[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 90 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

File: 1626844110184.jpg (1.28 MB, 3024x4032)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
strictly platonic edition
>>
previous bread
https://desuarchive.org/an/thread/4256573/
>>
File: what.jpg (1.65 MB, 2355x3580)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
i don't want to participate when the threads are this autistic
>>
File: 2004836721931.jpg (1.69 MB, 1984x1461)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>
File: 1602113290077.jpg (44 KB, 612x612)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>4257465
Now that's a cool dog right there
>>
>>4257656
Labs are so cute!
>>
Do things like alcohol and caffeine affect dogs the same way as people? I was just thinking about it since I read a story about someone poisoning dogs with some otc pain killer, and I'd hate for my dog to get hurt by drinking one of my drinks while I am not aware.
>>
>>4257748
>otc pain killer

keep you place clean and lock all your meds up? same goes for chocolate, grapes and raisins and diet foods that have Xylitol. chewing gum also has it, it's deadly.
>>
>>
>>4257813
>>
What makes a good dog walker?
>>
>>4257813
the cat: evil - the dog: concerned about evil/10

>>4257655
mogged/10

>>4257614
merled/10

>>4257465
best in thread/10
>>
can i put chanel 5 on my dog?
like on the shoulders likenflea med.so he cant eat it
>>
File: somebullshit.png (53 KB, 1165x313)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
continuation of the thrilling saga:

>leave voicemail with breeder #4
no response
>email breeder #5
no response
>leave voicemail with breeder #5
no response

that's it, I must be on a blacklist. breeder #1 didn't like the cut of my jib and posted an APB with my name on it to whatever email ring or hokey-ass listserv they must all subscribe to. I accept my fate of eternal doglessness with a heavy heart.
>>
>>4257858
Have you tried talking to one in a next door state? Or good Backyard breeders who don't use the AKC?
>>
>>4257861
two of the ones I tried so far were from neighboring states. also a quick scan of craigslist nationally shows exactly 0 (zero) of this breed being advertised for sale. I'm not sure there are any bybs for this breed, much less good bybs. And no I'm not saying what the breed is because some schizophrenic catfag will probably trawl the akc breeder registry for email addresses and start spamming them with dog cocks just to make my life even more difficult.
>>
>>4257865
You can find backyard breeders on FB groups. It'd make it a lot easier if you weren't being paranoid about sharing the breed.
>>
I pity the dogs that have to live with you "people"
>>
File: Pascal.png (3.66 MB, 1440x1440)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB PNG
>>4257881
This mutt seems pretty happy about going on hikes, camping, and running around with me. I pity the anon who cannot experience such joys.
>>
File: 1603984248643.jpg (70 KB, 720x960)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>4257881
i pity the jannies that have to moderate this board
>>
>>4257858
use craigslist, you will be surprised as fuck when you will find out that 3000$ can be 50$ or even for free. and dog will be unneutered, too, with comparison to breeders who not only use moralshit rules, but also give them for you as neutered and useless.
>>
>>4257858
how much of a creep do you have to be to creep breeders out?
>>
>>4258108
I mean some dogs have disproportionally large heads or disproportionally short legs. Why not a dog with disproportionally large genitals? This way you can have a dog smaller than the ones you mentioned but still compatible with humans.
>>
File: 20220713_162105 (11).jpg (2.66 MB, 4624x2600)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
lulu rolls in mud.
I bathe her.
she then stares at me to let her outside to roll in the mud again.
>>
>>4258402
she is standing on the wall, yes.
>>
>>4258402
well yeah. clearly she put the mud there for a reason and you destroyed her hard work.
>>
>>4258235
wait really? thats fucking dumb. why?
>>
>>4258437
because there is more demand for high quality dogs than supply right now, so they can afford to choose only happy high income nuclear families with prior dog experience, fenced 100 acre yards, and a nobel peace prize or two

and the rest of applicants can eat shit and never even get told no (just ignored)
>>
File: 20220801_214447.jpg (337 KB, 1080x613)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
Is this what blue-green algae looks like? Not that I would let my dog into such water anyway, but I just want to be sure. We've had record breaking temperatures and i have not seen this type of colouration much here, especially since most waters in my area aren't standing.
>>
File: sd.jpg (2.89 MB, 3056x2292)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
Someone in my neighborhood got a Samoyed. It's howl is the cutest thing in the world. They were playing with at the park and it would just give off the short wobbling howls to communicate.
>>
File: CEvans10.jpg (16 KB, 320x213)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>4258557
>Is this what blue-green algae looks like?

