[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: betta.jpg (61 KB, 564x438)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
/aq/
Before asking questions in this thread, do a bit of searching online to see if it has been answered already.
Make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
>Any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
>https://modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Articles and Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
>https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
>http://www.scotcat.com/
>https://www.loaches.com/species-index
>http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Discord:
>https://discord.gg/9BeQMWzNxa

Aquatic Plant Database:
>https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

old thread: >>3572183
>>
>>3577317
>>https://discord.gg/9BeQMWzNxa
Kill yourself
>>
File: 1595587216064.png (397 KB, 872x566)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
Ahem. *hits CO2 diffuser* Is fish keeping the ultimate cuckoldry? I cannot think or comprehend of anything more cucked than keeping fish. Honestly, think about it rationally. You are feeding, medicating, raising and rearing a fish for at least 2 years solely so she can go and get ravaged by another fish. All the hard work you put into your beautiful little fish - introducing compatible tank mates, setting up the right filter with proper flow, making sure she had a healthy diet, giving her shelter, aquascaping its surrounding. All of it has one simple result: her body is more enjoyable for the fish that will eventually fuck her in every hole. Raised the perfect fish? Great. Who benefits? If you're lucky, a random fish who had nothing to do with the way she grew up, who breeds her. He gets to fuck her tight pussy every night. He gets the benefits of her disease-free body and peaceful temperament that came from the way you raised her. As a man who keeps fish, you are LITERALLY dedicating at least 2 years of your life simply to raise a fish for another fish to enjoy. It is the ULTIMATE AND FINAL cuck. Think about it logically.
>>
5 gallon betta tank, still cycling. But really happy with it
>>
I have a 29 gallon tank with some guppys (no big tails), cories and cardinaltetras.

I've heard both yes and no, do you think a Betta as a centerpiece fish would work there?

If not, what instead? An angelfish?
>>
>>3577683
>angelfish

No.
Never had a betta, so i can’t vouch for them from personal experience, although i doubt that guppies will be ideal.
As to angelfish - 29g is probably too small, and there is a good chance of them going after guppies. You might be lucky, but its a gamble
>>
>>3577683
Putting a betta in a tank with guppies sounds like a good way to kill your guppies.

The guppies tails, even smaller one, might trigger agressive behavior in Bettas. Male bettas with male or male/female guppies are a big no.

Female bettas with female guppies might work, but you could still see some agression, and guppies often nip at the betta.

My buddy had a tank with some mixed guppies and threw in a female betta in there. The betta chased them a bit, but it seemed fine. Then, a couple of days later, the betta had realized that the guppies are occupied while feeding and killed three of them while they were eating.

Every fish is different, and you *could* end up with a Betta that's cool with the other fish. But I wouldn't recommend it. I usually recommend Bettas to be the only fish in the tank, but you can have snails and shrimps.

And like anon said, >>3577685, 29 gal sounds too smal for an angelfish.

For your tank, what about a Dwarf Gourami? Tons of colour variations and they're very peaceful fish.
>>
Really wanna add a betta but all my "peaceful" fish already fight
>>
>>3577683
>betta
Unless the guppies are all female, no. It's the bright colors of the males that makes it dangerous.

A dwarf gourami, honey gourami, or Bolivian ram are all fairly easy and would work. Since you have guppies, if you have some way of handling the babies, sailfin mollies or swordtails are also possibilities
>>
Are there any proper sources verifying that "fish are sensitive to blue light"?
>>
File: saltwater reef tank nano.jpg (170 KB, 1080x1080)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
are there any singular and extensive sources for reef keeping knowledge and howto? similar to Diana Walstead's "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: a Practical Manual and Scientific Treatis", or aquariumscience.org for freshwater info?
>>
>>3578131
I only started my reef at the start of the year, but Bulk Reef Supply has been a monumental help to me in answering questions I thought might be dumb or silly, but going really in depth with them
For coral specific stuff I've watched Tidal Gardens videos
For really specific stuff I've either asked here or looked in a lot of forums because more often than not someone else has experienced what I have and has a very good solution
But, if there is a book like Walstad's I'd like one to have next to hers
>>
>>3578138
many thanks friend. at this point yesterday i could not tell you wether coral was a plant or an animal, but ive been watching so much and slowly planning stuff. maybe in a few months i can start a reef tank.
>>
>>3577683
>>3577685
>>3577712
Dwarf Gourami, Dwarf Rams (German, electric blue, etc), maybe a pair of Dwarf Cockatoo Cichlids. Only kept the first two with tetras/guppies (neon tetras and endlers specifically), so not sure about the last one.
>>
File: azolla.jpg (569 KB, 600x600)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
aids
>>
>>3578131
>>3578138
>>3578149
No singular resource. The subject is too vast.

There are several sites dedicated just to IDing random ass shit that magically appears in reef tanks with no warning.

(Speaking of which: https://www.melevsreef.com/critters , you're going to need it.)

The BRS facebook group is also great for asking questions and IDing stuff. I haven't added anything to my tank in months and I'm still finding new random ass shit popping up (one of which was an actual fish, wtf?).

Also, keep it cheap(er). Hook up with your local reef groups. Buying from LFS or online is a great way to go broke, and quite frankly is no guarantee of quality or lack of pests. My best coral has been from random ass craigslist people by far.
>>
File: 1565212149261.jpg (1.45 MB, 2200x2706)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>3578185
>https://www.melevsreef.com/critters
thanks for the link and tips, bookmarked for later.

what kind of stuff have you found? pics? one was a fish? lol
>>
>>3578184
Azolla might be our greatest tool in the ongoing battle against global warming.

You're right, though, it's balls in an aquarium. Pretty, but balls.
>>
there is a worm type thing on the front of my glass, very small. not sure what it is. very small. my tank is infested with snails though so.
>>
>>3578518
My bet is they're just detritus worms - they're harmless and spend most their lives in your substrate, though may come out towards evening to feed. I had an explosion of them in my tank, but their population worked itself out to the point where I no longer see them (unless I inspect the soil, where sure enough I can see one or two).

HOWEVER, if the worm is not long and noodle-like, but seems flat and stout, you may have planaria which can kill your livestock. Post pics?
>>
>>3578532
he is no longer on the glass but looks exactly like the pic. thank you anon.
>>
>>3578533
No problem m8
If you only see one as you seem to be suggesting, I'm surprised (I had easily over a hundred at one point on my glass). At any rate it sounds like you shouldn't have to worry about them - although harmless, I was getting annoyed how gross my tank looked in the evening with worms all over the front pane lol

Still, watch out for planaria. They can hitch a ride on plants and go unnoticed until its too late to order treatment in time. Good luck with your tank!
>>
Got like 15 bladder and trumpet snails from the lfs to get ready for pea puffers.
Interesting seeing these guys grow. Already I’ve seen 3 bladder snail egg sacks and a handful of very small trumpet snails. I wonder how many there will be by next month when this tank is hopefully cycled.

