[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 19th Birthday 4chan!

File: pregalis.jpg (434 KB, 1080x1440)
434 KB
434 KB JPG
Haven't seen one of these in a while so I'm making one

Discuss inverts, keeping inverts, post pictures, etc.
I don't have the copypasta so this is what we've got
>>
File: ants.jpg (46 KB, 1112x252)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Out of every invert, which keepers are the most psychopathic? I'd say antkeepers.
>>
File: 20220810_200153.jpg (2.89 MB, 3024x3024)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
>>4303702
Found this Steindachneri in my house, second one actually but I decided to keep this one.
>>
>>
File: 20220903_001754.jpg (2.25 MB, 3610x5576)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>4303737
>>
>>4303738
I love the little fuckers so much. If only they lived longer they would be the perfect pet.
>>
File: 16572620672431.jpg (404 KB, 2312x1302)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>4303702
here's my tarantula bros
>>
File: 1662374158967.jpg (363 KB, 2312x1302)
363 KB
363 KB JPG
>>4303984
and post molt 2 weeks ago
>>
>>4303857
had one of these fly into the back of my neck when I was 7
>>
>>4303702
I thought spiders had 8 legs, not 12
>>
>>4303857
I’m gonna get some when I can, specifically Hierodula majuscula. Also really want those gigantic blue Papuan Hierodula, but they’re kinda hard to find
>>
>>4303997
they have 8 legs and the ones on the front of them are their pedipalps which they use to feel around while walking since they have very poor eyesight. the two on the back are their spinnerets which they weave their webs with.
>>
>>4303857
I know...when I was a kid I got an ooth and was so sad 6months later when they were all dead. I knew how long they l8ved but I thought I could handle it lol.

I only started seeing them at my house after I started growing weed, they l9ve to hang out on them, I think because pest bugs like them
>>
File: IMG_20220820_175430975.jpg (1.38 MB, 4096x3072)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
Caught a Steatoda grossa in my bathroom and she's been a lovely little desk pet since. She's thicc from eating crickets far larger than she is.
>>
>Flies get into my house all too readily somehow
>This has caused spiders to come in as we
>Small jumping spiders and wolf spiders
>They make webs near my potted plants
>I intentionally give them other small crannies to web up in
>The wolves sit at bay
>Bout to leave for work
>Hear what sounds like a small buzzsaw
>Wolf spider (female) with a large bottle fly
Thank you, spooders.
I still can't figure out how these flies keep getting in. It just feels like more because my home is small.
>>
File: VW.jpg (302 KB, 750x1334)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
One of my velvet worms was out during the day today
>>
Do people buy black widows?
>>
>>4304173
Yeah
>>
>>4304173
Yeah, they seem to be one of the more popular true spiders people like to keep behind jumping spiders and probably some of the huntsmen
>>
File: IMG20220811180733.jpg (2.57 MB, 3000x4000)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
Posting my baby itt, but I don't have a more recent pic
>>
Anyone have experience keeping any of the Asian fossorial tarantulas? That's what I'm looking to add to my collection next but there are so many cool species that fall into that category that I'm having trouble narrowing it down
>>
>>4304140
Isn't that a bad sign?
>>
File: 20220920_172013.jpg (1.12 MB, 2210x2673)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Ran into a couple of these really cool assassin bugs, I believe Zelus tetracanthus, out on a walk last night, my first time encountering assassin bugs in person. I thought about trying to keep them but I didn't have anything on me to catch them in and I don't know exactly what care they require so I decided against it this time
>>
>>4305054
No just unusual
>>
>>4305052
Not Asian but Australian fossorials, so basically the same thing. I haven’t kept them but would recommend Chilobrachys sp
>>
>>4303702
What's a cool insect to keep?

I already have a blue death feigning beetle and love him dearly, what would be another insect I could keep that isn't too demanding and lives fairly long?

I love mantids but I don't want something that'll only live a few months
>>
>>4306609
Scorpions, vinegaroons and tarantulas are simple and last a long time. Carabid beetles are tonnes of fun but are always wild caught so you won’t know how old it is, they can live a few years though. Centipedes are the coolest but also the sketchiest
>>
>>4306609
Not insects but tarantulas are both one of the easiest and the longest lived inverts plus there's a ton more info on their care than basically any other inverts because they've been relatively popular for decades. Only downside is all of the coolest species have a pretty potent venom and can be very fast and cantankerous depending on the particular specimen so you have to take that into consideration. It's not life threatening like some of the coolest scorpions but by all accounts a wet bite from any Asian and a lot of African species will definitely fuck up your week
>>
>>4306720
one of the best species isn't either aggressive nor venomous, but it does kick hairs and it's fast. the GBB tarantula I've posted above is like that. Aggressive with prey, big webbers, displays all the time
>>4303984
>>
>>4306746
Yeah I had a brainfart and forgot about the GBB, it would be my number one recommendation as a first tarantula especially if you only want to keep one or want to get into some of the more high strung Old World species. It's not so fast it's difficult to manage but it's fast and skittish enough to get used to that kind of behavior before moving on to something more potent, plus it's absolutely beautiful and changes pattern with each molt as a juvenile which is fascinating to watch.

