tell you hunters are the champions of nature and have some sort of mystical knowledge of the food web.
>>
>>4365096
All of those are genuinely pretty close except for the aquatic and airborne mammals

Then you have the holocene park squid insisting humans looked like this and were nocturnal ambush predators that hung from trees, using their large brains to set elaborate traps to cripple prey because they were too frail and sloth-like to move sufficiently fast.
>>
>>4365978
but thats true
>>
>>4365903
>scientifically inaccurate
Surely you're not implying that the fucking beak was not, in fact, actually the choicest bit of a Triceratops for a rex are you anon?
>>
>>4365790
This is how you do it wrong.

>>4366010
This is how you do it right.

Of of these two has their work in multiple museums. The other does not. I bet you'll never guess which is which.
>>
>>
File: HUEHUEHUE Sale.jpg (540 KB, 2203x2937)
540 KB
540 KB JPG
>>4366129
>those feet
Oh my god...
>>
>>4349388
Dinosnore. Simple as.
>>
>>4349846
the basal dinosaurs were basically jumping lizards so lighter bones help you leap further
>>
>>4352878
relative safety of remote chinese mountain valleys
>>
>>4365977
>What are you talking about? Real ecologists taught you this
Not all scientists want you to stop eating meat and to turn the heater off during winter anon.
>>
>>4365941
Any more examples of plants whose natural dispersers went extinct yet they still survived to this day because of human intervention?
>>
File: 1659617778634819.jpg (673 KB, 2048x2048)
673 KB
673 KB JPG
>>4351314
I have been obsessed with prehistoric plants since WWD and have been collecting tree ferns, ginkgos and horsetails at my garden pond. I'm actually glad there aren't many people focused on them, would probably lead to some dumb hybrids or forced mutations.
>>
I was reading about how it's believed even towed ungulates split off into camel like animals on one branch and then on the other literally everything else swine, deer, bovine, hippos, giraffes, and whales. I love how weird evolutionary paths can be. Like how did swine show up so long ago and evolve very little once they were defined
>>
>>4349882
Is that a proto turtle
>>
File: leon y dinosaur.png (499 KB, 630x630)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
Jurassic lion.
>>
>>4366387
>Not all scientists want you to stop eating meat
Only the ones that actually understand ecology.

>and to turn the heater off during winter anon
This has nothing to do with the environment. This is a corporate marketing piece that has gotten circulated out of control to shift blame onto consumers when the corporations are the ones fucking everything up.

>>4366399
There's tons. Read The Ghosts of Evolution.
>>
File: 1669419902254270.gif (149 KB, 236x260)
149 KB
149 KB GIF
>>4351038
Your persecution complex is embarrassing.
>>
>>4365779
You are by far the dumbest person on this board, maybe the entire internet.
>>
The combative, self important, autistic behavior from the retards that shit up these threads is inevitable. They don't know how to have a discussion without turning it into a shit flinging argument. They desire confrontation. They post their opinions without any citations or even supporting reasoning. Then they act smug. They seem to do it just to publicly masturbate over their little hobby interest like we're on /v/.
>>
>>4366502
>Only the ones that don't actually understand ecology or human nutrition and physiology
*Fixed

