[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1614882396666.jpg (92 KB, 761x526)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Still running out of topics Flagfish edition
Previous >>3853171
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Saltwater shit:
>brs 5 minute guides
[YouTube] Saltwater aquarium setup - A simple, easy guide in 5 minute steps. (embed)
>https://reefbuilders.com/reef-tank-setup/
>>
File: 4052.jpg (132 KB, 640x458)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
first!
>>
>>3858948
Skeletor is still growing at very slow rate death arc incoming
>>
File: blue spot sunfish.jpg (1.92 MB, 1548x1221)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
>>3858948
based OP, based north american fish
>>
>>3858957
Cute.
>>
File: 1614578744448.jpg (1.87 MB, 3024x4032)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
really hard trying to get pics in a half moon
>>
>>3859063
>fish does cute behavior
>turn around to get phone
>fish gone
every time
>>
File: 1623715182555.jpg (36 KB, 960x400)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
How are you running out of topics, OP? Looking for anything specific?
>>
File: Phyllopteryx.jpg (669 KB, 1204x800)
669 KB
669 KB JPG
>>
>>3859168
why do pipefish all have to be so autistic? they're cool but researching seahorse tanks, fuck that lol.
>>
>>3859182
What do you mean autistic? I don't know anything about keeping these.
>>
>>3859151
>>3858948
How about...
Weirdest decoration you've ever seen or had in a tank.
>>
Assuming the water is kept cycled...

Is it possible to have cherry shrimp in a half gallon container?
>>
>>3859248
Yes but probably best to keep a single gender because they can breed. The main issue would be temperature swings, you could probably keep like 5 if you can manage.
>>
>>3859246
I used to put a novelty giant "red dragon" mahjong tile in my red betta tank
>>
>>3859260
>temperature swings

Well, it's going to inside a snake enclosure on the cool side. Assuming the timers on the lights work properly, it should heat up a bit from the light, then gradually cool down at night.

Looking for other options too, I just don't what could fit and be interesting without dieing from stress. Are scuds interesting? Or maybe those sea monkeys? Assuming they aren't the same thing.
>>
>>3859130
They are still quite timid so if I'm looking in and grab my phone from my pocket they swim away and hide lol
>>
File: chinkjak.png (49 KB, 570x750)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
I live in Malaysia. Is there any awesome fish or plants I can find here that's rare/expensive where you live?
>>
>>3859390
Well you have pretty much infinite access to all manner of bettas, some in the wild.
>>
File: 1594647557800.jpg (851 KB, 1996x2559)
851 KB
851 KB JPG
Would love to get a canister filter with heater incorporated.
Difficult to have a canister with this design though, too much power even with a marineland 160
>>
>>3859414
forgot to add, some of the plants from aquarium co op seem to be coming back a bit after adding fertilizer.
>>
>>3859414
Buy a small canister + an inline aquarium heater
Although if you are willing to invest in both of those - personally i would upgrade to a bigger aquarium and keep this one as is
Now of course if you are in the same situation as me - lacking space for any additional aquariums, then go for canister+inline heater option
Btw, who lives in your aquarium?.. i dont seem to see anyone. And how big is it exactly l
>>
>>3859423
Its a 20 gallon half moon. We have a 75 gallon in the basement that we used to have oscars in. Problem is after we lost the fish after 10 years we kinda put it in the basement and forgot about it. Since then we moved stuff around the house and really don't have room for it anymore.
I was thinking about getting the eheim classic 250 with the spray bar for this one but again no heater and I kind of hate the way the heater looks in the tank. Wondering if I should move it way out to the side so its not so noticeable.
Currently have three German blue rams in this tank.
>>
File: betta.png (21 KB, 999x288)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>3859392
Surely bettas are very common in US too? I see betta suggested everytime in newbie aquarist guides. I imagine some of the tropical US states have some betta farms that supply everything without having to import from SEA.

Any particular betta breeds that Americans look out for?
>>
File: top.jpg (3.04 MB, 3386x2258)
3.04 MB
3.04 MB JPG
>>3859428
Not sure about america but it seems comparable to here in aus. You asked rare/expensive. Rare is kinda due to demand and expensive dictates that. They're both cheap and plentiful in SEA. If you're looking to export, theres lots of people that breed and/or tranship. Lots on facebook. Basically all the fancy new strains come out of SEA first. For splendens they send em halfway round the world and sell them from $5 to increasingly alarming prices for the newest thing (ive seen up to $100 here, very stupid). If you're after wild caught wild bettas, they have to come from there. For tank or farm raised, noones doing it in quantity I dont think. Betta nerds are like Cure fans, real deer in the headlights types, in a nice way. the greater splendens family (imbellis, channoides) etc now have lots of colour variants and x's too. Theres probably 20 sp. I see most frequently and if im after something it usually turns up somewhere a couple of times a year.
>>
File: a.png (45 KB, 391x278)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>3858948
Friends, how can I get a cheap, decently sized and nice looking tank? It could be a large recycled jar or something if anyone has an idea of where to get those.
>>
>>3858948
I swear I’ve seen khuli loaches in the wild in a drain pipe in a brook in Canada as a kid I have no idea how they got there or if they survived after I saw them it still makes no sense to me to this day I know I saw them but we don’t have anything like that here and Khuli loaches can’t survive this climate
>>
File: ws54g45ggtwe45e4gt.png (689 KB, 987x881)
689 KB
689 KB PNG
>>3859478
imo your best option is to buy a used aquarium using whatever local option is available to you.
i presume you are American, so you can use craigslist or something similar
you will probably need to test it and clean it, but used aquariums will be cheaper than some sort of a "decently sized jar"
fish keeping isn't supposed to be expensive, but there are limits to what is cheap, considering you need lights, a filter and a heater as bare minimum
if you are new to aquariums, it will probably cost you more, because you will need some other small equipment, and generally, the ability to choose a relatively cheap but well-functioning setup comes with experience
so to;dr
buy a used aquarium
pic related - looks very nice on the picture, a complete setup, cheap enough for what you get imo
>>
>>3859486
lol is that Mount Bethel pa?
>>
>>3859487
>Mount Bethel
yeah, no idea where it is, I'm from EU
but I guess the prices should be similar regardless?..
i would ask for more close-up pictures of every important item, but on the glance it looks very nice ( except the light )
I'm sure I could find something even better after an hour of going through offers on different sites
>>
>>3859489
yea I would say that's about the average price for used stuff here.
>>
>>3859390
Southeast Asia is a gold mine of popular aquarium species iirc but I forget price details.
>>
>>3859486
150$ is already starting to make my wallet sweat. Am I insane for trying to find something cheaper than that?
>>
>>3859510
Of course. I've seen free tanks on Craigslist before. Just keep an eye out.
>>
File: 3ts43ga4gw3rg4wf3.png (583 KB, 1336x1210)
583 KB
583 KB PNG
>>3859510
i'll try to make a budget
cheapest options from amazon

