[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: handling session.jpg (50 KB, 940x558)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
cont. from >>4291055
>green anaconda edition
This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
www.joshsfrogs.com
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
http://www.anapsid.org
http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/
>>
M O O S E
O
O
S
E
>>
>>4301432
Did Brian Barczyk finally get punished by his own snake?
>>
>>4301432
>they stop for buns at the beginning of the movie
Asking for it desu.
>>
File: importantmoose.jpg (501 KB, 2992x1688)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
>>4301482
He has been summoned
>>
>>4301494
dangerously based
>>
>at the final stages of enclosure construction, just have to mount the background
>im retarded and fucked up the construction so the sides dont mate with the back and im torn between trimming everything little by little till it does what I want it to do and just starting completely over with it
>one of my snakes appears to have contracted scale rot on her tail too, so Ive got that on top of everything else.
This entire thing has been nothing but a source of stress and grief since I started. I just want to be done, Im so fucking tired of this shit. Part of me wants to completely give up, rehome my snakes and just never deal with any of this again.
On the bright side a 4x2 universal rocks background is like 300 bucks and a 4x8 sheet of XPS is like 30, so I can fuck up and start completely over ten more times before I break even there.
>>
what does /herp/ thinks about green keel-bellied lizards?
>>
>>4301621
lacertids and teiids are based.
>>
https://youtu.be/wh7uK0o16MI
>>
File: IMG_20200630_173303.jpg (2.7 MB, 3968x2976)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
Kinda' reptile related: I went to ikea yesterday and saw these lights called "Ytberg", cheap LED lamps that are flexible enough to make a reverse "J" shape. Perfect for sticking to the back side of a vivarium. I am a little unsure, but wouldn't these work as terrarium lights? I keep inverts in my vivs, so the lighting would be for the plants, not the animals. Of couse these don't work for reptiles, as have *way* stricter lighting needs.

Might pick a few up as I keep some plant terrariums on the side as a hobby. Pic is my the mantis I kept in the tank.

>Link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ytberg-cabinet-lighting-black-dimmable-10527898/
>>
>>4302113
Provided they put out enough light for your plants I dont see why not.
>>
>>4302154
I mainly keep tropical plants in there, think pothos, wandering jew, pilea (depress) and creeping fig. So they aren't demanding light wise, I spent a fair bit on actual terrarium hoods, but I may just replace them since the bulbs I've had for them have been somewhat unreliable.

Thanks for the reply!
>>
File: IMG_6677.jpg (2.26 MB, 4032x3024)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
Alright herp, really thinking about giving UVB to my viper gecko. Its nocturnal, though I have caught it trying to bask during the day by sticking its leg or tail out of a hide. I caught it this morning chilling with the lights on. The tank is 20" wide X 10" deep X 12" tall, with a custom plastic/mesh lid.
Anyone have recommendations for what kind of UVB lamp/bulb they would get for a set up like this?
>>
>>4302209
Also does anyone else keep these or other nocturnal geckos, do you offer UVB? Been giving it calcium and D3 supplement as long as I've had it which is maybe 2 months or so.
>>
File: IMG_6678.jpg (1.8 MB, 4032x3024)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>4302213
forgot pic
>>
>>4301571
So after that initial whiny bitch hissy fit temper tantrum I was able to trim it up and get everything working, or at least working well enough so that al just need to patch some voids with gap filler and touch up the paint job, which I was going to have to do anyway.
If I can give any of you who want to start building your own enclosures some advice, it's to make a 2x2 or something first and then just sell it or something. Start small, get all your mistakes and first-draft prototyping out of the way before you do a big one.
>>
>>4302209
arcadia has it as shadedweller/low level.
>www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/crepuscular-species/
And yeah even nocturnal species do cryptic basking.
>>
>>4302219
seems like any 7% UVB bulb will do then? Not sure I see one of their lamp products that would be best for my set up.
>>
File: FcowhoRWAAI0HdD.jpg (78 KB, 1170x649)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
enclosure upgrades coming soon. my lads are GROWING. this will leave me with a 10gal. I want a smol snek that can live in it forever. anyone have one of the little milk/king varieties? ever see em at an expo? thinking scarlet king or New Mexico milk, like 18" adults. there are a couple other small milks. maybe a male hognose but not until the bubble bursts and they get cheaper
>>
>>4302233
yeah that's just their sizing guide. go for a smaller one and give a gradient to shade, is the main takeway
>>
>>4302234
>the world through the eyes of a canadian.jpg
>>
File: Mourning_Gecko_2021.jpg (1.21 MB, 4096x2733)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
Finally Reptile Shows in germany again and Im getting one (or two) of those little fuckers in two days. I already read some books, looked on the internet, watched some videos etc.

Will keep them in a jar first, but is there anything else i should note? I have the fear that those little shits are super fast and i dont even get them into the jar and they escape? How do you handle this species? As a kid i had a anole once and he was fucked up fast.
>>
>>4302293
>How do you handle this species?
you let them multiply by parthenogenesis and feed them to your bigger herps
>>
File: 20220915_112637-min.jpg (1.53 MB, 3456x4608)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
look at this king chillin in his hammock
>>
>>4302351
cute
>>
File: 20220726_002534.jpg (1.8 MB, 4032x3024)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
This Crocodile Gecko (Tarentola Mauritanica) suddenly showed up at my house after living here for over a decade and never seeing one (I knew they were in the general area but not on my property). I think they look really cool, why dont more people keep them? Free geckos amirite?
>>
>>4302353
I promise he's not fat. It was poop. Loud, smelly poop.
>>
>>4302213
>>4302391

These guys are crepuscular, so based off observing them, they will straight up stay in the same spot all day and its usually a spot that gets full or partial sun for a few hours during the day when they are probably sleeping

These are a pretty different species so idk how much behavior translates
>>
Room temp at night for a beardie? Or UTH warm hide option? Cool hide would be available too
>>
File: lw4th99i1sy81.png (205 KB, 640x554)
205 KB
205 KB PNG
People generally have no problem feeding crested and gargoyle geckos solely on meal replacement powders so why is there such pushback on doing so with other reptiles when Repashy also makes food for other animals?

Anyone with any experience keeping bearded dragons, leopard geckos, skinks or frogs solely on Repashy diet?
>>
>>4302391
Portugal?

I see them often here but they always run away before I can catch one.
>>
File: 20220726_002219.jpg (2.22 MB, 4032x3024)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>4302422
Southern California, similar climate. They are pretty hard to catch BUT ive found the best way is to quickly cup them from behind on a flat surface or around a ledge (pic related). They don't move until you move your hand so you need to grab them and gently pluck them off the wall, which takes more force than you would think because of the setae.

