[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3779.jpg (736 KB, 1500x1000)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia families. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

Old thread: >>3638030
>>
>>3648022
Ur mom is Hylonomus
>>
>>
File: 20190921_203438.jpg (2.57 MB, 4032x2268)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>reposting from prev thread for answers
>>3648030
>>
>>3648043
>WELCOME TO THE SCALY SPITOON, WHAT'LL YA HAVE?
>>
>>3648043
>>3648052
I'll take a hand feeding of your finest Dubias please
>>
>>3648048
I find the greatest success by mixing my soil with wood mulch and spagnum moss rather that just chucking the substrates on top of each other. Get a good mix going and spray it down.
>>
>>3648058
>>3646038
>>
>>3648060
I do have a ton of sphagnum moss in the mix as well. Im not sure if there is wood mulch in the mix, but I assume so. Friend of mine who has done many bio setups before gave me the big bag of mix ready to go. Should I be spraying it daily? or watering with a watering can?

Also the actual level of soil has gone down a couple inches since it was first set up, since it has been going for well over a year now. Does the soil get consumed by the isopods overtime and will it require topping up occaisionally?
>>
If I'm using paper towel in my tub should I do

moss
towel
moss
towel

or

towel
moss
towel
>>
File: tokay_gecko_2014_08_19.jpg (134 KB, 1180x787)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
this guy runs up to you, shouts TO-KAY and bites your fingers. what the fuck do you do about it?
>>
>>3648201
I thank him for his service.
>>
File: BuddyJan2021.png (1.35 MB, 756x1008)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>3648201
Make friends with it and tame it.
>>
>>3648370
if they were a little easier to handle leachies wouldnt be like a thousand dollars. i really want to get back into tokays but i need a new animal hoarding room first.
>>
>>3648481
I want a leachie one day. May go to Cosco and buy a industrial rack so I can house more reptiles in my room.

I stay away from the room temp geckos cause i dont have central AC. Can't keep a room in the high 70s all year.
>>
>>3648492
idk i think people are too touchy on temp for new caledonian geckos, at least cresteds. I've set up a swamp cooler for mine before, as long as you keep the substrate moist it will be a few degrees cooler than the ambient temp, and the terrarium on the whole will usually be a little cooler than your room.

here we usually have like a week at a time of 80 degrees or more a couple of times a year so AC isn't common. Swamp coolers in general are a good hack for animals, I used to make them for my dog too. If you're somewhere with 80 plus degree months it might be an issue but at that point why tf don't you have AC?
>>
>>3648525
I live inland san diego county. It gets 100 a few days a year here. Many 90 degree days, weeks and weeks of 90 degree days sometimes.

My leo, BTS, and Tokays are fine with 90 degree heat in the day though.

I have a window AC unit, but no central. My window unit can bring my room to 88ish when it gets 100-102 outside but no AC cause my parents don't want to pay for the 500-600 a month electric bill with AC. It's already 200-300 with out.
>>
>>3648529
>88ish
Jesus fuck
>>
>>3648529
>living in california
well, there's your mistake. this state sucks but at least the weather is good for getting comfy with lizards.
>>
And so it begins. The downgrade is complete. God willing she'll enjoy it and be willing to eat.
>>
>>3648607
does she have a kink in her spine near the tail? I notice in all the pictures it's all janky and off to the side
>>
>>3648654
Nah it's just the way it sits in pics irl it doesn't really look like that.
>>
https://youtu.be/M0_aUba4uq4
how long can a man survive on crested gecko diet? i need to hold out to the 30th
>>
>>3648805
Can't be much worse than the peanut butter smoothie and flavored water diet. You'd have to eat a massive volume of it in order to break even 1000 calories, and your shits will be completely liquid.
>>
Weird question but would the sounds from a controller like this bother snakes/lizards? I was looking into getting a crested gecko or a hognose or something and it would be living in my room with me, but obviously I wouldn't want to stress it out or anything. Unfortunately there's nowhere else it could go while living at home so this might be a deal breaker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r0X_OR5ebY
>>
>>3649111
might bother a lizard. Snakes don't have external ears so their hearing is poorer and more dialed toward low frequencies and vibration, so a snake wouldn't be bothered unless it was on the same table as the controller.
>>
>>3649111
Bemani bro!
I've been playing some Popn on the gamo2 controller with maybe six feet between me and the terrarium with my pygmy bearded in it. He sleeps through the entirety of it usually.
>>
>>3649111
snakes have pretty shit hearing. They don't even have ears or an eardrum for example. They hear entirely through vibrations in their jaw bones, and it is unknown if they can even hear sounds traveling through the air or only hear vibrations along the ground
>>
>>3649139
>>3649142
Cool thanks, guess I'll lean towards the snek then and maybe put a rubber mat under the controller just to be extra safe.

