[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: sunshine.png (1.55 MB, 1004x670)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
Sunshine edition

This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

Previous >>3978353
>>
File: t3_6hzx5r.jpg (33 KB, 800x533)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>
Any plantbros on? It appears my garters have trampled the shit out of (and also shit ON) my peperomia. Is it salvagable? Should I toss it and maybe swap it out with one of the pothos? Leave it in there to rot and take its place in the great circle of life Ive set up in the enclosure? Grab some cuttings and try to propagate elsewhere? Something else entirely?
>>
I'm going to need you guys to do a voodoo ritual or some shit so I can see something interesting at my show in early December. It's on life support.
>>
>>3988286
I stopped going to shows because it's basically just $15 for me to walk around, look at ball pythons and crested geckos, and then go home without even buying anything
>>
>>3988283
It looks like it suffer from too much water and humidity, I don't think this is a good plant for a terra. Make some cuttings and then keep them on your desk.
>>
>>3988292
I've seen it (peperomia rosso) in other vivarium builds before, but I did have some doubts it would do well when I looked up its info, yeah. Wasnt really happy with where it ended up either, so I removed it. reasonbly sure it's toast, I saw TONS of spingtails in the soil around it, and when I went to transplant what I could (the entire root structure is just GONE, only two or three cuttings appeared to still be viable) two big fat isopods wanted to hitch a ride, so I think it's just been feeding the cleanup crew this whole time.
Replaced it with a third hide, which I've been wanting to do anyway - my girls like to cuddle up, but I wanted them to have the option to hang out in the warm hides individually if they wanted.
>>
>>3988323
pothos is doing great though.
>>
File: 2015-3-Critter-WB.jpg (41 KB, 769x480)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
when do most amphibians come in stock again? spring?
>>
>>3988341
>waking up from brumation
>pairing
>development
>monitoring a bit for stability/"getting established"
late spring/early summer I'd guess, yeah.
>>
had my terrarium and corn snake for a couple days and heat mat was initially ~27 celsius got it to about ~30 celsius is that enough or do i gotta keep pushing
>>
The fruit flies I keep placing in new culture cups keep fucking dying what the fuck is wrong with these shitters. Might have to put extra ventilation in some lids tomorrow
>>
I've done a lot of research on viper geckos, but does anyone have any personal experience/can vouch if they are cool or not worth it?
>>
File: price.png (260 KB, 1057x471)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
How much are you willing to pay for a reptile ?
>>
So I asked about ball pythons last thread and im gonna go ahead and pull the trigger. I have my eye on a 200g female and im putting together a shopping list based on various youtube videos and forums i’ve read and im hoping to get some input.
Inkbird ITC-306T, a reptitherm heat mat with size depending on the tub, some kind of temp&humidity gauge combo (im not sure which one is “best” i just want very accurate digital that i can leave in the bin), aspen bedding for substrate and Sphagnum moss to put in the humidity box. Then 2 hides, a water bowl, and some fake plants and such. I’m not set on the thermostat, thermometer/hygrometer, or the tub size yet but this is just what im thinking for now and then improving it over time until i get one of the nice pvc display enclosures. Am i forgetting anything or is there better versions of what im thinking before i buy?
>>
>>3988925
I'd pay ~$10,000 for a tuatara pair. But that's easy to say because it'll never happen.
>>
>>3988932
The only thing that should ever use aspen is maybe the drier rat snakes and corns, aspen rots and molds
>>
>>3988935
What do you suggest? I was worried about the mold but pretty much accepted i would have to regularly change it out every poop.
>>
File: cocohusk.jpg (201 KB, 1500x1245)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>3988950
I used this when I had a boa. Not the expensive type from the pet store, the one for plants. Never had a problem. Doesn't rot, keep a good humidity.
>>
>>3988932
Do not buy aspen, use coconut fiber or coconut husk. Even if the mold isnt a problem it still holds humidity like crap. I'd also get him some stuff to climb on, ball pythons, despite what the (((rackusers))) would say love to climb. What enclosure are you using?
>>
>>3988925
Big oof
>>
>>3988969
Right now Im planning on using a tub and planning on a larger naturalistic enclosure once she gets bigger. I’d like to go bioactive as well with the live plants and cleanupcrew as well. Maybe something like pic related although preferably taller? And the goal would be a burrow/hide on the hot and cool side, with not so much branches but more like shelves in the background area to climb on. But this is just early planning and it would be a while before i get to that point. I’d like to see more of how they live and what environment they have naturally before i get to the actual enclosure building whether it be a pvc, exoterra, or something i build myself. Im not a huge fan of rack systems but keeping a handful of snakes in attractive naturalistic setups is really appealing to me. Breeding to fund my hobby sounds fun/rewarding but i know a lot would have to go into that and i dont want to be the 50 snakes in a sad looking rack guy. But! That being said if all goes well and i get this girl then there’s several years to decide if that’s the way to go. Right now i just want to focus on the one snake and give it the best life i can.
>>
File: crestie.jpg (389 KB, 1920x1200)
389 KB
389 KB JPG
>3 urate drips appear over night from top of front glass to bottom
YOU DO THIS TO ME ON PURPOSE DON'T YOU
>>
>>3988617
That's right where it should be for a corn. You're all set.
>>
>>3989077
thanks <3
>>
File: 1637744317943.jpg (33 KB, 360x469)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Herps STINK. and their name is literally derived from herpes simplex. Long live kots!
>>
>>3989106
>Herps STINK
Most don't have any body odor at all. A properly cleaned enclosure won't smell either.
>>
>>3989027
>>
>>3989106
ainchu the nigga who shit all over everything
>>
>>3989106
Fuck you toxofag, cats actually give you diseases
>>
>>3989106
The only thing about herps that stinks is when they musk on you. Meanwhile, one of the worst smelling animals I ever had to work with was a fatass cat.
>>
>>3988061
Happy Thanksgiving /herp/
>>
File: 1472638913313.jpg (144 KB, 618x597)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>looking at herp sub on reddit
>people are holding their frog while wearing rubber gloves
>when someone isn't they sperg out in the comments about muh oils burning the poor heckin froggerino's skin
Why is this meme so prevalent? Unless you lather your hands in hand sanitizer before touching a frog literally nothing will happen to it
>>
File: unknown.png (140 KB, 598x277)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>3989357
1) folklore husbandry
2) pic related
>>
File: 3938837-.png (21 KB, 900x771)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>NOOOOOOOOOO you can't hold the heckin froggerino without gloves!!
>>
How do you set up a night time heating system when you have daytime bulbs and UVBs? I live in a colder climate area, and while I can generally keep the room at a consistent temp, I also want to make sure it's a good temp in the terrarium. So what is the best way to go about accomplishing this? I could get a CHE, but I feel like having three light fixtures on top of the cage is too much clutter. And I don't want to run a night time light that would disturb the animal's circadian rhythm.
>>
>>3989357
Exactly. It’s always something like a fucking green tree frog, not some ultra sensitive critically endangered frog from a cloud forest or alpine bog
>>
>>3988061
why arent spider morphs more frowned upon in the reptile world? why isnt there more restrictions put upon breeding in general?
>>
>>3989632
They make money so the BP pyramid skeemers can sell their slammed brain function gene carriers to other tublords, welfare is not high on their list of priorities
>>
>>3989632
>>3989651 <- mostly this. There's similar morphs in other reptiles with the deleterious effects that are almost universally frowned upon, but arent nearly as rabidly defended as spider balls because they dont make nearly as much money.
>>
>>3989583
CHE is the answer youre looking for, ive personally got a 2-in-1 mini halogen/UV fixture, and a CHE on the thermostat pic related) - the CHE is on the thermostat and keeps the ambient air temp to an acceptable level, and the halogen/uv combo provides light/uv and booststhe heat on the rocks in the basking area. I'm keeping garters so theyre temperate shade dwellers, so your mileage may vary, but it works for my purposes. If you're turned off by the clutter you might want to look into either building or buying a top cover for the enclosure, or switching to mercury vapor for both light and UV.
>>
>>3989632
1. Rackniggers only care about profits
2. Politicians don't know jack about animal welfare, and don't care. Even if they did animals like pugs, bulldogs, persians, scottish folds etc would get noticed first
>>
>>3989632
>more restrictions
No.
>>
>>3989632
Post age
>>
Here's a question: do you think the coof helped or hurt the reptile hobby in the long run?
>people bored at home so pet purchases have gone up
>but that means more people that actually did the research and did it right AND more people that didnt
>fucked small business, so it damaged or outright killed decent mom and pop shops that knew what they were doing, but also probably nuked the shitty ones too, and is also causing racknigger breeders to scale down production as well since expos were shuttered for a whole year
>>
>>3989185
what's going on here genetically?
>>
>>3989813
Oh, they do 2-in-1s? Maybe that's what I need, then, and also getting a timer system for that. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>3988061
Thinking about buying a leopard gecko or a crested gecko, did a lot of research the last few days
>crested gecko
>pros: no need for too many insect feeders
>cons: can drop their tails, double the price of crested geckos in my area
>leopard geckos
>pros:can regrow tails if dropped
>cons: a lot of insects

