[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: corgo.jpg (307 KB, 1396x938)
307 KB
307 KB JPG
summer games edition
>>
>>3866750
is /dog/ general dead? I have not seen a general in months...whats going on here?
>>
>>3867128
People rarely make replacement threads before the old ones 404 so they take a bit to coalesce.
>>
My dog is very weird. She's a french bulldog, and she just likes standing too much. Like, usually dogs will sit down right? Or lay down if they're not doing anything. Not her. She'll stand there, in the middle of the room. She'll go to sleep normally and i even talked to a vet about it and she's apparently fine. She's just a weirdo who doesn't sit down, she idles standing up.
>>
was anyone else super picky about what dog they got?
>>
File: IMG_20210716_201711.jpg (289 KB, 1080x1070)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
How often should I bathe my dogger?
>>
>>3867179
Extremely. Down to specific studs from specific bloodlines crossed with bitches from winning sires.
>>
>>3867128
>>3866750
Previous thread >>3858324
>>
File: IMG_20201226_113941_245.jpg (2.74 MB, 2648x3310)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
I've always been very careful but in spite of that, Inga got bloat. It happened while she slept soundly in her crate overnight without food or water. When she woke up she was a total mess. Throwing up all over the place, couldn't keep water down, lethargic, bloated. Rushed her off to the vet when I realized what was going on. X-rays showed she was significantly bloated but that nothing had twisted yet so she's safe and no operation was required. The vet said sometimes this happens and there's no obvious cause. A couple of injections later and I took her home with a bag of medication to aid digestion and resolve the bloating. That was yesterday. I'm giving her seven pills a day, which she hates. It's been a struggle to get her to drink but her appetite is finally coming back. We acted quickly and she's going to be fine but it very easily could have gone bad. So frightening that it could just happen out of nowhere. Have an appointment to get her stomach tacked when she gets spayed in a few weeks.
>>
>>3867273
Christ I am never going to get a german shepherd

Huskies might not be as smart and demand more activity but they seem to be an extremely healthy breed
>>
>>3867290
>>3867273
Do german shepherds generally have lots of health issues? I only know that they frequently have hip problems.
>>
>>3867326
they're one of the worst breeds for mammary tumors apparently
>>
>>3867273
Well, luckily torsion didn't occur with the bloat. You can attribute that to her not being a giant breed, which frequently suffer from this.
My question to you is this. What is her feeding schedule like? How many meals per day and how much feed, as this is the primary culprit behind bloat, and can easily be remedied by an overhauled feeding schedule.
Your best bet is to keep her food intake level the sane, but break it up in to smaller bits throughout the day. Three to four times if you can manage, that way her food can adequately digest before bed time.
I hope torsion never befalls her, as there is literally nothing you can do for her, and your window of time to recognize it and get her in for emergency surgery (sadly the only way to fix it) is so narrow, you will 99.9% have a dead animal waiting for you *knock on wood*.
>>
File: IMG-20210717-WA0000.jpg (1.14 MB, 3840x2160)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>3867273
Wew luckily Blacky doesn't have a deep chest due to his lab and pitbull heritage so that's something I'm not worried about. I still feed him only cold pressed kibbles and shit like that to prevent his stomach from extending too much
>>
Why do people even allow dogs that are prone to bloat to breed? It's worse than hip dysplasia and cancer combined.
>>
File: 1626510141180.jpg (2.52 MB, 2160x3840)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>3867428
Retarded beauty standards. Same with snub nosed french bulldogs and pugs with closed nose holes that almost asphyxiate just by walking and die from riding in slightly warm cars in summers, even with windows open.
>>
My wife wants to get a puppy. I'm all for it, except I want to train it to sniff out drugs. She is against this for some reason, so I thought I might do it in secret. Has anyone here ever trained a dog like this before?
>pic related
>>
>>3867442
You know exactly why

Next time she's gone have an actual drug sniffing dog pay your home a visit
>>
My dog is a serial trip hazard, he sprawls out in door ways and follows your every step in the kitchen but is not quick enough to get out of the way. How do I fix this?
>>
>>3867326
>>3867332
This is only true for the "show" line of the breed, the real Alsacian, as used by the police etc is perfectly fit and healthy. They are however not """""pure""""".
>>
>>3867442
Are you a fed? If so fuck off. If not no reason to teach it to sniff drugs. Dumb idea. Just get a puppy.
>>
>>3867339
Two meals a day. She's been been picky about breakfast lately. She gets just shy of two cups of kibble each meal. If she didn't eat her breakfast she gets an even two cups. Then an hour or more before bed she gets a dental chew made out of vegetables. She absolutely never gets exercised or has anything to drink for an hour after a meal. We also moderate how quickly she drinks water and she generally only gets it when she asks for it. We don't keep it out. I had a great dane get bloat when someone was watching him. It was horrible.

Her last meal the night before her bloat was at least three hours before bed with her dental chew at least an hour. She was fine all night and then around 800 she throws up in her crate.
>>3867618
>>3867332
>>3867326
There are lines out there that are largely very healthy dogs and purebred. In Germany they have very strict standards for breeding where you have to get schutzhund titles to breed your dog. That ensures the health of the breed. Inga is an American pet line which is a way of saying that she wasn't bred very carefully. She'll probably end up with some problems but not others, it's hard to say. I'll definitely be letting her breeder know about this though.
>>
>>3867623
Bloat can happen unrelated to food intake. Bad sleeping position, too deep chest and flat belly and bam
>>
>>3867290
Bloat isnt a german shepherd issue and can absolutely affect huskies lol
>>
>>3867442
Unless you’re an actual police officer you will fail
>>
should you be able to see a dog’s ribs?
>>
>>3867705
For sleek running dogs; if they run A LOT and eat A LOT its fine
>>
My puppy is now 8kg
I still have two flea/worm treatments for puppies up to 4kg
Can I just use both on him, i.e dose by weight, or should I buy one for bigger dogs and bin the smaller ones
>>
>>3867768
The fuck is kg? Nah, get the meds for a dog that 12 stones+.
>>
>>3867273
It never ends does it? Don't worry, it happens, just dont fall the high feeder bowls.
>>
>>3867810
Nope, it never does. My cat is sick too. I've been to the vet with her every day for the past 10 or so days. Kidney disease. So I'm down like $3k in the last month on pet emergencies and now Inga is getting dental cleaning, spay, and a stomach tack. Fuck me.

How are the pups doing? Is mom tired of their shit yet?
>>
>>3867872
She may not be but I am. Literally. She started smelling, despite my best efforts to keep them all clean. So we went to the creek for a dive and some rest and then took a good bath back home... she did enjoy her time off...
>>
>>3867768
Bin them.
>>
Just lost my dog very suddenly to cancer. At first thought the sudden breathing problems and tiredness wete due to heatwave and old age but then we got the diagnosis and it became clear that no treatment option was viable. Just a week ago I had no doubts about there being still at least a couple years to spend together and her condition getting better after it became colder.

All kinds of habits you're used to are suddenly gone. Leaving door slightly open so she can come sleep in your room, not opening door abruptly in case she is sleeping on the other side, watching step where her food plates used to be but now is empty etc. Life feels a lot emptier now.

I can thank covid for one thing, thanks to it I got to spend her final 6 months together instead being at uni. Each night I'd make food and she'd get to eat warm chicken daily, go for long walks whenever she felt like it. I really spoiled her during this time and in hindsight I don't regret any of it one bit, her final months were good. I'm glad I got to take her for her final walk outside and caress her as she lost her consciousness for final time as first sedative put her to sleep. But I do wonder if she knew something bad was going to happen to her because compared to usual vet trip everyone was sad and she must've sensed the mood.
>>
My friend's dog has a habit of leaning hard against you if you scratch around her shoulder while she's standing by your side. I've a lot experience with dogs but never saw that before. I think it's really cute.

Usually they just sit or lay down if they're in mood for scratches.
>>
Ever since I got my puppy my own shits have stunk as bad as his shits do
Are we syncing up
>>
keeping dog inside: yes or no?
letting dog sleep in bed with you: yes or no?
>>
>>3868230
No
Yes
>>
>>3868230
Yes
Yes
My dog doesn’t want to be outside even if I keep the door open and I have a super king bed so he sleeps at our feet without annoying us
>>
File: 1626586379669.jpg (775 KB, 3000x2250)
775 KB
775 KB JPG
This is the ideal canine form. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.
>>
File: 1554412200815.jpg (50 KB, 847x572)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>Out of dog food
>Grocery store is closed because of a gas leak and the nearest other place with dog food is over 30 miles away
>Dog is hungry and crying
I feel so fucking terrible, /an/. Can he eat white rice and ragu? I don't have any meat sitting around to cook for him but I really want to give him something. All I've got is bread, rice, some Velveeta slices and the ragu.
>>
>>3867442
Well, thebeginnings of this training begin with 'find it', as in they learn to identify a toy of theirs by smell, or a treat even. Once they know the command itself, you evolve it to where they have a 'tell', a signal where they inform you they've found what you asked them to. Usually this is performed with a sit, but you can modify it to whatever suits you (barking for example).

>>3867623
Odd is all I have to say about her experience with bloat there. How fast does she eat? Excess air in the stomach from eating too quickly can cause it as well.
>>
>>3868317
You have other problems if this is all you have in your fridge, the hell is the matter with you?
>>
File: Blue-Eyes White Dog.jpg (149 KB, 720x960)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>3868317
yes, you could feed that to your dog. but a healthy dog isn't going to get hurt by a day of fasting. in fact, me and mine fast once weekly on purpose. but it sounds like you do not ahve your shit together. maybe in the future have an emergency stash of food for your dog?

>>3868310
I very much like it but evidently not as much as you... pls do not fuck dogs!

