[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 58 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 20220727_020215-min.jpg (1.9 MB, 4608x3456)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>heckin cute chonker edition
This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
www.joshsfrogs.com
http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
http://www.anapsid.org
http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/
>>
>EMERGENCY
A/C broke. 85F nights

bp and leo tend to spend the nights in their 95F hides so whatever. turning off their heat pads though

beardie soaks up triple digits during the day but this is killing the night drop. she looked dark (stressed) this morning but maybe that was camo. seems fine basking

c'mon HVAC guy save me today
>>
>>4263349
previous thread >>4248049
>>
Why aren't you cryptic backing in a cork log, snakefriends? All the cool kids are doing it.
>>
>>4263518
This days funny has been achieved, thank you and goodnight
>>
File: setup.png (1.43 MB, 774x1024)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB PNG
r8 my set up
>>
File: olimar.png (1.05 MB, 532x958)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
only one that's got a pet in it the 25 gal, my pet rosy boa. There's two death feigning beetles in the tank with him, they do fine together and eat his skin when he sheds
>>
>>4263734
Nice!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOwsoj5q7g
>>
>>4263734
sick but I cant actually see what you've got. moar pls.
>>
>>4263784
based Arab bros
>>
>>4263397
FUCK guys seriously for tonight what is better, low 90s in the enclosure or 75 in a Tupperware? yes I poked air holes of course
>>
>>4263832
oh god the leo keeps scratching the Tupperware I can't do it

his warm hide is this toasty anyway
>>
>>4263874
The weather where these critters are from varies just like it does where you live. Sometimes it gets hotter than optimal care requirements would dictate. They'll be fine if its just for a few days.
In the meantime, evaporative cooling is your friend. Mist down the enclosures that can take the humidity spike, let it evaporate off, and make sure your critters have water on the cool end.
>>
>>4263784
>tfw uromastyx are commonly eaten there
>>
>>4263518
based and relaxed
>>
>it's a herp "influencer"'s new product line is just rebranded imported chinkshit episode
>>
>>4263882
thanks man. I think they're okay. 87F in here and when I sit under the fan I think
>wait, did the AC just start working?
leo is acting weird, moving things in his enclosure and resisting handling way more than usual

beardie her normal skittish self but extra dark in the morning which is worrying

bpdgaf he honestly might not have noticed. on top of the substrate his mid90s hot spot is probably high80s anyway

they're gonna make it

also bros, expo coming up. is it animal abuse to keep an AFT in a 10gal?
>>
>>4263734
what lives inside those? especially bottom right
>>
>>4264366
What
>>
>>4263734
Pretty good but should have drilled some holes in the back of the shelf for more aesthetic cable management
>>
>put beardie in pool/dish
>she acts like she just discovered drinking water
cool? it's not like she's never been in there, she left a poo in it yesterday. yes I cleaned it
>>
>>4264381
Assuming you're referring to an African Fat Tailed gecko, a 10 gal would work while its a baby/juvenile, it would be happier in a bigger enclosure once its an adult.

If you are looking for something to keep in a 10 gal permanently, there aren't that many commonly available reptiles that would be happy in a 10 gal forever. At an expo you might be able to find some smaller species of gecko or skink or like anoles for it, or a very small snake.
>>
File: 20220806_162719.jpg (1.2 MB, 1816x2873)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
I had no idea just how chunky Gaboon Vipers are. Their heads are as big as a softball
>>
>>4264520
amazin
>>
>>4264506
>very small snake
maybe a ring neck? could eat the same dubias I give my leo and baby beardie

btw damn. heat made em hungry. between the two of em they crushed 30 medium roaches in two days. $5/day! Might have to start that colony...
>>
File: 20220807_211549-min.jpg (1.14 MB, 4608x3456)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
out for a warm evening stroll
>>
>>4263734
>>4263737
I'll post some more, this is a closer look at that top tank, again just has the rosy boa and two beetles in it. Currently the only one I have stocked with animals, the other two are settling/waiting for the animals to get bigger
>>
>>4265171
Here's the 10 gal, built it like 2-3 weeks ago, still waiting for it to settle before I add the viper gecko I got. I've put springtails in here and am thinking of adding dwarf white isopods too to help clean up the gecko's poop and maybe act as occasional food. If anyone thinks thats a good/bad idea please lmk

Hoping the fern in the back and some moss I've planted in there takes off too
>>
File: moxie.png (1.81 MB, 1122x1076)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PNG
>>4265179
This is the viper gecko, he/she is doing very well and loves to eat at night
>>
Here's the last cage, and a personal favorite. Minecraft inspired mineshaft, with the plans to eventually house a Brazilian blue dwarf beauty tarantula. I have the spider but it's a sling and too small for this tank just yet.
I used cubic Pyrite crystals for the gold ore, some real lapis lazuli, and even some charcoal for coal ore. Honestly cannot wait for the spider to start webbing this thing up.
>>
>>4265195
another angle, hard to get a good shot of it but on that top level there are some rails I made out of toothpicks and soldered wire. The cart is real metal with the edges soldered together, and the blocks are 3 printed and painted
>>
>>4264381
mourning gecko, viper gecko, thick toed banded gecko, dwarf dune geckos... those are about the only vertebrates I can think of that would enjoy a 10 gal for life
>>
>>4265182
pretty!
>>
Has anyone in the states come across geoemyda spengleri? I haven't been able to find any for sale no matter how hard I look. Seems like all the canadians have them somehow. Pic unrelated, just my homie.
>>
>beardie eats $11 of roaches in a day
lmao no. I'm treating her because the A/C is out but nah. we're doing like 50¢/day for 5 large PetSmart crickets. maybe 10 for a dollar. also like a hornworm a month
>>
>>4265171
>>4265179
These are nice setups. Well done, anon.
>>
File: 32525ef.jpg (134 KB, 720x960)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>4265471
there were a few on sale on fauna classifieds last year going for $1000+. I really like these turtles too but haven't found any breeders to buy from
>>
File: 20220809_113037-min.jpg (1.69 MB, 4608x3456)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
minimalist but hard to beat $17 for a 10gal at WalMart. a smol AFT should do nicely
>bedroom maximalism
I could do two 10s on one table and a 20 long on my dresser. could conceivably tub the bp under the desk and put a star in the 40 (BTS?). that's 6, 7 with the tub

