[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 96 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ballinabowl.png (2.69 MB, 1800x1606)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB PNG
Ball in a bowl edition

This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

previous thread:
>>4141174
>>
File: Boelens.jpg (110 KB, 800x600)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
I want one bros
>>
>>4154709

I went to a reptile show last weekend and there was a guy with a couple carpet pythons for sale. It was tempting but I passed because he had a lot of imports at his table.
>>
File: orangeguana.webm (2.87 MB, 608x1080)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
>>
File: 3072319437247bb49099.jpg (199 KB, 500x454)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>4154709
>>>>>4154798
>>
>>4154709
Hope you have 10k
>>
I want a snake that looks like a ETB but is handlable
>>
>>4154940
Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa.
>>
>>4154709
>>4154813
The one that's at the san diego zoo is a little shit head that kept trying to get out.
>>
I went to a zoo recently and saw a Mexican beaded lizard for the first time. It surprised me how big they are, as I previously only had the Gila monster as a frame of reference. It was half-hidden under a log with its ass sticking out, so I thought it was a small monitor lizard for a moment.
>>
>>4155271
Just say kill. Why do so many insist on using euphemisms?
>>
>>4155401
Cull in that context is not a euphemism. Culling specifically refers to removing animals from breeding stock according to desired or undesired characteristics. Usually kill but not always.
>>
>>4154941
Bros start breeding them more. They are fucking expensive here in Europe!
>>
>>4155414
They are expensive everywhere sadly.
>>
>>4155401
>In biology, culling is the process of segregating organisms from a group according to desired or undesired characteristics. In animal breeding, it is the process of removing or segregating animals from a breeding stock based on specific trait. This is done to exaggerate desirable characteristics, or to remove undesirable characteristics by altering the genetic diversity of the population. For livestock and wildlife, culling often refers to the act of killing removed animals based on their individual characteristics, such as their sex or species membership, or as a means of preventing infectious disease transmission.
retarded ESL
>>
>>4154811
>snaps and rips your nose off
nothing personal
>>
>>4155416
thats your opinion
>>
>>4155401
I wasn't using a euphemism, you don't have to kill to cull. An RI would be an immediate hard cull for me nowadays since I don't use antibiotics, but prolonged sneezing is just a soft cull unless it progresses to RIs. Some sneezing here and there that's short lived may or may not end up being a cull, sometimes I'll still breed from them, just depends. These are established hobby terms, they're not opinions.
>>
>>4154720
You found the right site. It's a commentary from the latest id confirm for Owl. If you can't see it let me know. It should be accessible from public url browser access. Time is almost out
>>
>>4155538
What the fuck
>>
>>4155529
Cool.
>>
>>4155538
>who is violet?
>where are the owls?
>for what reason are they being identified?
>why is time almost out?
Strange, ambiguous, foreboding
>>
File: gila-monster.jpg (186 KB, 1600x900)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>4154999
Gotta love Heloderma
>>
Bros, I'm getting a pixie frog soon. However, now I'm stuck on how to do the setup. I'm tired of the basic Eco Earth, water bowl, a hide, and a plastic plant setup that are made for Pixie and pac man frogs. I would preferably want something close to their open grassland pond they live in in the wild. Is there any substrate that looks similar?
I was originally thinking mixing eco earth with excavator clay, but I'm not sure the safety of it bc as far as I'm aware it hasn't been done
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA4nIRKZ1m8
>>
>>4155601
clay and topsoil or something would work fine, but would likely make a bit of a mess. you should be able to get away with it though
>>
>>4155601
I'd doa 40 gallon breeder, and like 4-6 inches of clay, sand, topsoil, and coco coir, blended. Plant it with some tough aquatic plants and actual grass. Give him a nice piece of drift wood that can act as a hide, and a big rock or two for visual interest. Put the filter pickup in a bowl of leca or gravel that you've covered in geotextile fabric, and have the return cascade down one of the rocks.

He'll bulldoze shit all over the place, you'll have to cut the grass more often than you mow your lawn, and keeping the glass clean will be a bitch, but it'd be way cool.
>>
do dart frogs actually need uvb? i know a lot of breeders operate without it. i just dont want to fuck with lighting other than LEDs and i have a spot for a small enclosure but I don't want a fish tank there because it's too close to electronics.

the other thing i considered was a newt or something where the tank would only be 50% full, i've also considered a crested gecko but everyone is saying they need uvb now and the arguments i see for that are well considered. Don't want to deal with rodents or live feeders, only make an exception for wingless fruit flies because the fish also love them. I do have plenty of cull livebearers, shrimp, and snails though idk what would eat them besides some weird aquatic snake.
>>
>>4154941
>>4154940
I WILL get whatever ETB is available when I'm ready to get one, I WILL get it as a baby and I WILL handle it as much as possible, suffering until it's used to it
I just HAVE to
>>
>>4155271
I can't actually cull anything at this point I'm just starting.
>>
File: 20220501_154026.jpg (2.39 MB, 4032x3024)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
This is the weirdest shit my snake has ever taken, what the fuck, I thought it was a piece of potato
>>
>>4155895
Isn't this just hardened urine? Like, it only peed?
>>
>>
>>4155901
SO smug
>>
>>4155820
I heard they are not that evil if you handle them from young age and only handle them during the day.
Night-time is biting hell.
>>
>>4155899
They usually shit and piss altogether
>>
>>4155636
>I do have plenty of cull livebearers, shrimp, and snails though idk what would eat them besides some weird aquatic snake.
Dwarf frogs are cute and like shallow water set ups, and you can combine them with something like reed frogs in the upper half, or if you live in the US you can try cricket frogs.
>>
>>4155995
Dwarf/clawed frogs are illegal here unfortunately. Also I don't really like them desu. Something about the face. Also it sounds like crickets are the go-to feeder for reed frogs and I am not dealing with crickets again. Simply too annoying and no matter what, one will get loose eventually, hide some where and never stop chirping.
>>
>>4155636
Almost everything benefits from UVB, but a fair amount of stuff doesn't NEED UVB. Frankly, for stuff that needs UVB but doesn't need a monster amount of UVB, the newer LED UVB lights are probably adequate (I wouldn't use them for a Uromastyx or Iguana, though).
Most frogs and nocturnal lizards can get away with just supplement powders for their D3 needs, though.

Consider a feeder roach colony.

