[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Previous >>4153137

Pygmy Sunfish edition

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Saltwater shit:
>brs 5 minute guides
>https://youtu.be/AlUv9SRB_g8
>https://reefbuilders.com/reef-tank-setup/
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
>>4163822
took you awhile, was worrying something happened to you bro.
>>
File: IMG_20220508_111834786~2.jpg (257 KB, 1433x1299)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
>>4163845
There's at least one other shit poster who does it, too. I just use it to tag the thread since I'm a phonepleb.

Anyways, to be on topic, here's my new stiphodon goby, Goby Keith. He doesn't want to be fed, he just wants to hunt (biofilm).
>>
>>4163857
Nice stiffie
>>
File: 20220508_120331.jpg (1.64 MB, 4032x1816)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
My one female opulent gourami is so much less colorful and pale compared to the other female

Will she colour up with time and care, or is it likely it's just her pattern is lighter?
>>
>>4163871
Here's the other
>>
>>4163859
Thanks I was worried he'd hide and die without me ever seeing him, but so far he's been pretty brave. I think it's a male because the dorsal fins are pretty large but I'm not a goby biologist.
>>
File: 20220430_191547.jpg (2.92 MB, 4032x3024)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
I have added a couple (male and female) of pearl gouramis to my tank but so far they've been tremendously shy, running away at my mere sight, which hasn't left me much to study about. How can i get them to be less panicky?
Also is pic rel a good setup for them? I also have 2 garras and 7 redeye tetras (and was thinking of getting a bamboo shrimp because shrimps are the goat)
>>
>>4163895
Honestly I have always found anabantids other than bettas to be very shy and placid fish.
>>
>>4163901
Really left me surprised too considering how chill they seem to be in stores too
>>
>>4163905
store tanks are usually very overstocked with minimal decor and their behavior in there can't really be translated to a proper home aquarium.
>>
>starting from the bottom again after financial issues 2 years ago
>reusing old equipment for an empty 5g to populate shrimp colony for 20g
surely nothing can go wrong from this
>>
File: 20220502_210157 (1).webm (446 KB, 640x480)
446 KB
446 KB WEBM
>>4163895
I love my gouramis, they're active, they take time to develop confidence

The males will harras the females, I only keep females with 1 male dwarf gourami
>>
>>4163857
based tadpole snails
>>
my betta is building a bubble nest and looking at me expectantly between blowing a new bubble i think he might be gay, is there any way to cure him?
>>
>>4163951
Put 3 fem bettas in there
>>
>>4163947
I have way too many. Bought some spixi to kill them, and eggs have stopped since I cut back on feeding (though shrimp are reproducing less too...), but I'm about to start baiting them with veggies. Can't get an assassin because I have too many snails that aren't actively reproducing that I'd rather not replace.
>>
File: IMG_20220508_141347.gif (811 KB, 320x218)
811 KB
811 KB GIF
>>4163951
>>
>>4163927
Yeah i know, think i made a bit of a mistake not knowing it beforehand.
However i think the space might be running low, and i don't know how much can my filter take anymore. I'll take just another one at best
>>
File: 20220503_205418.webm (405 KB, 640x480)
405 KB
405 KB WEBM
>>4164000
I feed mine frozen blood worms

It gets them active and feeding together too
>>
>>4163952
its a 5 gallon that would be a bloodbath anon
>>
Bros it's day 12 and it seems my planted tank is nearly cycled.
>ammonia 0ppm
>nitrites 0ppm
Is this too good or is my tank playing tricks on me? How to test? Using axolotl poop btw, I was thinking adding/removing poo and checking parameters for 3 days if everythings okay.
>>
>>4164198
>planted
your plants are sucking the ammonia and nitrite down more than the bacteria are processing it to nitrate. Your tank isn't fully cycled in terms of having bacteria do the nitrogen cycle thing but honestly I've found that so long as you watch it it's fine to start stocking lightly with plants doing most of the biofiltration. The bacteria will gradually grow in.

That is unless your plants start melting hard, at that point you can have ammonia problems. I usually don't worry about parameters and just add plants/pest snails/cherry shrimp then a month after I add the plants I test and if I don't see ammonia/nitrite I assume the cycle's good enough and start stocking.
>>
File: 23082.jpg (100 KB, 1920x1080)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>4164267
Thanks for the advice. I definitely figured it could be the plants doing that, since it's effectively the same result (safe water) I'll just try testing a few days and if its good I'll put my axolotl in there. One of my bamboos and spider plant weren't doing well but the rest are starting to grow roots and leaves. I think there were too many plants competing for nitrogen kek
>>
>>4164280
how big is the tank? problem with that approach to a single specimen stock is you can't ratchet up the bioload gradually, although i guess you kind of can by doing very limited feedings for the first week or two. But not the same as adding 6 white clouds week 1 then another 6 week 2.

Probably nothing to worry about but I'd keep testing ammonia meticulously until you're sure you have a stable system. and i say this as someone who basically never tests ammonia. Axolotls are big boys and also pretty sensitive to these things.
>>
>>4164287
It's a 15g tub. The axolotl is a juvenile so less waste than an adult I suppose. I've been putting its waste into the tub to cycle in hope it's adjusted for its bioload. Actually I got the plants and a filter rated for 70g to compensate because I heard that axolotls produce a ton of ammonia. I put an extra sponge in the media to culture more bacterias as well. If the plants aren't getting enough nutrients maybe I can get away with a second axolotl...
>>
>>4164299
In a 15g that's aggressive. Also they're not friendly in pairs, are they? Juves and adults will kill each other if there's nowhere for the smaller to escape
>>
>>4164315
They're the same size. Apparently when they grow a certain size they aren't as aggro anymore but I'm not sure bc they're all seperated. I heard adding hides and plants to hang on helps. It's only temporary because I'll need to sell them in a few months. I wish I could keep them all.
>>
I think I'm done with fish. My neighbor gave me a fish tank because they didn't want to move it when they were moving out, and I thought it would be a nice way to bring some companionship into my life. But after having two full tanks of fish die to ich, I think they've brought more stress on me than the small amount of happiness I got from watching them swim. Does anyone know if Pet's Mart will take a used tank, or should I just go straight to Craigslist?
>>
>>4164333
craigslist is best to just get rid of them. don't fucking give petsmart free shit.
Ich isn't the worst thing in fish and can be prevented by good biosec and ich-x but I get you, some people just cant handle that. I have fish (mostly fry though, they simply never all make it) or shrimp dying in my tanks basically every day, in the same vein i also have stuff being born.
>>
File: sdf2sd.png (422 KB, 555x329)
422 KB
422 KB PNG
>>4163767
how do you make money in this hobby??

I have the space, a large backyard and even basement with empty shelves. I have 3 10 gallon tanks about to cycle.

What do I do?

Do I just start planting dwarf sags and sell them by the bunch every 2 months??

I doubt I can make anything selling guppies, bettas seem too high maintenance and I just want to make things simple. If I can make an extra $100 every month, what do I need or what do I need to start growing? Serious answers only
>>
>>4164418
Shrimp and moss are always in demand.
Opae ula would be easy and fun, but might be a difficult sell because they live in brackish water.
>>
File: IMG_20220508_222339.jpg (1.08 MB, 2375x3167)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>
>>4164431
Do I need some crazy 50-100 gallon to achieve convincing profit? Lights, ferts, wattage from filters. I feel like the food and plants will be super expensive. I can grow vinegar eels or something though but it feels like I need atleast some crazy 80 gallon tank, why?
>>
>>4164418
breed stuff that's always popular. caridina shrimp, neocaridina if your local area doesn't have much available, panda and other easy corydoras, bristlenose and hypancistrus plecos, apistos, rabbit snails, show-type guppies and endlers, etc. if you want to make money using your backyard, grow live food like daphnia and gammarus shrimp.
>>
>>4164418
if its legal, catch fish in the creek and sell them
im not kidding
>>
>>4164418
There are multiple paths. Shipping fish online is usually not a good way to make a profit and more hassle than it's worth. Figure out what's popular around you and breed it, oddballs have higher profit margins typically but it also tends to be the case that they don't sell as well. Most stores will always be willing to pay for local angels or livebearers for example because they turn over pretty quickly.

>>4164523
I call this the floridaman strategy, so many random reptiles some floridaman caught out of his back yard available on morphmarket. Also in Florida you can find wild invasives of decent quality and sell them, tons of oscars, plecos, etc.
>>
File: s-l640.jpg (24 KB, 480x640)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>4164372
I used this, but it didn't seem to do anything. I gave them two treatments of this before changing 25% of the water and adding some salt, because that's what the Pet's Mart people told me to do. But I guess I was too late because all my fish are dead. If I do end up attempting a third try at this whole fish thing, what is the best way to avoid ich? Should I throw out all the decorations/heaters/filter I had in the tank and get new ones, or can I just clean the ones I already have?
>>
>>4164418
I managed to breed Least Killifish in a 1 gallon bowl with only a pothos
I’ve lost most of the babies to a sparkling gourami but at least 3 managed to grow to adult size; those things are baby making machines
>>
>>4164685
All fish have the ich/ick pathogens available in their body already, what causes them to break out is lowered immune system due to other illnesses, stress, and (most often) shitty conditions. Pretty much all common fish illnesses are symptoms and not the actual source of an issue.

Your water wasn't clean enough or the fish were both shy and way overcrowded, is the gist of it, though I'd bet on the former. If you do try again, make sure you get the tank/filters cycled, then meticulously check nitrate levels once you add in fish and change out 20% or so of the water whenever they're higher than 20ppm. Adding enough plants you can get the level to balance out at a lower number or even zero, in which case you'd need to do that same water change every few weeks just to cut down on various other shit in the water and to replenish minerals. ALWAYS use a dechlorinator for new water, never clean your filters out (if they clog rinse them very gently in old tank water, not new tap water which has chlorine), never use hot water from the tap because it's more likely to have copper or other heavy metals from the heater or pipes. Also, idk what fish you're putting in there or the tank size, but if you start with something easy like white skirt tetras or white cloud mountain minnows or guppies the water will need to be really bad before you'd see them get sick.
>>
>>4164418
As others said, plants, shrimp, livebearers are all good choices if you have the space. Ricefish are actually what I'd recommend if you're somewhere warm enough to keep them outside, they breed like rabbits and sell for $4-5/pop on ebay or similar, it's kinda retarded.