Seriously watching the tank a lot
>>
I'm thinking of starting a nano planted tank without co2. I have a packet of shrimp soil laying around. It can be used with plants. Do I need to use liquid fertz immediately in addition to that, or should I wait and see how the plants do? What fertz would you guys recommend?
>>
>>3578614
When you say nano, how small are we talking?
My experience and advice should be relevant - I've been running a 2.5g tank since July. I too am using a shrimp-suitable substrate (Fluval stratum). With dwarf hairgrass, narrow leaf java fern, java moss, hornwort, and a fledgling temple compacta in the tank, I at first used Seachem flourish and excel, but after a few weeks stopped the dosage. Once I stopped, I did not see a noticeable difference in plant growth.
Currently, I don't use any fertilizers or treatments. With the plants I have, I've found ferts to be unnecessary. However, this is not to say that you can/should follow my own procedure, as the plants you have may have greater requirements than those I have - it'd be helpful if you let us know what you plan to grow in your tank.

At any rate, so long as the tank is filtered well, a suitable light is situated with appropriate hours (I use 6h per day), and the temp is relatively stable (mine is at 76 F), you should be fine. At the beginning everything will seem off - you will have bacteria blooms, algae growth, and detrimones everywhere. But so long as you stick to a consistent plan, the tank should balance itself out.

I'm happy to share more info if you need. In fact the 2.5g tank I'm running is the first "success" story I have, with 50+ shrimp thriving and continuing to grow in population over the past 2 months.

Hope this helps :^)
>>
>>3578614
I've never found liquid ferts to be great. Root tabs have always been more effective for me.

These days I just use a dirt layer with a substrate cap (not sand, fuck sand; too much of a pain in the ass) with no ferts.
>>
>>3578647
What kind of substrate cap? Gravel?
>>
File: 1598863763884.jpg (288 KB, 1200x800)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
>>3578631
I'm planning to set up pic related. It's a 22cm cube. I already have a fish only tank but I've never kept plants before so I'm hoping to get into plants with this. I am thinking of keeping dwarf hairgrass and s. repens. Livestock will be red cherry shrimps. I've never kept shrimps before but I heard this is a good beginner shrimp.
>>3578647
I'm trying not to use dirt. I'd rather go with a single layer substrate since I already have a packet of shrimp soil that's perfect for my tank size. I assume I have to supplement root tabs after the soil runs out, am I right?
>>
>>3578652
Eco complete because I have a shit ton of it left over, but I imagine the shrimp soil would work just fine if it was something like Fluval Stratum. There is nothing special about Eco complete other than it was cheap when I bought it.
>>
>>3578654
You shouldn't have to worry about root tabs for some time - iirc most substrates will last about a year or more (and I'm quite sure I remember incorrectly lol). For now, the plants you mention should be fine, though the dwarf hairgrass may be finicky given the stock light you are using (as a kit, I don't know technical details about it - read into PAR values to learn more about what I'm talking about).

At any rate, I'm sure you will have no trouble growing your plants and establishing a colony of shrimp so long as you don't do anything stupid. Hell, I have an "extra" 2.5g tank with fire red shrimp that's consistently been at 72F, and my main tank has a pH of 8 or so which hasn't stopped my shrimp from breeding. Besides the hairgrass and repens, I'd recommend some kind of moss for the shrimp simply because they enjoy it for the fact that it catches small particles upon which they feed.

Keep us updated!
>>
File: 20201118_233936.jpg (2.74 MB, 4032x2477)
2.74 MB
2.74 MB JPG
My big tank's cycle crashed a bit when I redid the whole thing, but it appears to be stable again, so now I get to go back to looking for pygmy corys.
Also, new manzanita.
>>
File: 20201118_234039.jpg (467 KB, 2392x1936)
467 KB
467 KB JPG
>>3578676
Unintentionally, the new wood looks pretty wicked under just the moonlights.
>>
>>3578669
The light is 6500K, 400 Lumens and 4.5W power. I don't know about the PAR value though. What carpeting plant would you recommend in place of the dwarf hairgrass, if it's not feasible? Alternatively, could s.repens work as a carpet in this case?
>>
File: planaria-flatworm.jpg (67 KB, 990x743)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>3578532
>>3578540
How dare you slander the name of these qties
>>
>>3578614
I've done several tanks ranging 1.5 - 3 gallons with just plants and inverts. Generally I use Fluval Stratum or EcoComplete, maybe some minimal for tabs, and usually no liquid ferts. My experience is that they go really well and completely take care of themselves for 6-8 months, then start to look a bit crap. Though, admittedly, they might stay nicer looking if I did more work on them.

This is my current 2.5 gallon bedside tank. There are two Amanos and a nerite in there. It's been set up for almost a year now and I'm getting about ready to tear it down.

>>3578631
Post a pic of your tank. I really like seeing planted manos.

>>3578647
>dirt layer with a substrate cap
I did this once and ended up with a dingy brown mess. Fucking hated it.
>>
>>3578688
hello where are the pics :D
>>
>>3578654
>>3578669
>soil runs out
Pretty sure Stratum and EcoComplete, along with most other "plant substrates," don't come with any nutrients in them. Their usefulness with plants is due to their high cation exchange capacity (CEC), meaning that they "catch" nutrients floating through the water and hold onto them in a form that is easy for plants to use. Unless you're using something like ADA Aquasoil (which does have actual ferilizer in it), I would highly recommend using root tabs when first setting up the tank, just don't overdo it. For a tank that size, 4 root tabs is plenty for the whole tank.
>>
File: 20201118_235138.jpg (2.33 MB, 3982x2880)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>3578690
Shit sorry :D
>>
File: 03f390f84e5901f6.jpg (56 KB, 960x540)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
rate my tank
>>
>>3578765
nice breeding tank
>>
>>3578765
>>
wanna see aquarium of my department?
>>
>>3578773
yes
>>
>>3578765
>filename
>>3578773
Seconded.
>>
>>3578765
Beautiful biotope setup for the rare and elusive Sodomy Rasbora.
>>
>>3578830
..or a presently extinct dinosaur with 500 teeth
>>
>>3578833
My, what veiny incisors you have.
>>
File: image0.jpg (181 KB, 750x1334)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
when you eat a whole shrimp
>>
File: small cat.jpg (494 KB, 992x749)
494 KB
494 KB JPG
Only have one fish left. Pic related is her. All other fish have died of old age. I think she is happy though. Also fuck discord advertisements.
>>
>>3579023
>fish have died of old age.

That leaves me with a bittersweet aftertaste
Fish are dead and its sad
Fish lived a fulfilling life and its good
Maybe you should find her some peaceful companions?
>>
Hey anons. I have a well established 55L (10G) tank.
Current pop is 12 emerald dwarf raspbora, 6 male gups, 10 endlers, fucking loads of shrimp and some snails.
I have been doing the maths, and I think there's space for a little shoal of galaxy raspbora (10?)
What do you reckon anons? Alternatively I'd consider something solitary, chill and a bit bigger?

Any recommendations?
>>
>>3579154
get rid of the guppies/endlers and you'll have room for them
>>
File: 1605027344689.png (644 KB, 900x1296)
644 KB
644 KB PNG
>>3577317
>>
>>3579158
I'll take that as a no then.
>>
File: IMG-20201119-WA0011.jpg (1.16 MB, 4608x2184)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>3579154
This is probably gonna be sideways...
>>
I dont know why but this post on a local facebook aquarium group had me fucking dying of laughter
>>
>>3579224

ah! a classic guppy aquarium with hornwort and antiques
makes me want to lift my old aquarium from the basement and get some livebearers!
i really like it anon! you can try to overstock it, just make sure to have good filtration, aeration and make bigger water changes
but maybe consider getting another aquarium if you feel a need to expand?
>>
>>3579245
How roasted was that guy by the other group members?
>>
>>3579264
MTS is real.
I just know if I get another aquarium I'll have 5 not long after. I'd love me some Dwarf Puffers as well...
I wonder if I am well off on my maths, I did the calculation based on cm of fish and seem to have space, do 20% water change weekly, and decent filter. I notice the rasps hang out at the bottom when not shy, the gups are always front and centre, so as I love Raspbora that was my thinking but I could be persuaded otherwise.
>if this is retarded I would prefer not to harm my fishlings so do tell me.
>>
Hey /aq/, I'm getting ready to move across the country and if possible I'd like to take my fish with me. It will be a 3 day drive and I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting them there alive. Sadly I can't ship them because there isn't going to be anybody waiting there to take care of them.

