[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 148 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

>>
explain
>>
>>3871937
extrapolate
>>
>>3871937
expand
>>
File: 5msh0198fla71.jpg (159 KB, 640x1138)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>3871946
Boomers are all extremely retarded and spend thousands spraying toxic chemicals and fucking with insects just to maintain a shitty green monocrop lawn
>>
File: DalekLawnMower.jpg (56 KB, 600x450)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>3871937
EXTERMINATE!!!!
>>
>the end of the boomer lawn
Oh yeah, I already keep seeing them. Soulless gravel yards.
The yards of millennials and zoomers who want to play their gaymen instead of mowing the yard couple times a year.
>>
>>3871991
This is either Las Vegas or somewhere in AZ. Both of those actually pay you to do this.
>>
>>3871991
Sorry your kids are going to put you in a home boomer. But this is what's going to happen to that nice green lawn of yours
>>
>>3872010
>this kills the boomer
>>
>>3872010
This is not better...all those plants still require watering jagoff. Now if you'd have put a couple saguaro cacti in there, I'd be cool, even a stupid ass survives the nuclear holocaust Yuca.
>>
File: cartman gfd.gif (288 KB, 320x240)
288 KB
288 KB GIF
>>3872010
> juniper bush
> mfw
>>
>>3872010
LMFAO
there used to be a boomer who lived on the corner. Guy waged a decades long, multigenerational battle trying the keep people from cutting the corner and stepping on his grass. His last solution involved of boulders, rose bushes, and a fence stretched across his yard starting right in the corner.
Whoever lives there now just went ahead and ripped up the grass and put gravel on the entire corner I see the rose bushes. Fences and boulders are gone so people can cut the corner and since it's not gravel it's fine
>>
File: xeric_lakewood_1.jpg (57 KB, 572x429)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>3872020
>Boomer thinks those various plants use as much water as turf
>>
The Jew fears the Urban Grassland
>>
>>3872027
meh, it's important to have boundaries (especially with property) in urban/suburban environments, don't be stupid anon.
>>
>>3872030
They don't, I'll give you that, and lol I'm not a boomer by any means, I was simply pointing out they still require watering, whereas what I suggested are built for low precipitation areas, the same places where gravel or lava rock lawns are popular because they're low maintenance ad and your city/county/state offers you a monetary incentive to do it to save water. You do have some desert dwelling plants there I believe (is that desert sage I see?), but the wildflowers will surely not thrive. You gravel will burn them down when it bakes in the sun.
>>
>>3872032
And that is why he would regularly get people doing donuts on his yard and other shit. He asked for it the way he would tell and cuss out kids who got too close. I remember when I was a kid and walked in front of his house how he would fly out of his garage like a fucking pitbull and stare me down until I finished walking by. He was the neighborhood grumpy old coot and I think it's funny that it took less than a year for the grass he spent decades meticulously caring for and defending to get ripped up and replaced with gravel
>>
>>3872039
It's disrespectful niggers like you that create people like him out of people who just want their property respected.
>>
>>3872035
Bro...
Those Colorado wildflowers will definitely thrive in Colorado
LMAO
I posted a pic of a standard xeriscape

https://www.cpr.org/2019/07/22/colorado-xeriscape-isnt-rock-cactus-sustainable-landscaping/
>>
Big time. Turf lawns usually don't look very good (at best they look boring, but not aesthetically bad, but that's really a best-case scenario).
But worst of all, I'm insanely allergic to turf grass. It's weird, I'm not that allergic to anything else, but holy shit grass fucks my shit right up. It's usually fine as long as I'm not touching it or walking on it while wearing shorts, but if someone is mowing their lawn I need to cross the street (and even that's not always enough).
>>
>>3872049
Sorry, didn't even to bother to google search. Just bullshitting right now til I need to go to sleep. Would work then.
>>
>>3872042
Okay boomer
LMFAO
>>
>>3872020
You so realize water usage is only one ofany reasons to tear out your lawn and replace it with other plants, especially flowering and fruit producing plants that sustain far more wildlife than mowed grass
>>
>>3871937
yes, if I wasn't poor as shit and somehow manage to afford a house, I would be paranoid about poisoning some undeserving critter with pesticides. Y8HXH
>>
>>3871991
Since you don't eat your grass I must point out that a boomer like you mowing your yard is wasting as much time as the zoomer who is playing vidya while you mow.
>>
>>3871991
Who has the time or money to waste on lawns anymore.
>>
File: grub-life-cycle1.jpg (92 KB, 670x349)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>3871937
Reminder that the American obsession with turf lawns is exactly the reason why japanese beetles will blanket the entire country causing billions in crop damage
>>
>>3872010

how am i supposed to play catch with my dog in the 2nd pic retard?
>>
File: images (3).jpg (9 KB, 272x185)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>3872071
>Playing catch with your dog in the front yard
>>
>>3871937
I made my first million off of a lawncare franchise. Our biggest demographic right now is Gen X and early Millennials.