A Sulwasi Water Skink would be cook and would hunt the fish.
>>
>cook
cool
>>
Some weeks ago my BP went straight into hiding after a handling session.
Now he does not bother and keeps exploring when I put him back. I think I am a accepted branch now.
>>
>>4156280
Fantastic.
>>
>>4156280
Great job.
>>
File: large.jpg (517 KB, 800x533)
517 KB
517 KB JPG
There was a snake on my porch earlier. I think it was a northern water snake. I tried to take it far away with a broom handle but it slipped off and got into the shrubs. It never tried to fight back or bite even though the broom's bristles scared it. Cute little thing.
>>
>>4156463
cute
>>
Spring is now official. The geckos are active and making a ruckus this evening. One of my tank builds has corrugated plastic side walls and they make thumping noises when the geckos zip up and down them. Shuffle shuffle thumpy thumpy thumpy thump.
>>
I guess it's breeding season for this species of snake. Guess how I know?
>>
Mim
>>
>>4156835
*ahem*
mimi
>>
File: 1646170824391.jpg (249 KB, 1242x926)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>4155904
Why is he so fat and orange ?
>>
>>4156873
>>
>>4156873
Goddamn I wish Australians would stop being fags and let is have some of those morphs
>>
File: under1.png (2.84 MB, 1432x1325)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB PNG
Any anons that can tell if this T. lepidus is a male or female? I was thinking female, but I've been wrong before, so yeah..
>>
>>4157124
In my totally amateur and completey not to be taken seriously opinion, female. Given pic related, the hemipenal bulges would be WAY more noticable on a male.
>>
Just got myself a couple of white's tree frogs, I'm thinking I made the right choice in life. I dare you to try and ruin my day

protip; you can't
>>
>>4157178
they are gonna die in 15 years
>>
>>4157180
NTA but that seems like a pretty reasonable lifespan. Doesn't live forever like a tortoise, doesn't die fast like a chameleon. Hell, that's longer than some dog breeds live for.
>>
>>4157180
>i get to spend nearly 2 decades of my future with two absolute legends
say it aint so
>>
>>4156463
yep, that's Nerodia sipedon
>>
File: BTSkink02-1024x768.jpg (150 KB, 1024x768)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Now that the dusk has settled, what is the best substrate for (beginner) lizards?
I've been away from the hobby for a while and noticed that people aren't shilling newspaper/paper towel as a substrate as much as they used to
>>
>>4157217
Aspen
>>
File: 20220428_093902.jpg (1.23 MB, 2472x2646)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>
>>4157217
Depends on the lizard. Sand-heavy (50% or so) soil mix for leos and beardies, coir/cypress for more humid types like BTS's that don't come from the Aussie desert.
>>
>>4157124
female
>>
>>4157124
That's yours ? I didn't knew you could keep them in captivity
>>
Usually I wrap the frozen wrap into paper and let it sit on top of the enclosure for 3 hours so the heat panel will thaw it up faster.
But I wonder if having it thaw in the fridge for some hours would be better.
>>
You know those organizations or businesses or whatever that go to schools and events and bring snakes for kids to touch and learn about? What if one of those snakes bit a kid? Can they get sued?
>>
>>4157312
>Usually I wrap the frozen wrap into paper and let it sit on top of the enclosure for 3 hours so the heat panel will thaw it up faster.
I do the same, also the snakes get into feeding mood as they can smell the slightest hint of the mice even though I have them in a plastic bag.
>>
>>4157217
is that jaw rot there, or is he just a messy eater? (or did he ALSO make out with my highschool girlfriend THE FUCKING WHORE)
>>
>>4157315
>What if one of those snakes bit a kid? Can they get sued?
Yea
>>
>>4157312
>hot water
>frozen rat
>not waiting 3 hours
>>
>>4157312
human food safety standards would dictate an overnight fridge thaw, or submerging in cold water with a thin thread of cold tap water pouring into the vessel the rat is in, which overflows and keeps the water circulating like a low temperature sousvide. Prevents bacteria growth
>>
>>4157407
I wouldn't know I got this image from google
>>
>>4157312
sous vide mah nigga.

As fast as running it under the sink, but wastes less water and doesn't leave you with a soggy corpse, just a warm one.
>>
File: 12826478.jpg (67 KB, 463x847)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
I pulled out an old heater since I was moving my turtle inside from the pond before a cold snap tomorrow and found this brown buildup in it. Somebody suggested it might be a massive buildup of brown algae with silica skeletons since there was silica sand in the tank at one point
>1/1
>>
File: 12826479.jpg (35 KB, 466x836)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>4157828
>2/2
>>
>>4157828
>>1/1
1/2, ya big dumb
>>
>>4157828
maybe accumulated calcium deposits?
>>
>>4158012
fuck
>>
File: 1650872791386.png (199 KB, 615x410)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>
>>4159076
is that fucking carpet in the right picture? rip
>>
>>4159076
What's the vice grip meme
>>
File: z2jnscw1yiv81.jpg (961 KB, 3024x4032)
961 KB
961 KB JPG
>>4159147
>>
>>4159228
How are you supposed to smash and slam them if you don't grab em
>>
File: PXL_20220504_191606064.jpg (1.56 MB, 4080x3072)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
Had a nice big defecation yesterday and a full shed found this morning. ETB doing so well. I wasn't expecting to have so few problems with it
>>
>>4156004
Khullie loaches.
>>
>>4156004
What about an Axolotl?
>>
>>4156463
Those snakes a generally really chill. I once swam around a lake with one around my neck. It was clam the entire time.
>>
>>4159362
When will you move it into the bioactive terrarium?
>>
>>4159508
Probably next week. My heat panel came in, I'm just waiting on some final bits and bobs to attach it properly, then I want a few days of heat cycling to verify the thermostat is keeping it where I want. The mold has cycled down and most of the plants have all started growing new growth so are pretty stable, and the snake is not going to really be pulling them around at it's size
>>
>>4159527
very cool, crossing my fingers for you man
>>
Anybody know a good way to make a diy substrate tray for a dragonstrand hybrid enclosure? I want to have a fairly deep bioactive substrate layer for my giant leaf tail gecko.
>>
>>4159656
Wow! Nice. So by try you mean a container you can pull out if needed? Depending on how large we're talking you can do either some type of plastic sheet material (like high density polyethylene) or plywood and seal it. Sealed plywood will be less expensive.
>>
>>4159656
waterproofed wooden framework in which you staple a geotextile fabric/carbon fiber screen bag of sorts, into which you can set up your substrate? that way you can still take advantage of the drainage tray because it'll be sitting on top of the risers it has in the middle.
You could also go pvc pipe, plastic canvas, and zip ties. Or whatever really, provided you have a corrosion resistant frame and a surface permeable to water but that will still hold your substrate.
>>
>>4159754
I want some kind of container that's deep enough for small tree root systems like yucca and dracaena fragrans since they benefit from having tall vertical logs and trunks to rest on. I want to get him a female so I can try my hand at breeding them and they need the dense leaf litter to lay eggs in.

