[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3836.png (1.29 MB, 824x1024)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB PNG
This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia classes. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>morphmarket.com
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

Old thread: >>3685449
>>
Does anyone know of any Northern Alligator Lizard/skink captive breeders? -Not- the southern alligator lizard/mexican lizard, but specifically the northern one.

I really want one and am going to spend a bit putting together a nice enclosure, and already have some equipment. (ubv set-up and working on the lid for the tank I have; also have a ten gallon to grow a young one out in) But here's the thing-I really don't want to catch one from the wild, even though it's legal in CA to own like one or two wild caught, and there is also so little info on the northern one's that I really would like to be able to talk to a legit breeder and ask questions.

If not I plan on catching a baby and have it be a learning experience, but I really don't want to take one from the wild if I can avoid it. I actually wanted to breed them, but I haven't been able to take the necessary steps to get there, so in the meantime I would like to keep one or two and learn about them while also filling that want for one as a pet, because they are so fucking cool man.
>>
>>3691710
i like how mushy they are when you squish them together
>>
>>3691948
Also the other reason I want a northern one vs a southern one, is because when the power cuts off in cally from the fires, I won't be as worried about the animals health if it gets a bit chillier. What little research they have done has shown that they are much more tolerable to those colder winter weathers, and it definitely seems that way, as when I was a kid I would still find them out and about unless it was like, below 50 F.
>>
>>3691967
If it's that big if an issue, why not get a generator
>>
File: 1486840263638.png (337 KB, 1144x888)
337 KB
337 KB PNG
Reminder that morph fags that breed sick animals are subhumans and deserve the noose.
>>
How many of you guys actually consider breeding in your future? I know some of you already do but is it something you'd like?
>>
>>3692124
It's alot of work and after my first go through I want to be much more prepared.
>>
>>3692124
I dont want to but NY is about to ban shipment of all animals because muh animal rights so I have no choice
>>
>>3692124
>How many of you guys actually consider breeding in your future?
Id like to. It'd be fun and maybe I'd make a buck or two
>>
>>3692124
Still giving the boas time to grow and branched out into Japanese rat snakes, which also need a few years. If a male Korean rat snake pops up at a good time I'll probably go that direction too.
At this point it's no different than having a bunch of pet snakes, but even so the space requirements are a handful. And I still haven't gotten everything I need set up - looking at 2023 for the first pairing at the earliest, and before then I need to build a rack for babies, set up some kind of climate controlled space for brumation (especially for the rat snakes) and build an incubator for the rat snake eggs.
It's a lot of work but I imagine it'll be rewarding. I might eat those words but it's a hobby I'm enjoying.
>>
>>3692126
What did you wish you knew before starting? Im thinking about starting in a couple years.

>>3692129
This shit is so fucking insane to me. I hate this fucking state. Bro If I want to bring something back PA is right fucking there. These laws make no sense. I used to love the state and the city but the animal laws are making me hate it. Zero concern for the actual animals just blanket bans and restrictions
>>3692148
Good for you man. Glad to hear it, and an interesting choice with the rat snakes
>>
>>3692154
Food and Room.

19 baby bearded dragons prob does not sound like alot to you if you think you are prepared.

OVER PREPARE
>>
>>3692154
May I remind you this is the state that had a 40 year ban on nunchakus because chuck Schumer saw return of the dragon and said "oh wow those things are much too dangerous to have in the hands of the public"

I cant wait to get out of here. I'm gone the moment unemployment dries up. I'll bleed them for as much as I can then leave once they cut me off
>>
>>3692129
Also "hey you want to ship from a reputable breeder?" Nah enjoy half dead animals at Petco and Petsmart haha whoops
>>
>>3692158
>May I remind you this is the state that had a 40 year ban on nunchakus because chuck Schumer saw return of the dragon and said "oh wow those things are much too dangerous to have in the hands of the public"
My sides are fucking gone
>>
>>3692155
oof. Having raised multiple baby rat snakes at a time it's enough of a handful handling their feeding. And they only need to eat one thing every several days.
The plan with the boas is not to pair the adults until i have everything ready to go to house and feed 30 babies (which is about double the expected litter for the 'dwarf' boas I am raising) and definitely not gonna have both my pairs of boas breed in the same year.
And the rat snakes are even more anxiety inducing since Japanese and Korean rat snakes are two of those species where the babies don't always eat till after their first winter. Which is nuts, and thankfully not always the case both in the wild or in captivity, but I know it's gonna fuck with my head having a tiny little baby that goes months between being born and its first meal.
>>
>>3692161
Switchblades got banned in dozens of states because of Westside Story.

Politicians are stupid people too.
>>
>>3692167
>Politicians are stupid
Yes
>Politicians are people
debatable
>>
>>3691710
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjdzTq6BJ3Q
>>
>>3692181
Do journalist.
>>
>>3692129
Does this include insects?
>>
>>3692187
>journalists are stupid
No, they are evil.
>journalists are people
Most certainly not.
>>
>>3692236
>>
You guys think a 40 gallon breeder is too small for an adult beardie? She's a bit of a runt, 12 or 13 inches. She's a rescue that was underfed
>>
>>3692249
Yes. It's not a space for excercise thing so much as a thermoregulatory thing. You can't get a 110 basking spot, a 90 warmer half, and a 75 cooler half, all in a 40gal. Gotta go 75 my dude.
>>
Does anyone have lab mouse breeding cages in stock? I'm about to make my own because everyone seems sold out.
>>
>>3691948
Not sure but they're pretty common, I wouldn't feel super bad about taking them from the wild if it's legal. I don't think they're interesting to most hobbyists since they have a dull color, aren't that interesting behaviorally and also musk worse than garter snakes so they don't get much attention in the breeder world.

>>3692124
I'll probably do it. My crestie keeps making horny noises and it's cruel to force a lizard to be incel. I won't be a gecko factory nor will I be a line breeding morphnigger though. I wouldn't breed anything that had super high care requirements or that produced more babies than I reasonably thought I could sell locally, and sell to people who would be reasonably well equipped to care for it.
>>
>>3692298
>it's cruel to force a lizard to be incel

This. Bruce is gonna stud out for all the locals.
>>
Dream snakes?

Basic as all hell but I really can't wait to get an Eastern Indigo. Such a beautiful animal in every regard except the bathroom situation
>>
>>3692301
Rubber Boa
>>
>>3692302
I wish they were more available, sadly my state bans them. I found one camping as a kid once, was the coolest thing I've ever seen in the wild here. He didn't even try to bite or act aggressive, just wiggled on me.
>>
>>3692298
>force
>incel
Idttwmwytim
>>
>>3692301
Easy Mode: What you said
Hard Mode: Eyelash viper
>>
>>3692301
unattainable dream - Texas indigo snake (can't get the license to keep them in TX without being some kind of institution)
attainable version - black tailed cribo (different locality, same species)

