[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1597936226451.jpg (52 KB, 659x606)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/23/global-freshwater-fish-populations-at-risk-of-extinction-study-finds

>Freshwater fish are under threat, with as many as a third of global populations in danger of extinction, according to an assessment.

Populations of migratory freshwater fish have plummeted by 76% since 1970, and large fish – those weighing more than 30kg – have been all but wiped out in most rivers. The global population of megafish down by 94%, and 16 freshwater fish species were declared extinct last year.

The report by 16 global conservation organisations, called The World’s Forgotten Fishes (https://wwfint.awsassets.panda.org/downloads/world_s_forgotten_fishes__report_final__1.pdf), said that global populations of freshwater fish were in freefall. The problems are diverse and include pollution, overfishing and destructive fishing practices, the introduction of invasive non-native species, climate change and the disruption of river ecologies. Most of the world’s rivers are now dammed in parts, have water extracted for irrigation or have their natural flows disrupted, making life difficult for freshwater fish.

The poor state of UK rivers means few support as many fish as would be possible if they were better protected, according to the WWF, one of the groups behind Tuesday’s report. Environment Agency data showed last year that no English rivers met the highest chemical standards, and only 15% of UK rivers were rated as having good ecological status. Farm pollution and sewage outflows were among the leading causes of damage. Dave Tickner, WWF’s chief adviser on freshwater, said:

>“Freshwater habitats are some of the most vibrant on earth, but they are in catastrophic decline. The UK is no exception – wildlife struggles to survive, let alone thrive, in our polluted waters.”
>>
>europe

don't care, you guys already destroyed all your land just for wealth and are trying to destroy the world with multinationals.
>>
>>3695896
brainlet detected
>>
just stop dumping shit into the rivers lmao like how can pollution be real just stop runoff haha
>>
File: 1571449184290.jpg (1.17 MB, 1920x1920)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>you were born just in time to witness the extinction of all plant and animal life
>>
>>3695896
Apezilian detected. Stop burning the Amazon.
>>
>>3695923
For real all we gotta do is stop manufacturing shit. I don't know how doing nothing got made up to be something impossible. Its actually harder to keep making cars and funko pops and shit then it is to just not make them.
>>
>>3695896
>t. am*rican
>>
>>3695923
It's not just runoff, it's also damming, channeling, draining, introduction of invasive species, land erosion, acid rain and overfishing
>>
>>3695937
Literal apezilian that lives in the Amazon here.
We're trying but you fucking first worlders keeping buying our high grade wood, the chinks keeping consuming anormal quantities of onions, and the chinks just keep building mines here.
>>
>>3695948
“Onions” was meant to be onions. Sorry
>>
What why the fuck i can't write S o j a
>>
>>3695945
Don't forget destroying riparian habitats, especially forests.
>>
>>3695944
Lol you don’t even begin to understand the vast stretches of untouched land we still have.
>here at globo-merica we’re better than you, and we know it!
>>
>>3695961
This.
>t. took a road trip across the country, most of it is untouched, unmanaged land.
>>
>>3695962
I’ve been wanting to road trip this summer, what route did you take? Across the middle or did you go across the southern or northern bits?
>>
>>3695924
>too late to explore the world
>too early to explore the stars
>just in time to see all life die
Aren't we lucky
>>
>>3695948
Hang in there, monkeybro.
>>
>>3695968
We get to live in the most interesting and consequential era of human history and witness the most terrible destruction our species has ever committed as well as the greatest things we'll ever achieve. It's not that bad as long as you accept right away that you're going to die.
>>
>>3695981
Oh no getting stabbed by looters and climate refugees as my life was about to start sounds fun bro thanks for the oppurtunity
>>
>>3696064
It's going to happen whether you want it to or not, might as well look for silver linings.
>>
>>3695896
Yeah unlike americans who just go to other countries to destroy them
>>
>>3695919
consoomer detect
>>3695937
Stop buying iphones
>>3695961
No my imc is 25
>>3696096
America is Europe 2.0 and China is Europe 3.0.

