[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Anyone here raise an orphaned baby mouse? This guy seems like he's about two weeks old, I can barely get him to eat and he hasn't gone to the bathroom in three days since I found him.

Wat do?
>>
>>3924760
Is it hydrocephalic? Will die soon if so.
If not put it in a plastic box with shredded paper and a toilet paper tube.
>>
>>3924760
I had a baby squirrel, my be similar. I had to rub its genitals witha wet qtip to get it to pee. You should feed it with puppy formula from a syringe. Let me give you this link to squirrel care
>>
>>3924776
Shit i dont have it, anyways just google it
>>
>>3924760
Rub its crotch and lower belly in little circles with a paper towel or something. A warm moist rag works better. Like you’re giving it a massage.
>>
>>3924760

Kitten milk replacement. Puppy replacement milk is too thick and cannot be digested. Press too hard on the bottle and the mouse will inhale the milk, start choking, and probably die. Feed every 3 to 4 hours. Raise it by hand. You'll have to raise it in captivity for the rest of its life. Babies will have milk bellies, which is white bellies with somewhat see through translucent skin where you see the actual milk in the belly. This means the baby is being fed. Monitor the weight. Fast weight drops are dangerous and they need to be fed immediately if you notice them or if they lose the milk belly. When it starts to jump around and run a lot it will be growing well. .05cc of milk per gram of body weight per feeding. After feeding, gently soak the external part of the anus with a warm water soaked q-tip. The baby likely cannot defecate properly on its own yet. This will help. If you do not do this, it will die if it becomes backed up. If it does not defecate after a couple minutes, let it rest and relax half an hour and try again. At a month old start feeding him solids. Right now I would recommend getting him to defecate. Hes not eating because hes likely backed up. At a month give it a water bottle as well and try to teach it to use it if it isnt already doing this naturally. Good luck. Being a mother is hard.
>>
>>3924776
Yeah I've tried the Q-tip thing several times both before and after feeding to no effect.

>>3924773
His head looks normal.
>>
>>3924784
>You'll have to raise it in captivity for the rest of its life.

Dang, I wanted to set him free as soon as he could eat solid food.

How long do I do the q-tip thing for? I'd been doing it for about 10 or 15 seconds with stroking motions from his lower belly to his wiener to his ass. Should I just be pressing the q-tip on his ass? If so, for how long? And to my knowledge he hasn't urinated yet either.

For the record, he is somewhat active, exploring his container and sometimes scratching at the corners, but he's very clumsy when he walks. His eyes are totally open and were open when I found him. When I found him three days ago he was totally catatonic.
>>
>>3924802

Ass. He should just urinate naturally eventually. Their eyes open at about 2 weeks so at least thats a sign that development isnt too hindered. Stroke like that a couple times as you go and rub his stomach a couple times. Repeat for a little while and replace the q tip every few minutes or so. As soon as you can, get that kitten milk replacement and a feeding syringe. Its probably safe to take him in the car with you but I would leave him home as long as its quick.
>>
>>3924819
Thanks, he pooped on my gloved hand just a little while ago. He's still hardly interested in the kitten formula paint brush though.
>>
>>3924837
try whole goat milk
>>
>>3924837

I don't know what to say. I just forcefeed and it works fine. Maybe if he still doesnt like it in a couple days you can switch to puppy milk replacement . I switch on week 3 for the last couple days just to boost it up before I switch to solid foods so that the mouse gets a boost of nutrients and its stomach is a little closer to being able to digest the solid foods.
>>
>>3924843
Force feed as in force the syringe down while its in his mouth? If he's not eating much tomorrow I'll try that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNX2byHbppM&list=PLIxj-hHVU0wJJq40wp6TOs2tEO05H98pp&ab_channel=CreekValleyCritters
>>
>>3924760
Unless you timestamp yourself swallowing it whole while singing the US National Anthem you're a sissie numale cuck who doesn't understand Rules of Nature
>t. trad
>>
>>3924895
Look at timestamp 1:30 on that video. See how enthusiastically the mouse eats? How can I get my guy to do that? If I annoy him with the paint brush for 5 minutes I'll be lucky if he nurses on it for 10 seconds.

Could a different formula or a switch to goat milk really make that big of a difference? I'm incredulous that he's picky with food.
>>
>>3924760
Just feed it to a cat.
>>
File: 1622956812219.png (88 KB, 568x548)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>
File: mousey.jpg (642 KB, 998x4209)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
Perfect time to share this
>>
>>3924931
Kill yourself
>>
>>3924784
> t. Knowledgeable animal mom.
>>
>>3925482
wholesome to a certain extent

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.