[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 92 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: congo-tetra-5.jpg (579 KB, 2000x1330)
579 KB
579 KB JPG
I Really Want a Congo Tetra Tank Edition
Previous: >>3858948

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Saltwater shit:
>brs 5 minute guides
https://youtu.be/AlUv9SRB_g8?list=PLBaMLrfToJyxJ1PuJZwhkxvvdFP14eV_t
>https://reefbuilders.com/reef-tank-setup/
>>
File: googleimages.jpg (18 KB, 431x278)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Know what this is? One of the two month old cories can no longer swim, just wobbles or twitches occasionally in an attempt to swim and is now upside down. From studying the twitching movement it seems to me like he is paralyzed in everything but the forward part. His mouth is opening and closing very fast despite being still for a long time and not requiring as much oxygen.

I forgot the name of this particular corydoras types so here's a picture from google images. One of the common types.

All the other cories of his litter + parents are very healthy.
>>
>>3868308
One more clue: his stomach clearly isn't containing much/anything compared to his peers (full bellies) to the situation has likely been going on for a while, like a day or more.
>>
>>3868308
>>3868311
Also, this cory is the biggest of the pack so until recently it would have been the healthiest and most active.
>>
Lifted it out of the tank for a few secs so it can pick up oxygen for its lbyrinth organ. But it's looking pretty bad.
>>
>>3868314
Probably not much you can do. I would keep it isolated in a breeding box near the top. Try to feed it there but it's a long shot. I doubt it'll survive until tomorrow night.
>>
File: 20210716_113338.jpg (1.72 MB, 4032x3024)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
Update on my pseudomugil luminatus breeding: got a couple fry now and they're doing well. Here's a picture from a couple hours before they hatched.
>>
>>3868332
It was able to get itself back upright and sort of move forward very slowly by propelling water from its gills into the sand. It really wants to live but I'm 99% sure his body is paralyzed. There's even a slightly bend to his tail that stays in place.
>>
File: DSC_0338.jpg (2.93 MB, 4000x3000)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
The zoas No longer LARP AS uncut cocks so far, But it still doesn't Look Like they are really opened All the way Up.

Last Thread I was told to Dip them in Ranch for taste enhancement, are they doomed Like the Guppies to send to the frying Pan?
>>
Have any of you accidentally killed a fish?
>>
>successfully acclimated and now have bred cherry shrimp in 6.0 pH
is pH a meme or what?
>>
>>3868547
>is pH a meme or what?
as long as kept constant it doesn't really matter what the pH is
>>
File: IMG_20210717_135440.jpg (1.53 MB, 2241x2948)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
Convince me not to turn this karen vase my mom bought me cause it 'was a good deal' into an aquarium. The glass should be more than thick enough, think total volume might be around 15 gallons but fuck me if i'm going to worry about calculating that. I'm thinking just java moss, floating plants and a moss ball or two for plants. I could plant shit into the substrate but maintenance is going to be such a bitch I'd prefer things that won't need it.

Figure i'd rig some kind of normally suboptimal sponge filter on an airstone and maybe run a pothos along the line to help hide it. Stock would just be shrimp and maybe like 6 medaka, anything going into this thing will never come out so it all has to be hardy.
>>
>>3868577
please dont put any shrimp or fish in there
>>
>>3868577
Lots of Substrate and some colorful snails, If you do ramshorns or a similar big snail do Lots of water Changes.

Good Luck jamming a Filter in there, cleaning the Glass and Most of all planting and trimming the plants.

Maybe you can Rock some neocaridina in there But you'll need a Lot of plants, I would Not suggest it.

If you Put fish in there, I Hope your cock falls off
>>
>>3868577
That will look like shit in a few months because you will not be able to clean the algae off the glass.
>>
>>3868577
i'm having a hard time believing that's 15 gallon
i'd say its unsuitable for any aquatic creature to live in there
>>
>>3868577
Impossible to maintain, extremely small exposed surface area for gas exchange unless you only fill it up a tiny bit of the way, almost no way to have active filtration. What could go wrong?

Don't make your mom feel bad though. Use it for plants and just tell her you wanted some plants.
>>
>>3868566
>>3868547
Well, baring extreme outlier circumstances but any reasonable range, yeah just keep it stable and don't worry about it. I haven't tested for pH in my planted tank in like two years at least.

>>3868370
:( Sometimes some just don't come out well. Him being the largest actually may have been a sign of a genetic problem. Gigantism is often as problematic as dwarfism for instance.

>>3868435
I avoid responding or even paying attention to the guppy weirdo. If they are starting to open you may be fine. In your pic it looks alright. Give it more time. The colors look pretty bland but it could be your lighting spectrum. LFS and especially online sellers always have deep blue lights into the ultraviolet range that show off fluorescence, and often use camera/photoshop filters to further enhance it (as is also the case when you see freshwater fish that have insanely intense coloration). What kind of light do you have and what kind of zoa is that supposed to be? I have had zoas start out pretty bland then color up though, most notably my vamps in drag. Mine started out looking not too far from what you have, and now they look very close to this pic in person, and I run quite a bit more white light than most.
>>
>>3868577
I see that kind of jar being used for sealed terrarium a lot actually
>>
I want to put some legos in an aquarium as decoration. Is this feasible or would it be dangerous for my fish?
>>
>>3868700
Should be fine as long as the pieces connect well enough and aren't small enough for a fish to put in their mouth. It's made of ABS plastic and should easily withstand water
>>
>>3868698
>sealed terrarium
just one question - why?
>>
File: file.png (1.57 MB, 1050x629)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>3868731
I have no idea, i'm not really into that stuff myself just occasionally read about it
For an example this is the world record for the oldest sealed terrarium
>>
>shrimp tank is nearing 30 celsius
help bros
>>
>>3868734
not much to do, unfortunately...
remove the lid - apply surface agitation using any kind of fan you have ( you can buy a special aquarium kind )
buy one of them aquarium "chillers" - they cost a lot
pray for cooler weather
that's an ongoing issue for my aquarium too - every damn summer
luckily most of my fish can tolerate high temperatures for some time, so I had no casualties yet - cant say if that shortens their life though
>>
>>3868734
Aim an air conditioner at it.
>>
>>3868734
How big is the tank? I ask because someone will inevitably suggest a frozen water bottle, which would only work on a very, very small tank.

If you had a 75L tank, it would take about 10L of frozen water to bring it from 30C to 26C, and it wouldn't even last very long.
>>
>>3868744
>>3868766
>>3868768
thanks for the replies friends
i'm in britbong land so i don't have an air conditioner but i'll try to find my fan
the tank is ~27L, 30cm cube
>>
>>3868439
yeah, back in the day my lid wasnt secured with anything and i forgot about that so i moved it and it slipped into the aquarium, edge first into one of my mollies, terrifying day for sure
>>
>>3868734
throw some ice cubes anon, see if that helps
>>
>>3868781
>>3868734
yeet one in
>>
>>3868772
As both the mediums have the same heat capacity (both water), it is proportional, so it'd take ~3.6L. Technically, ice has about half the heat capacity of water but going from 0C to 1C and you're at water anyway, so for this purpose we can ignore that.

Honestly the remove lid + fan suggestion above would likely do more long term.
>>
>>3868772
I am in a similar situation but what's the problem with a shrimp tank being at a high temperature anyway? they're not gonna die are they? I assume that their metabolism will be affected but nothing dangerous enough to worry about.
My tiny no filter comfy tank has been doing fine in the heat
>>
>>3868363
they look really cool anon congrats
>>
do you guys have marine biology memes? or ideas for ones you'd like to share? thank you
>>
>>3868830
>they're not gonna die are they?
Yes they are if they get too hot. I would say 30 Celsius is the limit, i don't think shrimp would tolerate more for more than a day or two at the most. The main problem is oxygen, warmer water can hold less oxygen. I would use an air pump which should also cool due to more surface agitation and thus evaporation, also open the lid and turn off the light.
>>
>>3868287
Anything I should know before buying an axolotl and a tank for it? How much work is needed to keep one alive/happy? Any other animals that can go in the same aquarium? There are some nice looking 40 gal ones on Craigslist near me under a hundo
>>
>>3868732
how do the plants not suffocate?
>>
>>3869097
I didn't know that thanks anon, I'll keep an eye on the temp.
>>
>>3869116
1. if your room isn't sub-70 year round you need a chiller for it, you should be keeping the tank right below room temp generally imo.
2. axolotls live best with no tank mates as a single specimen, they will kill anything that doesn't stress them and nip their gills. Many of the small inverts you'd want to keep to help clean up are also bowel obstruction risks. I have heard that they can do OK with larger aquatic snails and that's about it. White clouds are an option in a bigger tank that are unlikely to nip at them, tolerate cold water, and aren't likely to choke them to death however the axolotl will try and occasionally succeed to eat them.
3. 40 is about the right size to be looking at
4. they're messy fucking eaters and don't get along with plants, you can put plants in goldfish cages though to protect them from fat fuck axolotls laying on them or digging them up though.
5. water quality is very important on top of them being messy eaters and also not getting along with bottom feeders so feeding is not a 'fire and forget' affair.

