[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Previous thread: >>3577317
>>
File: Minimum size.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
OP here, I have decided to remove a number of links from the copy-paste I originally added years ago. I figure the only people looking at the copy-paste are new people entering /aq/ for the first time, so I've cleaned it up a bit with that in mind. If you have good resources for people just entering the hobby post them so they can be added to next thread.
>>
File: 1605027344689.png (644 KB, 900x1296)
644 KB
644 KB PNG
>>
gonna get some ember tetras for my snail/betta 10 gallon ins around 10 weeks.!
>>
>>3582162
>I have decided to remove a number of links from the copy-paste I originally added years ago
Lol I was the one who made the copypasta back in 2018
idk why you would remove the loach and catfish and rainbowfish links which are all written by people with tons of experience but keep aquariumwiki
>>
>>3582174
>Lol I was the one who made the copypasta back in 2018
multiple people have added to it, the original one was just a skeleton if you are the one who wrote it. I took off those links because when I originally added them I thought /aq/ could benefit from them, but now I seriously doubt the user base on /aq/ is even able to use that information. The majority people posting are people who need help or starting out, so I've opted for a more concise web link list based off the user base. Aquarium Wiki is great for people who are just entering. They don't need information on the newest undescribed loach or even a rarer loach, if they are at the point they want such detailed information they surely wouldn't be reading the copy paste.

stuff like this >>3582168 is what I think is what the copy paste should be for, let autistic hobbyists like myself or yourself splurge out in thread itself. But really this is just a thread on 4chins, you can do whatever you want with the thread.

t. former lfs co-owner who did all the customer education BS
>>
>>3582183
>t. former lfs co-owner who did all the customer education BS
Why'd you get out of the business? Not profitable? Too much bullshit?
>>
>>3582162
Good, thought the 9 copy-pasta links were getting annoying but never said anything.
>>
>>3582196
>Why'd you get out of the business?
The other owner slowly starting losing his passion for the hobby. Before we would quarantine fish, refuse sales to obvious idiots, do special orders for the rarest species available, do new display tanks, etc, etc. After a while he just stopped caring and our store went to shit because of it. I couldn't be there every single day so every day he was there he was effectively undoing all of our work. Sick fish for sale, ordering in crap stock like fishbowls, took down all the display tanks because he thought they were a waste of time/money/space, would straight up avoid talking about cycling to obvious new fish keepers, and etc.

He wasn't willing to sell his ownership to me and I could clearly see he was intent on destroying our store so I left.
>>
File: IMG_2988.jpg (812 KB, 3024x4032)
812 KB
812 KB JPG
Rate my new fish. His name is zero.
>>
>>3582210
That sucks. Hope being back to a hobbyist brings you more joy.
>>
File: mllml.jpg (41 KB, 609x658)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
sup
>>
>>3582288
I'm doing the same thing for a 3 hour drive, would I need an air pump? I was gonna throw the filter media in a bucket of tank water and keep the tank with a few inches of water in it to keep the gravel soaked
>>
File: 20190803_055917.jpg (987 KB, 2253x3274)
987 KB
987 KB JPG
>>3582314
nah, it'll be fine.
>>
File: pzzud664rd061.jpg (690 KB, 2084x4184)
690 KB
690 KB JPG
Hello everyone, can you please identify what type of gold fish are these cuties?
I'm seriously puzzled about the first one.
>>
>>3582349
1. cute goldfish
2. very cute goldfish
3. also cute goldfish
4. another cute goldfish
>>
>>3582349
all young/stunted Oranda. First one is just a cull someone didnt bother actually culling
>>
is it okay to overfeed my fish if i do daily 40% waterchanges ?
i want them to grow big and bulky.
>>
File: 20191128_170455.jpg (1.15 MB, 3112x2549)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
>>3582393
You'd do better to just provide a variety of high quality foods that fill different requirements. What fish?
>>
Seriously wtf is this shit? Fungus? Algae?
>>
>>3582349
Deformed cripples
>>3582472
Yes
>>
>>3582314
I would. It's a good thing to have an air pump backup in general, so you might as well get one now and use it for the drive. I like using the USB powered air pumps you can get on eBay for like $8 paired with a cheap power bank.
>>
plantlet here, can i start up a planted tank with only slow growers?
>>
File: image0.jpg (2.04 MB, 4032x3024)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
Any recommendation for a nano background plant does doesn't spread via runners like vallisneria? I'm probably going to pull out all the vals behind the rock, I'm trying to keep this as low maintainance as possible
>>
>>3582528
Java fern? I always thought of it as the nano amazon sword
>>
>>3582529
I was thinking of something to plant in the substrate
>>
>>3582534
apontogeton
>>
>>3582506
Sure, just use appropriately low/medium lighting.

>>3582528
Crypt spiralis or crypt balansae, but they might get too tall. Java fern might be better. Maybe rosette sword.

>>3582546
Absolutely do not
>>
>>3582554
>Sure, just use appropriately low/medium lighting.
My light is low so I think it should be ok. I'm just worried about the cycling process. Won't the plants melt in the beginning? Should I plant heavy right from the start and see what survives or go light?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
so i got some new plants and to my surprise it had some really welcomed guests, mystery snail babies!
now there's three cuties in my tank, but the problem is i've seen my fishies bully them and one is big enough to vore it but then spits it out, are they going to be okay?
also how long before they mature and start laying eggs ?
>>
>>3582561
That's a fukken bladder snail my dude.
>>
>>3582561
i had ramshorn that came with my plants and they have multiplied now. It's only been just over a month.
>>
File: 4yWB.gif (1.89 MB, 400x225)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB GIF
my goldies are eating the aquarium plants,
should i be worried or be happy they're eating their greens?
>>
I miss having an aquarium bros, but I have lupus and it makes it really fucking hard to keep up on the care.
>>
>>3582607
If you have the money many lfs have a service where they do that for you
Though in these times I'm not sure if they do
>>
>>3582608
I don't, and I'm currently living in an apartment where they do a check every six months. But I'll be getting into a house in the few years, so maybe I'll just fill my soul with all these cute pictures you guys got.

I'm sure once I am in a place and settled, I could make a low maintenance tank work.
>>
File: image0.jpg (2.65 MB, 4032x3024)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
Minimum filtration for a betta
>>
File: l018.webm (2.82 MB, 1280x720)
2.82 MB
2.82 MB WEBM
Here is a rare glimpse of the elusive L018 pleco
I see him twice a month or so - only comes out when its completely dark
Had a major cleaning today, so decided to clean his cave a little, and check if he is alive
( idk if its a male or a female btw, "he" is about 2 years old now )
>>
File: 32423.jpg (2.42 MB, 3568x2728)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB JPG
How can i improve my aquarium at this point?
Already planning on daily 15% water changes.
the filter is the top part with sponges and round ceramics, and the two plants are alive (although i doubt the one on the right will since they love to nibble on it)
>>
>>3582647
>How can i improve my aquarium at this point?

an obvious b8, but i will reply just for the sakes of new anons in the hobby

increase its volume to a minimum of 250 liters
for the goldfish ( 100-150 for the first, +50 for each additional)
>>
>>3582647
>How can i improve my aquarium at this point?
Pick up the whole thing then put it in the dumpster. Do some research for next time.
>>
>>3582657
Considering he asked about what kind of goldfish each one was above (and was promptly answered a couple times that they're all deformed/stunted orandas), I'm leaning towards this being unfortunately real.
>>
>>3582613
Related note: I'm going to give canister filters a try. Over the years I've used sponge filters, HOB, sumps, and, yes, way back in the day when I was super young I had undergravel garbge. So I figure I'll give canister a shot primarily because I don't feel like setting up another sump at the moment.

