[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 75 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: _20201119_153414.png (765 KB, 714x1068)
765 KB
765 KB PNG
Post dog pics, rate dogs, discuss dogs, be kind
>>
I love german shepherds
>>
File: big dummy.jpg (1.34 MB, 2592x1944)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>has beds all over the house
>sleeps on the floor
>>
>>3579334
Floor is nice and cool! What a cute chunky doggy
>>
>>3579316
>t. germanboo
>>
>>3579337
it's funny to me because half the time they lay in the sunshine spot on the floor soaking in the rays
>>
File: 1600493861062.jpg (111 KB, 583x485)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>3579339
I just think they're really good looking dogs. Not so much the super bred ones with the weird hips and backs. They're strong, loyal, very smart, and can be as friendly as they are protective if trained right. What more could you want?
>>
>>3579353
They can be destructive too though. Shepards need an active owner and they need a certain amount of interaction to occupy them. Leave it alone to it's devices for too long and the next thing you know he's eaten a hole through your wall.
>>
>>3579334
Very nice coat and a cute sleepy boy
>>
File: liquid puppy.jpg (2.01 MB, 2592x1944)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>3579384
He's a good boy. It's the other one you have to watch out for
>>
File: mally.jpg (13 KB, 280x180)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>3579353
> What more could you want?
A super saiyan version of the GSD: Aka the Belgian Malinois. As long as you survive its adolescent phase, the mally is a good boy as well. Easier said than done though..
>>
File: _20201119_173934.png (1.15 MB, 720x1548)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB PNG
Should I invest in a nice harness now, or wait till she's older so she doesn't outgrow it as she's growing so quick?
>>
Please vote
https://www.strawpoll.me/35150897
>>
>>3579403
depends on your situation. I only ever harness the dogs in the car. How much are you walking? How refined do you want to make her walking on a leash? Dogs don't really learn proper behavior in a harness. Training collar is way more effective despite what some people try to tell us.

Now, if you aren't looking for those refined leash manners or she'll be off leash a lot then a good harness is fine. I still like to take it off when we go on wilderness walks and I know they'll be running off into the woods. harnesses get caught on things easier. But, I think they are essential in the car. Keeps them in their seat while still giving them the freedom to look outside and everything.
>>
My wife is pregnant and I have a german shepherd
I feel like he'll be protective and patient when the baby comes, but I want to know if there's anything I can do to prepare him for having a baby human around
How do I make sure my dog won't kill my kid, /dog/?
>>
adorbes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCuRO1PYKnU
>>
>>3579756
Don't leave dogs and kids unsupervised. It's not even a matter of dog temperament, a baby's immune system simply isn't up to dealing with everything a dog can carry.
>>
>>3579374
>if you leave the turkey in the oven it's going to burn therefore ovens are shit, SHIT!

>>3579403
wait.
>>
Anyone got any tips on keeping my pup occupied on hot days? She wants to play but where I live it gets hot enough during the day she can't even walk on the dirt outside because it burns her puppy pads, think cat on a hot tin roof. But the thing is I haven't found anything that can actually wear her out aside from getting her out in the yard and running her into the ground, if I don't do that she starts stealing my clothes for fun. She completely loses interest in toys I buy her within an hour or two.
>>
>>3579910
puppy boots are a good idea for winter and summer. in winter, the grass and dirt can get razor sharp here in early fall and in summer the black top can be painful too so we use those. get a high quality boot from say ruffwear, ideally try it on with the dog and then go slowly getting the dog used to them minute by minute. don't just strap them on and then go for a 4 hour hike, this may give the dog blisters just as would in humans.

nosework can help timulate a dog inside or outside when space is limited. like, hide a toy and when the dog rerrieves it reward it with a treat.

>She completely loses interest in toys I buy her within an hour or two.

get toys that are meant to be used with you. I don't leave any toys around for my dog aside from a few plush toys to keep her interest in them high. the balls, tugs, frisbees, kongs etc. are only used during specific times and then put away. for playing tug I'd suggest getting the Collar Pullar ring toys but an old plush toy or rolled up wet towel will work too.
>>
>>3579937
>puppy boots are a good idea for winter and summer
Yeah but the other side of this is it's too hot outside for ME too. It's 45 Celsius right now and it's not even the hot part of summer yet.

>get toys that are meant to be used with you
Again, same problem. I do that but it's impossible to wear her out, which means I never get a moment of peace because she's wants to go outside and run until she drops. Playing with her keeps her from getting bored, but I can't do it every minute of every day. When it's cooler I solve this by just exercising her until she's had enough three times a day then she goes to sleep for a few hours.
>>
>>3579944
what is this Australia?

doing nosework isn't going to be that hard on you, bring a sun umbrella, bring water for the both of you and go hiding toys alternatingly; while the dog is looking for one, you can go hide the other. slowly train the dog do do this inside with the toys barely hidden, say behind a desk leg, slowly increasing the difficulty aand eventually moving outside. use a proper verbal cue for the game and reward with food, pats, maybe a bout of tug - whatever your dog likes.

what breed is it?
>>
>>3579950
>what is this Australia?
Central Australia.