Once they're in your hand they stay still until you stop paying attention and then crawl around your body really fast (weird sensation) or they base jump off your hand and scarper off.
>>
File: xtmauritanicaworldmap.jpg (153 KB, 600x458)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>4302424
They aren't very rare outside of Europe so you got lucky
>>
>>4302427
Very common*
>>
File: 20220909_005228.jpg (2.77 MB, 4080x1836)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
Hello
>>
File: 20220911_024613.jpg (2.6 MB, 4080x1836)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
>>4302435
Why did it rotate like this
>>
>>4302427
They're not super uncommon. Like 78 observations in my area (10000 sq km)
>>
>>4302453
On inaturalist I mean
>>
>>4302415
If I had to guess:
1) price and practicality - one-time initial setup of a dubia colony plus the occasional vegetable scraps versus a recurring fee of 10 bucks for a 3 ounce bottle.
2) reptiles are brainlets - a lot of obligate insectivores dont understand "this is a food" unless it's active and moving around like a bug.
>>
>>4302415
Many insectivores completely refuse food that does not move. It doesn't work.
>>
>>4302435
d'ahh.
>>
>>4302415
>>4302753
Also, the New Caledonian geckos are primarily frugivores in the wild. Bugs are only an occasional snack of opportunity for them. Primary diet on the islands is overripe fruit.
>>
File: NANI.jpg (797 KB, 1744x1358)
797 KB
797 KB JPG
>>
>>4302753
this. Have tried the grub pie with my leo and he'll eat it from tongs, but it just doesn't gel hard enough to make tong feeding practical. If it held together when grabbed it'd be a good way to feed, but leos seem to eat by biting the edge of their prey and then working it into their mouth. So mine just gets whatever bit he bites off and the rest is mushed.
Beardies would probably eat it just fine, especially if you colored it green or whatever their favorite veggie color is.
>>
>>4302829
The only time I managed to make Grub Pie work with insectivores is when my pair of female pictus were gravid. They were ravenous during so as long as there with roaches or mealworms in the bowl as well as chunks of grub pie they would clean the entire thing in the frenzy. Otherwise zero interest.
>>
>>4302812
big kawaii

bros my bp vomited
>regurgitated?
vomited. 24 hours later. stinky. liquid too

that settles the refreezing question. I gave my girl a nasty mouse. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>4302874
>refreezing
That wasn't ever a question mate
>>
>>4302831
my leo will happily try to eat anything you shove in front of his face (possibly due to being mostly blind) but just couldn't make grub pie work except back when he was tiny and banded. The little morsels he'd snatch off the chunk were relatively much bigger than what he'll get now. I think insectivore geckos are especially unsuited to it. They're very movement oriented, not especially smart and catch with their teeth and not their tongue. It's what makes me think a bearded dragon would do much better on it. Little strips of gelatinized soldier fly larvae slurry mixed in with their salad would probably be relished. I don't doubt the stuff's nutritional value, my initial logic was that i wanted black soldier fly maggots but my fridge is too cold for them and buying a weeks worth at a time for a single gecko is exorbitant if you count shipping costs.
>>
>>4303018
>my initial logic was that i wanted black soldier fly maggots but my fridge is too cold for them and buying a weeks worth at a time for a single gecko is exorbitant if you count shipping costs.
Yeah, a small wine chiller or similar pays for itself very fast.
>>
File: 1663349026954.png (930 KB, 1111x960)
930 KB
930 KB PNG
Can anyone tell me what morph ball python this is?
thanks
>>
Is there a good all in one care book, and information guide for Ball pythons?
I know I can find it all online but it's nice to have a book
>>
Any reptiles or amphibians that don't need live feeders? I have a crested gecko and plan on getting a snake, but what else can I feed on frozen food or meal replacements? There are no pet shops that sell insects here and I don't have time or patience to raise them as a sub-hobby.
>>
>>4303173
uromastyx are vegetarian
>>
>>4303153
Electric banana pastel viper ripper XXX het chocolate cocktail albino
>>
>>4303215
this is a joke right? lol
>>
>>4303173
many larger lizards. Blue tongues do fine without live insects (though they're good supplement, but that's one group of lizards I'm sure would be fine eating Repashy grub pie for the nutrition, maybe mixed with ground chicken or turkey). Big monitors just eat lots of animals and don't care if they're dead, but they're a massive commitment.
Turtles don't give a fuck if something's alive, but they can be a bitch to keep due to aquatic stuff. Torts are plant grazers generally but have some of their own issues.
Of those, blue tongue skink would be my choice. Omnivore that'll happily thrive on a diet primarily acquired from the grocery store.
>>
>>4303173
axolotls or (dwarf) clawed frogs
>>
Whats the best way to remove algae from a turtle's shell? I've been using very dilute vinegar and a toothbrush but I feel like this isnt the ideal method.
>>
>>4303225
Are there any small tortoises you would recommend?

>>4303228
Those are the purely aquatic frogs right? Axolotls are cute, I have a community tank but I'm assuming they must live alone right?
>>
>>4303230
More intense UVB in the basking area.
>>
>>4303248
>torts
nah i'm a squamate guy. I'd love to have a pond with native turtles but not interested in keeping them as indoor pets.
>>
>>4303250
Thanks anon, I'll move the UB bulb closer down to her basking spot
>>
>>4303248
Egyptian and Russian tortoises are great
>>
>>4303221
The fact that you need to ask is a better joke than my original post
>>
File: planted.jpg (2.88 MB, 2783x3736)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
>>4301432
planted my tank, we'll see how well it lasts. I figure I will get my lizard sometime in winter depending on when a show rolls through town. Should be enough time for the plants to get well established and to work out what kind of lighting schedule I need.

I found that even the weakest heat light was giving me a 83 degree basking spot. I could use some blocks to make a riser but honestly i figure 75 is probably hot enough for a gargoyle gecko and that's what I get with the LED and UV bulb.
>>
>>4303248
axolotls can live with other axolotls but yeah, fish will either get eaten or nibble their gills. Dwarf frogs can live in a community with fish though. There are also aquatic salamanders that I think will take bloodworms but the salamander hobby has been wrecked by regulations since like 2016
>>
So recently a ban took effect and some herps can't be taken across state lines? QRD?
>>
>>4303431
I don't think this happened
>>
>>4303431
hasn't passed and probably wont pass soon, but something like it will probably eventually pass. It's most likely to impact weird uncommon stuff. If it's a species you see at petco it's probably safe.
>>
>>4303431
the amercia competes act passe din both the house and senate but it appears the lacey act amendments are no longer in the actual text from what I can see.
>www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/4521/text
i remember checking back on this a while ago and there was an amendment to strike the whole text and replace it with the text from a bill from 2021, but I cant seem to find where I saw that before.
Rubio also apparently tried to get them to pass it in 2021, but it just got sent over to a committee and was in limbo
>www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/626
From USARK, who've certainly been watching it more closely:
>To be brief, the “CHIPS-Plus” bill that passed in the Senate passed the House on 7/28 (243-187 vote). This bill includes some of the technology initiatives included in the America COMPETES Act, USICA, and other bills. The portions of COMPETES that were not germane to the intent of the bill (including the bad Lacey Act amendments) were not added to the CHIPS-Plus package. This should be the end of any threat from these Lacey Act amendments for this Congressional session.
>>
>Live in NZ
>Only like 3 lizards to choose from legally
>Build a suitable enclosure and get it inspected by a local authority
>Go full herp and get a govt-granted GENERAL AUTHORIZATION cert to house a protected gecko
>Can't buy or sell them
>Can only trade hands

