[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3779.jpg (736 KB, 1500x1000)
736 KB
736 KB JPG
This thread is dedicated to all animals of the reptilia and amphibia families. Topics include, but are not limited to: geckos, snakes of all kinds, frogs, salamanders, newts, turtles, tortoises, and much more. Before asking a question, do a search on the internet to see if it has been answered
Classifieds for finding breeders and products:
>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>caudata.org
Most forums will have a "for sale" section on them, so look for that, especially if you have a specific herp you want. Craigslist can also be a good source for cheap aquariums, and make sure to check for any reptile expos that occur in your area.

When asking a question, make sure to include these details:
>Type and size of animal
>Enclosure dimensions
>Humidity and temperature
>Type of substrate
>The decor you use
>How often you feed
>The type of food you use
>If your animal is wild caught or captive bred
>How often you handle
>Who you bought the animal from

Other Helpful Resources
>www.blackjungleterrariumsupply.com
>www.joshsfrogs.com
>http://www.reptilesmagazine.com
>http://www.anapsid.org
>http://www.hylid.clara.co.uk/caer.htm
>https://www.americanmadeexotics.com/breeding-ball-pythons-article.html
>http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog/

Old thread: >>3638030
>>
>>3648022
Ur mom is Hylonomus
>>
>>
File: 20190921_203438.jpg (2.57 MB, 4032x2268)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
>reposting from prev thread for answers
>>3648030
>>
>>3648043
>WELCOME TO THE SCALY SPITOON, WHAT'LL YA HAVE?
>>
>>3648043
>>3648052
I'll take a hand feeding of your finest Dubias please
>>
>>3648048
I find the greatest success by mixing my soil with wood mulch and spagnum moss rather that just chucking the substrates on top of each other. Get a good mix going and spray it down.
>>
>>3648058
>>3646038
>>
>>3648060
I do have a ton of sphagnum moss in the mix as well. Im not sure if there is wood mulch in the mix, but I assume so. Friend of mine who has done many bio setups before gave me the big bag of mix ready to go. Should I be spraying it daily? or watering with a watering can?

Also the actual level of soil has gone down a couple inches since it was first set up, since it has been going for well over a year now. Does the soil get consumed by the isopods overtime and will it require topping up occaisionally?
>>
If I'm using paper towel in my tub should I do

moss
towel
moss
towel

or

towel
moss
towel
>>
File: tokay_gecko_2014_08_19.jpg (134 KB, 1180x787)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
this guy runs up to you, shouts TO-KAY and bites your fingers. what the fuck do you do about it?
>>
>>3648201
I thank him for his service.
>>
File: BuddyJan2021.png (1.35 MB, 756x1008)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>3648201
Make friends with it and tame it.
>>
>>3648370
if they were a little easier to handle leachies wouldnt be like a thousand dollars. i really want to get back into tokays but i need a new animal hoarding room first.
>>
>>3648481
I want a leachie one day. May go to Cosco and buy a industrial rack so I can house more reptiles in my room.

I stay away from the room temp geckos cause i dont have central AC. Can't keep a room in the high 70s all year.
>>
>>3648492
idk i think people are too touchy on temp for new caledonian geckos, at least cresteds. I've set up a swamp cooler for mine before, as long as you keep the substrate moist it will be a few degrees cooler than the ambient temp, and the terrarium on the whole will usually be a little cooler than your room.

here we usually have like a week at a time of 80 degrees or more a couple of times a year so AC isn't common. Swamp coolers in general are a good hack for animals, I used to make them for my dog too. If you're somewhere with 80 plus degree months it might be an issue but at that point why tf don't you have AC?
>>
>>3648525
I live inland san diego county. It gets 100 a few days a year here. Many 90 degree days, weeks and weeks of 90 degree days sometimes.

My leo, BTS, and Tokays are fine with 90 degree heat in the day though.

I have a window AC unit, but no central. My window unit can bring my room to 88ish when it gets 100-102 outside but no AC cause my parents don't want to pay for the 500-600 a month electric bill with AC. It's already 200-300 with out.
>>
>>3648529
>88ish
Jesus fuck
>>
>>3648529
>living in california
well, there's your mistake. this state sucks but at least the weather is good for getting comfy with lizards.
>>
And so it begins. The downgrade is complete. God willing she'll enjoy it and be willing to eat.
>>
>>3648607
does she have a kink in her spine near the tail? I notice in all the pictures it's all janky and off to the side
>>
>>3648654
Nah it's just the way it sits in pics irl it doesn't really look like that.
>>
https://youtu.be/M0_aUba4uq4
how long can a man survive on crested gecko diet? i need to hold out to the 30th
>>
>>3648805
Can't be much worse than the peanut butter smoothie and flavored water diet. You'd have to eat a massive volume of it in order to break even 1000 calories, and your shits will be completely liquid.
>>
Weird question but would the sounds from a controller like this bother snakes/lizards? I was looking into getting a crested gecko or a hognose or something and it would be living in my room with me, but obviously I wouldn't want to stress it out or anything. Unfortunately there's nowhere else it could go while living at home so this might be a deal breaker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r0X_OR5ebY
>>
>>3649111
might bother a lizard. Snakes don't have external ears so their hearing is poorer and more dialed toward low frequencies and vibration, so a snake wouldn't be bothered unless it was on the same table as the controller.
>>
>>3649111
Bemani bro!
I've been playing some Popn on the gamo2 controller with maybe six feet between me and the terrarium with my pygmy bearded in it. He sleeps through the entirety of it usually.
>>
>>3649111
snakes have pretty shit hearing. They don't even have ears or an eardrum for example. They hear entirely through vibrations in their jaw bones, and it is unknown if they can even hear sounds traveling through the air or only hear vibrations along the ground
>>
>>3649139
>>3649142
Cool thanks, guess I'll lean towards the snek then and maybe put a rubber mat under the controller just to be extra safe.

>>3649141
I wanted to post better gameplay but unfortunately none of the others showed off the sheer power of pop'n clacking. Good to hear your pygmy doesn't mind the noise too much!
>>
My plants have white stains on them, most likely from my water being pretty hard. Is this an issue I should look into fixing?

>>3649196
The Popn controller is ESPECIALLY clacky too with its giant hollow dome buttons
>>
>>3649291
if they're hard water stains it's not a big deal, but if they're fuzzy it's fungus and might be bad for them
I use RO water for all my stuff, especially water bowls and the misting system. The tap water where I am is from a limestone aquifer and extremely hard, crusts up glass and water bowls quickly in a way that calls for hydrochloric acid based cleaners and scrubbing with steel wool.
If you live in a city you probably have access to one of those services that delivers 5gal jugs of water for water coolers. The cheap option from them is generally reverse osmosis water, and that's what you want. I use one of those, between the people and the enclosures we go through around 10gal a week. I also exclusively use it for tea and coffee to keep the kettle from crusting over.
>>
>>3649350
er, correction there, an AND should have been an OR
steel wool and hydrochloric acid don't go together. Plastic scrubber with HCl, or steel wool and elbow grease, are what it takes to clean anything that's had my tapwater sitting in it for more than a day or two.
>>
File: 20210114_113140.jpg (3.83 MB, 4032x3024)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
Herbidology :DDD
>>
>>3649551
bitch
>>
File: emberinambush.jpg (2.33 MB, 4032x2571)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
ember the boa is ready for her next meal. It's rare I actually see the boas in the kind of ambush positions you'd expect in the wild.
>>
>>3648607
>>3648646
Not sure if this will link to the other thread but to reply yeah I've switched her to a tub and am taking her to the vet.