>what breed is it?
Alaskan Husky/Kelpie cross so she wants to RUNNN.
>>
File: treiball_66.jpg (115 KB, 800x585)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>3579955
ahwha fuck then. can't even suggest nosework to you since the dog may run into a brownsnake or other such nightmares. get the boots, run the dog; alternatively, go find a farmer with sheep who'll let you practise on them. alternatively alternatively, ge some gym balls and do treibball, pic related.
>>
>>3579959
Snakes aren't too much of an issue around here because it's too hot for them. They fucking fry if they get into the sun. Besides if I take her outside she just goes and finds some shade to sit down in, she's too smart to do anything in the heat. Its inside with the AC on that she starts bouncing off the walls.
>>
>>3579964
well, feed her all her food from a frozen KONG toy. look it up on YT. it's not going to do too much for her but it is something...
>>
File: IMG-20201119-WA0000.jpg (3.14 MB, 2250x4000)
3.14 MB
3.14 MB JPG
Autumn walkies
>>
File: barn10year.png (553 KB, 741x448)
553 KB
553 KB PNG
My 12 1/2 year old dog just failed to get up the stairs for the first time. Then to be safe I had to coerce him down the stairs one step at a time to make sure he didn't stumble over himself. Kinda sad about it and yeah it's a blog post. I'm sure he can have a bit to go still despite being weak in the back legs, but this definitely hit like a baseball bat in the feels. He isn't a spry doggy anymore. Here's him as a pup and at 10.
>>
>>3580007
go see a vet to check for something that can be treated and is the cause. don't make it climb the stairs up and down any more, this will fuck any hurt joints more. get frozen sardines/mackerels and feed the dog those, the good o3 fats will help decrease inflammation. 1kg bag costs me 4€ at Lidl. I hope your dog makes it a few more years without pain!
>>
>>3579316
It wasn't until I saw one in the flesh, pulling its reasonably jacked owner into a creek, that I understood how positively huge they can get, and why some people consider "casual" GSD owners to be white trash - it can't be easy to just jump into training one of those big boys without at least some notion of what to do, so there are bound to be some unruly ones around.
And to think that my obese father of 65 years with fucked hips and back considered getting one, there's a sobering thought.
>>
File: 20201120_101415.jpg (1.56 MB, 1881x3345)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB JPG
>>3579400
The guy I got this girl from said she was a Dutch Shepherd. We got her DNA tested and it turns out that she's half Malinois. I've never had a puppy so intent on wrecking my shit before with all her biting and flying headbutts.
She seems to have gotten past the asshole phase now and is turning into a gud dog.
>>
>>3580435
your foot, its ass. make the connection and it'll listen.
>>
>>3580435
Mals... hhs... kinda the same thing in a lot of cases. Disregard the mongoloid poster above and look up Larry Krohn on YT for training. These dogs, once trained and put on a daily schedule of activities, will repay all the effort put into them 10000 fold.
>>
File: rintintin-678x381.jpg (57 KB, 678x381)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>3580402
Yeah, I always thought german shepherds looked like rin tin tin. Thats what they used to look like when the breed was first established, but now there's show and working line gsd's that push close to a 100lbs. I was blown away when I first saw one. I heard part of the reason why law enforcement and military have been switching over to the malinois is because the working lines are getting too big.
>>
>>3580435
Dutch shepherd is pretty much almost exact to mal anyway so you get pretty much what you asked for. I adopted a young “gsd-doberman mix” from a local shelter that turns out to be a mal-doberman 50/50 mix. Now that’s a big jump
>>
File: dog faces upclose cute.png (513 KB, 994x632)
513 KB
513 KB PNG
I always wanted to get a dog but pretty soon I'm probably going to be working full time again and have nobody else who could take care of it.

I could have fostered a dog during this coronavirus shit when I was unemployed for 7 months but I probably would have gotten too attached. fml
>>
>>3580581
It’s okay. The foster/adopt waitlist is so fucking insane for shelter/rescue that it is unlikely that you get a dog in a timely manner anyway unless it’s a bully type dog
>>
>>3580581
Dogs are everywhere. Just go to a dog park and ask, people will throw them at you if you seem half way respectable...
>>
>>3580581
Dogs adapt well to you working full time if you provide adequate stimulation before and after work. They'll just sleep most of the day.
>>
>>3580446
>Using force on a Malinois
It'll call you a faggot and come back at you twice as hard.
>>
File: 20201112_051321.jpg (2.45 MB, 1650x2200)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB JPG
Juni just started her second heat. This will be the one that decides whether I'll be going with traditional spay or ovary sparing spay for her

>>3579292
Is this little Kaya, OP? She's looking good!

>>3580435
She looks like a good girl

>>3580561
>mal-doberman 50/50 mix
Pics please, that sounds like an awesome mix

>>3580581
Lots of people have dogs and work full time and make it work just fine. As long as your dog's needs are taken care of while you're home it shouldn't be a problem. Don't let your dreams be dreams anon.
>>
>>3580644
It works fine but you will need a very secure fenced yard and a microchip secured dog door so they can take a shit midday.

