[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Previous: >>4027739

Blue Eyes Edition

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Saltwater shit:
>brs 5 minute guides
>https://youtu.be/AlUv9SRB_g8?list=PLBaMLrfToJyxJ1PuJZwhkxvvdFP14eV_t
>https://reefbuilders.com/reef-tank-setup/
>>
question for the pro aquarists: if i stock a dirted "walstad method" tank with a CPO dwarf crayfish, will it burrow through my 2" sand cap and expose the mud layer to the water column, destroying the tank?
>>
good morning sirs
>>
but where is the discord link?
>>
>>4034895
Very likely. I have found though that the CPO's like to hide in piles of loose wood, rock, or botanicals so having pending of intricate piles of that stuff around may deter them from tunneling.

Unrelated note I'm starting a 2.5 gallon sunlit aquarium. and was wondering what kind of shrimp I should do. I've done caridina in the past but not in this small of a tank and the reefer in me is worried about parameter changes. Shrimp still arent my strong suit though so I do not have all the morphs memorized. Are there any interesting morphs of neocaridina that you guys would recommend? I like the green jades but I worry about them blending in with the plants. But also if I don't find anything I'm prepared to use RODI and go gung ho for the caridina.
>>
>>4034885
i fucking love aquariums so much it's unreal
>>
File: the big L.jpg (47 KB, 600x300)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>4034961
hell yes brother, the bigger the better.
>>
File: hydra.png (184 KB, 249x689)
184 KB
184 KB PNG
>aquarium wiki considers hydra as a pet
Does anyone intentionally keep them?
>>
>>4034962
I always thought these weird shaped aquariums are cool, but then I think to myself, "But if it was just a boring cuboid, it'd take the same footprint and have more water volume and be cheaper to make."
>>
File: hillstream kino.webm (2.01 MB, 1280x720)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB WEBM
>>
>>4034985
most old school hobbyists won't let you in on this, but it's the wood paneling that makes or breaks an aquarium. reference the pic as needed.
>>
>>4034972
not that i know of but they're decent live food for gouramis so i'm sure some people culture them. Culturing is pretty simple for something that makes more whenever you split it.
>>
>>4034895
You are doing sand in a wallstad method...

Two problems; -sand digs and moves easier
- you do wallstad method with gravel, not sand. It will go anaerobic and rot to shit in no time.
>>
>>4034990
that is sweet but I don't see any hillstreams. I had a river manifold tank with hillstreams and blue neon stiphodon gobys. One of my favorites that I would like to do again.
>>
rethinking my plans for an aquarium I'm gonna put in my office this summer to replace my 20, if you could choose between a school of 6 peppered cories, 8 panda cories, 1 bristlenose pleco or 3-4 hillstream loach, what would you do? Note that this will be a low flow unheated tank. I'm gonna try an undergravel filter.
>>
File: alabamaman.jpg (7 KB, 200x265)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>4034990
If I was gonna do a hillstream tank It'd be a rainbow shiner alabama biotope.
>>
>>4035138
I would do a school of 15 pygmy cories. low flow rules out hillstreams, low temp rules out bristlenose, and the peppered cories get too big. That leaves you with the panda cories, but since you are doing gravel instead of sand (which most cories need) you will not be able to do those. Pygmys would be a good choice since they are one of the few that can stand gravel
>>
>>4035173
do bristlenose really need high temp? I've heard of people keeping them as low as 16c without problems. I know they're shit machines though and I know my paradise fish will probably hate them too. Really my goal is to give him a better tank so he stops being a drama queen faggot who spends all day hiding.
>>
>>4035179
Plecos are one of my things and while bristlnose can be adaptive because they are bred so much, they arent suited for low temps long term IMO, Only certain speiceis of plecos from farther south can (and commons). Best to keep bristles at 80 plus from my experience. And yes they are poop machines. I started doing bare bottom in all my breeding tanks because of those losers
>>
>>4035192
pygmies are cool too though so i think it will work out, and i think them being smaller gives them a better chance of my paradise fish not caring. he seems to absolutely hate anything that's
1. fast/zippy
2. big
3. colorful
ive tried a few combos and white clouds are what he tolerates best but i find white clouds boring.
>>
>>4035113
I haven't built the tank yet, still in the research phase. I heard that 1" of soil won't go anaerobic under 2" of sand, and that gravel lets in too much water and quickly depletes the soil. Supposedly the 1" soil + 2" coarse grained sand cap lets mulm infiltrate back into the soil while nutrients slowly leech back into the water column. At least that's what this old man says, and he looks wise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyAnFz5XeuU&list=PL2gS1uMqjScvMZo6GAh0YcieXUNTk38FQ&index=10
>>
>frogbit and red root floaters arrived
taking bets on what new scourge these things introduce to my tanks
>>
>>4034962
how do you do water change on that
>>
>>4035238
a tank like that is typically plumbed for awc or has a separate sump/refugarium that can be drained and changed into.
>>
>>4034956
go with neocaridina if you're setting up a 2.5. fire reds are always nice along with orange neos. there's also rilis which have a clear midsection.

>>4035231
gammarus
>>
>>4035267
man i hope i get some scuds. i want to be a scud chud.
>>
File: 223820.jpg (2.68 MB, 1960x4032)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
I have a 40 gallon tank with 5 zebra danios and 5 embers. They've been getting along for a while and I'm now considering adding more fish to the aquarium, but if I follow the recommended amount of gallons per fish, I'm already way over the limit.

I just want to add a couple goldfish to it. Is this a bad idea? I don't want to stress them out or overpopulate the tank.

Pic related, my tank
>>
>>4035281
>5 danios and 5 embers in a 40
>already way over the limit
lmao, though desu those column tanks are retarded and shitty. I would avoid goldfish in them even when stunted they get too long to move around well in those. I'd do livebearers in a tank like that since they'll fuck around at every level. That's not a good tank for danios or tetras and imo if you're doing schooling fish the best thing to do is pick one species and go all in on it, but you already got them fish so if you want more add endlers.

I would put 40-50 endlers in that tank with no hesitation. start with a small number and let them breed up. could also do platys if you want a fish with kind of a thicker body.
>>
>>4035163
>I said shut up, bitch!
>>
>>4035299
Thanks. I actually don't very much like this type of tank either, it's only this way because of convenience and limited table space. I suppose if I was being smart, I'd get a 40-50 gallon and smack it right near my snake tank for shits and giggles.