It could very much be something I don't know. I'm not sure if you saw but the vet said she felt gassy and a bit of a lump so she gave her some antibiotic that is also supposed to boost hunger so I'm taking her back next week to get an ultrasound for the object and a second dosage.
>>
>>3649598
She looks beautiful.
>>
>>3649609
the plus side is since she's a juvenile refusing to eat in this key time in her life for fast growth she'll probably be stunted, and it'll be kind of kawaii desu that you have a miniature snake
>>
>>3649609
Not sure if this was already covered in the other thread. Have you given her a warm water bath?
>>
>>3649619
Ironically enough she's shed twice with us, which probably isn't a lot given the time frame but I'm still surprised.

>>3649630
Yeah funny enough I gave her one last night before switching enclosures. Figured it'd be a good time.

How often should I give her a water bath?
>>
>>3649660
>How often should I give her a water bath?
Only as necessary. It's good for stuck sheds and impaction.
>>
>>3649670
Well nothing came out so I guess it wasn't impacted.
>>
>>3649598
>animal behaving in its enclosure as it would in the wild
Pretty sure this means you did a good job, anon. Congrats on the husbandry
>>
>>3649718
To an extent i guess. I think it's more that boas are pretty lazy and adapt to being fed. I slow down feedings over the winter (along with reducing temps slightly, still in tropical range) and see more ambush behavior as they get more time to get hungry. Like, my oldest and biggest boy just moves from the warm side to the cold side and occasionally visits his water feature to drink or shit with the occasional cruise, and pokes his head out when he smells mice thawing. My other female basically begs for food, if she sees me walking by she'll stretch out towards me and chase my finger through the glass. When I open the glass, she smells my finger and then loses interest, thankfully, no feeding response tags from her yet.
Rat snakes gonna rat snake though, their natural behavior is cruise all over the place and investigate everything. Like, a 1kg rat snake really needs a bigger enclosure than a similar length 5+ kg heavy-bodied boid. Used to think it was overkill when all I had was boas and a lazy kingsnake when hearing how 55-75 gal was too small for corns, but I believe it now.
>>
>>3649697
That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't impacted. How long was the bath?
>>
>>3649739
Roughly 15 minutes should it have been longer?
>>
>>3649819
if the snake hasn't ever eaten anything in its life it's probably not impacted
>>
>>3649819
I'd do closer to an hour to clear impaction.
>>
My bro tier Tokay being a bro
>>
Welp, my baby male japanese rat snake tried to eat my finger twice while I was cleaning his tub. Holding him in one hand while cleaning with the other, noticed he wasn't moving, looked over and he was latched on. Let go when I ran water over him. Then he did it again ten minutes later.
Really hope he outgrows this before he can break the skin, but on the upside he's calm and non-defensive.
>>
>>3650036
Name him joe Biden
>>
>>3650042
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IVCMJ6W9QU
>>
>>3650073
Kek. Rucka continues to deliver
>>
>>3649824
She's eaten just not with me. She's pooped recently but it was only urates cus no food

>>3649835
Alright thanks. Definitely good to know for the future
>>
>>3650154
>She's eaten just not with me
as far as you know :^)

I betcha the vet is going to teach you how to assist feed so you'll start doing that
>>
>>3650171
LOL well listen either I got fleeced or I'm retardedly unlucky. I guess time will tell.

Not sure which is more comforting.
>>
>>3648022
>reptilia
>>
>>3650242
amphibia
>>
>>3648022
>>3650446
>amphibia
>>
While I assume it would depend on the species, and maybe even to a lesser extent the individual, would it be possible to use operant conditioning to have snakes respond to different types of vibration? Like a light buzz on the top of the tank to let them know it's time for food, and deeper pulse at the side for handling, that sort of thing?
>>
>>3650815
snakes live by smell
if they smell a rat it's time to eat, if they don't smell a rat it's not
that's why you better not stick your hand in after handling a rat or you get bit
>>
>>3650815
I play Hip to be Square at max volume during feeding time.
>>
File: statlerturtle-1024x683.jpg (64 KB, 1024x683)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Never post on /an/ other than a time I needed your guys help on saving a newborn squirrel. Been wanting a new pet, the only thing that really interests me is a new golden retriever or a tortoise. When it comes to dogs, the idea of keeping one has never bugged me. If I didn't take it in, it would either not exist or be put down. He would also have a yard to play in and neighbor dogs to be friends with on the other side of the fence, and go outside, walked, and take the occasional road trip. A reptile, however, I just can't get past the idea of the little dude would be happier out in the wild than stuck in a little cage in my room. I thought that, well maybe buying two would make it better, but then I felt like I am now sticking two lives in a little hole with no one but each other. Is there anything I could read to alleviate my issues of keeping a reptile? Or is it just sort of wrong to keep one as a pet? I am probably over thinking this.
>>
>>3650869
You're definitely overthinking things, which isn't bad, but also most reptiles, and especially for beginners, should not be housed together.
>>
I moved over my pygmy beardo to his new bioactive home a few hours ago, and besides exploring a bit he's been frantically bumping at the glass and climbing the background as if he's trying to get out. Poking at the net ceiling, scratching at the glass.
Is this normal for a lizard in a new home? I've never moved him or changed his terrarium this radically before.
>>
>>3650869
if you have space for a golden retriever you have space for a tortoise
give it a pen to live in and let it roam your yard whenever possible instead of keeping it locked up in a tank
tanks are bad for torts in general, they need visible barriers otherwise they'll keep bumping into the glass
>>
>>3650869
Life outside is hardly pleasant. Quite the opposite actually, it's TERRIFYING for anything with a brain large enough to comprehend such things as "safe" and "danger." This is why wild animals typically run away from people; even in territory thats familiar or safe, a New Thing that enters it could very well be there to try to kill it, and nature selects for animals that avoid things that are trying to kill them.

By taking in an animal you're providing (or at least should be providing) the optimal conditions for it to live and thrive and be healthy. In the wild you get what you get until you get killed by something, be it disease or predation.

