[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Metamorph.png (631 KB, 1280x691)
631 KB
631 KB PNG
Cladogram edition

RESOURCES:
https://speculativeevolution.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Tutorial
>One-stop shop for relevant background information for starting a project

http://planetfuraha.blogspot.com/
>Fantastic blog covering all sorts of spec evo topics in-depth

https://specevo.jcink.net/
>The Speculative Evolution forums, full of resources and ongoing projects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egzZv8tqT_k&list=PL6xPxnYMQpquNuaEffJzjGjMsr6VktCYl&ab_channel=Biblaridion [Embed]
>Part exobiology project, part spec evo tutorial, Biblaridion’s alien planet video series is informative and well-researched

RECOMMENDED PROJECTS:
https://pastebin.com/zhBbaNTB
>Link to a PDF of Wayne Barlowe’s “Expedition”, a seminal work of speculative evolution full of incredible paintings and illustrations

https://sites.google.com/site/worldofserina/
>Serina, the planet of the canaries

https://sunriseonilion.wordpress.com/
>Ilion, an illustrated tour of a tidally locked planet, really fantastic science in this project

http://www.cmkosemen.com/snaiad_web/snduterus.html
>Snaiad, life on an alien world

https://youtu.be/Rbi8Jgx1CNE [Embed]
>”The Future is Wild”, a CGI documentary following the evolution of life on Earth in the far future

https://pastebin.com/esdFrSEZ
>Dougal Dixon, arguably the father of speculative evolution. These are links to PDF’s of his books “After Man”, “The New Dinosaurs”, and “Man After Man”

https://www.deviantart.com/sanrou/gallery/56844005/anu
>Anu, a beautifully illustrated xenobiology project

http://www.planetfuraha.nl/
>Furaha, another alien world with very scientifically detailed creations
>>
Why are all spec evo games so limited? Why can't they focus on pure generation a la dwarf fortress or something so we can have actual adaptations instead of spore-esque funny haha monsters?
>>
>>4029648
Serina should have had a branch of Metamorphs that was actively Eusocial.
>>
>>4030225
So, ant birds and bee birds?
>>
File: Blibsunwantedkids.png (766 KB, 2580x1094)
766 KB
766 KB PNG
Why does Blib hate them?
>>
>>4030331
Some people, for one reason or another, begin hating their passions when they bring them success.
>>
>>4029676
Because that shit would have extremely niche appeal.
>>
>>4030331
imagine being famous over a thought experiment that went too far, thats probably how he feels
>>
>>4030398
Nonsense, if it was just slightly less opaque than DF then everybody on here would be using it, not to mention the reddit and youtube crowds.
>>
>>4030392
>>4030405
The best way to ruin your favorite hobby is to monetize it
>>
>>4030441
That's the mantra of soulless wagecucks who cab't compromise their passions with their livelihood. Imagine unironically getting upset being able to do what you love for a living... what a slave mindset. Sadly very common nowadays.
>>
>>4030447
The difference is that if you can make a few bucks off your hobby, like an aquarist who breeds fish does, then good for you, but if you expect to replace your day job with your hobby you will come to hate it very quickly.
As for Blib, it could be because you have an audience who puts pressure on you to regularly release updates. You want to satisfy them, overwork yourself to release content instead of working at your own pace, and start to hate your project that was originally just for fun.

You can see this in Serina with how uncreative it got in the last year or so. Sheather used to have cool crazy ideas when Serina first started but now that it's one of the most popular spec evo projects it just became the same boring narrative about the same boring sapient species.
>>
>>4030466
>you will come to hate it very quickly.
nah
>>
>>4029648
>Cladogram edition
Why are cladograms so rare in spec evo?
>>
>>4030316
Yep.
I'd put them closer to bees tho.
>>
/sci/ here. Has anyone done spec evo for Earth species artificially introduced to terraformed planets with different light/rotation/gravity/seasons/year length and then left to develop on their own?
>>
>>4030745
Possibly, but I'm not familiar with any. Sounds like a good project idea so long as you know what your goal was (say, how an entire ecosystem would adapt to the new environment vs a seed world with wonky rules. The former would be more novel, but most people would make the latter.)
>>
This is the kind of content we wanted. dare I say. ..based?
>>
https://sites.google.com/site/worldofserina/the-ultimocene-250-million-years/dreams
>Absolutely no one:
>The former Warmonger Matriarch, being eaten by a Sea Shoggoth: https://youtu.be/K1R4hHq8yr4?t=113
>>
File: sea robin.jpg (506 KB, 1203x1565)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
Are there specevo creature design styles beyond the pointless "art major biology" and the boring "blob on stilts" that mistakes its own uninspiredness as groundedness?
>>
>>4031162
Honestly I don't mind Sheather cutting this part short with a reasonably satisfying ending.

