[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_20210405_005138.jpg (250 KB, 1600x1200)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
Pregnant Shrimp Edition

Previous: >>3740889

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
File: minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
>>
Any of you guys get lucky enough to breed otocinclus? I put 3 of them in a small tank, but when they suck the algae off my monte carlo plants, they end up pulling them out of the soil and now it's fucked up and very slowly dying. I'm going to scoop the otocinclus out and put them in a grow out tank, but started to think it'd be nice if they bred in there since they're alone with just plants and shrimp culls.
>>
File: DSC_0262.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120)
3 MB
3 MB JPG
My mystery snails shell is looking a little white. Could it be a calcium deficiency?
>>
>>3748936
lmao
Is that all just for the betta?
>>
File: 1522700195961.jpg (31 KB, 398x292)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Axolotl on soil
discuss
>>
>>3749139
that's fine. Need to make sure your kh doesn't drop too low from the soil but that's it really.
>>
>>3749025
Whats your kh/gh? Worst case drop some eggshells in there and the snails will chooch em
>>
>>3749041
100 gal is the minimum anon
>>
File: 8752340998324.jpg (124 KB, 750x920)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>3748932
>order plants off the internet
>read that salt can kill most hitchhikers
>bathe plants in salt & rinse thoroughly
>place in aquarium
>there's a single mosquito larvae, a hydra, and as of today, now pest snails in aquarium
>betta is rubbing on rocks from what I can only assume are parasites

Don't be a moron like me /aq/, properly quarantine your plants and spring a bit extra if you need to so you get them from a good source. Looks like I'm gonna be medicating the tank for the next week. Also gonna pray I got all of the pest snails and they don't establish.
>>
>>3749216
Really if you think about it, most fish in the wild at the very least live in a section of a smaller stream and have all that space to swim in. Anything >100 gallons isn't sufficient for anything that swims, but I guess you could argue that snails and shrimp could be ok in a smaller tank.
>>
File: 20210404_203748.jpg (2.84 MB, 4032x1920)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
Heres a Amani fry and a ghost shrimp
>>
File: 20210404_203740.jpg (2.84 MB, 4032x1920)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>
are those aquarium grass seeds on amazon a meme? The reviews seemed to be mixed so I'm still unsure if I should pull the trigger. I want a grassy landscape on a new aquarium I am setting up.
>>
>>3749274
https://youtu.be/tAVxBs3Ke0k
Dude just look it up on youtube
>>
>>3749234
Just pay for tissue culture brainlets. A little bit more expensive but 100% pest free guaranteed
>>
>>3749274
They are not a true aquatic plant and they melt after a while. Dwarf hairgrass or dwarf sagittaria is your best bet for a grassy scape
>>
>>3749287
>>3749234
Tissue culture is pretty fun, but not available for everything.

Also you likely didn't use enough salt. For a short dip you're going to need 1.012 bare minimum specific gravity I believe, but possibly more. 1.018 would definitely kill hitchhikers in a few minutes but it also poses a risk to the plants themselves.
>>
>>3749334
I got memed on the other thread by you fucks but I think you guys should start dipping your plants in bayer insecticide. It's a proven method for saltwater livestock and macro algae and I don't see why it couldn't work for freshwater. It will have zero effect on the plants and I bet you could keep it in there for a few hours even. All it would require is a dam good rinse after to be safe to put in your tank.
>>
>>3749354
>bayer insecticide. It's a proven method for saltwater livestock and macro algae
Not even a good bait.

For those interested where this comes from though it's a fairly commonly used dip for coral. It will instantly kill macro algae and fish however. Also it is not without risk to the coral itself, as is the case with any dip in freshwater or saltwater with anything.

Think about it this way: if there was a dip method that was 100% effective and 100% safe, why would anyone ever talk about quarantine still?
>>
>>3749367
>It will instantly kill macro algae
FALSE you dumbass faggot, even AlgaeBarn uses it for their macros and I've personally used it on chaeto and pom pom gracilaria with zero issues. It's actually one of the most gentle dips available, so much that people use it as the preferred method for sensitive deep water acros. There's no such things as a 100% dip because no dip can kill eggs. It's still very useful to dip anyways and it's way better than letting your tank get pozzed outright without any treatment
>>
>>3749380
>sperg out
K dude.
>It's still very useful to dip anyways and it's way better than letting your tank get pozzed outright without any treatment
Never said it wasn't, however if you think it's without risk, you are a moron. There are zero guarantees in this hobby.
>>
Will there be a nitrit spike eventually?
>>
File: LED_onf flat_.jpg (31 KB, 794x1178)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Would they send me a free pic related if I make an aquascape video? Jesus christ almost every nano tank video is using these lately.
>>
>>3749465
if you fuck up somehow it may, other than that, spikes are rare desu
>>
>>3749567
I thought it will be certain in new aquariums.
>>
>>3749465
>>3749571
What's your source of ammonia? You have to "feed" the aquarium so ammonia can actually be released for the bacteria to grow on, if you don't feed at all you won't have easily detectable spikes but also not a sufficient amount of bacteria to convert the waste once you put in fish.
>>
>>3749572
Feeding without anything inside other than snails?
>>
>>3749572
I have bladder snails that poo, does that count for something?
>>
>>3749579
Might not be enough depending on how many there are, put some fish flakes in there to rot to increase the ammonia
>>
File: 8bc3ecfab4957dbd.png (152 KB, 718x753)
152 KB
152 KB PNG
i want it to rain in my /aq/uarium, how do i do it, brooos?
>>
Should I clean my aquarium filter weekly when I'm still in the introductory phase?
>>
>>3749815
no
>>
>>3749234
flubenol kills snails & hydra
>>
zucchini - favorite meal
>>
>>3749828
Do you need bio zucchini for this or how do you make sure they didn't use some shit on it that's dangerous for the aquarium? Do you cook it or something?
>>
>>3749830
Just yeet it in there and see what happens. I have been feeding my plecos random veggies for ages and never had problems with pesticides. Rinse them off, like you'd do it with the veggies you're planning to eat yourself and youre good.
>>
File: IMG-20210403-WA0019.jpg (160 KB, 1024x768)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
My guppys
>>
>>3749815
You should never clean your filter, except when it's clogged, and even then only the fine part. The coarse foam/media houses bacteria that filter the water, the sponge/media itself does very little actual filtering.
Cleaning the whole thing kills and/or removes the bacteria and will crash your tank.
>>
>>3749537
What is that? Where online would I find them?
>>
>>3749830
Im blanching them first, and always using thick pieces - leaving them for 40 hours in water. Thin pieces fall apart. They dont finish them off completely - about 1/3 to 1/2 is consumed. If you can, buy what is called “ecological” here in EU. They cost more, but a single one lasts for two weeks if you pack it in the foil ( pic related ) and keep it in the refrigerator.
>>
>>3749892
how big is your tank?
>>
>>3749962
56l, way too small. But i'll move soon and plan to give them more space.
>>
>>3749892
This is very cool! Looks like a nice healthy guppy resort!
>>
Does anyone have a lowboy or similar tank?
I'm looking to have one made, but is there any reason a low tank would not be a good thing?
Thinking of ~4ft wide, 1ft tall, ~1.5ft deep.
>>
>>3750006
Thanks! :)
>>
Please help me, I have a koi fish on my aquarium, and for the over a month or so it's fins have been getting red and it has been getting red spots under it's eyes. It's from a bacteria, and it is curbed by me putting antibiotics in the water, which I have been doing, but it seems like I have to do this every single day forever.
Isn't it supposed to be cured? At least two occasions I did it until the fish didn't have red anymore and was looking healthy as possible but it just keeps coming back. What's more is I think it's been being less effective too.
Luckily none of the other fish in the aquarium have caught it. Though this fish caught it from one that died before it.

