[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1617592194417.jpg (50 KB, 652x524)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Rank your top 4 smartest animals.
>>
File: 1615401767531.png (1.49 MB, 1024x683)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
idk probably like crow, raven, rook, magpie
>>
ranking reptiles
Perentie or any kind of monitor because they're all intelligent
Cuban Crocodile
Tegu lizards
King cobra
Other crocodiles
every other reptile
>>
File: proohfish.jpg (439 KB, 1014x1024)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
Elephantfish
Birds
Octopus
Birds
>>
>>3753404
Gorilla
Gorilla
Gorilla
Scrub jay
>>
>>3753404
orcas
orcas
orcas
my dear departed doggo
>>
>>3753404
1. humans
2. elephants
3. orcas
4. chimps

yes
i do rate elephants
>>
>>3753404
Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan and Dylan.
>>
>>3753404
I'd have to be a research biologist or something in order to do this question justice. How do I know which are the smartest animals?

I googled it and this is what a BBC children's news story says:

1. Chimpanzees
2. Dolphins
3. Orangutans
4. Octopuses
5. Crows

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/16940749
>>
>>3753566
What about whales ?
>>
>>3753408
>>3753447
>>3753566
The smartest birds are actually macaws like the hyacyith
>>
they're all fucking dumb
>>
File: 1614637088443.jpg (105 KB, 1124x1100)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>3753404
Not including primates: Hyenas, wolves, elephants, raccoons. Not necessarily in order.
>>
magpies/corvids
pigs
certain apes
dolphins/some cetaceans
>>
>>3753404
Criteria of intellegence
>1. Regularly Uses Tools
>2. Memory Aided Navigation Abilities
>3. Pattern Recognition
>4. Complex communication in and out of species.
>5. Social Creatures
Honorable mentions include
>octopi
Despite being very good problem solvers they only ever link up to breed. Social structures, as well as communication, are paramount to a truly intelligent species.
>Medium size Sharks and rays
Though present Tool use is not extensive enough to make the cut.
>Crows/Ravens
Just on the verge of making the list, Are pushed off by macaws

Now the actual list (in no particular order)
>Orangutangs
Unlike other monkeys and apes, these tend not only to have complex social groups, most tool use of apes (besides chimps), But beat chimps because of the docile nature indicative of higher intelligence.
>Orcas
Easily the most intelligent of all dolphins, perhaps the most intelligent creature on this planet, the only reason they have not developed past humans is lack of limbs IMO
>Large Wrasse's (such as broomtails)
Two layers of communication, Most extensive tool use of any ocean animals, Can be solitary or group. Most intelligent fish group, And on level with macaws and chimps
>Large Macaws
Most intelligent birds, the standard for interspecies communication as well as pattern recognition for intelligent animals
>>
>>3753404

Primates, Cetaceans, Canines, Cephalopod's
>>
File: 1599823814371.jpg (111 KB, 640x640)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>3753734
Hyenas.
>2. Memory Aided Navigation Abilities
Have very good recollection of their land.
>3. Pattern Recognition
Are able to identify human traps and, if they or another clan mate has ever fallen for one, will not fall for it again.
>4. Complex communication in and out of species.
All can identify one another as individuals and immediately know who they are and where they are they in the pack or if they aren't part of the pack.
>5. Social Creatures
One of the most. Constantly adapting to the everchanging dynamic of the pack.
>1. Regularly Uses Tools
Literally the only thing they lack. Everything else they excel at to an incredible degree. They're constrained by their bodies, yet still manage to be extremely intelligent. If they had any amount of dexterity they'd be closer to human advancement than chimps.
>>
>>3753404
octopus
dolphin
elephant
chimp
not ordered
>>
>>3753816
Canines are the midwits of the animal kingdom. They can follow instructions but generally lack the problem solving skills that equate to "real intelligence".
Swap them with Corvids and/or Psittaciformes and you have a good list.
>>
>>3753734
>docile nature indicative of higher intelligence.
Is it really? Large herbivores are generally considered dumb and docile. Creatures like dolphins or hyenas aren't, despite their high intelligence.
>>
Corvids
Octopi
Elephants
Orcas
I'm not including primates because that's a given.

>>3753644
Yeah, but they're also noisy cunts while crows are smart enough to shut the fuck up once in a while.
>>
>>3755944
>whites above asians

Uh huh, sure.
[spoiler]This is the part where he spews some spiel about academic intelligence not equalling common sense[/spoiler]
>>
>>3754593
If there had been just ONE instance of the teens using tools they would have made the list. even just a stick to poke something with. unfortunately desbite being smart they do not score my 4 smartest with the criteria I normally use
>>3755814
Large herbivores are extremely smart to the extent I am kinda sad it wasn't 5 or elephants would have made the list. But docile nature around non-threats (i.e. most humans) is a sign of EXTREMELY high pattern recognition. If an animal can disregard its nature of fight or flight and instead utilize risk assessment on an individual basis it becomes a whole other level of intelligence. That is another thing all my top 4 have in common.
>>
>>3755971
Asia hasnt been innovative since gunpowder. Japan lived in the feudal age until americans forced their technology on them. Keep seething Chang.
>>
Cirno
Jesus Christ
My mother
Me
>>
Humans, especially those evolved after leaving Africa
Dolphins
Crows
Octopi
>>
>>3756375
your bongoloid ancestors lived in a shitty swamp island banging rocks together for thousands of years until Mediterraneans found them, kys anglo
>>
>>3753425
Damn look at that boy
>>
>>3753404
me
I
myself
and you ;)
>>
Mice
Dolphins
Humans.
Little de we know we where the ones being experimented on
>>
>>3753678
Are wolves actually smart?
>>
>>3757392
No, but it is unsurprising this thread quickly turned into "what are my favorite animals"

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.