>>3867977
>she must've sensed the mood

lrn from this 4chan! NEVER be sad when doing your last run to the vet. don't make your dog spend his last moments wondering why you are so upset. pretend. be happy. you can cry/kys after.

>>3868230
>keeping dog inside: yes or no?
if the dog is outside only, why even have one? dog's should, if possible, be able to go outside on their own...

>letting dog sleep in bed with you: yes or no?

no. dogs sleep like shit and get hot af. if you sleep in one bed, neither of you will get a good night's rest. mine would get in and out of be 30 times easily in one night. this would also pose a significant danger of injury from falling, slipping etc. - it's best for your dog to have it's own bed/den/kennel close by where it can rest safely....
>>
>>3868322
I live in a rural spot and only make occasional trips to the grocery store. I have vegetables I grow for myself as well, but there's nothing edible right this second. I don't really mind eating sparsely between trips, things just got thrown out of whack by not being able to get groceries at all today on account of the gas leak.
>>
>>3868323
>Sees a german shepherd and thinks about fucking dogs
Anon I have bad news for you

>>3868230
Yes
Yes, but I sleep on the floor like a real samurai. Dog beds are stupid. You already have a bed.
>>
>>3868323
>pls do not fuck dogs
enough of this, everyone knows the whole routine, don't even bring it up
>yes we know the dog might very well like it
>yes we know everyone has different definitions of consent between what's legal, practical, and important to your personal code of ethics
>yes we know you just think it's gross for some reason
>yes we know what your desert fairy tales said
>yes we know you think humans should be an R selected species and all members must breed prolifically
>yes we know you like birds more
>yes we know which dogs are big enough
>yes we have heard your angry murderous rants already
>yes we know you feel persecuted because you can't ask the vet for dog sex tips
>no we do not have any hint hint wink wink breeds you might be interested in
>yes everyone does look at you weird if you ask for an ovary sparing spay
Did I miss any of the regulars?
It could go on forever...
>>
>>3868323
>Herding dog fag
>Thinks dogs sleep like shit
Of course. They don't want to count sheep, they want to herd sheep. Most dogs just shift around now and then and half-wake to look around and then go back to bed.

You'll never get a collie or husky or some other psycho dog to sit still unless they work literally all day.
>>
>>3868354
>Most dogs just shift around now and then and half-wake to look around and then go back to bed.

thats what I said. I can easily sleep 8-10hrs without waking up. my dog can't. and it's not because we don't work enough....
>>
>>3868359
If you think that's horrible never, ever marry.

Dogs are better sleeping partners than women. For starters, their feet aren't cold, and they don't hog the blankets. They're actually happy if you hog them instead.
>>
>>3868351
>yes everyone does look at you weird if you ask for an ovary sparing spay
do they really though? i was seriously considering one

>we just run together a lot and i'd rather do extra mammary tumor screenings than worry about her hips
>the data on health was too inconclusive for me, so it seems like regular spaying is just pushed because it's a cheap and convenient way to stop dogs from having litters

surely no one would think anything like that. surely.
>>
>>3866750
aight lads golden retriever puppy arrives next month and I have questions
Is there a gold standard book on puppy training?
And furthermore, the puppy got sick twice (two bowel obstructions, had to get surgery each time). To me, it makes me think that the owners/breeders didn't take proper care of the puppies. But my GF is already emotionally invested and still wants that specific puppy. Am I right in my assumption that the breeders are likely scumbags and the dog will have complications in the future or is this something that "just happens sometimes"? She is also supposed to pay 1500 for it, should the price go down since the puppy had to have surgery?
>>
>>3868375
Spaying is generally pushed by vets and trainers because there is a very large portion of owners who are just pure retards. It's easier to tell everyone to get a spay and make spays cheap and easy than it is to weed out the retards because theres just so many.
Imo get a spay if you want. Get an ovary sparing spay if you want. Who gives a shit its your fucking dog. You're not cropping its ears or anything, spays are atleast useful.
>>
This is Bowie, Husky Collie cross. He's brilliant with people and pups but hated walking (on the lead I mean.) for the first few weeks.
>>
>>3868416
Eh...$1500 for a golden pup? The fuck, is it's pedigree exclusively championed show or field dogs that have all saved a Timmy from a well? That's a bit expensive there, bud, even if the little bugger never had surgery.
>>
>>3868416
>the puppy got sick twice (two bowel obstructions, had to get surgery each time)
wtf. how old is it? what caused the obstructions? i wouldn't even pay $500 for a puppy that already had 2 major surgeries. goldens can have a ton of health problems, especially if they're from shitty breeders which it seems like that one is.
>>
>>3868475
>>3868483
It's a regular golden retriever and the seller is a female doctor
Apparently the obstructions were caused by bad water
Sadly my GF is pretty retarded so she might still pay full price for it since she already "fell in love" with that specific puppy
>>
>>3868505
If you're a doctor you can afford to get your water system overhauled, she's just thirsty for a quick buck, tell your GF you need to look somewhere else. $1500 is outrageous for such a common breed without it having a pedigree a few feet long with multiple champions on both sides.
>>
>>3868209
It must be a ton of work for both of you. How many more weeks until they're gone?
>>3867977
I'm so sorry, anon. The heatwave logic makes sense. It sounds like you handled it logically. There's no shame in getting another dog quickly if you need one.
>>3868321
I'd actually hand fed her her meal that night because she gets picky sometimes so it took at least five minutes. She's not very food motivated.
>>3868326
What's your experience been growing your own food? I've never gardened before but I have an obscene amount of land available to grow food. As a matter of fact my property used to be a farm. I was thinking it probably makes more sense to grow my own. What kind of space do you garden in and how much food does it bring in?
>>3868473
What a handsome boy!
>>3868505
Obstructions from water? How is that supposed to work? I agree with the other anon that I'd be shy about getting a new puppy that's already had serious health issues.
>>
>>3868509
Man, I tried, but the sellers keep sending my GF pictures and videos of the puppy and she's already completely emotionally invested. Hopefully she'll at least clear up the cost. Been trying to find more info on this topic but it seems like 99% of info online is emotionally manipulative nonsense
>>
50 bucks got me the best mutt, even got extra fleas for free. She's always been smart, loyal and super eager to please.
>>
>>3868517
Thanks! He's obviously gotten bigger since then and now he's fully vaxxed, so next up is his big chop.
>>
>>3868517
> how do you get obstructions caused by water

Mineral deposits, simple as. Really should have syringed some apple cider vinegar in to the pups gullet, probably would have cleaned it out.

>>3868518
Ah yes...if she insists on getting this pup even after it's been confirmed to come from an obviously less than reputable breeder, having had to have a surgical procedure, I couldn't fathom paying more than $200, but I haggle more viciously than a Jew and a Turk haggling an Indian carpet merchant, so...
>>
>>3868527
I'm surprised that I've met some old school trainers who were strongly against vaccines other than rabies.

As for his de-balling make sure to give him at least a year. It's important he go through puberty.
>>3868529
Huh, that's interesting. As for the surgical procedures I feel like most breeders would just put the dog down. Puppies are so fragile already.
>>
>>3868537
huh? A year with his balls? or a year old? They vet says it can be done at 6 months....
>>
>>3868538
A year old. It's seriously important that dogs go through puberty normally. The traditional wisdom was to neuter early but evidence has been increasing that for long-term skeletal and joint health they need that rush of hormones to properly develop. It can also reduce the risk of more general forms of cancer. I'd urge you to not let the vet influence you here and to do some research and come to your own conclusions. Inga's first vet wanted to spay her at four months but I looked into it and refused. Her subsequent vets guffawed at the thought of spaying a four month old.
>>
>>3868540
Thanks I appreciate the advice. I'll definitely look into this some more.
>>
>>3867273
Too much sodium, you imbecile.
>>
>>3868540
You're supposed to do to that female dogs though, because their pussy looks gross otherwise.
>>
I'm housesitting my mom's dog and he keeps shitting/pissing on the floor. He has a doggie door. Before she left he would use it alone, now he seems afraid to go outside. He doesn't listen when I call him out. Wat do?
>>
>>3868647
to clarify: he doesnt listen when i call him outside lol
>>
File: thinking about Jas....jpg (1.39 MB, 2592x1456)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>3868362
>If you think that's horrible never, ever marry.

lol. I laffed first but then got srsly sad for a bit.

>Dogs are better sleeping partners than women.

ho shit....

>>3868375
>do they really though? i was seriously considering one

well they do bc it's not a common procedure and regular vet training does not include one. you have to really do your research and hunt for a vet that has the expertise to perform one correctly....

>>3868544
>Too much sodium, you imbecile.

care to explain?

>>3868527
>>3868473
>Husky Collie cross

forbidden doge/10

>>3868375
>File: da3a9707a76f65994931c774c(...).jpg (805 KB, 2592x3872)

wud beat with pool noodle until it cries in desperation/10
>>
>>3868647
take the dog outside first thing in the mornings. when it does its bizniz, reward it with pets, a treat, a bout of play and further walking/playing - whatever the dog likes. DO NOT go inside immediately after or the dog will learn to keep it in to avoid going back inside. exercise the dog for a reasonable time, 45-120mins depending on breed, age, health status and the type of exercise you'll be doing. doing it in the morning has many advantages, one being you'll avoid the heat. after that, feed and water the dog and take it outside every 4 hrs to piss again
>>
>>3868657
thank you anon
>>
>>3868647
drag him outside
>>
>>3868660
no srsly. you can't expect a dog to know what's going on just like that. you ahve to create a set in stone schedule that it can settle into. just take the leash, say something natural like "OUTSIDE!", clip the dog in and go outside. whenever it does something well, like pissing, say something like GOOD!, give it the rubb down to reward it and continue...
>>
>>3868544
Unless Inga's owner is feeding her a trash ass dog food and tons of Beggin' Strips (which I highly doubt in both cases), this isn't the culprit. She could have eaten too quickly at one point and ingested air, which can cause it as well, just like it can in us. To get the sodium ion poisoning you're referring to, the victim's diet has to be complete garbage.
>>
>>3868714
he said she was being a picky eater lately. its quite possible she had some form of minor GI thing, be it viral or bacterial or just from a bad jolt or whatever, which made her uncompfy and then she makes it worse by being restless and swallowing air or eating weirdly or whatever.