I don't know how to get rid of this thing. Should I try to isolate it or something and aggressively medicate it? Or what?
>>
>>3750112
Daily 20% water changes helped me cure a lot of bacterial infections, but i am not sure if this is possible for you since your aquarium has to be a heck of a lot bigger than mine since you can fit a koi in it. Also, what's your water temperatue?
>>
>>3750117
It's not really a koi they call it koi at the pet store though.
It basically a goldfish with a fat belly and colorful markings. I'll try doing the frequent water changes. Temperature should be around room temperature.
>>
File: 722940153cfee254.png (672 KB, 600x600)
672 KB
672 KB PNG
>>3749807
bump
>>
>>3750122
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VMXNGzrKjo
>>
>>3750121
Do you have a picture of the fish? Could be helpful.
>>
>>3750149
but i have an open tank setup
is there any nice way putting something like this on the ceiling?
>>
How often should I do water changes in a 3gal heavily planted tank with a betta and an assassin snail?
I used to obsessively do 30% biweekly but I'm wondering if I'm not doing too much.
>>
File: 1447615318477.gif (1.98 MB, 335x340)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB GIF
bubbles
>>
>>3750262
That’s basically what I do with my five gallon that’s also decently planted and I haven’t had any issues.

Just buy some test strips and check occasionally (particularly right before and after a water change).
>>
>>3750149
>that monster pleco in that size tank

The rain system is actually a pretty neat idea though.
>>
>>3750149
That pleco tho... it cant even turn around without hitting a wall
The rain is neat
>>
>>3750262
Honestly once a week should be more than enough if you're not feeding heavy. If the plants are growing good without algae that means there's a good balance of nutrient consumption and excess water changes would be unnecessary.
>>
>>3750262
Id start doing it every two weeks. If its planted enough nitrates wont go above 20ppm indefinitely. I have a 5 gal shrimp tank and nitrates are barely even 5 ppm and i havent done a water change in months only evap replacement
>>
Does anyone have any advice for building a 5-10 gallon saltwater reef aquarium? I grew up with a big saltwater reef tank and have been missing having an aquarium immensely. Don't have a whole lotta space right now, but if anyone has helpful advice, it would be much appreciated. This is my first time on /an/, is there ever a saltwater aquarium general?
>>
>>3749234
I've always used hydrogen peroxide dips with 99.9% results, some people swear by potassium permanganate but I am far more weary of that near my tanks than H2O2.
IMO a couple weeks of quarantine isn't as effective as a proper dip and quarantine is.
I have no experience with saltwater, so perhaps that is different, but for freshwater I don't see how a salt dip will really do much for anything other than fungus.
>>
>>3749807
Drill a thousand holes in a clear sub-cover and run a secondary pump return line over it that's T'd off from the main.
>>
>>3750940
There was a couple guys working on one way back but I haven't seen them around in a LONG time. 5G seems... improbable. I've certainly seen 10G. Literally the biggest primarily saltwater YouTuber is named coralfish12g because he kept a 12G reef. Might want to check out his early videos for a tiny reef perspective before he got dat big YouTube bucks and started traveling the world and building a koi pond at home.

BRS' YouTube is a big favorite around here for general reef knowledge.
>>
>>3750973
>Koi pond
What is it with faggots and devolving into Kois like it's the endgame?
>>
Hey, instead of keeping a houseplant, could I keep an aquatic plant in a vase?
I was given a large glass vase as a housewarming gift and I’m never gonna buy flowers.
I know it will need light and treated water, anything else?
>>
File: 20210402_140040.jpg (1.57 MB, 2268x4032)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
>>3751027
No need to treat the water if its just plants. Aquasoil or root tabs, liquid ferts and CO2 will all help, how much of that you want or need is up to you and your plant selection.
>>
>>3751032
I was just gonna get something leafy from the average pet shop. I’m not so fussy, I would have preferred a houseplant to a vase so I’m just working with what I’ve got.
Stupid question, would I need a CO2 pump?
>>
>>3751040
Shouldn't need one for standard pet shop fare. More for things with a lot of reds or dense bushiness. You can absolutely grow plants out of the vase still. Pothos grows like crazy.
>>
>>3751045
Mostly because I have the vase, I wanted to go for something a bit different. I already have a heap of succulents and a peace lily. I’ll look into a pothos though.
>>
>>3750940
Just keep it simple is my best advice meaning no hard/stony corals, that way you won't need to dose Alk/Ca. You wouldn't want to keep too many fish either, 1 or two small ones at max if you don't have a solid nutrient export system like a chaeto reactor. A big issue you might run into as a beginner or person getting back into the hobby these days is that there's no such thing as real live rock anymore because every country has banned it's export including real dried reef rock. This means that your only options are those dense concrete manmade or mined rocks that take forever to properly cycle and balance. I highly recommend extra bio media like marine pure spheres hidden behind a large filter or the back of an "all in one" chamber for better nitrification. Try to get the largest tank you can fit, many companies make nice "cube" nano tanks that can fit better in places but still have a decent water volume. A 10 gallon is a doable reef tank if you plan carefully. A five gallon would be challenging unless it's an invert only system. If you have the money, please invest in an auto top off, small tanks can easily get bad salinity swings. Luckily for lighting and wavemakers there's been lots of more affordable options coming out some that are specifically well suited for smaller tanks. My final advice is to research yourself and plan for a while before you actually invest, a LOT of money can go down the drain if things don't work out accordingly.
>>
File: babies2.jpg (632 KB, 2048x1536)
632 KB
632 KB JPG
>>3748932
Woke up to 2 berried shrimp today bros
how are your shrimps doing?
>>
File: IMG_4058.jpg (2.18 MB, 4032x3024)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
Thoughts on this positioning? I'm still brainstorming, but I'd like to have some large river rocks underneath and around the bases of the wood
>>
File: aBon7kaZ_700w_0.jpg (64 KB, 536x800)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>3748932
>be me
>get new and bigger tank for my fish
>add some nice plants to make fish happy, add plenty of hiding space
>start cycle with old filtermedia and move fish over
>do daily warerchanges to minimize stress during the cycling
>after a about two weeks the tank seems pretty stable
>fish look happy and healthy
>I'm happy
>suddenly one fish starts doing the "complaint dance"
>my fish usually does this "dance" in front of the glass when they want something, e.g. food, less light or if I've moved a rock or sth and it blocks a hide
>Try to find out what's wrong.
>try the lights, no. And I haven't moved anything, temperature and parameters are fine too.
>cant find anything wrong
>shoo the fish but he wont stop complaining
>realization.rar
>get the hose and do a quick water change
>complaining stops immediately
>OK
>next afternoon. Fish complains again
>do a water change. Complaining stops
>these fucking spoiled shits