By secure I mean dig barriers under 6ft fences, no stepping platforms that enable jumping/climbing, and if the dog is athletic enough, rollers or angled tops for the fence.
>>
>>3580647
forgot to mention you need something like rollers if coyotes are anywhere near you
>>
File: IMG_20201120_151119_1~2.jpg (649 KB, 1926x1722)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
>>3580644
Yes it's kaya! She's doing super great, guess we got through all the hardships!
>>
>>3580644
>>3580644
He’s an insane fucker. Scoop him from a some local county shelter. He and his brother just got dropped off for less than week. It was a first come first serve kinda deal shelter. I didn’t expect a clean 50/50 mix and I sure as hell didn’t expect belgian mal to be in the mix instead of gsd.
>>
File: 20201024_172048.jpg (1.93 MB, 2200x1650)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>3580659
Glad to hear it! She's adorable, I love her ears.
>>
File: 20201118_051452.jpg (2.41 MB, 2200x1650)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>3580661
Yeah, 50/50 mixes are pretty rare in shelters and honestly dobe/mal is a dream mix of mine (I think it would be a good choice for a doberman outcross project to include more genetic diversity and fix some of the health issues dobes have.) I think you lucked out, he's gorgeous and I bet he's a great dog!
>>
>>3580661
>>3580644
I was initially just happy that he didn’t have that sloppy ass gsd hip but I just thought the doberman gene cancelled it out. In retrospective, he just have a mal body with a slight doberman’s lanky legs (he trot like a doberman). It’s interest how a mal’s coat color mix with doberman coat color kinda create a gsd-like coat color pattern.
>>
File: 4[1].png (26 KB, 128x128)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>only vet in the area has a page on their site dedicated to "alternative medicine"
>i.e. acupuncture and other chinese bullshit
>pictures of dogs with a bunch of needles in them looking miserable
>can't even go in with pet, can only drop off

imagine being a vet and also believing in magic
>>
File: begone thought.jpg (248 KB, 737x625)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>3580763
What? That's a good thing. Now you know what vets NOT to visit.
>>
hey anons, I got a puppy dachshund like a month ago. 3 months old and he's high energy as fuck and loves to bite my hands and hump my arm. how should I lecture him to calm down a little on these habits or should I wait it out and let them go away with age? also tips in general, thanks in advance
>>
Help, my puppy is so fucking hyper that I can't train him. I try to do obedience training with him, but he very quickly loses focus and just wants to roll around of the floor. When I try to calmly touch him to show him "down" he starts rolling around and play biting. He's 9.5 weeks old. I can't leash train him because he just grabs the leash and starts shaking it and chewing it. I read you're supposed to introduce him to a leash slowly by clipping it to his collar and letting him drag it around and get used to it, and only pick it up to lead him once he starts to ignore it. He doesn't ignore it. He just chews it and runs with it in his mouth.

I called a trainer and asked why he's so hyper and how to get him to be calm/stop chasing/biting so much and she just said "it's because he could be too tired, or not tired enough, maybe too little stimulation or not enough stimulation, maybe he's had too little or too much food, etc." Thanks for fucking nothing
>>
File: peanut.jpg (202 KB, 677x903)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>
>>3579316
Me too.
>>
My dog just hit a pole while doing zoomie in my backyard. He stopped and whimpered for like 5 sec then go back to being zoomie and running normally. I palpated all over his body and didn’t feel anything off and he didn’t react to any pain. Is there something I should worry about?
>>
>>3580810
Honestly just watch some videos on youtube if you can't find a good trainer. This dude's got some really in-depth stuff. Sometimes shills products but whatever, just skip past it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVnm5c3xCqs
>>
File: 20201029_160140.jpg (1.27 MB, 2611x2327)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
Lobes himm
>>
File: IMG-20201112-WA0000.jpg (2.98 MB, 2250x4000)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB JPG
>>3580873
Blacky did that too a few days ago (I removed the pole later). If he doesn't have any signs of injury, he'll be fine. It's like you hitting your head against something, ouch and that's it.
>>
>>3580810
Just lure him into position with food. Use his daily meal as treat to train him. Puppy are especially food motivated and will do anything for food. If you try to physically force him into certain position, he just see it as rough play and will just try to play bite your hand.
>>
>>3580891
Staffy crossed with something else? Staffies are great dogs but goddamn they fart all the time and it STINKS.
>>
>>3580678
Lanky dogs are so cute, they can be both elegant and goofy at the same time, I love it

>>3580810
The trainer gave you legit advice, it's hard to pinpoint the issue if you're not there to see the pup and their whole routine/how the owners are interacting with them, etc. It could be any of those things causing the issue but honestly he's a puppy and those behaviors are all normal puppy behaviors. Best you can do is be patient and set him up for success.

For training, use food lures rather than trying to move him into position yourself--he will learn better this way. Trying to move him into position yourself is harder for a dog to understand especially since he's a puppy and likely is interpreting your touch as playful (think about how he reacts to it.) Be sure to keep training sessions short and sweet--he's a baby and has a shit attention span right now so you can't expect much focus from him yet. Train for a couple minutes, then just play, encourage him to bite toys and play tug. Give him edible, puppy safe chews to occupy himself to give him some calmer down time and reinforce chilling the fuck out. Just be patient because it's normal for training not to look perfect with puppies, especially in the beginning. Give it time.

As for the leash, try getting a leash made of chain--most dogs will not enjoy the feeling of biting on metal and will quickly learn the leash is not a fun toy to chew or play with. After he's learned not to bite his leash you can introduce leather/nylon/rope/whatever type leashes later.

Check out Kikopup's puppy training videos on youtube, there is a lot of useful info there on a variety of subjects.

