[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Gold Twin Bar Platy Edition

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Previous thread >>3684516
>>
File: mollywood.jpg (6 KB, 240x171)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
Aquarium frens, what kind of fish do you think have the best personalities? I can't help but love mollies. They're not super smart and some varieties seem more aggressive, but mine are friendly and inquisitive. I enjoy their eager dancing when it's feeding time.
>>
>>3690509
>best personalities
dojo loach
>>
>>3690509
Guppies and bettas, though pretty basic fish, have pretty funny personalities I have noticed. If you can find some that are bred right, they make really good pets.
>>
>>3690492
Thanks again to the earlier advice for my aquarium guys. I'm the guy with the Cichilds and I asked some stuff about shrimps and crabs. I'll buy a second very large aquarium for a couple of Oscars. Any advices beforehand ? Thanks guys
>>
>>3690509
Hmm, i agree that livebearers are generally fun to watch and they dont have the same crowd-mentality as many other fish
But if i had to choose one from what i kept recently, it would be the algae eaters, specifically the Crossocheilus latius
Very active, curious, not at all shy - a very entertaining fish to watch
>>
So here's my situation. Hope some planted tank bros can help me out. I'm dealing with an algae issue in my nano 10l tank. There's aquasoil in it, which lowered the pH and I have a light that can be adjusted to high light but I've set it at low light for now. There is no co2. My anubias and staurogyne repens got covered in brown algae and my glass with green algae after a few days of using the light at 100% setting. I've set it to 35% now. It's bright right now as it is, but the algae growth seems to have stagnated. Here are my water parameters
1dkh
5dGH
<6pH
The test showed 6 but that's the lowest it goes. I bet it's somewhere in the high 5s. Livestock is a single long finned betta. He seems to be doing well and I'm feeding him 3-4 small pellets a day. Filter is a small hang on back. Ammonia and nitrite readings are consistently 0 and I'm doing weekly 25-30% water changes. Nitrates go to about 10ppm before my water change. I'm adding an all in one liquid fertiliser as well. So here's what I'd like to solve. My stem plants have melted away from the bottom. The top had new growth but the entire bottom just died off. It was an emersed plant so I'm not sure if that was part of the process. But the melt was faster than the growth. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to be like that. What am I doing wrong? Is it a water issue? Is it a flow issue? Should I just add more plants and stuff the tank full of stem plants so that they can all use the nutrients instead of algae? I'm suspecting its a plant density problem because my s.repens are actually doing well, it was nice and green before the algae kicked in. They've still not melted or anything, they have grown but they're just covered in brown algae now. But my stem plant however (limnophilia sessiliflora) just up and died after a few days of being in the tank. I have a small internal filter with powerful circulation laying around somewhere but isn't that bad for the betta? So how do I actually fix the plant problem?
>>
>>3690707
For how many hours the light is on?
If its anything above 7-8 - thats could be the main issue
Brown algae is nothing to worry about ( in my experience)
Green can be problematic, d pending on what kind of algae that is
Regardless, post pictures- it will be of great help
>>
>>3690750
Ok here are a couple of pics. You can see the green algae on the glass and the fluffy stuff on the anubias leaves. I also posted a while back with a picture of my tank when I added in the plants. I was the retard who used too much super glue for my anubias. Lighting is 8 hours straight at 35% brightness. For my tank depth, the light is considered to be high when its at 100%, medium at 70%. That's what some folks online who've done PAR readings for the light have found out. Also, the bare patch at the corner was where my limnophilia was before I took it out. I plan on covering that entire area with more stem plants but I want to do it right and not add in stuff just for them to die again. I did daily water changes when I first encountered the algae to get rid of it. That was before I had the betta. I brought down the light after that and added the fish after everything seemed ok. A week or so later, the algae came back and it's been that way for the past few weeks. And I did cycle my tank before adding the fish.
>>
File: 1612725386589.png (3.6 MB, 1791x1190)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB PNG
>>3690759
Dammit forgot the pic. Also, my water temperature is 31 degrees. Fuck if I can lower it. Apparently that's what people in my area have as well, it seems to be the norm here. Maybe the water is just too hot for delicate plants? The fish seems to be doing well so far. I've had ember tetras in about the same temperature in a different tank and they're doing really good for the past 4 months now.
>>
File: 20190708_033822.jpg (632 KB, 2037x1145)
632 KB
632 KB JPG
>>3690764
Depending on how old the tank is and how often your water change routine is, it might be due to the substrate leeching a lot of nutrients. You've got a fairly thick bed there. Depends on brand too but Amazonia has done that to me. My advice regardless of cause would be to add a bastard more plants and run the light high for 8 hours a day.
>>
>>3690766
>add a bastard more plants
Yeah I'm going to do this. Those floating plants there was newly added. Thought it might help combat the algae but after looking around online it seems this is considered lightly planted for a planted tank. Apparently you're supposed to jam plants in every corner. My lfs has a good selection of submerged plants in bags full of water. My bacopa is actually doing well in my ember tetra tank. I'm done buying emersed plants. That shit doesn't work in my tank.
>>
>>3690764
personally, i would reduce the fertilizers to a minimum or stop adding the all together
8 hours of light should be ok, maybe cut down to 7 for a week or two and see how it goes
Can you find amano shrimp where you live? That might help a little
Other than that the temperature is a bit extreme desu - definitely not ideal for fish or plants ( and amano shrimp will probably feel like shit in such hot water )
Is there nothing you can do to lower the temperature?
Also, even though snails will not eat that kind of algae, it will not hurt to have some
>>
File: 20210205_141252.jpg (3.38 MB, 3232x2288)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>3690509
>>3690587
Loaches. Definitely.

I also liked bichir.
>>
>>3690780
I removed the lid and it went down by 0.5 degrees. Right now I'm looking for a good sized fan that isn't loud. I had some ramshorn snails that hitchhiked the plants in my other tank but they went missing and died a couple of months later. Such a shame because I really liked them and they ate algae too. They bred like rabbits when they were alive though. I couldn't count how much I had. Later I found out that my water is rather soft and that's bad for snails. And that tank didn't even have aquasoil. This one does, I can't imagine a snail liking this tank. I'm wary about shrimps for the same reason. I heard endlers eat algae but they like hard water, so that wouldn't work either. I'm trying to minimise the algae source as much as possible without having to rely on algae eaters. Ideally I want the tank to be balanced and hopefully the answer to that is more plants.
>>
>>3690788
>Ideally I want the tank to be balanced
Yes, i agree with this being the optimal setup
Although its hard to achieve in practice, and might take months if not years of careful adjustments, and a very steady maintenance routine
I was fighting against algae for almost a year, and still ended up having two different kinds of snail, amano shrimps, and algae-eater fish to get it all under control ( and a did all the other tricks there were )
Here is how my aquarium looked last winter - note how almost everr plant is covered with green hair algae and there is also black beard on some of the driftwood ( it got even worse later )
Quality isnt good but enough to see the algae
>>
>>3690509