I'm almost into it just to brag that I am GENERALLY AUTHORIZED
>>
>>4303534
Congratulations on acquisition of the loicense.
>>
>>4303540
Future me thanks your optimism, current me will begin purchasing materials next pay cycle and start looking at the paperwork needed.
>>
bioactive bros I'm in need of some advice.
One of my girls contracted scale rot on her tail and I'm trying to figure out why. I've had my three snakes in a bioactive for about a year now and I've notcied the following recently:
>decreased isopod population - used to see them pretty much every day, now barely at all. springtails seem to be numerous though
>soil has sunk quite a bit
>was exceptionally damp (probably the reason for the scale rot) but the drainage layer appears bone dry.
Pulled all of the decor out, saw maybe a handful of isopods on a chunk of cork but that was it. fluffed the soil, added more to bring it back to its original level, and have been easing up on the misting. still smells fine, so it hasnt crashed as far as I know, but clearly something is wrong. What do?
Additonally, I've got a 4x2x2 enclosure in the pipe for an upgrade once my girl gets better, but in the interests of giving her a good clean environment to come back do once she's out of quarantine, should I just do cypress mulch in the new enclosure? Should I uproot everything in the OLD enclosure now and just do cypress there to make sure my other two girls are safe?
Sick (and cranky) snek related.
>>
File: 09162214212.jpg (1.08 MB, 3468x4624)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Varanus Jobiensis basking. Healthy, thriving.
>>
>>4303550
I'd throw some eye bolts into that wood to mount that hammock, I wouldnt trust those suction cups
>>
>>4303551
The suctions are there because im too lazy to untie them, its hooked on to a 40lb adhesive hook.
>>
>>4303548
what kind of snek? a garter? im usually not a /herp/ regular but your gal caught my eye
>>
>>4303557
valley garter, yeah. T sirtalis fitchi. this is one of her sisters catching some warm. They can be flighty dicks but I love them.
>>
>>4303568
I never thought I'd like a snake with keeled scales, but they're great. it's like she's wearing a coat made of sesame seeds.
>>
>>4302293
You don't handle them. I have them in a bioactive enclosure, and they are pretty skittish. Come out at night, shout at each other, and eat/shit. When you open the enclosure better have a cup ready, since they jump and run like crazy.
>>
>>4302874
Never refreeze, or even leave a mouse in too long. I left a mouse in too long with my hognose, she partially ate it, vomitted it out, and never touched a mouse again. Now I need to feed her fish.
>>
>>4303587
>never touched a mouse again
oh please let this not happen
>>
>>4303592
Quail isnt that expensive online
>>
>>4303764
Fish aren't expensive either. Honestly, I don't understand why people insist on feeding mice to snakes that will eat fish. Fish are super convenient.
>>
>>4303772
Monitor spoiled me since hes a trash compactor, wouldnt dream of a food monoculture
>>
>>4303592
I think most online frozen feeder places should have some fish as well. It is not a problem. The only issue is that Hoggies already reek, and add some fish to that and you got a nice stank going.
>>
>>4303356
For a gecko this needs a lot more vegetation up top. You should get some pothos up top.
>>
>Reptile Show in Cuckmany finally after three years of muh pandemic
>finally ill get my Mourning Gecko!
>Nowhere to be found
>Ask everywhere
>we had some but they were sold out 30minutes after the show started
>internal screaming
>also didnt find a mate for my lonely firebelly toad girl, didnt find Ladykiller millipedes, didnt find any beetles except pachnoda and ass expensive stag beetles
>but did find a MASSIVE new waifu for my 20 year old whites tree frog grandpa, shes almost Blue and i already love her
>did find Bumblebee centipedes, Panda Rubberducky Isopods and Question Mark Roaches
>didnt find Hierodula mantids but i still have a ootheca that will hopefully hatch, didnt find more Phillipine walking leafs but i still have a fertilized female at home (wanted more for genetic diversity) and met the guys that own a reptile shop in my street where i buy my feeders and they told me they have one mourning gecko and as soon as she lays eggs i can get some

So i will still get the fucking gecko.
Im 50% dissapointed and 50% satisfied at least getting the inverts and the beatiful fat froge.
Weird thing with the Firebellytoad though. They were once super common in every pet shop, wild caught ones (which i avoided) and captive ones. Didnt see one for ages.
>>
>>4303897
Yep, I have a plan there. Got a big pothos vine growing in my fish tank. Also, it's going to be ~2-3 months before i get one and I have a lot of vines planted towards the bottom. I plan to guide them up through the branches and onto the background.
>>
>>4303908
2-3 months is a good amount of time to let the plants and whatnot settle, if it's a fresh setup.
>>
>>4303905
I found something similar when I first saw firebellied newts at my LFS. Never seen them before, ever, so blow me down when I look them up after getting home and find the internet absolutely littered with people treating them like breeder mice. "They're in every pet store, every kid has had one and adults ignore them like the ill-thought plague they are" yet there I was paying $70 each for my pair lmao.

As for the frogs, they may not be super pretty like all the dart morphs, but orange/brown/green are very fitting colours for any paludarium setup.
>>
>>4303534
If they just made it easier to breed and trade them they wouldn’t have such an issue with poachers
>>
>>4303772
isn't there a problem with goldfish? does it only apply to lizards, not snakes? nutritionally, besides the parasites
>>4303855
colubrid poop is gross. baby corn has muddied me up twice now. gotta love the infrequent and well-formed ball python turds
>>
>>4304080
the thiaminase problem with goldfish (and some other cyprinids) is massively oversold but it applies to everything. Goldfish aren't really the best feeders in any event though. Most things that eat fish dont need big feeders and livebearers are all much easier to culture, and there's a huge range with them from about 0.75'' to 6''. Plus culturing your own you end up with much healthier animals and can gutload them unlike petstore feeder goldfish which are frankly a gross mess.

Parasites largely aren't an issue either going from an aquatic to a terrestrial animal.
>>
>>4302209
>>4302216
Cool enclosure love the grass
>>
>>4302391
Wow cool we have an invasive gecko species in Texas I don't see as often around my house anymore because the Cuban anoles are very many, they have fins and shir growing off their heads and tails and they are fast fast
>>
>>4304080
Mollies and platys are ten times better for culturing than goldfish are. And if you need to buy your fish, go to the asian market and pickup some smelt.
>>
Realistically how bad would it be if I breed exotic geckos by the hundreds and release them into my local woods
>>
I've just caught about two dozen wild isopods, mostly a. vulgare. Are they safe to use in my vivariums? Or would they be dangerous for my springtails or for my lizards and amphibians if consumed?
>>
>>4304357
they would be fine
>>
File: 20220918_101246-min.jpg (1.09 MB, 3456x4608)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
>>4304114
>>4304089
thanks kings

my girl Ichigo Mashimaro with a mouse in her belly. she'd been through a box of fuzzies, thought I'd try a "small," but the single mice seem to be bigger than in the 6 pack. it was more like a medium but she got it down. very impressive

they say you can go to 1.5*body width so I don't think I did something bad
>>
File: 20220918_101455-min.jpg (1.46 MB, 4608x3456)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
my boy Scorn is more magnificent by the day
>>
>>4304487
Thats a pretty large meal, but it should be ok, maybe skip next feeding or something
>>
>>4304517
prob gonna change from 2 fuzzies/week to 1 small
>>
File: awwwwwwwwww.png (1.29 MB, 1000x750)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
I believe in Bamboo Ratsnake supremacy
>>
File: snemkkk.png (1.6 MB, 750x1000)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
>>4304587
Her black stripes are diluting more and more
>>
>>4304589
>>4304587
this could be the cutest snek face on earth
>>
>>4304499
Resplendent
>>
>>4304599
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxvc1_zSvY
a challenger appears!