yes. amongst other colors. any stagnant water with visible algae must be avoided. even a big puddle in clayish soil can have cyanobacteria that is dangerous. it's ofthen identifyable being being a sort of carpet like goo that covers the gound and can be peeled off there with a stick like a reptiles' shed skin.
>>
File: image0.jpg (362 KB, 1403x2048)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
How does one acquire a bigger husky type dog from picrel?
>>
Pupper has separation anxiety. It's not the crying that concerns me though. It's him getting so worked up that he regurgitates his lunch on the floor.
On the bright side he eats it again right away and seems fine otherwise. How do I get him to chill out?
>>
Are any dogs smart enough to know when you're making fun of them?
I get the feeling this one dog understands when I taunt him.
>>
>>4259250
Damn, wolves are huge. Never realized.
>>
>>4257655
lol Germans are such histrionics but their country is ridiculously glowpozzed. He's not gonna do shit
>>
>>4259288
>collie
Funny, the dog I'm thinking of is a collie mix. He seems like the unfortunately retarded type, smart enough to know there's something he's not understanding and frustrated he'll never be able to break that plateau. It's hilarious to take my anger out on him and see his expression change as he realizes I'm not there to praise him.
>>
>>4259288
Is this true? I constantly call my old girl a fatass. I hope I haven't hurt her feelings.
>>
File: dog-cookies-21-1.jpg (92 KB, 750x938)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>
why was this thread specifically infested
>>
>>4259934
I wouldn't worry about it. Just post good dogs.
>>
File: images (49).jpg (11 KB, 201x251)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>4259936
>>
>>4259938
AERODYNAMIC
>>
Question, is it possible for a complete loner who works 9 hours, seldom 12 hours, to raise a puppy at all?
I wouldn't have anyone who could look after my pup but I also have no social life so I could easily come right home and give them my full undivided attention after work and before work.

If it is possible, how early can I take a pup in like this? Should it be like 5 or 6 months or can I go even younger?
>>
>>4257262
>was 200 posts a second ago
>suddenly 44 posts
literally what just fucking happened?
>>
>>4259973
a singular retard replying to himself about dog sex.
>>
>>4259956
Seems like a bad idea. I'd go for something a little lower maintenance. A cat, for instance. Find one that won't rip up your couch or shred your curtains.
>>
tfw you all your posts wiped cause you said SAing dogs is repulsive. why did so many posts that weren't about abusing your dogs also disappear? did the jannies go insane cause of us?
>>
>>4260015
looking at it closely, it wasn't an ip wipe but someone manually selected the posts from this thread and nuked them... weird
>>
>>4260015
>>4260018
It was just off topic. Jannies didn't like the discussion and so they shut it up. Which, you know, w/e. I was the guy arguing with the self proclaimed zoophile. I only got a warning (probably because I knew to stop talking when he started deleting posts) and it doesn't look like he's posted since, so he probably got banned. So w/e. Let's all just talk about dogs in a strictly pet/owner relationship and nothing weird. This is a blue board, after all.
>>
Should I even think about getting a dog if a cat was too much attachment/responsibility for me? I want a pug but there is 50% chance that I'll try to get rid of it once I'm bored
>>
>>4260122
If the cat was too much then yeah, definitely. That's about as low maintenance as you can possibly get. Don't break some poor pug's heart getting them all attached to you and then ditching them. Get a plant. A cactus. You hardly even have to water the things, just leave them near sunlight. That's the sort of pet you want. And if that proves too much for you, consider glueing googly eyes onto a rock.
>>
>>4260132
Or maybe the pug should stop being such a faggot and be glad for the amount of time it was taken care of.
>>
>>4260141
Kek yeah stick with the cactus
>>
6 months old and my puppy is still peeing in the house, what do I do?
This is my 4th dog and the first time I have had a problem with potty training…
>>
>>4260272
are you able to catch him when he does it
picking them up and carrying them out mid-pee worked well for me but they start getting heavy at 6 months...
usually there is a pattern to when they have to go so you can make sure to bring him outside after he eats and drinks a lot
>>
>>4260272
Talk to an actual trainer.
And get a bigger crate.
>>
>>4257858
thrilling conclusion:

>breeder #3 responded, 8 days after messaging them
>apologizes for taking a week to get back because her mom was sick
>would love to meet next week at a local dog show and we can take it from there

breederbros... there's light at the end of the tunnel. always never give up hope.
>>
>>4257858
>>4260382
What dog breed are you trying to get bro?
>>
>>4260272
https://youtu.be/bc5IQkm3W4w

Watch this and then binge the channel. Search tags puppy, safe etc. watch all longish vids in particular. I get a lot of hate for shilling LK here but he knows what he is doing and why. These shepherds are soft and sensitive dogs as fuack. They need structure, love, guidance, love, training, love, work, Love and LOVE.
>>
>>4260272
>>4260398
Also: nice TERF/10
>>
>>4260398
Larry Crohns disease abuses dogs. Structure is an emotionally sanitized term for strategic psychological abuse. Same violent and oppressive shit as the 20th century, new friendly words!
>>
>>4260382
use craigslist
>>
>>4260382
>dog show
Enjoy your inbred dog
>>
File: 1586108271381.jpg (59 KB, 500x519)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>tomorrow is one month since i lost my dog
i hate it bros, the house is so silent now, everything is so void of soul and colour without walking into rooms and seeing her there; or having her come running to me, i think about her little face every day and i miss it so much
>>
File: Papillon_Ears.jpg (196 KB, 779x713)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
I am getting one of these, how fucked am I?
>>
>>4260609
what is that
>>
>>4260609
fun times
>>
I have a quick question about puppies, I've never taken care of a litter before.
I have puppies that turned 3 weeks old today, they have their teeth and are very eagerly eating gruel, how many times should I feed it to them? I haven't seen them drink any water yet, and they still nurse from mom. I'm worried about feeding them too much or too often and making them sick.
>>
>>4257858
Why do you feel the need to pay $3,000 for an inbred, unhealthy "purebreed" when you can find a backyard breeder, mixed breed dog, or adopt a puppy for much less? Unless you need a specific breed for a specific purpose or something.
>>
File: FluentPet-Buttons.jpg (432 KB, 1600x1068)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
FluentPet, would you consider it for your dog?