>Beggin' Strips

just googled this. ffs. how depraved can dog food makers be?
>>
wtf my dog is a dirty bitch
>>
>>3868726
>all the dirty puddles, creeks, stinky ponds, lakes and mud: GOAT!
>clean warm water in bathtub at home: ZOMG why are you trying to kill me?

t. me dog
>>
I love doggo's and puppers they are cute and based!
>>
>>3868545
>Prioritizing the appearance of a dog's genitals over their health
>>
What are some dog treats you would recommend for training a puppy?
>>
>>3868538
Sometimes it depends on the breed. With very small breeds its of course recommended you wait until 1 year but you can get away with 8 months or so.
With giant breeds like Newfoundlands or Bernards you must wait 2 or more years to allow their massive heads to grow in.
>>
>>3868771
>massive heads
H-hot.
>>
>>3868728
>clean warm water in bathtub at home: ZOMG why are you trying to kill me?
Accurate, why are they like this.
>>
>>3868764
Some breeds can't even have natural births 90% of the time.
>>
File: 14 weeks.jpg (624 KB, 1536x2048)
624 KB
624 KB JPG
What does pup mean by this pose? He's been sleeping like this sometimes lately.
>>
File: 1625915810836.jpg (599 KB, 2736x3215)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
>>3868864
>it's not gonna suck itself
>>
>>3868864
Oh god anon dont post a bully breed here you're gonna attract the retards
>>
>training dog to stay on property
or at least off the road
is it possible?
>>
File: 9 Weeks.jpg (351 KB, 1200x1600)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
>>3868997
He's a good boy, dindu nuffin.
>>
>>3868864
it means your dog is super comfortable and feels safe enough to sleep with its soft vulnerable belly exposed
>>
>>3869016
Maybe not yet
>>
File: IMG_20210719_033356_708.jpg (93 KB, 960x1280)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Help me with advice on choosing a dog breed. I was looking for australian shepherd but it's literally impossible to get one in my country (so I emailed foreign kennels and they all told me I won't get happy with their puppy as a family dog since it's a working line). I also like russian borzoi but they are too big for my 55 square meters apartment, so I decided to stop on corgi. This is the one on pic that I found and about to get. What do you think?
>>
>>3869109
Corgi looks inbred.
>>
>>3869109
why don't you stop being a retarded memer and just get whatever small docile apartment dog is common in your country
>>
>>3869123
Since most of small dog breeds are as dumb and ugly as you are and I need intelligent and good family dog who will be cautious with my baby
>>
>>3869258
yet you're getting an inbred corgi lmao tard
>>
>>3869258
Then get a dumb and ugly small dog. A corgi is too intelligent for you.
>>
>>3869283
Nobody cares about your complexes
>>
We just had to put our family dog to sleep
Never saw my mother cry so much before, cannot be contained
>>
File: grhftxvkgvnx.jpg (163 KB, 1412x1784)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>3869258
Unironically get a papillion AKA a european chihuahua

>insecure dudebros: lmao, rat dog! not a dog! rat! cat! lmao! rat!
>papillion: *is smarter than 90% of large dogs*
#8 bitches https://www.dogbreedslist.info/smartest-dog-breeds
>ctrl + f husky
>#45
lmao
>inb4 NOOO MY WIFE ISNT DUMB SHES JUST TOO INDEPENDENT FOR OBEDIENCE
smart dogs know that doing tricks gets them paid, biiiiitch
>>
File: hxBDx2L.jpg (250 KB, 1024x645)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
>>3869821
>australian shepherd: #42
>irish setter: #35
Oh no no no look at his brain haha
>inb4 this must be wrong... my wife is probably Smarter than you...
>>
>>3868475
$1500 is relatively cheap. I paid $1800 for a golden puppy and I haven't seen them cheaper. My friend breeds her bitch and all of her puppies are claimed before her dog gives birth at $3000 a pop. That's also what my boss paid for his puppy from a different breeder.

what country do you live in?
>>
>>3869823
A lucrative trade, but a dangerous one. Goldens are among the most prone to mammary tumors and pyometra and there are a lot of genetic disorders that should be tested for. They're so damn inbred, and so poorly bred, especially because of people doing things like that since a litter can equal a year of a poor man's wages
https://retrieverman.net/2009/01/15/are-golden-retrievers-becoming-more-aggressive/
>>
>>3869823
US, they're like labs and aussies, dime a dozen, bro. If your friend would EVER try to offer up one of hers for $3000 to me I'd laugh in her face. Again, are they all championed field dogs that have saved a Timmy or three from the well? If not, I can think of better things to spend my $3000 on.
>>
How long should I put my puppy in bed for?
I feel like putting him away at 9:30pm is a bit early when I've been getting up at 8:30am, but then he's sleeping when I put him in bed at any rate
>>
>>3868416
>Puppy
>Two bowel obstructions
>Two surgeries
>$1500
How old is this pup? That frequency in a dog under a year old is unlikely to be from eating something. It’s probably intestinal cysts or tumors. You are getting fucked hard and raw dude. Enjoy the 5k in vet bills over the next couple years before you put the poor thing down. I wouldn’t touch that one with a ten foot pole.

>>3868505
>Bad water
Bullshit. Shes scamming you. On price and the actual problem with that puppy. Your girlfriend is retarded. Buy her a different puppy and deal with the fight now so you aren’t dealing with the hysterical meltdown in two years when the vet tells you there’s nothing they can do because you bought a dog with bad plumbing.

>>3868518
Put your foot down dude. Never buy a puppy with existing medical issues. Never import from overseas sight unseen. Never pay more than 1k for a dog without a shit ton of HOF or CH prefixes in the pedigree. I don’t give a fuck how rare it is and Goldens sure as shit ain’t rare.

>>3869823
Wtf? Pic related. It amazes me how many people don’t know what a dog is actually worth.

>>3869829
Epilepsy soured me on the breed

>>3869834
Even elite championship field breedings are only $2000-$2500. We really need to put up a puppy buying guide thread.
>>
>>3870078
Women are stupid when it comes to puppies. Mom paid 1,800 for a dachshund puppy from across state lines that she'd never seen, gets told the day before she makes the drive that the puppy has a 'cosmetic' issue; Mange over the puppies head that the breeder wasn't treating.

She still paid them in full.
>>
>>3870135
That’s bad but treatable. Mange is endemic. The more alarming thing is that it’s often symptomatic of an immunodeficiency issue.
>>
>>3870149
The more alarming thing is that the mange had advanced to the point of hair loss. Meaning they knew about it beforehand, didn't disclose while it was progressing, didn't seek treatment, and then downplayed the issue only a day prior to an exchange.
>>
>>3868317
Its a dog, a day or two without food is fine
>>
>>3868473
>Husky Collie cross
That's awesome
>>
welcome to /dog/- dog fucker general
>>
>>3870286
this is the thread where we talk about the wholesome things we do with our girlfriends, ok? stay out of it.
>>
>>3868529
>I couldn't fathom paying more than $200, but I haggle more viciously than a Jew and a Turk haggling an Indian carpet merchant, so...
I've never, ever paid for a pet in my life. Just wait until the end of spring and ask around for mutts. Mutts are best and almost always free
>>
>>3870291
why are you a zoophile?
>>
>>3870149
Second occurrence I've heard of a dachshund having immunodeficiency issues.
>>
>>3870293
> just get a mutt
> now gotta worry whether or not one of the parents has a genetic defect I need to be aware that could bite me in the ass later down the line

FTFY, I'll get what I please.

>>3870291
> mfw
>>
>>3870296
Because human relationships are easily manipulated yet people pretend to be authentic even when they're not. Because they're better looking. Because it makes you angry. Because of their soft fur and beautiful eyes. Because I like the challenge of building a real and positive relationship with someone that doesn't have anything in common with me besides warm blood and a living soul.