>corporate marketing piece
Government policy pushed by environmentalist
>>
>>4366559
This from a faggot who follows youtube diet trends and most likely thinks humans are hypercarnivores. You do realize all the NPCs are getting slaughtered within your lifetime, right? Buh-bye! See ya, honey.
>>
>>4366502
>This has nothing to do with the environment. This is a corporate marketing piece that has gotten circulated out of control to shift blame onto consumers when the corporations are the ones fucking everything up.
It's the corporations that benefit from overconsumption and it's the consumers who benefit from underconsumption. Current consumption levels simply aren't sustainable unless there's some massive boost in innovation.
>>
>>4366565
Well no shit, but you've made the same fatal error that all futurist retards do. You've mistaken technology for resources. They're not the same thing. No amount of fashionable goyslop products will ever make more resources. And multiple studies have already shown that "green" technologies like compact fluorescents and hybrid cars use MORE resources because their owners think they have more of a surplus than they actually do. The only way to fix any of this is by having fewer humans. And that's going to happen whether the NPCs and their billionaire false gods want it or not.
>>
>>4366571
You're reading things that aren't there
>>
>>4366578
>innovation
No I'm not. You simply don't understand the realities of your own (received) arguments.
>>
>>4366579
I just said it as a small connotation unimportant to my overall argument. You're the one going on a tangent as if you can predict the future.
>>
>>4358610
>"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-"
>"woah calm down, bro. calm down"
>>
>>4366562
who said anything about youtube diet trends ?
change the program NPC
>>
>>
File: 4673408473_8e3927dff2_b.jpg (109 KB, 1022x308)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>4349491
>evolutionary fluke
>design
>a fluke
Lmao
>>
>>4351930
>>4365939
me too.
even as a guy who likes modern paleoart, I always thought that guy's reconstructions were a bit excessive
>>
>>4366978
That's why he gets so much business. Poor ethical behavior sells these days. That's why science, medicine, journalism, politics, etc. are all such a trainwreck.
>>
>>4367001
you're so tiresome

what are you doing here? Go start a paleo hate thread and fuck off already.
>>
>>4367007
You fuck off, you tired old bitch. NPCs like you are completely insufferable. You pollute everything you touch, then get mad when anyone is upset about. Don't worry. There's no need for you to ever speak. When the tide turns you'll just agree with whoever else is in charge then. You weak, brainless little faggot.
>>
>>4367014
hit a nerve huh?
daddy didn't care enough? momma handed you over to the shrink to take care of? Everyone wants to medicate you so they don't have to see or hear your shit, right?

buzz off we don't want you here either. You're defective, angry, and boring.
>>
>>4367016
No you're just consistently, wrong, immoral and annoying.
>>
>>4367018
You're evil so you see everyone and everything else as evil too. You try to justify your own pathetic moral failures by saying everyone else is worse. We all know you're full of shit. You're a failure as a good person. You're certainly not a smart or useful person. Go find something else to do. /pol/ needs their moron back.
>>
>>4367021
I'm not even reading your posts anymore. Just shut the fuck up.
>>
>>4367023
fuck off
go find a hobby. Do something to improve your insane self. Get off the internet for a while. Come back when you're medicated.
>>
Don't get so desperate faggot. I'm sure you still have reddit and/or twitter. Still not reading your posts. Just *tipping* in your direction. Now quadruple madpost some more claiming I'm mad.
>>
are we free? Did the paleoschizo fuck off?

New species of Daspletosaurus out. Suggesting a chronospecies. Sorta what Paul suggested with T. rex but less controversial because nobody cares about Daspletosaurus.

https://phys.org/news/2022-11-species-tyrannosaur-daspletosaurus-wilsoni-hints.html
>>
>>4367119
Probably most interesting for the well-developed jugal foramen with associated pneumaticity. A derived trait in theropods. Also a pretty lacrimal foramen, missing nasal foramen, and patent maxillary fenestra. Ornamentation of the lacrimal and nasal ridge.

to the vidya fan it's interesting that its lower jaw is almost as tall as its upper skull entirely. This was a typical tyrannosaurid built for destroying bones. Enormous nutcracker jaws attached to a relatively tiny brain and face.
>>
File: new-species-of-tyranno-3.jpg (486 KB, 2160x1399)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
>>4367129
the new species matches prior species in having well developed facial foramina on the maxillary and dentary. Reminiscent of crocodiles in number, but more like varanids in arrangement.