https://youtu.be/KJQgNXUcOEY
>>
>>4260122
>can't even take care of a cat
Cats are casual mode pets, there's no way you could adequately care for a dog.
>pug
Fuck those things, they're ugly and can't even breed because humans artificially raped them into the ground. If you do decide to get a dog, get an actual dog and don't contribute to that shit.
>>
>>4260272
Awww, adorable.
My dog is just a fucking retard and it took her over a year before she got the point. Sometimes it just be like that. What does he do specifically? Does he go outside, come back in and then pee? Does he pee only in certain spots or at certain times? Does he do anything before he pees and have you caught him in the act?
>>
>>4260680
For MY dog? No, she's completely braindead.
For a SMART dog? Yes, I think that shit is cool.
>>
File: brittany art.jpg (176 KB, 900x734)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>4258670
Aww, that's adorable
>>4259257
Exercise your dog 30 minutes before you leave, so your dog gets tuckered out and sleeps while you're away. How long are you gone for?
>>4259286
Funny enough, one of my friend's labradoodle farted and we laughed and the labradoodle somehow "knew" we were making fun of him and put his tail between his legs and walked towards another room.
>>4259352
What are dog cookies generally made out of anyway? Could my degenerate ass eat them too?
>>4259934
Blame zoophiles
>>4259956
No
>>4260122
Don't get a dog if you're already overwhelmed by the cat.
>>4260555
I'm so sorry anon, my dog passed a couple of months back and when people ask how I'm doing I sometimes think about my dog, and ... it feels like he's still here even though I know he's not. It hurts.
>>4260643
Papillon
>>
File: 33xbyw5.png (438 KB, 912x357)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
Gf and I want to get a dog, she grew up with Cats, I grew up with an Akita and then a Yorkie. We currently have reptiles. We're in an apartment so we're thinking about a Shiba (probably male) because of the size, intelligence, lack of inclination to bark (we know about the scream and the vocalizations, trainability, and the independent nature of them. So far we're leaning toward this dog but I want to keep our options open and the internet fucking sucks dick for recommendations. Articles will recommend 100lb dogs for apartments so I wanted to ask actual owners. . Anyone else have recommendations?
>>
>>4260742
I'll let you know when I get mine. Could always get a Whippet or Italian Greyhound too. Random suggestions, Schipperke and Klee Kai. Know people in apartments with both of those and they've worked out well.
>>
>My dog likes to hold my hand down while she licks it
Why does she do this?
>>
>>4260749
Will look into those, gf hates how Greyhounds look but my grandma had one she adopted when I was growing up and he was a great dog
>>
>>4260674
>find a backyard breeder
unknown health, unknown temperament, likely as much unscrupulous inbreeding as an akc-registered breeder

>mixed breed dog
unknown health, unknown temperament, doubly so if it's an accidental litter and if it's an intentional crossbreed then probably unscrupulously bred to cater to yuppies

>adopt a puppy
unknown health, unknown temperament, have to deal with shelter karens auditing my life

also I'm a retired cryptoneet and $3k is a fart in the wind to me
>>
>>4260014
>>4260729
I'm going to get a dog regardless, the most you can talk me down from is getting a puppy.
What specific reasons is it not possible to have a 6-month year old puppy if you're gone 9 hours of the day?

Thankfully being a social hermit I can give it my undivided attention and love the other 15 hours of the day if I'm not sleeping, in fact, being a social hermit is part of why I want a dog.
>>
>>4260845
Was decent bait but you overplayed your hand
>>
>>4260851
It's not bait, I'm genuine.
There's no way everyone with a dog has some fake job they can do from home. I hate cats so I won't get a cat.
>>
>>4260845
Puppies don't understand that you have to be away from home for hours every day. Being alone for 9+ hours a day for a puppy is torture. They're social animals and need other beings to interact with. Also their puppy years are crucial for their mental development and leaving a puppy alone in what is essentially solitary confinement for half the day will have a huge negative impact on their psychological well-being.

Again, they're social animals and need constant companionship throughout the day- especially when they're young.
>>
>>4260859
So how young can someone like me reasonably get a dog?
>>
>>4260854
9+ hrs of isolation during those formative puppy months up to 1,5+ years will literally destroy the dog. During this time, they need to be around as many different people, animals, environments etc. as possible. Maybe if you got an easy going mature/elderly (shelter) dog you could pull it off. Maybe.
>>
>>4260868
>>4260867
or get 2 dogs to keep each other company.
>>
>>4260870
No, that is the worst kind of idea. They do not do that, they just lay around and wait for the owner.

>>4260867
Most likely you can not. Go volunteer with a shelter or offer your dog sitting services to people in need in your neighbourhood. There are many elderly people around who can not really play with their dogs any more and they would be happy if somebody offered to take their dogs out for more intense exercise. Ofc you'd need to know how to deal with/play with/train dogs...
>>
>>4260872
>dog sitting services to people in need in your neighbourhood
>There are many elderly people around who can not really play with their dogs any more and they would be happy if somebody offered to take their dogs out for more intense exercise
I live in a shitty neighborhood, not paraidiso suburbia I'm afraid.
That's part of why I want a dog, I need a ray of sunshine in my life. Cats can't cut it, they just remind me of the cutthroat reality of life.