also closet shelves could fit more 10s with no light/no heat herps like ringneck snakes or Chinese cave geckos. could go as high as 10 animals
>>
I've got a 4x2x2 that I'm going to put a blue tongue or beardie in. I just dont have anything to put it on top of. Suggestions for an enclosure stand that isn't going to break the bank?
>>
>>4266330
>Suggestions for an enclosure stand that isn't going to break the bank?
Build one with some 2x4s
>>
>>4266217
I want to start breeding them to make them more accessible. I can never seem to find one yet every reptile youtuber has at least 50 of them and 100 friends who have one. Same with Amazon Fringed Leaf Frogs.
>>
>>4265546
I have bought the crickets. I have dusted them. I have tong fed them. I lost zero into the enclosures. WAGMI bros. Wew lad. I like to think of my dubia purchases as donations to based herp zoos. We're doing that rarely now. Crickets are king.
>>
File: 20220809_143748-min.jpg (1.97 MB, 4608x3456)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
cash money baby. stable 94F. room is 77
>>
did that german guy in the other thread ever end up posting pics?
>>
>>4266711
>did >>4263824 deliver?
I'm afraid not
>>
>>4266720
Fucker.
Bomber Harris, do it again.
>>
>AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
guys someone on Craigslist is apparently having trouble selling his female Tremper albino leo in a 20 long. considering putting her in the 10 (come on, females are smaller and she's not a giant morph), leaving the thiccboi where he is, and getting a Cali king for the 20long. I have a nice weak bulb that should keep the warm end 85F
>>
File: 20220809_234607_resized.jpg (379 KB, 1776x816)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>become obsessed with geckos
>find this in my house
bros
>>
>>4266703
Do not cohab leopard geckos. If/when they fight, it's bad. They fight to kill. Don't think you'll be there to stop it as it can happen any time even after years of peaceful living together. If you want another leo get a separate tank.
>>
>>4266743
Cute house gecko. Looks like a juvi still, not quite full grown yet.
>>
>>4266744
thanks, I won't
>>4266746
putting him in a Tupperware with air holes. looks like they need neither heat nor light, good at room temp with some humidity. I'll spray the paper towels right away
>>
File: 20220810_001030-min.jpg (843 KB, 3456x4608)
843 KB
843 KB JPG
he's fast! and he vocalizes!

can he do a 5gal?
>>
does anyone know of ANY place in europistan that sells caudates and actually has them in stock? Should I wait for next spring?
>>
>>4266743
>>4266757
How did you actually manage to catch this guy? I'm pretty sure I have an active breeding colony of them in my backyard and I see them all the time at different sizes but it's hard enough to even get a good picture of one, let alone actually capturing one
>>
>>4266807
For caudates you're probably best off regularly checking offers on terraristik.com from private breeders. There's all kinds of species offered from time to time. If you want to get them shipped then summer is a really bad time for it though.
>>
File: fuckinglizard.webm (313 KB, 360x620)
313 KB
313 KB WEBM
>green iguana finally decided to pull a thunderdome on me during breeding season after years of doing little more than shaking his head alot and dropping seminal plugs everywhere
>>
>>4267006
bro is that you? it just lunged at you?
>>
>>4266860
i used an old toothbrush to push him into the Tupperware. he was fast. I would just feed him pinhead crickets? he looks like a pretty big hassle, I might let him go or feed him to my leo
>>
>>4267123
If it is, he expected it. Not too many other reasons to have a camera just filming down the hall
>>
>>4267006
Clint Laidlaw says no one should get a green iguana. This is a guy who gives a Nile monitor a low rating, but says get one if you want
>>
>>4267127
Could also go with a flightless fruit fly colony.
>>
>>4267166
fruit flies! forgot Petco has those. hmm
>>
>>4267198
Don't buy fruit flies, just leave a tomato near it.
>>
>>4267214
I'm letting the lil guy go. He'll only escape. Gonna try to buy that leo on Craigslist
>someone giving away a 20 tall w/lid too
dammit man I can't stop. forget the bin. I can put the 40B--the most expensive but fuck it--on the floor under the desk. 2x20gal on top. 20L on the dresser. 2x10gal on the lil table. 7 herps. FUCK
>>
>>4266895
yeah that's what I figured, I'll probably wait for autumn. Better be patient and not run risks, but thanks for the website
>>
Technically a Herp Thread.
>>4267373
>>
>saw more womas at the Hamburg show Saturday
I’m torn, on the one hand I love seeing more of them around since it gives me more hope, on the other hand I had to violently resist the urge to buy a yearling female to add to my project because I have to buy a new transmission. Why couldn’t the universe let me have something nice for once? This couldn’t happen before my truck shit itself?
>>
File: video-1660052344.webm (365 KB, 368x656)
365 KB
365 KB WEBM
>>4267123
>>4267140
Yes, I set a camera up because for the past week hes been running after me like this in the morning and posturing but I was still able to pick him up freely and turn my back to him
now hes acting like a fucking miniature tree crocodile
>>
>>4267481
Just buy him a stuffed iguana to fight or fuck till he mellows out. Beats the other option of taping a fake dewlap to yourself and moving him with your size.
>>
>>4267144
Ive had mine for 9 years at this point and always told other people not to get one
and this is the first time hes tried to bite me but Ive always kept in mind what hes capable of and read his body language
>>
>>4267454
fuck off
>>
>>4267480
>Why couldn’t the universe let me have something nice for once? This couldn’t happen before my truck shit itself?
Damn that blows. How much were they going for
>>
>trying to grab small crickets with tongs for the first time
how the fuck do you guys do this? they're insane
>>
>>4267689
lol I used chopsticks the first few weeks. fucking weeb scum. the tongs are easy, especially the angled ones. approach from behind and grab a leg or pinch the back of the abdomen
>>4267485
>>4267481
holy shit. that guy has made a decision and it's
>fuck you
>>4267480
>woma pythons
gorgeous. saw babies at a shop recently the owner bought for $130. I'll be interested to see what they go for fattened up

guys I bought a KoЯn snake. yes he'll obviously need a bigger tank someday. 10's good for now though. I'm gonna build out one more 10 next week because that table fits two perfectly. then I'm done for the year. 5 small beginner herps. might get another baby colubrid. might get an AFT. not entirely opposed to another leo but it would have to be female and non-giant and I'd have to use the space very well, basically make it two story with the tops of the hides climbable
>>
>>4267721
>r $130
AAAAAAAAAA
>>
holy shit that pencil boi has <1" of substrate and he completely disappeared
>>4267738
hey black heads are the expensive ones
>>
>>4267721
cute snake, looks like my first corn
>>
>>4267780
didn't realize he was going to totally bury himself so quickly but the kawaii when you find his head poking out is worth it ^_^
>>
>glass installed
>hinges mounted
>doors hung, squeaky and a little reluctant to close all the way but I can tweak that
>holy shit, minus a few finishing touches the exterior is done
>lets pop the hood and and see how it looks
>I fucking hate it.
Hood is just entirely too big and too heavy (weighs noticeably more than the enclosure itself somehow) turns out I just accounted for WAY too much room for the lights. I could literally chop like nearly a quarter of the height off the bottom and still have sufficient space. Tomorrow I'm grabbing my rotary saw and circumcising the fucking thing.
>>
Anyone got some tips on scale rot? Discovered some on my bp yesterday, gonna go buy some betadine and give him a bath today. It should resolve after he sheds right?
>>
>>4266744
wait what? where did you get that information from
>>
>>4267808
How confident are you its scale rot? What are the tank conditions? Post a pic of it, that usually doesnt happen unless theyre in rather wet conditions for an extended period with no breaks.
>>
>>4267830
Ill post some pics when i get off work in the evening. Im pretty sure it is as all the signs i have read about match to the look of his belly scales (although vey mild atm) his substrate has not been soaking wet, although it was a bit more moist in his hides recently than any other place. I think the culprit is not frequent enough substrate changes and too much misting too keep humidity up. So most likely some bacterial buildup that caused it. Its not a burn or anything of that sort at least.
>>
>>4267633
About 500 which isnt too shocking, theyre a bitch to incubate and rare in the hobby, doubly so here since the herp game isn’t that strong in my region.
>>
>>4267786
King, I hope your rage has subsided. If the enclosure isn't gonna collapse, what's the big deal? Lights make heat, maybe the extra room is a good safety precaution
>>
>>4268204
Its an aesthetic thing more than anything else. The hood just feels overwhemlingly large to me, and the height choice of 10 inches was just chosen more or less randomly by me when I was building it, so I didnt really take my lighting config into consideration when I started and ended up with way, way more space than I actually need.
That said, taking a look at the similarly sized commercial enclosures on the market, the hoods are as large if not even larger, some being as tall as 12 inches for a 4 foot enclosure, so if I had bought one of those Id be in the same spot from a looks perspective.
That and I do NEED a hood, and lopping off an inch and a half from the bottom probbably wont fuck it up but it MIGHT. I think Ill hold off for now.
I cant exactly remember what I dreamt of last night but for a few seconds after I woke up I had completely forgotten about this fucking project, and the moment I remembered it felt like forgetting you lost your leg and dreaming you had two. I cant wait for this fucking albatross of a home improvement project to be off my fucking neck.
>>
>>4268331
it's gonna be okay bröther
>frens...right now they're in a 40 and a 20...what if...
juvenile bp --> 20gal
adult leo --> 10gal
[some fuckin BEAST] --> 40gal