Daspletosaurus was famously discovered with facial skin a few years back, resembling the scales on crocodile faces.
>>
>>4367119
Why is their peach fuzz on it? And no, you don't get to pollute, tell lies AND be free. You burn in hell. That's your sentence.
>>
>>4367119
>>4367129
>>4367134
>Feathers in every image
So in other words, we can ignore whatever bullshit paper this is right out the gate and take it for what it is: tabloid bullshit.
>>
>>4367135
>Why is their peach fuzz on it?
I was waiting for you to pipe up about this.

because you can't discuss any of the other speculative traits
>why no bunny ears?
>why doesn't it have horse nostrils?
>why the atlas/atlantal intercentrum hump?
>why the eyelids?
>why no horn on the chin?
>why the horn on the cheek?

listen dumbass, some things we don't know and the artist gets to take liberty with those things. You just say, "ah, that's something we don't know for sure" and you move the fuck on to things that matter. Whether it had fuzz or not doesn't matter.
>>
The answer is and shall always be NO. From now on, if your paper gets published with featherfaggot art, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>4367137
the thing you should be seizing on is that if this is a valid chronospecies so are Paul's new T. species.

probably a far more interesting question than whether or not they had fuzz. But certainly no easier to settle.
>>
>>4367149
>From now on, if your paper gets published with featherfaggot art, it doesn't exist.
nobody asked you to pay attention to it.

In fact I sincerely hoped you'd have fucked off before I posted it.
but better late than never. Fuck off you stupid bitch.
>>
I will not hear the words of liars. I'm no longer listening.
>>
>>4367154
good
go
leave
don't
come
back

fuck off schizo
the power of christ compels you
fuck the fuckety fuck off already
>>
>>4367155
Who said I was going anywhere. I'm not done warding you away from holy science. I'm simply done listening to your lies. Oh no, it's one of my life's goals to see your entire cohort shattered into oblivion.
>>
>>4367156
You really need the attention, huh?
sad
>>
This isn't about me. It's about you. You and your kind are poison to the field and you'll be rooted out.
>>
>>4367156
>it's one of my life's goals to see your entire cohort shattered into oblivion.
I have to run, kiddo. Maybe give your therapist a call, tell them it's an emergency. The evil paleontologists are being mean to you again. Trying to turn your sperm gay. You know the drill.
>>
File: 1651877610537.gif (68 KB, 500x293)
68 KB
68 KB GIF
Is every paleo thread on /an/ like this?
>>
>>4367189
Yes, autists take dinosaurs very seriously.
>>
>>4367189
This board (and website really) are just a bunch of retards arguing for the sake of argument because people lack stimulation from real world conversations and thus have to find an outlet. You are a cog in the machine.
>>
>>4367162
"Just wait here mom!" you exclaim, half yelling, half pleading.
"Ok Jeremy.... make good choices?" Your mom asks as she places the family taurus in park on the dark side of the truck stop.
You ignore her and head for the restrooms. "OPEN 24 HOURS" the sign blinks in gaudy neon.
"This is it. This is where I get my degree" you think to yourself. You push the door open covering your hand with the sleeve of your flannel. Piss covers the floor, graffiti adorns the walls. You choose the first urinal. The kid's urinal, in plain view from the door. You drop your pants and dinosaur boxers to your knees and stare at the door expectantly. Shivering with anticipation. A man in a tweed jacket and wire rim glasses comes in, sees your bare ass and inviting gaze, and immediately turns and almost runs out the door. "He must've had a replication crisis" you think to yourself as he heads away. Minutes pass and you're about to leave in case the scientist reports you to the girl at the counter for sexual harassment. Again. Just as you're hitching up your trousers the door swings open again. A large trucker steps in, sees you. He glances at the floor and chuckles. "This is getting too easy" he mutters. He steps towards you unbuckling his belt with one hand and grabbing your wrist with the other. He drags you roughly into the handicapped stall and introduces himself.
"I'm burly Barry the Bavarian Ball Buster, grab that cripple bar!"
"But it's dirty, I need paper" you begin to protest, but before you can finish he's bent you over the filthy commode and you feel his erect penis pushing against your taint, sliding up your ass crack. You moan and bend over a bit more, presenting your ass with typical mammalian lordosis. Barry spits a gob of mucus onto his hand and wipes it on his cock. You feel the tip of his thick, short choad poking around your frightened anus. He slides into you with a moan and you gasp. "It's just like pooping" you think.
The door opens again
>>
>>4367162
"Is that you Rodriguez?" Barry yells, pausing in his fucking. "Yeah" a voice answers. "Come in here bud, I got another PhD candidate!"
The stall door swings open and a skinny swarthy faggot almost runs in. He quickly unleashes his long thin cock right in your face. "I don't want to suc..." you begin to say, but find Rodriguez' glans pummeling your uvula before you can get the words out. Both men pump violently at your digestive tract, anterior and posterior. Finally Rodriguez screams "Ornithoscelida" and unleashes a gush of hot man chowder down your unwilling throat. You swallow instinctively so you don't drown. Barry thrusts faster, chanting "raptor feathers, raptor feathers!" as he achieves the gayest orgasm ever enjoyed in a truck stop handicapped stall.