>>4031274
Few and far between. Someone in these threads put it best when they said (paraphrased) that spec evo is a fanon that makes everybody involved feel smart but actually attracts very stupid people due to its easy-to-access ground floor.
>>
File: explosion-run-away.gif (2.6 MB, 400x258)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB GIF
>Daydreamers in bone and shell armour
>Warmongers suffocating from paralytic poison
>The Matriarch getting eaten alive by a sea shoggoth

Absolutely based.
>>
>>4031274
Salpfish1 is the best current spec evo artist
>>
File: justfoundout.jpg (85 KB, 675x1200)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>4031756
looks retarded
>>
Are there other Earth organisms apart from mammals that produce lactose and lactase? I'm trying to figure something out
>>
>>4031843
I tried looking it up when you last mentioned it but I couldn't find any examples of it, I don't know. Sorry anon.
>>
>>4031843
Bacillus subtilis
>>
>>4031843
Only mammals as far as I can find.
>Because only mammary cells express the alpha-lactalbumin gene, only mammary cells are able to make lactose.
https://milkgenomics.org/article/milk-lactose-zebra/
>>4031850
That's a probiotic or whatever but it has nothing to do with lactose.
>>
>>4031849
>>4031850
>>4031864
Thanks bros
>>
>>4029648
Has anyone made some overly autistic project over ants yet, that is good I mean.
Not because I want to do one just because I like ants and think they are interesting.
>>
>>4032344
I've had an idea for modular ants.
>Largest main tractor-ant that houses up to 12 component ants on itself with velcro hairs and ridges
>various types of horned-ants that act like tools or weapons
>Chemical ants that either help feed or defend the convoy
>Queen is usually the 2nd largest and can control what type is born with secondary aspects being forced later by memetic ants
>Convoy usually travels between oases in a massive desert area and build shelter once it dries up to protect themselves during the day, and travel by night
>they are somewhat heat and sun proof, but can only naturally handle temps of up to 102 F before other tactics need to be taken
>>
>>4032357
there are apparently some species of spiders who make bigger decoys of themselves to fuck with predators.
>>
>>4031756
Where can i find more?
>>
File: 800px-Sturddlefish.png (1.21 MB, 800x1179)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB PNG
Are all those living fossil species doomed to extinction? Ones like ginkgos, paddlefish, bowfins, coelacanths, etc that only have a single living representative left on the planet.
Not sure if I should have them die off in my project or if they should somehow still survive and speciate a bit
>>
>>4032791
Most animal lineages with very little diversity die off within a few thousand to a few million years. People aren't making stuff up when they say we're in a mass extinction event - this is our last chance to preserve almost all megafauna on the planet. This has been happening before humans rose to dominance as well, but it really is true. Cervids, Suids, rodents, some caniforms, some feliforms, some mustelids, some birds, lepidosaurs, testudines, and "generic" fish, sharks, skates, and rays are more or less going to be the only things that survive 20 million years from now, basically, with only relict populations. You might have some specific groups live on depending on the disaster, like armadillos and possums adapting well to everything, or some relict crocodilians like the saltwater croc keep the lineage alive, and perhaps bats if insect biota doesn't take a massive hit. But that's basically it.
>>
Dissapeared man today, how do you think this would affect ecosystems?
Would any especies come into dominance and expantion?
Any other into declive?
>>
>>4032821
Interesting thought, I want to see the gigantic lobsters come back.
>>
>>4032791
Bowfins are based, not really in danger of extinction and they can survive low water quality
>>
>>
>>4032876
Cute
>>
>>4030392
>>4030405
I meant why is he doing nothing with these clades
>>
>>4033404
Because he's not actually interested in making a fully-realized spec evo world, his main goal was to illustrate how you might go about making one. That said, he's also on the uncreative side, so he probably just hasn't thought of anything to do with them yet.
>>
Is kaimere project any good in spec-evo terms ?
I find the idea of a planet periodic getting connect with earth and receiving waves of new species from here have much potential for projects
>>
>>4031843
Spiders and cockroaches make milkies
>>
>>4034030
It's all pretty reasonable and interesting and he blends spec evo in with narrative better than Serina does.
>>
>>4034030
It's a mosasaur, therefore based. Exceedingly based even.
>>
File: 1641900314870.png (988 KB, 4128x2090)
988 KB
988 KB PNG
>>
>>4032821
>Dissapeared man today, how do you think this would affect ecosystems?
Nuclear power plant meltdowns. Waste water leaking, overall chaos if it is instant. So basically a lot of life in populated areas would die but after a million years I bet the earth would be nice and diverse again
>>
>>4034033
Not lactose or lactase though.
>>
>>4034694
The power plants should be fine, Chernobyl happened because they were messing around before a safety test and Fukushima happened because of qn earthquake qnd flooding.
Without humans around trying to keep power generation working the shutdown systems would kick in.
>>
>>4032357
>velcro hairs and ridges
That seems like something that could legitimately evolve.
>>4032369
They could molt and carry around the old husk around, placing them around burrows.
>>
How important do you consider artwork to be for a spec evo project?