Snails that aren't on the market, from your local area, can also make good money. I'd avoid mysteries or nerites because no LFS wants to buy those, but there aren't many sellers of mini rabbit snails or white wizard snails in the US, definitely could make a bit there with a big enough tank. Or get them local - there's some guy in Tennessee that scoops pleurocera snails out of Appalachian creeks and sells them for like $2/ea on aquabid.
>>
>>4164755
Thanks for the info. What I find very strange though is that all my fish were doing fine for about a year until my big pleco died (it got stuck between the heater and wall when I was out of town for the weekend, and was dead when I got back). It was only after it died that I've had issues with ich/ick. After my first tank of fish died, I setup my new tank the exact same way as the past tank that lasted about a year. I had the water checked at Pet's Mart before adding any fish as well and they said everything looked good. But these new fish only lasted about two/three weeks
>>
>>4164765
Sounds like the fish dying caused an ammonia spike which weakened the fish the first time. Did you drain the tank after the first time, or leave the filter out of water for more than a half hour or so? If so, or if you just left the tank empty without ammonia sources for a while, it might have killed enough bacteria that the cycle crashed, so when you put new fish in there it was a brand new cycle, they were weakened by heightened ammonia (or nitrite if it was 2-3 weeks into a new cycle, nitrite spikes to about 4x the levels of ammonia when the bacteria are establishing and it's more poisonous to fish than ammonia), and died to ich/whatever else while weak (I'd bet they had other things too, ich is just easy to identify).

If you do it again, get yourself a real test kit (one with chemical droppers and test tubes). Bringing water to petsmart won't give you good readings even if they test it correctly. Add ammonia daily (fish food w/o fish will rot and turn into it, just feed what you would for a fully stocked tank), and test every few days until you see ammonia drop and nitrite spike, then a week or two later you should see nitrite quickly drop and nitrates show up. Alternatively, put in a bunch of plants (aim for 15-20% of water volume filled with plants) and a small number of fish at the start, change the water every couple days and wait a week+ between adding any new fish, again doing small amounts at a time, then move to weekly water changes after two months. You won't have the data to know when things are stable, but it'll be easier. Do a water change every time the water is very cloudy, you see a big algae bloom, or fish act weird, and you shouldn't lose many/any as long as you've got pretty hardy fish: most tetras, platys, any type of minnow, rice fish, most corys, bristlenose pleco, or the nearly indestructible common/comet goldfish.
>>
>>4164805
I did drain the tank after the first time, and I rinsed off all the decorations. I got all new gravel too. Then I let the decorations sit outside of the tank for about a week before filling the tank back up and adding them back. Then I waited about another week before adding new fish. I really appreciate all the info. I definitely should have done more research before getting into this hobby
>>
>>4164822
Eh, it's hard to do research with all the shitty information being parroted, and big box stores offering you precisely nothing useful. The key thing is to understand the nitrogen cycle and how flora and fauna interact with it, beyond that it's a bit of a crapshoot.

Everyone in this hobby for any appreciable amount of time has killed fish via mistakes. Thankfully most fish are basically floating colors and have very little personality or signs of intelligence, so it's fairly easy to detach yourself, but if you keep fish you're going to kill some of them through trial and error, and mistakes you didn't even know to look for. And sometimes you just get shitty fish that die no matter what you do.
>>
>>4164523
I catch thousands of nerite snails out of the estuary near me and sell them to LFS's.
Same with baby lionfish.
Yes I am florida man
>>
>>4164986
Based
>>
lets say I have the money and the means for some black tip reef sharks and a nurse shark
where would I be able to purchase one from?
>>
File: IMG_20220509_153902.png (148 KB, 610x613)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>4165009
>>
>>4165038
Everyone here breaks federal law glowie, your gaslighting cant stop us. We know your faggot agency doesn't get even ten percent of the funding it would need to stop us all. Even Corey talks about going to fish rooms full of illegal endangered pupfish.

Fishkeeping is an anti-fedpilled hobby.
>>
File: IMG_7011.jpg (1.59 MB, 4032x3024)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
hope you all got your clark shark stamps
>>
>>4165225
I don't support the federal government, I steal stamps from the grocery store to send my mail.
>>
>>4165227
the USPS is the only respectable part of the government you cretin
>>
File: Trächtigkeit.jpg (3.13 MB, 4608x2592)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
My PWL stocks are rising and I will need to sell some soon. Is there a viable site for Germany / Europe? I used to put them on Ebay but they now want high fees and delete my offers. Ebay Kleinanzeigen does it too, especially if you mention shipping (everyone does it and its legal).
>>
File: Haufenweise Garnelen.jpg (3.26 MB, 4148x2333)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
Also my Corydoras dwindle. I have them for about two years and they don't reproduce. Its a 55 L scapers tank with soil powder and osmosis running on a JBL e401. Water quality and parameters should be perfect. I change once a week.

A 70 L is planned this year once I can gain some funds by selling my overstocks, should I use soil and sand? People say the Corydoras need sand, but they don't have problems digging in the fine soil. Even the shrimps can dig into it with ease and they do it a lot. My goal would be breeding and sustaining the Corydoras population.
>>
>>4165228
I don't like the USPS. My mailman is one of my many gangstalkers.
>>
>>4165236
corydoras need neither sand nor gravel, the issue people have with cories getting rotten barbels is usually related to being kept in a very mulm heavy substrate which ends up getting them infected.

Wild cories are found in water with every substrate from large rocks to fine sand.
>>
>>4165308
Does my tank look too dirty? The filter is very potent, there is constant water flow. pH and parameters are maintained for Taiwan bees, which should match the Corydoras needs.
>>
>>4165228
Isn't it run by some Trump-loving schmuck that removed drop-off points, downsized the operations and tried to make mail-in ballots weeks late for electrion?
Not American so I might be confusing USPS for some other mail agency.
>>
I think I killed my xenia
Nitrite 0-0.5 Nitrates 0-0.5
Ammonia 0.25
>>
>>4165329
>muh trump
Calm down Schlomo, he’s not president anymore.
>>
>>4165331
Nice of you to think I care, but that wasn't my question.
>>
>>4165329
Yes and yes, Louis DeJoy is still postmaster general at USPS.
>>
>>4164986
>Same with baby lionfish.
Please do this x100,000. They are invasive. It is actually encouraged by FWC to remove them.
>>
>>4165330
It's for the best, long term. Xenia is not a great coral.
>>
>>4164986
mail me some :)
>>
>>4165333
You obviously do since you brought it up on an animal board in an aquarium thread.
>>
>>4165337
Same with koi/carp in NZ.
Local councils don't give two fucks if you brain one with a kayak paddle, shovel or a big stick - so long as you don't make a mess and politely ask the property owner if private property/a park/reserve.
>>
>>4165342
>Patiotic anon says USPS last bastion of government respectability in /aq/
He was wrong, I don't care who president of the us is.
>>
File: taapua3.jpg (28 KB, 449x236)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
what does /aq/ think of newts?
>>
>>4165379
I think they're nuwte!
>>
>>4165337
Oh i like invasive species. Dont tell the feds but tryna get some different wild bettas established down here to make me more money :)
>>4165341
Due to my previous comment I will not post any of my contacts. But you post your email or discord and I will have another batch acclimated to freshwater in about a month or two. I will ship you 50 freshwater nerites for 60 bucks. Also got a ton of least kilis and other native shiners and kilis. No shipping lionfish (or the bluenose shiners) because FWC would rape me.
>>
File: IMG_20220420_135546.jpg (303 KB, 1850x832)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>4165379
Breddy cute.
>>
>>4164685
Both cheaper and available at walmart. I've used both for ich twice and they worked pretty well. Also it's good to have a general cure around I used lifeguard to treat my betta's finrot and it helped with that too. Warning about the jungle clear though is that shit will stain the silicone holding your tank together, not sure if there's anything I can do about that now though.
>>
>>4165326
The substrate looks fine. Generally it's recommended to give a "rain" type event to induce corys to spawn, which means a water change with water that is colder and softer. That sort of thing is generally bad for sensitive shrimp, so you might have to risk losing some shrimp, or not having corys breed. Unless you've got a really rare, expensive type of Cory in there, I'd say not to fuck with what's working for the shrimp and just replenish the stock every once in a while to stay above 6 individuals.

If you really want them to breed though, do a "rain" and then collect the eggs a couple hours later and put them in a breeder box, or the parents may eat them.
>>
>>4165379
Is there a good reason why there aren't that many newts/salamanders from warm climates?
>>
File: pic.jpg (690 KB, 1632x1224)
690 KB
690 KB JPG
what's this spiky algae?
>>
File: shutterstock_1227824653.jpg (937 KB, 1000x662)
937 KB
937 KB JPG
i'm a newfag at this, am I retarded to want a saltwater aquarium because the crab variety is so much cooler?
I really want to have a crab aquarium but freshwater crabs mostly suck ass appearance wise.
Saltwater aquariums seem like a pain in the ass maintenance wise and i'm still a beginner
>>
File: oh no.jpg (1000 KB, 3024x4032)
1000 KB
1000 KB JPG
uh oh!
Noticed that my tank is just ever so not all the way where i want it
possible to pull 800lb tank flush without trouble, or is this a drain situation ?
>>
>>4165746
If you end up not going with the saltwater aquarium, look into terrestrial strawberry hermit crabs
>>
Anyone have luck actually keeping chromis in shoals for an extended period of time without the smaller/weaker ones getting picked off?
>>
>>4165756
Those faux wood rimmed tanks are usually pretty old I'd probably drain just to be safe. Not sure if that's a crack or scratch in your pic but if it expands at all drain that fucker asap.
>>
>>4165688
Thats how it is, fresh water is always cold, especially in winter. Shrimps don't get harmed. They survive 14° drops with no issue. I don't use heaters in my tanks either.
>>
>>4165744
This guy? Looks like green hair to me.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (687 KB, 1632x1224)
687 KB
687 KB JPG
>>4166211
Fuckin piss in my ass.
>>
Anyone have any angelfish? Post pics pls
>>
Gonna buy ember tetra and galaxy rasbora.

I'm thinking about using my """""""""gf's""""""""" to test how neocaridina will hand micro fishs.

Anyon have experience with shrimp and fish?
>>
>>4166314
I heard edlers are the only 100% shrimp safe fish.
>>
My tub went to shit. Water is poo brown and floating plants died

Goldfish are still alive though

What should I do? Btw photo is after 50% water change
Part of the merkyness is pond soil kickef up. Still my floating plants died too
>>
>>4166314
I've had them with dwarf rasborra and guppies. If the colony is well established and there's plenty of foliage that they can hide in, they will reproduce more than that the fish will kill.
>>
>>4166361
Yeah my two coloniesa re 2 years old with tons of vegetation .
>>
This one pearl gourami has been at this spot by the filter for a couple days

She doesn't feed with the others.

What could be wrong?