Definitely going to take your advice with the livebearing fish. Idk what I'm going to do with these guys now. Might just fill it with southern platys or endlers.
>>
>>4035163
based alabamaman poster
>>
>>4034990
How do I cope with the fact that I'll never get my hands on rocks like this?
>>
>>4035455
Do you have any landscaping supply places near you? I would think it'd be possible to find a place that sells decent stones in smaller volume.
>>
>>4035455
where do you live that you can't find even mediocre rocks like those? on a fucking zeppelin?
>>
starting to think that one of my female guppy may be a lesbian
>>
>>4035455
protip: steal smooth river rocks like those from the decorative flower beds outside a Denny's
>>
>>4035214
i'm about to go through with this shit after a day of research. can someone tell me real fast if this is a recipe for disaster?
>>
>>4035455
Get a rock tumbler
>>
>>4035464
I live in a major US city and the two biggest stores in the are, only one sells "live rock" the other one has jack shit.
>>
>>4035486
drive/walk in one direction until you reach an undeveloped district. pick up the rocks from the ground and bring them home. you're going to have to venture outside your suburban wasteland for this one.
>>
>>4035455
You can't take some rocks from a random river?
>>
>>4035455
#citypeopleproblems
>>
>Swish around a bunch of shit in the tank; branches, leaves and filter positioning
>Can't tell if fish is stressed out over where he parked his car or excited to see a new neighbourhood
>>
File: 0us0ve6mtbs61.jpg (120 KB, 640x745)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>4035486
Sounds like it's time for you to take a trip. You probably have a decent sized park in your area. I'd even search and see if they have a pond/lake or artificial stream. Could probably find a few decent rocks that way.
>>
>>4035490
This. You might even enjoy the adventure whether or not it was fruitful.
I drove 50km out of town to find my sticks and *cough* legally obtained beach sand. Gas is $2.80 a litre where I live so it wasn't exactly free, but that's not quite the point.
>>
>>4035538
I live pretty much on the ocean, but read that sand/rocks from the beach are shit for your tank
>>
>>4035543
Any specific reason why or does it come down to the composition of rock? Everything around my country is almost guaranteed to be sandstone/mudstone/other carbonate rocks so I could see how that would be an issue for some.
>>
>>4035543
all of that shit is bullshit that fancy rock and stick sellers put out there to trick you into spending $400 on hardscape. Carbonate rocks are not bad for fish, none of them can take your water chemistry way out of whack. pesticides and most 'toxins' have very short half lives and aren't going to be a worry on rocks and sticks at the beach.
>>
>>4035214
There's a lot of pseuds in this hobby, the wallstad book says only gravel will do. mulm generally stays on top of sand, if it would go in you get really naaasty looking sand (imagine a mix of you sweet white-yellow sand and your fish shit, nice.). I never had my wallstad method not turn to shit after nine months though, so who knows. It's just my two cents, its fun to try things out just be ready to redo if neccesary and dont be discouraged if it goes awry.
>>
File: 20220112_080334_HDR.jpg (3.7 MB, 4032x3024)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
>>4035472
I would go with gravel over sand. You can always add more gravel if you're worried about the soil leeching out. Ive got about 2.5 or 3 inches of gravel on top of less than an inch of soil and rolled up red clay balls. The only thing I would recommend is add as large a plant load you can if you're doing dirt. There was a couple of weeks where my new plants were in flux and not growing, so the algae was starting to get bad. Luckily the plants kicked in and starved out the algae pretty fast. Also i heard it helps to mineralize the dirt. The biggest help is that it removes alot of the floating debris before hand, so when you uproot plants, what little gets stirred up then will quickly settle back down.
>>
File: Snapchat-125912480.jpg (1.9 MB, 1560x3198)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
>>4035724
This is the mentioned tank over a year old now
>>
File: Tank 1.jpg (1.44 MB, 4032x3024)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
I wasa given a beta tank about a year ago that I decided to grow plants in. After awhile alge grew and I got 4 Cherry Shrimp.

I decided I was going to aquascape my own 20 long. Rate my tank! But be nice, I'm new here. :)
(1/2)
>>
File: Tank 2.jpg (1.49 MB, 4032x3024)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>4035797
(2/2)

After I filled it I put some java, and wisteria in the back. I added water spangles from my beta to help get this one started.
>>
>>4035657
>>4035724
So a more judicious choice would be a 1" layer of soil mixed with aquarium balls, capped with 2" of sand (coarse, likely pool filer sand), capped with, 1/2" of gravel, with more to be added as needed. Wait, should I put the clay balls under or over the soil or mix them in?
>>
>>4035267
Thanks for the suggestions on shrimp. I was doing my own research and am probably gonan end up doing blacks or some high grade reds like bloody Mary’s
>>
>>4035810
looks good. c02?
>>
File: 20211229_090957~2.jpg (907 KB, 2407x2187)
907 KB
907 KB JPG
>>4035826
If I were you, then I would pick either sand or gravel. With all those layers, they are going to get mixed over time. To me it makes more sense just capping the dirt with only a 2inch layer of gravel. Because when they get mixed up, due to granular convection, smaller particles like sand migrate down and large ones like gravel up. So the gravel will end up on top anyways. I think the layer of sand will choke out the "flow" between the dirt and water. This flow is already filtered already by the layer of gravel, which wont compact and leave space for dirt to go back down and water to help keep the soil aerated. The sand will greatly inhibit that, which is why delicate rooted plants can struggle in a sandy substrate.

If youre going to do both then I guess just put which one you want to be visible on top. Also, with the clay balls, its nothing fancy, just red clay from hobby lobby rolled into 1in balls. I put the dirt down first, then stuck them in the dirt in a grid like patter across the bottom of the tank. You could put the clay balls first but I imagine they would move after you pour the dirt on top and level it out. The clay is supposed to help retain iron, which can really make red plants pop, especially the heavy root feeders.
>>
>>4034895
>>4034956
>>4035113
Same idea no walstad though have these trumpet snails and am wondering if a 2 in soil 2in sand cap would be with them in it
>>
File: 1636432382275.jpg (9 KB, 350x185)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>4035896
Brilliant, thanks for the advice. My inclination is now 1" organic potting soil/compost dirt/forest topsoil capped by 2" of pool filter sand with a thin <1/4" layer of gravel to hold things down. I still may forgo the sand if further research discourages it. I plan to grow rooted elodea from a local marsh in the 55 gal, with mutt guppies, wild caught mosquito fish, snails, ghost shrimp and whatever zooplankton/inverts I can seed the tank with (daphnia, fairy shrimp, triops etc.). I'll also try growing out american toad/grey treefrog tadpoles in the spring. No crayfish. I'll run two small sponge filters and blast the tank with my LED shop light. I'll update /aq/ when it's up and running.
>>
>>4035911
that thing looks gnarly what is that? a salamander?
>>
>>4035920
new innit? fire bellied newt? i seldom check these things but i am so good with the animal names.
>>
File: 1641762034301.webm (2.83 MB, 1280x720)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
>>4035465
>>4035468
>>4035469

Three nice posts in a row, you all had everything except an anime/animal pic and digits, good job fellas.

Oh last one had 69, noice.
>>
>>4035797
>be nice, I'm a newfag
Wrong neighbourhood dickhead.
>>
>>4035848
>bloody marys
They require the culling of subpar subadults to keep the deep red coloration with subsequent generations. If you don't cull, they end up becoming more clear bodied with each generation. Fire reds mostly breed true so they're easier to keep red.
>>
>>4035870
That's a little over my skillset.

>>4035944
Thanks Fren!
>>
just buttoning up my first walstad nano tank. Will update with pics in a bit
>>
>>4035960
Oh cool beans thank you. I don't mind culling a little bit because I have a real food aggressive cave goby in my saltwater that eats krill so I'm sure ugly shrimp will go down no problem.
>>
My friends betta has become lethargic or something. It keeps laying in places and not moving. It’s alive but doesn’t react much to food. Anyone know what’s wrong and how to save him? She rescued it from a cup a couple days ago
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 266x190)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Hey i have an interesting project in mind. I got myself some wild guppies, which are not really good looking, but are tolerant to a decent amount of cold and are way hardier than the inbred ones.
I was thinking that i could buy some nice guppies and breed them with the wild ones, so i can get hardier but colorful guppies that i can keep outdoors all year round and shit...

Have you tried this? any suggestions?

I've got 20 of the wild ones and they look pretty much like picrel, but with less color.
>>
>>4036080
First off, stop "rescuing" bettas in cups. You're just giving money to a company that will see the practice as profitable and buy even more bettas in cups. Second, you provided almost no info. What kind of tank and filtration does your friend have? How long has it been running? What's in the tank (and for how long)? How was the betta before introducing it to the new tank? How was it introduced? What are you trying to feed it and how much?
>>
>>4036100
Not wild guppies, but im keeping guppies outside year round.
>>
>>4036100
how does one procure wild guppies?
>>
Just got some emerald eye rasboras for my 15 gallon, guy at the fish store said they’ve been looking for a home for a while. Pretty pricey.

