[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Malpolon Insignitus.jpg (322 KB, 1280x853)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
2022 edition

This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

>>4011608
>>
File: 1631583388024.jpg (279 KB, 937x1585)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
wholesome
>>
>>4023849
Are birds reptiles ?
>>
>>4023867
No.
>>
>>4023849
Owned reptiles for many years. Got rid of them cuz I was nervous I was
Going to have to travel for work. It’s still a possibility. Is there a certain reptile that can survive unsupervised for weeks on end? Like obviously snakes can go long without food but water / cleanliness is the issue. Any bio active frog setups or something that would be good for someone like me..? Thanks anons
>>
>>4023913
I go on travel with snakes at home. They're fine to leave a week without maintenance. If you need to go longer than a week I would have someone come in to change their water.
>>
>>4023913
Snakes only really. Even then they need a checkup and water like the previous anon said.
>>
File: 20220101_160637_001.jpg (3.23 MB, 4608x3456)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB JPG
>>
>>4024085
He smug
>>
>>4023852
And people say Tokay's are aggressive.
>>
>>4023849
I am building a big assed cage. 25'x50'x10'. Obviously this will be outside and anything that I put in there would need to be able to handle the brief winters that we get. My weather is 8a planting zone so on par with central florida. This cage will be screened in with the ability to throw up some panels to block severe weather but it will not be insulated. But, Id build heated/insulated hide boxes for animals that would use them.

Im looking for suggestions for herps that brumate and have similar winters in their natural range. So far im considering a colony of beardies along with anoles, but beardies are cool and all but I feel like for such a big cage I should try to find something more interesting. Looking for suggestions. My only criteria is that they brumate.
>>
>>4024166
Forgot to clarify: I am actually doing this. I have a carport that I am converting into this cage, so its actually already half built I just need to build a frame and screen it in.
>>
>>4024166
How humid does it get usually?
>>
>>4023913
I once had a vivarium that needed almost zero work ever. It was a 72 gallon bowfront with a cuban knight anole it in. I built a false bottom with eggcrate that kept a 1" gap between the tank floor and the bottom layer of gravel then I layered various sized river rocks and used more egg crate to make a couple of planters. The crucial part was a 3" length of pvc that went through the false bottom and went up to the top of the tank. I disguised it as a tree. This pvc ensured that all water draining through the false bottom evaporated. Then I through some good soil and coconut fiber in the planters and put some pothos plants in (cuz you gotta try to kill them) covered the substrate gravel with a mix of coconut fiber (little), spagnum moss(lots) and a few dead leaves. Then I threw in a fuckton of copepods.

Hooked a mister up to it and the entire tank was automated. Only maintenance ever needed was throwing some bugs in to feed the cuban knight anole. I would throw enough in that most would be able to hide. Earthworms and crickets mostly. When the lizard ate all the crickets he would start hunting the worms and would move the gravel around til he found them. I only needed to add bugs and water to the mister once ever month.
>>
>>4024170
The climate here is pretty close to being exactly the same as central florida. Humidity is about the same. The only difference is the winter. Usually its mild but every now and then it will get fucking cold here for a day or two.
>>
>>4024182
Well Dragons don't do well in constant 40+ humidity.
>>
>>4024182
Oh also, summer gets hotter here. All of august its hitting 110 at least.
>>
>>4024183
Hadnt considered that. The whole year average for humidity here is 67% with the lowest monthly average being 57%. Sheeit, I was sure theyd do well here.
>>
>>4024189
You would run into lots of health issues with humidity like that. Go with anoles desu. I would do Giant Day Gecko colony desu.
>>
>>4024193
Shame its too cold for knight anoles that would be sick
>>
>>4024196
Or fill it with a shitload of corn snakes.
>>
>>4024189
rock agamas do pretty well in florida (a little too well apparently), if you can find a source for them you'd get the form factor and size of beardies with a more interesting appearance.
>>
>>4024210
forgot pic
>>
>>4024212
Eastern Dragons mog them. Too bad they are unobtainable.
>>
I might try and breed black soldier flies. I got some to try and they're kind of neat. Flies might be better than an autistic moth. If it doesn't work out I'll probably do banded crickets.
>>
me cornie girl 4yo old have had her about 2 months
eyes normal

skin on her bottom side used to be like white+black now its sorta cloudy where it was black. Shedding? if yes should i already leave her alone
seems more calm than usual during handling but still exploring
>>
>>4023867
In a sense yes but not really. They’re archosaurs like crocodilians are but they so divergent that it’s erroneous to call avians reptiles.
>>
>>4024210
Yea ive seen them. Fucking wierd seeing those things all over houses. But, they stay to south florida. Furthest north ive seen them was palm beach. Much closer to tropics than central florida weather. Crazy what 100 mile difference can do.
>>
>>4024830
>getting an animal before doing the most basic bitch research
Git gud
>>
>>4024947
>Git gud
what does it mean?
>>
>>4023867
In taxonomy, yes. In practice, no.
>>
>>4024210
They eat the brown anoles around my house and can be seen hanging out in parking lots basking
>>
>>4024950
Anon is saying you bought a snake without knowing anything about snakes.

If the black is dulling out and especially if the eyes are milky blue then the snake is getting ready to shed. In which case it is best to leave it be as not being able to see and then been handled will stress the snake out. Once they clear up it’ll shed and be ready to go, corns are excellent as ambient humidity is more than enough for a clean shed.
>>
>>4024166
Chinese box turtles and Honduran spiny-tailed iguanas.
>>
File: 20210903_211901.jpg (2.62 MB, 3096x4128)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
toad
>>
>>4025245
nice
>>
File: FIAo3jDUUAI_uMJ.jpg (60 KB, 960x608)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>
>>4023867
Birds are just birds.
Reptiles are recent reptilia excluding birds.

>>4025125
Idiot.
>>
>>4025145
ok git gud guy wasnt me but thank u
i did the research knew it was supposed to get duller colors but all pictures are about the top skin not the bottom so i was confirming that this is what its about since the eyes were normal
thanku for the help bro
>>
>>4025336
You can't make a clade that includes crocodilians but excludes birds. So the real question is whether reptile describes a clade.
>>
>>4025721
Its outdated just like your moms pussy
>>
>>4025721
>So the real question is whether reptile describes a clade.
obviously not. its a paraphyletic group
>>
File: download (3).jfif.jpg (126 KB, 720x839)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
GIB ONE NOW
>>
File: IMG_20220103_195454.jpg (2.32 MB, 2648x3098)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
I rebuilt my first terrarium because I didn't like the expanding foam+silicon+peat background.
I now glued on cork bark and filled the cracks with live moss from my backyard. I would like to put in lepidodactylus lugubris if I can find a place that sells them here in europe
>>
>>4026084
No Dailymotion was being gay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWPI74nVy0
>>
>>4025966
Do dart frogs.
>>
>>
>>4026158
aren't dart frogs much harder to keep?
>>
>>4025966
terraristik.com has quite a lot of recent offers from German breeders, though none of them seem willing to ship with the current temepratures, and the latest one only ships if you buy at least 10 juveniles.
>>
>>4026209
thank you for the link I'll check it out. I'm not in a hurry to buy so I can wait till spring. I wonder if they ship internationally since I'm in Italy
>>
Just bought 5 animal plastics cages, can't wait to see them in 9 months
>>
>>4026202
No. Their food can be hard though.
>>
>>4026202
idk. I just think their neat. Get red and yellow.
>>
File: IMG_20220104_111153.jpg (1.37 MB, 3496x1934)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
Just caught this guy. What should I do?
>>
>>4026377
I recommend cramming it up your ass
>>
>>4026304
fruit flies? don't you basically just give a starter culture some banana and a bit of beer and let them at it?
>>
will any cheap ass lights for a bioactive vivarium be okay or do I have to choose some special ones? (I will be getting an animal that does not need UVB)
>>
>>4026443
As long as they are rated for plants it should work. Plants require blue white and red spectrums I believe.
>>
>>4026377
release where you found. if you found him inside your house you can release outside.
>>
>>4026249
I remain baffled why the big pet equipment suppliers don't dip a toe in to the PVC tank market. If places like AP have such a massive backlog there is clearly sufficient demand.
>>
>>4026486
For real. More smaller name stuff has popped up over the years in competition but the prices are outrageous. There's got to be a reason Im sure.
>>
>>4026304
I think I'd probably kill them. If you forget to mist geckos for a day they are ok, I imagine frogs would die
>>
>>4023852
>locked in vicious combat
Look how much he wants to save his friend guys
>>
>>4024218
By far the most based Pogona
>>
>>4026377
Eat it
>>
>>4026662
It’s called a joke
>>
Can Tortoise and Snail coexist? I want to put some in my tort box
>>
I mistook a stomach bacterial infection for brumation.. My bearded dragon stopped eating which I thought was normal, no weight loss for two months, didn't want food, lazy, then rapid weight loss during December and apparently blood poisoning due to infections. Was too late to catch what was happening and I blame myself badly for waiting for the appointed vet time instead of requesting antibiotics urgently or a vet check earlier. Learned that brumation = check if it's something else or something more (cause they can happen at the same time and be deadly). She was euthanized today as the vet said her insides were in very bad shape and she found the blood poisoning (from her stomach). She was 3,5 years and I feel like a total idiot as I find text on the net to be careful of "false brumations(parasites, infections etc") ..