Like everyone else in this thread I have an idea for a project; I can do the writing and the science, but I am absolutely shit at drawing. I'm not even DA tier. Would a text only project be too dull, or would shitty art just turn you off entirely?
>>
>>4034819
Any time I've ever asked this the overwhelming answer has been "It's probably fine but most people will get bored." As long as you can scientifically describe the organisms though, I think it should be fine (like knowing how to describe anterior vs posterior, or different terms for different body parts, analogous, homologous, or novel they may be.)
>>
Fuck serina, get in on the thinking man's spec evo project
>>4034662
>>
>>4034847
t. "no your suggestion would have died anyway lol"
>>
>>4034819
What’s ur idea, I could draw some.
>>
>>4031274
>>
>>4035207
these things have always been based
>>
>>4035140
A seed world project that absolutely everyone will say is a knock off of Serina/Hamster's Paradise because of it. But it's mainly for fun and teaching people about evolution/critters I like, so I'm not too fussed about what critics think. I just want people to enjoy it (and maybe learn something too).
>>
>>4036029
what species?
>>
>>4035216
Wrong. They are brainwashed niggerlovers, just like their shitlib artist. He even made a drawing of them mentally manipulated by Jews to give stuff to blacks.

>>4035207
That falls under the "art major biology" category, just like every other critter Ries made up. He is a monster artist, not a biologist.
>>
>>4035207
Still a blob on stilts
>>
>>4035207
>>4035216
I love Birrin, though I recall he said that they use traumatic insemination, but later that there's sex for pleasure in their culture. Not sure how that would work.
>>
>>4036484
The birrin is being BLACKED cybernetically.
>>
>>4036132
>they use traumatic insemination, but later that there's sex for pleasure in their culture.
People try too hard to make alien species like us. You need to come up with aliens the same way you come up with a good story, make everything go wrong.
>>
>>4034819
>How important do you consider artwork
Very,
Even if its just sketches, visuals are important for spec-evo works.
Something to brake up the monotony of text helps.
>>
New Serina update
>The sequence of events that will ultimately lead to the end of the Mid-Ultimocene ice age, and with it wrap up the ocean age and lead to the end of the longest-lasting civilization upon Serina, fast approaches.
>It will begin with the actions of a single individual, and the repercussions of their actions will be felt around the world and for millions of years to come.

