[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Welcome to /plant/, the happy green place on this blue board, where growers, gardeners and horticulturists share their love for things that grow.
Newbies and amateurs are very welcome, and we’ll always try to answer your questions.

>Flora of the World
http://www.worldfloraonline.org/

>Hardiness zones
https://www.plantmaps.com/

>Plant ID Sites
https://identify.plantnet.org/
https://wildflowersearch.org/

>Pests and Diseases
https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/plant-health-in-gardens
https://www.growveg.com/plant-diseases/us-and-canada/
https://homyden.com/garden-pests-diseases-directory/

>Thousands of Botanical Illustrations
http://www.plantillustrations.org/

>Succulents
https://worldofsucculents.com/
https://www.succulentguide.com/

>Carnivorous plants
https://botany.org/Carnivorous_Plants/
https://carnivorousplants.org/grow/guides

>Alpine plants
https://www.alpinegardensociety.net/plants/

>Ponds
https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/actions/how-build-pond
https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/

>Previous Thread
>>3673398
>>
Hello, and Bee Kind.
>>
File: cut.jpg (172 KB, 1253x1709)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>3682733 Shit, just as a new threat started, will re-post.

Possibly a dumb question. I have a dragonfruit plant that I've grown from seeds over the past few years, it's getting big enough to get cuttings that will be able to bloom and fruit eventually.

However, somebody told me that the fruit we buy at the market (where I got the seeds from, was having it as snack at lunch) are sterilized somehow so that resulting plants won't grow any fruit. Is that true? If so I shouldn't bother waiting for it to flower and fruit ever.
>>
>>3682724
>Are nurseries conspiring against the environment?
You thought nurseries even have a clue what they're selling in the first place? Half of them wouldn't even be able to tell you the genus, let alone the species. They just mass-produce plants to make a living, not because they're actually interested in them.
>>
>>3682735
>Is that true?
No.
>>
>>3682741
Is it true to any other fruit sold in a supermarket?
>>
>>3682737
Yeah, I've been naive. I'm never trusting online nurseries again unless they're highly specialized.
>>
>>3682746
I can't think of any fruit where that would be the case. Either there are no seeds in there, like in bananas, many new grape cultivars, many new citrus cultivars, etc, or there are seeds in there that will produce new plants that will, if given proper care, eventually set fruit. However, many commercial fruits won't grow true to type, meaning if you try growing seeds you got out of a delicious mandarin, the qualities of the fruits on the resulting plant will be random - they could be big or small, sweet or sour, juicy or dry, full of seeds or barren, depending on the genetics of the plant it was crossed with and on a certain randomness.
>>
>>3682775
The rumor I was told was that the fruit, before being shipped, was slightly radiated so that the seeds - while being fertile and growing fine - would have a very low change of ever flowering and yielding fruit to stop the competition. Doesn't sound that dubious to me knowing how large corporations treat their product. It would be no different from bio-engineering the fruit to have no seeds, for instance.
>>
>>3682786
Another anon but I guess they were talking about phytohormones. All fruits are heavily treated with them for various reasons but one effect is to prevent seed germination. It is more of an side effect tho and I dont think its done to prevent people from growing fruit as most of them are already patented and you cant grow them legally anyway.
>>
>>3682791
>one effect is to prevent seed germination
So considering they germinated and growing fine, would the tree come out normal?
>>
>>3682798
If the fruit is true to seed and the plant has the right conditions yes. Otherwise no. I think I heard dragon fruit is not but Im not sure.
I think the rumor comes from people not understanding what true to seed is and phytohormones are. Also countless things can go wrong when growing a plant from seed and eventually have it fruit. Most people just dont give the plants the right conditions and care.
>>
>>3682808
>true to seed
I don't know the expression, what does that mean? Do you mean just the random mutations occurring naturally to differentiate the child from its parent or is it something else?
>>
>>3682781
>another way
that's what the patchwork of forests and scrublands are for. obviously a tiny island can't be restored to it's former description but we can get "close enough" by restoring bits of land dotted around the country. gradually brits will eat less farm-raised beef and drink less milk as lab-grown meat and milk-alternatives get better. which means less land is used for cattle production so more land available for ecosystem restoration.
and no, it is extremely unlikely that farmland will be used to develop housing as cities will instead grow and then stop growing horizontally but rather vertically. I know london is supposed to stop at the green belt and recently those restrictions have been broken but I have faith our generation will stop this from happening in the future once the boomers (at least the bad ones) are out
>>
>>3682826
For example, if you plant seeds from a red delicious apple, the resulting tree with bear apples but they will not be red delicious apples. In fact the apples will usually be quite unappetizing.
>>
File: making-a-hybrid-plant.jpg (247 KB, 1200x2500)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>3682826
"True to seed" means that the progeny will be (nearly) identical to the parents. For inbred plants that are self-pollinated, the seed will be true to the parent because they tend to be homozygous for most of their traits. A lot of crops aren't inbred though, they're F1 hybrids (usually planted because of hybrid vigour), so they won't be true to seed
>>
>>3682852
>In fact the apples will usually be quite unappetizing.
So they wouldn't be that different from regular red delicious apples.
>>
>>3682852
Wouldn't you just get wild type crab apples?
Those are the best.
>>
>>3682852
>>3682856
I'm... not following neither the diagram nor the explanation. If the seeds aren't true to parent and yield bad fruit, why would they be used in farming in the first place? Do you mean to say the F1 generation will yield good results but planting that resulting fruit's seeds will actually yield shit? How do I know what fruit I shouldn't bother planting then (if I got it from the market), is it just a gamble?