>>4159769
Originally when I had my jacksons chameleon I used those tree pouches, but it became sopping wet overtime. However the soil inside didn't get stagnant and retained an earthy smell so I'm debating trying it again, I just want something I can continue to drain out of the bottom the enclosure without losing my substrate. I like the idea of the treated wood with the weedblock/ geotextile fabric. I might even put some leca clay or hydroton at the bottom too for better drainage down into the drain tray, I'll probably make it just short enough to allow some airflow from the screen service door without completely blocking it since I worry about heat and stagnant humid air.
>>
>>4154811
It's like somebody stuck him in a bag of cheetos and shook it.
>>
>>4159778
Leca is definitelky a good idea, along with a geotextile/permeable layer on top of it as well, but the more I'm looking at the plastic canvas the more I'm thinking that may be a winner. Holes big enough for the water to drain right through without losing the soil, and a lot sturdier than the regular fabric. You could probably just seal the wood, staple gun the mesh in place, then silicone over the staples to prevent them from rusting.
>>
File: 1356762148256.png (1005 KB, 900x702)
1005 KB
1005 KB PNG
>Go to local reptile shop
>Only wood they sell is grapewood
>>
>>4159801
That's pretty common. Grapewood and cork bark. Don't be buying wood from pet store though. Stupid expensive when you can just go innawood and pick up some deadfall of reptile safe species (almost all hardwood is fine, no coniferous, no cedar). Bake or boil and you're set.
>>
>>4159801
>buying wood
Just walk outside.
>>
>>4160030
>>4160041
You say that but i went and stripped, bleached and baked a bunch of oak branches for my enclosure and in 24 hours they were molding everywhere they touched the cypress. The spider wood I got may have been more expensive but its hasnt had a damn thing grow on it in nearly a year of it being continuously slightly damp.
>>
File: 20180821_153350.jpg (116 KB, 716x955)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
Took this photo on August 21, 2018. I'm glad my interest in animals have never died out.
>>
>the SMASHED and SLAMMED morphfaggots have come for our garter snakes
I blame you, Snake Discovery. Loads upon loads of really neat looking natural mutations and localitirs available, and people do this shit.
I'll remind you that garters are fucking semi-fossorial. You took the protective armor off of a tunneling species, you fucking savages.
>>
>>4160481
>not breeding Skinless double get exposed-nerve
Pffff noobs
>>
>>4160493
>get
Het
>>
Anyone ever owned a California king snake? Give me the experience.
>>
>>4160500
I own one currently. He's a baby though. They're very food motivated and generally curious. He has a lot of personality. I have yet to be tagged but I don't really interact with him on feeding day, and I tong feed so when I do stick my hands in his tank he just checks them out and then hides again.
>>
>>4160500
>be me
>local wildlife center I visit a lot
>has a small reptile exhibit with a Cal King on display
>setup is atrocious (just aspen and waterbowl, hide had huge opening that faces front of tank so snake cant even hide)
>snake looks in a bad way too
>email and ask if they are willing to let me adopt snake
>few days later get response
>"what are your qualifications/credentials?"
>for a super entry level snake l
>literally on par with ball pythons and corn snakes
>never reply bc they clearly wont let me adopt
>few months later wildlife center gets shutdown for animal and facilities neglect
The one I had was a bit of an explosive eater, though im not sure how common that is in the species. There are a lot of naturally occuring morphs of this species. On occasion you may find these but its more common to find a morph produced by breeder. Great snakes overall
>http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/l.californiae2.html
>>
>>4160690
This is unrelated to Kingsnakes but I work at an AZA accredited zoo and I hate the snake enclosures they're all too small to stretch out and have the "hides" with front facing openings right up to the glass so they can never escape the hordes of screaming children day in day out. For some reason the boa doesn't even have substrate it just exists in a hell-room with painted fake plants on the walls as a background and a single stick to climb. I'm slowly starting to hate zoos.
>>
File: 04424.jpg (649 KB, 1600x1200)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
>>4160908
my local zoo does the same no substrate thing with the larger snakes, except for a green anaconda in the reptile room. They even have ball pythons what I assume is a repurposed display because its a tall enclosure with fake rock ledges
>>
>>4160927
oof. With more hides that'd be a great display for Cali rocky region species like kings or rosys. Or basically any arid-dwelling rattlesnake.
Nice enclosure but not for the animal they've got in there.
>>
>>4160500
Own a desert kingsnake, close relative.
He's the chillest snake I've got. Never shown defensiveness (but got him as an adult). When he's out he'll either nap in my arms or slowly explore.
Has gone on a hunger strike that lasted months, but otherwise strong food response and will try to eat whatever reaches into his enclosure half the time.
Cali kings, desert kings and MBKs are, as pets, essentially the same as far as care and personality - individual variation in personality is more pronounced than the difference in personality between species. That being said, desert kings are supposedly less food-aggressive than the others. I can confirm that mine only tries to eat me when reaching into his enclosure and never does the chomp while already being handled. But overall, go with whichever of the species you like the looks of the most and the rest is basically the same.
>>
Any herp Bois have any experience with chuckwallas?
Sorta considering one, they seem like iguanas but more manageable
>>
>>4160927
>that'd be a great display for Cali rocky region species
Ironic that you say that, this is in the Oakland zoo. However I think this enclosure is in the African section of the zoo
>>4161015
If you can get the money to get one they can be great. I believe collecting them became illegal in CA so most of what you will see will probably be captive bred or holdovers from when it was legal (or just probably wild caught in someplace its legal). I met a guy who had one and it seemed chill
>>
>>4161029
>>that'd be a great display for Cali rocky region species
>Ironic that you say that, this is in the Oakland zoo. However I think this enclosure is in the African section of the zoo
meant for
>>4160951
>>
File: chad chuckwalla.webm (2.9 MB, 1920x1080)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
>>4161015
>>
How dark do crested geckos need at night? I'm on my computer late and I'm afraid the glow is going to mess with their cycle. They're about 12ish feet away from my screen, though my chair and head would be blocking some of it.
>>
>>4161048
This is 5000% bro science but I have mine closer to the computer and I'm a night own. No problems and I've had 2 for 2 years. You could cover the sides of the terrarium to keep it a little darker.
>>
>>4161048
Same as this >>4161071 although the front of the tanks are not directly facing the screen. They really don't seem to care. I'm usually up and on computer until around 2am. Covering the sides of the tanks is a good idea in general anyway so it feels more secure towards the back side.
>>
>>4161071
>>4161074
Okay cool. I shoved a ton of branches, logs, leaves, hidey spots, ect. in there so there's a lot of spaces in the tank that are very dark, so I'm just gonna hope that's enough. I'll definitely look into getting some vinyl or something to cover the back.
>>
File: Vespucci_1.png (911 KB, 644x483)
911 KB
911 KB PNG
>>
>>4161131
hullo frog
>>
>>4161131
>WAKA WAKA WAKA WAKAs internally
>>
>>4161131
He's seen some shit
>>
What are the most aesthetic lizards I can get for a 55 gallon enclosure in my room?
>>
>>4161217
Depends on country and what you're looking for in terms of ease of care and interactivity.
>>
>>4161255
I'm in America, I'd like something somewhat an tolerate being handled. Is a chameleon the way to go?
>>
>>4161680
nope. Chameleons are pretty fragile and don't do great in glass.
55gal your best bet is probably smaller skinks. Fire skinks or emerald tree skinks are both pretty good options if you can manage high humidity. Schneider's skinks too, but they might need more space.
If you're open to upgrading to something like a 4'x2' enclosure, bearded dragons are bros.
You could also turn it into a mansion for a leopard gecko. Adorable and friendly but they'll be asleep in a hide most of the time.
Snakes are technically lizards, and you have more options there.
>>
>>4161680
No
>>
Hey frens, I want to ask here before I go to a exotic vet. I have a 3 year old female leopard gecko. She's in a 40 gallon long tank with a cold side and a hot side.

She has 3 hides and her Diet is dusted crickets with mealworns and a treat super worm a week or waxworm.

The average temp in her tank is 80F with the warmer side being 100F.