Anybody ever keep them? Their green/blue eye shine is stunning.
>>
>>4035984
looks really good. What kind of substrate and what ferts are you dosing?
>>
Can someone give me a QRD on first time fish breeding? I have done all the prerequisites for my harlequin rasboras. I have 3 males and 3 females, am feeding them a diet of frozen brine shrimp and blood worms 3 times a day (how the hell can they eat this much without exploding?) in a 20 gallon tank. Do I just keep fattening them up?
>>
>>4036140
semi-related, just found out these exist:

https://www.amazon.com/Senzeal-Aquarium-Feeder-Plastic-Feeding/

I was feeding them via syringe in bursts, like babies kek
>>
>>4034885
Hey /aq/ anybody know where I can find a couple of 3/4" low profile strainers? I haven't been able to find any no matter where I look. I'm trying to cap off some bulkheads for drainage for my blue land crab tank's water area.
>>
>>4036121
Hahaha get fucked. Those are 40 cents on my wholesale List. I hope you enjoy getting ripped off buy that fish store
>>
>>4036127
Thanks. I’m primarily using Eco-Complete but there is some Fluval Stratum left over from my small setup.
>>
>>4036127
Oh and for fertilizer, I set it up with Easy Root Tabs and I’m using Easy Green.
>>
I've had a 120l / 26 gallon tank for 4 years and I want to start over. Any advice on how to do a rescape?
I have amano shrimps and rasboras - I have a hospitl tank I can keep them in while I get ready but any tips on how best to empty the tank / replace gravel would be appreciated.
>>
File: IMG_5544.jpg (3.71 MB, 4032x2764)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB JPG
>>4035996
>>
>>4035896
based fellow flagfish appreciator.
>>
>>4036191
i love your tank bro
i love all aquariums that people put work into
i fucking love fish and other aquatic life such as snails
>>
>>4036176
Fuck lmao that stings a little bit
>>
>>4036190
siphon down to the gravel then scoop the gravel out and throw it in a 5 gallon bucket. Never throw old gravel away, put it out in the garage or something. If you have plants you can float them in the hospital tank for awhile while you replace the substrate. You can throw hardscape in the same bucket. IMO make sure you have everything you need for your rescape on hand before you tear down, you might want to add some stuff while it re-cycles but you should at the very least have your new substrate (and filter, if you're switching filters) good to go. Then you can plant and add hardscape as you get stuff.

Also make sure you keep filter media wet. I use costco greek yogurt containers, they're the perfect size for medium sized sponge filter to sit in with some tank water while I do stuff in the tank where i want it out of the way. Gallon bags also work well. Unless you're trying you won't 100% wipe out all of your bacteria especially if you re-inoculate with well cycled filter media so your re-cycle should be a week or less.
>>
>>4036196
You ever seen a mini flagfish? I got all of mine at the same time but this guy has always been a runt.
>>
>>4036234
Yes their genetics are weird. Two of my females remain stunty runts, one of them died but another one is alive and she's probably around a year old at this point. One of my males also has weird finnage, his tail goes straight back and doesn't fan out at all. The one with the straight back tail also has kind of faint black tiger striping in addition to his black spot. I think the genes are there for some really good color/pattern morphs, they're not livebearers so it's not 0 investment breeding but they aren't hard to breed at all, I had them spawning in a community tank.

SOME DAY I'm going to do a full species tank for them. I also want to try them with super orange medaka. Currently have them in with livebearers. I've never had any of the problems people whine about with them. I think people get aggression problems when they put too small of a group in and keep them in the high 70s all of the time when they're a subtropical fish that's happier at the low end of tropical.
>>
>>4036107
How cold is it where you have them? are they a ''fancy'' breed or are they mutts? i was thinking of getting some white tuxedo guppies, which are liek 7 dollars each where i live,
>>
>>4036100
Some of the heritage strains from ye olden days were both good looking and retardedly hardy. One of the old breeders would purposefully infect his fish with ich, velvet, redworm, etc and only let the survivors breed. Meanwhile modern guppies keel over the second they see a single bacterium.
>>
>>4036247
I buy fancy breeds of various types and they breed into mutts. Ive had heater issues so my water was ofter 50-60 for the past few weeks. I noticed many of my fancy ones didnt last the cold but i usually keep my pond at about 78 when i have a good heater working. I kind of keep tossing random guppies once in a while for color variety. I get fancy and mutts as long as they look cool and can add cool colors
>>
>>4036247
Also the coldest our nights have gotten have been 40ish °f.
>>
>>4036117
i found them on a pond, but they are apparently invasive.
>>
>>4036244
Yea they are a pretty sweet fish. You got any pics of that male with the cool finnage? I havent seen much aggression with my fish, and they are all male and the tank stays at 80F. Only aggression is the two bigger males around feeding time. The small male displays this playing dead behavior to avoid fights with the two bigger males. I though he had a swim bladder issue or something else but he only does it when another male squares up with him, then stops as soon as the big male loses interest. The pic is a shitty screenshot from a video, but you can see the small guy is belly up to the bigger one.
>>
>>4036248
thats really cool. i remember a video from aquarium co-op that talked about it. the new guppys look good, but they are weak as fuck.
>>
>>4036292
Yeah my newer fancy ones dont last long but they are there long enough to breed with my existing guppies so its not so bad i suppose when i lose fish
>>
File: IMG_20210711_162215.jpg (2.66 MB, 4032x3024)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>4036286
>cool
I wouldn't call it cool, he looks mildly retarded. this is when I first got him. He looks much better now (and so does that tank lmao), he came in with some swim bladder problems but I gradually nursed him back to health. would take a new pic but he's currently hiding in a thicket of water sprite, he typically comes out more late at night or early in the morning.
>>
>>4036197
Thanks anon. First time in 30 years of fishkeeping trying a dirted tank with nothing other than a light and heater.
>>
File: 5x5sxc7tkdp61.jpg (92 KB, 640x853)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Sound like a good 30 gallon?

6 hatchet fish
2 angel fish
6 Corey cats
10 neon tetra

Minimalist decor with a large Amazon sword in the centre

Does this seem over crowded?

Pic similar to what I'm planning
>>
>>4036324
I would skip the angels
>>
>>4036327
I want a showpiece fish
Do you suggest something else? Pearl gourami maybe?
>>
>>4036262
>>4036264
Thanks for the answer. It's the kind of the same where I live. Nights wont get below 50F.
About the mutts, yeah. You are supposed to cull the ugly looking ones to keep the strain pure or something, but i wouldnt have the heart to do that, so ill just toss the ugly ones in a pond outdoors and let our lord jesus decide their fate.
>>
File: 1642041274608.jpg (3.68 MB, 2060x2746)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
Post natural light
>>
>>4036334
beautiful pic, nice work
>>
>>4036184
Sweet. I like the slope of the substrate. How long has it been up and running?
>>
>>4036117
Just buy feeder guppies.
>>
>>4036191
Nice. What kind of plants are those?
>>
>>4036324
More hatchets and loose the angels.
>>
>>4036324
Well definitely verge on over crowded. Youll need to feed carefully and do frequent water changes.
I would start out with some of the fish you mentioned, see how it is and add more slowly until you find the right amount for the tank.
>>
>>4036328
A single Gourami could work. Perhaps a German Ram if you up to the care they require.
>>
>>4036334
looks nice
>>
>>4036361
Ammannia Gracilis
Red Flame Sword - back left
Staurogyne Repens
Dwarf Hairgrass
>>
>>4036376
>German Ram if you up to the care they require.
? I've had German Blue Rams for a few years now. They don't seem to require anything special.

>>4036324
Apistogramma Cacatuoides. Despite their very flashy and aggressive cichlid appearance, they are very chill to non-cichlids.
>>
>>4035920
>>4035931
Looks like a common alpine newt. Really easy newt for beginners if it's not hard to keep your water cold.
>>
>>4036169
If you show me some pictures and measurements of what you want I can 3D Print something for you.
>>
>>4036435
Ty for existing, not same anon btw
>>
>>4035597
So it would be okay to take sand from the ocean and place it in the tank?
>>
>>4036435
I'm looking for these guys: https://www.amazon.com/Lifegard-Aquatics-MPT-Profile-Strainer/dp/B00M0RBOV0

