[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>tfw no emotional support komodo dragon
>>
>>3920831
Twf no salmonella
>>
>>3920831
I wish I knew comfort like this. To be able to understand and sympathize with another creature. To just chill and be comfy.
>>
>>3920922
Is this a bot post? You've never held a cat or a dog?
>>
>>3920926
He wants to fuck a monitor lizard anon
>>
>>3920926
The closest thing I've had to that is my parents cat, and he's literally retarded even by cat standards. He demands entry to me room at night, which I'm fine with and let him in, I shut to door, but don't latch it. Then within a matter of minutes he wants out and can't figure out how to to open the not latched door. He tried to headbutt it open, but when that doesn't work he just sits there and complains until I walk over and open the door fully for him.
>>
>>3920935
He isnt retarded, he just see you as a butler.
>>
>>3920831
I'm pretty sure that's an Asian Water Monitor, not a Komodo. You can get one for like $200, and then you'll have to give it a room in your house and spend probably that per month in light, heat, and water filtration for it. Feeding it frozen thawed pre-killed baby chicks is surprisingly affordable, but you should probably mix it up with fish and bugs and rodents too.
>>
>>3920931
And that's a based thing
>>
File: 1605080238329.jpg (247 KB, 1400x934)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>
>>3920831
>emotional support bites you
>next 12 hours
>killmepete.jpg
>>
>>3921046
I wish I had the space to keep one
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bno-qsnbUA

Im not gonna lie this seems pretty damn chill. I've followed this guy before, iirc big boy died some time ago. He also had a pretty graphic video of when he got bit by a different monitor he has. Very bloody. Hes also the same guy that has the video of him calling his lizards over like a dog which has millions and millions of views.
>>
>>3922182
In terms of graphic results of a monitor bite, Tom Crutchfeld's Blue Tail monitor (Varanus doreanus) bite is still tops for me. Clear evidence of a necrotic venom at work, and man do they have teeth. Tom's Croc monitor bite is probably tops for initial gore, but he kept having to have his hand opened up and debrided internally after Big Blue chewed him up.
>>
>>3922239
Also that blue tailed monitor really chewed into him, the croc monitor bite was just a quick snap and release. A bite from a doreanus is probably one of the next worst monitor bites you can get behind croc and lace monitors
>>
>>3920831
These things are aggressive.
>>
>>3922182
black throats have such awesome faces. a permanent expression "wellp, this is fine."
I'd love a blue tree monitor though. almost hard to believe something this cool looking exists.
>>
>>3920922
very huggable
>>
>>3920935
>He demands entry to me room at night
First mistake. Sometimes you have to ignore the fucker no matter how much noise he makes; because otherwise it becomes learned behavior to be a loud, annoying asshole. That doesn't mean you shouldn't let him in if he's polite.
>>
>>3923934
>I'd love a blue tree monitor though. almost hard to believe something this cool looking exists.
That whole species complex is amazing.
>>
File: 1588270380794.webm (2.99 MB, 404x720)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>>
>>3922846
Yeah, I was really taken by Beach's Scaley Beasts' Varanus chlorostigma Loki, and was sincerely a indicus complex monitor, but when I ran into that series of videos researching the various available varieties of that complex, it really made me reconsider jumping into that as a project.
>>
>>3925369
Lacies are so cool.

Hot take ahead:
Standard type looks better than Bell's Phase.
>>
>>3925376
Lacies are way more variable than people realise, just the normal phase ranges from almost entirely black to mostly bright yellow. Top tier monitor
>>
>>3923871
That species is almost as friendly as it gets
>>
>>3922239
>Tom Crutchfeld
He may be old, but that guy seems to play it loose and dangerous a lot.
>>
>>3925369
Lace monitor based monitor
>>
File: Spencers2.jpg (1.25 MB, 2000x1283)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
kino
>>
>>3920831
is it really a komodo dragon?
>>
>>3926286
it’s an asian water monitor, but you could do the same thing with a Komodo
>>
>>3926290
i saw and photographed and recorded asian water monitors in wild, they are amazing, however i havent tried catching any
>>
>>3926210
His risk normalization is through the roof, but that's what happens to a guy who's been working with these kinds of animals and surviving his own mistakes for 50 years. Safety is an intentional culture, people who just learn "safety" from their own mistakes tend to cut corners infinitely until their daily routine is on the knife edge of hazard and they are doing just the bare minimum to avoid repeating every mistake that ever got them hurt before.