I'm thinking if I buy multiple 5 gallon buckets, I can put them in the trunk and bring them with me that way, changing the water out every time I stop at a hotel for the night and using battery powered air pumps for the ride.

I'd like to bring as much tank water as possible as well to help them adjust once they go back in. The chemistry of water from the tank unfiltered for 3 days might not be amazing, but I feel like it must be better than trying to start from scratch.

If you guys have any ideas, let me know. I'd really like to bring my fish with me if possible. I have some unique species with individuals I've owned for years and it would break my heart to have to leave them behind.
>>
>>3579272
Instead of shipping them before you leave have you considered leaving them with someone for a couple days in buckets, then having them overnighted to you? Maybe an lfs would be willing to do it too
>>
>>3579267
>>
>>3579268
stop doing math for cm of fish to space, thats complete bullshit. Take a look at your ten gallon and visibly look if more fish will fit AND they will have enough room to swim. Notice i wrote SWIM, not hover in the same 2 inches of water because thats all they have room for. Get rid of the guppies and you can put the other rasboras in. Get rid of the endlers and guppies and you can put in something like darios or croaking gouramis.

Also 20% is just slowly diluting the water, eventually you will have a build of something. Every once in a while do a 50% to reset levels. Use this to dial in: hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php
>>
>>3579277
How the fuck does an electric blue murder an oscar?
>>
>>3579268

hmm, do you have a water test kit?
some top aquarists ( Cory from aquarium coop for example ) like to have many fish, and it works very well for them
you aquarium looks very healthy so as long as you can keep the nitrates low - you shold be fine in my personal opinion ( a good testkit would be nice )
but maybe there are some anons who will disagree - lets wait and see
>>
>>3579274
Hmmm, that might be a good option. I don't think there's anybody in my life who could take care of them but there are some good lfs that might be willing to send them to me. I'll do some research.
>>
Hey /aq/ I’m looking for advice. My 30L tank arrived today and I bumped it slightly when getting it out of the box. A small crack appeared at the bottom and I’m wondering if it’s possible to fix. I ordered it online and would rather not have to ship it back, especially since I’ve just moved to a new country where I don’t yet speak the language.

The crack seems to have stopped at the silicone on the bottom panel, but has gone up a side panel. Pic related. The entirety of it is 1cm. The thickness of the glass is 4mm. Thanks in advance
>>
>>3579277
This guy has a good heart
>>3578604
>1 week cycling and no nitrites yet
AHHHH I WANT PROGRESS
I want those damn pea puffers by christmas at least
>>
>>3579310
ignore lol, its nothing
>>
>>3579046
Yeah, they (serpae tetra) grew up in a tank with lots of live plants and lived to about 7 years in age. Not sure if I should retire my tank after my rainbow shark passes, got two jobs now and have less time for my animals. Hopefully she lives another couple of years. I read thy are solitary and territorial so I don't think she needs any tank mates.
>>
>>3579154
Overstocked.
>>
>>3579359
Overstock as is or with the extras?
>>
>>3579417
both
>>
>>3579154
>>3579224
Put the 10 galaxy in and see what happens
>>
So I have a 29 gallon tank. Currently I have 5 guppies (1 male, 3 females, 1 fry) aswell as 6 corydoras and 6 cardinal tetras.

I was thinking about putting in another 6 cardinal tetras, aswell as a centerpiece fish (either a frog or a fish, probably some kind of gourami)

Think it'll be overstocked?
>>
>>3577683
Angelfish are shoaling fishes, 29 gal is too small for at least 5 of them.
>>
>>3579457

this good old stock calculator is not bad:
http://aqadvisor.com/
>>
>>3577506
Very nice anon. Let's see if the plants will establish themselves.
Also, why not putting your thermometer in the back right corner of the aquarium? It will be more hidden there and you will still be able to check the temp.
>>
Favorite aquarium photos in commercial buildings/shops?
>>
Any suggestions to put in a planted cycled 10 gal betta tank with bladder snails? More fish in particular. Thanks
>>
Alright fags, I love beautiful things. I love beautiful fish and beautiful plants, and I love them being put together in a waterbox in a beautiful manner. Problem is I just had a baby and so I need things to be quickly and easily done, nothing that requires a ton of labor or is complex because I either have 30 minutes of free time with both hands at best, or Im doing it one-handed.

What is the best compromise for me for keeping fish in a visually delightful and rewarding way, but not giving myself any more work than I have to?
>>
Why are people suddenly okay with sticking discord links in the OP again?
>>
>>3578184
>>3578209
whats wrong with it?
>>
File: 20171010_222330.jpg (2.96 MB, 5312x2988)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
>>3579525
walstad tank is the only answer for you. Pic related is old walstad tank with sand cap. I never did water changes, but take keynote how little fish I have in the system. Don't be a retard and shove fish in because you can, it defeats the whole concept of a walstad tank. Minimum stocking is key to walstad method. Tank also had no heater, lights, etc. Only light source was diffused sunlight from the window and only thing plugged in was the air pump.
>>
File: Ember-Tetra-Tank.jpg (136 KB, 640x480)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>3579508
ember tetras are great
>>
File: 26b.png (39 KB, 720x644)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>3578676
>>
>>3579594
Will consider, how many should be in a school in your opinion?
>>
>>3579613
ehh I like to keep 10 minimum but in your ten gallon I would just go with 6
>>
ive been too lazy to do anything about it but its a glaring problem i have

there's some very odd growths in my 10g. When it first started showing up, I thought what I was looking at was a shrimp pellet or two that had been ignored by my bichir in favor of the mosquito larvae that keep getting in the tank. It starts off lookinh like a disintegrated bit of food that's discolored by the water but more and more of these little 'pile of sand/mush' growths kept popping up and its currently all over that tank. Moved my bichir to an unused tank only to discover it infested with limpets. What is this bullshit? Where did they even come from? Ive had this bichir for months and nothing new at all has been added since I got it.
>>
>>3579508
>>3579592
I second this. I do kind of a hybrid walstad/standard tank. 1/2 inch organic potting soil, 2 inches of cheap walmart substrate, and a cap of 1 inch fine (1-2mm) substrate. Fuckload of low light, slow growing plants, shrimps, snails, and tetras in a 20 gallon. With the soil and the very deep substrate, it is very difficult to accidentally change the ph. No water changes. A hob filter with nothing but coarse sponge in it and it has been stable for a year and a half now. I have too much livestock for a regular walstad, but the way I set it up is like a hyper walstad. The only hard part about it is getting the light level right. It takes weeks to tell if there's too much or too little light, then more weeks to see if an adjustment was good.
>>
>>3579531
>>3577349
you can always tell its a discord fag because the absolute generic edition and pictures in the OP. They literally don't keep fish.
>>
>>3579525
>>3579656
Whoops, clicked the wrong reply. For a 10 gallon Betta tank, I don't know. Mine kills everything including bladder snails. I've heard cory cats are good because they're too big for a betta to harass but I couldn't say for sure. Though they're small for cats, a 10 gallon might not be enough.
>>
>>3579637
What bichir fits in a 10 gallon?
>>
>>3579659
I wish my betta killed those fuckers (snails). I will wait and see what others say though. I like my tank, I just wish my plants would grow more, one of the plants is doing extremely well however some are just turning leaves brown and algae used to be a bigger problem but its lightening up. Using flourish exel every other day, I feel better about my tank and will post eventually maybe.
>>
>>3579293
>stop doing math for cm of fish to space, thats complete bullshit
This. Fuck the guy who invented this shit
>>
>>3579310
That's not a crack, it's a scratch.

