[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3919.jpg (75 KB, 640x702)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

Old thread: >>3758763
>>
File: image-43.png (231 KB, 390x223)
231 KB
231 KB PNG
>>3778499
Is this faggot for real
>>
>>3778888
Youtube is cancer, I refuse to watch videos with thumbnails like that.
>>
>>3778888
What really chaps my ass about these fucks is that they'll bitch up and down about clickbait faggots doing fake shit for attention and how it damages the hobby, then turn around and do this shit.
>>
>>3778986
What channel?

I've noticed that NERD's new Youtube guy needs to get glassed.
>>
>>3779005
Man, I like a lot of what Kevin does but their YouTube manager is such a moronic tool it really discredits the company.
>>
>>3779016
Kevin is kinda a dork too, but he's super knowledgeable and very skilled at animal husbandry, so it's fine, no one cares, but I haven't watched a newly released video of theirs for months and months, I just search their back catalogue for topics I want info on.
>>
So I’ve established my hog’s feeding quirk at this point, or at least I think that’s his quirk: he eats in shelter. No way I’d have thought about this back in the fall. I have to basically wrangle him into a spot with cover and drop the mouse for him, and then he’ll eat.
It almost tempts me to set up a feeding bin for him, but then I don’t want him to regurgitate being transported back. But is there any way I could make this easier for myself so I don’t have to rearrange his terrarium like an abstract art exhibit until he eats?
>>
>>3779025
Also sorry about shitty camera quality, really need a better phone.
>>
>>3779025
Offer it at the entrance to whatever hide he's in and let him take it in?
>>
>>3779035
When I had him in a temporary set up to get him to eat, he would use both the water bowl and the hide, and it was pretty easy. But in the main enclosure, he rarely utilizes hides. He's either burrowed or he's on the move.
>>
>>3779036
Set up thumpers to lure shai-hulud to the surface where the mouse is?
>>
>>3778499
Anyone here ever mess with hots? I've been considering a display vivarium/paludarium with a squam in it. Thoughts? I've researched care and am fully aware of the risk (especially the no antivenom part). would mainly be using the animal for display purposes so the only time I would risk a bite is feeding.
>>
>>3779110
Are you absolutely sure you're prepared to handle that sort of stress anon? I've thought about it a lot and I just don't think I could handle it mentally. I've never had a snake escape or anything, nor have I ever even been bitten, but I feel like I'd definitely be constantly stressed worrying about whether or not I made sure to lock the enclosure properly and that kind of thing.
>>
>>3779110
Feeding, or enclosure maintence, or escape is that's a possibility. What specifically where you looking at keeping?
>>
How's peat moss for a ball python? I'm trying to adapt an old terrarium I had for a cornsnake and I still have a couple bags of peat moss for bedding, but I've heard cypress mulch is much better and correct, would there be any problems? maybe too humid for a ball python?
>>
>boa acting strange for weeks
>repeatedly biting me
>roaming around his tank
>generally acting weird
>spend a long time trying to figure out why
>cleaning my room today
>find a bunch of mouse shit behind his tank
it was a feeding response this whole time i feel like such a tard for not recognizing that
>>
Can I use my snake's F10 disinfectant on my fleshlight or will it melt my dick off
>>
File: image-35.png (915 KB, 1005x744)
915 KB
915 KB PNG
>>3778499
This is weird, right?
>>
>>3779207
Get some decon man
>>
>>3779110
>Anyone here ever mess with hots?
I come across the occasional copper head or cotton mouth, that's about it
>>
>>3779216
It clearly was a wild caught gravid female.
>>
>>3779110
No but if I ever did it's main hide would be an extremely well engineered box with a door and a latch attached that you can close and lock with a snake hook. I think it's the YouTube chandler's wild life has one for his king cobra. You lock them in when it's time to clean.
>>
>>3779223
Why is he trying to hock the whole lot?
>>
>>3779225
It's for his black mamba, pretty sure.
>>
>>3779208
When in doubt use white vinegar as a disinfectant
>>3779180
Cypress mulch can be found in big bags at a hardware store even in the middle of nowhere. Just get the mulch.
>>
>>3779226
Because he regrets the choice to buy the snake.
>>
>>3779273
So should I get one?
>>
>>3779281
If you want one and you're ready to care for it.
>>
>>3779283
It would be an impulse buy, sure. But kinda rare and cool.
>>
>>3779296
Who else wants me to pick them up one? If they're still available. I'll just ship em myself
>>
>>3779331
sure my number is 2024561111 call me and we'll work out the details
>>
>>3779431
I called but I just got some dementia having old ass monkey :/
>>
>>3779128
Stress wouldn’t be a concern, caution yes, but I am not one to constantly stress.
>>3779129
Enclosure matinence won’t be that big of a problem as I am looking at a bio active vivarium. I’ve had multiple for dart frogs already and I don’t see why the same principles couldn’t be applied to a snake. And I am wanting to keep Atheris Squamigera in a custom 18x30x30 viv
>>3779225
Now that’s a good idea. If the species weren’t heavily arboreal I might implement it. My idea was a plexiglass divider I could slide in the tank and do one side of the enclosure. Then work on the other when it moves over.
>>
>>3779528
>My idea was a plexiglass divider I could slide in the tank and do one side of the enclosure. Then work on the other when it moves over.
Good idea and actually pretty normal consideration for display hots, but considering you'll eventually have a snake over 30 inches, I'd go with a bigger viv, maybe 3x2x4 or 6?
>>
>>3779528
>And I am wanting to keep Atheris Squamigera
Ain't we all
>>
New toadlet is cute! CUTE!
>>
File: fluffles_yubiyubi.jpg (798 KB, 1512x2016)
798 KB
798 KB JPG
fucking kingsnakes. Ended a year-long hunger strike last week and now he's aggressively trying to eat me for the first time ever.
>>
what happens if you kiss a reptile
>>
>>3779794
you'll be gay because all reptiles are boys even if they are technically "female" for reproduction
>>
>>3779550
From my reasearch they max out at 28. More commonly never getting above 24. People normally recommend a minimum of 18x18x24. But I guess bigger is better.
>>
File: AR-180617879.jpg (528 KB, 2000x1425)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
>>3778499
>>
>>3779947
I suppose it's probably locality dependent, but I guess I was seeing a max length of ~820 mm.
>>
>>3779947
Also almost no one makes their vivs tall enough for arboreal species, IMO. If the animal is big enough to not get lost in a floor-to-ceiling viv, and the viv isn't floor to ceiling, it should be because the floor of to the viv is desk height or something. Height is security for most arboreals. Obviously for bugs or single small herps, it probably doesn't matter.
>>
>>3779794
WORST CASE:
>it bites you in the face
>also you get E. coli
BEST CASE
>It goes "??? Why little bit of warm on face"
>nothing else happens
>>
File: Baby-Copperhead.jpg (81 KB, 750x500)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>3779110
Can you die from a squam? I was always under the impression it's one of the more 'survivable' hots, given you're close enough to a hospital.

Personally, I think the best beginner hot is a copperhead. Extremely mild venom, and they've very docile. I've wanted one ever since I removed one from my neighbor's garage; poor thing wouldn't even bite me.
>>
>>3779961
Poor snake is fat as fuck
>>
>>3779991
Yeah, they're cute and interesting too.
>>
>>3779918
Based af
>>
Baby woma just took its first meal while in quarantine. Hoping to get her into her actual growing enclosure this Saturday if she digests alright.
>>
>>3780347
So breeding next month?
>>
>>3779991
I've seen a large man pick up a baby copperhead, get bitten, and have a really long and fucked medical treatment. It isn't good to think of their venom as lesser.
>>
>>3780410
She's some years off from that anon, lol
>>
File: 1529079446257.jpg (127 KB, 960x640)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>3780498
>>
>>3780526
Sorry lad, but all good things in time aye? Plus once I get that second female that's two whole clutches when they're ready to go.
>>
>>3780567
Indeed, complaining is my catharsis, or whatever
>>
File: PXL_20210429_160531242.jpg (3.69 MB, 3629x2722)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
Brought Scarlet to the vet for her recheck. The mouth rot has really gone down alot. She advised I continue the cleaning for a month and then we will check again.
>>
>>3780477
Sure, not to downplay it, but most of the time if you get envenomed by a copperhead the hospital wont even bother with an antivenom. All hots are dangerous, but its very difficult to die from a copperhead bite, unless you have a pre-existing condition or get very unlucky.