(seriously though, bamboo rats are probably top 5)
>>
>>4304666
based Satan
>>
>>4303153
Pastel it looks like
>>
>>4304599
Awww thanks ! She's even cuter when she flicks her tongue but it's so fast it's hard to get a picture of her with the tongue out.
I don't know what makes bamboo ratsnakes so cute.
>>
>>4304499
Your bosc is fat
>>
File: 0918221457a.jpg (2.31 MB, 4624x3468)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
Muscle development of varanus jobiensis
>>
>>4304736
gorgeous
>>4304729
I think it's just position + full belly but I'll be careful
>>
>>4304748
Could be, do you make him run around for his food? Thats generally a great monitor workout
>>
>>4304769
yeah he chases down a lot of crickets. in two feedings probably 50 of the 80 I bought yesterday. they're already gone lol, beardie and leo got the balance

he mostly eats (calcium-dusted) chicken gizzards and hearts though. they're 2-3% fat, leaner than bugs
>massive controversy ensues

still feeding daily cuz he's a baby. figure as long as he's only pooping once the quantity is right. if he were dropping 2/day I'd feed less
>>
>>4304783
Crickets are pretty empty calories
>>
>>4304783
flesh is a little more nutritionally dense than bugs (and organ meat doubly so) so it might be a good idea to space that out a bit more.
Are you weighing him? keeping track of his growth/weight is probbably a good idea, especially with how prevalent obesity is with these guys,
>>
>>4304810
Especially anything from chickens due to how we breed them, if you are gonna go for store bought feeders do snails from an asian market.
>>
>>4304112
Thanks!
>>
>>4304810
uhh he's not much of a touching pet
>>
>>4304686
It is, but I was looking for more specific
>>
My 3' bp who puked a gross hopper (I'm so sorry honey, never again) refused one tonight. She was out climbing though, vibrant colors right after her shed, seems healthy.
>silver lining
now is the time to move her to pinkie rats. if she's gonna be 5' of chonk it's got to happen anyway and probably soon
>>
>>4304899
best to give a week or two without feeding after any kind of regurgitation so she can heal up, snake digestive juices do a number on their esophagus.
>>
>>4304911
gotcha. yeah I knew I was rushing it. selfish, wanted to put the error behind me. also
>lol she's closer to 2ft
>pinkie rats are a little smaller than medium (weanling) mice, should go fuzzy
>>
>>4304867
Doesn't matter, you need to acclimate him to (or at least make him tolerant of) the occasional handling/you messing about in/around his enclosure. If you even have to take him to a vet (or administer injections, which YOU will have to do if he gets sick) you should be able to do so, even if you have to move him in and out with a shift box.
>>
Tips and tricks for collecting branches from outside? Got me some birch and aspen this weekend. Scraped them with a steel brush and rinsed with hot water as of now. Would it also be wise to use yacht varnish to make them last as birch and aspen arent the most mold resistant woods?
>>
File: 179546.jpg (227 KB, 1200x800)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>4304940
if they're going into a snake enclosure and you live in or near any of the states in pic related, either soak them in a dilute bleach solutuon for about 10 minutes (then rinse until you cant smell bleach anymore), or wrap them in paper towels and soak said paper towels in said bleach and rinse.
Also, if they're small enough to fit in your oven, 250 for a few hours (longer is better) to dry them out.
>>
>>4304939
Good advice. Planning to just lure him into a box with food when I move him to a bigger enclosure. I can grab him with gloves, he just hates it.
>>
>>4304957
if you dont do it now it will become a lot more dangerous when hes 4 foot and can tear your hand off
>>
>>4304956
Not from the states but from a nordic country. They are way too big to fit in the owen and im a bit sceptical about the bleach, wont it stay in the wood?
Dont have a bathtub to keep them completely submerged for a longer time. :(
>>
>>4304960
Ophidiomyces ophiodiicola is currently only in the eastern united states (and possibly britain) so I wouldnt be super concerned about that, but it would still be a good idea to sanitize in some way. If you can't smell the bleach it's not on there in significant quantites to harm a reptile, and it decays into salt with a little time either way, but if you're still not sure there are lots of food-grade sanitizers you can use as well. you could even use a steam cleaner to blast the exterior.
Drying and mold are another issue, however. If it's a bioactive enclosure you wont have to worry about mold (springtails will take care of that), but the only thing that dries wood is heat and time, and if you want preserve them they'll need to be dry anyway.
>>
>>4304957
kinda blows my mind because I've only ever seen savannah monitors be big cuddly bois. I'd work on getting him more acclimated to your presence. maybe even just have a closed fist in the enclosure (gloved or not, but dont give him the opportunity to chomp on a finger) to let him realize you coming in doesnt mean he's going to get eaten or harassed. then just work from there.
(note that i have no idea what the bitch in pic related's husbandry is like so I cant endorse her doing what she's doing, this is just an illustrative example)
>>
File: 0918221457.jpg (2.17 MB, 4624x3468)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
>>4304976
"Cuddly" boscs are basically obese and half dead. Give a monitor a 150 degree basking spot and they either turn into demons or crackheads. My jobiensis becomes a crackhead luckily.
>>
>>4304982
So for the case of this bosc, its better for it to be a hyperagressive inquisitive asshole, means its being kept at correct temps.
>>
>>4304970
Okay sounds good, i think ill sanitize some of the branches with bleach and throw em in and see what happens and the rest ill dry out and cover with a couple of layers of yacht varnish for some long lasting decor
>>
>>4304982
>Give a monitor a 150 degree basking spot and they either turn into demons or crackheads
^ What he said
This is how a tame lace reacts to food https://youtu.be/jtQvMCYeYac
>>
>>4304958
truth
>>4304976
cute!! I've heard of docile males but seems like sex would be a factor. I almost certainly have a male and I picked him because he was the alpha bully at the store (they shouldn't have cohabbed the babies, but alas). always select for health! but now I'm gonna have a bigger, meaner animal in a more expensive enclosure. go big or go home I guess
also>>4304915
I'm a retard, snek is long. I see her in her 20gal and she's pretty close to L+W, that is, 3ft. final answer. upgrade soon, she'll get the 40 again when Scorn is too big
>>
>>4305030
awesome. it's a varanid planet, we just live on it
>>
>>4304983
>>4304982
well that's comforting. my boy's rock hits 125F. he usually basks down on the tile platform around 100F but he'll go up there to charge his batteries for a moment. he's very active until you fill his belly, then he chills
>>
>>4305250
Yeah, they function similar to endotherms. Only time Valkyrie isn't moving is when hes basking.
>>
>>4305209
Females tend to be far more skittish, big male monitors have a "im the big man here" arrogant attitude which gives the appearance of habituation.
>>
File: 20220919_091535-min.jpg (1.6 MB, 3456x4608)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
fat?

fed him already + no poop yet btw
>>
>>4305265
Looking better but id still cut down a bit on the chicken heart. Also get a black tupperware around 2 foot long and a foot deep, then fill it with a sand soil mixture so he can work his arms out.
>>
>>4305273
>>4305265
And toss a couple of night crawlers (not Red Wigglers) in the dirt for him to find.