FYI, some dragonfruit species are self-pollinating and some aren't, and of those that aren't some can only be pollinated from other dragonfruit species due to crossbreeding and hand-pollinating them is a fucking chore.
>>
>>3682862
No, but they would be similar in many ways. If that's what you want then go for it.
>>
>>3682863
F1 hybrids tend to have hybrid vigor and are more robust and yield more fruit than their inbred parents. Look up heterosis. You have to remember no one cares about the seed from these plants, just the fruit
>>
>>3682863
>Do you mean to say the F1 generation will yield good results but planting that resulting fruit's seeds will actually yield shit?
Yes, and not always shit, but it'll be a gamble.
>>
I wanted to grow a clivia miniata from seeds but I didn't realize the weird rose-breeder boomers had their claws in this plant as well. Does anybody know where I can find seeds of a basic ass clivia?
>>
File: PXL_20210211_181133639~2.jpg (963 KB, 1768x2450)
963 KB
963 KB JPG
Does anyone know what this is on the bottom of my leaves? I was just dealing with some aphids and noticed the bottoms of some leaves are sort of rough. Is this because of aphids or something else I should be worried about?
>>
File: file.png (1.66 MB, 1024x683)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB PNG
God bless the chicory tribe
>>
>>3682863
Fruits that arent true to type are cloned and not grown by seed. Apples and Avocados are mostly grafted for example to ensure the same fruits.
You can still grow these seeds, but dont go in expecting a delicious fruit similar to the one you got the seed from. You might hit the jackpot tho and get an even better fruit out of it. I think the Hass avocado was originally a tree planted by the daughter of a farmer in their backyard. She convinced her dad not to cut it down as she liked the fruits. Other people agreed, they patented it and now you can get fruits from clones of that tree all around the world.
>>
>>>/out/hgm
>>
File: 1609050824925.gif (120 KB, 463x703)
120 KB
120 KB GIF
>Been cloudy for a week
>muggy and warm af for the last week
>Thought winter was essentially over
>"lolno"
>Cold front comes in that so blasted cold that half the state is -15C
>tfw it's anywhere between 2C to -2C
Sure glad I fertilized my plants last week when the weather forecast didn't say jack about it.
>>
>>3683316
imagine fertilizing in winter
>>
File: 20210129_102049.jpg (1.17 MB, 1336x752)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
can anyone identify?
>>
>>3683331
Albizia julibrissin?
>>
>>3683341
>native to asia
no, this is south america
found growing in the wild
>>
>>3683350
but yeah probably an Albizia, just not this species
>>
>>3683328
It was Spring like weather for 2wks anon.
>>
>>3683352
should look in the genus calliandra instead, those are the new world species
>>
>>3683350
it's an invasive species found throughout the southern united states, so it could possibly be growing in the wild in south america too. but I'm not a tree expert, just throwing out a guess because they look very similar to me
>>
>>3683358
It's February
>>
File: 20210129_102039.jpg (1.41 MB, 1336x752)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>3683371
the flowers look almost exactly the same but the leaves threw me off
>>
>>3683376
And Houston gets warmer than than the rest of the US.
Jeez anon.
>>
File: 20210123_173704.jpg (1023 KB, 635x1128)
1023 KB
1023 KB JPG
>>3683378
I also didn't find any reference to Albizia julibrissin being present in my country so I'm going with Calliandra. Thanks, anons.
And while we're at it, can anyone try and guess what this is too? They're very common here and look to me like some sort of rosemary but I'm not sure.
>>
>>3683382
Next you'll tell me it's unusual to get warm spells in winter in Houston because it's not like the rest of the US.
>>
Who else here /gnetohyte/?
>>
>>3683390
>Supposed to get 18F over the weekend
ooohhh, I think it's fair to say that Houston weather is mercurial.
>>
>>3683395
My Welwitschias will probably germinate by May
>>
I left a small bag of soil open for a few weeks, when I got some soil out I found small pink worms in wet clumps of dirt. The dirt was left moist for that time. I thought plant soil was sterilized - are these gnat fly worms that laid eggs there, or what could they be?
>>
>>3683408
>sterilized
>open for a few weeks
pick one
>>
>>3683410
I mean, eggs don't come out of nowhere. I had a lot of gnat flies around lately and was wondering if they were the source. We doesn't dirt in pots with plants get worms?
>>
>>3683387
looks like a vernonia
>>
>>3683460
hmm the flowers again look similar but the buttons are different and the leaves look nothing alike
I think it's a Baccharis desu
>>
>>3683443
Dirt in pots is full of worms and other organisms.
It's why you should avoid planting things in old and used soil.
>>
>>3683826
>full of worms
I have never in my life emptied a potted plant and found worms.
>>
>>3683843
You aren't paying attention then.
>>
>>3683847
I'm not in the habit of emptying pots at night in a dark room with a blindfold on. If all your house plants have worms in their soil you should consider buying your soil elsewhere.
>>
>>3683850
You never said you were talking about houseplants. Try to be clearer in future.
And it's your soil with worms in it, not mine, so maybe take your own advice.
>>
Looking to reshape/revamp an existing flower bed that's in pretty bad shape. I'm an amateur though, any tips or ideas on how I could go about it?
>>
>>3683892
Start by removing the old plants, and then afterwards replacing them with new plants.
>>
>>3683898
Thanks dude. Really helpful. Anyone have any actual advice for me? I've never done this before and have no idea what to do or what to use even.
>>
>>3683900
You said you are an amateur so I was starting with the basic concepts.
But seriously, some elaboration on your part would be helpful.
Details such as the size and shape of the area, and what existing plants are there.
The light aspect and soil conditions if possible.
>>
>>3683900
With gloves: Rip out old small parts you don't like and get rid of them
With shovel and maybe pruners: Rip and dig out old big parts you don't like and get rid of them.
With fork and shovel: loosen up the soil, break up dense soil parts, maybe add new soil, make it all a bit more fluffy
With hands: Mix seeds with sands and put mix on the new flower bed or plant baby plants directly. Read the papers that come with the package to decide in which month/temperature you should do this
With rake or hands: Work the seeds into a thin earth layer
With waterin can: water a bit to get the seeds stuck

Or just post pictures of the thing and area around it and what kind of plants you'd like there, wait for specific instructions.
>>
File: 1613140466114.jpg (2.54 MB, 2088x3184)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
hi /plant/
see, I ordered a pilea peperomioides online a few weeks ago. I live in southern yurop so we don't usually get below freeze temperatures, but it did happen while the pilea was in transit. My city got the worst snowfall in decades and I'm pretty sure the pilea spent some lightless days freezing in some dumpster. This kills the pilea.
Its leaves turned black and fell off. However, the little sprouts at the base are growing. I was thinking about cutting off the main stem, but I noticed some green dots all over it and I'm not sure anymore. Are these new leaves in the making? pic related is the pilea
>>
File: IMG_20210212_151910.jpg (1.94 MB, 1753x3542)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>3683961
and the little dots
>>
>>3683961
>>3683963
Trim it down by two thirds, above some healthy buds.
>>
>nepenthes still not arrive for 4 days
will they survive?
>>
>>3684048
Most non-succulent plants can take about 2 weeks in transport, though by the end of those 2 weeks they'll need a lot more time to recover. Some Nepenthes (like the ones with sturdy leaves, e.g. N. truncata) are tougher than others, though, and of course it also depends on how big the plant is - a large Nepenthes can take quite the beating. You don't need to start worrying just yet.
>>
planted some basil seeds for the first time (in the pot on windowsill)
>>
>>3684245
Nice, I just started my basil too. Basil bros unite.
>>
File: 20200913_184913.jpg (3.59 MB, 4032x3024)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB JPG
I'm missing green nature so I'm gonna post some of my NA temperate orchids blooming. If you all have any questions on their cultivation, feel free to ask.