Is it really impossible to get a 2-year old dog and smother him in love and attention every hour outside of the 45 I work?
Especially given I work overnight I feel I should be able to train a dog to sleep during the time I'm away,
>>
>>4260875
>train a dog to sleep during the time I'm away,
thats not how dogs work anon
>>
>>4260859
How often should you check on/have someone check on a puppy when you first get it?>>4260875
Anon, a dog isn't for you. Why buy an animal to suffer with you?
>>
>>4260875
Shelters then. 9hrs of work + commute + you time + 8hrs of sleep... when exactly will you be entertaining the dog? it's not going to work.
>>
>>4260884
No u don't understand bro. The neet who can't take care of himself will be magically inspired by the animal to stop being a piece of shit
>>
I've already checked Google but not getting exactly what I'm looking for
My dog has a few small tears on his foot pads, first layer, no bleeding.
One of the small tears looks like maybe it was bleeding, and hair got into it, and the part of the pad which tore scabbed over the hair
Will the scab fall off and release the hair or biodegrade or something?
Do I need to go to the vet to have this treated?
I don't want to pay the vet $300 just to look at it and say it's fine.
>>
>>4260945
If needed, I can afford the vet, I just don't want to be scammed.
I won't be pulling the dog so hard he spins anymore...
>>
>>4260885
do you know what neet means?
>>
>>4260945
>>4260948
when in doubt, go to the vet.
I know you might not want to because bogus charges, but if you think it is something serious, you should.
>>
Cringe
>>
>>4261036
I don't think it's serious
I'm just stupid
I'm pretty sure he will be fine
>>
>>4260837
It's not unknown health or temperament if you see the parent dogs or if they're tested. It's exactly the same if you buy from a big breeder - I've had mixed (20+ breeds) dogs that are well tempered and perfectly healthy, and I've had purebred dogs from reputable breeders that were absolutely fucking nightmares. I am never getting a purebred again - people give them a pass on bad behaviour because "well that's just how the breed is", they're all inbred to shit, they all have health problems (did you know 30% of pedigree dogs die in the first 2 weeks for no apparent reason? it's like 4x the mortality of mutts), and worst of all they're nearly impossible to get because all breeders are Karens about them and usually make you sign contracts to get them neutered or whatever. That's if you can even avoid getting a puppy mill dog that'll probably suffer from parasites and brain damage.
>>
>>4260875
Unironically, get a reptile instead.

Dogs do not understand object permanence - just like with a baby, they only know something exists when it's right in front of them, and almost as soon as it's gone they think the item itself no longer exists.
It's fairly common for adult dogs to get separation anxiety when their owner goes to the store for half an hour - leaving a young dog alone at home, especially when that home is a new environment, is akin to putting a human child (like and 8 year old) in solitary confinement for an entire day.
It is cruel to get a dog in your current circumstance, there is no ifs, ands, or buts about this.

Dogs are incredibly social animals, they cannot be left alone for hours at a time, they require a lot of attention. No, starving them of attention and then flooding them with attention when you get home is not the solution. They don't have a "daily requirement" for attention and love that can be filled up whenver you please, they need someone there with them for most the day.

Even if you get an older dog, that dog will take around 3 months to get used to you - in that time you'll need to be around it a lot. Getting anything under 2-3 years old would constitute abuse for a lot of people, a dog older than that might be able to climatize to it but you'd need to take time off of work to help it settle in.

Get a reptile, or a fish, or a small mammal like a rat or a bunny instead. They can learn to love you without needing constant attention.
>>
>>4260945
Can we see a pic? He probably doesn't need a vet, depending on how it looks you may want to take the scab off/clean the hair out, or have a vet do it, and care for his paw after.
In all liklihood the scab will heal and the hair will fall out, but as I said I'd like to see it so I know what we're dealing with.
>>
>>4261063
Yes they do have object permanence. They get anxious because of the door separating them from you and try to destroy it to find you and can look for hidden objects in general. They can also pass the false belief test and have demonstrated episodic memory.
>>
>>4261205
I meant that for puppies, sorry if it was unclear it was right before I went to bed. Older dogs have it but a puppy like they wanted may not.
>>
>>4260764
idk, but
>my dog likes to bury and rub his face consistently in the bend of my knees area
>>
File: 1608648520588.jpg (440 KB, 823x900)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
>>
File: 1602784262968.jpg (229 KB, 1118x1251)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
>>
File: 1462834616297.jpg (38 KB, 440x295)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: 20220729_071018.jpg (3.33 MB, 4032x3024)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>4257262
This fucking idiot right here
>>
>>4260945
>>4261064
>Can we see a pic?

This. if your lizard brain is telling you something is wrong, act on it, see a vet. Are you sure it's not a light/healed burn? Blacktop is hot as hell these days. Use dog boots/rubberized dog socks if you absolutely have to make your dog walk on concrete, or sand for that matter (1) in summer. Test the ground. Always bring water, for the dog to drink and for the paws to wet them. if need be, carry the dog. you can give the dog a nice foot bath in the tub and then inspect the paws further. They can get dry and cracks and show with age or if the dog is building up dead skin without it wearing down: https://www.greatpetcare.com/dog-health/dog-paw-hyperkeratosis/

The immediate remedy if it's only a light form of "feet callous" is to wash them and use a paw balm regularly. Dryness is what causes this. Paw balms for dogs exist but a regular Vaseline will do fine too and I have used Neutrogena hand cream as well. Apply it before bed at night. make sure the dog can't slip and hurt itself with greased up paws (do it in a carpeted room and don't let the dog out).
>>
File: 20220430_165301~2.jpg (1.79 MB, 2890x3563)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
>>4257803
Xylitol is hugely overblown for anything from mid-size on up, which I learned when this big dumb sonuvabitch ate an entire thing of chewing gum.
>>
>>4261838
People seriously overestimate the danger of like, anything short of literal rat poison for their pets. If you talk to anyone they'll say chocolate, raisins, garlic, etc. is INSTANT DEATH for dogs, except I've literally seen people feed chocolate bars as dog treats to their pomeranian, and there are branded dog biscuits made with garlic. Yeah, feeding your dog a ton of raisins or whatever isn't good for them, but they're not gonna flop over dead the instant they swipe a dropped Tylenol.