Have been completely unsuccesful in finding them. Thank you anon.
>>
how often should i replace floss pad?
change it just when it got fully brown should i be good letting it sit until it's a full on mud pile?
>>
File: 1633294419948.jpg (73 KB, 960x960)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
How does this plant bundle look to stock my first 55 gal walstad tank with? A selection of amazon.com's cheapest that I can now afford thanks to a gift card. I'll go on a kayak adventure to gather hornwort when spring comes:
>ludwigia arcuata (needle leaf ludwigia)
>rotala sp. green
>rotala indica
>brazilian pennywort
>guppy grass
>tall hairgrass
>ludwigia repens
>java fern windelow
>java moss
I was limited to items in the $4-7 range. Hopefully they're not dead on arrival and fill out in the tank. Is there a fast-growing guppy-friendly plant that I missed? I'm hedging my bets that the java moss and guppy grass get huge.
>>
>>4036553
whoops, forgot to include:
>water wisteria
>water sprite
>>
>>4036469
Yes. It's a common substrate for african cichlids and livebearers, it's sold as aragonite sand. If taking sand out of the wild I'd give it a good soak and rinse before putting it in the tank to remove stray particulates and kill off the saltwater bacteria outside of the tank.
>>
>>4036330
Im not line breeding, im in it for crazy looking colors and to have a ton of fish ;)
>>
>>4036553
Pretty good, i'm a big fan of water sprite, less so water wisteria. All of that should give you the density you need. I'd also add some crypts since most of your plants grow up high but those can get expensive. Dwarf chain sword is also a great option for filling in the lower level of a tank with a loose carpet
>>
>algae killed 3 of my lps corals and 1 of my zoas
I just don’t know what the fuck I’m doing wrong. I bought 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 Foxface and 1 Two Barred Rabbitfish for my 60-gallon tank and hope that this shit won’t happen again.
>>
>>4036847
In my experience, fish rarely help with bad algae issues. Coral have natural defense against algae, so it is a battle of whether the coral's defenses (toxins) are strong enough to keep algae at bay. If the coral is not doing well, they can get quickly overrun. If you have zoa gardens you've probably seen this; some zoas look perfect while another variety right next to it gets overtaken.

Generally the solution is a combination of:
1) more robust, more variety of bacteria
2) controlled nutrients via refugium
3) Feeding/dosing control
Lots of reefers has had success with adding bacteria like Dr. Tim's waste away or what not (Dr. Tim has like a dozen various bacteria products; I am not familiar with them). Having a really health refugium is what works for me, although getting that refugium to grow the stuff I want took a couple of tries (it also got overrun with hair algae, which technically could work to reduce algae in the display like an algae scrubber, but it is too annoying to maintain so I much prefer traditional macro).
>>
Leaf(Ontario) here, what site's best for ordering Shrimp? I'm a decent distance from any shop that sells them.
>>
File: PXL_20220113_172019390~2.jpg (1.02 MB, 3036x2160)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
Picked up a second parrot yesterday, been doing better than I expected with my other one. Only a few hours of chasing and stand offs but no real fighting at all.
Pink one on the left is the new male to go with my original female. Hoping they eventually pair, not for babys obviously just so they tolerate each other.

Shitty picture included
>>
>>4036359
Set it up about 2 weeks ago. The water isn’t as clear as I was hoping but it still has a few weeks left before any shrimp goes in.

Would it be a good idea if I do a water change before I and shrimp?
>>
Whats the best type of filter for a 10 gal? I know I know, it's a left over tank I got purchasing a snake off Craigslist, the snake is in a proper home now and it's a functional tank so I wanted to fill it with something.
I'm not going to have anything complex in there, so is there any problem with HOB? I do want shrimp, does this necessitate a sponge filter, and if so how do I deal with the air pump noise? I'd rather provide maximum internal space and a HOB does that but I see them shit on here all the time.

If a HOB is fine any specific recommendations?
>>
>>4036984
HOBs seem noisier and more intrusive on a ten gal, imo. A small sponge filter would probably be ideal for such a basic setup. I muffle the air pump by shoving it into a wooly sock. Alternatively you could stick the pump outside a window and run the airline inside, which has the added benefit of injecting fresh outside air into the tank.
>>
>>4036984
I don't think you'd need both a hob and a sponge filter for a 10 gal
either one will do
>>
>>4036984
The nano pump from Aquarium Co-Op is virtually silent and it will power anything you want to use to filter your tank. I would recommend a sponge filter though.
>>
>>4037049
you will be buying that pump every 6 months though or maybe I just got a shitty batch
>>
>>4037074
What happened with yours? I bought one back in August, used it for a month until I got a larger pump for my tank. Put it away and didn't need it until a month later for a quarantine tank and it was making a really loud noise when I had it hanging from the loop. I could turn it on it's side and the noise would stop but kind of a pain in the ass, especially when the price he charges went up a couple dollars.
>>
>>4036861
Thanks anon
>>
>>4037074
Mine all still work but they're really annoying sounding. I prefer a constant loud THRUMMMMM over two out of sync brrrrrrs. I keep them around to run airstones in buckets and stuff but I run my tanks on a couple of tetra whispers now. I did get a third one that was 100% nonfunctional before giving up on them though.
>>
>>4036984
I recommend against a HOB for shrimp, you'll need to put a prefilter sponge on it anyways so there's no way around the ugly sponge in the tank. The extra water volume won't help you that much imo. Also they add flow which shrimp aside from bamboo shrimp dont like.

Undergravel is an un-discussed option that only has one disadvantage, you have to use gravel.
>>
>>4036984
aquaclear 30
>>
What do I do with old substrate? Do I put it in a bag and shelve it? (after drying it of course)
Do I dump it in the garden? Trash it?
>>
>>4037284
never throw anything away, hoard fish shit in your garage
>>
How is it that an aquaclear pumps less and has a smaller media chamber than a Tidal but cleans so much better?
I have a feeling it has more suction as it only pulls water in from one part instead of three like the TIdal.
>>
>>4037331
This is the number one thing I always tell newbies. Shit is going to break, get worn out etc, always better to have backups then to lose an entire tank.
>>
>>4037450
no you need to consoom more, throw out your shit and dump prime in the tank every time something's off.
>>
>>4037460
>Dump prime

I don't think i've had prime in 10 years.
Urine is stable and is now used for the pandemic.
>>
>>4036996
>>4037004
>>4037049
>>4037074
>>4037229
>>4037259
thanks anons this was really helpful
>>
>>4037467
I just buy sodium thiosulfate and mix my own in a pump bottle. The plus side of having extra around is it's a cure for cyanide poisoning. Just in case some nazis try to gas you with zyklon-b.
>>
File: dechlorinator.jpg (137 KB, 1280x720)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>4037477
we both know this is the only solution for tap water
>>
>>4037481
livebearers like alkalinity and bleach is the fastest way to pHmaxx. Arm & Hammer is just trying to jew you with an inferior half measure. My guppies love it!
>>
Hello sirs I am inheriting a 15 gallon tank and an assortment of equipment from someone and want to get started with my first aquarium
but first I want to clean all this white calcified shit off the glass and make it nice and clear. I see people recommending soaking in white vinegar, will this damage the sealant if I leave it too long?
>>
>>4037582
Probably not. I mean you probably don't want to leave it soaking in vinegar for a month, but in the short term it should be fine. I've never run into issues using vinegar on even the cheapest Aqueon junk.
>>
I love my betta tank so much bros
>>
>>4037470
I would add an aquarium coop intake sponge to the HOB filter, gives you more media and keeps things from getting stuck. Theres 3d printed stuff on Etsy as well.
>>
>>4037582
Perhaps come CLR cleaner if you careful with it. I am interested in this as well. I have some super solid calcium deposits on the back of my tank.
>>
>small tremors pops up and rock my tank to shit
jesus christ
>>
>>4037685
My substrate arrives today, gonna plant a 5 gallon up and post pics later. I think I'm gonna use dwarf sag in the back which will eventually grow all over the tank (it's a tallboi), a couple of crypts in the foreground, a banana plant and some spare anubias nana petite i have laying around with some of the white rock i have, two pieces of maple branch for wood and tannins. Might take a java fern out of one of my other tanks, will decide if it needs it later. I'll have it ready to house a fellow bettamale by february
>>
>>4037582
meant to reply to this last night.
Scrape off as much as you can first with a razor blade, obviously be careful by the seals. Then put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it lightly all over the tank and let it sit but don't let it dry. Keep spraying it and apply 3 or 4 coats then get to work on removing the buildup.
>>
Anyone grow pothos out of the top of their aquarium? Can't really do floating plants because of my filter and was thinking of trying some, just not really sure where to start.
Been fighting brown algae. Went away after increasing light but now it's slowly coming back again so I'm just trying to starve it out.
>>
>>4037924
Do you know what the cause of the diatoms are?
Sometimes it can be a real bitch to remove.
I was growing 4-5 pothos when I had my diatom outbreak. It really needs to be manually removed
>>
>>4037927
Not really sure to be honest, it's not really like normal brown algae I've seen, more like a really short hair algae. I'm hoping more plants would help since when I increased light I had a green spot algae outbreak when the brown was dying off.
>>
File: Brown-Algae.jpg (123 KB, 1024x768)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>4037929
does it look like this?
>>
File: IMG_5549.jpg (1.47 MB, 3024x4032)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
amazing seeing the difference between a walstad tank and high tech, both planted two days ago.
>>
File: IMG_5548.jpg (1.87 MB, 3024x4032)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>4037953
high tech
>>
File: Snail Sanctuary.png (2.73 MB, 1210x825)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB PNG
What's the most low effort, retard proof way of turning this into a planted tank? Plant selection available to me isn't great.
>>
File: DSC_1808.jpg (1.92 MB, 5232x3488)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>4037955
you could do a lot of water column feeders like anubias or go with root feeders and add root tabs to the substrate.
I like water sprite a lot as it can float and be planted and grow quite quickly.