40gal clear plastic bin/container - 30$
( idk how long time it can hold before bursting, but I have used such containers of ~20gal to transport my fish when I moved, and they hold water very well for 24 hours )
small lights - 20$
( too small for such water voume/depth but lets pick the cheapest option )
no-name heater for a 40gal - 15$
( risky both in terms of long-term reliability and risk of fish electrocution, but its cheap )
AquaClear Power Filter for 40 gal - 40$
( this needs to be reliable, so I don't consider any obscure Chinese internal filters etc )
total = 105$
I don't include shipping as you need to pay for it regardless of what or where you buy, unless you get an aquarium from a neighbour
this setup will work, but you get a plastic bin as aquarium
now I've heard about your famous 'merican petco's - 1gal for 1$ sales, then you can get a proper 40gal for 40$, with a total of 115$
>>
File: 253452345324.jpg (217 KB, 1849x883)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>3859518
actually, petco has 40 gal on sale right now
49$ instead of 99$
makes a total of ~125$ + shipping
>>
>>3859510
How big are you trying to get?
>>
>>3859499
I'm a fellow SEAfag
most fish here cost cents to a dollar
>>
>>3859519
bangor pa?
>>
>>3859522
Yeah they probably lose most of their value if they will readily breed in captivity.
>>
File: 654h5g5gs45.jpg (136 KB, 1000x684)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>3859523
im in Copenhagen, i guess petco thinks that Pennsylvania is closest to me geographically, in case I want to drop by and pick up an aquarium to save the shipping expenses
>>
>>3859533
It's so handy how it does that for you. I wouldn't fuck with Petco for fish stuff though, jokes aside. I get dog and cat supplies there and they cut my dog's hair but for aquarium shit I would always go someplace specialized.
>>
>>3859520
Not really sure. Big enough so that it doesn't feel like a kid's little plastic thing.
>>
>>3859518
Also I thought about using one of these plastic containers, but I feel that it's quite ugly, and I don't feel confident that it wouldn't leak plastics into the water over long periods of time.
>>
>>3859547
however i appreciate the work you put into the list it's a good starting point for me
>>
Should i get more fish if one of my plant is showing signs of nitrogen deficiency?
>>
>>3859547
>leak plastics into the water over long periods of tim
well, theoretically it shouldn't happen since many of them a rated as food-safe
but you are right - there is a risk of that
besides, as soon as the algae settles in, it will be a pain to clean without scratching
i guess a used aquarium or a 1gal-for-1$ sale are your best options, as long as you want an aquarium of a respectable size
>>3859539
>I would always go someplace specialized.
i presume their aquariums are reliable enough, otherwise buyers would tear them limb-from-limb ( at least online )
as to the rest of the equipment - they seem to be offering many beginner-friendly budget options, but there are also Fluval's high tier canister filters and lights
prices in a specialized fish-store are not exactly beginner-fiendly, and the number of options can be too overwhelming
someone chatty, like Cory from aquarium co-op, will make an information-overloaded newbie go 300% over his budget in no time
I see it all the time in my LFS - some poor shmucks with a little kid come in to buy a bowl and a beta, and leave barely able to carry all the shit they bought, visibly shocked about how that just happened
>>
how well would superglue hold slate about 1/2" to 3/4" say for pieces the size of your hand?
>>
File: 6740fc4c75a928c1.jpg (366 KB, 1052x1444)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
do you guise have the funny /aq/ meme?
>>
>>3859546
20 long is the bottom end of what you can actually keep decent sized schools in, with the right plants you can make a school of 12 1-2 inch fish with a slightly bigger centerpiece and some cleaners work fine. 20 long and 40 breeder are both good profiles for beginners because they're a lot easier to work in due to the lower profile. 40 breeder is good if you want schools of slightly larger 3-5ish inch fish but is too small for actually large fish and IMO is best used for huge schools of small fish. 40 breeder with a bunch of odessa and gold barbs is kino. Congo tetras also criminally underrated.
>>
>>3859573
maybe? if you're just trying to fix a nitrogen deficiency just fertilize. Adding fish adds a bunch of other variables, swimming space, aggression, etc. etc. But if you have a schooling fish in a small shoal it usually won't ever hurt to add a few more.
>>
Anyone have experience with paludariums? I’m planning to convert a 20 gallon tank I’m not using into one. I was wondering what GPH I’d be looking for in a pump to make a small water feature.
>>
>>3859632
depends on what kind of superglue it is
>>
Stupid question. How come the best filter are the cheapest ones? You just need a air pump and a sponge and that's pretty much a haven for good bacteria. Why is this simple method less harmful and well regarded than other pumps?
>>
>>3859683
harder to sell replacement parts/filter media for a sponge filter so they upsell you and convince goyim that HOB/cans are better. Both are more or less a prepackaged sump, they have downsides but unlike a sponge filter they increase effective water volume and in some cases let you hide all of your tank utilities for a cleaner look.
>>
>>3859676
just regular super glue that all the aquarium shops sell
>>
File: 20210708_203631.jpg (2.25 MB, 4032x1816)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
I love shellies
>>
>>3859713
Massacre
>>
>In 2020, a Siamese fighting fish kept in a home aquarium in Japan named Lala was livestreamed successfully 'completing' a copy of Pokemon Sapphire by use of a laser that followed the fish and triggered button inputs mapped on a grid behind the tank. Lala's playthrough of the game was carried out over four months, commencing in June 2020 and concluding in November and the experiment also resulted in the discovery of a glitch that softlocked the game that had previously gone undiscovered.

Are they the ultimate gamer fish or is there another that could beat them?
>>
>>3859486
I got a 40g breeder, fluval 306 canister filter, stand, aquaclear 70, and fluval sky light for 150 the other week. Was fairly happy with that deal.
>>
What's the correct about of water for fancy goldfish? Some people 30 gallons per fish, 20 gallons per fish, 50 gallons per fish, 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 for each additional fish. What's the correct amount /an/?
>>
>>3859757
Follow your heart. Unless there are peer reviewed and reproduced studies linking very specific tank size with goldfish wellbeing, we can't know. I would personally go for at least 50 gallons for three fancy goldfish, good filter required.
>>
>>3859720
betta fish are god-tier aquarium pets
>>
>>3859771
What do you keep them with? I only know that you shouldn't have two males together, dunno what they do and don't coexist with otherwise.
>>
>>3859779
Depends on the betta. Some are chill and will be fine with lots of other fish. Some are not. I've often had them with schooling fish like tetras way back when I still had a betta. Generally it is advised not to keep them with other fish with fancy tails like fancy guppies.
>>
>>3859789
yeah don't keep them with any shrimp, anything slower and weaker than them or anything that has a reputation for being nippy. They usually do fine with some bottom dwellers and a fast schooling fish.
>>
>>3859789
>fancy tails
Yeah these should only belong to the toughest fish in the tank usually afaik.
>>
>>3859793
I have never had a problem keeping bettas with amano shrimp. Just avoid any shrimp small enough to be seen as food.
>>
Dont mind me, just swimming by
>>
File: IMG_20210709_192726[1].jpg (994 KB, 2312x1040)
994 KB
994 KB JPG
Decor growing a nice patina.
All I had to do was blast it with light, who knew.
>>
>>3859947
Try feeding it cum.
>>
>>3859969
That's a lot of work, if I'm honest.
>>
>>3859895
I actually had RCS with bettas before back when i didn't knew any better and they sorta thrived maybe because my betta just happened to be chill
But gradually they lose color and turn totally clear, i read that it's either due to stress or trying to blend in so in the end kinda defeats the purpose of having them
>>
>>3859779
Currently have a very hyperactive betta housed with 5 black neon tetras, 7 glowlight tetras and 4 Kuhli loaches. Never seen him chasing anything other than his shadow. I've had to move some shit around so he doesn't see reflections in suction cups or weird light angles.
>>
>>3859978
>But gradually they lose color and turn totally clear,
Did you have mixed color shrimps? If mixed colors crossbreed their offspring revert to their wild colorless state.
>>
>>3859986
Yeah out of the 10 i had there's one or two and their offspring indeed turn colorless, but all the original red adults turned clear too
>>
>>3859996
I've had a colony of blue cherries for like 2 years now and they are still going strong with a nice blue color
>>
Are there any shrimp that are good for a temperate tank? I've heard that RCS can survive around those temps but that they won't breed and will more likely to catch disease and die
>>
>>3859895
the problem isn't the bettas seeing the shrimp itself as food, all anabantoids have an issue where they nip at the antennae of shrimp thinking they're worms. Your mileage may vary but they're going to stress shrimp, hardier shrimp may take it.
>>
>>3860047
RCS breed more slowly at room temp but will live longer, they don't 'stop breeding' until the water is like in the low 60s from my experience.
>>
Question: Will a blackwater tank make it more difficult to grow plants like swords?
20 gal tall 22" high
1200 lumen light
>>
>>3859861
Just like my Chinese cartoons
>>
How important is it to clean decaying plant matters in the tank?
I've seen conflicting opinions about this, some say it'll cause some spike in the parameters or cause bacterial bloom, some say it's just natural and even good since it'll give back nutrients to the tank
>>
>>3860122
Havent done any tests, but have kept fish for a long time, and i believe in a good aquarium hygiene
If your gravel/substrate is dirty - vacuum it
If you only have several plants in a large aquarium, and decaying leaves dont bother your eyes - you can probably get away with it without any consequence
A smaller aquarium with many plants and fish will be affected more
> give back nutrients to the tank
You can always add fertilizer if needed - its just laziness talking
Weekly waterchanges and maintenance will insure a stable and thriving aquarium with healthy fish
>>
>>3860122
>>3860134
I have kept fish for a long time too and i think the complete oppposite. I absolutely never vaccuum tanks and i think vacuuming is bad. My substrate plays an important role in my nitrification cycle. Decaying plant matter is completely irrellevant, if you can keep stable oxygen levels. Fertilizers, including co2 are a scam and bad for a tank. You're interrupting biochemical processes with adding ferts. A tank needs time to get to a stable point. By treating a tank like a chemistry 101 kit you're constantly resetting everything and never reach a stable point.
4 out of my 5 tanks can go months without needing a water change and i do measure ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, copper and iron.
I am not here to prove or disprove anything, if vaccuming and adding ferts etc. Works for someone else so be it, but there is definitely another approach possible.
On another note, does anyone need some guppys? I have about 100 i could give away
>>
File: 1531134357374.jpg (80 KB, 750x734)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
c1.jpg (366 KB, 1052x1444)
366 KB