>>3582610
Good luck, and it's super easy to make a low maintenance tank these days with all the widely available info.
>>
>>3582168
Bless you anon. May your crusades be ever a success
>>
>>3582657
>>3582660
>>3582661
dont worry, i will upgrade if they do grow bigger and arent as the others had described them as stunted.
maybe in a year or less.
>>
>>3582718
>fish already clearly stunted
>"I will upgrade if they do grow bigger"
>fish get even more stunted and malformed over the next year
>"Oh they didn't get bigger I'll just keep this tank"
This hobby is not for you.
>>
>>3582788
that's how i had gotten them from the store if they really are stunted.
please explain how they will 'deform' even more.
>>
File: 9.png (35 KB, 625x626)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
>>3582647
>buy actual tank
>set up actual tank
>cycle actual tank
>move fish to actual tank
>pick up this failed abortion
>throw this failed abortion out of the window
>throw a few Molotov cocktails out of the same window to ensure proper destruction
>>
>>3582801
fish in tanks that are too small for them (like that abomination you posted) don't grow properly. Their outer bodies stay relatively still while their internal organs grow, causing deformations.
And please, PLEASE read up on this hobby before you buy your next fish after you inevitably kill those poor few,
>>
>>3582555
Checked
If the plants melt because of the cycle, it would be from nitrites. Use water changes to keep the nitrites around 1ppm. That's plenty to complete the cycle but shouldn't be too hard on the plants. Otherwise you can complete the cycle on an empty tank and put the plants in afterward
>>
>>3582837
remember the date because a year from now i shall return with my golden ones and they will be a sight to be seen
>>
Thinking of getting back into the hobby after 15 years. I'm fucking amazed by all the progress that has been made this past decade. Specially plants and plant care. Back in my day, only about 50% of the fish you could get were bred in captivity. Now that number is closer to 95%.

Anyways, I'm thinking about a 60 - 75 gallon planted tank to get me started. Can't decide what to stock with. My first option was the quintessential south American fish tank: hatchet fish at the top, tetras/angelfish at the middle and Corydoras/plecos at the bottom. This is a tried and true formula, but it's a bit boring.

My second option was a rainbowfish tank. These weren't available anywhere 15 years ago, so they're pretty intriguing to me and there are also a ton of species to choose from. Supposedly they're easy to care for and the only real downside is their price. Is this true? I wanted to ask people here since I've never kept them before. I also have no idea of what other fish I'd stock them with, if any.
>>
>>3582561
>>3582564
Definitely looks like a bladder snail

>>3582647
Give the goldfish away and buy a heater and a betta
>>
>>3582226
Cool fish
>>
Is this a female and pregnant? I have another danio that isn’t bloated like pic related. This happened after I started feeding them live baby brine shrimp.
>>
why is this thread so quality?
>>
>>3582647
please kys, why do you even bother asking questions when you selectively ignore information you don't want to deal with?
>>
File: 34gh663w4fawfefgh.jpg (2.03 MB, 3024x4032)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>3582664
>I'll give canister a shot

what model are you thinking about?
for what aquarium volume?
I had 4 different canisters myself throughout the years, and i did lots of research before buying this one
>>
>>3582955
>using superior notebook filtration system
absolute chad
>>
File: yee_claw.png (256 KB, 473x485)
256 KB
256 KB PNG
>>3582159
I guess he found out?
>>
>>3582939
Wholesome hobby on a slow board.
>>
File: w45g7h354.jpg (1.14 MB, 2904x3271)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
>>3582958

i'm nerd-noting water parameters and everything aquarium related
this was circulation planning
>>
>>3582961
wot
>>
>>3582955
Two tanks in mind, one is a 75G and another is a 20G. Yes, quite odd for me to use a canister on the 20G but I'm frankly annoyed with the HOB due to it starting to fail and the rattling of the lid (of which I don't even use anymore) and the lack of separation between the intake and outflow. In most aquariums the latter one doesn't bother me but because this is a heavily planted tank with a lot of rockwork, it impedes flow on the other side of the tank tremendously, and I'd rather not put in a wavemaker in this case.

75G I haven't decided on what it'll be, but most likely discus.

As for models, I've barely started researching. Amazon had a sale on a Penn Plax that looked cheap enough to justify on the 20G. Haven't even begun to look into ones for a 75G yet.
>>
>>3582977
Look up gyre flow. It's recently gotten more popular in saltwater tanks to keep detritus suspended in the water column and off of the sandbed until it gets to the filter sock.

The advantage of it over your setup is it may be less prone to blowing around finer substrates.
>>
>>3582988
>gyre flow

this looks interesting, and the tube demonstrations are impressive - although all the videos i could find are showing saltwater setups
would be worth looking more into, but i am preparing my aquarium for the shrimps, so instead of a circulation pump im looking for a small used canister - i will put a "sponge glove" on both intakes and hopefully, shrimps will hide from the flow in the plants
>>
File: Untitled.png (15 KB, 1252x910)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>3582994
you can easily make gyre by having pic related, you dont need any special pump. You get a gyre pump when you need then ridiculous flow required by saltwater
>>
>>3582985
Quick dissenting opinion. Embracing the mulm can be great. 12-18 Months in I've got a few booming tanks with little to no flow and along with algae blooms fading, the tank pretty much reduces it all breakdown nothing. Might not be what you want or your fish need though.
>>
File: flow.png (23 KB, 1252x910)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>3582997
yeah, but it will either blow in one direction only, or using a flute with a decreased flow-power
gyre does look like it might be too powerful for a planted tank though
>>
File: PXL_20201122_215813806.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>3583024
lol what? Surely a notebook chad would be able to think better. You use a spray bar or flare nozzle to create head pressure and jetstion the water at a slight angle upwards, creating a single stream to the other end of the tank. Once it hits the other side it bounces down and creates the gyre.

>gyre does look like it might be too powerful for a planted tank though
It is beyond powerful, it has zero place in a planted tank, save for a hillstream biotope. Why exactly do you want flow and what kind? They have random flow nozzles like pic related. They work quite well, the only downside is that they are still quite directional like a powerhead. Using a random flow does exactly what you drew in your picture. You can use a bulb or spin lily pipe if your plumbing allows it, they create the perfect flow for planted tanks in my experience. Currently my favorite method is just having a circulation pump on a hourly timer. My return line is just enough to keep water moving but not enough to stress nano fish and kick up detritus. The circulation pump blasts the tank for about two minutes every hour, kicking up everything. This way I maintain the benefits of both low and high flow.
>>
>>3582961
yee claw
>>
>>3583074

ah! interesting nozzle you have there, never seen those before!
>Why exactly do you want flow and what kind
i was just showing my canister to an anon who is looking to get one, and then the whole circulation-talk started
i do need a decent flow because of the L018 pleco: >>3582618
so every other fish i have are accustomed to some degree of flow
i want some amano shrimp, so i need to get rid of my circulation pump - i turn it off on timer for 6 hours at night, so fish can get some sleep, and shrimps will surely get chopped in the morning sooner or later.
so im probably buying a small used eheim canister instead
>>
I want to do a 5 gallon planted tank. Can I put shrimp in one or is it too small for shrimp? Also curious on any other recommended living beings that would be fine in a 5 gallon. If it is too small for anything living I will just grow plants in it. Thanks.
>>
>>3583107
shrimp were born to fill that niche anon
>>
File: PXL_20201122_223401059.jpg (2.14 MB, 4032x3024)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>3583097
hmm in that case I think just a regular lily pipe would satisfy the nugget, pic not related. I don't even know if you are asking for recommendation, but good luck notebook anon. Flow is such a tricky and tedious thing to do perfectly
>>
>>3583107
Absolute minimum I've seen working is one shrimp in a 2 gallon micro tank. You should be good.
>>
>>3583108
Thank you, friend. I will look into some shrimps and a decent 5 gallon. So far I can only find expensive 5 gallon kits.
>>
>>3583112
5 gallon tank is like 10-15 dollars, sponge filter with air pump is 15 dollars, white grow led bulb is 10 dollars, standard light fixture is 15, and a another 10 for a timer. Bag of substrate can be however expensive you want it to be.

Does this fit your budget anon
>>
>>3583119
I already have a spare (cartridge) filter that I was considering using.
I also found this kit which has a built in filter, do these work okay?: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/marineland-portrait-glass-led-aquarium-kit

What you suggested does fit my budget though.
>>
>>3583132
built in filters are great, fuck what I wrote just get that. Just pick up some sponge or extra media so you can modify the filter, since I'm almost certain they are gonna put memes in there.
>>
>>3582994
>>3582997
>>3583024
Yeah definitely do not get the gyre-branded gyre pumps. Not only are they expensive and way more powerful than you need, but they're also notoriously less reliable than normal wavemakers.

>>3582997
The problem with this setup is pic related. It's what happened when I put my HOB on the side of the tank instead of the back (where the problem would be even worse).