I don't do axolotls anymore just because I enjoy how easy plants and bottom feeders make keeping a tank. Nothing that doesn't get along with them is worth my effort.
>>
>>3868731
As someone who's held an interest in sealed terrariums for a long time, there's just something about a sealed off isolated environment that I find fascinating. I get similar excitement over ideas like living in a remote cabin etc. The feeling of isolation is really what appeals to me.
>>
>>3868633
you can get nerites and a magnetic scrubber.
>>
>>3869118
Carbon Dioxide from microfauna in there.
>>
My more knowledgeable roommate helped me set up my aquarium today and he gave me a moss ball friend to look at :)
>>
File: Aq1.webm (1.63 MB, 640x352)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB WEBM
Made a redecoration of my betta aquarium anons, hope you all like it
>>
File: DSC_0336.jpg (3.63 MB, 4000x3000)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
>>3868685
Thank you for the serious reply, the seller called them "wheel of time" and my lighting is a Fluval 14541 Nano Marine LED 20 watt. You can Control it With some App I use, there is a Standard setting that simulates day and night cycle. There is also a "pro-mode" where I can Change the intensity of various light colors But this Being my First saltwater Tank I don't feel Like a pro.

I also think I need more Rock. Pic is a a few dass older, diatoms started doing their thing
>>
>>3869393
Looks neat, maybe some Rocks or Wood pieces to make it Look less empty
>>
File: 20210719_153308.jpg (2.08 MB, 3264x1836)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
Good day fellow aquatics.
My red crystal and super reds have got some black spots, this one here is the worst as you can see.
Is this realy a disease? I found only one source with shell disease in shrimp and I'm not shure about the treatment involving poultry dewormer OR oregano oil !?
My yellow neocaridina in the same tank seem unaffected.
>>
>>3869436
I tend to like my rock to go about 2/3 the way up, with the top portion being the space for the higher light SPS. Manufacturer reported specs on PAR look fine for zoas. Spectrum control looks pretty simple. I doubt you're going to get drastically different florescence tweaking in pro mode. Just give it some time.

My most extreme case, a chalice, was just this really bland brown/purple color for A YEAR under my old light. I thought that I just had a really boring coral. Then I got new, much better lights and it still looked bland for an entire month. Then out of the blue it started getting all kinds of crazy colors (yellow, pink, green). No other parameter, dosing, or feeding change.
>>
>>3869454
i was thinking about wood, rocks im not that convinced because i dont want the betta slashing his fins on it
>>
Give me a random fish, plant, or aquarium animal of some sort that would be good for beginners.
>>
>>3869631
mollies, zebra danios, fuckers survived my retardation when i started the hobby and boy i was shit at taking care of them before actually learning
>>
Tap water reef is going quite well. Got a blue damsel for it today.

Also glued a frag of GSP to the back of the tank so it can spread across the wall. Its mostly the reason why idgaf about keeping the sides of the tank spotless. most of the algae i had a month or so ago is gone anyway.
>>
File: saltwater.jpg (2.48 MB, 4774x1685)
2.48 MB
2.48 MB JPG
>>3869643
tank like a month ago for comparison

havent done any water changes. Just added hermit crabs, macroalgae and some corals.
>>
>>3869260
Sounds good anon. I run pretty hot personally so i keep it between 58-65 depending on season, think that's too cold for them?

Any tips on cleaning? No idea how to clean an aquarium.
>>
>>3869631
tetras, guppies, mollies, betta (only a single betta), shrimps, nerite snails on the top of my head
for plants i did more well in the beginning with plants that don't have to (but can) be rooted in the substrate like anacharis, hornwort, ludwigia repens, some moss variety etc.
>>
>>3868287
Do those always look like that, or only when they are mating?
>>
>>3869631
agree with other anons
although keep in mind that livebearers will eventually overload your aquarium with fish, so you will need to find them a new home
zebra danios is a very good choice, but they need a decent amount of water-surface to swim across and thrive
something around 3 feet / 90 cm or more
that means you will need a 40gal/150l aquarium, and its probably not something a beginner wants
maybe try to get a few virgin female-only mollies, and plant aquarium densely to reduce aggression
as to plants, I would go for hornwort and/or anacharis as the other anons suggested
if you decide to get mollies - go for anubias and cryptocoryne
they are not as easy to grow, and they grow slowly ( especially anubias ), but mollies might eat hornwort and anacharis
>>
>>3868308
>>3868685
My paralyzed cory is still alive. I lift it out a couple times a day for air and drop food right on its mouth. I'm not joking. I should figure out a way to humanely kill it.
>>
Hello an,
i am need help as i am trying to Anesthetize my fish
how and with what savety measures can i do it
i dont want harm him
plss
>>
>>3869725
They always look like that with photoshop. As with most social media freshwater fish pictures, they turned up the color saturation dial to 11. BUT, with the right lighting they often look very good even when not in mating mode, just not quite as good as that pic.
>>
>>3869774
Why do you want to anesthetize your fish?
>>
>>3869777
to make him stop moving without dieing
>>
>>3869774
mallet him in the tank
>>
>>3869643
Nice improvement. Interesting choice as a first fish. I'm honestly afraid of adding a damsel due to aggression even though I would love a yellowtail or azure damselfish.
>>
>>3869781
mainly added him due to how cheap he was. A clownfish is like triple the price and im not planning on stocking it with any more fish so im not bothered about aggression.
>>
>>3869774
>>3869777
>>3869780
mooneye betta
wont feed nor seed
either let starve him or try remove eye scales
so i want to try
>>
>>3869784
Ah. Clove oil.

This thread seems to have some information:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/dose-of-clove-oil-to-sedate-fish.433444/
>>
>>3869792
thanks buddy
>>
>>3869651
With axolotls you will need to gravel vac or really just use a turkey baster to remove uneaten food. You'll do regular water changes based on the nitrogen levels in your aquarium, once you establish a pattern you can decide levels but for a start, 20-30% a week is about normal. Prior to introducing your axolotl you will want to let the tank idle with food in it and regularly test for ammonia and nitrites, once you have none and are starting to see nitrogen your tank ought to be ready, keeping in mind the populations of nitrifying bacteria will increase or decrease based on available food, so if you're feeding 50% of what an axolotl eats and you add an axolotl, your ammonia will spike. Ideally look up some feeding regimens and feed just a little less than that.

For filtration you probably want something with a gentle flow, bigger and more expensive is not always better.

I recommend testing regularly. Plants will help reduce the number of water changes needed, if you can't make aquatic plants work you can get a pothos and drape roots into the tank.

For axolotls you should either go bare bottom tank or use a coarse substrate that is too large for them to accidentally ingest
>>
>>3869725
Not quite that colorful but actually pretty close and they don't need to be in fuckmann mode to get pretty. Congo tetras are one of the few fish I'd consider getting into tropical freshwater for.
>>
>>3869772
clove oil
>>
I think my florida flag fish's swim bladder problem is incurable, I spent the last week on the fasting and then the 'give it a pea' approach. He still seems to be having issues remaining buoyant. Do you think it would be murdering him to introduce another male? My original plan for this tank was 12 white clouds and 8 flagfish (2 male, 6 female). Despite being retarded he seems fairly healthy, is eating and swims when the lights are dimmed. He just can't always be with his girls because he doesn't float so good.
>>
File: Snapchat-250387223.jpg (490 KB, 974x1920)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
Can anyone recommend a good tanate for this brackish/saltwater tank with 4 fiddler crabs already, as you can see the tank is long and wide, and quite shwallow. About 15-20 gallons of water in there. Was thinking flame scallop but rethinking on hearing how prone to death they are.
>>
>just caught a fly that has been annoying me for 3 hours
>threw him in the 20 gallon
>fish pulled its extremities off one by one, currently torturing it to death
where did i go wrong raising them bros?
>>
>>3870037
Tankmate*
>>
Bought a ranchu but she's kind of ugly so I put her out in my rubbermaid pond. While out there, I tested the water and there were 0 nitrates or nitrites. Could just be my papyrus sucking everything up but it was a tad concerning. There are a handful of rosy reds in there for the mosquitos but they do little for the mosquitos. But probably because there are dragonfly nymph in there. a few random scopes in the net produced no accidental fish catches but 4-5 nymphs.
>>
>>3869772
freeze it
>>
File: nnedrog4t9671.jpg (118 KB, 828x895)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>3868287
What freshwater fish are available to be kept in an aquarium that's endangered/almost extinct in the wild? I kind of want to help preserve some of these fish and try my hand at breeding them.
>>
>>3870230
Goodeid livebearers, they're almost gone in the wild. They're also very sought after by collectors and you can make some nice money off of them while helping secure their existence in the world
>>
File: DSC_0341.jpg (2.86 MB, 4000x3000)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
>>3869592
I had to Check what a chalice Coral is, it Looks Like a SPS, right? They Look pretty crazy I gotta say! Is a toadstool Coral a good Idea for a beginner? It seems Like a neat Coral that can get pretty large.

When I ordered my Stones I thought they would be enough, But it seems I have to get more to make a pillar or arch. I am Just really worried it topples and shatters the Glass.
Maybe I will make a big pile Like a cone to reach Higher.