one cannot do basic herps forever...
>>
>>4267786
Ah the joys of /diy/ enclosure building. Always niggles and issues and wait that didn't turn out as planned type problems. The good thing is you learn a ton from the first couple builds and future ones get much smoother after that. I think my most annoying unexpected issue was a plywood removable top on one build. It looks great in summer when humidity is stable around 50%. In winter when humidity drops to 30% or less because of the furnace, there is uneven humidity between interior and exterior of enclosure. This causes the plywood top to bow by almost 0.5" at the middle. In hindsight I should have made that top with a frame (look skirt boards on a table) to support the plywood sheet and prevent warping. I thought it would be fine as I sealed it but no.
>>
File: 20220810_202031-min.jpg (1.28 MB, 3456x4608)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
do you think this guy really eats fuzzies already? I believed the pet store gal at the time but now I suspect she was covering for their lack of pinkies. he's pencil thin. a Sharpie would def be fatter. supposedly he ate two days ago, I don't see a bulge, do they poop that fast?
>>
>>4268397
I think he looks about same size of not bigger when i started feeding my guy fuzzies, it should be fine. Fuzzies arent that big anyway.
>>
>>4268371
bros should I do it? the bp is the one who hasn't eaten in the month since I got him. his store enclosure was probably 10gal, eyeballing it. they say big enclosures can freak them out. he certainly liked the smol hide but I'm a little too selfish to have a pet takeout container in my biggest and most expensive enclosure
>>
>>4268646
>they say big enclosures can freak them out
Bullshit propagated by animal abusers.
Add more hides. Make sure temperatures are correct. Add tons of clutter and decorations so he doesn't feel exposed. If he is dangerously losing weight, try live.
>>
>>4268665
temp is gucci, 95F hot spot on the glass

you're right, I gotta leave my boi comfy. I know what makes him comfy. also I caught him cruising outside recently. I mustn't be so selfish
>>
>>4268646
>>4268665
>big enclosures can freak them out
I mean it's KINDA true for snakes and most reptiles in general, really, but not the way most people think.
big, EMPTY enclosures freak them out because in the wild they'd be exposed to predators. A big enclosure that's full of stuff for them to hide in or dig around on or climb in/on/under is fine.
Think of it like this. There's a plurality of snipers hiding out in your neighborhood. taking pot shots at any targets of opportunity they happen to come across, and you have 20/200 vision. Between your house and the shed where you keep your porn and snacks are two paths:
1) an empty stretch of well manicured grass
2) an obstacle course full of chest high walls, half/domes, big leafy bushes, and a short tunnel you dug when you were off your ass and bored one night after you just bought a really neat shovel
Which would you choose?
>>
>>4268706
balls need two hides, each with one entrance. I know this. I got greedy. I want to watch my boy. but he is not happy this way. even the half log is too exposed. that's going back to the beardie, she likes to climb on it and it matches. both hides are going to the noodle lad. I'm sorry boy. I'll still pull you out to handle every so often
>>
File: 20220811_184755-min.jpg (1.01 MB, 2640x1980)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
bros you haven't lived until you've felt a cold constrictor use your carotid to warm up
>>
>>4268770
>putting a constrictor around your neck
This is fine for a ball python that size but dear god do not do this for anything bigger
>>
>>4267480
Fug I missed Hamburg again because of money issues. That's good that they had womas this time, they're really cool snakes. I r want to start breeding my giant leaf tail gecko but I don't have a spare 500 bucks for a female so I feel your pain.
>>
>>4268775
not even a dwarf retic? it has smol right there in the name

all right guys she (probable female) now has two hides. the entrances face away from the front. the side-facing one is INSIDE the basket that has front and rear entrances. so the hide entrance does not face an entrance. two layers of security, friendos
>>
>>4268770
You look like you just came from getting the monkey pox vaccine.
>>
File: stop.png (6 KB, 727x76)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>4268782
>dwarf retic
Clint was a mistake. Never put a boa or python around your neck. At best it will hurt you and you will hurt it trying to pry it off and at worst it will kill you. More than a dozen people have died like this.
>>
>>4268794
I'm playin
>>4268793
gym lol but yeah I'm bearmode no homo women love it but it's slightly older women ngl
>>
>>4268782
>>4268794
Its also important to keep in mind that constrictors dont try to collapse your airway, like popular media seems to commonly depict. They use blood chokes, which are way easier to pull off with far less pressure and give you WAY less time to react before you're out. So its not like
>ack ack stuggle struggle pry off
Its
>uh oh I think he's going t- oh fuck FUCK F-
>>
do these guys unbury themselves and cruise around at night?
>>
>>4268397
I could believe he eats fuzzies
>>4268927
a friend has one and sees it out sometimes at night but not always
>>
File: 20220811_224431-min.jpg (1.62 MB, 4608x3456)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>4268972
that's a candidate for my other 10gal. KSB, rosy boa, African fat-tailed gecko
>>
File: chill time.jpg (1.44 MB, 4032x3024)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>4268991
>>
>>4268927
On occasion. If you commit to a sand boa you have to understand that you will not see it for extended periods of time. People buy them and sometimes return them in frustration because of this.
>>
>>4268927
sometimes, usually will see them slipping away after a poo, or going to their water dish for a bit of a soak or drink. Most of the time you have to play "find the eyes" with them, not best option if you are considering a snake if want one to watch and or handle.
>>
File: babygeck2.jpg (1.15 MB, 2710x3070)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>4267254
good call, med house geckos are adorable and do well as captives but very hard to contain and need bugs that are in the annoying to culture range (bigger than fruit flies, smaller than dubias)
Best just to enjoy their presence. They're technically invasive outside of Europe but only really do well in built up areas and don't really displace any natives while mostly eating other house-dwelling insects.
This lil baby's been hanging out in my house for a week or two, here i caught him as he was running across the floor at 2 AM. Released him by the back door, and he's welcome to stay indoors to stay out of the heat for as long as he can find food and water indoors. Can easily get out if he wants.
>>
File: IMG_20220812_125031.jpg (2.68 MB, 4000x1846)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
this is drew. say something nice to him.
>>
File: 1649915352330.png (2.62 MB, 1232x2496)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB PNG
My still nameless girl, I love her