some watersprite in my 20l blackwater
>>
>>4037946
I don't really have a good picture of it because why would I want to take pictures of algae, but there is a little bit on this old picture. Seems to grow heaviest on the edges of leaves, anubias are being hit the worst.
>>
>>4037113
>>4037215
I used it continually for a couple months because it was so quite yet had a good output. One day it simply stopped working, the motor didn't move anymore. I took it apart to check what went wrong and the "pump" part still works but the motor doesn't turn when I apply any kind voltage. My 5V USB supply felt hot too so the motor probably burned out for some reason. So I checked on amazon (cause these pumps are sold everywhere, also on aliexpress) and people have had similar experiences. Really liked it too while it was working because I hate how loud membrane pumps are, but at least those will run for years.
>>
File: IMG_5252.jpg (2.73 MB, 3024x4032)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
>>4037965
ahh ok yea I see it looks like diatoms have attached themselves to a hair algae.
I like to take pictures when I have an issue or question so that others can see what I'm talking about.
The best way to get rid of that because there is no doubt its all over your substrate even if you cant see it is to gravel vac in quarters. So don't do it all at once. If you happen to have an extra hob you can fill it with sponges or floss and rub the diatoms off the plants and up into the water column to remove it. Also a good idea is to stir up the tank and use a large net to catch the diatoms then dispose of them. Usually takes about a week or two of this to get rid of them.
Here was mine when it got really bad.
one other thing is to cut back on feeding, decomposing food can also cause a spike in phosphates which diatoms love.
>>
anons, i have a 48 L tank, currently with a 50W sobo heater, friend of mine said that it would be more energy efficient if i get myself a good brand 100W heater for that tank, would it be actually a good idea? or i would just end up boiling my fish since its a more powerful heater than the 50w?
>>
>>4037997
Yes, or you can buy another 50w for better distribution and backup.
>>
>>4037997
Your friend is an idiot, do not put a 100w heater in a 48l tank. Run multiple small heaters rather than one big one. It's far less catastrophic when one of them fails that way.
>>
>>4037998
heat distribution is not the main issue, but that the heaters are making my electricity bill really fucking high, thats why my friend told me to get another 50W but not a chinese brand but an actual good one, or get a 100W that it will help me as well
>>
>>4038006
are you sure its the heater that is causing your bills to go up?
Thats like having a 60 watt standard lightbulb running 3/4 of the day.
Do you have a lid for your aquarium?
>>
>>4038011
i have 10W led reflectors on my aquariums, they are on for about 4-5hrs a day, maybe could be because of that?
>>
>>4038014
1 reflector on each of my 3 tanks
>>
>>4038018
thats only 30 watts
>>
File: kingramshorn.jpg (386 KB, 2048x1536)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
>>4034885
>there are people in this thread right now who dislike ramshorn snails
snailbros?
>>
>>4038014
LEDs are very energy efficient, heaters are definitely the most energy inefficient thing you can run in an aquarium unless you're using a chiller. Part of why I *mostly* keep fish at room temp these days. Even a lot of the fish that people scream NEED to be at 72-82 are completely fine at 68-70 for a couple months of the year.

>>4038046
They just breed more than I'd like
>just feed less bro!
I run heavily planted aquariums, there's always something for them to eat in there (they do prefer dead or dying leaves/plants but if you really starve them they will start to nibble on softer leafed stuff). I found that feeding less just ended up starving and killing a couple of my runty fish. I accepted that I just need to manually remove them when the populations get too high.
>>
>>4038057
where i live room temp is about 18ºc at day, 15-14º maybe? at night
>>
>>4038063
that's retarded, room temp is 20c/68f. any less than that is a joke. I do have one tank that's 66 which is like 18.5c or some shit? full of livebearers and they do fine. It's really unfortunate that heaters suck so much, quite easily the worst piece of equipment in the hobby.
>>
>>4038046
well as far as pest snails go i appreciate them more than the pond/bladder snails in my tank
>>
File: 20220114_180644_1_1.webm (1.31 MB, 1920x1080)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB WEBM
What's wrong with this guy? ;__;
It looks like he's not getting enough air, and his belly is bloated. He's also not eating.
What do I do?
>>
>>4038122
Probably deeply depressed from living in a walmart storage container with zero habitat.
>>
>>4038122
Small ass tank
Beta sharks shouldn't be sold to idiots like you
>>
>>4038134
>>4038151
It's a hospital 'tank'.
I got him yesterday and he didn't look too good so I quarantined him and his friend. I have a 450 L, but he's not going in there yet in case whatever he has is contagious.
>>
what's the biggest fish i can have for a 40 gallon?
been having a 15 gallon for so long i want to finally try something outside of the 3~ inches range
>>
>>4038169
forgot to mention it's a breeder if it changes anything
>>
>>4038169
probably a couple of goldfish. I'd say nothing bigger than 6-7''ish
>>
>>4038169
It'd have to be something that doesn't need a school.
How large are you thinking?
For 6 in fish I'd suggest 3-4 Siamese algae eaters. They have great personality and keep the tank clean.

If you like brightly coloured stuff then maybe angelfish or gourami? They're also around 6 in.

If you want something really huge then it'd need to be a non-schooling fish.
Maybe an oscar? They can get up to 14 in. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with keeping one in a 40g though.
>>
>>4038006
I would not skimp on the heater/s.
>>
>>4038122
feed boiled peas without the skin, (could be constipation) run some meds like paracleanse or Prazipro. Probably a parasite of some kind.
>>
>>4038157
Anyway.
They're in that 10 L box, for now, with 1/2 dose of Bactopur Direct (since it lowers oxygen in the water) and around 0.3% salt.
Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if you recognize what's wrong with him.
I really want him to live
>>
>>4038201
Peas help with constipation? Thanks a lot , I'll try that tomorrow. I've only tried giving them flakes and tubifex so far.
The only parasite treatment that I have at hand is Nendol, would that work?
>>
File: 20220114_142828.jpg (2.55 MB, 4000x1800)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
Almost done cycling my 75 gallon. I'm planning to move my angelfish in but I'm looking to get some cool oddball bottom dwellers. I was thinking 2 ropefish but not sure about their size working with that setup. I have lots of space in the rocks for fish to hide. Any ideas?
>>
>>4037953
I don't get it. Is the wastad producing better results?
>>
>>4038057
>heaters are definitely the most energy inefficient thing you can run in an aquarium unless you're using a chiller
not really, heaters are 100% efficient because all of the heat they generate gets dumped into the water
>>
>>4038222
that boy is pearling my friend, the other plant is getting hit with hair algae.
>>
File: betta home.jpg (3.69 MB, 4032x3024)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
decided to throw some dwarf chain sword in there too, yeah it will take over the bottom but eventually i want both shrimp and a betta in here and i think that gives them a better chance than the two crypts i had free.
>>
>>4038209
Cute. I like it.

Pygmy corydoras?
>>
>>4038209
Hoplo or porthole catfish are under rated in favor of corydoras in the hobby, they're very similar in care but have a more classic catfish shape.
>>
>>4038222
The walstad is still green due to no co2. The high tech tank is already turning red.