But mostly because I was inexplicably born to be this way, everything else is just cope because knowing I never had a choice, when everyone wants to kill me, hurts.
>>
>>3870311
Feels received and felt, my guy. Can empathize.
>>
>>3870311
Based
>>
>>3870311
Hawaii, West Virginia, New Mexico, and Wyoming have no laws on the books presently forbidding zoophilia. Just putting that out there.
It was legal here in Ohio up until 2017, but all but 8 counties refused to adopt the resolution, not grounds they opposed making it illegal, but because the amendment also contained language irrelevant to the original intent of the bill (pork barrel spending). Hence the eight counties who appealed it through our sixth circuit appeals court won because they found the bill in violation of our state constitution.
>>
>>3867178

Can be her lungs get too obstructed if she sits so she stands, or she has a hip or back problem that makes sitting painful. French bulldogs are absolute train wrecks physically.
>>
>>3870330
Take me hoooome country roads
To the place where I beloooong
West virginiaaaa
Furfag staaaaate
Take me home
Country roads
>>
>>3867623

Dogs that had bloat once are more prone to getting it again and maybe even tordion so be careful. They suspect there is a big genetic factor in whether or not your dog gets it and not just due to built, for exanple my dogs have super deep chests but bloat in their breed is pretty much unheard of. Don't beat yourself up over it. She has been in heat rrcently yeah? That's probably the reason why she is not that interested in food or otherwise off, regular pseudo pregnancy stuff.
>>
>>3870336
There's a lot wrong with West V. other than this. This is really bottom tier on the list of shit to get fixed, imo. They need to clean up their strip mines and rivers first.
>>
>>3867705

Depends on the breed. For my whippets it is fine to lightly see the last three ribs especially when they are moving, in other breeds that would probably be too skinny. It's better to look at your dog from above, the torso to waist ratio is a better indicator. There are drawings on the internet you can use to compare.
>>
>>3868209

Might be your puppy has giardiasis and you've caught it too...
>>
>>3868416

Jesus, a puppy that is still with the mother and already had to have surgery twice? I would haul ass, this is in all probabilitly going to be a dog that will have health problems his entire life. Cancel the puppy.
>>
>>3867178
Probably breathing issues
>>
>>3868505

Bad water doesn't cause bowel obstructions. This puppy in all likelikness has a birth defect. A good, concientious breeder would not sell someone this puppy but keep it themselves instead.
>>
>>3870346
Who said it was wrong

Animal cruelty laws are sufficient. If they are harmed or display signs consistent with generic trauma, punish the human severely. If not, who cares? Some religions? Maybe make a law that says they have to legally marry the animal, with no chance of divorce, and grant it the full legal status of a human so they're forced to take extra good care of them. Imagine being charged with negligent manslaughter because you didn't take your dog to the vet, all because the cops got involved in a peanut butter incident in your teenage years. Gold. People would be actively hunting down zoophiles just to laugh at the consequences.
>>
>>3867179
No. The only purebred I've ever had was a Rottweiler. He was unwanted because he was a runt. Very nice dog though.
>>
>>3867273
I've seen that with a great dane before but the gut did twist. Bad shit. I hope she does well
>>
>>3870297
It occurs in all breeds but absolutely can be genetic. It is often an indicator for liver or kidney problems. Mange is both uncomfortable for the dog, smells god awful, and can cause seizures. Compounded on top of liver or kidney failure and you have a very short lived animal on your hands.
>>
>>3870359
I never said it was wrong, I was simply commenting on the state of West Virginia, kek.
> dog wife
Where do I sign up? If you do everything you're supposed to do anyway as an owner, this shouldn't be an issue anyhow. Making the dog your wife would just be a logical step for those who wish to engage in the acts, it wouldn't ensure anything except shit tier retard rapists getting punished for being shit tier retard rapists.
>>
File: Inga head tilts.webm (2.44 MB, 576x576)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB WEBM
>>3870341
Yeah, she has been in heat. The vet suggested I look into her line and try to find other cases of bloat. I'd already done research into gastropexy and I told him that I'd just like to schedule one seeing as he'll have her under for a spay already which reduces the cost and risk. So she's getting the whole kit and kabootle, a spay, a pexy, and dental cleaning all in one procedure. I'll save something like $1200 getting it all done at once and substantially decrease the risk for her by limiting the occasions in which she's put under general anesthesia.
>>3870367
Thanks, anon. I had a great dane as a kid and he actually got bloat when someone was watching him for me. It broke my heart. The vet said they could open him up at great expense and try to reorient everything but given his condition the odds he'd recover wouldn't be great and he'd be in pain for months while trying to recover. It just didn't seem right to put him through at 8 years old. They're such wonderful dogs but they're tragically rife with health problems and terribly short lived. Dog had to get annual steroid shots because of his allergies for god's sake.

And yeah, inga is doing significantly better. I appreciate all the good feelings and encouragement from everyone here.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pFMlGNXVmk
look at the size of this fucker
>>
>>3870622

Ugly
>>
>buy a cat sized dog
>be surprised when left unsupervised it gets carried off by owls, eagles, hawks, mountain lions, and coyotes
Why do small dog owners do this?
>>
>>3870078
>It amazes me how many people don’t know what a dog is actually worth.
retard. anything is "worth" what someone will actually pay for it. and you don't even know what the going rate for goldens is but you continue to talk out your ass
We really need to put up a puppy buying guide thread.
lmao at anyone taking advice from you
>>3869834
show me where you're finding them cheaper, especially an english cream variety. it's okay to admit that you haven't bought a purebred puppy and don't know what they sell for. whether they're overpriced and not for you is an entirely different issue from whether people actually do pay those prices
https://www.thebeardenpack.com/how-much-does-a-golden-retriever-puppy-cost-in-california/
>>
File: IMG-20210619-WA0001.jpg (193 KB, 1200x1600)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>3870482
Kikopup has a new vid up on training to eat slowly. Maybe that applies here, maybe she "ate" too much air for some reason....

>>3869834
Dime a dozen Awezzie

That is how I imagine hell.... high prices aren't a guarantee that prevents animal suffering as there always are BYBs that will provide "low quality puppies" of the breed undercutting legit breeders. And the bad owners are the ones likely to buy here. But still, making shit prohibitively expensive does work... somewhat...

Feel free to guess how much my ASs are going for.
>>
>>3870622
What a big boy! I love American Akitas.
>>
>>3870792
>maybe she "ate" too much air for some reason....
Her last meal she was so disinterested I had to hand feed it to her ten kibbles at a time. This was after snubbing her breakfast.
This brings me to a question. She's just about to age out of her Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy dog food. Her new trainer recommended some brands with the strict requirement that I should feed only dog food whose ingredients were sourced entirely in the US due to quality control reasons. She cited some past instances of recalls stemming from bad ingredients that resulted in deceased dogs.

Out of the brands she recommended I was considering Inception. Has anyone here had any experience with it?
>>
>>3870838
Well there you go. Feeding her like that, especially if she was GI upset >>3868725
could have led to it. First time I fed E raw I gave her a quarter of the volume she'd usually get and she still threw it all up a few minutes after. They can be very sensitive that way...

As far as food goes, avoiding chinese shit a great idea for sure....
>>
>>3870792
> too god damn much

Back in 2004, when I was 14, I bought my Aussie from a then well known kennel in Louisville, Kentucky (it has since transferred ownership, been renamed, and produces miniatures aussies now...ffs). She was a darker blue merle (not the light shit you typically see, but like a solid dark gun metal blue, almost no black ticking in in the merle). Her only fault was the white on her splashed too far up her side and ran past the withers by an INCH, and it was non-conforming. I paid what for me was a hefty sum of $300 (14 y.o, mind you, was a pain in the ass to get that scrounged up with the cheap asses around where I lived). Otherwise, the base price was $1000, but she would have been marked for show and breeding within the kennel because her body structure was stellar. Show line, obviously, so bigger, nice blocky head, solid stance, etc. But I tell you that girl turned out to be one of the best dogs I have ever had. You could do absolutely anything with her and she'd take to it ridiculously fast. Agility, herding, barn hunt, tracking, relay, you name it, she could do it if you put her to it. Loved her to death, still do, and miss her every day.
Then aussies got ridiculously popular for some unknown reason, everyone began getting them.
Then everyone and their brother began to breed the damn things while still demanding a high quality dog price when they were breeding obviously inferior quality dogs because they were thirsty for money and not considering the bloodlines they mixed, which has led to some horrible looking dogs, working and show line both.
I reckon you sell yours for $1500+ or so. Good luck. You'll find a sucker who thinks they're getting a bargain,but it won't be me
>>
>>3870852
>popular 4 sum unknown reason

Didn't you just post all the reasons yourself?
>>
>>3870861
I guess I did. Oh well. Before the mid-2000's they weren't around all too much. Now everyone seems to own one.
>>
Help me name my new puppy. He's a mutt, but kinda looks like a daschund or other short legged dog. He's cute.
>>
Dogs are ridiculously expensive where I live right now
My 20 year old min pin mutt died, I paid $100 for him
I picked up a similar replacement mutt puppy and he was $1500 and he was a good deal comparatively
>>
>>3870971
You paid $1500 for a puppy mill mutt...fantastic, be proud you gave a thirsty parasite the money they wanted.
>>
>>3870942
Fagnugget
>>
>>3870781
I detect a retard that can’t read a pedigree and imported a bow legged Romanian Beaver Hound with an undescended testicle and a bite reminiscent of a common truck stop meth whore sight unseen. Or a German Shepherd owner. Either way you’re retarded.