I still respect the shit out of his knowledge, passion, and skill. I just would never follow his example.
>>
File: Nile monitor.jpg (2.44 MB, 3796x2530)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
Why do they have to be so big, ornery, and pretty?
>>
*mogs morphfags*
>>
>>3926512
because bigger is better
>>
>>3925369
The fucking claws mate
>>
>>3926210
He dost give a fuck
>>
>>3926518
Well he sets himself up as a role model to be emulated and give advice, so he SHOULD care.
>>
>>3920919
salmonella's a non-issue with non-aquatic reptiles. Just don't get their poop in your mouth.
It was a problem with kids that have pet turtles and handled them without washing their hands after. It's different for animals that don't swim in their toilet.
>>
File: monitors.webm (2.89 MB, 720x720)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB WEBM
>>
>>3926514
>... their teeth are remarkable even compared to other monitors in the doreanus (blue tail) monitor complex...
Beautiful animal, but no thanks.
>>
>>3920935
Show him how to pull it open himself. My cat couldn't figure out how to work her cat door until I showed her she could push it. Now she always pushes it with her paw first before putting her head through
>>
>>3922182
i wish those weren't so expensive to feed properly. Their diet's mostly invertebrates, and they eat a shitload of them.
Water monitors are the easiest bigguns to feed, do great on a mix of fish and poultry with some whole prey like rats and baby chickens (or whole adult chickens if you can get em).
I'm gonna be getting a tegu when my cats pass, not quite as awesome as a big monitor but a lot more reasonable and friendlier.
>>
>>3926530
Holy fuck I didn’t realise they had teeth like the mangrove monitor version of a croc monitor. This thing’s bite would probably be second only to croc and lace monitors
>>
File: 1574485240618.jpg (62 KB, 540x540)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>
>nobody has posted the most king monitor yet
>>
>>3926807
Frankly, I'd rather get bit by a Lacey. A Lacey might be less reluctant to bite though.
>>3926524
Many of the coolest monitors are semi-aquatic, and many use projectile shitting as a defensive strategy, so you should probably wash your hands before eating anyways, even if the threat is smaller than the threat from a RES in a 20 gallon with no filter.
>>
>>3926282
>hmm indertesting
>>
>>3926812
Lace monitor teeth are pretty similar to yuwonoi proportionally but just on a way bigger animal. A bite from a small lace probably wouldn’t be too bad but a big one will do damage on par with a croc monitor
>>
>>3926847
Doreanus complex monitors aren't that much smaller than Laceys, 15 kg isn't unusual, and Doreanus complex monitors are proven to have necrotizing venom.

For me, I just feel that a Lacey is more likely to tag you than a Doreanus, but that a blue tail monitor bite is more likely to be life changing, and I guess I'm pretty much just assuming that Tricolors have a similar temperment and size because specific information isn't exactly as well documented as the more common blue tail.

Obvs neither is an Akie.
>>
>>3926856
If 15 kg isn’t unusual for doreanus complex then they’d be some of the biggest monitors out there. If it’s true then that’s pretty fucking cool, even perenties and croc monitors are usually less than 10kg as adults. Largest doreanus I’ve heard of is 5.5ft and yuwonoi seem like they’re similar size if not smaller. Laces can get nearly 7ft and are a lot more robust, but even 10 kg is big for a wild lace. That colossal bells phase posted earlier would be an exception though, that thing’s probably 20kg or more. Apparently it killed and swallowed an adult female lace it was being paired with, wouldn’t want to see a bite from that fucker

