[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 61 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

Halfbeak edition

Previous >>4303386

Discus anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Saltwater shit:
>brs 5 minute guides
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUv9SRB_g8
>https://reefbuilders.com/reef-tank-setup/
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
File: postshrimps.jpg (1.22 MB, 4032x3024)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
damn i missed the first post for shrimpchads. sorry, ill be quicker next thread bros.
>>
Got some cherry barbs and harlequin raspboras breeding in a 120g hightech planted tank. Would shrimp be ok if i added some? Got a low tech 30g with guppies but less plants
>>
>>4308132
shrimp will be OK with any of those. I can't keep them with my odessa barbs though. None of my livebearers, even swordtails, have gone after my shrimp. Opportunistically eaten babies, sure, but only the barbs have piranha the adults apart.
>>
My Staurogyne has not been doing good at all, but last night was the final straw and it just disintegrated overnight.
But there was some new leaves coming through toward the bottom of the stem, so I cut it down to around there.
Was that the right thing to do or did I just kill the plant?
>>
>>4308162
I had some alternanthera rosanervig that was clearly just melting and the stalks stayed but after like 2+ weeks, they never did anything. I cut them near the bottom, too, but none of them have sprouted anything. Maybe there's an invisible root system starting, but I haven't seen anything. I think my hair algae may have killed it for sure. Even though my Co2 wasn't enough, it was literally right next to the output so it had to be getting some. Good light, plenty of ferts. No idea why it happened.

I hope yours fares better, and that we're both right and we see growth soon.
>>
got 10 hastatus today my ph is 7.4.

They started to swim but don't ate anything, i should have bought 20 desu, they are so small in my 10g tank.
>>
Okay, anons. Blue/red pill me on red/blue light. Does it cause algae? Does it fuck with the fish? Good for seeing them at night? What's the deal?
>>
>>4308179
night lights make algae grow like wild, just let the fish be in the dark at night.
>>
Worth?
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketplace/pets-animals/fish/fish-tanks-aquariums/listing/3776777717
The rock and substrate alone would cost me $1k brand new.
>>
File: IMG_20220917_204723.jpg (304 KB, 1665x749)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>4308179
>Algae?
Light causes algae. The wavelength matters but you won't be growing shit with a nightlight.

IME the fish tend to be less receptive/more relaxed with red lights at night versus blue. I'm talking less than 1/4 watts here on a 40gal, I can see my kuhlies flapping about but only in my peripheral with acclimated eyes using red.
Blue isn't absorbed as quickly so it travels further through water, but I've been up at 2-3am and seen fishies pottering about, not explicitly in a sleep mode so still active to a degree - something I didn't notice with red.

Simple to fuck around with if you have a couple LED's, 12VDC source and 200-1k resistors. IIRC this was at about 0.5W and was far too bright in the dark, I ended up tripling the resistance and then covered half of the LED on top.

All that said, fish do perfectly fine in pitch black and 'moon sequencing' is very much in its infancy, only something people spawning corals and difficult fish might care about.
>>
Is cri important at all? Do the fish prefer it? Plants?

Looking at a light that is supposed to be 99 CRI, has a plateau across the range instead of two sharp peaks at blue and red. Would the "worse" CRI make fish pop more and look better?

It's 3800 lumens, so I'm definitely gonna have to dim it down some, but I also want the option to blast diatoms on command in the stupidly tall 55g.
>>
>>4308246
As a lighting amateur (Architectural, display and theatrical luminaires), I say meh.
Architectural, yes, but only insofar as matching colour temp across batches.
Display, very yes. Seen some pretty epic tantrums at galleries where the lighting has been shit enough that even my mouth-breathing ass sided with the divas. Think TN monitor vs IPS for a terrible analogy.
Theatrical, yes, less divas (surprisingly) but heaven hide you if your setup drops a channel mid-performance.

Fish don't care, plants don't care, it's all up to the viewer (you). Plants mostly care about intensity and where those intensity peaks are.
IMO though it is effectively a live art piece, the colour temp should be your focus for aesthetics.
>>
>>4307865
I bought my N. anomala from aquabid last year. They turn up from time to time so keep an eye out for them.
>Also what are other tank params
10 gallon tank with six of them and whatever fry survive, large sponge filter for filtration, bare bottom tank with some driftwood and some moss, room temp 72F-78F depending on the time of year, and I haven't tested the tank parameters but my tap runs at a pH of 7.2, dKH of 1, and a dGH of 1-2 with a TDS of around 45~. As for water changes, I do a 60-70% water change each week.
>>
>>4308246
>low CRI pop better
IMO no, but I guess that would depend on the fish.
Iridescence is a beautiful thing, even a simple blue, teal or green is a blend of many.

My vote is go for a higher CRI and neutral 4-5k, but that is just my vote.
>>
Would a 10g with an apisto pair and 6 pencil fish be overstocked?
>>
>>4308263
Word, I'll focus on my personal preference in temp. I think the fish prefer the natural light given the choice, but can get used to anything so long as it's not blinding.

>>4308352
I'm super tempted to go for as natural as possible, but I have a feeling it won't look as good to my eye. Got any pics?
I'm currently using a grow light for sprouts and it looks way too yellow for me without reds popping. I'm guessing it's about 5.5k. Probably because I'm red-green deficient, which also means I see more blue(fav color) and yellow (least fav) hues and details therein are harder to lose.
Blue light also feels cleaner and more energetic to me in general, which I think fits a crowded community tank better.
>>
Any way beyond continued patience to get rid of tiny particulates in the water? The water is not cloudy or otherwise discolored, and I'm 99% sure the tiny bits get knocked up by bottom feeders and the flow from my filters, because I didn't rinse my substrate much. Doesn't seem to be causing any unhappiness in the fish but it annoys me when I look close because muh Crystal Clear Water.
>>
>>4308416
fine media in the filter.
>>
>>4308417
Oh, well yeah. So basically I need better mechanical filtration, or to give the biofiltration more time to eventually build up heterotrophic bacteria to take care of it?
>>
>>4308416
You could try pond clearing bacteria

Idk how it works but it cleared my muddy tub in a day
>>
File: u wot m8.webm (1.21 MB, 640x360)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB WEBM
>>
>>4308422
depending on what the particulates are bacteria won't necessarily save you. I had a dusty batch of gravel that took a few runs of a filter sock to completely clear up.
>>
>>4308431
I've never used filter socks, how do they work? Is it just like a condom for the filter? If so that seems an easy solution and I'll give it a go, otherwise I may just give it a few days without disturbing the substrate myself (I'm always fucking with the plants, it seems like) and if that doesn't work I guess I'll get some 40ppm to run through for a bit.
>>
>>4308416
it's all about that substrate cleaning

you should have done a final substrate cleaning in the tank before adding the fish
otherwise you would have needed a lot more water to wash your substrate beforehand
>>
>>4308436
yeah basically, you can do it on the intake but the outlet is better since it will accumulate on the outside of the intake and go everywhere when you try to remove it. I just rubberbanded ghetto ones on the outlet of the powerhead running my undergravel filter and added an airstone to offset the reduction in surface disruption.
>>
File: pixlr_20220923150137800.jpg (1.08 MB, 1668x1668)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Starting my first tank in years. Trying to plan out the hardscape. Should I add more or do you guys think this looks ok?
>>
>>4308468
Why the towel?

You could just cut squares of cloth and put them under the rock if you're looking to protect the glass
>>
File: 20220809_203933.jpg (896 KB, 1816x2786)
896 KB
896 KB JPG
Who /micro tank/ here? Is 3 gallons cruel for this guy? It's been about 6 months and his fins have all healed since I got him
>>
>>4308457
Oops. Guess I'll do a few days of filter socking and/or some polishing medium.
>>
>>4308473
3g isn't cruel but that water isn't the best looking. If you haven't, it's a good idea to fill the space between cartridges with k1 micro or similar biomedia. Then next time you go to replace the cartridges, just throw them away and fill the extra space with more of that media.
>>
File: 20220809_190016.jpg (1.09 MB, 2241x1816)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>4308476
The filter is full of ceramic bio media
I never use the cartridges. Also water now has almond leaves in it so it's a bit brown and more acidic
>>
Ok I have a question and hopefully y'all have an answer for me, I looked up some natural ways of clearing ich from a tank due to the inability to use meds now that I have shrimp in the tank and one of the suggestions was using aquarium salt in small doses.
Would I be able to substitute normal aquarium salt with coarse kosher salt and what would be the dosing for a 8-10g cube tank
>>
>>4308470
It's only temporary. I was using it to protect the bottom of the tank while I dicked around with the rocks
>>
>>4308486
Make sure the salt isn't ionized

Also increase temp to 82 degrees

I've had success this way

Higher temperatures increases the ich life cycle, and they can't reproduce in the salty water
>>
>>4308500
Iodized *
>>
I'm thinking of getting more shellies to add to my current trio. I don't have a quarantine tank though, should I still do it and med them in the main tank with the original three?
>>
>>4308509
Are they typically wild caught? Is that the concern?
>>
>local pet store started selling salt water fishes
is it worth the hassle? or is it an expensive meme?
>>
>>4308514
It's just a different hobby

In some respects freshwater is more dynamic in what you can do with your tanks, but salt water fish are stunning
>>
File: 20220923_081659.jpg (3.59 MB, 4032x3024)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
>>4308500
Any dosing recommendations for my tank size? I figured that it had to be pure salt already but I don't want them to go into shock over how much salt I would put in there.
If anything I plan to dissolve the salt in some tank water separately from the tank itself before putting it in.
Pic related for the salt i have and the tank ill be treating. Only ingredients it says it has besides salt is yellow Prussian of soda.
>>
>>4308512
Nah they're not, just not sure what diseases they have may have from the store. The LFS is pretty good quality wise, but can't ever be too cautiout.
>>
>>4308521
Dissolve a teaspoon in tank water in a cup
Once fully dissolved pour it in the tank

I was doing a teaspoon of salt/10 gallons per day for 2 or 3 days
Increased water temp, and then after 1 days did several water changes
>>
>>4308528
10 days*
>>
>>4308528
>>4308532
So basic steps:
1. teaspoon of dissolved salt for 10 gallons per day
2. dose for at least 3 days
3. only do water changes after 10 days or treatment?
Wanted to clarify just so I don't fuck this up.
>>
File: 0fishflush.jpg (100 KB, 960x1200)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>4308538
This is what I did with success. Increasing water temp is a crucial component too. Once you understand the life cycle of ich it becomes easier to beat.