Spiranthes cernua, a fall-bloomer
>>
File: 20200703_173829.jpg (2.51 MB, 4032x3024)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
Elepogon Carson Whitlow. This is a rare one, and a gift from the founder of modern-day Cypripedium cultivation. I think there's not even a handful of people who grow this cross.
>>
>>3682729
How long do y'all usually leave pots submerged in water to rehydrate the soil?
>>
>>3684705
Until the bubbles stop.
>>
File: 4ulwTcM.jpg (27 KB, 630x486)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>11F come Monday
Jesus Christ, at least my fly traps will be dormant!
>>
I've been out of the loop for a while, is there a new /an/cord? My yuzu has broken dormancy and I want to brave about it
>>
>>3684443
Nice, do you treat them the same as sarracenias?
>>
is there something like the dewy decimal system or isbn system but for seeds?
>>
File: pitangatuba.jpg (22 KB, 400x400)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
i managed to get a seedling of this last year (eugenia neonitida, the rare eugenia). Why do these things grow so slow? 2 year old seedling is like 10cm
>>
I'm in a new apartment and the natural light is not that good.
So to keep the plants alive I've been thinking of artificial light.
I already own good rgb lights, so that covers the blue and red spectrum since that's how led colors work for white light.
But then I also need infrared light of some sort, correct? How much in comparison to the white light luminance?
>>
I'm breaking up some of my concrete paving since it's already broken and found 1 inch thick tree roots growing right underneath, which are from my large tree. If I remove all the concrete and just sow wildflower seeds on the exposed earth will the roots become damaged? or should I put a thin layer of topsoil first and then sow the seeds? although I'd like to keep the soil nutrient level as low as possible to aid the wildflowers
>>
>>3686462
The soil is going to be shitty under there, you will have to amend it.
>>
>>3685929
yes it's called binomial nomenclature
>>
>>3686669
yeah but wildflowers like shitty soil
>>
>>3687286
Soil from beneath the concrete is not favorable for any kind of plant. It's compacted and barren beyond any top soil because it's sub-soil, it's not meant to be grown on
>>
>>3687565
oh that sucks then
>>
File: plant.jpg (1.12 MB, 1988x1499)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
>>3682729
Anyone knows what's that?
I only know it belongs to Orchidaceae.
>>
File: P1000665.jpg (3.74 MB, 3840x2158)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB JPG
the school I live next to cut down some large trees in their grove today for reasons unknown to me. can someone identify them for me please? I only had the bark and some twigs to work with but the british tree identification app was useless. fwiw they were very tall and I'm going to find out why they got rid of them. they were deciduous too

apologies for what may come across as image spam

>this is a photo I took in autumn which highlights some of the trees felled today
>>
File: P1000785.jpg (3.9 MB, 3840x2158)
3.9 MB
3.9 MB JPG
>>
File: P1000786.jpg (3.52 MB, 3840x2158)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>
File: P1000792.jpg (3.63 MB, 3840x2158)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
this one was cut a while ago but I'd still like to identify it
>>
File: P1000793.jpg (3.63 MB, 3840x2158)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
>>
File: P1000795.jpg (3.85 MB, 3840x2158)
3.85 MB
3.85 MB JPG
can see the growth rings in this one
>>
File: P1000797.jpg (3.88 MB, 3840x2158)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB JPG
>>
File: P1000798.jpg (3.66 MB, 3840x2158)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
was this one diseased?
>>
File: P1000799.jpg (3.65 MB, 3840x2158)
3.65 MB
3.65 MB JPG
and that's it. it's an absolute shame this happened and I hope to god they get replaced
>>
>>3687638
Continent?
>the british tree identification app
I assume europe.
Looks like a Salix for me.
Any more details? Is there a river nearby?
>>
>>3687656
This one used to be twin trunked. The outer trunk grew out and around what was at the time of cutting the mostly dead trunk. Not diseased, and not a problem in the long term, though more prone to being knocked over in storms.
>>
>>3687653
This one looks like Betula pendula.
>>
>>3687638
>they were very tall
May be also some species of Populus.
>>
>>3687669
the UK
there's a canal about 150 metres away and at a lower elevation otherwise it's just a tree grove in the middle of the suburbs
>>3687671
that's interesting thank you for the details
>storms
that tree has been here for a very long time and we're very inland so 65mph is the max and that's very rare
>>3687680
thought it was silver birch. why the hell did they get rid of it, it's on the edge out of anyone's way too
>>3687691
hmm if they were black poplar then that's even worse. although the buds don't seem to match.
I know it's not very clear but zooming in shows the ovoid, alternating buds
>>
>>3687705
>thought it was silver birch.
Betula pendula = silver birch
I'm using latin names because I'm unfamiliar with English names.
>why the hell did they get rid of it, it's on the edge out of anyone's way too
They had their "reasons".