What are some easy ways to have enough insects for my leopard gecko to eat? Can they eat worms that people use for fishing? What is a good variety of insects to have?
>>
>>3989822
>restrictions mean MUH GUMMINT REGULASHINS NO STEP ON SNEK SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
he could just as easily mean "expos banning spider balls, like they do jaguar carptlet pythons and enigma leopard geckos," which I believe some actually do do.
Government regulation, especially for reptiles, is typically done by people that have no idea what the fuck theyre doing and almost always end up fucking regualr keepers rather than actually doing anything to fix the problem, but the actual private market can set restrictions of its own without having to resort to the law.
To that end I think people might be getting more aware of the racknigger issue - even nerd seems to have upgraded their shit recently, and have decided to scale down production, and theyre one of the worst offenders.
>>
>>3989846
Yep, they even have combo lamp hangers so you can suspend both off of one rig.
>>
>>3989849
Very nice. That solves my question entirely. Where would you recommend setting up the combo light and the CHE, relative to the whole cool-warm sides of the tank? And I'm guessing if the CHE should be used for ambient heat, that I'll want to keep it turned down some.
>>
>>3989847
Lots of keepers of insectivores keep a culture of insects as well. Dubia roaches are usually the most recommended
>multiple sizes as they develop so you can feed off babies then older roaches than adults
>dont fly, cant climb smooth surfaces, and dont breed unless it's rather warm so they wont infest your house
>considerably less spiky than your average roach so they're easier to eat for your critters
>easy as shit to find, my local petsmart's got them
Though you would want to occasionally offer some other bugs for varied dietary needs/enrichment/fun. Rainbowmealworms.net's got a ridiculous assorment of stuff you can try out, for example.
>>
>>3989853
I personally have it on the warm end, for obvious reasons, and then have the enclosure transition to cool/shady naturally, with ambient light from the room providing light in the remainder of the enclosure.
>>
File: IMG_20211126_110843.jpg (422 KB, 1080x1354)
422 KB
422 KB JPG
>>3989845
This, apparently
>>
>>3989632
>more restrictions
Yea fuck off and die
>>
>>3989853
i have uvb fluorescent and halogen on the left side, set on a 12-hour timer
then i have a che on a pid thermostat (set to the night's air temp) hung in the middle of the enclosure, with the probe a couple centimeters above ground level in the right side
>>
File: fresh rat.png (909 KB, 480x758)
909 KB
909 KB PNG
Unfrozen, fresh or live ?
>>
>>3989911
gonna go with fresh
>>
>>3989911
Are you asking which is best? Or to guess the picture
>>
>>3989915
Which one do /an/ prefer for their snakes.
>>
>>3989917
its either thawed or live for me, live is usually cleaner and cheaper where I live, but frozen is more convenient over time
>>
>>3989914
How do you kill yours?
>>
>>3989917
Frozen unless otherwise required
>>
>>3988932
I would suggest running your set up for at least 2 weeks before buying a snake, and making sure it will work. For a heat pad, you will also need a temp gun. A thermometer won't do you much good except to show you the ambient temperature, you have to be able to measure surface temps. When measuring the heating pad, measure inside the tub UNDERNEATH the bedding. Then set the thermostat until it hits around 90F. Don't worry about the temp on top of the bedding, or you risk it being hot enough to burn underneath. Make sure the room temp the cage is in is 75-80F as the heat pad won't efficiently raise ambient temps.

Make sure the thermostat probe for the mat is OUTSIDE the tub, in between the mat and the bottom of the tub or taped to the pad without anything touching the probe itself. Heat tape might be better here, as it can easily be removed without ruining it.

Personally, ambient heat is superior, though humidity might be trickier just starting out until you get the hang of it. Tubs can easily be modified to hold a lamp with a CHE, DHP, or halogen (this will require a timer as well as a dimming thermostat though - you don't want ON/OFF or pulse proportional for lights).
>>
>>3989911
Frozen/thawed. Fresh if I happen to cull rats when it's feeding day, but I don't do that often so I keep rotating through stock in the freezer.

I will never again feed live, I care too much about my snakes.

Idk if that's your snake, but looks really dehydrated, not surprising considering the tank.
>>
>>3990101
Probably an austist question but what you are saying is go off the temp gun at the end of the day, so even if the thermostat probe reads 92 its fine as long as the in-tub bare floor temp reads 90? I actually got one of the sterilite tubs(24x16x7), heat mat(8x12),sphagnum moss&cypress mulch. I have the wifi inkbird thermostat as well as 3 hides and therm/hygrometer, on the way from amazon and i’ll probably go look at one of those Infrared heater/humidifiers on top of all that since the tarantulas would appreciate that too. Is there anything i’m forgetting or fucking up?
>>
>>3990176
keep in mind that cypress is gonna dry out a bit so you'll likely need to spray the enclsoure down with water a lot.like A LOT. like, get one of pic related. humidity is a big deal with balls, and they like it pretty warm so that means a lot of evaporation.
>Is there anything i’m forgetting or fucking up?
Apart from the tub? Ball pythons are semi-arboreal. Males diets in the wild consist of 72% birds, and they've been directly observed in the wild climbing trees to raid african gray parrot nests. Look into an enclosure with more vertical space and branches to climb on.around as soon as doing so is financially viable. Your snake WILL use it.
>>
>>3990197
I could 100% get something taller Im just having a hard time visualizing the actual length of the ball since i just have a picture and 200g weight to go off so im just looking at all the bins like well is this big enough etc etc. but i wouldnt mind going bigger since it lets me add more corkbark. Would it be a bad idea to add a pothos and springtails if i’m just using mulch? I suppose i could mix the mulch with more of a dirt substrate as well but i really want to get the snake before i get too crazy with the enclosure just to find out that the snake is bigger or smaller than i visualized.
Pic not really related but getting something nice with the corkbark and fake plants is fun i cant wait to get to the final enclosures with liveplants, isopods, springtails, and all that good stuff.
>>
>>3990203
I'd hold off until you can go full bioactive to do so. pothos can THRIVE in something as bare as a glass of tap water, but cypress is kinda loose and spiky so if you snake wants to investigate the pothos it'll definitely uproot it. I'd hold off on springtails too, they need a pretty moist environment and cypress dries out too fast to provide that with any regularity I found.
On the bright side you can use your old cypress mulch and sphagnum as an addition to the bioactive soil when you do so - that's what I did.
>>
>>3990212
Last question but what size hide would you recommend for this one? And also should i include a humid hide full time or just when they start to shed if im using the setup ive shown so far?
>>
>>3990235
120cmx60x100cm minimum
>>
>>3990235
if your humidity parameters are on point you should never need a humid hide.
>>
>>3990235
You're wasting money if you don't intent to breed that. Females always cost way more than males and the fact that she's het for clown is bumping the price.
>>
Does anyone here have a reputable leopard gecko breeder recommendation? Health is more important than a specific morph. Thanks in advance /an/
>>
>>3990176
Yup, the thermostat is made to control temps, not measure them. You just use the temp gun to figure out where it needs to be set to reach desired temps, and then it should be able to work from there.