I really messed up not realizing it was bad as she started losing weight early December, and even earlier for not eating barely anything at irregular times, but mid December to Christmas she just shrunk everywhere, and it was probably too late by then. Should have booked a vet for early Dec somehow but sweden lacks rep veterinarians and I didn't realize the severity, but I was there at Christmas eve however the vet was a dog girl so she knew nothing.. I failed my little dragon so bad, someone might learn from my fuckup or call me a retard. Think she ate something bad months ago or my terrarium was dirty, disinfected too rarely in hindsight. May she rest in peace
>>
>>4027369
Good judgement comes from experience, which comes from bad judgement. You did what you thought was best for the situation as hand when you were in it, and there was nothing you could have done otherwise in that moment. I'm not telling you to not feel bad, because you're going to feel bad regardless, but take it as a lesson, albeit a harsh one.
>>
File: repti.png (1.6 MB, 1164x957)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
Yeah, I dont fucking know.
There's a belief that inspiration comes from an outside source, and I dont know if I believe that, but if it means I can blame something other than myself for this, I'll take it.
>>
>>4027400
On that subject, has anyone had good luck feeding these to SNAKES? I want to vary my boas diet a bit but I'm not convinced she'll take these.
>>
>>4027486
boas being boas I'd expect you wouldn't have much of a problem, but maybe rub one of the usual prey items on it first, and/or perforate the casing so the aforementioned sneg can can smell the meat
>>
File: ttk87yklbeq41.jpg (220 KB, 2048x1024)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
>>4023849
I wish you could just shed your skin and wear it as pajams.
>>
>>4027369
I know how you feel. I still feel guilty as hell for the first leopard gecko I had as a kid with zero clue on how to care for it and it died after 2 years and a half.
>>
File: 1613325254878.jpg (171 KB, 720x695)
171 KB
171 KB JPG
>>4027978
Feels bad man.
>>
File: wyvern.jpg (29 KB, 474x367)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
'Sup you bunch of scalies.
I was wondering, what do reptiles do in cold winter, and how do they handle really cold environments (i.e. snow and ice) being cold-blooded? Like, how does a comodo dragon handle cold?

I was recently thinking about wyverns and other mythical large reptiles, and how to best represent them in the cold; I assume they'd have similar adaptive behavior to mundane reptiles.
>>
>>4028533
>>4028536
>'Sup you bunch of scalies.
>scalies
Nah we don't want to fuck lizard people.

>what do reptiles do in cold winter, and how do they handle really cold environments
They simply go into brumation which is the reptile equivalent of mammal hibernation. They just go to sleep or become much less active in order to conserve as much energy as possible until it's warm again. In places where ice or snow forms they will find an old burrow or dig one. Just a few feet below ground is enough to be safe from freezing as temps underground change much more slowly.
>Like, how does a comodo dragon handle cold?
Considering where Komodo's live it's doubtful they ever experience a major temperature change to warrant hibernating.

>I was recently thinking about wyverns and other mythical large reptiles, and how to best represent them in the cold
I mean they're mythical with supernatural abilities. Maybe the living in a cave trope is a decent conclusion as caves keep fairly stable internal temperatures year round.
>>
>>4028536
>what do reptiles do in cold winter, and how do they handle really cold environments (i.e. snow and ice) being cold-blooded?
Brumate. They burrow somewhere warm enough to keep them from freezing solid.
>Like, how does a comodo dragon handle cold?
Very poorly.
>>
>>4027519
ok but you have to eat the hoodie to recycle the NUTRIENTS
>>
>>4028551
>>4028548
>Brumate
Wasn't familiar with that word, thanks! I assumed they do their equivalent of hibernation or torpor.
>I mean they're mythical with supernatural abilities
Do we know of *any* real reptiles that do not brumate? I'm curious what mechanisms could keep a cold-blooded creature active in extreme cold. Obviously if they do not regulate their own temperature they'll need some way of gaining enough heat throughout the day to keep active and healthy.
>>
>>4028557
>I'm curious what mechanisms could keep a cold-blooded creature active in extreme cold
I've heard that black headed pythons will stick just their head out of their burrow to warm up, which is why they have that dark color on just their head area. If you're talking fantasy, you could come up with some solar energy collection method that gives them energy enough for a bit, but needs to be recharged ofc
>>
File: 675684.jpg (37 KB, 677x508)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>
>>4028551
different anon but do all reptiles need to brumate provided their native habitat isnt that cold during winter, and if so is it healthy to keep them from brumating by keeping their enclosures warm during winter?
>>
>>4028612
>but do all reptiles need to brumate
There's probably some big debate about this, but no. Brumating isn't even necessary for animals that normally would, like North American herps, if you aren't going to breed them.
>>
File: 1612035026076.png (249 KB, 484x569)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
>>4028605
>>
>>4027400
>blending a rat and shoving it into a sausage casing
This seems like unnecessary work when you can just buy a rat and the snake will eat it on basic instinct
>>
>>4028557
Reptiles don't really exist in extreme cold environments and a rare example is a frog that produces an enzyme to survive being literally frozen.
>>
>>4028536
Komodo dragons don’t really get too cold in the wild, but lace monitors which are their closest relatives hole up somewhere and sleep tightly curled up
>>
>>4028614
there are apparently health benefits to doing so, apparently, including increasing overall lifespan by 30% in some cases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95EGPNGuZ4Q
yes it's long. take your brain medicine.
>>
>>4028557
>Do we know of *any* real reptiles that do not brumate?
Most equatorial species don't, because they dont have to, because the temperature at the equator is more or less the same year round.
Note that there's also Estivation, (from the latin aestas, for summer), which is a dormant period some animals (mostly amphibians) go dormant when it gets too hot and or dry.
>>
>>4028630
very true, but it seems like most of their links are made for other animals (that may be picky eaters), or are otherwise made of more exotic/harder to regularly acquire prey items.
>>
>>4028694
I mean it could be for variety sake because god knows animals only eat one type of animal
>>
File: 1631936072328.png (483 KB, 1141x520)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
>>
>>4028700
probably just easier to feed too - I assume a snake will more readily be able to handle a tube of meat that a whole-ass quail.
there might be something to say about ease of digestion, or even maybe bio-availability of the nutrients if it's a whole prey item that's been mechanically broken down and mixed together.
that, and I assume the iguana links are a godsend to people that keep reptile-eaters.
There's also the scenting juices, which seem insanely expensive and also maybe more of a wasted step than the sausages - if you're at the point where you have to bathe your prey item in the juices of another prey item to get your animal to eat it, maybe they shouldn't be eating it.
>>
>>4028630
>>4028694
>>4028700
>>4028716
From now on before I eat I will blend my food and put it in a sausage casing. Yes even in public.
>>
>>4028716
Repashy makes a black soldier fly based gel thing. Comes in a powder, mix with boiling water and let set in the fridge like jello. I was able to get my pictus geckos to eat it by sprinkling calcium powder on top and putting a few mealworms in the same bowl. They'd go for the mealworms and wind up grabbing the gel pieces as well. This turned out to be necessary as those two geckos were ridiculously fussy about feeder insects. They liked mealworms and a highly specific size of cricket, no bigger or smaller acceptable.
>>
>>4023849
How to find a Beardie with a great personality? Breeders?
>>
>>4023849
Simon Curtis found a free tree frog with his romaine lettuce salad, it's a cute story with cute pictures:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10371695/Simon-Curtis-finds-TREE-FROG-living-lettuce-keeps-pet.html
>>
>>4028912
Breeders, expo, and if you have a reputable reptile specific shop in your area that a possibility as well. Reptile specific, mind you. Not pet shop what has reptile section.
>>
>>4028716
>probably just easier to feed too
probably not? once the sausage breaks open it'll spill everywhere.
i really don't understand the point for snakes. you can feed whole prey of the appropriate size for cheaper and it'll be much easier to get the snake to eat it, too.
>>
>>4028684
Dunno about it. In my experience reptiles that are kept in bad conditions and are sickly/stunted do not survive brumation. I'd rather keep them warm, clean and well fed year-round.
>>
>>4029253
Little bit of a falase dichotomy there.
Shit, I'd assume that if your reptiles are sickly, stunted, and in shitty conditions, you're probably not going to brumate properly anyway.
>>
File: otter qt.jpg (114 KB, 400x334)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
love me this cute little otter's hands
>>
>>4029387
Weird looking reptile.
>>
File: YoungBruce.lizpeg.jpg (239 KB, 2048x1152)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>4024102
Always smug.
>>
File: otter qt snake.png (239 KB, 400x334)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>4029389
sry i took that pic after he finished shedding his skin
here's what he normally looks like
>>
>>4029394
Well I'm not sleeping tonight
>>
>>4029397
Weasels and other small mustelids are snakes with fur
>>
>>4029398
closer to skinks
>>
>>4029291
I guess it is. Let me rephrase that. Chain store bought, juvenile reptiles sold with little more to go along with them than a halogen lamp and pellets for food, should not brumate.
>>
>>4029842
Well yeah, obviously, but someone who's doing that level of care probably couldn't even spell brumate, let alone know what it is or try to attempt it.
>>
File: IMG-20220106-WA0002.jpg (815 KB, 1632x3264)
815 KB
815 KB JPG
I found a 18 inch garter snake in my basement Sunday, in Minnesota. It's way below freezing outside so I didn't want to put it outside. He is now in an old 10 gallon aquarium with a cardboard tube and flat plastic lid for water. He seemed to orgasm or something after drinking water, rolling around with it's mouth open. Should I try feeding next? Some frozen baby mice sounds like best option, or is there something better I should use?
>>
>>4030040
Do you intend to keep the garter snake or do you intend to let it go when things are warmer?
>>
>>4030045
We're not sure yet. The kids like watching it. We might keep it if we feel like we aren't going to kill it by accident.
>>
>>4030040
>He seemed to orgasm or something after drinking water, rolling around with it's mouth open.
Uh, not exactly normal
>>
>>4030040
would recommend bringing it to a vet,something is seriously wrong if it's having what sounds like a seizure.
what's the temperature where you're keeping it? if it was brumating you're going to want to warm it up somewhat slowly.
>>
>>4030058
Wouldn’t recommend keeping as a permanent pet, wild born snakes typically do terrible in captivity and are always stressed out. There may be exceptions but they usually don’t last long and have parasites or other illnesses already.
>>
>>
>>4030434
Cute.
>>
File: 01rs.jpg (1.02 MB, 965x724)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
This little guy was found on the street with a fracture in his spine. He couldn't move the back area of his body at all but during the months has regained quite a bit of mobility and even can hold on to his tail again.