Ich is a parasite with 3 distinct life phases.

1. The developmental stage, where it has hatched and is free floating in the water looking for a host.
At this stage it is vulnerable to medications like malachite green.

2. The parasitic trophont phase. This is where it's attached to the fish to feed and you see it as white raised dots. Medications do nothing at this stage, however higher temperatures speed up the duration of this phase.

3. The mature reproductive stage. The ich leaves the host to stick to the glass or substrate to reproduce. It is also not affected by medications at this stage. However freshwater ich cannot reproduce in saltier water.

The salt+heat method works by speeding up the feeding stage, then the mature ich starves before they can reproduce because they can't reproduce in salt water.

Once you understand the life cycle it becomes easier to manage
>>
So the loaches came out today, and boy did they come out. At least two swimming pretty crazily, then resting, then noodling some more. Since I hadn't seen them out, it kind of scared me because I don't know when crazy swimming is normal or a sign of something. I did check the ammonia to be safe, and it looks fine. Air bubbles still going, but I turned off the extra flow so maybe they're just enjoying the ability to swim around?
>>
tips for painting the back of the tank?

Just spray? or is it a better painting for the glass?
>>
>>4308592
Use matte black paint or just save yourself the hassle and use a piece of black card
>>
>>4308603
card backgrounds never look quite as good as paint. I find black oil based paint is the best provided the tank isn't already set up, it's extremely durable and coats well on glass. Acrylic can be OK too but you should do more coats, sanding the back a little can help with adhesion, as will letting a first coat dry well before applying second and possibly third coats. You also have to avoid getting it wet. I don't recommend spraypaint, just doesn't coat that well on glass.

I just do acrylic painted with a small brush these days most of the time. Oil based cleanup is too annoying for the marginal benefit it offers over acrylic.

>>4308590
sometimes it just takes a few days for them to feel settled. If the flow was very high that can be hard on some freshwater fish too but usually flow isnt the main issue except for fish that are very weak swimmers like flowy finned stuff
>>
So I'm drip acclimating my new shrimp, but since I thought they were arriving tomorrow, I hadn't done the clean up and water change I intended to. Should I try to rush and do it before they're fully acclimated or put them in and wait day or two more to do it?
>>
>>4308619
if they're freshwater shrimp honestly just test the water they're in and if it's not crazy different toss them in. Maybe some gigasmashed bee strains might keel over but I've never bothered acclimating my neos or bee shrimp.
>>
Okay, amanos are in. The khulis are so cute, they've begun a noodle pile behind the heater (should I be worried about that?). The shrimp were kind of sprinting around, so I cut the lights in a double fuck you hair algae and lessen the stress because that was also my Kuhli's first 25% water change.
>>
File: 20220923_144349.jpg (1.7 MB, 4000x1800)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>4308623
I'm going to acclimate more going forward based on my limited experience, unless I'm just okay eating ~15% whenever I introduce shrimp. I've lost 2 of 12 cherries, but now they seem fine and lively, especially since they've discovered active hunting. I thought they were trying to escape or spazzing at first.
>>
>>4308514
It's certainly not for the poor, but if I had to choose between my freshwater tank and my saltwater, no contest; I'd keep my reef.
>>
File: 15 gal.jpg (117 KB, 995x1001)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>4308663
Is it possible to do like a nano reef? Something like the fluval kit, 15 gallon.

Way in the future, I would probably love to have a little reef.
>>
>>4308365
If they start breeding, yes. The female may be quite aggressive.
>>
File: 20220923_070334.jpg (1.86 MB, 3873x1743)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>4308630
It's good to reduce stress, but don't do it at the expense of water quality.
The first week for 40 of my fish (and the second week for the rest, the batch with ich) was nothing but Ich X and water changes, every day. Didn't lose one despite many having fin rot, hole in head, etc on arrival.
>>
>>4308666
Of course. Most famous example is Coralfish12g's youtube channel, who literally had a 12G reef with two clownfish during his college dorm years. I started out with a 20G reef myself.

But I would warn that just because it's small doesn't mean it's cheap. I mean we've all probably spent more than we envisioned in just a small planted tank. Costs overruns happens way faster in a reef tank. Could you keep it cheap? Sure. Is it likely to happen? No.
>>
>>4308603
>>4308610
thx for the tips
>>
>>4308668
Considering the pencils are top swimmers, wouldn't that be less of an issue?
>>
>>4308687
I think so. I've never kept pencils but I do have hatchetfish in a 20G long. They do still get chased occasionally but it is certainly far less than a mid-swimmer would (I used to have neons). I'd say it's worth a shot, just have a divider ready just in case.
>>
Filter broke
>>
>>4308696
You should have spares
>>
File: images.jpeg-206.jpg (35 KB, 640x480)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
A while ago I posted about one of my cories wasting away and dying.

Well, since then another cory succumbed to the same fate and a third is clearly on the way too. All 3 were the same: progressively getting thinner and weaker despite eating well, then on the last few days developing frayed fins and lying down on their side before finally dying.

I did post on fishlore and they helped me with some other stuff but not the actual reason this is happening. In fact there's dozens of threads on fishlore about cories dying one by one like this but no definite solution. They always chalk it up to bad water parameters but my water is perfect and every other inhabitant of the tank is thriving. Otherwise they talk about parasites but I treated for parasites and this changed nothing.

Does anyone on /an/ have any idea what the shit is going on?
>>
>>4308670
Oh no, it's small mostly because of space rather than price.
>>
>>4308696
>You should have spares
I have a bubbler Instead
>>
>>4308669
Then, should I cut the light back on or did you mean the water changes?

I have read that turning it off will allow the shrimp to adjust and have less stress, but will doubly give them a leg up on eating algae (some people do blackout days, I suppose?)
>>
>>4308700
A good spare is a sponge or corner filter full of filter media, keep them both in the tank so if the hang on the back ever goes, you still have filtration to keep ammonia and nitrites down
>>
>>4308698
I had the same thing happen to some of my habrosus corys (same species if that's your pic), never figured out why. Of my first batch of 7, 4 of them did what you described over the space of three or four weeks, and the other three I still have over a year later. Best I could figure out was some sort of pathogen + high bacterial load in the water due to (at the time) subpar filtration, which eventually resulted in something that fucked with their swim bladder and resulted in death.

Never figured it out, and no other fish in the tank at the time, nor other types of Corys that I've gotten and that share a tank now, ever had the same issues.
>>
>>4308700
Is that a fucking bluegill? Neat native if so, but looks hella big for that tank.
>>
>>4308706
Not my pic but yeah mine are also habrosus. I really don't think this is a water quality issue (unless cories are secretly the most fucking sensitive fish in the hobby) because I haven't had a single death in this aquarium except for them, and also there are just too many cases of the exact same thing happening.
I'm straight up going to preserve the recently dead cory and any subsequent ones in formalin. Either I'll find someone to look at them or I'll do it myself if anything remains after however many years, because I'm on my way to becoming a pathologist anyway.
>>
>>4308698
Do they release toxins or something if stressed? I’ve heard some stories about it
>>
>>4308716
Yes it is there's a channel catfish in there too. They're getting moved into a giant fish tank By Christmas. I didn't expect them to grow this big in a couple months When I 1st bot them they were about the length of my thumbnail
>>
>>4308736
I'm reading about this now, really interesting, thanks anon.
My questions though are a) then why do only the cories die while other fish remain alive and happy?
And b) all the sources describe the poison as acting very quickly, whereas these cases of mass cory deaths typically occur slowly over the course of weeks-months.
>>
File: slab_queen_1.jpg (407 KB, 1283x1283)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
>>4308791
My plan is to feed Him so much food that he gets to be this big
>>
>>4308793
Could be they release enough of a dose into their transport bags to permanently damage an organ - liver or swim bladder I'd guess - and that eventually results in death. The fact that habrosus are particularly susceptible could be a venom:fish size ratio thing. Seems to fit with anecdotal evidence, which week to have nearly zero success stories regardless of intervention once they start to have problems.

Corys are otherwise very hardy fish, and most of them are tank bred and raised, so there's not a lot of other rationale beyond genetics, or just being semi-scaleless fish and so maybe more prone to ammonia poisoning.
>>
>>4308791
Jesus christ anon, I doubt they'll make it to Christmas especially with a broken filter. And unless you have a big pond - measured in acres not gallons - a channel catfish is going to probably eat everything else in the tank.

Legitimately curious, how big of a tank do you have planned? Or are you going to release the channel after some time?
>>
>>4308800
>permanently damage an organ
That actually makes a lot of sense. Another thing I considered is fish TB but I don't know how likely that is if only cories are getting sick.
But damn, how am I supposed to keep cories now? I can't control how the pet store retard bags them. Doubt I'll be buying them ever again which hurts because they're some of the best fish I've ever had while they're alive
>>
>>4308804
It's going to be 8ft long Still working out the rest of the dimensions
>>
>>4308811
Most of my corys have been fine, across several breeds, the only ones I've lost were the habrosus. I think you gotta just expect a few casualties, sadly. Or ask that they bag each fish individually, or bring like a 5g bucket of treated water to take them home in? Corys would be fine for a short drive, they are facultative air breathers

>>4308813
That seems like a bad idea, don't channels get to 50lbs? You'll never get clear water with that much waste. Plus won't it cost a ton to feed it, once it's done eating any other fish?
>>
>>4308825
Yeah but it takes like 10 years and I'll release it by then
>>
>>4308797
So much makeup, her skin looks like an unfired clay pot.
>>
>>4308886
I think those are just large pores. You can still see that mole on her face so it'd be pretty weird to just over-apply it around her mouth.
>>
>>4308703
Sorry, I meant the khulis won't mind water changes at all. They seem to like it. I kinda brain farted on the shrimp. I'm actually super paranoid about doing water changes with them so I've been sticking to just shrimp and tons of plants.