2 female pearl and 2 female opulent gouramis
One male dwarf gourami, but he generally avoid the bigger gouramis

30gallons
>>
>>4166357
floating plant die because to many bubbles.
You need to cap off the soil wiht something so it doenst get all nasty like yours did. The sedimint killed you underwater plants.
You will need a bigger pond for your retarded goldfish.
In essence. You are the most retarded retard in the sped classroom
>>
File: 20220504_220249.jpg (1.69 MB, 4032x1816)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>4166382
Soil is capped with large ish river stone

My objective was to harvest a Lilly pad from local wetlands and keep goldfish in there
This was about 2 weeks ago
>>
>>4166379
The rest chill together
>>
>>4166385
>caps fine soil with large stonse
Wow such brain
Also dude how many fucking bubbles you got going on in there. Its like a tsunami, If you want lily pads TURN THE FLOW DOWN. Your already fucked with the soild so gonna just have to let that settle out once you turn the flow down.
>>
File: 1362968945428.gif (1024 KB, 300x233)
1024 KB
1024 KB GIF
Ya'll ever just decide your day was going too good, like it needs a little spice?
>Tugging air line because it's stuck on something, trying to get the bubbler a little closer to the filter outlet
>What the fuck is it stuck on
>Yank harder, because FUCK inanimate objects
>A gallon of salty-ass water with half-hatched brine shrimp just goes fucking everywhere, hits the ground and goes even more fucking everywhere as it splashes up
Buy my mixtape.
>>
File: file.png (592 KB, 600x420)
592 KB
592 KB PNG
Are there any thin vine like plants in the trade? Want something small to wrap around my driftwood, but I don't want the density of carpeting plants or moss.
>>
>>4166437
so what now? are you gonna slurp up the little brinies?
>>
>>4166444
Buce and anubias come to mind. No true vines in fish tanks tho.
>>
>>4166449
That's a shame, thanks for the suggestions.
>>
File: 1254140355287.gif (856 KB, 320x240)
856 KB
856 KB GIF
>>4166445
NO BECAUSE IT SOAKED INTO THE CARPET AND I'M ON MY LAST TOWEL SO IT DOESN'T FUCKING STINK IN A WEEK.
>>
>>4166437
he does brine shrimp over carpet
carpet is fucking retarded in the first place, i only have a small amount left in my house and want to get it all ripped out as soon as i can afford it.
>>
>>4166460
Understandable. I wouldn't have minded leveling the concrete floor, diamond-cutting it flat and sealing with epoxy but alas.
Good point though, idk why the fuck I don't do the hatching in the garage.
>>
Any DIY fert guides out there?
I have access to at-cost AR/LR chemicals at bulk prices and I've always hated using products that a vast majority of the content is just water and the only economical way to buy it is in half-gallon lots since you'll be using it all the time anyway.

If it costs me $500 in materials to make 100L of the shit, I wouldn't mind breaking even after the first 5L.
>>
>>4166465
yeah i do mine in the utility room next to a sink, only reason you wouldnt in a garage is the heat.

>>4166494
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/allinone.htm
YMMV, I got tired of it and just went back to easy green.
>>
I am having a hard time finding an aquarium to buy. It's weird. The difficulty in this process probably keeps people from the hobby.

Has anyone purchased Landen aquariums on Amazon? Literally one of the very few retailers that have 40+ gallon aquariums in stock.

Ideally I'd love a 50 gallon, with a 36" by 18" base. Like a 40 gallon breeder but a little taller. But these are incredibly hard to find retailers for, yet I found two wholesalers selling them. The fuck?

Please, which/where should I get an aquarium in these sizes?
>>
>>4166535
If you want anything nicer than aqueon shit at petco yes tanks suck to find. ordering tanks online fucking sucks too because there's a high chance it shows up broken.
>>
>>4166533
Cheers. I don't mind the work, half of my job is decanting and/or diluting reagents on a light commercial scale.
Easy Green would probably cost a bit in getting sent to NZ.
>>
>>4166535
go to a local fish store and ask. they should be happy to help because getting a tank is usually the cheapest part of the hobby
>>
File: 12345.jpg (3.34 MB, 2420x3226)
3.34 MB
3.34 MB JPG
ah, the weekly duckweed skim
>>
>>4166535
beacuse aquariums are made of fucking glass and break in transit, so they don't ship to individuals. It's high risk, low reward. Stop being a lazy dumbass and go to Peto, Petsmart, Pet Supplies Plus etc unless you live in the middle of fucking nowhere. If so just fly to the nearest city and ship one back home (it will arrive broken KEK). Otherwise you're being a hipster trying to buy some obscure shit no one cares to stock because most people aren't trying to source nonsense.
>>
>>4166379
Gouramis are anti-social as hell.

>>4166389
This is a cool pic of an abnormality, but the sexes may just be wrong and you have 1 male and 2 females here trying to get his sperm

The one in the filter is scared, is a beta and will live his life behind the filter, forever
>>
pretty much this
if you're in the middle of nowhere save money for a roadtrip to a fish store or take the tubpill
>>
Will pygmy cories eat shrimplets?
>>
help >>4166000
>>
>>4166535
As others said, rimmed aquariums tend to be cheaper in person. Rimless are often only bought online, but they're way more expensive, and I wouldn't recommend over a 15 gal or so shipped, unless it's acrylic, because package chuckers will likely break it.

That said, I personally have ordered some smaller rimless glass tanks online without issue. Just expect to drop 3 digits for any size over a 5g.
>>
>>4166786
Yes, though only for the first week or two and only if you don't provide hardscape and plants for them to hide in. Give them some mosses, coontail, and/or macropore volcanic rocks and they'll learn to use those to grow out. All provide good locations for biofilm, to boot.
>>
>>4166799
looks like cyanobacteria. either do a 7 day full tank black out without feeding your livestock or use erythromycin or chemiclean. do a large water change after the treatment. you'll need to figure out why it's appearing though, otherwise it's just gonna return.
>>
I think I fucked up my tank a bit by trying to increase KH... I'm at 2 KH and roughly 12 gH out of the tap, and shrimp seemed content with it, but have been trying to raise KH with some mix of shrimp salt (kh/gh+), cuttlebone, tourmaline balls, and Waco wonder shells. So far, all I've managed to do with a month or so of water changes and trying each of those individually is raise gH to the low 20s which slowed down shrimp breeding, and KH remains stubbornly at 2.

I guess I'll just give up and not worry about the pH swinging from 6.7 at night to 7.5 during the day, the shrimp were breeding and not dying before I started to "fix" the water and now none of my neos have eggs. But I'm frustrated that my attempts at engineering this have entirely failed. I think I'm going to toss out the rest of the wonder shells and cuttlebone and just use my basic tap, until I start seeing white rings.
>>
What’s your dream 3 gallon tank?
Dad got one and outside of betta fish or DAF I can’t think of anything else to stock it with
>>
>>4167310
fill it with shitton of shrimp, do genetic selection experiments on them
>>
>>4167317
Ok now what would you do with a 500? (Not a typo)
I’m thinking red tail giant gourami, 3 of them
>>
I put in a piece of wood in my tank yesterday and now my water is cloudy and white, not brown. I also found one of my new scarlet badis dead and I'm afraid my shrimp will now die. Will things be ok? I'm guessing this is a bacteria bloom that somehow the wood started.
>>
>>4167338
I’d do water changes
A bio block I put in the tank did the same thing and I had to do 100% changes several times till it cleared up
The tiny fish/inverts might not survive that level of change tho but still do what you can
>>
>>4167342
Should I take the wood out? I probably should. I scooped out one other scarlet badis, but there's no saving the others. I cant even find most of the shrimp. Theyve all gone into hiding or something. I only see a few that aren't dead but they're just sitting motionless.
>>
>>4167357
That’s a good idea
Best of luck and you’ll recover from this fren
>>
>>4167329
A shit ton of oscars (the cichlid ofc)
>>
>>4166900
kh is irrelevant in freshwater fyi as are pH swings that don't take you below 6.5 or above 8. parameters are mostly irrelevant as long as you have some basic level of minerals and arent too acidic/alkaline.
>>
>>4167329
Community nano fish. Thousands of them.

And a mixed collection of Corys, like three or four shoals of 20+ each.
>>
>>4167381
Even for shrimp and inverts? Sounds I've been doing all this stupid shit for nothing... Guess I'll do some water changes to get back to starting hardness and just supplement calcium if I actively see problems.
>>
What's a good option for hair algae and diatoms? I have bladder snails that came in with plants but the cichlids eat any that are small enough to fit in their mouths so not sure. Maybe a siamese algae eater?
>>
>>4167392
From my experience yes. I haven't kept every single shrimp but I've kept bee shrimp in both 0kh buffering substrate and high kh aragonite tanks and they've survived. Maybe if you're doing some next level autism min/max on the most slammed shrimp possible but i kinda doubt it's that relevant.

i did the same thing at the start before realizing that muh perfect parameters are basically a meme in freshwater.
>>
>>4167395
>diatoms
scrape the glass, diatoms are usually a phase
>hair algae
florida flagfish, they eat everything except diatoms and eat it for their entire lives, and also fit in smaller tanks than a SAA. SAA will also work but as they get older they get less interested in algae. FFF can be dicks to other fish though. I like to have like a 10 with a small colony of them, if I have hair algae issues they get to take a vacation to that tank until it's cleaned.
>>
>>4167397
Thanks, I'm going to just go back to what I know was fine before and stop worrying.
>>
>>4167385
But then thousands of dead fish if something goes wrong
>>
>>4167404
>scrape the glass, diatoms are usually a phase
The tanks been up for close to 10 months so I'm not sure if it's still just because of new tank or my tap water has issues. I added new plants 2 weeks back and they have been free of algae but my older plants just keep getting covered.
I'll look into the flagfish thanks.
>>
>>4167418
if it's been that long it could be a tapwater thing but it could also be light, how are you lighting? how is the plant balance? There are a lot of variables. From my experience including multiple heavy water feeding plants, particularly floaters really help suppress algae in general. Flow can also help if your style of tank just isnt amenable to floaters.
>>
>>4167423
also i forgot fertilizing, algae isn't a stickler for trace elements, or thrives off of one or two of them. Filamentous algaes for example love iron.

Another option is easy carbon, seachem excel or any of the other 'liquid carbon' products. They're really an algaecide more than a fertilizer and don't replace co2 injection but I have a bottle of excel on hand for spot treating when necessary.
>>
>>4167423
I basically kept turning the lights down until green spot algae stopped growing. As far as plants I have mostly anubias in the tank, I added pothos out of the top a few months back and now my nitrates have been in much better shape.
I had been doing a half dose of easy green while my nitrates were bad but bumping it back up to recommended dose now.