>>4269212
He's very handsome
>>
>>4269212
gud toad
>>
>>4269212
Drew, you look the kind of guy who never turns down a meal or moves for any other reason
>>
File: 296367687.jpg (591 KB, 4000x1846)
591 KB
591 KB JPG
>>4269391
oddly enough they actually like moving around a lot
>>
>>4269414
well based!

guys do you need to clamp terrarium lids for cresties and gargoyles? or are only snakes that POWERFUL
>>
>>4269459
>guys do you need to clamp terrarium lids for cresties and gargoyles? or are only snakes that POWERFUL
The top needs to be secured in some way, as in not just resting there with nothing to hold it in place. They are not strong but they can push a screen top upward enough to wiggle through. Most vertical tanks like Exo Terra come with integrated clips.
>>
>>4269476
thanks
>room temp
>nocturnal
>smol
yeah...I could easily fill a closet with these. with a light cycle of course
>>
>>4269494
They are sensitive to heat so you must have a reliable air conditioner for summer. Cresties max out at 80 degrees, gargs can manage 85.
>>
>>4268991
I keep a rosy boa and can tell you they need more room than a 10 gal for sure. I kept mine in a 10 gal for maybe 1 month when I first got him as a baby, before upgrading to a 25 gal. Just a heads up, 10 gal will not be enough room for the rosy, or the kenyan
>>
>>4269510
>or the kenyan
not even a sub-2ft male? 20+10=30"=2.5'!
I def ruled out a female rosy
>>
>>4269510
good news, just scored a free 20 tall with a lid on Craigslist
>>
File: Perentie_&_Echidna.jpg (238 KB, 1024x871)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
night drop or 24/7 UTH for leos? their natural habitat suggests night drop. bros I don't know
>>
>>4269907
My HVAC is retarded and I cant trust it to keep a healthy temp so I have a 24/7 UTH on a thermostat that I manually adjust every 12 hours.
>>
>>4269907
>that pic
Perenties are so hardcore. They’re illegal in my state for whatever reason
>>
>>4269919
how much do you night drop it?

I sleep at 75. It's hot where I live but nights are 90 max so a broken AC won't kill the guy if I remove artificial heat

kind of an academic question anyway, my leo seems happy and I don't want to fuck with him
>>
>>4269933
they're gorgeous, do they exist in the pet trade at all? outside of down undah
>>
>>4269941
this is for garters so the temps will vary, but I have the probe on slate directly below the bulb. I do 95 in the morning, 85 at night. tank is large enough (40 gallon) so that i have ambient temps at 85-90 warm/ 75-80 cool during the day, and 80/70-75 at night.
>>
>>4269949
nice. my bedroom/herp room
>human
78 day 74 night
>baby corn
85/74
>juvi beardie
115/74
that's on top of a pretty tall hide. down in the shade, 100
>subadult bp (30", sex unknown)
95 warm hide 24/7
>adult leo, maybe subadult giant (9")
95 warm hide 24/7

picking up that *free* 20 tall off Craigslist shortly. smol herp recs? I'm planning to use a 60w non-UVB lamp to get it into the low 90s. but flexible, might save it for later, get a UTH, etc.
>>
>>4269907
Funny how things like croc and lace monitors can live with tortoises or water dragons despite having giant teeth while perenties do shit like this
>>4269943
They’re pretty uncommon even in australia, and there was a sub adult for 3k being sold last time I checked. There’s only a couple legal ones outside australia, any others have been smuggled out and are usually in shit care in Asia
>>
File: file.png (736 KB, 1280x720)
736 KB
736 KB PNG
>>4263349
>>4261014
>dont start with a bioactive,
What do you mean? Shouldn't I start by building a terrarium? I don't want fake shit.

>dont start with an arboreal snake, or one that requires feeders you dont have a source for.
I could get the feeders from undergroundreptiles. I know getting actual reptiles from them is not a good option because of said parasites and such, but feeders should be fine right? Unless, of course, they contain parasites which then will be transmitted to the snake.

>Your preference for green snakes is an issue, really.
Dammit. This video makes it seem pretty easy though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPrCcoeeX5c

>At the end of the day it all depends on what you're actually looking to get out of the experience.
I want to build an ecosystem. That is what I want. I have experience with red-eared sliders, something I got into as a hobby when I was a teen. I'm in my 30's now and want to do something like that again. Ideally, I'd like to create a vivarium that is its own ecosystem. I don't expect to take the snake out of its enclosure to hang out with much, although that would be cool.

---

I really appreciate your post detailing the differences in types of snakes. Thank you so much, it has been very informative.

What should I do first? My plan was to get an enclosure, substrate, plants, and start the terrarium aspect. I have experience with plants, so I feel like I could get this done pretty soon. I found out the potting soil I use has perlite in it though, so I'll need to find something else.

--

>>4263734
very nice. more enclosure pics! that really helps me visualize what I want and how to go about setting it up.
>>
so glad I got this lil king

new tank is actually a 15! 20 footprint just shorter. what oh what to put in it...
>>
File: 20220812_214636-min.jpg (1.84 MB, 4608x3456)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
cheeky fucker!
>>
Why do I have no problem with superworms or crickets but dubias creep me out?
I want to get an ackie in the future but this is serious obstacle.
>>
>>4270130
that's weird. dubias are the least icky of those three. I mean ffs crickets smell bad, make noise, and escape. the icky thing about dubias is the cost IMHO