I had a golden panchax that was really inquisitive, and I used to have a scarlet badis that sat on my desk and would look at me while picking around the tank.
>>
>>3690835
Cool scape dude. What you said about fertilisers, I've read conflicting stuff about that. Some people say you should never stop dosing because you still want to keep the plant healthy throughout, otherwise you might end up in a vicious cycle of dying plants = more algae, but other people are saying to do just that so that it reduces nutrients in the water column. Maybe I will try not dosing it for this week and see how it goes. I've never stopped dosing ferts as of yet, but I did reduce the amount to no avail.
>>
>>3690492
anons, trying to get a reply from the last thread, can anyone explain to me why "hanging filters" are shit? and what would be a better alternative for a 48L aquarium?
>>
>>3690509
i love mollies, mine are super curious and i enjoy watching the swim around the tank, cool fishes overall
>>
>>3690862
Well, you can start with “gentle “ measures and adjust if necessary
But there is good chance you will lose some/all plants - i have lost every single vallisneria and bacopa, while pogostemon is barely visible and is probably not going to make it
This is how my aquarium looks now, and I haven’t added/planted a single new plant since the first picture - survival of the fittest
Hair algae is not a joke - you might lose all interest in fishkeeping before its over, but if you endure, you will enjoy and appreciate your setup even more
>>
>>3690889
Like a Backpack Filter? I dunno why they are supposedly Shit But for a 48 Liter Tank I would Take the good old Powergrad With filtersponge, that's good enough IMO
>>
>>3690963
*Powerhead
May god forgive me for my phoneposting
>>
I have an Interpret PF Mini, and a 30 litre aquarium with 9 adult shrimps and a few baby ones, along with a handful of ramshorns and trumpet snails
how often should the carbon filter be replaced?? thanks for any tips
>>
File: InterpretPFMini.png (1.13 MB, 1456x1294)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>3690991
havent used it myself, but i would fill it like in the picture
you dont realy need a carbon filter or them magic anti-algae crystals
but maybe other anons have personal experience with this filter and will have a better advice
>>
>>3691064
Algaway spheres? Some kinda resin like purigen perhaps?
>>
File: chrislukhaup.jpg (671 KB, 1536x2048)
671 KB
671 KB JPG
Chris Lukhaup anyone?
>>
File: _20210219_010625.jpg (3.07 MB, 5984x3376)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
What do you think about my first aquarium (paludarium actually)?
Im going for a ancient ruins look with these green marble slabs i got from my friend. The higher portion in the back is going to stay above the water line. It's going to be just for plants at first but maybe I'll get a frog at some point and some small fish. Ignore the blue foam, its just a placeholder. I'll post more as i progress
>>
>>3691244
As a further note, this is still way unfinished and I've already made some changes as i have been doing almost all the time
>>
>>3690889
Multi-reply phone poster from previous thread here.
What filter you "need" is based on your bioload, but there's no problem with an oversized filter. I'll break it down for you.

Power/hanging/etc:
Usually involves more water in contact with air. More evaporation. Can be an okay thing if you need the air.
Usually involves more "open" area on the back/side of tank as it hangs- risky for fish prone to jump.
They're inefficient: usually the spillway is right near the intake.
Usually stocked with only pads/cheap inserts- generally worse filter media.
It's small and harder to get a great filter media setup in there and you don't have much space for things like peat, active carbon. Can't do interesting things like load up a section just for tannins (which looks rad).
Smaller + less media + cheap media = dirty faster.
Smaller + worse media = less water control, poorer filtering.
They're usually cheaper... but they're usually also cheap.
Water falling in directly without piping= often noisy.
Can't be hidden somewhere out of the way. Personal beef, don't like looking at it.

TL;DR: If you want crystal clear water, you want a larger more efficient filter than most hanging models are going to accommodate.
>>
>>3691244
keep in mind marble can raise gh/kh iirc
>>
>>3690835
Even with algae that's a very impressive tank
>>
>>3691271
good, fuck any fish that doesn't like rocks. rocks are good.
>>
>>3690509
for small fish, swordtails. big fish, puffers. i also like discus social behavior, they bully one another ever so gently.
>>
>>3690889
Biological filtration takes time. You can use the hanging filter as a pump to power a Hamburger Matten Filter and get some mechanical filtration from it's inserts but that is it.
>>
File: IMG_0398.jpg (420 KB, 1188x2208)
420 KB
420 KB JPG
>>3690492
Thanks anons for answering all my questions while I was researching how to set up my first tank. It might be simple, I think it turned out great
>>
File: IMG_0398.jpg (401 KB, 2208x1188)
401 KB
401 KB JPG
>>3691403
whoops I forgot to rotate it
>>
File: IMG_0419.jpg (470 KB, 2208x1188)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
>>3691406
>>3691403
That was when I first introduced the fish, a week later, I can already see that the java moss has grown
>>
>>3691407
>>3691406
not half bad
I'd add some tall-ish plants in the back if it were mine, it looks quite empty with the see through backplate
>>
>>3691409
Are there any that can be planted in sand? Also this tank is in my dorm room, so I made it relatively easy to take down when I need to move in the summer
>>
File: IMG_20190518_173336929.jpg (208 KB, 1292x969)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>3691418
Anubias is both hardy and able to be planted in sand. Just don't cover the rhizome (Thick base part). Also technically Marimo Moss can be put on anything including a tank's bare bottom. I used some in this tank, but I flattened them.
>>
File: blasenschnecke.jpg (23 KB, 640x416)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>One step for snail, one giant leap for snailkind
>>
File: 20210218_164632.jpg (2.01 MB, 4032x1960)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
Houston fag here.
My entire tank got wiped out by the cold. Backup power supply gave out after 12 hours. Lost water pressure and couldn't do warm water changes anyway without burning all my cook stove fuel. Floating handwarmers in bags and wrapping towels wasn't enough after the apartment got down to the 30s after 2 days without power.
>3 honey gourami
>25 ember tetras
>10 pygmy corys
>6 khuli loaches
>16 galaxy rasboras
>an entire tank of high quality blue diamond shrimp
>most of my plants and all of my rare moss tank
I have power back now, I feel fucking gutted.
Literally 2 survivors
>1 nerite snail my wife named Claudine that has survived 3 years and 2 cross country moves
>1 galaxy rasbora
>all the fucking pest snails
>>
File: 20210219_004553.jpg (677 KB, 3226x1814)
677 KB
677 KB JPG
I couldnt tell if there was a faintest bit of green on my ammonia test. Did a 50% water change to be safe. Just tired right now. I don't know if should toss all if not most of my hornwort. They shed so much dead leaves and when i rubbed them so much fucking detritus came off.
>>
File: 20190918_210542 (2).jpg (2.45 MB, 4032x3024)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
>>3691495
Sorry to hear mate, that sucks major ass.
>>
>>3691495
That is really sad anon...
Idk what i would do in such situation - i dont even have any other way of heating besides electricity
Stay strong!
>>
>>3691495
god not the kuhlis
>>
>>3691495
God these are dark times
>>
>>3690889
hang on backs are usually marketed with snakeoil and all of the filter media except for sponges and aquaballs/rings or whatever are mostly stupid and useless. That said a good hang on back hotrodded with a big sponge intake cover and stripped of the stupid media they try to sell you cartridges for in favor of cheap reusable sponges is a solid way to offer heavy filtration to a small to mid sized tank without going into the heavy hardware territory of a canister filter or sump.
>>
>>3691495
snailchads winning as usual.
>>
>>3691495
Long live the snails!
>>
>>3691525
you should yeet some bladder snails in there, they'll do the cleaning for you
also the cutie on the left is looking plump, is it preggo?
>>
Is crushed coral a good idea to increase hardness in an established planted tank? I don't want my snails to die.
>>
>>3691789
I also have plants, will the crushed coral fuck them up?
>>
>>3691789
Maybe just start with a piece of cuttlebone and see how drastic the change is.
>>
>>3691794
Whats the difference between that and crushed coral?
>>
>>3691795
Just easy to pull a single piece in and out rather with faffing with the right amount of crushed coral in a bag. Chock full of calcium.
>>
>>3691800
Do I have to put it all in a bag? Can't I just take it out of the bag and add how much I want? I only want to put it in my filter so my snails don't die.
>>
>>3691802
Well to back up. Do you need it? What's your pH/kH? Do your snails have cracked/thin/malformed shells? what species?