This has been going on for a week now.
I guess my fish have trained me to give them daily water changes.
>>
>>3751171
I keep losing them, one per week. Despite that i got like 20 young babies right now, theyre molting and growing. I legit thinking it might be old age, i dont know how old they were when i got them. I did a 50% water change spread out over 2 days the bring the GH down under 180 ppm because i noticed it was super hard, hopefully that helps. I also got some assassin snails because i have a tiny snail problem
>>
>>3751416
I started 4 tanks this year and i noticed that they cycle really doesnt complete until like a month in. Check your nitrite levels because thats usually where my tanks get hung up, big nitrite spike while ammonia stays super low
>>
>>3751427
I've heard about it taking even longer than that for the nitrites.
I'm checking both nitrite and nitrate, they're not zero yet and the tank definitely isn't fully cycled, so I'm keeping an eye on it.
>>
>>3751171
the one in op pic has a few eggs, the one that was berried before dropped em, probably too young. I got 3 more with an egg spot.
>>
>>3751427
he used the old media tho, that's more or less an instant cycle unless you killed the bactbros somehow
>>
>>3751469
They say that but i think a lot of the bacteria dies in the transfer process or something because it still takes my tanks a month or so to adjust even with old media in their filters
>>
>>3751438
If its planted well enough, nitrates will stay low even without water changes. J have a pothos in all my filters and the highest nitrates i have are 15-20 ppm after a month of no water changes
>>
>>3751482
Pic related is my shrimp tank. Nitrate strip stays white 9 months in, i go months between water changes and then its only to adjust hardness or ph
>>
File: 1583883863643.jpg (34 KB, 550x550)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>bubbles
>>
>>3750975
>What is it with faggots and devolving into Kois like it's the endgame?
No clue, but related, I bought a shitload of live rock from a dude that was tearing down a MASSIVE reef tank that'd been healthy for a decade because he was giving up all his other tanks for one koi pond.

coralfish12g is still a-okay in my book though. His primary focus is still clearly saltwater and indoor fish in general (he also has a discus tank and a planted tank).

>>3751480
>because it still takes my tanks a month or so to adjust even with old media in their filters
Depends on old bioload vs new, plus what your tank had in it. Often the old system is underestimated with just how much nitrifying bacteria are living in the substrate or other 'scape while the contribution of ceramic is overestimated (and ceramic in general is WAY overrated).
>>
>>3751482
Not too bad for such a long time without water changes
It's been slowly falling from 20 to <10ppm in my tank. My test strips aren't that good so I don't know the exact values. Nitrite was as high as 0.1 by it's a 0.5 now

>>3751486
I've tried photos before in the old tank but they never developed roots and just died.
Any idea how to make them work? I've got a canister filter so I can't really put them in there
>>
>>3751469
It wasn't an instant cycle but it definitely was faster than not having used the media.
I had a algae problem so I didn't transfer the gravel and decorations. I worried a bit thay I'd transfer algae through the filter, but luckily I didn't, so it was worth the extra effort
>>
File: 1443732816009.png (49 KB, 195x179)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>bobbles
>>
>>3751565
> BIBBELI BOPP
>>
File: 1458341675078.jpg (72 KB, 640x640)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
dont bopp my bobbless
>>
File: 1532033066007.jpg (47 KB, 187x234)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>3751490
>bubbles
>>
>>3751506
Add an hob and use pete or dirt like material for their roots. Go to a garden store and ask for the water resistant pothos
>>
>>3748932
mine got stolen......................
>>
relevant aquarium video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyfnoEa-P58
>>
>>3751773
Your shrimp..?
>>
File: 20210406_172850.jpg (2.82 MB, 4032x1920)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
Bought 2 cherry shrimp for the 3 gal yesterday, they so far have been a much better clean-up crew i had a biofilm on the top and they've almost taken care of all of it. Im also still seeing 3 amani fry in my tank i know they wont live to adulthood but i really hope they do

Hows your tank doing anons? Any new tankmates?
>>
File: 20210406_172857_HDR.jpg (3.21 MB, 4032x1920)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
My ghost shrimp shed yesterday and the Amani started eating the old skin.... Anyone else ever seen this
>>
File: 20210406_190929.jpg (3.76 MB, 4032x1908)
3.76 MB
3.76 MB JPG
What's wrong with my clown loach. He just sits here 24/7. I have 9 others in the tank and they all swim around as expected, but this one just stays in this spot and dosent move. I've picked him up, put him in the middle of the tank and he immediately swims right back to his spot.
>>
File: 20210406_210746.jpg (1.12 MB, 1960x1530)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
One of my rummynose tetras has green, almost iridescent color developing on his head. Hard to get a pic. Is this just him fully colored up or some disease?
>>
File: 57234583456.jpg (1005 KB, 3264x2448)
1005 KB
1005 KB JPG
>>3751894
Autism
>>
>>3751937
add mickey mouse gloves to his pectoral fins
>>
Help me out, anons.

On my phone a few weeks ago I found a very compelling site that makes "premium" aquarium backgrounds to-order. They are textured and 3d. I think it was based in Europe, and had a lot of business in North America.

Any anons know what this could have been? I can't find it in my history. Help?
>>
>>3751940
universal rocks?
>>
File: 53685369358536.jpg (1.2 MB, 3264x2448)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>3751938
But he's a serious fish. And he has frens.
>>
>>3750963
Hey Bro, can you tell me about hydrogen peroxide dips and how it works? Genuinely curious. Want to start a planted aquarium and I definitely want to avoid such pests.

Thanks anon.
>>
File: 20210406_224043_HDR_(1).jpg (3.54 MB, 4557x2597)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB JPG
>>3748932
To the anons that said siphon the gravel and weaker light thanks. Almost all the algae is gone and the shrimp are keeping it down.
>>
File: 20210328_185535_(1).jpg (3.01 MB, 3997x2331)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>3752093
Before
>>
>>3751894
Could be sick.
Is he eating? Can you see anything wrong with him?
>>
Does anyone have the picture of aquarium plants with deficiencies?
>>
>>3752211
>>
>>3752297
thank you!
>>
I never do water changes, granted I heavily plant and understock but still, never ever do them and I haven't lost a fish in years. What is going on? Why are people so obsessed with water changes?
>>
>>3752323
What kind of fish do you have? Some have a bigger bioload than others
>>
My wife’s grandpa used to keep fish and he never, ever did water changes. He just topped up the tank when the water evaporated. The whole room the tank was in fucking stunk and the fish seemed to die regularly. Still, he insisted he knew what was best.
>>
>>3752323
because i use the old water as fertilizer for my garden
plus i need to replenish the minerals used by shrimps and snails
>>
>>3752323
There is a build-up of elements going in every aquarium
if it worked for you so far - fine, but dont make it look like its a normal way to go
Unless you have a unique combination of tap water, fish, plants and food - sooner or later it will “crash” and hopefully you will act promptly when it does
Look up “old aquarium syndrome”
>>
>>3752323
If your tank is, say, 10% stocked and has a lot of plants you'd get away with that for a long time, yes.
Similar to how your cat can shit in a large garden without it being a problem, you can't use that as an example and say you dont understand why people clean litter boxes.
>>
>>3752344
old boomer fishlore was that aged aquarium water had magical properties and that water changes were for ignorant fools.
>>
>>3752415
>aged aquarium water
Yeah, thats before we knew with a certainty that beneficial bacteria settle down on surfaces and not in water
I just wanted to clarify for anyone who is new and might be tempted to follow the wrong path here
>>
A reminder that veggies are good for you
>>
>>3752415
>old boomer fishlore
I audibly chuckled
>>
>>3749019
From what I’ve heard, it’s a lot like breeding corys but just more finicky.
What I’ve heard of people doing is putting them in groups of six then feeding them high protein food. Then they will do a water change cooler water (I’ve heard of people using rainwater but I don’t think it’s necessary). Somebody on plant catfish made a public journal about his experiences, I don’t have the link but I’ll post it if I can find it
>>
>>3751941
Yes, thanks anon!
>>
>>3752142
He looks completely fine. I'll have to watch him when the auto feeder goes off to see if he eats.
>>
>>3752518
Hm. Strange. Social fish shouldn't hide, same as your cat or dog, they only hide if something wrong.
It could be intestinal parasites, or maybe he's getting bullied by the other fish.
>>
File: reIMG_4062.jpg (417 KB, 900x1200)
417 KB
417 KB JPG
love to see all the beautiful new growth
>>
What do you do with canister filters that has like a spray bar but also an output that just vomits water? What's the point of the second output?
>>
>>3752529
Could it be for easy water changes?