Is euplica varians a good Idea against diatoms? They Seen Like the bladder snails of Salt water.
>>
>>3869774
If you Microdose clove oil it will only knock them Out instead of Killing them. I have Seen a Video in YouTube where a Guy gave surgery to His Goldfish.
You have to be really careful though AS clove oil is basically fish eithanizer and a betta can probably Take a Lot less of it than a Goldfish.
>>
I was eating in front of the tank and saw hundreds of hungry little eyes looking up at me. And I wondered, do little fish brains comprehend that you are a creature and that you are eating a piece of food? Or is our presence just a simple pavlov's cue, like when science rats associate a color with a squirt of cocaine?
>>
>>3869784
You can't remove the eye "scales" it's pigmentation running over the eye, not scales
>>
File: IMG_20210720_215843.jpg (282 KB, 1080x646)
282 KB
282 KB JPG
is it ok to leave the sponge filter there without airpump since i have another filter?
>>
File: IMG_20210720_171317.jpg (2.65 MB, 4000x3000)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
Why is my moss brown on bottom? Other plants except floaters are doing good.
>>
>>3870558
Sometimes as moss grows, the base or some face of the moss starts getting brown. It means that nutrients are no longer reaching that part of the plant. If nutrients levels are ok, it can be solved by increasing the current or a little trimming . Brown parts are not necesarily dead.
>>
>>3870566
Thanks, would more frequent water changes help? I only do once per week right now.
Also when I started to use a fertilizer my floaters sprung back to life for a month or two, and now they started dying again, should I dose a bit more? Since the anubias nana mini I have in three different spots are thriving, could they be hogging all the water resources?
>>
>>3870267
Always use at least reef putty or superglue to stick rockwork together. If you were creating totally new structure, I would advise using aquascaping mortar and create something super stable outside the tank. However, since you've got live rock, you're going to have to make due with reef putty + superglue. Get a giant ass bottle of superglue from bulkreefsupply. It will hold fast and keep it in place until the putty sets. Remember to buy some base pieces as well. When you get more and more rock, it's not great having all that mass pushing down on small points. A lot of reefers put in rockwork before even the sand. This creates a super stable base that won't move and also eliminates possibility of their worry of some fauna digging underneath rock and causing a collapse. Note: I've never actually heard of this happening even once, yet reefers talk about it all the time.

I suggest against a cone because it'd be incredibly difficult to do maintenance between the rocks and would give fauna a place to escape you if you needed to take them out for any reason.

The chalice is believe is categorized as LPS, Echinophyllia. Toadstool is a good choice. I think most leather types are. Just be aware they will get very large and could shade over other coral.

Like most snails commonly available in the hobby, it should do fine. In my experience, the more important part of picking snails are sizes. Get a variety. A giant ass 2" trochus snail isn't going to do much for all the small spaces in rockwork, while dwarf ceriths do great getting into the hard to reach places but are so small they will take forever to clean large expanses. Also consider sand-sifting stuff like Nassarius or certain starfish if you aren't planning on having something like a sand sifting goby.
>>
>>3870575
Sounds like you have a nutrient deficiency. Dosing fertilizer should be done on a schedule, rather than adding when you start to see the decay. Moss and floaters grow fast, but also decay fast. Anubias are slow growers and have low requirements, it will take sometime to spot the deficiencies on those plants.
>>
File: a.png (637 KB, 669x443)
637 KB
637 KB PNG
>>3868287
How can I get cheap gravel? Perhaps even free from parks or something? I thought about areas where there's construction and associated rubble, that I might be able to break up chunks of concrete from there into smaller bits. I also thought about broken up asphalt but I think the tar would pose a problem
>>
>>3870657
Aside from literally dirt from your yard, pool filter sand is probably the cheapest, although not a great substrate for plants by itself.

Why are you being so cheap on substrate?
>>
Why do people hate bladder snails?
They are heckin' cute and eat the algae.
>>
>>3870698
Not that anon but can you actually use regular dirt as substrate? the thought never occurred to me actually
>>
>>3870739
>Snail eat me plant, is Bad!
-noob
>>
>>3870761
I really wouldn't suggest it, but it has been done. The problem is it'll take forever to settle and a slight disturbance will fuck your shit up for a good long while. This is why a lot of planted setups have dirt, which does have a lot of benefits for plants, with some sort of cap over it (whether it be sand or another substrate). I personally use organic potting mix with ecocomplete on top.
>>
File: 20210720_155726.jpg (2.72 MB, 4032x2268)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
I can't think of what to do with this tank. It had RCS and white shrimp in it before I moved, then when I moved I migrated as much as I could to my 30 gallon. This tank sat essentially neglected and 85% dry for like two months before I got a chance to scrape down the sides to clean off the algae, pull out all the valisneria, and change the water enough that there wasn't a quarter inch of debris on the bottom.

So now it's set up again and empty, save for like 6 of the toughest shrimp on the planet and I'm pondering what to put in it.
>>
>>3870844
plant it heavily
>>
>>3870859
I like that idea. I'm never doing valisneria again though, I wish I knew it just spreads like a weed.
>>
File: 1602099701069.jpg (638 KB, 2925x2523)
638 KB
638 KB JPG
Fully cycled
now gotta cycle the quarantine tank
>>
>>3868588
why? Is it bad for them or something?
>>
shit... just found out there is a Devonian Period coral reef by me.... clearly can't get any rocks from it.
>>
>>3868577
https://www.youtube.com/c/Jartopia/videos
This guy has good tutorials for making ecospheres. Wouldn't put any fish in that thing.
>>
>>3868577
only if you go minimalist. java fern, marimo, a betta. Set it and forget it. No need for a filter. Or heater if you live in a warm area. Could also do Opae Ula
>>
>>3870844
you should put in some plants and some fish i tihnk
>>
File: koi.jpg (506 KB, 1920x1280)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
>>3870925
that opening in the top will prevent proper maintenance
it might not be possible to catch a fish if there will be some kind of emergency
no way to have a proper filter
etc
its all been mentioned by other anons
just don't put fish or shrimp in there, so when this project inevitably goes bad there will be not deaths on your hands
try with plants and snails if you absolutely have to
>>
File: 1602161217550.jpg (261 KB, 942x1776)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
>>3870961
Dude must have been on pintrest
>>
>>3870844
Shrimp paludarium
>>
>>3868287
so i've got a dwarf onion. sold to me as a crinum, but it's zephyranthes, the one that's not a "true aquatic" and looks like a scallion.
there's not a lot on how you're actually supposed to care for them, people just say they eventually die in water. if i just let the leaves grow out of the tank is that fine, or do i need to take it out to hibernate or something?
>>
>>3870844
what's the size? 7.5 gallon or something? i'm thinking you could do:
>a bunch of amazon swords or other tall, leafy plants, one very happy betta. with that kind of verticality you might even be able to toss in a dwarf crayfish and not have them kill each other
>mated pair of scarlet badis, okefenokee sunfish, sparkling gouramis or something like that.
>if it's bigger than 10 gallons and you really plant the hell out of it, you might be able to get 2 pea puffers in.

>>3870864
anticipating this, i planted some corkscrew val in a little ceramic pot in my tank. worked well so far.
>>
>>3871074
It's like a 15 or 20 gallon I think. Probably 15.

I did betta and friends in the 30 gallon and that worked out pretty well, he just died recently after maybe like two years. Idk what to put in there next, I have a bunch of various tetras and a lot of shrimp. For some reason the betta didn't eat the shrimp.

Thinking of maybe doing heavily planted with shrimp and one fishie of some sort.
>>
>>3871126
Gouramis are very pretty but I'm not sure if that is big enough for them. I think they don't like being alone.
>>
File: 1327204003454.jpg (794 KB, 1024x1024)
794 KB
794 KB JPG
>>3870939
>>
>>3871133
maybe instead of just one fish I could do a guppie tank.
>>
>>3871137
Guppies are fun if you get different color ones. You never know how their babbies will look like.
>>
>>3871137
>>3871126
okay i definitely underestimated the size
you could definitely do guppies. maybe a small school of gertrude or celebes rainbowfish for variety, since they like similarly hard water.
>>
>>3870698
Okay I also found filter sand is reported as working well.
>Why are you being so cheap on substrate?
I'm cheap
>>3870761
yes you definitely can, I plan to use dirt capped with gravel or probably sand, like >>3870796
says.
>>
File: PXL_20210721_013608477.jpg (3.46 MB, 4032x3024)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB JPG
What y'all think of the bones of my hardscape? Going in a 10g rimless cube
>>
File: fis.jpg (1.08 MB, 3865x2576)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
How do I make sure I get a male and female of a species when I go to the store? (shrimp, fish, also snails, haven't seen anything about snail breeding what's up with that?)
>>
>>3871201
Ask for one and look up how to sex them, and speak up if you think they got the wrong one. With some species it's really fucking hard.

