[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bald kot.jpg (30 KB, 480x360)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
Bald edition
Previous: >>4236319
>>
>>4247710
My cat I've had for a year was found as a kitten and spent two years in the shelter before I got her. She's comfortable with me enough to sleep by me on the couch while I watch tv. But she wakes me up at night a lot by sniffing my face. Why does she sniff my face while I'm sleeping so much?
>>
File: received_1034729740549750.jpg (376 KB, 1536x2048)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
This is my cat. His name is Spam. He's a little stupid. I love him with every ounce of my being.
>>
File: warm kitties.jpg (1.57 MB, 1613x1210)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>
File: P_20220723_085540.jpg (3.29 MB, 2746x2059)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
>>4247304
fed him earlier
>>
File: Gremlin.jpg (84 KB, 1080x1440)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
This is my little guy. His name is Gremlin and he loves water and his weekly baths. He likes belly rubs and going on walks around the apartment building. He doesn't like having his ears cleaned.
>>
Happy caturday
>>
>>
>>4247710
A thread died for this festering wound of general.
>>
>>4247810
Maybe that's the only time she can reach your face. Cats will generally want to stuff their faces into yours if they trust you. Try giving her some opportunities to do that during day and maybe she will stop.
>>
File: tragic life of cat.jpg (3.25 MB, 3008x4016)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
>tfw you need to take a nap again
>>
>>4248090
When I try to do that she slaps my face.
>>
>>4247901
Is it true that sphinx cats are a bit stinky?
>>
>>4248117
He means lay down and let her get close, not stick your idiot face in hers.
>>
So what is the evolutionary purpose of kots having whiskers? They don't seem to have much use.
>>
File: 1658574092069.jpg (279 KB, 1080x1120)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>4248287
>I'm too retarded to Google anything
>>
>>4248043
yum
>>
So recently my friend has this stray cat he's been sort of taking care of by giving him food. And I started to fall in love with it and give it some food too. (I would take him in but I already got a dog and she hates cats).
Today I decided to go in the morning, but the cat wasn't there. So I left him some canned patte out that he can eat later. But now I'm worried if the cat food will rot by the time he comes back and he'll get sick.

I know jackshit about cat care so anons, should I go back?
>>
>>4248182
They haven't got the fur to absorb the oils their skin produces, so no giving them a bath causes them to become a little stinky and sticky/greasy.
>>
>>4248287
>So what is the evolutionary purpose of kots having whiskers?
a Cat's whiskers are usually as wide as their shoulders. If they stick their head into something, and their whiskers clear the sides, then the cat knows the rest of them can get through with no problem.
They also have a blind spot right in front of their mouth. So if they're fucking with a mouse or bug and it tries to juke out of a bite at the last second it sets off the whiskers like a trip wire.
If you're ever had a situation where your cat lost their whiskers (or you taped them down with scotch tape because it's funny and you're a dick) the cat will constantly get stuck behind things because its mechanism for figuring out of it can fit is all fucked up and it takes a while to adapt.
They also help with balance. If you tape one side of the cat whiskers down, but not the other, they won't walk straight.
I remember as a kid my dad had this big roll of heavy duty stickers (think of the label on the bottom of the brick on a laptop cable) and our cat was being a nosy cat, and my dad slapped one of the stickers on the top of his head and instantly the cat took off in reverse at full speed truing to keep his head as low as possible yowling and screeching like a retard, knocking over everything and anything in its path and all me and my dad could do was fall on the ground laughing.
That cat held a grudge for the rest of its life.
tl;dr - cat whiskers are super useful to them
>>
>>4247810
She's chasing off the spiders and roaches.
Honestly though, cats are naturally nocturnal/crepuscular. So they're predisposed to being most active at night, and their human is being a boring lazy faggot who's just LAYING there.
Alternatively maybe the cat is hungry.
I know the kitten I got earlier this year really didn't like that I slept at night, and for the first couple months I'd wake up to him hopping up and down on my shoulder or hip, with a toy in his mouth. Then when I'd open my eyes he'd drop the toy for me to throw for him, or he'd chase it as it rolled down the covers. Some morning's I'd wake up with half his toy box piled around me. I'm the grouchiest mother fucker in the world if you wake me up, but he was so fucking cute it melted even my cold black heart.
Or maybe you were just snoring, and the cat knows if it pokes its whiskers in your face you'll roll over or shift your head and stop making that noise.
>>
File: 1644796904783.gif (492 KB, 128x128)
492 KB
492 KB GIF
Why does my cat never stay in my room for more than 20 minutes at a time? She'll scratch the door to get in, get comfortable, then randomly jolt awake and leave. This routine is like clockwork and nothing I do seems to influence her trying really hard to get it or randomly leaving after a certain amount of time.
>>
>>4248182
yes, but you learn to love your little stinker
>>
>>4248473
If they cant adapt are they not NPCs?
>>
soooo I saw a wild cat in my yard. I called my dog over to chase it away. The cat jumped up on the fence quick. But the I noticed there is a real small kitten with her and my dog had just cornered the kitten when I grabbed him. Anyways now the cat bugged out and the kitten is hiding in a small crack between my shed amd the fence. What do?
>>
File: catman yell.png (1.02 MB, 1300x957)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
>>4247710
Should I force my brother to get his "new" cat checked out? I got two bros. One took in a stray for a year. I forced him to vax/deworm or whatever. That bro moved and abandoned the cat. Cat has been outdoors for 5 months now and recently my youngest brother took it back in the house.

On a related note how far do cats travel to go back "home?" There's a chance my bro won't take it to the vet so I'll be getting rid of it. There's a chance he won't even take care of the fucking thing and leave me to do it. I fucking hate cats and refuse to take care of one for someone that wants it but not the responsibility. Am I better off taking it the pound instead? I refuse to cull it first and foremost.
>>
Cuddling with my cat makes me all warm and fuzzy inside
>>
>>4248458
just go back tomorrow
>>
File: cat with go pro.png (2.38 MB, 1921x817)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB PNG
Has anyone more cat pov channels?
https://youtu.be/epFfJBaHABw
>>
File: PXL_20220722_042405583~2.jpg (474 KB, 1439x1438)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
Wtf does this mean
She drank like crazy a few minutes after I took this, was she thirsty and just too stupid to remember where her water was?
>>
File: mmnso9t263p21.jpg (159 KB, 1124x1500)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
Look the meat on this one.
>>
>>4247710
I'm at my wit's end with my cat. She came potty trained but she has pretty much stopped using the litter box altogether. I catch her pissing on the carpet 1-3 times a day (and that's just the times I catch her) I've tried practically everything, if I move the litter box, she just shits where the litter box used to be. She's been to the vet, she had a urinalysis.

I don't know what to do, I feel like surrendering her and recommending they try to get her adopted as a barn cat. It just sucks because she's bonded with my other cat. But my whole apartment is starting to stink like piss, and I can't get her fucking stop and it's driving me crazy.
>>
>>4249140
How many litter boxes do you have? Cat's can be really picky about sharing.
Have you taken the cat to the vet? A lot of time a cat suddenly going to the bathroom outside of the litter box is an early sign something is wrong.
>>
>>4249141
Two. I can move them around anywhere but my other cat will still use it. 5 seconds after I moved it to another room my potty trained cat used it there. I can't stop her from using both. And yes I took her to the vet I already said that.
>>
What's the best way to get my three month old kitten to stop trying to play and bite my wife's and my feet when he's in play mode? More intense play time to tire him out?
>>
>>4249156
Get a cat fish pole (long enough so kitty doesn't bite you). Also buy your cat some chewy toys.
Kittens around that age like to bite stuff because they're teething, it gets better as they age.
>>
>>4249144
Try getting even more. If she's really territorial she won't share. It's recommended to have two litterboxes per cat
>>
>>4249156
Just distract him with another toy. Kittens this age do that, it'll pass sooner if you don't let it become a habit.
>>
File: 20220724_013945.jpg (2.67 MB, 4032x3024)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
he knows bugs go in there and they die, and he brushes himself right in front of it too
>>
>>4249156
Is a kitten and your feet are vaguely kitten sized things, he thinks he's just tackling one of his bros.
I like to get a plush dog toy and when the cat gets feisty grab that toy and let him take his aggression out on that.
>>
>>4248549
It's what they do to spend time and not get bored I guess.
>>
>>4248605
Check out the cat and deworm it again because he probably needs it. Every animal that comes from the street has to be visited by a vet, not only for its health but for yours too.
Start searching for a no-kill shelter or a family that wants to adopt it if you're so pissed off by a cat instead of complaining, you and your brothers look like a bunch of childish schizos. That cat just tries to have a peaceful life and you're acting like you're dealing with some alien creature.
>>
I love my cat!
>>
>>4248959
Nah I don't think so.
>>4249140
I'm sorry this is happening to you.
I assume she is spayed. Could it be the type of box or its size that are bothering her? Do you know what kind of box she used before?
Also get an enzyme cleaner to remove pet urine stink completely, or the cat will never stop using that spot as her litter box replacement.
>>
File: pu.webm (1.95 MB, 672x848)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB WEBM
any /fit/bros here work out with their cats?
>>
>>4249800
Pitbull sisters… we can’t compete