It's definitely a lot of different problems and solutions and I'm just trying to do one small change at a time so nothing goes crazy.
>>
>>4167413
If you fuck something up in a stable 500g aquarium, you deserve to lose them.
>>
File: 27976_0.jpg (263 KB, 800x800)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
I'm the anon from >>4165746
I bought a 10g 45cm long tank and seriously considering just making a nano reef tank.
As far as I understand, can't I just hook up a like 10g sump and fill it with a refugium that hosts things like chaeto algae and sheet? I don't want to do water changes and don't wanna pay the aquajew for an awc system
>>
>>4167447
Thousands of fish create thousands of possible disease carriers
The amount of quarantine and time would be insane
>>
>>4167464
Fuck it, either you successfully breed resistance to diseases into them or they all die. All or nothing.
>>
>>4167464
Well you could just start with a dozen each of ten different species that can then breed. Hell, you could start with three guppies and get to thousands of nano fish within a year.

Or you could just choose tank bred and/or trustworthy sources and take your chances. What're the odds you get something that all of them are at risk for?
>>
/aq/bros what do you use to spot clean your tanks? Looking for something long so I don't have to get my hands wet and bring chemicals into the tank.
>>
>>4167490
I have this little plastic scotch-brite-on-a-stick thing. The stick is reasonable sturdy and the material is zip-tied to the end, doesn't come off and you can be reasonably aggressive with it.
>>
>>4167502
Is that for cleaning the algae stuff off the surfaces? Damn I'm looking for something to clean up the waste for my axolotls.
>>
>>4167516
Scrub on a stick AND a vac?
>>
>>4167516
You would want a large turkey baster or maybe a small gravel siphon with a hand pump attached.
>>
>>4167519
>>4167520
Thanks guys I'll look into it. Maybe I can mod a turkey baster with an extension tube or something
>>
>minnow has such bad swimbladder issues he's constantly fighting to not float ass first to the top today
>decide its time to put him out of his misery
>darts away the second i open the lid
welp if you wanna live like that bitch nigga far be it for me to put you down
>>
>>4167560
nvm caught him, put him to sleep with the clove oil and now he's in the freezer. rip lil' buddy.
>>
A couple days ago I cleaned my canister filter and it seems like I may have hurt the bacteria? I just washed the media off in the tank water while I was doing a water change not using any chemicals or chlorinated water. It's weird I have no measurable ammonia but when the lights go down on the tank the water starts going cloudy, only to clear back up by the time the lights go back on.

I guess next time I should just do a quick splash to knock off some of the crap.
>>
File: 1343442803144.png (16 KB, 500x500)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>4167580
Godspeed little dude.
>>
>>4167594
its kinda sad, i had 14 white clouds as my first fish, now i have 9 left a year later. Had a nasty fish TB outbreak and he was one of the victims unfortunately. I did most of my fuckups in my first tank though and my other tanks haven't had as many issues or casualties.
>>
>>4163822
How big is this tank? 800L? 1000L?
>>
>>4167598
Seems to be the way, especially with the kind of fish that LFS's purchase by the hundreds. I bought 3 lots of glowlight tetra from 3 different stores as everyone seemed to only have a dozen at the time.
>1 died on the way home and 2 more died within 2 weeks from one store
>1 died over 2 weeks
>final batch were a-ok and have been for 15 months.
Whether it was a bad batch, bad breeder, bad store or simply a roll of the dice - I don't know. You're probably right on the point of first tank, the longer it's been running the less inclined you are to fuck with it in any way.
>>
>>4167652
I'd put my money on 1500. Looks like an armspan wide and pretty deep.
>>
File: IMG_20220512_180228.jpg (898 KB, 2312x1040)
898 KB
898 KB JPG
Would it be inadvisable to house 5-7 cloud minnows in a 1/4 full 16gal?
There would be a very small layer of gravel if so, more of that floating green shit and I can throw moss cuttings in there with some sticks.

Pro;
Aye more fish
Room temp can be kept a constant 62-68f
Filtering capabilities unknown but 'natural'
Significant X/Y footprint
Water should be well-oxygenated

Cons;
Filtering capabilities unknown
Yo where's the fuckin' water
I feel like I'm asking despite feeling it's unsuitable
Would need a chiller/TEC of some sort during summer as outdoor temps easily hit 80f, no A/C.

Conclusion: I didn't know you could expand the comment field despite using 4chan for the last 16 years.
>>
>>4167746
after all that I neglect to mention that the water would not be that cloudy, as I've just added a bunch of clay to the moss substrate to combat drying and that the water level would be at 13/14cm max, tape for reference.
>>
>>4167586
i remember seeing some test that someone did that showed squeezing a filter once was okay but two squeezes was too much
>>
>>4167798
Never seen/heard about that, but I do know cleaning them 100% in tank water should still be avoided.
It sounds retarded and I have no basis for it, but I wash my filter material staggered i.e very coarse and medium, then the next time I wash them it's fine coarse and fine that get the treatment. I clean the pipes out harder than Johnny Sin every time though. Fuck those filter pipes with a fat pig.

With single-filter er, filters, a half dozen squeezes to get that chonky exterior film shit off and put it back. Needs to flow but also needs the bacteria anchored within.
Just my 2c. No tradebacks.
>>
>>4167746
White clouds really want some flow, that's going to be a hard setup for them. If you're really desperate for fish in there, medaka would be better, or mosquitofish but they're boring to look at.
>>
Welp, the guppy fry I got from the breeder as a freebie is female. And the other guppies in the tank are 9 males.

Poor thing gonna get raped to death. But only other option is putting it in a 3.5g with a betta.
>>
File: IMG_20220512_102235474~2.jpg (379 KB, 1488x1543)
379 KB
379 KB JPG
>can't cross breed
>tries anyways

Based retard
>>
>>4168078
Nice
>>
>marimo meme balls aren't in stock anywhere because of freshwater zebra mussel invasion
WHAT THE FUCK. when did this happen??
>>
I'm the op of this aquarium >>4163895
What would be a good hideout to add on the right side? I think my fishes would benefit from more places to hide (and especially the shrimp if i ever get it)
>>
>>4168243
I would just have the ohko stone stand upright and probably add a couple more.
>>
File: sterbai-cory.jpg (175 KB, 850x544)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
What's your favourite kind of Cory, /aq/?
>>
>>4168223
I bought some a few months ago off ebay because idgaf.

>>4168281
Sterbas are neat looking. Hastatus are cool because they act like tetras. Habrosus are tiny and cute. So those three.
>>
>>4168078
hot
>>
I finally got a TDS meter. This is awesome. Ten bucks well spent.
>>
How often to add in root tabs?
I got some valisneria and added a tab under both plants, starting to see some side shoots forming but only a few new leaves. I tried to grow some swords previously and they never really put out roots even with tabs.
Would they need less when they are starting to grow or more?
>>
is there any eurofag alternative to this or do i really have to buy this from burgerlando?
I don't want to dose anymore
>>
>>4168223
Easily a year ago.
It was a big deal.
>>
>>4163767
How do I get rid of hard water? Am I going to have to buy a reverse osmosis filter?
>>
>>4168617
dilute with distilled or rain water or use RO pretty much, hardness usually comes with kh which makes reducing ph a pain in the ass otherwise. but hard water isn't a bad thing. soft water is only needed to breed certain south american fish or if you're trying to larp a biotope or some shit. The vast majority of fish, outside of breeding, don't really give a shit if pH is 6.5 to 8.5.

I have soft water and the only good thing about it imo is that getting soft water harder is much easier than getting hard water softer.
>>
>>4168617
you can also haul jugs to the ro machine at the store, or maybe buy a filter pitcher if you get one that actually works and you only need top off water
>>
>>4168442
>TDS meter
What's an average read for 'don't need RO, don't need to mineralize' from the tap, for aquariums?
>>
>>4168823
Typically you can find your city's water quality report if you want to check what's actually in your tap water. But if you want a broad general answer I guess 50-200 for most fish. Depends on the species really.
My tap is around 500 and I'm pretty sure they just use dechlorinator at the local pestmart
>>
Damn I just found a freshwater hydra for the first time. I bought some plants from a lfs and they had all kinds of cool stuff in them I'm still discovering months later. I'm guessing this thing is surviving on all the copepods that are from there too.
Anyway, who would win in a fight, hydra vs baby snails?
>>
>>4163767
Is room/natural light enough for a fish only saltwater tank?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (98 KB, 520x849)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>4168862
We get reasonably confident water reports, from each of the treatment stations that supplies the city I live in. I just didn't really have anything to compare it with, unless I went around checking rando municipalities abroad and even then there's not much context for my brain smoothin'.
>>
File: sneek.png (110 KB, 292x311)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>4168910
Depends entirely on exactly how much light it's getting, I guess.
Literally under a window, it's probably getting enough. Tucked in a corner that doesn't get morning or afternoon incident light, prolly not. That said, I've never kept salties lololol.
>>
>>4164673
>I call this the floridaman strategy, so many random reptiles some floridaman caught out of his back yard available on morphmarket. Also in Florida you can find wild invasives of decent quality and sell them, tons of oscars, plecos, etc.
Is Florida really as bad as Youtube made me believe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjtaxNqwZk

This dude caught a green spotted puffer. Feels dubious, but you never know.
>>
>>4169049
Florida is two sets of long beaches with various types of bogs and swamp between them, filled with the elderly, rednecks, and Cubans. It's a weird combo, not a bad state, but results in having several distinct biotopes that are perfect for east Asian or south American invasive critters to survive.

Jokes on them though, there's a metric fuck ton of predators that will eat anything introduced, it just pushes put some local fish. Stuff like Plecos in Texas rivers are way more damaging because there aren't big ass gators that will eat anything they can catch.
>>
>>4168550
just do kalk bro
>>
>>4169049
I checked out the rest of his videos and they're almost all about finding common aquarium fish in the wild. Sounds fishy to me since he's probably making good money off all this.
There are a fuck load of invasives in florida though, that's just a fact.
>>
Anyone ever caught local fish for their pond? I want some tadpole madtoms and sticklebacks rather than boring ass goldfish, but nobody actually breeds and sells them.
>>
Oops, guess the Karens don't like being told that their baseless opinions don't matter
>>
>>4169179
betting 10 bucks that you simply acted like a smug autist
>>
>>4169187
Idk, is posting "if you haven't kept more than a betta, fuck off with your opinions" smug autist?
>>
>>4168550
A single dosing solution or something that automatically dissolves? Single solution there's All-For-Reef. If you want something that automatically dissolves that's pretty tough. I don't have a whole lot of faith that that product even works as advertised as solubility varies too much. Even if it does what it claims and dissolves based on PPM of each element (seems unlikely), solubility would still increase/decrease with temperature, flow, and pH and not even necessarily at the same rate.
>>
>>4169190
yes. but its also justified. autism is good and im tired of pretending its not. dilettantes with one five gallon tank and maybe a crested gecko and a bird or some other basic bitch shit they bought because youtubers told them its the best pet want to offer their opinions on how you're running a $3,500 discus display tank. like if you're going to comment on that shit just say "oooh pretty fish" like all of the other normalscum because its all you're qualified to do.
>>
File: 1aiHz3G.jpg (401 KB, 1985x1702)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>4169190
nice crab
>>
>>4166314
I've done a tank purely with red crystal shrimp and galaxy rasboras. It was fine as the those fish were more skittish than the RCS. I started with 10 and six, respectively, and the RCS flourished. This was at the same time of introduction as well so I didn't even need to get the colony established.