>although the buds don't seem to match.
It really depends. Check out Populus alba, it doesn't grow in UK, but it has a bark somehow similar to Betula pendula. The question is: were the leaves green on both sides and small? By small I mean about 4cm x 5cm.
Betula pendula isn't a really tall tree.
>>
File: Rose.png (3.55 MB, 1548x1548)
3.55 MB
3.55 MB PNG
This is a rose from my garden.
>>
>>3687747
Australia?
>>
>>3687756
America
>>
>>3687758
Oh my, I'm surprised that your rose isn't frozen..
>>
>>3687718
yes the white bark tree is betula pendula but that was one of the smaller trees. the tall ones had black/brown bark shown in the other photos, those are the buds I'm talking about. I was never able to get a close view irl but from what I remember the leaves were green however no idea of the size and such. unfortunately zooming in on >>3687638 gives the only detailed visual information
>>
Who here has native honeysuckle in their area? I’ve wanted to try growing L. hispindula but it seems like no one has bothered to propagate it so might have to take a countryside hike and find some and maybe make clipping off of it.
>>
There is also the L. ciliosa, which I’ve seen a couple for sale before, but no where near as prominent as L. japonica or the ‘Major Wheeler’ honeysuckles
>>
File: IMG_20210215_180009~2.jpg (1016 KB, 1655x2359)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
What species of flower is this?
>>
>>3686805
?is there not an easerway to store seeds in a personal seed library?
>>
>>3688026
giant hogweed
>>
>>3688026
Englemann's pair-o'-nuts, named for the unique touple anthers
>>
>>3688144
what would be easier than that?
>>
>>3687839
I took a cutting of my native lonicera reticulata from a bluff by a river. It was quite a scene with many viburnums, roses and honeysuckles all blooming at once, at a time in the mid summer when most other flowers were either done or still growing
>>
>>3688162
um what if there are diffrent varietys of the same plant?
>>
>>3688294
Plantum somethingum 'Variety'
or
Plantum somethingum var. somethingum
or
Plantum somethingum ssp. somethingum
or
Plantum somethingum f. somethingum
>>
File: IMG_wvryu2.jpg (948 KB, 4608x2968)
948 KB
948 KB JPG
Who here is guilty of variegation? Post your variegated plants
>>
>>3688395
>Plantum somethingum var. somethingum
i like this one,thank u fren
>>
hello im looking for seeds of plants,not just simple things like tomatos core or house plants,im looking for seeds that are actully what they say they are not just some idiot online who knows nothing about botany,im wondering how scientist get seeds from special plants like ferns grasses,liverworts,algee/lichen and other seeds like wild plants,that arent sold in traditinal seed companys,
>>
>>3689418
They're all used for different purposes, though.
>>
>>3689464
what? can you please explain?
>>
>>3689421
Ferns, green algae, and liverworts don't reproduce by seeds so you won't be able to find those. Scientists that do research on rare plants typically work in the region where those rare plants live, so they can just go out and collect seeds if they need to do studies on things like germination for specific plants. A lot of plant research I've seen actually uses the seed packs you literally just go to the hardware store and buy desu

If you want access to rare plants, you gotta have an idea of what you're looking for already, there's no specific seed source just for rare plants in general. Join Facebook groups for specific families or genera of plants (e.g. Aroid Collectors or whatever), plenty of autists there breeding uncommon plants. Join an international/national plant society like Bromeliad Society International, a lot of them are for specific families and have seed banks with plants that you rarely see in cultivation. Or literally just go on eBay, if you're not completely retarded you can figure out who's legit real easily.
>>
>>3689477
http://theseedsite.co.uk/class.html
Good theoretical explanation of taxonomy here, in reality systematics is a huge mess. Only thing it's missing is subspecies which should go between species and variety and is typically applied to populations of the same species that are isolated geographically and are different enough to justify calling them two different subspecies but not enough to justify species classification. There's no real cut-off, though, it's literally all made up and just agreed upon by consensus and shit changes all the time.
>>
>>3689514
>and liverworts don't reproduce by seeds
>>3689514
i know but im looking for all plants to i need to get acurate names and plants,not some retarded botanical somebrain who labeles a liverwort as a horwort or a pine as a juniper
>>
>>3689530
tanks fren
>>
>>3689535
sober up, bud, and try posting again when you can make some sense
>>
>>3689540
im clear i want accurate names for the seeds and what i dont want is botany misidentification
>>
Get a load of this Dunning-Kruger sufferer who thinks they can improve taxonomy even though they had never heard of it two days ago.
>>
File: Holm's Ragwort-52.jpg (147 KB, 480x640)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
Is the alpine autist still around?
>>
>>3689530
>There's no real cut-off, though, it's literally all made up and just agreed upon by consensus and shit changes all the time.
Well put.
>>
I purchased a Kratom plant and need to re-pot it now in proper soil. I bought pic related; am i supposed to use a liner or something with these or should i just put the soil directly into it? How should I remove the plant from its old plastic pot without damaging it?
>>
This is the Kratom plant for reference.
>>
>>3690465
lmao niggas got 2 leaves
>>
>>3690466
Yes a lot of them were trimmed prior to shipment. Also the leaves get you high so they get trimmed for consumption purposes as well quite regularly
>>
>>3690465
imagine paying money for that
>>
>>3689647
>http://theseedsite.co.uk/class.html
hey nigger im not trying to improve anything.im trying to organize my garden seeds
>>
>he grows plants for food
>he grows plants to get high
>he grows plants because they look nice
>he grows plants for any utility whatsoever
not gonna make it
>>
File: muh seeds.jpg (2.68 MB, 2672x2004)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB JPG
Hey, growing these flowers alongside my /hgm/ crops and herbs this year for attracting the pollinators and such (but also because they look pretty). Was wondering if anyone here had any direct experience with any of them for some tips and tricks.

Talking about the stuff on the right side here.
>>
>>3690534
Forgot to mention that the flowers (excepting the sunflowers) will be going into pots. Not enough room in the garden ground for anything else but the crops.
>>
>>3690517
cope
>>
>>3690517
What do (you) grow plants for then, genius?
>>
>>3690537
>>3690800
I simply grow whatever seeds I happen to stash in my pockets when I go out
>>
File: Euphorbia stellata.jpg (53 KB, 450x600)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>3690517
I grow ugly and bad-tempered Euphorbiae.
>>
>>3690949
>bad-tempered
How?
>>
>>3691033
Spiky and a toxic irritant for sap.
Dies if you show it any kindness.
>>
>>3691035
>Dies if you show it any kindness.
This is true for most plants, though. The most common reason plants die is because people try to care for them too much, particularly by overwatering. Just leave them alone and they'll be happy.
I work in a garden center and you wouldn't believe how many times I've had this exact conversation:
>Does this plant (succulent) need a lot of water?
>No, absolutely not, you should water it very sparsely, only if the soil is completely dry.
>Okay so once a week then?
If they consider watering once a week to be watering 'very sparsely', what the hell do they do with their non-succulent plants? Permanently submerge them in an aquarium?
>>
>>3691060
my orchids get too dry with once a week watering (soaking), even the ones in sphagnum. I think once a week watering is actually pretty sparse. but really depends on the humidity level and the plant
>>
>>3682729
What do y'all do with the water that drains from your potted plant?
>>
>>3687839
it's a "nuisance" here in Ohio; you find it all along the sides of roads in ditches. I took several clippings last summer but only one took off. this shit is going to go crazy once Spring hits.
>>
>>3692240
Throw it down the drain. What else is there to do with it?
>>
>>3692268
You're thinking of L. tatarica or japonica. There are lonicera species native to Ohio
>>
>>3690949
I just got a euphorbia platyclada, ugly plants are the best
>>
File: plant.jpg (229 KB, 1200x900)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
Sup, concept artist here working on a scifi game set on another world. Can you think of any obscure visual oddities from plant life I can rip off/be inspired by for my alien landscapes? Im sick and tired of madagascar trees and carnivorous plants.