It's not going away. We grow more and more each year
>>
>>3872069
But it's not though. Grubs will feed upon the roots of other grasses, including digitaria.
>>
>>3872076
No problem with that. To be honest if I had the money for my own house with lawn and all I'd totally spend some money on hiring guys who actually know about gardening until I learned enough to maintain it properly.
>>
>>3871991
What exactly is the productive or aesthetic value of maintaining a grass lawn, particularly one that requires frequent pesticide runs?
>>
>>3871991
before I go that route I'd just drop some mowbot on the lawn and let it do its thing. I hate gravel lawns.
>>
>>3872030
>>3872010
That looks like a lot of work to maintain. It’s nice but I don’t have the time to maintain that and I can’t afford a gardener to do the work for me.
>>
>>3872085
>don’t have the time
>can’t afford a gardener
There's a big problem and it's not your lawn
>>
>>3872082
Here's the secret. Depending on area of country/turfgrass, use a slow release granular fertilizer, 4-5 times a year. Crabgrass pre-emergent after snow/frost melts.
Broadleaf herbicide as needed.
Aerate and seed every fall with northern turfgrasses until lawn is thickened up. Keep the seed moist until germination. Water 3x daily, ten minutes each time.
High nitrogen/urea fertilizer before the first snow.
It's that easy. Only reason why companies like ours are in business is because we remember to do this shit at the right time so you don't have to. Most diy people fail because they aren't consistent/don't renovate in the fall. Best weed control there is is thick, healthy grass. If you're working with southern turf that is difficult to seed with (bermuda/st aug), then aeration is generally enough to entice tillers/rhyzomes to spread and fill in small bare/thin patches. For large bare patches, plug/sod as needed.
>>
Most inviting thing about a soft green lawn is to sit on or play on it with the family.
But this causes it to die and get brown spots, so the boomer more about aesthetics prevents this.
So the greenest nicest lawns belong to grouchy unhappy people afraid to have fun.
It is like getting a 4x4 offroad oriented truck and then working to keep it pristine looking.
Why?
>>
>>3872083
>sequesters carbon
>prevents erosion
>prevents runoff
>if you ever need to sell your house, you will have such an easier time selling
>>
>>3872081
Each yard is a privately owned sanctuary so eradication requires all property owners to cooperate.
There was a town who eradicated the beetles. The exterminators who were treating people's lawns for the grubs had to have armed security because of belligerent people property owners. The entire town is within a pest control district so if you move there you agree that they can fumigate your land anytime they need to control pests and some people still tried to stop them from treating yards
>>
i don't bother maintaining my front yard, i just let it turn into this
>>
>>3872085
I guess of going out there with a weed whacker a couple times a year and spot spraying any weeds with acetic acid a couple times a month too much work.

Actually beats mowing once a week, but yeah
>>
>>3872093
That is neat. Thanks!
>>
>>3872087
Yes it’s me. I’m a loser, my spouse can’t work, a kid is coming, I have dogs, and I have to work two jobs and extra shifts to keep on top of all of this bullshit. Planting a bunch of bushes like that to spite the boomers and save the planet is nice and all but some of us can’t keep up with the maintenance.
>>
>>3872083
It's basically just outdoor carpet for boomers
>>
>>3872103
Is that really all? I have serious doubts.
>>
>>3872102
I want to eat it
>>
>>3872102
My sinuses are feeling it.
>>
Honestly it is good to see people out doing something outdoors.

Gardening or playing with a lawn, digging, planting, nurturing and growing things, good for well being and staying balanced.
>>
>>3872111
Depends on the options you choose.
Here's this. The first step is the most important and is where you will include your desire for low maintenance into the plans.
I live across from a park and half of the area is xeric and receives almost no maintenance (I see some people who live in the neighborhood tending to parts of it in rare occasion)
Seriously though, weeds tend to take the most maintenance but if you use weed cloth under your mulch you just solved 90%

Just do some research using your desires and what you know about the yard from precipitation to shade. Once you start to figure out what plants you want to use you can research their care requirements. Each plant is different so some you can stick in the ground and never worry about again all the way to plants that need regular attention.

Also you'll see one of the principles of xeriscaping does include turf as part of it. Nothing wrong with a patch of turf in between, especially if it gets used. I think the issue most of us here see with lawns is having ba majority of your property dedicated to turf. Don't think I'm the only one who see a problem keeping the patches of.lawn that will be enjoyed.
>>
When I buy a place I'm pouring concrete in the yard and putting down astroturf. Fuck lawns and fuck their maintenance rackets
>>
>>3872135
You don't need concrete
I have a neighbor who astroturfed the front yard. Looks pretty ghetto but could be worse. I'm sure selecting the right plastic grass makes all the difference
>>
>>3872125
So I need to do a mini scientific environmental monitoring and scientific research to even determine what to plant and where to plant them, and that is assuming I even know what I am doing?
>>
>>3872157
You don't have to be that crazy with it. There's lists of suitable plants for your zone that are quick googles away. If you have a decent garden center nearby you can usually walk away with some suitable plants without knowing anything going in.