Also picking up a baby copperhead is stupid.
>>
For starting a monitor, which is the better choice, NERD barecage socialization or VaranusMelinus toss the baby into a fully furnished adult sized enclosure and wait for it to confidently approach you?
>>
>>3781404
Cant help but feel like something in the middle would be best. Teaching the little squirt that you're cool and good to be around is good, but doesnt require a bare-ass enclosure.
>>
>>3781404
Barecage would just stress the animal because it feels like it has zero options to get away and hide. Better to put at least a few hiding options in a properly sized enclosure and let the animal learn over time that you're the big thing that doesn't want to eat it and also brings it food.
>>
>>3781555
When I say bare cage, it's not literal, if you watch the NERD videos from before they hired a clickbait artist to destroy their brand, Kevin would recommend smaller enclosures with no burrowing substrate and wire mesh hides and such so that even when the baby monitor was in its hide, it could still see you, so it couldn't just hide from you and grow wild and more wary of you as its brain develops; the enclosures still had water features and enrichment toys, etc. The opposite technique is the guy with the quince monitor site, he puts his babies in adult sized bioactives with full enrichment etc and prepares to wait 6months to see it eat in front of him. Obviously Kevin's method is more stressful for the animal, but I would think that you want to make as much progress in taming your monitor when it's as young as possible, because vertebrate brains are more plastic, the younger they are.

Of course V. salvator and V. indicus complex monitors like quinces are very different animals in temperament and activity level, so it's entirely likely that techniques are not directly transferable, but I'd be worried about not being able to accurately gauge the condition of my animal if I put a 12 inch baby in a 6x3x8 fully planted Paludarium with burrowing bins and other hides, especially if they already have a reputation for only taking food from the dish after you leave the room for the first year+.
>>
help herp, went to go handle my snake and saw this, is it a wound? or was he just flexing his asshole and trying to poop on me? Im rather concerned. other than that he seems healthy.
>>
>>3781796
What kind of snake? Did it musk on you?
>>
>>3781808
corn-rat hybrid.
i will say he didn’t as i didn’t see anything spray nor did it smell.
>>
>>3781796
looks like he's either trying to shit or trying to fuck. maybe give him a soak if it's still like that tomorrow
>>
>>3781850
if you spooked him at all he mighta been prepping the musk, even if he didn't. Or maybe you didn't notice, some snakes don't have very strong musk.
That is what snake butts look like when they are in use, and it's not anything to worry about unless it stays that way - if it does see vet. If he can close it up by himself it just means he was using or thinking of using his cloaca for something.
Since it's a young rat snake, was probably musking or considering doing so.
>>
File: arabian_sand_boa_eyes.jpg (235 KB, 700x500)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20210502_170722.jpg (960 KB, 2592x1944)
960 KB
960 KB JPG
How to ejaculate a toad
Need answer fast
>>
>>3783464
this should be a header
>>
>>3779022
Kevin is an unapologetic piece of shit, as is everyone in NERD. Forcing a tokay gecko to bite you and dry dripping blood on its head is equally as irresponsible as raising monitor lizards with no enrichment or breeding and bragging about breeding ball pythons with neurodegenerative disorders and hanging a flag on your wall bragging about how beautiful your braindead snakes look. They're all bad people because even if they aren't bankrolling the animal abuse, they're participating in it.
>>
>>3779331
I'll take one if you still can, want my email?
>>
>>3781591

Once again, Kevin from NERD is a fucking moron who shouldn't be allowed to raise or breed monitors. What he does to them is abhorrent and unfounded and it isn't even working for him. It's an experiment whose thesis he created on a whim and whose data he isn't even logging.
>>
>looking to get into turtles
>don't really have the space for fully aquatic ones
>really want vietnamese leaf turtles to try to breed them
>can't find them anywhere
>figure i could settle for eastern box turtles
>endangered in my state so I can only purchase them from out of state
>every reptile I want to work with I can't seem to own
Life is suffering bros.
>>
>>3783590
Mccurley literally wrote the book on how to be a racknigger
>>
File: cache2.jpg (198 KB, 1000x786)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>3783616
They literally have this hanging in their store in Plaistow, they're so proud of what they are.
>>
>>3783616
>92 usd
nigga what
>>
>>3783639
It's got alot of words Anon
>>
>>3783608
You can get small aquatic turtles that can stay in a 40 gallon, anon
>>
>>3783647
The only aquatics I'm really interested in are diamondback terrapins or mata matas but they get pretty big. What are some good small turtles for someone who hasn't worked with them before?
>>
>>3783658
mud turts maybe? they stay pretty small, and look neat.
>>
>>3783658
Musk turtles stay small. Spotted turtles are also very small if you want a basking turtle as opposed to a musk/mud turtle
>>
>>3783641
I was expressing my disbelief that anyone was charging/paying that much for it.
>>
>>3783688
Books are overpriced. Just look at the racket that is college book prices.
>>
>>3783596
>it isn't even working for him
I would be interested in evidence of this, if only for my own peace of mind,
>>
>>3783688
It's Amazon's rare book pricing schema. As inventory depletes, the price goes up, so out of print books get very expensive. While it was in print, it was likely closer to $40.
>>
>>3783831
That would explain why bad goy books can be $500+
>>
>>3783594
They haven't replied to me yet. If they do i'll let you know. Here's the link if you want to try.
https://houston.craigslist.org/for/d/katy-solomon-island-ground-boas/7299788578.html
>>
>>3784208
Yup. They had once listed that old sony digital camera that wrote straight to 3.5 inch floppy somehow ended up on their rare book software and so the last one spent better than a decade being listed at like $6k-7k
>>
>>3778499
Who drew that picture
>>
File: IMG_3978.jpg (1.52 MB, 2754x3672)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
First handling session post enclosure move was a success. No snapping or freakouts from the lil 'un, didn't even stay defensive in my hand long or freak out about the camera.
>>
>>3784868
Cute
>>
File: _DSC2032-6.jpg (463 KB, 2448x1632)
463 KB
463 KB JPG
Found these guys on a walk yesterday. HOW EMBARASING
>>
>>3783658
If you get a Terrapin, please make sure you check the background of the "breeder" you buy from. The subspecies where I live is endangered because of poaching for the wildlife trade. Make sure that you only buy from people you know for a solid fact are breeding them themselves and not just harvesting local populations.

I've been trying to find a Mississippi Diamondback Terrapin for like a year while herping and all I've found is a DOR hatchling and a freshly dead one washed up on a beach. It's depressing, they should be as common as sliders here naturally, but the fucking pet trade, crab traps, and over harvesting in the 20th century decimated the population.
>>
>>3783590
God, I hate the exotic animal trade so fucking much. These people are no better than Chinese poachers who are harvesting animals for their "medicine" imo. Fuck these people. They were too incompetent to make a living doing literally anything else, I presume.
>>
>>3781796
Most wild snakes I've handled will do this if picked up, they're just trying to musk so you'll put them down. They're scared is all, but they usually stop after they realize you're not going to eat them.
>>
File: snake bite necrosis.jpg (14 KB, 316x421)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>3781173
Amputations from necrosis is not exceptionally uncommon in untreated copperhead bites. Sure, you won't die (probably) but do you want to lose one of your hands/legs? Think carefully, anon. There's a lot of risks
>>
>>3785727
Keeping animals should be illegal.
>>
>>3785822
Keeping exotic animals as pets or for profit generation (i.e. shitty zoos that don't work within conservation programs), yes. Keeping animals in toto? Nah. Domesticated animals a certain species that aren't threatened and can actually live enriched lives in captivity are fine imo.
>>
>>3785845
The harsh truth is the later isn't possible without the former.
>>
>>3785846
People being able to keep crocodile monitors is not a prerequisite to keeping dogs, you numbty.
>>3785845
The trade in large numbers of wild animals for the pet trade is garbage, BUT many of the animals in the trade are animals displaced by human activity and not animals that would be left alone if it weren't for the animal trade.

And if it comes down to it, I'd rather live in a world with large numbers of captive bred Bengal Tigers in Texas and captive bred Crocodile Monitors in Florida than a world without either when deforestation and the skin trade are highly likely to drive them extinct in the wild.