With shrimp and small fish you usually buy at least 6 at a time so you should get at least one of both. With snails it doesn't matter because they're all sexy futa herms.
>>
>>3871153
pay a little more and get a dark or black sand/gravel substrate. light colored substrates are dogshit, they will show all of the fish shit and look terrible unless you're a gravel vaccer.
>>
>>3871206
I plan to aggressively manage stuff like this with plentiful cleaner fauna though, do you still think it will be an issue?
>>
File: pep.png (175 KB, 400x388)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
>found one small snail the other day
>gf pointed out 3 snails today
>just noticed multiple egg sacs on plants
Is this how it ends?
>>
>>3871241
cleaner fauna do not remove shit, on net, from your system. You can only remove brown shit sediment via gravel vac or waiting for it to gradually settle into the substrate, which looks ike shit if it's a light colored substrate.
>>
>>3871246
what about carpeting plants? Is vac really the ONLY way to remove it?
>>
>>3871248
carpeting plants will help hide it but it's only removed mechanically or gradually inerted by chemical processes, but you'll still have some brown doodoo there even if it's not leaching nutrients into the water.
>>
>>3869643
No one cares about saltwater
>>
File: a.jpg (87 KB, 640x480)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>3871258
i do
>>
>>3871244
snails are good, dont be an anti-snail tranny.
>>
>>3870230
Pretty sure white cloud mountain minows are basically extinct in the wild. There are probably quite a few species.
>>
File: IMG_20210721_195023.jpg (440 KB, 1850x832)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
From the creator of the TotallyNotShit® tank lid made from shit in my shed, comes the TotallyAesthetic® Light Hanger.
Prolly redo it with just a heavy mounting plate and a couple curved tubes up and over holding the wires.
>>
>>3871258
Speak only for yourself, plebfaggot
>>
File: DSC_0342.jpg (3.84 MB, 4000x3000)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB JPG
>>3870619
If I buy some Reef Stones that aren't Life Rock and Bring them in shape With Glue and putty outside of the Tank, that would have been the normal way, right?

My Plan is to build a Sort of very stabile ""throne"" structure where nothing can hide inside and after the PuTTY IS hard I Put IT in the Tank.

I will leave the live Rock simply in the ground then, the reasons I bought it in the First place where Microfauna, Red algae and possible cool hitch-hiker snails or Coral. After some while the Not-so-Life-rock should also get the Filterung properties Life Rock should have, right?

I can also give you a First Hand Report of Something toppeling in a fresh water Tank and hitting the Glass. My little sister wanted some Chinese looking Tower in her crayfish Tank With a cave in it's bottom(some Goofy Aquarium pallace Made from.porcelain If you know what I mean) and the crayfish excavated underneath the Tower because it was it's Home and they Love doing that.

After about two days of digging the Tower banged against the Glass But gladly nothing happened, I have my sister a coconut for a cave to prevent a similar Happening.

I will First only Go With leather corals, this IS my very First Reef that is why I took zoas AS my First corals, I worried that I will kill everything Else. My Tank gets really hot AS Well Sometimes, so I ordered some Fans and Froze some bottles.

Diatom Bloom is going pretty drastic, today the snails come, ten Guys With less than half an Inch of size(1cm)
>>
>>3871352
>Post apocalyptic Aquarium
Pretty pimp
>>
>>3871363
Why do you randomly capitalize the first letter of some words?
>>
>>3871410
I am very busy and Post from my Phone, in German Things get Capital Letters at the start and my Phone corrects me all the time. Best example is "Post" it is the German Word for Mail Service.
>>
>>3869772
>>3870202
I can no longer find it and I see no white anywhere (cories turn blenda white when dead), might have healed back up somehow.
>>
File: state of aquarium.jpg (477 KB, 1420x798)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
i fucked up. what should i do?
>had a betta from 2014-2017 in a five gallon, little guy really gave my life some purpose (rip poseidon)
>due to moving and mourning, didn't get another
>christmas 2019 comes around, husband sees my mental health declining, decides to get me a 30 gallon aquarium
>cycle for three months, plant tank with java fern, african dwarf lily, cryptocoryne
>covid(covid)
>get a betta and 4 panda garras (lfs recommended)
>lose my job/have a mental breakdown
>betta dies within first month of a swimbladder infection
>panda garras start disappearing one by one
>get duckweed, infested with bladder snails
>fell off maintenance routine.
>husband helps as best he can but he falls off too as he supports me during my breakdown
>we top off water every month or so

I have gotten diagnosed with bpd, I'm starting treatment this week, getting on insurance soon, things are looking up. I want to start planning what to do next with fishkeeping, and i want to go easy on myself this time.

What's left is 1 panda garra, 100+ snails, an absolute swamp of duckweed, some sad looking marimos, cryptocornes, and black spotted java fern thats propagating like crazy. all in a cheap lidless 30 gallon with a substrate that is too shallow and a mix of sand and gravel which i honestly dislike, covered in a layer of dead snail shells.

Aside from the garra, who i want to keep or find a better home for because he's a champ, is any of this worth keeping? should i nuke the whole tank and start over? i just checked the parameters and they're all in a safe range somehow? what should i do and where do i even start? gonna start cycling my old 5 gallon for a quarantine tank, obviously i need to clean the tank, can i keep my panda garra in the cycled 5g while i fix up the 30g? maybe have him go on some meds while in quarantine to get him up to snuff? any ideas on stocking options so i can start looking forward to? any thought and advice would be welcome
>>
>>3871201
>>3871203
with shrimp the females are chonkier than the males.
>>
>>3871244
I hope you like having hundreds of snails
>>
>>3871446
Based twink psychopath.
Remove or cut off all excess growth
If you want the fish, keep it. If you think you’re going to make it suffer give it to. LFS or find it a home. Do a few small water changes. Anything is salvageable
Once you think your tank is ready buy an assassin snail to help control the snail population
>>
>>3871446
The panda garra is probably fine, cycle the 5 gal and put him in there temporarily while you deal with the 30.

After removing the Panda...

Step 1: cut back everything
Step 2: Remove the plants you want to keep (crypts or java fern or marimos) and idk maybe put them in the 5 gal
Step 3: drain the water and remove the snails and idk feed them to birds or something
Step 4: replace the substrate
Step 5: re-plant the tank
Step 6: fill with water
Step 7: after the temperature gets back to normal and you make sure the water is okay, put your panda back

Probably wait for a while and think about what you actually want in there rather than trying to redo the entire tank and restock it at the same time.
>>
>>3871162
very nice
>>
>>3870657
> go to river
> start picking little rocks
> disinfect them when you get home
> use them as gravel

there you go anon
>>
>>3871599
This. Just put them in the oven for 30+ minutes or boil them in a pot.
>>
>>3870037
Still hoping for any suggestions in regard to this. It's far more paludarium than aquarium, I was thinking some sailing mollies.
>>
Does anyone know why my Amano Shrimps are nibbling on my Phyllanthus fluitans?
At first I thought they were just hungry after i bought them from the store, so I put in some boiled salad which worked at first, but there are 2-3 who keep swimming up there and eat them.
I have a 42 gallon tank and 11 Amano shrimps with a few mini-shrimps in there.
im currently at week 2 into cycling the tank and dont seem to have ANY algea at all.
Maybe the lack of algea is the problem? But i keep giving them boiled vegetables.
anyone with the same problem here? what should i do to prevent this?
>>
File: 1.jpg (67 KB, 1024x791)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
why is my fish not swimming anons, i just bought them
>>
>>3871701
>im currently at week 2 into cycling
why do you have shrimp in there in the first place?
other than that, maybe the plants are dying and the shrimp are eating the damaged parts
if you only had the plants for a very short time you haven't noticed them dying yet
just a guess, probably wrong but I can't think of anything better right now
let them "nibble" all they want I had amanos for over a year now and they haven't destroyed any plants
>>
>>3871723
You gotta let them out of the can first retard
>>
>>3871732
This anon is right, Shrimp are to plants Like maggots are to flesh.
I See this a Lot on my massive frogbit Farm where the Filter Hits the surface of some unlucky plants and the Shrimp come in to Feed in the dying plant parts. The plants Always recover incredibly fast Afterwards.
>>
>>3871258
Saltwater is based. You're just a brainlet it seems.
>>
>>3871258
Why are there people like this in the aquarium hobby? Having a favorite tank type is only normal but loving one and shitting on another seems dumb.
>>
>>3870037
A shallow tank in front of your tv looks pretty neat, makes me want one myself
And sorry can't really answer your question anon, i have no knowledge of crabs or even brackish water
>>
>>3871766
It's just 4chong, there's always gonna be some dude that tries to make a competition out of any hobby even one as mild as this
>>
>>3871787
>4chong
Yeah I mean I guess I knew my own answer when I asked, but I have only ever had freshwater and I love checking out the saltfags' tanks just as much. I think they're all cool, fresh is just more "me" in the sense of the aesthetic it lends to my place.
>>
>>3871742
>>3871732
Ive had them for a week before adding the Amanos, they look green and healthy to me but ill take a look into it, maybe those are just the dead parts since they dont every leaf of the plant.

>why do you have shrimp in there in the first place?
the cycle guide from tropica said to add shrimps after 3 days to prevent algea outbreaks, ive thought of that to be too soon as well, so I waited a week until i put them in.
>>
>>3870230
Sadly there's a lot. Red-tailed sharks, tricolor sharks, cherry barbs, white cloud mountain minnows, roseline sharks, I think clown loaches are pretty rare now. For monster fish I know tiger datnoids are critically endangered.
Sadly a lot of these can't be bred in home tanks (cherry barbs and white clouds can). I've had the same thought, wish I could set up some giant fish farm for rare species.
>>
File: 1619983840991.jpg (3.25 MB, 4032x3024)
3.25 MB
3.25 MB JPG
Just got a Fluval/Aqua clear 50 Should I load up the bio more? I have plenty. Just seeding from my sponge filter so probably wont be cleaning it within the next few weeks.
>>
>>3871871
More bio is always a good choice, cant do anything wrong with that. If you have the space, use it and put more bio in there
>>
>>3871890
cool thanks, can def mix the bio balls with the bio rings and not have it sit above the waterline
>>
>>3871480
Thanks buddy. I want you to know that the phrase "based twink psychopath" is fucking hilarious. Great advice too

>>3871482
Thanks a shitton. Gonna start cycling the 5 gal, You're totally right about taking time after redoing the tank.