Those are the two least attainable species I care to own. The rest are pretty common if occasionally expensive or venomous (ETB, ATB, black tailed rattlesnake, various Asian colubrids)
>>
>>3692305
Maybe they're banned but snakes are more than easy enough to keep secretly
>>
>>3692309
unlike with humans if lizards leave their little glass box they die, i can leave my room and hunt for a mate without dying in my city.
>>
>>3692321
Speak for yourself.
>>
File: 20210219_190552.jpg (2.8 MB, 2420x3226)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB JPG
I'm working on converting my shite Whites Tree Frog tank into a bioactive, just got the plant light in the mail today that was recommended to me (a Jungle Dawn 34w LED, 22.5 inches). Is this thing gonna burn my frogs' eyes? Couple people told me it was fine but it seems insanely bright to me. The enclosure is 24x18x24 inches.
>>
>>3692327
I covered mine with a layer of window tint for this reason.
>>
>>3692301
More hoggers.
>>
File: Eui6ycYU4AAEgP-.jpg (471 KB, 2048x1365)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
This image is Jungian. It's fucking primordial.
>>
>is a tortoise keeper
>moderate to severe pyramidding on literally every one except the infants
>early signs of it on the infants
https://youtu.be/4PGdlRFtBXQ
>>
>>3692368
Gingers don't have souls.
>>
>>3692368
What causes that again? Just a lack of nutrition?
>>
>>3692371
Too much protein, not enough calcium and fiber.
>>
>>3692371
Bad nutrition is a more accurate thing to say. Assuming they are getting proper uv which it seems they are because he puts them outside
Their food is too high in protein and calories, too low in calcium and fiber
Probably not feeding them the correct grass and just way too much of it

Funny thing is the video is about him being surprised at how fast they are growing. Hes probably inadvertently power feeding them so the animal is growing faster than the shell can keep up from a high calorie diet
>>
>>3692124
I was gonna do it with my toadies this spring, but I don't think that I hibernated them hard enough. My mudroom only got down to ~50-60F. My plans are fucked aren't they
>>
>>3692369
Fight me irl, jew. We're the white males of of white people.
>>
File: 20200914_180728.jpg (1.56 MB, 2560x1920)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>3692401
I'll deck you you potato munching retard let's fucking go.
>>
>>3692404
>potato munching retard
Kek I do enjoy potatoes
>>
>>3692155
NINETEEN BABY BEARDIES IN THE SOAK AT HERP RANCH
TINY WIDE OPEN MOUTHS LOOKING TO EAT BUGS
>>
>>3692440
>>
>>3692349
fuck hoggers
>>
>>3692361
>unbothered. moisturized. happy. in my lane. focused. flourishing
>>
>>3692444
hogs are based suck my shithole.
>>
>>3692369
I used to be a ginger but thank god 3 year old me got his shit together and put a stop to it. Now my hair is black
According to eye witness accounts my head looked like a tiger as the black came in and the vile red was displaced.

But I know deep down a ginger lurks somewhere within me waiting to escape its why I'm terrified of having children with a white woman..what if she has ginger lurking somewhere within her
For now Its only asians for me because of that but the problem is I'm getting sick of them because all the girls I date look exactly the same
>>
>>3692468
It's not for the faint of heart
>>
File: 20210219_115537.jpg (1.91 MB, 4032x3024)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>3692444
They are America's sweethearts
Look at this paradoxical motherfucker
Consider the events that took place here
He climbed on a log, started digging a hole and made a tunnel which came out behind the log, climbed up on to the log again and then came to rest on top of his own butt while still half way in the hole
These niggas is enigmas
>>
Does anyone have any guesses as to how far a ball/royal python can fall and be safe?. i added a new extension to my vivarium as he was getting stressed from small space. and he's just fell a solid 3 foot to the ground. should i be worried because he seems normal. couldn't find much information elsewhere so plz spoonfeed me so he doesn't die.
>>
>>3692754
what a stupid snake lol
>>
>>3692754
Here’s a pic of the tank for context
>>
>>3692754
Do people think animals never fall down in the wild?
>>
>>3692767
just asking because to my knowledge royal's are mainly ground snakes and collapsing is worrying to me as a first time snake owner
>>
>>3692754
He'll be fine. If you want him to fall less, get a thicker branch, should be a little bit thicker around than he is. Also crisscross a few below it for added support. Basking shelves are also good, if you don't want to deal with the filled up airspace.
>>
Need help, fungus gnats went away for about two weeks, then came back even stronger.
I can’t replace the substrate in my tank, and I need a way to nuke these assholes or at least kill them without killing my snake and other plants.
Would Fungus Gnat Nematodes work? are they harmful to snakes?
>>
>>3692852
The nematodes should be safe. Do you not have enough isopods?
>>
>>3692852
nematodes or gnatrol both work well. Neither are harmful to the snake and gnatrol won't even hurt springtails or isopods, it's a custom-bred bacteria that only affects fly larvae. Never used the nematodes, but it's the other biological solution. No idea whether they'll harm other inverts, but I've used gnatrol to good effect.
>>
>>3692897
i do, i have springtails and dozens of white dwarfs. how do i encourage them to outcompete? just time?
>>3692918
thanks, ill buy that then
>>
File: images.png (8 KB, 209x241)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
after the texas winter storm, are the red ear sliders and snapping turtles at the park i walk by still alive?
>>
>>3692956
Yea probably. Snake discovery has a vid where they walked out onto a frozen lake and saw turtles moving around below.
>>
What's a good way to help a reptile get rid of some really bad stuck shed? Like its really really bad. I've been soaking for 20, and then trying to get some off of the worst parts. Its real bad though. Like its been there for so long theres just blood and constriction. Fuck I feel like a fucking absolute retard, but there isn't much I can do to change the past
>>
>>3693049
Where on the body? If it's toes they might already be fucked.
>>
>>3693051
It's all over. I've been working on the toes which arent a lost cause, but the tail was pretty bad. I spent an hour last night working in getting the bottom of the tail so that some amount of pressure would be relieved.
>>
>>3693054
Keep the animal extremely well-hydrated, get the humidity up in the enclosure as high as you can, and consider using olive oil next time you start physically removing skin. Just be sure to rinse all of the oil off before you put the animal back in the enclosure. How did you let this happen?
>>
>>3693054
>>3693049
What are you using? Cotton ball? also another trick I've learned is after soaking if you can get a little flap of the shed off, and pin that to the ground with a q-tip, the lizard will walk away, helping remove it in a more natural way because they are in control.
>>
>>3693049
What kind of lizard?
>>
>>3693064
Various tweezers to grab parts that are already up. Its so bad I don't think cotton balls or tweezers would cut it.
I don't want to pretend like any of this is ok. I just want to help her you guys
>>
>>3693095
Do the olive oil thing like other Anon said, make sure it's nice and moist. Next time don't let it get this bad, you could have taken care of it in the beginning and it would have been much easier.
Work at it for a couple of days, if not get in contact with a vet.
>>
>>3692754
>>3692780
ball pythons are semi-arboreal in the wild and have been directly observed raiding bird nests. Should be fine.
>>
>>3693189
this is also very true. Thank you so much. I will keep you guys updated
>>
>>3692956
as soon as it got too chilly for comfort, the lot of them went "pffft, fuck this, it's naptime" and are currently (quite literally) chilling out with the fish at the bottom of whatever body of water they call their home/toilet/dining area.