>English cream
>California
Rope yourself faggot. Now.
>>
>>3870973
Na he came from a nice kennel and he's a perfect healthy pup
>>
My dog was 14 years old and had a degenerative heart condition which was exacerbated by the hot weather at the moment. He collapsed when trying to walk up the stairs and injured his leg last night. The vet said that he was going into heart failure and as he was in pain and dying anyway the only humane thing to do was put him down.
I can't help but feel responsible. I usually go to check on him every couple hours in the night as he had trouble breathing but I was really tired yesterday and went to sleep early. He only wanted to be let outside for the toilet but couldn't get up the stairs to tell me. I'm almost certain he likely didn't have long left anyway due to his age but it just kills me to know that his last moments were painful, in a vets practice covered in piss without me due to covid regulations because I didn't do my duty as an owner to check on him in the night.
I feel like I'm being unreasonable as I did everything else to make him comfortable but just fucked up like an idiot last night because "boo hoo I was tired" like a fucking infant. He was such a friendly dog and never did anything wrong. Can someone tell me I'm being unreasonable please? This is killing me inside and I hate myself for it.
>>
>>3870781
You must be shopping off the AKC marketplace webpage. The Jews thank you for your shekels goyim.
>>
File: comforting-dog.jpg (42 KB, 640x360)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>3871078
You did the best you could. You gave him a home and fourteen good years. He'd forgive you.
>>
File: Boston Terrier.jpg (473 KB, 2500x2500)
473 KB
473 KB JPG
Reminder that everyday with a Boston Terrier is a blessing.
>>
>>3871078
Hey. My 14 years old pupper died earlier today. She had cancer on her adrenal, liver and lung, as well as tracheal collapse and infections on her kidney and bladder. Ultimately, she wasn't eating or able to go to the bathroom for about a week, so we decided to put her to sleep today. I'm second guessing myself as well - because though I knew she was suffering, I'm still wondering if I should have tried harder or if I had the right to end her life.
It sucks.
But I think you didn't do your dog wrong - you did your best and your dog knows it. He died loving you and knowing you loved him.
>>
>>3871085
Not everyone lives in some southern USA hellhole, believe it or not
>>
>>3871116
You absolutely chose the only right option. If you dog had that many issues at that age and without eating, they weren't going to last much longer anyway, maybe a few days or a week tops, even if you spent all your money trying to treat her. You chose to give your dog a quick and painless passing rather than suffering until she succumbs to illness which is what would have happened if you tried to treat all those complications. What you did was the best thing you could have ever done for her.
>>
File: 647657981.jpg (388 KB, 1200x1600)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
Pup.
>>
/dog/ i have a 6 month old german shepard and im looking for motorized toys he can play with while in shitposting and cant play with him. I've seen a few on amazon, but they're the generic chink hard plastic toys with choking hazards. Any recommendations?
>>
>>3871174
That young gsd gonna tear that shit up if left by himself anon
>>
>>3871127
No just the people that matter
>>
How do I deal with the constant stress, irritability and permanent bad mood that puppyberg has brought upon me?
>>
Should you wait until after a dog's first heat to get it spayed? What are the benefits?
>>
>>3871078
>>3871096
When your concience acts up like that it is for a reason. Not taking your elderly dog for a piss before bed isn't good husbandry imo. Anybody reading this, take note. Do not let this happen to you. Always do your best and leave your dogs at the best of terms, having spent as much time with them productively as possible. In my life, whenever I was lazy and cut corners, I paid dearly for it. EVERY TIME. You never know when it will happen....
>>
>>3870482
>GSD
>spay
leave the ovaries in. full deal spaying is associated with massive increases in HD rates.

the discharge is gone either way but you still have to keep them away from males
>>
>>3871249
They grow up entirely after two heats with their natural hormone levels so all their bones form correctly. If you don't spay at all or get an ovary sparing spay, it's good for lifelong joint health and preventing some cancers in females but some breeds are extremely prone to mammary tumors to make up for it. The correct choice depends on the size and breed/bloodline of your dog.

It's just important to know that if you are not breeding the dog they can not have a uterus regardless of breed. Dogs don't shed their uterine lining so it becomes diseased with age if they don't have regular litters.
>>
>>3871204
none of us matter
get out of your ass
>>
>>3871204
this is what rednecks tell themselves to cope with living near africa's least wanted and the only people dumb enough to lose a war with the US government

t. somalian in canada
>>
>>3871272
The research I'd done showed that most of the gains in reduced risk for HD were achieved by simply waiting until a year old. I don't mean to argue with you but if you've got some kind of resource that might persuade me then I'm certainly open to it.
>>
>>3871326
>t. somalian in canada

>Hoo-ite man save me!

t. lightbulb head
>>
>>3871471
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvXBktH0DkM
>>
File: 20210705_080956.jpg (2.22 MB, 2250x3000)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>took in a dog from a litter that was thrown away at a friend's apartment building entry
>it's been 4 months now
>she's 6 months old
>she has a few dog-friends from neighbors and we occasionally walk them together and let them play around
>but now she's got conjunctivitis
>vet says she needs to be treated for roughly a week
I can't help but feel sad. Also, I cry like a bitch when I think of something happening to her.

That's all, thank you for reading my blog post.
>>
are all 'service dog registration' sites a scam? you dont even need a registration card or any form of proof if your dog is a service dog? dont apartments and shit ask for something?
>>
Whats the best way to handle a teething puppy's everyday living area? Is it better to just restrict them to a smaller area in a room or constantly tell them no when they bite something they shouldnt? I have a lot of toys, I just dont know whats the best way to handle this. 2~ months
>>
>>3871722
restrict his movement
set him up for success
give lots of praise and treats
>>
>>3871581

Thank you for saving her and caring for her, she is pretty. Don't worry about the conjunctivitis, it will quickly get better if you follow the vet's instructions.
>>
File: PXL_20210712_192641086.jpg (3.47 MB, 4032x3024)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
>Wife and I get drunk on NYE circa 2015
>See a picture of this goon looking sad with a tiny shitty santa hat on on a local shelter's web page
>Story basically reads that he was bred to be a fighting dog by some joggers (German Shepard/Rottie) but was too timid and was seized by police before he could be used as a bait dog.
>Obviously my wife talked me into the adoption, and I won't lie the transition for him was not an easy one (housebreaking, learning to walk on a leash etc...puppy stuff but he was 101lbs.)
>FFW 5 years and he's a marshmallow that's been part of team telework with me for about 18 months now, and would defend my wife/4yo daughter with his life.
Thanks buddy....I love you
>>
>>3871726
Thanks. What do if barks while in playpen?
>>
>>3866750
Famous TikTok dog pudgywoke dies by mauling by shitbull
No more owaowas
>>
>>3871828
Ignore
Reward silence
>>
>>3871838
Ok makes sense, last question I guess, if she starts chewing the playpen itself, or the ground, or my face when I pick her up, how do I respond properly?
>>
>>3871852
Hey. How are you going with that? I'm getting a rescue pupper on saturday probably and I want to start it on create training/playpen too. He's 7mo though, but quite energetic. Not sure where to start when he arrives.
>>
File: 1611197214052.jpg (18 KB, 557x453)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>Visiting parents for a few weeks
>Family dog has <15 second mild seizure on friday during the night.
>Parents think it's just sleep spasms and dismiss idea that it's a seizure because they haven't seen it
>Dog has another <15 second mild seizure on saturday while sleeping in the afternoon
>Nothing until today, has one in the park after meeting another dog and getting real excited
>Has another an hour ago in front of my mum so *now* they're seeing a vet

Well that took long enough. It's the same thing all 4 times, her front right leg draws itself into her chest, shakes for 10ish seconds while foamy saliva comes out of her mouth.
After it's done she stares forward for about 10 seconds before acting like nothing happened.
First one she was lying down and stayed down, 2 she was lying down and stood up for seizure. 3 she was already standing and just started doing the motions. 4 was the same as 2.
She did vomit after the third and the vomit was white and foamy.
She's a Flat Coated Retriever so I wouldn't be surprised if this is cancer related.
But it's probably still to early to really say what's going on.
>>
>>3871864
It's definitely a challenge. I dont mind all the usual energetic behavior and stuff, its just rough that its compounded with the constant need to chew every conceivable surface. Hopefully your 7 month old is slightly more over that phase. Crate isnt so bad, just do what the other guy said and reward them for being good in it and ignore bad behavior and it should be fine.
>>
>>3871722
>>3871864
>>3871852

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRz6crbrMMo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zth8EQ-0z2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVIj1odxhA

do not use toys. get your dog on a good schedule, ideally starting with a lot of training very early in the morning, then feeding, then resting. for teething you can give the dog a good size carrot. don't use toys, you do not want your dog to learn to shred, and eat, those. if you use a plush toy to do a little bit of tug for your exercise, it will be fine. how long you can/should play and at which intensity depends on the age. at 2mo, I'd say 30-45 mins of lower intensity obedience training mixed up with some play like fetch, tug, play wrestling etc. will be good.

>>3871864
before you get home, do some extensive outside time at the park or whatever. if the dog is well socialized already and you trust yourself, you can do it at a dog park but be careful. once home, introduce it to the crate straight away and feed/water it and let it rest. always stay close. this is how you start correctly, immediately establishing the crate as a good thing.
>>
>>3871174

>/dog/ i have a 6 month old german shepard and im looking for motorized toys he can play with while in shitposting and cant play with him. I've seen a few on amazon, but they're the generic chink hard plastic toys with choking hazards. Any recommendations?

stop shitposting. put the dog on a set in stone daily schedule/routine that it can grow into and rely on. this routine should accommodate you and your work as well as your dog's, changing, needs in regards to mental stimulation and physical exercise. crate train the dog. make it learn to love crate rest time, even when alone after your exercise. toys are not needed and, as your realize yourself, dangerous. not every dog knows how to play safely and not every dog can be taught to do so without hurting itself. a dog that has been taken care of properly does not need a ball launcher robot or squeaker or whatever to entertain itself. it will contently rest, waiting for when it's time to go outside with you again....
>>3871601
>Plus the breed you're considering is not a breed for beginners, anyhow.

there is no such thing like a beginner dog anyway. ALL DOGS NEED to be entertained for about 2hrs a day. that's the average dog's mental attention span. be it a pug, a golden retriever, a border collie, a malinois. the jump in time commitment from no dog to pug is infinitely greater than the jump from pug to high strung malinois. the only difference is that the pug will be mostly fine with low intensity types of play which an elderly person likely can accommodate while the malinois will need to spend those 2hrs going 100mph...
>>
>>3871906
I think you read too much in to what I was trying to say when I said the GSD wasn't for beginners. You know, there ARE tiers for dogs, specifically high maintenance and low maintenance. A GSD will fall more toward the high maintenance end, seeing as they're a working breed and require above average physical and mental stimulation. Moreso than say an English mastiff.
I give you there is a basic level of activity a dog SHOULD have, but should OP get a GSD, his schedule won't suit a 'want to go everywhere do everything with you' dog that a lot of them happen to be, unless they actively have a job to occupy their time (human or self-assigned {herding as opposed to letting it be outside and it decides to walk the fence line guarding what it sees as its territory}).
>>
>>3871915
I was just saying, do not think your Maltipoo will be low maintenance. These cunts will be needy, will bark, will want to be entertained, will want to go fast and will need loads of grooming and make a mess whenver they come back inside. Dog ownership should be viewed as a high investment hobby, not something you half ass on the side...
>>
>>3871884