*ACK*
>>
File: Frqn0cv_grande.jpg (45 KB, 600x450)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20220725_111954_HDR.jpg (1.71 MB, 4160x2340)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
Mother and grandmother stopped by solely to destroy any feeding habits I'm trying to teach little Buryat
Now she doesn't eat dry food and is very sceptical towards pouches
I guess pork chops are better than dry food
>>
how do I find some cats to test my product idea on? local shelters said no because they don't want to add to their cats' stress. so my only options are cat owners and breeders
>>
>>4250485
Get your own kots
>>
>>4250501
would love to but landlord doesn't allow it
>>
>>4249118
chiggen
>>
>>4250485
What product? If it's safe you can just ask people in your area online, especially if you offer something in exchange (chocolate will often do)
>>
>>4250356
I want to know why they dont make mouse/bug/lizard flavored cat food.
>>
>>4250748
I have a can of mouse-flavoured gastrological food, the cat is completely uninterested
>>
A stray cat we like to feed has killed a very young blue jay today, it got to my spouse a lot... I love cats to death but only indoor ones, they don't belong outside.
>>
>>4250856
Lol, what did your braindead spouse expect? It's a fucking carnivore. Of course it will kill shit
>>
File: s.jpg (48 KB, 650x978)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
im gonna do it
>>
>>4248182
i couldnt recall a stink from sphynxes, you can smelle the skin directly tho vs smelling the fur, so maybe thats a stink to someone, not for me, just very warm slinky thing that loved sleeping next to me in the winter
>>
Trying to help a homeless cat, know nothing about cats and can't learn fast enough. I have a desire to keep him but folks say he can't come home and no one I've been able to contact yet can house him, even the shelter is full. No chip. Very friendly.
According to link below it should be brought indoors for safety (his location has medium traffic), yet according to
https://www.thesprucepets.com/what-to-do-if-you-found-a-lost-cat-4692898
>Step 1: Get the cat somewhere safe... see if the cat will come to you readily. If it does, gently pick it up and bring it inside
>inside
As in, must get him indoors?
/kot/, what to do with him tonight? Last night he spent 6hr in a box inside our warehouse before I took him to shelter. I could take him "home and just release him around the neighborhood but he's "centralized" here and I know where to find him.
Anything helps, I'm cattarded. Will answer questions but hoping to figure something out within an hour or two
>>
>>4251080
Timeline:
>Sat PM
>see him in alley outside work late at night
>playful but skinny, not too dirty
>feed him milk and a little meat
>he loves me, rubbing all over
>I go home, leave him in alley
>Sun PM
>Same time as Sat I stop by. He's back.
>More milk + some ground beef
>Read up & decide to take to shelter Mon AM
>Post on Craigs Lost & Found (w/o pic)
>Box & leave in cool warehouse
>Mon AM
>Take to shelter, they're no help
>They tell me:
>he's not chipped,
>they're at capacity, and
>neutering booked out a month
He's under a big porch behind an iron fence, safe unless he wanders out, but it's also in the triple digits here tomorrow :(
Am I losing sleep over nothing? He obviously can't hunt if he's all skin & bones
>>
>>4251096
Can you keep him in your yard? That might help. He'll be fine if you don't do anything though. You've been feeding him but he wouldn't starve anyway and he'll find a cool place to hang out.
>>
>>4251152
Thank you for sharing my concern. Not kidding about losing sleep.
Without somewhere to take him I can:
>Crate him in the warehouse here at work
Redundant, as I'd have let him loose in morning, still have no home for him, and have to work tomorrow.
>Bring him home and let him in my yard
If I can't keep him, seems like a bad idea to introduce him to a new area before vaccines & tests for feline leuk/aids

Really just want to know he's going to be ok for possibly a week or two until I find him a home. He's up against high heat, lowlifes, and traffic.
>>
>>4251169
I'm no cat expert but

I wouldn't crate him. He won't enjoy that. I've taken in 2 alley cats as kittens and never had problems with disease or anything. You can get dewormer and some of the shots at stores and do it yourself. It's easy and doesn't cost much.

Your folks might warm up to him if they pet him in the yard. Even my dad likes a cat if it's not a pissant of a cat, though he claims to hate them. Most people acknowledge they're good for keeping pests away. The indoor/outdoor cat is the most based of all pets.

He'll probably be fine if you do nothing at all, don't worry. He's an animal and will figure it out. Especially if it's only 3 weeks, but if it's only 3 weeks and I'd take him to my yard and chill with him.
>>
>>4251185
Thanks
I crated him for 6hr last night, he was chill about it but kinda confused in AM.
Old man's retired and that leaves kitty at his mercy during the day.
It's probably wrong to get him attached to me before I have a plan. I'll leave him here tonight and if I can't drum up leads for temporary housing, will take him home by Thurs.
Will give update about 18-20hrs from now
>>
>>4251209
Post pics, I want to see him.

I wouldn't worry about the old man. It takes a sick fuck to hurt a cat and he'll just run away from him if needed.
>>
>>4249800
hes not fat hes just built
>>
I love my cat very very much. He has FIV. He stopped eating, only eats a little from my hand sometimes. He hasnt really eaten in two days. He purrs when I pet him, meows when I try to leave his side. He doesn't move much. He slept in the bathtub last night. His breathing is very heavy. He stopped cleaning himself. He doesn't go into the house on his own, prefers to stay in the garden. Doesn't come when called. He goes outside for toilet on his own. This morning he was making a weird sound, looked like he was shivering. I pet him until it stopped. He's only been getting worse for the past 3 weeks. How did you decide it was time to put your cat down?
>>
>>4251359
I went to the vet to see if he could still be saved for cheap. So no stupid expensive blood transfusions.
The vet gave some cheap last resort drugs and gave some subcutaneous fluids for him to feel better.
3 days later he was put down because he also stopped eating, drinking nor slept really well.
It's better to be too early than too late. If you are too late you wished you went earlier.
>>
>>4251380
Thanks anon. It's such a hard decision to make. Sometimes when I walk by he'll just lift his head up and look at me. He looks alive. It makes me terrified of calling the vet, knowing that he'd be dead in a matter of hours if I do it.
>>
>>4251403
Not that anon, but take a couple of days for yourself, spend more time than the usual with your cat. You will understand what to do, what is better for his sake.
>>
Why do cats ALWAYS try their luck to get away with shit that they know they're not allowed to do, even though they should be able to know that it's pointless to even try?

>I know I can't go into this room, but if I just run in VERY QUICKLY before he can close the door, I'll have my way :33

It's like, no, you dumb faggot. There is no future in which you can stay in there for more than 5 seconds before you get thrown out. There hasn't been for YEARS. Yet you STILL try, again and again. WHY?