>>3579508
Pygmy or habrosus cories.
Possibly emerald dwarf rasbora or celestial pearl danio instead, but that would depend heavily on the betta.
Also, if you don't already have some, Amano shrimp are like free bonus points to literally any aquarium (well, unless they get eaten, I guess)

>>3579539
It grows really fast and it has very, very tiny leaves, so it gets everywhere and you can never get rid of it. It's like duckweed, but worse.

>>3579661
A badly stunted one from PetSmart, probably.
>>
>>3579154
how is 55L 10g?
>>
>>3579468
It doesn't even allow a single endler in a 5 gallon. I mean, you can't go wrong if you follow it but it's way too conservative imo.
>>
>>3579794
ehh I don't blame them. Only beginners are gonna use that website and better to be conservative with beginners.
>>
>>3579744
I wish mine would let them live lol. I think it might be a female trait. I thought I had a male for a very long time, but it's just a very colorful huge bitch. Last week I put a female in my community tank and she doesn't kill the snails, but does bash them off the walls. Today I put a second female in and immediately saw snail bashing. In the beginning with my 7 gallon where my huge female is, I had a lot of trouble with algae and some plants living while others melt. What solved it was floating plants. They cut the light levels and stopped the algae but now I can only use low light or beginner level plants. Frogbit or water spangles are good. Duckweed was a mistake. If nothing's going to eat duckweed it will choke the life out of an aquarium unless you remove clumps of it daily.
>>
I'm hoping to get some tissue culture plants because I don't want snails. What plants would look good with dragon stone in a 22cm cube tank? I've got my eye on eleocharis articularis mini and s.repens. Would a red plant like ludwigia super red work as the background plant? There's no co2 in my set up.
>>
Family came home with a betta yesterday, so I had to rush out and get a tank and everything today. I got him a nice 3.5 gallon tank, some substrate, and I decided to not install a filter, and I plopped a bamboo plant in the water for him for now. What's a good cover for a little cave, and a more "bushlike" plant for the fish, as the tank is wider than tall. Pic related, its the tank I got.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>3579894
>>
>>3579661
it was a growout tank. The bichir was not even 2 inches when I bought it and could not be put into the other tank because it would hide in the sump where it could potentially swim all the way to the other side of the sump and get sushi'd getting sucked through the pump
>>
>>3579882
really depends on what light you got, so what light you got anon
>>
>>3579924
Aqualighter nano light. I am this anon>>3578654>>3578679
>>
>>3579932
ehhh your light is between low and medium. S repens might straggle in it. Stay away from dark red plants and the majority of carpeting plants. Regular ludwigia repens will work as an alternative. Other than get whatevers, check the aquatic plant data base in the OP.
>>
File: Rotala_indica_3_1200x.jpg (331 KB, 1000x1000)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
>>3579932
>>3579940
oh forgot to mention since you have a small tank look for plants with small leaves. This will help with the sense of scale tremendously. Lots of Rotalas species are easy to grow and have a great bushy orange look once trimmed to maturity
>>
>>3579940
The tropica website categorizes s. repens as an "easy" plant so that was what I was going off on. Why wouldn't it work with this light?
>>3579946
Yeah I'm looking at smaller bushier plants right now. What do you think about Hemianthus Micranthemoides?
>>
File: underwaterplantpool.jpg (74 KB, 600x400)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>3579947
>Why wouldn't it work with this light?
S repens needs some decent light without CO2. Anything under medium and it just barely stays alive. Hemianthus Micranthemoides is easy, you can def grow it. Just keep in mind the majority of pics you see of it are with highlight and/or CO2. In lower light and no CO2 it grows more like the rotala picture in last reply. Also if you havn't already pick up a bottle of ferts
>>
>>3579952
I am getting liquid fertz too. I was just concerned if Hemianthus Micranthemoides would not grow at all because some places I've read said it was not for beginners but I really like the way it looks and if it looks like the rotala pic, then I am ok with using it as a background plant.
>>
>>3579894
>>3579896
I'd seriously consider returning that tank. A 3 gallon with no filter on is gonna be a sad life for your betta. In a 3 gallon the water parameters are gonna swing widely, a 5.5 is about 15 dollars at petco and a 10 gallons about 20 dollars. You can triple the amount of space for your betta while making a much more stable environment. A air pump and sponge filter is about another 20 dollars and will never be to much flow.

So for about the same price as that tank you can get something your betta will thrive in as opposed to just living in.

Check out cichlid breeding caves, they are generally much better than something labeled as a "betta cave". All you are looking for is a little spot the betta can chill at. Does not have to complex, a terra cotta pot tipped over is more than enough.
>>
>>3579958
> it was not for beginners
ehh it is kinda iffy sometimes, if this is the FIRST time growing aquatic plants than I would skip it. I only said yah you can grow it under the assumption you have grown stuff before.
>>
>>3579973
Hmm I guess I will just stick to rotala type species for the background then. Any foreground recommendations?
>>
File: 81pLMGJQi9L._AC_SL1024_.jpg (179 KB, 1024x1024)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>3579958
>>3579973
forgot again, there's plants like rotalla green which are pretty much the same thing. This one for sure you can grow
>>
>>3579976
Is rotala green the same as rotala rotundifolia green?
>>
>>3579975
dwarf sag is by far the easiest foreground plant in existence. You can not fuck up dwarf sag. If you have the patience dwarf hair grass is really easy, it just takes a long ass time to settle in. Micro sword is kinda a mix between the two, id just get all three so you get a nice mixed carpet and the experience of growing the different plants.

>>3579979
yup same thing
>>
>>3579894
>>3579896
Cringe. This is the fate of the majority of fish sadly.
>>
>>3579983
>dwarf sag
I see this recommended by everyone but man I really hate the way it looks. I feel like it would overwhelm the hardscape and my tank is really small and I want to keep other plants too. Marsilea Hirsuta on the other hand looks a lot better. Do you have any experience with it?
>>
>>3579995
> Do you have any experience with it?
yah im this anon >>3577041

The hardest part is overcoming the transition period. It will really want to just die instead of transiting to submersed growth if there's no CO2. If you can overcome the initial transition, you have to really dial in lights and ferts because this plant will be the first thing to get algae if you fuck up. Once you get it going it'll take care of itself.
>>
File: 1598612016606.jpg (68 KB, 1062x947)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>3579999
Checked, looks like it will take a while for it to look good but damn it looks good. Thanks for the advice anon, I've got a lot of thinking to do before I buy my plants.
>>
>>3580006
good luck anon, just know you will kill plants. It's the only way to learn how to grow them. Also note in a low tech growth is fucking slowwwww. The unit of time measurement will be in months. Like "ok I changed the lighting let's now wait one month to see what it changed." "ok I upped the ferts lets see if the new leaves next month are ok now" etc, etc...

be patient anon and you'll succeed
>>
>>3580015
Got it. Thanks for the tip
>>
>>3580019
>>
File: AquStockImage.png (16 KB, 550x90)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>3579468
>minimum tank size for a pleco is 7 feet long and 200 gallons
>>
>>3580048
Correct. The common pleco should not be owned by the average person.
>>
>>3579894
>>3579896
Why did you get that tank instead of the Top Fin Essentials 10 gallon kit that comes with a heater? It's not that big of a difference in price. If exchanging it isn't an option, at least get a small heater.