With minimal amount of hardscape or even plants, it's just not going anywhere.
>>
>>3583147
Totally forgot the pic.
>>
File: 20190127_182935.jpg (1.08 MB, 5312x2988)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
>>3583132
>>3583140
Holy shit anon, I COMPLETELY forgot. Lifeguard makes a 7 gallon built in filter tank for a extremely good price. Pic related was my old one before I shut it down
>>
>>3583149
read the rest of the conversation reeee >>3583074
>>
>>3583151
Thanks I will look into that one. Size is a big deal though, I need something that can fit on my desk. I appreciate the help!
>>
File: dwdwdw.png (501 KB, 655x506)
501 KB
501 KB PNG
>>3583155
Lifeguard do make smaller ones, just note they a little more pricey because they tend to use low iron or rimless builds. Great build quality though and value though. Pic related is a 5 gallon, on average I think is around $70 at the moment. Good luck anon
>>
>>3583169
Thanks I will check them all out.
>>
>>3583200
Marineland also has a nice 5g portrait aio
>>
>>3582159
do those bottles of quick start living bacteria actually work?
>>
File: 1605306147731.png (390 KB, 1000x1082)
390 KB
390 KB PNG
>>3583259
Starter bacteria is hit or miss. Check the expiration date on your bottle and also consider how its been handled in transit/store. Also know different brands can produce extremely different formulas that will work worse or better than others. Tetra is the most prevalent one you'll see but Tetra is a pretty fucking shit brand. Don't discount starter bacteria if the tetra starter bacteria doesn't work. Pic related is a really good one, it's one of two we ended up stocking at the LFS I used to work at cause everything else was getting terrible feedback from customers.
>>
>>3583186
Thanks

>>3583188
>whats in there?
Two Amano shrimp and a tiger nerite.
>>
>>3582860
Never kept rainbow fish, but personally I really like the idea of an African blackwater tank. Butterfly fish for the top, leaf fish for the middle, and Senegal bichir for the bottom. Tons of personality all around and all pretty easy to care for.

Lake Tanganyika biotopes are also rad, but a proper one would have few or no plants.
>>
>>3583274
Fuuuuck I really like bichirs. Totally forgot they existed. I'll do some more research on the African leaf fish. I only know about the south american ones. Great suggestion!
>>
>>3583112
Are you in the US? Petsmart has 5 gallon kits on sale for under $25 right now. You'd just need a prefilter sponge for the intake to make it shrimp ready

https://www.petsmart.com/40713.html
>>
>>3583276
>African leaf fish
I knew someone who had one and it would watch Top Gear with her. No other shows, just Top Gear. She named it Stig.
>>
>>3583291
dangerously based
>>
Was about to start my first no filter, no co2, planted tank. What's going to be the best way to start the plants? Emersed or submerged? Do I let the tank cycle for a bit first or just put the plants in day 1?
>>
>>3583303
Foo the Flowerhorn on YouTube does them all the time and he always floods the tanks on day 1 fully planted.
>>
>>3583303
submerged, the transition period is brutal for plants and you want to get that done as soon as possible
>>
File: 20201122_174056.jpg (3.62 MB, 4032x3024)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB JPG
I bought a 5.5g tank for my desk at work. Inspecting it before purchase, I noticed there were a few "frays" or whatever in the silicone (which was black for some reason). Pic is of the worst of it - should I be concerned? Return the tank, add my own silicone on top, or just leave it as is? Sry the pic isn't great.

Brand is "Marineland" if that means anything
>>
>>3583329
no worry at all lol, its nothing
>>
>>3583288
Thanks man, I went to 2 local petsmarts that said they had them in stock and neither did. It was worth a try though and I appreciate the advice.
>>
File: Iratherina-werneri.jpg (110 KB, 800x600)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>3582860
just know most rainbow fish take 1+ years to get any decent color. These are fish you will be keeping long term, not something to swap out after a few months. The easiest and cheapest are praecox rainbows, they also develop color rapidly and stay small compared to the other types. You can have quite a decent sized school in a 75. Melanotaenia fluviatilis is also very cheap and easy, but not very pretty compared to other rainbows. There are nano species like celebs and threadfins, but these are a little bit more fragile and need quite delicate flow. It will be a challenge to provide delectate flow in such a large tank as you have to balance enough flow and dead spots. Also note the pictures you see online are usually gen one bred or caught, the ones you will buy will pale in comparison to the pic you posted.

Stock bottom dwellers with caution, rainbows are quite avid eaters and you will have to dump mountains of food so the bottom dwellers can eat without competition. Other than that complication you can really put whatever since they are not aggressive or nippy.
>>
>>3583345
Perfect, thanks for this writeup. I'll do more research on the species you mentioned. And yeah, I'm not the type to get bored and restock a tank on a whim. I've already been through that phase when I was a wee young lad.
>>
File: Praecox.jpg (56 KB, 651x502)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>3583346
no problem, if you do end up getting rainbows use this for more info on your species
rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Also heads up because the long time to color up, most LFS will not stock them extensively. The store has to decide whether to stock colorless juveniles or stock colored adult specimens. Both do not sell well, as adults drastically increases the price since a farm would have had to hold onto them for a 1+ year. Adults will often be 2x-4x the price as a result. Over all most LFS will simply decide its not worth the investment to stock rainbows. This is also the reason why praecox rainbows are the most common rainbows you see. They grow color rapidly, which makes them easy to sell and reduces the farm time. This is why rainbows are more expensive in general, only hobbyists who know about rainbows are gonna buy rainbows. I hope you have a good LFS anon, good luck.
>>
File: 20201122_172148.jpg (3.01 MB, 4032x3024)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
It appears the silicone in my tank is receding. There are also quite a few bubbly-looking holes, though the seams along the corners seem fine. What do (plus why is this even happening, silicone doesn't dissolve in water).
>>
>>3582855
based
>>
>>3582850
>Otherwise you can complete the cycle on an empty tank and put the plants in afterward
Yeah I'm going to do this instead. I'm in no hurry and I haven't decided on the plants yet though I am thinking of anubias, java fern and cryptocoryne petchii for now. I think the neat aquascaped look is out of the reach for me and I need to learn how to grow plants first so I will go for the jungle look where at least I have an excuse if things look a bit unsightly.
>>
>>3583363
how old is the tank? silicone recedes from mainly from moisture, UV light, temp, and just the natural hardening process that happens with age. BUT this is absolutely minor effects, whoever built your tank simply used subpar silicone which is why you see such warping, they also did a incredibly sloppy job. Lucky lifespan of silicone is 10-15 years and luckily the silicone between the glass does the overwhelming majority of bracing. All the extra silicone you see out in the open does practically nothing in terms of support. If the silicone in the corners, and I mean between the two planes of glass, look ok the tank is ok.
>>
What type of substrate should I get for a planted 5 gallon shrimp tank? How many ghost shrimps are appropriate for such a tank? I am trying to figure out how much this will all cost. Thanks.
>>
File: Quasimodo[1].jpg (23 KB, 640x427)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>3582855
>>
>>3583410
I really like Fluval Stratum, but if you aren't going to have root plants you could just use [well-rinsed] pea gravel from a home improvement store.

>How many ghost shrimps are appropriate for such a tank?
Literally however many you want. A dozen and it'll be really easy to watch them.
>>
>>3583416
I would like to do some root plants. Right now I only have experience with some moss and java fern. If I get fluval stratum, what types of root plants are nice looking and easy for beginners?
>>
>>3583424
To add on to this, 8.8 pound bag of fluval stratum should be enough substrate for a 5 gallon right?
>>
>>3583428
That's more than plenty I think, the rule of thumb is 1 inch substrate, 1 inch or so of sand/gravel/rocks.
>>
>>3583428
which tank you end up getting?
>>
>>3583437
Do I have to put sand/gravel on top of the substrate? Sorry I have only done gravel tanks before.
>>
>>3583444
no you dont have to, you can if like the look of whatever substrate though
>>
>>3583440
Still undecided. I am thinking about a marineland 5 gallon. Also thinking I might go with a different kit, or just buy a 5.5 gallon and use that. Really open to what I do. I just want to figure out the total cost and figure out what types of plants I should get.
>>3583448
So I have the option to put sand or gravel on top of the substrate? If that is the case maybe I will do some gravel. I have some extra black gravel laying around.
>>
>>3583456
If you end up getting a kit, you might want to look into the flow of the pump that comes with it. Some of them aren't adjustable.
>>
File: PXL_20201123_043529260.jpg (3.56 MB, 4032x3024)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB JPG
>>3583456
>I have some extra black gravel laying around.
Almost all plant soils are black, no point putting black gravel on top considering it has no nutrient capacity. You can put sand or whatever gravel just know you can't disturb it or it will mix itself. Pic relate is my substrate atm
>>
>>3583466
Do you plant the plants in the substrate, and add the gravel later? What is the best process for doing a planted tank with a legitimate substrate? I suppose I will probably just use the fluval stratum and not put another substrate on top.
>>3583464
Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to look into that.
>>
File: PXL_20201123_045527837.jpg (884 KB, 2137x1475)
884 KB
884 KB JPG
>>3583479
>best process
that's highly dependent on what you are doing, your goals, etc. Doing just one type of substrate is the simplest and easiest, which seems like what you are going for? If you were doing a cap you would lay all substrate, both soil and gravel, down first and then put plants in. Plants will always be put in top most layer, not bottom layer. You can see in the pic plants are planted in the top most layer which happens to be the gravel.
>>
>>3583410
fuck ghost shrimp bro
>>
>>3583495
Thanks for the help, friend. I just want to learn what I can. Seems like one substrate is the best option for me at the moment.
>>3583498
What do you recommend instead of ghost shrimp? Cherry shrimp? I need something for a 5 gallon.
>>
File: amano_poster.png (637 KB, 576x576)
637 KB
637 KB PNG
>>3583498
>t. amano shrimp