That said, you would be buying a captive bred tortoise/s anyway, so all of that is moot and you would be in the same position as you would a dog - theyre bred to be pets. I do have to say to keep in mind what all youre going to need for the specific chelonian, because they really do require more than the standard tank light and floaty thing.
>>
>>3650900
I also daresay that tortoises probably require a LITTLE less interaction than a retriever, but probably more gear, and more specific foodstuffs.
>>
>>3650878
>I've never moved him or changed his terrarium this radically before.
That may be the issue. Did you carry anything over from the new enclosure from the old? The wholly new place with new stuff all around may be so unfamiliar that he doesnt feel safe - bringing some stuff over that's familiar may help with that. Does he have an old hide/basking spot maybe you can bring in?
>>
File: EryfwolXUAAE-jg[1].jpg (446 KB, 2048x1536)
446 KB
446 KB JPG
>>3650911
He settled down now, I'll see what's up tomorrow when the lights come on again. I have a piece of Mangrove rested on a rock for a hide in the same way it was in his old place, but it's on the other side compared to before.

Now I feel like a dick for not thinking about that, I should check if I can put something old in there
>>
>>3649930
why is he looking back at you like "this nigga fuckin serious?"
>>
>>3650869
Don't anthropomorphize reptiles. Reptiles are mostly indifferent to humans with a few exceptions. Some lizards are probably smart enough to 'enjoy' your companionship on some level and also engage in play behaviors but snakes, tortoises/turtle and most lizards could take you or leave you once they're habituated to your presence. Most reptiles have a pretty small range as individuals because being cold blooded makes long journeys difficult.
>>
>>3651327
He noticed my phone moving behind him while I was photographing him, so he turned to look. I think it made him nervous.
>>
>>3651369
my pitbull gives me the same look when i playfully spank his butt, the "i really want to fucking maul you but I just can't be fucking assed rn"
>>
File: 20210115_210810.jpg (1.6 MB, 3088x3088)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>3648022
Just found this cutie in my house, kinda weird since it's the first time I have seen one venturing this deep into the town, would appreciate if someone could identify its species. I just know it's not venomous
>>
File: 20210115_210335.jpg (1.74 MB, 3088x3088)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>3651446
It's a bit pissed off but still looks cute.
>>
>>3651446
>. I just know it's not venomous
Assuming you're in North America, it's definitely not. Some rat or corn snake
>>
>>3651451
Yes, definitely it's one of those. Thanks anon.
>>
>>3651448
so you gonna keep it?
>>
>>3651492
No, I like reptiles but I'm not in a position right now to be able to take care of one. I'll release it in an area far from my home known for being a common habitat for snakes.
>>
>>3649609
Fingers crossed for you.

>>3649619
That's not true in the slightest. It will take her longer, but she will still grow. I have a 2010 boa I got in 2016 that had been underfed to keep him small. He's grown almost a foot in my care and will probably grow more, who knows? I've seen other snakes even older barely bigger than hatchlings and still reach average adult size.
>>
>>3651448
where you located? I'm good at most NA snakes and that one's got me stumped.
Also, in the first pic it looks like he's got slit pupil but I'm assuming that's a perspective trick. He doesn't look like a nightsnake and there aren't many other slit pupil'd colubrids in north america.
State and region or county. My brain won't let this one go till I positively ID it.
>>
File: 20210115_222633.jpg (1.39 MB, 3088x3088)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>3651532
I'm in central mexico, hidalgo state.
>>
>>3651532
Nevermind. Lyresnake. Unless you're not in the southwest US or Mexico.
Banding, head markings and slit pupils all match up.
Cute lil harmless rear-fanged colubrids.
>>
>>3651544
>>3651544
nice!
Definitely a lyresnake then. The banding is pretty unique compared to other NA colubrids.
>>
>>3651548
Thanks a lot. Sometimes I wonder if there's anything more to be found around here. For example, last year I found a giant weevil and a bombardier beetle, which I didn't know lived in this country too. Also I remember seeing a black snake with a yellow belly some years ago, it hid behind some rocks when I got closer.
>>
>>3651576
I wish it was easier to get english-language info on Mexican herps. Range maps often just stop at the border despite that not being accurate. I live in Texas near-ish to the Coahuila border and do a lot of searching for herps in the Texas part of the Chihuahuan desert.
>>
>>3651511
but it came to you :(
it wants to be your friend
>>
>>3651593
That's pretty cool. This country is in need of some exploration. There are many areas in which there's still something new to find.
>>3651596
I don't think it likes me. It doesn't stop trying to bite me through the glass making a funny sound when it hits the glass.
>>
>>3651619
I really need to start herping. Last time I went with my gfs family but they were too terrified for me to pick anything up.
>>
>>3652100
>they were too terrified for me to pick anything up.
Why did their fear prevent you from grabbing them
>>
>>3652149
Appeasement
>>
>>3652164
Gay.
>>
>>3652164
>>3652165
Not appeasement more so I'll have chances to do it next summer and it's not worth the whining ruining the hike
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (12 KB, 176x176)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGcFiUcqSnM
she is your problem now
t. /aq/
>>
>>3652430
I miss her fish :(
>>
>>3652428
What's there to whine about? If they don't want to touch they don't have to
>>
>>3652430
You dick
>>
>>3652430
not enough simp viewers with fish?
>>
>>3652452
Anon you drastically underestimate how fearful people are of snakes. Especially New Yorkers
>>
>>3652617
>hiss
>OY VEY A SCALEY ANTI SEMITE IDS ANUDDA SHOA REMEMBER THE 60 GORILLIAN
>>
>>3652617
rats have every reason to be afraid of snakes
>>
>>3652730
Damn that was way better than my thing
>>
>>3652683
>>3652730
Im not from the city so one thing I dont understand is why these people bother hiking. The thing that separates a hike from a park is that it's in nature. But they don't want to observe or interact with nature. Like just stay in the parks then
>>
>>
File: 20210116_185716[1].jpg (3.48 MB, 3264x2448)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
1 years old today.

Happy Birthday Bruce.
>>
My lizard has torn the background up pretty hard. I used gorilla glue to stick substrate on to a piece of styrofoam, would it be bad for him to patch it up with more of the same inside the terrarium? I assume yes, but I don't actually know.
>>
>>3653454
literally just use cut to fit cork bark flats for background, way easier, better looking and arguably more durable than the dirty glue technique.
>>
Anybody got any idea if I can socialize her? Some people have success handling but I'm not sure how to get her used to me. I tried to move her by hand to clean her enclosure and she bit the fuck out of me

Also
>>3653398
Happy birthday goodboy
>>
Any recommendations on plant lights? I like Arcadia, and the Jungle Dawn looks promising, but I don't know if 60 bucks + shipping is too much. I just have a pothos and some succulents in a 20g tank.
>>
>>3653680
I'm leaning towards this one:
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/josh-s-frogs-green-gro-led-bulb-13-watt.html
>>
File: IMG_20210117_143555819.jpg (3.42 MB, 4608x3456)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB JPG
Help me settle something /herp