I doubt you'll be transforming an entire property in one go so far it's not too hard to plan the handful of plants you'll be including I'm the section of property you'll be scaping
>>
>>3872166
Is probably start with some native bushes in a corner.
>>
>>3872109
>How can I be a loser? I'm a wage slave!
>>
>>3872168
That's mind of the idea.
Chances are you'll find that there's a section of yard that just needs more water to stay green or areas that grass sometimes struggles like under trees. Areas like that will become prime candidates for a native bush or two and some wilfowers or whatever.
>>
>>3871991
this doesn't look that bad tbqh i get a kinda zen garden kinda vibe from it if they style it that way. what's wrong with gravel? mite get into this myself
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 700x467)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
this kills the boomer
>>
>>3872071
How the fuck would you play fetch in a yard that small? Unless you have some gay teacup Chihuahua
>>
>>3872205
My sister wants a house like this because she just wants to play video games /board games and not bother with stupid gardening. If people don’t like the outdoors and don’t like plants, there is no reason for them to create more work and expense for themselves by having gardens or lawns.
>>
>>3872020
actually the point of xeriscaping is to use native plants (or at least plants suited to the climate) so watering often isn't needed. I have literally never watered my yard and yet the plants thrive because they're from here.
It does still require maintenance, but mostly just pruning the shrubs and mowing the back (which is also primarily local 'weeds', but it stays green without dumping thousands of gallons of water on it every month).
>>
>>3871937
Say what you want, the grass helped cool the surrounding air. It's like nature's swamp cooler.

Hopefully the gen Z lawn isn't gravel or high maintenance monoculture.... unfortunately it's turning out to be the boomer lawn but mowed once in the spring and then allowed to die.
>>
File: 1617564380473.jpg (61 KB, 1206x723)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>3871991
>Keep off my gravel. I like cleaning my own rocks.
>>
>>3872171
Literal gorillas have better reading comprehension
>>
>>3872235
>nature's swamp cooler.
That's all the water you're putting down.
Could use that water in an actual swamp cooler
>>
>>3872281
Its actually the water the grass absorbed being released as transpiration. All plants do it. Grass is just very dense plant life so it's more noticeable.

>nooo not my heckin water
If water is a problem either people shouldn't live there or there needs to be a population reduction
>>
>>3872288
>If water is a problem either people shouldn't live there or there needs to be a population reduction
well realistically neither of those is going to happen so people can either start doing more xeriscaping or we can use up all the water and let all of California burst into flame every summer
>>
>>3872297
>we can let California burst into flame
Yes
>>
>>3872297
California didn't have a problem maintaining their lawns before Mexicans flooded in. Now yards like like Tijuana yards.
>>
>>3872308
Ok. Try explaining to the Mexicans they need to go back so you can have a green lawn.
>>
>>3871937
Good thread, thanks anon.
>>
>>3872288
It's still the water you're putting down. If you don't water you're grass has nothing to transpire

>If water is a problem either people shouldn't live there...
LMAO
Okay, boomer
>>
File: DfWjWzOf_400x400.jpg (32 KB, 400x400)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>3872325
>Okay boomer
heheheh. boom.
>>
>>3872329
Idk what this means
>>
File: seal_held.jpg (87 KB, 799x916)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
To be precise I'm more excited for the end of boomers
>>
>>3872205
Yes, let me turn the land immediately surrounding my home in to a massive heat sink...surely I won't sweat my nuts off unless my AC is cranked to the max.
>>
>>3871965
>drought
There's no drought. Politicians won't let us have water to save the delta smelt.
Who cares about some shitty inconsequential fish?
>>
>>3872020
You know nothing about the saguaro
>>
>>3872346
Fish are more important than Californian subhumans
>>
American 'yards' are disgusting.
>>
File: 1607207696157.jpg (83 KB, 1024x922)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>visit ANIMAL board out of boredom
>first thread is some animal-rapist whining how he's oppressed
>second thread is some hippie retard whining about people owning land
>>
>>3872419
Stay longer and you'll find some good threads, but yeah, the topics discussed here are extremely low brow at times.
>>
>>3872419
this desu
>>
>>3872102
enjoy your ticks
>>
File: images (4).jpg (5 KB, 225x225)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>3872419
>second thread is some hippie retard whining about people owning land