t. I've got a lake nearby that's LOADED with red ears and it ices over regularly.
>>
File: PXL_20210221_000754355.jpg (3.14 MB, 4032x3024)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
Some plants I bought for the Beardies bioactive Viv I'm building. I also bought a Dracaena deremensis
>>
For those who have beardies, what would you say the average upkeep cost is? Considering getting one or a corn snake
>>
>>3693288
Do you regularly buy fresh veggies?
>>
>>3693288
beardies will be significantly more expensive than a corn snake. If cost is a concern there is not a single cheaper herp i can think of, and corn snakes are great.
>>
>>3693288
Corn snakes cost less than ten bucks a month to feed. Beardies are maybe twenty-five a month, plus another forty to fifty bucks for new UVB bulbs, twice a year.
>>
File: 20210220_213452.jpg (817 KB, 2626x2737)
817 KB
817 KB JPG
Day 3 of soaks. Only vet that would know what to do with her is closed because of the weather. Regardless of how well this does, I'm going to take her to the vet. All I can say is that I'm a huge dickhead
>>
>>3693302
Yes
>>3693303
>>3693308
Considering I’m relatively poor I’ll get a snake then
>>
>>3693367
What suddenly prompted this shame and regret?
>>
>>3693372
https://youtu.be/vjQ8e84JHrA
>>
>>3693367
Remember, you are the only person they can depend on.
>>
>>3693367
Worse than a dickhead, you're a neglectful retard. But you're also (allegedly) a self-aware neglectful retard. Should you solve this problem, seriously consider finding a new home for that tegu, and get your shit together before you put another animal in such discomfort.
>>
>>3693367
>>3693386
Yeah man I understand the occasional lapse but letting stuck shed get so bad that it cuts off tail circulation is kinda a big deal.

You should definitely look into rehoming if you can't give it the proper attention.
There's no shame in doing whats right for the animal
>>
>>3692301
A female woma. I'm going to the hamburg show next week so here's hoping I'll get my wish
>>
>>3692298
>cruel to force a lizard to be incel
you realize you're creating more lizard incels?
>>
>>3693377
Seeing how bad it actually was and realizing how shitty I've been. I keep getting told by people I know that "its ok" and "mistakes happen" no this shouldn't have even happened in the first place. I just I dont know. She has a vet appointment for monday. I love her so much I'm such a fucking retard for not noticing earlier.
>>3693396
I could give excuses like "thought she was just going through that tegu phase where they just hate you" but even then I should have realized when cleaning her enclosure. I don't want to rehome her, but this just has completely fucked me
>>
>>3693432
First you need to realize that, mistake or not, this is neglect. You fucked up bigtime and it isnt okay. With this info three things can happen.

First you can continue to neglect it until it dies early but you feel remorse so lets cross that out. The next two require extreme self awareness.

You need to really examine whether or not you can give this animal the attention it needs. Not "do I want to keep this?" But "can I give it the best possible quality of life?"

If the answer is yes keep the Tegu and learn from this mistake. Like really fucking learn from it. Up your awareness 100 fucking fold.

If the answer is no rehome the animal. It sucks, it hurts, but you owe the animal the best quality of life. If you can't maintain that you need to give it up.

I beg you anon. Really fucking think inward here.
>>
>>3693432
Post the enclosure and clear shots of the stuck shed
The only path to salvation is through judgement
>>
>>3693439
I really needed to hear this I think. Thank you. I will seriously be considering my options and whether or not I need to give her to someone else.
>>
>>3693455
You should you irresponsible bastard. My suggestion is to kys.
>>
Where were you when you realized snake discovery doesnt actually know what they're talking about?

>repeatedly say hognoses are rear fanged venomous
No they arent. They are a non-venomous species. Having an irritating saliva isnt the same thing as having venom

>the western hognose doesnt exist anymore, now its split into 3 distinct species
No it isnt, Heterodon nasicus is the western hognose and there is a dispute over if the mexican variety should be considered a subspecies. It certainly wont be considered a different species all together even if that does get accepted. Nothing about the animals taxonomy has changed

They are hognose breeders too
Fucking rackniggers are all the same
>>
Is there anywhere I can read about the history of herpetoculture? It seems to be documented way worse than aquaculture/aviculture history. I'm pretty bad at googling but all I could find was this online chat interview.
http://www.kingsnake.com/chat/011213_rberry.htm
>>
>>3693548
>Keeping any animal in tiny boxes stacked on racks
They are just hoarders
>>
does anyone have a chameleon? Are they really that hard or is it just incapable retards that give them their name? Would like some opinions on getting one.
>>
File: dunning-kruger.png (59 KB, 1200x628)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>3693548
>Having an irritating saliva isnt the same thing as having venom
That irritant is venom. It's just not very dangerous.

>Heterodon nasicus is the western hognose
With two subspecies that are sometimes elevated to species status
>>
>>3693548
>their racks are too small
agreed

They are literally correct about everything else in your post. And I don't even watch them. Is this a next-level troll or are you part of that trend in herp keeping where people are actively hostile towards any research that discovers their pets don't fit in the species classification they were given back in the victorian era?
>>
>>3692506
Aww
>>
hey /an/I have a spare exo tera cube that I only use for holding my water dragon well I do maintenance on her tank and I wanna get something that will like these dimensions and not need an upgrade later
its 18X1818
>>
>>3693809
also >product photo has geckos on sand
>>
>>3693810
>>3693809
>zero hides
>3 geckos in a tiny tank
>heated rock
>>
>>3693548
>No they arent.
Technically they are. Venom is just specialized saliva anyway
>>
Should I buy a bull snake? This one at the reptile shop is really cute and only $150

https://www.strawpoll.me/42675156
>>
>>3693706
>Are they really that hard
Yes.
>>
>>3693815
You should do it.
So jelly of americans when it comes to colubrids, you’ve got all the cool ones for super cheap.
>>
>>3693822
Color me colubrid crazy. I’ve got 2 hogs, but I want a kingsnake, bullsnake, and a california red-sided garter
>>
>>3693832
good taste, but not best taste
where are the rat snakes?
>>
>>3693838
I’ll get more colubrids later on but those are the ones I gotta have.
>>
File: PXL_20210221_171212858.jpg (590 KB, 3423x1939)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
took this guy out for some natural lighting
he's friendly and beautiful and very chill with handling, but something about freshly washed hands 100x bigger than him screams 'eat this'
maybe it's the vague floral scent in my soap, gonna switch to unscented.
>>
File: PXL_20210221_171400178.jpg (1.17 MB, 3070x1975)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>3693886
did get one good pic in direct sunlight though
>>
File: hand.png (249 KB, 484x569)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
>>3693815
>>3693832
Hell yeah you should get him. Pic related it's (You) next time you walk in there. Hmu in 18-24 months I'll sell you Arizona Mountain Kings and MBKs.
>>
>>3693886
Cute
>>
>>3693886
Do you wash your hands just before you feed him? He may be associating THAT smell with food rather than the food
>>
>>3693968
I do wash my hands after putting the mice to thaw because I just touched dead mice. Generally don't wash after that since everything else is done with tongs. Tongs are washed in unscented Dawn and occasionally get tossed in the dishwasher with dishes for a sterilize cycle.
I think he's just kingsnake-level food driven. I really hope he grows out of it. Gonna try to handle him twice daily to see if I can break the habit before he gets big enough that it's more than a mild annoyance.
>>
>>3693986
maybe try target training?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xsFnlDB7mI
>>
>>3693892
>vent shot
slut
>>
>>3693548
>Having an irritating saliva isnt the same thing as having venom
>"being medically significant to a human" is a stupid threshold for for deciding whether or not something is venomous. It may not do much to a person but it'll fuck up a frog, and that's what important for a hogger.

Speaking of hognose venom, wanna watch a SEA monkey face the consequences of his actions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYwrlc-UCWI
>>
>>3694012
I was wondering when you were gonna post this. At least the retard isnt demonizing the snake I guess.