>>3583499
I would stay away from cherry shrimp for now, they are simultaneously easy and fragile for a beginner. Ghost shrimp and amano shrimp are hardy as fuck.
>>
File: amano.png (12 KB, 550x70)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>3583505
You think 6 amanos would be a good amount? I don't know how accurate this website really is.
>>
>>3583509
yah six is a great number, gives each one space from each other when they feed, they do get pretty aggressive with food and will try to steal from each other. That website is very reliable, its why I put the link in the OP ;)
>>
>>3583515
Thank you for all the help. I will keep looking for a nice tank, get some fluval stratum and some plants. The store I like to get fish from is pretty far away but they have high quality fish so I would like to get my shrimp from there. Probably will pick up a 5 gal next weekend. If you have any good plant recommendations I would like that.
>>
I want to set up a 55gal aquarium, what are the coolest freshwater fish to put in
>>
How much space does a hob filter need at the back of the aquarium? My lid has a gap of 1.5cm at the back. Can I fit a nano hob filter in there? I don't want to remove the lid, and I feel that my internal nano filter can be upgraded a little.
>>
File: i0qsvvi7e13z.jpg (1.65 MB, 4032x3024)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
>>3583527
check out the very first plant link in the OP, its a very good resource and the difficulty ratings are pretty spot on for almost all of them. Most people here will recommend you java fern or anubias because they are extremely hardy, however they are the slowest growing plants which makes them very prone to algae if you aren't familiar with growing plants. Stem plants are super easy and grow quick enough to outcompete algae in most cases. Ideally you get some stem plants and slow growing plants, the stem plants will stave off algae off the slower growing plants.

When you go to the LFS just know plants in a physical store typically have a 20-30% markup on top of the wholesaler's markup. If money is a concern, online shopping is great for prices, but of course this is offset by shipping costs. If you buy a lot its cheaper online, buy a few its cheaper in store. A great way to lower shipping costs is to check ebay, if you live in a relatively high density population area you most likely will be able to find ebay aquatic plant store that is within 100 miles from you. You can use the cheapest shipping option which is USPS and because they are close to you it will come within a week. I have a few great ebay sellers 30-50 miles from me so I can get any plant in two days for the flat rate USPS shipping, it's by far the cheapest way to get aquatic plants.

But yah check that link out
>>
>>3583560
Not that anon, but I was previously thinking of only growing slow plants for my first planted tank, but now that you mentioned the algae issue I think I am going to mix in a fast grower as well. Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>3583560
Thanks I live near Seattle, lots of options for plants around here probably.
>>
File: 675.jpg (301 KB, 1000x800)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>3583564
>>3583565
>>
>>3583552
Completely dependent on which filter you get, they are all different. But I can tell you right now like 99% will not fit in such a tiny space. You ok with a sponge filter? Plenty of room for an airline
>>
>>3583580
I figured that would be the case. I'd just stick with my internal filter then. It's good size for the nano cube with a spray bar attached and I don't mind it, but I was just thinking of a hob as an alternative for ease of maintenance.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 168x300)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Whats the minimum tank size you should keep a betta in?
>>
File: 1591647187384.jpg (244 KB, 1600x899)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>3583605
This one looks about just right
>>
>>3583605
I think 10 gallons personally.
>>
File: NBuRt5N.jpg (1.01 MB, 3264x2448)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
I thought the minimum was 5?
>>
>>3583618
he said personally, anon
>>
>>3583549
I always put like or 2 big things in a tank like that and then feel limited. You should do a big community tank with a lot of different small fish you like with maybe a couple medium :D
>>
Im the anon who is preparing his aquarium for amano shrimp >>3583097

So i bought the used canister - eheim experience 350
It looks ok, even the papers are included, i have checked the rotor, and everything inside
Intake and the “flute” looks almost new
Now my question is for those who had bought a used cansiter/filter before - how do i make sure its safe? Its a little wet inside - so im thinking about throwing the sponges out and filling it with floss all the way, or should I maybe put some new/fresh sponge in as well?
Any thoughts?
>>
My fish developed a sudden case of fungus. Unfortunately im broke until Thursday and dont have any usable salt in the house. Is there any other household item that might keep my fish alive a few more days?

I have a himalayan pink salt rock meant to be used as a foot exfoliating stone but Dr. Google says no pink salt in aquariums. Options? Am I just fucked?
>>
>>3583424
Depends a bit on what kinds of lights you get, but spiral vals, dwarf sag, ludwigia repens, rosette sword, and Cryptocoryne (any type) are all pretty easy.

>>3583428
I typically use about 10 lbs per square foot, so 8.8lbs would be plenty for almost any 5 gallon tank.

>>3583456
Just my opinion, but gravel caps are such a pain in the ass. The only thing they're really good at is cutting costs.
>>
Is a 7W cheap light enough for pearlweed to grow? It looks pretty bright, I have the light on a 12 hour cycle
>>
File: 20201123_022104.jpg (2.17 MB, 3680x2590)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
>>3583499
Ghost shrimp are...fine, but they're all wild caught and shipped in crap conditions, so they're always sickly and frequently die shortly after you buy them. If they do survive the first couple weeks they'll probably be fine for a long time, and they're stupid cheap so that's nice.

Amano shrimp, however, are kings. They are damn near bulletproof, they live forever, and they're fearless bros that will happily perch on your hand/arm while you're doing tank work.

>>3583549
>what are the coolest freshwater fish to put in
Multies. set up two empires at opposite ends of the tank and watch them ivade enemy territory.

>>3583564
Slow plants in the tank plus floating plants above is a good compromise. Floating plants get atmospheric CO2 so they always have an advantage. Salvinia is a really good one.
>>
>>3583605
I agree that I wouldn't personally keep one in less than ten gallons, but I wouldn't look down on anyone keeping a betta in a properly set up 5 gallon tank. Anything smaller than that is kind of ehhh, though.

>>3583664
If you do nothing but floss you're going to have to clean it a lot. Coarse sponge > floss > bio media. Might want to get an intake sponge, too, especially if the shrimp are small.
>>
>>3583704
Depends how far the light is from the plant.
>>
>>3583707
>intake sponge

Yes, thats what i was thinking too
Its not going to be the “main filter”, just something instead of a circulation pump
I guess i will go with a sponge sandwich, and put as much catappa bark in between as i can fit
>>
what is the next step up from having a 5 gallon betta tank? Community Aquarium?
>>
File: 1585195529100.png (433 KB, 443x404)
433 KB
433 KB PNG
>>3583842
saltwater tank with hard coral
>>
File: 14994_packaging.jpg (611 KB, 1000x1000)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
>>3583845
unironically how difficult is a 120 liter nano reef, with a closed lid, with soft coral, some crabs and a goby?
>>
>>3583842
>Community Aquarium

Sounds reasonable
Personally I always loved a good livebearer community aquariums - lots of colors, activity and no drama
The only downside is having to deal with lots of baby-fish
But yeah, something like a 94 liter aquarium kit wouldn’t be too expensive, and opens up for a number of stocking options
>>
Is it safe to pour liquid fertz into another bottle for ease of usage? The pump that comes with my fertz bottle only pumps 1.5ml. Which is useless for my nano tank. I want to pour it into a closed bottle so that I can measure out exact values with my syringe. It shouldn't be a problem, right?
>>
>>3582961
yee-claw
>>
Would it be bad for the fishes if I use my fish tank to take gravity bong hits?
>>
>>3583874
Kys
>>
>>3583855
>unironically how difficult is a 120 liter nano reef, with a closed lid, with soft coral, some crabs and a goby?

Depends on the quality of the live rock and sand you put in there.
>>
>>3583855
Not hard at all. If using tap water, perhaps less certain. Like freshwater, the biggest key is patience.