Recently she hasn't been eating. I mostly find cricket dead rather than being eaten and she refuses all worms. She hasn't eaten in a month 1/2 but doesn't appear to be sick beyond that. She poops and drinks water but most her poops are the white which I was believed to just be water.
>>
File: 20220506_134040.jpg (1.96 MB, 4000x1800)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>4161806
For ref this is her right now. I never really take her out of her home and I've heard of Gecks screaming never heard that ever. She's never dropped her tail and if I put my hand in there she just climbs on it never is skiddish.
>>
>>4161217
Green anoles.
>>
I am considering a blue tongue skink. My only hangup is that to give them optimal care you need a reasonably large enclosure, and buying one of those is going to cost a reasonable but significant amount of money. Is building an enclosure similar to what people do with bearded dragons (wood, tile, wire mesh, and plastic) realistic? I'd probably do something like a 4x2x2 if I go that route
>>
>>4161838
Unlike beardies blue tongues need high humidity, very high depending on locality. The exception to this rule is the northerns, but if cost is your concern I don't reckon you're getting a northern. So wood might not be the best option.
>>
>>4161806
>>4161832
Weight appears to be good. 100 on the hot side is a tad high but given the size of the tank it should be okay. Your gecko may be preparing to lay slug eggs. It's that time of year. You can put a bottlecap of pure calcium in the tank for her to use if that's the story. Also try putting a shallow container of slightly moistened coco fiber in the tank. If she is going to lay slugs she will use that to bury them. Regarding vet, I suggest you inquire about bringing in a fecal sample for them to test first instead of the full checkup. If there is a viral or bacterial infection it will be apparent from that.
>>
>>4161048
Another question. I bought loose coconut fiber substrate originally for him but I read the younger ones (I think mine is a few months) are retarded and will eat it then get impaction, so I decided to just use paper towels. Now I'm struggling with keeping humidity at a healthy level for more than a couple hours. I'm misting his cage probably 6 times a day.

What should I do? I noticed he didn't bother with the small chips that fell off the corkwood bark, just walked past them, so should I not be worried about him eating inedible stuff?
>>
>>4161882
What about pressure treated wood?
>>
>>4161882
Also I didn't mention, I don't mind paying money for the lizard, but another $500+ for an enclosure (+ freight shipping as I've never seen one locally and everywhere online ships them freight bc ground shipping isn't set up for fragile terrariums)
>>
>>4161838
>>4161882
a couple of people here, myself included, have or are building 4x2 enclosures out of plywood/OSB which have been sealed with drylok. materials (including decor and some shit I just didn't have already) have totaled close to about 500 for me, but I'm also building a hood and already put together and waterproofed smaller boxes previously as a materials test/proof of concept, so you could likely get away with cheaper.
see here for a decent guide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKMmcUes7HU
>>
>>4161912
They won't eat it randomly. Impaction risk is just from gobbling some up along with a feeder insect. You can put a container of it in most days and just remove that container when feeding crickets/roaches. Also partially covering the screen top of the tank with aluminum foil will help keep the humidity in. Around 75% covered is good. If you have an exo terra tank with the ventilation on the front, put tape over the holes.
>>
>>4161915
>What about pressure treated wood?
Not reptile safe. Don't use it.
>>
>>4161131
Nice filename and conceptually frog name.
>>
>>4161924
This. Properly sealed plywood is fine for humidity. Something robust like drylok for the interior where you'll have wet substrate or water in contact with it all the time. Basic poly sealant for the exterior. Make sure the edges are sealed.
>>
I finished by 4x2x2 and put the snake in it by the way. It's buried in the 5 or so inches of substrate
>>
>>4162159
mine is taking SUBSTANTIALLY longer just due to shitty weather and time constraints. I only get about two hours of daylight to work on it a day because of my work schedule, and I did the big brained move of getting two 4'x8' panels instead of seven 4'x2' panels to save a little money, and cutting them down cost an extra day.
>>
>>4162168
If you haven't gotten to the drylok part have you considered tinting the drylok? It says on the can you can tint it with half strength dye or something like that.
>>
>>4162173
I've got concrete pigment specifically for that, yes, but not for the actual sealing part. I have a 1" thick 4x8 XPS foam board I'll be cutting slices off of and sculpting into a slate cliff style background for the back and sides.
I want to keep the ceiling supports/hood interior white to throw more diffuse light around, though, and pretty much every part of the interior surface will either be covered with background or buried under substrate, I see no reason to tint the interior. besides, I'll also need a supply of white to lighten the tint as I build up midtones and highlights. I was thinking of even doing a wash with pulverized charcoal and water, but I dont know how well that would work. depends on how deep the crevices in the "rock" turn out to be I guess.
>>
File: Habushu.jpg (16 KB, 173x498)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>
File: PXL_20220507_030553371.jpg (1.94 MB, 4080x3072)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
So I was actually pretty confident in my heating settings and decided to move the ETB in tonight. She's out and having "fun" exploring. Took some tweaking but sitting at average 90 F basking on one side of the enclosure during the day, room temp at bottom right other side with a gradient in between. That top level fluctuates down to 85-86 as the daily misting occurs which is... 1 minute at 8am, 1 minute at 1pm, 4 minutes at 5pm for an afternoon shower for defecation, 1 minute at 1am. Then I have a fan on top that ventilates for 1 minute every 4 hours, this is keeping an average of 75% humidity throughout the enclosure.
>>
File: PXL_20220507_021856921.jpg (2.67 MB, 4080x3072)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
>>4162315
>>
File: PXL_20220506_211125426.jpg (2.26 MB, 4080x3072)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>>4162315
At night the basking area temp drops to 80, still gradient down to room temp of around 72-73.
>>
>>4162315
Lovely. Great enclosure, too.
>>
Seeing all this talk of DIY enclosures makes me want to go and build a gigantic stained wood viv for a kinghorni. Too bad it's not gonna happen
>>
>>4162345
I mean at that point you'd be not so much building an enclosure as partitioning a room in your house.
fuck it, dont let your memes be dreams.
>>
>>4162345
>Too bad it's not gonna happen
It can happen if you believe in the power of magic.
>>
>>4162379
>>4162413
>Spends loads of money and hours of work to build epic giant rainforest enclosure
>Gets killed by giant snake
Maybe I'll get my name in a headline
>>
Why is no one building an enclosure with PCV? Is it just too expensive?
>>
>>4162471
pvc is just annoying and expensive to get without buying in bulk. Harder to work with too.
Some anon was gonna try to special order a sheet from Lowes or Home Depot, but they don't stock it normally. Wonder if he was successful.
>>
File: PXL_20220507_064232905.jpg (1.93 MB, 4080x3072)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>4162315
couple more pics
>>
File: PXL_20220507_130949140.jpg (2.69 MB, 4080x3072)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB JPG
>>4162575
>>
File: PXL_20220507_131341551.jpg (1.64 MB, 2040x1536)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>4162577
>>
>>4162580
very nice enclosure
>>
File: pvc.png (187 KB, 1082x567)
187 KB
187 KB PNG
>>4162482
>>4162471
big PVC sheets are actually available at my local home depot, but are about 3 times the price of OSB, and weight about 10% heavier. Plywood is a little more expensive, slightly lighter than OSB, but wasnt taking as easily to assembly when I was testing materials (way more chipping/noticeable tear out/delamination, and even had trouble drilling straight pilot holes for some reason) so I went with OSB.
>>
>>4162471
I just plain hate plastic that offgasses.
Also I was a volunteer firefighter for a few years; burning PVC is basically one of the worst things to breathe, if the gas doesn't kill you during the fire it'll just give you lung cancer later.
>>
>>4162741
lucky bastard. My local big box hardware stores don't even stock it, and since it's not an online-orderable thing (ship to home disabled) the only way to get it is to have them order it for you at the store.
And it's still 1.5x as expensive as stain-grade 3/4" plywood.
And then there's the crafting itself. PVC is as easy to cut as ply, just need the right circular saw blade. But fastening gets tricky - 1/2" expanded foam PVC is less rigid than 1/2" ply and its interior is more brittle, so you've gotta be more careful anchoring fasteners into the edges end-on. On the other hand, you can use plastic cement for a strong bond and then reinforce by drilling holes for screws, so that's convenient.
3/4" PVC is much easier to work with, but fucking heavy and expensive.
Flat pack PVC cages, pre-drilled and CNC machined so they're easy to fit together, are excellent. I love my AP cage and would recommend them in a heartbeat if their lead times and communication weren't disgraceful.
>>
>>4162015
Amerigo Vespucci Ferrari, "Spucci" or "Spooch" for short.
>>
>>4162864
Same
>>
File: ccbrrc.jpg (201 KB, 1440x1440)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>4154763