Crushed coral is best laid out as a substrate, but I figured if you had a planted tank you wouldn't want to mix it in with the plant substrate if you don't know how much you need. A bag can go in the filter so it circulates quickly and evenly.

If you don't have a problem don't make one for yerself.
>>
>>3691804
6ph and 1dkh. Apparently thats bad for snails. I just got em so they still look ok for now. They're moving and eating algae. My aquasoil lowered the ph and I want to raise it back up for the snails but I'm worried if it will affect my plants.
>>
>>3691808
6 is probably low for most. I've not had problems with MTS or pond snails. As long as you raise pH slowly and incrementally everything in the tank will be fine. You only need to get it maybe up to neutral.
>>
>>3691652
The khulis and the pygmy cory cats made me the saddest. I actually hadn't seen the cory cats in months, so I assumed they had been whittled down to 1 or 2. Then I found 10 dead bodies.
>>
>>3691829
This is depressing to read
Tell us about your plans in regards to restarting the aquarium
>>
>>3691862
Well most of my Java ferns and crypts are alive somehow (or temp shock hasn't set in and all my crypts will melt by Monday, either way). Theres a lone CPD in the tank.
I'm thinking ill scrub it all down and really flush out all the hair algea. Then get my cpd some friends. After that, no clue.
>>
>>3691418
Just throw in some root tabs with the sand substrate. That's what I'm doing as a little experiment in my tank. Soil with a layer of sand and pea gravel on top and some root tabs for nutrients. I also dose twice a week
>>
>>3691495
Out of everything that's happening in Texas, my heart breaks most for fellow fish keepers. Sorry for the loss anon, here's to a more glorious and beautiful tank in the near future
>>
File: fish.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
So I have an approx 5 years old fancy goldfish who has recently developed red streaks on his tail and fins, kinda looks like they're bloodshot (like pic related but slightly worse).

He shares a 30 gallon with another goldfish. Water seems to generally be fine, very slight hint of ammonia, but his tankmate looks totally fine. He also doesn't seem to be showing signs of stress - he's eating and swimming about and recently bred with his tankmate.

Any idea what could be causing this bros?
>>
File: 4a4ff4f4r6ghdr5.jpg (61 KB, 1094x604)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>3691925
personally, i know very little about fish-diseases etc, and i hope someone else here can help you
but i advize you to spend a little time and create a thread on www.fishlore.com, specifically:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/forums/freshwater-fish-disease-and-fish-health.14/

and use their sticky emergency template
it would be a great shame to lose a 5 year old beauty like this
also, a quick water change never hurts anyone - just in case its something water-related
>>
>>3691767
It's a male dwarf gourami. He has a fungus ive been treating with pimafix for 2 weeks. I don't know what to fucking do.
>>
Just got a fucking massive Galapagos-brand sinkable driftwood for my 55 gallon tank, should I take any particular precautions before adding it?
>>
>>3692057
Boil it to ensure any parasites and bacteria are dead. It also ensures that it won't leach into the water and make it look like tea.
>>
>>3692057
High chances of it floating the first few weeks - ive used strips with suction cups to hold it underwater until soaked enough water
>>
>>3691925
from what i heard it's either bad water or lack of oxygen.
try adding an air stone or something
>>
>>3691925
watch for septicimia. section off a small corner for some floating plants. Alittle frogbit in a basket where the fish cant get to it goes a long way in controlling ammonia. You really want no ammonia
>>
How much nitrate is too much??
Specifically talking about a neocaridina shrimp tank
currently at ~20ppm, but it raises very slowly because of the fairly low bioload..
any recommendations for water hardness tests (KH and GH) while we're at it?
>>
>>3692063

Tea water is good for the fish desu
>>
>>3692075
I have several live plants and a bubbler, so it's unlikely to be lack of oxygen.

>>3692159
I can only assume it's the ammonia 2bh, will look at getting some frogbit. My guys had a water change today so hopefully that should help.
>>
>>3692063
boiling makes it weaker
tannins are healthy

>>3692057
Tie it to a rock or something if it floats, or to a slate that you can cover with gravel.
If it makes the water brown, Purigen will clear that right up.
>>
>>3690492
>Gold Twin Bar Platy Edition
My LFS couldn't give these things away for a little while. Always outcompeted by the regular assorted platies. Then they started calling them Pikachu platies & they've been selling like hot cakes ever since.
>>
File: STEEL.jpg (44 KB, 617x381)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
are the steel scrubbers fine for bio filtration? they seem to have a shit ton of surface area and i want to stuff them into the bottom of my HOB.
>>
>>3692063
>Not liking tannins
Smh
>>
File: 20210219_223735.jpg (82 KB, 629x722)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
HIS FUNGUS JUST WON'T GO!!!!!
>>
>>3692396
I'm not chemist, but if my experience with chromed suction cup hooks are anything to go by, they'll rust like fuck in no time flat.
Use inert materials, steel is not inert. Good logic, just not with steel.
>>
>>3692482
Parameters, whatcha treatin with?
>>
File: IMG_20210220_184235.jpg (477 KB, 1850x832)
477 KB
477 KB JPG
Snek
>>
File: IMG_20210212_143925.jpg (481 KB, 832x1850)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>3692533
Finally saw one of them using the underground coolzone.
They otherwise seem perfectly content with harassing my dwarf sagittaria.
>>
>>3692534
Adorable pic anon
>>
>>3691495
im sorry for your loss anon, i feel really fucking bad to read all your tank gone, stay strong
>>
>>3692551
I find kuhlis very cute. They're like snakes, but if they were underwater and half rats.
>>
I work for an industrial/commercial/private chemical supplier. I'm no chemist but I know the difference between hydrochloric and hydroflouric acid. Did some lazy googling for DIY parameter test kits but just a bunch of people complaining about PH strips and 50 goldfish in a 1L tank.