What model is it?
>>
File: 2.jpg (29 KB, 450x315)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>3752596
>>3752592
I meant you. Oops.
>>
>>3752596
It's not a canister filter, oops. Brainfart. I meant an internal filter. But it's the one pictured. I know it's a fairly bad one that just came with the tank, but I've seen other filters with the same thing?
>>
>>3752610
Are you talking about that white tube?
That's for adding air to the tank without needing an extra air pump. It's a neat design
>>
>>3751888
>>
File: 20210407_193143.jpg (175 KB, 1200x1200)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>3752656
No, the part I marked here. And no cap for it in the box so I guess it's working as intended?
>>
File: 1595009134136.jpg (178 KB, 540x720)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>salt
>water
>>
>>3752523
I'm considering temporarily putting him in my 5 gallon to see what he does. Maybe when I get back in town..
>>
>>3752737
Yeah. It's for the air part. The water flow pulls in air too.
If it's not working the air tube might be too long. I had to cut mine to about 5 cm for it to work
>>
what is going on here?
>>
>>3752529
How much did that frag set you back?
>>
>>3752862
Nothing. Only bishoujo fish in nice tanks
>>
>>3752862
Eating veggies
>>
Has anyone had any experience moving with a larger tank? I'm thinking about just buying a new larger aquarium and just transferring the fish and plants individually instead of attempting to move a 55 gallon down one flight of stairs, across town, and then up and additional two flights. I'll try to transfer as much of their old water as I can, but other than that I really only have like 3 days to do this lol
>>
>>3752871
cute fishe. which fishe?
>>
File: reIMG_1830.jpg (227 KB, 787x1050)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>3752865
I bought it last July for 25$ when it looked like this
poor guy was covered in asterina stars munching away at his bod
>>
>>3748932
My red tail shark is lethargic lately. He just sort of lays on the gravel when he's no doing anything. He's not stressed because his colors are intact. What dose this mean?
>>
>>3752893
Nice.
>>
>>3752961
>He's not stressed because his colors are intact.
Not guaranteed. You could even have a dead fish with colors intact for hours.

It could be quite a few things, but the vast majority of time it comes down to water quality.
>>
File: 4ede4f4e9f950c52.png (97 KB, 448x564)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
>bubble?
>>
>>3752961
>>3752983
I second this. Check your water. Or at least do 20~50% waterchanges every 2 days for a week
>>
>>3748932
What kind of substrate requires the least maintenance?
I don't want to vacuum
>>
>>3753042
No substrate
>>
>>3753046
What happens to their poo on the bottom?
>>
>>3752096
noice

>>3753051
it becomes the substrate
>>
>>3752890
Its a Crossocheilus latius
Had a pair for about half a year now, they are helping me with algae - a very actuve and fun fish to watch
>>
>>3749025
He's not commiting enough crime. Kneel on another snail for awhile, should get it going.
>>
>>3748932
I’ve got some unopened hikari frozen enriched brine shrimp and daphnia that ranges from about 5-9 months past the best use date. The fishes that it was meant for died of a bacteria outbreak, so I completely forgot about the stuff. Will it still okay to use, or should I just toss it?
>>
File: hmm.png (327 KB, 607x536)
327 KB
327 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cWGuNaEHKU
uh guys??? Is his fish OK?
>>
File: 20210407_225232.jpg (3.92 MB, 4032x1908)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
Bros, I think I over fed my weather loach. His tail keeps floating up and he's struggling to lay flat at the bottom. He's having to anchor himself under some plants. What do? I can't lose this guy.
>>
>>3753301
Sounds like swim bladder issue
>>
>>3753042
Check out what the big/monster fish owners are doing. Running tiles/no substrate with an air curtain on the long side seems to be reasonably popular.
Worth noting that their 1000gal tanks are turning over a dozen times an hour though.
>>
my floaters are dying and idk why, some of their leaves have turned brown while others are bright green, their roots are turning dark brown aswell, I've taken to removing the darkest ones but they keep popping up, anyon e have an idea on why?
>>
>>3753282
What the fuck schizo shit is that youtube channel?
>>
>>3753301
>that blue sand
>>
>>3753494
If their roots are turning brown it could be bad bacteria in your water. If the roots have a brown layer on top it's alge.
Either way remove the dead plants and do daily water changes for a week and see if it helps.
>>
>>3753042
Then quit the hobby.
Or get a huge tank with gravel, tons of fast growing plants and 1-3 tiny fish that you never overfeed
>>
>tfw you see a really nice fish in the LFS but you have no spare tanks
>>
>>3753680
My tanks are all a disgusting mess. All my scuds died. Fuck
>>
>finally got a house
>gonna be a few grand in projects before I can blow money fucking with fishe
at least it has a huge basement I can use as the fish dungeon.
>>
Hey guys, I have a quick question. I have a 5 gallon that has nothing but a betta and a bunch of plants in there right now. I keep the glass clean with a toothbrush every couple weeks or so, but I can't get below the substrate. Recently, I've been seeing more algae growth on the walls of the tank, just below the substrate. I was think about getting a snail or shrimp or something to deal with it. Would Malaysian Trumpet Snails be my best bet for this? If so, is there a way to keep them in check from the get go?

>Parameters: 6.5pH, 78F, 0 Nitrates.
>>
File: images (3).jpg (6 KB, 230x219)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>3753744
>welcome to the fish dungeon
>>
>>3753781
look at those eyes. Acting all koi.
>>
>>3753769
Nerite snails have worked pretty well for me. Wouldn’t recommend shrimp unless you don’t mind them becoming a snack for the betta
>>
>>3753781
I am going to fuck my fish and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me.
>>
>>3749272
>>3749270
Those are ghost shrimp, not Amano.
>>
My wood is still covered in white stuff. I hope I get my spike soon so I can insert red cherry shrimps.
>>
>>3753905
get some snails bro they'll sort that out
>>
>>3753913
I have 3 bladder snails and I have eggs in at least 3 different locations.
>>
>>3753915
oh those are the worst type of snail
i have red ramshorn and trumpets, 1000x better than bladders
>>
>>3753917
I got them from the plants that I bought. I don't want to kill them.
>>
>>3753905
>moss balls
enjoy your clogged pipes
>>
>Recently started a 80 gal fresh water aquarium.
>Decided to buy a bunch of plants.
>Saw this really cool website and order with them.
>Received the package only to discover that none of the plants was over one inch height.

I feel ripped off, all of the species I bought are known to grow slowly and by being so small I feel like they will melt into oblivion. Would they survive?
>>
>>3753915
Jesus Christ how horrifying
>>
>>3753950
Plants melt back anyway. Most submersed plants throw their leaves of and grow new ones when they get put into new water. What you buy, when buying plants for an aquarium is the roots.
>>
>>3753992
Why do you Americans accept this bullshit?
I've never had this happen to a plant.
>>
>>3753992
Well the same applies for the roots, some of the bucephalandras barely got any. Also got "in vitro" cryptocoryne so it is hard to tell the roots from stems.

