[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

My Girlfriend and I have an 8 month old GSP who has always had some aggression problems since he was little. For example when he was eating food and we went near him he'd growl. As a result we fed him in his kennel. He would guard things he deemed valuable too like some bones, so we took them away. If we tried to move him (to get into kennel) when he was sleeping on couch or floor he would also become aggressive. When getting in this mood he usually would growl and or nip at us. He has drawn blood from the both of us and I'm not sure what to do. We both don't want to give him up or end up having to put him down later for biting someone else. As of so far he hasnt shown aggression to strangers. At first we thought this aggression was because we got him early and his litter/mom didnt put him in his place enough. We believed he thought he was better than us and entitled to "his" things. So when he'd get angry and bite at us we'd grab him by collar or scruff and pin him down and scold him so he couldnt bite us until he stopped. We also had a long cord on him in the house to grab. It seems like once every week or two (not always drawing blood) he'll get aggressive and bite us. Just tonight he bit me for taking away a piece of plastic he found and was chewing on. Please help me frens, first post on /an
>>
>>3695530
Op here
As of recent we thought he was a defensive aggressive, so we'd back off when he'd give us a warning growl. Tonight he did not give me any verbal warning
>>
>>3695534
Any resources or advice will be greatly appreciated
>>
>>3695530
your foot, it's ass. that'll correct any canine problems.
>>
>>3695530
ive never heard of a gsp acting like that
i have no tips but you should probably seek professional help for this.
plz dont let the dog be harmed anon... gsp are my favorite breed
>>
>>3695556
We went to a trainer, and she also thought it was dominance issues. She told us we had to be much stricter with him so we were. She told us how to react when he was like this, but he just seems to meet aggression with aggression
>>
Just make him look while you prepare the food, problem should go away eventually when he understand you are the reason why its belly us getting filled up
>>
You literally, made it worse by reinforcing his aggression and catering to it, showing him that he feels good and safe when he keeps things to himself and you don't interfere. And now with your punishment you've confirmed his suspicions that you are an asshole and he needs to protect his shit from you. Dogs are unlike wolves - extremely stupid. They can not learn that it's your shit, not theirs. It's all just stuff. What they can learn is that when you take shit, good things happen. Or bad things happen, but then you are also a source of bad things and the dog either fears you and "respects" you (dogs are too stupid for actual respect) or hates you and gets put down.

You have to teach him that he feels even better when property is exchanged freely. Start by hand feeding, praising, and petting (introduce last) and go from there with exchange nonfood objects for food combined with petting and praising.

>>3696075
Dogs are too stupid for this.
>>
>>3696080
maybe your dog is too stupid for this
>>
>>3696152
We don't all own border collie/husky mixes that walk around opening doorknobs buddy
>>
>>3695554
>it doesn't
>well put it down then lol
this doesnt do anything for dogs it just means any dog with a retard owner has a 50% chance of dying
>>
>>3695847
Maybe he's just a real bad motherfucker.
>>
>>3695530
Get professional help. Resource guarding can be managed but its a long and painful process.
>>
>>3696155
it's amazing how much you information about a person you can get just by a single post like this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.