Phoneposting because the jannies here are fucking shit and either a) zoophiles, or b) are deleting replies to the replies of things they are deleting.

What the fuck has happened to 4chan? I take a break for like 5 years and when I come back all of the previously decent boards are now absolute fucking shit trawled by zoophiles and trannies, and moderated by militant zoophiles and trannies.
>>
My dog died. I totally lost it. I couldn’t accept it. I got a new dog telling myself she would have wanted it. I didn’t deserve her. She didn’t deserve me. I gave the new dog away. I cried again. I still want to die. I don’t have anything to go back to. I don’t have anything to look forward to. I’m living life on autopilot trying to ignore it. I am totally detached from everything I do. I dont want anyone to care when I die. I lost everything when she died. I’m not here anymore. She was the only person I ever cared about.
>>
File: FWgjpuyVEAANODo.jpg (68 KB, 771x771)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>4261960
this is how i feel too except i haven't had the heart to give my new dog away and he's kept me alive for the last three years
>>
File: 20220802_131841.jpg (1.63 MB, 1816x3067)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
My nephews 6 month old Tibetan Mastiff
>>
Anyone have experience (or know anyone who has) with Jindos? They seem like a really good fit aside from their prey drive and was wondering if anyone knows about limiting their dislike toward other dogs
>>
Can I get an 11 year old dog to learn how to properly behave during walks when running into other dogs still? Is this an exposure thing? His owner basically never walks with him, so whenever I have him for a few days per year I take wood walks with him. The first few times he will try to rush in the beginning, full of excitement and happy to get out. He eventually calms down(a little bit) and usually when we are a bit deeper in I let him loose after confirming that there's nobody else around so that he can just retard run for 2-3 minutes before moving on to the next spot.

Now whenever we run into a dog however he will... whimper? You know, that higher frequency begging thing because he wants to run up to it. Sniff, play, whatever. For a lot, that's all he does even when we walk past each other. For others however, he will switch. He will bark and become really forceful. Having to grab the leash with the second hand then to keep him in line. Once we are past the dog, it's like he never gave a fuck about it. His backhair will stay down by the way, also no change in his ears etc(unlike when we walk by the house with the 2 german sheps). Could just some treats for good behaviour fix this or is he too old?
>>
>>4262097
Probably too old unfortunately. My old dog whimpers and hides behind me when she runs into other dogs on her walks. When she was younger, she would bark like a maniac at them. I could never get her to stop, no matter what I tried. Some dogs just have weird personality quirks you have to accept.
>>
>>4262037
I had experience with Jindos, but they are too small. Huskies are better choice and big enough.
>>
Support freedom, ignore breeders and animal shelters. Rate breeders the smallest count of stars where you can, and shelters too. Google rating is nice for it.
Use craigslist to buy dogs. Ignore craiglist sellers who did not type in description that dog was neutered and rate such sellers the smallest count of stars.
Ignore neuter propaganda.
>>
File: 20220729_173432.jpg (3.02 MB, 4032x3024)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
My guardian gargoyle
>>
>>4262261
tell me your house stinks without telling me your house stinks
>>
>>4262261
they're so fucking disgusting with all that extra floppy ass skin everywhere on them.
>>
File: 1321561465.png (1.41 MB, 1438x792)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
>>
>>4257881
I pity the people that have to live around dog people
>>
>>4257881
I pity the dogs that have to live with you being neutered or abstined.
>>
>>4262345
I love curly tails!
>>
File: 78692457855.webm (2.9 MB, 1700x1080)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
>>
File: adv_1659743563337822.png (72 KB, 452x363)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>4257262
This is mostly aimed at pet owners. Specifically dog owners:

We've had a dog for around 6 months that my mom got the family as a Valentine's Day gift. It's a brown chocolate lab. I don't remember his exact age but I'm pretty sure he's a teenager at least. Certainly not a puppy anymore but not grown adult yet. We somewhat trained it to not go into certain places in our house. Mainly my mom's room and the kitchen especially. Basically all we did was yell at it to not go on the kitchen and it followed this rule most of the time. A few minutes ago at not only broke this rule but proceeded to eat both my dad's and my food, which pissed off my mom very heavily and she seriously wants to get rid of it now. This isn't the only thing it's done to piss her off as it often shits on our floors (though I don't think we should really blame it for that since both times they did this we were all gone for most of the day so we couldn't let him out). Well I don't exactly blame her for being very pissed off, it's really our fault too because we never try to properly train him. We've had them for like 6 months and he doesn't even know how to play catch. I should have suggested we actually learned how to train him much sooner and I should probably do that now but my mom is not going to want to hear any of that shit right now.