There's a lot of (speculative and very narrow) literature on ferts regarding chelated, aquaponics and the like, but fuck all I can find with actual fish being involved.
Chances are I can get the chemicals for a solution absolutely free, but yeah.
>>
>>3692482
its fucking green, that's moss. Do you have marimo in your tank?

have you tried salt dips?
>>
File: maxresdefault.png (1.3 MB, 1280x720)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>cory blocks your path
what do?
>>
>>3692698
Cory, go clean your damn tanks! And don't send your goldfish to do the job again!
>>
>>3692698
It's not a fish. It's not even about fish.

I really wish you'd stop posting about this guy personally. Tired of hearing about some dude being fat every thread. It is a non-contribution to my reading about / looking at fish for you to slag some dude that owns fish for being a lard barge. Kindly fuck off.
>>
>>3692724
get out of here cory
>>
Need some help /aq/

Texas bro here. Had no power or water since Monday. Electric is back on now. House temps dropped to 50 but luckily all my freshwater buddies are still alive. We are supposedly getting water back today but will be under a boil notice.

How should i go about taking care of this tank (125gal) since it went so long without filtration? Since ill be under a boil notice i shouldnt go about doing any water changes should i?

Thank you in advance for any help.
>>
>>3692793
I mean you'll just have to boil your water. But if your parameters are fine I'd just as soon hold off on a major water change and hopefully you can just gradually warm your tank back up with ambient heat.
>>
File: 20210220_092553.jpg (3.43 MB, 4128x3096)
3.43 MB
3.43 MB JPG
>>3692827
>hopefully you can just gradually warm your tank back up with ambient heat.
So far so good. House is back at 68F and tank is currently at ~65F. I dont run a heater as it always been stable with the homes heat/ac temps.
>>
>>3692840
I'd just as soon leave them alone for awhile, do a test to make sure nitrates are OK. At least the shifts up and down were probably fairly gradual given how large the tank was. If they do fine at room temp they probably wont be super negatively impacted by ~50ish for a day or two if the shift is gradual.
>>
>>3692879
Yes, the drop from room temp to 50 was over a course of a couple days and probably remained there for a close to 3 days. Just tested Nitrate levels, looks to be closest to the 40ppm mark.
>>
What’s the most compact but refillable co2 setup? I want to hide it in a relatively small cabinet, but I don’t want to be wasteful and use disposables.
>>
>>3692647
No its white. Algae simply begins to grow on it later.
>>
How many honey gouramis is too few? I bough six of them six months ago and was told I might lose some because I’d shit genetics and now I have four left
>>
>>3693015
*because of shit genetics
>>
>>3693015
Honey Gouramis don't need a school. I've seen them as solo centerpiece fish in nano tanks & they do fine.
>>
>>3691495
I can't even get my physa to stay alive, so quit bragging
>>
File: 20210220_150616.jpg (2.45 MB, 4032x1960)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
Texas cold snap/outtage killed all of the residents of this tank but left most of the plants alive.
Used to have ember tetras and blue neos in here. Whats should I do now?
>>
>>3693105
goldfish
>>
>>3693106
I dont hate myself, my plants, or goldfish enough to subject us all to it.
>>
>>3693108
well, at least they won't die during the cold
>>
>>3693111
They are durable bastards. I won one from a local fair which is what got me addicted to aquaria to begin with. He went from minnow sized and sick to 7 inches long and healthy in a year. Now he's got a good life in a pond.
>>
>>3693108
I mean, if we're talking only cold water for some reason, ricefish for calm. white clouds for exciting.
>>
File: 20-07-2013.jpg (317 KB, 1800x1400)
317 KB
317 KB JPG
>>3693105
rainbow darter
>>
>>3693115
Its a heated tank, but without power it was not a heated tank, ya dig? I'm still looking for warm water fish.
>>
>>3693118
Wouldn't they need a longer tank with almost a hillstream setup? This tank is pretty calm and low flow.
>>
File: 20210220_180916.jpg (537 KB, 2419x3226)
537 KB
537 KB JPG
Put the guy in a methylene blue dip to treat his fungus. Ill place him back in the tank after half an hour or if immediately if his behavior changes for the worse.
>>
>>3692647
>he doesn't know that marimo moss balls are actually covered in macro-algae
>>
>>3693201
I put it to you, anon, that you yourself are macro-algae.
>>
File: 20210215_222834.jpg (3.39 MB, 4032x3024)
3.39 MB
3.39 MB JPG
>>3690492
My "big mama" molly gave birth to like 50+ in September.. today I noticed she pushed out 7 more. They're getting big for their tank (29gal). Anyone from WI that want some?

Email me crystalguy91 at hotmail
>>
My fish just ate a tiny piece of bread, how fucked is she?
>>
>>3693245
Fine.
>>
>>3693245
Why you eating sammitches above your tank, anon?
>>
So I accidentally moved a piece of driftwood that was kinda half buried in my tank and it turns out that the fucking thing still floats. It's been in there for three months. What the shit??
>>
>>3693105
Fill it with like 50 micro crabs
>>
>>3693304
thai micro crabs are literally the fucking gayest species in all aquariums ever.
>>
>>3693315
They seem cool if you can actually see them
>>
>>3693326
they really aren't though, freshwater crabs almost all suck. If you want cool inverts that aren't cherry shrimp or snails, you pretty much have to go saltwater unfortunately.
>>
File: freshwater-pom-pom-crab.jpg (111 KB, 1024x768)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>3693331
Pom pom crabs are pretty cool.
>>
File: IMG_20210220_222839.jpg (2.02 MB, 3968x2976)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
Are my 'amano' shrimp boning?
>>
>>3693191
you should use salt instead, its much more effective than methylene blue
>>
>>3693105
Least killifish and pygmy sunfish.
>>
File: 20210221_010426.jpg (580 KB, 2419x3226)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
>>3693447
Well there you go! The fungus got stained. I hope it starts to go with a few more dips.
>>
>>3693245
your fish: mmm braed :D
>>
>>3693469
why not just take the fish out and brush the fungus off?

i actually did that with ich once and it worked
>>
>>3692396
I would try something like broken up volcano rock for that
>>
Just bought a fluval aquaclear for my 20 gallon. sick and tired of this shitty top fin. It overflows if you put any filter media thicker then the thin replacement cartridge. It's gonna be fun experimenting with all sorts of filter media that fits neatly in that basket and water is forced through it in one direction.