I don't directly see a link with cancer fron what you described. Coukd very well just be early epilepsy, which, if it is, is probably an even shitter diagnosis than cancer. Is she fixed? Sometimes the fluctuating hormone levels in unfixed bitches can trigger seizures. It's very, very rare and definitely abnormal but it is possible.
>>
File: IMG20210716132703.jpg (3.17 MB, 4624x3468)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
I have owned my rehomed Shiba for about 1 year now and he's just started to stop during his walks when he knows we are on the way home
How do I curb this behaivor without dragging him?
>>
>>3870335
>>3870356
Like i literally said in my post, i took her to the vet and asked about it and she said she's fine.
>>
Here's a question with no objective answer : Is not letting a female dog breed cruel? My dog is 12 years old, never had babies. We neutered her when she was 3. But a couple of years back, she started exhibiting strange behavior like taking a dog toy and treating it as her child, carrying it around, putting it on her bed, protecting it and etc. I think it's safe to say that having puppies is a natural impulse for female dogs, and that maybe we deprived her of it in a way.
>>
File: loldoge.jpg (967 KB, 4032x3024)
967 KB
967 KB JPG
Who else /aussie/ here?
>>
>>3871471
All the research is bunk because all these disorders are genetic so breed and bloodline matter a ton. One dog might do better with an ovary sparing spay and do horribly with a full spay, another might get tumors on every tit if you leave the intact past their 1st heat.

Yes, we bred dogs to have hip dysplasia, bloat, cancer, etc because breeders didn't notice or care. Especially show breeders.
>>
>>3872198
Encourage him with treats

You can also try picking him up briefly
>>
>>3872198
say this to him
>Watashitachiha-ka ni kaeranakereba narimasen, kokujin ga kite imasu
he will understand immediately
>>
>>3872241
hip dysplasia, pyometra, and mammary tumors are from unnatural growth rates and excessive breeding seasons so they're innate to most dogs at this point. of course uf wolves evolved to take 2+ years to mature and breed once a year, and you breed wolf sized german shepherds to mature in less than 1 year and breed 2-3 times a year, their bones will be a bit messed up and they will show disorders associated with excess female hormones.

the only way to get rid of the problems is to mix in wolf until the problems go away and you have dogs that take 2 years to reach maturity and only go into heat once a year again. and then breeders and people who use dogs as tools are unhappy.
>>
>>3872238
Aussie pride world wide!

>>3872217

>Is not letting a female dog breed cruel?

no.

>We neutered her when she was 3.

that's more than what 90% of dogs get. good for you and your dog.

>>3872241
>All the research is bunk

no. the molecular actions behind the dependence of tendons on estrogen are fairly well established in many species... and if you look around you'll find that basically every dog that tears something is spayed...

>>3872198
provide the dog with some more variety? the same stale 45min walk every day isn't enough, evidently. provide a healthy mix of activities that challenge the dog: dog park horseplay, running, tug, fetch, obedience games, nosework, swimming, hiking, walk different routes every time you go for a walk....
>>
>>3872198
Just keep going, you decide who's in charge and where you are going.
>>
>>3872261
That aussie is cute!
>>
>>3870792
>Feel free to guess how much my ASs are going for

Too much I'd guess. For reference pups from champion trial dogs in NZ are maybe up to 500 dollars. Most I've seen someone pay was 1500 and that was a job with semen imported from the other side of the world. Maybe farmers are just tight arse? But not with trained and proven workers. Are you going to keep one of them?
>>
File: IMG_20210722_063640.jpg (82 KB, 436x469)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>3866750
My 16-year-old golden retriever has passed away. Say something nice to him.
>>
File: IMG_20210720_205645.jpg (148 KB, 768x1024)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
i pick up this nigga on the 30th. what do i need to buy before then? I've got water and food bowl, I'm buying a crate, I'm going to make a leash on my sewing machine. any recommendations on puppy food and toys? i don't trust anything that has string in it.

on the left
>>
File: IMG_20210720_205649.jpg (157 KB, 768x1024)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>3872479
the lil jogga
>>
>>3872479
>>3872481
Anytime a breeder sends pics of the puppies outside of their enclosure, I assume it's just a shitty puppy mill.
>>
>>3872358
I'm sorry for your loss, anon.
I'm sure your dog lived a happy life and loved you.
>>
File: smiles into your soul.jpg (353 KB, 963x931)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>3872305
>That aussie is cute!

cutest pie in the sky!

>>3872332
>Are you going to keep one of them?

it wasn't the plan but fuck me I'm tempted to keep all of them... E is only 4.5yo... I could have her breed again in 2 or so yeats AND THEN keep one... honestly I do not know....

>>3872479
>>3872481
watch these:
>>3871905

only buy high quality toys: Collar brand Pullers, Flyber and Liker; Chuckit! brand tennisball size balls, Kong rubber frisbees....
>>
>>3866750
Based Cunt Destroyer
>>
>>3872358

He was very pretty. Sorry for your loss.
>>
File: 20210722_170958.jpg (833 KB, 1668x3155)
833 KB
833 KB JPG
He's 14 weeks now, and an absolute cunt. He's alright though, pretty chilled out but very vocal. Just waiting for the fucking teething to end so he leaves my hands alone. Don't remember my other dogs being this persistent.
>>
File: merle.jpg (69 KB, 672x696)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Merle is fully recovered from his TPLO surgery (about 15 weeks out now) and is back to his old self. Hiking and running around and playing with other dogs and no signs of any lameness in the leg or anything else, I'm happy to say.
>>
>>3872734
he looks like he can hear very good
>>
File: merle2.jpg (273 KB, 1107x830)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>3872738
On top of a mountain recently.
>>
>>3872740
He heard you type that and he's really upset now. He's extremely self-conscious of his stupidly large ears
>>
>>3872742
> saggy milkers

Lemme find out you refused to wear a bra on a hike...
Captcha: SNYP4
>>
Dot's in her first heat cycle and today she's vomited a couple times and started acting pretty lethargic. The second time there was some grass in it, no blood though. Anything I should watch for that would indicate she needs to go to the emergency vet? Would rather avoid it if possible just so I don't make her feel worse than she already does.
>>
File: GoldenBoy.jpg (173 KB, 601x494)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>everyone wants to pet my golden
>but he is afraid of everyone
Why can people never respect a dogs boundaries?
>>
>>3872799
Call your vet and ask them. Look up emergency clinics before the WE to be ready just in case.

>>3872803
It is your job to tell ppl to not come closer and to not try to pet your dog.
>>
>>3872807
My dog is afraid before I even get to tell them. Even when I tell them they say how he is a golden and should be friendly.
>>
>>3872809
Ppl just materialize in front of you? Tell them to fuck off...
>>
>>3872198
What's worked for us is just giving her a treat every time we get inside. If yours is already older, you might need to make it a pretty high quality treat, but that should get him more excited about getting back. If he's very stubborn maybe bring the treat on the walk and show it to him when you get close to your house (not right when he starts stopping, though.)

>>3872807
>call vet about literally anything
>"oh yeah you should take her to the emergency clinic, we don't have any openings for 4 weeks"
>"sorry, i can't tell you any more about it over the phone"
I could just skip the call.
>>
>>3866750
Guys i have a problem, my female husky hasnt eaten for a month and the vet that i have been going to just gave me more vitamins and supposedly that should make her eat, does anyone know what i can do to fix this . I have been going to this vet for over 2 weeks know and sadly i dont have enough money to go to a dif vet
>>
>>3872813
Are you absolutely sure she hasn't eaten for a month? I'm pretty sure dogs can't make it that long without any food. Is she supervised the whole time, or is she going out on her own?
>>
>>3872810
People love to assume about dogs.
>>
>>3872819
She has eaten like 3 or 4 times in a month but almost no food, and right now she isnt going out and is in a room with her bed, food and plenty of water
>>
>>3871905
He's very docile but a bit timid, so I believe he'll have some leashed time before going to dog parks. I'll make sure to wear him out though, I'm setting up his crate at the moment.
>>
File: buck-158.jpg (204 KB, 1152x768)
204 KB
204 KB JPG
Where can I find working line breeds of dogs like basset hounds?
>>
>>3872824
I don't know how old she is, but it sounds like she's either depressed or about to die. Either way, cook some meals for her (eggs and chicken and etc.) and spend as much time with her as you can. Get her to go on some short walks if you can.
>>
>>3872824
Vet. How is this even a question?
>>
What's a good low dander breed? Considering a poodle or a bichon. Trainability and a calm/friendly demeanor are probably the most important for my situation.
>>
Do Rottweilers have a lot of health issues?
>>
puppyberg has me on the ropes to be honest lads
>take him on nice long walk
>use completely new route
>play games and fetch along the way
>meet some friendly dogs and people and cyclists
>stop at a field near house on the way back for some recall, sit and stay training
>starts crying and pulling to go home
>come home
>sleeps for 30 minutes
>already going mental and won't calm down
dont know what to do with him, i was told not to exercise him too hard at a young age cause he is a large breed of dog and he needs to grow and let his bones settle before doing too much
>>
>>3873115

Sounds like he is overstimulated. New owners often do way too much with their puppies and what you describe is way too much. They get overloaded, when he flips out like that take him and cuddle until he calms down, then put him in an enclosure like a crate in a quiet environment with a nice chew or filled kong toy. How old is he?
>>
>>3872799