People say it doesn't matter, I always turn lights low for new fish for a bit and then turn them off for a couple hours. The new shrimp definitely calmed down with the light off.
>>
>>4308723
Anything that resembled TB?
Cory's in general seem to be very sensitive to bacteria, a la red belly, so I'd look in that direction. Water in an aquarium has a wide range of bacteria within self settling equilibriums we haven't the faintest clue about, which can vary immensely from tank to tank. Maybe something in some microsystem of a corner of the aquarium goes out of wonk for a day on its own and that's all it takes.
>>
>>4308946
Sorry, just saw you mentioned TB here:
>>4308811
>>
>>4308834
Be sure to check and make sure it is not native to whatever waterway you're releasing it into. You wouldn't want your baby to get outcompeted by someone else in his niche.
>>
Looking at the symptoms of wo neons that just can't seem to recover from columnaris no matter (full dose treatment slowed progress, didn't even stop it), I think snaggletooth is right that NTD is basically just neons of shitty stock kept in shitty tanks and then shipped getting sick with (insert one or more of many diseases with overlapping symptoms). I think it's borderline a justification people use. "Well, it's an incurable disease, no point using more mo-medicine!" Which is completely fair even without the justification.
Add to this my dad had neons die with twisted spines all the time with nothing else showing up.
>>
>>4308960
neons are a blackwater fish so they have inherently shit immune systems.Just get them in super overfiltered/sterilized or highly acidic water.
>>
>>4308968
No doubt.
Most are okay to excellent in the main tank (55g with cascade 1500 due for a cleaning this weekend). There's two I need to keep an eye on. No fuzz, just a bit white where new fin filled in rips and missing chunks they came with.
Glad I bought Indian almond leaves on a whim, or I'd probably be getting hammered.
>>
>>4308976
indian almond leaves are woowoo newage magic bullshit desu. All of the studies (most funded by the thai government or other interested parties) that show them being helpful are looking at tannic acid dosed at the levels you'd get from taking an entire garbage bag of them and boiling it. Even if there is a benefit I'm sure just about any dried leaf litter would provide it. I feed dried japanese maple leaves to my shrimp and isopod colonies.
>>
>>4308976
Any dead plant matter aquarium product is pretty much horseshit. Alder cones, leaves etc. Its not that they don't work at all, its just that you would need an absurd amount of them to have any affect on the water whatsoever. The only thing the leaves are sort of good for is a hiding place for fry or sometimes a laying site for substrate spawners, but there are many, many more cost effective options for that. My personal favorite is birch bark, but any aquarium safe leaf will work fine, whatever you have access to. If you actually want to lower the ph, use ro on your water changes and after the ph drops to about 7, put peat moss in your filtration. Would recommend agaisnt it though, clean water and consistent parameters should be more than enough.
>>
>>4308990
either that or be like me and be getting sub 6.4pH ~20tds water out of the tap. I learned the hard way that low pH problems are much, much more cancerous than high pH problems though. My fish actually got healthier when I quit changing the water all of the time.
>>
why are marine land filters such nigger fucking bullshit, you unplug it for 5 minutes to clean out shit and when you plug it back in you automatically take a 60% chance that it just doesnt fucking tuen back on. every time with fucking 4 of these, does anyone make a filter that just fucking works for once?
>>
>>4308999
learn how to build a sump or just use internal filters. cans and hobs are both cringe. undergravel filters are the best filters you can use short of a well designed sump and you can easily use both in a tank for GIGACLEAR water.

i used to be a fishkeeper but now i'm a water autist, if it doesn't look like the fish are swimming in air i hate it.
>>
>>4308979
>>4308990
No shit? Well, I got hit with the placebo effect, so I'm gonna keep using the ones I have at the bare mininum.
>>
>>4309006
>>4308990
>>4308979
Too add, I wasn't retarded enough to think it would drastically alter water chemistry like pH. But I figured even a little tannins could make a big difference over none at all.
>>
>>4309006
they're not bad for your tank or antthing and I am an advocate of leaf litter and real wood for providing nutrients to microfauna. But the effects of tannic acid are minimal and any old leaf can give you that.

Aquarium hobby is 95% scams 5% actual good products. All herbal or 'natural' fish medicines are basically woowoo. Antibioics can help but really the best cure for any bacterial issue is cleaning up the water, adding more filtration and letting the fish's immune systems deal with it.
>>
File: 29.jpg (3.45 MB, 4032x3024)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
man i really love this tank. i'm finally more or less happy with all of the animal enclosures in my office. my terrarium has some growing to do but the hardscape looks good. Might need to switch the light at some point to get better plant growth.

anyone who keeps fish who is also not a heavy drinker is missing out btw, nothing quite like your third old fashioned of the night when you're watching fish and listening to Burzum.
>>
I have a brand new 40 breeder and Tidal 75 HOB that i got a good deal on sitting around. Currently have of couple 10-20 gallons community tanks that i put together over the last few years figuring out the hobby.

Feel like i have a good handle on keeping fish now, and i would like to consolidate a bit with the new 40b being the main tank. Just not sure what to stock it with.

Thinking about a pair or two of rams, either german or electric blue. Decent school of rummynose tetras. Then a couple cories.

What do you guys think? I've indecisive and putting off setting this up for too long.
>>
thoughts on fish medications?
pimafix/melafix herbal stuff?

do you have access to all the heavier medications that actually work etc?
>>
>>4309048
Looks fucking immaculate. Well done on the cleaning on top of everything else.
I'm more glad for you then jealous, unless you're also the flag fish guy with a successful crinum, in which case a plague of redditors upon thee.
>>
>>4309105
I will swear by Ich X. It even seems to help with fin rot which it's not supposed to.
>>
>>4309105
>>4309118
I agree, Ich X, and likely any malachite green-based medication, really works for freshwater.

Otherwise I haven't really found a situation where medication works at all, and certainly not better than just making sure water quality is absolutely top notch and letting a fish's natural immune system and healing do its thing.
>>
>>4308960
Some of the neon tetras on display at the Denver Zoo had twisted spines. Same zoo had very healthy freshwater rays among other rare and difficult fish, so I'm guessing it's not that the literal professionals are shitty fish keepers.
>>
>>4309105
Melafix is voodoo garbage, and potentially can increase water borne bacteria to eat it. Prazipro, ich-x, and maracyn are all real and effective - far more effective added to food rather than waterborne of course. Regardless of how or which one is used, they all will cut down on the pathogen load a fish is dealing

>>4309048
Based Odessa bro. Looks very clean and nice, you have every reason to be proud of it.

>>4309096
Sounds great, rummynose are awesome fish. Get more than two corys though, 6+ minimum. Or if you don't care about snails, get a swarm of dwarf loaches instead, rosy and chain loaches are interchangeable but incredibly active and fun to watch.

>>4308999
Petco/petsmart house brands are garbage designed to sell replaceable cartridges. Idk why other anon is against canisters but he's right you should do different filtration. I recommend an air powered moving bed filter - the chinkshit ones are $18 or so on Amazon - it's the best type of you can get, provides top tier aeration and biofiltration. Just make sure whatever you replace with, you keep the old one running a week or two for the new one to grow bacteria.
>>
>>4309234
thoughts on pimafix as well?

any uses for tetracycline or the derivative or whatever it is minocycline?

what to do for fungus?
>>
>>4309234
im not against canisters or even hang on backs per se but they're pretty much just expensive plug and play sumps. That also leak more than a well built sump, canisters are basically fated to leak within 5 years.

I don't run external filtration over a floor i care about for that reason.
>>
File: IMG_20220924_080329067~2.jpg (1.51 MB, 3115x2416)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>4309116
Rude. It's still thriving tho.
>>
>>4309237
https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/12-10-the-shotgun-approach/
>>
File: IMG_20220924_090629396~2.jpg (681 KB, 1885x3246)
681 KB
681 KB JPG
These dudes really are aquatic cockroaches. I've seen three different pure orange tiny guys, one definitely with stripes, a few weeks after the last adult decided to keel over.

All three have been male as far as I can tell, but still, I'm amazed how survivable some shrimp species can be.
>>
>>4309237
not him but really the meds you want to have on hand at all times are
ich x/malachite green and/or a methlyene blue based solution (to answer your fungus question, this is what you do for fungus),
a gram positive antibiotic like erythromicin or penicillin
a gram negative/broad spectrum antibiotic like one of the tetracyclines, amoxicillin or kanaplex
Paracleanse is also a good product imo, contains both metronidazole and praziquantel, the praziquantel is the active ingredient that kills parasites but the antibiotic helps deal with secondary infections and gives you another antibiotic option.

If you copy and paste the active ingredient into google and its not also used in humans or furry animals, its probably shit. If they don't tell you the active ingredient it's guaranteed to be shit.
>>
>>4308946
>>4308948
None of them had any external signs of septicemia (no red spots, etc). I did suspect TB, but all the signs were pretty unspecific so honestly I don't think I'll ever know for sure unless I actually take them to a lab.
>>
are planarians bad for fish? Why the fuck do I have so many of these god damn things. I don't even overfeed
>>
>>4309265
thank you ocean master.

do you have resources you can point me to that can explain some of the things you're telling me so i know how to use them?
i've managed to find a source for all of them at this point but then it's using it that'll be most confusing

>>4309275
take this guy
i've already got planaria-fix in sight for the fix but snails being killed will be a problem. once used are snails off limits to the tank until it's filtered by carbon or is it even longer than that?
do i use the gram positive and negative at the same time?
i didnt think ich was actually a fungus but a parasite? or am i getting confused
>>
>>4309275
Sometimes you just get a few hitchhikers on plants and other shit from your LFS. Even a well looked after tank can have enough organic matter to cause a population explosion. I don't think they hurt fish but they do kill shrimp.
I can vouch for picrel genociding them in minutes without harming any other creatures (except snails, might want to take out any valuable ones). No reason not to, fuck them.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 627x627)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>4309279
Sorry I'm retarded
>>
>>4309280
tried this, took me a few doses over some days but it seems that all my hydra were nuked.
>>
>>4309272
You probably wouldn't even then. Most common pathogens are extant in every aquarium.

Meanwhile, that time of year when I get direct sunlight. Time to farm some algae.
>>
>>4309280
Warning, kills snails dead.

Get some small fish, endlers or micro rasboras or medaka or similar, and the planaria will get eaten, or at least enough that it won't matter. Or use a planaria trap. Idk I've never had problems with them in my shrimp tank, despite seeing a bunch at one point. And fish, particularly juves, love to eat them, I think they're the second favorite naturally occurring food in my tank, after bladder snail eggs.