>>4166328
I've found this to be untrue. I have kept endlers. They are hungry little fucks, and that's the males. Females are fucking carnivorous whales.

I've had quite a bit of experience breeding blue neos, yellow neos, and red crystal shrimp (caridina) with various combinations of galaxy rasboras, endlers, a betta, mollies, neon tetras.

By far the most successful was a tank with shrimp only (obviously), but second most successful with any tank with just galaxy rasboras and one kind of shrimp. I've done tanks with both neos and caridina and those did simply okay. Mollies were obviously the worst combo but those were just my culls anyway. The neons were surprisingly not great with them as mine are excessively food aggressive (I think they learned from mollies when I still had them). My betta was pretty chill with them but I only introduced them to him when he was in his later stages of life (he was almost four years old at that point and only lived to ~4.5).
>>
>>4169194
>autism is good
lol
>>
>>4169198
Thanks, enjoy my latest burner account
>>
>>4166328
Ottos, not endler's. Endler's are just sleeker guppies, so are OK if you have plenty of cover but they'll cut down on your shrimplet survival rate, and drive your colony to be more skittish over time because those are the ones that survived tinyhood. That's been my experience anyways, though it's less extensive than the other dude's.
>>
File: snail.jpg (3.06 MB, 4032x3024)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
At first I thought the scratches on his shell were him rubbing against rocks, but every other tank i have doesn't have marks like this and they have sharper rocks.
No, these are fucking bite marks from my betta who constantly attacks him like he's some sort of punching bag. Literally a 2 inch pitbull
>>
If I wanted 3 oscars, should I stick to a 75 gallon or can I get away with a 55?
I’m willing to keep only 1 or 2 of that’s what’s needed
>>
>>4169257
In a 55 honestly I would probably do a single oscar. In a 75 you could do 2-3 but they'd have to be the right oscars, if you get a mean one it doesn't give much space for the other/others to get away from him. They're pretty sensitive to bad water quality (moreso than africans, big propensity towards HITH like a lot of south american cichlids) and also shit machines so if you're just getting in to them I would start with just one.
>>
>>4169241
>No, these are fucking bite marks from my betta who constantly attacks him like he's some sort of punching bag
He's obviously traumatized from lurking on KC
>>
File: IMG_20220513_133558947~2.jpg (1.93 MB, 4000x2042)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>mogged by the pediatrician's office
>>
>>4169404
not only do they have the spongebob pineapple but they have it in chrome. someone should do a whole tank in chrome
>>
is Xenopus laevis a nice aquarium pet? i have about 60L aquarium to use for it
>>
>>4169257
Keep in mind a 55 and a 75 are both 4 feet long, so you get more depth with the 75 and almost the same floor space.
Territory is going to be the big problem with a tank that size. Fighting with cichlids is normal but if they can't get away from the fight they just end up killing each other.
>>
>>4169407
Honestly the whole thing is fantastic in a campy 60s way.
>>
>>4169404
>platinum spongebob pineapple
this is the award you get for a lifetime of keeping tanks with fake plants. Honestly if you remove that, the fake coral and the castle this could be a decent look tho...
But I respect the pineapple because it's a high level shitpost.
>>
>>4169404
The fake coral is the worst part for me. I can understand having a platinum spongebob pineapple for the kids but the fake coral just looks out of place and tacky to me
>>
>>4169365
I hid the loli banners because he was upset by them. desu nu-kc sucks, too many actual unironic pedophiles, there's at least 3 little girl/little boy threads open at any time. If I could murder people through the internet I would make that board a better place.
>>
Is building an aquarium/paludarium like ones SerpaDesign makes realistic as a beginner? I don't want to do anything crazy but i would like to do a tank with live plants and some custom structure, with maybe a beta fish or shrimp. I have a decent 4' tank im not doing anything with and would like something pretty to put in it. I keep up his husbandry and am willing to learn. I just have no idea how intensive these things are and dont have any experience with keeping aquatics beyond some fish i had as a kid
>>
>>4169547
I don't watch YouTube garbage but no, this isn't a hard hobby unless you make it one. Get hardy fish, put in low light plants and inert rocks, and it's pretty idiot-proof.
>>
>>4169547
By building you mean making the enclosure itself, right? Yes and no. You can do it, but I recommend starting off with just a basic bitch tank or two because it will let you get the hang of caring for the animal while you think about what you might want for a custom build while also letting you spend some time boning up on fundamentals.

AND it gives you a fallback if and when your enclosure fails. Which your first ones often will have some problem, especially if you want to make custom all in ones like some of the stuff he did with built in pumps/filters. The exception to this is making an internal sump which I think anyone could do, because it's not a big deal if it isn't perfectly tight. I think it's also a good option for some kinds of tanks. I've considered doing it with like a 75,siliconing in some black plastic about 4'' from the back and just filling the entire false back with sponge to make an invisible matten filter. I think Dean actually does that with his tanks and I have a 5 gallon set up like that that I love.

If by building you mean just doing some scaping, absolutely and to some degree I think including some live plants can make your life easier. If you're not 100% set on a certain 'look' I guess. Plants do make things more difficult if you're trying to get them to grow/look a certain way but if you just want some nice greenery there are tons of easy plants that basically grow themselves. And the hardscape is just having an eye for design.
>>
>>4169563
>>4169565
Okay ty. Yeah i'm just looking to scape a tank. I have a big tank and stand already. I think I would like to have a pump with a waterfall effect. Again not anything crazy and im not too concerned with it looking amazing. I also have experience with design and general small scale construction. So i'm not completely a novice with that sort of thing. Ive just never worked with water before and it feels like very new territory for me.
>>
>>4168689
>>4168746
My turtle has hard water stains on it’s shell and I’m trying to get rid the hard water in it’s tank.
>>
File: 20220513_174510.jpg (2.66 MB, 4000x3000)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
Added some shrimp today and the last darters seem to be getting along fine with them. I really hope the stickleback don't kill them.
>>
>>4169619
I'm surprised, don't most darters eat small crustaceans as their main food?

Also, based native tank keeper adding neo shrimp.
>>
>>4169619
he's eyeing that sweet succulent cherry booty.
>>
>>4169619
What parameters do you keep those native fish in? Do you have anything unusual like particularly high or low flow? Do you get them to breed or just wild catch?
>>
>>4169628
Bigger darter species like rainbow darters definitely eat things like mayflies and small crayfish, but the species I have in my tank right now are least darters, which only get about as big as they are in that picture. I can barely get them to eat the bloodworms that are about the same size as the shrimp are right now. They are also the smallest freshwater fish in Canada.
>>4169645
>What parameters do you keep those native fish in?
Around 72-74 degrees fahrenheit, ph really doesn't matter much for them but I keep mine neutral.
>Do you have anything unusual like particularly high or low flow?
Just a hang on filter is all I use. People say that fish like darters, dace, and other river dwelling fish absolutely NEED high flow, but in my experience it barely affects them.
>Do you get them to breed or just wild catch?
I just catch mine for the sake of keeping them, darters work on a seasonal mating cycle and seem like a huge pain in the ass to breed. Although, I do have a pair of stickleback right now that are putting on some weird breeding behavior.
>>
>>4169690
Any pics you could post? Do you enjoy watching them, are they very shy or interesting to watch? I like the idea of native fish, but never actually kept any.
>>
>>4169717
Yes, it all depends on what kind of fish you get. In my experience, sculpin, mud minnows, madtoms, and fantail darters specifically tend to hide a lot. But for the most part, they are more interesting than a lot of the fish I see in some tanks. I like darters alot because they spend most of their time at the bottom of the tanks, which always makes it cool to see how they interact with the different caves and spaces that they can get themselves into. The fish in pic relates are two kinds of riffle dace, which are long nose dace and blacknose dace. At first I thought they would fight because they are different species but they all ended up following eachother and being great fish. They are just a pain in the ass to photograph because they never stop moving.
Also yes, this is the best picture I could get of them. They are that hyperactive.
>>
File: 20220513_192509.jpg (1.81 MB, 3000x3965)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>4169764
This is one of my brook stickleback, they only get about an inch and a half.
>>
File: 20220513_185910.jpg (1.94 MB, 3000x3865)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>4169768
Final picture because I don't want jannies getting all anal about me contributing to the thread. Also it's a pretty cool pic.
>>
>>4169764
>>4169768
>>4169774
These are great, thanks for posting!
>>
>>4169257
I hate you
1 oscar: 75 gallon
2 oscar: 125 gallon
More oscar: your broke ass cant afford that
>>
>>4170049
>ARBITRARY NUMBER
>ARBITRARY NUMBER
>YOU HAVE TO DO THE ARBITRARY NUMBER
a 55 is fine for a single oscar, there's not much point in not going to a 75 at that point but whatever. I largely agree that if you want more than one 100+ is probably needed and 75 is pushing it/trying your luck but if you got two chill oscars they could conceivably work (until one day, it suddenly doesn't). Is it "ideal" from the perspective of the fish having lots of room? No. But neither is keeping oscars in a glass box of basically any size in your house.

As long as a fish has enough room to move around without touching the glass at all times and enough volume to not die in its own waste, its hard to really argue from an objective point that a tank isn't big enough, with the exception being darty fish that will slam into the glass when startled but that's not oscars from my experience.
>>
File: 20220514_045325.jpg (1.72 MB, 4000x3000)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
OK so this is pretty crazy. My stickleback have made 2 nests behind all the limnophila. They are the little brown balls attached to the stems. Pretty crazy shit going down.
>>
File: 20220514_045312.jpg (1.69 MB, 3000x3987)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
>>4170218
Second nest right here. I've never bred any kind of fish in my life so if anybody could give me some insight on this that would be great
>>
File: IMG_20220511_133752.jpg (2.8 MB, 4000x3000)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
The cryptocoryne in my tank aren't doing so well lately, past week I've noticed the leaves are looking like this. They've been fine for months but now they look like this. I've added a hillstream loach and 6 leopard Danios, and 3 assassin snails to the tank but I doubt they could've caused this. What's happened to my plants?

I was going to remove them anyway and put them in my other tank to make room for more algae covered rocks, so I'm not bothered that they're not doing so great, I just would like to know for future and if whatever's affecting my plants won't hurt my fish
>>
>>4170220
>>4170218
Not kept them but a quick Google search says they're annual nesters. Male builds a nest, dances at female, female gives him pity lay and puts 100ish eggs in nest. A week later, babbies're formed.