Several people visiting the rescue looking to adopt were put off by the squirm in his spine where the old fracture is (can't see it that well in this pic but from above it's pretty visible), but I still think he's cute because of it so I brought him home with me.

I think I'll call him Squirmy.
>>
Kamp Kenan got two monitors stolen.
>>
>>4030616
lol who tf steals a monitor? Hope it mauled their arms as monitors do
>>
>>4030616
he should have taken measures to protect his animals after his friend had lizards stolen a month ago
>>
>>4030616
Sad. If I had as much money and time invested as he does, you can bet I'd spend a relatively measly 5k on a buff security system.
>>
>>4030655
It was his black throat and his black dragon, the smallest, most expensive, and easiest to get of his animals. Coordinated strike, as it were. But of a dick move alongside it, since they just left the other enclosures they went into wide open while they did it.
>>4030657
What exactly is sufficient? Locks? You could just pic related through the fencing and get them that way. He mentioned he's getting a guard dog, but even that can be gotten around, since they clearly didnt seem to care about the safety of his animals.
>>
>>4030659
He's apparently got them on camera, to the point where they even know where the guys live, so he's got SOMETHING at least, but I would definitely beef up the security. Shit, he had racoons chomping on his tortoises not too long ago and wasnt aware of it.
>>
File: 1632339821063.png (73 KB, 276x279)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>4030662
>What exactly is sufficient?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft_GXAdSocE
and here we go.
>>
>>4030879
>video removed
>>
>>4030879
>video removed
Fuck, I really wanted to see how bad it was.
>>
>>4030933
>>4030980
>twitch.tv/videos/1256438704
guessing they private their streams after the fact? Still up on twitch however.
havent watched it myself, I think I'll wait for their full video. I know those abysmal views make this clout-starved faggot's pussy hurt, and I want that to continue for as long as possible.
that said
>some call
you know you've got something special when they can't even resist using weasel words in the fucking title.
>>
>>4030616
You really have to wonder about the balls of the guy to steal from someone who is probably one of the most well-connected herp guys in Florida. Of course that doesn't excuse Kenan from making it easy to steal them, but this guy isn't going to be able to legally sell these animals anywhere in Florida. So I guess the question is, what's his motive, to keep them as pets or to sell them on a black market/Chink market/to some prearranged buyer?
Either way, retard's on camera so he'll probably be fucked soon enough. Only question is if they get the animals or if the guy decides to kill them if he can't have them.
>>
>>4026443
T5HO bulbs are gonna be your best bet for viv grow lights, UVB or not. When my UVB T5HOs hit 18 months (my animals don't -need- UVB but do better with it, so I don't replace them till they're definitely done producing UVB) I replace them with new ones and use the old ones as grow lights.
>>
>>4031021
whoever did it is smart enough to do his homework and figure out exactly where he needed to go and what he needed to do to get the animals he was after in both instances (kenan and crutchfield, because they're apparently the same guy). If he's REALLY smart he lined up a cash sale with a buyer that's out of state, and made the exchange first thing in the morning, because even if they nab him, they still wont be able to recover the animals, and won't have any evidence of exactly how much he was paid - "Sold them to a guy for 200 bucks each. Dont know his name, can't remember his screen name, and I lost my phone. sorry."
This was about hurting Kenan while getting some money out of it, and nothing does that quite like "you are never going to see these animals again."
>>
>>4027486
they prolly will.
Also, boas absolutely love birds. If it's big enough, F/T day old chickens are a great option. Just feed a few chicks that add up to equal or less weight than the boa's usual meal. I'm convinced that a varied diet is more of a positive than always making sure 1 meal = 1 prey item, even with boas (and definitely with colubrids).
Most places you can order F/T rats/mice online also stock day old chickens, and they're the cheapest prey items by weight usually.
>>
>>4028557
another fun one is how gators will basically nap with their noses poking above the water during freezes, so they can breathe while keeping their body below the ice where it's warmer.
They're still subtropical reptiles, so it's kinda a last ditch thing that'll kill them if the freeze lasts more than a few days.
>>
>>4031025
>I'm convinced that a varied diet is more of a positive than always making sure 1 meal = 1 prey item, even with boas (and definitely with colubrids).
oh totally. I'd go as far as to say any semi-arboreal snake, since they will absolutely raid a nest and eat as many birds as they can. I think I heard of someone stashing a small group of f/t pinkies under a little cover in their corn snakes enclosure to simulate them raiding a nest, as well.
>>
File: gatorsleeb.webm (2.81 MB, 1280x720)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB WEBM
>>4031029
video highly related.
>>
>>4031035
for sure
when my rat snakes grow up they're gonna be on a mice/chick rotation with the occasional chicken egg or two.
For the boas it's a rotation of rat, rat, chicken.
My kingsnake is weirdly picky and only ever wants to eat mice or my hand.
>>
>>4031041
I've tried offering new stuff with my garters and so far haven't had mixed results - tilapia and chicken hearts are fine, nightcrawlers were only accepted by the one girl who eats everything anyway, they've accepted chicken breast and thigh without issue, but they not only outright rejected frog meat but wouldn't eat the tilapia on the same plate as the frog meat until I moved it to a new plate. I'm trying to avoid pinkies because my wife balks at the idea, but one of them seems to be actively avoiding anything with the multivitamin sprinked on it and I'd like to get her the calcium she's clearly NOT getting just eating chunks of meat.
>>
>>4031102
eh just get small packs and hide them in the freezer.
>>
>>4031123
alternately, pick up a syringe and inject calcium powder into tilapia chunks