do you guise have the funny /aq/ meme?
>>
if my understanding is correct, bio filter media are basically just a bunch of stuff with pores/lots of surface area in it for bacteria to thrive in right?
can i just put some gravel in it and it'll work all the same?
>>
>>3860198
Technically yes. The more surface area you have the better. Preferably you want a consistent flow of water for best results
>>
File: wt34tw34tqq342fq43fc.jpg (2.85 MB, 3024x4032)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
>>3860142
>I absolutely never vaccuum tanks and i think vacuuming is bad.
i bet you are that sand-substrate annon who never agrees with me
be careful giving such "advice" to random anons - maybe this guy has a goldfish bowl with a single anubias, and now he will never vacuum and change water twice a year to "reach a stable point"
>>
>>3860134
>>3860153
>>3860205
Thank you for the infos anon, and don't worry i'm not asking the question to put off on maintenance i still do all the works, water changes, measuring and what have you
I'm just wondering if i should be autistic about cleaning the substrate since the dirty look doesn't really bother me in particular
>>
>>3860198
Lots of stuff works for bio media, including nylon pot scrubbers, normal filter sponges, lava rock.

Traditional undergravel filters that have fallen out of favor with aquarists recently works entirely on substrate/gravel being the biomedia, and people have had success with those systems for decades.
>>
File: 2n4kbcmuba871.jpg (63 KB, 552x885)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
why havent you bought a garfield aquarium yet
>>
>>3860223
>>
now that is what i talkinbout
knoiamsayn
>>
>>3860223
>>3860225
FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1548511747997.jpg (58 KB, 628x534)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>noooo you cant eat the guppy noooooo
>>
>>3860142
>including co2 are a scam
Do you realize that natural bodies of freshwater have literally 10 times the CO2 content in home aquariums? Feel free to show us your collection of red ludwigia repens or alternanthera reneckii mini without CO2.
>>
anons, are there any benefits of using co2 tabs? will it affect my shrimps?
>>
>>3860267
well, my shrimps and my fish, ive seen is good for plant growth but i dont want to kill everything else
>>
>>3860267
They're pretty bad. They'll dissolve fairly fast and the resulting spike of CO2 will dissipate in an equivalent amount of time. So unless you want to be dropping a tablet in every two hours or so, every fucking day for all hours the lights are on, it's not going to do much and the instability is not great.
>>
>>3860270
thank you anon
>>
>>3860225
>the more points your house has, the faster you will die
fucking broken game mechanic
>>
>>3860250
I wouldn't say CO2 is a scam but it's not as important or necessary as many make it out to be, if you want display quality aesthetics out of certain plants, yes. If you want the benefits of plants pulling shit out of the water? no, though floating plants with access to atmospheric CO2 are more efficient at it. Really no aquarium plant can beat a pothos when it comes to water polishing power.

As for the gravel vac argument, depends on the tank. All I know is you have to choose one or the other on gravel vaccing, if you go without and suddenly start doing it, shit goes bad, if you do it and stop doing it, shit goes bad. I am a novac'er but I also run some sort of active soil substrate in all of my tanks.
>>
File: 20210709_192116.jpg (3.02 MB, 4032x3024)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
My 2 year old betta has been going downhill for several weeks, laying on the bottom of his tank, eating less and less. It got to where he could barely reach the surface to breath, let alone feed. So I moved him to the cup I bought him in so he could get air easier. I figured it was swim bladder issue so I didn't feed him for 4 days, then started giving him little pieces of peas (on a stick held right in front of his face). It doesn't seem to have helped. Now I give him regular pellets (by the stick method after I've softened them in water), but he still isn't improving.

Question:
Should I
>move him back to the big heated tank where he will likely suffocate when he can't reach the surface any more?
>leave him in this small, unheated cup where he *might* live long enough to improve (seems very unlikely)?
>put him out of his misery?
>>
File: IMG_20210709_165634.jpg (2.02 MB, 4032x3024)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>3858948
who else /floridaflagfish/? I think I'm gonna name this feller Rufus, he's the biggest fish in this tank.
>>
>>3860412
Flush it it’s suffered enough having to live in a 20g cup of coffee
>>
File: 20210709_203341.jpg (2.38 MB, 4032x1816)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB JPG
I like fish
>>
File: 20210709_203319.jpg (1.98 MB, 4032x1816)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>3860453
>>
>>3860453
my goal is to gradually transform my office into a room like this. Currently I just have one 20g, but I have space for another 15g under it and I'm going to take the sliding doors off of my closet and build a stand to hold 3 18x18x24'' lizard enclosures and a 40g breeder or 55g beneath them, run some pothos into the breeder and up and around the tanks, plant them up and mess around with gargoyle geckos in them.

I think for that tank I'll do a barb tank, gold barbs, odessa barbs, cherry barbs. The 15g will probably hold platinum medakas and a shitload of shrimp.
>>
is gel super glue enough to connect slate together or do I need to buy a pack of cigarette filters?
>>
>>3860453
Fucking gorgeous. The Bosch really ties the room together.
>>
>>3860577
Use silicone
>>
>>3860611
does that instadry when putting it back in the tank?
>>
>>3860627
No, any good "glue" needs to set.
>>
File: 20210709_143117~2.jpg (440 KB, 1721x1921)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
My red neon blue eyes are finally spawning! Pulled out 8 eggs today
>>
>>3860668
Interesting! We haven’t seen anything similar here, as far as I remember
Keep us updated please!
Can you take a picture of the parents?
>>
>>3860412
Maybe use one of these fry box things that you can hang inside the main tank, so he gets both fresh and warm water + easier access to surface?
>>
File: 2.jpg (198 KB, 1600x1200)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>3860205
Yes it is very well possible that i am "that sand anon" but i think i'm better known as the guppy community mass-breeding lunatic in this general. You are absolutely right, the idea of a goldfish bowl with just a single anubias is so completely foreign to me that i didnt consider it. In that case you should absolutely vaccum, and do it as much as possible.
>>
File: plant.jpg (128 KB, 1600x1200)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>3860250
i really should have expanded on my opinion that co2 is a scam there. Yes i do know that the water in nature usually has a way higher co2 concentration that aquariums. Since i am a poor fuck, i really have to look at cost efficiency when getting stuff for my hobby. My take on co2 ist that it is a scam to milk boomers out of their money, since most of the co2 that get's dissolved into the water column gets gased out at the surface and only a little percentage get's used by the plants. I have yet to find a complete equation to describe this with hard numbers, since it is dependent on the co2 concentration, volume/surface area ratio, flow speed at the surface and the amount of plants in the tank, but i am convinced that a ton of co2 goes unused and that the method of injecting co2 as a gas is not cost efficient. In my position i can not throw around money like that, if you can good for you! I reach high levels of co2 through dissolving organic matter like leaves, mulm, waste etc. the way our memefriend walsted describes in her book at the pages 91-101. While i think a ton of her research is outdated, i like her take on co2. Now i do not have a red ludwigia repens or alternanthera reneckii mini collection but i have plants that are large as hell and that grow like there's no tomorrow. For example here's the side view of one of my tanks with a nice little crypto which i bought as a little root with 3 leaves.
>>
File: 1.jpg (209 KB, 1600x1200)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>3860800
Oh and i do not use ferts at all except that i sometimes fart into the gernerall direction of my tanks. The divider in the middle is there because my angelfish are bullies.
>>
File: root.jpg (133 KB, 900x1600)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>3860387
>I wouldn't say CO2 is a scam but it's not as important or necessary as many make it out to be, if you want display quality aesthetics out of certain plants, yes. If you want the benefits of plants pulling shit out of the water? no, though floating plants with access to atmospheric CO2 are more efficient at it. Really no aquarium plant can beat a pothos when it comes to water polishing power.
>As for the gravel vac argument, depends on the tank. All I know is you have to choose one or the other on gravel vaccing, if you go without and suddenly start doing it, shit goes bad, if you do it and stop doing it, shit goes bad. I am a novac'er but I also run some sort of active soil substrate in all of my tanks.