Happens between late April and late June, so right on schedule. I hope your dude knows how to dance - it'd be pretty rough if there's just a pair of them and the female rejects him.
>>
Can I extend intake/output of a small canister filter by like 6ft or will it have issues moving the extra water?
>>
>>4164418
Shrimp an rocket killifish, both easy to care for don't need a heater depending on where you live, and I'm always able to find someone wanting them without effort.
>>
>>4164467
You don't, why do think that? I use Daphnia to feed my baby fish just put 10 adult Daphnia with your fry and the baby Daphnia are small enough for the fry to eat, Daphnia don't require anything special just regular tank water and powder food such as yeast or pea flour + regular flour
>>
>>4170489
Will probably work but expect to have parts on motor wear out faster than if it were shorter.
>>
>>4170505
If you know how to successfully keep colonies of cherry shrimp then spend the money on rare coloration, you can easily keep 50 shrimp at a time in a 10 gallon with lots of plants, selling $3-7 a shrimp depending on color plus selling plants you can make close to $215 every other month, but if you don't have experience with shrimp take the time to breed them for a while and get your parameters stable, you can sell plants while you play around with shrimp breeding
>>
How many neocaridinia shrimp can I keep in a 3 gallon tank? I've got one lying around and I'm considering using it as a shrimp/snail tank.
>>
>>4170531
Caridina shrimp will sell for more since they have a lot more color patterns that are arguably cooler, but they do have different water parameter needs so do your research
>>
>>4170532
like 15 or so, the biggest thing with smaller tanks is the water parameters can swing a lot faster which in my case is the #1 killer of shrimp, use plants to help with that
>>
>>4170532
The shrimps decide. They will breed as much as the tank can sustain.
>>
>>4170535
I'm thinking of growing some hornwort and some floaters in there with the shrimp. Anything else to prevent the tank from crashing?
>>
>>4170532
my 2.5 gallon has about 30-40 neocaridina shrimp at any given time. this includes babies and adults.
>>
>>4170548
Ya if you have lots of fast growing plants ammonia won't be a big issue, mainly focus on pH, GH, and KH crush coral will deal with all three of those things, and there are things you can do
>>
File: tiger-shrimp.jpg (139 KB, 500x333)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
what's the bare minimum equipment setup for a caridina shrimp? getting an unexpected bonus shipment of tiger shrimp from my supplier but I've only kept neocaridina, and the closest I've ever kept were amanos
>>
File: IMG_20220514_185852.jpg (2.44 MB, 2592x1944)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
My bristlenose plecos fugged and had kids. I didn't even know I had a male and female.
They're very cute but I don't have a tank big enough to hold 35 of these little suckers.
I'm ready to give them away if necessary, but how much should I expect to sell them for to the LFS or on craigslist if all else fails? I've got about 30 negritos and 6 or 7 albinos.
>>
>>4170860
$1-2/ea to lfs, $3-5/ea private sale
>>
>>4170860
bristlenose are always kind of in high demand, you can always score like 8-12ish bux depending on the local market. people sell them for like 15-30 bucks to hobbyists typically. really if you have 'whatever' quality fish, look at what a typical fish store charges and assume somewhere between 30 and 50% of that is a reasonable price to a store, of course the mileage might vary depending on their sales/demand, different towns have different customer profiles for example college towns, towns with a lot of military, anywhere with a lot of young males is mostly monster fish. family oriented suburbs usually do community tanks and easy/friendly shit like bettas, livebearers, goldfish, etc.
>>
>>4170928
Oh and I should clarify if you sell them as is at a small size you will get a much lower price for them because fry fail to flourish often. If you grow them out a bit you can get a higher price. But it may or may not be worth it.
>>
How to lower ph a little? I'm using basalt as substrat and my ph os 7.0 to 7.2.

Os there a way tô make the water softer or this Will burro my fish?
>>4170860
Qt afuck
>>
>>4170944
Driftwood, leaf litter, and the like will slightly lower pH.
>>
I'm cycling my ten gallon, everything was going fine. Then I did a water change a couple days ago and now it smells like oil/petroleum. Before it was starting to smell like a normal fish tank. I'm using bacteria in a bottle to help start it and it seemed like it was working until now.
Should I do another water change or just wait it out? Run the light or not? There's nothing in there other than rocks and water. I could also get some fish poop from my other betta tank if it might help.
Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>>4171035
sorry thats my bad, i changed my oil and dumped it in your 10 because the nearest storm drain was too far away. try changing water again that should fix it.
>>
>tfw my biggest platy is sitting there vertically face down
she just gave birth and she was huuuge so i hope she's just recovering from a tough one, pray for her bros.
>>
>bought some weird S. repent subspecies a month ago for my tank
>barely grew, looks like shit
>had to replant half of it because some of the stems were coming out of the gravel
>ended up really hating it
Would it be bad for me to just say fuck it and toss it in the summer for some elodea?
>>
>>4167490
>>4167502
scotch-brite scratches the shit out of your glass. use mr. clean magic erasers instead. they're inert foam with no chemical additives and you can shove them right in the water to polish off the glass without issue
>>
>>4171224
fyi those are made of melamine like most asian soup spoons
the sponges are abrasive though and I wouldn't want the particles directly in my tank water
>>
>>4171239
melanine, that's right. is it bad?

i've been cleaning off algae with magic erasers for a month now and they haven't scratched or left particles
>>
>>4171267
Melamine with two M's, not skin pigment, lol.
The sponges get glass extremely clean and won't hurt it but will abrade plastic. I use them on my dishes once in a while but I fully wash them afterward. For me they tend to crumble from being used and particles that come off are visible with the naked eye.
You might not be old enough to remember but back in the day there was a huge scandal about cheap pet food containing melamine because it fooled the test for protein. Peoples' dogs and cats died because they were eating the equivalent of plastic. I'd be more worried it'd be abrasive to fish's gills, though.
>>
>>4170790
same as neocaridina. sponge filter, mature tank, lots of moss for them to graze off of. if you're getting crystals or taiwan bees, you will need a buffering substrate and RO to keep the pH and KH low if your tap water is hard. I keep my tigers in the same parameters as neos. wild type tigers in general are super hardy and can do well in a variety of conditions. the selectively bred ones like orange eye blue tigers like lower temperatures though. and those crossed with crs/taiwan bees prefer softer, acidic conditions.
>>
>>4171158
alright I did a 100% water change.
when I did that began to suspect the towel I used to dry the lid. although the smell is definitely in the water that came out. it's faint but it just ain't right.
>>
>>4171368
thanks for the tips anon
>>
/aq/, is there a way to survive a massive nitrite spike plus an ich outbreak at the same time or am I totally fucked? After being stable at less than .25 with about 40PPM nitrates they spiked to 3.0 and nitrates have stayed stable. No ammonia in the water either; could it have been overfeeding?

I've been regularly dosing with SIC and Prime and nothing, my tiger barbs are dying one or two every day and my rainbow shark has disappeared into thin air. My gouramis and Buenos Aires tetras and cories do not seem to give any shits about the ich either, they're totally fine. What gives? Do I just keep dosing and doing 20% changes and pray, or is there some secret sauce I'm missing?

>>4169179
r/aquariums is the worst place on the entire internet by far, you could probably have more civil discussion with poorly socialized, bloodthirsty African child soldiers that speak virtually no English
>>
>>4171558
It sounds like either your cycle crashed for some reason ason, and the ammonia bacteria are now numerous enough to convert it all to nitrite. The ich outbreak is almost certainly a symptom of the water parameters, it's a bacteria that almost every fish has and keeps at bay when healthy. I'd guess one of your fish died somewhere you can't find it and it's rotting, which is spiking ammonia - ammonia converts to nitrite at more than 1:1 ratio so if ammonia went way up, but all the bacteria roughly doubles in 24 hours so if you have a cycled tank you shouldn't ever see nitrite for more than a day or two and usually much less.

Also, prime as a "detoxifier" of ammonia is a straight up lie. There's never been any evidence it does that, except that people use it and their first sometimes survive - which also happens if you don't use it, as it so turns out. It's an effective dechlorinator but any other uses it claims are just bullshit to get you to use more of it, since there's very little regulation on snake oil and false advertising in this hobby.
>>
>feeder prawn is now more than 3”, possibly 4” inches
>>
>>4171663
Has it murdered the intended predator yet? Prawns are metal.
>>
>>4171201
NOBODY FUCKING PRAYED
its ok I forgive you guys tho
>>
>>4171670
F.
She's quickly overpopulating God's tank now.
>>
>>4171715
Live fast, breed often, die young. The livebearer's creed.
>>
I know Aqadvisor is retarded but their stocking calc has no difference between 20g high and 15g (same footprint, 4" height difference). The larger amount of water generally will give more bioload capacity, right? Does the extra height have any other benefits to behavior-related stocking issues, or is it mostly beneficial for tall fish?
>>
>>4171898
tall tanks are better for tall fish like angels and they have a smaller footprint which often makes them easier to shove in corners or whatever. I find that livebearers don't really care short vs tall dimensions but schooling fish like whiteclouds tetras etc or fish that have a generally preferred strata prefer length.

But yes 5 gallons is 5 gallons
>>
File: 20220515_191758.jpg (1.68 MB, 2970x4000)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
Found this plant at the pond today. It looks like a terrestrial plant that grew submerged. I hope it's something stupid like grass
>>
Is possible to put something with beta?
Aquarium is 30x20x30cm
>>
>>4172007
I'm doing the same thing, chucking pond and lake plants into my tank. What lights do you have on yours? Is it dirted?
>>
>>4172054
im using a nicrew classicled with tropica aquasoil and no co2
>>
Redpill me on wild form bettas. Are they like bred bettas but better in every way?
>>
>>4172077
i saw a group of Betrta patoti at a fish store the other day. they looked pretty based.
>>
If I'm using live plants and seachem prime, stability and flourish, how long do I need to cycle my tank and filter for?
>>
>>4172163
None of that speeds up the cycle. They make it more bearable for a fish before it’s cycled, but it’s a bandaid not a cure
>>
>kh test strip is blue
The chart only has shades of green, is this bad?
>>
>bleach dipped some plants
>add them to aquarium
>shrimp start acting really weird
>cant stand up, flicking their bodies around
randomly, some arent moving entirely
did i do something wrong bros? the fish and snails are doing fine
>>
>>4172211
Might have needed to rinse the plants more after the diluted bleach bath.