I had to switch robins bedding since she started eating moss from her tank. I went with this rocky tile without grout. My friend seems to think the gaps will pinch her toes but she seems to be doing fine so far. I have silicone just in case it doesn't work.
Is it a valid concern or is it just paranoia?
>>
>>3653680
>and the Jungle Dawn looks promisin
I've got that one. Only downside is that it was really bright, if that's even a downside, so I had to stick a layer of tinted film on it as my enclosure wasn't that tall. But it means I won't need to upgrade lighting when I upgrade enclosures.
>>
>>3653721
i cant imagine how bad cleaning it will be
>>
>>3653737
Shouldn't be too bad. She shits in the same spot so a paper towel over that area will make it easy for every day cleanup
>>
>>3653721
That's fine. If you decide to fill the gaps for aesthetic reasons, or to prevent crickets/roaches from jamming themselves in and evading capture, this is one application where sand is appropriate. Just enough to fill the gaps between stones.
>>
File: killing machine.webm (2.69 MB, 480x480)
2.69 MB
2.69 MB WEBM
>>
>>3653811
There is a separate feeding tank I use(gets memed around here occasionally by a shit poster) but thank you so much!
>>
>>3653819
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T12ygsp9Mvg
>>
https://imgur.com/a/NTCBLlI
>>
>>3653819
What kind of frog is that?
>>
File: chubbybaby.jpg (1.6 MB, 4032x3024)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>
>>3654215
rain frog, not sure which species.
>>
>>3654258
>did someone say something about frogs?
>>
File: SnapperJan2021.png (1.24 MB, 658x958)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
My 13 month old Tokay. I raised her since she was in her egg. She's the offspring of the tamed male I post often.
>>
File: friend.webm (1.42 MB, 1080x1080)
1.42 MB
1.42 MB WEBM
>>
>>3654531
Spoopy
>>
>>3650242
>>3650584
Christ almighty if it gets changed to classes rather than families will that settle you down?
>>
>>3654536
if it's up to me herpetology shouldn't be a field anymore
ah yes, the study of weird lizardy looking things that don't have anything to do with each other
yet somehow birbs get their own field but reps and amphs are stuck together
>>
File: 20210117_190554.jpg (2.15 MB, 2984x2718)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>3648022
To anyone interested, the snake I found days ago and asked for its species has been finally been released back. This is a bit of a tangent but I just wish people in this country had more respect towards nature because of pic I don't go to green areas anymore. Never litter please.
>>
>>3655012
when you look around and see stuff like that, I hope you realize building the wall wasn't anything personal. Just has to be this way
>>
>>3655012
Litter would be fine if it wasn't all plastic packaging. Roofing panels, tarps and old furniture make great shelters for wildlife.
>>
>>3655270
Lel
>>
Is it ethical to keep reptiles indoors?
>>
>>3655284
As long as you provide sufficient space and conditions, yes.
>>
File: 1608010965865.png (775 KB, 671x803)
775 KB
775 KB PNG
>>3655284
they give you the illusion of being kept. They can leave at any time they want
>>
>>3655284
Nah it's far more cruelty free to put them out in sub-60 temperatures for half the year, especially the tropical species not native to temperate climates.
>>
>>3655301
>"I had a nightmare can I sleep in your room tonight?"
>>
File: 1549014994836.jpg (81 KB, 960x960)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>3655301
>>
>>3655310
these things can knock over 400 pound refrigerators, tortoises are the strongest reptile.
>>
>>3655310
The jew fears the indoor tortoise breeder.
>>
>>3655369
an important principle with magic is not to make your illusions too grand for the setting you're in
for example, if I make an item vanish and reappear, the further away from me it reappears the less believable the trick is

if you pick a card and I vanish it, and it reappears on the other side of the room you know there was a duplicate set up before hand
but if I vanish the card and it reappears under a napkin that has been sitting on the table in full view the entire time. Maybe I forced the card on you It was set up ahead of time with a duplicate, or maybe it was truly a free choice and you were misdirected as I slipped it under there.
everyone knows you're lying to them when you preform your trick, the real magic is in obscuring when the lie was told
>>
>>3655270
I totally understand. This is not even the worse thing about this zone, the river some hundred of meters ahead used to be full of life with crayfish, turtles and crabs but now is just a blackish green mess and seeing any aquatic animal around is rare.
>>3655278
>Roofing panels, tarps and old furniture make great shelters for wildlife.
They also make a great home upgrade to the first mexican who sees it. They are humanoid vultures. I hope the snake doesn't get confused with some bad omen of sorts since people around here still believe in witches and magic.
>>
File: 99e.png (62 KB, 250x250)
62 KB
62 KB PNG
>Be asleep
>dream I'm volunteering to help construction of Clint Laidlaw's reptile zoo
>sneak off into an empty room to [spoiler]fool around with Emily from snake discovery behind her husband's back[/spoiler]
>pic tangentially related
I gotta get of youtube.
>>
>>3655991
>sneak off into an empty room to [spoiler]fool around with Emily from snake discovery behind her husband's back[/spoiler]
Cringe, but you could probably do it in front of him.
>>
>>3655993
I wouldnt be surprised.
>>
>>3655993
I dunno, sounds like a good way to get a stunted alligator thrown at you
>>
>>3656047
They hang out with furries and trannies, he's 100% cuck
>>
Tried to feed boa again and nothing. She followed it around but never struck and then went back inside her hide. Why won't she strike?
>>
>>3656124
Just shotgunning some ideas
>is it the right temp? Dry or wet from the thaw? Maybe blow-dry it a little?
>Did you try (gently) booping her with it, or at least touching it to her mouth? She could still be too timid to strike, but might take it if its like ON HER FACE.
>This may sound gross, but cut the mouse a little so she can smell the blood/flesh?
>>
>>3656148
Live, but I've done all the other stuff with frozen before
>>
>>3656066
How do people who call others cucks always have the strongest virgin energy?
>>
>>3656154
>strongest virgin energy?
This would only be an insult if if I were to share your perverted, reverse value set, which I don't. Take your jewery elsewhere, niggerfaggot
>>
>>3656124
That's pretty weird
>>
>>3656159
ahaha, faggot! I bet you've never even done coke off a strippers asshole! what kind of loser are you!
>>
>>3656164
>doubles down on being a niggerfaggot
Uh, ok
>>
>sneg eats big meal
>has a fat belly
>goes into the cool hide for 2 days instead of the heat
>still has a lump and looks all bloaty today

uh oh, hes gonna puke isn't he? flipping dumbass over here forgot how into digestion
>>
>>3656124
Actually does she look pre shed? Her eyes are looking cloudier than usual it's just a little hard to tell since she doesn't go blue like normal snakes
>>
>>3656174
Older pic for reference
>>
File: 01f6bonnm3311.jpg (274 KB, 1242x1543)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
look at this fat fuck
>>
>>3656196
Good God
>>
>>3656152
Did the breeders feed live? Could the snake have been attacked by a prey item before and has now associated rodents with something trying to kill it instead of food?