Just be aware that there's a lot of potentially ugly time while the tank is maturing, well beyond the cycling time. For instance, diatom blooms will keep happening with new sand/rock until a great deal of silicates are consumed, of which new sand especially has a lot.

It is more expensive than freshwater though.
>>
>>3583855
hardest part is the goby, they need a small grain sand which is incompatible with a few genre of softies. They also often need to be target fed. It is not a fish you can just add without any thought, you have to plan the tank and your daily feeding routine. If you are adding corals you need to maintain proper levels of ph, calcium, aklinity, magnesium, etc. Its not necessarily hard, it just needs a lot more dedication than freshwater
>>
File: 20200707_063721.jpg (3.62 MB, 4128x3096)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB JPG
Guys hear me out,
ICH is not really a disease but a parasite that latches to the scales/fins of the fish right?
okay so
would it be possible to just grab a soft toothbrush, and just brush the ich away?
as the ICH parasite tends to wall itself in those small walls that give them away, aka the 'white spots' and they're tiny micro creatures, why cant we just brush them off during their solid state?
>>
>>3583842
For me it was an axolotl. Then a community tank.
>>
>>3584050
you would have to scrape the entire surface of the fish and remove all of the slime coat, not very helpful. You then have to deal with the ich cysts and free floaters invisible to the the naked eye.
>>
>>3584060
true, but it will minimize the flesh eating effect it has on the fish will it not?
>>
>>3583842
200g biotopes
>>
>>3584069
no, the slime coat is the fishes first layer of defence against disease. Not only are you exterting a massive amount of stress by removing the slime coat, further compromisng it, the fish now has to spend energy regrowing everything you rubbed off. This is on top of the fact it already has ich. All you are doing is further compromisng the fishes immune system. You are leaving them wide open to secondary infections and ich free floaters to latch onto them. And this is all on the basis the ich hasnt latched to scale, which some will be holding onto. You'll be doing ich a favor not the fish
>>
>>3584054
is there a logical stopping point for this hobby? because everyone i know who sticks the tip of their dick in saying they just want one tank ends up with a tank room.
>>
>>3584088
yah you stop when you finally set up the dream tank, its when I finally let go of MTS
>>
>>3584088
You stop when you no longer enjoy it
>>
>>3584088
you stop when you realize you are the best food for your fish, and they're able to consume you in a minute.
>>
>>3582860
rainbows are awesome, and boesmani's are king. i used to hold flake in my lips and have them jump up and take it from me like a kiss
>>
>>3584140
...kys...??

anyone????
>>
>>3584088
Financial bankruptcy. Fishkeeping can get expensive as fuck.
>>
I wrote in the last thread, had to move my aquarium and the new one started to reek.
I cleaned the filter carefully. Most of the smell was gone within 3 hours, the rest went away during the day.
All the feesh are fine and the water clear as vodka. Thanks everyone for the tips.
>>
It's water change day, and you know what that means!
>>
>>3584239
...no?
>>
>>3584098
>you stop when you finally set up the dream tank
Naw, you just get a bigger dream after that.
>>
>>3584239
AAAHH I'M GONNA VACOOM THE GRAVEL
>>
>>3584239
Water drops all over the floor?
>>
>>3584239
Sorry, my water change day is Wednesday
>>
>>3584239
Smelling awful water conditioner?
>>
File: 20201124_061103.jpg (1.58 MB, 4025x1637)
1.58 MB
1.58 MB JPG
What's the best setup for a top filter?
my current one is spheres > 3xfiltersponges with ceramic rocks > ceramic tubes
and how should i go on cleaning it, replace one sponge on a monthly basis to not ruin the cycle?
Also should i add an extra air pump just incase? fish seems to be doing fine with a plant and the top filter's waterfall.
>>
>>3583859
no its not a problem just make sure you dont use a clear bottle, you dont want to expose it to light
>>
>>3584685
you dont have to replace the sponge until it's falling apart. All you do is wash it out with old water or tap. Doesn't matter if you use tap cause the bio rings and substrate are during the bulk of the bio filtration. Also plastic bio balls are absolutely usually unless they are in a trickle filter, you can replace them with other ceramic medias.

How big is this tank? The water trickle from that filter looks like fuck all. Adding a air pump will be more so for water movement if you notice dead spots in the tank.
>>
>>3584693
Thank you, i will replace the spheres with ceramic tubes, and the tank is barely 5G.
>>
File: I dont get it.jpg (6 KB, 200x200)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
I'm having trouble deciding on an led light for a 5.5g. Do I just go for broke and get a 16" one with a PAR of 95 and LUX of 6300 @ 12", that goes across the whole tank (which is 10" tall), OR is a smaller 10.5in with a PAR of 57 and LUX of 3500 good enough?
I know that plants need more than just light to grow, but - and I'm starting to think this is a really stupid question - does stronger light equal more growth/healthier plants? I'm otherwise mildly concerned it will be too bright for comfort, but I'm already not thinking clearly so whatever. Thanks for the help.
Link btw:
https://www.amazon.com/NICREW-Freshwater-Brightness-Adjustable-Controller/dp/B083ZDMMYH/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium%2Blight&qid=1606186732&sr=8-13&th=1
>>
>>3584724
>does stronger light equal more growth/healthier plants?
only if the CO2 and fert regiment are match with it. Less is more if you are not using co2, get the smaller one.
>>
>>3584724
More light without enough CO2 and ferts in the water equals algae. Most commonly available plants will do fine at low to medium light levels though grow a bit slower, depending on the species. Best thing you can do is buy a light with a built in dimmer so you can dial down the output if it's too bright.
>>
>>3584726
Any particular reason why "less is more"? Just so I understand this a little better - the tank also may end up inadvertently being a blackwater tank of sorts due to a large piece of mopani and some other kind of wood (wasn't labeled at the lfs), in case a brighter light may be warranted there.
>>
File: unspecified-1.jpg (296 KB, 1920x1080)
296 KB
296 KB JPG
>>3584742
less is more because without CO2 light is completely useless to the plant. While it physically can not use the light, it is still affected by it. This is where you run into plant bleaching and because the plant is not photosynthesising the leaves essiantly turn into surface area for algae. The margin of error is considerably more forgiving in low-mid light, which is why I say less is more (if no CO2).
>>
>>3584693
>Doesn't matter if you use tap
Just like to say I agree. People are way too paranoid about using tap water to rinse out a simple sponge. Unless you live in Flint Michigan, it's fine.

If the tank crashes from a tiny rinse of a single sponge in tap water, the tank was shit.
>>
Can I do a fish in cycle if I change the water every day? If so is it ethical?
>>
>>3584828
bro I knowwww, the chlorine content in tap isn't even anywhere near high enough to act as a disinfectant of that nature. People act like its isopropyl alcohol yet never stop to think if tap water really does nuke bacteria to such effect why isnt is used a disinfectant. At most its damaging the older and weaker bacteria and leaving room for new ones like in a moving bed filter.

>If the tank crashes from a tiny rinse of a single sponge in tap water, the tank was shit.
kiss me
>>
>>3584854
Fish cycling concerns are likely overblown, especially with frequent water changes. There are also ways to speed up a new cycle REALLY fast that will surprise you:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/2-aquarium-cycling-index/
>>
>>3584889
damn I thought this would be a really fucking good link for the OP till the end of it. Why do people continuously assert their opinions about highly debatable/flexible ideas as definite truths instead of just agreeing they are highly debatable and there is no clear definitive answer? kms.
>>
>>3584903
Which part?

But yeah, there's a LOT of good shit on this website but also the guy goes off the deep end occasionally and someone new to the hobby would not be able to discern the difference.
>>
>>3582860
Based bosemani bro
>>
>>3584889
That link is filled with absolute dog shit
don't ever post it again
>>
>>3584939
>this doesn't conform to my beliefs based on my MONTHS of anecdotal evidence and is therefore trash
Very few things are 100% great or 100% trash. Even Diana Walstad's book is not entirely great, by Diana Walstad's own admission. One of the few exceptions would be your opinion.
>>
>>3584919
>Which part?
gonna be dead honest a lot of it. Dont think its complete dog shit like the other anon said, the first half was great. But he has some serious core misunderstandings the other half of the page.
>>
>>3584954
I agree, the first half is the better half of the site in general. It's obvious that his hobby for the past few decades has revolved around large cichlid tanks for the vast majority of it, and the further he strays from that topic, the murkier the site gets.
>>
>>3584952
no it's trash because there's no data or proofs to back most of that up.
maybe I should make a page where I just claim a bunch of shit and people will think I'm smart too.
>>
>>3584956
>It's obvious that his hobby for the past few decades has revolved around large cichlid tanks for the vast majority of it
mmm well said. To me the murky parts reads of someone who got a slight interest into science because of the aquarium hobby. Then with his own version of science he used it to selectively prove his anecdotal experiences and beliefs he first formed without any science to begin with.