Could possibly be too late but you may want to water change or throw in some carbon.
>>
>>4172236
I did a water change about 2 hours ago. I have a carbon filter that i didnt add in yet aswell so i could try that. thank you
>>
>>4171960
>>4171898
>The larger amount of water generally will give more bioload capacity,
No. The footprint, or more accurately the area exposed to air tends to matter most for capacity because that is what matters for gas exchange. You can increase this with surface disruption but not to the extent that most people think. That is why aqadvisor treats a 20G high and a 15g the same, and for practical purposes it tends to work out the same. That extra water volume doesn't really help anyone.

Speaking from personal experience I've bred guppies, endlers specifically as well, mollies, neos, and caridina in various tank shapes and sizes ranging from a 5.5G, a 15G hex, a 20G tall, and a 20G long. The 20G long was better and it was nowhere near close. Fewer problems with algae (using the same plants, water source, lighting, etc), less fish aggression (surprisingly I had problems with this in even the 20G high with supposedly "peaceful" fish), easier 'scaping, better survivability of fry, easier to maintain, etc.

I've had other fish in these tanks as well, from bettas to dwarf cichlids to tetras of various sorts. Again, even between the 20G high and the 20G long, the long was the clear winner.

The only reasons I'd take a taller tank is:
1) The dimensions are getting really wonky, e.g. you're not realistically going to have a 4' x 8' x 1' high tank
2) I'm keeping exceptionally tall fish like angels and discus and certain pipefish or tall plants like crinium I might go with an annoyingly high tank like a 55G vs the far superior 40G breeder.

Even in the latter scenario, I'm not going to assume I have equal stocking to a wider tank. If I have to sacrifice footprint, I'll still sacrifice stocking.
>>
File: betta channoides.jpg (329 KB, 2000x1330)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>4172077
they are way better than the SMASHED and SLAMMED culls you see at petco and petsmart. you have your typical bubble nesters and your mouthbrooders. the smaller mouthbrooding species can be kept in groups while the larger ones can be kept in pairs.
>>
File: 20220516_033648.jpg (1.71 MB, 3000x3919)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
Is that supposed to be moneywort? I got it from a pond but I live in Canada, and there is no record of moneywort here from what I've seen.
>>
>>4172211
Always use a dechlorinator when bleaching stuff for aquariums
>>
File: IMG_20220516_135846.jpg (2.15 MB, 1800x4000)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
Looks like I was a retard for buying my tank from amazon :( do i really have to send glas trash back before i get my money
>>
>>4172571
lol. probably? idk. never ordered a tank from amazon besides an all in one with dummy thick glass. Ordering something actually nice just seems like a 50/50 on it being busted, 100% with my delivery people who chuck shit across the yard.
>>
My mystery snails finally laid eggs and I don't want them. Into the tank they go - thank goodness I'm in a blue state.

>>4172571
Just do the chat support and explain its broken glass. They'll ask for pics then send you a new one, that's what they've done for me with broken glass stuff, anyways.
>>
>>4172572
thankfully someone from support reimbursed my money and i don't have to send it back. Still shitty.
At least my lfs has the exact same tank, so gonna buy it there tomorrow
>>
>roof leaked somehow miraculously right in the tank for about 2 hours before i noticed
Fuck me, i immediately did a water change but how harmful can it be theoretically?
It's not just pure rainwater i'm concerned about, it passed like an attic's worth of gunk and debris, the water is brown when drops down on the floor
>>
>>4172611
Depends on the fish you have, just keep a close eye on them for now and test the water if you can
>>
>>4165230
>>4165236
ID on the large blue/ white shrimp?
>>
>>4165712
They breathe through their skin so too warm and muggy probably doesn't support the dissolved O2 for the typical life style.
>>
>>4166444
Hydrocotle will vine and rune
>>
>>4167895
Wouldn't that be close to a chilli rasboras natural home?
>>
File: sdf1sg.jpg (77 KB, 576x576)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>4164759
>>4164522

Any aquarium room set-up tips? I have at least 3 cycled 10 gallons. I think of just using a partial 15 gallon for fry, and use small containers for breeding.

This is after I make 2 tanks for daphnia because I read that it's easy to have a colony crumble. 1 for active and the 2nd for the next gen.

After much thought, I will either raise rice fish or show guppies and rare colored shrimps.

The initial cost is just haunting. ebay is the only place I'm looking at where I can find actual rare, nice looking shrimp colors. Is this a good route?

I also want to sell plants. Think they're the money maker. Issue here is if I should raise them with a community tank or just in a container with lots of liq ferts injected? And it's a super slow process, CO2 seem to be working a bit.
>>
>>4170505
Are there any other types of killifish? Are they really easy to just breed and are super hardy too because they sound like a betta version of nano fish. Where do you sell your fish?

Is it any better to just start breeding from a petco batch? Or should I do the stupid ebay route of buying breeder fish?

I can't imagine online, the shipping and scams sound like a headache. Will craigslist work? I don't think my LFS would want a beginner breeder like me
>>
I'm so fucking tired of this canister filter.
Replaced the o ring and it did no good, sucking in air from the side I'm guessing because it leaks from the o ring if I turn it to the side.

Might just go buy a new one from petco tomorrow, how is the sicce 500? Works out to be cheaper and the same performance wise as the 407 I have now.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-SopmQ_SA8

How to recreate this?
>>
>>4173485
don't bury java fern. that picture has it buried
>>
>>4173535
i see those sometimes at my lfs, pretty rare though
>>
>>4173485
get a linear piston air pump or a high quality diaphragm air pump and run sponge filters/box filters/air driven undergravel filters. I'm running 15 or so tanks of various sizes off of an Alita-60 I got for $50 from someone leaving the hobby. The only tanks I use canisters and HOBs on are my bichir tank and my pleco tank because they are shitting machines. Keep the tanks in a heated or well insulated room so you don't have to run individual heaters in each tank. Most fish and freshwater livestock can live comfortably at around 70-75F. The fish you are planning to breed will do fine at those temperatures. light up the tanks using LED shop lights. if you plan on expanding, most of these shop light are linkable. if you're focusing on stem plants and other plants that require CO2, invest in a decent plant LED light.
>ebay
try aquabid, band, or buying from other breeders on personal, commerce websites first. the quality of livestock on ebay can be a gamble, especially if you're ordering shrimp. plants can be a money earner if you grow the right plants. mosses, easy to grow stems and red plants, swords, anubias, and other low tech plants sell fast. you can grow them with fish but if you want to focus on their growth, grow them emersed with high humidity or with CO2 injection. the substrate should be dirt or some sort of aquasoil and you can feed the water column with dry ferts. look up how to make mineralized topsoil and you can have a free/low cost substrate that can grow plants well.
>>
>>4173492
>A killifish is any of various oviparous cyprinodontiform fish. All together, there are 1,270 species of killifish, the biggest family being Rivulidae, containing more than 320 species.

Nope, just the one.
>>
If I place my tank next to a bright south facing window (no direct sunlight) do you think it’s enough light to grow anything low-light?
>>
>>4173834
Algea
>>
>>4173354
not OP, they look like blue bolts
>>
im about to rebuild my nano tank 30l and just put Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' in it and make some iwagumi shit out of it with some shrimps or so. any tips on what I should look out for?

something like this I guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_CZITb8-e4
>>
File: 20220517_154537.jpg (2.8 MB, 2991x3982)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
My dumbass blade of grass grew significantly in the past 2 days
>>
>>4174158
For reference this >>4172007 was it earlier
>>
File: Lugosi.jpg (1.42 MB, 2591x2565)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB JPG
My vampires found new homes
>>
File: Vlad.jpg (1.64 MB, 2250x2528)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20220518_115622.jpg (904 KB, 2312x1040)
904 KB
904 KB JPG
>>4174158
Look at that bad boy grow!
Grass growers unite.
>>
>>4174158
>>4174233
what is this, dwarf hairgrass?
>>
File: IMG_20220518_162425.jpg (216 KB, 624x1388)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>4174397
Idk, mine is just some moss I plucked from the backyard and it happened to be harboring grass.

Question: Does the API Nitrate test peg potassium nitrate?
>>
>>4174434
Nvm just realized I actually have everything to test.
The answer is I guess so, as it turned the solution from yellow to angerey red.
>>
>>4174434
feel like if its not aquatic grass that shits just gonna get 2 inches tall and then start rotting and melting without really spreading
>>
>>4174448
No idea. I guess we'll have to check in with aquariumgrassAnon on occasion.
I see plenty of grass starting emersed around lake shores and then blasting a foot up out of the water to continue its gluttonous spread.
>>
>>4174397
The stuff that's closer to the bottom, yeah that's hair grass. I actually found that too in a pond.
But the big stem growing out is just some weird blade of grass or something, and it's been doing pretty well so far. I'm expecting it to break the surface soon.
>>
>>4164742
anon do you have a sparkling gourami and multiple kilifish in a 1 gallon bowl...
>>
>>4164742
What were you feeding the killis?
>>
what's the dust like in your house? because mine is enough to make cups of water taste like shit in the morning and I always wonder if that makes keeping an aquarium harder
>>
>>4174573
Tanks typically have lids, so that shouldn't be an issue. I would advise against adding considerable humidity to a house that is rather dusty.

Do you have hardwood floors and/or live in a windy/arid environment?
>>
>>4174578
concrete floors. extremely dry air. weird local (micro)biome. I already know about the box fan filter trick. I just don't want to end up with a tank full of nasties. Reading about stuff like vibrio and ecoli is the scary side of biology.
>>
>>4174595
Is giving the concrete a good scrub/clean with HCl and sealing it with an epoxy or water barrier paint an option? If not, just pop a lid on the tank - simple as.
Miles away from anything like silicosis, but it's something I've had to treat in """"clean rooms"""" where the constant buildup of dust was some kind of black magic voodoo.
>>
Weird.

I have around 40 shrimplets, after gravel vacuuming, I sucked out a few, and 3 were too small to catch, so I just dumped the water and debris into my daphnia tank a few weeks ago.
Today I saw that they have starter to color up, while none of thrones left in the main tank has.

The daphnia tank is sunlit and warmer.

Thought on this? Do shrimp hide their colors to lessen aggression when kept highly stocked?
>>
>>4171654
Very late reply but I think you’re right. I did all the damage control possible but it wasn’t enough. I lost all my barbs and my rainbow shark, but it seems the horror is over for now. Going to keep treating for a week though until I do anything else.

Pour one out for my shark, he was like a friend to me. He disappeared for several days, then reappeared looking happy and healthy with almost no spots. The next day I woke up and he was totally covered in them, when I came home from work he was stuck to the filter. I am unashamed to say that I cried like a little bitch.