>>4309276
Depending on your luck, Snails may never be safe again in the glass without a full bleach cleaning, but you can probably carbon it for a few weeks and be OK. Just put in ramshorn or similar before anything you care about..
>>
>>4309284
yep just like with humans by far the best way to deal with pathogens is via their own immune systems. "first do no harm" in a fish tank means before you need to resort to medicines you focus on getting the environment on point. There's a whole host of stressors you should look at

-Temperature
-Nitrogenous waste
-diet
-School size/gender ratio (too small of a school usually makes aggression, so does too many males)
-Lighting
-presence of other aggressive fish
-something that constantly spooks the fish (for example if its a high traffic area)
-scape (not enough plants, not enough swimming space, not enough hiding places)
-lack of stimulation

Every species has slightly different needs in these regards, and in many cases its not well documented, any one of these may not be a problem but they can compound. It's not to say you need to consider this before using meds to cure an infection, but if your setup is deficient in something meds are just going to be a band aid and then a constant moneysink as fish keep getting sick.

>>4309276
Ich is a parasite, but a lot of drugs will work on multiple diseases. I cant say I understand how it works but ich-x generally works on fungal infections from my experience, and methlyene blue has long been used to prevent fish eggs from getting fungus. Note that both can stain plastics/silicones in the tank so its best to apply them in a hospital tank unless you like the blue look.

The aquariumscience guy that was linked is a great source on a lot of things.

>>4309275
Planaria are fish food. They can kill molting shrimp but having had a planaria infested shrimp colony, they never killed enough to actually hurt the colony. I haven't seen any in there for months now so I'm assuming they somehow died out. I did buy some no planaria but held off on dosing it under the patience principle and it seems to have paid off. I think they must lay eggs and the shrimp must be eating them.
>>
>>4309224
That's not what I was implying. Kind of the opposite, in that the twisted spine isn't a symptom of any form of infection necessarily, let alone NTD, but rather a matter of genetic stock.
>>
>>4309316
thanks for the tips

is the tank itself infected with ich?
>>
>>4309322
Yeah I wasn't clear, but I was agreeing it was some sort of genetic weakness, since even people who do it full time can't get them perfectly healthy in a long established, big tank that has filtration most could only dream of.
>>
>>4309276
Slightly related but I used flubendazole on my tank to get rid of flukes a while ago. Took out as many inverts as I could but I had so many Cherry Shrimp that I couldn't get them all. After a week I did a large water change, added carbon to my filter and waited another week before reintroducing the inverts. Cherries in the tank were fine, after reintroduction my Cherries, Amanos and a lone Ramshorn snail suffered no consequences but all my Nerites died shortly after. I don't really know what to make of this finding but I guess it depends on the species?
>>
File: 20220924_112627.jpg (744 KB, 2576x1160)
744 KB
744 KB JPG
>>4309341
FUCK TO THE YES!
Literally right where I glut nuked a couple hydra 12 hours ago.
>>
File: 20220924_112955.jpg (722 KB, 1160x2576)
722 KB
722 KB JPG
>>4309343
Nice, on another pane. I hope the moss is brimming.
>>
>>4309329
can be. You can either treat the tank and accept blue silicon or move all fish to another tank for like a month or so and the protazoans will all die off without fish to reinfect.
>>
>>4309341
>>4309343
Sorry, I meant to as what dosing you used for my own reference and then I sperged out when I saw shrimplets.
>>
>>4309349
I used 1ml per 50L. One dose was all I needed.
>>
you can get carried away with spending right? any tips for dealing with this?

>what my spending has turned out like
>>
>>4309364
I only have room for one tank in my place, so I'm physically unable to spend more. Try hoarding useless junk.
>>
Will Thrive C or Excel hurt my shrimp/khuli loaches?

I have been dosing at least 5ml a day for the Excel and 5 ml three times a week for the Thrive C, 29 gallon planted trying to fight off the hair algae menace.
>>
>>4309382
Before adding these guys, I've paused because I wasn't certain it was ok for them. The Thrive C has a minute amount of copper in it...
>>
>>4309385
The amount in the C shouldn't be enough to hurt them, unless you overdose.

>>4309364
Goddamn right you can. I've spent nearly $1000 on my 30 gallon - picked up for $75 with hood and stand from FBM so assumed (by the wife) to be a cheap project. Most of the cost was plants and fish, had I been trying to save money and been patient, probably could have done the full thing for $500ish.

Worth every penny to me, though. if I wasn't spending it there I'd have spent it on clothing I'd rarely/never wear or board games I might never play, and I enjoy the tank any time I enter my dining room. End of the day it's a hobby, you can spend $100 or $1000 or $10k for the same basic thing, it's just what your budget and goals are.
>>
Here are my tap water params :
4 KH
6 GH
7.5 PH
Do you think I can keep taiwan or tiger bees in it ? PH seems to high but KH and GH are fine so I don't know.
Also if I need to lower my PH, do I need to lower my KH first ?
>>
>>4309382
My kuhlis seem unaffected by even double doses of excel. Haven't tried it with shrimp yet, except gluteraldahyde equivalent to about 1.5ml excel to spot treat.
>>
>>4309385
shrimp blood contains copper buddy, it's an essential mineral for them. tiny amounts of copper will not kill them.

That said, why are you dosing excel? it's an algaecide, same. what they claim excel does on the bottle is bullshit. It's good at killing hair algae and that's all I'd use it for. If you have access to easygreen just use that.
>>
>>4309420
>can I keep tigers/bees
Probably not, unless you mean King Tigers or its morphs (tangerine tigers). You'd be fine with king/tangerine tigers, babaulti zebras, and neos. Plus the hardy shit like amano, Malawa, or ghost. If it's stable, you also have good water to probably keep sulawesi shrimp, barring unexpected heavy metals or chloramine, which are absolutely the best looking freshwater shrimp by a fair margin but cost fuck-off money, $30+/ea usually, if you can even source them.

>KH drop to lower pH
Yes, offhand I think it's 3+ KH when it's really hard to lower pH. You can use a substrate that lowers pH and it'll absorb the KH to 0 and drop ph to the low-mid 6s, but it eventually wears out (3+ mo), so you'll want to minimize water changes and keep an eye on KH after a few months, or you may wake up to a bunch of dead Bee shrimp one morning. Alternatively, you can source and remineralize RO water but really, just get the color morph of king tigers, babaulti, and neos, as behavior is the same and a close approximation of your ideal color is probably available between those three. It's also much cheaper if the new tank crashes to lose some $2 neos than $6 bees or $15 blue tigers.
>>
File: 71zqYpVcWHL.jpg (240 KB, 1414x1414)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>4309428
>easygreen
>paying for water
Sasuga, Cory.
>>
>>4309432
Thanks, I didn't know about babaulti zebras, they're very pretty, I might try my hand at them.
>>
>>4309439
This guy fucks. I'll give you tree fitty to stick your hand in the Potassium Sulfate for a minute.
>>
Gold tetra vs CPD? Thoughts? Which one would do better in a 12g?
>>
>>4309452
Nice. But using miracle grow to jack off is way cooler.
>>
>>4309446
Ok reading a bit about caridina babauldi, I'm curious now. Babauldi shrimps come in all kinds of colors, can they cross breed ? If a zebra and a green breed, any chance they would produce green-stripped shrimps ?
Also, I guess they are a completely different specy so they can't breed with neos or cantonensis ?
>>
>>4309463
Yes to all questions, but the zebra is line bred from green (the wild type, I think) so more will likely revert back that way more than ending up with green striped. Be aware that the green/wild types can change colors (like a shitty chameleon), that's most of the variation you're seeing. My zebras go from perfect black and white to tan with burnt orange stripes and anywhere in between, some individuals changing often and some never. The orange eyes seem to be about 50/50 but don't change. They're also the slowest breeding and shyest of the mixed breeds I've kept, I didn't see them out and about much before they got to at least 20 in the colony.
>>
>>4309428
I'm trying to kill hair grass.
>>
>>4309477
hair algae, jesus, not grass lol
>>
>>4309473
Thanks ! Interesting, all of it. The slow breeding pace is a bit of a bummer, but I think I'll still get some. I don't really care about them being shy, they'll have plenty of places to hide, and won't be bothered by anything except for snails.
>>
So can I leave a sinking wafer in my tank for the inhabitants to finish it when they like, or must I take it out after 20min like the package says?
>>
>>4309522
I feel like it depends on the size of the tank and the gusto of your cleaning crew.
>>
>>4309522
Depends on what's eating it, but I wouldn't touch it for several hours. Or the best choice is probably to just leave it, note how long it takes to finish, and go at least 2x that time between adding food
>>
>>4309439
This.
Goes for almost every over the counter mix. Seachem Flourish, for example, is a smidge over 1% dissolved/suspended solids by volume.
A 2L bottle of it would cost me $126, that would be $1 for the liquid, $5 for the bottle and cap, $120 for 20-25g of trace elements.

Instead I bought 500g of dry micro mix and cobbled together a combined 5.5kg of macro, not including the 25 and 20kg of KNO3/Urea I already had, for the same price of a 2L mix, and I can make about 90L before I run out of ammonium nitrate.
>>
>>4309522
10gal with some cories and a ton of shrimp
>>4309553
Thanks anon. I'm just paranoid from everyone online claiming that you will kill your tank if you leave uneaten food in it for 0.05 seconds. But I've also been paranoid that I'm starving my shrimp. I'll leave it next time.
>>
>>4309614
IMO, the 'clean your shit' rule is aimed at new people that will throw half the fishes weight in food at it twice daily, overfeeding and the huge amounts of nutrients released on decomp after sitting in the tank for a month being the issue. "Why are my ammonia and nitrate readings so high?!?!?!".
The same people are who 50% water changes weekly orders are aimed at.

Almost as bad as overfeeding are the people that parrot the same bullshit over and over again because the barrier to entry for this hobby is so low, you can thank Dunning-Kruger for that. You're questioning the norm, you're already better than most people.
>>
Get a small 40-120gal reef as my first or just go full retard and fit the biggest one i can in my room?
>>
Just finished setting up my 36 gallon bow front. its my first tank. So I tested everything and it says zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate and a PH of 7.6. Should I still wait a few weeks to put fish in?
>>
>>4309637
120g is probably the biggest you can fit to be honest. But if you've got the money, bigger is always better.

