[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 60 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1649440459798.jpg (144 KB, 1000x666)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
How dangerous are wolves really? They seem friendly enough.
>>
They are lethal. They may seem friendly but to whom and what conditions are they under? Are they well fed? Are they with their own kind? Anything can appear friendly enough under the right conditions. But remember that these are pack creatures. They hunt as a pack. One will devastate you, two will tear you to shreds, and three is a nightmare. Get them hungry enough, or make them feel threatened in any even minor way: You're done.
>>
>>4169672
They are exactly as dangerous as they want to be. They're not like big cats, they're more intelligent than instinct driven so their behavior can vary a lot.
>>
Safer than a shitbull
>>
>>4169683
Ignorance disgusts me.
>>
>>4169686
Its true. A wolf will only attack with clear warning. A pitbull will always attack without clear warning. That alone makes them 100x safer.

A wolf will attack in proportion to the threat because they have a self preservation instinct. A pitbull has no self awareness and no mind to speak of, it just bites and holds on until it isn't on, and then it bites and holds on again, even if it's bleeding out and has a knife in its eye.
>>
>>4169688
this and pitbulls gladly attack adults solo. wolves aren't ballsy enough to go for an adult unless there's a pack.

wolves and wolfdogs are way more dangerous to other animals than they are to people, because animals can't/refuse to recognize the signs that they're about to get #rekt and most likely eaten.
>>
>>4169692
>wolves aren't ballsy enough to go for an adult unless there's a pack.

Ohhh I get it now, you're retarded and don't know anything about what you are talking about! Got it. Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>4169710
Most lone wolves will NOT attack an adult male unless they are very hungry or he is ignoring very clear warnings to fuck off. A pitbull is literally more dangerous because it will go for your face and fight until it dies just because a twig snapped.

Wolves, in a pack, however, will attack without warning because you're in their territory or they want a snack.
>>
>>4169679
They're just big dogs dude one kick in the neck and they're over with
>>
>>4169715
Only applies if you actually have strong legs, and 4chan faggots don't get out of their chairs so good luck with that.
>>
>>4169721
/fit/ is a board
>>
>>4169715
The thing is while you're kicking the one wolf, two of his buddies are pouncing on your back.
1v1 an adult who isn't a total piece of shit will probably win, but wolves travel in packs arisen.
>>
>>4169679
how the fuck did our ancestors tame them?
>>
>>4169731
Many believe they sort of tamed themselves; Humans would kill a thing, and the wolves would follow behind and eat the things they didn't, Humans were amused, started actually throwing scraps to the wolves, the friendlier wolves were allowed to get closer, more aggressive ones chased off or killed. Cycle continued until BAM, dog.
>>
File: 1651521839864.png (15 KB, 592x720)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>ignorance disgusts me
>>
>>4169728
If you take out the alpha male first won't the rest realize they have no chance and run away?
>>
>>4169755
The "alpha dog" thing isn't really that accurate to how wolves behave in the wild and roles in the pack are a lot more dynamic than they used to think.
But they take down large prey that can kick a lot harder than you can, and are more agile, they've got experience and hunting strategies.
>>
>>4169710
worthless post
>>
>>4169679
The more of them there is, the less it is a nightmare I think. Because they'll kill you quicker
>>
>>4169682
I have a friend who works as a park ranger and he'd rather deal with wolves then fucking pitbulls, my dude.
>>
File: Screenshot_61.jpg (36 KB, 600x600)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>4169672
In the wild, pretty harmless compared to bears, moose, etc. They are more likely to run away than kill you. But if they do decide to eat you, and it has happened, you are fucked.
Pet wolves or wolf/dog crosses are more dangerous as they are confined.

>>4169731
Dogs ancestors are not modern grey wolves.
Saying that dogs evolved from wolves is like saying humans evolved from chimps.
>>
>>4169672
>t. caveman, circa 30,000 BC
>>
>>4170131
>Saying that dogs evolved from wolves is like saying humans evolved from chimps.
the last common ancestor between chimps and humans was decidedly more chimp -like than human-like
>>
>>4170137
but they still were not modern chimpanzees. They were different.
>>
>>4170131
dogs ancestors were so similar to them that they can still interbreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdwLp6JWNM
>>
>>4170146
Sub saharan blacks and mongolians can interbreed but they are still very different creatures.
>>
>>4170142
I'd still argue wolves 10k years ago were not that different from grey wolves today
hell, if anything they were probably more dangerous, given humans hadn't started systematically exterminating them yet and they'd be less afraid of us.

The thing was, humans and wolves were fellow pack hunters, and thus synergized with eachother well.
>>
>>4170148
They actually aren't. If you were a different species (you aren't) you'd look at them like pitbulls and akitas.