>>3754043
I agree with you, with some plants I have never seen this (Echinodorus and Ludwigia).
>>
>>3748932
is triop guy here?
>>
>>3753042
>>3753046
>>3753051
I second >>3753471. You'd have to have good enough/directed water movement (i.e. get wavemakers and don't rely on just filtration flow) in the tank so that detritus doesn't settle and will get filtered out normally. It's way more difficult to do with substrate.
>>
>>3749572
I just piss in my tank
>>
>>3753905
Did you check your moss balls for that invasive snail species?
>>
File: submersed.jpg (13 KB, 251x201)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>3754043
Well first of all, i am not from the US. I am from Germany.
I can explain the melting of plant to you if you want, but it will probably go over your head, since you seem to think that it is relevant whether you accept how things are or not.
Anyway, a lot of the commonly used plants for sale as submersed plants for your aquarium are not species that grow fully submersed naturally. A ton of them come from shore regions, where some of the plant grow submersed and some grow emersed. The plants have different leaf formes for emersed and submersed growth. A great example for this is hygrophilia difformis, since this plant grows completely different leaf shapes and you can easily see two different kind of leaves on the same stem. The plant farms where they cultivate the plants for wholesale tend to grow the plants with only their roots submersed and their leaves emersed, because this way the plant can take on co2 form the air and grow much faster without having the costs of using a co2 system. So they send the plants with emersed leaves to your local fish store, where the leaves are put into water. Usually the turnover of plants is so high, that the plant gets sold while still having their emersed leaf form, which is why they melt back in your tank. Afterwards they grow new leaves. Leaves that are actually meant to be submersed. This applies to pretty much every hygrophilia, echinodorus, some cryptos and a ton of your run of the mill stem plants. Some plants that are initially grown submersed include anubias, java fern and most mosses. I'll add a picture of hygrophilia difformis with submersed leaves to this post and one with emersed leaves to my next post, so you'll have an example.
>>
>>3754132
And this is the emersed leaf form of hygrophilia difformis
>>
>>3754129
It's a mussel, not a clam.
>>
>>3753518
I wanted black gravel but the girlfriend wanted something colorful. I atleast diverted her from the rainbow bullshit.
>>
>>3754167
Actually it’s a zebra
>>
File: 017f7fada9f747a5.jpg (99 KB, 1052x707)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>3753009
>elbbub
>>
>have a few tiger barbs in with my malawis
>the big fish leave them alone but since there are only 6 they fight amongst themselves
>over the course of covid 3 die
>shops open again so I get 6 more
>3 die in the bag and 1 the next day with no identifiable cause of death
Fucksake, they're cute but goddamn are they made of paper? Are these things so inbred now their life expectancy is a week?
>>
File: 1a2.jpg (21 KB, 600x748)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Is there anything your fish have an irrational hatred for? My betta fucking hates my one work colleague, my red blanket and the movie American Psycho.
>>
>>3754224
My sisters betta hates her and randomly flares at her and nobody else. He seems to enjoy the company of everyone except the person that feeds him and changes his water
>>
>>3754225
Dang, must feel pretty bad.
Mine has never flared at me, not even when I first got him, except when I'm under the red blanket.
>>
>>3754230
He makes her seethe so much. He will swim up the the glass to say hi to me but when she shows her face he’ll flare at her. He’s such a chad, I already offered to adopt him
>>
>>3754110
I have considered this before
>>
>>3753921
Explain
>>
>>3754282
Nevermind i found the research.

I definitely have small mussels in my tank. However they will die inside drain pipes because those are regularly exposed to soap. What you dont wanna do is dump that shit in local waterways.

All that said, i wouldnt be too concerned. Mussels can be killed in a number of ways.
>>
>>3754246
Does she wear red lipstick
>>
>>3754224
My fish are fucking terrified of my mag float (which i quit using anyways when it scratched my glass). Never seen them freak so bad even during tank cleaning
>>
>>3754282
Moss ball shipments to the US and Canada in recent months came from the wild in Ukraine and a lot of them are infested with the highly invasive zebra mussels. They reproduce like crazy and damage ecosystems in lakes and rivers by just growing over everything and outcompeting native species. Their larvae are microscopic and free swimming, so it can easily happen that you flush them down during a water change. If they manage to cling to your pipes and become sedentary, more and more can amass and clog it.
>>
>>3754293
Slap a little drainio down all your pipes and that should be buhbye mussels
>>
File: IMG_20210406_234311-1.jpg (136 KB, 750x1000)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
love mah shrimp
>>
File: IMG_20210406_234512-2.jpg (226 KB, 886x1000)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
>>
>>3754293
Well don't flush aquarium water down the pipes then.
>>
>>3750311
I have a 240g and I think it is too small for my 13 year old pleco.
>>
>>3750347
Mine does that in my 240g. At least my tank is at least twice as deep and 3 times longer.
>>
File: DSC01005.jpg (617 KB, 1920x1080)
617 KB
617 KB JPG
I've set up my old tank that I had tore down years ago. It's been going for 5 months now & growing plants (+ an army of ramshorns) with no problems. What should I stock it with, /aq/?

>37 gallons.
>pH of 8
>250ppm gkh
>240ppm alkalinity
>Sponge filter rated for 40 gallons
[spoiler]Yes I know the blue gravel is nasty. I set it up when everything was locked down so I had to re-use the old gravel I bought back in 2013.[spoiler]
>>
>>3750940
20-30 gallons would be easier. Nano reef tanks just have to be monitored closer. Salt water tanks are easier than people led you to believe here. I love the variety of creatures that appear over time that come hitch hiking on things you buy over time. It will take about 6 months to get dialed in but after this it will be smooth sailing. Do not let people scare you away from taking the salt pill. You will be very happy you did.
>>
>>3750973
Thanks for the advice! I've been looking into pico reef aquariums after checking out coralfish12g; dude has definitely become some weird youtuber sensationalist, but his early stuff is pretty solid, thanks for the recommendation. BRS' stuff has also definitely been great!

>>3751073
What the hell happened to live rock? What a tragedy, that stuff was literal gold when it came to setting up a tank, the new stuff looks like trash, fuck. Better for the environment, but still a bite, damn. I think I'm going to forego fish for the time being, price constraints, and living constraints, and go with as small a tank as is feasible, and see how that goes. Gonna probably be throwing a good bit of money down the drain still tho, that's just how this hobby is to some extent. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>3754369
Thank you! I just came back to check on the thread, what good timing. I was taking care of multiple salt and brackish water aquariums for my last job, so I know it's easier than people say, but I haven't ever done a reef build with inverts or corals on my own. My family had one growing up, but this'll be my first try on my own. I think I'm gonna actually go really small-scale, maybe 5 gallons or less even, and just focus on corals, get back into the swing of things and do more research before I (move apartments) upscale
>>
File: otik.jpg (46 KB, 800x600)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>3749019

Here's something i have learned about ottos from my years owning them. Most are wild caught which poses a problem for identification given there are two variations of ottos that won't breed as far as I know but look nearly identical. Otocinclus vittatus and Otocinclus vestitus.

This paired with the fact that you would need to run a heavily planted 40 breeder with like 10 ottos in order to max your chances of getting enough males and females of the same variant in order to breed.

I love the things tho, when I move in November, this is the first thing im going to do.
>>
File: newlight.jpg (25 KB, 640x480)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>3750166

In theory but it depends on what you consider nice.

I would just do what this guy did, except use black plastic for the bar, black airline tubing, and make two plastic "trim" pieces that cover the front, back, and sides of the setup so you don't actually see the airline tube but it can drip out the bottom.