>when youre already a victim before even entering the thread
Ask me how i know which board you came from LMAO
>>
I replaced my lawn with japanese knotweed.
>>
>>3872449
Nice
I got the prickly lettuce thing going on myself
>>
>>3871991
If that's a desert, they are doing a gosh danged service to the cummyunity dumbbutt. Grass is friggin reyarded. Boomer trash mows like 3 times in one yeet and then shiggies why the explosion fire juice get mo and mo xpensy everyyear. Then Xey cumbert inside and go Woo! I'm sure am tired! Mooing the lard sure was an importantesticles taskerdoodle for me to dooerdle, those darnid kids jus have no respecc for a nice THICC layer of gwassies
>>
>>3872205
Cleaning this shit is worse than a lawn
>>
I bought a boomer house and it has a nice native polyculture lawn and wildflower garden
>>
>>3872010
Why the fuck is GRASS the plant boomers want to spend time and money growing all over their property when they could have flowers/herbs/rocks/anythingfuckingelse?
>>
File: perma.jpg (276 KB, 1280x720)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>3871937
based
>>
>>3873509
That seems rare. I'd rather have a yard full of anything besides grass. Rosemary, or thyme or literally any herb would be great
>>
>>3872010
I prefer the lower image.
>>
>>3873541
they wouldn't survive the winter
>>
>>3872205
Ok fuck lawns but this is some psychopath shit even gravel is better
>>
>>3872346
You're a fucking moron with just about everything living rent-free in your head. Just keep pulling memes into the conversation, I'm sure it'll help.
>>
god(s) i just wanna get a house in an american copypaste-suburb and rip up the lawn and plant stuff, have goats and chikens and then look at their shocked boomer-faces
>>
>>3872561
>Nederlands is in the desert
>>
>>3872157
There's stuff that will grow basically anywhere. For example in the Midwest, coneflower, or like an ox eye daisy grow basically anywhere and the seeds are cheap.
>>
>>3872442
dogfucker
>>
>>3872419
He is oppressed for doing nothing inherently wrong true

And people who own land and use it for shitty purposes like water and chemical intensive monoculture lawns are cringe true
>>
File: xeri.jpg (236 KB, 1109x500)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>3872000
If that's anywhere in AZ, it's somewhere up north. It's depressing to see crappy yards, but xeriscape can be gorgeous, and isn't hard to do nice. If you actually like to garden, it's a great way to go. I hope to get enough of a yard at some point to have a small riparian style section with rocks, cactus, succulents and wildflowers near the house, and a small pepper and herb patch shaded with a couple citrus trees. If I were in one of the cooler climates here I would probably go for some apricots or fig, but they don't do so well where I am. Pic related, a somewhat expensive house, but with a relatively inexpensive garden that is pretty easy to do.
>>
>>3872010
Hideous
>>
>>3871937
>End of the boomer lawn
The boomer lawn is a legally protected entity in the US and Canada. Houses are required by law to have between 10 and 30 feet of lawn separating a house from the street and between 5 and 10 feet separating houses from one another. You'd need to rally with /n/ and revise housing and zoning codes to end lawns.
>>
File: 6mgqfwas14q21.jpg (63 KB, 696x543)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>3873656
>Constantly thinking about bestiality
Bro...
>>
>>3873732
Property isn't necessarily lawn
Lawn isn't the only option for property
>>
>>3871991
I dont want the wasted space of a front lawn at all
>>
File: 1600596612908.jpg (80 KB, 958x512)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>3872102
pic related lying in ambush waiting for a dog walker or jogger
>>
>>3872102
Based
Every garden should be a prairie
>>
>>3872102
is this Ontario?
>>
>>3872069
My ducks fucking love those beetles
>>
File: Lizardpeople.jpg (92 KB, 1501x844)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
The zoomer fears the lush green and yearns for the day that everything is as brown and decrepit as his dream society
>>
Grass lawns is such a cuckold thing to have and Ill explain why. Humanity has largely divorced itself from nature, yet subconsciously our souls know we need it. Hence the lawn. A mutilated and unnatural patch of grass prized just for that, its mutilation and unnaturalness. Its like taking a wolf and turning it into some shitty dog that cant even breathe right then awarding it gold at a show. A mockery is all a lawn is, and like most else, boomers dont even realize it
>>
>>3872456
Have you tried lactucarium?
>>
>>3871991
>mowing the yard couple times a year
>Couple times a year
Wtf are you smoking? My lawn starts getting out of control if I don't mow it at least every 1.5 weeks.
>>
File: 1626812502333.jpg (172 KB, 425x425)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>3872419
enjoy your stay anon
>>
>>3872303
I second this motion
>>
>>3873929
In the winter I mow maybe once every two months. In summer once every two weeks.
>>
>>3872010
Imagine an entire neighborhood like that, it would be like living in the forest, such a wonderful sight to wake up to
>>
>>3872339
Seeing as this thread has many anons advocating their habits, it seems the boomers have already indoctrinated the new generations. Sure, they will die, but their memes will live on and hinder human sustainability.
>>
>>3873883
The nu-boomer fears change, as he has been made to revere the ideals of a toxic generation without any doubt.
>>
>>3874025
>>3874027
fuck off back to twitter
>>
>>3872157
Plenty of places have resources available. Think of it as a little up front time to save you loads more time over a year. Any amount of time saved beyond that is gravy. Out here, most of the lazy yards do xeriscaping with some cactus, large rocks, a palo verde or two, some lantana, and maybe a few sage bushes or some other kind of shrub they can shape. The lantana just needs to be cut back at the start of winter (can literally hack it to a bare stub if you want and it'll look nice again by mid spring) and that's it, unless you add a few shrubs to trim every couple of months, there's barely even any plant litter to clean up. I hate that level of laziness, but it's much less work to maintain than a lawn, can look as nice as a lazy person's lawn, and is still better environmentally, despite little of it being native vegetation.
>>
I haven't put a single gram of chemical fertalizer on my lawn in like seven years.
Zoysia master race.
>>
>>3873917
No, I haven't?
>>
>>3873883
>the lush green
yeah, lush and green white clover