>>
>>4031021
>You really have to wonder about the balls of the guy to steal from someone who is probably one of the most well-connected herp guys in Florida
If it’s the same one who stole a fucking croc monitor from crutchfield then he’s got the biggest balls since the guys that’s tile like 50 crocodiles from a farm
>>
>>4031126
the tilapia chunks are roughly 2cm by 1cm, and that's big girl chunky pieces. injecting would likely not be feasible, but maybe dipping one side in the powder and offering the other side? splitting it in half?
>>4031123
I dont like being dishonest in general, and I dont lie to my wife. I'm thinking f picking up a flat pack of silversides next time I'm in petsmart, though, depending on the size of those I could just do that whole, or sliced up.
>>
>>4031157
it's just the thickness that'd matter, i'm thinking just a needle-width of the powder lengthwise through the middle of the strip
Maybe butterfly-cut the tilapia slice, dust the interior, then fold it back over so the powder's sandwiched in the middle.
Gotta get creative, girl needs her calcium to grow up big and strong
>>
>>4031167
Tomorrow's feed day, and she missed last one (as did my largest who just shed out now), ill try a bunch of different methods and report back.
>>
A head of lettuce in the fridge goes a really long way for insect moisture. It really doesn't want to go bad.
>>
File: lizzer.jpg (2.34 MB, 4128x3096)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
I captured what appears to be a brown anole in my house. Under normal circumstances I'd just put it back outside, but it's currently 45 F / 7 C outside. Is that too cold for a reptile? Will it die if I put it out?
>>
>>4031282
Apparently these things are invasive as fuck and are fucking up the native lizards in my area, so I guess it becomes an ethical question. Should I care whether it lives or dies, since it's invasive? I don't really relish the idea of killing it myself
>>
>>4031024
Kenan has been fairly loose about his location in Jupiter like saying how hes down the road from the loxahatchee river district and has thousands of hours of footage showing every inch of his property
Although Im surprised he didnt have any sort of alarms since its a big property
Atleast he didnt get fucked over as bad as the guy who had that piebald alligator that got stolen a few years ago, they torched the building and killed like 40 of his other animals
>>
>>4031291
It wont make an impact regardless but they are fairly harmless
In areas where they are invasive it tends to cause a shift where the green anoles start inhabiting the tops of trees almost exclusively
I had one as a pet for like 7 years, she was a bit of an asshole
>>
>>4030879
okay, NOW here we go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJuRhndWs5E
>>
>>4031386
didn't watch the video because not a fan of NERD. But I was aware of that particular vet before this whole load of bullshit and he's very likely worse than they are.
almost PETA level in his opinion on whether reptiles should be allowed to be kept. Found out about him due to his lobbying for the ban of online sales/shipping of reptiles, and don't doubt the accusations that he either incompetently or deliberately mis-IDs reptiles as illegal species in order to fuck keepers.
>>
File: Bipes.png (88 KB, 265x211)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
Bipes
>>
File: 60ibwd.jpg (119 KB, 885x481)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>4031386
...and yeah it's all horseshit.
>the vet euthanized a guy's animals instead of finding them homes!
>it was an animal hoarder with 50 burms that were illegal in the area. why would they try to find homes for snakes that were, again, ILLEGAL IN THAT AREA?
>They quote him saying that any snakes over 3 meters long probably shouldn't be kept by most people, as if that's somehow inaccurate
>"I have vet sources!" but needed a guy from LA, literally the other side of the fucking country, to sign off on providing care for your own animals (which wasn't the claim in the video), instead of whoever they work with locally
>label the doctor with a thought-terminating cliche nickname
>literally suggest to their fans to brigade the channel
>Kevin's defense basically boils down to his usual tactic to look like he knows what he's doing to his core demo of white trash boomer idiots, vomiting medicine names at the screen, then claiming he's been doing it for years so he knows what he's doing.
>>
>>4031422
Well, if Liam wants to pursue it further (frankly I wouldn't bother unless they do further egregious bullshit), it should be a simple matter of just getting another herp vet on the horn to see what they think. or two. or five.
That having been said, this is more about what's been said and not who's saying it. If the claims are accurate, then it doesn't matter what the guy making them did or what he believes because ANYONE would be able to make those same claims. If they're NOT accurate, then it STILL doesn't matter who's making them because they can be addressed and disproved regardless.
>>
>>4031437
>his usual tactic to look like he knows what he's doing to his core demo of white trash boomer idiots, vomiting medicine names at the screen
also saying "gram negative" a lot.
>>
File: hduye.jpg (217 KB, 992x655)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
If only you knew how bad things really are
>>
File: 20220108_093310_001.jpg (3.24 MB, 4608x3456)
3.24 MB
3.24 MB JPG
Found this guy stashed under my bearded dragon tank a few weeks ago. It's been pretty damn cold so I hooked him up with free fud and lodging.
>>
File: 1626816792127.png (248 KB, 686x386)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3j3rlxmV8o

Frogs look based I want a big fat ass frog I can feed bugs to if they dare step on my turf. Tell me about frogs
>>
>>4031459
Usually don't want to feed them wild bugs. They can carry random shit like parasites or pesticides.
>>
>>4031459
>posts a bugman animal cruelty channel
You'll forgive me if I don't wish to give you any info about pet keeping.
Actually I dont care if you forgive me or not. fuck off with that shit.
>>
>>4031464
Didn't even notice that desu.

>>4031459
Kys faggot.
>>
>>4031457
cute! CUTE!
>>
File: 20220108_093934_001.jpg (3.53 MB, 4608x3456)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>4031486
Yeah he's pretty neat.
>>
>>4023852