Like a space heater? Definitely get that on a thermostat as well. I have a quartz heater on an Inkbird, I just keep it on the lowest settings.

As mentioned here >>3990197, cypress isn't great for humidity either. Once cypress dries, it actively repels water, and that's on of the main functions it has a mulch. It holds moisture underneath it but doesn't release it fast enough to keep humidity up. Coconut products are better, coir or chips. Personally I prefer coir as it doesn't dry out as quickly as chips, but sometimes drying out quickly can be a good thing to prevent mold. In those cases, I normally mix the two rather than use chips on their own.

>>3990203
I start my boas out in 100-200 qt tubs, which are large enough for 4'-5.5' snakes and tall enough to offer climbing while still small. Once above 3.5'-4' it's a bit short, but enough to get off the ground at least.

>>3990257
Yup. Bedding kept damp through spraying or mixing water in like I do will naturally make the hides more humid anyways. I just add enough water to make it slightly damp but not wet.
>>
>>3989911
That really depends. I have a corn that can't kill something for shit and has had regurge problems so he gets a frozen mouse that's lanced to shit. My African house snakes are experts at killing. They'll get a live mouse if I have one at the right size otherwise frozen.
>>3990027
Nta but cervical dislocation
>>
>>3990350
>I prefer coir as it doesn't dry out as quickly as chips, but sometimes drying out quickly can be a good thing to prevent mold.
as far as I was aware coco chips/coir are mold resistant. Coir also tends to get a little dusty as it dries, but it IS also easy to rehydrate. I was using a cypress/coco coir mixture for a bit and found it held moisture quite a bit better than cypress on its own, but I also had to fluff the substrate pretty often to mix the damper stuff with the dry, and of course spray down often.
>>
>>3990393
I guess they are, but if they're kept wet/damp for longer than 2 weeks I tend to get mold. And yeah, the dustiness is why I prefer to use it for the tropical snakes only so I can keep it damp. I let it go through periods where it's dry for a few days to help further prevent mold.

Yeah, I used a mix of cypress and coco coir for my BRBs to help it dry out a bit quicker to prevent mold in the extreme humidity. It was alright but not something I prefer over coco chips/coir mix.
>>
Do you guys have really cool local pet stores with good herp shit? I live not far from one that's basically like a hidden gem. You would think it's just a generic supply store in the front, but they got all sorts of cool herps in the back. I walked in today for the first time in a while and I saw they had fucking carpet pythons, Kenyan sand boas, Cuban knight anoles, hognoses, firebelly toads. They even had a basilisk.
>>
>>3990403
Yes! Unfortunately it's all the way on the other side of the city. 45 minute drive and that's without traffic. I order stuff online from them more than I go in person. For a long time the city only had one herp specialty shop and it wasn't great. Then these guys opened up and dramatically improved access to a variety of animals and some supplies I had to order in before.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 225x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Is there any place in continental Europe that sells caudates? I've been to 10 pet shops so far and could only find Pacman frogs. Tried looking online and had no luck.
Any fellow euros can help me out?
>>
>>3990543
as stupid and unintuitive as it is, try facebook. you're not allowed to sell animals on facebook, but a great deal of dealers only have facebook sites for some insane reason.
also, after some cusory googling
>caudata.org/forums/for-sale-european-union.37/
it's deader than fuck but you might get some trail to follow to someone breeding.
>>
>>3990621
The Facebook idea was good, apparently there is a shop in the city where my parents like be that used to sell them last year. Fingers crossed
>>
whats getting bit by a snake feel like
>>
>>3990761
Kingsnake bites are just a pinch with a droplet of blood. They are just as shocked as you are when they detach. Not a big deal at all.
>>
>>3990761
If it's a small one, it's just sting like blackberry thorns.
If it's a 1,80M imperator boa, the pressure of the jaws is not a problem, but the long curved teeth, damm they hurt. Also they have corrosive saliva so it bleeds a lot.
>>
I posted this girl about couple months ago when I was having trouble getting her to feed. She has been eating lives no problem, but I’m confused about how often when to feed her I usually just wait till she’s moving around and that’s when I know she’s hungry. The last two feedings she ate two mice in one sitting, but her last feeding was seven days ago and she’s already moving around again should I go ahead and see if she’ll eat again? I already have two feeders on-hand I’m just worried about over feeding her as if I google feeding charts they all give different times. Pic is what she’s doing right now.
>>
>>3990761
Depends on the snake, a ball python or corn bite is less than a paper cut. Medium-large constrictors can do some serious damage though, this was a bite that severed a guy’s radial artery and it was just a <10 ft carpet python so you can imagine what a 20+ ft reticulated python could do
>>
Does anyone know a Madagascar ground boa breeder? So far the only one I've found was NERD.
>>
Got this young eastern blue tongue out of my yard today. Very lethargic, covered in stuck shed, dehydrated and missing toes with what looks like a couple necrotic ones. Gave him a soak, let’s see how he recovers
>>
Genius idea for breeder-

Take a big clutch of snake eggs.
Like 60 eggs.
Before they hatch, you sell them to a live streamer, for example: Mizkif.
You sell them for a reasonable price, neither of you know what will hatch so you don't know the real value. It's like opening a deck of pokemon cards. It's a gamble. You then hatch them live on stream. If he gets really cool babies, cool!!! If he doesn't, you make money.
But of course the streamer won't want all the babies, so he will sell the ones he doesnt want for half selling price back to you.
Good content, you get a plug, they get a cool snake & content, you also make money almost for sure.

Broskis, fr do this shit..
It would be cool af.
>>
>>3990920
There's enough profit driven animal breeding in the hobby already without having to put actual gambling into the equation
>>
>>3990906
Nice. Where do you live ? I want to know what locality it is.
>>
>>3990920
This sounds extremely retarded and the sort of thing a zoomer comes up with, and I can only hope you never ever become a breeder.
>>
>>3990920
You would need a 24 hour stream, snakes dont always hatch when you expect them to, and some eggs hatch days before others. Wouldn't be very exciting.
>>
>>3990842
How old is your BP and how much does she weigh? From the picture that looks like a fairly young juvenile so once a week should be okay still. Once she's over 300g you can space that out to once every ten days or so.
>>
>>3990875
What sort of Morelia did this ? They can be vicious sometime.
>>
>>3990920
No. I hate streamers and streamer culture. I'd sooner gas them all than contribute to morph autism like that
>>
>>3991063
My bad I forgot to add that she was born June and I got her the middle of July it initially took 8 weeks with me before she ate a live but then she ate regularly every week I also don’t handle her much unless I take her out to clean around. Pic is her last week’s feeding for size comparison I had to screenshot off my snap memories, but I only use snap send to vids to my buddy.
>>
>>3991107
Okay once a week is good for now. Recommend buying a gram scale so you can monitor her weight. Postal scales are the perfect size, cost about $20 on amazon.
>>
>>3991113
Sweet thanks anon ya I just ordered bigger scale now (all I got is a tiny one) and I wanted to get her a T8 enclosure I got a heat panel from pro products already, but do I need to get a better thermostat as the one I got was from amazon.
>>
>>3990761
for a smallish snake, a strike and release feels like getting slapped, then you're bleeding and feel the mild ache you sometimes get from small punctures.
A feeding bite from a colubrid like rat or kingsnakes feels like a spiky binder clip being attached to your finger. No fun but no big deal.
Hurts if they twist/adjust, but not badly. The puncture wound ache after they release is the worst part, because it's annoying and lasts a few hours.