And really, don't worry too much. Lots of (most) puppies are crazy, bitey little monsters and they grow out of it. They are just brand new to the world right now and have to figure it all out.

>>3580787
See my reply to >>3580787
>>
File: 20191218_154122.jpg (3.5 MB, 2500x1875)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
>>3580824
Cute 'yote

>>3580873
Ouch, poor guy! Keep an eye out for any limping or other signs of pain, but it's likely it only hurt for a moment and he's just fine now.
>>
File: dog reaction img (4).jpg (23 KB, 261x215)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Anybody got the dog reaction image of a dog with a bunch of action lines towards its face? It's a GSD I think.

Also what are the chances that I visit a shelter and it's all shitbulls? I live in a major metropolitan area.
>>
>>3580494
this is how a gsd should look
who the fuck thought that sloping-back/plantigrade-rear-legs shit was a good idea?
>>
>>3581507
Maybe some show/competitive fag thought that having a slope back would make it easier for a gsd to do a competitive heel walk or have the illusion of doing so. I’m just guessing
>>
>>3579292
How do I teach my dog to hold an object?

I have been clicking and treating for her picking it up but she just drops it immediately (before I click).
>>
>>3579977
you shouldnt led your dog walk in front. always at heel. bet he gives you a lot of problems
>>
>>3580494
>>3579316
Thin/small GSDs a best
>>
>>3581582
I like this skinny bitch.
>Doesn't bring the ball right back
EMPHASIS ON BITCH
>>
>>3581480
Do they have a website? If so check what dogs they have
>>
File: 20201121_083301-1.jpg (757 KB, 1274x1080)
757 KB
757 KB JPG
Morning snuggle
>>
>>3580810
Your trainer is 100% right though
Puppies that have too much energy are garder to train, when they get tired that get moody or get zoomies and they're hard to train
It's a bit hard to tell with puppies because they sleep so much but make sure he's actually getting enough sleep
18-22 hours a day is recommended for young pups like you have
Other than that just keep at it, the most important thing is consistency
>>
File: 1605223043610.jpg (283 KB, 1080x947)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>3580824
Ah, the American Howling Retriever. Quite a breed.
>>
File: IMG_20200902_122911_419.jpg (483 KB, 1367x1367)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>3581600
Rude
>>
File: at the YDCA.webm (1.53 MB, 480x848)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB WEBM
>>3581652
>>3581582
>>3581600
Inga probably just wants you to chase her, try it.
>>
>>3580435
Dutch shepherd is the same as malinois
>>
>>3580561
Post pics of your dog
>>
>>3581666
Here
>>3580661
>>3580678

But also a bonus from yesterday for your request
>>
>>3581665
No, DS are Hollandse Herdershond while Mals are Belgian Shepherds. Very close genetically but not the same still.
>>
>>3581660
She LOVES to be chased. One of my friend's kids tore around after her the other night and she had the best time.
>>
>>3580402
That dude with the big GSD obviously hadn't figured out the proper technique for bracing against a lunging/pulling, yet. There is one. It's a little hard to explain, but you sort of keep your leash arm locked in close to your body, keep your weight in your heels, and lean back just a little as a counterweight.
>>
>>3580402
>>3581800
Inga is only sixty pounds but when she really wants something I've seen her pull my fiance clean off her feet when she wasn't paying attention. They're very strong and athletic dogs. It's not just their strength but the ease with which they can move their bodies. They're very graceful. You've got to watch their body language and be ready.

We've been working on our girl's impulse control and she's getting better but I really hope she calms down as she enters adulthood. She's 8 months now and still hasn't had her first heat. We plan on getting her spayed at a year provides she's gone into heat by then.
>>
>>3581810
Oh, I know precisely how strong they are. I have two males. My youngest turns 2 in February. They do calm down eventually, bur it took my older dog until he was about 4 or 5 to really settle into his adult personality.
>>
What's a good bully stick holder? Some of the ones on Amazon look overdesigned/silly.

Also why does my mini Aussie roll on her back and go "awoooorgowoooo"? She does it on grass, in leaves, on the floor, on the rug.
>>
>>3581826
Safetychew.com is good, look up reviews on YT.

Post pics of you MAS! Scent rolling is something many dogs will do, they roll in food, shit or whatever smells interesting they have found - supposedly as a means of communication as they carry the scent back to the pack. Its also just asinine playfulness...
>>
I'd like to go camping with my dog this winter (Florida so camping season is opposite). Any tips? It would be in a tent not a camper/rv.
>>
>>3579334
Floors are nice and hard.
>>
>>3581826
>What's a good bully stick holder?
A bad dragon penetrable.
>>
>>3581966
And cooler than the dogbed.
>>
File: image1.jpg (60 KB, 670x678)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
sleepy alarm dogs
>>
>>3579292
Which breed of domestic dog can kill a gray wolf individually?
>>
File: 1596586653479.jpg (71 KB, 565x403)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>fart
>dog goes wild trying to sniff it
>>
>>3582042
Borzoi.
>>
>>3582042
probably an Akita, Komondor, or maybe a Tosa. im sure some of the mastiff breeds (tibetan, for example) could as well
>>
Hey /dog/. Getting an English Cocker Spaniel puppy in about 2 weeks. Any tips for a first-time owner of the breed?
>>
>>3582167
They're cute but stupid.
>>
File: 20201115_175918.jpg (734 KB, 2880x2880)
734 KB
734 KB JPG
The Jews fear the Beaglehound.
>>
File: signal-2020-11-19-204559.jpg (119 KB, 1024x1873)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
My 4 year old Mini Foxie pepper has been having a rough go of it lately. My girlfriend (who lived with me and who pepper loved) of 5 years just left me and moved 8 hours away, so now it's just me and pepper. I'm also back at the office after 6 months of working from home now that covids over, and pepper is having a bad time when I leave in the morning. I set up a cheap chink camera to keep an eye on her when I'm gone and she will pant heavily, run around whining, and even howl (pictured) for up to half an hour when I leave.