Basically the kind of people who read "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" and think they are 2000 iq genius afterwards.
>>
>>3584690
thanks
>>
>>3584854
>>3584889
Ehhh. Low to medium levels of ammonia and nitrite aren't going to kill the fish, but they might result in minor/moderate internal injuries that could affect quality of life and reduce life expectancy. There isn't really a way of knowing that for sure, but seeing as there's no real benefit to fish-in cycling (besides appealing to a toddler-esque compulsion for instant gratification), it's better to just... not.

>Plants remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from the water. Since ammonia and nitrite are required during cycling to feed the beneficial bacterial growth, adding plants to the aquarium during cycling will prevent the tank from cycling.
Lol. What a dolt.
>>
>>3584889
Just a small part of that article:
“ Feed the tank and the filter just as though you had fish in the tank.”

Did it for 25 years - yet there were still some anons here who ridiculed me for it. If it works - why try and invent unnecessary shit?
If you are in a hurry, aquariums are not for you. Let it cycle for 6-7 weeks, and use that time to actually research all you can about fish, plants, food etc
>>
>>3585071
>lol what a dolt
Yep that was the moment when I immediately disregarded anything he had to say and washed my brain of anything I had just read.
>>
>>3585081
>what I currently do happens to have a result therefore any exploration into other methods is a waste of time and my method is superior
why do people still have this mentality lmao
>>
File: 20181108_090215.jpg (709 KB, 3096x4128)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
Hello gentlepeeps, would keeping sea fish that i catch myself be easy? i have basic fresh water xp.
And what's the best eidble and heavy breeder in the sea kingdom? crabs or shrimpos?
>>
>>3585081
If there's a method which results in a faster cycle that's just as effective, why not use it?
And if they're the pedantic type, someone might work about the various phosphate levels and whatnot of different fish food as an uncontrolled variable.
>>
>>3585110
no, most do not survive the transition to captivity. More so if you have no experience in saltwater. You are taking an animal that has only ever lived in the most stable environment on the world into an incredibly shifting environment of your tank. I don't think you realize know insanely high the die off rate is for wild caught to captivity. Some 15 dollar farm raised clownfish are easy and hardy as fuck and a whole slew of other farm raised fish are the same. Although some of the hardier stuff like snails, hermits, crabs, etc are pretty easy to just take home and keep. They even live past the one year mark easily. Also stop fishing near reef/coastal habitats you absolute mongrel they are already fucked beyond belief.

best edible is the shrimp since it doesn't have the hard shell of the crab. In an enclosed space the best breeder is also the shrimp, they don't cannibalize each other like crabs
>>
Does anyone here grow their own shrimp and eat them?
>>
File: 1524180862_1.jpg (1.4 MB, 2048x1360)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>3585144
>best edible is the shrimp
Don't most saltwater shrimp have a larval stage that makes them impossible to breed in captivity? And the kinds of freshwater shrimp that are used in aquaculture are territorial and will cannibalize.
>>
>>3585154
>freshwater shrimp that are used in aquaculture
Turns out they also have a brackish larval stage, so that's another stroke against it.
>>
Do pea puffer bites hurt?
Also tell me about your tanks bros I’m tired of looking at snails waiting on my cycle
>>
File: zero.jpg (1.4 MB, 4032x3024)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>3585160
I have a betta and his name is Zero. I think he is pretty cute and I just got him.
>>
File: 20201123_225810.jpg (1.74 MB, 4032x2268)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
>>3585160
Enjoy a cameo from Twiggly Azalea
>>
>>3585172
I saw this one earlier and it had me thinking how black and white are awesome colors for a betta.
>>3585173
This guy looks fucking awesome.
>>
>>3585180
>used awesome twice
Its been a long day
>>
>>3585180
Thank you, I really like his colors too. He makes me very happy.
>>
>>3584690
>you dont want to expose it to light
Then how do the tropica fertilizers work? Those bottles are clear.
>>
File: 20201122_185608.jpg (155 KB, 1184x624)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
What is this baby snail in my tank?
came with a new patch of plants.
i never had snails before, should i keep it or flick it out?
>>
>>3585195
Bladder snail. That life in jars guy on youtube has them living in a closed ecosystem for years.
They’ll help clean your tank of leftover food and algae.
They lay eggs pretty readily if there is an abundance of food.
Basically if there becomes a bunch and you don’t want them anymore you can just put some cucumber in as bait then chuck it to thin their numbers, or get assassin snails
>>
>>3585204
sounds awesome thank you, i guess i'll keep it.
do they take a long time to mature?
>>
>>3585206
I’ll tell ya in a few weeks
>>
>>3585195

Looks like a classic bladder snail
Most probably it’s already too late to get rid of them - there are eggs all over your aquarium by now
They are generally speaking beneficial for aquariums ecosystem
Some dont like having 100 snails crawling around, but they are definitely harmless
You can get an assassin snail - helena snail to hunt bladder snails down. Haven’t done it myself, but it should be an easy and safe method
Personally, i would let them be
>>
File: sna.webm (2.99 MB, 1024x576)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
my japanese trapdoor snail doing its thing
>>
>>3585413
Sugoi!
>>
>>3585413
what kind of camera are you using for this?
really impressive.
>>
>>3584146
no thats based
>>
This java moss I ordered is all brown and shitty.
>>
is there a fishcord out there?
>>
>>3585594
There's a few that are pretty good. I actually quite enjoy using discord, but discord is /aq/'s duckweed and out of principle I must say kys.
>>
File: sna2.webm (2.8 MB, 1024x576)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB WEBM
>>3585536
Olympus TG-6
>>
>>3585605
Not him, but this convinced me to get that camera
>>
>>3585160
I was in your situation until my blue velvet shrimp came in today. My snail has been cool to watch though. It’ll be worth it. Hoping to get a fish soon. I’ll let my shrimp friends get cozy first.
>>
>>3585651
Those are gorgeous I'm excited to see some pictures later
>>3585160
Also I've got a hang on the back filter with two sponges jammed into the outflow. When a piece of debris flows in front it shoots down, but when I hold a string in front it the flow doesn't push it at all. Will it still be too much flow for a dwarf puffer? I'd hate for a section of my tank to be uninhabitable
>>
>>3585664
just wait until you actually get the puffer. If you notice they aren't ever swimming in that area then adjust accordingly
>>
Can aquarium plants transfer diseases? I bought some floaters (duckweed) from online and 4 Corys have died. No changes in parameters or anything, 20% water changes every week, and the tanks been running steady for years. I haven’t lost a fish in 6 months until this week. Feels fucking awful.
>>
>>3585693
any surface area can transfer disease. Don't be so quick to blame the duck weed though, they might have had internal parasites this whole time and been slowly wasting or something of that nature. Did any fish have concave bellies or other ailments? It might not have been glaring obvious like most illness, it's the kinda thing you only notice by really really looking at them.

Doing 20% just dilutes the water, check the OP and use the calculator to see what I mean.
>>
>>3585693
>>3585729
oh forgot to mention if you put the water in from the duckweed bag if possibly could have had copper. A few people purposely use copper pipes in their plumbing so they can sell snail free plants. Any inverts or "scaleless" fish showing stress?
>>
>>3585605
Incredible, I always wanted a TG-6 for diving/snorkeling
>>
>>3585732
No, I didn’t add the water from the bag, though a little bit might have gotten in the tank on the plants themselves. There’s 3 Kuhli loaches and a pair of snails in there too(they’re usually the first to complain about water quality too, so this came totally out of the blue) and they seem fine as well.
>>
>>3585664
Hopefully I’ll be able to snap good ones. I managed to get a clip of the last guy jumping out. Sorry for the quality - it got worse as I saved it as a gif. I’ll turn the lights back on tomorrow just to ease the stress of the shipping and move.
>>
>>3585729
The sign the something was wrong was that one of the fish was flipped onto its back and breathing heavy. I was kinda confused but the other looked pretty healthy and googling it didn’t turn up anything particularly concerning so I just decided to wait. The next day it was dead.
>>
File: IMG_3090.jpg (760 KB, 3024x4032)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
Zero likes sleeping in his floating log.
>>
File: me_and_my_son.jpg (103 KB, 960x716)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>3585110
Yes, I have kept many that I catch via net.