>>3649141
I wanted to post better gameplay but unfortunately none of the others showed off the sheer power of pop'n clacking. Good to hear your pygmy doesn't mind the noise too much!
>>
My plants have white stains on them, most likely from my water being pretty hard. Is this an issue I should look into fixing?

>>3649196
The Popn controller is ESPECIALLY clacky too with its giant hollow dome buttons
>>
>>3649291
if they're hard water stains it's not a big deal, but if they're fuzzy it's fungus and might be bad for them
I use RO water for all my stuff, especially water bowls and the misting system. The tap water where I am is from a limestone aquifer and extremely hard, crusts up glass and water bowls quickly in a way that calls for hydrochloric acid based cleaners and scrubbing with steel wool.
If you live in a city you probably have access to one of those services that delivers 5gal jugs of water for water coolers. The cheap option from them is generally reverse osmosis water, and that's what you want. I use one of those, between the people and the enclosures we go through around 10gal a week. I also exclusively use it for tea and coffee to keep the kettle from crusting over.
>>
>>3649350
er, correction there, an AND should have been an OR
steel wool and hydrochloric acid don't go together. Plastic scrubber with HCl, or steel wool and elbow grease, are what it takes to clean anything that's had my tapwater sitting in it for more than a day or two.
>>
File: 20210114_113140.jpg (3.83 MB, 4032x3024)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
Herbidology :DDD
>>
>>3649551
bitch
>>
File: emberinambush.jpg (2.33 MB, 4032x2571)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
ember the boa is ready for her next meal. It's rare I actually see the boas in the kind of ambush positions you'd expect in the wild.
>>
>>3648607
>>3648646
Not sure if this will link to the other thread but to reply yeah I've switched her to a tub and am taking her to the vet.

It could very much be something I don't know. I'm not sure if you saw but the vet said she felt gassy and a bit of a lump so she gave her some antibiotic that is also supposed to boost hunger so I'm taking her back next week to get an ultrasound for the object and a second dosage.
>>
>>3649598
She looks beautiful.
>>
>>3649609
the plus side is since she's a juvenile refusing to eat in this key time in her life for fast growth she'll probably be stunted, and it'll be kind of kawaii desu that you have a miniature snake
>>
>>3649609
Not sure if this was already covered in the other thread. Have you given her a warm water bath?
>>
>>3649619
Ironically enough she's shed twice with us, which probably isn't a lot given the time frame but I'm still surprised.

>>3649630
Yeah funny enough I gave her one last night before switching enclosures. Figured it'd be a good time.

How often should I give her a water bath?
>>
>>3649660
>How often should I give her a water bath?
Only as necessary. It's good for stuck sheds and impaction.
>>
>>3649670
Well nothing came out so I guess it wasn't impacted.
>>
>>3649598
>animal behaving in its enclosure as it would in the wild
Pretty sure this means you did a good job, anon. Congrats on the husbandry
>>
>>3649718
To an extent i guess. I think it's more that boas are pretty lazy and adapt to being fed. I slow down feedings over the winter (along with reducing temps slightly, still in tropical range) and see more ambush behavior as they get more time to get hungry. Like, my oldest and biggest boy just moves from the warm side to the cold side and occasionally visits his water feature to drink or shit with the occasional cruise, and pokes his head out when he smells mice thawing. My other female basically begs for food, if she sees me walking by she'll stretch out towards me and chase my finger through the glass. When I open the glass, she smells my finger and then loses interest, thankfully, no feeding response tags from her yet.
Rat snakes gonna rat snake though, their natural behavior is cruise all over the place and investigate everything. Like, a 1kg rat snake really needs a bigger enclosure than a similar length 5+ kg heavy-bodied boid. Used to think it was overkill when all I had was boas and a lazy kingsnake when hearing how 55-75 gal was too small for corns, but I believe it now.
>>
>>3649697
That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't impacted. How long was the bath?
>>
>>3649739
Roughly 15 minutes should it have been longer?
>>
>>3649819
if the snake hasn't ever eaten anything in its life it's probably not impacted
>>
>>3649819
I'd do closer to an hour to clear impaction.
>>
My bro tier Tokay being a bro
>>
Welp, my baby male japanese rat snake tried to eat my finger twice while I was cleaning his tub. Holding him in one hand while cleaning with the other, noticed he wasn't moving, looked over and he was latched on. Let go when I ran water over him. Then he did it again ten minutes later.
Really hope he outgrows this before he can break the skin, but on the upside he's calm and non-defensive.
>>
>>3650036
Name him joe Biden
>>
>>3650042
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVCMJ6W9QU
>>
>>3650073
Kek. Rucka continues to deliver
>>
>>3649824
She's eaten just not with me. She's pooped recently but it was only urates cus no food

>>3649835
Alright thanks. Definitely good to know for the future
>>
>>3650154
>She's eaten just not with me
as far as you know :^)

I betcha the vet is going to teach you how to assist feed so you'll start doing that
>>
>>3650171
LOL well listen either I got fleeced or I'm retardedly unlucky. I guess time will tell.