And make it one of those 38 gallon tough totes that are like $30 at Home Depot, so he’s got plenty of depth and space.
>>
>>4305278
Lol this guy has him in a 40 gallon, if he sticks a 38 tote he wont have a cage.
>>
File: 1663602296118003[1].png (707 KB, 762x816)
707 KB
707 KB PNG
My lizard used to do this thing where he'd stick his head out of his rock every morning waiting to be fed but lately he's not been eating and has blocked the entrance of his rock partway with the coconut fibre substrate, should I be concerned or is this normal?
>>
File: cricket genocide.webm (1.22 MB, 960x720)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB WEBM
>>
>>4305281
>My lizard used to do this thing where he'd stick his head out of his rock every morning waiting to be fed
He's gone neet
>>
>>4305290
unbelievably cute! I thought they only did that for mating displays

want an AFT bad bros
>>
File: 20220919_091945-min.jpg (902 KB, 3456x4608)
902 KB
902 KB JPG
>>4305280
yeah he's mayyybe a foot counting the tail but this winter he's going to his (likely) permanent enclosure. well, probably a 6x2 which he'll outgrow if he's a real beast but it'll take a while
>>4305273
>>4305278
noted! the coco coir is very fluffy. I'll probably mix it with topsoil and play sand for his entire big enclosure
>>
File: LRrKWmp[1].jpg (108 KB, 1316x976)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>4305290
>>4305281
I lifted his rock and presented him a cricket and he was all curled up in a ball, he wagged his tail and lightly nipped at it before eating it. So his appetite seems to be fine for live prey. I think I'll just let him rest for now. If it goes on I'll probably give him some warm baths like I used to when I was worried he was impacted.
>>
You know, my open-top 55gal (4x1) stresses my beardie. She's smol and would be fine in a 40. People say go big for beardies but come on, look at em. 2xW 1xL is the rule and she might never be 18"

The 55 would make a magnificent snek enclosure. Imagine an adult albino corn stretched out in there. I need to fix the plastic around the top (~half has broken off) and get a lid I can clamp on. Then we're in business.
>>
>>4305341
How much clutter is in your tank? The wild is miles upon miles and doesn't stress em
>>
>>4305373
I don't mean the size, just the fact that I can swoop in from above at any time. Front doors would be best but I think she'd feel more secure with a roof. You know, I should get one even if I don't snakeproof it
>>
>>4305389
Fair fair. There is a guy selling a 6x3x2 near me for 500 bucks...
>>
>>4305317
Mix topsoil, sand, clay, and coir for a digging substrate at 3-3-1-1 ratio.
>>
Trickster who refuses to sit still, another day of him trying to attack a wooden dowel
>>
>>4305419
$175 and $250 near me! first needs a sliding door replaced, second needs a top
>>
>wake up, check animals
>didnt lock the lid of sick snake
Fortunately she was more interested in hiding in her paper towel blanket fort than she was getting out.
Remember to check your doors and lids folks.
>>
Seem to be having a problem with getting rid of mites on my bearded dragon, had a look into other types of treatment and have found taurrus mites. Anyone have any expierence with these?
>>
>3 month old ball python in 40 gallon planted viv with overhead heat
>hides all day, climbs at night
>took frozen thawed first try after only eating live at the breeders
>gives zero fucks about being handled
Can't believe I let the rackniggers warning me 40 gallons is too big and UVB lighting is abusive stress me out.
>>
>>4306282
based
>>
what do you typically feed a full grown corn snake? I figure rats but what size?
>>
>>4306834
>what do you typically feed a full grown corn snake
Adult or jumbo mice. Rats aren't necessary
>>
>>4306837
interesting, thanks
>>
>>4306840
Dont do jumbo mice, theyre just fattier large mice
>>
how bad are mealworms for beardies, really? mine loves em and poops just fine. they are giant mealworms though, which I suppose might have less chitin and more gooey innards per gram
>>
So I was walking my dog in the last hour and came across this guy, strangest thing I have ever found considering this is Ireland and we have no reptiles from what I know. I was afraid to touch him incase he ran off so I called an animal shelter and they said they know of a missing bearded dragon in my area, the owner came and picked him up, he has been missing for over a month, honestly amazed he was able to survive, he made it like a mile from home across busy roads and such. His name is Eddie.
>>
>>4306926
Closer pic, I never thought of asking the owner for a picture of him in her hands.
>>
>>4306894
Even jumbo meal worms or super worms are not really a well balanced diet on their own, chitin levels aside, but it’s not the apocalypse unless he’s not getting any supplements or greens. Buy him some soldier glue larvae.
>>
>>4306894
Long as theyre gutloaded and have vitamin(no D3) and calcium supplements its fine
>>
>>4306926
>>4306927
Awesome! I bet Eddy’s owner was ecstatic.
>>
File: withfood.jpg (2.65 MB, 1500x2000)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
She's far from being picky
>>
File: ate.jpg (2.66 MB, 1500x2000)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>4306945
Afterwards. I feel like I'll finally be able to upgrade the size soon enough.

>>4306926
>>4306927
genuinely wholesome
>>
>>4306894
I dont think superworms are BAD for them (ie actively deleterious to their health) as much as it is that there are just better options available
>>
>>4306927
>>4306926
That is amazing! It's already autumn, the poor herp would not have lasted much longer. Ireland is practically Artic. You're a king, Anon.
>>4306938
>>4306939
she gets vitamin/calcium powder and veggies. she seems to refuse all but collard and celery greens. I hear they love watermelon, trying that this week

she's less receptive to tong feeding since she became afraid of me so bugs that stay in a dish are good. too many cricket hiding spots in her wooden climbing stuff
>>
>>4306957
>earthworm
>5 percent chitin
>>
>>4306957
interestingly, she refused superworms before. loves giant mealworms though

I'm absolutely getting a tub of black soldier fly larvae, my beardie's a little skinny and can afford it
>>
>>4306961
based exanthematicus poster

spamming the book. if I ever breed savs I'll hand this out on a CD to anyone who buys one
https://savmon.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Bok-book-unhindered-PDF.pdf
>>
>>4306959
Ive heard bee pollen on veggies makes them smell like bugs, which can get a picky beardy eating.
>>
>>4306965
noted, thanks
>>
>>4306964
Bennet seems like he died with alot of regret
>>
>>4306974
that's a pretty rough disclaimer, ngl. still beats the heck out of the "five mice a day" guides you find by Googling
>>
>>4306982
yeah i fed my jobiensis quite sparingly and he thrived.
>>
>>4306984
mirin hard. how big is your homemade enclosure? down the road I might get an arboreal one. maybe a Timor, which seems like a peach throat but smaller
>>
>>4306987
its 6 long 6 high 28 inches wide, would love to move him into a 8x6x4 but I just lack the space rn. If he hits 4 foot length ill drop my king size bed and switch to a twin size to make room though, lol.
>>
>>4306988
>If he hits 4 foot length ill drop my king size bed and switch to a twin size to make room though, lol.
dedication. I think I'm gonna put a 4x4 grow tent with walk-in (6.5') height in the corner of my bedroom for the sav. worried about him shredding through 2000D on day 1 though. thinking about adding a thin inner wall, sheets of Plexiglass or something
>>
>>4306995
Boscs dont have the sharpest of claws. If an argus can be kept in a grow tent so can a boa,, my only misgivings with it is that you NEED to habituate the lizard that means him seeing you doing daily things and such, and ive yet to see a grow tent with such windows
>>
>>4306940
Yeah she was delighted, said she was gonna bring him straight to the vets.

>>4306947
Thanks, cute snake.