>the actions of a single individual
How?!?!?
Will an Ayy Lmao go to Serina, an accidentally nuke it?
>>
>>4036786
Fuck those faggot ass pelagans, burdles are based
>>
>>4036786
Clearly they will have an industrial society that will heat the world. Also
>The more water that freezes and is removed from the water cycle, the shallower the ocean becomes.
The ocean should raise higher with more ice in it...
>>
>>4036125
>>4031274
what do you consider not "featureless tubes" and "blobs on stilts"? post examples
>>
File: 1-12-21 tortornca.png (505 KB, 1280x811)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
>>4036786
RIP King
I would prefer, if spoilers were global thing on 4chan
>the actions of a single individual
Religious prophet, great leader or maybe clever inventor. Single individual here is not supposed to change the climate, but to bring an end to civilization in it's current shape. I wish there was proper timeline for "sapient species do stuff", right now it feels a bit jumpy.
>>4036822
Or maybe you're right and industrial revolution will heat the world, but earlier Sheater said that world never again will be like this warm Mid-Ultimocene period, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>4036830
>never again will be like this warm Mid-Ultimocene period, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Probably won't be a hothouse, but it could still prolong the life of the world if it raised 10 degrees.
>>
>>4036822
>The ocean should raise higher with more ice in it...
The water is getting trapped in ice on land, not the ocean. Ice caps and such
>>
>>4036830
What a god awful Latin name
>>
File: after-a-drilling-accid.jpg (87 KB, 1024x495)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>4036786
>>4036822
I think the gravediggers are about to discover fossil fuel.

>Early entry mentions the Cryocene temperature drop was caused by the extensive vegetation of earlier eras being a buried carbon sink
>That vegetation is most definitely coal by now
>Falling sea level has exposed new land
>Only burnable fuel available is sea grass that has to be harvested and dried before use

So if the upcoming climate change started with an individual (rather than a natural force), I'd put money on the following scenario happening:

>Gravedigger explores new island
>Finds weird black rock
>Accidentally discovers it burns well
>News spread about this burning rock that's a great fuel
>Everyone starts looking for it
>Gravedigger society becomes more land-bound as mining industries crop up
>Grow apart from daydreamers as they are unable to do anything regarding coal
>Pollution puts a strain on relationship
>Incidents like pic related happen
>Rising temps cause methane burps
>Runaway greenhouse effect triggers
>Ice caps melt, salinity drops, land is drowned
>Gravediggers and daydreamers probably won't survive
>>
File: anatomy is hard.jpg (67 KB, 720x778)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>4036054
Rats. I keep them as pets, they're lovely creatures, and they have so many biological quirks they're full of evolutionary potential. Here's a doodle of me brainstorming how the jaws of an early predator would work; rats kill their prey by biting the back of the neck, plus they can separate their lower jaws and move them independently, so I was trying to figure out how using stiletto blade teeth would work. Top? Bottom? Both? It's fun to work out, even if I can't draw for shit.
>>
>>4036966
You might want to look at dougal dixon’s after man, derived rats make up a big part of that work
>>
>>4036966
>plus they can separate their lower jaws and move them independently
Where can I read more about this? Sounds interesting
>>
File: D11UHTX.jpg (878 KB, 4997x4321)
878 KB
878 KB JPG
so when does this big ugly cunt show up
>>
Creating a Project about a Planet seeded by Pacific Northwest Flora, Fungi, Slime Moulds and Insect Life. Some of the Flora (A Mycoheterotroph) loses it's Cell Walls and becomes a predatory Pseudoanimal preying on Mycovermes after a few hundred million years, yet is still pollinated by select Neoinsecta.
>>
>>4037636
no vertebrates Eh?
>>
>>4037654
No. None whatsoever. But the Pseudanimals do have internal skeletons made of cellulose. They're like Plents of Sagan 4 except weirder and are full Heterotrophs.
>>
File: Floracephalus sophons.jpg (874 KB, 2592x1936)
874 KB
874 KB JPG
>>4037658
>>
>>4030745

Tzinacantlan but its beyond incomplete: https://sites.google.com/view/tzinaka/p%C3%A1gina-inicial
>>
>>4031843

Flamingos and pigeots
>>
>>4032791

Depends. Ginkgos are genuinely panda level retarded but the fish examples have been going on with reasonable diversity and adaptability.
>>
>>4037769
Anon said lactose, not fake milk.
>>
>>4036830
what is with serina and introducing new animals and then just killing them? i dont give a fuck about the homosexual baby killing commie palageans but the Tortornca is awesome but now they have to die and their death is also linked with gay commies who should have knew that being gay abortionist will kill you bloodline
>>
>>4037616
hopefully never because i am tired of fake mammals that somehow being a tripod is better than the birds who had a headstart for an eon
>>
>>4037783
1. Some faggy "life is fleeting and short so make the most of every moment also God isn't real but if he was he would be a gay-sex loving alien" message.
2. Sh*ather hates his best animals. See the bludgebirds, the varpikes, the tundra gravedigger, and of course the tortornca.
>>
>>4037949