My gf says I’m scum for burying him but flushing the barbs but she doesn’t understand the friendship we shared. He will be hard to replace. Here’s the last image of him in all his glory. Godspeed my friend, may we meet again someday.
>>
File: 20220518_160304.jpg (3.07 MB, 4000x3000)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
>>4164198
Add some bladder snails and mts or something similar, this will also help to cycle

Is this slime Dino? I had to move back in wkth my parents and Set up this Tank. It is in it's fifth or sixth month and since I put Clowns and a goby inside my dad is obsessed with feeding the fish.

I heard dinos are toxic to inverts, so far the hermits, emerald crabs and the porcelain crab is fine. As well as the plethora of snails.

My approach by now is that I dimmed white light and told me dad he can feed only once per day, I then bought some Premium bacteria Mix to compede those fucks and dosed it the first time today.

I also got dino poison but I didn't use it so far, I use frozen food so it doesn't taint the water as bad as flakes.
>>
>>4174614
Maybe it has to do with the nutrients you feed your daphnia, i had a densely stocked Tank with carbon blue rilis that turned into Black shrimp over time due to me never selecting. They are always Black when quarantined alone or when in a dense colony. I once had a little shrimp hospice Set up for one with parasitic algae and it lost a bit of color over time.
>>
>>4174955
Doesn't UV normally kill them? Won't they try and take off while the lights are out and then get obliterated if sucked into the filter? Or black the tank out for a while. I imagine that would piss the fish off, and maybe kill any plants you have in there. It will definitely make them die very rough though.

I don't own a saltwater tank and I'm a relative noob though, so I'm just spitballing.
>>
File: IMG-20220430-WA0008.jpg (208 KB, 899x1599)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>4167461
>>4165746
I am the guy with the brown slime in his reef, it's my second reef Tank and the first one to really give me trouble due to overfeeding my father does.

My first reef Was a 60 Liter cube with a lamp, a heater and a powerhead to make current. It supported various leather corals, duncans, galaxea and seriatopora without a Filter or a sump. Just some really good life rock and flow can do your biological Filtration if you FEED VERY LITTLE.

My current 160 liter slime farm Was running like an ace with the life Rock of the old Tank and a cannister Filter hooked up, seriatopora was even growing.

Then I put fish in and my parents decided to feed them three times a day without telling me until the slime plague came.

If you don't feed much you can have a little reef really easy, I just did the mistake of putting fish inside and thinking they won't get spoiled to fuck.

Here is a pic of the crab emperor
>>
>>4174990
thanks! I decided against the 40L and went with a bit bigger 57L one now. With the sump it should do really nicely.

Kinda thinking that it will kinda be overkill to add any filtration if I only want to have like one marine hermit crab in there + some fishies and corals, so I'm gonna decide against adding chaetos/refugium at first, and will observe nitrate levels and stuff.

>Here is a pic of the crab emperor
Very pretty!
>>
File: 1652895933134.jpg (141 KB, 1152x1194)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
What the hell is the appeal of glofish? Why are these abominations still being sold?
>>
>>4175106
they look like plastic
>>
>>4175106
They're illegal in my country, not that I'd want them. Poor fish.
>>
>>4175106
made to appeal to kids with their spongebob ornaments, clown puke gravel, and their 2-4 gallon plastic aquarium kits
>>
>>4175106
they got the genes from coral I believe. so it's kinda like trying to get saltwater colors in freshwater
every time I see those gmo fish they look sickly. I guess it's still somewhat better than the old hand painted/injected ones they used to sell
>>
>>4174977
A Black out could help, they seem to Tag Team with diatoms and those also want White light as far as I know. So far the chunks I removed or did let go into the Filter didn't grow back. I turned off the UV sterilizer to give the bacteria Mix some time, tomorrow it is going back on. I just worry a Blackout will murder the corals as well, they are already pretty pissed because of the brown snot. I also got dino poison I will resort to if necessary, though I Was told to really carefully underdose it because it will also attack coral.
>>
>>4172280
Does anyone have a list of smallest to biggest betta?
>>
File: calcinus_elegans_1.jpg (114 KB, 900x900)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>4175045
That is a good approach, you can also use a cannister Filter instead of a sump if you Lack space. Though a sump is better, I wish I had Filter socks in the overfed Tank.

I personally like the 60ish liter size because you can do a water change of 20% really easy, if your corals start sulking or something goes wrong you can just Chuck water changes at it. With my 160 liter a qater change really pisses me off, it burns also a lot of Salt.

With hermits depending on the species you can add multiple actually, Clibanarius Tricolor are relatively small and you can keep like 3 of them in there. They are cool and hang around with their frens, plus they are rather peaceful if enough snail shells are there.
If you want one big and mean hermit that will happily murder other hermits but looks super cool you can take a single Calcinus Elegans (pic)
Fish in that size are a bit icky, I Was advised against putting marine fish in a Tank that small. But after getting a lemon coral goby I am positive it would work in that size.
Nassarius snails are pretty cool as well and I can only recommend duncan coral, they are pretty cool, you can feed them for your entertainment and growth and they are basically bulletproof for a lps
>>
>>4174959
I feed the daphnia shrimp poop:y
But there is a lot of live green algae

What is parasitic algae?
>>
File: IMG-20220502-WA0007.jpg (1.06 MB, 2160x3840)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>4175045
Here is the "lemon" coral goby, turns out they also come in brown and grey. They want some sps, if possible acropora to live in. I gave mine some seriatopora it was chilling on at first, then he ate some polyps to put it on life Support and now he ignores the colony as well as the other seriatopora colony. He just chills on the stones and in caves and sometimes on the glass.
>>
>>4175179
Are there fish with your shrimp that have little color? Maybe they stay uncolored out of fear, fish tend to stress them a bit. Maybe the many shrimp take a lot of Minerals from the water for All their shells, I have some mineral stones I give them once a month.

The algae is pic related, it looks deceptive like eggs if you don't know about them. But if you do you can never unsee it. They are a secondary parasite so Shrimps might have it without any Symptom or trouble, if the shrimp's immune System has trouble it can break out and looks like pic related. If that happens it's game over for the shrimp and it can't bear eggs anymore. It is best to separate or euthanize it then to Not make it spread, the infected shrimp lived about 4 months after being separated with snails in the 10 liter hospice.
>>
>>4175106
And to no one's surprise they ended up in nature.
https://cogentoa.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01650521.2021.2024054
>>
File: dsf12sdgasfr3tg.png (139 KB, 292x158)
139 KB
139 KB PNG
1 of my tank's PH went up high

I saw 2 shrimps laying upside down. Seemed dead but one was moving its frills

Later on they were no longer found

I fixed the PH with a bit of baking soda. seemed to do the work. A shrimp that was laying upside down before the baking soda was nowhere found after application, and it was laying down dead for a good 2 hours

Do shrimps just play dead or try to molt but can't? I now see exoskeletons the day after the PH fix

Have I just been unknowingly murdering shrimps? How long do they stay still and upside down or how long should I give them? I'm sure the ones I saw were not eaten, I still have the same amount of shrimps after
>>
>>4175190
Ooof, thats awful, never knew anything like that existed..!

Idk, only stress in the main tank would be many shrimp, no fish
>>
>>4175252
Maybe they are just low on some nutrients, maybe switch up food or add some minerals.

The algae is pretty horrible but it is only an indicator something else isn't right, for example too much stress or poor water condition.

Mine came from a pretty cheap and shitty breeder, I first I thought it had eggs and only later saw the green/yellow tint and the shape of the Spore bodies. I guess the breeder had no clue/Was an asshole and just shipped it as or the transport Was the straw that broke the camel's back. As far as I know only neocaridina can get those tho, so anyone keeping caridina is safe.
>>
I have like 17 endler fry, in a 10 gallon with a mystery snail and like 30 neos.

Right now I'm feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp, is it ok to only feed them this? They dont really seem to be eating the community repashy that their parents and the shrimp in the tank eat.
>>
File: october and may.jpg (3.02 MB, 2536x3480)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>4169547
LIKE SerpaDesign, yes, hard. Making a planted aquarium with a nice hardscape layout, I wouldn't say hard but it does take patience and you will fuck up and your first tank will look like shit. Everyone's first tank looks like shit. This is my first tank in october versus like 2 days ago. The hairgrass all died except the little bit in the front that im trying to save now that I got CO2 like a month ago.
>>
>>4175305
Yes, that was a freshly filled uncycled tank. I super fucked up. And yes, I know it still looks like shit, but it's moving in the right direction.
>>
>>4175249
I asked here before and got the correct answer that they change color after they die. they start looking like cooked shrimp
>>
File: 20220517_220051.jpg (1.58 MB, 3000x3667)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
>>4174210
>>4174211
I want my crayfish to be friends with your shrimp
>>
>>4175390
He cute
>>
>>4163767
Can any experts tell me if declorinator plus tap water is safe for a saltwater aquarium? I heard RO water is a necessity if you want to keep saltwater or just buy saltwater at your LFS.
>>
>>4175457
depends what your tapwater is like.
>>
>>4175457
Possibly, but likely not. Saltwater life in general is extremely sensitive to water changes because they have such a stable environment - while the water around freshwater fish can swing pretty dramatically, and for at least a few hours, in pH, mineral levels, temperature, and flow, the water for salt water environments is close to static, or at least changes in a very predictable manner (seasonally, etc).

All of this is to say, if your tap water is very stable and doesn't contain anything that would prohibit it, you might be able to use your tap water, remove the parts you don't want (like chlorine) and add the right salts to get it to where you want. But you're better off just starting at pure water and adding what you know you want, as there won't be meaningful variability in the starting point, and it's easier to get "all in one" chemicals than all separately.

You really can't cheap out on anything for saltwater tanks, and a RO machine is a small investment in the long run.
>>
>>4175176
I def want a big and mean hermit crab, kinda like the centerpiece of the tank, duncan corals are def on my list! My current plan is finger leathers like toadstool, some nepthtealia and the Duncan coral. Gsp i'm not sure about, as I'm scared of ultra fast growing things like Xenia, even if they look awesome. Will get some zoanthids def too!
>>
Which are some apistogramma species that can be kept with blue rams?
>>
>>4175751
I used to have apistogramma viejita with a pair of GBRs. I would imagine they would all be fine though
>>
>>4163767

new
>>4175989
>>4175989
>>4175989
>>
>>4175106
I love em personally. To be honest I just prefer the color variety, I hardly use the blacklight. The orange barbs are absolutely gorgeous under the light against black sand. The shark you can hardly see though because he hides too often, but having extra choices of color beyond black and red is pretty cool. I’m picking up a school of ten zebras to put in my 75 once my tank recovers and I can’t decide between orange, blue, and red.
>>
>>4175993
Get 4 of each color and see how they breed out? If you get some weird mixed colors, you could probably even make some money off it, if you don't mind breaking a retarded copyright.
>>
>>4175256
Yeah, I now remembered I have fed the Daphnia with spirulina on occasion, that could be it:)

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.