I never had a dog, but I feel as though a dog would have the capacity to make the connection between "last time I tried this" and "nothing good coming out of it, ever".
>>
>>4251426
Because they aren't submissive dogs
>>
File: Cat.webm (1.9 MB, 480x480)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB WEBM
>>4248554
>Cats are NPCs
congrats for finally figuring this out anon
>>
>>4251436
I'm not even talking about them submitting to my will, just them being unable to make a rational decision that some things are not worth trying, even if they endlessly yield nothing but punishment.
>>
>>4251080
>>4251096
>>4251209
What cat needs is: health check, shots, deworming, and neutering. Also FIV/FeLV test if possible.
If money isn't an obstacle and you can take care of all of that yourself, you're going to improve his life in a significant way.
Keep in touch with the shelter and see if they can reserve a cage for your cat in the future. I'd say it would also be worth trying to put him up for adoption when he's feeling better and you have a precise medical history to present to the possible future owners.
Also yes, any safe space you can put him in for a limited time until you find him a house is better than leaving him to wander and get lost/injure himself while you can't check on him.
Hope everything goes well, I'm waiting for updates!
>>
I need the fanciest cat breeds you got
>>
>>4251492
Ragdoll
>>
I think my cat ate part of a rubber hair tie. I had one and when I came out of the shower i found it ripped up and half of it gone, luckily the metal piece is still on it. What do frens
>>
>>4251492
Norwegian forest cat
>>
>>4251508
i should note he seems fine and is his normal annoying self playing and being a cat, not trying to throw up or whatever
>>
>>4251508
>>4251511
My cat ate the tail of a mouse toy and she was fine so I don't think you should be too worried, but keep monitoring him and his poop, if you notice changes in his mood and anything weird.
How long is the part that he might have ingested?
>>
>>4251513
like 1-2 inches but its a thick rubber hair tie band thing. He eaten a lot fucking worse before, like over a foot of string and he was alright. Just worries me. But he was begging for food and treats and is eating right now so clearly hes not feeling sick
>>
>>4250669
it's a safety accessory. I will try online
>chocolate
uhh...
>>
>>4251514
>>4251513
>>4251511
>>4251508
I'm starting to get in a feedback loop about this from reading shit online. I dont even think the part he ate is long enough to form a knot, could it still obstruct his bowels regardless?
>>
>>4251531
Or you could just call the vet and ask for advice
>>
File: pepe.jpg (62 KB, 976x850)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7909512/
>In the United States of America (USA), 63% of domestic cats are kept entirely indoors
do Americans worry about their cats getting shot?
>>
>>4251574
Isn't it because they share their private properties with wildlife such as foxes, coyotes etc? I haven't read the article, isn't it explaied? Also apparently there are hordes of pitbulls and various dogs that shitty owners fail to take care of.
>>
File: cat1.jpg (458 KB, 1456x2592)
458 KB
458 KB JPG
>>4251486
>>4251212
>>
File: cat2.jpg (574 KB, 1456x2592)
574 KB
574 KB JPG
>>4251649
>>
File: cat3.jpg (306 KB, 1279x1931)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>4251651
>>
File: 5bd738d346d4f.image[1].jpg (77 KB, 1200x960)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
is there something behavioral inherent to black cats?
>>
>>4251658
What about being introduced to other cats? Do they tend to be antisocial?
>>
>>4251652
What an ugly little bastard lol. How's he doing?
>>
>>4247901
why does he look like that
>>
>>4251654
Noisy, but friendly.
>>
>>4251649
>>4251651
>>4251652
He doesn't look that bad. Also cats are thinner when the weather is hot in summer. Provide him water every day
>>
>>4251730
Every cat is different; fur color doesn't bring a set of characteristics and personality traits with it.
When my male black cat was introduced to my second male cat he was hostile and asocial, but he never fight him to the point of injuring him. Nowadays they get along, he's still kinda cold towards the younger cat.
As I said this varies from cat to cat.
>>
>>4251825
Thanks anon. I was asking because I tried to babysit this older kind of ragdoll male cat and as soon as he was dropped off she got very aggressive hissing a lot at him.

The couple was thinking of getting rid of the cat because they got a baby and the cat has been peeing all over the house. I kind of wish I could just adopt him but the couple wouldn't let me babysit the cat because of my cat's reaction even less adopt him :(
>>
File: Rigs.png (808 KB, 586x632)
808 KB
808 KB PNG
>>4250863
Well, the thought behind it was the cat was being fed thus we assumed it would leave the birds alone. It's our fault for setting up the bird food the way we did anyway, so we will work on re-arranging it.

>>4250869
>blablalameowmeowmeow
>as seasoned cat owners
I've had cats everyday of my life since I was three years old I just don't let them go out at all (here, have one of my cat's bleb). I had also never interacted with a stray before this little girl came into our lives, we just had a delusional fantasy that they (bird/cat) could co-exist in our backyard. Kind of sensing a lame presumptuous attitude from you my guy, if you must know I hate dogs.
>>
File: 1657681718680.jpg (121 KB, 441x565)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
What is the best way to get rid of a cat and her kittens from my property, without doing them any harm? I already managed to give away one kitten, but I'm still left with the mom and her 3, of which the mom is now pissing on my car and jumping on it, scratching the paint. Not gonna fly. The kittens are also starting to hide under the hood of my car, and nearly got ran over the other day.
>>
>>4251894
Should also mention that animal control is shady as shit where I live, so I'm not bothering with them. I just want the cats to get off my property and become someone else's problem.
>>
>>4251779
I caved and took him home. Shoot first ask questions later, right? He's doing fine. Fascinated when I let him out into the backyard late last night.

>>4251822
Good to know. He's also young, and his fur's short
>>
>>4251878
What a shitty couple.
Good luck with the cat, hope he gets the happy ending he desrves.

>>4251894
Get familiar with all of them, kittens especially. They have to trust you if you want to successfully catch all 4 and move them somewhere else.
Contact shelters, private non-profit organizations, post adoption announcements (for the kittens)... The mom can just be spayed (when she has weaned the kittens) and released in the same area, also because finding a familt for an adult cat can be a challenge.
>>
>>4251907
The kittens shouldn't be a problem, yeah. I managed to find a home for the 1 within 48 hours of asking, literally just gave it away to one of my neighbors.

To me I wouldn't even give a shit that they're on my property, it's just as of late I've found them around my car nearly getting themselves killed, and the mom pissing on it like I said. I'd like to avoid any early morning kitten fatalities on my way to work, if at all possible. Gonna try spraying citrus around my car, maybe that'll help.
>>
>>4251878
You really need to introduce another cat gradually to a new environment. Doubly so if its another cat's home territory.
Put everything the cat needs in a spare bedroom or bathroom, and let the two cats get used to eachother's smell under the door. Then you can slowly start expanding the cat's access to things and interactions with the other cat and they're more likely to get along.
>>
>>4251907
Thanks anon. No idea what they ended up doing. I really liked that cat.

>>4251937
I'm tried telling that to them but I don't think they understand or have the patience to put up with it? They wouldn't even let him stay. I was willing to give him a room while things calmed down. I was wondering if that was just my cat because she gets along just fine with my corgi who is super chill in the first place.
>>
>>4251947
Your cat and dog are acclimatized to each other.
It is a good example of why its important to socialize your pets when they're young so they don't freak out when they encounter those situations later in life.
>>
>>4248182
they are a lil bit stinky
>>
>>4247710
About a week ago, my cat ran away from home. I got very worried, but thankfully he came back in three days.
I did check him for fleas and ticks, but I didn't see anything so I was just bing chilling you know.
About an hour ago, I saw this big brown bump on his cheek. I took a closer look, and I saw legs moving about. I then realized that it was a tick so I pulled it off his face. That one was about 5mm big. Then I saw another one, which was red. That one was like 2mm big. Then I saw another one, another brown one but also 2mm big. When I pulled that one, I accidentally ripped its body off, leaving the head inside my cat.
I couldn't find any more than just those three, but I KNOW there are more. In the few days my cat has been back home, he's been all over the place. In beds, in carpets, near other cats...
How do I purged them all?
>>
>>4252087
Off the top of my head, a thick layer of vaseline over them will suffocate them out.
>>
>>4251898
Good for you anon. You gonna keep him around? You seem attatched to him already. You'll figure out his favorite spot to be scratched on soon
>>
>>4251426
It's usually a form of play or getting attention
>>
My cat only likes Purina dry cat food and fancy feasts.