Will post progress when we get this started! Thanks for helping me feel like this is doable.
>>
>>3871892
if you ever buy new filtermedia, try and get your hands on siporax, its pretty much the best product out there since it has a super large surface for bacteria to grow on
>>
>api kit
>keeps reading like 0.5 ppm ammonia
>change water
>still reads 0.5ppm ammonia
>eventually decide to control
>tapwater shows 0.5ppm ammonia
>bottled water shows 0.5ppm ammonia
i thought this shit was the gold standard
>>
>>3872101
Just do the strips man.
>>
>>3872126
I usually do, and the strips show no ammonia. most importantly my fish have no signs of ammonia stress.
>>
>want a 5G for a betta
>9G fluval flex goes on sale for half price at LFS because of some flash sale
FUCK I don’t know if I should just get that or not. Might be too bulky for my needs
>>
File: 20190725_184807_1.webm (1.64 MB, 480x270)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB WEBM
>>3872149
Nah, its a cool little all in one (when on sale, otherwise way overpriced). It's still a pretty small tank but the extra volume is good for everyone.
>>
>>3872156
Yeah just not sure if it’ll fit on a nightstand. Thinking of just picking it up tomorrow and seeing if it fits and test the pump to see how quiet it is. Gotta ask about the return policy in case it ends up being trash. My wife is pushing to get the 5G but it’s just such a good deal
>>
>>3872162
>nightstand
keep in mind a 9g tank full of water weighs over 100lbs
>>
>>3872170
Holy shit I didn’t even consider the weight. Thanks anon
>>
>out of sinking pellets for shrimp
>trying to feed them up to get them breeding
>shrimps just chilling pecking at algae near a pile of baby ramshorn snails
>smush ramshorn snails
>instant shrimp food
>>
>>3871363
>If I buy some Reef Stones that aren't Life Rock and Bring them in shape With Glue and putty outside of the Tank, that would have been the normal way, right?
Yes.
>After some while the Not-so-Life-rock should also get the Filterung properties Life Rock should have, right?
Yes, but it takes longer than in freshwater. Also new rock may cause your diatom bloom to extend longer due to introducing additional silicates.

Still, I consider diatoms not a big deal. They don't particularly harm anything and they will go away eventually.
>>
I love this motherfucker like you wouldn’t believe
>>
>>3872257
is THAT a VIP Super Black Giant Plakat Fighter??
>>
>>3872257
Why
>>
>>3872265
He swims and sleeps on his gf moss chan and is all around wonderful
>>
File: 1307657686854.png (71 KB, 382x363)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>3872271
Mine is just always angry for food.
:c
>>
>>3872275
Understandable, I’m going to add some feeder shrimp to the aquarium this weekend in hopes that he’s not an agro fuck and can keep cherry shrimp with him in the future
>>
>>3872277
I'd love to get shrimp. None in NZ though. Big frown.
>>
>>3872213
My snail and zoa shipment came Yesterday and the fuckers forgot the snails. Now I gotta Go to some lfs to get snails.
Thankfully the diatoms stoppen exploding, I guess the silicate in the water is gone.
The next step will be that I get some Rocks and Glück them together to get a Higher and Safe structure, do I have to worry about cleaning those Rocks Like a Maniac before I Put them in the Tank?
The silicates I can live With, on some Spots the Ted algae started growing again despite all the diatoms surrounding it.
>>
>>3872284
Are they that Dangerous to the local ecosystem? Seeing how Neos are jobbing to Most fish IT seems weird they are completely forbidden.
In Switzerland all crayfish are forbidden AS Well even though in Germany only procambarus clarkii is banned
>>
>>3871748
What's that blue Coral on the left, fellow Tap water reefer?
>>
>>3872336
Yeah, we've got a buttload of freshwater systems around the country, carps are already a problem in a few lakes and rivers. Our indigenous freshwater critters just get ravaged.
Also, there's this mad lad. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118845051/the-liberator-how-one-mans-15000-pest-fish-changed-new-zealands-waterways
>>
>>3871723
Watch your water salinity, retard.
>>
>>3872372
One of the dangers of using tap water, some can be very high in heavy metals.
>>
>>3872352
>carps
Only natural
Carps are superior and must thrive
>>
>>3871162
Those are some fucking nice rocks. Check out the wide array of deep natural colors and exciting shapes, even lots of hard edges clearly softened by hundreds of years of the elements.
>>
Activated carbon isn't something "necessary" right? it's something you put if your water is murky or something if what i'm reading is correct
Just wondering since i bought an assorted filter media and it came with a tiny pack for free and i don't really want to put it if it's not a permanent addition
>>
>>3872509
>Activated carbon
Chemical filtration
Only needed in very specific situations
When you have dumped too much liquid fertilizers, too much medicine etc
In most cases a big waterchange is just as good
Maybe if you have shitty tap water, and you need to constantly control a certain element
Although its not some sort of ultimate solution for removing any mineral or metal and you will need to check if your specific issue can be solved by carbon
Save it for later. Might be useful at some point.
>>
File: 1609334968640.jpg (79 KB, 941x665)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
watching a lot of youtube videos using polyfill for flossing. Googling polyfill it seems they come in a sheet with a "backing". But most of the videos it looks like the poly they are putting in the filter is fluffy. Do most of you just pull the soft stuff off and put it in the filter or do you cut it to fit?
>>
>>3872287
>The next step will be that I get some Rocks and Glück them together to get a Higher and Safe structure, do I have to worry about cleaning those Rocks Like a Maniac before I Put them in the Tank?
I guess it depends on the source. I haven't had dry rock in years so I have no idea what the market is like now. I did give mine a moderate rinse in dechlorinated tap though. Any dry rock I've ever gotten whether it be my okho for freshwater or pukani for reef has been extremely dusty and filled with sediment.
>>
AHHHHHH THE SNAILS ARE FUCKING AGAIN
>>
>>3872101
i find it easier to take the cap off the glass, and read from above
much easier to tell the colour
>>
File: 5w4t45egvewse4.jpg (34 KB, 400x400)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>3872101
you are probably doing something wrong
can you post the color of the sample-test from the bottled water?
another explanation - pic related
>>
>>3872615
Snails are always fucking though. In the absence of a mate they’ll just fuck themselves to make clones they can mate with
>>
>>3872628
It's almost like they spawn every day. Noticed the bladder snails just a few weeks ago, I need just about a minute to find 15 egg clutches and everything is full of micro snails. I like them, their population is probably going to explode though.
>>
>>3872615
>>3872628
>>3872636
Well they are free glass cleaners and some fishies like eating the small ones.
>>
>>3872513
i just tear a bit enough to fit the filter
>>
anons, can i use methylene blue to disinfect and quarantine plants that i buy for my aquariums? got told so and i got a bottle of it that i never use
>>
can white cloud mountain minnows survive -preferably thrive- in an unheated tank? google says it's k if ambient temp stays 18 Celsius and above, but during the night I imagine that it will sometimes go below that, especially during winter.
Does everyone else keep heating their home even in the middle of the night?
>>
>>3872729
what size tank would you use?
i don't imagine a suitable heater would cost a huge amount of money
>>
>>3872709
methylene blue will kill plants iirc.
>>
>>3872733
thanks anon
>>
>>3872732
I'm thinking of choices for a rather large tank my father left after he passed (about 4 foot long if I remember correctly). Very old and I wouldn't trust to use the heater/ filter equipment that he left.

So I'm thinking of trying a very light bioload and mostly having it for plants. Sponge filtration accompanying this aswell. I enjoy White clouds and would prefer not to have to use/ buy a heater to be honest. Although very unlikely to go wrong, I've heard of heaters just exploding or failing.