Then I would mount it like people mount Kessle lights from the cieling, Pic related
>>
>>3751073
You explained it better than I did. Well done. I disagree with your live rock statement though. No longer can we get live rock from Fiji or other cool places but most good local fish stores have there sumps filled with live rock you can buy. It may not have Christmas morning excitement that getting that Fiji rock and waiting a few weeks to see what grows but the LFS rock still does it amazing job of filtering the water.
>>
>>3753740

my scuds are doing battle with my cherry reds and, unless im missing it, I don't think any of my babies survived because of competition.
>>
>>3751262
I like it offset like. Nice tank. How many gallons and what are you putting in it?
>>
>>3754323
easier said than done

It's like my only option to syphon it down the toilet. Then again, I don't fuck with moss balls because im not a retard.
>>
>>3752323
Heavily planted and light load is your key. Once a tank is balanced it is pretty easy. New tanks can take a while to get dialed in and that frustrates anons and makes them quit to soon. Then they come here pissed off and spouting it is hard and lots of water changes. It amazes me how there is only a few people who do salt in these threads. I think it is easier if you stay away from hard corals.
>>
>>3752415
Zoomers have no patience or experience in cycling a tank properly. So when they fail by rushing everything to get pics for their gram they assume it was because of water changes. In every thread we see the same comments from new people cycling their tanks with 3 snails and maybe a pinch of food for a month. Next we get to see all the pictures of fish swimming funny, hiding, bacteria, or parasites. 7/10 of the anons will then admit to their not very good cycling of just lack of knowledge on doing it properly because this is just an anonymous board and finding an answer to help the fish is all that matters. Then you have 2 of the 10 anons who are turbo autistics that think they are perfect and it can’t be because of something they did not do correctly and finally 1 out of the 10 will truly have something out of the ordinary not related to getting his tank balanced.
>>
>>3754407
It's 75gal
Right now the plan is "Roughly South America Kinda"
Left side will be river rocks and the driftwood with a couple different Amazon swords about, narrow leaf chain swords and star grass poking out between the rocks
Jungle val in sand on the very right side with maybe some micro swords spread about

A bunch of other plants too like cabomba and telanthera about
for fish I want marble hatchets, green fire tetras, neon tetras, my bolivian ram, and some kind of centerpiece friend

Granted its all an idea in my head and a doodle in a notepad atm
>>
Yes it is working as intended and after long thought it might solve a problem I have low oxygen in my water. I believe only the top 1-2 inches of water will aerate naturally without bubbles. You need to make sure you get these 1-2 inches of water circulating a lot throughout entire tank to make sure it is oxygenated enough for all the fish swimming about. Spray bars like in the picture if not positioned to circulate these top 2inches (maybe pointed slightly down and 3-4 inches below the water level of tank) will not aerate the tank properly. The part you circled spitting water should be spitting bubbles too. It is a Venturi pump. If it is not loosen the screw cap on the air intake line till you get desired bubbles. Water levels in tanks fluctuate with our laziness to fill them up due to evaporation. Another place a few inches below spray to aerate water is excellent in my opinion.
>>
Could I just use aged organic soil as a substrate for Kuhlis?
Strained and washed multiple times after soaking to rid it of as much nutrients as would be appropriate for a fish tank, not a potted plant.
Ideally going for a murky river with dead leaves and shit on the bottom, not too fussed if I have to clean the filter more often as a result of their foraging and kicking up of substrate.
>>
>>3754405
I don't like scuds in a shromp tank. They seem to reduce both success rates for moulting and recruitment for babies.
>>
>>3752888
You can do this without a new tank. You will need help because time will be a factor. First is to prep everything. I like to use 5 gallon bucks with trash bags liners. Try to get non scented, but buddy gave me lots of free fish in scented bags no problem. The importance of the trash bags is to provide a fluid soft lid as opposed to just a bucket with the water sloshing around. You will want to drain the tank of all water and remove everything you can. The stairs will not be fun. Make it as light as you can, buy lots of 5gal buckets. Plan it out and act fast efficiently.
>>
>>3752893
Nice picture. Need more salt anons.
>>
>Remove 90% of floating canopy
>5 minutes after fish stop freaking out over THE CLAW they're all swimming around way more actively
Why they do this? More light means more active? I could burn the shit out those floaters and the fish would still be in 50% sedentary mode.
>>
>>3754574
Yup. Depending on how big the tank is, remove as much of the substrate as you can as it'll still hold a good chunk of water.
Hold the tank on the bottom corners, don't fucking flex the tank in any other axis.
You can buy little 12v/5v air pumps specifically for redundancy/moving purposes.
Be mindful of ammonia buildup.
>>
>>3754382
You can do 5 gallons. You have a past love and may be knowledge. It is not hard if you stay away from stony corals. I had problems with 2–3 gallon nano cubes that were fully in closed with over heating. Most the new tanks I see do not repeat this process
>>
File: FB_IMG_1617936841735.jpg (41 KB, 500x740)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>3748932
>Retarded shit for brains nearly kills fish for attention on the internet.

Thoughts?
>>
>>3754609
>American soldier
>does something unreasonably retarded and endangers another living things life for no good reason
This is expected.
>>
>>3754465
Sounds perfect. You have done a great job planning. What kind of lights?
>>
>>3754609
Incredibly based
>>
>>3754609
That betta was a goddamn patriot. Go take a bath you unwashed hippy
>>
>>3754609
He did for likes on the gram he is a shit. If he did this for his own mental well being because unfortunately he was born into a shitty life I do not blame him. We are paying him with our tax dollars to kill people but the $10 betta that he brings along can’t die? I wish I could had a fish while i was in the military. And I had it safe working in the engine room. Army and marines get benefit of getting shot at and seeing their buds die.
>>
>>3754636
All this while we have to act as world police for all you fucks. You hate us until you need us.
>>
>>3754638
You guys are so deluded to think that.
>>
>>3754638
>Literally arm both sides of a war just so you can 'step in' when it gets heated and steal oil from both of them
>Using money that is literally taking the food out of its own citizens mouths
Kek
>>
>>3754646
>muh oil
Get some new material lmao, it isn't 2003 anymore
>>
>>3754645
I can understand how you see it that way. I would love to argue right now but I need do research again because I have forgotten all the reasons and want to have references for reasons. I hope to have a pleasant discussion in the future.
>>
>>3754670
Elaborate with references.
>>
>>3754646
the bush administration called, they want their talking points back

aquarium general, talk about saltwater or bubbles or something
>>
>>3754404
The LFS rocks are likely still manmade/mined rock that are extremely dense compared to natural reef rocks. Not that long like maybe 3 years ago you could have bought dried real rocks like pukani and Fiji and those were very porous and had good filtration capabilities comparable to actual live rock when seeded properly. These days you have literal concrete painted purple and those have trash filtration value. Biodiversity was an appeal of live rock but also a pain, you can still technically buy "real" live rock from Florida that is aquacultured and get all that life but it's still mined rock from land which is better than concrete rocks at least but nowhere near as good as actual reef rocks
>>
>>3754680
Nah, you should join the marines instead. Please, be my guest. I dont wanna die in Iran so, you can die for me and my freedom to be oppressed over the common cold.
>>
>>3754373
>>3754404
>>3754712
Yeah I have some real reef rock (both Pukani and Fiji) that's been in various systems for the past decade or so. It's amazing how light Pukani is for the volume it takes up. It'd take an absurd amount of money for me to ever part with them.