Rat snake anon makes me want to get into colubrids so bad
>>
>>3694008
I've been looking into it, but it'll be a lot easier when a full meal for him isn't a newborn mouse. Hard to give him several little bits of food for a training session till he gets big enough for little bits of food to actually be a thing. Right now there's no way to get more than one training repetition, since pinkys don't hold up well to being cut into pieces.
>>
>>3694019
maybe just flash up the target in front of him right before you feed him for now? it's better to do with repetition, but if you start the association with the target and feeding now, it might be easier later.
>>
File: crocc.webm (1.19 MB, 1280x720)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB WEBM
>>
>>3693755
>>3693813
They are legally classified as non-venomous, so they are non-venomous
They are not subject to any of the regulations venomous reptiles are subject to, and if you buy one It says in bold print on the side of the box NON-VENOMOUS REPTILE

They are the only idiot's aside from dav I've ever heard use the term plains hognose when talking about western hognoses
Funny thing about common names, they are based on normal language not because muh scientists decide to classify something
Like for example koala bear, or Georgia possums
Dont be the WELL ACKSHUALLY they arent bears and it's pronounced opossum. Nope, that's not how names work
An animals name is what ever common usage dictates the animals name is
Het nas is the western hognose, fuck pet tubers
>>
>>3694103
>They are legally classified as non-venomous, so they are non-venomous
Can't tell if trolling or room temp iq. So we'll done I guess.
>>
>>3694103
Keep posting. Your posts are fun and engaging.
>>
>>3694103
The day we let senators define scientific terms is the day it's all over.
>>
>>3694103
you're either trolling or an idiot, but I'm gonna use it as an excuse to rant because i've seen people like you in real life. 'plains hognose' is the CORRECT term, and using it is worthy of praise, not scorn. I really fucking hate how anti-science some of this hobby is. I've got no problem with the use of common names (like, I call my everglades rat snake an everglades rat snake, even though 'Everglades color phase eastern rat snake' is more scientifically correct) but shitting on people for using the proper terms is bad. The two species H. nasicus and H. kennerlyi have been so interbred in the hobby that the term 'Western Hognose' should continue to exist to mean the manmade hybrid that was created before we knew any better.
Taking it to the next level like some people and complaining about how modern DNA analysis has improved phylogenetics in commonly kept snakes is also ridiculous bullshit. It's like the people that still insist on the term BCI, or are so focused on appearance they refuse to believe black Eastern rat snakes, orange Eastern rat snakes and yellow Eastern rat snakes are so closely related that current science doesn't even recognize them as subspecies. They're just color phases.
>>
>>3694103
>WELL ACKSHUALLY common usage is how we decide the distinction between species
The only difference between you and the people you're complaining about is that you're wrong.
>>
Should I get a door that slides open or swings open for my adult ball?
>>
>>3693903
>MBK
I love those, put me on the list
Also, update on the bullsnake, I got him.
>>
>>3694233
from top or from front?
>>
>>3694244
Looking at PVC enclosures, so from the front.
Also if I should get a door that swings open should it swing downwards or to the side?
>>
>>3694261
I'm always gonna prefer sliding, because I'm a paranoid retard who is afraid of pinching a toe or a tail when closing a hinged door. I've heard horror stories of people closing it when a small lizard was hiding near the hinges, and inadvertently smashing the little guy.
>>
>>3694233
I personally have a hate boner for sliding doors, don't even have a good reason, just like the look of swinging doors
>>
>>3694266
Well with smaller enclosures they make it considerably more annoying to get in there with your hands.
>>
File: 20210221_194007.jpg (1.17 MB, 4032x1544)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
There was an anon asking me about my setup. I think a big problem was that I trusted someone else to mist the enclosure while I was away, but even then I should have noticed earlier. I'm soaking her twice a day per vet instruction until her appointment tomorrow.
>>
>>3694261
if the enclosure's at least twice as long as it is tall, i prefer sliding doors. Otherwise side-swinging.
Doors that swing from the top or bottom need not apply.
>>
>>3694273
How old and how big is this tegu? This setup looks adequate, and the dish should be big enough that she could have soaked on her own if dehydrated. I may have been slightly hasty in calling you a neglectful retard. Only slightly.
>>
File: based_department.jpg (54 KB, 521x937)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>3694243
Here buddy, it's for you. Welcome to Colubrid Gang.
>>
File: U8Xo7uyq.jpg (754 KB, 2048x1536)
754 KB
754 KB JPG
>>3694324
Memes aside this dude is gonna slay so much pussy next year. I'm pumped, and aside from my weird Catholic buddy in Anaheim you guys can have first dibs.
>>
File: img.jpg (103 KB, 1080x810)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
I'm trying to get the proper temperatures for an Uromastyx and have so far gotten to 121F while testing but want to be able to get higher to be sure. Is there a recommended brand or type of bulb to use or should I just get higher wattage until I can reach good temperatures? I was using an 80W large bulb in the bigger lamp but I was going to get a stronger 120W to see how hot it could get
>>
File: 1462850880682.gif (1.78 MB, 350x255)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB GIF
>>3694333
I see you're using Lucky Herp. Good brand, no complaints, I've used them as well as Tekizoo. The latter might be marginally cheaper but we're talking like 2 bucks if even that. TekiZoo bulbs aren't frosted though, so they might be too bright for your dude at that distance.
>>
>>3694333
Also, I haven't gotten rocks or substrate yet to set up so I just used a couple different surfaces before I get everything in there
>>
>>3694295
Shes about 2, just under 3ft, and the tub is big enough to fully submerse herself in. I still feel this whole ordeal is my fault, despite the person not spraying her tank for an extended period of time, but that was before I moved her into this one. I still should have noticed. Hopefully tomorrow the vet can give me something for her cuts
>>
>>3694273
I'm surprised by this. I was expecting you to be a total shitter with like a baby gate over some news papers in the corner of the room or something
>>
>>3694333
Why carpet tho? I thought half the fun of the species is you can use bird seed as substrate and they'll snack while they dig around
>>
>>3694411
Please do not do this. I don't care if Clint said you could. You shouldn't. It's too loose, bad for their joints.
>>
>>3694414
I guess it cant be helped, after all even clint is a spider breeding rack nigger
>>
>>3694411
That's just to line the bottom, I have a mix of dry substrate to add later
>>
>>3694427
Hasn't he only produced like 1 spider clutch? And his "show me the data" point is still valid.
>>
File: 1592793445897.png (931 KB, 2048x1360)
931 KB
931 KB PNG
Anybody use a deep heat projector before? I left it on for a couple days and now the thing is reading lower temps than before. The closest spot is less than 12 inches away and it only gets to 73 75 tops. I have a limestone brick. Shit has been absolutely worthless so far

Pic for attention
>>
>>3694446
The data shows 100% of spiders have a neurological condition, so I'm not sure what more data is needed.

He made a really poor argument about dogs saying there are a lot of dogs that are bred without regard for health problems

Yes..we should stop breeding them too
Kennel clubs are the morphniggers of dogs that put aesthetic novelty before the health of the animal
If a morph is known to cause health problems it shouldn't be bred. There are so many colorations that dont have diseases associated with them, we dont need spiders
>>
>>3694446
>show me the data
do you really need to see data when you are dealing with breeding an animal for aesthetics in a way that guarantees the animal will have at least some minor impairment in its ability to move and feed and inevitably creates some small percentage of animals so impaired that they can't effectively feed on their own?