Most ocean fish (that you can catch) are juvenile and get big fast. Pic related were the last two I had in my 75 gallon cold water. They went from about gourami size to oscar size in 6 months, so had to let them go.

Also most ocean fish (that you can catch) are pelagic, so want to SWIM, so really aren't suited for aquariums.
>>
File: image0.jpg (877 KB, 3024x4032)
877 KB
877 KB JPG
Bought a bag of mixed shells from hobby lobby
Washed em off over a few days and tossed in some that looked like might fit my little hermit.
It looks like he took a liking to one
>>
Neon Tetras been giving me lip. WTF is going on?
>>
>>3585974
Saltwater hermits are dope
>>
File: touch.webm (1.89 MB, 540x960)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB WEBM
>>3585974
I also love to touch da shrimp
>>
>>3585757
So take it as you will, but i nuked 4 cories earlier this year by doing a normal water change and went and grabbed the pre sponge over my hob filter, bobbing cories in seconds, ive had them through thick and thin and moved them from NY to Florida and even was on gen2 of them. Forgot to wash my hands, ring or wrists after using hand sanitizer. I had just got back from work and well, i fucked up. Rip chunks and jr chunks.
>>
>>3585996
He's just being a teenager, let him be you boomer.

Also this is common with neons, no one really knows for sure what it is. We don't even know if its fungal or bacterial still, we'll never know till an actual ichthyologist looks at it. It's generally accepted however, that it's most likely a symptom of early neon tetra disease. I always used to try a broadband med like seachem paraguard or a med cocktail but it never worked on the fish we tried it on, which also causes me to suspect it is in fact neon tetra disease or a similar illness.
>>
File: Little Dude.webm (1.52 MB, 1280x720)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB WEBM
Started my first planted aquarium yesterday. Already got a hitchhiker. Seems like some kind of bug larva.

Anyone know what it is?
>>
>>3586110
Looks like a very young caddisfly larva.
>>
File: Sweat3.jpg (24 KB, 266x337)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>3586128

Jesus those things are creepy when they get bigger.
>>
>>3586067
Very interesting.

Unrelated here is a Pearl Guorami Male anxious to breed. Good color right now. I just turned the tank temperature up to 80*F. We’ll see what happens.
>>
>>3586067
>when the disease is named after you
>am i gonna die, pa?
>>
>>3586022
I've heard quite a few of these stories and I wonder why people just don't invest $2.99 for those elbow length dishwashing gloves, seems like the obvious move to avoid any possible contaminants when sticking your dirty ass hands and forearms inside the water.
>>
What's the best fish to get if you want to fill your aquarium to the brim?
i would love to have a huuuge aquarium filled to the brim with fishes while they're still happy.
>>
>>3586195
Do you mean an open top tank? Or just filling it up past the top brace?
>>
>>3586201
He means packing the hoe with fish
>>
>>3586201
no i meant what fish tolerates having multiple other fishies per gallon
like for goldfish you need 10g for one so you end up with one fish in a 10g tank, while if a fish needed only 1g you would have 10 fishies in the same tank with no problems.
hope i made it clearer
>>
are there any non submersible aquarium heaters? Every submersible heater seems like a huge piece of crap that only lasts a few months before it eventually craps out. Not a big fan of having to replace something to vital that often.
>>
>>3586207
dont take my word for i am by no means an expert or even an intermediate,
but would a heating mat under the aquarium work?
>>
>>3586207
have you tried the cobalt aquatics neo therm out yet? they're really good, far above the rest.
>>
>>3586207
I live in a hotbox of a house because I hate heaters that much.
>>
File: PXL_20201125_041521452.jpg (3.73 MB, 4032x3024)
3.73 MB
3.73 MB JPG
>>3586207
>are there any non submersible aquarium heaters
yes its called your room temperature

Hydor does make inline heaters but why do you think its not going to be crap like submersible ones? Its not the fact that its in water that makes its crappy its crappy because all aquarium heaters are crap.

Heating mat wont work very well, you'd have to get more of a hot plate to have enough energy to heat water. You also have to adhere the heating surface directly to the glass. Go and wrap your hand around your heater right now and ask if you are comfortable having that level of heat under your tank and on your stand. Also the heating controller is gonna be the exact same thing as aquarium heater controllers, doesn't matter if a mat or heater they are all shit because the cost to make an actual decent controller just isn't markable to majority hobbyists.

Only thing you can do is buy the best heater attached to a secondary monitor as a failsafe.

Agree with this anon, >>3586214
by far the best out there right now. Use in all my tanks now, all plugged into a temp controller in case it gets stuck on.
>>
>>3586210
My heater crapped out so I have a heating pad right on the glass to help mitigate the temp drop, being in the basement during a day it snows doesnt help.
>>3586214
This thing looks solid, ill have to give it a try. And its at a pretty good pricepoint for what it can do.
>>3586221
Lucky, I might try to hotbox the room my aquarium is in.
>>3586222
Good to know, how long has your cobalt heater lasted? They seem way ahead of all the shitty glass tube heaters out there that crap out often.
>>
File: tank.jpg (161 KB, 898x1000)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
hey guys, been lurking lately after deciding i need a shrimp tank in my life. Itll be my first tank. Ive read the convos back and forth between the other shrimpers and was wondering the best tank to do this.
I would like a great planted scape like pictured with shrimp and maybe a small school of community fish just to liven it up a bit.
Im scared of buying a tank too small or too large. I saw a tank at a store today that was 8 gallons split between 3 connected tanks like you see on the petstore shelf which looked ideal for multiple types of neos.
I was also considering starting with a 5 or 10 gallon. I just dont know exactly what to start with.
Money isnt really an issue, though i dont want to drop over $500 before falling in love with the hobby.
I just have a fascination with shrimp and need to know where to start. Ive watched the setup videos, know the parameters and proper cycling. Pulling the trigger on one thing is tough so I need a real shrimper to tell me what to do so i can start buying stuff during black friday.
Tips?
>>
File: jager-heater-1_1024x.png (84 KB, 720x1162)
84 KB
84 KB PNG
>>3586228
>how long has your cobalt heater lasted?
Its being going for two years now, the main big difference is that the neo therm does not use the two contact pins reliant on metal to warp at temp. I've found every single heater that uses this mechanism like pic related to slowly and surely become less and less accurate and every single end life failure is because those contact pins. In fact every eheim heater I've owned becomes so off calibrated it's own mechanism can no longer compensate for its inaccuracy. I really think it's absolutely obsolete technology that has no place in our aquariums anymore. Digital temperature control is the way to go. Mechanical temp control can BTFO

Also you can always have the benefits of digital temp by plugging your mechnial heater into a controller, the market for them has really expanded and you can get good ones at affordable pricing. but I see yours broke. rip
>>
>>3586269
Oh highly recommend you pick up a lab grade thermometer to always know your heater hasn't slowly becoming off. I bought a true mercury thermometer at a lab store, it's how I know the other heaters I've had in the past are complete shit. So far the neo therm is the only one that's maintained the same temp from I first bought it.
>>
>>3586267
also is a tank kit okay to start with as long as i put a sponge over the filter? I know some of the supplied hardware can be crap and die quick but a lot of kits are real cheap during black friday and i can easily replace anything that breaks later on.
Im looking to eventually breed some good freshwater shrimps across small planted tanks after a good cycle.
Also, are bacteria filled substrates a meme? I found a pebble substrate today that claimed to hold great bacteria for cycling.
>>
>>3586267
5 to 10 gals are both good. Just going to be your preference and aquaplaning desires and the population of shrimp you want. Larger tanks require less care as the water is more diluted.

Don't get a multi-tier tank until you've had a normal tank.

>>3586291
You're overthinking it. Any normal tank will do for shrimp, really. If you're not doing plants, substrate doesn't really matter, but the shrimp wont be very happy without them.

If you're doing planted, just use ~1" organic potting soil, and put ~1.5" aquarium gravel on top, and you wont need a filter, just a month or so to let the plants root in.
>>
>>3586338
is the potting soil for the plants or will it help the shrimp? Ive saw pebble gravel today made for plants that also has bacteria for helping with the cycle. Soil sounds like a pain, which is why i ask, not trying to be lazy but are there other non soil substrate layer options?
>>
File: flourite black.jpg (71 KB, 528x879)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>3586345
Noob here I don't know shit about plants, but this stuff is as simple to use as any normal aquarium gravel (just rinse it) and it has nutrients etc
>>
How much do you guys spend on a yearly basis, and how much should i expect to spend if i got a big aquarium (60 gallons)
>>
>>3586267
>Itll be my first tank
Pay attention to plant keeping. It's not as easy as youtube videos make it seem. They don't show you the ugly part. Also, you're probably just going to be over ambitious and buy a bunch of plants like the ones in that pic only to have a shitty scape and half the plants die. Things like that only serve to demotivate you from going further, so take your time and really study aquatic plant keeping and lurk forums to see what problems people had with their planted tanks and how they overcame it. Learn about how a tank becomes balanced, and learn what factors are in your control, eg. brightness of lights, duration of lights, fertz, substrate, plant density, livestock density, water flow, etc. Also, learn what "easy" means. An "easy plant" from the perspective of someone who's kept plants for ages may not be your definition of "easy". Learn what is the bare minimum for plants.