I agree except for the pothos part. If you can manage to grow a ficus or any other kind of tree like this and have the roots reach into your tank they will end ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to a point where photos looks like a little baby in comparison. It's pulling nutrients out of the water to a point where submereged plants will starve.
>>
>>3860804
Tomatos, chili, paprika and some fruits go hard on ammonia and nitrate too. I am currently planning on setting up an outdoor tub with coldwater fish, a little heating for the winter and hydroponic filtering. Any recommendations for small fish, that like colder water around 15°c (~60°f)? I am currently looking at odessa barbs, hillstream loaches and ricefish (the oryzias latipes kind, NOT woware or dancena). I know for a fact that all of them can thrive in that temperature range, since i've seen it when traveling.
>>
File: 1625587466179.jpg (26 KB, 400x400)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>3860225
i will never understand why people that want to do these kinds of art pieces don't just stage them INSIDE a big tank. i mean he (actually it's probably a she that made that) would have to switch from bettas to guppies or just choose one betta, but at least it would live a happy life and interact with the art piece, instead of being trapped in one tiny part of it. same goes for the gals that put their fishe in a liquor bottle - get a 10g and lay the bottle down, that way you can see him swim in and out of the bottle. or get a bunch of little airplane bottles and put them in a real tank if you are so dedicated to the alcoholic aesthetic. so many possibilities.
>>
>>3860827
An interesting thought just occured to me with your post there. Since most tanks are made of glass or acrylic, would it be in theory possible with the glass tank, to cut about twenty of pic related down about 8 cm down the neck, match with holes in the side areas of the tank, and fuse them so 1. more interesting tank and 2. lots of nooks and crannies for the fishies to hide in, but still clear so you can see them and enjoy them?
It would be a pain in the butt when it came time to clean them but overall the design would be fucking killer.

And no I don't drink Magnum, guys, the shit's 99¢ at the store for a giant 40 oz. bottle, cheapest shit around so to me the glass would be worth more.
>>
File: e4satgrw34.jpg (125 KB, 800x600)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>3860827
>these kinds of art pieces don't just stage them INSIDE a big tank
or even better, don't stage them at all
anyone who keeps being interested in their aquariums, eventually changes over to live plants, stones and driftwood/roots
sunken ships, spongebob stuff and treasure chests are simply embarrassing, even if made of fish-safe materials
>>
>>3860827
Those type of people don't see fish as pet, they're just novelty decoration to them
>>
File: IMG_20210710_144403.jpg (3.49 MB, 4624x2080)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
My first aquarium set that was originally meant to be a paludarium. In the end i decided to fill it completely with water because the paludarium didn't work so well in the end. No fish yet but only live plants and real driftwood and stones..
>>
>>3859390
Flowerhorn
>>
File: 20210703_110756_3 (2).webm (1.23 MB, 1080x748)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB WEBM
>>3860766
These fellas, here's them spawning in some moss before I had the mops ready.
>>
File: coca-cola-house2.jpg (77 KB, 600x450)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>3860837
i agree, but there are a lot of people out there that like to live in houses like pic related, so i see where they're coming from and i just wish they do the bare minimum for their fishes or get a different pet instead
>>
>>3860816
white clouds and ricefish, 60 is a little on the cold end for odessas, they'll probably tolerate it but I think gold barbs would be better suited if you aren't getting stupid high summer temps. Or goldfish, and if you have issues with them harassing roots put a cage around them. Goldfish will definitely shit up the water the hardest.
>>
I found this twitching around in my empty (cycling) tank. Can someone help me identify what it is?
>>
>>3861028
Twitch action
>>
>>3861030
It seems to have eyes? I noticed what I thought was a worm spazzing out about a week ago. If this is the same thing it seems to have grown a head.
>>
Ok my mom managed to get a much better picture of it. Is it a shrimp??
>>
>>3861040
pupated mosquito larva
>>
>>3861042
Definitely this.
>>
>>3861042
>>3861057
Wow!!! Amazing. I wonder they probably get in my larger tank, but the fish in there eat them?
>>
>>3861065
Yeah, they spazz around a lot and they have to come to the surface to breathe, making them easy prey. If your tank has enough waterflow they will also drown.
>>
File: PXL_20210709_212355865.jpg (303 KB, 1249x937)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>3858948
What's the actual name of these snap on plastic backers that go on the glass lids so I can order a new one?
>>
>>3858948
Boyfriends cousin ‘cleaned the fish tank’ up stairs by changing the water with a dirty old mop bucket that was full of fucking bleach and killed all the fish what a retard
>>
>>3861165
He should be savagely beaten.
>>
>>3861174
this
>>
>>3860225
But why
>>
>>3861133
Back strip
>>
Squids and octopodes are the most intelligent beings on the planet. It's not a coincidence that depictions of aliens resemble them. If you ever had to keep a squid or an octopus you'd understand just how intelligent they are as a species. Not like dogs or cats. They are on a completely different level.
>>
File: cheesed-.jpg (81 KB, 880x480)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
I feel close to my betta and love him as much if not more than all of the "intelligent" pets I've had. Thanks for bettapilling me, /aq/. I used to think having a single fish was lame.
>>
>female whiteclouds are almost exclusively mating with the male gold whiteclouds
guys, how do I prevent my wild type whitecloud males from joining I.N.C.E.L.?
>>
>>3861316
wait false alarm I just saw a wild type corral a gold female into the rape cave under the java fern, I think they're gonna make it.
>>
>>3861317
Mixed race fish? Cringe
>>
>>3861392
my tank is a diverse multiracial society. I was going to add some longfins too but I have a few really aggressive male and I think the longfins would get bullied very hard.
>>
File: 40g breeder list.png (17 KB, 492x348)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>3861306
anabantoids are unfortunately NOT based and redpilled because of their inconsistent relationship with benthic communities. I really want to throw a paradise fish into this theorytank but they'd maul my shrimp.
>>
>>3860453
>tanks in kitchen
Bad juju
>>
>>3861243
thanks fren
>>
How do I cope with my depression after seeing my first dead fish on the day I went out to get a plant for them :(
Only had 6 serpae tetra and 1 gourami and already I have a dead tetra T.T
>>
>>3861498
He died doing what he loved, floating in a small prison made of glass.
>>
will i get an ammonia spike if i were to completely change my bio filter media with new ones?
>>
Based roomba cleaned the thick layer of algae off the anubias.
The betta is turning blue.

Also had a mass dying of bladder snails. All adults are dead, and I found a deformed snail. What could be the cause?
>>
>>3861789
Best check your water parameters and see if anything is fucky. Maybe they haven't got enough calcium? I always leave a couple of empty shells in any tank that has invertebrates
>>
>>3861796
Ammonia, nitrite, 0.
Nitrate also around 0.
The water is fairly hard, and the snails thrived before this somewhat sudden occurence.
The only change I made before it was removing an almond leaf and some floater overgrowth.
>>
>>3861774
probably? need to know more than that. If your stock levels are low and the tank is otherwise well seasoned it should be OK, but if you've got a lot of fish in there it could be an issue.
>>
>>3861800
My tank is pretty understocked i think?
It's a 15g with 5 guppies and 15 shrimps, moderately planted and it's about 4 months old after cycling
>>
>>3861877
yeah no you'll be fucking fine.
>>
>>3858948
>get some flagfish
>surely, this will solve all of the fucking hair algae
>they just sit in the water sprite nibbling on the tips whenever they get hungry
>literally don't do anything else or care about any food i add to the tank, wont even leave the water sprite when i shake it to get stuck food out
these are the laziest fucking algae eaters ever
>>
File: 1467718902280.jpg (1.61 MB, 2000x2000)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
y-yall like fishsticks?
>>
File: 1625789574573.jpg (81 KB, 960x960)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>have massive quantities of plants
>keep light on for only 6-7h a day
>double dose with flourish excel every single day, sometimes directly onto bad spots
>have a fuckton of snails
>still have staghorn algae all over my betta tank
What the fuck do I do about this cancer? It's fucking disgusting and it's choking some of my background plants to death.
>>
File: 1460394369663.png (164 KB, 346x346)
164 KB
164 KB PNG
>>3861962
why yes we do
>>
File: corey.jpg (450 KB, 2048x1365)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
>just said that Taiwan was a different country than China
/ourguy/
>>
>>3861972
Rooted plants get nutrients from substrate. Get floating plants which directly compete with algae by pulling nutrients from the water itself
>>
>>3862052
the myth, the man, the legend
>>
>>3862065
the behemoth, the absolute unit
>>
Do you increase doses of fertilizer as more greenery appears? All my bottles just base dosage off of tank size but I'd imagine an entire green carpet would take more than a few plants here and there
>>
>>3862053
They're unironically illegal to buy and sell in my country. Don't ask why.
>>
>>3862093
ehm.. do you live in North Korea, fishfriend?
>>
>>3862093
what
even stuff like hornwort, anacharis, cabomba?
>>
>>3861877
There's no such thing as a tank understocked with guppies unless there's no cover. They'll figure out what your stocking limit is for you in a year or less, don't worry about it.
>>
>>3861430
>paradise fish
I love the look of these but I've never had a community I could put one in, nor wanted one so badly to shape the whole tank around it. Very pretty though.
>>
File: file.png (644 KB, 834x479)
644 KB
644 KB PNG
what is this type of fish food called? do you plant it on the glass or something?
>>
File: 2581048-center-1.png (458 KB, 2000x2000)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
Anyone have recommendations for aquarium suction cups? My fucking turtle will not stop knocking the filter intake off the wall because the cups it came with suck ass and I just want to line it with 20 good ones.
>>
>>3862178
they are called tabs or wafers
>>
>>3862231
Magnets >>> suction cups. Superglue the ring to a magnet. Careful putting the magnet on the other side. I suggest pressing both magnets against the glass away from each other then slide them together.
>>
>>3861897
I had the same experience. I balanced out the nutrients and light though and the hair algae went away, but those flagfish didn't help at all in the interim.

