[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is there a creature that can throw better than a human?
>>
>>4170002
No and it isn’t even close
>>
It is one of our superpowers.
>>
>>4170002
Just us I think.

Wtf I love throwing now. I'm gonna go practice my throwing skill
>>
you'd think other animals would evolve into throwing rocks because it is a cheat code to become apex predator
>>
>>4170002
not better, but if any animal had to come close to us, it would be other apes and monkeys. though they likely wouldn't have the coordination or even just will to make throws particularly hard, fast, and/or precise.
>>4170190
if any animal was going to weaponize rocks, it would probably be birds of prey/corvids, though it wouldn't really be "throwing" so much as "dropping". but birds are no strangers to dropping environmental objects for their own benefit.
>>
>>4170202
>though they likely wouldn't have the coordination or even just will to make throws particularly hard, fast, and/or precise.
don’t chimpanzees throw their shit at people?
>>
>>4170002
Apes and monkeys can throw but its not really coordinated or powerful.
>>
>>4170205
that's why I said they come close to us. primates (monkeys and apes, because I don't know if lemurs have the mental capacity for it) are probably the only mammal group that will actively throw objects. but on average (which isn't saying they can't be precise sometimes, because it's certainly possible), they do not coordinate and strengthen their throws as much as we do. if you were to give a pile of rocks to a man and a chimp and direct the man (and do your best to direct the chimp) to hit a person, the man might not only think about his aim and the strength of his throw, but he would also consider adjusting his throws as he makes each one. the chimp, meanwhile, may just throw the rock and hope it hits the chimp's target before picking up the next rock and doing it all again, or being content with throwing the rock once.
in general, animals using ranged attacks is a very rare phenomenon, and the amount of animals that throw objects is even rarer. and a lot of them will not try to be precise, because they are trying to hit you and hope that does the job, rather than determining what they need to hit to either wound you, kill you, or make you fuck off.
>>
>>4170002
>>4170211
Is there really a conceptual difference between a man throwing stones and an archerfish spitting water or a cobra spitting venom, though? I don't think it's a fundamentally different act just because we do it with our arms and they with their mouths, it still requires the same skills in terms of being able to aim and calculate trajectories and the like.
>>
>>4170231
Archer fish and cobras spit, they dont throw
>>
>>4170239
Spitting is just throwing with your mouth
>>
>>4170246
Nah
>>
I feel like otters throw things. Idk
>>
>>4170407
So do great apes but with zero accuracy and not nearly the force
>>
>>4170246
Not at all. Accurately throwing requires a combination of fine and gross motor skills, and the use of multiple muscle groups.

Spitting, on the other hand, is a simple skill that many animals do, including camels and lamas.
>>
Woodchucks
>>
>>4170190
Throwing rocks alone doesn't do much. You need to evolve the ability to craft spears alongside throwing.
>>
>>4170719
Spears are great but even just a good fist sized rock will fuck shit up if you've got a good arm. Early hominids probably got a lot of value out of whinging rocks at competing predators to drive them off a kill or make them think twice about trying to steal babies or whatever. It's just not the kind of thing any other species on the planet can really pull off effectively.
>>
i bet you could teach elephant to throw with its trunk with both power and accuracy. however no predator is a threat to an adult elephant so there's no pressure for them to learn it on their own.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.