The tundra gravediggers are actually still around according to his dA comments. Might even fuck shit up.
>>
>>4036830
>>4036786
>>4036945
>MUH INDUSTRIALIZATION BAAAAAD

seriously is Sheather such a hack that he can't even write Serena becoming a frozen ball in space and has to go "civilization bad" for a twist that causes the most overuses theme is pro ecology stories?
>>
>>4038104
Dougal Dixon already did this with Greenworld.
>>
>>4038147
>mfw still no english translation
>>
>>4038148
Japan showing up the rest of the world again. I'm doing a project called Dlhööghüny (Person Country) which is what the Sapient Heterotrophic Plants call their Global State.
>>
>>4038164
IPA Tɬʰøːɣyɲ.
>>
>>4037952
I doubt they will live for long given how the ice is pushing animals south
>>
>>4037949
I actually enjoy serina but it may be once enjoyed if this goes on
>>
>>4030745
Love this idea.

I wonder what would be the first type of animals introduced in a new terraformed planet. Perhaps insects and birds, so we could study the effects of low gravity in flight?
>>
>>4038210
Technically serenia fall under that which is why arcangels existed
>>
>>4038246
the anon you're talking to is a known autist. He's harmless, but just look out for him so you don't get upset.
>>
File: q7jom4rn5i431.png (52 KB, 594x582)
52 KB
52 KB PNG
>Hey guys, Posthuman descendent Homo Peternis here, off to explain the context! So anyways, sheather888 joined this fossil forum known as spacebattles yesterday, trying to discuss his project with the people there. Of course, a user known as Thursedov has some nitpick’s about the Three legged terrestrial fish, because such a thing is obviously implausible (ignoring that weirder creatures exist in real life, like the PLATYPUS!) despite having never read Serina in ages, as he said! He also mocks his storytelling, stating about how he should “show, not tell,” and how his story is too bleak, despite not reading it at all recently!

>Anyways, after driving sheather away with his constant nitpicking and his lack of behavioral adaption of accepting that tripedal animals could exist, he proceeds to double down and state how it was okay to drive him away, because he “gave the tripedal fish plot armor.” and also how he is overly sensitive and can‘t handle criticism. This has been Homo Peternis describing the context.
>>
>>4038536
Is that a real post on reddit? I want to believe otherwise.
>>
>>4038536
yeah who are you quoting
>>
>>4038536
>he gave the tripedal fish plot armor.
This is an unironically objective and unbiased thing to say.
>>
>>4038803
Dlhöögh for ants
>>
File: IMG_0498.jpg (1.1 MB, 2592x1936)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>4038805
>>
>>4038813
*Dlhöögh for australians
>>
File: IMG_0499.jpg (968 KB, 2592x1936)
968 KB
968 KB JPG
>>4038813
There, at last.
>>
>>4038820
See >>4038821
>>
File: teeth.png (508 KB, 636x852)
508 KB
508 KB PNG
>>4037055
Already owned, fren.

>>4037114
Basically the two halves of their lower jaw aren't fused, meaning they can move both sides (an by extent their teeth) independently. Usually this helps them grasp, manipulate and chew things, but in a fight/hunt they will angle their incisors to have the bite inflict more damage. This is what gives rat bites their characteristic 'V' shape. Not my pic, but you can see the gap between the two bottom incisors here. Rats can widen or narrow this, and even move one more forward than the other.
>>
>>4039003
Rats with pedipalps when
>>
>>4029648
Seems like the tundra gravediggers are the next baddie so yeah fuck me since i liked them
>>
>>4039596
It's okay, they're gonna win.
>>
>>4036119
Silence chud
>>
>>4040443
Schizo
>>
>Bred for their bones, skin, and oil
>Bigger than a Blue Whale
>>
>>4040786
yo that's fucking gay and pretencious