You guys can't even go into recycle https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/03/13/702501726/where-will-your-plastic-trash-go-now-that-china-doesnt-want-it#:~:text=A%20lot%20of%20the%20plastic,thus%20not%20profitable%20to%20import.
>>
File: sadeel.jpg (63 KB, 320x480)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
As Europe struggles to bring its freshwater eels back from extinction while combating one of the biggest endangered animal smuggling operations globally, America currently liquidates its own eel populations to feed China and get that sweet yellow money. It really is Europe 2.0.
>>
>>3695889
So basically we should buy more aquarium fish so that there’s more demand to breed these genetic dead ends
>>
>>3696368
>these genetic dead ends
Morons really love this expression
>>
>>3696368
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>3695889
Everything is at risk of extinction except vermin and jellyfish. We all know this.
>>
>>3696572
>This expression offends me therefore people who use it are morons
>>
>>3695966
across the middle via route 66 and then north to San Francisco. The coasts are nice when there aren't cities.
The small towns were generally pleasant, sometimes incredibly pleasant, the less populated, the better. People were genuinely very nice and relaxed and the small talk was enjoyable. Also sometimes the scenery in the countryside would just take your breath away.

Whenever I ended up in a city it was overpriced and everyone is just pissed off and on edge and in a hurry. My least favorite place by far was LA, with San Francisco at a close second. There is a serious homeless problem in both those places and you have to be careful about being robbed. I honestly wish I had avoided the cities and just stayed in a nearby small town. Cities are only for consumers. They do have decent food. But next trip I'd rather cook more.

I fucking hate cities.

Do yourself a favor. Book hotels in small towns. The most populated place place that I still found pleasant was Monterey in California. And even that place had a couple shitheads.
>>
>>3695948
then stop selling us wood, simple as.
>>
>>3696359
Post reading material
>>
>>3695981
There's nothing interesting about it.
What interests me is seeing biodiversity, not shitty depauperated land.
>>
>>3697416
So you are interested in consooming things that already exist to entertain you instead of being interested in complex processes that affect what you like. Right.
>>
>>3695924
wasn't there a recent discovery (past 2 years) that heavily implies the majority of animal life on Earth actually exists in deep underground biomes? It's nothing fancy, crabs, blind fish, etc. But still, life is a lot hardier than a lot of people realize, I think we'll probably have life in some form up until the Earth is consumed by the sun.
>>
>>3697468
The "things that already exist" do so via extremely complex and mostly undiscovered natural processes.
There is nothing complex or fascinating about people replacing woodland with cement.
>>
So you're saying I shouldn't have pinched that fat log into the creek last weekend?
>>
Sad to hear about this.
>>
>>3697505
If you think there is absolutely nothing interesting or complex about global extinctions then you are an absolutely retarded. And the fact that you think it’s just replacing woodland with cement really drives home how retarded and uneducated you are. Something making you upset doesn’t automatically make something universally uninteresting.
>>
>>3697710
The vast majority of population declines in plants and animals are caused by habitat destruction.
Whether habitats are being destroyed by urban development, invasive species or large scale agriculture it's always the same pattern repeating every year throughout the world.
It's a phenomenon that has been studied and observed and can be noticed by the common people too.
Human impact on the environment is repetitive, predictable and dull.
>>
>>3695889
OP you don't have to keep making these news threads I already know how fucked everything is I'd rather not be reminded of it
>>
>>3697713
There are a lot more to the processes that underlie the extinctions (and consequential population increases in some species) including mere habitat destruction. There is a reason there is constant ongoing research. Of course, those scientists who research the mechanisms behind population flux are boring people who do boring uncomplex predictable research that doesn't need to be looked into other than the already known 'habitat gone therefore animals gone'. Absolutely nothing going on beyond that.
>>
File: 1567884511686.jpg (216 KB, 2048x2048)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
I can't go on like this. Every day just bad news piling up. How can I change something if I'm only one man?
>>
>>3695889
>then demanding "green energy" that could only be fulfilled from the burning of forests to turn them into farmland for said "green energy"

Go full nuclear is the only answer to save the biomes.
>>
>>3698298
>burning of forests to turn them into farmland for said "green energy"
What?
>>
>>3698265
Buy land and protect it. It's the only way.
And if they try to take it from you at least die fighting.
>>
>>3695889
good I fucking hate fresh water fish. Always brushing up against my leg n shit. fuck you slimey fish fucks.
>>
>>3698397
stay on land then
>>
>>3698398
Nice try Tiktaalik, but I am going to undo the heresy you've committed.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.