>>3862255
>>3862231
BTW I should mention you should use 100% cyanoacrylate super glue. If it has other stuff in it, it's likely unsuitable. If all else fails, pay the extra buck for aquarium specific stuff. bulkreefsupply.com has lots and they're all proven safe.
>>
>>3862146
I'll have to try one once I get my greenhouse ponds set up. I only run coldwater fish and with the ponds my plan is to be able to use them to breed and grow stock out and cycle whatever I feel like at the time through the tanks in my house.
>>
>>3862052
>cant even into saltwater
the guy is a brainlet.
>>
File: IMG_20210711_162215.jpg (2.66 MB, 4032x3024)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>3862257
Look at this motherfucker just chilling on the filter. DO SOMETHING.
>>
>>3862052
Fuck the RoC, fuck this fat fuck, and fuck you.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (8 KB, 197x256)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>3862264
Go in there and make him. You're not gonna do shit fatass.
>>
>>3862080
Depends on many things. Carpeting plants typically have CO2 issues rather than nutrient issues. Rooted plants tend to feed more heavily from substrate while floating/rhisome plants usually eat from the water column. Most aquatic plants are capable of doing both to some extent (water sprite is an example of a plant that can simultaneously be rooted in substrate while also feeding from the water). Overfertilization can do more harm than good if nothing is seriously feeding from the water column (in this case you will have an algae outbreak or nitrate buildup).

But yes, if you have a lot of shit sucking nutrients from the water you'll need more than the bottle says. I can dose double the recommended and my water is still down to sub 5ppm nitrate by the end of the week.

>>3862093
In this situation I'd do an out of tank plant with roots into the substrate which was discussed earlier in the thread. Mangroves for brackish or saltwater tank, pothos for freshwater (IIRC some kinds of mangrove can also do fresh water but I have no personal experience with mangroves). Any plant that gets atmospheric CO2 will crush any submerged plant especially in the aquarium environment, home aquaria have dissolved CO2 levels that are between 1/2 and 1/10th of those that most plants get in the wild. This means slowed growth which for most aquatic plants is a good thing, because it means less trimming. But for shit you want to spread and grow in densely CO2 injection can be a good idea. But it's purely for aesthetics and still doesn't compete with atmospheric CO2.
>>
>>3860453
beautiful.
whats it called when you have a room like this, with a bunch of plants, aquariums, terrariums, etc.?
>>
>>3862433
I think in his case it's called the kitchen.
>>
>>3858948
>Get 2 10 gal betta tanks in Jan of this year
>Live plants(floaters and variety of plants to go into substrate)
>Couple months later: BROWN FUCKING ALGAE EVERYWHERE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>Also plants go through the typical die-back and new growth process but then just go dormant until the end of time
>Fucking brown algae covering everything in both tanks including plants
>Forced to do large weekly water changes even with 2 nerites in each tank munching away
>Problem continues until about 2 months ago when brown is replaced with green
>Thankgoditsover.jpg
>w-wait that algae is growing fast and is super blue green colored
>fucking cyanobacteria out of nowhere
>Last 2 months I am forced to do even larger water changes even more frequently because this shit is so god damned evil
>One tank is so bad that all my plants (that still never started growing again) are covered in thick green slime in a matter of days

My nitrates sit in the 30-40 range in both tanks regardless of how many live plants, ferts, and lighting adjustments I have done, nitrites are 0 ammonia is 0. The fucking retards at every LFS tell me "Damn man I just threw some dumpster water and aids in a tank and I have a fully cycled, lush forest growing in my aquarium". I am doing fucking everything possible and I cannot get this shit fixed.

HOW DO I GET RID OF CYANOBACTERIA REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: pepe.jpg (33 KB, 600x600)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>haven't seen my pleco in 3 days
he's dead isn't he?
>>
>>3862452
They don't die. They enter the next phase of their life cycle where they become incorporeal and feed on soul energy.
>>
>>3862445
>only gives us nitrates/nitrites/ammonia
hardness? ph? the cyanobacteria is a pretty simple one, you can just nuke it with erythromicin. It will 100% work but don't bitch out and stop when it disappears, run a full long treatment regimen to make sure it's all dead. Brown algae is diatom, what substrate are you using? they need silicates to thrive and usuallhy self limit because of this but if you have a substrate that introduces a lot of biologically available silicate it can cause periodic blooms.
>>
>>3862460
>only gives us nitrates/nitrites/ammonia
PH is 8.2. Very hard water where I live. But before you tell me "oh just switch to RO" please remember that in my first post I have been told a billion times that my situation is rare and everyone else seems to just throw shit in a glass box and it works perfectly. I feel like I have been doing so much to these tanks to fix it that its probably making it worse. I HIGHLY doubt switching to RO will magically fix everything, but Im not opposed to doing it. I just dont wanna spend the time only for another failure.

I will try the erythromicin, and my substrate is Carribsea Floramax which I have been told does hold a shit ton of nutrients, yet nothing grows in it.
>>
>>3862470
>>3862460
>>3862445
Ironically, Joey has this problem. His only successful planted tanks used CO2 injection. I imagine with AI Prime lights and CO2 injection, the plants were outcompeting everything pretty easily.

>inb4 that retarded anti-CO2 guy comes in, or the anti-Joey crew replies
>>
>>3862470
>switch to RO
no, I'd have used Amazonia or another substrate that lowers pH though. My water is about 6.5 out of the tap with less than 10ppm TDS and I still use it for plant grow out tanks. You pH is higher than ideal but not high enough that it should inhibit plant growth. If you have an extra nano tank laying around I'd get the small bag of that and see if that works with tapwater.

If not, you may want to look at getting your water lab tested. Could be some weird fucking micronutrient issue. Or maybe you have a leaky water main running under a herbicide plant.
>>
What would be some good aquatic plants to keep if I were to have a pothos hanging in a tank? I'm worried that it would take up too many nutrients and prevent any actual aquatic plants growing.

Would an anubias do ok in a tropica soil substrate? Would pothos roots help because they produce CO2?
>>
>>3862767
>Would an anubias do ok in a tropica soil substrate?
Absolutely. Anubias barteri "nana" is invincible, it will just grow slow. Mine grow in pea gravel without fertilizer or CO2.
>>
*on pea gravel
Don't bury the rhizome, it starts to rot
>>
>>3862770
>>3862784
That's reassuring, thanks. So glow growing hardy plants are the way to go it seems?
>>
>>3862808
Yes. Java fern, Cryptocoryne and Bucephalandra are good too.
>>
>>3862852
And if I just had some shrimp in there, with anubias, java, some crypts, and a pothos hanging over, would I need to bother with water changes?