I've got a comfy no filter but heated shrimp tank (5 gallons) going right now, and I've also heard they would do fine unheated (of course after being heavily planted enough to hide)/
>>
is clove oil the only anesthetic safe for fish? or is another product out there, dont actually need it but just in case
>>
>>3872170
Well they don’t have the tank I wanted anymore and I don’t think my ikea night stand will be strong enough to risk putting a 9G on it. It’s supposed to be pine wood but even 5G is pushing it. Feels bad man
>>
File: 1595699889357.jpg (2.04 MB, 3024x4032)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
needs some cleaning but just found a nice oak tree root that I'm going to prep for it. I feel there needs to be a little more height in the tank.
>>
when I finally got shrimp to survive, it was because I dripped in water changes. Does everyone do this and just never tell? Every video describes acclimation, but never water changes. Many shrimps died needlessly, maybe to my retardation if this is a completely basic thing.
>>
>>3872857
as opposed to what, dumping a bucket in? yeah.
>>
>>3872875
All info describes small water changes. So I did, small water changes- but yes, dumping the bucket in.
Now there are hundreds of them so I suppose I'm retarded.
>>
>>3872881
I just use a python and avoid doing large water changes unless a parameter is getting way out of whack.
>>
>>3872882
your tank is likely a lot larger than mine. It really got me down when they were dying, and there was no info on it, despite smaller tanks being popular for shrimp.
>>
>>3872882
same, I have a 20" python 1", sucks the crap out without taking much water.
>>
>>3869774
Drops of clove oil, you'll have to look elsewhere to figure out how much is enough without going over board
>>
>>3872927
I've only used this to euthanase fish. Works well but I have no idea what amount would be needed to put them out for a bit.
>>
File: 1602194279312.jpg (110 KB, 1042x664)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
how much semen would cause your teeth to rot like this?
>>
>>3872968
They don't look rotten just fucked up. You can see the teeth pushed back, not missing.
>>
>>3872968
his first mbu puffer was sick for several months and corey cracked the clams with his own teeth and mouth to mouth fed that fish until he was too sick and had to be euthanized.
>>
>>3872797
yeah nightstands aren't really great places to put tanks, they just aren't designed to hold significant loads. Really unless you have a really sturdy piece of oldschool furniture you should be putting tanks on purpose built stands.
>>
>>3872971
>They don't look rotten just fucked up. You can see the teeth pushed back, not missing.
kek, anon half the teeth in his face are rotten. Look at the gum line, shit is black
>>
File: 1620671243347.jpg (55 KB, 1024x937)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
why does fucking nobody carry 15 gallon standard tanks, it's a legitimate dimension, this is bullshit.
>>
File: 1507134847236.jpg (177 KB, 1024x1024)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
Has anyone with an extra bedroom in the house that you don't use ever looked into the costs and logistics of turning that bitch into a giant aquarium?
>>
whats the best way to sterilize a new pre filter sponge? Just got one, a few reviews out of 1800 said they thought there was some type of issue with them right out of the box and killed off their tank. Just to be cautious I'd like to clean it but don't want to bleach them. Soap and water and thoroughly rinse?
>>
>>3872984
No, but here are the problems

1. water is heavy
2. leaks are likely and will be ridiculously hard and expensive to fix compared to smaller tanks
3. built in aquariums actually reduce the value of your home

It's far better to use racks and whatnot to build a fish room, unless that's what you're talking about. In which case basically anyone who reaches the "this is a lifestyle" stage of the hobby will get there. It costs a fortune but if you're sufficiently autistic it completely changes your hobby.
>>
>>3872989
Bleach is good stuff. Dilute it with water, rinse the sponge and sun dry.
>>
>>3872989
>sterilize
an issue like that is probably some kind of industrial chemical, not biological contaminant. I'd rinse it then soak it for a day maybe.
>>
File: 1599747850695.jpg (105 KB, 670x617)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>3872976
>hold significant loads
possibly
>>
>>3872991
>>3872992
thanks anons. been sitting in hot water for the last few hours. Keep replacing the water and letting it soak after cleaning it with regular dawn soap.
>>
>>3872990
Yeah I was talking about one big ass full-room tank. I figured there were reasons it was extremely impractical, sadly.
>>
>>3872998
I mean you could do a center room giant tank, I've seen some sick 800-1,200 discus biotopes done in that format. But a whole room tank wall to wall is kind of dumb.

Also the price of tanks increases exponentially once you get outside of the commercially available tank territory, anything over 125g starts getting difficult to source and really difficult to work with, like with tanks that big you have to knock out a wall to get them in the building or assemble them on-site.
>>
is adding crushed coral to an already established tank a bad idea? I have a pH that has gradually been declining from around 6.5 to 6.0 and I have zero buffer. I'm worried that a temperature swing could nuke my tank as is and I want to keep the tank ideally around 6.5-6.8ish. I have amazonia substrate and my tapwater is basically RO water, comes out of the tap at 18ppm TDS.

My stock is just whiteclouds, shrimp and flagfish, nothing crazy sensitive or particular. I want to get the shrimp breeding, they seem to be OK in the low pH for 6 months now but I haven't seen them try to breed yet. I had my first death today which kind of shocked me, I saw no signs of illness but it came right after I did a major water change yesterday
>>
>>3868287
My mom didn't feed my fish while i was camping and they all starved to death
>>
I have a fluval 306 attached to a 20 gallon aquarium
I assume this is to much for a slow moving fighting fish or neon tetra
What kind of fish might enjoy this heavy flow?
>>
>>3873095
rip sorry to hear that anon. maybe next time invest in and automatic feeder
>>
>>3873099
hillstream loaches
rainbow shiners
zebra danios (a lot of danio species in general)
swordtails (they enjoy flow more than the other livebearers but are a little big for a 20gal)
bamboo shrimp
>>
>>3873104
Thanks for your fast response time and helpful answers
>>
>>3872971
>>3872978
He has a very gummy set of teeth. If you've seen some of his videos showing off the new warehouse (from a year or two back) or home visits for that other breeder bloke, when he does a full smile the gums are about as long as his teeth.
I'm fairly sure he is insecure about them, and desu I probably would be too.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (550 KB, 2560x1440)
550 KB
550 KB JPG
>>3873148
An unflattering image. His gums just did more gum stuff than his teeth did teeth stuff.
>>
>>3873095
So what are you going to get in return for her neglect?
>>
>>3873095
Drown your mom in the tank.
>>
>>3872352
Lmao what an aashole, I am sorry Kiwi friend. Especially since I am a crayfish connisseur and you Guys have the biggest Cray of all AS endemic life
>>
>>3872514
I better rinse them good then, I found a obscure little saltwater Shop in my area where I can Go through the Rock selection. It is more of a Garage Sale than a Store But they have some Rock there.

Thank you for the Help With all that Reef stuff, anon. I appreciate it!
>>
File: folder.jpg (21 KB, 314x316)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>bought 10+ shrimps a month ago
>seems thriving, 2 got pregnant immediately
>down to 5 now somehow
Man i am bad at this
I don't know what happened i've never seen a body dropping or anything they're just gone
Could my betta be eating them? i thought they don't fit in its mouth
>>
File: E1ocEblWQAs7p4C.jpg (93 KB, 480x610)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>3873195
>Could my betta be eating them?
>>
>>3873195
It's likely that your betta is killing them and eating some of it. The shrimp probably took care of the rest of the corpses
>>
File: 1514685667938.jpg (29 KB, 720x736)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>3873195
>>
>>3873195

Gee, why are all my Babies gone? I thought my trusty Pit Bull would Look after them.
>>
>>3873198
>>3873202
>>3873217
>>3873233
come on man i read on some articles that they're an okay tank mates for betta
well lesson learned i guess
>>
File: IMG_20210723_093142.jpg (2.38 MB, 4160x2080)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
After finishing the betta tank, I set up a second one for shrimps.
Anything I should add to it?
How long would it take to cycle using water from my established tank?
Don't worry about the moss balls. Zebra mussels are native to my country.
>>
>>3873195
most likely they are just hiding, did you see at least one corpse? my betta tends to eat only a half of a shrimp once in a while
>>
>>3873274
use part of a filter media from the established tank, not water
>>
>>3873285
the other tank has a small internal sponge filter, would it suffice if i squish this sponge into the tank?
>>
>>3873271
The older your betta gets the more likely He will BE to allow your Shrimps to live, at least that's what I Heard.

It is Always a Matter of how aggressive the fish is, But I have Seen so many Forum Posts on "my betta slaughtered my Cherry Shrimps" that I started to think you have a 80% Chance your betta will be a murderer of Shrimps.
>>
>>3873274
Looks pretty nice.
>>
>>3873314
All anabantids are potential shrimp killers because the antennae look like yummy worms and get nibbled, so even if the shrimp isnt getting killed its getting stressed.
>>
File: 1615580478106.gif (156 KB, 107x112)
156 KB
156 KB GIF
Do bettas poop? I've had mine for a year and I've never seen him poop.
>>
>>3873363
You might need to take him to a proctologist.
>>
>>3872881
I refill for water changes by sticking a bucket on a high shelf and using my siphon to siphon the water into my tank.
>>
>>3872981
Where are the 30 longs?
>>
>>3873409
I don't fucking know because that's a good profile too. 5 and 10 gallons are fucking shit yet you see them everywhere, meanwhile 15 gallons which are just short of the capacity of a 20 long? good fucking luck chump, maybe you can order on on amazon for over $100 and a 50/50 chance it arrived broken and is too heavy to be worth the cost to ship back.
>>
>>3873415
Are custom made tanks not a thing in the usa?
I can go to a glassworker or aquarist shop and order pretty much any dimension I want, small or large.
Usually connected to a furniture maker too, and it's not more expensive than ready made.
>>
>>3873418
They are but custom builders around here don't fuck with anything below 100 gallons, not worth their time. It's too hard to compete with commercial manufacturers in that range, petco does a biannual sale where they sell everything 55 gallons and below for $1 per gallon, so $20 for a 20 gallon tank.
>>
>>3873419
>$/gal sale
Oh, that makes sense. That's a hell of a deal
>>
anons bear with me for a moment:
i know tiny jar/few liters is bad for water quality but so far i'm only keeping ramshorn snails/pond snails/various aquatic invertebrates. Hell i have a thriving colony of ostracods, copepods and even some asellus aquaticus in a lightly planted 1/2 liter jar!
but i have a particular liter jar were some kind of fungus/selly something arises faster than any other place. some white and wispy thing.
it happened with some decayng fishfood once, in another jar too. but since then i scrubbed that specific jar fully and no others have had problems. Mind you, this liter jar has healthy if small snails and even a couple of small gambusias. but no matter how much poop i siphon and how little food i put, the smell comes back and i'm afraid for the inhabitans. Meanwhile 6 tiny gambusias are doing peachy in a same size jar (i'm putting together a proper 10l aquarium for them don't worry). what gives? is it a fungus? bacterium?
>>
File: 1596163890314.jpg (1.98 MB, 2250x3000)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
Damn.... One day of filter floss.