white clover = white power
grass is ass, flat and prickly just like the asian women boomers are resorting to

got straffe grass
>>
Is there a form of cacti that is as short as mowed grass, and has nearly the same coverage? I want something that looks like a traditional lawn but will keep the goddamn geese off of it.
>>
>>3874088
based 4channer
>>
>>3874111
Not sure why the fuck you would want a cactus lawn, but you could use some type of opuntia native to your area. They don't get too high and the pads will just fall off and start growing again
>>
>>3874111
>geese
wtf would you do with cactus, then? install ground heating? there's desert ground cover that would require as little, if not less water than cactus, but neither will survive the kind of colds that tend to hit places where geese frequent. Do you live on a golf course with a huge artificial lake or something?
>>
>>3874017
No it wouldn't you dumb hippie.
>>
>>3871991
It does exactly what a lawn does but better
Both are extremely unsightly
>>
>>3874646
>>
>>3874902
I hate this stuff.
If you slip it's like falling on a shag carpet except it's sharp.
>>
>>3874911
Get some better shoes
>>
>>3872102
this. I will never understand why boomers try so hard to have grass while simultaneously trying so hard to keep it from growing up. it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>3874902
You Will Never Be A Real Lawn
>>
>>3875032
Short soft clean grass feels nice under bare feet and nice to lie on. I personally have a bunch of bushes in place of a lawn but i can appreciate a good well groomed bit of lawn.
>>
>>3871937
The retardation of ugly wasteful lawns like this can be obnoxious. And then you visit the southern US and see true lawn-induced depravity. They're not boomer lawns, they're consoomer lawns.
>>
>>3874038
based
>>
File: proxy-image(58).jpg (3.3 MB, 3840x2479)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>3872102
Don't get me wrong, I hate mowing the lawn, but holy shit dude. That's a fucking disaster. Just walking through grass like that is difficult. Imagine all the creatures that could be hiding in that.
>>
File: PSX_20210725_075253.jpg (957 KB, 1125x1500)
957 KB
957 KB JPG
My boomer house has a nice lawn
>>
>>3875185
>clover, wildflowers, etc
your lawn probably isn't the problem. Especially if it doesn't need watering.
>>
>>3875206
I said it was nice how did you turn this into a negative?
>>
>>3875213
i didn't, was a complement and a statement that your lawn doesn't piss me off like the typical 'spray weed killer on anything that isn't sod' kind.
My lawn is similar.
>>
>>3875230
Oh sorry thanks I guess I'm just projecting
>>
>>3872102
I let my yard grow to about 2 feet before I mow it down. It's full of life when I mow it, tons of insects and different kind of wild flowers. Smells nice too.
>>
>>3875161
>>3872109

>That's a fucking disaster. Imagine all the creatures that could be hiding in that.

>biodiversity is bad
What are you doing on /an/?
>>
>>3875525
NTA but I want nothing to do with ticks and I have allergies.
>>
>>3871965
>painting grass
fucking mental
>>
>>3875538
Californians are borderline inhuman.
>>
>>3871991
I live in a desert. I don’t use my front yard much. Xeriscaping saves water. It’s actually more work than a lawn, as I have To keep desert weeds from getting out of control in the spring.
>>
>>3871991
This arrangement is soulless, why not a japanese style rock garden with some kino desert rocks?
>>
>>3875765
>This arrangement is soulless
Okay. Let's see what you propose.
>why not a Japanese
Fucking dropped. Take your weebshit fetish elsewhere.
>>
>>3875525
Your ‘bio diverse’ garden full of introduced invertebrate species isn’t going to save the planet, sorry to break it to you.
>>
File: 2699.jpg (91 KB, 1200x1200)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>3875768
>Yfw
>>
>>3875185
That’s the ideal lawn.
>>
>>3875771
Anon, it's not about saving the planet. It's about feeling better than other people and having the ammunition to shit on them whenever you want or need to.
>>
>>3872256
howling
>>
>>3872288
Southern Californians think everyone lives like them
>>
>>3875039
Turf is heckin cute and valid
>>
>>3875771
>implying they need to be introduced
>>
File: lawn.jpg (682 KB, 2260x1222)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
r8 my lawn, frens
>>
>>3875771
and what about caring about your immediate surroundings?
>>
>>3876087
comfy/10
>>
>>3876087
That's not a lawn, that's an estate you lucky rascal
>>
>>3876087
How much did you Mum pay for it?
>>
>>3876090
How would you define care? Why is an overgrown patch of long grass care and a mowed lawn not care?
>>
>>3871946
Once the boomers die their houses will be replaced by apartment blocks full of immigrants and other undesirables there will be no more lawns
>>
>>3876117
Indeed