Maybe hang onto the live mouse/rat/whatever and let piss and shit in some bedding for a bit, then like...marinate the thawed ones in it for a bit for some extra rodent smell?
>>
>>3656196
Howd it get so fat
>>
>>3656267
gaboon vipers are naturally fat and sedentary

he's so fat you can even tell where his tail starts
>>
File: 1550845102995.png (2.65 MB, 1280x720)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB PNG
>>3656047
Will never not hate Der Ewige Snake Discovery for constantly talking about how shitty of pets crocodilians are and how you should NEVER EVER get a crocodilian while they literally make money off of their alligator by locking the feeding videos behind their Patreon. Tfu.
>>3656066
>have cute lanklet wife who likes reptiles
>let other people fuck her instead
Only the wicked thrive in this cursed age.
>>
>>3656348
what men don't realize is ED is almost entirely caused by being overweight, and not so much about lower T levels or whatever they try to push on you
it's why heart medication gives you boners by increasing circulation. When you're fat you have worse circulation and therefore worse boners
if he lost some weight he would be able to satisfy her himself

although he would lose the ability to give her the avalanche
>>
>>3656348
>Will never not hate Der Ewige Snake Discovery for constantly talking about how shitty of pets crocodilians are and how you should NEVER EVER get a crocodilian while they literally make money off of their alligator by locking the feeding videos behind their Patreon. Tfu.
I could almost get past this if their "family friendly" material didn't present trannies and furries like they were normal and not to be scorned and shunned by spiritually healthy people.
>>
>>3656545
for me it's the way she says bag. Bayg
look up any snake unboxing for proof
>>
>>3656552
>look up any snake unboxing for proof
No need, I know exactly what you mean. It's just as bad. That Wisconsin accent grinds on the ears.
>>
File: Xenodermus.jpg (178 KB, 1024x683)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
Have there been any attempts to crossbreed dragon snakes? They already look really cool, but perhaps some human intervention would take their aesthetics to the next level.
>>
>>3656767
>Have there been any attempts to crossbreed dragon snakes?
They can hardly be kept alive, much less bred yet.
>>
found a nice discord to talk about a specific kind of reptile
it was new and cool for about 3 days but then suddenly it happened.....someone had a different opinion than someone else

the argument that ruined everything and drove everyone else off
>>
>>3648022
What ate it to give it that walleye look? Or was it not worth it to have any kind of forward facing vision?
>>
>>3656936
This happens all the time in academia where one cannot accept opinions that don't support their studies because they really need that funding, yo.
>>
>>3656936
Your mistake was being in a discord. Here's you can espouse conflicting opinions, get called a faggot, argue to death with someone, and the world will move on. You'll likely end up having a civil conversation with that same person not even an hour later because you don't have retarded names and clique shit gunking up your interactions
>>
>>3656945
>>3656989
here's the thing about it though, one of the guys wasn't even arguing
it was a completely trivial remark about heat gradients where someone said "that seems kind of hot"
and the other guy just wouldn't let it go. The first guy even said I don't care man, do what you like to do, I'm not arguing
and the other guy kept going on and on NO U!
>>
>>3656936
Discord is for fags
>>
>>3656989
>You'll likely end up having a civil conversation with that same person not even an hour later because you don't have retarded names and clique shit gunking up your interactions
I use my advanced autism to recognize /herp/ posters
>>
File: 1592793445897.png (931 KB, 2048x1360)
931 KB
931 KB PNG
>>3657170
this
>>
>>3650869
You have a good heart, but unless your enclosure is WAY too small and shitty the tortoise will be perfectly happy in there, reptiles don't have some kind of ideal of freedom and they would prefer not to roam around all over the place if they don't have to (Which they obviously won't when you're delivering food)
>>
File: 20200105_193431.jpg (2.08 MB, 2560x1920)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>3656936
Trooncord is worse than even r*ddit for discussing niche hobbies. There is nothing good on that cursed app.
>>3657174
If that's true, summon Black-headed Python anon so I may see his cool snakes.
>>
I'm getting a bearded dragon as my first reptile and I'm looking to do a bioactive substrate, I'm having trouble figuring out what kind of trashman insect would be best.
Can woodlice cope in an arid subculture? I've seen springtails suggested but I can't seem to find anyone that sells them in my country.
Also how do you prevent the beardo from just eating all the trashmen?
>>
>>3657420
>Black-headed Python anon
I don't think my sample size for his posts is enough to train my autism to recognize him
>>
>>3657461
>Also how do you prevent the beardo from just eating all the trashmen?
Provide hiding places, and have enough that they breed faster than he eats them. Good luck lol.
>>
>>3657174
Who am I then
>>
>>3657493
Bruce.
>>
>>3657461
woodlice maybe not, go with pillbugs. Armadillidium vulgare aka common pill bug. Went through this last thread with some swedish anon. Isopods that can go full pill mode do better in arid environments. They can still dessicate, but if you're watering enough to keep succulents happy they should be OK.
If you're in Mexico, US or Canada they'll be under pretty much every rock, same for some of Europe, otherwise you might have to find a breeder.
>>
>>3657560
Speaking of, I got the pillbugs from a breeder today. Half of them were already dead, but we'll see where the remaining ones can take it
>>
>>3657656
Which species did you get?
>>
>>3657560
>woodlice maybe not, go with pillbugs
Those terms are either synonymous or pillbugs are a subset of woodlice, depending on usage.
>>
File: IMG_3678.jpg (1.7 MB, 2900x3867)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>3657420
*woma anon
But hey there, have a pic of the wiggly boi soaking
>>
>>3658022
I was convinced I had somehow missed someone with a black head
>>
>>3658047
There's definitely an anon with a blackhead.
>>
>>3658057
Oh shit really? Based, I have an apsidites bro
>>
hmm I guess as a snake gets older it will take longer to poop since it used to poop every 2nd day after feeding and not it poops every 4th day which then I guess supposes I should wait longer between feeding now
>>
File: 1606732067467.jpg (684 KB, 1446x1572)
684 KB
684 KB JPG
>>3648022
I've had a pair of crested geckos for about 9 years. They were making babies (for about a year) a long time. Then stopped. 3 years went by with no eggs.

Then we find a dead baby gecko under the light fixture/above the mesh. Figured it was ancient since we never remove the hood. Chalk it up to a broken latch on the top that left just enough room for a baby to get through. A few weeks later, we found another dead one along a floorboard behind a door 30 feet away. Not impossible, but strange for sure. Then she laid 2 right next to the glass. Well, shit.

I dug out the terrarium, and found 16 eggs. About 8 were hatched. The terrarium is huge. Chances are they either couldn't find the food or got cannibalized.

Point being, guides don't really talk about when/how long crested geckos lay eggs for. You're not told if there's seasons, or how conditions that aren't ideal affect everything, or the appropriate age range. Towards the end of the last cycle, the eggs were just not looking good. Not fertilized, or the embryos were dying. We figured they were done and she wasn't viable any more.