Avoid getting bit by big-toothed snakes like large constrictors and tree boas/tree pythons.
>>
>>3991014
It’s the southern locale
>>
>>3991071
Carpet python, they usually start off pretty snappy as babies and calm down as they get bigger
>>
>>3991071
>>3991245
Coastal* carpet python
>>
No idea how they got down there, but are they gonna be okay? Should I mount a rescue mission? Put a short plastic straw down there for them to climb up?
>>
How hard is it to fix pyramiding?
>>
>>3991377
straw would work but I imagine they're quite capable of going back and forth. Probably just climb up the underside of the screen.
>>
>>3991388
there's a bit of gap in the corner, so they've likely got more than enough space, but I dont know if they're smart enough to realize that. I'll continue to monitor.
oddly this is the first I've seen more than one of this species in the enclosure, and I put in twice as many as the laevis orange.
>>
>>3991387
I dont think it ever really goes away per se, but proper diet and environmental parameters will very gradually reduce it.
>>
>>3991377
they migrated, not sure if it's deeper in or otherwise back into the soil, but I assume they can probably smell the different between "there's no food over here" and "there's food over here."
>>
File: 1630834012758.jpg (20 KB, 306x306)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>3991387
>no pyramid shell
>>
fellas at first my humidity in my corn snake tank was like 50% pretty solid,
now it keeps going to low 40's, like 41%
i know its alright for now
and i put a towel after showering on top of the terrarium which gets it back to 50% until it dries up

but what the fuck is misting? can i just get a spray bottle, fill it with water and then spray?
>>
>>3988061
Hello /herp/, I'm interested in emerald tree skins but I live in Europe but I can't find any breeder online (terraristik for example). The only seller I did find is interaquaristik.de but I don't know how good they are and if they sell captive bred skinks. I don't want to support selling wild caught reptiles.
Does anyone know other sites I can look at?
>>
>>3991790
this nigga watch clints reptiles
>>
>>3991750
>can i just get a spray bottle, fill it with water and then spray?
Yea, unless it's aspen, that'll just mold.
>>
>>3991856
yea its aspen

i think i'll keep a towel on top and spray it on the towel instead.
>>
>>3991387
It doesn't go away, but future growth won't continue the pyramiding.
>>
>>
>>3992054
>Corallus caninus
>neither a coral nor a canine
scientists, everyone
>>
Been out of the reptile game for around ~10 years and just getting back into it big time. I've been really, genuinely happy to see how the hobby has developed in that time and I hope to see further improvements as time goes on! Some stuff I noticed:
>bioactive terrariums are a huge trend now, and more beneficial to the animal
>less "folklore" type keeping is being touted as fact, more scientific-based keeping
>a push to encourage animals natural behaviors, including letting BPs climb
>more commonly using UVB with every reptile instead of just daytime baskers
>more variety of specialized breeders who have a handful (or even just one) species they really invest in
>a much higher population of keepers overall
>more stigma against rackfags

Some of these were starting to be more relevant when I left the hobby already but its rewarding to see they didn't get drowned out by the shady and oldschool people.
>>
>>3992075
>>more variety of specialized breeders who have a handful (or even just one) species they really invest in
I want to do this in the future but I can't even find the species I'm interested here in America
>>
I know you guys shit on owners keeping RES in 10 gallon tanks not knowing what they're doing, and I've found myself getting there. My two Turtles (one pinkie finger length) are growing an inch a day. I originally wanted to get a 30-50 gallon tank with accoutrements, but then I realized I have a kiddie pool that's literally not seeing any use. Should I go all in and make them an outdoor habitat? Would a small kiddie pool be able to house feeder fish? The only problem I can see is the the pool has a ramp like picrel, which may be a problem so I'm thinking of digging a hole and burring it so it's flush to the ground, but if there's a better solution please tell.
>>
File: Herp turtle pool.jpg (57 KB, 716x543)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>3992135
helps if it has a photo, retard
>>
>>3992135
Kiddie pools are thinly made and cheap. They'll eventually leak. Otherwise they'd be perfect.

I like stock tanks. A 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank is basically $100 and will last forever on turtle duty
>>
>>3992078
American really want to keep common green lizard in a box ?
>>
I'm watching this video about a really neat Bioactive tank, thought I would share.
https://youtu.be/79HApBgCdL0
>>
File: cagewholelg.jpg (244 KB, 800x600)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>3992159
They're not interesting to you because you're used to them
Anyways I'm making an outdoor enclosure right now and I found a guy in Ohio who breeds some Lacerta sp, so hopefully he'll have something cool ready for next year
>>
File: humanswtf.png (1.24 MB, 910x777)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>
>>3992422
Was the tort trying to dutch oven the dog?
>>
File: DSC_0088.jpg (309 KB, 2992x1688)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
First try at target training was a bit scary. I used a sponge on a stick as the target and when I put it in there with the mouse, she immediately latched onto the sponge. After letting go she lunged at my face before grabbing the mouse. She's a fucking psycho I tell you what.
>>
>>3992508
Keep going Anon. My ball python strikes like a maniac and it took a few weeks before she realised that it is not food.
>>
>>3989651
>>3989806
>>3989820
yea thats about what i expected
>>3989822
>>3989830
restriction only have a negative connotation for you retards because you have a shit government and arent able to see beyond that i refer you to this >>3989848 now stfu
>>
>>3990875
i seriously fucking doubt a carpet python did that
>>
>>3990875
>>3992650
nevermind fellas i found it, it was indeed a coastal carpet python
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10176427/Gruesome-moment-angry-2-7m-snake-slices-reptile-catchers-wrist-open-severs-artery.html
it gets him pretty fucking good man
>>
>>3991107
why do you not handle her? its pretty smart to do so to get them somewhat accustomed to you, at least thats my oppinion if its a fear of stressing it out then dont worry, dont have it out for more than 30 min at a time unless it seems relaxed and dont take it out everyday and youll be just fine
>>
>>3991807
as this nigga should
>>
>>3992645
Post government if you're scared to post age then
>>
>>3989106
literally gave my cat away after 2 days because of the litter lmao
>>
>>3992653
Well coastals are the largest Morelia, and on top of that semi arboreal so have some serious teeth
>>
anyone here kept antaresia childreni? i'm getting back into the hobby and was thinking of buying one
>>
One day I'll be able to house a monitor or a tegu. A whole dedicated room is the best bet, right?
>>
>>3992763
??? i am not talking about laws you dimwit
>>3992833
yea i know i just didnt come to think of them being capable of that sort of damage but i saw how it circled around his arm like a saw
>>
>>3992834
Do it. Based dirt snake nano pythons
>>
>>3992874
I accept your defeat
>>
>>3992135
It's doable but the other anon suggested a Rubbermaid tub. Go with that . We literally went through 3 tanks before I built a pond for my turtles. Those fuckers will outgrow tanks quickly.
>>
>>3992875
anything special i should think of? are males or females better?
>>
>>3992508
yeah i had that problem too, using a target designed for training cats. Red foam ball on a telescoping stick. My kingsnake had it halfway down his throat before I could get the alcohol to make him spit it out.
Lesson learned, use large hard plastic things for the target.
>>
>>3992841
for a monitor, yep. Tegus are less climby and inadvertently destructive than (big) monitors, so they do well with a smaller enclosure that's left open to give them free reign of a common area when people are home.
>>
>>3992971
Also Tegus are more comfortable with temps under 75 than Monitors are, so they're a better fit for typical room temp than your average monitor.
>>
Does anyone have any tips to get out hard water stains on tanks? Ive been using vinegar for a few hours and im barely making a dent
>>
>>3993178
Stronger acids. Wear gloves and eye protection.
>>
>>3993178
Sulfuric Acid
>>
File: turtle pool turtle pool.jpg (3.04 MB, 4160x3120)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB JPG
>>3992145
>>3992971
I'm not going to ignore your advice about the stock tub, but I went ahead and put them in for now, as their old tank has been uncomfortable for them for a while. There's plenty of hiding/basking spots, and they were shy initially but are swimming in it now. I tried feeding them their mealworm/shrimp mix and some chicken but they weren't interested. I also put in their little water heater from the old tank under the toy backboard wedged under one of the rocks on the left. The ramp is a non-issue, they can't get out. It's colder out here than inside and it's later in the day so I'm guessing they're not eating because of that.
>>
>>3993178
hydrochloric acid works, too. You can buy a diluted form as ph decreasing solution in the aquarium aisle.
>>
My gator was walking around our farm so we put him back in his pond. Most likely lost the feet from another gator
>>
Getting UVB for an Exo Terra 36"x18"x18" (90x45x45 for non-burgers). If anyone can answer this for me quickly, I'd appreciate it, but this is for a Western Hognose, and I just need to know if 20" (50cm) long is sufficient. I was reading that 1/2 to 2/3 the enclosure length is the standard, so I want to know if I can get away with a 20" (50cm) and use 18" (45cm) bulbs or if I absolutely need a 24" (60cm). Also, should I be using a 5% UVB or 10%? At least from the research I've been doing, I feel like I should shoot toward 5%.
>>
>>3993417
Yes 20 is fine, and I would do 5% for a hoggie.
>>
>>3992913
clearly american
>>
File: 1581974569841.gif (19 KB, 100x100)
19 KB
19 KB GIF
I'm thinking of getting a pet snake, and have heard that corn snakes & ball pythons are the simplest ones to start out with if you're interested. My only problem is that I used to have pet rats and really really really love rats, I don't want to feed them. :(
You can buy them frozen & your snakes will still eat those after you defrost them, right? I'm alright with that, or finding something else replaceable. I don't know how unwizard it would be to feed a snake a piece of raw meat as a treat, and I don't want to hurt these things if I get one.
What are some basic things that aren't talked about too much in these beginner videos? I know you need lighting, heating, avoiding using sand, and what not. Also please post pictures of your snakes. :)
>>
>>3993762
1. Yes, always buy frozen. Its safer for the snakes.
2. I think a ball python would do fine on chicks, but not as a baby. Dont know about a corn snake.
3. Use whole prey items. Snakes aren't really the kind of animals to be given 'treats', they eat every 1-4 weeks.
4. Much of the specifics would be species dependent, so that would depend on your selection.