Could be hormonal but could also not be. I wouldn't sweat it too much, dogs vomit quite easily and oftentimes it's not necessarily and indictation of illness, could just be an empty stomach too. If she ate grass it's an indication her stomach is a bit upset. Just keep an eye on her, if it becomes more frequent or if she stops drinking and eating then it's time to visit the vet.
>>
>>3873115
>puppyberg
>calling your own dogue a jew
ngtmi

>dont know what to do with him, i was told not to exercise him too hard at a young age cause he is a large breed of dog and he needs to grow and let his bones settle before doing too much

that's true. you need to adjust the "workload", the time and intensity of your physical activities as wella s limit his caloriies and keep him on a food with the propper Ca/P ratio. talk to your vet and the breeder for that.

your outdoors time/training should mostly be of the "exposure therapy" kind where you expose the dog to as many environmental stimuli as possible in a positive way so the dog does not beome reactive if a heavily breathing runner runs up to you one day...

to short bout of maybe 20-30mins multiple times a day.

what you describe is quite normal and ppl call this "dog teenager behaviour". they still sleep a lot, 15+hrs, and when awake/active, they swithch between being active and naps freuently... look at kikopup's new young puppy vids:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qnqaajTk6bfs3UZuue6IQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCortXxJdZYbHCrOa3nddr6g
>>
>>3872813
she has pyometra. sorry bud you have to spay her.
>>
File: 0aOH3FJ.gif (319 KB, 500x480)
319 KB
319 KB GIF
Does stuff like Lanomax help at all for bad cataracts? I have a ~15 year old chihuahua and his eyes have rapidly become super white and he can hardly see at all anymore. He's also practically deaf and I can't afford any surgeries.
>>
File: PSX_20210723_084102.jpg (380 KB, 1500x1000)
380 KB
380 KB JPG
Omg I love my puppy so much :_:
>>
>>3873300
What's his name?
>>
>>3870336
That song actually references Western Virginia, not WV the state
>>
>>3873150
She's fine. A few hours later, she was back to normal. She probably just ate a few bugs or something, since she found out she can do that recently.
>>
>>3873399
peep
>>
File: image3.jpg (1.96 MB, 4032x3024)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB JPG
>>3873501
Why is this dog so loooong?
>>
File: 20210723_223033.jpg (3.36 MB, 4128x3096)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
My absolute madman of a dad found this dog in the middle of a road in a forrest and thought to take it home with him, was that the right decision and what should we do about this baby dog besides getting him to the vet?
>>
File: 20210723_223026.jpg (3.3 MB, 4128x3096)
3.3 MB
3.3 MB JPG
>>3873671
Whoops bad photo
>>
>>3873676
>>3873671
vet is a good idea. deworming and vaccines are crucial. also: >>3873657
>>
>>3873683
Also we have an older male dog around, is it safe for it, baby female dog, to sleep or be together?
>>
>>3873686
no, not until she's seen the vet for vaccinations and deworming. when you start introducing them, do it under supervision at all times. make her arrival a good experience for the family dog by giving him extra affection, treats and play so he does not see her as somthing taking ressources away from him. puppies need to be socialized with other dogs and need to be exposed to as many environments as possible (bikers, runners, cars, loud noises etc.) but they should not be roughhoused with by grown dogs.

and jezus, that dog looks sad. where is this? are you sure your did did not just steal a puppy that is faaar too young away from it's mother? get to teh vet asap and have them determine the age and what to do about feeding and further care.
>>
>>3873708
Ι have no idea, as I said before my dad came home with that dog, saying he found it in the middle of the road in some forest pretty far from any village and felt bad about it, she follows us around everywhere and she didnt seem that sad, although yeah she does look very sad in this photo, though she was around the big dog and I dont know...
>>
>>3873736
Also she doesnt make any sounds besides the occasional whine when far from other family mambers
>>
>>3873686
Do what >>3873708 says at first. As she grows up, she'll become the boss of him. Strange as it may sound, females tend to boss males around...wait a god damned second, AY YO BITCH! I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING!
>>
>>3873740
>>3873736

well, go see the vet. puppies will die from all sorts of shit, mostly parvovirus and need to be vaccianted. keep her close and supervised at all times. a stray like that may easily kill itself if it gets into your trash and eats the lid of a yoghurt cup...
>>
>>3871326
>Africa’s least wanted
>Is a nigger
>From the most niggerish country
Kek. Seethe harder nigger. This thread is for talking about dogs not eating them.
>>
>>3873911
why are you like this?
>>
>>3871741
What a big slug
>>
>>3873149
He’s 12 weeks but its quite the opposite
I out him on a quiet bed that he enjoys sleeping in and sit with him to calm down but he is trying to jump down and go exploring or playing with the cat
>>
I don’t know shit about dogs. What should i have done in this case and am i overly upset about the dog? Yesterday someone’s unleashed dog just ran up to me and started snarling and running in between my legs and tripping me up if i tried to move away.
I didn’t do anything to the dog for this, i was passing by and didnt even look at the dog.
I was in a closed stairwell so nowhere for me to really run. I didn’t panic but i told the dog to stop several times.
I was 5 seconds away from kicking the dog away from me before the owner managed to get the dog to him and away from me. I glared at the owner because i feel like if you can’t control your dog then it should be leashed and i didn’t respond when he said sorry because i was pissed.
Should i grab the dog by the collar next time if this happens?
>>
>>3873760
Update: went to the vet, and we started to give her what she needs, she is healthy but she had a dangerous amount of ticks.
>>
>>3874392
If a dog is attacking you and you reach for its neck while its mouth is unoccupied, you're going to lose/break a finger. Your first idea should be finding something to climb. If it jumps and bites your leg, that's still generally better than the alternatives, and you can keep climbing and kick at it if need be. If there's nothing nearby to climb that would be helpful or you would leave a small kid/dog undefended by doing so, keep your hands in tight fists (thumbs in, you're not punching) with your arms in front of you and keep your face away from the dog. If it's just acting aggressively and isn't biting, push it away with your fists (aiming for the chest) when it jumps. If it jumps and bites your arms, push them into its mouth, don't try to rip them out, and use the opportunity to wrestle it to the ground. Don't let it start shaking its head because that can cause bones to break and major arteries to cut - kneel on its head if you can and try to get its jaw to release. You're going to be in a lot of pain at this point and if nobody is around to help you and the dog is big enough that it's a legitimate threat to you or a kid/small dog with you, you should probably kill it at that point. If it's knocked you to the ground and is biting, and it's a big dog, you're kind of fucked and probably won't remember any of this, but I think your best option is to curl up and protect your neck/face with your arms and kick/knee it in the dick/belly, with your first priority being getting off the ground as soon as it's off of you. Never had to deal with that scenario though so you're kind of on your own if you get there.
>>
>>3874392
>if you can't control your dog then it should be leashed
Anyone who doesn't have their dog on a leash while walking them is irresponsible. It doesn't matter how well trained or friendly they are.
>>
>>3874486
Also most of the time unless the dog is legitimately rabid, it won't actually start biting unless you look it in the eye or strike it. That's why I say "push it" (i.e. with fists/forearms) if it jumps, punches and kicks will escalate it. If you can keep yourself upright and keep pushing it away without making eye contact or squeaking or anything behaviorally stupid, it will probably try to change up its strategy and give you an opportunity to leave. Also it kind of sounds like you were dealing with a trained attack dog that time, since their natural aggressive instinct is not "trip up peoples' legs," at least none of the ones I've dealt with, so maybe none of that applies much to this situation. You might have just been some retarded psycho's practice target, in which case the dog isn't going to let you defuse/leave by keeping it at a distance. A cop or something could give you better advice, but my thoughts would be to stay fairly still, protect my dick and my face with my arms, and start to deal with it like any other dog if it actually starts biting. Still would avoid kicking because that will definitely lead to lunging/biting.
>>
>>3874392
I’d have unironically just booted it in the belly, unless it was a very large dog.
>>
>>3874392
Which breed?

>>3874490
Even the most friendly dogs will be shot by some borderline muslim fundie here in florida.
>it was ON MUH LAAAAND! MUH LAAAAAND! JESUS ACKBAR
>>
>>3874540
>allow mudslimes into ur cunt tree
>give them guns

there is no horror and hell cruel enough a fate for you.
>>
>>3874664
I don't think you can read
>>
>found a stray dog sitting outside of my house
>see a hole in his dick full of worm
>spend almost half of my salary in a spray to kill worms, some pills, bandage etc
>dog gets better after week

>leave work today
>see the dog again sitting
>blood between his leg
>neighbour tells me a car ran over him
>doesn't wanna eat or drink
>use a syringe to give him some painkillers and sleeping pills

so, what's the next step? I've got no money for a vet and there is no animal shelter in my whole state.
he is just there with his head in the ground and open eyes :(
I'm thinking on giving him more sleeping pills until he dies (or should i just OD him with it)
>>
>>3874885
Yea
>>
File: thing.jpg (115 KB, 431x488)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
My dog has a strange thing in one of her legs. Do you think it's something serious?
>>
>>3871149
Pits need to be outlawed at the federal level
>>
Random small dog anon: when the weekend ends everyone in the house will work in the morning, the dog really doesnt want to be left alone and starts barking and crying, what can we do about that?
>>
File: sasasasasasasasas.jpg (170 KB, 500x333)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
what kind of bear is this?
>>
File: DSC0570-2-685x1024.jpg (93 KB, 685x1024)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>3875239
A good one
>>
File: 7 Weeks.jpg (412 KB, 1200x1600)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>3874951
He's a lab mix, why bring up pitbulls?
>>
>>3875239
>>3875244

The Eastern Cunuckistani Woolly Bully beardog. Super comf.
>>
>>3874885
> no pet shelter in your state