>>4038231
thats not pearling, that is still bubbles from when I filled the tank yesterday afternoon.
>>
>>4038242
>The walstad is still green due to no co2. The high tech tank is already turning red.
Is the plant reddening a bad sign? Is it good that the walstad plant remains green? Sorry for the big dumb.
>>
>>4038122
Update.
He's been swimming with his mouth above the surface for hours now.
I feel so bad, but I don't know what to do to help. The other fish isn't having the same problem, so it's not the water.
I tried putting a cup in there to use as a platform to get closer to the surface, but he's not using it.
>>
>>4038260
its neither good nor bad. co2 will help it turn red which is cool because I have all green in my big tank.
>>
File: 61wYFqFldHL._AC_SX425_.jpg (44 KB, 425x1145)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>4038266
>just do it
>>
>>4038272
As euthanasia or just to knock him out? ;_;
I'm going to try medicating him and doing 50% water changes for at least a few more days I think.
>>
>>4038272
y'all mfs like drawing things out huh. a swift bricking on the back patio is my preferred method of euthanasia. bag 'em & brick 'em
>>
>>4038280
clove takes less time than to go get a brick from outside.
>>
>>4038280
I shoot them, its more dignified. usually use .308 so the bullet's bigger than the fish, it just deletes them.
>>
File: blowed-up.gif (1.97 MB, 468x263)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB GIF
>>4038284
screw trying to aim...
>>
>>4038284
>>4038282
To be honest, I'd rather just get the kitchen knife if I was to kill him.
But I'm going to try medicating first.
>>
co2 bros is it safe to run a very low level of co2 at first? like 1 bubble per second in a 40g breeder? I want to go very slowly but noticed my PH dropped from around 6.8ish to 6.5ish which I expected. I just wasn't sure if something weird could happen running a very low amount of co2. My drop checker is on the opposite end of the tank and stays blue. I'm on day 2. Solenoid comes on a hour before lights, lights run for 8 hours with an hour of sunrise and sunset (8 hours total).
>>
>>4038204
You want to blanch the peas in boiling water then remove the skin. Not sure if those fish will eat it. Helps to fast them but you said its not already eating. I would really reccomend using some parasite/deworming meds. I have a feeling that could be your issue. Do you have easy access to a fish store with meds? I try to keep a few on hand that way you dont have to run out whenever you need them.
>>
>>4038233
very nice.
>>
>>4038320
for correct co2 injection you want to run it to allow a 1point ph drop throughout co2 on to co2 off.
>>
>>4038272
do the parasite meds man.
https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatics-ParaCleanse-Treatment-Aquarium/dp/B09F4WDZW5
buy some anyway so you have it ready next time you need it.
>>
>>4038327
so if it was 7.0 drop it to 6.0 or 6.9?
>>
>>4038266
https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatics-Expel-P-20-Count/dp/B08SBLJ121/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>
>>4038330
>>
>>4038266
https://www.amazon.com/Fritz-Aquatics-ParaCleanse-Treatment-Aquarium/dp/B09F4WDZW5
>>
>>4038330
>>4038333
>>4038320
Every tank is different, some will say its 1 bubble per second per 10 gallons of water but I find that to not be precise.
I have a 44g long and I have to pump 7-8 bps into it to get a 1ph drop.
My 20 long is about 2 bps and get the same 1point ph drop.
>>
>>4038323
>Do you have easy access to a fish store with meds?
I can get stuff in a week online. Unfortunately it's illegal to sell a lot of fish medicine here due EU regulations, webstores usually are stocked though. Thankfully.
>>4038332
>>4038334
Thanks, I haven't seen this before, I'll look into it tomorrow.
>>
will guppies and mosquitofish hybridize in the aquarium?
>>
>>4038336
I ran 1 BPS yesterday and it dropped the ph roughly .6-.8
>>
>>4038337
https://www.amazon.com/Hikari-Usa-AHK73254-Prazipro-Aquarium/dp/B004LOBGYA
Ive also had good look with this. Check the active ingredients of the ones I linked and you may be able to find other meds that are similar in your area if you cant find those specifically.
>>
>>4038338
no, guppies will hybridize with endlers and mollies but not mosquitofish, you might be able to get a pregnancy interspecies but the fry will not be viable. Muppies are also 100% sterile, extremely weak and to get a male guppy to breed a molly takes some work, won't typically happen with them just in a community together (the opposite, male molly female guppy always results in a dead female guppy)
>>
>>4038355
thank you, this helped a lot
>>
>>4038339
ok cool so try 2 and record that drop over a few days and see what the average is
>>
>>4037885
Nice! What kind are you looking for? I have a really chill half moon in that pic who doesn’t bother shrimp at all which rules. But I also have a plakat and he’s a lot more spunky for sure. I think I’d go with another plakat that likes flaring desu.
>>
>>4038417
Depends what they have when I go to the local store looking for a betta. My ideal would be a koi plakat I think. I think the flow I have in there would likely be too much for a half moon and I can't adjust it down that much more.

Also
>white clouds still have some bacterial issues
>start dosing kanaplex in food
>food sinks super fast and white clouds are too stupid to understand how to feed beneath midwater
>notice they chase the laser of my thermometer
>got one of them to start eating medicated food off of the driftwood by guiding it to him with the laser
Tried getting my paradise fish to chase it to the hydra but he's too lazy, prefers laying around all day, occasionally going up for air.
>>
>>4038423
nice.
>>
File: file.png (470 KB, 773x1024)
470 KB
470 KB PNG
I need new lights for a 20 gallon tank, I want something that looks like pic rel, something more classic lamp looking and I like the hinge instead of the gooseneck. I would get 2 small ones because it's a 20 long tank. Anybody know of a good one?
>>
>>4038209
I think ropefish are fine. Way better choice than cories.
>>
>>4038209
you MUST make sure the lid is sealed super tight and the intakes have no room for them to slip into. They will try their hardest to get into spaces you wouldve never thought they could fit.
>>
>>4038284
Fucking based
>>
>>4038209
Senegal Bichir are also very hardy and cool fish. Loved mine for years.
>>
>>4038284
At that point you can slide it into the barrel and send him of with the salute
>>
>molted
>lost its color
Dumb Cherry Shrimp, my cichlid will get a live snack tomorrow.
>>
File: 20220115_142345.jpg (2.23 MB, 4032x2268)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
Update
I put a few drops of Nedol in the water yesterday and over night he has gotten better and finally stopped coming to the surface for air.
To be honest I'm not sure if it's the parasite treatment or the 0.3% salt that helped. I guess I'll keep treating him with both.
He's still not eating though.

The instructions for Nedol reccomend 10 days, which seems a long time to keep them in a 10L box.
>>
>>4038868
not eating in quarantine is usually stress.
>>
>>4038893
Right. Any advice on reducing stress?
I put a blanket over the front of the box so that they can't see me walking around the room.
>>
>>4038777
ugly shrimp and ugly guppies live short, brutish lives
>>
>>4038907
at a certain point you just have to let things be. either hell make it or he won't. Thats just how it is. You can definitley do too much, constantly messing with the tank. I'd say just give him a couple days of nothing changing. When was the last time it ate?
>>
>>4038868
>Nedol
I looked that up, your putting human antipsychotics in a aquarium?
>>
>>4038868
>Nedol
>>4039034
fucking KEK!