do it. carpets are goated desu

just picked up this coastal a few weeks back, excited to see him grow a bit more and have more color come in.
>>
File: galapagos_iguana.jpg (880 KB, 1600x1067)
880 KB
880 KB JPG
>>4162864
based
>>
File: budget tree python.jpg (396 KB, 1500x1565)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
He really likes that place.
>>
>>4162958
He's got some really nice unbroken striping there
>>
>>4160394
>only 4 years ago
>>
>>4160394
gud froge
>>
It's been 2 days since the move and the snake still hasn't left the perimeter of gotten out from underneath the bedding. I want it to explore the stuff I put in the middle.
>>
>>4163436
two day s is still normal for "TOO NEW NOT SAFE DO NOTE LIKE" so that's understandable. Give it time, It'll warm up.
>>4163132
males like to raid bird nests in the wild, not a surprise he likes to climb. If you put your ear to him when he's up there and strain very hard you can hear Kevin McCurley seething because he's not in a dark shoebox.
>>
>>4163436
Give your snek time. Mine took about 14 days before she felt at home and went out when I was present.
>>
>>4159656
I bought a soil bag thing on Amazon for a repribreeze. I'll let you all know how it works.
>>
>>4163467
Do females not do that? I'd like to buy a female Ball Python but the enclosure I had in mind had a lot of vertical space.
>>
Thought this was a fun pic. Took this at like 1am in near total darkness, just using very high exposure night-shot to brighten it up. It was supposed to be fed last night but I skipped due to the move, but it still wanted to eat. This is it's natural "nobody is looking" hunting pose waiting for prey on the forest floor.
>>
>>4163759
>>4162577
>>4162580
These are great shots, What a charismatic little fellow and beautiful enclosure. Tremendous work!
>>
Hi /herp/, I was wondering what's a good size for a BCI enclosure. She's still young (1 yo) but I wanted to buy/make her an enclosure that would be large enough for her as an adult.
>>
>>4163811
6x2x2 minimum, if you can do more height that is ideal.
>>
>>4161680
As someone who has almost 10 years experience with chameleons I'm going to say don't do it if you want the reptile equivalent of a parrot. Get a beardie or ball python if you want a reptile for your lap/shoulder. Chameleons are very sensitive to stress and need a bit more involved care than other reptiles. If you want a great display animal then certainly get a chameleon, but you want your hydration to be on point. Also screen cages are a meme.
>>4163635
I've used tree pouches in the past, the soil tends to stay healthy inside them, but the bag tends to get sopping wet over time. I kept springtails and isopods as well as nightcrawlers in the soil as well with no issue though. I might just get one again since they're fairly cheap and allow for deeper root systems. I also wouldn't be misting as heavily for my fimbriatus like I was for my jackson's chameleon when I had it.
>>
I noticed there was some stuck shed on my hognose yesterday, so I put him in warm water. Thankfully, that seems to have gotten the trick done with the rest of the skin. Still, this indicates that I have a humidity problem. Average humidity is around 35%. He's had perfect sheds in the past, and I have not actively changed anything in the enclosure. All the same, I believe I need to put in a humid hide. I have some sphagnum moss around somewhere that I bought in the instance that I would have to do a humid hide. What's the easiest way to go about setting it up? I've seen different answers online, but I want to know what you guys have done for humidity hides/boxes for your snakes and lizards. Also, will I need to introduce the snake to the hide, or will he naturally realize there is a humid hideout waiting for him? It's often hit-or-miss whether he uses any of the other hides/objects I put in for him.
>>
I'm being faced with a moral decision right now. I have a toad who I found a a little baby last july, and now he's a big fatty and I love him. But for the last couple weeks he hasn't wanted to eat and I don't know why. last time this happened it was because it was getting cold so I moved him into a warmer room and he started eating again, but now he won't touch anything at all even when the worms are right in front of him.
I don't know if he's scared or what but if he doesn't eat soon, I might have to let him go in the park nearby to better his chances of survival.
I don't know what to do, he can probably make it out there, and I don't want him to starve but I wanted a pet toad so bad and I'll miss him forever
>>
>>4161912
So my humidity issue is getting worse, with it dropping to 35% now. I live in a very dry region so that's not helping either. I wanted to wait exactly a week before changing out his tank so he could get some acclamation, but at this rate it seems like I need to do it tomorrow (5 days). I'm still worried about him eating the substrate, though his food is on a platform and I very rarely see him on the ground. Would putting paper towels on top of the substrate still maintain the moisture? Or do I need to stop worry and just use the substrate.
>>
>>4163984
Cut an entrance hole in the side of a tupperware container. Moss or just moistened paper towels both work fine. You don't need to introduce the snake to the hide. They will check it out and use as needed. You can either place it in the middle of the tank or on the warm side. I haven't had good results putting them on the cool side for snakes or geckos.
>>
>>4164056
>Would putting paper towels on top of the substrate still maintain the moisture? Or do I need to stop worry and just use the substrate.
Yeah you can do this. Or put down a layer of leaf litter. Risk is minimal anyway. Up misting to twice daily. Alternately consider buying a humidifier for the room. I like the old style evaporation ones best. The ultrasonic humidifiers require distilled water otherwise they blow white mineral dust all over the room.
>>
>>4164038
Are you heating the tank at all?
>>
>>4164166
Okay I'll do the substrate and paper towel then see how that goes in terms of humidity. Any advice for getting him out of the cage so I can clean? I'd like to cause the least amount of stress as possible.
>>
File: omggggg.png (1.98 MB, 1356x1170)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
I love my snake so much.
>>
>>4164170
Not with any lights or anything, I just keep the temperature up in the room he's in now, which was fine for him before but it's only now he doesn't want to eat
>>
File: munch.jpg (470 KB, 1500x1000)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
oh shit i fuckin love mice
>>
>>4164190
If he's sitting still you can mess around with the substrate with him still in there. If you have to remove him, place one hand in front of his chin and slowly work your way underneath it. Other hand towards they back so you can catch him if he darts sideways. Put him in side container until finished tank maintenance.
>>
>>4164212
gud snake
>>
>>4164352
Oh! I should mention there is a second method for moving particularly skittish baby geckos. Take toilet paper roll or paper towel roll, put it in front of his face and gently coax him in to it. Sometimes this is easy and sometimes it isn't. Don't force it if it doesn't work. If he does go in, then just put the paper towel roll with him inside it in to your secondary container.
>>
>>4164038
If your toad rapidly starts dropping weight that's a sign of impaction. I lost my american toad to that not too long ago. I wouldn't recommend letting him go in case he picked up some kind of infection or something. Every now and again my toad wouldn't eat. They don't need to eat daily. I feed my frogs 3 times a week every other day, and my pacman frog once a week.
>>
Can anyone identify this gecko in central Florida? My dog jumped it while it was scrambling up the house wall so it dropped the tail. Wanted to to identify it because I've never seen a gecko here before, only Cuban brown anoles. I'm surprised they haven't eaten it
>>
>>4164384
Looks like a Mediterranean House Gecko.
>>
>>4164350
>Yep. That's me.
>You're probably wondering how I got here.
>>
>>4164190
Fair warning, in my experience leaf litter doesnt help with humidity - it keeps your substrate plenty moist, but the moisture doesnt evaporate into the air. Ive been struggling with humidity myself and am actually planning on thinning out my leaf litter and just misting more. During the winter the only thing that kept my enclosure above 30% humidity was a cool air humidifier fountaining down into the enclosure. Maybe an ultrasonic fogger in a water dish?
>>
>>4164212
Post more
>>
>>4163984
For a hognose your primary goal is to have substrate where she can burrow. I would just mist it down 2 times a day and provide a humid hide at the warm and cold side. When she is in shed I provide a second wet hide at her current location so she can switch to that one if the other dries out. At this point I make the other hide wet again.
This way I dont have to bother her at all.
>>
How bad would it be if I can't find my ball pythons load of poop?
Not sure if I just don't find it or if she holds it in longer then usual.
>>
File deleted.
Dumbass here.