Make sure it's on a ground floor. Many house floors can't withstand a 100g+ tank.
>>
>>4309684
its a fake plant tank also.
>>
>tfw just starting to set up 2 new tanks
>saw tanner's hack for building rimless tanks from ikea shelves
I suddenly want a rimless tank
>>
File: IMG_20201024_162946.jpg (2.3 MB, 4208x1892)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
>>4309688
>Can't withstand
Good sir, I spared no expense at the construction of my humble room. As you can see, only the finest unleveled concrete touches my carpet.
>>
>>4309684
>>4309689
>0 everything
>No plants
I think if you know enough to test, you should know you're rushing things.
I'm going to guess that either you have not had it sitting for more than a week or you are not adding in decomposing organic matter to start the cycling process.
>>
>>4309684
what fishes are you planning to get?
>>
>>4309710
idk I got it set up. I added some of that API quick start and some tap water conditioner when I checked it after a day it said 0 everything and a PH of 7.6-7.8 according to the test kit im using. should I also be sprinkling fish flakes in there? I wasnt going to go with live plants.
>>
>>4309712
I wanted some tetras, not really sure about what else.
>>
>>4309724
Read at least 1 (one) article on what the nitrogen cycle is.
>>
>>4309724
or should I just go get a few live plants with some root tabs and plant them?
>>
>>4309726
tetras are sturdy and they should withstand an unicycle tank, but don't add anything else until you get some nitrates readings, good luck
>>
>>4309705
Just saw that video too. Crafty dude, that one. One thing he really should have mentioned though, a lot of those expensive rimless tanks are low iron. Those Ikea shelves are thick and sturdy but are not window grade, so they will have more of a green tint than normal (exacerbated by its hefty thickness). It may not matter to many people, but it should've been mentioned.

>>4309637
Depends on your experience level and patience. The issue with going big on your first try is that if you fuck up and want to redo, it's a bigger pain in the ass. Like say you got a standard 180G but you fucked up multiple things like you don't like how you plumbed it and you have a massive case of marine ich in there. What're you going to do? Tear it down and rebuild? In a 40G, that's not a big deal. In a 180G, you're just as likely to quit the hobby altogether. With a 40G, you could even just have an entirely new system built with running the old one. Exactly zero reefers ever are truly happy with their first system. Not a whole lot are even successful with the first system (as in, not having a coral graveyard).

That said, depending on your wallet, you could buy your way out of a lot of noob regrets, like buying a waterbox system that's already predrilled, preplumbed, comes with a great sump, etc. (Do NOT go with Redsea systems.)

There are a lot of stuff that goes beyond what's on and in the stand though. Like at that volume, you have to consider how you're going to produce and store RO/DI water, mix salt, work area for all kinds of stuff, hospital/quarantine/observation tank(s), etc.

Conversely, while it's definitely possible to have successful small systems (my first small system is still running to this day), I'm not a big fan of how limiting it is in terms of stocking, available equipment, etc. It's not just that you can't fit all your favorite fish in there, but there are logistical concerns, like your ability to have a protein skimmer is extremely limited.
>>
File: 1623416692455.png (185 KB, 600x600)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>4309744
not the anon you are replaying to, I have a shitty freshwater 20g tank but
>marine ich
sound like pic related
>>
>>4309727
thanks, I got my ammonia levels around 3-4 now going to wait a few days to see if it drops and keep it around 2 for a week.
>>
>>4309747
It's nightmare fuel. There's a lot of debate on the subject but the Tomites can last without fish for up to SEVENTY TWO DAYS. And of course chemical treatments will destroy coral, so most reefers opt for having literally zero fish in the tank for three months instead.
>>
File: 20220924_113314.jpg (625 KB, 2576x1160)
625 KB
625 KB JPG
I got worried when I didn't see the shrimplets from the glass a little later since I read they don't move about much at all time and time again. But then I saw a couple others casually swimming against the current to go eat Indian almond leaf. I think they go actively hunt in the morning like I see bigger shrimp do for cyclops copepods or w/e.
Seems like secondhand information is a crapshoot in this hobby.
>>
>>4309755
It is, but those are also way past the "don't move and simply hide" stage by the time they're that size. Those may be a couple weeks old, newly hatched ones are tiiiiiny.
>>
>>4309772
Okay, I apologize to the denizens of the web then. I guess I just totally missed the little ones.
>>
>>4309744
Thanks for helping me bounce ideas off.

What's less bueno about Red Sea stuff? The tidiest (and subsequently more expensive) coral/marine store near me has tried pushing me onto Red twice now.
I had almost bought a 180.5 waterbox but the seller politely dicked me over it and sold to someone else.

Marine experience zero, but I've probably watched every single BRStv video they've made, so now I can now obviously consider myself a professional. /s
Freshwater, plenty.

Plumbing logistics aren't of huge concern to me, my room is converted from about 1/3 of a 10m x 5m garage and RODI/mixing/work area could be off a wall directly connected to said room, I could even pipe it through the wall if desired. Tank to sump plumbing would be entirely custom, that is to say I'm likely to build my own stand to size for sump/RODI/topoff and possibly quarantine under tank. There is a drain and mains water about 3m from the door.

My goals are pretty simple;
Big enough for a green mandarin to feed itself, filefish, tang, diamond watchman, pair of clowns, a wrasse.
Not interested in trying to stuff it full, I prefer my tanks to be on the south side of 50% stocked.
>>
>>4309777
Also, I've asked a few shops about using sand (sand sand), as I'd love to use black sand for the contrast. 1 shop said 'Nooooo, too much silica' which kinda makes sense but then beaches have a fuckload of silica to no ill effect (open system tho I guess), another said that 'reef sand is very useful for helping buffer PH' but I could just chuck a bunch of that shit in the sump or something, no?
I want barebottom and reef substrate but the cons of neither and the benefits of both lmao.
>>
>>4309234
Meant “couple” as a small handful not quite a school. Love cories and have em in almost every tank.
Want to focus on 3 maybe 4 species for this tank. So say 4 rams, 15 tetras and maybe 8 cories. Was looking at sterbais specifically because of their tolerance for the warmer water rams would need to thrive.
I’ve always thought loaches were neat though, so maybe I’ll think about slotting them in in place of the corydoras, or even in addition.
>>
>nerite started laying eggs
Well shit. Is there any way to get rid of them besides scraping them off?
>>
File: tankmold.jpg (61 KB, 781x428)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
I have some dark blue colored mold looking stuff on my java fern. And I tried to wait it out but it's slowly getting worse. Also have a hair algae problem. No fish, water always tests 0 ammonia and nitrite with moderate nitrate. Pic is my drawing of the tank I made before but I updated it to include the blue fuzz.
What should I do? I've already tried waiting. I'm considering peroxide and/or cutting off whatever I can. I'm thinking it's probably some kind of cyano crap.
>>
Is there anything hardier than the bladder snail?
>10C don't care
>High nitrates don't care
>No dissolved oxygen don't care
Don't seem to appreciate high levels of urea dosing, though.
>>
>>4309866
Have you tried cutting down lighting, either intensity or periods?
>>
Inustrial grade zip tied my old medium (so called heavy, don't believe their lies) duty storage shelf to the studs under the steps to the basement, and zip tied the parts of the frame together. I can climb on it like a ladder and rock back and forth and it doesn't move. Definitely good enough for 20 longs and 10s even if I don't end up replacing the HDF (super soft foam pad on top, all wrapped in vinyl sheeting). Bottom is chocked up for a 29 tall and something else convenient for the space.
>>
File: 0102.jpg (87 KB, 720x478)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>4309911
>911
Ruh roh.
>>
>>4309869
Yes. It only effected the hair algae. The blue stuff just slowly grows bigger no matter what I do.
>>
>>4309943
it's growing in a low flow, high nutrient concentration area
treat with maracyn and move things around.
>>
File: 20220925_053238.jpg (502 KB, 1800x2401)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
Don't stance up at me, ya fuckin' modern appetizer.
>>
>>4309868
Pond snails, in my specific case. Never had nearly as many, but they survived in an untouched, unfiltered quarter full 55 gallon with a sword, a fern and some stray rotundafolia or something for 10 years whereas the bladder snails did not.
>>
I never realized how many different types of Anubias and Swords there are. Just tossed a Kleiner Bar Sword into an empty corner, and the leaves come up bright red with pronounced veins, then slowly turn green. It's very cool.
>>
>>4309868
I put some outside in a bucket with hornwort and they survived freezing night temperatures last week.
>>
>>4309868
Scuds, Hydra, and similar microrganisms are about the only thing more survivable. I did a water change and didn't empty the bucket before a 10 day trip, and there were more snails in it when I returned than when I left.
>>
>>4309265
anyone have any other meds they'd like to offer as useful?
thoughts on levamisole? should have on hand at all times as well? or is there a crossover with medications
>>
Does anyone have experience food-dosing kanaplex to an individual fish? Instructions are basically one scoop mixed with a tablespoon of food, but my fish can't eat a tablespoon of food, he would just die. So instead he would eat a couple of pellets and gets 1/60th the "dose" (less because there's a 0% chance the medication is evenly distributed into the pellets- could potentially be getting none). It seems wrong. Should I try individually mixing some amount into a single pellet to hand feed?
>>
>>4310108
Short of isolating you're going to have to medicate everyone. And in my experience a lot of schooling fish are too stressed to eat when isolated and the isolation stress causes more damage than the benefit of meds provides.
>>
Anyone know if I can pull off having a lamprologus ocellatus colony in a 10g tank?
>>
>>4310013
Forgot the pic
>>
I don't really like my sponge filter, looking for something better for a 29 gallon that will give me some options for flow (not too much, but enough to move some of the Co2 around)
>>
>>4310159
Sicce Shark filters are great
>>
>>4310165
I'll look into them.

>>4310159
Since I hear it's the best, I'm especially curious about filters that would support in-line co2 diffuser.
>>
>>4309777
>>4309780
RedSea has more complaints on failures (leaks) in the community than other brands by a shit ton. A lot of their stuff is designed specifically to lock you into their ecosystem. For instance their filter socks and holders are sized slightly too small so that even though it's claimed to be 4", no other brand's 4" sock will fit. Other system makers at least attempt to make their equipment in a way that you can add whatever you want from whatever brand.