Also, lucky bamboo needs its leaves above the water. It isn't a proper aquatic plant. You're better off putting the bamboo in a cup on your windowsill and getting some marimo and Anubias for the Betta

>>3579967
It has a filter. How could you miss
>bettaflo FILTRATION
>>PATENT PENDING
>>
File: DSC_7209[1].jpg (2.97 MB, 4096x2304)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB JPG
>>3578774
>>3578791
>>
>>3580057
That person said he decided NOT to install a filter for some reason even though the tank came with a filter. See >>3579894
> I got him a nice 3.5 gallon tank, some substrate, and I decided to not install a filter, and I plopped a bamboo plant in
>>
File: 1605806913372.gif (920 KB, 446x374)
920 KB
920 KB GIF
>ordered plants, tank and hardscape online
>hardscape arriving late
>plants are arriving early
I CAN'T PLANT THE TANK WITHOUT THE HARDSCAPE SOMEBODY HELP ME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAT DO I DO WITH THE PLANTS
>>
>>3579324
That’s a relief. Thank you. I was looking on other sites about similar situations and people were freaking out.
>>3579787
I hope you’re right, but I don’t think it is because I bumped the very bottom of the tank, which left a very tiny dent. Sorry for the shitty pic.
I put some superglue on it and a tiny bit of clear packing tape just in case. I appreciate the answers. New to the hobby and just wanted to do the right thing
>>
>>3580065
Dont open them until you're ready to plant. They'll be fine.
>>
Is it normal for Corys to sleep upside down or something?

I keep finding my Corys upside down or sideways in the back of my tank, seemingly sleeping on the plants.

I assume they're sleeping since they look dead, but if you like tug at the plants they swim away quickly
>>
>>3580088
okay anon
>>
File: Pandas in the Mist.webm (2.98 MB, 480x852)
2.98 MB
2.98 MB WEBM
>>3580113
I've only had pandas and jullii but they generally stayed upright (or vertical). do a once over of your parameters and stuff and if nothing's broke keep monitoring. They have all sorts of oddball behaviors.
>>
>>3580136
Yeah just did a 25 % water change yesterday. Only have test tabs which I know isn't as good as test kit but ph is normal and no nitrate
>>
Ok so I heard cycling a tank with plants is bad because the ammonia present can burn new plants and mess with the transitioning process. If I already have plants in the tank, do I counter this with large water changes? What else do I have to do to get the cycle complete and ensure the plants get a smooth transition at the same time?
>>
>>3580159
Oh I already have an established tank for a month now, can I squeeze the filter juice into my planted tank to seed it, or do I need to place the sponge into the tank itself and leave it there?
>>
>have to fish out 3 out of 5 julies from Julie/Multifasciatus tank
>moving ANY rock away will cause sand to collapse and kill the shellies and/or destroy established territories
>>
>>3580113
>I keep finding my Corys upside down or sideways in the back of my tank, seemingly sleeping on the plants.
>>3580136
>they generally stayed upright (or vertical)
I love these wonderful autistic fishes
>>
>>3580159
Dont overthink it. Some aquasoils release a whole lot of ammonia at the start, plants will be fine, but before you put fish in you'll want to do regular water changes for a few weeks, otherwise plant away.
>>
>>3580187
Ok, so during this process I don't have to add in any ammonia feed, right? Since my soil does leech ammonia into the water. Is that alone enough to feed the bacteria during this period until they get established?
>>
>>3580188
Thats why you check your nitrate/nitrite levels. You want zero ammonia and a bit of nitrate at all times. once you get that stable, thats when your tank is happy. Simplest way to start is by not adding anything you dont need to the water, just see how it settles after weeks/months.
>>
>>3580164
Sponge
>>
>>3580192
I haven't actually set up the tank yet, I just have the soil right now and the rest of the stuff is coming in through the mail. I've never cycled a planted tank before so I'm confused by the process. The soil gives out ammonia, and the plants take in ammonia, so how does the bacteria survive then?
>>
>>3580167
AHHHHHHhhhhhHHHHHHHHhhhhhHHHH
>>
File: 20190607_132048.jpg (2.66 MB, 4032x3024)
2.66 MB
2.66 MB JPG
>>3580194
You feed them enough. You want the ammonia broken down and converted, the further broken down the more accessible it is. The nitrogen cycle is about finding balance between all the elements of your tank, let it take its time.
>>
>>3580060
>>3580057
>>3579967
I actually logged off and installed a filter less than five minutes after I posted. I was told by the employee at PetSmart that Bettas get irritated by flowing water... I googled it after posting and adjusted the setup as needed.

Is a heater necessary? The water hovers at 76/77 F without it, but if he needs it I will get it.
>>
>>3580252
As long as thats steady, no problem at all. If theres a chance it could drop for any reason (power outage?) then get a heater.
>>
>>3580253
okay thanks, nah I live in NY so outages are rather rare and the heating isn't dependent on electricity anyway.

Any other tips? Specific plants they like or dwelling style? He seems happy now that the filter is in, he swims from end to end a lot, seems curious about his new thank, and floats inside the bamboo whenever he's relaxing. Good signs?
>>
File: 20191017_191028.jpg (1.64 MB, 3637x2615)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>3580255
They're not too fussy. All plants are good, a variation of textures and shapes is best. Like a variety of toys to keep him entertained.

a 2nd food type for alternate feedings is always good too. freeze dried blood worms are my pick.
>>
>>3580262
thanks anon. i'm sure i looked like a retard considering my first post, but i do care for all my pets to the best of my ability and don't want anyone to think this guy is gonna be floating in a moldy shit tank. excited to learn about keeping an aquatic pet.
>>
>>3580088
>>3580130
I usually just dump them in a bucket of dechlorinated water until I'm ready.
>>
>>3580296
This
They will need light though
>>
>>3580060
>I decided to not install a filter
Huh, I somehow read every part of his post except that line.