>well this one is ugly and kills people
>and this one is less ugly but still kills people
>whats your point
>>
>>4170151
At this point it is pretty clear you are either extremely retarded or arguing in bad faith. No point going further than this.
>>
File: u.png (423 KB, 600x693)
423 KB
423 KB PNG
>>4170152
Dilate chudcel. Wolves are dogs. One race, the canine race.
>>
>>4170156
I hate wolves
;_;
>>
>>4169750
i look like this and own a pitbull
>>
>>4169713
A pit bull will not attack a fucking adult human. They are one of the most fearful breeds, you're more likely to get attacked by a shepherd.
Now if you were a small child, that's a different story.
>>
>>4170280
i can't tell you how many videos i've seen of pitbulls attacking adults, and firsthand accounts too. give it up, you're ignorant, you know nothing. don't reply
>>
>>4170280
this comment didn't age well
>>
>>4170148
>but they are still very different creatures.
they're way more alike that they are different, all humans are. "very different" is beyond a stretch.
>>
>>4170156
There is truth to this, watch out for people that say they hate faggots and pedophiles.
>>
>>4170148
They've done pretty extensive sequencing of the human genome and across the entire thing including all phenotypes, there is less genetic variation than in groups of Chimps only a few dozen miles apart in the Congolese rainforest. Pretty much every living human shares the same common ancestor from less than 200,000 years ago which is nowhere near long enough for speciation to occur, and no group of humans has been isolated enough to not have interbred to some degree with other creatures for any longer than 40,000 years or so.
>>
>>4170372
>they're way more alike that they are different
Doesn't change the fact that they are not the same. Chihuahuas and border collies are very similar but are still not the same and people cannot expect the same behaviors from them.
>>
>>4170471
>with other creatures
Meant other groups of humans, Freudian slip lol
>>
>>4170283
You're a child sized male so it's no wonder most pit bulls think you're a massive pussy and instinctively home in on your legs and arms.
>>
File: a puppy.jpg (70 KB, 540x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>4170508
the only thing child sized is your dick pit nutter. real men own real dogs, not just violent retarded ones. you're a hoodrat, i'm a quarterback. get the difference, bitch?
>>
File: E1YfPyNUUAQrayX.jpg_large.jpg (225 KB, 1536x2048)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>4169715
This guy thinks he can take on a fucking wolf
>>
>>4170517
A strong and fit adult male who is fighting to kill will win against a wolf. A human has too many advantages. You can choke it out, slam it, kick it, bash its head in with a stone, use a stick to hit it, choke it or ram it down its throat... grab its hindlegs and sit on its back. A wolf can do literally one thing, bite. It's not like a large cat that can maul you with its claws.

If you give up on an arm, you can gouge its eyes out and that one is literally free, since wolves will take the bait and bite the arm, they won't single out your neck 100% of the time like a leopard would.
>>
>>4170513
What an insecure reply.
>>
>>4171750
Wolves can drag around animals up to 500 kg. If you give up your arm you're about to get fucking dragged across the floor faster than you can run, retard. They can bite straight through your forearm bones with little effort.
I don't think you realize just how fucking large a wolf is, they can grow to be larger than the average male.
>>
>>4170513
This has to be bait lel
>>
>>4170471
It only takes a minuscule amount of gene differences to make a huge difference in outcome. And even a small difference in outcome can drastically change what happens over time. E.g. butterfly effect. Also reminder that tiny changes in dna can affect issues with medicine and healthcare issues.
The chimps of the past are not chimps now. The wolves of the past are not wolves now. Beagles are not German shepherds. Blacks are not whites.
>>
>>4171763
You just have to stick your finger in their nose and they'll go away.
>>
>>4171823
...with your finger in tow
>>
File: wolf sleep.jpg (715 KB, 2048x1365)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
>>4170164
giwtwm
>>
>>4169672
Swedes hate them, go figure
>>
Shit thread
>>
File: Wolf and man.webm (2.8 MB, 800x450)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB WEBM
>>
>>4169755
If they can bring down a full grown buffalo they sure as hell can bring down you skinny little faggot. I am appaled at the naivety and stupidity on this board
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlZ5ddpqFbs&ab_channel=Piu
>>
>>4171909
>10+ wolves
>can't take down the buffalo until another buffalo shows up to help them
5 dudes with pocket knives would do the job twice as fast kek
>>
>>4171913
the buffalo was doomed before it got knocked over. 2 wolves is all it takes to bring down a 90kg fit human male if he doesnt have a good weapon
>>
>>4170517
>Roughly 1/3 of women and 1/4 of men believe they could not beat a rat in a fight
I guess maybe they took the question as "would you kill a rat?" but still....
>>
>>4169725
>he doesn't know
There percentage of actual fit people on /fit/ is probably smaller than on some other boards.
>>
>>4169679
Which is why they avoid humans and never hunt you down on sight.
>>
>>4169728
But they're weak to fire
>>
>>4172000
lol
>>
>>4170513
you lost me with this post senpai
>>
File: t7u1uxv6y9f11.jpg (59 KB, 700x463)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>4169679
Nah, I can take 'em Joe. They wouldn't stand a chance
>t. Pic
>>
>>4170164
RAF RAF RAF RAF RAF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK MY EYES ARE YELLOOW
>>
>>4170374
Can confirm. /lgbt/ is literally full of ex-/pol/tards.
>>
>>4169731
If you dick any animal down enough eventually it will become docile and friendly. You just have to have a giver mentality, and the resolve to stick with it even after a few bites and scratches.
>>
>>4170517
The guys at the top of the list were definitely not taking the survey seriously.
>>
>>4171909
>I am appaled at the naivety and stupidity on this board
Must be new here.
>>
>>4172107
I don't think the researchers were taking the project seriously either.
>>
>>4171934
they probably thought that the rat would just run away, and considered that a loss for some reason
>>
>>4169737
BAM
>>
>>4172232
What are small retarded dogs, but the result of selecting the small and retarded out of better gene pools but still allowing them to breed? They should be thankful their ancestors were not culled.
>>
>>4170517
Eagle might actually be one of the tougher ones. I mean, it lives in the sky. Seems like it would be a stalemate at best.
>>
>>4171763
Here comes the retard with their superhero powerlevels transplanted into animals.
A lone wolf cannot drag 500kg of anything. I bet you're the kind of person who listen to Joe Rogan tarding out on a little chimp being stronger than a 400lb strongman and goes "Yeah, animals are crazy"