YES BUT HOW MUCH DID HE SAVE IN CAR INSURANCE
>>
>>4031459
>posting animal cruelty shit
Inhale chlorine gas and fuck off.
>>
File: 20220108_103458_001.jpg (3.28 MB, 4608x3456)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
Happy Bursday Bruce. Approximately 2 years old now.
>>
>>4031527
Nice.
>>
>>4031527
That substrate looks messy
>>
>>4031550
He just got a small drip of some water to drink.
>>
>>4031386
Okay first of all, I am watching through this right now, haven't finished yet, and while I could say a few things about the segment about them talking about the vet's past and I'm going to >blog about my opinion of this video, I am calling bullshit right now on this claim that they were going to get lobbying groups involved that was brought up by Michael Habib (and brought up by the NERD guys in other media as well). R&R never claimed that was what they were doing, and this is something these terminally retarded monkeys need to stop bringing up. The only thing that was said in the original video was that animal rights groups like PETA WOULD take the media that NERD themselves posts and use it as evidence of animal cruelty or irresponsible petkeeping as part of their crusade against petkeeping in general.
>>
>>4031565
Exactly. It's the most bad faith interpretation of "hey maybe dont cut into your animals and fist-fuck cloacas on camera please, shit makes the reptile hobby look bad" as possible.
Fuck, they weren't even saying to stop what he was doing, just to stop fucking posting it on youtube like some kind of herp dr pimplepopper.
>>
>>4031386
like a balding, child grooming remora.
>>
>>4031724
Why is there not a single good Canadian
>>
>>4031386
>blog/rambling/personal opinion warning
As far as the background of Adrian Walton goes, his personal views are mostly irrelevant, other than he may be punching back at Kevin and NERD. But as far as the B.C. episode goes, there is some utter tripe here that relies on you not looking up the actual news articles about the incident. This person's reticulated pythons were all illegal, and the guy did not have a permit to own any of them. He had other animals which were either not restricted or were prohibited but allowed to be rehomed, and these animals weren't euthanized (or if they were, it doesn't say), but the pythons themselves were illegal and posed a risk. It's hard to say whether rehoming was possible in this scenario, but the logistics of it just seems crazy. The guy was a retard who thought "oh man, they could have rehomed all my giant illegal snakes, why they so mean :(" And Kevin was a retard for blindly charging in on that one.
I won't comment on the Reptile Guy thing, because there is apparently important information in that case which never went public.
I would like to point out that Michael Habib, at least from the quick search I've done, is not actually a veterinarian. So it amuses me that they are using him as their appeal to authority when this guy is more of an academic. Also, they chose someone across the country over using a veterinarian in fucking New Hampshire or even just New England in general, who could very easily be the best source of authority in this matter, both in terms of the procedures and in terms of the legality.
Now I will say upfront I am not trained in animal medicine, so it's my own views here, but I am very curious about the conditions under which they are prescribed medication and advised on its usage. Because I imagine the actual principle is that it's all supposed to be for an emergency, and under normal circumstances those animals should be taken to the vet. Not given prescribed drugs willy-nilly.
(1/3)
>>
>>4031796
The segment where Kevin talks about medicine and his procedures is absolutely hilarious. The ego here is unreal. He repeatedly talks about how vets "trust him," and he makes it seem like the vets consult HIM, how HE teaches vet students. He even starts talking like he knows better than vets. Yet it's funny how he never actually mentions which vets he talks to, which ones prescribe his medicine, etc. He just starts namedropping medicine and medical terms. And there's something in the way he speaks about it that's very memorized, like that's just the way he's been taught to use certain medicines, rather than having the capacity to judge and adapt if something is not actually working; but then he seems to pick and choose what he wants to use out of that. And he pretty much says "yeah I know what I'm doing, I've done all the testing for years, now I can just immediately identify what's wrong with an animal". This is the peak arrogant boomer mentality.
I don't get what they were trying to accomplish with the antibiotics section. If anything, it confirmed what Dr. Walton was saying about people not willing to put in for the animal's care, because he's saying people aren't paying for tests that would result in actually effective antibiotics, so he has to guess despite not wanting to, and the situation with resistant bacteria strains is a result of people not actually caring about antibiotics.
The most egregious bits about sterilization are "oh I soaked the animal and I wiped the area with alcohol, I can spray on the iodine however I want," which I don't know if that necessarily guarantees bacterial sterility but it still seems like an inappropriate view of looking at a surgical procedure; and the whole comment about his hands. It's mindboggling how he thinks "washing his hands" is enough for sticking his finger up a snake's cloaca or putting his hands near an incision, when people at hospitals get in trouble for that sort of shit. "Muh granulation".
(2/3)
>>
>>4031797
Obligatory "haha ur channels smaller ur desperate xdd" dickwaving. Also solidarity for fellow rackfaggot Barczyk.
They show themselves giving lidocaine to an anaconda but don't really address whether they gave any pain relief or anesthesia to localized areas of the snakes they showed in the videos. They just say "oh we have this stuff".
It is very ironic how Donny suggests that the videos aren't educational, yet it seems like the whole point of videos like the one with a title "SAVED THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON SNAKE SURGERY BY USING THIS TRICK!" is to teach people to do backyard veterinary shit. And then to the inevitable comment "but you are touting your videos as educational," he responds "lmao read a book." Basically anything EXCEPT consulting veterinarians.
Kevin talks about suturing, again, like he is an expert on the subject and it's "according to his opinion." No secondary consultation or anything.
It feels like there's cognitive dissonance in the last segment, because Kevin admits that certain antibiotics can fry an animal's kidneys over time, but then he shows the snake he used gentamicin on and goes "see it's fine right now, take that!" And one last boomer take toward the end.

And yet it's amazing how throughout this entire video, never once do they touch on one of the actual main issues: whether what they are doing is legal. Because they are operating on reptiles in their own business, and at least one of the snakes they operated on wasn't theirs. They don't have a license to actually practice veterinarian medicine. And they don't seem to be consulting veterinarians on each procedure they do (nor on whether they are appropriately administrating the general prescriptions they are being given). It seems like Kevin is winging it more than anything.
Also, just because one guy's a Brit and the other's Canadian doesn't invalidate their views on this subject concerning the legality and ethics of what Kevin is doing in New Hampshire and in the US.
(3/3)
>>
>>4031799
Rant over. Don't care if anyone reads or not or calls any of my opinions shit or calls me a faggot, just wanted to vent my own opinions of this video and its contents, because the overall energy I get is that their heads are stuck up their own asses, practically swallowing their own farts. And I don't like how they attack R&R and Walton way more than they attack NERD, regardless of anyone's personal opinions about Adrian Walton.
>>
>>4031796
>as far as the B.C. episode goes, there is some utter tripe here that relies on you not looking up the actual news articles about the incident. This person's reticulated pythons were all illegal, and the guy did not have a permit to own any of them. He had other animals which were either not restricted or were prohibited but allowed to be rehomed, and these animals weren't euthanized (or if they were, it doesn't say), but the pythons themselves were illegal and posed a risk. It's hard to say whether rehoming was possible in this scenario, but the logistics of it just seems crazy.
the best part of this whole section is that kevin has, on MULTIPLE occasions, criticized "basement breeder" guys like the idiot in BC, and how doing shit like that, especially with big snakes, especially with snakes you're not even allowed to possess, is detrimental to the hobby. As soon as it's convenient to do so, however, he's a poor victim of the evil, "put vet in scarequotes so as to undermine his professional standing" guy that SOME PEOPLE who we will never name or even address call "Dr. Death™ #drdeath"
Weird, it's almost as if the guy who takes credit for discovering the spider gene has no principles beyond whats convenient for his business.
>>
>>4031796
>I would like to point out that Michael Habib, at least from the quick search I've done, is not actually a veterinarian
PHD in paleontology, so he's not even a herpetologist as they claim (unless they're being REALLY pedantic about dinosaurs being reptiles) and not a doctor in the medical sense at all.
>>
>>4031527
Happy birthday Bruce!!
>>
File: conda impostor.jpg (105 KB, 720x480)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>
He bites
>>
>>4031985
he is 50% mouth so obviously
>>
>>4031527
>>4031536
>>4031550
>>4031875
>>
File: 20200425_203754.jpg (2.56 MB, 3264x2448)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB JPG
>>4032025
>>
File: 20200429_092304.jpg (2.39 MB, 3264x2448)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB JPG
>>4032027
>>
>>4032029
>>
Just bought my second boa, I'm so excited bros
>>
>>4032032
majestic
>>
>>4032037
I really do be missing his old colors. Oh well the black stripes are neat when he gets hit with the sun.
>>
>>4032039
He cute, you tell him I say he cute. and pat head.
He cute.
>>
>>4032052
He's knocked out right now. I will make sure when I give him his pile of dubias tomorrow. I got tons of males that need to go.
>>
>>4032035
Pic or it didn't happen
>>
>>4032386
He's getting shipping in so I will post pics when I get him Wednesday.
>>
>>4031724
Does Wickens Wicked Reptiles groom children? Am I missing something
>>
>>4032793
He hangs out around with another canadian reptile youtuber, who's a 14-16 year old girl, entire too much and is entirely too friendly with her for being over twice her age.
>>
>>4032884
that's his goddaughter
>>
I have a giant flat rock slate that my tort eats off. But his beak and nails still get long, what do you guys use to help the wear down?
>>
File: Cute Tuatara.jpg (114 KB, 640x512)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Opinion on Tuatara?
>>
File: 20220109_180334.jpg (979 KB, 2011x1245)
979 KB
979 KB JPG
Tiger Salamander

>>4032937
Based Dino.
>>
>>4032948
Is that yours? He's a handsome fella.
>>
File: 20210207_131705.jpg (2.46 MB, 3264x2448)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>4032951
Yee