I always wanted to get into the OId Worlds so I got one of these first and used it to train myself out of the startle response when it would move really quick out of nowhere, I feel like that was a very valuable step to take before I moved into anything with nastier venom to minimize the chances of fucking up and taking a bite
>>
>>4306560
This is the genus I've been somewhat leaning toward, I get the impression they tend to be on display a lot more often than some of the other Asian species and there are several species I really like the look of. There's a shop not too far away that I think usually has some pretty extensive selection of Ts so once I have some spare cash I might go by there and see if they've got any I like
>>
>>4303984
>>4303985
looks like a nice lair it's built
>>
>>4304245
>""""true"""" spiders
This pisses me off so much.
>>
>>4307465
I’ve seen a couple people say tarantulas are not spiders because they’re not true spiders. Those were fun conversations
>>
File: C. coynei.jpg (56 KB, 738x415)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>is the only invertebrate in the world that exists as the apex predator in its environment over vertebrates
>eats animals as large as seabirds
>is one of only two giant Cormocephalus
>will likely never exist in the invert trade since its found on only one remote island you can’t even access without a guide
I want one so bad bros
>>
I have a Tliltocatl albopilosum that recently molted, and took a roach some days ago. But now it has closed its burrow off again, I assume this is normal behaviour (since tarantulas tend to be weird like that), but man, I am so sad I don't get to see it walk around the terrarium I made for it. I doubt it is a pre-molt a week after molting, just it being a dickhead. Hopefully it'll be on full display once it becomes an adult.

Also, it does have a planted terrarium that I water (not mist) once a week. From what I gather, it is a dry species, so do you guys think It'll be okay with that? It does just hang out in its burrow, which is naturally more humid, so I assume it would go out if it felt that it was too humid.
>>
File: leggi.jpg (110 KB, 1280x720)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Somebody give me the centipede pill

Are they a cool pet? what species would you recommend and why're the species so fucked up? so many confused sp
>>
>>4307681
>Somebody give me the centipede pill

Centipedes can make a good pet, but they are not for beginners. And the big ones are super fast, unforgiving, aggressive and their bite is like spine surgery with gloves/tools made of acid. The vietnamese centipede (which is the most common large pet centipede and probably the one in your pic) is all that. Even experienced keepers can get bitten. The story that goes around is that a few keepers have been bitten when the centipede crawled up their feeding tongs. They are that aggressive.

So just know, this is a fast and dangerous pet and unless you are very, very experienced, you ought not to get one. That said, if you live in a (sub) tropical place, you can easily find one in a dead tree. They need humid spaces to live, so i you are willing to go find one, you can. Most local species while smaller do grow to a decent size, even here in scandinavia they can get to 2/3 cm. And their bite is most likeally not any worse than a bee sting if they are willing to bite a human at all. So find a local one if you can do so. Just make sure they are not protected where you live, but they are a pest almost everywhere in the world, so chances are they aren't.