My cat found a small snake under the rug in my house. It was about a foot long. I don't know anything about snakes, so I killed it. Can someone ID it so I know if I killed something harmless or not? I feel bad that I didn't get it closer to the neck. It writhes uncomfortably for about a minute as I put pressure on it. I'm in OK if that helps.
>>
>>4164783
congrats faggot you killed a harmless bullsnake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullsnake
kill your cat and then yourself
>>
>>4164783
That looks like a great plains ratsnake or a very young bullsnake. Completely harmless. Go google a copperhead and learn what it looks like (hint: its nothing like that). Unless you live near water that is the only venemous snake you have to worry about other than rattlesnakes, but those have rattles so there's literally zero chance of mis-identification.
>>
>>4164783
Just a harmless colubrid
>>
File: cottonmouth copperhead.jpg (71 KB, 1024x439)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>4164783
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snakes_of_Oklahoma
Your state has three types of venomous snakes:
>various species of rattlesnakes (which should be literally impossible to mis-ID)
>cottonmouths (which look nothing like that, see pic related; also they curl up and open their mouths when you approach them, and you shouldn't encounter them unless you're near water)
>copperheads (which also look nothing like that, see pic related)
Others already said it, but it's either a bullsnake or ratsnake, a harmless colubrid either way. I would suggest you at least familiarize yourself with the three types of venomous snakes you have to worry about so you don't at least make the same mistake of killing an animal which will pose no threat to you.
>>
File: BCI 3 wheeler.jpg (382 KB, 960x1280)
382 KB
382 KB JPG
>>4154700

I got my girl out for some fresh air, She holds onto me and I just putt around the trails by my house.
>>
>>4164908
very comfy. beautiful snake
>>
File: foomde.png (455 KB, 492x574)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
>>4164681
food
>>
>>4164166
Just make a humid hide. Get a tupperware container, make a hole big enough in the lid so the gecko can get in and out and put some damp moss in it. You can bury it down in the substrate with the lid exposed if you don't want to see a plastic container in your enclosure. The gecko will find it if it needs the humidity, it's not constantly 80% humidity in new caledonia.
>>
>>4164056

I highly doubt that he is going to try to eat his substrate, Cocofiber is a very good bet and if you want to keep it constantly damp then I recommend putting in some springtails.
>>
File: hothead.jpg (191 KB, 1080x1345)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>4154811
>>
>>4164965
If it makes a difference he's still young, I forgot to ask the shop but (estimating) he's a little over 4 inches plus tail. Sorry this is my first reptile so I'm being an anxious retard about it.
>>
>>4165011
4 inches including tail*
>>
File: PXL_20220509_211546094.jpg (697 KB, 4032x3024)
697 KB
697 KB JPG
this guy is handsome.
amazingly relaxed with handling, the trick is getting him out of the enclosure without getting a feeding bite.
>>
>>4165126
What snake is that? Absolutely gorgeous.
>>
I think I was sold 3 female rats instead of 2 and a male. Now I wait for the next show.
>>
File: PXL_20220509_212602498.jpg (1.4 MB, 3395x2921)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>4165149
Desert kingsnake. Closely related to MBKs and California kingsnakes, and intergrade with both in Arizona. Mine's got more of the Texas look, with the yellows and the pronounced speckling. Not sure of his origin though, got him as an adult.
he's napping in this pic.
>>
>>4165165
Does the male you were sold have giant balls? if not he's probably not a male
>>
>>4165126
try tabbing him with a snake hook every time before you take him out for handling. At some point he will learn that this means: "no food, I am being handled"
>>
>>4165365
I do this. He lunges at the hook and stays in food mode. Generally I pick him up by tapping him with one hand and then grabbing him in the middle with the other while he checks out the first hand. Pick him up quickly enough and he goes out of food mode.
I'm experienced enough to know what to do. He's just a bit dumb and gets excited when there's a remote possibility of food. The hook might eventually condition him, but I'm not holding my breath.
>>
>>4164056
Update: I went ahead and put in the coconut stuff and a layer of paper towel on top. Added a few new decorations like a coconut hide as well. So far it's a drastic improvement in humidity, and the little guy didn't drop his tale so I suppose it wasn't too traumatic.
>>
>>4165376
Also I got him to lick food off my finger!
>>
File: S-e_d_yzML.webm (1004 KB, 1280x720)
1004 KB
1004 KB WEBM
>>
>>4165376
>>4165472
Awesome! They normally won't drop their tails unless grabbed in a way that restricts their movement. I've never had a crestie drop tail from hand walking. I have heard of particularly nervous ones dropping them from something dumb like the vacuum running near their tank but I think that's very rare.
>>4165477
Ha!
>>
>>4165477
What snake is that?
>>
>>4165505
Good to know, I'm already trying to be extremely careful with him haha. I don't mind the tailless look though, it has it's own charm. I'd just feel bad for startling him.
>>
Do my babby firebellied newts need that UVB goodgood?
Some people say yes, some people say no, some people say better safe than sorry.

UVB SMD LED's are coming into fashion at a reasonable price point and I typically like to fabricobble shit myself, thought they are absolutely not pretty.
>>
>>4165477
Acute!
>>
>>4165472