>>4306959
Thank you, couldn't just leave the poor guy there. Yeah it gets pretty bitter here in the winter, no idea how he managed to survive over a month as the nights have been cold lately and lots of rain.
>>
>>4303548
Not to be a cunt about it but bumping for visibility. As of right now I cant really think of a benefit to keeping the bioactive apart from "some extra green in the enclosure." If I have to worry that my girls are rubbing themselves across a field full of bad bacteria because I dont have the paramters right, it doesnt seem worth it.
As an update she's taken to the injections quite a bit better over the last few days, but she's got two coming today so we'll see how that goes.
>>
>>4307061
bioactivity is interesting but only really works for certain very tropical species or your backyard if you live in an area within these snakes native range. its better to do Naturalistic with maybe a swarm of isopods and springtails rather than the whole shebang.
>>
>get tape
>measure room
Okay, after the monitor tent I have just the space and just the piece of furniture for a 20 long. I could conceivably go to 7 herps in my bedroom from 5. But that's a hard ceiling. Unless I start filling my closet with crested geckos. But I'm not gonna do that because self-control. Restraint. Moderation.
>>
>>4307110
dont buy anything else, just expand space for the animals you currently have.
>>
Those of you who own large snakes 7 feet+, aren't you guys afraid of them? What if the boa/anaconda attacks you? How do you guys build a bond with your animals, can you even do that?
>>
>>4307127
I deal with it, no bite from a snake under 15 foot (unless its an amazon tree boa or a male retic in breeder mode) will do more damage to me than my cat on a bad day.
>>
>>4307141
What if they coil after they attack?
>>
>>4307143
They only do this if they are in food mode. Generally a sub 15 ft snake isn't going to view an adult as a potential meal
>>
>>4307143
nothing, its just a snake coiled around my arm. if it gets around my neck (14 foot or larger snake, smaller ones usually just coil your arm) you have someone spray it with listerine and they fuck off
>>
>>4301432
Anyone here have a Burmese python? What’s owning one like?
>>
>>4307163
Theres an anon with a dwarf burm
>>
>>4307099
>bioactivity is interesting but only really works for certain very tropical species or your backyard if you live in an area within these snakes native range. its better to do Naturalistic with maybe a swarm of isopods and springtails rather than the whole shebang.
I'm not entirely sure what the difference would be between bioactive and naturalistic with a cleaning crew.
>>
>>4307190
Bioactive includes live plants and other junk
>>
File: burm.png (783 KB, 1001x679)
783 KB
783 KB PNG
I watched hellraiser last night and this one scene got me unreasonably upset. But honestly that entire petstore was a good deal more horrifying than the guy eating bugs.
>>
>>4307196
You are again gonna have to be more specific, because if I'm going to have a cleanup crew I'm pretty much going to need the exact same substrate as I would if I had plants in there as well, as well as a drainage layer and moss/leaf litter for the bugs to hide in. It would also preclude doing substrate replacement because I would be removing my cleanup crew as well. if the only difference is plants in this case then I might as well just continue with bioactive because it would at least look a little better.
>>
>>4307099
Depends on what you define as bioactive. I would say a naturalistic with isos and springtails counts
>>
>>4307141
Seems like carpet pythons can have an especially bad bite too. This was from a 10 ft coastal, severed an artery
>>
>>4307223
Looks like a breeding bite from a large male, since that species exhibits male to male combat id assume it was one of those bites.
>>
A snake bite wont ever be bad unless its a male in breeder mode OR you tear it off in a panic, when you tear the snake off instead of just enjoying the suck the wound becomes lacerations instead of needles
>>
>>4307308
i dont know about EVER, a green tree boa is gonna be pretty bad even if he just sticks you.
>>
>>4307308
Or if it’s a giant retic or something, especially if it pulls back
>>
>>4307114
boooooooooo
>>
>>4307362
Literal hoarder mentality. Try having acceptable husbandry standards next time
>>
My chameleon egg I bought finally hatched and I'm not sure when. Sometime in the last 2 days probably, hopefully yesterday. The yolk on it was dry.
But it wasn't interested in drinking nor in the tiny grubs I tried to give it, and it was actively climbing and avoiding me, and had open eyes. It seems healthy, and not dying, but I'm a worried because I don't know how long it was waiting.
Will it be ok?
No pics cause baby is sleeping.
>>
File: v a c.jpg (114 KB, 1200x1200)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>4307364
>>
>>4307379
He's not wrong
>how many more animals can I jam in this space
Is horder territory
>>
>>4307382
no one's going in a smaller tank than he needs! this is an interior decorating question, not a husbandry question
>>
>>4307384
My nigga we've seen your enclosures.
>>
>>4307384
You shouldn't be operating based on the bare minimum of "need" but on the premises of "how can I take the absolute best care of my animals" I learned this too late but its never too late to stop.
>>
>>4307384
dude after your like second reptile we were like "maybe you should slow down" and you kept going with no clear plans to stop. You have gone from having zero reptiles and no idea what you're doing to having 5 competely different species in the space of like 3 months with plans to get literally as many as you can fit in one room, with still little no no idea what you're doing.
Your enclosures are bare minimum at best, using a pettube shitter's rule of thumb for sizng (which is shit btw) to stick you animals in bare bones enclosures that wouldnt look out of place outside a skeezy strip mall pet store. You've been REPEATEDLY given advice about the husbandry and diet of the animals already in your care and have completely ignored it again and again (how's the dubia colony coming?).
Stop getting animals. You already have far more than is a good idea for someone just starting out in reptile husbandry, one of which being an animal that's NOTORIOUSLY difficult to care for properly just by itself. You are going to overextend yourself (if you havent already) and your animals are going to suffer because of it.
focus on being really, really good at caring for the ones you have, because right now you're like C- at best, and that's unacceptable.
>>
Banana snake is now part of the family.
>>
>>4307469
>>
>>4307002
when you guys talk about a grow tent are you talking about the reflective things for vegetables? i cant imagine so but i have no idea
>>
>>4307526
Idk what else they would mean
>>
>>4307470
amazing
>>
are petco/petsmart fine for isopods and springtails? apparently they sell them now. and its the only stores nearby me.
>>
>>4308031
I've checked my local petsmart and the isopods (and really most of the feeder insects/worms they have in general) are almost always dead. they have no idea how to keep them, and the little plastic cups they've kept in have no water and a little carbohydrate foam peanut for food. Avoid. try dubiaroaches.com. I've also had a good experience with defiant forest, though, they're a little more expensive.
>>
>>4306834
Not only are rats not necessary, but every obese corn I've seen have been eating rats. Stick to adult mice, and agree with >>4306868
no jumbo mice.

>>4307127
No, I'm not afraid. I have a healthy respect for them, but not fear. I got bit and wrapped by a 9'-9.5' retic once when the power went out and I was moving snakes. It sucked a little, but didn't make me scared of her. Just made me make sure to be more insistent with the hook.
>>
File: regal.jpg (2.8 MB, 3024x4032)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
>>
Retic said hello to me today, was putting a hot side hide in and she poked her head out, tongue flicked a bit then returned to her hide
>>
My snake that I've had since I was 11, I'm now 27, just died. Not sure why yet
>>
>>4308312
Species? If it's a corn snake or something that's getting up there in to old age territory anyway. Sorry to hear.
>>
File: 20220922_120435.jpg (2.2 MB, 4032x3024)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
What kind of gecko is this? I found it work and decided to take care of it.
>>
>>4307469
dude those legos are sick
>>
>>4308384
Looks like a Mediterranean house gecko, they're technically invasive all over the place but I'm under the impression they're not particularly destructive to the ecosystems. Not sure on the care, I've heard they're pretty easy and do well in captivity but I don't know specifics.