Otherwise, if what you want is a leggy pet, giant millipedes are everything centipedes aren't, except for the size. They are easy to keep, can't bite and slow moving. Plus they look cute chomping on some cucumber.
>>
>>4303984
What's the pretty fella's name?
>>
Had a male Phillipinian Walking Leaf and a female one, male one was adult before the female one, the female molted to adultness one or two months later, they immediately fucked a day later after she molted, then a few days later the male kicked the bucket. Is this normal? I also have Peruphasma schultei and they fuck all the time and the males are still alive. Walking Stick lady already laid a few eggs, are they now fertilized or not? Does anyone know?
>>
>>4307856
Sprite. She's 3 years old, still a long way to go
>>
>>4307681
>Are they a cool pet?
They’re the coolest pet inverts
>what species would you recommend and why're the species so fucked up?
Depends on where you are and what you’re looking for. Avoid arid species as they’re hard to keep alive long term and avoid Asian species as they’re more flighty and venomous. Scolopendra alternans is a good one. The idea they’re super aggressive is a bit of a myth, they’re fast and venomous but are pretty reluctant to bite most of the time. Use a large plastic tub with walls taller than its body from the substrate so it can’t reach to the lid and it should never escape
>>
>>4303708
>literally cries every time he loses a colony
>psychopath
You picked the absolute worst example imagineable, good job anon.
>>
>>4308065
>Avoid arid species as they’re hard to keep alive long term
Does this apply to S. polymorpha as well? I'm wanting to get into centipedes soon now that I've had some experience with Old World tarantulas and I've generally heard they're great for beginners and they seem significantly easier to find for sale than any other species besides S. dehaani, but I'd rather not get something that's just going to die on me in a few months
>>
>>4303702
This little creature was next to my door a week ago
>>
>>4308087
Can’t say since I’ve never kept them, but I’m pretty sure polymorpha is less likely to die than heros. Keep it in a well ventilated enclosure with mostly dry substrate and water dish regardless. Also make sure it’s got something to squeeze under, they prefer much tighter hides than something like a tarantula
>>
>>4308355
Yeah, that was basically my thinking, dry sub with a small water dish and maybe moisten down a tiny corner of the sub and plenty of ventilation on top and several rows above substrate level as well with some flat pieces of cork bark partially buried to give it some places to hide underneath. Do you have any advice on specific things to use for enclosures? I like using plastic storage tubs and deli cups for my juvenile terrestrial/fossorial tarantulas but I don't know if those would be sufficiently secure to keep a centipede contained
>>
>>4308362
Plastic storage tubs are the most secure enclosures you can use, just make sure the lid locks and that the plastic is rigid enough that the lid can’t be bent upwards to make an opening while locked. If the sides are taller than your centipede and there’s no air holes or whatever to cling to then it should be escape proof
>>
>>4308375
Do you have any specific plastic tubs you'd recommend? The ones I have are pretty shallow and only lock on 2 sides so I don't think they'd be appropriate
>>
>>4307699
good info
the centipede/millipede duality is funny
>>
File: tarantula-in-enclosure.jpg (952 KB, 2400x3200)
952 KB
952 KB JPG
what is the oldest tarantula you've ever had/seen before?
>>
>>4308413
>Do you have any specific plastic tubs you'd recommend?
Not the previous anon, but you are looking for a tub about twice the adult lenght of the centipede and about the adult length width. Insects don't need a lot of space, so you could probably do with a little less, but make sure it can fully stretch with some room to spare. Whatever tub you find that is that length and width will probably be deep enough (assuming it is NOT a bedroller). Centipedes like to dig, so just make sure it has a lot of space and substrate.

You may want some extra height as I am pretty sure must centipedes can climb plastic, so a little leeway to be able to throw a lid on should it try to climb the plastic is probably not a bad idea.

Personally, I love glass tanks, so if you can find a (used) aquarium with a lid/making your own lid it would look way better than any tub setup. About 20 gallons would probably do. And fish tanks are piss easy to find, ask around, you probably have a friend of a friend that had fish at some point, otherwise finding a used one is super easy too.
Throw some cocofiber in there, some corkbark as hides, perhaps some aquarium decorations and some plants. Wandering jew, pothos, babys tears, creeping fig and Pilea depressa make great easy to care for terrarium plants. Just get a 40/60K lumen LED light strip on a timer and throw a culture of spring tails in there and you are set!
>>
File: 1649020008376.png (292 KB, 750x750)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
How do I get over my arachnophobia? My skin crawls at every image in this thread.
>>
>>4308070
He's just mugging for YouTube. If he really cared he wouldn't go through colonies so fast, or do dumb shit like put axolotls in with fire ants.
>>
File: 1585936828796.png (215 KB, 531x400)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
>>4308757
Simple, learn more about them. Once they become less alien and more grounded, it becomes easier to see that they aren't that spooky.

Watch some videos on them, I've seen a lot of people on spider rehousing/unboxing videos say that helped their arachnophobia. I really like the Dark den, it is hosted by a Czech guy and he is quite entertaining, he also keeps a lot of other things. But mostly all matter of creepy crawlie. But if you don't like the accent Tarantula kat has a fun off-the wall editing style. Feels very oldschool youtube. Clints reptiles is good too, he does care guides and Tarantula collective does some super pretty videography to stand out.