Not sure which is more comforting.
>>
>>3648022
>reptilia
>>
>>3650242
amphibia
>>
>>3648022
>>3650446
>amphibia
>>
While I assume it would depend on the species, and maybe even to a lesser extent the individual, would it be possible to use operant conditioning to have snakes respond to different types of vibration? Like a light buzz on the top of the tank to let them know it's time for food, and deeper pulse at the side for handling, that sort of thing?
>>
>>3650815
snakes live by smell
if they smell a rat it's time to eat, if they don't smell a rat it's not
that's why you better not stick your hand in after handling a rat or you get bit
>>
>>3650815
I play Hip to be Square at max volume during feeding time.
>>
File: statlerturtle-1024x683.jpg (64 KB, 1024x683)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Never post on /an/ other than a time I needed your guys help on saving a newborn squirrel. Been wanting a new pet, the only thing that really interests me is a new golden retriever or a tortoise. When it comes to dogs, the idea of keeping one has never bugged me. If I didn't take it in, it would either not exist or be put down. He would also have a yard to play in and neighbor dogs to be friends with on the other side of the fence, and go outside, walked, and take the occasional road trip. A reptile, however, I just can't get past the idea of the little dude would be happier out in the wild than stuck in a little cage in my room. I thought that, well maybe buying two would make it better, but then I felt like I am now sticking two lives in a little hole with no one but each other. Is there anything I could read to alleviate my issues of keeping a reptile? Or is it just sort of wrong to keep one as a pet? I am probably over thinking this.
>>
>>3650869
You're definitely overthinking things, which isn't bad, but also most reptiles, and especially for beginners, should not be housed together.
>>
I moved over my pygmy beardo to his new bioactive home a few hours ago, and besides exploring a bit he's been frantically bumping at the glass and climbing the background as if he's trying to get out. Poking at the net ceiling, scratching at the glass.
Is this normal for a lizard in a new home? I've never moved him or changed his terrarium this radically before.
>>
>>3650869
if you have space for a golden retriever you have space for a tortoise
give it a pen to live in and let it roam your yard whenever possible instead of keeping it locked up in a tank
tanks are bad for torts in general, they need visible barriers otherwise they'll keep bumping into the glass
>>
>>3650869
Life outside is hardly pleasant. Quite the opposite actually, it's TERRIFYING for anything with a brain large enough to comprehend such things as "safe" and "danger." This is why wild animals typically run away from people; even in territory thats familiar or safe, a New Thing that enters it could very well be there to try to kill it, and nature selects for animals that avoid things that are trying to kill them.

By taking in an animal you're providing (or at least should be providing) the optimal conditions for it to live and thrive and be healthy. In the wild you get what you get until you get killed by something, be it disease or predation.

That said, you would be buying a captive bred tortoise/s anyway, so all of that is moot and you would be in the same position as you would a dog - theyre bred to be pets. I do have to say to keep in mind what all youre going to need for the specific chelonian, because they really do require more than the standard tank light and floaty thing.
>>
>>3650900
I also daresay that tortoises probably require a LITTLE less interaction than a retriever, but probably more gear, and more specific foodstuffs.
>>
>>3650878
>I've never moved him or changed his terrarium this radically before.
That may be the issue. Did you carry anything over from the new enclosure from the old? The wholly new place with new stuff all around may be so unfamiliar that he doesnt feel safe - bringing some stuff over that's familiar may help with that. Does he have an old hide/basking spot maybe you can bring in?
>>
File: EryfwolXUAAE-jg[1].jpg (446 KB, 2048x1536)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
>>3650911
He settled down now, I'll see what's up tomorrow when the lights come on again. I have a piece of Mangrove rested on a rock for a hide in the same way it was in his old place, but it's on the other side compared to before.

