[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0659.jpg (2.03 MB, 4032x3024)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
I took my brothers turtle because he doesnt want it. But I dont know what species is it or how to take care of it...
I have found some conflicting info both on the internet and in pet store.
How often should I feed it?
How big should the aquarium be/how much watter?
Should I clean the shell manualy?

Thanks, I had no idea 4chan had an animal board, but I spend most of my time here, so I guess I might as well learn something usefull for once.
>>
>>3752902
Graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii, false map turtle.
>>
>>3752923
Oh wow, thats it!
I hought its a Trachemys scripta...
Thanks a lot!
>>
>>3752902
Where dose one even find this?
>>
File: stažený soubor.jpg (7 KB, 200x200)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>3752954
well I found it in a Cenral European aquarium...
>>
>>3752944
I will post a more detailed HOW TO to help you later. May take a while though, be patient.
>>
>>3752902
>How often should I feed it?
Either everyday or every other day. It looks small so feed it stuff like raw chopped up silversides. You can transition it to plants like carrots and clover when it's older.
>How big should the aquarium be/how much watter?
10 gallons per every inch of shell
>Should I clean the shell manualy?
Just take it out and gently rub it off with a wet paper towel. Also take out that gravel and give it sand instead so it doesn't get impacted. And make sure you have a UVB lamp
>>
>>3752902
I have no idea how to help you but that's a cool looking turtle.
>>
>>3752902
google turtle forums they will have info and possibly have someone in the area to help u out, check out library books on turtles and aquatic plants. supposedly ur supposed to clean the tank once a wk and feed them periodically and make sure they are exercised
>>
File: image_72192707.jpg (2.7 MB, 4032x3024)
2.7 MB
2.7 MB JPG
>>3752986
Thanks!
It looks small, but I think my brother had it for years (possibly 5 or even 8), so I am afraid if the growth isnt just stunted.
I feed it a little in the morning and than a bigger portion in the evening, because she seems to have a healthy apetite.
Lol, the lady at pet shop said it would ingest the sand and get sick, thats why I am using gravel.
Its an old aquarium, so I have bought and evpensive replacement bulb, which is not working :/ I will just buy a standalone lamp.
>>
>>3753580
Sand will just pass through the turtle, they regularly ingest it in the wild. Gravel is a problem because it'll get stuck inside them.
You can get lamps and heat bulbs at a hardware store for much cheaper than at a petstore. Ideally you should have both a heat lamp and UVB lamp, but you could get away with just a UVB. The heat is to encourage the turtle to actively bask.
>>
>>3753580
>>3752973
>>3752923
>>3752902

>How often should I feed it?

difficult to say as this depends on lots of factors. good rule of thumb is to feed them about the volume of their head every day while they are growing when feeding animal matter: baby mice/pinkies which you can buy frozen for feeding snakes, all frozen fish food variants, small live fish/feeders like guppies/mollies, small snails with pre crushed houses, crickets, locusts, roaches, crayfish, frozen mussels/shrimp/squid from the seafood isle, earthworms from outside... food is easy to get really

>How big should the aquarium be/how much water?

as big as you can afford, imo 10x5x3 the shell length is the bare minimum. get a good filter or make one yourself from a small pump and buckets filled with filter media like lava rock gravel.

>Should I clean the shell manualy?

no. their shells are very fragile and prone to inury and shell rot. you can do more harm than good if you do not know what your are doing. it needs a good basking log where it can crawl out on and bask on and dry off it's shell. this will help prevent infection. you'll need a HQ lamp with high brightness and UVB for this. The Powersun UV or Lucky Reptile Brightsun UV are really the only options here.

take out all the gravel and shit and do not get sand. it makes cleaning the tank harder. and you should clean the tank plenty. fill it half way up. get a piece of cork bark from he pet store and clamp it between front and back walls. this is the basking log. get a spot lamp for heat, this is the "artificial sun", for now. get a cheap small pump filter to move the water. get a heater to get the water to 22-28°C. do not buy the tubes any more, they are shit and do not produce biologically active UVB. in fact, the top cover you should ditch once you have the spot lamp, they will not work together anyway.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.