Two weeks later your doctor tells you he has some bad news. "I'm afraid you've got Herpes, HIV, HPV, Hepatitis, and Hemorrhoids." "The 5 H's."
"Is it bad, doc?"
"I'm afraid you're a faggot, son."
As your mom pilots the taurus to Panda Express for your General Tsao's Chicken you think to yourself, "chicken is the only feathered dinosaur."
"Hurry up mom, I need to post a dinosaur thread on /an/!"
>>
>destroys dinosaur threads on /an/ forever
>>
File: raging newfaggotry.jpg (26 KB, 600x487)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>4367283
>>
>>4366502
>Only the ones that actually understand ecology.
If they'd understood ecology they'd know cattle can be raised on land that can't really be used for plant based food. They'd also know cattle is carbon neutral.
>>
>>4367311
>They'd also know cattle is carbon neutral.
everything is carbon neutral
it just comes down to speed

cattle release carbon to the atmosphere slightly faster than grass does. Humans release carbon slightly faster than erosion does. Speed is all that matters.

Speed is a device of Shaitan
>>
>>4367314
>cattle release carbon to the atmosphere slightly faster than grass does.
I know what methane is and why its a threat. Still, rumiants existed before civilization (they were a lot of species and we may be responsible for the extinction of some) so why do spicy farts count now in comparison to 10000 years ago? I'm all for capturing methane and making it into energy to get more out of the cycle but thinking cutting meat will slow down CO2 emitions is beyond stupid.
>>
>>4367315
>takes a bite of ribeye
well, son, there are billions more cows now than there used to be.

that's it. Human farts are even worse, but nobody wants to propose the obvious fix.
Corks.
>>
>>4367315
>so why do spicy farts count now in comparison to 10000 years ago?
Probably because there wasn’t a multi billion individual strong population of ruminants in a colossal farming industry 10000 years ago
>>
>>4367319
gotta wonder what kind of literal retard doesn't take change over time into account and thinks they know anything about ecology.

children or bots or fucking drooling idiots farming replies itt.
>>
>>4367319
>Probably because there wasn’t a multi billion individual strong population of ruminants in a colossal farming industry 10000 years ago
Yeah there were different species accounting for a big ass population of individuals, you're understimating how much of them there were before we started farming them.
>>4367320
Cultists can only resort to insults huh.
>>
>>4367326
>Cultists can only resort to insults huh.
that's not an insult

to understand ecology you MUST understand change over time

if you can't grasp this YOU ARE LITERALLY FUCKING RETARDED.
>>
>>4367327
>to understand ecology you MUST understand change over time
You clearly don't if you think cows are the only change over time that matters. If you can't think in terms of multiple variables you should go back to school anon, cause you are fucking retarded and you're buying into an ad hoc hypothesis pushed by journalists and not by scientists.
>>
>>4367356
>anon misunderstands 1+1-2
>explain 1+1=2
>BUT YOU'RE IGNORING 2X2+4!!!

fucking die, moron
>>
>>4367356
>moved the goalposts
>the post

>ignore my fallacy,
>watch my strawman
the post

>I'm a fucking idiot
>but you forgot to mention this other stupid point I also didn't bring up
the post

>misdirection
>ignore my stupidity
the post

you are the post
>>
>>4367356
I'm sorry, you're stupid.

did I say cows are the most important problem?

no.

You pretended I did because I pointed out that you're a fucking idiot. You're still a fucking idiot.
>>
>>4367356
do you ever get tired of being told you're retarded, Jeremy?