However…he has a bad habit of wanting to steal food from me. Doesn’t matter what it is. If it’s mine, it’s ours.
>>
>>4252424
Purina is a good brand, as long as you aren't feeding cat chow. Pro plan or Purina one are both good. Fancy feast is also pretty good, I know we associate it with 'cheap and shitty' food but it's actually been recommended by my vet as a cheap wet option that's healthy.
>>
>>4252087
By getting topical medication from your vet.
>>
i'm planing on getting my first cat soon. i went to do an allergy sitting with some siberians and their kittens and was fine so i'll most likely choose a siberian.
i'll be living in a 1 bedroom apartment in a few weeks, but it's quite spacious.
is a siberian cat suitable for me. ill be working 9 to 5 but i will come back for 30-45 mins during my lunchbreak to play with the cat
>>
>>4250356
is that a russian blue? so cute, i was thinking of getting one
>>
File: 999999-55800249050.jpg (251 KB, 1500x1500)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>4252485
Different anon here, can you criticize Purina Friskies? Always thought I was giving them subpar food but just noticed it says Purina
>>
>>4252749
Friskies is one of their lowest tier foods, I think THE lowest? I think it's like: Friskies, cat chow, purina one, purina pro plan.
Anyway it's okay but Purina one is really cheap still and way better. Purina is a good brand in general because they do lifelong feeding trials and have scientific research backing up their food, but obviously they still make lower quality stuff to capture the "super cheap" market. Also they've made some grain free stuff to grab the "holistic" crowd but we've seen a connection between grain free foods and heart issues. Specifically grain free foods that use pea protein.
>>
>>4252565
I'm not an expert of Siberian cats and I don't know about coexistence with cats for people who are allergic.
Read as much as you can about this breed, from their diet to their special needs if there's any.
I doubt that reliable and legal breeders are willing to do a foster-to-adopt approach to help you understand if the cat is suitable for you; adopting from shelters is quicker and easier, and in most cases you can take the cat back if serious problems where the cat's wellbeing is at risk arise.
>>
why does my cat keep shittin and pissin next to the litterbox instead of in the litterbox? i clean it every day
>>
>>4252771
I do appreciate your opinion on the matter, always wanted to scale up for the sake of my cats but I'm financially tight so I just buy the biggest Friskies bag. One day soon.

>They've made some grain free stuff to grab the "holistic" crowd but we've seen a connection between grain free foods and heart issues. Specifically grain free foods that use pea protein.
I knew grains were important but this is serious stuff, was this was got Blue Buffalo a lot of bad press?

I worry most about my cats teeth lately, need to invest in a tooth brush for cats.
>>
>>4253246
How long ago did the behavior start? Is the litterbox in a remote or passing area? Has your cat recently gone or is going through something stressful (construction, moves, new people/pets in the house, etc.)? It can be something that affected your cat's routine. A tip may be to obtain a second litter and try a new spot, cat may not like the litter's location, or something deranging their daily lives I would need to know a little more first.
>>
Why do cats smell so good? I love smelling cats. I once read that small animals smell good to humans because they're prey. Does my brain consider cats to be food?
>>4252565
I personally wouldn't take only one cat if i were away all day. They can develop separation anxiety if they're alone this long. Perhaps consider getting two? And I'm personally a fan of adopting rather than buying fancy breeds. Siberian cats require alot of brushing and overall haircare. Be prepared for that if you decide to go for it.
>>
File: IMG_20220725_171410_HDR.jpg (3.65 MB, 4160x2340)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
>>4252566
Got her from an internet ad for free, didn't have the opportunity to see the parents, but seems to have all the traits
The area around the pupils is green, so I suspect the eyes will turn green at some point
>>
>>4247810
shtinkyy
>>
File: IMG_20220519_153516.jpg (1.04 MB, 1576x2327)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB JPG
Put him down today. Loved him with all of my heart.
>>
>>4253664
I know that feel.. RIP kot
>>
>>4253318
Yeah blue buffalo was one of the companies that got a lot of shit for it. It's safe to assume that any company which does NOT conduct lifelong feeding trials should not be trusted with your pet's food.

The toothbrushing might be hard since they aren't used to it from a young age, so make sure to go slow with lots of treats/praise.

The Friskies you're giving your cats really only work as a "minimum" - it's basically gonna keep em alive but not thriving, so I hope you know that. How broke are you? Purina cat chow is better than friskies and still stupid cheap. How many cats are you feeding?
>>
File: 1610639636296.webm (179 KB, 576x720)
179 KB
179 KB WEBM
Hello /kot/

Mebbe one of you can help me? >>>/wsr/1238763
>>
>>4253475
>Why do cats smell so good? I love smelling cats. I once read that small animals smell good to humans because they're prey. Does my brain consider cats to be food?
I want to know about this too, my cats smell super good to me sometimes akin to fresh laundry! Considering they hang out in poop boxes and lick themselves all day, they should stink but I never ever think that
>>
>>4253894
>However, we found a strong, gender dependent effect of toxoplasmosis on the pleasantness attributed to cat urine odour (p = 0.0025). Infected men rated this odour as more pleasant than did the noninfected men, while infected women rated the same odour as less pleasant than did noninfected women.
>>
File: 1585970658077.jpg (8 KB, 368x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>4253664
Hugs from me bro, hope your grieving journey goes okay. I too know the feeling, I'd made myself feel better by knowing I loved my little guy as much as I could as well.
>>
>>4252994
the breeder i saw for an allergy sitting has the highest certification from the council she can get. she says her kittens are on dry food i believe
>>4253475
oh okay :(
i can't afford two cats. and i would love to adopt a cat but my allergies normally play up around them, siberians are the only cats where i can sit in a room of 10 of them and have no symptoms whatsoever
>>
>>4254023
I would suggest that, if you can, wait until you can adopt a pair. Introducing another cat to an adult cat is way harder later on.
But perhaps a single kitty will be okay. It depends on the cat. One of mine couldn't care less if I'm home, but my current cat is always miserable when I'm away.
>>
>>4254023
A single cat is okay too. Maybe you should choose one that is not so young anymore (from around 1 year old onwards) and that is independent and will not miss you if you stay away many hours a day.
Just try to be a responsible owner. Do not neglect the cat and always reinforce your bond through play and quality time, starting from a proper nutrition and an enriched environment. This is enough to keep a cat mentally stimulated and happy.
>>
>>4254335
thank you. i know a pair of cats is ideal but i'll be a graduate with not much money living alone for the first time in a new city. i feel like i'd benefit from the company of a cat.
i'll ask my breeder about the temprements of the kittens.
>>4254378
for sure, i'm going to dedicate my apartment window to cat trees and shelves to walk around the room on. and i'll play with them morning and night and during my lunch break too.
i'm honestly aprehensive about getting a cat, i really want one but i want to make sure i can be a responsible owner
>>
>>4247820
He’s so cute!
>>
>>4253664
Hardest thing in the world, I'm sorry you had to do it anon. I'm sure you gave him a great life - now when you're ready, you can give another little guy a great life, too.
>>
>>4254545
Cats in the wild can get all their water from eating critters.
You might want to try mixing a little bit of water in with the wet food to get a bit more hydration.
>>
>tfw have had 2 beautiful voids for a year now
>really want a maine coon
>but know that if I get a kitten it'll just cause unnecessary stress for my cats