But even for me, someone who grew up liking insects, I still feel a little apprehension holding some of them. Mostly out of respect, as I know some species can deliver a painful bite, pinch or kick. Had the chance to hold an adult jungle nymph, and while it is mostly harmless, it could rear up and draw some blood with a kick. So I was a little on edge. Don't confuse fear and respect, one is an irrational response, while the other isn't.
>>
>>4308449
There’s a guy on arachnoboards with a G. rosea that’s likely over 30
>>
>>4307699
I find that centipedes are over exaggerated in their dangerousness. They aren’t particularly aggressive, just often fast and nervous. Lots of species are perfectly suitable for a beginner if you just avoid species like dehaani and subspinipes. I had 0 issues keeping Ethmostigmus rubripes early on and never came close to being bitten despite messing around with them a lot. Lots of species like S. polymorpha don’t even hurt that bad.
>>4308633
>I am pretty sure must centipedes can climb plastic, so a little leeway to be able to throw a lid on should it try to climb the plastic is probably not a bad idea
The reason people usually use plastic tubs is because they can’t climb plastic unless there’s air holes or something to grab onto
>>
>>4308757
Start by touching pictures of them.
>>
>>4308869
>The reason people usually use plastic tubs is because they can’t climb plastic unless there’s air holes or something to grab onto
Fair enough, I just skimmed a few articles that said they could, but I'll admit I didn't know for sure. Cheers!
>>
Looking for a first invert that will make good use of a decent sized enclosure and will be visible a lot of the time. I know tarantulas are ambush hunters and probably don't even care but damn still makes me sad seeing a tarantula take up half its enclosure width.
Currently looking at GBBs thanks to >>4303984 but I'm open to other suggestions, tarantula or not.
>>
File: horridassasinicon_1920x.jpg (890 KB, 1920x1080)
890 KB
890 KB JPG
>>4309340
a colony of Platymeris sp. or Psytalla horrida
>>
>>4307532
Probably for the best. We both know plenty of species have been fucked up by the pet trade.
>>
>>4309347
seconded. these are cool
>>
>>4309347
I'd love to get my hands on some of these but I don't think I've ever seen them for sale anywhere
>>
>>4303708
The worst are people that feed live vertebrates, usually lizards and mice it seems, to tarantulas and centipedes and shit, something has to be seriously fucked up with you to even consider doing this
>>
How long can a recently mated ant queen last without water? I caught one yesterday, but I still don't have a test tube to put the water in.
>>
File: tarantula.jpg (795 KB, 1024x1366)
795 KB
795 KB JPG
My baby girl
>>
>>4306548
they kinda suck to get stung by as well so i wouldnt really recommend trying to catch them on an impulse
>>
>>4306609
scolopendra and the damon genus is pretty great, requires fuck all and look cool
tarantulas is a given
>>
>>4312463
Have you been tagged by that species? I figured they would be unpleasant but not as bad as some of the larger species out there.
Regardless I would never try to catch or handle bare handed something that can give me a solid bite unless it's an individual that I'm familiar enough with to know how to read its body language and know when it's time to leave it alone
>>
>>4307532
>observed to get up to 23.5 cm large
>would most likely be able to get bigger
its not even that their able to get massive their venom however would most likely fucking stink because its already engeneared towards vertebrates.
menace
>>
>At least one human death has been attributed to the venom of S. gigantea. In 2014, a four-year-old child in Venezuela died after being bitten by a giant centipede which was hidden inside an open soda can. Researchers at Universidad de Oriente later confirmed the specimen to be S. gigantea

who wanna bet thats not what happened?
how does a giant centipede hide in an opened soda can and how do you not notice?
>>
>>4307681
species doesnt really matter their all relatively samey temper wise however there is major difference in size, color and venom strength.
i own a subspinipes and a dehaani and both were pretty cool, killed the dehaani cause i fucked up the humidity but that was just me being a rampaging retard
>>
>>4308633
word of notice is their ingenius little fuckers and will absolutely get out if they can, their worse than snakes in that department because their surprisingly strong and incredibly curious
>>
>>4312477
not the one in your picture but i cant imagine they deviate too heavily but yea its pretty stinky, not the worst nor the deadliest but def something id prefer not to deal with you know?
i never handle any of my venomous insects i just dont see the point, unpredictable little shits its bound to happen
>>
File: IMG_20220927_153420496.jpg (2.91 MB, 4000x3000)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
could anyone ID this moth?
pic taken in Southern California.
>>
>>4312499
Yeah, I'll handle mantids when I have them and I'll handle some araneomorphs that don't have crazy hot venom, both wild and captive, since spider body language is really easy to read most of the time, but I never handle any of my tarantulas or even my widow, I know she won't bite but I don't see a need to drag her out of her nice home just to fuck with her for no reason.