>>3876139
Nothing? I have a job, and so does my wife. Mortgage is over half paid already
>>
>>3872010
Looks like rat heaven. I'm sure the local cats will approve.
>>
>>3872027
Should have planted poison ivy.
>>
>>3876146
I see no difference
>>
>>3876818
My boots are indifferent to it
>>
>>3872096
So do all the other plants that you could sow instead of grass, and require yearly mowing and no watering. Such plants require yearly mowing and no watering at all.
>>
>>3875049
Small broadleaf plants such as clovers feel even better. Way softer and no sharp parts.
>>
>>3873606
And then you'd get fined out the ass cause all of that would be illegal under city law, the reason most places have those thick lawns is cause home owner associations & cities fine you if you don't cause it's unsightly & lowers property values
>>
>>3876015
This the problem is the southern half of California is desert & shouldn't have grass. It's no issues for places like the Midwest plains that would be covered in wild grasses anyway
>>
>>3876142
>How would you define care?
To allow it to flourish, thrive and serve its natural purpose, as well as being a good habitat for me.
>Why is an overgrown patch of long grass care and a mowed lawn not care?
The "overgrown" (why is a plant at its natural full height overgrown?) one is a hospitable environment for different forms of life (including me) and acts as a hallway that lets them move from a habitat to the other. The mown one is just sterile and overall negative for the planet; a huge resource sink, a dead habitat and the source of noise, bad smells, poisons and visual boredom.
>>
>>3872010
Garden beds for edible foods would be better
>>
>>3873554
Winter isn't the same throughout the world.
>>
>>3876867
Native vegetation is more important, and who wants to eat something that grew in filthy suburban soil and anyway?
>>
>>3876816
Mine is much, much wilder than that and I have no rats at all.
Some mice are present, but only in the woodsheds, never in the grass.
>>
>>3876874
The soil is what you make of it. Look up what a garden bed is. Literally everything sold at food stores is compromised by microplastics
>>
>>3876818
He could have
But I have a feeling that if he did that someone would have dumped a couple bags of salt over his lawn
>>
>>3871937
I live in the northeast and other than mowing or occasionally mulching my gardens, we do jack shit to our lawn. If it's brown we don't care, if it's overgrown we just hack it down. I stopped weeding a while ago but I'll probably go in and clear out the garden beds to either just let them become grass or replace them with mulch and way fewer plants. It was insane when we moved here though how many random ass plants, trees and shrubs the previous owners planted with no rhyme or reason. And everyone treats their lawn around here. For what? I get yellow patches but my lawn consistently stays green and fairly lush. I think I water the vegetables and that's literally it. Boomers are fucking retarded.
>>
>>3876859
My lawn has a pretty good clover cover for about 1/4 of the backyard, which is pretty when I let them grow for a bit and the bees all come out. We also have a huge mossy area next to the dogwood tree. I mow over it to keep the grass from springing up, but it stays cool, moist and soft all year round. Also springs up a healthy amount of mushrooms to look at, which is fun. I don't treat my lawn at all and it's always pretty lush. I just mulch my leaves and don't rake them; I leave them out for the grass to munch on all winter basically.
>>
>>3872010
Top is bland
Bottom is too crowded
>>
>>3876866
A patch of overgrown grasses is a hospitable environment for you? That is some impressive cope.
>>
>>3877060
Cope for what? I like to walk in my tall grasses.
>>
>>3877047
> implying you shouldn't mulch your grass anyhow
Hence why I charged extra to bag the grass when I mowed lawns as a kid during summer.
> but it makes your lawn healthier sir
> fuck that, oh and blow the driveway and walk off
> that's extra
> whatever

Yeah, and I lowered the deck down another half inch hoping their lawn would burn to get out of bagging. Extra $ is cool, fuck all that stopping and emptying that fucker though.
>>
>>3875032
It's a status symbol. English noblemen two centuries ago wanted to show off that they were so rich they could waste acres of land growing useless grass instead of crop, and pay people to keep it short.

Middle class wants to imitate the rich so everyone wanted their own lawn to show that they made it.
So the lawn becomes associated with a well maintained proper house, and other types of garden are not accepted
>>
>>3877364
>be english
>ruin the world
Why does this happen so often
>>
>>3871937
good
if you live in a desert you should have a cool desert garden with rocks and cacti instead of boring grass
>>
>>3871965
>Green paint
Might as well get some of that plastic grass rug that some sports fields use at that point.
>>
>>3877300
I think that's a boomer thing. My father was the far end of gen x meets boomer and he always used a push mower and never bagged his grass until this last year, which is about the time he started bitching about his body hurting and switched to a riding mower. I remember him making me use a traditional mower too, not engine powered, just so I could get exercise and also mow at the same time he did.