can't wait for slow-sad-singer-that swims-in-the morning that-likes-to-put-gravediggers-in-it' -ass
>>
>>4040786
I mean, makes sense. Buoyancy of water lets creatures reach much bigger sizes than on land, and humans keep livestock much larger than they are. Livestock tends to be larger, fatter and more docile than their wild ancestors, so meattube whale seems logical.
>>
>>4040786
Yeah, I unironically like this one, I've been hoping for new domesticated animals for a while now. I hope they saved the mourner-in-the-mist.
>>
>>4041332
doesn't sound like a domesticated animal, it says it's some type of semi-domesticated wildlife hunted for food and sport, But a thing that big could probably feed big villages of the weird mole bird things, maybe a city depending on the definition. for the weird pseudo seal penguins that'd be less, much less.
>>
>>4041344
also, how does an intelligent society not develop states and bureaucracy for millennia? Shit might be getting worse but there's definitely still room for them to go further than coastal villages and clans. Especially with new gigantic livestock and shit.
>>
>>4036966
Weasels laugh and buy popcorn.
>>
>>4041344
I think it says pretty much the entire local ecosystem and all large fauna are “domesticated” essentially (all processes are regulated by the sentient races)
>>
>>4038475
I've made cringy art for these threads but my contribution to them has been minimal. You're most likely mistaking me for another guy.
>>
>>4041344
If a sapient organism modifies another organism is it by definition domestication. Just like the theory that cats domesticated themselves by appearing in cities.

>>4041360
>also, how does an intelligent society not develop states and bureaucracy for millennia?
Abos. Also, Sheather is a hack. I just like this one. He should have narrowed it down to something like 300,000 years instead of the now "millions"
>>
>>4041511
Yeah, I wasn't actually certain. I thought it would be funny to say anyway :)
>>
>>4041514
>He should have narrowed it down to something like 300,000 years instead of the now "millions"
This
>>
>>4032791
it depends on how succesfull they are. Coelocants with 2 specialsit deep water species, or Ginkos (before human intervention) with 1 species reduced to a very smal refuge are doomed to extinction. While Sturgeon or crocodiles with a generalist live style and large population in a wide area are surviving for a good reason.
>>
>>4040559
That too, often seems to be a common condition with chuds, in fact.
>>
>>4041514
Abbos are a special case in my opinion, plus the autistic badger ripoffs are a global civilization with actual villages and methods of actual food production beyond fire stick farming, fish traps, and yams if you are lucky.
Not 300,000 fellas in a fucking desert I mean.
>>
>>4040786
Hey is the "Gravediggers of the Late Ocean Age" just the same old Thalassic artwork or is it something new?
>>
>>4041332
> I hope they saved the mourner-in-the-mist
anon i am sorry to say but
https://sites.google.com/site/worldofserina/the-ultimocene-250-million-years/littoral-nightbiter
>>
>>4041360
States and bureaucracy only exist when a large population is settled in a limited area. So along a trade route, a fertile river bank etc. When that happens you need nationhood (to give a common identity to suppress fighting) and laws (so people can successfully live together). If you're a nomadic hunter gatherer your population isn't high enough to warrant city sized permanent settlements, so statehood isn't much needed.

Geography also plays a big part. Places like Africa you have the same terrain spanning unbroken for hundreds of miles, so if your neighbours are being dicks you don't need to fight for resources, you just up and move. In Europe the terrain is more broken up and restricted, so if your neighbours want your farmland/river crossing/mountain pass you need to fight to keep it, as you have nowhere else to go. This encourages permanent fortified settlements and thus statehood.