>>3580255
They like reading on plants with broad leaves. Anubias is a top pick because it's almost impossible to kill.
Bushy stem plants for him to swim through are nice, too, but there aren't many you could grow with the light that comes on that kit.
>>
>>3580159
Ammonia is like 2% more complicated than most people thing, but also
>cycling a tank with plants is bad because the ammonia present can burn new plants
That's bullshit.
>>
File: whiteshit.jpg (2.78 MB, 4032x3024)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
Theres a fungus among-us. Do I pull this shit out and boil it?
>>
>>3580461
Either that or get some snails and see if they eat it
>>
>>3580468
Not him but I have what I think is a bacterial colony that snails won’t touch growing on my wood, should I boil that too?
>>
>>3580461
>>3580468

are you still cycling? if yes ( i think i can recognize this gravel ), then its perfectly normal
had it all over my decorations
it will disappear on its own in a week or two
>>
>>3580461
no, that's completely normal for new wood. Completely harmless and happens with every piece
>>
File: Capture.png (3 KB, 305x25)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>3580057
How could you miss
>CAPS
>>more CAPS
>>
File: 20201120_115807.jpg (3.05 MB, 4032x3024)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
>>3580520
>>3580542
Well fuck. I boiled that fucker and wiped it off really good. Also gravel swapped because I got made fun of, had to leave for work and I just left my tank in this state.
>>
File: 1396482030683.png (79 KB, 216x295)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>>3580461
>That gravel
>>
>>3580569
Your gravel looks like a lot of rotten teeth
>>
>>3580575
Brb swapping back
>>
File: 56dhfg34678ifgjhn4.jpg (90 KB, 1500x1002)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>3580569
>Well fuck.
no worries! ( it will probably come back )
but imo its really good that you care enough to do all these things
keep it up and your future fish will be happy
>>
>>3580569
>Well fuck. I boiled that fucker and wiped it off really good
well its just gonna grow back lmao. It feeds off nutrient residue of the wood. Also that gravel is much better than before. But get rid off it and get some nice sand.
>>
>>3580595
I am going to stick to gravel for now. If I get a bigger tank later on I will choose a different substrate.
>>
>the pond snails are breeding again
this is it guys, I'm going to collect them all and dump them on the local lake

thinking about leaving one in tank

thoughts?
>>
File: y566y6t.gif (964 KB, 640x348)
964 KB
964 KB GIF
>>3580595
>some nice sand

that will be hard on most plants
it requires more cleaning/vacuuming and at the same time its way harder to clean
most new fish-anons use a magnet scraper and one day they will fuck their glass with a single sand-corn trapped under that magnet

that gravel is absolutely fine!
>>
>>3580602
1: Can't many species reproduce asexually
2: Are they the same species as that native to your local lake?
>>
File: 1604275740898.png (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>3580603
>it requires more cleaning/vacuuming and at the same time its way harder to clean
no its not lmao what are you on. Go back to posting parrotfish
>>
>>3580611
>Are they the same species as that native to your local lake?
I actually don't know, but I don't think so, the snails came in a plant I bought at a pet store
>>
File: 20201120_155049.jpg (2.71 MB, 4032x2268)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
Killing two birds with one stone. Making wine and co2 injection
>>
File: h6kkfbgfw3.jpg (30 KB, 700x325)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>3580612

uhuh.. them nasty layers of detritus visible from the side through the glass - sand requires friquent cleaning
while its mostly invisible/unnoticeable with a usual 2-3mm "river gravel" even without a frequent vacuuming
every drop of poop or food is visible on sand - not so much on the gravel
a usual vacuum will suck up the sand, so you have to clamp the hose or use something to "blow" on the sand to lift the dirt and suck it in
all-in-all a bad choice for a beginner
>>
My petco dwarf gourami that I’ve had for over a year is dying of iridivirus or whatever it’s called and now I have to euthanize him :(

I’ve found an independent fish shop since, but what should I replace a gourami with? Looking for a median to large centerpiece that can be the only one of its species, any suggestions?
>>
>>3580649
Betta's are good centerpieces, just have to find a store where they keep Betta's alongside other fish as it's a sign that they're non aggressive. I love my Betta as I can keep him with everything, even shrimp, and I've never seen him nip or prod the other tank inhabitants.
>>
>>3580633
imagine being this dumb and making up such far assed conjectures.
>>
>>3580657
Yeah, the lfs has bettas in with other other fish. I have 55 g though, isn’t that too deep for a betta?
>>
File: 1598045003112.png (484 KB, 769x465)
484 KB
484 KB PNG
>>3580663
>>3580612

amazing arguments! everyone here is absolutely convinced by your radical and ingenious input
kys
>>
>>3580684
Never post that image ever again
>>
>>3579896
Kek at the tiny cardinal tetras.
I bet some people see this in the box and think it is ok to keep them in such a small aquarium. 3.5 gal is the BARE minimum for a betta, but you must be fucking retarded to keep tetras in this thing, specially 5cm tetras.
>>
>>3580686
Pretty accurate representation of the sand autist he's replying to though.
>>
>>3580684
kek exactly what I expected. You make this to easy parrot poster
>>
>>3580697
(((you)))
>>
>>3580059
Who tf is responsible for this?
>>
File: 1597242036835.jpg (29 KB, 532x502)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>3580699
>no you

time to finish your warm milk and go to sleep
>>
>>3580629
The medieval way of high tech planted tanks.
I like it.
>>
>>3580603
>sand-corn
Anon plz...you mean grain right? Dont die on me!
>>
>>3579896
>>3580057
That Essentials 10 gallon kit is on sale now for $40
>>
>>3580602
If you're going to round them all up anyway, just kill them. Crush then and feed them to the fish.
Don't risk introducing a potentially invasive species.

>>3580611
>Can't many species reproduce asexually
Yes. One will become legion

>>3580612
If you love staring at fish shit, then yeah, sand is practically zero maintenance
>>
>>3580785
>grain

yeah, thats the one! in the language im using the most, "korn" means "grain" so it all mixed up
but its understandable from the context
>>
What non-Glofish™ look best under that blue light that the Glofish tanks have on them? I know platinum betta look really nice. Any others?
>>
What is a good online retailer for bettas in the US? Daddy needs him an ayy for a 5 gallon with cherries.
>>
>>3579268
I have five tanks right now and it feel like a very reasonable number...
>>
>>3580973
marine fish
>>
>>3580409
Interesting, my shrimp soil lowers the pH of the tank, so I guess ammonia will not even be toxic in that level?
>>
>>3580569
>gravel swapped because I got made fun of
unbased
>>
how do i make a sustained violent tank? I want constant fish on fish, or crustacean, pvp. Maximum strife and suffering.
>>
Is it normal to have no nitrites after a week? Some stuff says it should only take a few days to start showing up.
I have tons of snail shit in there and a ghost shrimp I just let decompose so there should be enough ammonia
>>
>>3581130
You could try getting a bunch of hermit crabs and put no spare shells in the tank. Eventually they'll start killing for shells and you'll end up with the alpha crab
>>
>>3580059
>rocks leaning directly on glass
should've just kept them all stacked horizontally desu
>>
>>3581130
>>3581146
That seems fr*cked up.
>>
>>3580059
Sorry dude that looks terrible.
>>
>>3581130
>buy long tank
>add divider with a few small holes in the bottom
>acquire shrimp and cichlids (or some other aggressive bois)
>watch as a steady stream of shrimp enter the rancor pit
>>
>get excited about setting up a tank
>gather supplies and start thinking about fish/plant selection
>do the hardscape and get it planted
>6 months later the tank is grown in and the fish are doing well
>get bored of it
>time to start over
I do this at least twice a year, anyone else?
>>
>>3581157
I just split two hermits up from doing this because that's a big no no in my house, but that's where I got the idea lol. Hope anon isn't actually serious
>>
Are there any drawbacks to adding floating plants to a fish only aquarium? Will it mess up the existing ecosystem?
>>
>>3581179
no. only benefits in a fish only tank
>>
>>3581179
Only worry that comes to mind is making sure they don't crowd the surface to the point that plants beneath them do not receive adequate lighting.
Otherwise, they'll help soak up waste and prevent fish from evacuating life in the tank for death on the floor
>>
File: Capture.png (2 KB, 178x26)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>3581195
>>
>>3581179
I don't know man plants and fish don't really coexist with each other ever, could be potentially dangerous, like mixing ammonia and bleach.
>>
>>3581197
uh what are you on about?
what are you insinuating? yeah, floating plants are fine in a "fish-only" tank