SMASHING and SLAMMING animals is a moral question, not one that can be answered with muh science.
>>
>>3693706
No, otherwise they won't be able to survive in the wild in Florida
>>
>>3694527
They survive mostly because they're good at breeding and hiding, and being outdoors solves their ventilation problem. Chameleons have their reputation for fragility for a reason.
>>
>>3694483
Line breeding is not the only way to breed morphs. It's not even the most long-term profitable way to do it.
>>
>>3694654
The gene that contains the spider pattern mutation is the same gene that causes the neurological issue, which is why any snake that inherits it from both parents dies before hatching. No amount of outbreeding can eliminate it. Even Brian admits this, and honestly he is one of the best and most thoughtful breeders of spiders in the sense that he actively tries to minimize the issue, most spider breeders don't care. Some even sell severely impaired snakes to people who think the wobble is cute.

It's breeding for an aesthetic. In many cases without regard for the welfare of the animal, but even in cases where that is considered it is taking a back seat to aesthetics which IMO is the definition of SMASHING and SLAMMING a breed.
>>
>>3691710
NEW FROG TIME VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX3sCCI-aaM
>>
>>3694662
Yes, but the spider morph is unusual in that regard.

>any snake that inherits it from both parents dies before hatching

yes

>which is why

no
>>
>>3694677
Why do all of the offspring die then?
>>
>>3694689
First off, they don't all die. 25% of the offspring of two spider morphs die from getting the wrong genotype. But it's also quite common for traits, even negative ones, to exhibit complete dominance, in which case it wouldn't matter whether one or two copies were inherited.

Yes, spider is bad, so is listening to reasoning from 4tards.
>>
>>3694476
>, so I'm not sure what more data is needed.
Data indicating its more than a minor bobble without them being neglected, is what he refered to in the video
>>
>>3694483
>moral question, not one that can be answered with muh science.
So you're just admitting to being an emotional brainlet? Gonna be a yikes from me.
>>
>>3694716
>>3694718

>quantify an animal's mental experience when it has no way of expressing discomfort.

I love Clint but it's a retarded expectation of "data"
>>
>>3694744
>quantify an animal's mental experience
No
>quantify the impact of animals living conditions on the the severity of bobble
Yes
>>
>>3694748
If it's the impact on living conditions can't you just observe them trying to eat or maneuver their enclosure? They objectively have a harder time than other balls. What other way can we look at it if not quantifying the snake's experience? Genuinely asking.

We can already easily observe they face more difficulty so how can we look at the extent of that difficulty?
>>
>>3694703
Nah its impossible to breed 2 visual spiders together, they have a 100% embryo termination rate
>>3694748
There was this local guy that used to always be walking around, he had cerebral palsy so you could say he had a wobble. He swayed a lot when he walked and rode an adult sized tricycle around because he couldnt balance on a regular bike
Seemed perfectly normal aside from his wobble

One day he drowned himself in a bath tub
>>
I suppose you could take a population of wild caught balls, a population of wild-type captive bred balls, and a population of spider balls, place them in identical naturalistic enclosures, and then compare the performance of the three, bit even then you're (at least presumably) making pets rather then replacements for wild animals, so there's still the question of whether or not thats relevant in the first place.
There was a paper published about spoder wobble, but it wasnt really that informative and basically said exactly what you'd expect it to - namely that breeders dont seem to think its an issue, and people who identified as being interested primarily in animal welfare thought it did.
>>
>>3694780
I think we are all in agreement most people in the "reptile hobby" don't have animal welfare in mind and are running dragon mills that crank out babies, selling people little animals that become huge without telling them what they are getting into but fuck it I got paid so who cares what happens to the animal now, and just regular old autistic hoarders

The fact that keeping animals in plastic storage bins lined with paper towels on a book shelf is considered an acceptable standard of care tells you everything you need to know about reptile people and their concern for the health of the animals they keep

Side rant
>its ok to keep nocturnal animals in racks though
No it isnt, nocturnal reptiles still bask and need a light cycle, all it means is they are sleeping during the day, it doesn't mean their body never receives sunlight
>>
>>3694806
Couldn't you use clear racks and put enrichment in it? Just to play Devil's advocate SD racks seem pretty decent.
>>
>>3694768
>it's the impact on living conditions can't you just observe them trying to eat or maneuver their enclosure? They objectively have a harder time than other balls. What other way can we look at it if not quantifying the snake's experience? Genuinely asking.
It does relate to the snakes experience sure, but if course we can't ask them what it's like. But it's not a binary yes or no thing, nothing in life is that way.
>We can already easily observe they face more difficulty so how can we look at the extent of that difficulty?
It would probably need to be fairly in depth. Perhaps attaching a sensor to the noggin of the snake to measure frequency and magnitude of random movements, who knows.
>>
>>3694779
>There was this local guy that used to always be walking around, he had cerebral palsy so you could say he had a wobble. He swayed a lot when he walked and rode an adult sized tricycle around because he couldnt balance on a regular bike
>Seemed perfectly normal aside from his wobble
>One day he drowned himself in a bath tub
Cool story man
>>
>>3694811
Balls in particular are semi-arboreal, have been directly observed in the wild raiding nests in trees, and will display climbing behavior and even the green tree python sytle "snake bundle on a stick" resting position if you give them vertical space, so its not really ideal.
>>
>>3694818
That's fair. An enclosure is literally always objectively better. I just am wondering if there's a way to do tubs that isn't just being a piece of shit. Like most breeders don't even put multiple hides or branches to crawl over or anything.
>>
>>3694819
The key feature of tubs in the first place is "whole bunch of snakes in as little space as possible," so while you certainly COULD do racks right (by basically making enclosures you can pull out like a drawer), you might as well just do enclosures and have them front opening.
>>
>>3694811
Heck, they say a 15qt tub is appropriate for an adult hognose, I have a juvenile in a 20 gallon long and he uses every inch of the space, I may even bump him to a 30 when hes full grown.
The unexpected thing too is aside from the 3-4" of substrate for digging he also climbs and makes use of the vertical space
He will climb up as high as he is able to and chill at the top and you wouldt expect that out of a hognose
But then again it makes sense because their wild behavior is to hunt by hanging down on top of things.
They dont go in the water to catch frogs, they dangle themselves above it
>>
>>3694815
IMO, if they eat as well as wild type and they live as long as wild type and they don't exhibit any more stress reactions than wild type, then wobble isn't that big of a deal. Obviously there are degrees of wobble and some are worse than others, but the evidence that wobble severity is genetic is not perfectly clear (wobble itself is, but bad wobble vs slight wobble may or may not be).