Basically I'm looking for something that I can give light, an airstone, a filter, put some of that tropica soil in (and a substrate cap) and then just leave be. If I need to do them then I will, but I'm just looking for very low maintenance. Tank would be 6gal but I also have a 16gal (but I was gonna save that for fish)

Thanks for the help
>>
>>3859219
Picky about eating. They only eat their tendies (live and raw). No personal experience with them though, just what people who’ve owned them say
>>
>>3859489
Why does my anubias look like it’s bring devoured? My only snails are nerites that I know of unless i have bladder snails that only only come out at night. But I’ve tried to turn the light on at midnight to catch them underneath the leaves and there’s nothing
>>
>>3862866
I don't know if Tropica soil leeches nutrients, but otherwise yes, it would be low maintenance. The best tip I have for this is, get yourself a filter that is easy to clean. You won't see it as such a nuisance if it can be done within minutes.
>>
>>3862910
idk really, but if we choose to trust that poster, it should be manganese deficiency
have no idea what manganese is though, I have a big testing kit, but I cant measure that
nerites and bladder snails don't eat healthy plants, especially anubias
>>
>>3862660
Thanks for the info man I really appreciate it. On the topic of switching substrate: Is that something that I can do all in one go or will that fuck the biofilter ? Should I replace small amounts with new stuff over time?
>>
fish
>>
I got a five gallon but I never really thought of doing anything to it till now.
Might be something fun to play with some plants.
>>
Hi, trying to id this specific substrate. Is this really sand? Grains look too big, closer to a fine gravel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oXrLVNGrx4&t=620s
>>
>>3863105
Get 50 shrimp
>>
>>3863060
Your biofilter should be fine, living on plants and sponge filter moving into the new system. But I'd be cautious because your pH should fall pretty significantly, I'd expect it to be around neutral and Amazonia is infamous for giving off a ton of ammonia (which is great for a planted tank because that becomes nitrates). I think that would cause more problems for living tank inhabitants than the bacteria.

Also more acidic water is harder for bacteria to live in which should reduce the cyanobacteria issue as well.
>>
>>3863063
You can fuck right off with that bullshit
>>
Any reeffags? My ritteri anemone is being an asshole. He's been moving all over the tank trying to get happy and it seemed like he was cool on the topmost rock right under the light. He stayed there for a few weeks but a couple weeks ago he took off on a journey all over the tank and managed to rape a few of my coral frags along the way. Now he's decided to set up shop on the side glass directly under the water surface. Other than the movement he's doing well. All his tentacles are colored up great and inflated nicely. There's no way this bastard isn't getting enough light. I have a Radion XR15 G5 cranked most of the way up. My water quality is excellent. Any thoughts?
>>
>>3860837
Doing a whole scene seems pretty dumb to me but I don't see anything wrong with one or two fun decorations. Especially something like a sunken ship or plane since they're generally also a functional cave.
>>
File: 1612152261030.jpg (1.58 MB, 2950x1831)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
Totally forgot I had a Fluval edge in the basement. Have no idea how old it is, its gotta be 12+ years old
What color should I paint the back?
Was thinking white
>>
>>3863375
How’s the sealant holding up?
>>
>>3863420
filled it a bunch of times and let it sit for a day. Sealant actually looks perfect.
The stuff on the sides are just bubbles.
Gonna use this as a quarentine tank.
If all goes well might get a spec 16
>>
Alright, I'm trying to raise some brine shrimp to adulthood and I'm failing fucking miserably. I hatch baby brine shrimp for my fry, but I want to raise them to adults. I got a 1.5 gallon jar, I put in the saltwater that brine shrimp need (10 Tbsp marine salt) and put my shrimp in. There's a lamp on top that i leave on 24 hours. I put the shrimp in, and i put a pinch of powdered fish food, but all of the brine die in 24 hours. Am I doing something terribly wrong? Do these guys need a filter and heater and all that shit?
>>
>>3863298
You're not a fan?
>>
File: unnamed (4).jpg (16 KB, 400x300)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
What kinds of cichlids have you guys gotten to breed? I got a few broods from these guys with several survivors.
>>
>>3859978
I think they were probably stressed, which caused the color loss
>>
>>3860421
How do your shrimp get along with the flag fish?
>>
File: IMG_20210704_084356857.jpg (2.55 MB, 4096x3072)
2.55 MB
2.55 MB JPG
I can't sleep bros, I'm so hyped about going to my lfs tomorrow to pick up some new friends. anyone else just love going to the shops and seeing all the fish available and their amazing display tanks? Pre-covid i would spent so many hours there, but now i have to move it along which kinda sucks.

pic is one of my fat ass kulhis who will be getting more kulhi friends tomorrow.
>>
I'm a complete tank novice and in the process of setting up a shrimp tank. The tank is 2 gallon and I'm reading up on fertilizing the plants. Which fertilizer is best recommended? Also how long should I wait to add shrimp to the tank after adding fertilizer? I don't plan to add any shrimp until my parameters are all in the right zones.
>>
One again I come to you /aq/, looking for wisdom. Two weeks ago what started as a small patch of red algae grew into a huge problem in my freshwater aquarium. The algae is crimson red, short and grows on wood, stones and some plants (concerned about this), looks like a carpet. So far no information on the internet about a red algae in freshwater aquarium seems close to describe this organism. Any info would be appreciated.

Water parameters are: ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20 ppm, 5 KH, 8 GH and pH 7.2. Tank has been running for 4 months.

TL;DR Red algae overgrowth on a freshwater aquarium.
>>
>>3863757
Got any pics? Red is alarming.
>>
File: Red algae.jpg (166 KB, 743x453)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
>>3863763
Right now I have this. Pic is from a week ago, that green algae dissappeared and buce is now half covered in that red carpet. It doesn't grow taller. Fish nibble it from time to time.
>>
>>3863772
Hmm, desu looks like blackbeard
Can you post more closeup pictures?
>>
>>3863772
Black beard algae
>>
>>3863667
My lfs had a huge Discus tank that I always used to like watching. Wish I'd gotten a pic of it.
>>
>>3863447
Need a bubbler and small amount of pre soaked algae wafers work good for food I think and yeast
>>
>>3863783
>Discus tank
Yeah, its a top tier
Will get one some day
>>
File: 1619025577776.jpg (1.64 MB, 2250x3000)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>3863420
took a pic this morning. Can't believe no mold or anything, been in the basement for 10 years but in the house for 12
>>
File: 1621243064896.jpg (2.02 MB, 2250x3000)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
also seeding the hob filter for the fluval tank
>>
>>3863822
can you post the whole aquarium?
>>
File: 1625604695155.jpg (1.87 MB, 2282x2602)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>3863910
yup, just hard because its a half moon so it never comes out clear
>>
>>3863912
ah yes, i remember you anon!
i thought It looked somehow familiar but i just couldn't tell for sure from the first picture
this >>3855580
you have some unusual fish combination, but i can't really comment since i never kept them myself
convicts probably want more decorations/driftwood
what happened to your plants?.. do you have another aquarium now or adding a hob to the current aquarium?
>>
>>3863920
So originally I thought they were bolivian rams but upon closer inspection I have two bolivian rams and three german blue rams.
Plants: not sure if you saw when I had plastic of real plants. Got some swords and sprites. Took two times with the company to finally get a refund as the sprites looked like shit both times. Check up at the posts about the fluval aquarium. Found it the other day in the basement. Going to use it as a quarantine tank but just seeding the filters in the older tank for the fluval
>>
>>3863920
>>3863935
just re read it, the cross post you linked wasn't me
>>
>>3863944
ah yeah, you are right
im a bit high right now
damn, but they doo look similar
>>3846827 but this one is yours, right?
>>
>>3863948
yup that one is mine
>>
How cute is my betta???