t. bought 80 large crickets for $0.09 each today. no problemo
>>
>>4270132
Yeah crickets are awful and I wouldn't want keep them but dubias are just kind creepy.
Not sure if it's the stigma of them being dirty roaches or the fact I've catched plenty of crickets/grasshoppers/worms as a kid but never a roach.
>>
>>4270132
the cost of dubias is easily countered by them being the lowest effort and grossness to breed. So you only have to buy them once
>>
>>4270051
If you've got experience with plants that's a different story in terms of the bioactive part.
Normally a beginner snake keeper would want to focus on getting the husbandry aspect of the animal on point before worrying about anything else, and maintaining a stable ecosystem while ALSO learning how to properly care for your snake adds a layer of complexity you dont necessarily need, but some background with plants would actually help alleviate that complexity.
I'd still recommend deciding on the species first, then designing and building the enclosure, because the environmental needs of the animal you pick is going to decide the environment, and thus the plants.
rough green snakes are cool (if timid and delicate) and sourcing food for them is going to be A LOT easier and cheaper than most other snakes, but you're gonna be seriously hard pressed to find one that's not wild caught, which has just a host of potential problems you wont want to deal with. If you can find a breeder and dont mind a snake you're mostly just going to be looking at (or FOR, they're pretty hidey too) go for it.
>>
>>4270115
Get him some stuff to climb around on, colubrids are generally pretty active critters.
He'll still hang out up there, of course, but he'll have an easier time getting around when he does it.
Sometimes my girls try to crawl around on the screen roof. Upside-down on the screen, I mean.
>>
>>4270115
kept my baby rosy in one of those, eventually it got some scale damage from rubbing against that metal mesh. lucky it healed during shedding
>>
>>4270143
Do any species of snake coexist? If i choose a breeder, I suspect that it will take some time before I get one. I live in NYC so I don't think we have many breeders here. In the meantime, I can start everything else right away.

Any good guides you recommend? There's plenty online and on youtube, but what would be your recommendation?

Starting with enclosure. I'd need one that opens horizontally, and am considering pvc units with internal sensors and bulb sockets.

I'd like to place it on my dresser. That's 35"L, 17" wide, but I have a lot of vertical space so that's why I was thinking about getting an arboreal snake.

Thank you for the continued advice and wisdom!
>>
>>4270161
garters
>>
>>4270161
>>4270162 is right, garters are the best bet
Aside from garters and dione's rat snakes, cohabitable snakes are either gonna need a lot more space (as in, 2 snakes = more than double the space you'd want for 1) or are more specialist care and hard to find captive bred (think things like dekay's brown snakes, ringnecks and smooth/rough green snakes)
both garters and dione's rat snakes will fit 2 in the space you've got and make use of vertical space, especially the rats.
>>
Looking to buy a pixie frog but everywhere reputable seems to be out. Can anyone here point in the the right direction?
>>
>>4268775
I agree, I don't think that people understand that when the carotids are blocked, you pass out really quick.
>But it is just an adult female ballpython...
Yeah, until he squeezes and you drop.
>>
>>4270450
A ball isn't going to try and constrict an adult.
>>
>>4270456
Mine holds on tightly when I had her around my neck, up to a point where I started to go a it lightheaded. So, it probably depends per individual.
>>
File: 20220813_025329-min.jpg (1.91 MB, 4608x3456)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>4270152
corn snek get down! you are more fossorial than arboreal, this is absurd!
>>
>>4270464
>taken on an actual potato
>>
>>4270464
not really true, Pantherophis are basically arboreal snakes that aren't so specialized that they can't do fine on the ground
>>
>>4270477
very happy with my herping decisions lately. that pencil boy is so smart and fast and pretty and he is going to grow into something magnificent

leo loves his 15gal. same floor space as before but really much more because he can get on top of his hides now. caulking tiles to the boxes was a good idea. 60W lamp gets the tile to 95F in less than an hour, probably gets a touch warmer after a whole day. he'll have a better day/night cycle now with cool nights
>>
>>4270501
Looks good Anon, as a suggestion, add some fake foliage and thick branches. Mine likes to sit on a branch and chill. Also, sorry to be that guy, but try to get him to lose some weight. He looks pretty chunky.
>>
File: 20220813_022012-min.jpg (1.15 MB, 4608x3456)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>4270522
I've heard that twice, was it you both times? Anyway I believe you. I've been feeding him too often, almost daily. And he's been a hungry boy. I think the 24/7 UTH was part of it. I'll feed him 2x/week or maybe MWF. We're going to have a very healthy lifestyle with the night drops. Maybe I'll give him a bridge between the tiles
>>
File: 20220813_022459-min.jpg (1.89 MB, 4608x3456)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
I def think this guy prefers the tighter space
>>4270473
hey, it's high res! flash looks like shit though
>>4270152
beautiful! I wrote off garter snakes because they were some of the first animals I recognized IRL as a child (New England). So they don't exactly strike me as exotic. But they are pretty and you can keep a group...they are strong candidates for my herp acquisition finale. I now have an empty 40gal. Yes I am happy to be on the hook for bigger enclosures later. Possibilities
>BCI
>Antaresia
>Pituophis
^front runner
>false water cobra
and the real desire of my heart...cheap to get started...
>baby savannah monitor
when he needs a big boy enclosure I can promote the corn, the bp, or both to a bigger tank
>>
>>4270630
don't overlook Elaphe and other Asian colubrids
Russian, Korean, Japanese, Dione's, Mandarin, bamboo and beauty rat snakes are all great options in that category, with sizes ranging from hogger-size to pituophis-size.
>>
File: cyborg snek.webm (2.88 MB, 960x540)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB WEBM
>>
>>4270640
hoggers are cute but expensive and I want to use this space, gimme a big boi

thanks for the recs. so many colubrids, how could I ever choose? I know the Sav is a handful but it's been my dream lizard from day 1

also could get a pair of Schneider's skinks

when you have a 40 breeder with a locking top, a heavy water bowl, a heat pad, and a spare outlet for possible UVB, the world is full of possibilities!

I could attempt a chameleon
>nooooo you need screen, not a heckin glass tank with a screen top
come on tons of people have em in tanks. ~85 with UVB during the day. night drop to room temp. they're not gonna drink from the water bowl but I could put it on the heat pad to aid with humidity. not gonna be on the floor but deep and well-sprayed coco coir again will help with humidity. lots of climbing branches, fake plants, tong feed bugs or put some in a dish suction cupped to the side. dripper for water. doable!
>>
>>4270674
>we thought this snake would never walk again
>thank you Elon Musk!
>>
>>4270576
That was not me, I think. I feed mine two to three times a week, around two crickets per time depending on if he comes back after the first cricket. Sometimes he gets a third if he really is adamant and runs to me again. I run an overhead heat projector that shuts off during the night, thus dropping the temperature to room temperature. With this setup the weight remains stable and I do not see any increase in weight.
The reason why I mention weight is that animals are overfed a lot. I work with animals and it is definitely impacting their health and lifespan. Oh yeah, I also give mine exercise. He comes out of the tank a lot and runs around on the couch or table. You could also try that.
>>
>>4270674
>a weapon to surpass metal gear
>>
File: file.png (326 KB, 1601x1601)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>4270162
>>4270170
>>4270161
>>4270143
>>4270051
what type of enclosure should i get?
>>
>>4270170
>>4270162
>>4270161
Thirding garters, its actually recommended you get a small group because they do better with company.
Active, curious, social, come in a wild variety of colors (not just morph/coloration experiments either, tons of different localities just exist naturally). They climb, dig, crawl, and swim pretty much everywhere they can.
Pic related are two of my three girls being cuddle buddies during their afternoon nap.
>>
>>4270712
A 40 gallon matches your dresser size dimensionally, but if you're going with garters you might want to lookninto scaling up at some point. If you get males they'll be considerably smaller adults, but they WILL end up trying to fuck each other. And themselves. Theyre pretty indiscriminately horny in the spring.
Get something with a deep substrate tray, pvc is fine but you'll want to run a bead of silicone around the edges to waterproof.