Posting example pictures is strongly encouraged.
>>
>>3692347
African plants in general. Especially mesembs, agave, shit from the Congolese jungles and kapok trees.
>>
>>3692347
Euphorbia inflorescences are pretty strange looking, and most people won't be familiar with them, so maybe they are a good model for some alien flowers?
Fenestrated (windowed) plants such as Conophytum are very weird as well imo.
Maybe some orchid-like plants that mimic the alien animals?

Also, have you considered using the climate and environment of your alien world as a starting point and designing the life forms as if they have adapted to it?
>>
>>3692347
>that pic
IT'S A FUCKING LANGOLIER
>>
File: IMG_0915-2.jpg (1.53 MB, 3521x2347)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB JPG
>>3692347
Anigozanthos manglesii
>>
>>3692347
Bulbophyllums can be pretty interesting for orchids
>>
>>3692347
Also, try taking a look at some paleobotany. Here's Cooksonia, could take a look at Aglaophyton, Lepidodendron, plants that developed before they figured out the whole "leaf" thing, Prototaxites (not a plant, but a weird fungus from the Devonian period)
>>
>>3692347
>>
>>3692347
Eriogonum inflatum
>>
>>3692347
Mistletoe cactus
>>
>>3692347
Also Parasitaxus, the only parasitic species of gymnosperm.
>>
File: Pholisma sonorae.jpg (464 KB, 1024x718)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>3692347
And Pholisma sonorae, probably the weirdest fucking plant ever.
>>
is ok to store my seeds in a druggiest fold
>>
>>3692347
Thismia spp.
>>
>>3692347
Balanophora coralliformis
>>
>>3692347
Burmeistera sp.

>>3692519
Depends on the plant in question, anon. In general, I'd say yeah if you keep it in a dry and cool area, but if you keep it for too long before planting you may get bad germination rates
>>
>>3692347
Edithcolea grandis
>>
>>3692347
Maihuenopsis clavarioides f. cristata
>>
File: IMG20210220150932.jpg (2.83 MB, 4608x3456)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
>>3684205
you're right. They came just fine, I finally got myself a sumatrana but the pitchers started to die and new leaf started to grow.

Here's a bonus H. zebrina flower
>>
>>3692240
I've got plates full of expanded clay under the pots. I live in a very dry place so the excess water gives some extra humidity to the plants as it evaporates.
>>
>>3692623
imagine the smell.
>>
>>3692864
it doesn't really smell, unlike Stapelia
>>
>>3692623
Very nice.
>>
Any youtubers to watch for /plant/ content?
>>
>>3693035
I like the channel crime pays but botany doesn't. Sometimes he's libtarded but I still like him
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 456x549)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>yfw people call their plants 'he' or 'she'
>>
>>3693035
For houseplants in general:
VoodooGarden (and his main channel Praxxus55712 for /hgm/ content)
Summer Rayne Oakes has some great plant tours in botanical gardens and such.
I find that most other hosts are either obnoxious or they don't really know anything about plants. Somehow all of them have the exact same plants, yet none of them have ever grown anything from seed or taken care of a plant for longer than a year. You see all these hosts of big channels with lots of huge, luscious plants, but it's always the same shit, they just bought those plants when they were already huge and luscious. Everything about them is just fake and unworthy of your attention.
There's specific channels for all sorts of plants, but you'll probably be able to find those by yourself if you need to.
>>
>>3693035
Desert Plants of Avalon
https://www.youtube.com/user/heartfullofhappiness
>>
>>3693072
I like his accent and way of seeing things. What with his guerilla planting where the local government didn't do enough.

>>3693122
The first video I checked out from voodoogarden was very nice.