I had a planted tank before and stripped it down and converted it to a fish-only tank because I didn't like the look of it and also because it ended up being more work than what I expected it to be. I'm setting up a new one soon. A lot smaller this time. I know more now than I did before I started up that tank, hopefully I get it right.
>>
>>3586345
>that also has bacteria for helping with the cycle
I'm calling BS. There are lots of products in the aquarium industry that are made to milk your wallet. Also, research on gravel grain size, it matters a bit when it comes to detritus and keeping plants rooted. You need something that is going to be easy on you when you do your maintenance.
>>
>>3586400
i thought u don't need to rinse plant substrates?
>>
>>3586419
>how much does a mid sized car cost per year?
Yeah, going to need more info to make any reasonable estimate.

What's in the tank, lid or no, where you live, temperature in the house year round, lighting setup, etc. So many factors.

For instance in the extreme scenario, I've had a 75G freshwater tank that was cheaper than my 25G nano reef tank in both setup and upkeep.
>>
>>3586464
i'm thinking of shrimps with snails, and i live near egypt where the temp is from 24 to 28 indoors and 30 to 40 outside.
i honestly dont have that much of experience and just testing the waters before committing to the hobby, only experience were with goldfish when they were everywhere years ago.
>>
>>3586400
It doesn't have nutrients, I've learned it the hard way when I set up a tank with that as substrate exclusively. It was only until I restarted it but earthworm castings on the bottom of the flourite I started seeing good growth
>>3586454
The soft soil-base substrates should not be rinsed but solid substrates like flourite absolutely need it
>>
>>3586419

I have a 325 liter now, and the yearly maintenance is really cheap imo.
Its fish food, filter floss, fertilizers, water conditioners and thats probably it
I am fighting algae now, so that costs me a little more, and if something would break down and had to be exchanged - it would not be cheap, but if you invest in good quality “hardware” to begin with, it will server you many years
Bottom line - i spend no more than 20-30 euro a month ( excluding electricity and water )
>>
>>3586195
>>3586205
Guppies.
https://youtu.be/SPOqS_RIzHE
>>
>>3586488

I second this
Although its a little extreme in the video - how do they even find a place to sleep?..
And it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them guppies go hungry if they were not strong/quick enough...
>>
good betta tank?
>>
>>3586476
Gosh I wish I knew it didn’t have nutrients when I got it. I’ve bought like 5 things that were wrong trying to get this tank started.
>>
>>3586570
he might fall out of the water when he tries to sleep on one of the floating plants, also how do you keep the water in?

On a more serious note, bettas love heavily planted tanks. The more the merrier. Looks ok but more won't hurt
>>
>>3586476
>>3586576
Cards on the table, bully as needed.
So I got Java Fern, Java Moss, and Pearlweed. 7 Watt light an inch above the water in a foot tall 10g tank.
That fluval black substrate, seachem excel, and I guess I’ll buy some fertilizer tomorrow.
Think thats enough to get things going?
>>
>>3586580
>Java Fern, Java Moss
dude those two will thrive in literally anything from distilled water to a sewer, you'll be fine
>>
>>3586586
Yeah I’ve had them before in bare bottoms, now its the pearl weed I want to see grow
>>
>buy 5 julies to get a matching pair
>had to leave for a month with them being fed by flatmate
>come back to see a pair with two different sized babies chasing the rest away
>move 3 others to temporary tank literally 4 days ago
>2 days ago one of them goes missing
>doesn't come out to eat for 2 days
>worry that it died, search for it
>lift a root that has a cave below
>male julie already guarding a batch of eggs
I swear to God, I haven't seen such horny bastards before
The main pair in my main tank seems to be guarding another batch of eggs as well, judging from their behavior
>>
>>3586580
>seachem excel
Why excel? It's an algicide, not liquid carbon. Is that what you intend to use it for? Preventing algae is better than trying to get rid of it using chemicals.
>I’ll buy some fertilizer tomorrow.
Get an all in one fertilizer. Make sure it has macros and trace elements in the right amount. The purpose of the fertz is to give them the nutrients they can't get from the soil, livestock waste and your tap water.
>>
File: 1604267131220.gif (8 KB, 220x184)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
i cant seem to find my baby snails anywhere
my poor little bladder snails evaporated
i dont know if the goldfishy ate them
cant even find their shells to put them on my desk for all the good memories i had with them the past two days
i will never forget you luie huie kuie nuie and muie
>>
>>3586602
Sorry fren. Where one life ends, another begins.
>>
>>3586602

Hmm, highly unusual - dont give up just yet
Idk how well established your aquarium is, but if they had enough to eat - they are probably hiding
Goldfish don eat snails as far as i know
And now when you mention it - why/how do you have live plants and goldfish?.. thats odd
>>
>>3586609
i had two plants, one completely devoured and one untouched.
i dont know their names but the one untouched looks like the top pic, only nibble softly on the pointy leaves and eat whatever gets stuck on them, the one that no longer exists is the bottom leafy stuff, didnt stand a chance against the savage attacks.
>>
>>3586646
Top one looks like some sort of hornwort
>>
Anons, my substrate recommends me to wash it before putting it in the aquarium, but I live in an apartment and this will not be easy. Is a bad idea to just put it in the aquarium and do a lot of water changes?
>>
>>3586668
What do you mean it won't be easy, dump that shit in a bucket, fill it with water, rinse around, pour out water, repeat a few times until substrate is sufficiently clean.
>>
>>3586668
take them partially into a bowl and wash them.
or take them one by one and lick them like a lolipop
>>
>>3586668

This —-> >>3586674
>>
>>3582961
Yee-claw!
>>
>>3586646
>one untouched

Hmm, good to know if i’am getting a goldfish myself again one day!
Are they not trying to up-root it?.. thats my number one concern with goldfish and plants
>>
>>3586728
not at all, it's actually serving well as a flakes and food catcher.
they do enjoy going through them sometimes so i assume if it wasn't well-rooted it would come off, but not like they intentionally try to pluck them.
>>
I am GOD
>>
i hope they survive the winter lads
>>
File: concernds.jpg (116 KB, 587x645)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>3586833
What did you do this time, anon?
>>
>>3586833
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8
>>
>>3586833
>walk up to the tank
>stand above it powerfully
>sprinkle food into the tank
>lean down and whisper "I ought to be like god to you"
>>
>>3586834
bring them inside next to the cozy fireplace
>>
File: image0.jpg (85 KB, 481x641)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
new coral time
>>
>>3586668
put in a big bucket, go to bathtub, start running water through it while tipping the bucket a bit so water runs out of it, while not dumping the substrate out. stir the substrate up all the while. when the water runs clear it is washed.
>>
I was wondering if these are ich on him, it been on there for two week and it only on 3 tetra and not other 17 fish I have in the same tank.
>>
Here the front picture, I'm doing trio med from aquarium coop until I noticed those on him, was wondering should I stop that treatment and just focus on using ich x
>>
New thread:

>>3586956
>>3586956
>>3586956
>>
>>3586854
>>
>>3586873
more
>>
>>3586903
>>3586907
Keep going with the other meds, you don't want to stop halfway. But keep doing the ich x after you've stopped the other two
>>
File: dude_trust_me.jpg (59 KB, 1500x615)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>3586207
zero moving parts, will last for decades
>>
>>3586668
Do you have a net? I fill up the net with my gravel and run a tap straight at it in the bathroom and jiggled the net from the bottom with my hands until the small particles and brown water clears. You can put something below to catch it. Then I dump the washed gravel into the tank and grab another netfull of unwashed gravel and repeat.
>>
>>3587430
>25 liters of substrate.
It would take ages.
>>
>>3587506
Oh well. My tank was small so that was how I did it
>>
File: feels.jpg (280 KB, 1000x838)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
Just bought $50 worth of aquarium plants. Can't wait for them all to arrive and die after I put them in my tank
>>
>>3587559
Just don't forget that some plants have a transitioning phase.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.