>>3693504
lava rock has far inferior surface area per cubic feet. plastic pot scubbies are king. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/beginners-guide-to-filter-media.88677/
>>
What's stopping me from having an x gallon aquarium with an sump large enough to never have detectable (within API limits) ammonia levels and avoid water changes entirely in regards to Amm/ite/ate levels?
Speaking more in terms of smaller tanks, where shitty HOB and intank filters can't really reach those levels of biological filtration, but even the big boiz do weekly/bimonthly water changes.
>>
>>3693469
>Methylene stains
My sides. First time I used that stuff (in a very heavily planted tank) it was completely cleared out in 24 hours and mysteriously, all my plants roots were green/blue.
>>
>>3693490
uhhhhhhhhhh cuz other ones would just grow back? and manhandling a 1.5 inch fish isnt the best idea?
>>
>>3693559
what cleared out the fungus? did you do a dip? how long was the dip?
>>
>>3693561
I ended up using a shitload of pimafix and it worked slowly over a week and a bit.
Depending on what other stock you have in the tank, should you go that route, is that most fish tend to panic when they detect the oil/medication. Some panic a bit more.
>>
>>3693562
I've been using pimafix for 2 weeks. I noticed he's lost some spots but also gained some. No fucking idea why he has fungus in the first place my other fish look perfectly fine. I hope this new aquaclear filter makes the water cleaner for him and helps him in general.
>>
>>3693369
Yeah this little dude is cool. Would be neat to have one.
>>
Just salt dip. plants and fungus die in salt. it's really that simple
>>
>>3693567
Shid, that's a long time.
Sorry friend, I'd probably just drain the tank and leave it to dry over a month and quarantine everything. Never done that before but yeah.
>>
>>3693570
Might do that again with methylene blue.. but i will need to do proper measurements. I have a 2 liter bucket how many teaspoons of sea salt should i add.

>>3693575
fungus isnt really transmittable fish to fish.
>>
>>3693580
LOIC BABY
>>
>>3693583
huh?
>>
>>3693560
just pluck them bro trust me
>>
>>3690509
Bettas seem really interactive and curious compared to a lot of fish. I dont currently own a betta but whenever I go to aquatics stores to get stuff for my goldfish I always go to look at the bettas because they’re just so fascinating to watch. I’m aiming to get one in the next couple of years.
>>
>>3690509
In my experience
Lots of large Cichlids
Goldfish
Gourami and bettas
>>
Finally a new fish in my tank after losing some over a month ago
>>
>>3693663
pretty sure those are rocks bro
>>
Tell me /aq/ are shrimp only tanks fun?
>>
>>3693672
small planted tanks like Amano did can be fun I guess but they get quickly lost in bigger tanks if watching them is what you're interested in
>>
>>3693668
One black oranda swimming in the bubbles
>>
>>3693676
"gardening" the planted tank also sounds nice
>>
File: 1565941811488.jpg (17 KB, 320x320)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>3691495
warm water fags btfo
BTFO
>>
>>3693115
>American reading comprehension
>>
File: 20190808_151940.jpg (928 KB, 2831x2412)
928 KB
928 KB JPG
>>3693760
Drunk Australian thank you.
>>
>>3693580
Just dump a liberal amount in there, he will be fine. I've seen videos on YouTube where the dump HEAPS of salt in to treat little mollies or whatever and they're fine. You can try and quarantine your plants before going for a salt treatment that way they don't get melted.
Also I think it should be noted that Gourami are apparently notoriously prone to disease. I just bought my first one 3 weeks ago and so far he's fine, but I keep my eye on the dude.
>>
>>3693767
Oh, well that's an improvement then. My apologies you beautiful drunk bastard
>>
File: cckjy.png (29 KB, 741x568)
29 KB
29 KB PNG
I have a 30 liter tank with 9 shrimps and a handful of trumpet snails at the moment, would it be ok to add some dwarf corydoras fish too? i'm worried about the bioload being too high for the small tank, especially when the snails or shrimp multiply
>>
>>3693672
They can be, I like the nano tanks scaped to look like landscapes with just a few cherry shrimp in there. More of an aquatic bonsai garden than a fish tank but its like a little scene of cows on a pasture or something.
>>
Planning on buying a house this spring. Going to do a full teardown and start from scratch. Best soil for doing a dry start no co2 planted tank? Also, are there any carpets I can grow without co2? I'll upgrade my light if needed, but I'd really like to avoid the co2 set up.
>>
>>3693863
the market is fucking horrific right now especially in the entry/value level. Everything around me is selling for 100k over list minimum and 'entry level' was already 400k-500k here. I am dealing with offering to pay 120k over list and offering to use cash to make up the difference between the bank appraisal/loan offer and sale price and I am being beaten by some fuck offering to waive their financial contingency with 150k over list price.

Chinese investors should be banned from buying property in the USA and Seattleites should be forced to fix their city before they are allowed to escape to the suburbs and ruin the rest of the state. Watching Seattle become a second Detroit in real time would be funny if not for the fact that I suddenly have to compete with people cashing out on their million dollar houses to buy a starter house in the suburbs.
>>
>>3693871
I know. This time last year I had my pick of plenty of houses that had everything I was looking for. But I wasn't quite ready to buy. Now, there's almost nothing.
>>
>>3693891
I made my entire plan in 2018 to buy in 2021. Guess I couldn't predict some chinaman would eat a bat and cause a pandemic
>>
>>3693770
I should also mention salt treatment has worked for me in the past and I don't base my opinion completely off of JewTube
>>
Does cheap food fog up your tank? I ran out of fish food and asked my housemate to grab fish food when she was at the pet store. She bought me some cheap food and now my tanks not looking so good.
>>
>>3693580
>>3693570
>>3693770
>>3694090
To put some ballpark figures, it'd take about 1 cup of salt to raise 5G to 1.010sg at 78F, which is bare minimum to kill off parasites. Mollies can be acclimated to a full 1.020 salinity quite easily for fish-only saltwater tanks.
>>
>>3694095
Yes, some cheap food can pollute more than others. But generally it shouldn't be a huge deal unless you have a lot of fish for your tank size and you're heavy handed with feeding.
>>
>>3694097
I meant two cups of salt. So, go nuts on salt.
>>
i lost power for nearly a week during the texas winter storm and my betta died but my mystery and nerite snails survived below freezing temps holy hell
>>
Anyone here ever kept seahorses? Everything I read about them tells me it's a bad idea but I'm still kinda tempted to try it for my new 30 gallons. I'd probably do some sort of planted macroalgae tank with seagrasses or something like this if I can find a place that sells them (corals are cool but overdone IMO).
>>
>>3693797
Yes it's probably fine. Shrimp bioload is pretty much negligible and snails even more so.
>>
File: HeLooksLikeThis.jpg (107 KB, 750x400)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
Do you guys have any recommendations for 5 gallon cube aquariums? I want to give my little guy an upgrade.
>>
>>3694125
Seahorses are like water chameleons, extremely stupid to care for and fragile. Low tolerance for error, picky eaters, have to be target fed multiple times per day because they're such poor swimmers that just putting food in the tank will make them exert too much effort. Also they're somehow shit machines despite not eating a ton of food and that combined with them not eating most of what you put in with them their water quality can fall quickly, AND they have bad gills so they will get fucked by bad water quality while they cause it.
>>
>>3694177
fucking hell lmao
>>
File: Stupid.png (1.92 MB, 1899x978)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
Why they do this
>>
File: 1611017464031.jpg (14 KB, 189x192)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>3694247
>animu.
>>
>>3694247
I don't get it.
>>
File: 1604885470473.jpg (106 KB, 649x695)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>3690492
i need sand-sifting freshwater critters
>>
>>3694390
Uhhhhh turtles.
>>
>>3694392
im already working on a water-trough project for that. im using a bigass glass jar that i over-filled with substrate. probably inverts but if i get creative and use my bog plants i could have a beta in it.
>>
>>3693730
Wow that's not nice. Also temps were dipping near freezing.
>>
>>3693797
Shrimp bioload is negligible. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>3694400
im into coldwater builds, and the weak will perish, winterchan is saving texans from liabilities. imagine having some useless eater in that situation.
>>
>>3694247
>>3694279
>undergravel filter
>ceramic rings substrate

that's rather unique to say the least
>>
>>3694125
Macro algae with seahorses instead of coral seems like a good idea. Unlike coral, the macro can help water quality.