Trying to get rid of tannins. Started noticing the peat was getting all over the plants.
>>
File: 304823048.gif (268 KB, 220x124)
268 KB
268 KB GIF
I pimped out my oscar with a 70gallon tank just so my dumb fuck grandma with Alzheimer's to drop a fuck ton of food on my aquarium ever single fucking day three times a day. I have to be trying to clean my tank because this stupid lady thinks it's a fucking bird. I fucking hate her, I'm going to have to give my fish away because of her I've had him for 9 years

FUCK IT I"M THROWING AWAY MY CABINET I"M MAKING SPACE FOR YOU BUDDY NO MORE OF THIS SHIT
>>
>>3873427
Small water volume problems are vastly overblown here, especially if you have a lid.

Do you have fresh wood in that problematic jar? It could be a fungal bloom feeding off of the new wood (especially sap). As for the smell, that means it's in the middle of a cycle. Your other jars may have such low bioload that the smell from being mid-cycle is negligible, however this one jar with the highest bioload due to the extra decay of whatever is caused that white stuff is making a noticeable smell. Given time, whatever surfaces your nitrobacter and nitrosomonas are colonizing will take care of the smell. Peak bad smell I find is usually about the halfway point to getting to an established, stable cycle.

Going out on a limb here, these jars are only about two weeks old, if not slightly less?
>>
>>3873439
If she actually have Alzheimers, put a sign on the tank: DO NOT FEED - anon.
>>
>>3873445
also don't leave the fucking fish food out in the open

which one of you are retarded again?
>>
>>3873439
Consider a lockable hood/lid, although depending on her mental state, taking away fish food or locking the hood could cause her to do more drastic stuff. Obviously moving the fish to your place is more ideal. It's your fish, should go in your space. You may even want to get a small setup temporarily just to keep the fish safe immediately. Constant overfeeding and pollution could kill it very quickly.
>>
File: jarrarium.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>3873441
>jar age
the one with the smol fishes is about 2 weeks old yeah- it had a small amount of that white wispy thing but it was gone fast. some plant life that was there has since decayed but i'm adding to all jars bits of some hardy waterplant i found and watercress from an outdoor tank.
the first jar had a bunch of snails for a month, then i put a phito in and it got mad roots. that jar is now about 3 months old and has a dozen ramshorn snails living in it np plus some xtra algae growing but not much, i guess the phito roots suck up some extra stuff from old poopies (only have some small pebbles as base)
a 3l plastic container has some silt and a couple pieces of floating water plant but otherwise not muc in it, it's about a month old and had never water quality problems.
ostracods and co jar is also about a month old but it has a nice mixture of silt, pebbles and volcanic prous rocks, though i kelled most stuff in it because i exagerated with a new food when there were like a couple dozen water asellius (miss them so much), the curent population is about 3 weeks old and stable.

i'm less worried thanks, i'll try and get a proper aquarium going fast though. love the fishes and they seems to coexist ine with the snails except when they pick at their shells when hungry, don't seem to hurt them though.
>picrel is the copepod jarrarium- somehow some grass started growing, the roots up high are from some watercress hanging from the top of the jar
>>
I put my tank near the window and the way the evening sun lights it is incredible. A lot of plants and verticality in there so there's dramatic highlights and shadows. Very cool. Honestly surprised after being used to artificial lighting.
>>
File: 1623361204963.jpg (1.84 MB, 2183x3000)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
found this beauty outside yesterday. Scraped off most of the rot and loose pieces. Love the striations due to how it was rotting.
Boiling all day today then soaking it over the weekend. Ordered purigen as I know this is going to leach a lot of tannins.
>>
>>3873472
don't your plants grow annoyingly towards the window then?
When my tank was closer to the window they would all curve towards the light
>>
>>3873484
I just moved it there yesterday so I'll see what happens. I like green algae covering shit and natural appearance in general.
>>
>>3873438
i think carbon helps a lot with tannins
>>
>>3873474
looks like a well seared steak
>>
>>3873488
lol now that I look at the pic, yes it does
>>
>>3873488
forgot, the one reason I really liked it is that the inside is hollow so it would be a nice hideout. Have a few other slate pieces I want to add to the side for more hiding spots
>>
>>3873474
Looks nice and will make an interesting piece.
>>
>>3873472
A few threads ago an anon post his windowside tank and i was also really surprised on how good it looks
>>
>>3873271
You’re not supposed to take any advice from Reddit seriously friend
>>
>>3873439
She has fucking Alzheimer’s you disgusting subhuman faggot. Figure out how to Alzheimer proof it and pray you don’t end losing your mind like that one day and stop being a little bitch
>>
>>3871446
Doctors do not solve problems they only medicate the symptoms.
You don't have bipolar disorder.
I'm willing to bet money all you've got is a bad diet and complete lack of exercise.
How often do you go to the gym?
Once?
Twice a day?
Never?
You should try to exercise at least once a day, no, walking the dog does not count, no, doing your job at work does not count either
You eat liquorice?
It causes mood swings in women, it has an artificial estrogen mimic in it, Google it.
You drink soda pop?
Cut that shit out too.
I was in medical school for a few years but I decided I don't want to drug people to make them feel better
Better to solve the actual problem, drugs often create new problems
>>
>>3871446
I would pay you money for the duckweed and the snails if I lived close
My turtles love eating duck weed, some of the bigger fish do as well
There's a few fish which love to eat snails, loaches especially
Loaches also have cute little faces
Maybe get a few loaches and let them do the cleaning for you
Clown loaches have spikes that they can shoot out the sides of their cheeks to smash into shells
Not sure if all loaches have these spikes though
Kuhli loaches are my favorite, like tiny eels
They use their little tentacle mouths to suck the snail right out of their shells
>>
File: 4a4ff4f4r6ghdr5.jpg (61 KB, 1094x604)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>3873651
i dont believen in any of them fancy disorders/depressions either, but you are not House MD, you can't diagnose someone on an internet aquarium board
>>
If I have a 70 gallon filter on a 20 gal Aquarium could I put more fish in the tank than normal?
Like normally I have been told only 1 fish per 5 gallon but I want more than just 4 fish.
Yes it does create a heavy flow but it's mostly at the top/back of the tank.
I have only one Paradise gourami so far and it spent the night on the ground of the tank but today it's swimming around fine.
I asked yesterday what fish I could put in and got a really good answer but I forgot what he said..
Is there an archive or link to the last thread?
Can anybody tell me again good fish for this heavy flow setup?
>>
>>3873661
>You are not house MD
What if I told you that I actually am James Hugh Calum Laurie?
I'm not diagnosing, I'm giving anti diagnoses and telling people their health is the problem not a lack of drugs.
>>
File: yer65e4s.jpg (592 KB, 1512x2016)
592 KB
592 KB JPG
>>3873672
>I actually am James Hugh Calum Laurie
that would be very amusing, since i'm currently re-watching House MD and i've heard random people telling me that i slightly resemble Hugh Laurie
>>
>>3871748
Nope. That looks like some science fiction landscape. Not aesthetic.

Plus saltwater is bad for the environment.
>>
File: 1615372460607.gif (1.12 MB, 450x254)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB GIF
>>3873661
>i dont believen in any of them
>>
File: 1610566395062.webm (1.47 MB, 426x314)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB WEBM
>>3873723
>Plus saltwater is bad for the environment.
>>
>>3873651
>but I decided I don't want to drug people to make them feel better
T/N: I am a giant retard that flunked out of medschool
>>
>>3873748
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tropical-depression-your-saltwater-fish-tank-may-be-killing-the-ocean/
>>
>>3873723
> saltwater bad for environment
> most of the earth is covered in saltwater

ISHYGDDTFFS...
>>
>>3873748
https://earth.org/the-destructive-truth-behind-aquariums/
>>
>>3873762
>saltwater is bad for the environment
Is not the same argument as
>buying fish unsustainably harvested from the ocean
>>
>>3873766
Holy shit you are a literal retard
>>
>>3873748
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/160310-aquarium-saltwater-tropical-fish-cyanide-coral-reefs
>>
>>3873768
Wow great comeback faggot.
>guys don’t take any medicine at all it’s bad for you
>what about antibiotics
>ACKSHUALLY I MEANT HARD DRUGS
This is how fucking stupid you are
>>
>>3873766
the majority of saltwater fish are still wild caught, while (depending on the species) most freshwater fish are captive bred.
>>
>>3873668
Depends on the fish. Don't pay attention to the one fish per 5 gallon. Like 1 common goldfish is too much for a standard 20G long (30" x 12" x 12") tank however 20 neon tetras is perfectly fine for that same tank. That's a pretty nice first fish, btw. I've had dwarf gourami, but never that particular gourami.

As for filtration, you don't need to have it on full blast. The higher flow rate is only part of the reason why it is rated for 70G, the other is the media capacity.

>>3873762
>>3873765
>>3873769
The problem with all these articles and anti-saltwater aquarium propaganda is that it equates correlation to causation, and ignores the 800 lbs gorilla. Commercial fishing, industrial waste, and to a lesser extent, tourism are all causes of degradation to saltwater fish population by SEVERAL orders of magnitude greater than hobby fishing, and even coral gathering.