what should I do bros?
>>
>>4254676
Thank you I will try this. He was a stray
>>
>>4254545
It's normal in the first days, I guess it has to do with being still dazed to 'remember' to do the basic things.
All the kittens I have fostered had to be tricked into drinking, and in some cases I had to give them water with a syringe, then they started to do it independently once they adjusted to the me and the house.
Leave the water bowl in that same place.
You could also try with shaking a toy on the borders of the bowl to attract his attention.
>>
>>4254714
I stifled my desire to get a third cat because I know it would be stressful for them and for me (I did foster cats in the years though, see post above). Also one of my cats is suffering from stress and a conjunctivitis (he's being treated for it), so it really is better this way. I don't want to make their and my life more complicated.
You are you, anon, think of what would your own risk-benefit ratio be for getting a new cat.
>>
>>4254415
My advice is to get it once you're finally independent and absolutely sure that you want one, to ensure the cat won't end up in a shelter because you couldn't take care of it.
>>
My cat is like a beautiful girl who wants nothing to do with me. When I come home and take a nap she lays on my lap, but other than that I can't pet her for very long before she snaps at me. She spends most of the day hanging around the door trying to escape. Not what I expected out of a Siamese hapa
>>
>>4255099
You must love her for how she is. She might mellow out as she grows up.
>>
>>4255099
Sounds like she need play instead of just petting
>>
>>4254545
My kitten doesn't drink water at all but is healthy. If you're only feeding wet food your cat may not need extra hydration, but of you're worried, and it goes on like this for a while, you can add some extra water to the food or get a cat fountain.
>>
>>4255099
beautifuyl cat
>>
>>4254934
yea for sure, this is why i'm waiting and getting advice, i want to make sure my cat is happy and healthy
my friend has a bengal mix and it's in an apartment and she works like 9am-9pm, i wouldn't want that for my cat
>>
What should I do if I find a really young kitten with closed eyes?
>>
>>4255807
Take him to appropriate rescue center in your area
Keep him warm until them(can use your body heat if you don't have anything else, even a warm water bottle is good)
>>
>>4255807
Give to me.
>>
>>4255807
End it's suffering
>>
Bros last night I had a dream that my cat was peeing on me while we were cuddling and it was giving me a boner. Did I non-ironically get toxo or wtf? It was really disturbing and I still feel disgusted.
>>
Will spraying my couch with citrus spray actually help keep my cat from scratching it
>>
File: IMG_5167.png (2.24 MB, 1000x1333)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB PNG
>>4253246
might be dementia when your cat is old, or a problem with the location of the litterbox, there can be so many sources of this problem, best is to take him/ her to the vet.

>>4253664
sorry to hear, godspeed.

>>4255099
i heard that siamese cats are hardc0re, is she chatty?
>>
File: 20220730_114154.jpg (2.71 MB, 2921x3968)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>4256000
It's not guaranteed but you can try.
Look at how bad my sofa is even with the scratching post I got.
You can probably somewhat teach them not to scratch the furniture when they're kittens, but adult cats will hardly stop.
>>
>>4255807
If you don't have the money to take it to a vet, do this >>4255967
>>
>dumbass cat gets stung by a bee
>comes crying towards be but starts hissing when I reach out to check her paw for a stinger
Like, bitch, what the fuck do you want from me?
>>
>>4256036
She's a little over two years old now. Had her since 8 weeks, the whole time her scratching was never an issue because I didn't have furniture in my place but now living with my gf she's getting pissed because the cat's been scratching up the new couch.
And the gf just went off at me because I don't smack my cat when she acts up.
>>
>>4255978
That's way above toxo's paygrade. You're just a zoophile.
>>
My cats are very affectionate, but after thinking about it, I don't think I could prove that they're more intelligent than rats.
>>
>>4249800
GOMAD?
>>
>>4256042
Fuck. So how do I teach her to pee on me then?
>>
>>4256039
It hurts if you touch her paw. Best would be taking her to a vet if the swelling increases.
>>
>>4256135
I didn't touch he paw though, she's just a pussy and this was the first time she'd ever experienced actual pain. I managed to pull it out after bribing her with food though, let's just hope her immune system isn't as much of a pussy as she is and I don't have to take her to the vet over a bee sting of all things.
>>
>>4256011
Your kotters are very pretty
>>
File: IMG_20220730_192041_621.jpg (451 KB, 1920x2560)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
I saw this cat a long time ago, only the once, peeping in my kitchen window. Don't know where it went and no one in my neighborhood owns it. I'll always think about it from time to time.

Anyone know what kind of cat it is from the face?
>>
>>4256325
Mutt
>>
>>4256325
A domestic shorthair/mixed breed tabby cat.
>>
My neighbors cat has been living in my yard since they moved in a few weeks ago. The cat doesn't seem to like them much. I noticed he has an open sore above his eye. I'm not sure I should bother telling them because they seem neglectful and standoffish. I feel like I should go bring him to a vet but it's not my cat.
>>
>>4256481
Just tell them and see how they respond, so you can get an idea of their give-a-fuck level.
If they're really so neglectful I bet they wouldn't even notice that their cat has disappeared for hours because a stranger took him to the vet.
>>
>>4251574
Seems like responsible behavior. Letting your pet outside unsupervised is asking for a disaster
>>
File: fat idiot.jpg (320 KB, 966x1288)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
cat is fat
how to make not fat
>>
>>4256641
Regulate their diet. Play with it more
>>
I'd like to get a cat, but I don't think I could handle it.
>>
>>4256667
Figured as much. She's never really been one to play though; a lot of the times I try she just sits there and stares even though I'm waving string/feather wand/laser pointer around.
>>
My girl's cat whom I've seen grow up and love very much has started doing something new that's as amazing as it is startling to us and I wanted to ask here bc I feel it's unsafe for her

Hecate is a black thin female cat. She's very graceful and slight, agile and light to the touch. Always been an outstanding climber and acrobat. When we used to live under the rooftops she'd get the roof blocks for a playground and never once has she fallen or missed a jump. More recently we moved into another place with no roof access but two windows on the same wall roughly 3 meters apart on the 4th floor.

Recently hecate's been traveling from one window to the other, from the outside of the building, using a tiny catwalk that's about as thin as the cat itself (around 10 cm) bulging out from the brickwork outside. My gf was amazed that her baby's always finding ways to do the acrobat and that was cute, but even if I don't doubt hecate's kills in keeping balance and shits, if she fell that'd be a goodbye letter and we dont want that.

How stupid is it to let the fucker do her thing ?
>>
>>4256672
I knowliteral wretches handling having a cat fairly well. I'm convinced anyone can do it.
>>
File: 1659237102977-1.jpg (83 KB, 480x360)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
look here
keep looking
>>
>>4256806
I'm feeling sleepy. Are you gonna molest me?
>>
>>4256788
Yeah the risk zero doesn't exist, and cats always landing on their feet is a big fat meme.
Put shelves for cats inside instead and let her get used to that.
>>
>>4256788
Please post pics of hecate
I love this type of cat
>>
>>4256790
Not if you have the mentality "cat = a cuddle pillow that sleeps all day, needs just food and a litter box".
And a lot of people have this mentality, this is why their cats are all lazy, obese or stressed and destructive.
>>
File: IMG_20210319_201505.jpg (2.02 MB, 3120x4160)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>4257087
There she is.... I don't have many pics of her
>>
File: 1659280602012.jpg (1.43 MB, 4032x3024)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
Just noticed some redness on my cat's face today, does this look like a nosebleed to anyone else? He's not acting any differently and doesn't seem to be in pain, and he's an indoor cat so I don't know what he could've gotten into. Not sure if this is something I have to worry about.
>>
>>4257209
He has to be put down. rip
>>
File: IMG_20220531_144736364.jpg (2.55 MB, 4000x3000)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
>>4256124
Like this?
>>
>>4257221
When people say to open your third eye they probably didnt mean this
>>
>>4257223
lmao
>>
>>4257211
:(
>>
File: 1659282393204.jpg (873 B, 43x32)
873 B
873 B JPG
So im looking for an auto food dispenser for my cat, whats the nicest one they make, features I would like are wi fi actuation and water dispensing too
>>
File: PXL_20220731_154739911.jpg (2.43 MB, 3024x3466)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
Got her one year ago today :)
>>
File: cat and fish.png (92 KB, 968x845)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
>>4249156
>>
>>4257209
It looks just red, maybe it's an allergy?
I don't think it's something to be worried about but keep an eye on him.
>>
>>4257239
Cute! I love her eyes
>>
File: PXL_20220731_154327234.jpg (2.92 MB, 3664x3024)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>4257299
:)
>>
File: cat.jpg (89 KB, 900x473)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
How to stop this? It's literally become a fire hazard with some of my cables sparking and smoking, and me having to replace them.

