[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cottonmouth.jpg (90 KB, 500x300)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Why is it that no one is able to show on video that they chase you?
>>
what?
>>
>>3872476
He is asking why there is no video footage of venomous snakes chasing humans
>>
>>3872477
No I'm not
>>
>>3872472
Because I was more worried about getting the fuck out of its way instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket.
It's not like a bear that will chase you for a mile. They do 10-15 feet and once you've backed off and they have room they take off into the brush. It's a very brief encounter.

>>3872477
It's not venomous snakes. Just water moccasins.
Rattlesnakes just coil up or straight out ignore humans. Corral snakes bolt as soon as they notice you. Copperheads just lay perfectly still and rely on their grade A+ camouflage.
But cottonmouths are dicks and will move aggressively towards an animal it feels is a threat. Normally that's a coyote or bobcat. And since a cottonmouth spends 99% of its life in water or on shore, they're rarely caught out in the open where they use this defense.

Hey OP, go find a video of a rattlesnake vs kingsnake.
>>
Because they don't, they just don't give a fuck if you're in their way or not, they're going the direction they want to go in, and a lot of people think "oh, excuse me lemme sssssqueeze past ya" means they chase you and are aggressive or w/e.
>>
>>3872568
Another victim of southern hick yokel propaganda. like >>3872569 said, they're just trying to GTFO and if you're in the way, they'll slither by you.

They're curious, which is why they sometimes climb into canoes and shit. Snakes lack the capacity for aggression and are very, very stupid. Cottonmouths have never chased you.

I can't find the study, but a herpetologist did a study where he basically stood on and around Cottons and never got chased. One even ran over his shoe, but never bit or "chased" him. They're just scared. Even if they can get a bite off, they know they're gonna die.
>>
>>3872472
Because they don't and people are retarded.
>>
>>3872553
Made me smile.
>>
>>3872591
$20 says this moron has posted "it's the owner, not the breed!" In a pitbull thread.
>>
File: 1625955798035.png (547 KB, 680x633)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>>3872717
If I wanted a freezing cold midwit take I'd be on Facebook
>>
>>3872717
I fucking hate pitbulls you inbred dad fucker. I just love snakes and hate the bubbas just indiscriminately murdering snakes just "cuz they looked at me wrong!"
>>
File: cottony.jpg (2.91 MB, 3000x1500)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>3872568
I live in Cottonmouth central and often ride my bike down a nature trail that cuts right through swampland. At the height of my riding frequency, I saw Cottonmouths at least 3 times a week, and I would often stop my bike to watch them as they slithered across the bike path. I've gotten plenty close to them as they tend to just park their butts somewhere on the path and don't move so I often have to ride past them. I've never been chased once, and stupidly I like to get close to them for pictures. The worst they do is false strikes before fucking off into the weeds.
>>
>>3872717
Retard. Not sure how you can link not believing in moronic normie hick myths and liking pitbulls, take your subarctic iq elsewhere.
>>
>>3872591
>herpetologist did a study
This is like Mythbusters not being able to duplicate something so they say it's debunked. They couldn't get a car to pogo off the driveshaft so they said it's a myth. I've personally seen it happen at the track.

Same thing here. But I didn't get a video so your tiny brain can't conceive of it happening because some 3rd year biology student posted on the internet that he couldn't get a cottonmouth to do it.
You will go nowhere in life because you can't function on your own.
>>
>>3872591
You don’t go outside. Cotton mouths and coach whips will both chase you. Cotton mouths are more likely to chase when near the the water line, and when broken up out of a mating ball. The real question is has anyone ever grabbed a cotton mouth by the tail and whipped it’s head off like a redneck Indiana Jones?
>there is a cotton mouth hidden in this photo.
>>
Aside from Black Mambas, I know not of snakes seeking trouble with humans or actively chasing them to kill them.
Most bites happens before he didn't notice them and approached too close.
>>
>>3872472
Because everyone that they've chased is dead.
>>
>>3872890
God darn coach whips are some sketchy little crackheads.
I've caught 6 foot western diamond back rattlesnakes by hand but I'll nope the fuck out if I see a coach whip.
>>
>>3872890
>>3872854

>source: dude just trust me

If I had a nickel for how many times retards online claim a cottonmouth chased them "BUT I DIDNT HAVE VIDEO", I'd be rich enough to buy this site and fucking nuke it.

Your evidence is literally "trust me bro, I seent it wit my eye-balls!" while there have been actual studies that detail snake behaviors. you're such a fucking disgrace.

Furthermore, fucking coachwhips? What's next, garter snakes? Coachwhips will fucking bolt from you.