No matter what sand you get, you will have to deal with silicates. Since you've watched the recent BRStv stuff, you'll have seen that adding copepods early on will massively help through the diatom bloom created by the silicates.

Yes, putting sand in the sump is an option for buffering and system stability. In fact there are products just for this. Look up reef mud. However if you have NO substrate in the display, I would want to have a LOT of sump surface area for reef mud and/or sand. I do mean exposed surface area as you would want aerobic bacteria in addition to the anaerobic a lot of people go for in deep sand beds so you can't just rely on going super deep. I've personally never tried going bare bottom in the display but that's what I would try.

Without substrate, I would miss my shrimp + goby pair digging tunnels in my display.

Sand-sand is kind of hard to deal with not because of the silicates, but because it's so light that the slightest disturbance causes it to cloud up the tank. This is really annoying in a reef tank since it tends to have high flow. Black sand might have one big advantage; everyone dreams of a reef tank with pristine white sand, but the reality is you're just never going to have pristine white sand. However black can stay black, and with a little bit of discoloration on it, it's probably not a big deal. There's plenty of black sand products that should be fine for a reef tank (CaribSea Hawaiian Arag Alive, although that's really more gravel)
>>
>one of the corys is dead
F
>>
File: tank.jpg (1.41 MB, 3307x2048)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
So much fucking hair algae, it's such a chore to clean it daily only for it to be back next day. I'm sure the amanos are putting in work, and I've even seen the khulis eating through the substrate (not really why I got the lovely noodles) but fuck man. Maybe I need more shrimp or some oto cats.

I know I need more Co2, but I'm waiting on payday and I can get kitted out with a whole set up and I'm considering switching to in-line diffusing and a more mechanical/layered filter. (Also still looking for tips on which filter for that.)

Dosing with a cap full of Excel daily, 5ml of Thrive C 3x a week (which should add up to the weekly one-dose for my tank size), manually removing as much as possible. Light reduced to 75% at 8hrs (through glass top). Weekly 25% water changes.

Other than all that, what more can I do? The plants don't all seem like they're dying or anything, but the hair algae accumulating on them worries me.

Nothing out of the ordinary on the water parameters as far as I understand: 77F, nitrites 0 ppm, ammonia 0 ppm, pH 7.6, nitrates between 5 and 10 ppm.

Am I worried about nothing and it'll solve itself with the more steady Co2? Hopefully the rotala blood red on the tree will actually turn red with enough Co2, too.

Also, not sure if there are any amanos in here visible yet, they're still pretty small and there's only 5, but there's a bonus noodle in the top right. Algae aside, how did I do for a first time?
>>
>suddenly a shiny white eye
Excuse me?

Could this have anything to do with the guy being quite a bit lighter colored than all the rest and slightly reflective? He always looks like the flash is on when it's not.

I mean, I know, you hear hoofbeats don't think zebras.

He probably just got popped at food time or latent HITHD, but idk. He's still one of the boldest, most active, and most voracious. Just odd.
>>
>>4310258
watch the fuck out he's about to initiate a chain attack.
>>
>>4310255
How old in the tank? Honestly it doesn't look like there's a ton left just a few colonies. I'd say just get some algae eaters - five or six amano, give them a week or two, and it'll be close to spotless.

FYI, excel is a lot more effective dosed in a syringe or turkey baster directly on the algae, rather than in the water.

>>4310245
F. You the one with the sick habrosus? Either way, always sad, I love those little bastids
>>
>>4310271
It’s just under a month old now. Fully cycled, surprising because most people said it would take a lot longer than that.

Interesting. It just looks so bad that I thought it is a problem, it’s coating every plant I have.

I will try to dose it more directly now, thanks. I do have 5 amano shrimp, but I’m thinking of adding at least a few more if not Cherry shrimp.
>>
>soon to put my 3rd dwarf shrimp species into my tank. This mishmash brought to you by the best aquarium inhabitants.
>>
>>4310279
Oh yeah, algae blooms are common as part of initial setup. I had fucking footlong black hair algae on all the slow growing plants for about three weeks, then woke up one morning and it was gone. Amano will eat the remnants, but it's possible or even likely that the algae use up the trace elements it is perfectly suited to eat and that only came in with the initial setup in any meaningful amounts, then die off.

>>4310287
Only 3? Those are rookie numbers, you don't even need to branch out of the common ones for that.
>>
File: 1655516097047.png (627 KB, 871x770)
627 KB
627 KB PNG
>>4310291
>footlong black hair algae
>>
>>4310287
>neos
>babaulti
>king tiger
>malawa
>ghost
>rudolf
>amano
>short nose algae
>purple zebra
>Nigerian Hover

Sounds like you're a third of the way there, assuming hard water and easy, peaceful species.
>>
>>4310291
Good to know, I’ve just been watching it coat all my plants and getting afraid it’s going to kill them because I did a slow dry start too so it’s been two months of work even if it’s only been flooded for a month.

I have been manually getting it off, but I guess in the end the plants still are looking pretty good.

I really don’t think I like the sponge filter. Takes up space, gives barely any flow and no mechanical filtering so I might end up changing that. But I assume it’s a pain to introduce a new filter.
>>
File: black-hair-algae.jpg (58 KB, 800x596)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>4310293
It was nasty, and I overcompensated in algae eaters (species I like anyways, so it's all good). Looked about like pic related but longer and waving in the high flow
>>
>>4310291
>>4310296
Going for non breeding species variety. Not a fan of adding ghosts because of how often predatory prawn species are sold as ghost shrimp. Also sold/treated as feeders so diseases and poor quality abound like crazy.
>>
The other day I went to petsmart and they had algae in their tanks that was neon-green. Like radioactive fluorescent neon-green. Made me wonder if it was genetically modified. It was really weird looking.
>>
how do you know if your drift wood is ready for my tank. I've been soaking it for a few days now and it turns my bucket of water almost a green tea green.
>>
>>4310298
Not a pain really, just run the other filter at the same time for a week or two, then remove the one you don't like. A nice internal canister will have easy access modular sections for mechanical as desired and provide a good amount of biofiltration, but won't look too much better. If you don't mind the internal space used, they're a good choice, but you could always do an oversized canister, which will sit outside of the tank and provide a lot more space.

Another choice is air-driven moving bed filter. Still takes up space inside but looks kinda neat and provides both 2x the biofiltration of the next best choice for the media area, and several airstones' worth of aeration. Limited mechanical filtration tho, and not at all customizable.
>>
>>4310318
And are all of these capable of being hooked up to an in-line diffuser?

I thought about getting one of the outside ones so I can get some of those clean pipes, but I haven't done much research on them yet. I wanted to increase the mechanical filtering, but the affordability of the inside canisters is tempting.
>>
>>4310327
Not sure but you don't want your aeration combined with co2 because it'll just immediately push the co2 out of the water.
>>
>>4310346
Ah, so if I went for a in-line diffuser, it'd be more for an outside canister, and then I'd want a separate air stone to aerate away from that outflow?
>>
>>4310300
Gotta get ghosts from the right place, but that's fair.

All the ones listed can cohabitate without crossbreeding. There are also "Australian amano" shrimp that can breed in freshwater, but I'm not sure you can find them outside of Australia, for whatever reason.
>>
>>4310348
Correct, you'd want the canister outlet as far from the surface as you can get it, on the opposite side of any air stones.
>>
File: 20220925_174503.jpg (2.06 MB, 4000x1800)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>4310013
>>4310154
Thanks for the ID man. Right down to the raggedy leaves lol. Jk.
My local Petco is such a mess they didn't even have their plants labeled, but it was $10 for 3 so wtf.
>>
File: 20220925_180621.jpg (753 KB, 2576x1160)
753 KB
753 KB JPG
>>4310306
I've seen glowing shit floating in large brackish to freshwater rivers before. I assumed it was unicellular algae or some other plankton.
>>
My hoplarchus psittacus are only about 2 inches long, but two are showing some pairing behaviors. There isnt that much information availble about this cichlid, the few sites I found claimed they would reach maturity at around 2-3 years of age. I've only had mine for a month, and they have only grown about a centimetre, is it possible they are old enough to spawn?
>>
I'm not sure these retarded noodles are eating enough and I'm always afraid to leave shit in there for hours upon hours to avoid algae spikes. They're swimming around a ton all day long, but wont even look at food during the day. I also never catch them eating anything, but can only assume its them when I see little nibbles taken out.
>>
>>4310393
get some shrimp and trumpet snails then you dont need to worry about leaving food in, they will eat it. Just visualize approximately the size of the fish's eyeball then multiply that by all fish in the tank, that is about how much you should feed per day. It will seem like a tiny amount and it is. I overfeed for fry but if you're not breeding, you do not need to feed very much. Especially if your temps are towards the lower end of their range, at higher temps their metabolism increases.
>>
>>4310429
Gotcha, I have been putting in a little too much, but just removing it after 3 or so hours. I do have shrimp, but I'd rather remove it so they eat the algae as mean as that sounds.

Is it true that feeding twice a day is just pushing by the people who make food and once a day is ok?
>>
>tfw corey releases new video on german shrimp boomer
honestly i want to do something similar someday, I have an empty room I want to turn into a mix of a home gym and shrimp room. He seems to have the same attitude I have towards keeping shrimp and has a lot of success with it, even with more sensitive crystal morph bee shrimp.

I don't think I'd have the willpower to maintain a fish room of that size longterm but shrimp are just way easier.
>>
>>4310446
dude you can feed every third day and it's fine. People generally overfeed fish, their metabolic needs are generally very low. In fact I am of the mind that you maximize lifespan by fasting your tank periodically (and I think its also true for humans and other animals, periodic fasting/energy restriction mirrors nature, eating lots of food all of the time every day is unnatural), and also by letting temperature fluctuate up and down within the species tolerance range.
>>
>>4310452
Well, I have been skipping days just because there's so much detritus since they're still fresh and figuring that the shrimp could live off algae alone and there's gotta be enough nutrition just in the substrate for the loaches. The non-fishkeeping brain of mine has me going back to feeding them every other day.