I tried spraying the cables with vinegar water, and covering some of them with a mesh sheath, but because of how inflexible those are, they make the cables fray even faster making them more of a fire hazard.
>>
>>4247901
the bridge of his nose looks like it needs to be scratched.
>>
File: 1584924669864.png (87 KB, 886x806)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>4257440
Bitter apple spray.
>>
>>4257454
I don't think they sell that at the grocery store. Would apple cider vinegar work?
>>
>>4249118
>My litterbox
>My DUNE
>>
>>4251492
You cannot handle my fanciest breeds, traveler.
>>
Was going to ask this in the dog general but they are talking about bestiality and veganism and not dogs

My folks got an Australian shepherd that is now a little under two years old and I want to get a kitty soon. The dog is very friendly and personable and always wants to play, but is a bit rough with the squeaky stuffed chew toys. His herding instinct seems very strong and might not leave an animal alone that wants to be alone. Does anybody in kot know if they have a predator drive that is too strong to live with cats? I figured I could at least raise a kitty to not mind the attention the dog might give it.
>>
Does anyone else spend hours hunting bugs with their cat? There’s nothing more satisfying than watching your cat gobble down a fly you helped kill.
>>
File: cimimonomimoim.png (523 KB, 472x635)
523 KB
523 KB PNG
my kot
no teef
>>
File: IMG_20220731_184940.jpg (970 KB, 1564x1564)
970 KB
970 KB JPG
>>4257644
>>4257657
>>4257658
>>4257673

Depends on the dog. Picrel loves to destroy squeak toys and chase/maim squirrels but understood the difference immediately. We made sure to spend time reinforcing "these are your babies, be gentle" for the first few weeks of course. She was a bit older & had some cat experience though. She did 'mouth' them a lot, like gently putting her mouth around them when we held them up to her. I think to kinda get a feel for them, dog mouths are like their hands. Hands with knives, so still gotta be careful.

check the AKC website. Shepherd types are usually pretty good about "defend my family/livestock"
>>
>>4257738
Idk, my dog is half collie half St. Bernard. We didn't stress to hard about her being gentle, it was just automatic. I'm trying to think of a good test to check the aussie.

The whole natural predator is more about out in the wild. Collies are farm dogs. Cats have a place on the farm.
>>
>>4257668
Baby, adorable.
>>
>>4257738
>Instincts are instincts, a smart animal can try to resist them and remember what it was taught or you can try and get them confused with conditioning but one moment of stress or confusion and it's over
Inaccurate. Or, maybe what I'm saying is some dogs' instinct is like pic related. We've got another cat who wasn't raised with her and he bats the hell out of her face and hisses if she gets too near. Happened hundreds of times. She just backs off and looks at us like "what did I do wrong?" I don't think my dog is some special 'saint-of-the-cats'; there must be more like her where the default is being friendly with cats.
>>
Hello
Any cat expert here can you tell me why is my cat underweight despite the fact he eats well? I took him to a vet and he said there is nothing wrong with him but I dont buy it
Siamese
Male
5.5 pounds
1 Year old
>>
Just caught a stray cat
>3 months ago, this cat comes to my windowsill
>I try to hangout with him but he leaves
>Lose one of my cats the next day, and then have 0 contact with this stray cat for 3 months
>3 months go by, we get in contact with someone that's been taking care of our cat on their patio
>We are given her back
>A week goes by and the cat from 3 months prior visits one of our windows (Let's call him Oreo for the sake of the story)
>Oreo runs off as my friend got scared by them suddenly appearing
>Oreo shows up a week later
>I go outside, pet him
>Make the mistake of trying to pick him up by his scruff (he is a huge cat)
>He hisses and growls, runs about a foot away and then comes back and jumps on my leg, scratching it in the process
>Runs to neighbors yard, I chicken out and only watch him from a distance until he leaves
>Next night, 3 A.M, one of my cats growl and hiss
>I turn my flashlight on and see Oreo outside the window
>Hangout with him for a while with a thick coat, thinking of catching him
>Too scared to try anything, so I just let him hang around me for a bit as he nuzzles me and gives me a small love nibble
>He decides it's time to go
>Stay up with some tuna in my hand hoping he comes back
>Next night, no sign of oreo. I leave food out just in case
>Tonight, I decide to replace the food. As I'm going out, I notice Oreo is coming around my windowsills.
>Must have been fated
>I return inside, get a cage and come out
>I just hangout for a bit with Oreo until he decides he wants to get in the cage
>Cover it with a blanket and bring him inside

Now I have this new cat, who is neutered. However, he does not have a collar and is extremely grimy from the dirt. I put flea medication on him.
I'm planning on bringing him in sometime this week ASAP but I'm wondering what brought him back. I do not know if Oreo has any owners, and if so I will get in contact with them, but I want to keep him. He's not a feral that's for sure.
>>
>>4257893
Let the cat go before the owners track it down and beat your dumb ass for kidnapping their pet. There’re thousands of cats up for adoption, pick one of those.
>>
>>4257897
>track it down and beat your dumb ass for kidnapping their pet
I don't live in some sort of crazy area where someone's going to murder me for taking in a cat I believe was a stray. Especially with how dirty and persistent it was. Should've put a collar on him if they wanted to let the neighborhood know it's just an outdoor cat, and if they're going to be at my windowsill for some nights in a row, I'm taking them in until I can get them scanned.
>>
>>4257644
>>4257657
>>4257733
My great grandmother, grandmother and family always kept dogs with cats and they always got along well dogs in question were:
>Labrador
>Retriever
>Great dane
>Dachshund
>Westie
>Yorkshire terrier
>Spitz/CKCS mix

Obviously if you get one of the more aggressive attack/hunting/fighting breeds it might be a different story, but the majority of dogs will be fine. The great dane even had my great grandfather's 19 year old cat introduced as an adult and she got along fine with it.
>>
>>4257644
You can try an insect test on him
My dog treats cats the same way he treats insects - with love. He sees a bug, he wants to smell and lick it (may end up eating it, but you can tell that was not the intention), and it was the same with cats. Another dog would always hunt insects to eat them instantly and was bad with kots. Obviously that's not a 100% accurate test, but it tells you a little of how dog will react to a smaller animal.
>>
>>4257867
Is he outdoors and walks/runs a lot?
Is he dewormed?
Or maybe that's just how his body type is, like a human with a fast metabolism that appears underweight and skinny.
It's impossible to know the reason without further visits and exams. Maybe a blood test to rule out diseases would help.
>>
>>4257893
Post pics of Oreo!
>>
>>4257961
Pretty sure its just a matter of properly socialising and training your dog...
>>
>>4257901
Collars can be dangerous for outdoor cats as they can get caught on objects as the cat is traversing the environment... the biggest indicator for if a cats a stray is definitely the physical condition of the animal and not the presence of a collar.
>>
>>4258061
Most cat collars are designed to release the cat if it gets stuck or caught on something. Will probably lose the collar really fast, however.
>>
File: 1650371613154.png (1.37 MB, 1080x1308)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>4258060
>Pretty sure its just a matter of properly socialising and training your dog...
>>
File: IMG_20220801_103158_HDR.jpg (2.71 MB, 4160x2340)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
Kittens are such gremlins
>>
This idiot. Why did she chose to sleep this way
>>
>>4258272
Because she knew you would have taken a pic of her and posted it here for all of us to see the cuteness.
>>
>>4249156
It's too late. I can see the savage bloodlust of insatiable berserker rage emanating from his eyeballs.
>>
File: 547234623.jpg (2.32 MB, 4624x3468)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
Here's Gavin. A year and 3 months and a whiny, needy and greedy loveable asshole.
>>
>>4256790
Well there is already a cat in the appartement I've move in a few weeks ago. I don't know it would react to the other cat.
>>
Does your cat react when you come home with the smell of another cat that you petted on the street
>>
Kinda want to paint hitlerina either pink like the pink panther or orange with stripes like a tiger
>>
Trying to figure out my adopted cat's birthday. The adoption papers show she was taken in on May 8 2019. The photo shows her as a kitten without her eyes open but I'm not sure how old she was at the time. At the time she did not look 2 months old
>>
I just rescued a cat from from a busy street.
I don't know what to do.
She is just grooming herself right now, don't show signs of begin an outdoor cat, no fleas, skin issues and she only sneezed two times when I took her inside. I fear that she has the average dirt ear and some anxiety thanks to the different environment.