Anyway, if we're going off of anecdotal evidence here, I've watched hours and hours of herping videos and never ever has a cottonmouth "chased" the guy filming. Literally never. Even when he was walking down a subtropical Mississippi creek with cottons everywhere, not a SINGLE ONE chased.

God damn you guys are full of shit.
>>
>>3873405
I mean even if they wanted to, their form isn't built to chase things, it's a ambush predator, best it can do is hiss and slither itself at a average speed. Not saying they are harmless, but they aren't chasing people to bite either.
>>
>>3873405
So you pretty much confirmed my point that you have never been around a cottonmouth in the wild. You are probably a godless yankee as well. I also think you are taking the term “chase” and giving a cartoon like image. When really they are just being defensive and aren’t afraid to back down so they charge forward a few body lengths mouth open. Coachwhips are different though as a kid we would catch one put it in a metal trash can and bang on it to piss it off. Then we would release it, and run then the coachwhip would chase one of you about 50ft. Please take your
>hours and hours of herping videos

And terrible spacing and go back to a subreddit that values the opinion of people with no real life experience. Also anyone found the moccasin yet?
>>
File: 1604081672369.jpg (39 KB, 680x476)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>3873436
First off, yes I have. Only two though.

Again, you're not even reinforcing your point... a snake being defensive =/= not the same as a chase as many people describe. I'm only using chase in the same way all of you yokels are. Many snakes get defensive, venomous and non-venomous alike. I've come across big ratsnakes and corn snakes and wow... they get defensive if you get close (and they even mock strike! wowee!)

So, you've confirmed that cottons are only being defensive (true, i agree), don't actually CHASE in the traditional sense of the term and that you fucking harassed coachwhips and pissed them off. So I haven't been wrong at all. Jesus christ.
>>
>>3872591
you mean this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=314N7xIeRR8
>>
>>3872717
unfair comparison, one is a very dangerous animal that will pursue you and the other doesn't even have legs
>>
>>3873461
You realize you are agreeing with me right, so you are wrong. I have never heard of a moccasin chasing you like a dog or a bull would across the pasture, but most snakes don’t cross a 30ft boundary to show you how defensive they are, but a cottonmouth will. I think it’s time for you turn off your computer go outside because trying to prove people wrong on the internet about snake behavior when you have ever seen two of the species is pretty high on the autism spectrum.
>>
File: 1623889936609.jpg (43 KB, 600x603)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>3873525
no dude, you're just wrong. i'm not the one abusing snakes and then calling them aggressive bruh

also >not an argument
>>
>>3873483
Nah it was a NKF vid. this one I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzo34UI5WY

from 4:30 has a decent amount of cottons, and disproves everyone's bullshit here
>>
File: 1626092148747.png (276 KB, 601x532)
276 KB
276 KB PNG
>>3873587
>>3873525
furthermore, at 6:00 a cotton faux-strikes and then, you guessed it, swims right fucking past them to get away.

It's a snake getting defensive then running away. A normal reaction of many scared animals. NOT CHASING!
>>
>>3873565
>No you’re wrong the argument:
>>
>snakes going out of their way, risking their lives and wasting their energetically expenisive venom just to spite some trekking faggot
Natural selection punishes reckless and stupid behaviour pretty harshly, any snake species that did this shit would clear itself out of existence.
>>
>>3873436
>Also anyone found the moccasin yet?
Kind of late, but lower left area? I see something dark and snakey in the grass.
>>
>>3872890
Worked frequently in Florida swampland and can state with 100% confidence that NO snake will "chase you". Rattlers, cottonmouths, even gators all try to avoid you.
>>
>>3873405
Reality
>news report of man who was attacked by a mountain lion while hiking in caifornia.
You
>that dude lied because he didn't get a video of it!!

You're a pathetic and small minded excuse of a human who cannot function on their own. You're the type that would burn a scientist at the stake for suggesting the earth is round because the majority said it was flat.
YouTube has become your God and the mere thought of questioning internet "facts" has become blasphemy, even when confronted by testimony of an individual that has experienced an event firsthand.

I explained the circumstances of when a cottonmouth chased me.
It happened.
Period.
You can accept that or continue living life with your head buried in the sand.
>>
>>3874467
I’m with this guy he is stating something obvious that even >>3873461 agreed with the circumstances. But by >>3873405 logic I would have to ask if >>3874328 has a video of him working in the Florida swampland with snakes and alligators I question his word because he failed to find the snake. I would post the picture of the snake after he came towards me about 15 feet mouth open, but the last time I posted a photo of a dead animal I got a three day ban.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.