The fuck are you, Wyoming?
>>
File: IMG-20210725-WA0000.jpg (130 KB, 720x960)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Babby E.
>>
File: IMG-20210725-WA0001.jpg (131 KB, 670x960)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
>>3875313
E's babby daughter.
>>
Getting our first dog tomorrow its a 10month old hound mix, had a question about the crate. Would it be ok to put the crate in a total different part of the house then our bedroom? my wife wakes up a lot during the night don't want her constantly getting the dog riled up in the crate, or should I tell my wife to simmer down and put the crate near us?
>>
>Have boxer
>GF brings beagle over for visit
>Boxer wants to play
>Beagle intimidated
>Boxer gets jealous, not that beagle gets attention, but that Beagle gives attention to us and not him
What do?
>>
would a knife work against a pitt attacking a dog? what's the smart choice here?
I'm thinking of also getting one of those spike collars but my dog is so tiny I feel he's just gonna flip him over instantly instead of going for the neck
>>
>>3875204
Search for "dog separation anxiety," it's a subject too complicated for me to type a post about how you can try to fix it.
>>
>>3875363
Do you know from the current owners how well the dog behaves in the crate? At 10 months it's going to take a lot of work to change any ideas about the crate it has. In general, though, don't expect to get much sleep the first night anyways. Spend the day making sure it's comfortable in the crate - feed it treats in there, play with it with some toys through the open door - and then at night, put the crate somewhere it can see you from, ideally. It's probably going to whine and cry a lot but that'll help it be more comfortable in your new home. It can take weeks to fix that, if they're already crate trained it might go a bit faster but be prepared for it to keep you awake. There are lots of videos on teaching dogs to be quiet at night that you should watch.

For a younger puppy, or if the current owners say it's no good in the crate, I'd recommend picking up one of those fences from the pet store instead and making it a slightly larger "room" in your master bathroom for a few days/weeks, until it's more comfortable with your home. You don't want its first association with the crate to be being trapped in the dark in a new place with new people.

>>3875365
Maybe go play in a yard/park with both of them? Grab a rope toy and run around and get them both to chase you. If they won't do that, try doing some training with both of them at the same time. You just need to get them used to each other so that the little one isn't what the big one is paying all of its attention to.

>>3875373
A big knife, if you know how to use it, is pretty good at killing things, but they die slower the less you know about doing that. You don't want to stab a pit with your dog in its mouth in the back randomly, because it's going to start thrashing, and that's going to be bad. Go ask /k/, I'm sure enough of those psychos have fantasized about killing dogs to have some advice.
>>
>>3875403
What about pepper spray? Is that effective against dog attacks?
>>
>>3875404
Google it
>>
>>3875403
Thanks for the info, according to the rescue group which does seem to give actual real descriptions they say the dog is crate trained and sleeps in there well so will see. We will keep the crate outside the bedroom where she will be able to see us in bed.
>>
>>3875363
I'm having a similar doubt. I just got a 6mo mutt, he wasn't crate trained, but he didn't seem to mind playing in it and eating his meals in it. Should I immediately try having him sleep in there on my living room? The crate doesn't fit my room at all due to huge bed/small space, but I wouldn't want him to feel too anxious during the night and start hating the crate, making it harder to crate train him.
>>
Puppy peed in the house again but when I took him out after he peed some more so I think he held back. Probably literally couldnt hold it so I think full house training is as close as his growth rate will allow.
>>
>>3872734
>Just waiting for the fucking teething to end so he leaves my hands alone. Don't remember my other dogs being this persistent.
Having the exact same experience with my current puppy. It has been 7 years since I had a pup but I just don’t remember any of my previous pups teething this bad.
>>
>>3872742
>hairy arms, tiny saggy tits, tattoos, hands veinier than my cock
If you’re gunna be a tranny don’t aim for meth addicted whore
>>
>>3875425
Puppies can't fully empty their bladders. When you take them out (and you need to do this on an every 25-30 minute schedule), wait for them to pee not just once, but twice or even three times.
Praise is due each time, so they associate using the bathroom outside with positivity from you. Never rush them, this is something you need to be patient with if you don't wish to clean up their mess every time you turn around.
>>
>>3875430
While I have been told this a lot, he has always just gone once and been fine for many hours. He never goes twice even when I take him out for a walk, he just doesn’t seem to be like this.
Usually takes two shits though.
>>
>>3875421
I've heard some people getting air mattresses/sleeping bags out so they can sleep next to their dog in the living room for the first few days. Might be worth trying.

>>3875430
I don't really think that's universally true, for puppies old enough to be adopted. Ours always only peed once outside and she had a total of like five accidents in the house before she got the picture. I think housetraining is something where people go overboard on the "only praise" thing; once you've praised them for doing it outside and have quietly put up with a few accidents, you can give them some big scary NOs when they do it inside and they understand pretty fast.
>>
File: max and maggie (11 weeks).jpg (3.28 MB, 3024x4032)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
Convinced my grandparents to get one of my pup's littermates, starting to regret it. I visit every other week for playdates and lately my grandma has had nothing but complaints about the dog ; Even said she'd give original owners were willing willing to take the dog back, she'd forgo a refund. (I paid for the dog for her.)

Maggie, her dog, does have terrible bite inhibition for four months but she's also not being socialized. They don't take her out in public to meet strangers, all of their immediate neighbors have dogs and small children but they don't really interact with them. I even offered to pay for Maggie to join when I was signing Max up for puppy classes, but my grandma refused.

My grandparents raised three good, well-behaved dogs over the past twenty years but it feels like they're shitting the bed with this one. I'm at a loss on what to do besides becoming more involved and practically raising the damn thing on my own.
>>
>>3875315
nice bitch
>>
I know you guys hate pitbulls with all of your heart. But I was just offered a pitbull dogo mix and it's beautiful, it's still a puppy so I have lots of time to try and train it. Are you all sure these dogs are untrainable murderers? Should I just refuse?
>>
File: IMG-20210724-WA0005.jpg (1.01 MB, 2160x3840)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>3875609
I don't hate pibbles, just gotta train them right. Dogs need a job, else they will go nuts. My god-pibble-lab-guard dog mix loves to hunt and bark at things.
Direct his desires to the proper outlets like going ratting or hunting hogs (or even just digging holes like all terriers do) and you'll be fine.
If you neglect him, he'll become bored and start killing shit for fun. Also don't keep around cats or other small animals if you don't want a bloodbath.
>>
>>3875623
You can keep cats and small pets, but you have to put in a lot of extra work getting their prey drive under control.
>>
>>3875629
Yes quite so. Had to make the yard hedgehog proof lately cause Blacky would just attack them and then get mad when his mouth starts hurting and then try to bite them some more. I love him and he's a swiss army knife of doghood lel

>>3875623
*Gsd not god stupid phone
>>
>>3875623
So, I'll explain the situation a bit more. In my third world country, it is normal for up to 3 generation of the family to live in the same house. The thing is, my grandfather has 3 small dogs and I was never able to get a dog of my own. Right now me and my parents are finally moving to a different house.
Since we've always wanted a dog, we are thinking in getting one, it would be our first dog, this means we have no prior experience in dog training. That is my principal concern about it, I told the girl who was offering me the dog that I would think about it, but I'm afraid I may not be able to rise such a big and strong dog correctly. I think I'll refuse and get something a little bit smaller which I can train without such a big risk.
I know this all may sound a bit selfish, but I really don't want to contribute to that image that bad owners have given to such beautiful animals...
>>
Imagine the smell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaQrxmybzBk
>>
>>3875799
You just know
>>
File: Keth-Flint-696x442.jpg (26 KB, 696x442)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
puppy's daily annoying faggot hour
>>
>>3866750
I found a cute baby mouse stuck in my dogs dog food bag and I tried catching him so I could put him in a plastic container until morning and then throw him outside somewhere but he ran up my arm and jumped into the couch now I’m scared my dog is going to eat him :^(
>>
>>3875819
Also scared I’m going to crush him with the springs when I sit on the couch and have a dead rotting mouse stinking up my bedroom :^(
>>
>>3867183
I literally never bathe my aussie and he never stinks. Although he does get to jump in lakes and creeks like once a week. Some dogs just stink tho.
>>
Bought 20 chicken necks for £2.50 from the farm down the road and it settles my pup down just long enough for me to shower without him going mental
>>
>>3875945
>my aussie
>no pic

sad, but many such cases. dogs should not stink. but they do have a certain smelly. the best thing you can do is feed it right, exercise it right and brush it right. baths aren't that crucial. a good comb through and a good towel rubb down does it for mine most of the time. if your dog stinks, check it's teeth, check for yeast infection in the ears, arm pits, crotch and toes. also SANITARY CUT!

>>3876013
chimken necks are good food for smaller dogs. maybe check kikopup YT channel for training on how to "caprture calmness"...

noice Weim btw.
>>
>>3876018
He’s actually very calm when he’s with me, he just hates being alone and unless he is really conked out he will whine and sometimes pee. Guess it’s a bad side effect of me being NEET and also in lockdown, he has never been alone for more than 20mins. Have had plenty of time for training though and he’s already a pretty good little citizen.
>>
>>3876025
that was my point, you need to start weaning him off. the sooner you deal with the seperation anxiety, the easier it will be. if this is a decent working lien dog, he should be aeasy to train. these are spending most of their life kenneled for most of the day and only really get to go out to work. or at least I've know a few hunters to keep their's like that....
>>
>>3876028
Working line Weims do not soend their lives kenneled lol
You don’t know what you are talking about
>>
>>3876048
different places, different people, different lines of work keep dogs differently. I've know hunters with hunting dogs they kept kenneled but also had a dedicated "pet" house dog that lived inside... I didn't care back then bc I was just a kid but thinking back, it seems very weird to me...
>>
>>3876101
Yeah plenty of workinng dogs stay in kennels
Not Weimaraners
They are not spaniels

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.