Is that world the best possible world? Of course not. But for most of these animals, the pet trade isn't what's going to destroy their wild populations, so addressing the pet trade without addressing the principle threats to the wild populations is fairly pointless.
>>
>>3785853
>People being able to keep crocodile monitors is not a prerequisite to keeping dogs, y
Yea I was thinking just herps, but anyone telling me I can't impulse buy 17 croc monitors should be shot
>>
>>3785856
Hey, if the showed up healthy, warmed up, and fully charged with UVB, this should be livestreamed for educational and entertainment purposes.
>>
>>3785853
>many of the animals in the trade are animals displaced by human activity and not animals that would be left alone if it weren't for the animal trade
fucking this, the exotic pet trade, especially for herps, takes way more blame than it deserves. We're the cause of all problematic invasive species (because apparently feral cats and hogs are no big deal right) and taking specimens from the wild for any reason is bringing about that species's extinction. If you're not a zoo or scientific/conservation and keep a herp from Madagascar the general animus toward you is worse than the animus towards the people who have been systematically burning the native habitat there to the ground for farmland and show no signs of stopping. And don't even think about bringing up the trade for Chang's boner pills that does more harm in a year than pet collection does in a decade, bringing up the ecological cost of the TCM trade might stoke anti-Asian sentiment.
>>
>>3785726
I don't think I'd be getting one relatively soon. I've seen captive bred baby northerns at hamburg before so that's probably where I'd be getting them from if/when I do. I'm absolutely with you on the conservation angle, it's why I'd want to get into breeding vietnamese black breasted leaf turtles if given the opportunity.
>>
File: Pectinata.jpg (2.23 MB, 3264x2448)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
If I can't get one of these boys at the expo I am going to kill myself
>>
sleeping cutie
>>
File: 20210502_133224.jpg (1.12 MB, 1452x1090)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
My 2 new emerald tree skink. I got them last week and they are great!
>>
my leopard gecko seems to breathe fast, im worried
>>
>>3786292
Those look pretty cool. Do they have any health issues?
>>
File: pangdangdoodle.jpg (412 KB, 2880x1228)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>3785853
>Of course not. But for most of these animals, the pet trade isn't what's going to destroy their wild populations
Anon, it already is for many a species.
>>
>>3785985
>We're the cause of all problematic invasive species (because apparently feral cats and hogs are no big deal right)
No one said that, but there shouldn't be Red Eared Sliders in Tokyo right now, nor should there be wild populations of Boas and crocodile monitors decimating the everglades' birds and native reptiles. The exotic pet trade has reaked absolute havoc in many ecosystems which were already at risk because of feral cats and hogs. I don't understand your point about bringing up habitat destruction in order to justify the poaching of wild specimens from their habitat. They are both tremendous problems that can and have led to the extinction of many animals. It's the equivalent of saying the petty assault is okay because murder is worse. You can (and should) be against both if you care even remotely about these animals and want to live in a world where they prosper.
>>
>>3786748
Ah yes, those pet pangolins you see for sale everywhere.
>>
>>3786748
>pet trade
You retard
>>
File: 20210505_114641.jpg (2.93 MB, 3264x2448)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
I know this is a terrible picture, but can anybody identify the snake? You can make out a decent amount of the pattern so I hope that's enough. I'm on the Texas gulf coast, if that helps narrow it down
>>
>>3786799
Can't see much but it's probably non venomous. The only possible exception would be if it's a young cotton mouth, but I doubt it.
>>
>>3786799
Just use a stick pussy
>>
>>3786916
What's a stick pussy
>>
>>3786748
There are a few outside examples like sugar gliders and rare species of whiptail, but most of the time that's cope to prevent antiAsian racism, because the real problem is ""'Traditional""" Chinese Medicine.

Endangered torts probably fall into the category of being legitimately threatened by the pet trade, too.

But it's mostly a spook, and an excuse to virtue signal by keeping things out of the pet trade that probably should be available because the husbandry isn't impossible and they could benefit from a captive breeding program.

The most infuriating example is the Tuatara, they have straight forward husbandry, good dispositions, and readily breed in captivity.
>>
>>3786751
>crocodile monitors
This hasn't happened. There are feral AWMs and Niles out there, but monitors are a fairly low fecundity genera, so they aren't the same kind of problem the Burms and Tegus are.

Otoh, all it would take would be Tom Crutchfeld's operation being destroyed by a hurricane...
>>
>>3786751
>No one said that, but there shouldn't be Red Eared Sliders in Tokyo right now, nor should there be wild populations of Boas and crocodile monitors decimating the everglades' birds and native reptiles.
I agree, but I see reptile keepers getting the bulk of the blame. I even agree with the new Florida regs to a point, though I'd rather see a registration/licensing scheme with inspections (at the owner's expense) than a blanket ban. Irresponsible keepers definitely deserve blame for the ones you bring up, but eg. burms in the Everglades are primarily the result of a single breeding facility's failure to hurricane-proof their premises. And at this point a burm ban in Florida is gonna be as effective as a pig farming ban would be in preventing the continued existence of feral hogs in the glades.
>I don't understand your point about bringing up habitat destruction in order to justify the poaching of wild specimens from their habitat
I'm against poaching. I'm not against properly managed taking of specimens from the wild. There is a big difference. And there's an even bigger difference between approving of poaching and disapproving of bans on keeping and breeding endangered animals. I'm not arguing for laissez-faire here, I'm saying that the solution (and enforcement) should be on the end that supplies poached animals to the pet trade as opposed to the end that would rather have access to captive bred specimens anyway. For all but the most threatened species, sustainable takings are possible and a combination of cracking down on poaching while providing a legal and sustainable alternative makes sense. Sadly a lot of the poaching takes place in countries that either don't give a shit or have corruption/instability to the point where the government can't do much even if they wanted to.
My main point is that the responsible keepers who don't release their pets into the wild and don't buy poached endangered animals aren't the problem, but are the media whipping boy
>>
>>3787066
Tom would just tame the hurricane and keep it as a pet
>>
>>3786799
where in texas? we got a lot of gulf coast and it makes a difference for ID.
I personally think that's an eastern hognose. Nothing else fits that I can think of. Keels and tail pattern aren't right for diamondback water snake and it'd have to be very aberrant to be a rat snake, cottonmouth, or copperhead.
A view of the head would make it an easy ID.
>>
File: easternhogger_corpus.jpg (586 KB, 750x1334)
586 KB
586 KB JPG
>>3786799
>>3787107
pic is an eastern hogger on Matagorda Island. They usually are darker but they're a very variable species. As suggested by their name, the easiest way to ID them is their head. Harmless toad eaters.
>>
I'm against any reptile regulation. That should have been the first response to our retard politicians but it wasn't and now here we are.
>>
File: redtegu.jpg (77 KB, 1200x900)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pet/d/san-antonio-red-argentine-tegu/7317217167.html
should I? Looks like a healthy boy, and the lizard's sleek and pretty too. I'd put off my tegu plans to next year but part of the reason was I had several other enclosures to build first, but an all-included setup changes things a bit.
>>
>>3787172
#yolo
>>
>>3786831
>>3787107
>>3787118
That head looks about right. Thanks, I was just worried about my dogs being out there and getting bit.
>>
Hey guys, I got 'gifted' a northern CA ringneck snake. And by gifted, I mean basically, "If you don't take it, your nephew is going to kill it" type deal.

Not super worried about it, I basically already had a terrarium and a low watt uvb bulb, plus I know where I can catch it some prey that they eat.

My only question is, because I try to avoid taking things from the wild and I can only assume that's where they got this one, do you guys know of any successful ringneck snake breeders in CA? Or maybe just somewhere I could reasonably order some more from?

I think this one is a juvenile, it's about 5 inches long (no pictures yet because I just put it in the terrarium and don't want to stress it out), and I have read that a lot like garder snakes, they do much better in small groups. I guess they actually rub up against each other and have scents for each other and stuff, so I want to give this little guy the best chance it can have since I'm going to be it's caretaker now.

It's currently in a 2.5 gallon terrarium with live plants, but I was already working on a... I think it's a 20 long? Tank that I was going to custom build for an alligator lizard. But, as I said, kinda got dumped this little guy so that plans on the back burner now.