The percentage of coral and fish that is gathered from the ocean is so minuscule that collectors often go back to where they gathered from and can't even find evidence they were there before. However commercial fishing will completely devastate an area in just a few short years, and it will affect not just the target fish, but everything in that area. People are too braindead to think at scale.

Conversely, freshwater hobby has shown quite a few times that it has had an adverse effect on freshwater fish populations, because they are much smaller and are not able to recover. Everyone seems to ignore that because... well there's so many fucking idiots in the world. The industry has gotten much better about it in the past 20 years due to breeding, however every time a new fish is "discovered" by the hobby, they are farmed to near extinction as their habitat and thus population is already rather small.
>>
>>3873777
Let’s pretend for a second that he actually said wild harvested fish like an intelligent poster. From gobies to clownfish there is not an insignificant number of saltwater fish that are captive bred. To imply THE ENTIRE marine aquarium trade is damaging to the environment is an ignorant low IQ position to take.
You’ll note not a single person arguing against this indicated that buying wild caught fish is an acceptable practice.
>>
>>3873788
I actually just posted above implying that it is okay. However in practice 100% of my tanks (both fresh and salt) are captive-bred. Even all the coral are frags from local reefers.

I think the only think in either of my tanks that are not captive-bred are mariculture inverts.
>>
File: PXL_20210723_214320053~2.jpg (1.37 MB, 2592x1737)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>3873786
Not my first fish or aquarium, just setting it up again after total failure
I had got a job and gave all my fish away
Then the tank filled with algae so I bleached it because the internet told me to
Turns out I used to much bleach or left the plants in to long or both because...
Well I think you can see what happened
Most of the plants had to be pulled and dumped
My moss balls didn't make it :(

How could I lower the flow?
There is no adjuster on the pump..
Do I just add more shit inside the pump?
Here is my nightmare tank btw
>>
>>3873790
While I understand your post I do not feel there is enough data to support your position. Perhaps you are right but most evidence is towards the contrary. Nonetheless as marine farming tech and practices develop inevitably we can expect a much broader selection of marine fish for single moms to neglect to a slow and torturous death - though it will be sustainable! At least when those get flushed down the toilet they will not shit up local freshwater ecosystems
>>
File: PXL_20210723_214929899~2.jpg (1.13 MB, 1650x2585)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>3873794
It's resting on top of a cutting board because the sowing machine table wasn't wide enough
I quite literally have nightmares about this tank failing
>>
File: PXL_20210723_215204847~2.jpg (368 KB, 1294x1910)
368 KB
368 KB JPG
>>3873797
Had this tank for over 20 years
It had a leopard gecko in it for 14 years
He spent the last 3 years of his life in a 100 gallon long tank with live plants and insects (lost all photos)
I just super glued this missing chunk with baking soda
Internet told me to do this instead of using silicone because silicone does not bond to silicone and to fix with silicone would mean redoing the entire tank
>>
>>3873033
Remove all the fish and the shrimp will start breeding uncontrollably.
You will have so many shrimp you will have to start selling them or put your fish back in the tank.
Basically what I'm saying is, they're far to stressed to give birth, and even if they did they would be eaten
>>
>>3873668
it's in this thread ya dingus.
>>3873104

Note that most fish are flow neutral unless you have just stupid levels of flow. Generally speaking anything that is a stagnant water specialist (anabantids, ricefish, flagfish and a lot of the mud puddle annual kilifish) generally dislike high flow and will be best with a sponge filter. Fish with shorter finnage and more streamlined bodies generally tolerate high flow better, depending on the species they may or may not thrive or even need good flow. Shiners for example really do prefer some flow and won't breed without it. White clouds come from a somewhat similar environment yet they can do fine and will breed whether you have power heads or just a sponge filter.
>>
>>3873794
>>3873797
>>3873800
Can anybody identify this plant for me?
I want to know if this excitement I'm trying might work.
It used to have green leaves going all up the stems before I bleached them
Since they were basically dead, I cut them all in half and stuck the cuttings into the soil to see if they would grow from the cuttings.
Thanks
>>
>>3873811
AHA!
Thank you so much!
I tried scrolling up and down and just missed it I guess!
I also checked the last thread and of course it wasn't there! Haha
I was recommended Danios at the pet store as well but they were all grey and boring looking
I got an albino Paradise gourami and a kuhli loach with a few blue mystery snails
The kuhli loach has claimed the filter sponge as his home
>>
>go to one pet store
>Neon tetra $2.99 each
>Go to another pet store
>Cardinal tetra $4.99 each
>They are clearly neon tetra
>Inform the employees
>They argue with me
>Show them pictures on my phone
>They give surprised Pikachu face
Why are they so over priced
I wish fish keepers would breed and sell at lower prices dammit
>>
>>3873827
tetras are annoying to spawn and can still be imported wild caught, captive bred populations are really fucking inbred and retarded for most species. If you want cheap and easy get into livebearers or kilifish.
>>
>>3873855
Isn't importing wild caught fish always bad though?
I was going to get pea puffer fish until I found out they were wild caught
>>
File: PXL_20210723_225218103~2.jpg (718 KB, 2118x1483)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
I've been waiting a while but the loach finally showed itself
>>
Seeing most DIY setups for sumps/filters, particularly the mechanical filtration coming first (high to low porosity) so as to stop detritus and shit getting into the structures of biological filtration (i.e ceramic media, whatever you're using), why then is it that most external filters from the box seem to work in reverse of that?
Is it some tinfoil hat scheme to sell more filter consumables?
>>
File: IMG_20210410_162644[1].jpg (305 KB, 1850x832)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>3873872
Crack noodle!
Do you have more of them? They are a little more curious if there's a half dozen.
>>
Always loved Aquariums. Sadly stores ask for exorbitant prices here. A 5 gallon without anything other than the glass and lid costs 30 euros, not counting light, filtration, sand and other stuff.
A small complete kit, of 6 gallon costs between 64 euros.

I've been scavanging stuff, from chinese stores and their aquariums seem nice but I've noticed their edges seem glued with paste and are cracked, They don't seem very trusty either.
>>
>>3873769
ok kiddo

>over 97 percent of the earth's water is found in the oceans as salt water
>>
>>3873769
You assume the global market caters to the need of the US. Twenty years ago it may have been so, but not today. The Chinese Market has little care of bothers on how the fish are caught of if the coral reef is destroyed beyond redemption. They will not stop, they will not cease and they will consume until there is nothing left. The US's embargo has little power over the market now.

If you want to get stuff done you need to CCP to do something about it, otherwise no. It won't happen.
>>
This guy dumb or retarded?

https://youtu.be/dVgRJSfbnXA
>>
>>3873928
Nothing short of what most shills will do when asked to review a product. Just looks at the marketing and the physicality of it.
No claims are substantiated and are simple conjecture.
>>
>>3873932
The biggest thing I noticed was the "comments turned off"
>>
>>3873868
It's almost always worse than buying captive bred but for some species it's just more economical. Nanofish can be sustainably harvested for the aquarium trade and some fisheries like those of the south american tetras are usually sourced fairly responsibly by indigenous peoples. The neon tetra fishery is actually used as a 'cornerstone' for conservation in parts of the amazon basin because no upland, no tetra habitat, so their value as aquarium fish helps provide economic incentives to not trash the forest.
>>
>>3873794
Why would you think it's a good idea to pout bleach in your tank?
>>
File: 1618094976307.jpg (53 KB, 542x311)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>3873942
"because the internet told me to"
>>
>>3873949
Ah, ok. Next time when everything starts dying from the bleach bath pour some battery acid in. That neutralizes the pH.
>>
>>3873956
fuck that, I'll just throw the battery into the side of the tank.
>>
>>3873957
That's only for the more experienced hobbyists.
>>
>>3873958
kek
>>
>>3873958
works best with saltwater btw. My clownfish loves his used car battery decoration.
>>
>>3873995
Of course. If the battery has still a bit of juice in it it gives the fishies nice jolt before leaking into the water. Saltwater conducts better.
>>
>>3873998
What if I haven't got a spare car battery?
Can I just throw in a couple of AAs as a light snack?
>>
>>3874002
I think it depends on the size of your fishes. AAs is safe but for bettas and bigger throw couple 9volts in there. Bettas might go bit crazy though. More than they normally are.
>>
File: IMG_20210723_184643.jpg (1.78 MB, 4032x3024)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
my new flagfish is significantly more handsome than the other one, I notice the females pal around with him more often now. Now I feel bad for adding him because the old one who's bigger but also a little tarded will become a fincel.
>>
>>3874101
>>3874101
>>3874101
>>
>>3873271
>come on man i read on some articles
not enough or your reading comprehension is terrible. Most articles will say 'its possible' or 'they can BUT' while warning you that they can and WILL eat shrimp and need to be watched

imo, a docile betta will still go after any newborn shrimplets and thats the thing that will give it a taste for the adults
>>
>>3873274
>How long would it take to cycle using water from my established tank?

about 4-6 weeks. What you SHOULD do is put a second sponge in the newly cycled tank and transfer that over to the shrimp tank in a month or so
>>
File: Snapchat-2127459874.jpg (1.52 MB, 1947x3840)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
Got my mollies in the crab coast

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.