My question is, how the fuck do you train aa dog to uhhh.. NOT do certain things? This is the first pet we've had in a while. And due to my mom's sometimes...... Emotional and irrational behavior (yeah we'll call it that) she even wants to basically discipline the thing as if it were her own child. I'm no pet expert but I'm pretty sure all this is going to do is make him afraid of her. Younger siblings are begging her tonight do that but since she's a slave to her emotions she's going to let this ruin her entire night, the next day, probably the whole fucking week. What do? How do you people train dogs? Someone on another board suggested beating him...
>>
>>4262981
if this isn't copypasta you and are family are too retarded to have one of the most easily trainable and easygoing dogs. give it away to someone better.
>>
>>4262981
>Someone on another board suggested beating him.

rehome the dog. This is basic dog training and your family can't be bothered to do it and your mother flips her shit over one "stolen" meal. It's all your fault. It always is. Be a decent human bean (for once) and find the dog a good, responsible home. It will be to the benefit of all parties involved. Honestly, you do not want a dog anyway...
>>
Puppies born a few days ago and breeder confirmed I'm on the A-list. Should be getting a greater swiss mountain dog puppy in 9 weeks from now. Excited as fuck.
>>
>>4262981
>how the fuck do you train aa dog to uhhh.. NOT do certain things?
your dog wants nothing more than to be paid attention to and feel relevant. The worst conceivable punishment he can suffer is not a beating or an admonishment, it's actually just being ignored. Having affection and attention be withdrawn. Being ignored causes anxiety, causes stress, causes distress, causes your dog's entire life to fall into a state of disarray and crisis. If you respond to their bad behavior by ignoring them, they will learn very shortly never to repeat that behavior. If you respond to their bad behavior with admonishment or a beating, well... getting beat is honestly better than being ignored/alone/shunned, in their mind.

When they behave poorly, you need to be able to put them somewhere where they cannot do further damage and do not have any other distractions (ideally a crate, or an empty room, etc), and very performatively abandon them for a short period of time. Return 5-10 minutes later and treat them as normal going forward.

Seriously, abandonment is 10x worse to a dog than being physically punished.
>>
>>4263011
Congratulations, how big will yours be?
>>
>>4262261
Had a boxer for 14 years. Best family dog breed for sure, but outside he was a bit over protective due to being a guard dog breed.
>>
>>4263307
poseur
>>
>>4263061
sire is 130 and the bitch is 100, I asked for a boy but no guarantee. I would guess 120 +/-10 when fully grown.
>>
>>4261871
guy in my Dad's village feeds his dog a clove of garlic a day with his dinner, he's about 9 years old now and healthy as ever.
>>
Dogs will always be better than cats
>>
>>4262981
If it's a small or medium dog, you can just use a child/dog-proof gate or literally just close the door to keep him out of certain rooms and try pad-training it if you can't get him to go outside. Honestly though this is no wehre near as bad as cats sho will literally jump on anything and open doors just to piss you off
>>
Doing some work on my doghouse this summer, needs a new roof. Was thinking of getting a fan put in there to help cool my doggo down. Anybody do any similar projects? A little solar powered thing would be great.
>>
>>4263454
I drilled a few holes with a hole saw and put in some of these louvers on the side that usually doesn't get hit by the wind.
>>
>>4263429
Corrects
>>
File: IMG-20220803-WA0002.jpg (399 KB, 1152x2048)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
I wake up early.
Always do.
Dog realizes I'm awake and cries at 4am
Wife doesn't want me to change his walk schedule despite that solving everything because it'll get him to stop crying
What do?
>>
>>4263523
Your wife is right. Your dog cries because he knows it gets him attention. Ignore him for a few days and walk him at the right time until he gets the message to keep quiet until you let him out. Otherwise you'll be walking the dog at 3am next.
>>
>>4263527
This includes not yelling at him to keep quiet. Dogs don't speak English. Attention is attention.
>>
>>4263527
this
a buddy of mine basically fell victim to that exact scenario
then when i watched the dog for him, he's surprised she wasn't bother me until like 8/9 AM, while he was getting woken up at 3
>>
>>4263531
bothering*
don't worry, I'm not an ESL retard or SEAnigger
>>
well bros I'm fucked. dog has torn her ACL (knee ligament) and I dont have insurance to pay for it to be fixed. now what the fuck do I do. We've been doing low intensity walks for a couple of weeks now and its maybe getting better but hard to know. Will it heal eventually or am I going to have to put my dog down? shes about 2.5 yrs old. god fucking damn why does this shit always happen to me FUCK.
>>
File: retard.jpg (89 KB, 452x428)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>4263538
Why wasn't your dog insured? Did you think she'd make it to her natural lifespan without any injuries?
Also you could consider a knee brace so it can have a chance to heal on its own. Even low intensity walks is too much on torn tissue it needs time to scar over and heal.
>>
>>4263538
You can strengthen ligaments with very low intensity exercise over a long period but you have to be careful it doesn't re-tear.
t. Torn ACL and meniscus and can jump higher than before I tore them.
>>
>>4263538
Did a vet tell you she tore her acl or is that your guess?
How big of a dog or what breed is she? How long ago was she injured? How is she treating it?
It CAN heal on its own without any longterm effects, but it depends on a lot of things.
>>
>>4263547
I’ve never had a dog before so I didn’t know they got injured from just jumping around. Doesn’t help that she’s got German shepherd back legs, I knew they would cause me issues.

>>4263549
Ok that’s good news. I’ll try and tone the walks down even more just to be safe.