GTFO
>>
>>4367356
I mean if you say cows are carbon neutral over a long period of time
and I say cows are carbon contributors over a short period of time
and you say Putin the biggest ecological threat humanity currently faces

do you see how that's changing the subject?
Huh moron?

do you see how Putin is unrelated to the carbon emissions of cows? Or is that beyond your primitive brain?

do you get that that's changing the subject so you don't feel stupid when you made yourself look stupid in public?
>>
>>4367372
>do you get that that's changing the subject so you don't feel stupid when you made yourself look stupid in public?
stop coming on /an/ and saying stupid shit and you'll stop making yourself look stupid.

fin
>>
>>4367189
Well all of paleontology is like this, so yes. Do you think this is an /an/ issue?
>>
>>4367192
>>4367227
>UGH why are people upset about scientists turning the entire discipline of science into lies and propaganda? They should just get a life and watch more sportsball.
You fucking garbage NPCs.
>>
>>4367283
If we're lucky, PP will have destroyed modern paleontology.

>We can say whatever we want and nobody will ques-ACK
>>
>>4367311
Wrong, retard. This is literally what I was talking about: farmer propaganda. Cattle require insane resource inputs. Cattle agriculture alone is responsible for draining several aquifers.
>>
Seriious question. i am uneducated but i wonder if on some distant world a reptile or bug like creature as large as godzilla could possibly exist on some bizarro world? yes am retard
>>
>>4367478
also i keep having the thought that RIGHT NOW as we speak other worlds are going through a dinosaur time with massive beasts roaming at this very moment. i wanna remote view this shit man.
>>
>>4367478
I'm sure there is some combination of physical traits a planet can have to allow such a creature to evolve. Though it could never happen on ours.
>>
>>4367458
Please tell us how china faked feather impressions
>MUH DRAGON BONE TRADE HERE'S A CEMENTED TOGETHER COMPOSITE FOSSIL
Ok but how do they fake feather impressions
>IT MUST BE FAKE BECAUSE XU XING WAS INVOLVED AND CHINA WAS INVOLVED AND ITS A CONSPIRACY TO MAKE DINOSAURS GAY AND MAKE ME FINALLY COME OUT AS A TRANNY! I HATE THE ANTICHRIST!
Ok but how do they fake feather impressions
>ITS BECAUSE THERE'S MONEY IN IT
>APPLE TV IS DESTROYING PALEONTOLOGY BECAUSE T REX HAD A FATTER TORSO
Down to the molecular level
So we can examine these fossilized feathers and identify the remains of pigment molecules that are not used in any sharpie
>I HATE THE ANTICHRIST CHINA WILL NOT MAKE ME TAKE MY ESTROGEN I WILL NOT GROW THE BIG SUCCULENT TITS AND JIGGLY HIPS I ALWAYS WANTED BECAUSE T REX DID NOT HAVE FEATHERS
Seriously how
>>
>>4367311
Cattle can be carbon neutral, on very select plots of land, with select kinds of feed (recycled ag waste and rotating combined use pasture)

The cattle production needed to maintain $5/lb for ground beef depends on subsidized soi and corn production and is absolutely not carbon neutral. It's highly destructive. Because beef is america's dog meat, a magic meat that gives you masculine warrior powers. Americans view beef and bacon the same way chinks view dog and cat and powdered tiger penis. It's borderline medicinal and gives you special energy. People who don't eat it are surely feminine and weak!

Coincidentally cows (and pigs) are roughly as intelligent as dogs and the only strikes against them are being too big, fast growing, lumbering, and aggressive/antisocial to not be an attractive proposition for dinner. While dogs and cats act somewhat like retarded humans and are small and easy to get along with.
>>
I want to drop raptors in africa to see how well they do.
>>
>>4367189
/an/ stands for /angry/
>>
>>4367189
This is actually one of the better ones...
>>
>>4349452
Is that a fucking andrewsarchus?!
>>
File: 1644279253251.png (117 KB, 325x500)
117 KB
117 KB PNG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.