She is just chilling in my bed right now, and feels more safe here for some reason, but I'm worried about her breathing ( maybe it's the anxiety).

What kind of food can I give to her? Maybe 100 gr of cooked chicken breast?

Cats only groom themselves when they feel safe, right?
>>
>>4258856
My cat is curious of all smells from outside, but I never saw a different reaction if i pet another cat
>>
>>4258999
Okay, serious question, is it not common to microchip your cat in other countries? Locally the first thing i do after finding a stray is take it to vet to check for a chip. Either way, it would be a good idea to take it to a vet regardless, and if it's chipped you'll know that it has an owner.
>>
>>4258999
Take her to to a vet for a checkup, she probably needs basic treatments for fleas and ear mites anyway.
Yes you can give her cooked chicken and meat in general, no salt and no seasonings. Cat food whether wet or dry is fine, just try to avoid super cheap brands (like Friskies or Whiskas), they're not good at all.
Cats groom themselves also when they try to relax in a stressful situation.
>>
>>4258856
They smell ne for a longer time but no crazy reactions. Maybe because I pet the strays here everyday and they got used to the smell.
>>4258927
Small like a hamster, folded ears and closed eyes... she was probably nor older than 14 days in that picture.
>>4258821
He's a beautiful cat.
>>4259117
Here in my country it is recommended to microchip cats too but very few people do it; in one region it is apparently mandatory since 2020.
Chipping is less common with cats as it is with dogs.
>>
>>4259120
Here it's mandatory for all dogs, but I'm not sure if it is for cats. Regardless, having a cat chipped is a very popular option as well.
>>
>>4259117
They don't that here in Brazil.

>>4259118
I don't have money to keep a pet since I'm broke and my parents hate animals.
My mother is mad here nagging about that she don't want a cat.
>>
File: 1555688595200.jpg (35 KB, 500x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>Take kot to vet because she scraches her earrs way too much and look redish now
>Vet tels me it might be cancer
>Had to leave her there so they can run some tests
>They said it may take a hour or 2 and then call me
I'm not ready for this yet
>>
>>4259267
I hope it's nothing serious and that can be treated with medicines, keeping my fingers crossed
>>
>>4257749
>>4257738
What he's referring to as instinct is actually called prey drive. Some breeds of dogs have an overwhelming urge to chase and bite small fast-moving creatures. An Australian Shepherd is one of those breeds.

It doesn't matter how much your dog loves the cat or how well behaved it is, if the cat triggers its prey drive and it catches the cat that cat is going to get injured. It's the same story as pibbles. People need to stop confusing an animal's personality under normal conditions with their instinctual drives.
>>
File: 20220802_175449.jpg (2.99 MB, 4032x3024)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB JPG
>>4259279
Her Bones are fine Xray comformed, Was little cloudy around her joints but she's 16 so it's nothing serious for her age
Doc told me to use some skin care cream on her ears for a few days too see if it changes
She's very unhappy now. Gonna go back tomorrow when the blood tests results are back
>>
File: 20220802_180912.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024)
3 MB
3 MB JPG
>>4259279
>>4259313
Not sure why the reason to keep that thing on her foot tho, It clearly annoys her a lot.
I aint doctor but I just dont like it.
>>
>>4259322
No, I'm sorry, that's not correct.
The prey drive I am referring to is specifically one centered around chasing and biting fast moving small creatures, not the hunting drive of a hound. That can be children, cats, anything that fills those two requirements. The main difference with bully breeds is that they shake after biting.
>>
>>4259354
>It is. Or else greyhounds would be one of the absolute worst breeds for biting children, because they were bred to kill small animals
It's funny you mention that, because Greyhounds are commonly rehomed for aggression against children and small animals.

>"muh prey drive pibbles" is a pitbull owner cope for trying to handwave their aggressive behavior
You've got it backwards. People that think the problem with dog aggression is the dog's personality and normal behavior are the ones that get fooled into thinking their dog is nice so it won't attack prey. Any dog breed with a high prey drive needs to be physically controlled at all times.
>most dogs won't attack a cat standing its ground
because a cat standing still isn't triggering a prey drive, what part about "small and fast moving" aren't you getting?
>>
>>4259366
>Greyhounds are notoriously good for children, just not small animals.
The same is true of bully breeds, they were the go-to nanny dog for quite a while. I don't disagree that bully breeds are more dangerous than Greyhounds, but we're splitting hairs here. The real issue is that you're refusing to recognize what a prey drive is and that attitude leads to a lack of vigilance. It leads to people seeing a lack of aggression in a dog's baseline behavior as meaning it won't attack children or pets.
>Dogs view us as other dogs
Bro, no. No they don't. That has nothing to do with anything but dogs do not think we're large hairless dogs.

>Non-pitbull dogs know what their prey is.
This is wrong and dangerous to believe.

this is a cat thread
An Australian Shepherd is likely to have its prey drive triggered if the cat moves the wrong way. It is a risk.
>>
>>4252087
Vaseline where there is the head. Impossible for the tick to breathe so dies, then you can safely remove it.

Remember that the head of a tick is like a harpoon. Do not try to do it in a straight line, but turn it around. A twizzer is a good alternative. It will always happen, just check your cat every week. Sometimes their odd behavior is explained by these fucking ticks fucking up with them.
>>
File: 1420658961462.jpg (53 KB, 500x383)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>4259381
>I'm not even reading your replies
Ok
>>
File: 1398886628682.jpg (37 KB, 460x345)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
So I love cats but haven't had one for a few years now since my parents didn't want a new cat after my old cat died.

I'm moving out soon to a 64m2 flat with a balcony on the 4th floor, and I'm wondering if that's big enough for a cat to live in? Our other cats have always been outside cats, and it feels a little cruel keeping a cat locked indoors in such a small apartment.

What's /an/'s take on this?
>>
File: IMG_20220511_095442.jpg (638 KB, 4624x2600)
638 KB
638 KB JPG
Why do you call cats „kot”?
Genuine kocur for reference.
>>
>>4259579
Leash train and take your cat out for a half hour or so, maybe longer on days off.
Bring a book or something to listen to.
You don't need to walk anywhere, just let your cat sniff and explore and patrol a bit and be the lookout.
>>
>>4252749
All purina food is trash tier, even their pro line.
>>
File: 1659478666977.jpg (1.24 MB, 1976x935)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
Just put her down. 21 years... It hurts, bros...
>>
File: f.jpg (15 KB, 320x181)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>4259687
RIP. Sorry anon, at least she's not suffering any more.
>>
>>4259687
I'm sorry to hear it, just put down my cat due to hepatic hypertrophy/failure
I know it's meager consolation but 21 years is ancient for a cat, she lived a long life.
>>
>>4259711
>>4259723
Thanks, bros. She would've kept going if it wasn't for the kidney failure... Blind and deaf as she was, she could still find her way down and up a flight of stairs to use the litter box and make her way back to the couch.
>>
File: 1582333939998.jpg (27 KB, 400x323)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>beloved kot died 4 years ago
>haven't had the heart to adopt another one since
>have dream of a kot kneading on my chest
>wake up with a gigantic feeling of longing
Maybe it's time.
Related but probably stupid question but if I get a bonded pair this time am I correct in thinking that they'll be better at entertaining and figuring themselves out while I'm at work?
>>
>>4259656
What's high tier?
>>
>>4252424
lick lick lick
>>
>>4259584
russians are in this website and this general right now, anon. thats why they call it kot.
>>
>>4260149
It's not russian-only term. Other slavs use it too.
>>
https://www.cats.org.uk/support-us/thecatmag/thecat-history