If there are not any captive breeders, can you guys maybe give me some pointers on how to catch a few more juveniles? They are currently under a 'least concern' as far as population goes, and though I really don't want to do that, I will if it will give this guy a better chance.
>>
>>3786765
Pangolins are routinely poached for the pet trade, particularly for rich Chinese and American customers. It is one of the biggest reasons they are poached. Just because MORE are poached for stupid as TCM doesn't mean that the many poached for the exotic pet trade become negligible.
>>
>>3786799
I am really tempted to say this is an Eastern Hognose Snake, but the lack of head makes that assessment tricky.
>>
Guys, I messed up.
I went and prepared a frozen rat for my boa constrictor, but then I forgot to put the bag full of frozen rats back inside the freezer. They sat on my kitchen counter for about 3 hours until I went and put them back inside.
Are they still salvageable? They were a bit soft, but still rather cold, and it was a large quantity of individually wrapped rats, which I imagine would help keep the heat out..
>>
>>3787071
That's just asking for invasive hurricanes. We need to regulate weather.
>>
>>3787419
They are probably fine unless your freezer is very close to 0C instead of -15c like it's supposed to be. It'll probably be fine.
>>
Do corn snakes need a heat lamp?
Is it fine with just a heat mat under then enclosure?
I live in a pretty warm place if that matters
>>
>>3787440
They need SOME level of tenperature gradient to thermoregulate, but not an excessively hot one, so a low level bulb and a nice thick dark stone slab will be moren than sufficient. Im not really a big fan of UTHs in the first place desu. Feels counterintuitive (heat radiates down in nature in almost every circumstance) and you need lighting anyway.
>>
>>3786508
Beauts
>>
Boi gonna be having his first full size mouse this weekend
>>
>>3787054
>because the real problem is ""'Traditional""" Chinese Medicine.
This tbqh. A handful of young specimens plucked from the wild every other breeding season or so pales in comparison to hundreds being grabbed to go into a dick growing potion or a bottle of liquor for rich assholes that somehow think it will improve the taste. At least in the case of WC animals that don't end up dead they can potentially be re-released or- if the environmental conditions of the enclosure permits it- bred should the need for conservation efforts arise. The WC pet industry is by no means perfect or even really all that good, but it's definitely the lesser of two evils in the face of Wong and his quest to drink fucking Komodo dragon blood out of a turtle shell bowl to improve his chi flow or some trite garbage like that.
>>
File: 1601508495451.jpg (200 KB, 879x1505)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
do you heat up your room b4 takin out ur bp (ball python)
>>
>>3787993
No
>>
>>3787993
royals can handle average room temps just fine for a while. unless they're digesting food.
>>
>>3788013
what are "royals"? im talking about bp (ball python)
>>
>>3787993
My BCI climbs in my shirt to hang out if the room isn't to her liking. It's my favorite part of owning a boa.
>>
>>3788026
Python regius (Royal python) is the more correct name for the animal.
>>
>>3788042
>more correct
Ugh
>>
>>3788043
Right?

New evidence (fossils from Guam, genetic analysis) has exploded the human-assisted spread hypothesis for Varanus indicus in the Western Pacific and atomized the species. Now indicus refers to Molukuan population only and there's better than half a dozen revitalized synonyms being reintroduced to literature as you head east.
>>
>>3788042
cringe
>>
>>3788013
>>3788026
>>3788042
>let me whip out this literal piece of trivia that anyone whose done a modicum of research into the topic already knows and then get all pedantic about it, all to make myself seem smarter than some fucking rando on the internet.
Dont do that, it fucking REEKS of fedora.
>>
File: 1500074632476.gif (1.97 MB, 200x182)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB GIF
>thread status: derailed
>>
>>3788080
Imagine if people on this board were capable of ignoring and reporting thinly veiled offtopic shitposts, but no, always gotta take everything at face value and reply.
>>
>>3788084
I'd rather have a handful of baitposts being answered genuinely and have actual conversations take place than have yet another board drown in post-irony shitposts that get 4 replies
>>
>>3788043
>>3788072
>>3788073
I'll fedora post at any ball keeper that doesn't (or pretends he doesn't) know the synonym. If they don't know a synonym that basic, what are the odds that they've ever looked at a care sheet? Did they just take Petco's word on the snake's care requirements?
>>
im gonna make a playlist soon of the snakes ive seen eating random shit and i got stuff on my phone to make into a slideshow but here is a cool video of a garder snake eating a large puffed up toad.
https://youtu.be/SZ1ogUWJ8fA
>>
>>3788073
>>3788013 here, didn't mean to start a pointless debate. they're just called royals in my native language so i prefer that common name.
>>
File: Gerarda prevostiana.webm (2.87 MB, 720x480)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
>>3788119
>>
>>3788130
>>3788130
The snake was shy and dropped it trying to drag it underneath the box, Brutal stuff
https://youtu.be/2LsthBJDKws
>>
>>3785729
>pick up barred grass snake to move it somewhere safer during hike
>reek for hours on end
What's with snakes living near water and having over 9000 power level musk?
>>
>>3788042
>>3788114
>more correct
The only "correct" name is the taxonomic name. What you call something beyond that is entirely dependent on language, and even then it's subject to colloquialism. Some people call them royal pythons, some people call them ball pythons. This is also very regional, as Europeans are more likely to call them royals and Americans are more likely to call them balls.
But considering pretty much any good caresheet lists both names, you're on to something to call out Anon about that.
>>
>>3788114
Not knowing a regional common name doesn't reflect on care knowledge. You're just pretentious.
>>
>>3788169
The care sheets list the synonyms. If you'd read them, you'd know that.
>>
>>3788173
I know they're also called royals, anon, that doesnt change that youre a douche.
>>
>>3787201
i'm doin it, unless one of us gets cold feet in the next few weeks. His fee is fair considering the equipment and I seem to have impressed him by sending a long email with questions rather than just going 'how much'. I almost feel bad about it, dude really cares about the lizard and I know what it's like having to give up a pet because of time restrictions I didn't foresee.
>>
>>3788164
most stuff that lives in/around water tend to work on the premise of "whatever I can fit in my mouth is food," where "whatever I can fit in my mouth" often means "if I think it might be smaller than me." Getting a face/mouth full of liquid foulness is probably the only thing that will likely deter most fish/amphibians.
>>
I have to show you this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZMJug6B6Q
so that I can show you Pic related.
1/2
>>
>>3788532
2/2
...so I can you show THIS pic related.
FUCKING POTTERY.
>>
>>3787993
My house is over 30C on average
>>
Bros I'm moving out of my parents house in a few months and I'm planning on buying a Snake, It will be my first reptile but not my first pet, I've been deciding between a King Snake, Corn Snake and Ball Python, Anybody have recommendations for a beginner handler?
>>
>>3788618
all those are great.
I'd take the corn first but I've fallen in love with rat snakes in general. Have a kingsnake and he's great but recently started deciding fingers are food, and that isn't fun for a first snake. And it's not too uncommon in kingsnakes. Corns and kings are both extremely easy to care for, almost identical needs.
If you are going to an expo to find a first snake you'll have plenty of selection of corns and kings (and obviously ball pythons, they often outnumber everything else combined).
>>
I've been trying to tame down a very neglected ball python. I was holding him for a while already when he turned his face to my thumb and gave a food response (chomping down and strangling my hand).

This has happened to me a hundred times with kingsnakes and the like after I didn't wash my hands properly, but never with a cute little BP lel. The poor guy must have been really hungry (he is skinny) so I fed him a small rat a few hours later. Going to continue working with him after the weekend. I think he was just never handled at all because he's both very defensive and expecting food whenever the enclosure opens.
>>
>>3788970
*royal python
>>
>>3788973
Kek.

They're called "king's python" in my language, which is really annoying because it fucks with the "king in the name stands for eating other snakes" thing, because our names for kingsnake and king cobra are translated directly from English.
>>
>>3788970
Ive seen guys take a snake hook and run it down the snake's side as a prelude to handling for larger (and more food driven in general) pythons like burms and retics - the cool metal across their skin is a pretty clear sensory signal for them to get out of food mode. Obviously you wouldnt hook a ball, but maybe something similar (touch their side with a cool smooth stone or something) or wash your hands with cold water beforehand to broadcast to the snake that youre not food and this is not a feeding interaction.
>>
>>3788970
>>3789032
Oh, and of course increase the number of non-food interactions as well. Nothing unwires the "open door equals food" connection better than open door not equalling food. Shit, maybe even try target training. Ive never seen it done with balls but it works with colubrids, so why not.
>>
>>3788369
Nice.
>>
>>3789032
>Obviously you wouldnt hook a ball
why not? it's just used as a glorified poking stick in that scenario.
in my experience they calm down very quickly. or maybe it's mine that is just naturally very chill, in my 20+ years of having him he never struck. he only hissed a couple of times at the very beginning when he'd escape his cage and i'd have to forcefully grab him out of a very tight-fitting spot.
>>
>>3778888
I think he explained that he started using clickbait thumbs because it would attract non-herp people and expose them to the hobby.
>>
>>3789081
Well, to be more precise, "getting a hook (assuming you dont have one already) for the sole purpose of rubbing it on your snake would be impractical since you just need a cool smooth thingy"
>>
>>3789094
Thats a bullshit answer and you know it. Its to drive clicks and source revenue (and attention), same as NERD. If the reptile hobby really needs anything, its to have FEWER people impulse buying herps because they saw a random video and thought something looked cool, not more.
>shame on these channels for being exploitative and even portraying these animals as dangerous, literally endangering the hobby as lawmakers pass ever tighter restrictions on shit they dont understand.
>let me photoshop giant fanged teeth on a harmless snake and spam shorts of "GIANT ANACONDA EATS ENTIRE BABY PIG," because when I do this shit it's okay.
>>
>>3789094
>expose them to the hobby
Right, because 30 thumbnails of 'MY SNAKE ATTACKED ME!!!" really gives people the right impression of our hobby. Bullshit.
>>
>>3789124
Now now, lets not generalize. Its 30 thumbnails of "MY SNAKE ESCAPED AND BIT ME THEN RAPED MY WIFE" with a handful of teary-eyed "IS THIS THE END OF MY ANIMAL HOARDING? I MAY HAVE TO SHUT DOWN MY YOUTUBE!" sprinkled in as well.
>>
>>3789164
Don't forget making a clickbait title out of his friend dying.
>>
>>3789174
Oh god fuck I almost forgot about that. Fucking sociopath.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBTeEjP4xhA
How the fuck does this nigger afford such a large amount of property and also afford to care for so many animals?
Why the fuck can't I live in florida and raise reptiles it's not FAIR BROS
>>
>>3789256
how indeed
>>
>>3789124
I'm just saying that was how he explained it. I hate it just as much. Makes me cringe.
>>
Getting a tortoise next week. Is there really any care differences between different species?
>>
>>3789122
Yeah I was just saying that he explained it that way. Brian started doing it a long time ago, which is why I stopped watching his videos. That and his hyper on-screen persona. Kevin started more recently due to his dumbass channel manager fag. Doesn't know shit about the reptiles and makes garbage clickbait shit. Kevin needs to fire him. That being said, both are still experienced reptile keepers and provide good information.