>>3581199
I once added plants to a fish tank and ended up in the ICU for 6 weeks
>>
>>3581203
You were lucky to have escaped with your life
>>
>>3581203
kys my man.
>>
>>3581203
He was insinuating you didn't read the original comment you were responding too

t. unbiased 3rd party
>>
>>3581208
>>3581203
He is talking about a tank with no water or substrate, just fish. I dont recommend doing that, the plants need water and light to survive.
>>
>>3581216
kek
>>
File: I dont get it.jpg (6 KB, 200x200)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>3581211
>>3581213
>>3581216
Have I been played? What is going on? I've never felt so lost - am I going to be okay?
Must I prostrate my soul and lament this torturous existence?
>>
>>3581224
whatever you do don't mix fish and plants
>>
>>3581224
You were talking about "other plants."
The "fish only tank" comment implies that there are no other plants.
It's really not that hard.
>>
whats with the samefagging kek
>>
>>3581254
Yes, floating plants are fine in a "fish-only" tank how did you not get that yet?
>>
File: kilogram.gif (268 KB, 350x350)
268 KB
268 KB GIF
>>3581254
oh...
OH
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

fml, stupid brain
>>
>>3581260
No don't give in to that, he used retarded language and confused you, who the fuck says "fish only tank" to indicate they don't have other plants.
>>
>>3581265
literally everyone.
>>
>>3581266
That's fucking stupid You're fucking stupid.
>>
>>3581130
>>3581146
>>3581157
>>3581171
>>3581169
Easiest way to do this is with a tank filled with assassin snails.

The assassin snails will hunt down all the other snails and eat them and reproduce quickly. Once all the other snails are gone they will turn on each other. They will go through periods of population explosion then culling over and over.
>>
>>3581136
Very new tank? I think some of your sources are overly optimistic about how long nitrosomonas develops enough to move the dial on your testing. If you're going totally natural cycling, I'd give it two weeks for nitrosomonas then an additional three weeks for nitrobacter.
>>
>>3581274
Ah. I knew total it would take about that long for the cycle to be complete, but what I read made it seem that without nitrites the cycle hadn't even started yet.

Wasted like 5 test strips stressing about this
>>
>>3581130
>>3581273
>assassin snails
snails be snails tho - we want action, not a documentary
Here's another idea:
>setup tank with many crevices for livestock to hide in
>let shrimp colony develop
>add 5 crayfish
>watch the battle of David's versus Goliath's except this time God has abandoned his children
>>
File: 1580564690815.jpg (33 KB, 609x515)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>3581195
>>3581197
>>3581199
>>3581203
>>3581224
>>3581254
>>3581257
>>3581265
>>3581271
None of you retards know that that the anon who asked the question in the first place (me) hasn't even replied to any of you yet. Hope you enjoyed falseflagging each other you morans.
>>
>>3581283
You've never seen hermit crabs fight then. It's boring as shit.

Most inverts would be pretty boring, relatively.

If you really want hunting action, you'd probably want to go with pea puffers and shit tons of snails and cheap crabs when your budget allows.
>>
>>3581300
Jokes on you, I've been having a great time with the shitposts
>>3581302
If budget is a concern, ghost shrimp are the way to go. Too bad they're hard to breed, cus it'd be fun in a sick kind of way to see them demolished by some predatory fish out there

I guess a betta with a suitable population of daphnia or whatever suffices - while I don't have one yet, I plan one day to raise a betta on a healthy diet of live, inferior liveforms. BETTA STRONK
>>
>>3580461
>Theres a fungus
or just sap that's been rehydratred by your water coming out of the wood
>>
>>3581117
Less toxic. Lower temps and lower pH lower the toxicity, though eventually down at something like 5 and under (when water is technically sterile, so the nitrogen cycle kinda halts all together) the acid binds the ammonia as ammonium, which is totally benign. Theres some blackwater breeds of betta and a few other things that live in peat swamps with the pH of coca cola / tomato juice. It's super interesting to read up on, though probably kept academic unless you're actually keeping wild caught fish that need it.

>>3581170
I'm constantly fiddling with mine so they're always different from how I originally envisioned, but this year I've really enjoyed the glory of having all tanks that are over a year old and in the swing of things.
>>
Umm...what should i do if my tank isn't level? It's a nano 10l tank and the desk i want to put it on is not perfectly flat. It has bent downwards over time like a slight U shape. Should I find another place to put it or will it be ok for the 10l?
>>
>>3581612
Just to explain further, the corner of the tank is not touching the foam mat. There's a gap under it. This is bad even for this tank size, right? Because it means there isn't even pressure on the corners.
>>
>>3581612
>Umm...what should i do
The time it took you to type this post, you could have moved it, regardless of whether it's in danger or not.
>>
>>3581636
I already did.
>>
>>3581146
i want sustained murder though, whatever i do has to have a high enough reproductive rate to make up for the murder, and i dont want just one cannibal murdering species i want multiple species locked in war.
>>
File: fish-police.jpg (61 KB, 568x416)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>3581703
where is the fish police when you need it?
hope they will knee you one day
>>
File: IMG_20201121_132503.jpg (1.1 MB, 4640x3472)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
I've been keeping a dwarf gourami in a 10 gallon tank with two cities for about a year at this point. However, I think my gourami has dropsy with how suddenly swollen his body is, and scales pointed. He also swims slightly weird, it's been the easiest time catching him than ever before.

I put him in a hospital tank with some aquarium salts, but is there anything else I can do? I just want to reduce the swelling and hopefully get him to normal. Should I do a full water change and put the other cories in the hospital tank? They've been really chill and good so I feel bad my care isn't enough for him. I think I see two small lessions on him.

Do you think it is too late for him?
>>
>>3581741
look buddy we're all in this hobby to play god and not all of us are bitchmade peacenik hippy live and let live gods. sometimes you just need some old testament tough love.
>>
If I just want tetras in my 29 gal, how many can I put in it? Is 20 too many?
>>
>>3581703
On a hobby scale, I don't think that's possible. Best you can get is MAYBE a hunter (emphasis on singular) and prey, e.g. a single puffer and a lot of snails.
>>
>>3581752
What kind of tetras? Neons you could easily put more.
>>
>>3581756
Either Neons or Cardinals, they're basically the same size so how many do you think I would be able to stuff in it?
>>
>>3581752
http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>>
>>3581752
two, maybe 3. need at least 100gal for that many tetras.
>>
>>3581759
Cardinals are significantly larger, like 50% larger.

About two dozen cardinals or three dozen neons at least, depending on filtration and your tolerance for water changing.
>>
I recently had a leak on my aquarium and moved fish, running filter, plants and approximately 50% of the water to the new aquarium. The gravel is new.