A big downside with the new man-made or even aquacultured rocks is that since they are so inferior with filtration, biodiversity, and stability, it makes barebottom tanks considerably harder. It's something that hasn't really been discussed much in the community. BRS recently finished up a year-long study on barebottom vs. sand and concluded barebottom is trickier than they thought it'd be, but they didn't make the connection that it may be because of their man-made rock; their personal tanks had far more success with barebottom in years' past vs their new research tanks because they had real live rock previously.
>>
>>3752375
>>3752364
>>3752343
>>3752363
Yeah true, wasn't suggesting I never understand the changes, particularly with large fish or those with no plants . But it seems like in many home aquarium setups, people could get away with next to no changes if they just got floating plants and stocked less.
>>
>>3754898
I've always wondered but never bothered to research, how much converting media you would need to just theoretically forego water changes (solely due to NH3/NO2-/NO3-) altogether as you're converting in excess(?), and then taking out plants as they grow too large.
Small tanks (cramped living situations aside) could just run a plastic 200L sump.
It seems to me that most criticism is about having a too-small filter/conversion and there doesn't seem to be any examples of someone having a sump etc that's too big, but always about filters that are too big and not just because of excessive flow for fishies.
>>
>>3754911
Probably spacial constraints, it being an eyesore and the costs to add a sump and associated media. K1/2/3 media has been going up in price it feels. Might be a covid thing.
>>
>>3753833
The amani isnt in the picture
>>
File: 20210408_084734.jpg (3.1 MB, 4032x1920)
3.1 MB
3.1 MB JPG
>>3754919
>>3754919
>>
>>3754911
I havent done a water change in weeks and my nitrate levels are falling. Heavily planted with two filters and a pothos plant in one of them (hob)
>>
dubs gets to name my new betta
>>
>>3754944
hah
Laurence Fishburne
>>
>>3754944
>>3754944
Sneed
>>
>>3754944
Sneed
>>
>>3754948
Sneed
>>
>>3754944
Sneed
>>
>>3754966
Upon closer examination, one can see how Bikini Bottom is an allegory for the destiny of Faustian europe. Squidward clearly represents the Apollonian aryan man, stern, cultured, full of the creative Hyperborean soul and solar aristocratic character, and yet there is a tragic aspect to his character, in that his spiritual and creative passions are given no place in the degenrate modernistic kosher bacchanale that is modern (((Krabs)))-run Bikini Bottom. Spongebob represents the Dionysian aspect of aryan culture- he is the unawakened gentile, who has succumbed to cultural marxist brainwashing. Always maintaining a cheerful, carefree demeanor, and yet fawning and servile before the semitic crustacean power structure. Patrick represents the introduction of the primitive negroidic blood into the formerly pure white ethnos- He is an utter buffoon and unproductive anti-social drain on society, and yet the good goy Spongebob has been conditioned to accept his friendship, unaware of how his own way of life is gradually succumbing to the cthonic, subterranean negroid elements. As I’m sure we’re all well aware, Mr. Krabs represents the eternal merchant himself, as while not only is he a filthy money-grubber, it is shown, in season 1 episode 12, that he is pushing race-mixing upon the racially unaware Spongebob by trying to set him up on a date with his ball busting yenta whale daughter Pearl. Clearly, this show was ahead of its time.
>>
File: 20201116_142026.webm (2.32 MB, 640x360)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB WEBM
>>3754969
got one of these for The Snorks?
>>
>>3754969
>semitic crustacean power structure
Decent pasta
>>
>>3754638
Who the fuck is 'we'? America? Id rather my shitty country burn to ash than accept any backhanded aid from your shittier country.

Talk about fish now, retard.
>>
File: 843d2538c08a6441.jpg (309 KB, 1200x1200)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>bubles
heh
>>
>>3754586
Could be that the shadows spook them >>3754898
>>
>>3754898
Most people have over stocked tanks with little sand plants anon.
They can't even keep nitrate under 20.
>>
>>3754636
Ofc he did it for likes are you retarded. He's in the millitary. They're all attention seeking, empathy lacking empty headed gorillas.
>>
>>3752529
That was certainly taken from the wild.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>3755401
How do you know? Genuine question
>>
>>3755401
>>3755437
He doesn't. Duncans like that one are common and not particularly difficult to frag.
>>
>>3754926
Is this supposed to be the amano? It's a ghost shrimp.
>>
>>3755457
Idk either way it was pregnant
>>
>>3755479
Either way it is a homosexual
>>
File: IMG_20210409_104441_919.jpg (481 KB, 1080x1920)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
Maris
>>
>work at petco
>tanks are small, and overstocked with disease ridden dying tetras and corys.
>main buyers are parents trying to set up something with their kids.
>did you cycle the tank?
>our water is fine, how many goldfish can we fit into this five gallon?
>kids constantly tapping on glass looking for "nemo"
>Bettas have it even worse, sitting in tiny cups withering away
>co-worker shares pictures of her "betta tank"
>at most 2.5 gal, neon blue gravel, spongebob decor
>fish is barely moving, has noticable fin-rot
>doesn't change water because it "stresses him out"
>"oh 5 gallons is way too big for a betta, they like closed spaces"
>what few plants we have are dead within a week

I'm not even a big fish guy, but this shit is getting to me
>>
>>3754798
Biodiversity in reef tanks is somethings that's not talked about enough. As more and more studies on corals are being done it's conformed that they actually consume specific bacteria along side their photosynthesis with zooxanthellae. There are also many unknown microbes that directly compete with nuisance algae for resources and may also feed coral that are highly beneficial in an artificial habitat like a reef tank. A lot new tanks now don't have that bacterial biodiversity and struggle to stabilize, so many people are getting problems with dinos, crazy nutrient instability, cloudy water from bad bacteria, and corals simply not doing well from using all dry setups with only bottled bacteria. The SW hobby is still in it's discovery phase where there are so many unknowns that can help dial in a foolproof system. It's a more exciting hobby compared to fresh where people dialed down most obstacles decades ago.
>>
File: images (23).jpg (44 KB, 678x452)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
How the fuck do I kill staghorn algae in my betta tank? I've already tried
>adding tons of snails
>double dosing flourish excel
>treating with peroxide
>applying both of the above directly onto the algae
>doing a blackout and thereafter only letting the tank get 6 hours of light
Nothing fucking works. The tank is completely algae free except for this garbage.
>>
>>3755899
I feel for you. I swear I would hatecrime someone after a week of working there.
>>
>>3748932
Where does dump #2 of marbled crayfish go? The river in the middle of town or the flooded wetland marsh that connects to many creeks in the area
>>
>>3756011
Marsh, don't kill the crayfish in a river
>>
There’s a floating plant that’s supposed to be good for fish and outcompetes algae. Is it guppy grass? Or is there something better?
>>
>>3756052
The marsh has fish in it is that fine or should I wait for a time of year the fish aren’t in the marsh because the water is too low or maybe dump them in another fish less body of water
>>
>>3756068
Where did you get them in the first place? What did you mean by dump #2?
>>
>>3756062
Hornwort grows fast as fuck
>>
>>3756101
My marbled crayfishes second litter I dumped the first one in a pond
>>
>>3756175
I'm gonna refrain from calling you names but you're dumping an invasive species in public waterways, fucking up the local ecosystem. Why can't you just raise the babies or give them away to someone?
>>
>>3756175
doing gods work anon
go bust the muricas
go down in a blaze white man
Scorched Earth Tactics
leave nothing behind for the negroid to leech of
make them live in the rotten bare land they deserve
>>
File: img.jpg (1.49 MB, 5312x2988)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
kuhli
>>
>>3756185
Because when I was a kid there used to be plenty of native crayfish in the area you could find tons under any rock in any creek and it was great fun now you hardly ever see them around so I’m repopulating my the province with a fast multiplying species so in a few years these kids can experience that fun again
>>
File: EmkEqLSWEAIxHpN.jpg (35 KB, 679x500)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>3756247
anon unless those are native and you're working with a conservation group you're probably just fucking up the ecosystem more. stop it.
>>
>>3756254
They aren’t a native crayfish species they’re better more tolerant to polluted water and they reproduce asexually and one single marbled crayfish can populate a large area in a short amount of time
>>
>>3756246
what a strange creature
>>
File: 1508205304382.png (137 KB, 316x306)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>3756259
holy shit that's a horrible idea, are you braindead? you're deliberately introducing an invasive species into your local evosystem
>>
>>3756297
ecosystem*
>>
>>3756247
>no more native crayfish
>let me fuck up the ecosystem so there's never any native crayfish again
>great fun
>>
Im sick of it. My platies keep eating the pellets meant for the cories even right after I feed them flakes or chase them off with a bamboo skewer. Greedy fucks.
>>
>>3756325
Oh no we’re gonna lose 50 mud brown Appalachian brook crayfish on the tip of their northern range and replace them with cool marbled Crays holy shit world ending stuff
>>
whats a good aesthetic stratum for a basicbitch 10 gallon guppy tank?
>>
>>3756333
when you have disobedient livebearers the solution is to take them out of the tank in a bag and shake it violently, slap it on the wall and scream at them. You might also try mime eating them through the bag, just put the bag with fish inside of your mouth so it feels like you're eating this.