Oh yeah, garters are also endemic to north america and thrive anywhere that isnt desert, so if you want to model their natural environment, you only have to look outside. They dont even need mice as feeders, but if you decide to do mice (which some do) they dont get any larger than pinkies. I personally do tilapia filets, chicken heart, and silversides, cut up to about an inch long by a quarter inch thick.
>>
File: 302.jpg (70 KB, 640x640)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>4270703
I let him out often but I think it stresses him. he is clearly smart though. he pokes his head out when he wants food and withdraws into his hide when he's full
>two crickets, maybe a third
>2-3x/week
yyeeaahh I was feeding like five (big) crickets every other day. at least. but hey, I like saving money. crickets are cheap but I'll feed fewer

or vastly more because I think I want a baby sav. I know it's serious business but I'm ready
>colubrid
no, I have one. my little corn is a king
>constrictor
no, I have one. my little ball is a king
>agamid (uromastyx)
no, I have one. my little beardie is a king
>gecko
no, I have one. my little leo is a king

only a varanid will satisfy
>>
>>4270630
What an awful enclosure. Get proper setups for your current pets before you get a new one.
>>
File: 20220813_174639-min.jpg (1.64 MB, 3456x4608)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>4270879
Son, you *identify* as a woman. I *really am* the owner of a Bosc's monitor. We are not the same.
>>
File: 20220813_210652-min.jpg (1.18 MB, 4608x3456)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
>he bask
>he Bosc
>>
>>4265199
>>4265195
underrated
>>4263737
gorgeous and very cool about the beetles
>>
>>4271086
OK cool your enclosure is still shit
>>
>my "18x18'' table" from amazon is really a 17.6''x17.6'' table
something I need to worry about for an 18x18'' enclosure? I've had overhang on rimmed aquariums before and it's never been an issue. Weight on a reptile enclosure should be a lot less than a water filled tank though, right?
>>
>>4271417
would a tree make you happy, Ms. Totally Not a PetSmart Viral Marketer? some suction cup vines perhaps?

Mercury vapor bulb sounded nice but it's way too cold. Need to get a manly ass basking bulb and do UVB separately. However
>monitors don't really need it
>gonna put d3 on all his food
>yeah they're diurnal but not like a beardie and you know it
>>
>>4271660
the weight's fine but the enclosure will probably be a little wider than 18
>>
>>4271725
Why do you think improvement means shilling for pet stores
>>
>>4271213
Thank you! Glad someone else appreciates the mineshaft, I'll definitely post again when its all webbed up
>>
File: 20220814_195120-min.jpg (1.35 MB, 4608x3456)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB JPG
>>4272277
I'm just joshin ya. Is this better? I'll up my fake plant game but
>wrestler "tree" very climbable
>branch now partially up in the air
bps are strong but the way it's wedged with one end on the hide I don't think it will fall. Trophy is caulked to wood plank

Guys my beardie was acting weird today and I think it's because the new baby sav scares him shitless from across the room
>>
File: 20220814_200339-min.jpg (1.31 MB, 4608x3456)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
r8 my baby savannah monitor enclosure
>40B
>125F basking spot
>10-12 quarts coco coir
>UTH unplugged
save it for the next inhabitant. not appropriate for this one
>OK I'll get UVB
already have the bulb, gotta spring for another lamp. shit adds up! but he's a diurnal basker growing fast. tell me I need it for an adult corn snake, frig off. but a baby sav...yeah, I'll do it
>>
>>4269032
awesome, species?
>>
>>4272325
You know a savannah monitor is completely inappropriate for a beginner right? They are genuinely from what i have seen a pretty challenging herp (like most monitors) do you know what you are getting into, if not then dont.
>>
>>4272325
>savannah monitor
>that enclosure

You're an idiot.
>>
File: 20220814_163838-min.jpg (1.22 MB, 4608x3456)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>4272414
>do you know what you are getting into
yeah, though the learning process never ends. I've done a lot of research; this was the species my heart was set on even before I bought beginner herps. he'll go to a 4x2x2 next year and likely an outdoor enclosure when he's full size. it's hot where I live. 99% sure I got a male so he'll be very big
>>4272419
easy bud he's like 6" long. he's getting outeaten and outpooped by a leopard gecko

here he is monitoring the situation from his hot spot
>>
>>4272449
Im sorry but this cant end up going well, you barely know how to care for your beginner animals and they are already in bare minimum enclosures if not under what i would consider bare minimum. Im also not a big fan of shitting on peoples decision's and the way they do things in this hobby but holly hell, use your brain.
>>
>>4272325
>>4272449
I’m surprised people even still buy savannah monitors in the first place. Maintaining an appropriate amount of insect feeders for a large lizard is a pain in the ass, or you end up feeding it rodents and it dies early
>>
File: _DSC5362-2.jpg (882 KB, 3000x2112)
882 KB
882 KB JPG
>>4272348
BCI
>>
>>4272496
>>4272449
I tend to agree with this anon on two things: the first being that owning a savannah monitor is generally a bad idea for anyone, and the second being that I also don't want to shit on your decision making.
You might be surprised to find how fast that little guy outgrows that baby tank, I'd get started on that outdoor enclosure sooner rather than later. Also what the other anon said about bare minimum enclosures is true. Rather than securing all these different herps, focus on leveling up keeping skills! Some of these tanks you've posted are bare-bones type of set ups, and could easily be improved. The goal is to be as far away from racknigger type set ups as possible.