Snakes are asleep so no pictures but Im white boa anon.
>>
>>3993762
>>3993799
Id recommend a corn over a ball for a first time reptile keeper, since ball pythons can sometimes be a little nore selective about what they eat, which can be stressful for newbies theyre already concerned about and less confident in the other aspects of their keeping.
Corns (and a lot of other commonly kept colubrids now that I think of it) are kind of the opposite in that respect - they might actually be TOO enthusiastic about food, which can lead to obesity. Their enclosure parameters are typically a bit easier too.
One thing I'd recommend is not to use the whole "aspen and a humid hide" method you'll see in a lot of videos/care guides, because it really doesnt make a great deal of sense logically, and I think may be one of thenlast stubborn holdovers from earlier, shittier keeping methods
>you have to manage a medium to medium-high humidity, in the 50% range
>but you fill the enclosure with a dessicant
>and you cant get the dessicant wet or it'll mold
>then you stick a box in the enclosure that's TOO humid for when your snake feels dried out, and/or soak them.
OR maybe just use a substrate that handles moisture better, like cypress or coco husk/fiber, you retards.
>>
>>3993799
>>3993807
ty so much anon, I appreciate the tips a whole bunch. <3
>>
>>3993818
Other anon recommended a corn and makes a good point but IMO just get whichever you think is cooler. I dont like the idea of getting a snake you aren't super sold on due to lack of confidence.If its tolerant to some mistakes its a good beginner snake
>>
do snakes like having their terrariums sorta empty or full of stuff
>>
>>3993822
Full of stuff. They can climb on the stuff and also hide behind/under the stuff, so it helps them feel more secure.
>>
>>3993822
Full of stuff. Even snakes that are primarily in plains in the wild prefer tall grass and brush to hide. Unless its like a sand boa or something always clutter.
>>
>>3993841
>>3993842
cool cool thanks because i ordered a lot of stuff and i dont wanna waste it
>>
I just saw the little snake I'm going to buy as I passed the pet store today and I'm gushing so bad. They're so super cute
>>
File: FB_IMG_1637180680384.jpg (271 KB, 1076x1017)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>3993822
The rule of thumb I've heard is "if they can make their way from one corner of the enclosure to the opposite corner without being seen, you have enough decoration."
Keep in mind theyre cryptic predators, who are themselves also prey, and not being seen means the stuff you eat and the stuff that eats YOU cant find you.
>>
>>3994024
I cant see the snake
>>
File: 1638307257423.jpg (520 KB, 1076x1016)
520 KB
520 KB JPG
>>3994033
Exactly.
>>
>>3993238
It's a good temporary fix, they need the room to move and they get direcr sunlight so that's that's plus. Res are very hardy, if it gets really cold outside then add a heater
>>
>>3994079
Nvm, just read the bit about the heater. >>3993238
Also turtles don't eat as much when it's cold. They tend to sleep alot in cold weather and bask when sunny
>>
>>3993807
Not anon but is there a way to kill any mites/pests from my substrate before i add it? As a followup question if i kill anything in the substrate then add springtails will it help against mites/gnats?
>>
>>3994137
you can heat it up in the oven to deal with some of it, but parasitic mites are rare in any substrate that doesn't come from a place that also keeps reptiles. If that's the case, provent-a-mite is what I'd use.
the big pest in topsoil is gonna be fungus gnats, and there's a biological agent you can use to eliminate those. It's a bacterium that attacks fly larvae, known as BTI, and one brand is called 'Mosquito bits'. Kills mosquito larvae too, and is harmless to everything else. You just mix it into water and give the substrate a soak.
Most of the critters that come in with soil are beneficial, so unless you have a reason to suspect parasitic mites I'd just treat for fungus gnats. Fungus gnat larvae are also pretty much guaranteed to come in with plants you get at nurseries or garden centers, so treat after planting those too.
>>
File: can_you_spot_the_snake.jpg (186 KB, 650x866)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>3994046
oooooh
>>
File: snake found.png (1.12 MB, 650x866)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>3994173
>>
I got my leo some hornworms and she doesn't even look at them like they are food.
>>
>>3994175
Thanks for the highlight. That is spectacular camouflage.
>>
>>3994361
My leo doesn't either, which pissed me off because they were pricy. I learned a valuable lesson about anthropomorphizing reptiles.
>>
File: chrome_u2wCmrFW2w.png (435 KB, 482x437)
435 KB
435 KB PNG
Where do you go to talk about reptiles and (post COVID maybe) meetup with other herp people other than here? I'm using some local facebook groups but they're kind of pathetic sometimes.