Any advice for dealing with a recurrence of seperation anxiety sparked by covid ending and having to go back to work?
>>
How come just because you guys have dogs you all talk like faggots
>>
>>3582294
bunch of women in this thread. the men are supposedly posting pictures of their dogs on furaffinity.

>you just know
>>
File: 1603741181793.jpg (81 KB, 842x792)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>3581480
NANI
>>
>>3582294
>>3582307
Toxo cat fags please kill yourself
>>
>>3582257
>now that covids over
What planet are you on?
>>
>owning a poodle in prickle season
AAAHHHHH WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS PAIN
>>
>>3582402
Also I've started walking him with my uncle and his dogs, in which he spends the entire walk chasing balls with them, he was already slightly underweight because he's a picky eater/just doesn't eat a lot and the extra strenuous exercise has made him lose even more weight, what can I feed him to make gains, would puppy food be okay? He's a 4yo standard poodle
>>
>>3582257
1-2hrs of exercise and stimulation in the early morning before you go. nosework, fetch, tug - whatever you dog likes best. set up a schedule that your dog can rely on and train it to do so. you have a big task ahead if you want to keep a dog and work all by your lonesome....
>>
>>3582380
Australia and I live in a rural area so it's pretty much finished, we get like a handful of cases a day countrywide
>>
>>3582413
Thanks, that's what I've been trying to do, I guess it's all about getting her accustomed to it. Yeah it is, I'm thinking of starting a PhD soon so I'll be home a lot more for her again.
>>
>>3582445
Ah, that makes sense. It's still really bad over here (US)
>>
>last month parents' dog stops eating very much
>I say they should probably take it to the vet
>they insist it's just getting old and switch from dry to canned food
>this works for a couple weeks and then it stops eating the canned food
>again they insist the dog is just getting old and they try feeding it with scrambled eggs and ham and such but it still eats hardly anything
>dog starts showing difficulty walking
>recommend the vet again
>they blame old age again
>as of today they haven't been able to get the dog to walk at all, and it's apparently just laying motionless on its bed and crying constantly
The dog IS old, sure, but there's almost certainly something wrong with it internally at this point, right?
Worst part is their vet's apparently closed on the weekends, so even though I've finally convinced them to get the dog looked at it's just going to have to lay there and suffer until Monday.
>>
File: IMG_20190728_202058.jpg (3.92 MB, 4608x3456)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB JPG
Can i get some tea please?
>>
>>3581507
Showfags are a cancer to good dog breeds.
>>
>>3582307
Because I just love my puppy wuppy so much.
>>
So, I posted awhile ago about my neighbors who keep their hounds in kennels full time with no exercise and no real shelter. The only way the owners interact with these dogs is to tell at them or shock them for barking, which they do all the time. My state even has laws that require kenneled dogs receive one hour of exercise a day. I wanted to provide an update:

I reported them to the dogwarden of my town. His investigation consisted of a single phone call to them and no action. I've heard my neighbor say, "They're hounds. I'm not going to play ball with them. They stay in the kennel until it's time to hunt." I've seen these dogs out of the kennel only once. Really appalled by the treatment of these animals and unsure of what I should do now.
>>
File: 1596879708765.gif (1.66 MB, 390x285)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB GIF
>Lab mutt keeps getting bloat and throwing up kibble
>Tell mom she's overfeeding it
>She panics and things dog is dying
>Keeps feeding it more kibble
>Dog continues to do this for a week
>I start checking his shits
>I think he has a blockage so I feed him smaller portions with mineral oil
>He gets better
>Mom immediately thinks he's better and fills his bowl with kibble again
>he gorges himself because he's starving
>Omg he threw up again, guess it's time for the vet
>Give him a smaller portion and he's fine
>Mom says she had two dogs die when she was young due to twisted stomachs (the worst case of dog bloat possible)
>mfw
>>
hound dogs best dogs
>>
>>3582687
if its the law, call the coppers. keep calling them. doing the right thing is hard and often comes at a cost to yourself. that's why it is the right thing, if it wasn't hard, everybody would be doing it. good luck.