I believe coralfish12g kept a nano seahorse tank with macro among his other nano tanks if you want to see an example, and he did it in a dorm room for years.
>>
>>3694409
planted saltwater is underated for saltwater but you're not going to outcompete freshies with that sort of aquascape, it's for if you have a sperg fixation that makes you a freak among reefers
>>
>>3690492
Is this convict a hybrid got her off Kijiji and she has a lot of iffy colours in her fins not sure if I should cull and order a pure one or not
>>
>>3694417
Not really interested in keeping honduran red points and everything I’ve read leads me to thinking she’s not full convict
>>
>>3694412
Not sure what that has to do with the above posts but okay.
>>
posted earlier but now im looking for suggestions.

any recommendations for my 10 gallon since my beta died? alls I got is a mystery snail and a nerite snail in there right now.
>>
>>3694458
a school of rummynose tetras, cherry shrimp and 3 kuhli loaches.
>>
>>3694247
what anime?
>>
Question for people who've used crushed coral/coral chips to increase hardness: How high will the kh/ph get? WIll it keep increasing until X ph, or will it go beyond that? I want to increase my sub-6 ph to somewhere near 7. Is it going to zoom past that, or does it depend on the amount you put in? I added a single coral chip to my hang on the back filter to test it out because my water is really soft for snails. I just want some calcium in there but I don't want to turn the water too hard because it might affect my betta. I'm monitoring the process so wish me luck.
>>
>>3694390
Malaysian trumpet snails
>>
>>3690509
Fathead/rosy red minnows un ironically have a lot of personality
>>
Rate my office aquarium. Im trying to get the shrimp to breed so i’m not changing the water very often. I only feed them a little, flakes and shrimp balls on monday thats it.
>>
>>3690492
Praise be
>>
Put the planks there so my sister’s cat doesnt break the glass lid. He’s only visiting for 1 week while she moves. Its fun watching him watch them.
>>3690509
For me, its the crayfish. Tons of personality.
>>
>>3694409
Yeah I'm pretty set on the planted macroalgae tank. Having second thoughts about the seahorses though since I don't have a ton of experience with saltwater tanks in general.
>>
>>3694854
imo not the best solution
it took my cat no more than a day to figure out how to lift the lid with her paws and stick them where the canister-piping goes in and out
and if your fish are careless enough to swim up to see whats going on - they will be an easy prey
keep your eyes on the cat at least, and dont leave it like this if you have to go to work etc
>>
>>3694465
Cherry shrimp with kuhli loach sounds like a bad idea imo
>>
>>3694850
Not a fan of the pvc pipes and whatever that plate looking thing on the left is aesthetic wise but other than that it looks pretty comfy.
You should probably add a few more tetras (I only see 2?)
>>
>>3694866
He isn’t interested in the tank at all interestingly. He stood on it the one time and then decided hed seen enough. I was just gonna keep him in my room while im away but after a few days im not even worried about it
>>
>>3694871
The plate is a schedule 80 pvc bolt flange. This is all stuff pipe and fittings salvaged at work. I find they make a great hiding spot.
Theres 3 tetras, iight get 2 more but i want to wait until ive had the shrimp breed successfully at least once. Not trying to sell them or anything i just want it to happen
>>
>>3694871
But yeah i think black ABS drain pipe like i have in >>3694854 looks a lot better but its problem is that it floats unlike pvc. I had to epoxy rocks inside the abs pipe to make it sink. >>3694850 isnt big enough for really large pipe anyways so i used some 1/2” pvc from work plus a few white fittings with clear pipe as you can see. What i really want is 316 stainless pipe but that’s a pretty penny. It will look great when i eventually get it though. In the future i will be using clear pvc for my filter system pipe fitting on large tanks i will get once i move (gonna do a huge north american native river tank) Its great for diagnostics and it looks cool. Its on mcmaster carr. My theme is always going to be pipes because thats my engineering specialty anon.
>>
>>3693730
Let me pick your brain. I want to do a huge tank full of stuff i catch here in Colorado. How do you keep the water cool? Thats my main question thx
>>
>>3693407
I dont think so. Crayfish bone face to face so id assume shrimp also do
>>
Do pest snails actually impact the aquarium in anyway, or do people dislike them because they're unsightly? I have a few that came in on plants.
>>
>>3694947
I dont get the hate for them anon. Like. Just pluck them out if you hate them so much.
>>
>>3694947
They have some pros and some cons.
Pros are that they break down waste very quickly, cons are that they can clog your filter.
>>
File: IMG_3866.jpg (834 KB, 2048x1536)
834 KB
834 KB JPG
hard to see, but mrs. shrimp is pregnant
what would you do with excess or poorly colored shrimp?
i don't really want to just kill them if the population climbs too high
>>
>>3695036
Eat them
>>
>>3695036
Buy a minnow it will eat
>>
File: 976b9d5a2b51a87a.png (191 KB, 832x627)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
back from the business trip
now my feet are smelly, /aq/
>>
>>3695087
welcome back froggy!
we missed you
>>
File: 1451246497689.jpg (240 KB, 965x999)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>3695114
well thank you!
>>
>>3692049
Get some snails ans ghost shrimp to clean the water. I’d get a better filter too - a Tidal 35 and maybe a scrubber pad
>>
>>3694172
Fluval spec V is good, or anything similar with built in filter. I put the heater in the pump side plenum, theres several ways you can set this style up
>>
>>3694947
Some species will eat your plants
>>
Guys, my female betta just wake up with a big belly.

I'm going the right things to treat, does a ph of 7.4 is really that bad for bettas?
>>
>>3695036
Get a small tank and put them in there and watch the weird color mutations that come out.
>>
File: red beta.jpg (185 KB, 2000x2000)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
Wanting to setup an aquarium. Have a 20 gallon tank available. its been probably 10+ years since i had a fish tank prior to moving. Always really liked beta fish but im wondering are they more of a fish you wanna keep on their own or are they ok with other fish?
>>
>>3695202
Don't worry about pH as long as it's stable.