Pic related has been trying to sell this sad dehydrated tegu and its shitty cage for a month now.
>>
>>3994399
I didn't anthropomorphize; I just read that people usually have success with those.
>>
>>3994402
I never said you did, anon. I said *I* did, because I got them as a pricy and nutritious treat that ended up dying in its container because my gecko refused it.
>>
>>3994400
jesus christ, that looks like the inside of a cell at reptile guantanamo.
>>
>>3994458
Will the tegu tell me about the truths of Muhamed?
>>
>>3994400
>when all you’ve got is a normal but you need to make a few extra bucks on it
>>
>>3994461
>if you only knew how bad things really are.
>>
>>3993762
its not guaranteed that a ball python will eat frozen their notoriously picky
>>3993799 its not true that its safer for the snake, if you feed live prey just watch and itll be just as safe, of course the boa owner thinks that frozen always works lol.
>>3993807
listen to this guy
>>
File: 1581959378158.jpg (60 KB, 599x799)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>3994458
>>
>>3994619
Gotta wonder how tf anyone can think that’s fine
>>
Just copped a snake yesterday and set up this plastic tub as its bin. I'm moving into a bigger place in a couple of weeks, and once I'm set up there I plan on buying this nice glass terrarium that comes with a standing fake tree to give my buddy some verticality. I've only had this girl for a day and I already love it to death, it's surprisingly more affectionate than I thought a snake could be. :)
When I bought it the lady said that they tried feeding it on Sunday but it wouldn't eat. It was currently shedding, so she blamed it on that. I opened the bin today to check on it and saw that it had shed its skin!! I can't wait to get home and feed it, poor thing must be so hungry. :(
>>
File: snake box.jpg (2.16 MB, 4032x1908)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>3994723
Forgot pic. Seems a bit dreary, but it's just a temporary home...
>>
File: My snake.jpg (1.28 MB, 1904x3680)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>3994725
>>3994723
>>
>>3994615
>its not true that its safer for the snake,
That's objectively false. Dead feeder = 0 chance of injury, live feeder = non 0 chance.
>>
>>3994615
>encouraging live feeding
Fuck off. Even if you're watching, you don't have the reaction time to stop a mouse bite which could lead to infection and scarring. You get your sick kicks however you want to but don't go around spreading bullshit because of it. If you buy a bp from a good breeder, there's no problem with f/t feeding.
>>
>>3994615
>of course the boa owner thinks frozen always works
I also have a ball python you reprobate
>>
>>3994723
Give new snakes a week to acclimate to their environment before you feed them. They won't starve, normal feeding intervals for a baby are once a week anyway. And they can go a long time without eating in shed.

Also, don't use aspen.
>>
>>3994757
Aspen was the only substrate they had in stock in the store, I'm aiming to use cocoa fiber but had to order it online. Who knew petsmart would really be out of stock on things like that of all stuff lol.
>>
I will use aspen as my substrate and you will like it just like my snake will
>>
>>3994619
Drop the name OP I just wanna talk to him
>>
>>3994725
>>3994727
>Aspen
>ball python
Ruh roh raggy.
>>
Do snakes breath hard? When I was handling my snake it looked like it was chill with hanging out with me, but when it was laying between my chest I really noticed how much it was just breathing. Was I just over thinking it, or do snakes breath faster/harder when they're tired of hanging out with people?
>>
>>3994851
I know lizards cant run and breathe at the same time (except for monitors), so they'll hyperventilate before they need to exert a lot of energy (and also why they gas out so quickly if theyre being chased - theyre good for a quick burst then thats it).
Not sure if it's the same for snakes.
>>3994619
Regardless of the fact that I have zero context or background to the image, I still want to blame kevin mccurley. He gives his young monitors basically ZERO hide opportunities to eliminate the possibility of getting away from people, for "socialization" purposes.
>>
>>3994851
When they warm up, every part of their metabolism increases, including respiration.
>>
>>3994850
It could work with a humid hide to retreat to. There's a fair argument to be made that that kind of set up more closely reflects their natural habits.
>>
>>3994863
>He gives his young monitors basically ZERO hide opportunities to eliminate the possibility of getting away from people, for "socialization" purposes.
That sounds like the opposite of what he preaches about socialization. Number 1 thing is you can't force it.
>>
>>3994892
And yet here we are.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1638373182267.jpg (83 KB, 1080x1336)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>3989632
>>
>>3994732
Dead feeder = chance of bad meat
>>3994744
nigga dont let the mouse crawl over your snake bro what the fuck you mean, breeder dont matter i got my bp as a youngin
>>3994747
still a boa owner aint you
>>
>>3994900
I mean, there at least is a little cave there.
>>
>>3995041
>Dead feeder = chance of bad meat
With a f/T yea that's a non 0 chance. But you could Pre kill if you're worried.
>>
File: 1628117106659.png (84 KB, 245x316)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>3995041
>still a boa owner ain't you
Is this supposed to be some sort of 'gotcha?' Or are you saying my opinion is invalid despite having many different species because I own a boa?

Either way you're retarded
>>
File: 5290916.jpg (262 KB, 2000x2000)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
How do you get fake plants to look good in an enclosure? I get them out of the plastic wrap and they just look shitty, and they stay bunched up even if I try to spread them out.
>>
>>3995172
It should almost certainly be thermoplastic - give it a five or so minute soak in some water thats just cone to boil, retrieve, let it dangle in a more natural way/and or adjust to your preferred position, let it cool.
>>
>>3995172
Bubbles.
>>
>>3995196
I'll see about giving that a shot tomorrow, and hopefully I'll get some good results. I did have them soak in warm water before, but it sounds like I should have it way hotter if I want to be able to bend them about the way I want.
>>3995208
What do you mean?
>>
>>3995044
i gotta be real, no idea what a f/T is
>>3995049
>i also have a ball python you reprobate
Is this supposed to be some sort of 'gotcha?' Or are you saying your opinion is valid despite having a boa because you own a ball python?

Either way you're retarded
>>
>>3995399
>no idea what a f/T is
Oof.
>>
File: 1635984105550.jpg (191 KB, 499x499)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>3995399
>no idea what a f/T is
>'no u' rebuttal that doesn't even make sense

At this point Im not sure if this is bait or if you are genuinely room temperature IQ
>>
>>3995399
>no idea what a f/T is
female/Trans
>>
>>3995685
>female
>>
>>3995685
*faggot/Trans
Ftfy
>>
File: Sheltopusik2.jpg (924 KB, 1280x720)
924 KB
924 KB JPG
high quality posting today, lads.
>>
File: 8837298099_fde232c9e7_b.jpg (156 KB, 1023x678)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>3995988
One day I'll get the necessary permits and import a bunch of European herps to the US. Those faggots have held a monopoly over them for too long
>>
File: photo-2sgmra.jpg (64 KB, 750x450)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>3995991
So that's what herp keepers have in the head when they see a reptile?
I can't wait to put you in a box, feed you pellets/unfrozen mice, watch you turn in circle and go crazy, then breed you hoping to get a coooool morph to brag on social media and make tone of mony.
>>
>>3996132
What the fuck are you talking about?
European herps like lacertids are diurnal and aggressive, meaning you can only keep them outside in large enclosures else they kill each other. Don't project your shitty "all herp owners are LE BAD" meme on me, faggot.
>>
>>3995041
I raise my own feeders, cull them, and freeze them. They can last 6-8 months in the freezer without being vacuum-packed, at least 1 year vacuum packed as long as the seal remains intact. Even if you order online, unless you get from a shitty website like Rodent Pro, you know the rodents are fresh when you get them, and as long as you make sure to use them up within those time frames...the chance of "bad meat" is nearly zero, and only reason it would be bad is if the rat was sick. Which would be an issue live feeding as well; and don't forget the parasite risk of live feeding.