I'll never own a spider because I think the wild type ball looks better, but I'm not opposed to their existence, morally. Most ball farms are unethical shitheads, spider or wild type, line breeding should be a crime, and I wish rackniggers would fuck off from the hobby, but those are different issues than the morality of breeding spiders because they're not spider-specific problems.
>>
>>3694825
I feel the same way about my gfs Leo. He utilizes what vertical space he has in his 20 long so much that we both want to up him to a 40.
>>
File: Reptile-0808-26W.jpg (67 KB, 1000x760)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>3694811
>>3694824
I intend to eventually move all my kingsnakes into windowed FB-90s. It's the second biggest tub Freedom Breeder offers and it has substantially more floor space than the 40s I would otherwise be keeping them in. It has a clear window on the front, so they'll still get a proper day and night cycle, which is especially important for crepuscular species. I'm not a newspaper-and-no-hide faggot, so they'll all have aspen to burrow in and stuff to climb over and under.
I want to do what's best for my animals, and I'm so fucking sick of hauling around these stupid tanks, but I'm terrified of being branded a racknigger by the council of /herp/. Worse yet, I'm mortified of seeing myself become the racknigger I always hated.
>>
>>3694830
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a rack nigger

I don't have an issue with the way you plan to do it
>>
>>3694827
This little bastard is also suddenly too good to eat anything but crickets at the moment. Any mealworms, superworms, or dubias, I put in go untouched.
>>
Anybody own any Animal Plastics cages? The pricing seems really good as far as customs. I don't need one yet but long term I'm gonna need one for my boa
>>
>>3694846
>I don't need one yet but long term I'm gonna need one for my boa
Better order now and you might get one by when you need it
>>
>>3694847
Ah so that's the catch?
>>
>>3694848
They just have a very long lead time, and you have to pay for shipping whereas some other manufacturers ship free. They seem to be well thought of though. Other anons may have more info
>>
>>3694779
>Nah its impossible to breed 2 visual spiders together, they have a 100% embryo termination rate
This isn't true and a simple google search reveals that lots of idiots our there are successfully doing spider x spider breeding
>>
>>3694851
i concur. Right now between shipping costs and lead time they aren't worth it to me, and I really like the one I have (4x2x2).
If you want traditional PVC I'd go with Kages, if you like Zen's design (I do) go with them. For a 4x2x2 you're saving like 30 bucks with AP after shipping in exchange for waiting 6+ months. Not worth it.
>>
File: 20210222_132123.jpg (1.78 MB, 3024x3024)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
Tegu update. Saw the vet this morning. Got some medication to mix in with her soaks. The upped humidity and soaks have helped tremendously, but the vet and I are still concerned about her toes. She's already looking more red
>>
File: 20210222_132932.jpg (3.11 MB, 3264x2448)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>
File: 20210222_133003.jpg (2.87 MB, 3264x2448)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
Where did my hatchling go.
>>
>>3695156
Such a strong chin
>>
>>3692129
>>3692154
If it's any reprieve, this law is likely unconstitutional and challenges federal law.
>>
>>3695159
Hes got excellent structure just hoping he fills out more. Prob gonna up his protons up with some pinkies.
>>
>>3694103
Since you're being nitpicky, and wrong, you can't shorten the name to Het nas. The only accepted way to shorten a scientific name is the first letter of the genus name, and then the full species name. So it would be H. nasicus.

>>3694780
Considering the original spider was wild caught. Which is the only way it could have made its way into the hobby...being dominant and all...you don't have to introduce them, they're already there. I don't personally know the prevalence of wild spiders, though.
>>
File: pepe irl.webm (2.06 MB, 720x1280)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB WEBM
>>
>>3695190
That an animal with a mutation was found doesnt mean its suitable for a stable population, it just may not have gotten selected against before it got snatched up.
Also, Kevin McCurley thought the wobble was fucking ENDEARING for said wild-caught animal. Its literally SMASHED and SLAMMED, snake edition.
>>
>>3695193
*was found in the wild
>>
>>3695191
This animal requires a large mezo-american inspired throne to sit upon immediately.
Also some skink servants.
>>
File: 1612337905996.png (72 KB, 400x296)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>3695203
>>
>>3695190
>Considering the original spider was wild caught
That's not even verified. All we have is hearsay.
>>
Are arcadia lights a meme or what
>>
>>3695270
Nah they're pretty solid
>>
>>3695270
They're definitely good lights. Whether they're worth as much as they charge is another question.
>>
>>3695276
the arcadia T5HO tubes aren't overpriced, just quality. I've seen a thing where various T5 tubes were compared and Arcadia kept the most UV output at the end of a year. Maybe some other anon has the link.
Dunno if I'd go with them for anything but UVB bulbs though. Also, once the UVB wears out the Arcadia T5s are still great grow lights.
>>
>>3695008
I hope it turns out as well as possible, but I also hope this stands as a true come to Jesus moment for you.
>>
>>3695207
according to Kevin Mccurley he's the first person to reproduce the morph off of a wild-caught.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg6UhI8h6iE
about a minute in.
>>
>>3694830
What I dont get is why cant they make the whole tub out of clear plastic or at the very least put a window on 3/4 sides

I'd rather use plastic than glass, it's better for herp purposes because it's both cold and dry where I live but I want to be able to easily see my animal
>>
>>3695302
He was not the importer. Allegedly it was imported as wild caught by New England Reptile Distributors but this remains unconfirmed.
>>
>>3695302
>>3695315
Wasn't there some shit about another spider being found out in Trinidad like 2,5 years ago? Also worth mentioning that the animal Kevin eventually received was an adult. It was able to feed itself in le wild.
>>
>>3695315
That just makes him poacher scum as well as a rack nigger
>>3695008
Buy a misting system
>>
>>3695326
Ball pythons are categorized as Least Concern by the IUCN
>>
File: 1415991638486.jpg (128 KB, 748x1017)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>3695326
>poacher scum
Where do you think reptiles comes from retard? Everything is descended from wild caught animals, and unless your shit is normie af like a beardie, leo, ball, or corn, it's probably less than five generations removed from the wild. Take a xanax you fucking hippie.
>>
>>3695329
they should be keeping their reptiles in better enclosures so clearly everything else they do is horrific animal abuse.
>>
>>3695327
All the more reason not to take them from the wild
There are plenty in captivity already
>>
>>3695339
How do you feel about hunting?
>>
>>3695326
>poacher
Idtwmwytitm
>>
>>3695341
The only game animals I'm interested in are ones I cant readily buy at the store
I would shoot a moose, I would not shoot a Turkey
>>
>>3695347
No, retard, I'm asking if you think I'm a poacher if I go out and shoot a common animal.
>>
>keeping reptiles is fine
yeah
>racks are bad
I'm with you
>collecting animals from the wild that have very stable populations even under collection is bad
I guess we're going to need a lot of racks then?
>>
Is it okay to keep feeder mice and rats in racks?
>>
>>3695365
I guess, provided it's a decently sized enclosure and they have access to the same kind of care and enrichment they would otherwise. mice and rats are pretty strictly low-to-the-ground animals, so verticality isn't that big an issue, and they don't like feeling exposed, so having a darker space to run around in would be better for them.
>>
>>3695356
I feel like that's the definition of being a poacher. If you take animals from the wild wifout a propa loisense

Like fishing licenses here are free but I still renew mine every year.
You're not allowed to keep brook trout from upstream but you can down stream. Up stream is strictly catch and release
Theres a foot bridge that acts as the dividing line between the areas that are legal. I wouldnt take a trout from the upstream even though its 5 feet away from the legal area
>>
>>3695398
>propa loisense
Very low T take. Free men don't ask permission
>>
>>3695365
Rackniggering is less of a big deal of you're running a breeding program and need the space. It's just a temporary stay for the animals until they are sold or fed to something.
It's the keepers that racknigger that's the problem
>>
>>3695365
>>3695391
All you need for enrichment is a wheel, some wooden blocks, and paper towel tubes,
>>
>>3695398
Do you think you need a license to collect ball pythons in the wild, or to buy them from importers?
>>
>>3695398
FUCK OFF US FISH & WILDLIFE SIMP I DON'T NEED SOME SPOOK TO FINE ME BECAUSE THE FISH I HAULED UP WAS ONLY 10.5 INCHES INSTEAD OF 12
>>
>>3695400
Those free men are the reason it's harder to hunt and fish today than it used to be. They took too much and weren't responsible with the populations.