Tl;dr Hunter gather lifestyle and geography means it's not worth it.
>>
>>4042078
I think it's ambiguous. Is he really canonizing that this society is over 5 million years old? Did he mean ALL like he has said in the past but mean all but one like he says in the MitM page? It's also not like he couldn't change it. But, whatever.
>>
sheather split gravediggers into 3 species
>"good guy" seapeople
>subpeople savages
>rape babies of subpeople savages
why is he so racist bros, tundra gravediggas dindu nuffin
>>
>>
>>4043166
>>
>>4043116
>>4043166
I love the design of the Savage, but I don't think it was necessary to strip them of their intelligence. Sh*ather himself wrote that the Tundra locality was no less intelligent than the Southern type species, only more nomadic and more "hands on" in regards to dispatching prey. If caloric supply is really that low in the far north, just have the Savage live at the lowest population density of the genus, which it likely already does due to its mass. And what of the Carnackle? Is that yet another plot point that's going to be abandoned in favor of gay whales? This development feels almost as contrived as "The Babbling Jay went completely extinct because a moderate increase in annual rainfall brought deadly pathogens."
Shaking my head, to be quite honest.
>>
>>4043191
Yeah I want to know about the carnackles. You just know someone is going to commision some lore of a pillaging scene
>>
>>4043191
>>4043200
inb4 carnackles become sapient
>>
>>4043191
Anon, you constantly shit up this thread complaining about Serina. Why the fuck are you still reading it if you hate it that much? Go find a project you like and gush about that, there's countless other ones you can become obsessed with. Find a good one and share it with the rest of the class instead of screeching about ones you hate.
>>
>The sea shoggoths have unintentionally been bred to become smarter

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but with a billion hideous clicks
>>
File: 1576233382585.png (242 KB, 577x474)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
>>4043426
>Lest the contract be terminated
Yes, this is going to end baldy for the Serina civilization.
>>
>>4043426
>>4043488
A part of me expects anything new to ruin shit now
>>
>>4042430
They are dead anon
>>
>>4043421
>Anon, you constantly shit up this thread complaining about Serina. Why the fuck are you still reading it if you hate it that much? Go find a project you like and gush about that, there's countless other ones you can become obsessed with. Find a good one and share it with the rest of the class instead of screeching about ones you hate.
>>
>>4036786
>It will begin with the actions of a single individual, and the repercussions of their actions will be felt around the world and for millions of years to come
Jesus Christ, obviously.
>>
>>4040967
>pretencious
Dumb ESL ape.
>>
File: EzSdlWyUUAUMh-j.jpg (10 KB, 250x250)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>2022
>Shitrina is still the only thing being discussed in this dumb general
>>
>>4043862
yeah all spec evo projects are super slow
>>
>>4041514
>>4041857

Wrong on both accounts

Aboriginal Australians developed complex societies revolving around moeties/skin groups and developed several means of agriculture, up to essentially turning the whole continent into a well maintained garden.

You know, kind of like some place with canaries...
>>
>>4043875
Nobody is falling for that anon
>>
File: 2f7.jpg (31 KB, 601x508)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>4043785
>N-no u!
>>
>>4029648
I have a very autistic idea, that being, you know how venus fly traps have proto memory and muscles and shit., right? what if eventually there was a species that evolved some type of armlike contraptions to capture small rodent-like creatures. An even more cursed idea is plants with something akin to eyes. for pray capture purposes too.
>>
>>4045001
I forgot to ask, is it retarded or not?
>>
>>4045001
They wouldn't arbitrarily move towards arm-like structures, it would more likely be that it would flatter to the ground and reinforce itself and become a living beartrap. Eye structures are entirely reasonable.
>>
>>4043862
Unironically why do people care about this shit again? it stopped being spec evo and just turned into some gay furry fanfiction
>>
>>4043968

You can read research like Dark Emu and Gammage's papers to confer, cunt
>>
>>4045001

Eyes require nervous sytems to be of use.
>>
>>4045070
don't venus fly traps already have the very early foundations of one? Or am I misunderstanding?
>>
>>4045007
I am thinking of what the eyes could be compounded with because they'd have a reason to exist.
>>
>>4045083
Nervous systems? Venus flytraps have a set of trigger hairs that automatically cause the two lobes to snap shut once they’re disturbed
>>
Somebody give me something to draw, I really need to practice my art
>>
>>4045475
A TRAPPIST-1d sophont
>>
>>4045001
Pitcher plant that has the odor of peanutbutter and catches mice.
>>
>>4036119
rent free
>>
>>4045475
Quadrepedal dromaesuar,
>>
>>4040443
>>4041854
>>4045655
Samefag
>>
>>4045475
Realistic Tuskens, Ewoks, Wookiees, or Tw'ileks. Surprised to have never seen fun spec takes on Star wars xenos.
>>
>>4045475
A horse but it evolved from a wombat.
>>
>>4045660
Hard for me to envision a situation where they would go quadrupedal..
>>
>>4045475
Marsupial human
>>
File: freddyfazbear.gif (607 KB, 220x220)
607 KB
607 KB GIF
>normal spec evo project
>but with robotic organisms
Thoughts?
>>
>>4045475
Aquatic pterosaur
>>
Finally made a start on my own spec project. Fuck me I can see why so many people give up after just a few entries, the amount of work you need just to get things off the ground is insane. Feels like I've put hours in yet barely scratched the surface.

