[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: antsupercolonies.png (97 KB, 462x270)
97 KB
97 KB PNG
would it be possible to create a kind of "honeypot" trap for ant supercolonies? provide them an enclosed space that's easy to relocate to, completely safe and stocked with resources

Once they've relocated the colony we trap them in so they can't get out, then we extract colony and study/send into space?

I realize supercolonies are huge, but couldn't placing it close to the central area of the colony mean they could be contained for the most part?

I imagine relocating supercolonies to articifical colony structures, sending them into orbit, and creating a space station where it centers around the ant colonies fighting and carrying on in space
>>
Uh, is this the part where i'm supposed to welcome our ant overlords?
>>
>>3648288
>Supercolonies in New Zealand, California and Metropolitan Japan
Argentinian Ant new Pacific superpower
>>
>>3648297
desu not too far off

theres est. a million billion. They outnumber us by over 100,000. whereas humanity has never really dealt with opposing outside forces, esp to the point of unifying us, ants compete with many, many other creatures on a whole different scale

Their colonies are only going to continue to grow and grow
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqECNYmM23A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_e0CA_nhaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3QTAgHlwEg
>>
>>3648307
>whereas humanity has never really dealt with opposing outside forces
what do you mean? we mogged every animal that bothered us
if you mean aliens ants didn't have to fight them off either
>>
>>3648288
Or just engineer a biowep to wipe out the ant population. We could do it with tics too.
>>
>>3648586
Aren't ants important for... something?
>>
>>3648683
Save some of them in a lab so they can be recreated if we ever need them again.
>>
>Conflict does occur between members of different supercolonies. In 1997, UC San Diego researchers observed fighting between different Argentine ants kept in lab, and in 2004 scientists began to map out the boundaries of the different supercolonies that clashed in San Diego. On the border of the Very Large Colony and the Lake Hodges Colony thirty million ants die each year on a battlefront that covers many miles. While the battles of other ant species generally constitute colony raids lasting a few hours or skirmishes that occur periodically for a few weeks, Argentine ants clash ceaselessly; the borders of their territory are a site of constant violence and battles can be fought on top of hundreds of dead ants. Fights may be halted by adverse weather such as rain.
Ants are crazy.
>>
A little off subject but I figured I wouldn't waste a new thread. Can you buy ant farms like back in the day? Do they have decent ones that aren't merely toys and are similar to say, an aquarium? How do you get the ants?
>>
>>3648721
Yeah, there are a lot of specialized ant shops that sell all kinds of formicariums which you can connect with each other and foraging tanks. A lot of people also build their own tanks by using ytong to create the nesting chambers and putting it in a glass tank to have all in one setup. The shops also sell young queens with eggs and starting workers.
>>
>>3648721
I'm sure they sell it somewhere, but the fun is making your own.
It's overall an easy process. The only hard part is getting an ant queen, gotta raid an anthill and get one lucky with finding one that is ready to pop out some eggs
>>
>>3648721
check youtube. I've seen ant farm channels, the big ones prob have guides or tips for building your own

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.