I've got a breeding population of these in my backyard and I'm considering trying to keep one for a while at some point if I want to branch out from just keeping inverts so I'd also be interested in any information anyone has about how to take care of them properly
>>
File: IMG-20220922-WA0001.jpg (488 KB, 1200x1600)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
>>4301432
>>
So i apparently have scale on my plants in my bioactive can anyone help me with this? Only plants left are 2 pothos and one philodendron the rest i ripped out. I have a ball python who also lives there. Should i perhaps ask for advice in the /plant/ general?
>>
>>4308579
bob villa (for some reason, but thats who showed up when I searched) says to dab isopropyl on the bugs. If its persistent it may be contaminaged substrate, in which case you'll have to empty and sanitize the enclosure.
>>
File: watching.jpg (145 KB, 1088x816)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
Shes getting a little less shy
>>
>>4308596
FuuuuuuuUUUUUCKK
>>
>>4308412
>not particularly destructive to the ecosystems
this is the case. They're far more well suited to living on or near buildings than they are natural areas outside their native range. So basically they live on houses and eat bugs that also live on or near houses. Don't really affect undisturbed natural areas, don't outcompete any native species, and their prey is generally species that also do better around humans than in their native habitat.
>>4308384
They aren't the best pets though. Plenty of pet geckos to choose from. They do well in captivity but are extremely fast and great escape artists. Just release it outside your door and it'll probably thrive.
>>
>>4308427
baby copperheads are extremely pretty.
>>
>>4308620
Anon, am I seeing things or is that a burm?
>>
>>4308665
you're seeing things because its a retic
>>
>>4308667
A mainland retic?
>>
>>4308672
Yes, although from a smaller bloodline
>>
>>4308675
Fuck anon, be careful. Do you atleast have someone to spot you?
>>
>>4308683
Yes I live with other people but im not worried, the monitor can do more damage.
>>
>>4308620
>mainland retic
beautiful and terrifying
>>
>>4308634
Until you said that I was convinced it was a cotton mouth. Do copper heads have the mask
>>
>>4308631
I'm in the northeast US so not exactly the right climate for it outside, didn't want to just let it die
>>
>>4308724
it is a cottonmouth
i meant to say cottonmouth
i feel dumb
baby copperheads are pretty too, but no more so than the adults. Baby cottonmouths are prettier than either and I wish more adult cottonmouths kept their juvenile patterns.
>>
>>4308722
even the big ones aren't that scary. I have 5.5oz elk hide gloves for dealing with unscrupulous creatures such as wild raccoons and mammals are without a doubt worse than even a 15 foot snake. The real problem with big retics is the massive shits they take
>>
>>4308727
part of why they do so well in cities and suburbs is that they're tiny enough to make use of our dwellings to shelter from extreme temps. I get them in my garage in winter since it's a few degrees warmer, and in my actual house in the summer to escape the heat.
If it's warm enough for them outside at the moment he'll be fine. They aren't tropical animals.
>>
>>4308733
I was gonna say, dont baby copperheads have little dayglo tails they use for caudal luring?
>>
>>4308312
>>4308314
Yeah. Might have just reached the end of its natural lifespan.
>>
>>4308733
>Baby cottonmouths are prettier than either and I wish more adult cottonmouths kept their juvenile patterns.
They keep much of it in some areas of North and South Carolina. They keep the coloring too.
>>
>>4308747
so do baby cottonmouths and you can see it in >>4308427. Not quite as obvious but that one doesn't seem to be a neonate and might be growing out of it.
I just boneheadedly mis-ID'd by transposing two words that start with C and have the same number of syllables in my head. It's an annoying quirk i have when i'm fatigued or still waking up.
>>4308843
awesome
>>
>>4308882
oh, huh. didnt see it the first time around. then again I was phoneposting at the time, and it blends into the background a bit when the expanded image is only three inches wide.
>>
fuckn brown anoles crawling into me room.
What do?
>>
>>4309059
stop fuckn 'em.
>>
File: Closeupanole.jpg (620 KB, 724x976)
620 KB
620 KB JPG
>>4309059
Make friends. You don't want them as enemies.
>>
I hope I get this new job so I can afford to buy a bigger & better tank for my girl. :(
>>
Anyone going to the Sacramento Reptile Show today?
>>
>>4309160
Might go tomorrow, but I really dont feeling like dealing with a reptile shows shitty biosec
>>
>>4309400
>shitty biosec
the what now?
>>
>>4309750
Biosecurity, you could people holding a gazzilion snakes without washing their hands, mites up then wazoo some attention seeking troglodyte with a bearded dragon on his shoulder, the whole shebang
>>
>>4309774
ah i see
>>
>>4309750
i imaging he means "shitloads of people with bad husbandry bringing with them animals that at best hanve snake mites and at worst IBD and nidovirus."
>>
>>4309801
Its cryptosporidium that really scares me but yeah, you got it >>4309776
>>
I don't mind any of that. It's the
>Sacramento
that's the problem.
>>
I have a ball python
And I wanted to get an enclosure but I dont have much space. Right now shes in a plastic tub but that was meant to be temporary for a few weeks.

What is a good enclosure under $250..
If it can be less than 13" tall I can get a length of 45" so that is my ideal situation.

If it isnt under 13", then like 36" is ideal.
Preferably not wider than 20ish inches.

Shes still a baby and shes probably a little smaller than my forearm.
So if I can get by for a few years until I move with a small enclosure thatd be better.

Right now shes in an enclosure thats 21" long, width 14, height 6
I want something a bit taller because one of my hides got crushed and cracked, and a bit longer at least.
I dont want to use another bucket, and I want to be able to use a heat lamp.
>>
>>4310125
40 breeder + UTH would be ideal but if you need a short one a 20 long would work until your animal is like 40"

PetSmart sells a 40B starter pack for $250 but it's usually on sale for $175 or $200
>>
>have beardie
>she's too skinny
>put 5 giant mealworms and 10 waxworms in a bowl with some calcium powder
>she slams them in one go
it's gonna be okay bros

also I just learned about night crawlers' positive Ca:P ratio and gave some to my sav and he loves em
>>
>>4310125
>>4310203
https://www.amazon.com/REPTI-ZOO-Terrarium-Tortoise-Ventilation/dp/B0922CCQFK

What about this plus their heating lamp?
Dimensions look good to fit under 13" so its ideal.

Little more than i was planning to spend but it looks nice and im ok with investing a little more for her.
>>
>>4310239
>her
okay IIRC that means less likely to be semi-arboreal

that tank is probably good for her whole life assuming a 4.5' max length. some people say big enclosures like 120gal for bps but I'm skeptical. if she turns out to be a big girl for you it'll be years from now and you'll want to put something else in the 35gal ^_^
>>
>>4310253
Yeah definitely i am moving in a few years hopefully so this is good for right now i think
>>
File: 1662402810079933.png (357 KB, 591x874)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
>>4301432
what species of frog is this
>>
>>4310304
western big-bellied frog
>>
File: 1638886403155.jpg (80 KB, 1374x1233)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
I'm buying this lamp for a ball python (picrel).
https://www.amazon.com/REPTIZOO-Fixture-Reptile-Integration-Design/dp/B07CWKXYPP

Which bulbs do I get with it?
I presume a heating one, and a lighting one. I will turn the lighting one off at night because it is in my bedroom. But the heating one I presume I can keep on and there is no light because it's infrared.

Can I use a regular RGB bulb so I can change the colors for the lighting one then?

If I had to gander, I presume these two will work?
https://www.amazon.com/LIFX-Color-800lm-Edison-Screw/dp/B08BL16M81
https://www.amazon.com/REPTIZOO-Reptile-Ceramic-Infrared-Terrarium/dp/B07CWNWC5T

>Also do I need to get some sort of temperature monitor or something that turns it on or off? Or do I just let the heating one run 24/7?
>And can I place that fixture directly ontop of the mesh screen? Or will it cause it to cave in. This is the enclosure I have:
https://www.amazon.com/REPTI-ZOO-Terrarium-Tortoise-Ventilation/dp/B0922CCQFK
>>
>>4310313
you could get a cheapo single dome and put an ordinary incandescent bulb in it, say 60W. you only need low 90s Fahrenheit on the hot side

my leo is also in a 12" high tank and the 60W gets it to 94 on top of his hide. I keep the room between 74 and 78

night drops are fine
>>
>>4310321
I want the dual because I want to have one for lighting and then one for heating. So I wanted to put like a RGB bulb in the lighting one to put cool effects lighting, but then use the other bulb so she has heating/basking.
>>
>>4308189
Why is there a penny in that bowl?