The whole thing irritates me. I have 4 unhatched eggs left. 2 don't look fertilized. And she hasn't laid any more in a month, which doesn't follow her old cycle of every-3-weeks. I don't know.
>>
File: 1581869786014.png (2.12 MB, 1280x839)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB PNG
>>3658274
Here's an old picture of one of their previous babies. 11 weeks old.
>>
>>3658274
this post made me feel bad
>>
>>3657828
Vulgare as was recommended to me. I can't speak on their effectiveness yet, but they're in there now.
>>
File: 1598082956134.jpg (651 KB, 1591x2121)
651 KB
651 KB JPG
>>3658022
Woma's are assholes.

You guys ever get a herp knowing damn well it was going to be an asshole and you'd never be able to cuddle with it, but fuck it, because it looks awesome?
>pic related, one of mine
And yeah, she's a total cunt. Already got snapped. 5 rapid-fire back-to-back bites on my finger for daring to adjust her cage at night.
>>
File: 1611134904971.jpg (26 KB, 403x428)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>3658336
That was one of her baby pictures from where she was still transitioning from red to green.
>>
File: 1596787305234.jpg (416 KB, 1351x1764)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
>>3658340
>>3658336
>>
>>3658336
>Woma's are assholes.
What makes you say that?
>>
File: 1590279170967.jpg (929 KB, 2121x1591)
929 KB
929 KB JPG
>>3658542
I had a woma for a few years. She'd only chill out a few days after feeding and get progressively more irritable as the days went by until her next feeding. I had schedule cleaning her habitat to 3 days after she ate because moving her was downright dangerous.

She was only about 5', but she was the most energetic snake I've had. So damn fast. Along with scheduling around her feeding time, I also had to turn off her heat for a couple days to sap her speed and motivation to fight back.

In the last year or so, I resorted to using trickery. Like, I'd take a zip-up pillow case with only 1 small entry, and put a wrapping paper roll into that entry hole. Then just wait until she slithered into the hole via the wrapping paper roll tunnel, and quickly seal off the pillow case. Then I could sit her to the side safely while cleaning her terrarium.

Bitches be crazy.

The Emerald Tree Boa would be impossible to use that same trick on, since he's arboreal. Thankfully he came out a lot more docile than their reputation would lead you to expect.

Pic unrelated. A couple of my gophers.
>>
>>3658336
Kween!
>>
>>3658550
Sounds like a turbo cunt individual
>>
File: dwight.png (1.25 MB, 671x707)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
Dwight.
>>
What’s the best food to give to a box turtle?
I’ve had mine for a while now and I want to make his diet better.
>>
>>3658630
A varied diet. Lots of greens, a little fruit, a little root vegetable, some insect protein or dog food. And supplement calcium.
>>
File: Uromastyx-care[1].jpg (340 KB, 1000x750)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
anyone here had experience with uromastyx lizards?
>>
>>3658652
Yea there's a couple. Pancake and the red one who's name I can't remember
>>
>>3658652
I kept one through middle school to college. Pro tip: do not keep it in your bedroom, even if your mom says you have to. You will sweat your balls off.
>>
>>3658644
What kind of fruits are best for them?
>>
>>3658710
Feed a variety and it will be fine.
>>
>>3658710
Go nuts, basically.
>>
>>3658721
>>3658727
They seem to like them some watermelon too.
https://youtu.be/xTLhnRxOnBQ
>>
>>3658728
>that little squeak 2 minutes in
>>
Hey, soon to be bearded dragon owner here.
The information on how exactly to feed bearded dragons seems to be all over the place, some say that you should feed them both salad and insects every day. Some say you should alternate, some say you should go on a salad->insect->fasting day->repeat rotation. Some say that one fasting day a week is good, some don't mention fasting at all.
Do you guys have an >opinion?
The dragon I'm getting is an adult for reference.
>>
>>3657936
>pillbugs are a subset of woodlice
yeah, that's kinda how i meant it. Growing up I was taught that woodlice that can't roll into a ball and pillbugs can. Both terms are colloquial in any case.
Terrestrial isopods that can roll into balls generally are better at survival in dry climates, since one reason they roll up is to prevent dessication.
>>
>>3658760
Offer fresh veggies daily. Feed bugs thrice a week. If you're especially wanting to proteinmaxx the dragon, offer a pinky or fuzzy mouse in place of the bugs every so often, maybe thrice a month.
How big is the enclosure going to be?
>>
>>3658766
120*60*60, in centimeters.
>>
>>3658769
Mwah, beautiful. For the record, that is the feeding schedule my old beardie was on. I had him from my fifth birthday until junior year of highschool.
>>
>>3658774
I'll be sure to post pictures when I get him on sunday so you guys can tell me all the shit I've set up wrong.
>>
>>3658550
Sounds like you just got a particularly food driven one. My boy only ever tagged me once because he just overshot the rings during a feed. Come to think about it that's pretty much the only time I've taken a bite from any of mine despite keeping species that have reputations for being bitey assholes as a species. My woma? Mellow. Sumatran shorty? Mellow (granted I respect when she's had her fill of my antics). Jungle carpets? Mellow. Hell I once had an ATB that only tried to pop me once in the few years I kept it.
>>
>>3658652
all I know is they can live on top of seeds and will eat the floor which is pretty neat
>>
Say hello to [TBA] who just ate his first mouse with me
>>
File: 1595274383715.jpg (188 KB, 1219x1221)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>3658854
I only got tagged once. I knew it was coming, though. Pic related. He got out of his cage somehow, and set up shop on this coax cable. I had to peel him off the cable. I didn't want to use gardening gloves or anything because I felt like they'd give me less control and delicacy. So I did, and he tagged me 6 times, all on the same finger. Just rapid-fire snaps. Thankfully he was still small, so it was nothing major. Enough to get blood beaded at the puncture sites, but that's it.
>>
>>3658951
sheeeit, how bigs that hogger? post an after picture, I want to see how inflated he is
>>
File: Forty_keks.jpg (49 KB, 600x528)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>3658969
>yeah fine, this is close enough to a branch, fuck it.
>>
Are rhino rats a good first snake? I think they look pretty cool and I'm kind of used to keeping tropical reptiles.
>>
>>3648058
>>
>>3659089
Tainted gypsy blood, probably sucked his mom’s veiny tit and got some of that jew blood
>>
>>3659087
>Are rhino rats a good first snake?
Probably not ideal, but possibly doable if you are experienced with herps
>>
>>3659089
>>3659091
What
>>
>>3658951
A goliath of a hogger.
>>
>>3659102
I have some geckos, some frogs and a chameleon and I've had them for about 8 years now. I've never had snakes before though. Are they more sensitive than other colubrids besides the more tropical care requirements?
>>
>>3659197
>Are they more sensitive than other colubrids besides the more tropical care requirements?
Fuck if I know. They aren't common, so there's probably a reason for that. Just do some research and see what you find
>>
>>3659197
from what I hear they're pretty basic to keep once they're eating f/t rodents but they start out on live fish. Don't keep them like a tropical though, they're kinda like cresteds and can't take sustained temps over 80f/27c. So they're a bit touchier than some other snakes, but not to the point I'd tell a successful chameleon keeper to avoid one. I would suggest holding out for one that's already on frozen/thawed mice if you haven't been through the process of transitioning a snake from one food to another though.
>>
File: Hydronastes-gigas1.jpg (320 KB, 712x475)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>3658976
By the time I saw this he was in his hide, but I'll show his lump next week.
>>3659116
I'm surprised and very glad he was willing to eat so soon. I opened his enclosure and he was following my finger around so I was like fuck it he's definitely hungry.