Do it in full view of the rest of the livebearers and do it right as you see the behavior so they can develop an association and a fear of god (you). fish atheism can destroy a livebearer colony quicker than ich.
>>
File: 1616725561728.jpg (15 KB, 318x228)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>3756349
Ah I see. You're an NPC with no idea what you're talking about. Here's a final (You).
>>
>>3756136
Based. Good suggestion friend
>>
>>3756349
I don't even need to look it up to know the marbled ones won't be edible and will fuck up whatever biome you dump them in. Fuck you, especially if you posted that monkey pic. I would absolutely heem a faggot manlet animal abuser ecosystem polluter like you
>>
>>3756368
Marbled crays are edible many people raise them for food in farms because they are better for that then any other kind of crayfish
>>
File: IMG_20210410_162644[1].jpg (305 KB, 1850x832)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>Dude, it's right behind you
>Ha ha very funnny
>Whoa it's right behind him
>>
>>3756373
Probably taste like shit but that's besides the point. They outcompete local fish and other species and wipe them out, if you care about nature and marine life you shouldn't do it
>>
>>3756354
Oh it's the sperg who beats his fish
>>
File: corys4.png (1.39 MB, 1214x737)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
My four peppered corys looking for food together
>>
>>3756373
Probably only in shitholes where they'll literally breed anything for food no matter the cost or future consequences.
>>
>>3755905
Its an expensive, dirty, stinky hobby and the tanks tend to look depressing. But they are cool. It just isnt for me.
>>
>>3756349
The marbled ones (probably an insanely rare mutation of a species from georgia) dont reproduce that much faster than normal species. They are also all genetically identical which means they probably will all die at once when some disease takes a liking to them. Anyways the are triploid freaks of nature, insanely unique, and definitely should NOT be in wild waterways.
>>
File: Goldfish_Ryukin.jpg (502 KB, 1298x1336)
502 KB
502 KB JPG
Are fantailed/ryukin goldfish less nippy then regular goldfish? Also would goldfish eat betta fish eggs if given the choice?
>>
File: IMG_20210410_103556.jpg (1.33 MB, 4000x3000)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB JPG
>new shrimp bros in /aq/
time to dump new shots to celebrate
>>
File: IMG_20210410_103401.jpg (2.79 MB, 4000x3000)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>3756662
>>
File: IMG_20210410_104606.jpg (1.43 MB, 4000x3000)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>3756663
>>
File: IMG_20210410_103813.jpg (1.66 MB, 4000x3000)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
>>3756664
>>
File: IMG_20210410_103932.jpg (1.38 MB, 4000x3000)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>3756666
>>
File: IMG_20210410_103213.jpg (3.42 MB, 4000x3000)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
>>3756667
>>
>>3756639
Also will goldfish fuck with a bubble nest?
>>
>>3756639
God that thing looks disgusting.
>>
>>3756666
These look pretty cool
What type are they?
I've got some yellow neocaridinas posted here >>3751171
not quite as interesting as the ice blue and white
>>
File: IMG_20210205_105537.jpg (2.23 MB, 4000x3000)
2.23 MB
2.23 MB JPG
>>3756688
those ones specifically are blue steels
>>
>>3756702
these are really nice
what parameters do you keep them in and what size tank??
>>
File: IMG_20200228_144522.jpg (3.22 MB, 3991x2777)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>3756705
I never really use anything other then 10-15 gallon tanks, use RO/DI with Gh+ shrimp salts to get a 120-150tds and use a buffered substrate. have 4 tanks running basically identically and have had 0 problems
>>
>>3756639
You better not be keeping goldfish and bettas together
>>
>>3756711
Pretty neat shrimp bro
I would be interested in starting a tank like this but my tap water is hard and alkaline.. I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of money on a RO system or gallons upon gallons of distilled water.
The neocaridinas are easy for me because they accept the tap water nicely. I have roughly 7.8pH, Gh ~12 and KH just under 10, ok for the yellow ones thankfully, but a nightmare for the caridinas i think
>>
>>3756712
Not yet.
>>
>>3756702
Insanely neat. I want
>>
File: sketch-1618070635473.png (2.91 MB, 1735x1080)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB PNG
Some gay algae broke out on my front moss ball and spread over the tank. Limited light for a few days and just cleaned up everything I could. The moss ball is cleaned up and in a quarantine for now.
Still have neighbors corys cause he's still not back yet, so I'm pretty tempted to just bag em and break into his place to get them in his tank.
Two of the smaller plants melted completely so they're removed. My 5 year old sword fern looks like shit and just refuses to get healthy despite ferts and co2 so I might remove it this week.
Betta seems rather happy and doesn't flare up at my red pillow anymore. Been eating well and playing around with the duckweed here and there, but I removed the floating hide I had for him cause he never used it.
Bout it, as usual I'll post an update next weekend or if anything neat happens during the week. See ya.
>>
File: sketch-1618071420025.png (3.41 MB, 1789x1080)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB PNG
>>3756861
Before photo
>>
How can I make sure the zucchini doesn't float when I want to feed it my snails and shrimps?
>>
>>3756899
put a cocktail stick through it and put that into the substrate
>>
>>3756899
yeah, thats an annoying issue with veggies - personally im using surgical tweezers same way as this anon suggested --> >>3756932
i also have a special veggie suction cup with a plastic clamp, but it was mostly a waste of money because it can only hold lettuce or very thin slices, and thin slices rot quickly and break off/apart.
dont forget to blanch your zucchni
>>
File: IMG_20210409_184943-1.jpg (157 KB, 750x1000)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>3756711
>>3756702
cool shrimp brah

I'm hoping to get my hands on some tapwater-conditioned caridina's some day, there's a Dutch lady selling em.
>>
What can I do reasonably with a 5 gallon tank?
I was thinking some shrimp and maybe a betta + plants. Any recommendations?
>>
>>3756958
Wat
>>
>>3757220
Bettas will eat the shrimps. I have a bunch of shrimps and 5 ember tetras in a spec V and it works well
>>3756958
What do you mean tap water conditioned shrimp?
>>
>>3757233
I've read that tetras also eat the shrimp, is that true?
>>
>>3757233
I was going to use Amanos, I figured if they are bigger the betta might leave it alone.
>>
>>3757233
>Bettas will eat the shrimps.

No.
>>
>>3757241
Ive never seen embers terras eat any of my shrimp or baby shrimp. I have lots of scuds and they dont even nip at baby suds. I ordered a trap to reduce my scud population until i get a better home for the shramps
>>3757243
I assumed you meant cherries/neos which bettas seem to like eating. I guess the do well with amanos from what ive heard. I had a betta murder the cherries i put with him as a test :(
>>3757248
See above
>>
File: 20210411_111550.jpg (2.64 MB, 4032x1920)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
My red ludwigia split the other day or u think it did, i found this floating yesterday so i planted it
What do you guys do with your extra plants or cuttings?
>>
>>3755899
It's depressing. I go out of my way to NEVER EVER buy from there. They give horrible advice.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.