But my neighbors who are all well into their 60s and 70s are hardcore about trimming the edges on the curb, treating, throwing fertilizer on dead spots, taking the bagged trimmings to the dump and then washing all the dead grass off their driveways and walkways with a hose. So fucking wasteful.
>>
>>3872058
not the guy you replied to, but this site is 18+, just so you know...
>>
>>3872010
See the issue I have with yards like this at all is all lawns, no matter the kind you have requires some kind of car.

You can't just be a lazy shit head and go "LET ALL THE WEEDS GROW HERE". Even if you aren't going for a 50s green and flat look, you STILL HAVE TO WATER THE FUCKING PLANTS.
>>
File: mfw-a01.png (69 KB, 965x966)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>3878083
Okay, boomer
>>
>>3878115
The one on the bottom often won't need watering except in long droughts, if you've chosen your plants correctly. You're right about still needing to do weeding and other maintenance.
My water bill is 50/mo and my parents' is 300 despite having a similar sized house and twice as many people living in it, and it comes down to them needing to water their lawn while my xeriscaped yard has never been watered. And I'm in a much drier climate.
The most annoying part is that when we do have rainy periods the growth is insane and cause a big pruning/weeding job, but it's otherwise pretty low maintenance. A couple hours ever few weeks to pull some weeds, prune bushes and snip down seedlings.
>>
>>3875185
My lawn looks like that. I've lived here 20 years and never do anything but mow it occasionally.
>>
>>3872020
It is better, retard. It's more pleasant to look at. It's better for native pollinators. If you choose your plant species correctly you have to water and care for them less.
>>
>>3875525
aesthetics
>>
>>3872157
If that doesn't sound like a fun project anon, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
I fucking hate mowing the lawn, how do I avoid this without becoming an apartmentcuck.
>>
>>3880116
Depends on factors
>>
>>3880116
Make enough money to hire an illegal to do your landscaping.
>>
>>3871937
I'm gonna get a fucking moss lawn.
Not only will it be short and green with minimal care but god damn will it house a lot of bugs.
>>
>>3877777
Those quints though.
>>
File: download (15).jpg (7 KB, 280x180)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3880176
>He things grass doesn't have bugs
>>
>>3880186
Painted grass with dead bugs, whore.
>>
i'm seeing more people turn their front and back yards into gardens. it's pretty based.
>>
>>3880196
It'll be fun when urbanites show up to steal the food those suburbanites have been spending their time and money growing all year. The defunded police won't show up and we can all ignore yet another round of social ills.
>>
>>3880198
THat's not really a thing where i live since everyone has guns
>>
>>3880204
For now.
>>
File: hillary-clinton-getty.jpg (596 KB, 1724x1724)
596 KB
596 KB JPG
>>3880188
>>
>>3880205
take your meds
>>
>>3880204
Same, open carry is great.
>>
File: cosy paths.jpg (179 KB, 700x455)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>3872102
It's good for bees and other insects.
It looks cool if you just mow the edges all the way around and some wavy paths in the lawn.
You can make it look super cosy very easily. If you do that you'll probably not have any trouble with your neighbors and with tickets.
>>
maintaining the lawn is completely decadent american boomer thing that started in the 50s
>>
I love being from europe where we have superior native grass and don't have to obsess over keeping the fucking lawn alive.
>>
>>3881224
I am from Europe and my parents do this...I don't get it, it's a waste of effort and money. I'd rather let trees grow and let the whole yard turn into a mini forest
>>
>>3871991
>gravel yards
Looks ugly and also sounds bad when you step on it.
Dried dirt yards are superior.
>>
>>3874902
you will never pass
>>
File: 20210530_122824.jpg (2.4 MB, 4032x1816)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
Mowing my grass is relaxing. I strap a six pack cooler on top of the transmission and listen to the soft puttering for a couple hours a week.
I never fuck around with fertilizer or watering tho, as long as it's green and somewhat short idgaf
>>
File: backyard food forest.jpg (459 KB, 886x886)
459 KB
459 KB JPG
>>3881272
fruit trees and vines, mosses and ferns, wild herbs and flowers for bees and insects. I don't understand the mindset of people not doing this. Food and medicine grows right out of the ground at practically no cost.