Always funny to see an old guy complaining about how "theres no fish in this lake anymore! You spend the whole day out there and are lucky to get a nibblem When I was your age they were practically jumping in the boat, we came out every morning and filled up the whole cooler before lunch time"

Yeah, that's why theres no fucking fish in here now
>>
>>3695414
The Chad freeman vs the virgin fish
>>
File: 20210222_201652.jpg (737 KB, 2455x2485)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
>>3695326
I did actually. I now have 3 misting nozzles in there now
>>
>>3694414
i've seen a lot of people throw that substrate idea for uros and don't get it. wouldn't it also get covered in shit quickly and/or lead to an obese animal
>>
>>3695464
I think the idea is that you treat it like you would any other substrate, and don't feed them the same kind of seed that they're on. that way they don't read it as "oh hey look at all this food," but if they incidentally eat some they don't get impacted. seems a bit impractical really.
>>
Bluepill me on hognoses
>>
>>3695478
gay, retarded and stupid frog eaters.
>>
File: 20210222_141710.jpg (2.82 MB, 4032x3024)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB JPG
>>3695485
Soon.
>>
>>3695478
Hoggers are all redpilled and all based. No bluepill, no cringe.
>>
>>3695391
Mice and rats will climb if given the opportunity. They don't live in their nests 24/7.
>>3695401
So it's fine as long as you plan to kill them? Okay.
>>3695404
How do you fit an exercise wheel in a rack?
>>
File: 20210222_142218.jpg (1.84 MB, 4032x3024)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
Look at the eye
THE METAMORPHOSIS HAS BEGUN!
>>
>>3695532
>Mice and rats will climb if given the opportunity. They don't live in their nests 24/7.
Very true. And while some stuff for them to clamber around on would be nice for enrichement, and maybe even a good idea, they're not really arboreal or even semi-arboreal creatures. limited verticality wouldn't be as big a deal for a mouse or rat as it would be for, say, a squirrel or chipmunk.
>So it's fine as long as you plan to kill them?
If you read carefully, you'll notice the situations listed all follow a general theme of "short term storage."
>How do you fit an exercise wheel in a rack?
exercise saucers are a thing that exists. You seem to be working on a preconception that these hypothetical racks would be tiny. You would of course need something with a fair amount of depth - >>3694830 for example would probably be more than sufficient for a colony of mice.
>>
Get ready to reeeeee
https://youtu.be/imSpRismGYE
>>
>>3695551
>they're not really arboreal or even semi-arboreal creatures. limited verticality wouldn't be as big a deal for a mouse or rat as it would be for, say, a squirrel or chipmunk.
They climb more than a lot of the snakes that people here wouldn't keep in racks.
>If you read carefully, you'll notice the situations listed all follow a general theme of "short term storage."
I guess, but they're still spending most of their short lives in racks. Do you know of any rodent suppliers that keep them in larger systems with toys and hides?
>>
>>3695573
Fucking jew York holy shit
>>
>>3695573
God dammit man, retards like this make it so easy for the dumbfuck politicians to convince the retarded lower borough moms to ban reptiles from the face of the earth
>>
>>3695573
Live large or go home
>>
File: 1587838249830.jpg (65 KB, 720x720)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Hey guys, can you settle an argument
Are frogs and toads a different species?
>>
>>3695739
Yes
>>
>>3695739
there are a couple thousand species of frog, many of which are toads.
Toads are a subset of frogs.
>>
>>3695739
A frogge biþ broþers wiþ a toade.
>>
>>3695532
>How do you fit an exercise wheel in a rack?
>>
>>3696078
These wheels are better anyway
>>
>>3695573
Wasn't really reeeing until 6:45 and then I lost my shit.
>>
File: 20210222_162622.jpg (3.49 MB, 3264x2448)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
Why are most reptile breeders money chasing subhumans?
>>
>>3696113
>Why are [X GROUP OF PEOPLE] subhumans?
Because the human race is evil and it's gonna keep being evil until Jesus Christ comes back and BTFOs all the trannies and rackniggers.
>>
>>3696113
It's their main income and they have bills to pay and shit
>>
>>3696126
We cant let god do all the work anon.
>>
>>3696078
Yup, one of those and some tubes for tunnels, deep litter for nesting, a waterer and some box hides (maybe connected to the tunnel tubes), and your mice will be happy and unstressed until the day you euthanize them to store in your freezer. I'm kinda more partial to hamsters for a feeder colony because they're dumber, though I've never had enough demand for pinkies or fuzzies to justify more than 1 breeding pair at a time, and both seem to work.
>>
>>3696127
I don't believe that for an instant. Unless the breeder in question is dealing with so many animals that they need fulltime employees, eg McCurly or Barjew, breeding reptiles is not their sole or even primary source of income. Do you know how many balls or leos you'd have to shit out in a year to profit even something meager like 20K? They're shitty because they're lazy, and in the case of many ballniggers, they probably don't even like reptiles as a whole. They just got hooked on balls by a friend because muh peermid skeem and muh paintjobs, and thus that's all they keep and ever will keep. Next time you go to an expo, find a table with a bunch of designer balls and just ask the dude what other reptiles he keeps or would like to keep. Many will say they want to get into bloods or carpets or whatever, but most are content to continue being boringass ballnigger. After a while you get really good at susing them out. You don't even have to ask and you can just tell who is a newspaper-no-hide-racknigger, and who is organically into reptiles and by extension ball pythons. Not many.
>>
>>3696097
Yeah, not the ree I was expecting
>>
>>3696097
I mean, it just seemed like he was a guy like us who loved reptiles. and thought it could be a source of money for him. And then just one of the animals he took in got sick and it spread. I mean at some point enough is enough and you have to ask for help.
>>
How would one provide belly heat in a leopard gecko bioactive? Surely the substrate wouldn't reach proper temps with a UTH, would it?
>>
>>3696157
I would most likely place my balls in the enclosure and have your gecko step on them.
>>
>>3696140
>I don't believe that for an instant. Unless the breeder in question is dealing with so many animals that they need fulltime employees, eg McCurly or Barjew, breeding reptiles is not their sole or even primary source of income. Do you know how many balls or leos you'd have to shit out in a year to profit even something meager like 20K?
Idk I talked to one guy who quit his day job because he was making more money on balls. Even if it's not their primary income, they come to depend on it.
>>
>>3696078
Do any of the feeder breeders keep them with wheels?
>>
>>3696174
Mine does
>>
>>3696157
same way as the sun does it
point an overhead heat source at a rock
>>
>>3696174
No but should I breed my own mice at some point I will. The health benefits alone are reason enough. I want my sneks eating lean healthy mice, not tubes of rodent fat.
>>
How do i prepare a habbitat for my 4 bullfrog tagpoles
>>
>>3696140
>>3696127
>>3696113
Works like this:
>man I love animals
>holy shit this snake is so cool
>oh wow I cant believe I have him
>wow this one's neat too, and my first little guy is easy so shit, I can do two
>three's no big deal either
>wow look at this one, he costs as much as my fucking car.
>holy shit all these morphs are so fucking valuable
>I can totally do this
>HOLY SHIT FIRST SUCCESSFUL CLUTCH! Wow they're all so fucking cool.
>I can hold these two or three back of the twelve and make more next season
>I cant believe I'm making money just taling care of snakes, this is great
>wow I have like 5 clutches coming, thats like...60 snakes.
>okay this is getting kind of expensive
>thats okay though they MAKE THEIR OWN MONEY, I can do this
>fuck Im making more snakes than I can sell
>fuck Ive got more snakes than I can afford to take care of
>fuck it, im pretty sure this one has RI but its fine Ill just tell him he'll need a soak
>fuck it I just need to make [amount of money] they're all just going to fucking kids who are gonna neglect them in a month when they get bored anyway, it doesnt matter
>>
>>3696140
>Full-time one-person businesses don't exist
Ask me how I know you're an idiot.
>>
It sucks, I'm going to be dealing with stuck snake shed again
I have 2 big water bowls, 2 humid hides, and the screen lid covered in foil and I cant even get it to 30%
>>
>>3696524
Get a fogger
>>
File: EUP5qmUX0AExULb.jpg (116 KB, 873x718)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>3696524
Don't use foil. Use damp towel. Real towel, not paper towel. Replace or re-damped first thing in the morning and then again 12 hours later.
>>
>>3696528
>non permeable bad
>permeable good
wut
>>
>>3696524
Is it warm? How are you measuring humidity?
>>
>>3696544
I have a hot spot that's around 95 and the cool side floats between 70-75 depending on the time of day
I'm using one of those analogue dial shits stuck to the side of the tank