>>4263554
Not been to the vet but it’s pretty obvious that’s what it is. I just thought it was a pulled muscle until I did some googling and a torn ACL is exactly the symptoms she’s got.
>>
>>4263564
>I did some googling
Go to the vet you absolute retard
>>
>>4263589
>no money for vet
>Go tO tHE veT ReTArd!!!
the absolute state of /r/dogs/... sorry, /dog/
>>
>>4263589
>go to vet
>oh it’s a torn acl
>that’ll be £30 for the diagnosis please
>plus £5 for each carprofen
Yeah no thanks, it’s not like I’ve misdiagnosed a torn ACL as brain cancer, it’s pretty obvious what it is.
>Oh and if I want surgery that’ll be £5000.
She’s just a dog, diagnosing things isn’t that difficult. She’s still walking around so it’s not completely fucked I guess. At 2.5yrs I’d expect it to heal pretty well as well.
>>
>>4263482
There's a few kits on amazon with like 2 little 4''x4'' fans. Not sure if it's even worth it though, reviews seem to make it sound like they don't move much air.
>>
>>4263658
>At 2.5yrs I’d expect it to heal pretty well as well.

I seriously hope this is bait soo much. If not, I really hope somebody runs you over or some paki stabs you in the spinal cord. ffs, you could not even be bothered to "use google" to research that no, torn tendons do not "heal", ever, yet. pulled muscles (can) heal. ruptured tendons need surgery. depending on what's wrong, the structure scars, builds a fibrous pseudo-joint maybe and the appendage stiffens up/looses range of motion and strength (it's what they do for HD: cut off the ball part of the femur and let the whole thing scar up). according to your own guess, you do not even want to afford the £30 for a baseline checkup? what's that, going to McD's twice?

>Doesn’t help that she’s got German shepherd back legs, I knew they would cause me issues.

why then did you not act like it? why were you not more careful?

>We've been doing low intensity walks for a couple of weeks

so you plan is/was to let your dog walk around on a visibly injured leg?
>>
>bring dog in after last potty of the night
>go downstairs to the basement for 2 seconds to get something

>come back upstairs to put my dog to bed, but find this mountain of vomit on the floor.

I thought my dog took a huge dump, but apparently it was a large amount of vomit. I literally was gone for a few seconds and I didn’t even hear this. What would cause a dog to vomit like this?

I visited my parents earlier and brought my dog over. I’m wondering if she ate something off the ground that didn’t agree with her.

Is this any cause for concern? I just put my dog in her crate for the night and cleaned up. Is it safe to give her breakfast tomorrow morning?
>>
>dog found a nice place to shit consistently
>Cunt property manager tells me I have to take him to the dog park instead
>It's raining and I don't want to get electrocuted
>Try to take him to walk
>Instant piss but no shit
>Start to walk home
>He projectile shits all over the parking deck
I really need this to firm up. One minute I'm getting solid turds, the next it's soft serve. And I think it's got something to do with his separation anxiety or getting used to his new food.
>>
>>4261838
You can just go look up the levels by your dogs weight. That helped me when I realized my 65 lb dog would have to eat a few full candy bars before it was a concern. A lot of the issue is with really tiny dogs I'm guessing.
Also, it's just good to know so you don't use them as snacks for dogs. Like, if I didn't know chocolate was bad for dogs, I'd probably give my dog chocolate when I had it.
>>
>>4260859
>>4260868
Different anon, but what about getting 10-12 months old puppy? At what age a dog begins keeping its shit together (literally and figuratively)?
>>
>>4261500
When was the last time you were at groomers, Peter?
>>
>>4263538
>dog has torn her ACL (knee ligament) and I dont have insurance to pay for it to be fixed
Jesus Christ what is it with you wagies buying dogs impulsively.
>>
>>4263432
Lil faggot escapes it faster than you can say “Peanut stop!”
>>
>>4263895
Most dogs, 2-3 years, but it also depends on the breed (huskies never calm down but pitbulls turn into lazy loafs, research the breed first). You want a lazy/laid back dog, the issue is even laid-back ones will be very anxious without their owner around. If you want an aloof animal get something that lives in a cage/aquarium or get a cat, dogs are nearly universal needy fuckers.
>>
>>4264006
>>
>>4264023
lmao
>>
>>4264022
What about chow chows? They seem indifferent bears giving no fucks. Too bad, I don’t like them otherwise.
>>
At 511 total posts (+ 3 ghost), I think this is the longest running /dog/ ever. Thanks jannies.
>>
>>4264080
They work so hard it's almost like they're getting paid
>>
>>4264075
Chows are mean fuckers and I don't like them.
>>
Australian shepherds and border collies in general are hideous and smell like actual shit, and every single one i’ve met has been an actual retard that cant push open a door or walk backwards out of a tight spot. Why do people like these autistic dogs?