I think the most damaging to the hobby isn't their clickbait vids but the gayass pettubers like cuffaro. Stupid fucks impulse buy a shitton of exotic animals and kill them. Plus they have way more views and the information they provide is shit. Kevin and Brian at least provide adequate husbandry tips.

I will also add that the audience of pettubers is usually normie fags that just saw a cool picture and clicked on the video. There's an argument to be made for NERD using clickbait pics because they actually educate normies so that they wouldn't impulse buy.
>>
>>3789376
Imagine having the gall to defend NERD
>>
>>3789411
He's not wrong. Kevin is kind of a twat but says accurate things about care, mostly.
>>
>>3789417
I take anything someone with the opinion of 'keep your snake in the smallest enclosure possible' says with a grain of salt.
>>
>>3789425
I did say mostly
>>
File: 1618795514307.jpg (3 KB, 121x125)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>>3789425
Ok first off it's ball pythons, they prefer small enclosures. Second, he's a breeder, he keeps racks because he breeds in bulk and sells fast. Lastly, he's kept thousands of exotic animals, knows his shit and defends the hobby from shitty legislation. So fuck yourself you absolute lobotomite, he doesn't need to be defended from some cringe fag on 4chan.
>>
>>3789464
He wasn't talking about ball pythons in the video I was referencing you absolute spaz. Kevin is a knowledgeable dude indisputably but the epitome of a racknigger prioritizing profits over the wellbeing of his animals, if he wasn't he wouldn't be the grandfather of spider balls.
>he doesn't need to be defended from some cringe fag on 4chan
Then why are you getting offended and sucking his dick so hard?
>>
>>3789472
>prioritizing profits over the well being of animals
He's a racknigger because that's literally the only way he can keep his business alive. Try keeping thousands of animals and making a bioactive enclosure for each one. He's a fucking breeder, get off his rack's ass.
>>
>>3789497
>the only way he can keep his business alive
Yes Im sure NERD would just sink if Kevin stopped breeding spiders, and used racks that were at least comparable sizes to actual enclosures, and put any kind of enrichment in their tubs.
>>
>>3789497
If the only way to keep ypur business viable is to run it like a puppy mill, youre doing something wrong, but at then this entire argument feels like bait anyway, especially given the choice of image on >>3789464
>>
guys I really need your help. I think my leopard gecko has mouth rot. She has not eaten for 4 days, so I checked on her better and saw she had two small bumps on the upper jaw. So with a Qtip I managed to disloge one (a tiny yellowish ball came out) and the swelling is completely gone there, I disinfected the zone with betadine. The problem is the other bump, which is much smaller but doesn't seem to come out.
I know I know, bring it to the vet, but I can't since the reptile vet is over a border and the vet in my town only treats cats/dogs. We are locked down once again thanks to covid and we'll be for at least a month.
Is there anything I can do aside from disinfecting the area with betadine? I read about using topical neosporin, does anyone have experience with that?
>>
>>3789778
Forgot to mention I also read about oxytetracyclin being a possible solution. Getting antibiotics isn't a problem since I know the pharmacist, the problem is having the opinion of someone that knows about reptiles.
If anyone can help me I'll be very grateful
>>
>>3789425
I don't think he keeps his animals as humanely as the standards I hold myself to, but at least they tend to live their full natural lives bored as shit and occasionally afraid. He might be King Racknigger, but at least he isn't killing shit daily like a lot of the other pettubers, and I've found his handling advice personally helpful.
>>3789778
Up thread, or maybe in the last thread or two, there's a guy treating a beardie for mouth rot. I'm pretty sure he's been posting his treatment info.
>>
>>3789512
>Yes Im sure NERD would just sink if Kevin stopped breeding spiders, and used racks that were at least comparable sizes to actual enclosures, and put any kind of enrichment in their tubs.

Wasn't talking about spiders, although he made a video on it so watch that. I don't give a shit about them.

Racks the size of a 20-30 gallon? Yeah sure he's gonna cut his stock by 3/4 or spend millions to buy a new facility to house the same amount of animals but I'm larger enclosures.

Enrichment is provided to other animals like crocs and monitors because they need it for development. The balls are sold quickly and their owners can provide them enrichment. That's why he houses them in racks. He's SELLING them and those are TEMPORARY enclosures.
>>
>>3789803
I'll check, thank you
>>
>>3781167
Could you tell me what antibiotic you used and it it was topical or injection? Also I saw you used chlorexhidine to disinfect, could you tell me what concentration? I have 0,2% on hand, if it's better/safer than betadine I'll switch to that
>>
>>3789830
You're conveniently ignoring him breeding spiders because it doesn't fit your argument. I've watched his video on them, he has no argument other than deflection.

Convinced you've just never watched a NERD video, all of his permanent adult snakes are in the smallest, most bare enclosures possible.
>>
>>3789885
his argument for the najority of his poor choices typically ends up being "I've been doing this for years, so I know what I'm doing," and the fact that the animals are able to eat, drink, sleep and breed properly, so clearly that's all they need. Meanwhile his balls dont even have hides, he just put them in with a handful of crumpled up/folded newsprint as their bedding and they hide under the sheets. And that's fine apparently.
might as well bring this out again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Tw3XbZv0g
it's a long watch, but to summarize
>balls in racks dont do the shit they do in nature because they lack the ability to do so, balls in terrariums actually act like they do in nature, as if that was any fucking surprise.
>>
File: 20210508_131137.jpg (116 KB, 1016x634)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
did this gecko get urates on themselves or something?
>>
File: 1620359821447.png (1.16 MB, 500x1388)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB PNG
>>3789885
I'm conveniently ignoring spiders because I don't consider it an issue. Yeah they have wobble, but they still lead healthy lives. Some of his adult snakes are in racks but they are still interacted with, and they're balls mostly so they can live comfortably in a tub. None of his adult monitors or caimans are in racks. I'm tired of seeing retards in the hobby giving shit to some of the most positive influences. Kevin is a quality breeder who knows his shit and actively defends the hobby from shitty legislation. The work he did for monitors and caimans was also a huge benefit. But every time I go online and see a post about him there has to be some autist on there saying "but muh racks! Muh spider!" Focus on someone who is actually detrimental to the hobby like the cuffaro cancer or Taylor Nicole Dean, who actively promote misinformation, kill their animals and cause normie fags to impulse buy a monitor because it looks cool. Stop giving shit to people who do good for the hobby.
>>
>>3789520
Comparing a puppy farm to a rack system for ball pythons. He keeps them there temporarily before he sells them. He's a breeder not a zookeeper.
>>
File: 252957155.jpg (51 KB, 620x538)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>3790004
>>3790007
>this is the ideal living conditions, because they human inside survives just fine, eats and shits normally, and if you put a female in with him he'll fuck it. I'm actually doing great things for the human keeping hobby, fuck the haters.