I'd like to get a longer heat bulb so it's a warm side and not just a warm spot
>>3696528
It's at 50 now from doing this
>>
>>3696567
Pour some water into the substrate
>>
Couple of questions
BP had a bad shed and appears to have retained at least one eyecap but I’m not 100% on the second. Does that look like an eyecap, or just stuck skin around it? Also how often can you soak a snake? I soaked her Monday to get what was left on her body, but I’ve never been able to get her neck to submerge
>>
>>3696576
Other eye just to be thorough. Saw a wrinkle so I’m pretty sure this one for sure has stuck cap compared to the other one. Some say leave em alone, others say go ahead and remove them. Not sure if it’s worth a vet visit or not
>>
>>3696567
Make your substrate deep as fuck and pour water into the corners of the tank
I used to have similar low humidity issues too but now the humidity stays up for like a week
>>
>>3696577
>Not sure if it’s worth a vet visit or not
Is worth it if you aren't going to fix it yourself
>>
>>3696580
What are my options? I was gonna try the damp pillow case thing to try and get her head and I've heard mumblings about using scotch tape to grab the caps but that's about it
>>
>>3696584
>damp pillow case thing
Basically this. A damp towel or q tip maybe. Its kinda delicate tho and if you're not comfortable the vet is safer. Though call ahead and make sure they'll do it.
>>
>morphfags have started with garters
>FUCKING GARTERS
>HERE BUY THIS BASIC ASS VANILLA ASS COMMON FUCKING GARTER FOR A TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY PERCENT MARKUP
How did this nigger brumate his snakes properly if he's already got clutches, PLURAL, in the middle of february?
>>
>>3696595
Acanthic garters would be cool tho
>>
>>3696567
>I'm using one of those analogue dial shits stuck to the side of the tank
drybro pls
>>
>>3696541
DAMP towel. foil is going to just slow the bleed of moisture, a damp towel will actively ADD moisture as it dries.
>>
>>3696599
>damp towel will actively ADD moisture as it dries.
I mean, a bit. But evaporation is going to be mostly up, for a lack of better phrase.
>>
>>3696601
How many physics classes have you taken?
>>
>>3696597
True, but if you're buying these guys you're
>1: trusting this dude to not just be straight up lying to you with regards to its genetics and trying to offload a bunch of wild types at a 250% mark up because it will literally be three years before you can prove out their genes
>2: going to have to either inbreed clutchmates or find another het axanthic elsewhere
Fuck the pyramid skeem
>>
>>3696601
Even if that were the case (and it isn't), you're still adding moisture you otherwise wouldn't get with foil.
>>
>>3696599
>>3696612
How often do you need to change out/re-dampen the towels?
>>
>>3696615
Not him but around the point they start smelling like mildew it's time for a swapout
>>
>>3696587
Made an attempt with the pillow case. A good bit came off her back, but the upper bits of her neck and head are still stuck firm
>>
File: PXL_20210224_025650182.jpg (3.65 MB, 4032x3024)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
Okay, 2 hours later, The tank is put together and I've made a background. Gonna start grouting it tomorrow
>>
>>3696584
>I've heard mumblings about using scotch tape to grab the caps
God no, it's easy to end up snagging actual eye skin and injuring the animal. Q-tip it after the damp case.
>>
>>3694357
Anon get a Mistking, if you're a busy person who can't be constantly misting you can be arsed to fill up a bucket and have it done for you.
>>
File: IMG_20210224_014113.jpg (672 KB, 1710x1062)
672 KB
672 KB JPG
I found this in my house.
What is it? Will it kill me if I touch it?
>>
>>3696780
Anon how exactly is a goddamn gecko going to kill you if you touch it? There are exactly 0 species of dangerous gecko.
>>
>>3696780
Spotted house gecko I think? and no, but it probably doesnt want you to touch it.
>>
>>3696783
some of them may certainly TRY, not that they'll be very successful.
>>
>>3696785
Gonna back this. Looks likes one of the Mediterranean variety
>>
>>3696780
If you look carefully at its waistline you can see the outline of an S&W .357 magnum. Definitely dead if you touch it.
>>
New thread when we're done here
>>3696786
>>
Hi, /an/, I'm thinking about getting a Leopard Gecko making his home a bioactive enclosure. My first thought is the Bio Dude's Terra Sahara, has anyone tried his TS substrate and if so, what do you think? Also, is his terra aranea any good? I also plan on getting some T's
>>
>>3696801
is this a first reptile or do you have experience with other herps? If it's a first time thing I would recommend just using stone tile as a flooring for the leo's tank. You don't want to have to worry about getting the husbandry right for the gecko while ALSO trying to get the husbandry right for the miniature ecosystem the gecko lives in.
>>
File: 1609782666356.jpg (49 KB, 480x626)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>3696822
I've had experience with herps and stuff. I would also get the springtails, isopods, and plants settled in and I would make sure I can care for the little eco system before adding the Leo
>>
>>3696801
I have one of his Bearded dragon kits on the way
>>
File: 3B7PjOp.jpg (42 KB, 334x506)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>3695191

> shits in your hand

CLEAN IT UP, JANNIE
>>
>>3695193
Pretty sure the original was found as an adult.

>>3695207
Please tell me how a dominant gene came to be in captivity if it wasn't already present in the wild. Please, enlighten me.

>>3695365
Yes. I personally keep my rats in large SCN-sized cages when not breeding, but I do breed and raise litters in racks. My ASF live full time in racks, and if I start on mice, they probably will, too.

>>3696595
Morphs like that have been around for decades. And $100 each is about what I'd expect double het garters to go for. Even normals without hets seem to be going for a lot. I was told I was selling my snakes for like 1/4 of other people when I was selling my CB Plains garters for $25.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.