Either way people have died from bengal monitor bites and they’ve got tiny teeth so I doubt it’d make a difference whether it was a yuwonoi or a similar sized lace
>>
>>3926908
Big Blue, Tom Crutchfeld's doreanus that bit him, is something like 17 kilos, but he's a big stud breeder. The Mangrove complex, and the doreanus complex inside the Mangrove complex, seems to be darkhorse big, if you know what I mean. Lots and lots of research claimed they were 3 foot animals, but the more you look you find that as people managed to keep them longer and longer, a 4 foot animal went from being exceptionally large to being fairly normal for a long term captive, and 5 foot animals went from unheard of to being merely exceptional. A 5 foot Mangrove complex animal is often a 15 kilo lizard. I've got no idea if they can be found at that size in the wild, but in captivity, it's the lizard you need to plan for if you're keeping anything in the species complex.
>>
>>3926936
I imagine if doreanus are going from like 5kg in the wild to 15 in captivity then that’s probably why that bells phase looks like it’s the size of a fucking black throat
>>
>>3922239
Is that this video anon?
>>
>>3926944
I dunno how pressured Lacies are in the wild, but most of the indicus complex is considered a pest across most of its range. I suspect the average breeding adult is no where near as well fed or as old as many of the captive animals in breeding programs.

It's a shame, a ~3 kilo animal was and is exactly what I want in a monitor , and I really find most of the indicus complex animals to be beautiful and compelling. I could still end up with an animal like that, but I just don't want the risk of having to rehome a fluke big animal after I grow him all the way out and I just can't give him enough space.

There seems to be a gap, at least in the pet trade, right around what would be suitable for the largest enclosure I could do, so I'm probably going to eventually end up with 1.1 or 1.2 peacock or prasinus complex monitors in a bigass display paludarium that would have been a great home for a single Peachthroat or Solomon Island, if it had stayed at the lower end of their documented size.
>>
>>3926954
Looks right, I haven't rewatched it in quite a while.

That's not even the bad bit. The bit later when he's showing off how they had to flay his hand back open because the tissue inside his wound just kept dying back despite medical care and antibiotics was what got me.
>>
>>3926954
The lizard that gave this bite was apparently 6 lbs, so probably not the one mentioned earlier unless the weight was remembered wrong

>>3926961
I feel like the potency of Varanid venom is way understated, apparently some species can cause kidney failure. There’s a pretty gnarly pic of some necrosis and ballooning that occurred after what I’m pretty sure was a bengal monitor bite

>>3926960
Lacies are one of the least pressured monitors there is, they’re probably the most adaptable monitor. Being a protected species doesn’t hurt either

If you want a 3 kg animal and like indicus complex then I’d just get one, your chances of having a doreanus or indicus that’s not overweight pass 5 or 6 kg are pretty low and having one over 15 kg virtually 0
>>
>>3926967
>the weight was remembered wrong
As the rememberer, entirely possible
>>
>>3926968
the sizes of monitor lizards are so fucking confusing anyway. I was trying to find a max size for perenties with an actual source and it was complete ass, there’s enough studies showing how big the animals involved were but they’re always like 3-6 kg individuals. Same goes for trying to find a max weight for black throats that doesn’t involve an obese captive animal
>>
File: 1605245991000.webm (2.98 MB, 1280x720)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>
>>3926305
Speaking of, I just noticed that he put out a new video two weeks ago. In part of it, he hand feeds a wild collected adult male croc monitor that was less than 18 months from his date of collection.
>>
File: 1594232035996.webm (2.93 MB, 404x720)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB WEBM
>>
>>3920831
So what is stopping someone from releasing them into the wild in australia? We gotta save them as they are now endangered. Australia is perfect for them. The native fauna would coexist well enough considering they coexisted with the massive megalania. But invasives, particularly the ones with hooves, would stand no defense against the mighty heroic dragon that is a hero to us all.
>>
>>3928653
This is actually a pretty interesting discussion when you dig deeper into it. First and most importantly Komodo dragons actually used to live in Australia, that’s where they first evolved. Second of all the tropical Savannahs and open forests in some of the northern areas would be great for them, the biggest issue they’d face would be extremely high mortality rates and competition from other monitors while the komodos are small.