Nedol 5 MG Tablet is an antipsychotic that is used for the treatment of schizophrenia (a brain disorder characterized by delusions, hallucinations, reduced speaking) and other mood disorders. Take this medicine at the same time regularly.
>>
>>4039034
>>4039046
dunno if it's the same one that anon use but there's a fish roundoworm medicine called nedol also
look up jbl nedol
>>
>>4039034
>>4039046
kek no, they just happen to share the same name.
The medicine I'm using contains benzimidazole.
>>4039062
Yeah, it's that one.
>>
File: Em4ROBiXIAMUK4Y.png (4 KB, 275x369)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
why aree my plants melting????
>>
>>4039131
because you're a bad person and they detect it. you're posting angry memes and they know your vibe is not good so they refuse to play. chill, let nature take its course and they will respond positively.
>>
File: 1606252460777.jpg (40 KB, 600x800)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>4039135
they grew fine
i changed nothing, but reduce livestock from the tank
they started melting
is it a lack of nitrates? no further changes were done and nitrates are at 25 mg/l
they were higher before
>>
>>4039170
you took theri friends, that's not nice dude.
>>
>>4039182
cant uneat those yummy guppies im afraid
>>
>>4034885
blew a load on a dwarf chain loach mob. Wonder with these will color up as they mature, or has their pattern been diminished with the mass breeding. Figured there’s no alternative sources so I went with them
>>
File: 1640315252522.jpg (2.33 MB, 5632x4224)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
Where do you get Sawagani in Canada I'm looking everywhere and its just food wholesalers where you gotta buy hundreds at once I just want a couple :c
Also here is my crayfish
>>
If I’m moving my fish to a new tank is it possible to throw them in immediately if I transfer over wood/plants/filter media? I’m adding new substrate, though. New tank is bigger
>>
>>4039402
if everything moves over the disruption should be pretty minimal. provided you move it over fast and dont let the bacteria die back it should be fine. i'd just test daily and/or feed lightly the first couple of days.
>>
what the fuck is this snail? i did not ask for it, i have no idea how it got in my tank, it is very small (<.125") and there is only one at the moment.

pic 1/2
>>
pic 2/2
>>
>>4039474
looks like a typical “pest snail”. The babies must be tiny and they can make their way on plants, even when you net new fish and put them in your tank, a tiny baby can be in there.
>>
>>4039067
kek
>>
>>4039131
How long ago did you add them to your tank? What are your nitrates and what fertilizer do you use how often? What size tank and what kind of lighting?
>>
>>4039272
pics?
>>
>>4039499
cool. i just want to be sure it's not some incredibly poisonous menace or something, i know some snails tend to be a bit nasty about that.

would it be a good idea to get a nerite snail for this 5 gallon and remove this snail? or just leave this guy alone?
>>
>>4039474
>>4039476
Welcome to the bladder cult, friend.
>>
https://www.felixsmart.com/
someone buy one
>>
>>4039521
>internet goes down
>aquarium pump stops working
No thanks, not everything needs a fucking phone app let alone my fish tank.
>>
>>4039521
>first internet-connected smart controller
Neptune Apex has been around for four years now, and I don't think that was even the first.
>>
>>4039521
Smart V2 Controller
Smart Monitors (pH, NH3, SG, ORP, PAR, Water Level and Temperature)
Smart Felix AI + Mobile App
360° Submersible Aquarium Camera
Bluetooth Connect
$1,179.00 USD

You're fucking kidding me.
>>
>>4039504
I couldn’t get a picture if I tried, lights are out now though. They are spastically running back and forth, up and down the glass. There’s a couple smaller ones that are much slower that have been hunting seed shrimp. Hope the smaller ones don’t have the parasites people seem to suggest loaches often have

They basically look like pic, even the larger ones in the group. I went to a couple different stores and they all looked the same, probably all come from the same breeding program I’m sure..

I have some neon kobutai rasboras in with them, seem to be an ideal top level tank mate
>>
>>4039503
already answered in thread
>>
>>4039407
Alright I’ll just stand by with water changes and see how it goes
>>
>>4039546
That price isn't anymore than other reef-oriented controllers, the problem is all the established controllers out there do more, like measure phosphate, CA, Mg, and alkalinity, auto-dosing based on test results, and they can all be controlled, monitored, and recorded via the cloud, however it is also not dependent on it.

The only measurement that's kind of uncommon there is PAR, however most PAR instruments for consumers are pretty shit, and you shouldn't need to monitor it constantly.
>>
File: 20220115_204815.jpg (1.76 MB, 4032x3024)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
Finally got my tangerine tiger shrimp in the mail. Fuckers gonna be legit when they get bigger and color up.
>>
>>4039593
caridina shrimp have more sovlfvl eyes than neocaridinas desu.
>>
File: 20220114_224513.jpg (2.11 MB, 3004x3730)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
>>
FUCKING GUPPIES EAT MY SHRIMP BABIES!
>>
>>4039528
there was some casino that got hacked through their internet connected aquarium stuff, ohio fish rescue bought their tanks afterwards
>>
>>4039679
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06nH2wuthRQ
>>
I just maxxed out a 500 mg/l nitrate test strip. 150ish after 30% water change with 15mg/l tap water.
Doesn't really compute.
I had a tough time, didn't check water parameters for months but the aquarium ran fine with all those nitrates.
What should I do?
>>
>>4039679
It's fucking hilarious how much people trust "apps" when most of the time it's just a gigantic security hole.
If there's an option to do something through a browser instead of a special app, always go for the browser option.
Half these apps don't even use https.
>>
>>4039680
really put the "ocean" in Ocean Eleven
>>
do bettas really need cycling and a real full tank?
I knew this kid a long time ago that had kept one in a beer mug and would do a 100% water change with just dechlorinator. plus all the people that keep them with lucky bamboo which is probably a bad idea right?
>>
>>4039680
He's got that "it was aliens" pose.
>>
>>4039736
depends do you consider keeping a lethargic fish in a beer mug fun to look at?
surviving does not mean thriving
>>
>>4039751
How long do those ones in the little cups at the store typically last before a wagie has to flush 'em?
>>
File: 20220114_023640.jpg (2.94 MB, 4032x3024)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
My Aquarium is going through what I can only assume to be an algae bloom and I'm worried my Mystery snails are dying. My water is white and cloudly after I tried to switch to a sponge filter and aggressive water changes (~50% every few days) and putting the old filter back has not fixed it. My water parameters are reading fine and the garden snails that are infesting the tank aren't dropping dead.

Is my tank doomed bros?
>>
>>4039774
i think that's a bacterial bloom instead, never had one but i heard it's pretty common in new tank and is actually good
>>
>>4039777
Sorry I'm really tired and not thinking right. Yeah I meant a bacteria bloom. The thing is my tank is well established and has been up for almost 6 months now
>>
>>4039782
I think it looks more like bacteria too.
Is there oil on the surface?
Maybe there's something decomposing in the tank, try moving decoration and gravelvacing under it. Sometimes there's buildup of food or waste there.
Also check for leaves in your filter
>>
>>4035724
What if I think gravel is ugly and want to cap it with black sand?
>>
What's the best way to clean a tank up without leaving residue or hard water marks?
>>
Got my new filter to stop making a loose rock noise by throwing the impeller on the ground super hard and slamming the main filter box on the floor really hard.
Percussive maintenance really is a thing.
>>
anyone here ever look at the surface of a tank after you put in a few pellets in and notice some dusty particle on the stop starting to go off sorta like a firework?
i don't know how else to describe it it's so bizzare
>>
>>4034885
I fucking love aquariums bros. I used to be addicted to methamp but I've been able to shift the compulsions to fishkeeping and basically I have a much better quality of life. I still spend hundreds per month but on fish gear instead of brain rotting drugs.

/rant
>>
>>4039511
it's starting to make little wormy things
>>
>>4040069
what do you keep nowadays?
>>
File: 1630001673895.jpg (72 KB, 720x675)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>4040103
fish, presumably
>>
>>4039878
Citric acid or vinegar.

>>4039940
Those are springtails.
>>
>>4040109
>springtails
really? the one on mine are like barely visible to the naked eye though
>>
>>4040119
The variety that can survive on the surface of the water are incredibly small. I had the same thing when I kept red root floaters. Looked at them under a microscope and yup, springtails.

I won't deny it's possible it's something else but I would wager that's what you're looking at. Totally harmless.
>>
>>4039763
Some people say they see them in the cups for at least a month but unless the shop is on top of keeping the cups clean(and the majority of them aren't) those fish end up dead and dying pretty quick.
>>
>>4039877
The larger gravel particles eventually end up on top of the sand through agitation
>>
>>4040161
wow okay then thanks
they don't give your skin an itch or something right
>>
>>4034885
my fish have been genociding the copepod swarm in my aquarium, they must eat 1000s a day. After making some headway, it appears they are losing ground and their numbers are recovering.