>>3695209
Depends on the betta and what you want as companion fish but practically everyone in these threads that have bettas have them in community tanks.
>>
>>3695214
>Don't worry about pH as long as it's stable.
Well it's stables don't matter what i do the ph never goes fucking down.
>>
>>3695214
Alright. My old tank from years ago was something like 2 mollys, 2 iridescent sharks, 2 black tetras and usually 1-2 tank suckers and 1 algae eater.
>>
this is gonna sound stupid as fuck but can you guys think of anything I could set up or do to satisfy an aquarium itch without actually setting up an aquarium?
I've had tanks in the past and boy I loved them but I know if I actually tried to set something up now I wouldn't have the time or energy for it.
I just see these threads and I miss having an aquarium so bad.
maybe a tiny kit with some soft fake plants so I can get a little motion and water flow? a straight up artificial fish tank for like $20 off amazon? I'm looking at options but I'd love to hear ideas
>>
>>3695205
>weird color mutations
They'll just be brownish grey
>>
>>3694850
why do you have pvc pipes on your aquarium? other than that it looks nice
>>
>>3694947
most of people will hate them because they will overpopulate the aquarium rather quick, other than that, certain snails can eat up the flora of the aquarium
>>
>>3695087
oh its you frogman, how was your trip?
>>
>>3695256
- i like the look
- good hiding spots for animals
- available free
>>
>get off /aq/ for awhile since i didnt have an aquarium anymore
>come back
>the webm isnt posted
Damn. Did he died?

Also am I the only person who actually likes a little bit of algae in my heavily planted tanks? I just kind of like the way it looks.
>>
>>3695272
I like green algae but most of mine is fucking brown wtf anons. How do i get green algae
>>
>>3695219
just have a shrimp aquarium
>>
>>3695272
I like the green algae growing in my rocks and wood, it just grows and get thicker
>>
>>3695219
Do some ultranano 3 gallon with a small cherry shrimp colony with low light and super slow growing plants
>>
Spiderwood for Bettafish? Is it an okay choice?
>>
>>3695209
depends on the fish and how well planted your tank is, they behave best with a lot of line of sight breaks, with bottom feeders and with schools of mid-tank stuff.
>>
Anyone have idea about lake turtle? how to do it in winter? where i live it can go to 5C in some nights

>>3695378
>Spiderwood
Long fin beta? itt's a bad idea.
>>
>>3695378
As with anything, no sharp edges. A lot of spiderwood has torn ends and the 'base' isn't smooth either. Go over it with your hands, any sharp bits (also soft sharp bits, in case your betta ends up flashing on those areas) get the paper on its skin.
>>
File: 1598310791042.gif (897 KB, 224x233)
897 KB
897 KB GIF
I can't wait for my aquaclear filter to come. It will filter so much better than my shitty topfin one.
>>
>>3694867
they don't eat adult shrimp and will only occasionally snack on babies. which isn't a bad thing imo.
>>
>>3694435
you brought up an unpopular form of aquaculture where people know about it. people who also understand the psychology of people who like autistic hobbies like anime draw-fagging, home coding computer games and salt water aquaculture.
>>
File: 1606360250265.jpg (227 KB, 1332x850)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>3694409
im also going to question why you find it appropriate to refer to your reddit handle, faggot
>>
Is it bad that I just use a sponge filter
>>
>>3695615
What was Reddit in that post? coralfish12g is a reefer Youtuber that used to make Tutorials But now only does cringe Videos for Kids involving fish.
>>
>>3695219
>Anonymous
triops
>>
ok, I have a question.
I have a bunch of ember tetras.
they are bright orange and kinda see through.

but I noticed one of them isn't see through anymore, he is milky orange and starts to have a long black stripe in the middle, all the way to the tail.
color is like orange juice mixed with milk.

he doesn't seem sick, and swims around happily and eats normally.

should I drown him in the toilet, just in case?
>>
>>3695695
What species do you have in your aquarium and how big is it?
>>
>>3695783
Please don’t kill fish by drowning them in the toilet. At least give him a dignified, humane death using clove oil or something ffs
>>
>>3695810
well, I was half kidding,
to get rid of him, I plan to set him free in a local river, where he should be eaten by bigger fish, or lives a happy life until the end of days...

but is he a threat to my other ember tetras??
>>
File: 1598840028471.jpg (44 KB, 600x441)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>3695267
was great. i got the job! so i might be moving soon and finally have the place for the big tank that i wanted
>>
so i yeeted my male and female bettas in the same tank (female in a jar) but the beta male is not building a nest
what do?
>>
>>3695845
you have a beta betta
>>
>>3695265
snails are only going to overpopulate if you're overfeeding or have tons of algae relative to the tank's size. So basically the snail 'problem' scales to whatever other problem you have. The population is naturally self regulating.
>>
who's the worst, the goldfish police, the betta police or the axolotl police?
>>
>>3695935
The people who forced them to put the police hat on
>>
Adopted some bullfrog tadpoles. One of them is way larger than the other three. The owner was moving.

What am i in for?
>>
>>3696012
I used to catch these by hand in a creek near my house when I was a kid. Pretty fun. They didn't do well in a tank of tap water though. You probably won't have that issue. You're in for large and loud frogs.
>>
>>3696015
I have them in a 5g lightly planted tank that i cycled last month using some minnows. I moved the minnows to my mini crayfish tank and put these in. The bioload is huge though and im seeing some ammonia so im giving them mac dose of seachem prime. Im just feeding them algae pellets.

Tbh ill be looking for a home for them once theyre frogs. Theyre native to my area and wild caught so i might just let them go in spring
>>
>>3695783
still waiting for an answer...
>>
>>3695827
heeeey glad to hear man, cheers on your new job
>>
>>3696012
congratz you will be scared shitless whenever they start croaking
>>
Has anyone had fish just disappear? I got two Ancistrus (small ones) in October and a couple of days ago they just vanished. They aren’t in the filter and the only other fish are guppies. Haven’t found any corpses either.

Any ideas?
>>
File: image.jpg (2.24 MB, 4032x3024)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB JPG
Howdy fellas. New fish fiend checking in, about two or three months into it since I quit a dodgy vet to work at generic pet store.
Pic related is my first “proper” aquascape. It’s been set up for about three weeks, and seems to be growing well, but I keep finding myself wanting to rescape it daily as it seems a little rough around the edges.
I’m familiar with most of the common techniques, but if anyone has any critique or little tricks I’d love to hear em. Roast me like I know what I’m doing

Will reply with potatoe quality fish pics
>>
>>3696050
Not sure if it applies, I have a neon tetra that is slighty white. At first I thought it was sick, so I moved it out from the tank to be treated. After several weeks I saw no change, and the fish was fine, even gave it 30 minutes baths with all kinds of medicine. I realized this fish must have born with a white spot in his body.
>>
>>3695783
I have a fuckload of ghost shrimp and some of them are cloudy inside while most are clear. They behave no different so i wouldnt worry about it too much m8 its probably just pigmentation
>>
File: Alex Grey Black Sun.jpg (103 KB, 720x859)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>3695728
that changes things. i have fond nostalgic memories of watching inner city people make islands out of live-rock and wondering why the bonsai tree doesn't like saltwater.
>>
>>3693118
>rainbow darter
absolutely gorgeous, and i had to check if it's a tropical marine species. i might need to look back it Thailand's strange marine looking freshwater fish. they are like the untapped chichlid continent. i had plans to try breeding microcrabs in captivity before they sell them into extinction.
>>
>>3693125
i need a fast moving setup for a number of species im greedy for. i remember reading somebody managed to keep squid in an environment that sounded like a chemistry student got hold of a pressure cooker.
>>
>>3696110
I have the fish for 7 months, all looked fine, I was away for 5 days, come back, and one is milky colored, and has a black stripe.