Definitely going to cut back on the amount, and I would think you're very right about the fasting unless some other fish expert chimes in with evidence to the contrary, but yeah. Thanks for the tips, anon.
>>
>>4310456
It does depend on species and doesn't apply to fry which do need frequent feeding. Generally if you're keeping the tank hot you need to feed more frequently. Keeping a tank cold longterm might cause problems but it can also help some problems.

Like the example Corey always uses is angelfish which the "experts" say you need to keep at 78-82 constantly. When you do that they are constantly in breeding mode and beating the shit out of each other and pouring all of their nutrients into eggs and breeding. Whereas if you let them go into the low 70s during winter, they will chill out and have some time to recover from the rapefest. Same with livebearers i find, my platys fuck like crazy in the summer when their tank is around 76 most of the time, but chill out in winter when the tank falls to around 66-70ish.

But if you constantly keep them too cold they will start to have issues too, and there are some species especially captive bred discus/rams and most line bred guppies that just need hot temps because breeders have inadvertently artificially selected for that over generations.
>>
**ting ting ting** Ahem. Shrimpchads assemble. We must remind the thread that this is a shrimp thread first and foremost. Also I motion to have every minority trying to SMASH AND SLAM cichlids be barred from posting.
>>
>>4310271
>F. You the one with the sick habrosus? Either way, always sad, I love those little bastids
no, I'm the one with homicidal fat bastard cunt cory, but the one that died was a good chap, developed swim bladder disease, gonna miss the little bastard, he kept the bitch in check
>>
>>4310463
Ah, I'm mostly feeding my khulis, and my tank sits around 76-7, which I think is mid to low end for them. I'm sure the amanos are getting some extra nibbles, but there's so much hair algae they're having a feast.
>>
>>4310167
Can't you just get an in-line where you splice into the sump/canister return line? The only gripes I've heard with these is that some either require a higher pressure differential to function or their tank is littered with micro bubbles that some people may not like.

>>4310188
>Vendor lock-in
That would explain why the bloke is trying to make me buy a Red Sea system. Fuck that Apple bullshit.

>Diatom bloom and copepods
Yes, their biome chapter was very interesting to binge on. Mostly because I want a fuckload of copepods for a dragonet, but also because I only have a few options for rocks and substrates here. Annoying that it seems every other episode they reneg on their tips and tricks for things, but at least they go about it in an educated way.

The sand-sand ironsand I have access to is about 1/3 titanomagnetite (5g/ml, 2-5x heavier than quartz sand), 1/3 quartz and the rest being rock fragments/augite. It's extremely heavy and packs very densely but my kuhlis and malaysian trumpets have no issues snoofing about in it. Bacteria may colonize on it but cannot displace it - something that really fucked me off the first time I used medium silica sand. Great for a fluidized bed or trapping errant food/wastes but rubbish for aesthetics.

I'll look into the more active aerobic/anaerobic beds and pH-buffering options sump-wise. Could kill two birds with one stone on copepods no?
>>
File: 20220925_181554.jpg (1.47 MB, 4000x1800)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>4310470
He's not ballon tier, but I like my murderous hyper alpha GiBBeR.

>>4310429
Thank you for this post. Clarified something I've been confused about since my first post in /aqg/ was (you)d over a month ago.
>>
Redpill me on Thai Micro Crabs. are they shrimp-tier to take care of, or is there more to their care than just "this is a bottom feeder"? from what I've been reading, nobody's been able to breed them successfully despite them living their entire lives in freshwater, otherwise they're just peaceful detrivores.
>>
File: IMG_20220925_182654.jpg (1.38 MB, 3243x2077)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
looks like my cycling is halfway done
>>
>>4310526
Apparently they hide 90% of the time and are so small you won't see them if you plan on scaping the tank nice.
>>
File: 1586254834848.jpg (3 KB, 250x250)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>4310613
>Nitrite scale blue to purple
>Reading: 100% poopy water
>>
File: Nuclear launch detected.jpg (1.59 MB, 4000x1800)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
How the fuck did I miss this yesterday?
Fenbendadick arrives tomorrow so I spent an inordinate amount of time manually blasting hydra.
Hope I didn't lose too many shrimplets. I only seem to notice them at 3mm+, and I counted 5 in the money wort alone, so I imagine there's gotta be like 25 absolute bare mininum.
>>
File: 20220925_192631.jpg (930 KB, 1629x3132)
930 KB
930 KB JPG
>>4310639
Missed a few small ones but not too worried. Saw a shrimplet scavenging dead hydra with the adults popcorn away from something and was fine.
>>
>>4310639
Break hydra in half
2 hydra
hydra always wins.

In the past, I have carefully scraped them off the substrate they're on while doing a water change, right next to a siphon. It either worked or the hydra starved and died out eventually. Best of luck, anon.
>>
>>4310642
Not too worried. I was hitting them with chemical warfare, so they kinda just die and melt a bit. Even the survivors usually lose most of their arms.
Tomorrow comes the dewormer rape train. I'd feel bad for the snails but they keep trying to eat anyone having a slow molt.
>>
>>4310639
The fact that they were concentrated growing protected tightly by a leaf makes me wonder if adult shrimp and snails etc eat them when small and isolated enough.
>>
>>4308478
Take a pothos and clean the roots off and fix it in your tank so the leaves are still out of water
>>
>>4310526
I had 16 of them in a 8 gallon tank, with shrimp, saw a few a day, mostly just sitting. They're easy to take care of, but only live about a year and you're getting adult wild caught more than likely.

Freshwater Pompom crabs are the better choice, get 2 or 3 of them instead of a swarm of the micro crabs and you'll be much happier. They actually move around and shit.
>>
>Odessa barbs finally hitting adult coloration
They're so pretty, bros. Worth the wait.
>>
I'm confused, there seems to be a distinct lack of schizoid anti-natalists and degenerate zoophiles in this thread, is this even /an/ ?
>>
>>4310779
im just more excited about the aquarium than anything else
cant get the cycle going, didnt realise there was little to no ammonia in the tank
>>
Anyone had luck culturing live foods in a community aquarium? I think I've successfully introduced copepods, though they stay inside the hardscape and substrate mostly, but I'd like to add more and get the whole ecosystem thing rolling.
>>
>>4310659
They absolutely do. Saw the adults out munching very specifically on them half an hour ago, like fucking revenge, with a few really small shrimplets that should be digested by all means floating around them like UAVs.

I know I'm anthropomorphizing, but they aren't totally dumb. They knew I'd killed most of the hydra within a couple hours of me doing it and starting riding backs and shit immediately.
>>
File: 20220925_073452.jpg (2.9 MB, 4032x3024)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
Started a 30 gallon after a while away, figured I'd do all natural instead of artificial bs, I'm hoping it goes well. I got 9 bloodfin tetras breaking I in, I plan on running a pair of apistogramma, but I'm taking it slow hoping to avoid overload. I am curious about how long for the tetras to be a bit less shy? Also wondering if I'll need more lighting in the long term as I plan on keeping the tannins, but still want good plant growth.
>>
>>4310794
I see cyclops a little bit and some springtails, but most stuff gets hunted pretty relentlessly. Even the pond snails are starting to lose the battle.
I probably should have considered parasites, but mosquito larvae and pupae was a a hilarious feeding frenzy. Worth.
>>
>>4310779
/aq/ threads are the most high quality threads on the entire board and the sole reason why I still come here.
>>
>>4310779
>schizoid anti-natalists
most fish fall underneath what a lot of anti-natalist types consider when thinking about "animals".
>degenerate zoophiles
I'd imagine its difficult to have sexual thoughts over a school of cory cats.
>>
>>4310920
I've known people to jack off into fish tanks
>>
>>4310920
I get slightly aroused when I see my animals hitting it off and breeding. Not like I wanna fuck em, but like fuck yeah, love is in the air.
>>
File: Enemy HQ Captured.jpg (866 KB, 3519x1800)
866 KB
866 KB JPG
Might just hover my finger over the button instead of dropping the nuke. Tactical strikes and cutting off the food supply chain with a dish and good janny work might suffice.
>>
>>4310827
Feed and chill in front of your tank. Let them get used to you and try not to spook them. Takes maybe a week or 2
>>
>>4310975
Sick, that's what I've been doing, I'll have to be patient. I'd like to add a few more to the pack, but don't want it too packed in there when I get the apistos.
>>
Ok, I’m done with this shitty diy set up. Is there a good co2 set up I can buy all online?
>>
>>4310999
Co2arts, UNS buceplant, Green leaf aquariums has their own, and Aquaforestaquariums if you’re into all the ADA stuff. Pretty pricey but had good experiences with them. Idk if co2arts ship from germany though
>>
>>4311007
My problem is I’m home bound and so I can’t really get out to get the tank portion.
>>
>>4310750
poast pics
>>
>>4311010
How big of a co2 tank do you need? Aquaforest has the small cartridge systems. A 5lb and 10lb tank unfilled. I think Fluval has their own small co2 kits but i never used them
>>
File: 20220926_144840.jpg (1.88 MB, 4000x1800)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
Nice, the rare Chodesh spotting. He's stubby and shy as fuck with dickshroom spots.
>>
>>4311044
Something that will last for a heavily planted 29g. I've been looking at the generators on Amazon with the citric acid and baking soda, but I hear very mixed results so I'm unsure if it's worth the convenience that it offers.
>>
>>4310750
How peaceful are these guys, anyways? Was considering them for a species of schooling fish for a 75g community tank I'm setting up, but I'm not sure how fin nippy/boisterous they are. I was planning on a species of colorful live-bearer or two as well as the usual bottom feeders (shrimp, corys, colored ramshorns, maybe a farowella pair). Just worried about the guppies getting pushed around/fin nipped to death.
>>
File: IMG_20220926_141216.jpg (3.76 MB, 4000x2250)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
>>4311059
Just buy a 10-20lb tank of ebay. They can be had reconditioned w/ valve installed for pretty cheap. Mine was only 70$. Pic related. Just need to find somewhere to fill it now.
>>
File: 20220926_142016.jpg (553 KB, 2316x1160)
553 KB
553 KB JPG
>>4310368
Duh, no wonder I got hydra. Guess I'll use bleach next time I wash.
At least they don't seem to like or are even unable to cross the substrate like the small snails. Never see nubby barbels, though.
>>
>>4310939
The best and easiest live food. You aren't a master fish keeper until your feeding fry cum.
>>
>>4311114
The fry do whatnow?
>>
>>4310447
>mix of a home gym and shrimp room
I have a bench in here but I think I'm gonna move it once I get enough tanks. Too clumsy for that shit.
>>
File: 20220926_210125.jpg (1.44 MB, 4000x1800)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
Anyone know what these small vertical things are next to the horizontal leaf on the left of the photo? Sorry if it's hard to see, they're transparent and quite small.
>>
>>4310135
Anyone got a clue?
>>
>>4311160
Could it be hydra?
>>
>>4311171
I have no clue, they're just on this little patch of substrate.
>>
>>4311068
They're boisterous as fuck but I haven't ever caught them actually nipping anyone, just chasing each other around or going apeshit over food. I wouldn't keep them with shrimp, I suspect they'd quickly hunt and eat them, but mine basically don't interact with the other schools other than incidentally at feeding time.