Will this mist of micro critters be a permanent feature? Makes the water look a little milky senpai
>>
>>4040247
>this much seethe
i see why they're called copepods
>>
>>4040209
I think springtails are one of the most abundant creatures on the planet, if they gave people itches life would be a lot more difficult
>>
>first time doing this aquarium shindig aside from goldfish in a balloon type deals
>don't want little ocean beings to die, research a whole bunch
>got my water tested after a day
>petstore employee said it was looking good for the cherry shrimp I wanted
I'm going to hold out for another week or two to make sure the water conditions are stable, but man , I can feel my excitement building.
>>
>>4040458
cherry shrimp should do fine in most anything, a lot of experience hobbyists claim they need a seasoned tank that has been cycled for a few months and has mulm/detritus and algae but I find they do fine in all of my tanks, which range from 6pH to 8pH, from extremely minimal hardness/tds to aragonite sand substrate liquid rock, some tanks with fish, some with just shrimp, some in the mid 60s, some in the upper 70s. They breed and thrive in all of them, the only thing the tanks have in common are plants, lots of plants.
>>
File: 1636337540390.jpg (88 KB, 640x638)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>4040483
all i can buy locally are feeder ghost shrimp from petco. are they just as good as other shrimp species? can i form a stable breeding colony of ghost shrimp to live in my tank? personally i really dig their look and their cheapness is attractive
>>
>>4040483
>>4040527
not the anon you replied to btw
>>
>>4040527
Ghost shrimp's value lies in their simplicity. They'll breed with decent work towards conditions, and yeah, they're cheap.
Do it, anon.
>>
>>4040527
Problem with ghost shrimp is there are several species of the genus palaemonetes sold under that trade name, I know some of the species are definitely livebearers and can be colony bred like cherry shrimp, i think some of the others don't breed well in captivity and may need brackish water at some life phase like amano shrimp do. Some of them have free-swimming larval stages and will need to be fed fry foods and treated more like tiny fish fry (and will get deleted in tanks that have fish). Some are even salt water and will survive awhile in fresh water but since they're intended as feeders and nobody really gives a shit if feeder shrimp die they get lumped in with freshwater cousins at chain stores.

Most shrimp of this genus are slightly more aggressive than neocaridina shrimp and may eat fry or other shrimplets, small snails, etc. It's really hard though because of how many species we're discussing here. Only two species of Neocaridina shrimp really exist in the hobby, Davidii and Palmata (aka zhangjiajiensis, same species, these are the 'pearl' color morphs). There are a bunch of different caridina shrimp but it's mostly cantonensis (bee shrimp, tiger shrimp, blue bolts, etc) and multidentata (amano shrimp) plus a bunch of species from Sulawesi.

Feeder shrimp are nasty and parasite ridden usually, they're usually very hardy once you clean them up though. Be sure to run meds through them and quarantine.
>>
>>4040551
i'm not such a high power level aquarist that i can medicate shrimp. quarantining is just about in my wheelhouse. the plan is to buy several batches alternately from petco and petsmart, throw them all into my 55 gal and let nature take its course. the tank is heavily planted with pennywort, java moss and guppy grass. they'll be cohabitating with guppies.
>>
>>4040569
I'd at least quarantine, guppies can be really vulnerable to basically all kinds of illness these days, especially males and especially extra fancy line bred males.
>>
>>4040576
will do
>>
>>4040458
The most important bits of advice I can think of for a new hobbyist is:
1) Don't get discouraged if you don't immediately succeed.
2) Continue to have patience.
3) Learn from mistakes.
I've been in the hobby longer than a lot of people on /an/ have been alive and I still lose fish and make mistakes every now and then. Just keep trying to do better than last time.
>>
What type of fish is this? I saw it at a fish store and like its funny nose but didn’t get a chance to ask it’s name and the tank was incorrectly labeled
>>
>>4040636
Bird Wrasse
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/297/?pcatid=297
>>
File: halotank.jpg (1.75 MB, 4000x3000)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>4040628
Thanks anon have a sneak peek aquarium pic
>>
>>4040678
That plastic will leach toxins that will kill whatever you put in there.
>>
>>4040692
Mega blox are made of acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, like legos. Far as I could read, it's pretty safe
>shrimp aren't plankton
idk man if you got better research I'm all ears
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22183785/
>>
>>4040678
bruh take those legos out lmao
>>
>>4040692
If they are legit Legos, it is actually fine. They are inert and stable. There's a surprisingly long and detailed history on this involving kid safety and even use in aquariums.

I cannot say the same for any other toy brand though. It's just that Lego is so huge and ubiquitous that they've been put through the wringer more than practically any other toy.
>>
>>4040704
they're megablox, knockoff legos
>>
>>4040692
>muh toxins
nah lmao most plastics are practically inert. Short of throwing a car battery or some rare mineral you found in an abandoned copper mine in your aquarium you're not going to get acute or even chronic toxicity.
>>
Do I need to quarantine cherry shrimp going into a community tank or will shrimp not carry disease fish can get?
>>
>>4039609
nice looking shrimp. Im gonna have to get some. What does a first time shrimp owner need to know?
>>
File: babies.jpg (1.3 MB, 2484x2326)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>4040740
viral, no, bacterial, likely not, parasites, possibly.
picrel some of my latest batch of babies eating leftovers.
>>
>>4040741
Not much desu. Shrimp are pretty simple unless you're getting into some of the line bred bee shrimp or esoteric caridina shrimp. Keep nitrates low, keep hardness reasonable but not too high (too much can make it hard to molt and your shrimp won't color up quite as good). pH doesn't matter unless it's above 8 or below 6.5 for neos/cherry shrimp, and down to 6 is doable. You can absolutely do them in an ada aquasoil tank despite people claiming they 'prefer' harder/more alkaline water. Don't overfeed, but also don't starve them. And plants. Plants plants plants, the more the better imo.
>>
What would be a good light for a 40 gallon breeder?
>>
Waiting for the dust from my substrate to settle
>>
>>4040767
My tank goes from 7 to low 6s when the co2 comes on throughout the day
>>
>>4040808
>he doesnt rinse his substrate
>>
>>4040718
>big plastic is shilling in the aquarium thread on the animal board of a tibetan rug weaving forum
>>
I don't wanna brag or nothin, but after a year of owning my canister filter, I figured out how to remove it from the room for cleaning WITHOUT blasting piss everywhere. Also manuals are for fags.
>Leave pump on
>Turn the inlet valve to closed
>Let the pump depressurize itself by leaving the outlet on
>Turn outlet valve to off after 3-4 seconds
>Turn off and disconnect in/out and plug
LIKE FUCKIN MADJIKK NOW I DON'T HAVE TO KEEP A GOTTDAMM PLANT SAUCER UNDERNEATH IT FOR CLEANS
>>
>>4040834
Not many all-316stainless intank, HOB or canister filters around.
Kinda weird how some people are "Oh my goodness you can't have metal in your tank!1!!1oneone" when it comes to decor, hardscape fabbing or ornaments but are all for it with pump inlet/outlets and CO2 lines.
>>
im done
make a new one libtard
>>
Do you get let's your betta watch youtube for more than 5 mins.
>>
>>4040772
I use a nicrew
>>
>>4040966
yes, i turn the monitor towards his tank and loop hatsune miku videos for him while i'm at work. He loves it.
>>
Where's the new thread you cunts
>>
found a 40 breeder online with lengthwise crack that the dude cover up with plaster, claimed that it's water tested with no leaks for 15 bucks
should i take the risk or nah?
>>
>>4041092
I'll never understand this. Aren't 40 breeders still $1/gallon at Petco? They were last month. But why take this risk. If it did crack and you had 40 gallons of water on your carpet, you'll be paying 100-200x your investment just to undo it. This is why crime doesn't pay.

Tl;Dr is no fucking way
>>
>>4041092
no way. I was at petco last night and they were all 30% off
>>
>>4041112
Yeah there's also like a 15% off coupon on the website for in store pickup too. I was there two days ago to get some frozen foods. If you use the Honey browser extension I was able to get $5 off my order with a gift card too.
>>
>>4041090
here you lazy ass
>>4041115
>>
>>4041109
>>4041112
Yeah but the thing is i live in bumfuck nowhere with no big chain fish store or anything like that, just a few lfs here and there
Point taken tho, i'll skip this one out
>>
>>4041118
Petco will ship to you friend
>>
>>4040692
plastic will only leach toxins at certain temperatures afaik, in an aquarium should be pretty safe
>>
>>4041118
So make the drive after calling ahead to check stock. You only have to do it once. A leaking tank fucking sucks, a tank breaking sucks even more.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.