[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1591212454506.jpg (353 KB, 900x600)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
Is it ethical to buy something made out of leather?
Also if this is more an /fa/ topic then feel free to move me there, mods.
>>
>>3579544
Depends ifyou think killing cows for leather is ethical or not
>>
>>3579554
Are they also being killed for meat or are there "leather only" cows? I'd rather the former because the latter sounds really wasteful.
>>
>>3579556
Of course there aren't "leather only" cows lmao, something like 90% of a cow is used for something after its killed
>>
>>3579557
ty
>>
>>3579557
My heart always skips a beat when I see one of these.
>>
Depends on if you think killing a cow for meat is unethical. If you're fine with meat then you should be fine with leather, since it just means less waste from a killed cow. Which would have been killed even without leather boots existing. If you find ethical issues with eating meat, then the ethical issues of wearing skin are the same.
>>
>>3579544
Nothing wrong with it, they are alive thanks to us
>>
>>3579570
my house is carpeted with these
>>
>>3579570
It would look a lot better in a rustic cabin
>>
it would be unethical not to
>>
>>3579544
No.
Cows are friends.
>>
>>3579642
Cows are boring, I've never seen one that doesn't just ignore you
>>
If you eat meat, you should buy leather. Leather is a really nice material, and as everyone here has said, it usually comes from cattle that are slaughtered for meat already. It's also not made of plastic like pleather or a lot of other materials, so it is less shitty for the environment.
>>
There are no leather only cows, so yes.

But we raise and kill far too many cows so people can maintain unhealthy and pointless dietary habits. It's actually wasteful at this point, as in we could use that land and that feedstock for better things, so what you should do is stop eating their meat so often.

If we allow the cow menace to grow, farmers and ranchers would gladly plow national parks for grazing land and shoot every eagle in the US just in case they kill 1 calf a year. They already did it to wolves over shit like losing 3-4 calves a year in well managed herds.
>>
>>3579607
This.
Even if that cow was only alive for a couple years, that's a couple years of existence it never would have had if there wasn't a market for what it provides.

Vegans are evil because they prevent millions of animals from even existing.
A few of my neighbors have cattle (black Angus are popular here)- they spend their lives frolicking in a field, eating whenever they want, they're vaccinated from disease and never have to worry about predators.
The large scale stockyards in California or mass produced chicken barns are wrong, but there's nothing wrong with consuming products from free range livestock.
>>
>>3579797
Free range livestock requires sterilized environments that are taken from many, many more animals.
>>
>>3579570
I'd place it behind a pavement roller.
>>
>>3579797
Children are only alive because of their parents so would it be morally right for parents to murder their children?
>>
>>3580833
yes, extra-late term abortions should ve legalized
>>
>>3580833
Only if they eat them.
>>
Absolutely, animals aren't people
>>
>>3579797
Have vegans prevented animals from being born? Please explain how
>>
>>3579643
That's because you don't treat them nicely
>>
>>3581103
Never go to meadows never go to meadows never go to meadows... treat cows nicely... *cries nervously*
>>
>>3579570
god I wish that were me
>>
>>3579803
Underrated post.
>>
>>3579544
Yes. Because it's more durable and expensive you are less likely to throw it out. Leather journal cover, leather shoes, belts, car seat, bag, wallet, mouse pad etc. Fuck plastic.

If you want vegan leather, for the goodness to all animal kind please eat your vegan leather to save whales and other creatures from consuming your microplastics. It is the ethical thing to do.
>>
>>3579544
Yeah.
It's also ethical to eat the insides of leather.
>>
>>3579570
i agree. carpets should be made of plant material like linen, cotton, or even non plant fiber like wool. we aren't cavemen anymore, we don't need to use so much damn leather
>>
>>3581621
real talk I'd love to see a decent leather alternative be invented one day. i spent $300 on a "leather alternative jacket" which basically disintegrated after 5 years of wearing it constantly. the durability of real leather is insane
>>
>>3581675
fuck it lol, im returning to monkey
>>
>>3579803
kek
>>
150 million tons of fashion waste a year says that it is. Natural products like wool and leather are more sustainable than synthetic throwaway crap. More durable and ultimately biodegradable. Created by carbon absorbed by plants and eaten by the animal, rather than made from oil
>>
>>3581901
Yeah let's focus on eating less meat to save the climate and not the 150 million tons of fashion waste because I absolutely NEED new clothes every week
>>
>>3579642
Friends made out of delicious meat and coated in useful leather.
>>
>>3580833
If children were useful, yes.
>>
>>3581976
there are lotsa moar uses
>>
>>3581700
what does this mean? can i really buy a monkey leather jacket
>>
>>3581901
>Natural products like wool and leather are more sustainable than synthetic throwaway crap.
probably true but because in general synthetics are used as a cheaper alternative by shit brands, where better brands use synthetics for technical reasons (nylon jackets, technical pants, etc.). obviously plant based clothes like cotton and linen exists and can be recycled.
also i'm pretty sure synthetics can be recycled.

that being said, wool is still one of the best material out there. i don't really see the point of leather however (except for shoes).
>>
>>3582263
Leather has fantastic wear-resistant properties.
And the rest of the animal is basically being used so leather isn't 'murder' or whatever vegans claim.
>>
>>3582271
So it's okay to kill something if you use all the body parts even if you could have used products that don't contain those body parts?
>>
>>3582302
Yes. If it is not a human and has no value to a human except as a corpse, let it be a corpse. There is no value in something that has not been given it and has not made any for itself.

Even some humans would be better off thrown into an incinerator for power generation.
>>
>>3582302
what right do cows have not to be turned into tools by humans?
>>
>>3579797
>vegans are evil
this is where you lose all credibility, anon
>>
File: UTNHVf6.png (308 KB, 531x483)
308 KB
308 KB PNG
It's unethical not to. Cows are being slaughtered for meat already, so you should use their skins as well. If you don't you're as vile as a vegan who doesn't eat meat served to her - the animal is already dead, your refusal to eat it only means you're wasting its death for your holier-than-thou attitude.

You should eat, drink and clothe yourself in cow.
>>
leather is just a byproduct of the beef industry, in a way its more disrespectful to let part of the animal go to waste, although i dont own anything thats leather bc i dont like the material
>>
>>3582513
That's a bad argument because it ignores the basics economics
>>
I use leather for tool bags. I don't think I'd ever wear leather for clothes but god damn if these tool bags aren't some of lightest, and wear resistant bags I've ever used.
>>
>>3582642
What if the meat is also already paid for?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.