He is >>4031527 neighbor. Along with the pixie and a smooth sided toad.
>>
>>4023849
Hey guys I'm new here, my brother bought me an anole for Christmas and I want to put some greenery in it's tank. Found some moss at the dollar tree but I'm not sure if it's safe to use, for reference I have an old 10 gallon tank I'm keeping it in with some cut up branches I threw in there but its winter so the branches are dry hence my moss question.
Has anybody here tried using cheap moss before?
>>
>>4032989
wouldn't recommend it. it's likely treated/preserved with who knows what.
If you;re looking for a little greenery and dont want to go all-out with fully planting your enclosure, look for fake plants that look somewhat appealing, or go with a few epiphytes/air plants like tillandsia.
>>
>>4032948
That looks more like a marbled salamander.
>>
>>4033008
My bad I completely switched them up lmao.
>>
So about a week ago i notice my ballpython had the cloudy eyes i expected to see before a shed, i spray the enclosure substrate and keep it between 50&60%. I checked 2 days ago and noticed she had kindof a shitty shed as far as it wasnt one piece but more patchy where the belly had most of it off but the rest was still attached and frayed on the sides. So i put it in a warm bin for about 10 minutes and set her back in her bin. I also took the sphagnum i had in her hides, got it wet, squeezed it out, and put it back in her hides(i got a reading of 80% but dropped to 70% the day after). So today she’s been out of the hides more often and there is shed all over. Did i fuck up or did i do the right thing?
>>
>>4033686
You need to keep humidity at 70%+ constantly for a ball python, I swear the notion that its lower is racknigger propaganda. If she's getting it off then yes you amended it. If she can't get it all off you might need to help her.
>>
>>4033686
60% is low for a ball trying to shed and if it's not going well I'd do a soak for an hour.
>>
File: 20220110_110852_001.jpg (1.77 MB, 2808x2297)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
I want another but I know I should get some sort of monitor.
>>
>>4033686
Did you confirm eyecaps on the shed? That and the tip of the tail are the most worrisome parts, but give her a complete once-over to make sure everything's good. Also give her a little bit of a larger prety item next feed if you can, apparently shedding takes a lot out of them.
>>
>>4033754
Get one of these friendly little guys
>>
>>4034027
I was thinking a lace.
>>
>>4034027
>>4034042
if you look around in the southern florida area there's a black water dragon and a black throat available for sale at whats probably a steep discount
>>
>>4034085
lmao yeah I read that earlier in the thread.
>>
>>4034027
I feel like these guys only get a bad rep because they can literally kill you with a bad enough bite, so people are skittish around them, so they end up less socialized so more prone to bite, so people are skittish around them, etc. etc.
>>
>>4034092
Well I do like being alive.
>>
Do you think 2 different kinds of roaches count as variety for nutrition sake or are they mostly the same?
>>
>>4034108
the nutritional values in roach species aren't hugely different, but apart from some outliers (feeding species with more fat or more hydration to help out a thin/dehydrated animal) feeder variety is more of an enrichment/treat thing than a nutrition thing, and two different prey items are fine for that, but I'd mix it up occasionally with some other stuff just for shits and giggles.
More details about what feeders contain what here:
>reptifiles.com/feeder-insect-nutrition-facts-chart/
>>
>>4034042
High tier monitor, terrible pet. Combine the feeding response of an Argus with the teeth of a croc monitor and you basically get a lace monitor
>>
>>4034092
Also most are imports which doesn’t help with the temperament on them. They’re actually a fairly docile species, at least compared to something like a lace monitor which is probably the next closest thing.
>unsocialised juvenile croc monitor feeding
https://youtu.be/8nWFnPJHTpQ
>unsocialised juvenile lace monitor feeding
https://youtu.be/BJZkHgMp0jo
>>
>>4034184
oh hey. I'm reasonably sure crocdoc is the guy that rekindled my interest in reptiles a few years back.
>>
>>4034189
I’m guessing it was his video of the monitor training that went kinda viral in the reptile community. Still probably the most well made training video I’ve seen
>>
>>4034175
So what you are saying is get an argus monitor?
>>
>>4034194
that's the one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTITUgDcmU
>>
I soak my tort everyday but his shell still looks bone dry
>>
>>4031985
What is the funny frog's name?
>>
Any cost-effective tips on setting up a dart frog bio-active? Also, while they obviously will need a misting unit for higher humidity, my room never drops below 53% and I'm curious if that's an acceptable "emergency absolute minimum" if my power shuts off while I'm away for a while.
>>
Oh shit
https://youtu.be/gGDLQfYuNck
>>
>>4032884
Not sure he figured out how insufferable women in the reptile community are yet
>>
>>4034615
He's as insufferable as a woman, so not likely.
>>
>>
>>4034457
If you've got a nice deep substrate, your dart frogs won't revert to the natural room humidity for some time.

As far as cheap bioactive stuff, coco husk and plain topsoil is probably the best thing to use for substrate. Falso bottoms don't need to be leca or whatever (even if leca is cheap), you can use 10 mmish rocks from outside just fine, they just are heavier. Get your permiable barrier fabric by cutting a scrap from a road ditch sediment trap at a construction site or something. Make ledges with scrap wood and ramps out of pure clay cat litter mixed with coco fiber. Cover the planks with that, too, and steal plants by taking discrete cuttings from the plants on display at home Depot or Walmart or whatever. Woodlice can be found outside, as well as springtails. Millipedes are great and free too. Use a 10 gallon fish tank from goodwill and have your hardware store cut you a simple plexi lid.

And culture flightless fruit flies or sugar ants using your food scraps (if using fruit flies, bake and rehydrate your food scraps, to prevent contamination of the genepool and loss of the flightlessness trait.
>>
>>4033008
They're so cute, are these guys available anywhere or nah?
>>
Donny is cringe, the animal euthanizer is cringe, caring about reptile laws is cringe, the reptile hobby is a mess.
Own reptile, post reptile, ignore internet drama
>>
File: 20220110_110301.jpg (2.74 MB, 4160x3120)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
Never seen this amount of wrinkles on my snakes belly before. He's going through a growth spurt but shed very recently. Is this abnormal or the beginnings of a skin issue? His enclosure has both wet and totally dry areas, the air humidity isn't crazy high. This is the most wrinkly spot but he's got a crease down most of his length, it is distinct from the "belly button" line
>>
File: 20220110_110242.jpg (2.66 MB, 4160x3120)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>4034786
>>
MY GIRL BEEN LAZY AS FUCK HIDIN ALL DAY KINDA DULL ON THE BOTTOM BUT DONT NOTICE ANY CHANGE ONTOP SKIN AND HAVENT NOTICED BLUE/CLOUDY EYES.
NINE DAYS AGO I NOTICED SHE HAD DULL BOTTOM SKIN. SO I LEFT HER ALONE THINKING SHE WAS GONNA SHED:
SHE HAS BEEN SLEEPING/HIDING A LOT.
HAVE NOT FED HER IN ALMOST 3 WEEKS SINCE SHE IS FAT,
SHE IS CORN SNAKE ADULT.

HOWEVER I HAVE NOT FOUND HER SHED SKIN SO WHAT THE HELL IS UP IS SHE EVEN SHEDDING:
I DONT WANNA HEAR NO PRINCESS TALK ABOUT DOING RESEARCH I DID RESEARCH NOW IM ASKING YOU..

There is only one place in her terrarium that is so big that i cant see fully into.
A tree branch,
hollow.
About 80cm long.
3 openings, I can see into 2 of them on each side.
But I cant see through the third hole unless i pull it out which i havent done.
There is therefore bits of the tree taht i cant see into.
but whenever she is hiding there, i can see her.
even if only parts of her.