>>3693180
Lovely atmosphere in those videos.
>>
File: A_konjac-leafingout.jpg (88 KB, 530x278)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>3692347
The genus Amorphophallus is one of my favorite genera just for the leaves themselves. I love how other-worldly the leaves look. The flowers are equally striking and highly varied. They smell godawful too because they are pollinated by flies and carrion beetles.
>>
File: 20210216_210004~2.jpg (1.84 MB, 3024x4032)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
I had some ghost ants pollinate my Myrmecodia tuberosa and my first berry ripened about a week ago. The seeds sprouted in 3 days, which is in line for these plants. I did have to put them in the incubator with my Anthurium scandens seedlings due to a lack of space on my windowsill. I just find it funny that they are basically just a caudex attatched to a radicle at this stage.
>>
>>3693035
Cactus Caffeine, Desert Plants of Avalon, Cactimania and, Growing Succulents with LizK (though she can be a tad annoying and her succulents are mostly echiverias) for cactus info.
Nigel Saunders for Bonsai tips.
Cinescaper, Serpa Designs, 비오토프 갤러리 biotope gallery, 植物男子 Asu for comfy biotope videos.
ネアちゃんねる(if you want some funny and informing videos about carnivorous plants in Japanese. Though, it looks like Fuuko is just streaming videogames lately), Sarrecenia Northwest and some of Redfern Natural History Production's videos are pretty good for carnivorous plant content.
Gardener Jeb is good for hydroponics and humor.
I really like Crime Pays Botany Doesn't content. But, he can be really overbearing with his social commentary at times.
>>
>>3693122
>Somehow all of them have the exact same plants
It's always philodenrons, Hoyas or some aroid. I gave watching a lot of house plant youtubers cause they had House plant tour! 300+ plants!!! and then months later, they post a video about being overwhelmed about the amount of plants they have.
>>
File: 2094781908.jpg (210 KB, 1328x747)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
Howdy!
Does anyone know of any /plant/ related discord servers? The old /an/cord got nuked for some reason.
>>
>>3693317
Just use the thread
>>
>>3693072
>he's libtarded
Not really, he's just sensible
>>
>>3693338
>he thinks libtards are sensible
>>
I just transplanted my plant from a smaller pot to a much larger pot with new soil and everything. How much was I supposed to break up the soil prior to putting it in the new pot? I basically tapped the edges to knock loose a few clumps and just stuck the bulk of it right in the middle of my new pot.
>>
>>3693337
This.
>>
>>3693337
182 pbp
>>
>>3693101
>he cant talk to his plants
>>
>>3690534
go to /out/ and to /hmg/ the /plant/ faggots here now nothing about real plants
>>
>>3693419
Well it's too late now anon...
>>
>>3693317
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>3693568
You will never be a real woman.
>>
>>3693419
You did fine.
It's good to knock off some of the old soil and loosen up the roots, but also try not to disturb the roots too much.
But it also depends on the plant and some tolerate disturbance better than others.
>>
File: pond.png (42 KB, 1408x1406)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
can someone draw where I should place my bog area/grow bog plants around my kidney-shaped wildlife pond? the frogs are likely to come from the top end of my garden as there is a gap there, so do I grow the bog plants at the end of the pond or all around the outline?
>>
>>3693688
Bog plants go around the margins of the pond where the soil is always damp.
If your pond is artificial with a plastic or concrete lining you are unlikely to have this.
>>
>>3693688
As the other anon said, bog plants should be distributed around the pond if the water is not isolated from the soil.
If it is but you still want bog plants you can place a second liner near the pond and bury it entirely, so that it can retain moisture underground.
>>
File: pond2.png (55 KB, 1408x1406)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>3693689
>>3693697
uhh so my pond will be dug out from soil and I will use a flexible pond liner, no artificial containers. so I should dig out a rectangle, then dig out the actual pond, make a soil boundary following the kidney outline, then spread the liner all across, and then put soil back where the bog plants will be?
the red is the bog area + liner
>>
>>3693705
The easiest solution would be to make the bog separate from the pond.
Just cut a piece of excess liner from the pond, dig a second hole, cover it with the excess liner, bury it and add water until the soil is damp.
Poking a few small holes in the bottom of the liner for the bog helps prevent stagnation.
>>
>>3693711
I see I see that sounds much more simple, thanks
>>
>>3693568
If your framework of interest in plants rests on utility, then you don't deserve plants
>>
sorry just had one more question regarding the pond. right now any bird is able to crap into it due to an overhanging tree branch so I can move it closer to the bird feeder, but that would increase the risk of seeds falling in. which is worse? I know bird droppings can increase nitrate levels which increase algae and maybe seeds do the same thing? not going to keep any fish so it's just a nutrient and hygiene problem (for any animals that drink from it)
>>
File: 20210221_173414.jpg (2.73 MB, 4032x1960)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB JPG
Also to contribute to plant discussion here is my trailing rosemary which has jumped on the chance to flower during the warm spell. What's interesting is that this and my upright rosemary seem to alternate flowering times
>>
>>3693884
Bird shit is just food for aquatic plants and snails, make sure you have lots of both and there won't be any problems.
>>
>>3693914
sweet I can leave it as it is then
>>
>>3693906
Lovely photograph anon.
Rosemary is very free-flowering, you can find it in bloom almost any time of year.
>>
>>3693290
Don't forget
>have 300+ houseplants
>they all look wimpy, and the few good looking ones with more than five leaves were bought that way
>>
Any essential reading for general plant knowledge? I'm almost done with my current reading list.
>>
help me out guys pls
I live in a typical big city flat, south Europe. I've got a long balcony where I want to hang some flowerpots, but my light/temperature/humidity conditions are a bit weird so I need suggestions on which plants to grow.
>the balcony is facing northwest, so it gets sun at the afternoon, but during ~3 winter months it gets no sun at all.
>summer however is super hot, easily reaching 35-40°C and dry as fuck.
>low humidity in general, a bit higher outside summer but low nonetheless.
>high luminosity despite the north orientation as I've got no tall buildings around.
what can I plant, /plant/?
>>
>>3693970
Raven Biology of Plants
Plant Systematics by Michael Simpson
Ethnobotany: Evolution of a Discipline by Richard Evans Schultes
>>
>>3693938
I did not know it could flower at any time, is that common for mediterranean plants?
>>
File: 91ing2gM2ML.jpg (890 KB, 1978x2560)
890 KB
890 KB JPG
>>3693970
>>3693970
Seeds of Change by Henry Hobhouse is a classic on hort/agricultural history. Everybody interested in plants should read it.
For reference books, browse the RHS catalogue, they publish many fine works, such as encyclopediae and technical manuals.
My favourite recent purchase is the Timber Press Guide to Succulents, it's beautifully photgraphed and very comprehensive.
>>
>>3693992
>>3694006
Much appreciated anons.
>>
>>3689790
I sure hope so. The jokes about how alpines are the only plants worth keeping got old pretty fast but they're legitimately quite interesting plants and I would definitely consider getting a few if I lived somewhere different.
>>
>>3693689
You can do that with an artificial pond by just overflowing it a lot
>>
>>3694186
They're so tiny and hard to care for though.
>>
>>3692347
socotra island plants
>>
>>3682729
I'm looking to get some plants for my balcony. It faces directly eastward, the sun rises into the window, and sets on the other side. Could I plant something that requires partial sun here, like camellias? Or would it be too much? I'm in north carolina.
>>
Speaking of balconies. Will bees and such fly to my balcony even if it's quite high up?
>>
>>3694722
Yes, bees will often have to go far out of the way for flowers, especially now since good flowers are often so scarce
>>
I'm the anon from >>3687638
I called up the school office today to ask why they cut the trees down, here's what I experienced:
>me:
"I noticed your trees were cut down last week, can I ask why?"
>office:
"we didn't even know the trees have been cut down"
>me:
"...huh?"
>office:
"it was half term (1 week holiday) so no one here knew about it"
>me:
"okay...but surely this was arranged beforehand right?"
>office:
"no idea lol the council takes care of our trees"
>me:
"so who do I ask?"
>office:
"ask the council, we don't know"