speaking of rackniggers has anyone heard of supreme gecko? Dude's got some good advice but his set ups are hard to watch ngl.
>>
Im an /aq/ anon visiting /herp/ out of curiosity - got one question to you:
Why do you have so few plants in your habitats and all of them are fake?
Thats a major haram on /aq/
>>
>>4272822
Bioactive typically isn't something encouraged for beginners. Boa anon has pretty dope enclosures.
>>
>>4272823
Is it this one? >>4270152
>>
>>4272825
No thats garter anon. Dont think boa anon has posted any setups ITT yet. If he's still around, maybe he'll throw up some pics
>>
>>4272325
Judging on your other enclosures you're low empathy as fuck but enjoy watching that thing die over the next year.
>>
>>4272822
Its more of a dartfrog/various smaller herp thing to have planted vivs as they pose a challenge when the inhabitant is over a certain size, they will bulldoze the shit out of all the plants and kill them. It is very possible to have success with it but it takes a lot of planning and trial and error. Also what i have noticed is the herp community is kind of split between people just interested in the animal and people who enjoy the creation of a natural habitat for their animal. I assume the aquarium scene is leaning more towards the habitat creation side of things as you cant really handle fish compered to a snake of lizard.
>>
>>4272822
It’s hard to select plants that won’t die in the conditions of many of these enclosures. It’s like trying to keep live plants with goldfish, best case scenario.
>>
>>4272822
>>4270152 here - branching off of what others have said, depending on your animal, it might be difficult if not downright impossible to plant a reptile enclsoure. For fish its a great deal easier, but even a lot of traditionally non-fossorial species like to burrow, and can uproot or even toss around decor just for the fun of it. There's also just the physics involved in a terrarium versus and aquarium - if a fish swims past your nice, delicately branched aquatic plant it'll just waver in the current. If a snake decides to lay its lanky ass onto a plant that cant hold it, the plant will give.
When I started my bioactive enclosure, for example, I had pothos in some spots alongside a peperomia, but the peperomia got obliterated by snake traffic. One of them even took a dump right on the plant. The pothos are thriving, though (which isnt surprising since theyre pretty much bombproof anyway), and when I swap enclosures I was thinking of putting some grasses in, or maybe a little clover.
>>
>>4272520
93/7 ground turkey dusted with reptile vitamins. or chicken hearts & gizzards. crickets are cheap as balls. OCCASIONALLY a mouse your snake refuses, or a hard boiled egg. limit fat!
>>4272496
>>4272796
>>4272838
the mtf ladies doth protest too much, methinks. I've got hot spots dialed in at 85, 95, 115, and 125. took some tweaking but these herps deserve the best. I tsk tsk the store enclosures every time I go. my guys have proper space, heat, humidity, lighting, hides, substrate, and climbing opportunities. literally no measurable variable is the least bit wrong. but r/4chan thinks the reptiles are sad because they don't have Funko Pops and Warhammer 40k figurines

I'll keep learning and listening for a lifetime of herping, and I absolutely recognize that I bring cis privilege to the discussion, but y'all are being too harsh.

Don't worry, I won't get more at least until enclosure size upgrades next year.

Suggestions for enclosure additions will be considered but
>lol idiot
>he's gonna die
will get you nothing but a downvote, and if you persist, a block!
>>
>>4273071
Tale old as time, the newbie thinks hes got it figured out and everyone else is le hater sissy. Your animals aren't robots and a shitty strawman wont change that. Why even get into the hobby if you cant give two shits about your animals?
>>
>>4273090
given the number of reddit references in his post I imagine he got into for "upvotes". Sad to see but like >>4272838 said, this problem is likely going to fix itself.
>>
>>4273071
>proper space
Your bp is in a way too small enclosure and your Sav enclosure will be too small in months. It honestly already is too small.
>humidity
No you dont
>substrate
You have barely any substrate fit your bp and coco for your leo
>lighting
You literally admitted your Sav doesn't have uv
>I'm willing to learn
>everyone honest with me is a tranny!
No one is being harsh. You know nothing and have clearly shown you're an impulsive low empathy retard. Your Sav will die. Seethe, cope, and dilate.
>>
File: 1660068891965435.png (523 KB, 2063x1299)
523 KB
523 KB PNG
@4273090
>no substance, just dilation
@4273092
>no substance, just dilation
>>4273114
nice, a real post
>bp enclosure too small
for an adult absolutely. this is a juvenile. she's well shorter than L+W. has an inch or two of coco above her 95F hot spot, should I make her dig for it? never heard that
>coco bad for leos
doubt dot jpg, see it on herptube all the time. but I can go organic topsoil or something come replacement time
>Sav without UV
1. Like leos and BTS, dietary d3 is fine
2. He closes his eyes under strong UVB
3. His basking light cranks the UVA
4. I need to acclimate the little savage to handling anyway so there will probably be basking box sessions
>40B too small for a 6" lizard
my brother in Christ this is madness
>>
>>4270051
Contrary to what some might have suggested, I would advise starting with bioactive. What I like to do, which I did when setting these up >>4263734, is get an enclosure for whatever space in your house you're trying to fill. When you have the tank, set it up how you're envisioning it. Sometimes I've made rough sketches on paper, to try and plan out where you want what.
For example, I had the 10 gallon tank and decided I didn't like the scape that was in there. At the time it was just housing isopods as a feeder colony. Once I cleaned it out, I went for a hike(I live in CO) and got some stones, branches, bark, dead leaves ect. After sterilizing all those items in the oven at 300 for 3 hours, combined with some substrate and plants I picked up from the local pet store, I set up the scape you can see here >>4265179. Its been 3.5 weeks since its been set up, just getting the plants and springtails in there acclimated to the watering cycle(I'll water the cage Wednesday and Sunday mornings). At the end of this week I'll be adding the viper gecko, the main resident of the tank.
My point with all this is that setting up a tank you want, as long as you have a rough idea of what kind of set up(arid, temperate, humid forest, etc) is a good way to go. You'll have time to make mistakes, learn ways to fix them, and how to dial everything in for the animal you want. If you can maintain an environment, adding the animal in later(whether its a month or several months later) isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>>4273176
Tbh getting the bioactive stuff set and the plants established also gives you time to make sure your enclosure parameters are set and stable. That said, naturalistic-styled but non-bioactive substrate DOES force you to interact with your animal far more, which you need when youre starting out.
>>
>>4268770
hey babe just minted a brand new troonjak, just 4 u :). how do u like it?
>>
File: 20220815_145138-min.jpg (973 KB, 4608x3456)
973 KB
973 KB JPG
>>4273321
lmao XD
have a shady boi
>>
>>4273071
>but r/4chan thinks the reptiles are sad because they don't have Funko Pops and Warhammer 40k figurines

Nigga your setups show me that you treat your reptiles as if they were funko pop figurines. If you're really dead set on learning proper husbandry for your animals you'd probably want to listen to the anons telling you how to fix your shit instead of lashing out assuming everyone who disagrees with you is a degenerate transvestite.
Based solely on your ball python enclosure I can tell you're full of shit. That coco husk is drier than the aspen in my baby kingsnake's enclosure. It has zero depth to burrow into to find a humid microclimate, no sizeable water dish to soak in, and nothing to climb on, as ball pythons have semi arboreal tendencies and are seen in the wild climbing trees. No one's asking you to be serpa design with your enclosures but holy shit at least give your animals some basic enrichment.
>>
File: 20220815_184532-min.jpg (1.58 MB, 3456x4608)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>4273374
>the anons telling you how to fix your shit
are my frens!! the troons didn't help with anything
>bp enclosure
okay, we've got
>2 hides
>a branch
now up in the air!
>a very climbable wrestler dude caulked down, will not fall
>a body sized bowl
>a fresh spray 4 u
never heard of deep substrate for balls. I confess to keeping it shallow because I use a heat pad. my rationale was that these guys find shelter more than make them (termite mounds) so a warm hide in a humid enclosure was good. I can do another coco block tho, baby corn could use some too