Whenever I end up getting some centipedes I probably will work with them by hand to an extent though, largely because from what I understand they're intelligent enough to learn you're not a threat so I'd rather have any specimens in my care somewhat accustomed to me in case I run into some kind of emergency situation where I need to interact with them immediately, seems like it'd be safer all around
>>
>>4312516
Looks like a white lined sphinx moth, I get them a lot here in AZ. They're really cool to look at but they make an ungodly racket banging into everything when they get stuck in your garage and can't find their way back out
>>
>>4311911
pretty!!
>>
File: 20220928_152217.jpg (2.4 MB, 2902x3581)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
Mantis
>>
>>4312542
oh yea anything that just takes a swipe at you i dont care, like damon genus mantids, certain stick bugs whatever man its just the venom thats obnoxious

Pedes you can handle just fine and yea through observation it does seem that they recognize you somewhat, whether itd be by feel, pheromones or sight i am not too certain yet id have to do more research however be prepared you are most likely gonna get bitten at least once its just a part of the package, so have 112 ready the first few times in case of allergies.
>>
So a son or daughter of the spider kingdom decided to invade my kingdom (my bedroom). I promptly escorted him or her back to the garden, told them to fuck off and next time they try that shit they'll be dead. Was this the correct way of handling a foreign menace such as this.
>>
>>4313499
yeah
>>
File: 20220915_171130.jpg (1.86 MB, 4032x1816)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
bros i miss my mantises so much. i got it to mate and everything only for it to escape. i spent so long looking for it, but several days later my cat drags it in. rip my nigga who i never named. i found my love of mantis through you
>>
>>4314164
F
>>
File: 20220912_232821.jpg (965 KB, 4032x1816)
965 KB
965 KB JPG
>>4314164
this mantis was the friendliest bug i ever met. all it would do is chill, i could leave it outside on the roses and it would be there waiting for me later. it never felt like it could just suddenly happen like it did, but one moment it was on me the next it wasn't. given that i had taken a lot of benadryl and a benzo to pass out when it had abandoned ship, trying to find it was an actual nightmare that persisted the entitety of the day until i could no more. i would do anything to bring my nigga back
>>
File: 20220916_054050.jpg (950 KB, 4032x1816)
950 KB
950 KB JPG
>>4314176
unfortunately the real tragedy is within the first mantis i caught. the guy on the left just never could function after it reached it's final molt. no matter how hard i tried to get it to mate, the male would actually begin to attack the female.. so in the end, my little guy only became the 2nd part of the meal. the hunchback female asshole mantis fucked up the other male i caught that is breeding the female in the pic above and it died several days after mating as a result. i let her out and she never showed up again.. but at least somehow, i managed to return something back.. i just wish i wasn't so heartbroken over my main nigga
>>
File: 20220831_235449.jpg (996 KB, 4032x1816)
996 KB
996 KB JPG
>>4314180
>>
File: 20220913_194936.jpg (1017 KB, 4032x1816)
1017 KB
1017 KB JPG
>>4314181
>>
File: 20220914_163208.jpg (948 KB, 4032x1816)
948 KB
948 KB JPG
https://youtu.be/rx2B14eVcu8
>>
File: 20220914_161837.jpg (919 KB, 4032x1816)
919 KB
919 KB JPG
>>4314186
better pic
>>
>>4306746
all tarantulas are venomous
OWs just tend to be more potent
>>
>>4314265
true i meant to say they don't have a strong venom
>>
>>4313499
>Anon thinks their home is some kind of sterile environment that is apart from the surrounding ecosystem
>>
>>4303702
Got bit by a cute jumping spider today boys. Feels bad getting rejected.
>>
>>4313499
Update: after an incredibly short period of peace established by my returning of the Spider Prince completely unharmed, they retaliated by placing a black spy in my pocket to ambush me in the toilet. I left him writhing in pain on the floor.
It's like the little cunts want a war.
>>
File: file.png (1.1 MB, 1500x2000)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
what is this lil nigga
found him walkin around in my house
>>
>>4314826
Leafhopper, harmless and cute
>>
>>4314724
How did you manage that? I thought it was almost impossible to get those fuckers to bite without outright squeezing them against your skin
>>
File: 20221002_222536.jpg (241 KB, 914x998)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>4303702
What is this spider I caught crawling on me?
>>
>>4316376
I think she was gravid and had more to lose

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.