Is she even shedding? It is winter so she could just be hiding. Ive had her for 2 motnhs its my first time having a reptile.
Could the shed skin be in the tree trunk?
>>
>>4034879
1)Behavior shouldnt have changed a great deal if the enclosure parameters are the same. Make sure your temps and humidity are okay.
2)stop starving your snake. If she's actually fat just feed her smaller prey slightly less often. It could be that she's trying to conserve energy.
The skin COULD be in the tree trunk but you'd probably see it pretty clearly.
>>
>>4034912
>1
temp is 20+celsius and theres the warm side . enclosure is same although ive made mild changes every now and then.
>2
when i bought her the owner said she'd been feed once every 3 or 4 weeks since she gets fat easily. so i fed her about every 2 weeks. fed her 3 times now and she got visibly fat.
also some guy on this general said they should fast during winter so i wanna take a bit longer this time before i feed her.

i tried to look in the tree trunk and reached in the hole that i cant see and found nothing so i really dont thinkt he skin is there. proper check woudl require pratically taking allthe decorations and hides out of the terrarium.

idk i watched a youtube video that said they get blue eyes about 10-12 days before shedding, and before the dullskin (9daysago) i was handling her almost every day except when she fed and never noticed blue eyes.

maybe she is just not in shed? but since 9 days ago she has been hiding a lot as i said, or rather she hasnt been moving as much.
>>
>>4034780
Kill slammers with hammers should be the only politics I see here.
>>
>>4033006
Sorry for the late response but yeah I figured as much, I started looking in Walmart for cheap alternatives and ended up finding a small live plant so I'm just going to stick that in there for the meantime and I learned about bioactive tanks too so I'm thinking of doing that.
>>
>>4035172
I was a little intimidated by the idea of a bioactive at first (you mean I have to keep an entire ecosystem alive and flourishing instead of just the animal, and Im. It even sure Im going ti be doing THAT part correct?), but its actually quite easy, it just takes a little bit to extra cash to get materials. Only took about two hours start to finish once I got everything, too.
>>
>>4034601
So it is confirmed that there is a reptile theft ring running around in Florida at the very least, then. It will be interesting to see what will come of this, now that they have a suspect in custody. Also whether they just try to pawn reptiles off cheap or if they have interstate or even overseas buyers.
>>
File: rtdhftft.png (1.08 MB, 994x579)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>4034786
>>4034792
Looks normal to me
>>
Share with me the techniques of using heat tape with a diy wooden enclosure. I specifically need belly heat so I'm not doing a rhp or bulbs.
>>
>>4035731
Is it a dry or a tropical enclosure?
>>
>>4035731
>>4035766
My preference for belly heat is a dark stone or slate tile heated by a bulb, because, ideally, the animal should have a cooler, more humid refuge deeper in the substrate.
>>
>>4035768
i never understood why people jizz thier dicks out over heat pads and heat tape, especially when they decry heat ROCKS as some evil lizard killing apparatus when it's effectively the exact same thing.
does your reptile exclusively hang out in an around fucking geothermal vents in the wild? because if it doesn't it's getting its belly heat he same way everything else does - from conductive materials warmed by the sun.
>>
I need to buy dirt for my enclosure. I don't trust the stuff outside since it might have bugs or pesticides on it. What's a good organic soil?
>>
>>4035897
i used a mix of coco coir, cypress mulch, sphagnum moss, and washed play sand. if you look up the ingredients for pretty much any organic bioactive soil it's basically the exact same shit.
>>
>>4035918
oh yeah and some leaves I collected from my yard, boiled, bleached, rinsed, and dried. snake fungal disease is no fucking joke.
>>
>>4035766
Dry
>>
File: DSC_0114(1).jpg (422 KB, 2992x1688)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>4032035
Here he is bros, his name is Styx
>>
File: DSC_0111(1).jpg (579 KB, 2992x1688)
579 KB
579 KB JPG
>>4035986
He's an IMG Snow. Here he is exploring his quarantine tank
>>
>>4035986
>>4035987
cute translucent boi
>>
>>4035918
I'm currently using only coco and have play sand below it, but my vet says to stop using it. He says my tort might ingest it and cause blockage issues.
>>
>>4035969
Glue the heating element between two pieces of slate tile and make it the top element of a Retes Stack.
>>
>>4036001
Get a different vet. What does he think these animals do in the wild, live in little plastic bubbles?
>>
>>4036001
Biggest threat for impaction is insufficient basking heat. Vets ascribe it to substrate because when they do a necropsy, the substrate is stuck in the gut, but that doesn't answer the "Why?" the substrate was stuck in the gut.

Guarantee that your tortoise's wild relatives have access to sand in the wild. I like sand/soil mixes with a bit of organic matter added because the tortoise can excavate them with less risk of being entombed.
>>4035860
They are cheap and easy. Until the thermostat fails to "on" and cooks your pal.

Thankfully l learned this vicariously.
>>
>>4027215
Not for long im afraid, that snail is a good snack
>>
>>4035987
Nice
>>
File: 20220110_180935_001.jpg (2.73 MB, 3315x2884)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
8 days later he realized it's a house and now he won't leave it.
>>
>>4036001
What kind of tort? If your soil is mostly organic matter and very fine sand it shouldn't be a big deal as long as your tort's digesting food properly. Just avoid pebbles, stone and gravel and keep a sufficient basking temp. Chances are your tortoise will ingest substrate regardless unless you feed it out of a tray or dish.
>>
>>4036110
>They are cheap and easy. Until the thermostat fails to "on" and cooks your pal.
what makes them so different than pic related, though? Is it just a quality issue?
>>4036001
like I said, your standard ABG mix is basically what I described, so if they recommended "soil" instead of "a few ingredients short of soil" I agree with >>4036103, get a second opinion.
If you're still concerned, maybe mix the coco coir and sand up instead of layering it, and compress it down a fair bit after to get more solid ground feeling, and toss in some medium sized stones (large enough so that he can't attempt to eat them) to add some terrain variety for him.
So long as your humidity and temps are good, though, a LITTLE geophagy isn't going to kill him.
>>
>>4035986
>>4035987
Neat. I like him.
>>
>>4036162
ha!
>>
>>4035986
>>4035987
wtf I love him
>>
>>4036110
properly used, heat tape/heat pads should never come in contact with the animal. Best application is to the exterior of one side of an enclosure, generally plastic tubs (which I only use for juveniles anyway). And a size that could be plugged directly into the wall without heating up enough to burn the animal.
Any heating element that can be sat or leaned on has no place inside an enclosure. Radiant heat from above is best - DHP, RHP, or bulbs.
Ceramic heat emitters aren't great, they warm the air rather than radiate heat, but can be valuable for raising enclosure temps.

As for sand, you're correct. Sharp sand needs to be avoided, but play sand (which is polished to have no sharp edges) is great in most reptile enclosures as part of the substrate mix, especially if they like to dig.
>>
>>4035987
How do those genes interact as he gets older? IMG boas get blacker as they age, so will he get whiter or pinker?
My breeding project is blood (erythrism) + anerythrism, makes a really interesting shade. But they've got a couple more years to go before they're old enough. It's weird when gene effects cancel eachother out and result in a completely different appearance.
>>
>>4036429
I have absolutely no idea, I've never seen a picture of an adult one. He definitely looks different from my normal snow when she was his age. Snows yellow with age so those lavender tones he has might get deeper if anything.
Any pictures of a blood anery? Sounds neat.
>>
>>4036437
here's blood+hypo+type2 anery, something that is remotely possible for me to get from one of my 2 pairings but guaranteed if I pair one from one of those litters with any boa that is at least guaranteed het for both blood and T2 anery. Or third generation if I breed half-siblings, but I want to avoid that and blood+anery aren't expensive or difficult to find.
>>
>>4035596
Thanks, the change just freaked me out
>>
>>4035860
Heat rocks are powered and just really crappy quality not the same thing as a normal rock heated by a bulb
>>
>>4036825
I understood the "doesnt equal a rock heated by a bulb" bit, that much is obvious, I've just never gotten a straight answer as to what makes them different from a heat pad, apart from the fact that one is shaped like a rock and one isnt.
Shit, there are brands that make rocks AND pads, what makes the rock shit and the pad not if they presumably have the same heating elements in them?
>>
>>4036872
The heat pad/tape typically is outside of the tub. But I don't like heat pads or heat tape, like I said the coolest part of your vivarium should be the substrate, and I'd you need extra heating to make temp, insulation is probably better than spending even more on electricity.