Very good sign that he is settling in. Reptiles will typically refuse to eat if they are stressed.
>>
>>4165477
I love colubrids
>>
>>4165218
I'm holding out hope that it's one of those males with small balls and apparently those do exist but I'm a patient man and I'll be sure to find such a rat next time around if this doesn't work out.
>>
>the more exploratory of my girls needs to tongueflick my nose whenever she comes out, i guess because she sees my face pretty often and wants to check up on it
The booper has becomes the boopee.
>>
File: looks at you.jpg (50 KB, 1000x750)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
My leopard gecko tank sucks. I was thinking of trying to with something more bioactive, any advice anyone? Thoughts on plants and substrate? Anything I should add?
>>
Im meeting with builders tomorrow to draw out the plans for a custom snake-room only garage for future breeding operations. Any last minute ideas on what it would need?
>>
File: 1645588145080.png (6 KB, 400x400)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
What's the name of that one snake that looks like a fucking retard? Like a complete down syndrome dumbass. It had like upturned eyes like pic rel, instead of them being on the sides of its head.
>>
>>4166104
Arabian sand boa
>>
File: 1635606470298.png (628 KB, 660x660)
628 KB
628 KB PNG
>>4166105
Nice, thanks anon
>>
>>4166092
>Any last minute ideas on what it would need?
A designated HVAC system.
>>
>>4166104
>>4166105
>>4166107
I wanna laugh, but smells of samefag
>>
File: no.png (58 KB, 1244x447)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>4166149
>>
bros I love my lizard so much
>>
>>4166107
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sPiwJvDPao
>>
>>4166040
little more of an arid species, so succulents and epiphytic plants? maybe some kind of cave build with live moss for a humid hide?
>>
>>4166040
Dirt, clay, sand mix is good. Get some leaf litter or bark or some other kind of plant duff mixed in too. Plant a couple clumps of some kind of grass, a couple of succulents, give him some sticks and things. Set your rock hard scape (or faux rock, whatever) to have at least one hiding space below the level of his substrate on the cool side of the tank and give him a few nice crags at different places in his temperature gradient. Put the heat lamp and the UV-B on the same side and an LED grow light on the cool side. Put some extra plant duff in the below grade cool side hide. Get a dry climate burrowing millipede or two for the cleanup crew and let the cleanup crew get established over a couple of weeks before you introduce the lizard.
>>
>>4165550
Well you should have a planted tank anyway right?
>>
>>4166040
I saw a video where they put a thornless cactus in the cage but I grow those and they do still have a few thorns. So don't do that.
>>
File: 20220510_193151.jpg (1.86 MB, 4032x3024)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
>>4154700
This is the best I can do for a picture of the snake in its diy enclosure until it gets over itself
>>
>>4166227
based
>>
File: 1557690099884.jpg (22 KB, 218x265)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
My snake took the rat and tried to pull it into the hide. But she had it sideways so it did not fit and got stuck there. Then she tried to push out but failed so I had to help her.
>>
Anyone here knows how big of a roach colony do you have to have to feed an ackie monitor?
>>
>>4167193
Go bigger than you think. If you pinch pennies starting a colony it'll take forever till you're able to start feeding. Get as big as you can without getting adults because they may be old.
>>
Any body here experienced with keeping milk snakes? I hear that milk snakes are good for first time owners since they eat well and are generally easy to care for. But I also hear that they can be very nervous and energetic which is not good since I actually want to handle the snake.

Can anyone let me know whether this was an issue with your snake or not?

I'd also like to know if certain subspecies are better in this regard than others. Pic related is a pueblan which looks just about what I want out of my milk snake pattern wise.
>>
>>4166433
Shouldn't take too long. Couple weeks or so.
>>4167022
kek
>>
>>4167536
You may want to play it a little safer and go for a corn snake. They really are great.
>>
>>4167536
get an adult that someone else has already handled a lot
>>
>>4167536
most varieties of kingsnake are fine first pet snakes. They tend to be more defensive than corns as babies but very chill as adults. Milk snakes fall into that category.
>>4167654
this is also true, corns deserve their reputation.
>>
File: azurea.jpg (104 KB, 651x826)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>Is called Morelia azurea
>Often has blue colouration, usually at least has blue dorsal markings
>Still gets called a green tree python
Why hasn't anybody made up a new common name for these dudes since the viridis/azurea split happened?
>>
>>4167690
>>4167701
Yea I don't mind putting in the work of handling it regularly I just need to know that it will eventually calm down and become used to me. I don't want to end up with an adult snake that still reacts to me like I'm some kind of predator.

I also wanted to know what kind of milk snake would be best.
>>
File: 1641443161544.jpg (199 KB, 768x1024)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
>>4167842
>make up a common name yourself
>create multiple accounts for various normalfag herp communities
>samefag some conversations where you keep mentioning the name
>normalfags will become aware of the species and think that this is the common name everyone uses
>they too will use it in the future and it eventually becomes the recognized name
>>
>>4167939
>I just need to know that it will eventually calm down and become used to me.
Some indidivual snakes are more schizy than others which is just down to individual temperment, but really ANY snake (or really animal) can eventually get it into their head that you arent trying to kill and eat them, and that good stuff happens when you're around. Colubrids in general tend to be a little more exploratory and active than stuff like ball pythons, though, so dont expect much in the way of hanging out with your snake watching TV or whatever.
>>
>>4167945
I want caecilians to become "pingas salamaders."
>>
Anyone in the US know where I can get a colony of feeder snails? I want to vary my giant leaftail gecko's diet a bit more besides gutloaded dubias and crickets especially since I plan to breed him in the future.
>>
>>4167939
Pueblan is a great choice. Smaller and a bit less tropical than Honduran. But both are fine, Honduran milksnakes don't get any bigger than corns. Personality is gonna be more varied by the individual than between the two species.
Black milk snakes are also really neat. Start out stripey and go jet black as they age, end up looking like bigger MBKs.
>>
>>4165550
do you feed them a varied diet of live foods? if so you're fine. especially once they're older and can accept earth worms which is the most nutritious thing a salamander can eat.
>>
>>4168155
Owners of caiman lizards get frozen snails from asian market stores. If you have any near you, check if they have frozen snails in stock.
>>
>>4168066
>>4168159
Thanks anons. I'll take what you've said into consideration.
>>
All of these posts and non of you have posted the cutest reptiles
>>
>>4168570
>>
File: baby-abronia-for-sale.jpg (77 KB, 1000x1000)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Can someone recommend a lizard that:
•Is low maintenance
•Can live in a 40 breeder for ever