The fact that you are where you are now just means you haven't done enough research. keep going, and you'll see that McCurley and Barczyk and maybe even Laidlaw to an extent are just rackniggers that want to preserve their business. They don't care about the hobby so much as it extends to their ability to hatch snakes they can sell for thousands of dollars, and they CERTAINLY don't care that you're white knighting them this hard.
>>
>>3790054
fuck, even Snake Discovery does racknigger shit and their racks are still leaps and bounds better than a few sheets of blank newsprint and a bowl of water.
>>
I hope your feeder rodents aren't kept in racks.
>>
>>3790116
Racks would be kind of a weird way to keep rodents, but yeah I hope any feeder animals I would give my animals are kept in as decent a condition as possible before they're culled. I want my animals healthy, and I want the animals my animals eat to be healthy.
>>
How long do I need to wait before handling my new snake? Since I picked it up myself (like a 30 min drive). It's a 6month old corn snake if that matters.
>>
>>3790301
Until it eats the first time. A week is normal
>>
>>3790200
Racks are pretty much the only way you could breed feeders, and are extremely common for feeder breeders to have. I also see stuff like the 4' stock tanks converted to mass grow out cages, but you still need lots of individual cages for pairing colonies, and racks are the only way I've seen that could make that possible in anything but the smallest level of feeder breeding.
>>
File: 1618180645772.jpg (40 KB, 518x450)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>3790054
They care about the hobby enough to breed reptiles for limp-wrists like you. Do you even understand how businesses like breeders work? He literally can't afford to keep them in racks large enough to meet your criteria and keep his business afloat. Just because some of the morphs are worth a few thousand a pop doesn't mean he's earning millions every year. Most of the money goes back into paying for employees and animal care. There's a reason why Brian downgraded to a smaller facility. Breeders like Kevin do it because they like doing it, not to make money. Also your comparison to human prison cells shows that you clearly don't understand basic ball python biology. They prefer small enclosures. Large ones stress them out unless you fill them with a shitton of hides, where they will spend most of their time. They don't require as much enrichment as humans or monitors, though Kevin does take them out and handle them. You just sound like a vegan petaphile. Don't know shit about animals but pretend like you care just to be able to whine about something. Also good job ignoring my point about Kevin being beneficial to the hobby. The good things he's done for the hobby far outweigh the shitty racknigger and spider accusations, which are literally the only things you can parrot.
>>
>>3790326
>being this assblated that someone doesnt simp as hard as you do for daddy racknigger
This is legitimately embarassing.
>>
File: 1529960214552.png (307 KB, 1300x2000)
307 KB
307 KB PNG
>>3790464
And out of arguments you inarticulate ape. I don't like newfags pretending they know shit. Bringing up the same two points and talking shit is a sign that you just got assfucked.
>>
>>3790521
Use some more wojacks, that'll show 'em. No one's actually contested your points because you dont have any besides "he do good for hobby" and "he has to racknigger because otherwise he wouldnt be able to afford to racknigger," but let's break it down point by point.
>you dont consider spiders a problem
This already should disqualify any other points you have, because it means youre either an actual retard or a racknigger yourself. LITERALLY EVERYONE, spider breeders included, recognizes that spider ball pythons and jaguar carpet pythons have wobble, and the only people that dimiss it as not that big a deal are the people that sell the morph and its derivatives. I wonder why that might be?
>McCurley has to shove his animals into bare ass closets because that's the only way he can afford to run his business
Which is 1) bullshit because other rackniggers actually provide more than the bare minimum with little difficulty, as well as the fact that up thread you can actually see that he recommends not having hides for his varanids so they're constantly exposed for socialization, which just means they hide under the scraps of newsprint he uses for substrate. 2) assuming thats somehow actually the case, he's therefore sacrificing animal welfare to keep his business afloat, which is either immoral or unsustainable. But he SUPER cares about the animals, though, right? And he cares SO MUCH about the hobby.
Not just his balls, either, every single fucking enclosure you see in his videos is bare.
>balls like tiny enclosures you dont know anything
More than you, because, again, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Tw3XbZv0g
They're fucking semi-arboreal. Birds account for Seventy Fucking Two percent of the diet of male balls in the wild. A balls python was observed climbing a tree just to raid a nest. Sticking them in a shoebox just gives you a fancy patterned sock you can breed out for hundreds/thousands, which, again is all these fuckers care about.
Not done yet.
>>
>>3790543
>ooh, daddy kevin does so much for the hobby dicksuck dicksuck
What, he donates to USARK and he goes and testifies to city council to keep his business to keep from getting shut down. Yeah, big man. I'd argue that McCurley and maybe to a lesser extend Barcyzk have actually done more harm than good to the reptile hobby, because theyre basically the founding fathers of morphfaggotry (McCurley even has the balls to take credit for spiders, and has so much as said he finds their neurological disorder endearing, like a fucking pug owner going "aww, look at him wheezing so hard" as their little brachyencephalic monstrosity struggles to breathe.) They're the reason every reptile expo is three quarters multi-colored ball pythons while actually interesting and varied herps are increasingly more difficult to find. They brought SMASHED AND SLAMMED into a hobby that's ALREADY loaded to the fucking back teeth with improper care, neglect, and bad information. And again, they do the exact same shit they accuse other channels of doing, but its okay because its THEM doing the sensationalist bullshit. Your hero is a fucking joke, using bad, outdated info to sell inbred shit snakes at hyperinflated prices to other retards who are going to inbreed them and sell them to other retards that will inbreed them further. He and you can both can go fuck yourselves.
>>
>>3790553
Barczyk's reluctance to get veterinary care for his sick animals and the way he baits shit into biting him or drops burms and retics on people for his videos makes him worse than Kevin.
>>
>>3790553
Lol geez man
>>
imagine unironically shilling for this garbage
>>
File: Pancake.png (1.37 MB, 1000x667)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
I want one of these lil' niggas so bad
>>
turble
>>
>>3791289
AY YO MEET LIL PANCAKE! SMASHED AND SLAMMED TO THE GROUND
>>
>>3790888
clickbait faggotry automatically makes me disregard whatever else someone believes
>>3791289
cutest lil nigga ive ever seen
>>
File: 1422068576119.jpg (24 KB, 385x385)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Am I a cunt for kinda wanting my frog to die? It developed an incurable condition (stomach blockage leading to paralysis) and all the research I did says that there's no way to cure it. It's still alive and eating but it can barely move around anymore.
>>
>>3791359
If it's stomach has a blockage, how is it still feeding? Anyways, if you've got a pet with a terminal medical problem, euthanize it humanely and move on with your life.
>>
File: 1503096866942-fit.jpg (41 KB, 530x444)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>3791359
I'm sorry anon, that sounds sad as fuck. Have you tried taking it to a vet?
>>
The can has been claimed
>>
>>3790054
You shouldn’t compare humans to other animals
most snakes, especially passive hunters like pythons, only care about being safe and warm. Even given the option of escape they will often just sit in their hide anyway
>>
>>3791360
I think the blockage is due to crickets (which I stopped feeding them after this happened) because I noticed they normally just poop out the back legs instead of digesting them. It ate a worm and crapped that out but it didn't loosen up the blockage like I expected.
I'll probably mercy kill it tomorrow. Rather it die by itself but guess I shouldn't prolong its suffering.
>>3791363
No vets here treat frogs, and normally I'm good with treating stuff like bloat when they had that a few months back.
>>
>>3785726
That is crazy. That subspecies used to get stuck in our pool skimmer and we rescue them and let them go in the creek/swamp/delta thing across the street from our house. One time in my second grade class for science we kept one for a bit that had an injury (with guidance from a wildlife center) til it healed then had a whole party thing when we let it go.

Didn't know it was so rare these days. This was back in the 90s. I moved out of the area early 2010s.
>>
Fuck me, scent potions are expensive on reptile shops.

Can't I just pick up some scenting liquid from a fishermans shop and use that to scent mice with? Or is that stuff not safe for a reptile to ingest?

The fishermans shop has more variety too.
>>
>>3791289
what is he i want one
>>
i wake up at 9am and go to sleep at 1
for 4 years now i've been turning on lamps for my tortoise just when i wake up and so he normally wakes up at 9 like me and goes to sleep around 10
but recently after moving he now wakes up at shit like 4-6AM and it really fucks up my sleep schedule
he's got the same tortoise box, same lamps, same everything so i don't have a clue why that happens
anyone have a clue?
>>
>>3791289
>heartbreaking images show the extent of Mario's rampage through the Mushroom Kingdom
>>
>>3791498
Pancake torts
Very very small and expensive
>>
>>3791481
No clue, bb, contact the manufacturer and ask them about the process? They'll deffo tell you they aren't safe, because they don't want to absorb liability for storage conditions, etc, so beat case is they talk to you about their process and you be the judge of whether it's OK.
>>
>>3791481
do you absolutely need to scent? in my experience with picky eaters, it is mostly a battle of who is the more stubborn between the animal and the owner.
>>
>>3791705
Not a bad idea.
>>3791855
Yea, kind of, although I guess I could make my own scenting stuff.

I got 'gifted' a somewhat fragile juvenile wild caught snake, and since it's my responsibility now, I'm trying hard not to kill the little fuckers.