>I call up the council's tree officer

>me:
"do you know anything about the trees cut down at this state school paid for by our taxes?"
>council's tree officer:
"lmao idk ask the school"

sorry for the blogpost but holy shit if this isn't an eyeopener for how hard it is for a normal person to help conserve the environment by themselves. anons of /plant/ it may be a good idea to keep an eye on trees near you and find some way to protect them before there's any inkling of someone wanting to cut them down

I will try and get to the bottom of this
>>
>>3694809
Fuck the Council
>>
>>3694397
Anything can take morning sun, so you can pretty much choose whatever you want.
>>
>>3694809
Sorry for your loss, anon, and sorry you had to endure those lazy bureaucratic responses.
>>
>>3694809
Your school did it and doesn't want to talk to you.
>>
>>3694809
>Anon discovers bureaucracy for the first time
>>
>>3695069
Reminds me of that one Russian joke about soviet bureaucracy.
>>
>>3694809
The classic game of redirection
>>
>>3694856
>>3695027
>>3695033
>>3695069
>>3695085
I even emailed the local green and tree protection groups about this and got no responses. I think my email went to their spam. my luck is utter shit
>>
File: 20210222_171719.jpg (953 KB, 1467x1956)
953 KB
953 KB JPG
This leaf has been driving me crazy. This is a potted plant for my Pixie Lilly's, indoor, and I found this leaf growing in it. I don't THINK it's a new shoot since I have new shoots forming that look nothing like this (the little guys behind him) Could one of my other flowers landed a seed there?
>>
>>3695200
dig it up and see what's underneath
>>
final tree update I swear:
the school replied saying the trees were dangerous as one had fallen down and the others were dead. the species were "common split pine"
I have no idea if they're telling the truth or not but I have never heard of "common split pine" and they cut a silver birch too. can trees die within a few months despite having full summer foliage (assuming no vandalism)?
>>
>>3696085
I have no idea what they mean by split pine, but if it was pine it was probably pinus nigra given the height, and a pine beetle infestation could kill an unhealthy one quickly
>>
>>3696135
although looking back at the pictures, those are most definitely not pines
>>
>>3696135
>>3696136
yeah something's fishy alright
>>
File: IMG_20210223_232704.jpg (603 KB, 1920x4160)
603 KB
603 KB JPG
I wanted to share this little gem. 1 euro well spent. 5 tones of White and Green.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (42 KB, 400x400)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>3696437
Back in my day we didn't need no fancy colors 'cept green. I guess the kids just ain't satisfied with that these days
>>
>>3696456
It's a domestic version of a wild living being. Not better or worse.

Hope roses are selected again for their scent. Maybe back It time It was considered old fashioned.
>>
>>3694722
Yes, if the flowers you offer are worth it. But it might take them a while to find them.

Wild bees don't fly so far from home so if you want those you should also offer nisting opportunities.
>>
Is there anything I can do, aside from less watering and without having to run to a shop since I'm in lock down, to get rid of fungus gnat? I have seedlings and I'm afraid they'll kill them
>>
>>3682729
Is it possible to grow Bamboo indoors? and if so, which sort? I already have a few strands of lucky bamboo (one of which I am propegating from cuttings since I want one with a palm) but I'd like some "actual" bamboo. One that grows real tall! On the same note, is it also possible to grow Pampas grass indoors?
>>
>>3697045
Vinegar?
>>
>>3697064
It's possible to grow anything indoors, but none of the plants you mentioned will grow well in normal household conditions and I'm not sure why you would want them to either.
>>
>>3697077
I-I don't know either, I just saw both of them and thought they looked neat. I just like the way pampas grass looks, and I'd rather have a live than dried plant around. I'll take your advice to heart, and hold off for now, but I'd like to give it a shot sometime later.
>>
>>3697045
Bacillus thuringiensissubspeciesisraelensis. just buy it online
>>
>>3697084
Just get a spiderplant.
>>
>>3697098

This. Or a parlor palm. You can't kill the things. Mine has survived both inside in normal conditions without over a week of water (COVID complications) and outside during a severe freeze and week-long snow.
>>
>>3697084
mini yellow bamboo
>>
>>3697098
>get a spiderplant
Already have one actually, my sister got one and it sprouted clones like crazy (almost 20 small saplings), it's pretty small, since it's barely a sapling. But it's chugging along.

>>3697133
>parlor palm
They actually look pretty nice.

>>3697133
>You can't kill the things
Just like the wandering jew and Pothos I have. Trying to get both to grow down the side of the pot, so I can hang them on my wall or down the side of my bookshelf.

>>3697134
Got a latin name for it?
>>
>>3696543
>Not better or worse.
Almost all variegated cultivars are weaker and more prone to disease than their wild counterparts
>>
File: 20210224_144440.jpg (2.2 MB, 4032x1960)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
First pyracantha flower of the year! 3 months early haha
>>
File: 20210224_144440.jpg (1.08 MB, 1241x1617)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Oops wrong pic
>>
File: file.png (967 KB, 800x800)
967 KB
967 KB PNG
>>3697084
cyperus papyrus or a cultivated variety is a big grass that would do better indoors, and it looks somewhere in between pampas and bamboo
>>
>>3697070
I mght give this a shot, especially since they are all plants that like acidic terrain. Any idea on how diluted it should be?
>>3697096
I'll see if I can have it delivered where I live but I doubt it

thanks you all for the suggestions
>>
>>3696085
What the fuck is split pine
>>
>>3697279
Sedge, not a grass.
Different family.
>>
>>3697437
it is entirely colloquially correct to call sedges grass because "grass" is not "poaceae"; it's already non-scientific. The common name is Nile grass. Fuck off
>>
>>3697454
Well you're a sensitive little thing aren't you.
>>
>>3697420
idk I'd like to believe they were trying to type "scots pine" but autocorrect kicked in, however they sent the email on a computer so autocorrect wouldn't do anything (as far as I'm aware)
>>
>>3697473
what a boring post
>>
>>3697470
of course I am, I hang out on 4chan to talk about flowers
>>
>>3697481
Most people find plants have a calming influence, you must be doing something wrong.
>>
>>3697483
most people think lawns look nice
>>
>>3697486
It's not a controversial opinion.
>>
>>3682729
I have hard water and the water softener adds just a tiny bit of salt to the water

The basement is finished and replumbing the outside faucets upstream of the water softener would be a big project

Do i need to worry about such a small amount of salt while watering plants?