>>3582691
>>3582470
a vet is certainly a good idea...
>>
>>3582691
How have you not gone off on your mom yet?
>>
>>3582691
I know how you feel
I constantly wages ongoing war with my whole family over raising our newly adopted dog who is less than 1 year old
> no you shouldn’t yell and punish the dog for grabbing some stuffs and chewing on them, it’s a fucking puppy
> No i won’t yell at the dog for stepping over some plant accidentally in the garden when it’s not even aware of doing it
> stop burying food waste in the damn garden if you don’t want the dog to take a dig at it
> no I won’t leave the dog kennel outside alone for more than 2-3 hours
> no I’m not putting a fucking prong or e-collar on the dog this young
>>
>>3582702
I've had a number of issues with them and I'm worried my behavior will be misconstrued as harassment.
>>
>>3582769
that's what I meant with " cost to yourself". western legal systems support the wrong doers in general because those vote deocrat/left. it is what it is. best thing you can do is collect evidence and keep doing what's right. otherwise just forget about it.
>>
File: 20201122_114121.jpg (3.27 MB, 2529x2529)
3.27 MB
3.27 MB JPG
>>3579292
This is my pupper, Molly. She's 12 weeks old as of yesterday.
>>
File: IMG_20201122_200304~2.jpg (793 KB, 1844x2760)
793 KB
793 KB JPG
my parents overfeed our dog
>>
>>3582849
Kick them out.
>>
File: Dog.jpg (718 KB, 2016x1512)
718 KB
718 KB JPG
Any advice on a puppy who is a little shit? Pic related, just under 6 month old Japanese Spitz, my first dog since I was a child and the first as the primary carer for.

I did so much research and tried to do everything right. He is an expensive top pedigree purebred. We crate trained, took him to puppy pre-school, exposed him to the world as much and as safely as possible. Even though my wife and I both work fulltime, for 4 months we have woken up at 3am every night to let him out of his crate and take him out to toilet. We have taken advantage of coronavirus WFH to train him every day.

I'm really struggling with the ongoing disruption. I haven't had a good night's sleep since July. We decided to try letting him sleep in his enclosure so we wouldn't have to get up at 3am, and at first he whined at 7am which was okay, but today he whined at 5.30am and mostly recently at 6am. When we get up that early we need to go back to sleep so we tried putting him in his enclosure again after going to the toilet but he continued to whine. We tried crating him at that time but he still whined. Just this morning we made safe the backyard as best we could and left him there and I can hear him barking constantly, which he rarely does when we're supervising.

The sleep is the main issue, but he is also unresponsive to commands he mastered at 10 weeks old unless we bait him with food. He has always been highly distracted on our daily walks regardless of whether we're retreading the same routes or trying something new, always coming to a dead stop whenever another pedestrian or cyclist is nearby, which is quite frequently in my area. And when let out of his enclosure he often runs straight upstairs where he knows he's not allowed unsupervised and eats the shit from the cat litter. Not to mention that he has always eaten his own shit unless we clean it up before he can turn around.

I love him a lot but my life has completely collapsed to care for this little shit 24/7, what do?
>>
>>3582896

the 2enclosure" is likely not in the room you sleep in while the crate was? if so, that' sthe problem: the dog has, mild, seperation anxiety. which is why it's crying even when it's outside (alone).

watch these vids and search the channel for more on training for any particular issue you are interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc5IQkm3W4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRz6crbrMMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJMKDK33Ig
>>
>>3582896
Do you play with him before bed time
>>
>>3582309
Thanks brah.
>>
>>3583016
Yeah, we try to run him around in the yard before bed every night and we walk him every day.

>>3582943
The opposite actually, the crate was in the downstairs enclosure while the bedroom is upstairs and the new enclosure for sleeping is in it. I think he has only the mildest separation anxiety, he doesn't cry when we leave or put him to bed downstairs, though he is excited when we come home. I have already watched those videos and much on that channel.
>>
I think my dog is scared of the dark. I exercise her until she drops around sundown, but she wakes up at around 1am if I do this and at that point she starts walking around the house whining loudly unless I turn the lights on. But she settles down if I leave the lights on.
>>
>>3582470
Well, I was right. She died.
>>
are german shepherds good for hiking and adventure? I want a travel buddy
>>
>>3583445
It can be if you get an even temperament one and put time into training. A golden/lab retriever is easier for that as they have the athleticism for hike/camp but doesn’t have as high of a prey drive and prone to reactivity that you have to work through.
>>
>>3583453
thanks for the info!!!! guess I have a lot to learn about dogs
>>
File: 6416516685.jpg (278 KB, 900x600)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
Haven't seen this one for a while. Think she still likes me
>>
>>3583486
You won't learn it here, every time I post here I get max 2 replies, all unhelpful.
>>
File: kiad75wh6ql01.jpg (216 KB, 1120x2208)
216 KB
216 KB JPG
>>3583445
Dude. Get a husky.
>>
Can someone just confirm for me how long you can crate a dog for? I want to get a full night's sleep.
>>
>>3583740
a grown dog that's been exercised before enough and has shat and pissed and that you trained to like being in the crate (!!!) you can crate for up to 4hrs in an emergency. a puppy? depending on age maybe 1-2hrs as they will need to piss much more frequently. if you leave a puppy in the create for too long and let it soil itself, the traumatic experience will dramatically hinder your crate training and make the dog dislike the crate.
>>
>>3583747
So if you crate your dog at night you will never get more than 4 hours of sleep at a time?
>>
>>3583756
a grown dog can go the night without needing to be let out to piss. crating for grown dogs serves a different purpose than it does in puppies that are being house trained over night. puppies can't hold it that long, so yes, while your dog can't control it's bladder yet you'll have a hard time resting. most people have to get up multiple times before the puppy is about 8 months old.
>>
>>3583763
My dog is 6 months and can hold for about 7 hours, I specifically asked about dogs generally though. Is it cruel if they have no trouble holding and like their crate?
>>
>>3581890
Thanks. Here’s my goof.