I want to maintain that little corridor around the hide but I do want more climbability. maybe a beardie hammock in the open corner
>>
>>4273071
>93/7 ground turkey dusted with reptile vitamins. or chicken hearts & gizzards
>OCCASIONALLY a mouse your snake refuses, or a hard boiled egg
None of those are an appropriate staple. You would be far better off using canned snails
>crickets are cheap as balls
They’re also tiny so you need a huge amount to feed an adult seeing as they should take priority over ground turkey or whatever. Savs are insectivores, their diet should be like a giant equivalent to that of an ackie or tree monitor. You would be better off starting a huge colony of hissing roaches right now
>>
>>4272822
Outside of small herps like geckos, frogs, etc they tend to destroy plants. Large constrictors crush plants a lot and large monitors are especially destructive
>>
File: eca.jpg (87 KB, 800x450)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>Chandler's $10,000 king cobra enclosure is done
>featureless box with substrate on the floor and a mural on the smallest wall
>>
>>4273479
seriously, if this were like one third the size I'd think it was animal hoarder anon's king cobra.
>>
>>4273479
He said in the video he was going to add branches and plants once he got the proper plant lighting. That said, he blew his load throwing the king cobra in their before he had it fully set up. It was a bit of a let down.
>>
>>4273487
Yea, I believe he'll improve it, he got overly excited, understandably so. Would be cool to get serpa in there and let him work with a whole room
>>
>>4273487
I almost feel like he got taken for a ride. 10k for some PVC sheets, framing, a polycarb window and 2 doors? Shit, the inner door isnt even offset from the floor and opens inwards, its going to sweep a semicircle of substrate off the floor every time he opens it.
>>
>>4273495
Yeah that would be really cool to see. I get he was excited, I would be too if I had an entire room dedicated to a favorite animal to work with.

>>4273499
I don't really know the material costs so I can't comment but I think some aspects were poorly executed, especially the doors and the situation with the electrical, and the water. Why would you have all of your electrical on top of the enclosure instead of somewhere accessible? Also having the breeder tub as the water dish with no drainage whatsoever just seems like more and harder work, especially with the currently bunk leg. Just seems poorly planned for the long term as a build in my opinion. It is fucking cool though overall.
>>
>>4273460
what's wrong with vitamin-dusted lean bird? it's gotta match the macros of ze bugs
>insectivore
I wonder about this. I know people were feeding them mice and giving them fatty liver disease and now the consensus is 80-90% bugs

I'm nursing a pet theory though and that is: scavenging. a beardie or a leo just om noms his bugs. after the strike it's chew and eat. after I tong feed the sav he twists and shakes his head in a way that seems really unnecessary for a cricket

source: I saw a thing and had a thought
>>
>>4273508
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0inw7epdNNc
>eats inverts in the wild
>SOFT BODIED inverts specifically, mostly snails
the thrashing might be to tear off chunks of giant snail, or seperate bits of crushed shell off of the flesh.
it's been said (to you) multiple times already, but START A DUBIA COLONY. dont go to a big box and shell out shitloads of money for your bugs, buy a bunch online (like at dubia.com for example) and you'll have a bug vending machine that takes oats and vegetable scraps and gives you free reptile food.
>>
>>4273521
>START A DUBIA COLONY
I'm fuckin doin it. It's a new pet!
>>
>>4273508
>I'm nursing a pet theory though and that is: scavenging
They don’t scavenge much at all. There’s studies on their wild diets and it doesn’t really involve much vertebrate prey from scavenging or hunting. Only lace monitors and Komodo dragons get a really large portion of their food from scavenging
>>
>>4273532
>ripping apart giant snails
>>4273521
>studies have shown
yeah I guess it's not that mysterious, just look in their bellies

thanks dudes

in the long run dubias will be cheapest anyway ^_^
>>
>>4265195
Nice Anom
>>
I just like skinks, anons. They make me laugh every time I see one.
>>
File: 630.png (190 KB, 408x423)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>4273486
>Hey guys check out my brand new enclosure
>>
>>4273479
>>4273486
I’d get it if he were trying to make it as safe as possible for a walk in enclosure so he doesn’t trip if he’s gotta get out quick, but he could also have just made a normally furnished enclosure that’s not a walk in
>>
>>4273663
>that’s not a walk in
Thats not as cool
>>
>>4273663
>>4273865
Yeah, his expressed purpose of the enclosure is to go in and get envenomated in front of the people on his tour once he's completely set up.
I mean go in and handle/show Kevin to his tour without endangering anyone (but himself)
>>
File: 20220815_235051-min.jpg (1.51 MB, 3456x4608)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
corn snake eats like a corn snake. that was fast
>>
>is pure evil in your path
>>
>>4274299
>excuse me sir, can I interest you in putting all of your insects in my face?
>>
https://youtu.be/K-RqJ0AUAk8
>rackfaggotry causes brainrot
>>
>>4275021
I genuinely thought you mean in the keepers lel
>>
>>4275024
They already have brainrot
>>
I live in a very dry part of America, Vegas specifically, and I'm looking for a species of snake that is easy to keep for my low humidity area. I'm willing to humidify their tanks but I don't want a species where I'll have to humidify their tanks so much that my room gets very humid. I'm thinking of a Kenyan Sand Boa? Thoughts? Or should I just go with an easy Corn snake?
>>
>>4275225
corn > KSB, they're very active, great eaters, bigger but less bitey/musky than kingsnakes which are already great pets. corn snakes RULE, don't think easy = boring

keep it in a glass tank and spray the substrate and you'll be fine. it will not affect your room humidity
>>
>>4275225
If you get/build an enclosure with a solid top, you'd be able to keep it much more humid than your room.
>>
>>4275225
I dont think I can recommend a sand boa (cute version or retarded sock puppet version) to really anyone unless they happen to be specifically passionate about that species. They're cool snakes, no doubt about that, but keeping them is closer to caring for a box of sand and a rock that you occasionally feed mice than it is having a snake.
That said, California kingsnakes are GREAT pets (if a little enhusiastic at feeding time), and Nevada is part of its natural range, so they might be worth looking into.
>>
>>4275269
>California kingsnakes
how smol are these guys? fully grown a corn is significantly bigger, right?
>>
>>4275021
But keeping feeder rodents in them is fine.
>>
>>4275225
Rosy boa?
>>
File: fs2.jpg (83 KB, 960x960)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Thoughts on a fire skink as my first ever reptile? This lad is being sold near me and I've absolutely fallen in love with him
>>
>>4267006
anon this is internet gold
>>
>>4275384
>on a fire skink as my first ever reptile
fantastic choice
>>
File: fs3.jpg (101 KB, 622x622)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>4275398
I'm glad to hear that. My local zoo has skinks and I'm always enamoured with them. I already have a space where an enclosure could go and I'm gonna start researching what he needs
>>
>>4275409
>gorgeous
>cheap
>easy
fire skinks are very, very based
>>
>>4275273
Max size is about 6 feet. Typically corns are smaller, but not by much.
You want a nice big enclosure for either snake, though. Active bois. A secure one at that, they enjoy trying to break out of stuff.
>>
File: myson.jpg (394 KB, 2992x1688)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
I CANNOT FATHOM A CUTER SERPENT
>>
>>4275474
when you can, if you could try to determine how he feels about buns, there's a significant portion of the world that would benefit from that information.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.