What colors do you guys like? I like red but it seems the stores around here are mostly koi, they’re very pretty I admit but the possible color changes trip me out. I think she has some of the same gene because she used to be pure red but she developed this patch on the head.
>>
File: 20200130_061059 (2).jpg (1.73 MB, 2934x3860)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB JPG
>>3864054
There's too many these days. Id always recommend not getting a cheap cup betta. never had luck. Only Splendens I've got right now is pure black with dark blue that doesn't show up. I didn't want to get another one but he was an import called 'tarbaby' and it was too much to not. I've tried him in bigger tanks alone and with other fish and he's why I swear a healthy bossy boy in a really filled tank is happy with 5g. He owns every inch of it.
>>
>>3863663
Rufus there bullied the cherry shrimps the day he was added but now he is the chillest and laziest fish in my tank by far. He just hangs out in his little water forest with his harem.
>>
>>3864091
Lovely tank!! I would love to see “tarbaby” sometime. The black ones are very rare and if he doesn’t show iridescence he’s very special and rare.
I don’t think bettas even like being in very large tanks. When I got back into keeping them I was surprised to see so many on Reddit saying they “need” 5+ gallon tanks. However having many plants, they do love that, what do you think is a good balance between plants and open space to swim?
>>
File: 20191226_202106.jpg (1.68 MB, 3313x2360)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
>>3864191
Hes hard to photo, and that tank aint lookin great right now. I mean to do some serious work on it today. My constant line is that wild betta breeds are better. You can keep them all together and they actually enjoy the company. They enjoy lots of plants. Not swimming is a big part of a happy betta's life.A bit of flow somewhere in the tank is great too. Treat them like a kid in a playground.
>>
>>3862452
AHAHAHHAAHHA look at this nigga.
They don't die period.
>>
>>3864196
I wish wild bettas were sold more
>>
>>3864196
>You can keep them all together and they actually enjoy the company.
Wait so what the fuck makes the domesticated ones do it then? I'm confused.
>>
File: 20191212_161930.jpg (518 KB, 1336x1605)
518 KB
518 KB JPG
>>3864202
>>3864205
All the ones in cups and all the fancies are one sp. Splendens (from the family? splendens as well which makes it more confusing). Theres like 70+ other species of betta from 5-6 families. I forget my phylum/class/order stuff. Splendens were/are all a lot more interbred for colour and before that they were fighting fish.
All the other species havent gone through that aggression interbreeding, and 'wild' species that are a couple of generations tank bred are just more likely to be ok with your water - they're all very adaptive species.

Raise up a tank of bettas from a pair of whatever species other than splendens takes your fancy (not the goliath family). They're a great species to watch go from a pair into a group then uh giant group dynamic.
>>
>>3864205
domestic bettas were SMASHED and SLAMMED by thai autists for about 200 years before they started being sold as pets to westoids. hence why domestic beta splendens are fish pitbulls. Also the domestic strains are much more inbred, get sick more easily, are worse swimmers and have shorter lifespans.

Same deal with the fancier goldfish and guppies, the more you linebreed and fuck around with an animal the weaker and more fucked up it becomes. Which is why chads prefer wild type animals.
>>
File: 20191213_232959.jpg (1.41 MB, 3724x2654)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>3864217
Not as diplomatic as I put it, and a single betta in a 5g solo is a great one off fish. But yer not wrong, the pitbull analogy holds up often. As does the 'they can be sweeties' thing.
>>
>>3864217
Don’t betta breeders occasionally breed with wildtype bettas to help remove shit genes?
>>
>>3864220
Yup, can be a sweetie until one day they decide to freak out and kill everything in the tank. Just like a pitbull, compared to fish closer to the wild who generally, in my experience, have more predictable behaviors.

>>3864227
Good ones, but 99% of the people breeding bettas are just filling cups at petco. Also a lot of the bettas we get in the US are used up breeders, they'll breed them hard for a year then sell them off. Which imo is another part of the behavioral inconsistencies you see since geriatric bettas are less aggressive and energetic.
>>
I think I finally figured out why my white clouds are obsessed with the right side of the tank, the glass is most reflective over there and they think their school is twice as big if they sit over there...

Is there a good way I can kill the reflectivity? Should I plant a wall over there to break up the 'picture'?
>>
>>3864216
Oh wow! He’s great! I’ve never seen one quite like that. He looks wild but he’s got fancy trim!
>>3864217
>domestic beta splendens are fish pitbulls
My girl pushes snails in the tank over and then attacks their soft underbelly. Never seen a fish do that!
>>3864232
>wild types have more predictable behaviors
I read that fighting types will continue attacking for over an hour, while wild type fights only last a few minutes.
>>
>cycled tank
>add shrimp
>they fugg, see several with eggs, some time later a few babies
>a week or 2 later no more babies
>don't spot shrimps with eggs anymore in the next 3 months
What am I doing wrong? A few years ago I had no problem at all getting em to breed, and now I am having no luck.
>>
anons, in time, do i have to replace my substrate or the lfs i went tried to scam me saying that after certain periods of time, substrates become inert and wont be good for plants, is that true? or i dont have to touch it once its on my tank
>>
>>3865110
what substrate are you using?
personally, i have never used "mineralized" substrates and never will, but I guess its a matter of taste
if you are indeed using something like this "soil" from the picture, It will eventually run out of nutrients
you don't have to replace it if you don't want to - just start adding root-tabs under the big root-feeding plants
>>
>>3865117
its a local no brand substrate
>>
>>3865120
hmm
post a closeup picture please
>>
>>3865129
sure anon, once i get home ill post a pic
>>
File: a.png (1.66 MB, 1272x1000)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
>>3859486
Thanks for the suggestions anon. I managed to score a 50 gallon for 100$, including having the guy helping me get it into my apt.
There is this sticker on it, is that a thermometer? How accurate are they?
Also, I haven't seen anyone talking about the Walstad method. Basically you use real soil and real plants and small fauna, and then you don't need to filter or oxygenate the water, and only have to do occasional water changes. Does anyone have any input on this?
>>
File: a.jpg (47 KB, 600x283)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>3865256
the green stuff isn't my pic, it's a pic of the Walstad method. Here's another
>>
>>3865095
are they getting enough calcium? some on my fish didn't breed until i added that shell grit bullshit they give to chickens
>>
>plants not getting enough nutrients and dying
>just bought root tabs (10pack of mentos sized tabs)
>directions say use 6 of them for a 10 gallon tank
do I actually need that many at once or is it just a jewish trick to force me to buy more?
>>
>>3865440
root tabs arent based on your gallons but how many rooted plants you have, put a tab or two under each rooted plant.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (280 KB, 904x1293)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
How to tell when your tetras are fat cunts or hoarding eggos.
THe glowlight has always been larger than the others (There are two this size) and I've seen them scattering eggs before, but the black neon who has always been the most aggressive and largest by half is getting pretty swole. Feed peas for a week and see what happens?
They're primarily fed blended spinach, peas and just flakes.
>>
>>3865256
I sieve some normal organic (organic part is key) potting soil so that I only get the smaller particles. From that finer stuff, I add about 1 inch, capped with 2 inches of gravel, as the soil expands a bit and can leach nutrients out too quickly. But I only place soil in parts that I actually want plants to grow. I like an open foreground so I can see my shrimp, so there's exclusively gravel there
>>
>>3865745
you cap it with gravel even when the plants are going to be growing through from the soil underneath?
>>
>>3865300
hm, i'll try adding some, there's a fuckton of snails that leech the calcium
thanks!
>>
>>3865823
I don't do a dry start, I just plant them from other tanks or shop-bought
>>
Anyone have experience with a dark start, or is the impatience too powerful?
>>
>>3865856
right that makes sense idk what I was thinking.
I'm starting to get a bit overwhelmed. How many bags of gravel and soil do you think I'll need for my 50 gallon? I haven't seen many 50 gallon walstads.
>>
I hate doing water changes in blackwater. Instant cock block on tannins.
>>
>>3865937
I've only ever worked with smaller tanks, with the biggest being 15gal. Honestly, I'd just eyeball it. Start with a 20kg bag of gravel (though I imagine you'd need more than 1 at the least), see how much it fills, and go from there. Just try maintain a 1:2 inch ratio of soil to gravel and you'll be set. Plus with a tank that size, I really wouldn't worry too much since you've more room to play with error.