And that other anon is right, I've had my bp injured while I was standing right there. Two little bite marks at the base of his skull, and there was nothing I could do without either hurting the snake or getting myself bit by the rat in the process. This was during the wrap, so wouldn't matter if it had crawled over the snake or not.
>>
>>3996137
All herpers are bad. Anyone who owns a pet of any kind is bad. This is not debatable.
>>
>>3996158
Are houseplants okay?
>>
>>3996162
No
>>
>tripfag
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>3996158
I know it's useless arguing with retarded tripfaggers but there is a difference between rack breeders who treat animals like collectable pokemon cards vs people who makes large naturalistic enclosures because they like watching how the animal behaves naturally.
You can't find a single flaw with keeping a reptile in something like pic related.
>>
>>3996176
The idea that a human is playing God with other living creatures is horrifying and unbelievable evil. Effecting the lives of animals in any way shape or form is bad. Anyways, enjoy being a horrible human being I guess :/, if you feel like changing ur ways us normal human beings are ready to accept you.
>>
>>3996178
>normal humans
PETA faggots like you are not normal humans, I can say that with certainty.
>>
>>3996192
>plants
>creatures
I think we need to keep you in a rack and breed you for a few generations so maybe one of your offspring will have a higher IQ than you.
>>
>>3996196
kek, I just made a shallow joke, you're the one who seems to be coping and seething over it.
>>
Lads why are you responding to the b8 posts
>>
>>3996201
>the mere mention of racks is enough to drive you into defense mode, despite there being no other meaning behind it
This is funny, please keep going.
>>3996200
Starting to find this funny, honestly, but yes I should stop replying shortly.
>>
>>3996176
Feeders should get the same standard of enclosure and care.
>>
>>3996204
Why?
>>
File: 1624411611244.jpg (45 KB, 700x627)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>3996211
>D... did this Anon... just joke about racks? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I'M GOING FUCKING BERSERK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I MUST DEFEND BRIAN BARFSACK'S HONOR AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>3996158
So does Peta provide dilator or is is byod?
>>
>>3996206
Because they're also living things and in the case of rodents, smarter than most of the things they're fed too.
>>
>>3996219
>Because they're also living things
How is that relevant, especially when they're being bred explicitly to be dead things?
>and in the case of rodents, smarter than most of the things they're fed too.
Again, not very relevant when it's going to be euthanized soon enough.
>>
>>3996227
What's got your panties in a knot, anon? What's got you chasing boogeymen on this Thursday night?
>>
>>3996224
So it would be okay to keep feeder reptiles in racks?
>>
File: 1631304839009.jpg (16 KB, 239x239)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>3996231
>>
File: t_ornata.jpg (109 KB, 512x369)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Can a (captive bred) ornate box turtle live in a 40 gallon breeder indefinitely?

Male adults only get to about 4.5 inches in carapace length. I would add areas to the enclosure to climb on to help increase effective floor space and even let it roam my patio and apartment regularly for exercise.
>>
>>3996285
general rule of thumb for aquatic turtles is 10 gallons per inch of shell length, but with a terrestrial turtle (especially one that small) like 2/3 of the enclosure's vertical volume would be completely wasted. A torttoise table like pic related might be a better option.
>>
want a snake
don't know enough
won't get a snake
>>
>>3996394
Well, you could learn more.
>>
I want to try sleeping with my snake. I know they're not sociable so it's a stupid idea, but it's very cold where I live right now. They're fairly new to the place in my life, but they they're very clingy and explorative(?) around me when I've been handling them the past month. I don't have any real safety issues since I've snake proofed my room for them to freely slither around, and they've already pooped. Do you think it'd be fine if I just go to sleep with them laying on my stomach so they become accustomed to just hanging around me 24/7? I know for a fact I'm a heavy, still sleeper. People used to make fun of me for sleeping like a vampire and never moving....
>>
>>3996444
Yeah anon do it I can't see any possible reason why you shouldn't it sounds like you've really thought that through
>>
>>3996444
I can already predict what consequences will unfold, so I will tell you no, this is an astronomically retarded idea.
>>
>>3996444
Your snakes gonna size you up bro :)
>>
>>3996444
Why do you keep posting retarded shit? Just for yous?
>>
>>3996444
would be fun I think
>>
Has anyone had experience with underground reptiles? I've heard mixed reviews about them but there aren't any breeders for the kind of toas I wantm
>>
>>3996811
They're basically just a warehouse for mostly wild caught animals. You will receive your animal but don't be surprised if its sick.
>>
File: Triturus_marmoratus.jpg (277 KB, 1200x900)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
LEAVE OUR HERPS ALONE

They are endangered
>>
>>3996879
>They are endangered
That's the best argument to allow captive populations.
>>
>>3996922
t.NERD
>>
>>3996922
>domesticate everything until it becomes a faceless homogeneous mass of Tumblr neon colormorphs solely because you need to collect obscure lizard #33449
Exotic pet traders are scum and I can't wait until you go the route of the ivory trade
>>
>>3996977
This is the most retarded sentiment I've ever heard. Breeders of rare/uncommon reptiles are completely separate of morph breeders, in fact they often hate each other. Rare species breeders are generally very careful of inbreeding and do what they do out of a labor of love for the species.