>>4311025
Shit at getting pics but here, best I could get of one of the dominant males (#3 in pecking order if I had to guess). Their tails are the deepest red I've seen in freshwater, and their whole bodies are sparkly metallic.
>>
>>4311025
Got one of the big man himself, he was busy pushing around the unterfisch so hard to capture on film. No filter or color fuckery here.
>>
>>4311080
Me getting out of the house is kind of the problem, I work from home, I don't have transportation. That's why I was considering the generators, because I can have new reagents at the door in a day. And it's a quarter of the price.

I still want the full set up, I could just have that one now.
>>
>>4311171
Looking into it more I don't think it's Hydra. There's no tentacles and they don't seem to be sprouting new offshoots. I could be wrong but hopefully if I am then my fish will eat it before it becomes a problem.
>>
Alien betta anon here again. His tail fin still looks pretty rough and doesn’t seem to be improving much. Just been doing daily water changes and feeding that New Life Spectrum since I don’t want to overmedicate.
I’m starting to think I’ll have to deal with this as long as this guy’s around after what I heard about alien bettas having fucked genetics.
>>
>>4311215
Another shot of him. His anal fin did completely regenerate, for what it’s worth.
>>
>>4311216
I also want to add that I tried adding Seachem Stressguard to help with the fin regrowth, but every time it seemed to cause a bacterial bloom, so I cut that a while ago.
>>
>>4311160
Pull the plant out and check if they're roots.
That's what they look like to me.
>>
>>4311243
Good call, I'll do that in the morning.
>>
>>4311068
they're fine with other fish but they will kill the shit out of any shrimp they find.
>>
Betta or shrimp?
I don't want to stock both since I've heard betta will almost always fuck up shrimp.
>>
>>4311297
depends, what do you want?
>a pet that will acknowledge and interact with you
betta
>an aquatic ant colony
shrimp

I have and like both. Some bettas in a big enough tank with some cover for the shrimp won't kill all of the shrimp. Especially if you get a half moon or other poor swimming variant.
>>
File: 20220926_202209 (2).webm (1.33 MB, 320x180)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB WEBM
>>4308473
>>
>>4311297
>>4311301
Add shrimp and live plants/hardscape first. Let both grow/establish colony first once you have a solid shrimp population with good cover grown in, add the betta. He won’t be able to put a dent in an established colony’s population solo.
>>
>>4311341
Depends on the betta and the tank. I've had individual bettas slaughter an entire established colony in 10 gallon tanks. I think a 20 with a lot of cover would make it very hard but still possible if you get a motivated fish.
>>
>>4311367
>>4311341
Some bettas, like some people and all cichlids, are niggers.
>>
My aquarium plants are dying in one of my fish tank. I put some flourish fertilizer in all my fish tanks but for some reason in one the plants are dying. What can i do ?
>>
>>4311367
Agreed.
One day my last betta decided that from one day on, he was going to only eat live food. Completely ignored pellets, never ate flakes either, but also turned his nose down at frozen foods. After a feeding, he'd mercilessly stalk the entire tank from surface to substrate looking for his next fix.
>>
>>4311380
Dying how?
Plants aren't too fond of swinging parameters.
Try giving it a fat water change and dose very conservatively.
>>
File: hifin-platy.jpg (89 KB, 1024x683)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>4311282
>but they will kill the shit out of any shrimp they find.

well fuck. the idea was to get a little mini ecosystem going. ideally in a heavily planted 75 gallon the shrimp/livebearer fry would have enough places to hide until some of them got big enough to not be a real prey item anymore. the idea was to start with the bottom feeders/shrimp, then the livebearers, then maybe a school of easy going tetras or something that won't be too pushy. might just say fuck it and go with some variety of neon/small rasbora. I'm honestly still in the planning stages for it. just trying to wrassle up driftwood that isn't tiny and I still haven't decided whether or not to go with sand or a fine gravel for substrate since it'll be capping soil. sand is better for things that like to dig (catfish, MTS) but I don't want plants getting uprooted easily.
>>
>>4311477
That's fine and all but odessa barbs aren't the fish for that just because they are shrimp aggressive, this is also true of all other common barbs except for cherry barbs which are pretty shrimp safe. "shrimp safe" is always relative though.

Driftwood that isn't tiny is annoying, i recommend going to find your own, either steal driftwood from the beach or find wood in the forest.

Do gravel imo not sand. Sand never looks as good longterm and is harder to plant in.
>>
>>4311493
>this is also true of all other common barbs except for cherry barbs which are pretty shrimp safe. "shrimp safe" is always relative though.

Yeah, I've learned that most barbs are a bit too feisty for what I want. And by "shrimp safe" I'm really just looking for things that won't actively go for adults (or are at least clumsy enough swimmers that the adults can get away). Might try a group of smaller green/kubotai rasboras or maybe bloodfin tetras.
>>
>>4311114
I'd be disgusted at myself, but I'm genuinely curious if this would work with good results.
>>
>>4311544
>nigga doesn't know about sea people
>>
File: Do ya feel lucky punk.png (398 KB, 631x1239)
398 KB
398 KB PNG
Here I go buying chinkshit again!

>>4311569
Great fucking episode.
>>
>>4311334
Looking good man. Still disappointed because my brain misinterpreted the pepper plant as a parrot in the thumbnail.
>>
>>4311186
>>4311195
will they be gud in a 40g breeder?
>>
>>4311477
livebearers that are platy and smaller are good with shrimp from my experience with cover and java moss (hard for anything to reach shrimplets hiding in moss). then you can have a lone angelfish for population control
>>
File: 20220927_064016.jpg (1.97 MB, 4000x1800)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
I guess I'd better trim the Xmas moss (or whatever it is) on the right before it chokes out whatever the other two "java" mosses are.

>>4311216
He looks like he knows you're telling people about his anal fin online.
>>
>>4311195
I'm pretty in love with your tank. Cool water?
Inspired me to start heavy trimming yesterday to get diatoms/silicates out and remove old leaves/encourage new growth. It seems like the old leaves are where all the diatoms grow anyways. Gotta finish today be cause working at the bottom of a 55 on a stand meant for two of em as a manlet is tough.
Pic is from before I started. I do often use the auto enhance function on my shitty phone camera because white balance is fucked either way and everything is washed out without it half the time.
>>
>>4311642
Certainly
>>
>>4311698
Aww thanks anon, I'm blushing. It's unheated, I stocked it based on its winter temp of high 60s.

Funny that it inspired you to trim though, because I'd describe it as hella overgrown. The snails digging up runners and flag fish/pygmy swordtails eating dying leaves is the main source of maintenance in the tank.
>>
File: 20220927_074829.jpg (1.2 MB, 4000x1800)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>plenty of air flow
>option for 10 seconds on 10 off
>flips over to battery if it loses power
>been running for like 6 hours on continuous without indicator going down
>came two really nice 6 ft hoses, valves, and airstones in a ented drawstring bag

Fucking stolen at $13. Glad I bought three.

>>4311711
Perfect. The less heaters the better. Those rosy red minnows in the back? The 5 I got ended up being total dicks fucking up my other fish, so they ended up being rode hard for cycling tanks and given to a guy with a turtle.

It's because some of the leaves were ancient and clean up couldn't keep up with all the debris. And the diatoms, want them out.
I want there to be a little mulm for the loaches, by it gets annoying when they decide even they have too much and push it to the front of the tank every morning lol.
It'll be a little bare for my and their tastes for a while, but I think it will pay off long term.
>>
>>4311726
>came with* two really nice 6 ft hoses, valves, and airstones in a vented* drawstring bag
>>
>>4311726
Oh, they are a bit loud, though. One more than the other two by a few decibels. But they'll be either temporary or in the back with non display tanks.
>>
>>4311297
I had a betta with some amano shrimps, no problem whatsoever
>>
>>4311726
They're white cloud minnows, smaller and nicer than rosy reds and just as hardy. I've got gold and normal (silver) ones, they might nip the culled male guppies now and again, mostly as a reaction to guppy attempted rape, but otherwise they don't mess with anyone.

They're also hard to get a picture of, because they're lazy when calm but go full danio mode when they get spooked or think I'm going to feed them.
>>
>>4311736
Love how clean and healthy the plants look (hence trimming my old turd leaves), especially the crinum. I'm hoping the baby that's growing in the 40G very well will end up taking off, because, of the other two, one is of questionable future and the other looks meh.
So are you not the guy with the globe next to the tank or this is a different tank? Looks too shallow. Both are absolutely lovely either way.
>>
how much food should i be shadow feeding in order to kickstart the ammonia?
im using sinking pellets and theyre developing a weird gelatin coating when theyre in the water for a few hours

is it going to take much longer to produce ammonia because im getting antsy people are going to buy my fish
>>
>>4311749
Nope, I'm the other active anon with Odessas. This one is a 30g "short", 36x12x16 LxWxH. Honestly I picked it because it was what was available used nearby, but I really like the footprint now that it's set up. The only thing I did with the crinum was give it quality aquasoil and plant it in the middle of the tank where there was (pre-floaters) the most light, I think it just loves my tap water.

>>4311751
The weird cover is good, that's biofilm or similar microorgs. You probably don't need to keep shadow feeding if you still have a couple tablets in there slowly dissolving, but the rule I was told when I started was to add roughly as much food each as the tank would need when fully stocked, then just do a big water change at the end to clear out excess nitrates.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.