>>3583740
My four-month-old sleeps in her crate through the night. Water gets taken up at 7:30, last call for potty just before bed at 9:30, goes out in the morning at 7 or 7:30.
>>
File: rubb rubbb RUBBBBB.webm (2.28 MB, 848x480)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB WEBM
>>3583765
that's why i ganve a general answer. you don't generally crate grown, house trained dogs. if you do, it's because of some emergency and here I think a few hours are acceptable. people shouldn't be getting the idea that it's ok to crate their grown dogs for say 8 hrs while they work cause it is not. puppies you crate over night so you can get at least some sleep without them wandering off and killing themselves somehwo while you do. but frequent piss breaks during the night can not, usually, be avoided. do not expect >>3583923 to be the rule everybody knows (M)ASs are the master race....
>>
>>3583945
>>3583923
Yeah the goal is to have him sleep next to or on the foot of the bed eventually, but even with last piss at 11pm my 6 month old still starts whining before 6am, and if we try to go back to bed he just whines non-stop until we wake up permanently with him.

When we had him crated downstairs and took him out at 3am he would never whine at all. This was preferable because even though I was waking earlier I could at least get back to sleep. Just now I ignored 2 hours of crying between 6 and 8am after we woke, took him out to toilet, and put him and ourselves back to bed.

Please note I never crate him except overnight.
>>
> try to enforce an afternoon nap
> okay place dog in the crate with some toy, give him some toys to chew
> proceed to chew on the dog bed
> remove dog bed
> dog whined like he’s being fucking murdered then settle down
> go praise him and open the crate, give some treat and pet
> he went out of the crate and lie down on the dog bed inside of the crate nicely
> alright then, give him his dog bed back in the crate
> proceed to chew on dog bed again inside crate
Wtf is this fuck doing. I guess he doesn’t get a bed for his afternoon nap then.
>>
>>3584224
well go back to doing what you did before: 2300 go to bed, 0300 wake for a piss, 0600++ wake up. I don't even get why you stopped doing that when it worked, one break during the night is pretty reasonable.
>>
>>3584301
Because at 6 months I thought he would be able to hold. I don't actually want to wake up at 3am indefinitely.

What I read said the way to do it is to slowly extend the time from 3am to 3.30, then 4, etc, but the issue is that now the wakeup time is at daylight (sunrise at 5am at the moment) he doesn't want to go back to bed.
>>
File: IMG-20201122-WA0000.jpg (1.47 MB, 2250x4000)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>3583740
>>3583945
>>3584355
Crating dogs is some anglo bullshit. Nobody in Europe does that. My dog sleeps in bed with me and he wakes me up once a night at like 3am for a piss. I've gotten used to it over the years, in return he keeps me warm at night, saves heating bills.
>>
>>3584435
Boomers here don't do it either, it is very modern, but you'd be stupid to diss it.
>>
>>3584446
>Treating your dog like a nigger is modern
Ok cool. Dogs ain't den animals, dumbo, and keeping them away from physical access to their pack is retarded.
>>
>>3584435
> Crating dogs is some anglo bullshit
lmao. I assume you had soi boy dog breeds all your life. Good luck stopping a mallinois or a border collie from chewing up everything in the house during their adolescent phase. I had to crate my dog periodically throughout the day until he was at the age where he would stop chewing everything in the house.
>>
>>3584467
Its no different to putting a baby in a crib or cradle, they're only in there to sleep anyway and it stops them from putting their head in a plastic bag while you're asleep.
>>
My dog eats his own poop. It’s gotten serious enough for him to poop in secret or hold his poop during walk just to eat it. How do I fix this habit?
>>
File: Oz flowers.jpg (3.19 MB, 1836x2563)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
Flower sniff
>>
File: IMG_20201121_093219_01.jpg (927 KB, 2560x1440)
927 KB
927 KB JPG
Inga has taken to crying extremely loudly when she wants something. I'll do something like try to walk her to the car to go for a ride and she'll start pulling so I stop and she sits and then she starts screaming as loudly as she can like she's being murdered. I've always been careful to avoid rewarding crying but in the past month she's gotten so insanely vocal. Tips?
>>
>>3583634
huski I shall get :D
>>
File: 1604131058953.jpgb.jpg (42 KB, 640x854)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>3585034
>falling for the husky meme
don't. it's more like having a girlfriend than a dog. they'll take up the majority of your free time. you can have one other hobby, but mostly your life is just husky.
>>
>>3584598
Spread hot pepper powder on his poop.
>>
>>3584598
That means he lacks some nutrition. Change kibble and buy something good
>>
>>3585083
It means he may have once lacked something and now it's a habit.
>>
>>3584634
Eevee anon here. Ppl will say to ignore it and wait till she geows out of it. Problem is, crying, barking, chewing etc are all selreinforcing behaviours with a good chance of becoming more fixed with every repetition. So Id say to avoid setting it up to happen in the first place which is something only you can do as only you know your dog. If it happens, disrupt it as soon as possible but not with engaging
the dog with a treat or pats or whatever but doing something interesting on your own that catches her attention, like pretending to have something interesting and trying to keep it from her, or running away, or asking for obedience tricks etc...