oldest cat magazine in the world I believe. have a look at some of their old issues starting from 1931
>>
an excerpt from the Jan 1934 issue
>>
from the same page. how did they manage that haha
>>
File: 1545772169331.jpg (26 KB, 150x150)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
the oft quoted statistic about outdoors cats living 2-5 years comes from studies on mostly feral cats who unsurprisingly live very short lives.
there has not been any scientific research done on the average lifespan of house based outdoor cats with access to food, shelter and medical care
>>
>>4259584
>>
>>4260234
>already raising awareness in 1930
Pretty based
>>
>>4251451
The cat is a fag but the rat is really badass!
>>
>>4260085
PrimaCat or generally anything that doesn't have wheat, sugar and onions but has good amount of taurine and vitamin A plus other nutrients.
>>
>>4260311
>onions
why the hell did I type onions? I meant onions.
>>
>>4260312
Yeah when you type in onions it puts out onions :^)
>>
>>4259579
I think it's fine to have an indoor cat if the owner isn't a lazy shitter that can't find 20 minutes a day to play with their cat. Also enriching the environment helps a lot (cat trees, shelves, beds and scratching posts).
>>4259939
Usually it's what kot experts recommend, yeah. But then each person has to think according to their own life, the space in the house and economic situation are two big factors to consider imo.
>>4260255
Yeah I can believe this. I'm witnessing this with my semi-feral (spayed) cat here that has been around for more than 5 years and is as healthy as ever. She hangs out here and eats our food buy doesn't want to have any physical contact with humans.
>>4260312
You meant s.oy? You should know that 4chan filters that word if you aren't a newfag.
>>
>>4260312
How new are you? Go back.
>>
Cats are so weird. They're literally designed to be one of the most dangerous predators on the planet. They're basically a modern day tyrannosaurus rex, and can genocide entire populations of birds.

Yet humans fucking love them. I don't understand why, but they're fucking great.
>>
File: 1606606707222.jpg (82 KB, 795x1194)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>4260373
they're cute
>>
>>4260379
That's what I don't understand. Psychologically speaking, cuteness should be associated with harmlessness. Yet cats are the most dangerous predators out there. It's really fascinating to me.
>>
>>4260373
They somehow became total goofballs with time I guess. Also anyone who doesn't find purring extremely endearing is just crazy
>>
Whenever I take off my shoes or slippers, my cat smells them for hours. Is this normal?
>>
File: 20220726_170229.jpg (1.92 MB, 1814x2419)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>4247710
My little floofball who I almost lost earlier this year to a uterine infection. One emergency surgery and $900 dollars later she is just as happy and healthy as can be. Looking forward to 15 more years
>>
>>4260469
It is for mine, one of them even chews on the heels, looks like I own a dog
>>
more people need to realise that cats don't stop meowing to other cats after kittenhood. feral cats that have never interacted with or been owned by humans, meow to each other all the time.
out of the 5 ferals I take care of, 3 regularly meow to each other loud enough that I can hear. one of the boys likes to chirp more than meow however.
but what's also intriguing is that those three randomly began meowing/chirping to me as well after 2 years

it is my belief that cats by default will meow to other cats all throughout their life and can choose to do this to humans too once they've gained their trust.
this misconception could be due to the fact that we might not be able to hear their meows due to the extremely low frequency they might doing them at, akin to purring. along with the fact that scientific studies aren't really carried out on feral/street cats
(all my cats are TNR'd btw)

here's a video showing what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrkxfDNabk
>>
>>4260532
I trained my cat to meow at me when he's hungry, but only if I say the word "hungry" first
>>
>>4260600
lmao what a predicament you've put him in
>>
>do anything ever
>cat wants to lay on top of me
>>
File: 20220713_131030.jpg (737 KB, 1613x1210)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
>>4260611
I think what he's learned is that when he's hungry, when I say the word "hungry" it means I'm about to feed him, and he gets excited and starts meowing
But I like to pretend that he's responding to my "are you hungry?" question with an affirmative
>>
based
>>
>>4260622
>But I like to pretend that he's responding to my "are you hungry?" question with an affirmative
you'd be surprised by his intelligence. also cute fella
>>
>>4260532
My cats are either exceptionally vocal or they really love me because I've never known a time where they didn't meow at me. Even the one I adopted off the street has been meowing at me since he first came in.
>>
>>4260661
yes housecats and former strays meow at you because they both love you and see you as part of their family.
but even cats that have lived their entire lives on the street will start meowing at people once they build a relationship. if they meow unprovoked at people then they must meow at other cats as well.
it's not some instinctual response that only activates upon seeing a human face like most people seem to think
>>
File: mr_toffee1.jpg (219 KB, 1212x909)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
>>4260339
>>4260340
>>4260365
>wordfilter
I should've known and now I've brought eternal shame upon myself. Anyway, here's a picture of my cat.
>>
>>4260754
You're going to have to post more pics of your cat before you're forgiven, onions boy.
>>
My cat had kittens. What color is this?
>>
>>4260782
Looks gray to me.
>>
>>4258821
I fucking love him, I love kots so much i want to pet all kots, even tigers
>>
What's the longest time you'll leave your cat alone for without anyone to look after it?
>>
>>4260311
What the fuck, their wet food is so cheap. Is it really that good? Unfortunately they don't seem to offer kitten food in my country, but I'll totally try it once my cat is older
>>
>>4260469
Yes, they're smelling new stuff since shoes touch many different smell
>>4261013
Half a day because I'm not free feeding him
>>
>>4261034
Why not get an automatic feeder?
>>
Whenever I feed my cat wet food, she'll lap up the juices like crazy, but doesn't seem very interested in the actual meat of it at all. She nibbles a bit here and there but doesn't seem to care much.
How long is too long for leaving this food sit out, and is there anything I could do to make her more interested?
>>
>>4261052
One day (like 12-16 hours). The only thing that will make her more interested is actual hunger. My cat does it too. He'll eat the meat eventually if I give him nothing else all day.
>>
Guys my cat might be retarded. He wanted to drink from my cup but he has his own cup on the floor. So I finished my drink and put the cup down upside down now he's tipped it over and sticking his dirty paw in it trying to dig out some water.
>>
Do people unironically like cats? Why?
>>
File: PXL_20220804_120456705.jpg (3.91 MB, 3024x4032)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
Look at my cat
>>
>>4261103
some people just are retarded
>>
>>4261050
Not an option for wet food
>>
>>4261103
They're funny
>>
>>4261103
They're smarter than dogs
>>
>>4261217
incorrect. we like cats because they are dumber than dogs.
>>
>>4261013
I think less than half a day.

>>4261080
He is just very curious about what you do and the items you use. If he's a young cat or a kitten this is normal.
>>
>>4261125
That belly requires kisses.
>Captcha: K0THT
>>
>>4261013
Two days. I’m going to Thailand for a week in a month. I’m trying to figure out what to do with the fuckers.
>>
>>4261273
Drop them off here, I'll take care of them
>>
>>4261273
Call a relative or a friend to come over once or twice a day, or hire a catsitter.
>>
Ori would like to say hola to everyone and their kots
>>
theres a cat that lives outside that has all 4 legs but only walks on 3 of them. it keeps its front left paw curled up at all times

the neighbor said the cat was injured at a young age and after that never walked on that paw again. the injury was a year ago apparently

is it possible that kitty could be fixed if someone took it to a vet, or is it a lost cause
>>
n ew

>>4261865
>>4261865
>>4261865
>>
>>4261861
Hello :3

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.