Not to mention they’re so inbred ivermectin kills them and they can’t breed naturally or half their offspring ends up deaf, blind, and having a seizure. It would be better if these overbred sheep drones went extinct. NZ already has healthier mutts that outdo them.
>>
>>4264166
agreed

people who breed collies with genetic disorders like merle coats are animal abusers.
>>
>>4264168
so like our friend eeveefaggot
>>
>>4264166
huskies are smarter than border collies desu
>>
>potty training is going well
>Every time I take the puppy to walk he finds a rock or piece of wood chip to try and swallow whole
>Pretty sure he's succeeded
How fucked is he? Will he just puke up the ones that are too big to pass?
>>
>last night my huge dog decided to sleep in my bed and not move to his own THE ENTIRE NIGHT
Worst sleep I've ever had, I sleep on a twin futon over a plank, and it was just him overextending to my area and both of us tossing and turning.
>>
>>4264564
>>4264558
Looks like someone failed dog 101! remember the 10 commandments of DOG…

1: NO DOGS ON FURNITURE
2: 3 foot leash MAXIMUM
3: walk at a heel with a loose leash or dont walk at all. NO SNIFFING.
4: dogs go in crates when not being used
5: only potty on command
6: dogs need 2 hours of attention, any more and they are burned out and worse at training and obedience. put it in the crate.
7: only eat or drink on command
8: dogs have “freedom” only when you tell them, and they give it back up when you tell them.
9: never have your dog outside without an e collar AND a leash on them
10: Structure, structure, structure! No inconsistency, no true freedom!
>>
>>4264564
>not spooning with your dog to optimize space on the bed
pathetic
>>
>>4264595
He's retarded and takes the wall side of the bed, nothing i can do
>>
>bought Stress/Anxiety relief Hemp oil for my dog
>put it on some treats before I leave on a busy day
>come back today
>dog drank/spilt the entire bottle of hemp oil and tore up pieces of the carpet that it spilled on trying to eat it up

Well fuck, there goes my fucking deposit
>>
>>4264628
>using untested drugs
See… >>4264594
Spend 1 hour with your dog before work and then put them in the crate. If you gave them structure they will be fine in the crate, because they wont do anything you haven’t told them to. Dogs dont think and arent self aware so you just need to condition them correctly and they WILL be happy. Only a really stupid dog wouldn’t take well to balanced training. See? Structure keeps dogs SAFE!

Binge this entire channel and then you can make comments and questions…
https://youtube.com/user/lklencho
>>
hmm I noticed the huskoid owners are slow to pretend their dogues are super smart and cant be trained like other dogs today

Why would that be? Maybe they finally realized they were wrong and structured conditioning results in a happy, safe, healthy dog!
>>
>>4264633
Stop spamming this, I'm not putting my dog in the crate. He mainly did it because he associated it with food and I ran out of dog food 2 days ago, so I have been feeding him salmon and scraps.
>>
>>4264640
you should not have a dog and I genuinely hope you run out of food and have to eat trash…
>>
>>4264594
I think I might just be psyching myself out and he might not have eaten it. It was a big fucking rock from the looks of it. No way that fit down his throat. My cope is it fell into the other rocks.
Side note, what kind of psycho makes a dog park with gravel? Dirt or sand would have been better.
>>
>>4264644
if you think you dog could die why not train it correctly so it couldn’t? start watching

https://youtube.com/user/lklencho
>>
>>4264642
Fuck off dude, I don't eat trash so why would MY FOOD be trash? He's eating the same food I'm eating so kill yourself and fuck right off.
>>
>>4264646
Because he's too young and retarded to know not to try to eat rocks. It's been hours and he's jumping around and playing. He for sure didn't eat it.
>>
>>4264649
You can not train a dog correctly and you can not feed them a wsava approved diet imho you are abusing them and should rehome them ASAP if you cant even feed them the correct diet
>>
>>4264652
Stop responding with nonsensical garbage.
>>
>>4264654
I am trying to help you and your dog so they dont end up malnourished, stressed out, injured, or dead…
>>
>>4264655
You're telling me to lock him up in a crate, not allow him to sniff, and only live on command hwile only giving him a maximum of 2 hours of attention a day
>>
>>4264662
Yes and dogs enjoy that. Dogs arent self aware, they dont care if they are in a cage, they only need conditioning and then they are happy. dogs are unhaply if you break from routine, so make a routine that always works. Structure!
>>
>>4264639
All the huskyfags stopped posting in /dog/ and no one knows why. No more stupid anthropomorphizing dog worship (“dw”). Thank god.
>>
File: 1641702002282.webm (2.11 MB, 408x720)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB WEBM
>>
>>4264667
It's called taking a break. Since the hyper janny is being hyper.
We are doing other shit
>>
>>4264662
>>4264651
Don't take the bait. This fag constantly spams that SUPER ALPHA MEGA EGO CHAD retard constantly. Most people know that if you're happy and your dog's happy with whatever your house rules are, then it's nobody else's business. 99% of dogs do not need to be told when they can eat or be locked in a crate when their owner is not currently commanding them.

Pray for his tiny YouTuber penis and move on.
>>
>>4264680
>people having their houses ruined, dogs almost killed
>post simple advice that every dog trainer agrees with
>people start gettinng mad about penises
Larry krohn is a very well respected trainer and i do not see why you think about his penis so much and such
https://youtube.com/watch?v=zQt_kDS9e4o
Can we mayhapses see YOUR well trained dog hmmm…? I would like to ser a husky not listening to “sit” for 20 minutes
>>
>>4264649
I genuinely hope your dog gets sick and you’re forced to surrender it or put it down

what kind of a retard gets a dog and can afford weed oil but cant afford dog food
>>
>>4264803
Fuck off, I ordered the food late because I was deciding if it was worth the fucking gas to drive for something I get free shipping for. And the hemp oil was FREE. now KYS
>>
>>4264863
Right after you kill your /dog/ lole
>>
>>4264874
my dog used to be a stray, he'd be dead if he wasn't a survivor
>>
>>4264879
not for long

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.