I might just have to catch him a bunch of bugs and shit, see which one he likes the most, and try and use that as a scenting thing.

I was tempted to buy from Reptile Links, and I might still, but I want to get him eating something first before I invest $200 in food that might go to waste if he does.
>>
>>3791877
If he dies*
>>
>>3787071
But then it'd bite the shit out of his hand and he might actually lose that finger that's so fucked up.
>>
>>3791877
what species?
>>
>>3791897
CA ring neck snake. I posted earlier about asking if anyone knew of any captive breeders, but upon further research, that's super rare and I guess they only come together during mating season, so I probably don't have to worry about it dying of stress from being alone.
>>
>>3791903
yeah
Ringnecks are notoriously not great in captivity along with a lot of the fossorial insect eaters. If it's not eating earthworms it might just not eat in captivity.
I wouldn't do any bugs, ringnecks mostly eat soft things. Worms and slugs and amphibians when they're big enough.
>>
>>3790798
Oh you'll get no argument from me there. McCurley is an autist who refuses to change his ways because "I kno what Im doiiiing okaaay?" but barczyk genuinely has some kind of pathology.
I'll give McCurley one thing, he definitely goes the extra mile to treat his animals when they're sick, even the dangerous ones. I couldnt see barcheck (i have given trying to spell that pollack shit right, fuck it) going to even half the effort for any of his animals. Fuck he'd probably let it die for the clicks, and a thumbnail of him sitting on the floor looking sad.
>>
File: IMG_20210510_114228162~2.jpg (718 KB, 2663x3515)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
>>3791943
Alright. I did find it like a variety of things to try, but I think I made the mistake of freezing them (thinking I could kill parasites) and maybe trying too early with a dethawed slug. I don't know how the fuck my family kept him alive for two months, but I guess he did eat some soft banded crickets while with them, so I might try some of those and a live worm or slug. I doubt he doesn't already have parasites, but I thought I could still minimize the risk, you know?

Just got a super dirty tank picture of him. The terrarium I am currently keeping him in is sitting inside the bigger tank, because if he did get out of the terrarium, I thought maybe he couldn't get out of the bigger tank before I can build a proper lid.

I've only had him since I posted, so I'll probably give him another day or two and then try with a worm. Maybe if he eats some worms, I can rub that worm scent on a piece of tilapia, or maybe try what Snake discovery does and kind of shove a tiny piece of tilapia in his mouth while he's swallowing down the worm.

I feel like if I could just get him eating at least one or two different things, then I might have a chance to move him to other foods and give him a good variety, and hopefully make up for any dietary lacking nutrients that might degrade his health over time.

So far he seems to like the terrarium. He uses almost all of it, basis in different spots, and I only had to get in there once or twice to put a water dish in and see if he would take that slug.
>>
>>3792005
Aaaand I just noticed the mosquito Hawks, disgusting fucker eck.
>>
>>3792005
Worms are pretty easy to buy, and keep a colony of, so hopefully he likes those
>>
>>3792005
Farmed nightcrawlers are pretty safe, so just get a thing from your nearest walmart or sporting goods place from the fishing section. Bait shops are fine too. If you aren't digging them up from the wild you're not high risk for introducing new parasites. Just cut them up since they get pretty big.
Once he's eating those regularly, you'll wanna start dusting with a calcium/vitamin supplement and then try varying the diet a bit with crickets and superworms and stuff.
Good luck!
>>
>>3792012
>>3792014
Thanks guys, gonna try.

Question while I'm still here though, think I should leave him in the smaller terrarium until he's a bit bigger? I feel like it might be better over all, if I can see him more easily and keep an eye on his health.
>>
>>3792017
I always say bigger is better.
>>
>>3792028
Well the three gallon terrarium is definitely not going to be his permanent home, I'm just kind of concerned if I put him in that huge tank, and since he's so freakin tiny, I might not be able to catch a major health concern in time.

I guess I could wait until (if) he takes a few meals, and then move him over. Despite what I'm reading about them being nocturnal, he seems more morning/dusk. When I come into the room at night and have to turn the light on, he's always curled up in a ball chillin', so I'll probably see him slithering around and exploring like he's doing now.
>>
>>3792017
He's wild caught, his original home was the largest enclosure you can possibly have. Give him plenty of stuff to hide under/dig around in and you can put him in as big a tank as you want.
>>
>>3792044
This is true. I'm going to have to get to work on that tank then, and see if I have enough scrap laying around to do what I originally wanted to do, which was provide a water feature on the cool side, and a really dry, heated area on the other. When I was originally looking to get an alligator lizard, it was kind of like the ringneck snake where there just isn't a lot of info, so if I can provide a lot of different heat and moisture gradients, it might be pretty cool to see what he uses.

I don't have a whole lot of materials to work with at the moment, but I do have spare glass pieces and a glass cutter, plus a lot of plastic I could cut and shape if I can find a razer, and a whole shit ton of leftover aquarium parts and pumps.
>>
>>3791359
Sorry to hear, but I don't think your a cunt for being sympathetic. If you truly think your frog bro is suffering you can always euthanize it yourself (i have frogs so i've looked into it, never done it myself however) by liberally rubbing toothache gel or sunburn or first aid spray containing 20%benzocaine on it's stomach. This will cause him to go completely comatose in about one minute, you can then put him in the freezer for 24 hours. I know fish and wildlife services in florida does this to humanely cull invasive cuban tree frog populations. Again sorry about your frog, if you don't feel comfortable doing what i listed don't do it, I'm not necessarily endorsing it, it's just an option.
>>
My girl Lousiel
>>
>>3792723
Why this bitch sideways anyway here's her tank
>>
>>3792724
Very nice. If i was to nitpick I'd say add some more cover for her.
>>
>>3791695
Thx. I don't really do herpeculture, but I'm tempted to travel to Kenya to herp for this guy. You think its worth the chance of getting aids and being kidnapped by islamic extremist groups? I'm on the fence personally
>>
File: _DSC1112-5.jpg (248 KB, 2448x1632)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
Found a lil mud turtle while herping. Look at this shy lil guy
>>
>>3792731
and some more sticks, too. Looks like she wants to be up more.
>>
>>3792809
You're not going to find one because they're critically endangered. Just save up the 600 bucks for one.
>>
>>3792816
>You're not going to find one because they're critically endangered
Wouldn't be the first time I've found CE herp
>>
>>3792812
no in situ photo? :(
>>
>>3792812
https://youtu.be/L2w7z0aB3l0
>>
>>3792957
>in situ
NC2
>>
I have a 15' wide by 23' long area in my back yard I can use for some type of animal. I was thinking either ducks, with a pond, or a croc monitor maybe.

Ive owned a BTS for 22 years, and a leopard and tokay gecko for 3+ years. I successfully tamed one of my Tokay geckos.

I live in north san diego county, semi-inland.

What monitor species would be feasible to keep outdoors here? I was planning on hiring a professional to build a big cage with an indoor area for night time in the winter and stuff.

Id like a croc monitor but i realize it may not work and am open to any medium to big monitor.
>>
>>3793803
San Diego is too dry and too cold for outdoor monitor keeping. Even in August, you see low temps in the mid 60s, which is 15 degrees too low. Consider a greenhouse instead of a Kamp Keanan/Tom Crutchfield style monitor enclosure, if you want a mondo 'outdoor' monitor enclosure. Of course, with a green house, you'll still need to supplement UVB.

Croc Monitors seem to have decent temperments, but the risk of negative interactions is extreme, a warning bite from an adult croc monitor could absolutely result in an amputation, even if you are wearing gloves. Normally I don't say "only experienced (X) keepers should keep (Whatever X)", especially with long lived things like Monitors, because getting an animal you don't want, that will live for 20 years, because you want to keep something else that'll live 20 years, is fucking retarded, but you should probably be an experienced handler or observer of monitors before buying something like a Crocodile Monitor.

A Black Throat is the obvious "Big Monitor, dryish climate" monitor, but even a black throat monitor will need a lot of supplemental moisture and heat in your climate.
>>
>>3793828
August is high 70's to low 90s where I am in san diego county. A few days a year get to 100-102 F. Im in a city called Vista. It's about 20-30 minutes from the coast inland. In the winter and spring it gets to the mid 60s though. Sometimes lower, rarely.

But yeah, I thought that most monitors probably wouldn't work. Especially tropical ones like croc monitors. I also think black throats are cool. Theyre like next on my list of cool monitors.

Have you ever owned one? It's like 30-40% humidity most of the time here in my city. Which is low for many reptiles.