As for soil, 1 bag (but I guess it depends on size, I just took what I needed from my shed) should easily be enough, plus it has the benefit of being (literally) dirt cheap
>>
Can you feed mosquitos to your tank?
these cunts have popping up like a motherfucker around here, was thinking maybe they can be put to some use at least
>>
>>3866024
absolutely and most small fish go ballistic for mosquito larvae and fallen insects.
>>
What is your favorite aquarium fish, and why is it moss ball?
>>
File: 1614840479363.png (552 KB, 642x709)
552 KB
552 KB PNG
Does he eat babies with these?
>>
>>3866067
his old puffer, hank, was sick for awhile and he cracked clams in his own teeth so hank wouldn't have to. you may mock this man but you can't say he isn't dedicated to his fish.
>>
>>3866114
>you may mock this man
I will
>>
Are apistogramma borelli OK in an unheated tank? Looking at species info it looks like they range from tropical to subtropical to semi-temperate temps. But every site says DURRR 72 TO 80 like for every other south american fish. I'd say fuck it and try it but it hurts to do that with a nanofish that costs over $30.
>>
>>3866062
Bummed that I never got one of these back when they were safe.
>>
File: 20201219_120849.jpg (1.46 MB, 2880x2160)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
>>3866151
What is the shih-tzu of freshwater aquarium fish?
>>
>>3866192
I didn't mean this to be a reply. General question lol.
>>
>>3866194
there really isn't one. depends what part of a shih tzu you're looking for. Generally speaking carnivorous fish like bettas and puffers are more personable and will interact with you more.
>>
File: IMG_20210714_183113.jpg (3.23 MB, 4032x3024)
3.23 MB
3.23 MB JPG
>>3865129
little late but this is a pic of my substrate
>>
>>3866191
Why or how are they not safe anymore?
>>
>>3866227
Yeah, this looks like one of them mineralized substrates
It will become inert at some point
But again, at that point you can just start adding root tabs
>>
>>3866067
I've seen those gums. Freaky stuff man.
>>
>>3866322
https://www.fws.gov/fisheries/ans/zebra-mussel-disposal.html
>>
>>3866191
There are quarantine instructions provided in addition to the destroy instructions. It's a 6mo process but you can keep them. I don't know if it's legal to still get them though
>>
>>3866448
Lies
Also, buy my plants and fish
>>
>>3866590
Can't you just throw them in copper for a while?
>>
Hi anons.
I've just noticed my filter has stopped working. My tank is heavily planted, a new one should arrive middle of next week but is there anything else I can do to help the fish between now and then? Plant is heavily planted so not worried about oxygenation, will do an additional water change as well.
Maybe agitate the water once a day?
>>
>>3866654
put your head in the tank and blow bubbles.
>>
>>3866656
I didn't realise any Australians were awake.
>>
>>3866590
I’m not going to bother. I’ll probably get some dwarf water lettuce instead.
>>
>>3866654
just feed less
>>
>>3866378
and how long does it take for it to become inert? to take that in consideration
thanks anon
>>
>>3866889
Depends on many variables but the easy figure is 2 years. You don't need to replace everything in 2 years though, just know that you'll need to dose root tabs under your rooted plants after that point and if you have a pH adjusting substrate like Amazonia your pH may gradually change. This could be bad if you're already sitting at the margin or if you have hyper sensitive lil niqqas like fancy taiwan shrimp in your tank but won't be a big deal if the tank is well established which it should be after that long.
>>
>>3866894
thanks anon
>>
I think I've figured out why my male flag fish is such a lazy fuck, he probably has a swim bladder problem. Not really 100% sure on the cause, the water hasn't dropped below 70 since I've had him and I've been told they're solid into the low 60s. The two females are both in good health apparently. He didn't have this problem at the store or when i took him home so it's new.

Anything I should do besides keeping the tank warm and stop feeding for a few days?
>>
>>3866910
also just to specify, his issue seems to be it won't inflate correctly, he has to be constantly wiggling his little fins to stay buoyant and spends all of his time laying around in plants or on the substrate. No other fish in the tank shows any signs of illness and eats well. He actually eats pretty well too, I had been overfeeding the tank a little to make sure shrimp were getting fed in a relatively fresh (3mo old) tank.
>>
>>3866654
If the fish start hanging out at the top put a powerhead in the tank that can move the top 2 inches of water.
>>
File: 1605753267712.jpg (49 KB, 622x622)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
Is there a certain milliters per gallon that should be used for a fishless cycle with pure ammonia. I'm seeing to add until you reach 4ppm but no idea what that means for a measurement.
>>
>>3867240
Gib tank size and about how "vigorously" the water flows because of the filter pump.
>>
>>3866654
Do you have a standard fan? You can try mounting it next to the side of the aquarium and let it blow on the surface, so there is some circular movement.
Haven’t done it myself so its just a suggestion
Better than nothing l, and it doesn’t require any investments, or at least can be bought cheaply in any supermarket
Otherwise a circulation pump as other anon suggested, but at that point you can just as well buy an airpump or a new filter, so it kind if defeats the purpose or doing something temporary
>>
Bros my return pump is driving me mad. Got a sicce micra 600lph which someone shilled to me as almost silent but it's pretty loud with the vibrations. It's in the back of my aquaone nano and completely suspended by piping without touching anything.

Anyone got any recommendations for an ACTUALLY silent return pump?
>>
File: IMG-20210715-WA0002.jpg (1.12 MB, 3840x2160)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Why are my zoanthids larping AS uncut cocks except one Polyp? They are in there dir about three days, it's my First SAQ, and my very First Coral.

Shall I give them a Dip? And how Long should I freshwater Dip them because I don't have any other Dip.

By now Most are half-opened Bit they still Look kinda faggy
>>
>>3867509
Maybe dip it in some ranch? I don't think it would help, but it might improve the taste at least
>>
File: 1626544449618.jpg (1.32 MB, 3840x2160)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
Hi, first time posting here. I'm housesitting for the weekend, the owners told me one of the things I should do was change the filter in the tank. I turned power off, swapped out the cartridge, turned it back on, and now the tank is very cloudy. Is this going to clear up? The fish is eating (then immediately spitting out) some of the debris I'm starting to worry
>>
File: 1626544585420.jpg (1.87 MB, 2160x3840)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
>>3867829
This is what the old filter looks like, by the way
>>
File: 1423970436974.jpg (16 KB, 400x449)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>3867834
>>3867829
>>
File: dd0.png (230 KB, 680x450)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>>3867829
hmm, i'll take this bait
it looks like a juvenile goldfish
this aquarium seems to be too small for a goldfish
"cartridge powered" filters are trash in general, and are absolutely insufficient for a goldfish
the substrate is disgusting and no good for goldfish
not critical but noteworthy - decorations are abysmal
its strange that the owners asked you to change the filter, since its something that shouldn't be done too frequently and you are "housesitting for the weekend"
if you exchanged the cartridge correctly, the water will clear out
goldfish can eat all sort of organics - shouldn't cause any health problems, as long as the rest of aquarium looks the same as the part on the picture
it would generally be beneficial to do a 20-30% waterchange if you know how the owners do it ( some add dechlorinaters, some store the water for a few days to vent the "poison out", etc ) if you don't know anything about it - don't do waterchange
if you are supposed to feed the fish - don't overfeed! very important!
filter cartridge looks normal - that's how they all get to look at some point
all-in-all i pity this poor fish
tell the owners to upgrade the size of aquarium to around 200L/50 gal - that's a bare minimum for a goldfish
tell them to get a proper filter
otherwise, the fish will either be deformed or die way before its time
>>
>>3867858
Thanks anon I appreciate it. The fish is supposed to belong to their 9 year old daughter so I guess it's not that surprising the tank is in poor condition. I took notes on your post, if I get my own tank I'll be sure to treat it better
>>
>>3867752
Are they doomed? Is this Like the Guppy frying Pan?
>>
File: cory.jpg (101 KB, 755x643)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>3867868
try to convince the owners to upgrade the aquarium and filter, there was an anon, earlier in this thread, who managed to buy a nice used 50gal for 100$ >>3865256
their daughter will be upset if the fish goes belly up in the upcoming months
>>
Just take the paludaruim pill. They’re stupid easy.
>>
>>3867968
Already got myself some spider plants and Swedish ivy. Looking forward to seeing the results when they grow a bit
>>
guys, im housing some of the shrimps of a friend since he fucked up his cycle and many shrimps he bought died, but i dont have any filters left for this tank, can i keep the shrimps safely doing daily water changes?
>>
>>3867968
can i turn an existing tank into a paludarium like starting with adding a big ass rock or something? or should i be starting from scratch?
>>
>>3868012
I’d start from scratch.
>>
>>3868006
nvm i found an old sponge filter layin around
>>
File: 20210716_200536.jpg (1.63 MB, 2960x1440)
1.63 MB
1.63 MB JPG
My fishy... He has a red gash looking thing on his side. I took it out and isolated it and gave it some antifungal thing. Looks like a wound but I don't know how it could get wounded. I don't think anything elsein the tank can harm and they have been getting along well all this time. There are no sharp edges either.
>>
>>3867834
Thats no filter thats nutella on toast
>>
>>3867261
found an online calculate. Tried the 1.2ml per 6 gallons and didn't change much.
Ended up doing 2.8ml to raise the ammonia ppm to 4. Going to let it sit and test daily
>>
>>3868287
>>3868287
>>3868287
Baked

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.