Also anyone have suggestions for some realistic tropical looking 3d backgrounds that are reasonably price (sub $200) for a glass enclosure?
For snek
>>
>>4310332
A clean penny is supposed to slow the growth of mildew in the water. I don't know if it actually works.
>>
>>4310333
The snake won't swallow it?
>>
Still a giant asshole(he almost got me again here because I was looking at my phone)
>>
>>4310341
>YOU DIED
>>
>>4310341
>>
>>4310332
>>4310333
>>4310337
Copper has antimicrobial properties and prevents bioflm buildup, and pennies minted before 1982 are 95% copper. in terms of the snake swallowing it, they'd have to pick it up straight off of the bottom of the bowl first, which is difficult for people let alone a snake's face. if it's a concern though you could just as easily use a short piece of clean copper wire epoxied in a few spots an edge of the bowl, or if you have a filter, copper piping somewhere in the outlet.
>>
>>4310341
grow a dewlap, pussy
>>
File: 1633605098785.jpg (596 KB, 2560x1232)
596 KB
596 KB JPG
take the toadpill anons
>>
>>4310354
Actually a small sheet of copper would work too
Obviously not as cheap but I'd probably trust it more than the penny and be a bit visually nicer imo because you can cut it
https://www.amazon.com/Bopaodao-Copper-1000mm-99-99-Crafting/dp/B09N2FCW4Y?psc=1
>>
>>4310359
think I'm getting a pacman frog when my corn outgrows his baby tank
>>
>>4303153
>>4304686
>>4304873
Anyone know about this?
>>
>>4310360
true, but pennies are typically easier to come by, and are essentially free. just root around in your lose change and you're likely to find a few that are over 40 years old.
additional protip: nothing cleans them quite as well as ketchup, i've found. spread it on thick, let it sit for 15-20 minutes, and gently rinse off.
>>
how/why dont snakes escape from racks that just use sliding bins?
Theres so much room for them to just squeeze out between the top of the bin, especially when theyre babies
>>
>>4310516
There shouldn't be room for most species to escape from most racks, unless they are a poorly thought out home made one. Something like a baby garter snake could maybe escape, but nothing at least the size of a bp hatchling.
>>
>>4310516
The only snakes that might have the strength to wrestle out of a rock system are retics, anacondas and probably your massive Colubrids like indigos and yellow tail cribos.
>>
Anyone prefer the basic Leopard Gecko pattern the best? I've seen dozen of morphs at this point and the only ones that are appealing to me are those that barely change the normal patteration except with a 50 dollar markup. Can't really beat mother nature in the looks department I guess.
>>
>>4310609
Several leo morphs are very cool but it's never something I would pay extra for. Standard wild type leos look great.
>>
>>4310609
yep. White and yellow with black spots is objectively good looking.
>>
>>4310609
kind of want a footlong bright orange one
>>
>>4310354
wait shit really? that would be so fucking handy, do you not have to worry about copper leeching into the water over time?
>>
>>4310265
that tank, like a 40B, has 54" L+W
>males grow to an average of 43"
>females grow to an average of 45"
Aubret, F.; Bonnet, X.; Harris, M.; Maumelat, S. (2005). "Sex Differences in Body Size and Ectoparasite Load in the Ball Python, Python regius". Journal of Herpetology. 39 (2): 315–320
>>
>>4310354
>and pennies minted before 1982 are 95% copper.
Does this matter? New pennies are coated in copper right? Thats all thats going to be in contact with the eatere
>>
>>4311000
If there's a single deep scratch it'll be copper and zinc, you'll have some galvanic reactions going on.
>>
>>4310313
Ok anons, so I just ordered these two bulbs, its a 100W Ceramic infrared heater
And just a plain rgb bulb for lighting
https://www.amazon.com/LIFX-Color-800lm-Edison-Screw/dp/B08BL16M81 https://www.amazon.com/REPTIZOO-Reptile-Ceramic-Infrared-Terrarium/dp/B07CWNWC5T

Is this single ceramic enough for heating? Or should i pair the ceramic with a heating mat? I presume the ceramic acts as a basking?

Also do I need a thermostat for the light (i have one for a heating mat if needed).
>>
>>4311029
I imagine you could use the same thermostat with the probe on a surface under the lamp.

Dudes I just bought a 4x4 grow tent on Amazon for $65. 1680D, floor tray for substrate. Let's go
>>
>>4311005
Does that contaminate the water, or eat away the penny
>>
>>4311123
Itll corrode the coin, releasing the byproducts into the water. Probably not lethal, but I wouldnt want to drink it.
I've scored a post-1982 penny and stuck it in the water I give my snakes. I'll check up on it in a day or so and see what it does.
>>
>>4311398
Note by "the water I give my snakes" I meant a sample of that same water. Its not in their dish.
>>
>>4311398
Neat.
>>
>>4310892
metallic copper is pretty inert, doesn't leach into water. if u see it getting dirty thats likely from the water that your using, and can always clean it off withe some sandpaper or scotchbrite
>>
>>4311398
A little over 24 hours later and it's doing...SOMETHING. the shiny zinc is now dark, and there's a haze around the scoring. Gonna let it keep going.
>>
>>4307585
me neither but like how the fuck do you use that for a reptile?
>>
>>4312390
keep us updated bro
>>
How does pic rel work if you arent sticking if to the container? Or is it saying raised so you can stick it and it wont touch the table?

Also my reptile store said I can use it without a thermostat because they only max at around 85-90.
And I can pair with a 100W CHE, so it has basking and belly heat
>>
Any rgb lighting colors to avoid for the following?
Bsll python, jumping spiders, tomato frog, dart frog
I heard balls dont like red light? Not sure if true
>>
File: 1664368883303.jpg (54 KB, 300x300)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>4312619
forgot picrel
>>
>>4312620
pretty sure they just cant see it, dont reckon theres any color any animal actively hate, whole bull thing is a myth
>>
>>4312620
they see it just fine but don't seem to mind it in general. The myth is that you can use red light as a night light and it won't fuck up their circadian rhythm.
So no particular colors to avoid, but avoid bright lights at night in general. They see colored light just like we do.
>>
My ball python is starting to shed, unfortunately the sheed seems a little stuck. It's mainly peeling around her head. I see her scraping against her "wood hide".
I soaked her a little but she wasn't a fan, I misted her down. I'll try again tomorrow and put a lid on it so she can't get out.. if she's still having trouble.

I just want to be sure, what really concerns me is I notice her opening her mouth more. She's flicking her tongue a shitload today, wasn't last night. The peeling started today, she was peeling a little on her belly the past few days but only when you run your finger a certain way. Nothing visual.

My concern is with the open mouth. She doesn't look to be breathing with it open. But she is opening it here and there a bit more than usual.
I heard that this is how they attempt to get the skin off around their head? Is this true?

Also any reason for the massive lengthy sudden constant tongue flickering?
>>
>>4312940
I just threw a big bowl of water in her enclosure, and placed her in it and she seems a lot more relaxed. She's willingly chilling in it. Poking her head out of the bowl a little but a lot less fussy.
>>
Wut frog for a housemate for a exoterra large xtall that has a leopard gecko

either that or im going to breed an army of 'moo-rnigh' geckos and dump them in

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.