I was afraid it's fucking fish corona aids~plague, so I thought about sacrificing him to the fishy gods, to save the rest of the ember tetra pack...
>>
>>3696100
my neocaridina shrimp are rather effektiv in vanishing a dead body, shrimp or tetra.

I see a dead shrimp, and plan to take it out later... its fucking gone the next day.
when a tetra fish goes missing, I never find a corpse...
>>
File: 20210117_225651.jpg (1.99 MB, 1960x4032)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
Found my first shrimplet today, he seemed quite grown but still very small so I am hoping the tank is suitable enough to sustain a colony now!
>>
Are shrimp actually worth keeping? They seem pretty boring
>>
>>3696195
Idk i like watching them they can be really active
>>
My female betta died. rip
>>
>>3696206
you must eat him now
>>
>>3696206
>>3696254
>female betta
>eat him
>>
anons,i want to have an aquarium of only shrimps, what would be a good size for having them?
>>
>>3696302
I like 5 gal tanks anon
>>
>>3696195
They can be pretty fun to watch depending on your tank setup. In a species-only tank or with super peaceful fish they'll be pretty active, swim around etc. but if you have any bigger fish with them in the tank they'll feel threatened and will just hide most of the time.
And they're pretty much at the bottom of the food chain so it doesn't take much to make them feel threatened. Mine went straight to hiding mode after I added honey gouramis of all thing.
>>
So I found a cheap aquarium chiller on a local craigslist-like website and I'm really tempted to buy it and set it up in my spare tank. I only ever kept tropical fish before but I kinda want to try something different. Supposedly this can chill the water down to about 5 degrees Celsius. What are some nice coldwater fish I can try? I'm open to either freshwater or saltwater.
>>
Have a 5g medium-heavy planted tank in which i had only shrimp until two weeks ago when I put betta in there. There were around 10 rcs that I could see there frequently until two days ago. Betta chased them around a bit for the first few days but then ignored them. Since Saturday though I could only see a few of the shrimp and today I could only see two males. Don't see any bodies around, what are the chances my betta is a nigger and ate them? I thought the shrimp were supposed to be good at hiding in heavily planted tanks.
>>
>>3696204
goddamn i love color morph cray-crays. my brother lost his setup cause he got sexually active normal colored ones i would breed for food and tried to do the "all natural" think instead of replacing his dead plants with a protein skimmer.
>>
File: bears.jpg (108 KB, 750x562)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>3696254
based.
>>
>>3696438
Theyre probably hiding anon. He may have eaten some
>>
>>3696454
Slightly confused. What happened???
>>
>>3696474
Hope so, one female was carrying eggs. I did a water change on Friday so I thought that could've killed them, but I saw 7 baby shrimp grazing on moss today, so my guess is it didn't cause harm.
>>
best red tail catfish alternative in terms of body shape and demeanor?
>>
>>3696424
White cloud minnows are a classic cold water fish, and very cute.
>>
>>3696474
Seconding other anon, probably just hiding. I had the same thing happen and a year later I still have 30+ shrimp and they've gotten brave enough to chill in the open even with the betta.
>>
>>3696302
For shrimp only tanks I go very small, 5 gallons or less.
>>
>>3696438
5 gallons isn't much space to evade, and some bettas are just niggerish that way.
>>
>>3694404
I imagine it'll be a lot like you when your parents kick you out.
>>
>>3696172
congrats!
>>
>>3694948
Ha ha yeah, just pluck them out. For the rest of your life.
>>
>>3696424
Orange Spot sunfish are beautiful and active, but are kind of mean. They top out at like 4 inches.
>>
>>3696652
- net some out during water change
- ????
- profit
>>
how little time can I give light to frogbit so it doesnt die? I dont really want to leave my aquarium light on while im at work most of the day
>>
>>3692482
Looks a lot more like a parasite to me than fungus.
>>
anons, would a 3mm glass would be enough for tanks up to 20-25L? or which mm would be better?
>>
>>3696717
3mm is probably overkill for a tank that small desu. It's more important to not twist the tank or lay it on an uneven surface.
>>
Anyone know what type of fish this is? I had a hitchhiker in a bag of fish I recently bought. Sorry for shit photo
>>
>>3696752
holy shit rip
>>
how smart are gouramis when it comes to identifying girl fish of the same species? my dwarf never gets colored up really good like he used to when i had a girl in with him but I got tired of him being an aggressive coomer shit when he actually mated. I had a stupid thought to give him a female betta gf or some other gourami or something to trick him into thinking he can woo a mate while not actually getting eggs.
>>
>>3696100
a fish sucked into the filter is gone a LOT faster than one that simply sinks to the floor. Look for a skull, not a whole fish. Also check behind the aquarium. If there's even a sliver of a gap in your lid, fish will find it and suicide
>>
>>3696752
kinda looks like a flying fox
>>
>>3696716
what kind of parasite could it be?
>>
>>3696752
>>3696846
they are excellent for algae control, work better is groups of 3 or more. iirc, they dont even harm other fish but they flick and spazz autistically in defense of a food source (algae wafer, shrimp pellet) so I wouldnt keep it if you have small, slow eating fish
>>
>>3696725
so its ok if its 2mm or even 1mm thick glass? i have some spare glass and want to see if i build a little tank for some cherry shrimps i have but i dont want the tank just bursting
>>
>>3696909
1mm would hold the water fine, but it will be very susceptible to torsional failure. Glass is strong, but brittle.

If it's just gonna sit in the corner well away from things, should be fine. That said, I don't think you can even get aquariums with glass that thin for just that reason. The losses on shipping alone would far outweigh the savings on material.
Just get the cheapest small tank you can get your hands on.
>>
>>3696108
It is kinda scary how Close to the glass that huge Rock on the right is, otherwise a neat looking scape.
>>
>>3696752
DUDE THROW IT OUT ASAP
>>
>Have laser pointer on side of desk (purple, totally not huge amounts of UV, 5mW or so)
>Accidentally brush a bunch of screwdrivers up against it while rearranging mad clutter
>Shines through a tiny bit of my tank
>Black neon tetra go absolutely ape shit, 2 hit the acrylic tank cover and one dazed in the corner
>Glowlights slowly going over for a peek
>Betta doesn't care
>Kuhlis nowhere to be seen anyway
Well fuck, whoops. I guess being sensitive to light that's to be expected, but why the disparate behavior?
>Shine IR gun into tank with the red crosshair
>Black neons pretend they can't see it
>Glowlights wanna make friends again
>Try purple again
>Black neons go ape shit again

Animal abuse aside, why they do that thing they did?
>>
>>3696752
>>3696850
Looks like a flying fox, which is almost identical to a siamese algae eater. Flying Foxes are aggressive and will tear fins and bite the eyes of other fish
>>
New thread >>3697252
New thread >>3697252
New thread >>3697252
>>
i dont get it
why is my betta not building a bubble nest and getting ready to get laid?
i have everything prepared like normal, the female is with him but separated, fed them a lot and there is no flow in the bowl they're in
i'm really worried about them, it's been two days like that and feel like a water change is necessary now but afraid it will ruin the project

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.