>nah, I'm gonna plant a crop for sheep and cows.
Oh so you have animals grazing your field?
>nah I cut it instead
Oh cool, so you're making hay?
>nah
Oh so you are composting it?
>nah, I throw it out as a waste product
But then how do you fertilize it?
>I just buy some corporate chemicals and spread it out
So how are you returning your investment?
>I'm not, I spend a shitload of money on fertilizers and then pest control because it gets too much energy and the worms start eating the excess product and the roots, let alone the machinery necessary to cut it and the fossil fuels for it.
So.. Why do you do it?
>I don't know. Everyone else does it, I guess it looks pretty or something. Quit asking stupid questions and leave me alone.
>>
File: meadow flowers.jpg (1.59 MB, 2364x1773)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
>>3871937
you should all take the meadowpill when organizing space around your house
>no need for watering - wildflowers native to your area should be drought-resistant
>no need for mowing - I mow my meadow twice a year
>subjectively more beautiful than a soulles lawn
>higher than grass - keeps nosy neighbours and dust from the road away
>good for honeybees and bumblebees
>species like clover or melilot actually make your soil better
pic rel my meadow with a variety of poppies, cornflowers, melilots, clovers, starflowers and many more, extremely satisfied with the results, planning to turn even bigger lawn area to meadow
>>
>>3873888
checked and I agree anon
>>
>>3880953
This is based.
>>
>>3874017
It really does feel like that. Pretty comfy to stroll through.
>>
>>3876816
I've lived in a neighborhood where a lot of houses keep wild gardens. Lots of area wildlife came back such as hares, muskrats, and even foxes.
>>
>>3881449
my mom has a little patch somewhat like that where she just lets whatever wants to grow grow, unless it's grass, then she pulls it up for the flowering weeds and wild flowers to get more room. She also spreads sand there, she says the soil should be kind of void of nutrients, that way the weeds grow better somehow, (I don't know if that is true) I think it's because it's more difficult for grasses to grow in soil void of nutrients, leaving more opportunities for weeds and wildflowers.
It's just teeming with life, lots of different bees and butterflies and looks amazing when it blooms.
It's great for plant and insect diversity, a great way to add to the local ecosystem.
>>
https://youtu.be/V8e2G1xwVI4
>>
File: 1617505286731.gif (2.07 MB, 295x216)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB GIF
>the neighbors after you've replaced the lawn with green carpet
>>
>>3881449
>>3881512
ticks
>>
>>3881537
meadows aren't made to walk through them but to look at them, you should leave a trail for people to walk through, wide enough so that you don't get brushed by the leaves/stalks
thought that it's pretty common sense, also can't you just look for ticks when you're in the shower anyway? you should in summer if you don't do it already
>>3881512
yes, grass generally needs more nutrients than wildflowers, so it's smart to make the soil little bit less fertile, but I didn't bother with it
my meadow has grass in it but the flowers managed just fine as you can see in the picture, maybe in 3-4 years grass becomes dominant and the flowers stop appearing as often but if that happens I'll just dig up the soil again and sow a new mix
>>
>>3871991
the future looks depressing
>>
>>3872102
hurr durr Im lazy aren't I based 4chan???
No. You haven't done shit with your lawn and you're trying to brag anonymously online. Go do something with your yard or shut up.
>>
Most new homes in the area have such small patches of grass, like less than 200sqft, it's a waste of space in your garage to keep a lawn mower.

There are a number of houses nearby where people pulled out the grass and put in turf. Looks stupid, should've done a natural yard instead.
>>
>>3872222
There’s literally no reason to have so much unused space if you dont want to bother gardening.
Why are you so retarded?
>>
>>3873505

If you already have the equipment pressure washing is ezpz.

>>3872344

Now this is a good reason against this much concrete.
>>
>>3872456
>>3872102

If you cant step on your grass without Professor Oak nagging you that you dont have a Pokemon yet then you might be a nigger.
>>
I’m not a boomer but i love a freshly manicured lawn. It’s easy to tell that most of the people here have never mown or maintained a lawn at all. Mowing a lawn feels very zen
>>
>>3882646
>>
>>3882646
>I'm not a boomer, but my uncle is and he hurt my butt when I was little
>>
>>3872449
That's the most evil thing you could do.
>>
>>3882617
Yes I agree, but why does agreeing with you make me stupid?
>>
>>3882646
4chan is not a board for hard workers anon they will never understand the concept of working for the sake of enjoyment
>>
File: 1627872315738.jpg (42 KB, 375x504)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>3882798
>mowing lawn
>hard work
>>
>>3871937
now THAT is a fine lawn, indeed.
>>
>>3871937
I like my lawn long. I only mow once a month. Thank God for no shitty HOA
>>
>>3871937
inb4 zoomers start doing it out of spite
>>
>>3882765
Someone’s projecting. I think all this boomer hate is just a way for people to mask their daddy issues or whatever. Mowing the lawn is very nice and fatherly and that’s why there’s such a strong reaction against it
>>
>>3883239
Better for your lawn honestly, especially during the hot summer months. Won't burn the grass.
>>
>>3883747
kinda thought the same. something isn't quite right with those fuckers itt
>>
>>3876146
Detroit city has a massive series of thriving suburb just north of it, despite being a chimp infested hellhole a few miles away, these suburbs are overwhelmingly white or asian and have their own police forces and home owners associations to keep undesirables out. The future is segregation, not collapse.
>>
>>3883775
Hipsters will be hip, and there's no way to change their contrarianism...
Must be the new administration motivating them to post here...
Post fine examples of gardening to offset their delusions.
>>
>>3883878

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.