My tomatos did fine last year but im worried that over many years it will be a problem
>>
>>3697493
Most plant are fine to water with hard water, it's only some sensitive plants that require distilled water.
>>
>>3697490
no but it is a wrong one
>>3697493
over the years the salt deposits in the soil (and on the leaves if you're splashing water on them), but changing the soil every year or so basically negates it unless you have very sensitive plants, like misting an epiphyte or something.
Alternatively you can flush salts out of your plants every so often by watering with distilled water till it runs out the pot a few times
>>
>>3697476
Nobody is here to entertain you
>>
>>3697064
yes, you can. I "borrowed" two unknow varieties of giant running grass (the culms were about 5 meters or so). They are in a big planter and doing ok.
>>
>>3697499
It's subjective so neither right nor wrong.
>>
>>3697203
>dogs are more prone to disease than wolves

okay. But I want those yuge wolves from the ice age.
>>
>>3696543
Variegated varieties are more feeble and grow more slowly due to having nonproductive leaf regions.
>>
>>3697503
not the person you were replying to but lawns are objectively shit
>>
>>3697529
You've never grown a lawn in your life.
>>
>>3697537
You've never been with a woman in your life
>>
>>3697539
Post sward with timestamp.
You won't.
>>
>>3697543
1) Different anon from the one who said he hates lawns
2) Curious that you don't refute the virginity claim
3) I currently live in the city but I have maintained a lawn previously
>>
>>3697514
you're a nonproductive leaf region
>>
>>3697548
>maintained
Lmao keep seething lawncel.
>>
>>3697551
>muh monoculture grass patch

keep seething ameritard.
>>
I'd rather have a bamboo grove in my front yard than a grass lawn.
>>
>>3697586
Bamboo can actually be a huge legal liability for the property owner. That shit spreads and does damage.

Mixed ground cover with trees and patchy leaf litter sounds lovely though.
>>
if you wish to have a lawn then at least let it grow out a bit and flower for a few weeks in summer for the pollinators before cutting it back. simples
>>
>>3697577
Post timestamped sward.
>>
>>3697637
What if it's used for recreation?
>>
>>3697672
Only for children. If you're an adult, find something better
>>
>>3697676
And even for children, there's no reason not to grow a mix of local grasses, sedges, clovers, ephemerals etc.
>>
File: 20210224_192206.jpg (2.89 MB, 4000x3000)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
Hi there guys, i need help.
Do any of you know what pic related is?, it appeared like a week and a half back on two of my biggest cactus.
It grows where the sun dont shine
>>
>>3697672
what this anon said >>3697677 and/or you could alternate which half/area you mow for example cut one section every 6 weeks in summer so you always have both grass and flowers
>>
>>3697676
>>3697677
>>3697685
You've never grown grass in your life and it shows.
>>
>>3697701
You don't deserve the land you sow
>>
>>3697702
Cope swardlet.
>>
>>3697704
dilate your sod
>>
>>3683331
any info on where you found it? I'm taking an ID of seed plants class so theres a tiny chance i can but need the location to find a good key
>>
>>3696085
yeah definitely not a pine judging by the leaf shape in the first picture you sent and that theyre deciduous. my guess is either salix or populus but just kinda guessing
>>
>>3697679
they're a terrestrial variety of barnacle.

In other words you're fucked.
>>
>>3697679

Toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol spray. Do it every single day until no scale remains, and then some. Clean your equipment like crazy.
>>
File: 20200203_140834.jpg (305 KB, 1042x1426)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
Why are Puyas so hard to find in the US?
>>
File: 20210224_192202.jpg (1.98 MB, 4000x3000)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>3697799
Thank you anon, i was also reading that some people use neem oil, there was a lot of comments stating that a-it doesn't do shit and b- it can burn your plants (aldo i have to imagine that the later came from people who didn't dilute the oil as well as the should)
Anyway thank you again man, i will do my best to save them, they are two cereus, one monstruosus and one spirallis
>>
>>3697802
Actually, a lot of bromeliad species are hard to find in the US.
>>
File: IMG_1635.jpg (2.93 MB, 3024x4032)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB JPG
So I beheaded a haworthia a while back, it put out two sprouts on top that I let grow till they looked mature enough. Today I beheaded it again so I can put them in the ground, the head has the two sprouts and four adult leaves + stem. I'm letting it scar over for a few days then poking it down onto fast draining dirt and spraying it daily till it roots. Think it'll survive? I worry I didn't leave enough leaves on it, or I cut it off when the sprouts were too young.
>>
>>3698008
>spraying it daily till it roots
You're gonna rot your plants
>>
>>3698036
I just spray the soil around it, which is dry to the touch after an hour or so. It's worked for all my other succulent props at least, and I do forget some days
>>
>>3698008
looks like crabs
>>
File: 1614258040400.jpg (1021 KB, 1573x2098)
1021 KB
1021 KB JPG
Feels like spring already here
>>
>>3697279
Cyperus alternifolius is somewhat easier to take care of indoors and has a more bambooish look to it.
>>
>>3697623
>That shit spreads and does damage.
Only the invasive types.
>>
>>3697802
>>3697819
The big Bromeliad craze hasn't really happened yet outside of Asia (or even outside of Thailand in particular).
>>
>>3697679
>>3697799
>>3697809
I'd also like to point out that these pieces of shit have a tendency to spread like wildfire, even if you're clearing them off, chances are you're spreading their eggs around which will make the next wave of scale even more annoying to get rid of.
Forget about neem oil, that's about as useful as soap (i.e. it's somewhat useful in rubbing the scale off, but it doesn't actually kill anything).
>>
>>3698008
It's nice seeing your progress pictures every so often. Your experiment should work.
>>
New
>>3698528
>>
File: IMG_5562.jpg (2.98 MB, 4032x3024)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
>>3698524
Cheers, I sure hope so! Here's the current progress of the two leggy haworthia I beheaded. The mother plant on the left now has five pups, and on the right are two heads and one middle section, with the new double sprout head at the bottom (just for display, it's still healing.) So far I have had a base, a middle section, and all the leaf props die on me - I'm particularly surprised about the base but I must have cut it too low, or it was so leggy that it never had a chance. The two heads and middle section have grown small bumps on the underside which I understand to be new root sites, so all is well there

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.