Those carved and drylocked foam backdrops really help with this.
>>
>>4036902
Oh Im 100% in agreement with you, my main gripe is that there really does feel like there's a legitimate answer to that question out there, but it seems like no one seems to know it, or if they do they cant properly articulate it beyond "they're bad." Heat tape and UTHs I can see have a wholly different use case (mostly for rackniggers), but I also see thick heat PADS in use as well, even alongside bulbs. Its odd.
>>
>>4036103
>hurr durr the wild
honestly a terrible arguement to make, they get parasites in the wild as well do you think we should bring that inside as well?
>>
>>4036910
heat rocks are generally just terribly manufactured causing a plethora of issues mainly overheating and burning the animal, never had that experience with heat pads.
>>
>>4037038
My reptile does not have dogshit husbandry and is actually hydrated so yes he can stay on coco.
>>
>>4037077
not the argument i was making dipshit
>>
>>4037084
I didn't take my meds so its the one I am making.
>>
>>4037077
Coco is best
>>
>>4037038
just going "nuh natural environment" is dumb, and natural doesn;t necessarily mean optimal by any stretch, but if you're looking for the best model for an animals environment, the kind of environment that they've evolved to thrive in is a good starting point. the vet may have a point if the tort's just being fed off of the ground and is picking up mouthfuls of loose coco coir with every bite, but I seriously doubt that's the case, and even if it is, switching to soil isn't going to fix that if everything else is the same, he'll just be picking up mouthfuls of soil instead.
>>
>>4037038
While
>Muh wild
can be a fallacy in an argument, and can lead to retarded care decisions (like live feeding rodents), it is something we should pay attention to when making car choices. And if we're talking about death via geophagy and compaction, we need to ask two questions, both "Does a naturalistic substrate cause geophagy" and "If we have good husbandry, does geophagy cause death". Since geophagy is a rare cause of death, but a frequent occurrence in the wild, we can say that compaction isn't caused by geophagy, except in extreme cases, so sand in the substrate isn't what killed your tortoise, something else was.

And if compaction is caused by something other than geophagy, what is the cause? And the answer is insufficient basking temperatures. The enclosure temperature might even have been high enough, but tortoises (and almost everything else that's tropical or subtropical) bask way hotter than most beginner keepers maintain for a basking spot.

A Vet telling a tort keeper to get their tort off of a sandy substrate is functionally equivalent to a doctor telling a fatty to eat a low fat diet because his cholesterol is too high. It MIGHT keep the tort from dying of compaction or lower the fatty's LDLs, but it does so without treating the underlying problems, a digestive system on the knife edge of failure due to inadequate husbandry and obesity and sedentary lifestyle respectively.
>>
>>4037278
I agree with this.
>>
File: PXL_20220113_040536278.jpg (1.29 MB, 3274x2651)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
leos like climbing, even this blind goofy looking fucker
he looks exceptionally goofy when he's swallowing a big dubia roach
>>
>>4037606
They will also just walk off a cliff sometimes so dont make it too high lmao.
>>
How much height does a hognose enclosure actually need? Could I just have 5 inches of substrate enough room on top to wiggle around, do they enjoy climbing given their preference is to burrow?

Also, what is an appropriate sized enclosure for a full grown pacman frog?
>>
>>4038092
>Hognose

No clue but the rosie at my wagie loves at least 3 inches of sub.

>full grown pacman frog

Horned Frogs need at least a 10 since they are lazy asses but I would give him a 20 long just to give him more room.
>>
>>4038092
My hognose still has growing to do, so I have about 3 - 4 inches of substrate in there for him. He makes good use of that. I will say that he doesn't climb much, but he loves burrowing and hiding under things. I found him under a cork bark today. However, it's probably good to offer a few climbing opportunities all the same, you never know.
>>
>>4038114
>>4038109
so height is really very unimportant for hogs
>>
>>4038118
Yeah. Give him one if you want but its not crazy necessary.
>>
>>4037606
why does he look like that?
>>
>>4038223
Bro you just cant ask someone why they look like that wtf.
>>
>>4038118
More choices are always good, but they like depth more than height. Pretty sure some easterns hang out on reeds above the water and snatch fish and frogs that way, so maybe even some vertical options if you want.
>>
>>4034445
Vespucci
>>
>>4025245
He is gorgeous
>>
>>4030458
Anon, I think you did an incredible thing. Thank you for helping Squirmy he is beautiful.
>>
>>4030458
Wow. Good on you, anon! He's very cute.
>>
>>4038082
i am aware of this. Especially this guy, he's blind in one eye and probably has poor vision in the other, and it makes him fearless. Honestly that's one of the reasons I picked him, even as a tiny baby he wasn't defensive. Sees good enough to eat from tongs.
>>4038223
birth defect. Egg was squished against something and hidden, wasn't found till it was too late. He's thriving, but I've heard reports that this type of defect can result in shorter lives. We'll see, no regrets regardless. I love the happy little guy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3OklAg2v3g
I think this guy is the gateway to bad keeping and is a boomer piece of dogshit who thinks he is the answer to all things animal husbandry, but this is still fucking awful and I feel for the dude.
Apparently the captcha doesn't feel the same way, holy shit that's a bit mean really.
>>
>>4038617
okay my opinon may be starting to evolve on this one, he's posting the necropsy footage. That's a bit ghoulish actually.
>>
>>4038617
I'm not giving him views, What is he saying happened? That was Lilith, right?
>>
>>4038627
yeah, it's Lilith. Systemic gout, in all likelihood genetic given the apparent overall poor health of leucistic king cobras (even his het is apparently not doing great, and his het's littermates are either not thriving or dead). kidneys fucked, Had crystalline urates throughout her body and probably a liter of fluids just pooling in her from various edema.
>>
>>4038617
>snake had a broken skull all this time and Kevin didn't know
Damn, sounds like something a vet with a proper xray machine could have found.
That isn't what killed her but that poor snake, no wonder she was so feisty.
>>
just ordered snake food from big cheese. I can't believe baby chicks are as underrated as they are. Plus they're less than half the price of rats by weight. 50 50g chicks for less than 15
70g small rats.
All my boas get them every other meal. My rat snakes will too once they're big enough (and they'll get eggs too). Varied diets!
>>
>>4025885
The chad barbata. Who the fuck thought centrals should be the most popular pet lizards and not these
>>
>>4026916
The video posted by the dodo was not a joke
>>
>>4038617
All I want to know is if he ever says he took her to the vet.
>>
>>4039022
He did not.
>>
what are these two pink-ish bumps between her nostril and mouth?
keep an eye on or immediate vet?
>>
>>4039099
Herpes
>>
>>4039099
just looks like minor blemishes, keep an eye on it but i dont think its cause for concern
>>
>>4039022

>>4039082 isnt technically true, he took her to a vet for the necropsy.
>>
NEW NEW NEW

>>4039240

>>4039240

>>4039240

>>4039240
>>
>>4039082
>>4039188
>for the necropsy
But not when she was alive? Not even for an annual? Because it seems to me like if that's the case, then he's reaping what he sows for his "DIY veterinarian medicine" behavior.
>>
>>4039268
In this particular case (at least according to the vets he consulted), it was likely genetic (which also explains why you dont see any of them around), but at the same time, her kidneys were fucking WRECKED and that's the kind of shit you see when you misapply antibiotics, and she had apparently tripled in size since he got her, so something she would have had at birth feels less likely to me.
The cynical cunt part of my brain feels like the only reason they showed the necropsy (with no fucking disclaimer by the way, just a smash cut to a snake split open from throat to vent) was that the one vet specifically said that it wasnt anything he did, so they have that as a defense when people say he killed his snake.
>>
>>4035731
RHPs, and really any ambient heaters, provide belly heat by heating the ground under them. And belly heat doesn't really matter as long as the reptile is absorbing heat into their body, and the floor isn't cold or anything. Belly heat isn't anything special or required.
>>
>>4038685
I stopped buying from them because back in 2019 I couldn't get small, medium, or large rats on a regular schedule. But that was an issue with every back up online supplier I had, except for Rodent Pro. I ended up breeding my own, between online suppliers either not having what I need or being bad quality, the absolute worthless feeders I got from Repticon, and the insanely high prices of my local pet store.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.