I'll share with the class once I've got a decent amount done.
>>
>>4046038
How do they reproduce and evolve if they're robots? Or are they being produced by some AI trying to optimize them for some specific task like resource gathering?
>>
What are the major barriers to colonial organisms evolving to fill the niche of complex animals?
>>
>>4045475

A terrestrial dolphin/fish where the leg acting as a third leg actually looks like a tail.
>>
>>4046038
I've played around with the idea before, you would basically just have to explain how EVERYTHING works. Other than that, could be based.
>>
HOLY FUCK!
>>
File: E8wtF6TXsAIhNEZ.jpg (633 KB, 1344x2048)
633 KB
633 KB JPG
>>4046684
hehe forgot pic
>>
File: Humanity Lost Scavangers.jpg (743 KB, 2048x2048)
743 KB
743 KB JPG
>Biological Strandbeests that use the wind to travel across the equator of a desert planet in a binary star system in order to scavenge for food and water
Metal as fuck.
>>
File: EFOFZG-XsAAIAQB.jpg (1.03 MB, 2048x2048)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
Goddamn, look at these designs. Feels so much like Prophet, but more on Barlowe's level.
>>
>>4046685
>>4046800
>>4046806
kino
>>
New Isla Project video! This time is about parasitism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pad63awt_dI
>>
>>4047169
>those worm-transmitting blow dart assholes are all over the planet
Dear god hell world
>>
>>4047169
Breddy nice.
>>
I had an amusing hypothetical scenario pop into my head recently: imagine a sapient alien race whose males use colorful, elaborate display structures to attract females, images of such displays would probably serve as of softcore porn for females in that species, but to humans it would just be "wow, cool colors!". So you'd have a whole bunch of humans displaying art and pictures all over their homes and businesses depicting what is basically the alien equivalent of a dude jacking off while flexing.
>>
Why has sheather become the magnum opus of spec evo? I see dozens of retards commissioning him and it's laughable how little effort he puts into drawings that he's paid to make
>>
>>4047745
>magnum opus
an artist's most popular work is rarely their magnum opus.
>>
>>4047559
kek
>>
File: Untitled.png (41 KB, 883x710)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
Give me some recommendations on what to draw
>>
>>4048025
A species of porcupine that's grown to nearly the size of a rhino, and is using it's hollow, now thick, spikes like armor (hollow to be light weight, even broken spikes are dangerous by how it breaks off, so still can hurt a would be predator). Still omnivorous, so like a bear with spikes.
>>
>>4048025
Cthulhu, but alien, and not some stupid furrybait of a sexy winged kaiju mindflayer.
>>
>>4037616
How the fuck would something like this evolve?
>>
File: E69saKwXoAw6giJ.jpg (929 KB, 2048x1563)
929 KB
929 KB JPG
>>4046685
>>4046800
>>4046806
Looks based
>>
File: FIWIkPkXEAEndjG.jpg (951 KB, 2048x1563)
951 KB
951 KB JPG
Next Big thing?
>>
>>4048448
Can you read it anywhere or something?
>>
>>4048468
patreon
>>
>egg retention in birds
Likely impossible, there was a lot written about this in the 80s.
>>
>>4046685
>>4046800
>>4046806
>>4048448
>>4048452
This stuff looks gorgeous.
>>
>>4048580
oh and uh can we get a link to it? When I search "humanity lost" I get a bunch of other unrelated shows and books.
>>
>>4045475

"Flyders"

Flying arachnids evolved from jumping spiders that modified 2 of their 8 legs into a pair of wings.
>>
>>4048581
It's by Callum Stephen Diggle https://.twitter.com/callumdiggle
>>
File: shrew clam parasite.png (598 KB, 2137x1349)
598 KB
598 KB PNG
>>
>>4047765
His older project was actually more kino if unscientific

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.