And optionally
•Allows for beautifully scaped bioactive enclosures
>>
>>4168575
fire skink or crocodile skink
>>
>>4168570
>>4168573
I want a herd of redfoot tortoises walking around my yard so bad bros
>t. ausfag
>>
>>4168570
I love tortoises and will have some day but I'm not living in a suitable place to give it the care I would like yet. Maybe soon.
>>
File: greattoad.jpg (915 KB, 2040x1536)
915 KB
915 KB JPG
O' great toad of the drain spout, what is your wisdom?
>>
>>4168679
men may hook up with anyone, but women will hook up with anything
>verification not required
>>
Operation: OSB 4x2 enclosure is proceeding slowly but surely. I apparently cannot into maths and there are veins on my dick that are straighter than the fucking 2x2s I'm using, so construction has been a little challenging.
>front and rear face are butting against the sides, so floor is shorter than the other boards by 14/16ths of an inch
>measure multiple times, 23 and 3/8ths inches
>dont take the saw kerf into account, end up shorter by like an eighth of an inch
>dry fit
>still proud of the framing by a quarter of an inch, at least where the frame is straight
>front beam is both bowing up and out, so I have to muscle the wood into place while my wife drives screws into the frame in the right spots along the y axis
>literally sit on the frame to get it right along the X axis
Fortunately a little jigsaw fuckery is all I need to fix the extra floor length, then glue and screw the face, final support along the top, do the exact same thing with the boards for the light hood, and I can start sealing.
>>
bros I figured out a snake hack. Feed them chicken necks. Chicken necks are literally $1 a pound. Big snakes, feed them turkey necks.
>>
>>4168782
>there are veins on my dick that are straighter than the fucking 2x2s I'm using
Oh man. That reminds me of a recent trip to Home Depot to collect some lumber for a non-herp related project. Holy shit guys 2x4s aren't supposed to be parabola. If I planed that out I'd be left with a 2x2.
>>
>>4168863
Surely they don't have the nutrients required over a long time?
Though I do know of a bodybuilder friend who has a corn snake from baby, and when very small it refused to eat mice so out of desperation he eventually offered it turkey breast filet he was eating (he offered it raw ofc), which it took for some reason and which is was then fed on for some time until it stopped being retarded and ate f/t mice.
>>
>>4168863
whole prey is probably better quality nutrition
it's not expensive by any means (i spend more on heating)
>>
>>4168863
My corn snake guy told me some chicken heart if it didn't want to take mice but it didn't come to that. I heard from a guy who kept snakes in the 80's that you could dip a mouse in chicken broth to entice it to take a mouse.
>>
>>4168863
Thats a lot of big bones for not much in the way of protein/fat/nutrients. Maybe as a calcium boosting treat?
>>
>>4168868
Apparently Lowes has better lumber but Ive got credit with home deeps to take advantage of there. I imagine its probably slightly less picked over but not by much.
>>
>>4169197
this
Same with drumsticks for snakes big enough for them.
Not complete nutrition, but not unhealthy either. Fine as a one-off or supplement. Perfect as part of a varied diet for black hole colubrids like Drymarchon and Hydrodynastes.
>>
>>4168585
fire skink
>>
>>4168782
>wonky 2X2s
A few years ago my brother and I tried steaming some dowels and bending them.
It kinda worded even though we could barely make enough steam with two irons.
>>
>>4169308
fortunately the bends are only really noticable over the full length of the 8 foot pieces, what little trouble I had (namely the longer support beams and ensuring at least a 5/8ths inch gap on the top for the screen) were easily enough addressed by just muscling it into place and dropping a screw in the length at the proper distance.
face is on and glue is drying, decided against the middle support - the front and rear cross beams are sturdy enough as it is now, and I'll be doing the entire top as one screen so it wouldn't actually be supporting anything there. Still have to build the hood but that's orders of magnitude easier given the reduced size and weight so I foresee little in the way of trouble there. I'll probably end up doing that as I wait between coats as I seal the enclosure.
>>
got to watch my crestie eat its own skin this evening, always entertaining
>>
File: 1625792697905.png (957 KB, 640x872)
957 KB
957 KB PNG
I love my worm.
>>
>>4170007
Mine are pretty secretive about it so I don't see the process often. They all have a routine though. One of the girls does front left foot first then right foot and so on. Always that order.
>>
File: snake gat.jpg (347 KB, 960x1280)
347 KB
347 KB JPG
Is it normal for Boas to drool a little bit when they are being handled?
>>
>>4170568
If she didn't just drink water, than it might be a RI. Boas aren't supposed to drool.
>>
>>4170605

I'll keep an eye on her, She was getting pretty active and moving around a lot more than normal so I think she just got herself worked up.
>>
>>4170568
none of mine every drool, so seems weird
>>
>snake pees into the corner hide
>I clean it
>snake noticed the fresh hide and goes in to take a shit no 10 minutes after
The brand name is trixie, not dixi
>>
>>4170568
No
>>
>>4170626
Even getting worked up, they should never drool unless they have water in their mouths or an RI. They don't drool from exertion.
>>
File: PXL_20220515_022436642.jpg (2.67 MB, 3072x4080)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB JPG
I let the snake hunt today. I waited until nearly 11pm to feed after the tank lights had been off for a few hours. It was out on the top perch in hunting mode, so I brought the tank lights up very dim in moonlight mode (looks WAY brighter in the pic than it was). Bounced the mouse around and rubbed the snake's face a bit and immediate grab. No fuss no muss. Snake didn't strike out in the wrong direction or at me, just happily took the mouse and had swallowed it within 5 minutes.
>>
File: bloatlord.png (444 KB, 635x419)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
do you guys have any salamanders? i just found out how cool they are.
>>
>>4171266
Nope but they're pretty high on my list of things I'd like to try at some point. They're cute.
>>
>>4171266
one anon has newts, about as close as it gets
>>
I think Cypress Mulch is the best bedding for ball pythons!
>>
>>4171266
I have fire belllied newts but I'd love to have a chonky 'mander, such a cute face
where I live there are black and yellow salamanders (Salamandra salamandra) in the wild, great fellas
>>
>>4160500
I got one. Super responsive eater, and very curious. Constantly wants to come out in the evening to explore, and after eating you don't see it for a day of three/four. Bit me a few times due to missing it prey, or because I smelled like other reptile. But it is usually just a nibble and doesn't draw blood. Recommended if you want an active snake, mine has adhd and can't sit still.
>>
>>4165992
I think they associate my face with food, and also need to lick my nose. My ball python always explores a bit, then licks my nose, explores, etc. Maybe I should not shove my face in the terrarium when I bring the rats.
>>
>>4167536
You can also get a cali king. Patterns are similar, and they are very chill and easy to tame.
>>
>>4170766
>The brand name is trixie, not dixi
kek, too real
>>
>>4171254
Nice!
>>
>>4171227
>>4170728

Quick update, She ate a large F/T rat, A modest meal for her and today I don't see any signs of drool or loud breathing or bubbles around her mouth. Looks like she is getting ready to go into shed soon too.
>>
>>4171628
Sounds good dude
I used to have a very old BCC that was kept very badly for many years, she had problems with muscle development and therefore problems keeping her lung volume open for breathing as the forward part of her body often kinda fell to the side and the lung volume was reduced due to laying on the side kinda and her not having the muscles to keep her body tube-shaped; she drooled sometimes, in connection to when her breathing problems were worse.
Your comment on bubbles/breathing made me think of that, idk.
I'm sure your snake is just fine, don't worry about it.
>>
>>4171628
treat it as an isolated incident (which it is) until it happens again and go from there, I guess. For all we know she was catching the smell of rodents on the wind and was anticipating a meal.
>>
>>4171912
They don't drool in anticipation of meals, literally the only times they drool is when they're ill or just drank water. Have you checked her mouth for any signs of illness at all? Look for discolored gums, mouth, excess mucus, etc. Gotta actually open it to tell.
>>
My corn snake that has been missing for the last two and a half months turned up today (seems a little bit skinnier but otherwise looks fine), I found it wedged behind its vivarium, I'd checked there several times so he's probably been moving around a bit and I just got lucky to find him today.
Thank you for reading my blog.
>>
>>4172031
That's great news! Glad you found him. It's typical for them to set up shop somewhere near their tank but they are remarkably sneaky to the point that it can seem like they've gone off outside somewhere.
>>
I'm finally getting my first Tegu this week and I'm hype as fuck.

Absolutely wonderful lil monster. Should I give her an Aztec, Babylonian, or Egyptian name?
>>
>>4172206
>Babylonian
Because its less normie
>>
I know its a long shot, but can anyone find or know anything about the wild diet of baby anacondas? Moose is doing well, but every time he defecates it is an EXPLOSION of rat fur. The water filters are needing to be changed constantly because they get so clogged up with undigested fur. Its clearly not normal and a total pain. I was going to try to feed him tilapia but if I can replicate his natural diet that would be best.
>>
NEW NEW NEW NEW

>>4172312

>>4172312

>>4172312

>>4172312

>>4172300
I put your question in new thread. I'm also curious about the answer if anyone knows.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.