Now I feel like a dick for not thinking about that, I should check if I can put something old in there
>>
>>3649930
why is he looking back at you like "this nigga fuckin serious?"
>>
>>3650869
Don't anthropomorphize reptiles. Reptiles are mostly indifferent to humans with a few exceptions. Some lizards are probably smart enough to 'enjoy' your companionship on some level and also engage in play behaviors but snakes, tortoises/turtle and most lizards could take you or leave you once they're habituated to your presence. Most reptiles have a pretty small range as individuals because being cold blooded makes long journeys difficult.
>>
>>3651327
He noticed my phone moving behind him while I was photographing him, so he turned to look. I think it made him nervous.
>>
>>3651369
my pitbull gives me the same look when i playfully spank his butt, the "i really want to fucking maul you but I just can't be fucking assed rn"
>>
File: 20210115_210810.jpg (1.6 MB, 3088x3088)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>3648022
Just found this cutie in my house, kinda weird since it's the first time I have seen one venturing this deep into the town, would appreciate if someone could identify its species. I just know it's not venomous
>>
File: 20210115_210335.jpg (1.74 MB, 3088x3088)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>3651446
It's a bit pissed off but still looks cute.
>>
>>3651446
>. I just know it's not venomous
Assuming you're in North America, it's definitely not. Some rat or corn snake
>>
>>3651451
Yes, definitely it's one of those. Thanks anon.
>>
>>3651448
so you gonna keep it?
>>
>>3651492
No, I like reptiles but I'm not in a position right now to be able to take care of one. I'll release it in an area far from my home known for being a common habitat for snakes.
>>
>>3649609
Fingers crossed for you.

>>3649619
That's not true in the slightest. It will take her longer, but she will still grow. I have a 2010 boa I got in 2016 that had been underfed to keep him small. He's grown almost a foot in my care and will probably grow more, who knows? I've seen other snakes even older barely bigger than hatchlings and still reach average adult size.
>>
>>3651448
where you located? I'm good at most NA snakes and that one's got me stumped.
Also, in the first pic it looks like he's got slit pupil but I'm assuming that's a perspective trick. He doesn't look like a nightsnake and there aren't many other slit pupil'd colubrids in north america.
State and region or county. My brain won't let this one go till I positively ID it.
>>
File: 20210115_222633.jpg (1.39 MB, 3088x3088)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>3651532
I'm in central mexico, hidalgo state.
>>
>>3651532
Nevermind. Lyresnake. Unless you're not in the southwest US or Mexico.
Banding, head markings and slit pupils all match up.
Cute lil harmless rear-fanged colubrids.
>>
>>3651544
>>3651544
nice!
Definitely a lyresnake then. The banding is pretty unique compared to other NA colubrids.
>>
>>3651548
Thanks a lot. Sometimes I wonder if there's anything more to be found around here. For example, last year I found a giant weevil and a bombardier beetle, which I didn't know lived in this country too. Also I remember seeing a black snake with a yellow belly some years ago, it hid behind some rocks when I got closer.
>>
>>3651576
I wish it was easier to get english-language info on Mexican herps. Range maps often just stop at the border despite that not being accurate. I live in Texas near-ish to the Coahuila border and do a lot of searching for herps in the Texas part of the Chihuahuan desert.
>>
>>3651511
but it came to you :(
it wants to be your friend
>>
>>3651593
That's pretty cool. This country is in need of some exploration. There are many areas in which there's still something new to find.
>>3651596
I don't think it likes me. It doesn't stop trying to bite me through the glass making a funny sound when it hits the glass.
>>
>>3651619
I really need to start herping. Last time I went with my gfs family but they were too terrified for me to pick anything up.
>>
>>3652100
>they were too terrified for me to pick anything up.
Why did their fear prevent you from grabbing them
>>
>>3652149
Appeasement
>>
>>3652164
Gay.
>>
>>3652164
>>3652165
Not appeasement more so I'll have chances to do it next summer and it's not worth the whining ruining the hike
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (12 KB, 176x176)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGcFiUcqSnM
she is your problem now
t. /aq/
>>
>>3652430
I miss her fish :(
>>
>>3652428
What's there to whine about? If they don't want to touch they don't have to
>>
>>3652430
You dick
>>
>>3652430
not enough simp viewers with fish?
>>
>>3652452
Anon you drastically underestimate how fearful people are of snakes. Especially New Yorkers
>>
>>3652617
>hiss
>OY VEY A SCALEY ANTI SEMITE IDS ANUDDA SHOA REMEMBER THE 60 GORILLIAN
>>
>>3652617
rats have every reason to be afraid of snakes
>>
>>3652730
Damn that was way better than my thing
>>
>>3652683
>>3652730
Im not from the city so one thing I dont understand is why these people bother hiking. The thing that separates a hike from a park is that it's in nature. But they don't want to observe or interact with nature. Like just stay in the parks then
>>

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.