A fit 200lb + human male shits on a wolf. The problem lies in that your average human will not even consider fighting but running. Imagine how hard it would be to kill a wolf that has no intention of fighting back. That is why you cannot imagine a human winning.
>>
>>4171821
Fuck off there is a containment board for you guys
>>
>>4172395
Which part of the post is a problem to you? Do you think science and medicine is offensive, such as how sickle cell anemia is more prevalent in some ethnic groups? Why don't you fuck off back to your safe space on reddit if you are so traumatized by perceived offenses that aren't even there.
>>
>>4170517
How to FUCK do these people think its easier to TAKE DOWN an ELEPHANT UNARMED rather than a grizly bear or a lion????? How in the everloving fuck do you fistfight or wrestle a FUCKING ELEPHANT??? Like yean i get it, bears and lions have claws and are hunters but still, a fucking elephant BARE. HANDED.
>>
>>4172536
Because fuck you thats why.
>>
>>4171915
1 wolf is enough to bring down a 90 kg male. You don't stand a chance considering wolves can grow up to 80-90 kg. With a proper sturdy knife you would fucking murder a wolf pretty easily. You might even be able to beat several at once based on how much faster than you they'd bleed out. Getting 6+ inches of steel driven anywhere into your body is fatal.
>>
>>4172371
>she has never seen a wolf
They are bigger than you are. You can google how much weight they can drag around and they are way stronger than any human and are capable of easily dragging around prey much bigger than humans. A full grown wolf is capable of taking down a bison on it's own and then dragging it's corpse around.
You are so out of tune with nature it's funny.
>>
>>4170513
Based post
>>
File: 1648095810208.jpg (58 KB, 750x731)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>4170280
>A pit bull will not attack a fucking adult human.
>>
>>4171821
So, what you're saying is, race is a spectrum?
>>
>>4172682
You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>4172715
>So, what you're saying is, race is a spectrum?

not him but brute base pair difference percentages between "groups" are nice to have but not necessarily telling you anything. this only matter in regards to molecular clock calculations of DNA that is not "functional" and isn't being selected for/against. not all genes are equal, obviously. a few base pairs difference here can have more impact than 10s of ks of bps somewhere else in regards to real world outcomes on function of the organism. that's why universal formulas with which you'd define borders between groups are bunk.
>>
File: NOM.jpg (372 KB, 1067x1600)
372 KB
372 KB JPG
>>
>>4170035
1-2 wolves you can kill with a pocket knife. Maybe more if you're a fucking badass and get them on the neck every time. Animal fangs/claws don't even come close to the lethality of a simple pocket knife.
>>
File: 1648681382809.jpg (150 KB, 1772x590)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>4170142
>>4170146
Has anyone ever tried breeding humans with chimps or some other great ape?
>>
>>4177381
Soviets tried and failed iirc
>>
>>4177381
Ilya Ivanovich Ivanov attempted to inseminate some female chimps with human sperm
>>
>>4169672
There are no wolves where I live but there used to be, and if they were still here I'd guess they'd be pretty tame. Even the bears around here are scaredy cats. Very forested rural area, I imagine they'd have plenty of food and not be desperate or hungry, and plenty of space to hide their young and not get in encounters with people approaching their dens.
>>
>>4169688
>A pitbull will always attack without clear warning
>source: my ass
>>
>>4176223
Makes sense. A cassowaries claws are about the same as a knife, and they are exceptionally dangerous animals.
>>
>>4177476
But they're nowhere near as sharp. Even a gigantic polar bear will get fucked if you drive a knife into it's neck and there isn't much a polar bear can do to stop you from doing that. Well you'll still probably die but so will the bear.
>>
>>4177482
A Cassowary is fully capable of eviscerating a man even one wearing a vest. They're plenty sharp.
>>
>>4177491
Still not even close to being as sharp as a gas station pocket knife.
>>
>>4177494
Doesn't need to be. The force and speed behind the Cassowary's claw make them every bit as deadly.
>>
>>4177497
Man armed with knife vs cassowary huh? I'd rather be the man in this situation.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.