I heard the san diego zoo does outdoor monitor exhibits but i havent been there since i was a kid.
>>
>>3792723
Take the picture in landscape from now on. I had the same problem. No matter how many times I rotated it corrected It would upload sideways.
>>
>>3793835
I've never owned a Crocodile monitor, and probably never will, they're too rich for my blood, and I live in Minnesota, so I can't keep any herps I can't keep indoors, and as an 8+ foot long arboreal monitor, a good salvadorii enclosure is probably at least 20 feet tall.

I've homed a AWM temporarily (a classmate dumped a wild ass 4 foot male on me, and I kept him for about 4 months while I found someone who could take him and give him a better home than a Freecycled fiberglass shower enclosure), and I'm a completely obsessive overplanner currently planning out an enclosure for an indicus complex monitor. V. rainerguentheri if I can find a real one (the pet trade uses rainerguentheri as a wastebasket taxon), or tsukamotoi if I can't, once my enclosure is built, proven parameter stable, and everything's had time to grow in properly.
>>
>>3792814
She does love that spot but it can't get much higher that the plants give her incentive to go down she likes getting into them
>>
>handle kingsnake with gloves
>Absolutely mellow boy
>take off gloves
>drops everything he's doing to try and bite me the second he sees fingers
The fuck is wrong with my snake?
>>
>>3793913
He's learned to associate your gloves with handling or your fingers smell more like food than your gloves do.
>>
>>3793935
Very much the latter since this was the first time I've test to see how he'd react to my hands with gloves on. Not really sure how to get him to stop since my attempts at hook training so far have ended with him either attempting to bite the hook, or climb up it to get to my hands
>>
>>3793954
Listerine on the fingers can help convince him your fingers aren't food.

Otherwise just stop rubbing your hands in mousepiss, lol.
>>
>>3779794
you die
>>
>>3793892
i meant like up more often, not higher up. like give her a network of stuff to clamber around on
>>
>>3793954
he was probably more interested in "huh that's a new smell on this waggly thing" from the glove. otherwise, what >>3793970 said - maybe hand sanitizer? just let if off-gas before you handle him.
>>
>>3794018
That's what I get for checking with my hand to make sure the thawed mice weren't scalding hot before tong feeding him. I'll definitely be trying that Listerine thing
>>
>>3793970
Get the bitterant spray they sell so dogs stop biting hotspots.
>>
Snake doesn’t want to use his second hide or really move around much at all
He spends 90% of his time during the day in one hide only

Otherwise he is eating/drinking well and looks healthy

Humidity is 70% air temp in the vivarium is about 30c
>>
Ah yes. Kingsnakes. I love them.

>chill on the couch underneath a blanket watching tv
>kingsnake lies next to my feet (I let him roam around the room sometimes for some exercise)
>take a sip of water, somehow manage to choke and start coughing
>king latches onto my pinky toe
>fuckme.gif
>have to hop to the bathroom on one leg while supporting the snake to grab the mouthwash.

Mine is normally okay, though, provided I haven't handled another reptile before him. He's only ever gotten rodents as food but the snake-eating drive in them is really that strong.
>>
>>3794264
What kind of snake? He may not want to move around because he's perfectly comfortable where he is, try and maybe get a photoperiod going where it gets a little cooler and warmer as it would throughout the day. What's your setup like?
>>
>>3794264
that's normal
>>
why does my ballpython cage smell so bad?
>>
>>3792005
YOU GUYS I THINK HE ATE!

Oh fuck I'm excited! I put a few pieces of food on a piece of wood that he likes to bask on, and when I came back, one of the pieces was gone and one was moved around, and he is near the wood! I'm trying not to get too excited cause I can't see him enough to know if there's a bulge in his belly, but this is still pretty exciting!
>>
>>3794696
Oh my he did eat! YES! There's a little lump in his belly and he's moving his body to work it down, and stretching his jaw.
>>
>>3794659
you're supposed to clean when they pee or poop. also check for mould growth depending on the substrate. if the snake stinks (pooped on itself) give it a quick bath.
>>
>>3794700
Nice. Its always good to see a success story.
Speaking of which, I dont think Ive seen the anorexic boa around lately, I hope she's okay.
>>
>>3794711
If its bioactive, you probably have ananerobic bacteria bloom because the substrate is improperly setup (insufficient drainage, not enough/no more cleanup crew, etc.) - hard to rescue one of those, most often you have to junk the whole thing and start over.

If its not, spot clean when the snake shits/urates, check for mold in the substrate, and do a full clean/disinfect monthly - lots of nasty shit likes to grow in warm, moist areas.
>>
>>3794737
Oh man, I am so happy.

Don't know who that is, but I hope they pop in and say hi.

I started working on the other tank, but I need some supplies that will take about two weeks to get, so in the meantime I'm kind of just using cardboard to get a feel for how I want to build it.
>>
So /herp/ I've decided to rename the baby woma to from Tawny to Houdini on account of her escaping her enclosure twice in 48 hours. Her second escape found her not only disappearing for nearly a week but also traversing her happy little ass from my room on the top floor of my house to my roommate's room in the basement all without getting herself eaten by the dogs or the cat. Words cannot describe how disgustingly lucky this cheeky little shit is that she not only wasn't snatched up but somehow didn't freeze to death in the frigid hellhole I call the basement.
>>
>>3794877
She deserves a better name than Houdini.
>>
>>3794877
Anon if you lose her I'm gonna flip out
>>
>>3794933
Find me a female escape artist name and ill consider it
>>3794971
My dude I lost my fucking mind when she disappeared. At one point I thought I saw her tail in my toilet of all places and in a fit of either sperg or scared parent strength proceeded to yank it off of the floor to get the water out before she drowned, wax seal and screws be damned.
>>
File: IsZrB8L-666x1024.jpg (530 KB, 666x1024)
530 KB
530 KB JPG
>>3794996
>Find me a female escape artist name and ill consider it
Cordelia?
>>
>>3794996
>in a fit of either sperg or scared parent strength proceeded to yank it off of the floor to get the water out before she drowned, wax seal and screws be damned.
Lmao a perfectly proportional response given the circumstances
>>
>>3795060
Cordelia it is
>>
>>3794877
My king snake escaped for NINE MONTHS and I found him at healthy weight, on a morning I was supposed to be at work, essentially out in the open.
>>
>>3795060
The absolute state of comics
>>
File: _DSC1138-6.jpg (191 KB, 1088x1632)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>3792957
Here you go. He was too shy to come out of his shell, I'm afraid.
>>
File: _DSC1146-7.jpg (140 KB, 1088x1632)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>3792957
And a close up
>>
>>3795244
cute
>>
>>3795060
What the fuck is this shit
>>
>curious about ball pythons
>look up enclosure sizes
>aquarium: 40 gallon breeder (36"x18", 648 square inches)
>rack: 32 quart (24"x16", 384 square inches)
I dont get it, the dimensions arent comparable at all.
>>
>>3795487
>Comparing area to volume
Oof
>>
>>3795508
its not a fish or a gecko, why would anything but floorspace matter?
>>
>>3795511
Ball pythons are semi arboreal and will climb if given the opportunity. Fuck, they'll even bask if given the opportunity.
>>
>>3795511
>believing racknigger propaganda
>>
>>3795516
okay that makes sense but even then the bin is shallower than the aquarium.
Is it just as >>3795518 says and bins are just too small for snakes?
>>
>>3795511
>ts not a fish or a gecko, why would anything but floorspace matter?
I can't tell if this is a more subtle troll than usual or if you're actually dumb.
>>
New thread when we're done here
>>3795537
>>
>>3795522
I personally think its just the surviving vs thriving debate. People think of snakes as dumb or unthinking and therefore uncaring of a smaller space because they have limited expression, but as its been pointed out in this thread snakes with big, active enclosures will use them and snakes with small bare enclosures will be be inactive and have repetitive tendencies.
I wouldn't keep a cat in anything less than a small house with a large yard, but some people would keep a cat in a single room apartment. Same thing.
>>
>>3795541
>surviving vs thriving
Exactly, a hikikomori might be able to survive in a 4x6x8 cell, but if he wasn't already nuts, he'd go nuts trapped in there. Obviously snakes and lizards have simpler brains, but short of funnel web and trapdoor spiders or certain kinds of frogs, almost everything will have a natural territory that's larger than a nice naturalistic enclosure, never mind a snake rack.
>>
>>3795522
Just use a regular terrarium so you can put in branches and shit and the snake will decide if it wants to climb up or not. If nothing else, it's extra enrichment.
>>
>>3792723
She's a bit chunky, isn't she?
>>
Is there any way slight open fracture on a clawed frogs toe could heal on it's own? My car is busted rn and the closest vet is miles away, I'm seriously considering euthanasia.
>>
>>3796809
Uber or lyft

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.