Has anyone here owned a False Water Cobra? They seem pretty cool, and after getting a hognose I'm kinda interested in another rear fang down the road.
>>
File: 1606657752711.jpg (833 KB, 2610x1800)
833 KB
833 KB JPG
>>3658277
>>3658274
Addendum: Had an egg hatch today. This guy is 4 hours old. Appears to be scared of US currency. We are, too, little guy. We are, too.
>>
File: 1582370769937.jpg (1.13 MB, 2736x1635)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB JPG
>>3659870
>>
>>3659870
>>3659872
Nice man. I love when babies hatch. Hope he turns out healthy and strong and survives.
>>
Hello, need some tips here, my peach throat; although not aggressive will sometimes bite me on the arm after closely inspecting it for a while. Anyone have any idea of why he does this?
>>
>>3659870
>Appears to be scared of US currency.
Heh
>>
>>3659920
>the arm after closely inspecting it for a while. Anyone have any idea of why he does this?
Don't have monitors, but sounds like "tf is this? Is it food? Hmm, better check" behavior
>>
>>3659922
Yeah, that's what I assumed. Not sure how to fix it as lizards and most animals just do that as instinct
>>
>>3659972
I'd establish a feeding time routine. Maybe target training or "hip to be Square" or whatever, so he figures out food is only around when those things happen
>>
File: Obrazek-28[1].jpg (232 KB, 1280x960)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>3658652
they cute :3
>>
>>3659870
So checkup, how's he doing?
>>
>>3660104
speaking of checkups, where's the anon with the non-eating boa? I hope the little fuck's doing alright.
>>
File: 1594565789453.jpg (1.76 MB, 3840x2160)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>3660104
Just chillin'.
>>
File: 1541905515572.png (675 KB, 1280x720)
675 KB
675 KB PNG
>baby kings of various localities all eat F/T mice consistently
>adult females also feeding consistently
>200+ gram sub-sdult male has decided he actually hates food, alive or dead
And no, he's not entering brumation. He still zooms around his tank every dawn and dusk, but if I dare present him with a mouse he looks at me like pic related.
>>
>>3659985
I have a routine, albeit somewhat malleable. I'll make it exact though now. Thanks!
>>
File: 123.jpg (495 KB, 2048x1536)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
my skink was sitting in a cramped shitbox, so I decided to change that
>>
>>3660189
very nice
>>
File: 20210120_191310.jpg (2.01 MB, 4032x3024)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>
>>3660136
I want to know about the non-eating hognose
he stopped posting so I fear the worst
>>
>>3660292
Nice
>>
>>3660292
What is this?
>>
>>3660413
We always heard bad things about the Ridley but after just a few weeks of consistent handling he has become a sweety.
>>
>>3660511
Ridley Thai cave racer
>>
>>3660511
see >>3660513 - ridley/cave dwelling/beauty rat snake
>>
>>3660292
>>
>>3660532
post him again when he's out of shed, those colors are great even in blue, I wanna see him fresh
>>
Looking to get some garters later in the year when there are babies to be had and it isn't fucking freezing out, and I'm trying to plan shit out now while I wait. Thinking of bulk processing a bunch of chicken hearts/livers, tilapia, and maybe some earthworm into tiny bits, then freezing individual servings of what would effectively be Snake Chow to take out and thaw as needed, but what the fuck constitutes a proper sized meal for a snake when you're serving diced up meat?
I know the general rule of thumb for regular snakes (preferably one rodent about the size of the thickest part of it's body), but what about garters? Should I go for the equivalent mass of an appropriately sized prey item? Is there a growth/weight chart anywhere that I'm just missing?
The general consensus seems to be "feed them until they dont want to eat anymore," and sure they're active little fucks so I assume they'll burn a pretty substantial amount of food, so maybe that's okay?
I feel like I'm overthinking it maybe, but I want to do this as optimally as possible and "feed a snake that's known to be a good eater as much food as it wants" seems like a fucking brainlet take.
>>
>>3660136
Still not eating lol. Tried again with live. Currently taking care of the mouse to try again. I'm gonna pull the trigger and have my gf schedule the ultrasound appointment on Monday while I'm at work

>>3660532
>>3660533
>>3660292
Very beautiful animal. I'm jealous
>>
>>3660547
whelp I guess just let them have what they want and if they start getting too fat put them on diets

I fed my snake last week and after he finished his mouse he was still obviously looking for more so I gave him another because he skipped 2 weeks of meals to shed
and after he finished another he was still looking for more to eat and I considered a 3rd but I decided against it. Then the following week I gave him 2 mice again and now he'll be back on 1 going forward

he wont ever pass up food though now that I speak his language and know how he likes to be fed
>>
>>3660547
natricines are a bit different from rodent eaters. A good take with garters is feed em as much as they want in a meal and if they're getting fat give them longer between meals. Unless you're feeding them whole mammals, they're fatty compared to fish and chicken muscle.
>>
File: 20210116_170356_1.webm (2.87 MB, 1920x1080)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB WEBM
glomps you :3
>>
Anyone have any info on what morphs of spotted pythons are available in the states? Granite is just about all I can find but I'm new to all this so maybe there's somewhere I'm just not looking.
>>
File: 1601925475634.jpg (53 KB, 500x377)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Need help, /herp/. I've got a corn snake terrarium that's bioactive, about 2 1/2 months old and the snake has been in it for about a month now. It's developed a bad gnat problem that's spilling out into my home. I've left a tub of apple cider vinegar but that barely helps, and I have Pinguicula Butterwort on the way to add the terrarium too.
What else can I do without totally replacing the substrate and without potentially hurting the snake?
>>
>>3660147
With all the shit going on do you ever wonder what you'd do if you couldn't get crested gecko diet? Like if the virus shit or something similar got real bad and they just said fuck it to making their food.
>>
>>3660861
Cresties can eat more than just Repashy, you know.
>>
Foreign roaches don't do great for me. I'm considering breeding American roaches from a few wild caught ones. Separating the egg cases from the first ones and starting the colony from there. I believe parasites wouldn't be able to get into the egg cases. What do you think?
>inb4 just do the tropical roaches
Entertain my mental illness
>>
>>3660840
Do you have isopods and springtails in there?
>>
>>3660547
I typically feed as much as they will eat unless they're eating whole pinkies. My newborns ate maybe 1-2 tiny chunks of earthworms or fish at a time. Now they're eating halves of mouse pinks and some could probably take a second, but not yet big enough to comfortably swallow a whole pink. Once they're eating whole pinks I go by the lump size - move up to 2 pinks when they can comfortably handle it, and then go to rat pinks once they can handle it. They would eat probably eat 3-5 tiny chunks of worms at their current size.