Also, teaching the SPEAK and OUT commands will help because you can then use those to make her stop...
>>
>>3585207
I'll work on interrupting the behavior, thanks.

I considered setting it to a cue but I'm not sure it'd work for her. I taught her shake and now she goes around happily smacking people all the time.
>>
>>3583445
Blue heeler
>>
File: husky_poster2.jpg (185 KB, 800x450)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>3583634
>t
>>
File: korwin zwierzęta.jpg (416 KB, 640x477)
416 KB
416 KB JPG
polish ron paul
>>
Found out my 13-year-old bichon frise has a bad heart murmur. Don't really need veterinary advice, I've done my research and anything is gonna be too damn expensive and of limited effectiveness. If it's aortic stenosis like dad (the family MD) thinks that means he probably had bacterial endocarditis at some point and it fucked his heart valves.
>>
It is healthy to cuddle your dog! Please cuddle your dog!
>>
>it looks like a wolf!
>lives 20 years!
>smarter than a border collie!
>healthy as a mutt - because it is one!
>no foul odors!
>hypoallergenic!
>relaxed when you are, but always ready to work and play! not psycho like a husky!
>good nature of a golden retriever!

so these dogs are total bullshit right? they don't actually exist?
>>
File: chrome_WSQAQqT1ke.png (991 KB, 597x598)
991 KB
991 KB PNG
>>
>>3585706
It's actually just a malamute.
>>
>>3581507
>>3581516
>>3582585
burn down the akc
>>
>>3582585
There are extremist who fuck up dog breeds in both side. There are some showfags and their autistic breeding for aesthetic despit causing unhealthy features in the line. Then there are sportfags who go too far to create really crazy dog to max out performance in the field but unable to operate outside of the field without a muzzle and needing to be crated/kenneled or even get put down in middle of a program. There are plenty of showline breeders, working/sporting dog breeders who breed for good health and even temperament. Some breeders must figure out that they can breed a more even tempered and healthy line that safely fit into a family lifestyle.
>>
>>3585706
100% made up. Sled dog mutts aren't real.
>>
Any good online holiday deals available for dog toys/equipment/food ?
>>
>>3584487
I've never actually understood crating a dog past a certain point. I did borrow a crate with my latest GSD, mostly because we had a long car ride to get home, and I used it for a couple of months, but by the time he grew out of it that was that. He's had free roam since he was 12 weeks old. I didn't bother crating at all with my other two dogs.
>>
>>3586510
>I've never actually understood crating a dog past a certain point

it's the same as your spare tire: in an emergency, you want your dog to be able to be "stored" safely without going insane in there and gilling itself by trying to pry open the wires. for puppies, you just want to be able to catch an hour or so of sleep without the puppy wandering off and eating a sock, again killing itself. crate training may have been invented by anglos, dunno, but it certainly isn't bullshit - it's a useful trained behaviour with many applications.

>>3585263
it's like when ppl teach their dogs to ring a bell to be let out to piss. most dog will quickly learn to use the bell to just go out. Inga probably thinks of it as a hold up where she's extorting food: LOOK, I GAVE YOU PAW NOW YOU GIVE ME FOOD. GIVE! I think I told you about Eevee threatening to run in the street if I didn't give her treats already after 3 times of me calling her back when she was getting to close to it...
>>
thinking about volunteering at a dog shelter. whats been your experience? any tips?
>>
>>3586525
be open mineded but protect yourself. let the dogs come to you, don't invade their space forcefully. offer treats, play, pets but keep your face away from theirs. just common sense stuff.
>>
Anyone got an Airedale Terrier, wondering what they are like to own? How often do they need to visit a groomer or can you let their coat grow out with regular brushing?
>>
>>3586276
Look up your store of choice and add the words "discount code" on google.
>>
>>3586531
thanks. i want to see if i am cut out to keep a dog on my own. you know, if i am up to the job.
>>
>>3586538
good idea. depending on the shelter, they may give you some good training... or not. keep in mind, many dogs there could be frightful because of bad experience and scared animals lash out. so, like I said, go slow, don't invade their space, don't flinch or jerk your arms fast around them or raise them. best way to introduce yourself is to just kneel down quite far away from them and let them come to you.
>>
>>3586549
thanks fren will do
>>
File: help.jpg (378 KB, 2000x2000)
378 KB
378 KB JPG
Hey /dog/, my very old rescued beagle is definitely exhibiting major signs that he's going soon... Cognitive issues, barely eating, started pooping indoors, restless/separation anxiety, shivering/panting randomly, won't always sleep in his beds, etc. I have a feeling like it's going to be time soon, but in all honesty what do I do?

I just don't know... It's 3am and I'm stressed to hell for my wife's emotional fallout, as well as my own. We can't tell if he's actively in pain.

When do you do anything? What do you do? If he seizes up do we just get in the car as fast as possible and get to the vet? I just need advice, I'm sorry this is so lofty.
>>
>>3586574
how old is it? you could/should just go see a vet to check for general stuff just to make sure. then you could switch his diet to the highest quality you can afford. soemthing that doesn't task his GI system so much. say (deep frozen) whole sardines/mackerels, boiled chicken/turkey breast, chicken liver and heart and other organ meats. the point is to make every meal count without the vegg and grain trash you'll find in commercial food. but eventually, you'll just have to accept that your dog will have to go....

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.