They probably wouldn’t do much to impact native species because they’re all already well equipped to handle big monitors, but at the same time if the dragons can’t dent the populations of deer and pigs on Komodo island there’s probably not much hope of a much smaller population of dragons controlling a much higher number of invasive hoofed animals over a much bigger area

I think they should fence off a big area and release a few like they’ve done with the Tasmanian devils to see what happens
>>
>>3928653
>>3928711
Blahblahblah some bullshit about native species blahblahblah the Greens care more about DUDE WEED LMAO than they do animals, unless someone proposes backburning so we don't have half a state burn down and then its BUT THE KOALAS THO!
>>
Why are Varanids so wonderful? All lizards are great, but monitor lizards are uniquely charming for reasons I can't put my finger on.
>>
>>3928717
Keep the greens out of the cool monitor thread
>>
File: 1577122627891.webm (2.9 MB, 720x406)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB WEBM
>>3928729
they seem more "lively" than other lizards
>>
>>3928729
Higher intelligence + higher metabolism = more aware and more interactive lizard
>>
>>3928787
counterpoint: more expensive to feed, more horrendous smelling lizard shits.
>>
>>3928788
Didn’t say they were good pet lizards perfect in every way, just mentioned what makes them more interesting than most other species
>>
>>3928729
it's the "snake with legs" feel they've got going on + the obvious (relative) closeness to mammalian behavior
>>
File: zxmnasd.jpg (18 KB, 480x360)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>3926524
>>
>>3928616
BEHOLD
>>
Can’t believe only one pic of the coolest monitor has been posted so far
>>
>>3929212
is it an australian one?
>>
>>3928739
CUTE!
>>
File: 1631981229864.jpg (103 KB, 640x640)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>3929216
Yeah, that's a Perentie. I'm more partial to the Micronesian Indicus complex, and the Doreanus complex within the Indicus complex. This is Varanus yuwonoi.
>>
>>3929216
It’s a perentie, which is basically a Komodo that decided to be fast. They’re the fastest reptiles and are the only monitors other than komodos that hunt prey close to their own size
>>
>>3926972
Lace Monitors get pretty chonky, I've got one near my house that comes around every spring to nom on the bird eggs in a couple of large gum trees. He'd be about 1.7 to 1.8m long and somewhere around 12-14kg at a guess, very big animal. Perenties are about the same weight at their biggest I've ever seen out in the bush, I think they can get over 2m long but they're a much leaner built animal, more long legs and tail than the Lace.
Neither of them are exactly 'good' pets you'd want running around your house or backyard, they'd clean up any cat and yippydog problems in the neighbourhood though.
The Sand Goanna would probably be a little better as they're not nearly as big, good luck catching one, they're extremely quick
>>
>>3930132
Lace monitors are probably one of only two pet monitors that could easily kill you with a well placed bite along with croc monitors. You’re right they’re not exactly a good pet.

Perenties are completely unavailable as pets basically everywhere outside Australia, and even then they’re illegal in some states
>>
>>3930190
They are a powerful animal, while the tail carries a lot of fat the rest is muscle and tough skin with some big fuck off, sharp as sin claws about an inch long. Even without the teeth sinking in, (which are a nightmare in of themselves) if they get scared or feel threatened their instinct is to 'climb a tree' and they're not exactly picky about what constitutes a tree in the mind of a big old lizard- so more than a few people have had one panic climb them and get ripped to shreds.
As far as I know, they aren't allowed to be exported so if any end up outside the country its likely to be via a blackmarket source
Don't really know if you can keep them as a pet in Australia unless there's some loophole or you just have a desire to get potentially wrecked and give the doctors in outpatients a novelty set of injuries
>>
>>3929239
wow
it looks like a morph created due to selective breeding, not a wild animal
>>
>>3928653
>>3928717
You guys are so low iq it hurts

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.