I would just offer what you think could be an appropriate amount. If they're still looking for more, add some more. If they keep leaving leftovers, then try to reduce the amount of food by however much they leave. It doesn't have to measured out or anything, just eyeball it, as they will probably eat just a tiny bit more each feeding.
>>
>>3660902
Yes, temperate springs and I put one culture of dwarf whites which I think was 10 or so individuals a couple of weeks ago, so they're definitely not fully mature.
>>
>>3660967
>so they're definitely not fully mature.
Then this may help once their population is established. Other than that, I'm not sure what you could do other than gnat traps
>>
>>3660868
I found my cresties go nuts for unsweetened applesauce.
>>
Blogpost because my friends know jack shit about reptiles.

Currently waiting till the vet is open on monday to make another appointment. I waited my entire youth to move out and finally be able to own a snake and my first one is starving itself. Feelsbadman.

I just wanted to take care of a cool animal and now it feels like Im slowly killing one.
>>
File: IMAG1545.jpg (2.47 MB, 3000x4000)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
>>3660204
thanks, anon
>>
>>3661218
I'm certain at this stage in the game it will be assist feeding going forward
>>
>>3661218
Yeah man that fuckin' sucks. Rest assured that this is not at all your fault, and this is extremely abnormal.
>>
>>3661218
I think the breeder you bought from fucked you desu. That growth/cyst whatever should have been something they noticed. It very well could be that he's sick, has been sick since you got him, and has been too miserable to eat since. See if the vet can maybe do an assist feed while you're there, you gotta get SOMETHING into him.
>>
>>3661245
>>3661266
Do you think if I brought an f/t mouse they could assist feed her? I mean I doubt it but I feel like it'd be better than tube feeding.

>>3661252
Thanks anon. It really helps to hear it. That was one good part about the vet. Letting me know my husbandry isn't fucked
>>
>>3661303
https://youtu.be/SFlFPlPNMho
video is for a ball python (obviously) but it's basically the same drill. SMALL food item, not forced down the throat, but get the shoulders of the rodents wedged behind the snake's recurved teeth.
>>
>>3661326
Hope it doesn't come to this, though it likely will, but thanks for the vid man. Definitely better than winging it
>>
>>3661303
>Do you think if I brought an f/t mouse they could assist feed her?
I feel like thats their job honestly, you're paying for their time and practiced hands to treat your animal
>>
>>3661303
>>3661365
I would definitely call beforehand and ask if they can help you with that, you dont want to spring anything on them, but yeah.
>>
>>3661415
>>3661365
Yeah I was gonna call ahead of time.

If they say know should I try it on my own before or after the appointment
>>
File: vetn201784221_f04.jpg (511 KB, 1454x1079)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
>>3661417
Not a really good idea. While their glottis is WAY WAY farther forward than a persons, you very well could end up suffocating the snake if you dont know what you're doing.
>>
>>3660538
Will do, but he just started his shed. It will be a while.
>>
>>3661431
Wait so do I assist feed or not? Obviously Id watch vids beforehand but fair point
>>
>>3661439
Let the vet know before the appointment you're bringing a f/t rodent, and ask him to walk you through the process in person.
>>
File: 81XRYvDwE_L._SL1500_.jpg (161 KB, 1500x1125)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>3661440
I'm of course asooming this is a vet trained in exotics and not just a dog/cat/rabbit normoid.
>>
does anyone have any frog setups they would like to share?
>>
>>3661439
I meant trying on your own isn't a good idea.
If the vet can't do it FOR you try to see if they can at least show you how, maybe walk you through it on the first one. I have to assume vets have an equivalent to "first do no harm," and I have to assume "please help me prevent my snake from starving to death" falls under that.
>>
>>3661442
Yeah it is. I just don't know how they'll react cus of covid
>>
>>3661457
I mean you're not feeding him a mink I'm sure it'll be okay.
>>
>>3661472
Pretty sure he's referring to the fact that vets aren't allowing owners into their facilities with their pets
>>
>>3661477
ah. well shit. well maybe lean in on the dying animal thing.
>can you assist feed my starving boy
>no
>can you show me how to assist feed my boy
>no
>so I guess I'll see you in a few weeks to cremate his corpse then?
>>
>>3661481
this is of course all assuming they refuse to help.
>>
>>3661481
There should be vids up online to learn how to assist feed. During my petco wagie days I learned how to do it that way since the GM didn't like sending stubborn ball pythons off to the vet to be fed. A lot of it is just getting the right leverage on the snake's jaw using the rodent to encourage opening, controlling the body, and not just ramming the thing in like a madman
>>
>>3661484
>>3661488
Well I'll see. Worst case I know they'll tube feed her and that will give me a week to research and learn assist feeding
>>
>>3661494
You got this man, again it's not that difficult, especially given that boas have a decently sized head to actually wrangle and aren't super fragile little things. I pray that you never know the hell of trying to force feed a baby corn snake
>>
>>3661499
I can only fucking imagine. Shit must be stressful
>>
File: 1478406922086.jpg (211 KB, 633x758)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>3661499
You know what's worse than forcefeeding tiny baby colubrids? Removing eyecaps from tiny baby colubrids.
>>
>>3661505
I can do you one better- ever try to help a baby gtp remove caps? You'd think I'd jammed my hand into a fucking used needle box at the doctors office. The worst part is that they're so incredibly fragile that you can't really restrain them.
>>
File: cute_caiman.jpg (22 KB, 720x540)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>3661506
The only thing I've done that can top that is fixing a shitty nasty prolapsed vent in a chicken but that's not relevant to this thread so instead I will post a caiman.
>>
>>3661512
chickens are reptiles too.
>>
>>3661512
Eh, some would argue that birds and reptiles are close enough for it to be relevant.
>>
File: BkFvSBmCAAAFhKO.jpg (55 KB, 720x480)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>3661514
This is the non-avian extant diapsid general my guy.
>>
New thread when we're done here
>>3661508
>>
>>3661519
>no tail fluke
Delete it and try again nigger.
>>
>>3661477
I assume vets are the same as regular doctors in that they realize covid restrictions are BS
>>
>>3661523
You're not my dad!
>>3661549
I wish they fucking did. After 18 years of being around the family my cat died alone because of those restrictions preventing us from going in. Chaps my ass like you wouldn't believe anon.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.