To conflate the two shows you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. But sure, let's leave all the beautiful endangered lizards for China to chop up into extinction, you blithering moron.
>>
>>3996977
>NOOOOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T BE INTERESTED IN UNIQUE LIZARDS, YOU'RE ONLY ALLOWED TO KEEP INBRED BALL PYTHONS, BEARDED DRAGONS, LEOPARD GECKOS, AND NOTHING ELSE
Why are you faggots like this?
>>
>>3996977
So when are you going to go shitpost in some other general?
>>
>>3996973
It's a historical fact that encouraging captive populations works better for conservation than gov restrictions.
>>
>>3996999
>>3997001
It's that same dumb peta jew, just ignore and report
>>
>>3997012
How'd that work out for the Barbary Lion?
>>
>>3996977
Checked and true, when it's not a retarded morph it's a cooooool hybrid.
>>
>>3997012
Conservation work when you create preserved area, captive breeding for preservation only work if done by pro, not your local morph lover.
>>
>>3997033
stop samefagging
>>
File: 218.jpg (135 KB, 768x511)
135 KB
135 KB JPG
>>3997031
Lions aren't lizards
>>3997036
>captive breeding for preservation only work if done by pro
Reptiles aren't rocket science, they all follow the same basic routine of seasons change -> produce eggs -> mate -> lay eggs
Anybody can make an outdoor enclosure like pic related, throw a few of their native herps in there, and get a sustaining population that is in sync with your local climate, will breed naturally, and is safe from predators. Once bugs get established you don't even need to feed them
>>
Why are we getting raided by petafags bros
>>
>>3997043
Except a good portion of collector/breeders aren't doing it to conserve the species but for the attention/money owning an exotic animal brings. When was the last time you talked to a breeder/collector about the wild populations of the herps?
>>
>>3997048
Yeah, that's one of the problems I have with the reptile trade.
Another thing I hate is how they'll import herps, but instead of breeding them and establishing a captive population they'll just sell them immediately to someone who doesnt care about that. That's basically what happened to caecilians, once Brazil cut off exports they disappeared from the hobby because nobody bothered to breed them.
>>
>>3997059
That was a little specific, kinda sounds like projection to me.
>>
>>3997047
Probably got pissed off in some other thread related to reptiles and now wants to shit up /herp/ for whatever reason tickles their deranged head.
>>
>>3997033
>samefagging in 2021 the year of our lord
oof
>>
>>3997047
It's 1 or 2 at max. Report and ignore
>>
>>3997048
Ball breeding rack niggers aren't going to be the ones buying niche herps, so it's moot
>>
>>3997059
>you'd make social media channels and upload content of yourself doing it
That's zoomer projection if I've ever seen it.
>>
>>3997075
He's right. "zomg social media!" isn't the first thought of a mentally healthy person.
>>
>>3997053
Yeah I've pondered this issue before. I feel like breeders should get priority on imported animals. Of course the people bringing the animals out of their native countries don't give a shit who gets the animals as long as they get money, but considering how time and again wild caught animals do poorly compared to captive bred ones, there should be a streamlined process between the initial importations and a few years for proven breeders to get the ball rolling. Or else you'll just situations like the one you just described, where not enough people are breeding an animal and suddenly, the imports are cut off and we have no more because the only people buying them were people who have no inclination to breed them and likely won't even have them for long before health issues crop up.
>>
>>3997089
To amend at the end, or you have breeders import them, but there isn't really demand so they stop trying or maybe they're just difficult to breed and it's seemingly not worth the effort, and then next thing you know the import pipeline is closed off.
>>
If my tub is too humid should i drill more/make the holes bigger or wait for this forrest floor substrate to dry out more? I got like 86% right now and want to get about 60. The substrate came pretty damp but i want to get temps and humidity squared away before I get my snake.
>>
>>3997098
You could take top off and let it dry out a bit.
>>
My leopard gecko just died bros. He was like 20 or maybe more. Not sure how old he was when I got it but I've had him for at least 17 years and he wasn't a baby when I got him.
Not sure why he died. Could be parasites? Respiratory infection? He was breathing heavy for last days before death, But he didn't have any saliva or nose symptoms. Impaction? He did refuse food but I thought perhaps it's brumation time.
Or maybe other internal problems I don't know but I feel somewhat guilty for not seeing it in time and found him dead somewhat unexpected
>>
>>3997066
Might be the same one who started off the last herp snob thread by bitching
>>
>>3996184
Peta kills tons of animals every year, they do exactly what I just told you I despise you absolute fucking moron. How's living life being this stupid?
>>
>>3997001
>NOOOOOOO YOU CAN'T JUST USE LEGISLATION TO BLOCK ME FROM FUNDING THIRD WORLDERS TO PILLAGE THE ENVIRONMENT AND DESTROY ENDANGERED SPECIES, I NEED MY IVORY
>>3996999
>different strain bro
You'll never be able to have as big a gene pool as a wild species can have in its native environment. Fact. Seethe harder about it, ivory poacher.
>>
>>3997013
>>3997006
>>3997108
>there can't possibly be multiple people shitting on my autistic """hobby"""
I can't wait until legislation extincts your stupid fucking trade and you whine about it for three months on this board. I'll have a fat wank.
>>
>>3997120
>>3997124
>>3997126
Can you decide whether you're going to keep your trip on or not, you stupid faggot.
>>
>>3997127
see
>>3997126
You're arguing with multiple people, lunatic. Keep up that coping mechanism though, you worthless hobbyist.
>>
>>3997144
>three posts of the exact same nature within the span of a few minutes
Yeah I find it hard to believe you aren't just a samefagging retard who's been butthurt since the end of November.
>>
>>3997148
Why are you engaging with xir? Report and ignore.
>>
>>3997103
>somewhat unexpected
He was pretty old. You must have taken decent care of him.
>>
>>3997158
Reminder that announcing or inciting reports is a violation of global rule 7.
>>
>>3992994
>>3992834

I keep mine at about 40% humidity, 75 degrees on the cool end, 85 on the warm with a 90 degree hotspot inside a hide. water dish on the cool side to keep it from spiking humidity. I have never seen him bathe. They also need to climb, but they prefer rocky ledges and platforms to spindly branches. in the wild, they are known to hang from cave walls and stalactites to hunt bats. (pic related, but imagine some ledges for him to hang out on too)

They have a reputation for being angry, but I think that has to do with inadequate cover and hides and people expecting ball python levels of passiveness. He was a neglected rescue, and as soon as I covered his tank with stickers, added some climbing space, and replaced the aspen with layered paper towels he calmed down. He's never refused a meal, even when I had to switch him back to mice during lockdown, and the only time he ever bit me was simply my own mishap during feeding. I honestly think this is a better python for beginners than balls, both in

Female children's python's grow larger than males, other than that there is no difference. If you are outside of Australia you probably aren't going to be able to get morphs. Members of A. Stimsoni and A. Maculosa may be labeled as Childrens pythons because they were reclassified after Australia stopped all wildlife export. I've heard that all are fine species to keep, just make sure you know which one you're buying because the species can look very similar, especially as babies.
>>
>>3997126
I’m in a country where there already is plenty of legislation on it. You’ll be waiting a long time for that wank
>>
>>3997164
Global rule 7 covers announcing reports, not telling other people to report, illiterate mong.
>>
>>3997103
20 is exceptionally old for a leopard gecko. you did right by him, and it sounds like he passed peacefully. Sorry for your loss, anon
>>
>>3997124
>>3997126
What until you find out about fish keepers
>>
>>3997183
The peaceful part is what kind of worries me because I'm not sure. I've sat by him the night before he died. He was kind of "restless" and weird breathing. When he sat still for some time I thought maybe he calmed down a bit and I went to sleep with the thought of to maybe go see a vet for perhaps some respiratory problems or something. But when I woke up he laid dead on the cooler side of the tank. I really hope he went peaceful and not of some internal bleeding from parasites / impaction or choking from respiratory failure.
But all the old creatures never really go peacefully go they?
>>
>>3997206
>But all the old creatures never really go peacefully go they

unfortunately you're right about this one. all of the other things you described would've had a lot longer of a wasting away period and/or been a lot more violent and sudden, with other physical signs. Hell, even cancer is known to cause more pain in creatures that old.
>>
>>3997098
humidity is always going to spike when you dump a bunch of humid stuff into the enclosure. let it sit a day or so to stabilize and then see whats what.
>>
File: thread thread.webm (299 KB, 726x324)
299 KB
299 KB WEBM
>>3997108
apropos of nothing, i just thought this was interesting.
>>
>>3997243
I was trying to figure out what you were highlighting for a moment until I saw. Pretty odd coincidence.
>>
>>3997243
What am I looking at
>>
>>3997250
The word "thread" in the original post and the hover post are in the exact same position.
>>
>>3997321
Not your personal army.
>>
“We got a blue tree monitor for our zoo”
>holds up juvenile nile monitor
“They don’t get big like nile monitors”

Bet they weren’t happy when they read all the comments telling them what it was, if they hadn’t they would’ve been in for a surprise once it grows to 6 ft and starts trying to attack everyone
https://youtu.be/mmR273jJ4vQ
>>
>>3997558
>holds up juvenile nile monitor
Holy shit is it really? I thought it didn't look very blue, but assumed it was the camera/state of neglect
>>
>>3997558
How the fuck can you mix up a nile monitor with a species from the prasinus complex lmao. That meaty tail alone should be a dead giveaway that it's not a tree monitor.
>>
>>3997558
>>3997591
kek, same thing with me, thought it didn't quite look right but assumed it must have been something with the camera
Seems like they're shitting their pants a little bit at this turn of events because they're going to have to appropriate their anaconda's enclosure.
>>
>>3997716
Lmaooo I wonder if they make another vid about it.
>>
File: image-50.png (1.07 MB, 823x694)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
>>3997716
Lol lmao
>>
>>3997673
Not to mention what kind of crackhead would leave a $3500 Blue Tree Monitor in an apartment when they got evicted? A $60 Nile, no problem.
>>
>>3997879
They even mentioned this in their vid, but we're just like "huh weird, oh well"
>>
>>3997558
>>3997673
>>3997874
>>3997881
I think that what happened is that they got a tip, they got excited, and they forgot to do much critical thinking. Its the epitome of not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm actually excited to see them take care of a Nile, because Nile monitors kind of tend to get the shit end of the stick (being a cheap monitor). Not quite such a shit end as a Savanna, but still. And while their care isn't perfect for everything, I think that they do an excellent job on average, and Nile Monitors need a high profile someone who makes a strong effort to care for them properly.
>>
>>3988061
>>3988061
New >>3997982

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.