Today I noticed that it doesn't smell too good. The filter is pretty clogged up and probably doesn't cycle very much water. On the other hand, cleaning it disrupts the bacteria.
What should I do? Shall I clean it? I don't mind the smell, just want that the fish don't get ammonia poisoning.
>>
>>3581778
Maybe adding some of the older water to some fresh water will reintroduce some of the established bacteria to the water? I don't know lol
>>
Got some pearl weed tissue culture. Unfortunately I’m super busy until monday, how should I store this until then?

Some stuff said put in in the fridge but a I’m worried that’ll kill them
>>
>>3581784
This is what I did actually. The current water is 50/50 old and new.
It was quite a mess and my filter seems to be almost completely clogged. Maybe I just carefully clean it tomorrow so it pump more water without disturbing the bacteria too much.
>>
>>3581778

reusing water doesn't help much ( if at all )
bacteria reside on the surfaces
you can clean the filter "a little", what kind of filter is it? if there is a sponge - squeeze it a little or tap against something
just dont overdo it, and repeat if necessary
if you have a testkit - monitor the ammonia etc
if not, do 50% water changes to remove any accamulated poison
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 274x184)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>3581745
why would you use salt? He's bloating because gas build up from bacteria. You should have used metronidazole to kill the bacteria in his stomach. Way to late anon, damage to organs is already done. Put him out his misery.
>>
File: P1030488 f.jpg (762 KB, 4052x2381)
762 KB
762 KB JPG
hi /aq/, does this look like fin rot?

he almost got crushed by an ornament a week or two ago... maybe he got injured or the stress made him sick... he swims poorly and just floats most of the time now

i just changed the water, thinking about dosing the tank (10 gal.) with Pimax... any suggestions?
>>
>>3581786
You dont have do anything with it, just leave it out of the sun and its fine. Fridge is only for long term storage.
>>
>>3581778
>drain water from tank into bucket
>gently clean the filter media in the tank water
>>
>>3581778
>>3581784
>>3581786
>>3581795
Agree with this guy >>3581795
The smell happens when you're halfway through the cycle, so you just started a mini-cycle.

I'd personally clean the filter.
>>
>>3581802
Its not fin rot it kinda looks like columnaris. More likely its chilodonella, but that's quite rare but it makes sense considering it's just a feeder minnow. Also pimax is a meme. Get a broadband med like seachem paraguard since you have no way of knowing exactly what it is.
>>
>>3581795
>reusing water doesn't help much ( if at all )
>bacteria reside on the surfaces
Thank you for the tips. Most of the bacteria were probably in my old aquarium gravel.
>you can clean the filter "a little", what kind of filter is it? if there is a sponge - squeeze it a little or tap against something
Sponge. Maybe I just do a small water change and clean the filter sponge it in the old water
If the smell gets worse, 50%. Sadly I don't have a test kit anymore. The aquarium has previously been running very well and stable for eight years.

>>3581808
Thank you too. It probably struggles with breaking down the plant matter that didn't survive moving. The fish seem fine so far ( one Acistrus, a handful of Tetras).
But I am cautious because very early in the hobby I had a near-catastrophe ammonia load when a massive apple snail died and took a number of shrimps with it.
>>
>>3581813
Most of them should be in the filter, but yeah. Gravel is also a vital surface for bacteria. Try to underfeed for a few weeks and do bigger, more frequent water changes. Since you don't have test kits, try to check how the smell changes - does it worsen over time? Get better?
>>
>>3581745
this nigga is about to explode
>>
>>3581745
POP
>>
>>3581817
I moved everything to the new aquarium on Wednesday and the smell appeared yesterday, didn't get worse today. I will monitor the smell and buy a test if possible.
>>
>>3581703
Some people have managed to keep South American leaf fish in a tank with a breeding guppy colony.
>>
Newbie here, you talk about smell is a tank not supposed to smell anything? Because while my tank doesn’t smell bad it does have a distinct smell, I’d describe it as pond-like
>>
>>3581809
thanks for the advice, anon.

It's from a trio of rosy minnows that that i got as a starter over a year ago... i though it might have been old age or something. In the meanwhile, I might as well try the Pimafix while I wait for the Seachem Paraguard to get it shipped.
>>
>>3581857
Pond like is fine. But it shouldn't reek or smell fishy.
>>
>>3581861
agree
>>
>>3581857
If it smells like soil or a pond you are doing things right
>>
>>3581857
Mine smells like my lawn during a rain. Like a "fresh dirt smell"
>>
>>3581889
Mine smells like pee pee poo poo.
>>
>>3581801
I never dealt with dropsy before and it was recommended to put them a salted hospital tank. He seems really active as he normally is. I think I'll see if antibiotics will help, at least it should reduce the chance for issues in the other fish.
>>
File: pandaswarm.jpg (32 KB, 480x360)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>3581935
>dropsy
On second thought post another picture, because it looks like bloat not dropsy. Dropsy is from fluid, bloat is from gas. If it dropsy there is nothing you can do, if it is bloat there is very little you can do because the organ damage. IF it is bloat, get antibiotics for gram negative, like metro or erythromycin. I specifically said metronidazole because it is particularly effective against gram negative. Your other fish aren't at risk, bloat is a symptom not a disease. Gourami has poor feeding habits, poor diet, low temps that cause indigestion, to old, swallowed something inorganic, etc, etc. Do some thinking to what might have caused it to reduce the chance for issues in other fish. (IF it is in fact bloat)

>reduce the chance for issues in other fish.
If you are implying you are going to treat the main tank just know its an antibiotic and you may very well nuke your cycle.

Good luck anon
>>
File: 20201121.jpg (322 KB, 1390x687)
322 KB
322 KB JPG
>>3577317
I dunno about beautiful, but how about a cute little baby? I need a new camera.
>>
>>3581844
You should always have test strips and an ammonia test kit on hand. It saves you from guess work.
>>
>>3581130
Betta sorority with RCS and bladder snails. The bettas will duel each other occasionally but not go all out... usually. They will grab snails and shrimps and ragdoll them like a rat dog.
>>
>>3577317
Can I cycle a tank, empty it, and transport it to a different location? After that can I refill the tank, leave it for a couple days, then introduce the fish?
>>
>>3582009
maybe, kinda, depends
Are you going to remove the substrate? Are the substrate, walls and decorations going to dry out during transport? Are you going to refill it with water that's too hot or extremely cold, or not dechlorinated?
Basically you'll be fine as long as you actually have cycled the tank properly AND you make sure the bacteria that establish themselves in the tank don't die.
I'd be careful though, best to understock the tank at first
>>
>>3582009
why bother with the tank? Just dump your filter into a bucket and take the bucket to the new tank.
>>
>>3582014
To answer your questions: idk, should I? For context, I’m a college student who has a tank at my folks place, that I want to bring to uni at the end of break. It’s about a 13 hour drive, and I’m trying to figure out logistics
>>3582020
Will that work? That’d be pretty easy
>>
>malaysian trumpet snails typically choose to mate asexually
>bladder snails on the other hand would prefer to mate sexually if it is an option
>Bladder snails are fucking next to a food pellet. Malaysian trumpet snails look at them fucking and start fucking each other.
>Counted 12 bladder snail egg sacs on one plant
>Only seen one tiny Malaysian trumpet snail so far after having 17 adults for a week but I know there is probably tons hidden under the big rock
>Still have like a month to go before I add dwarf puffers
I uh may have a few hundred by then
>>
>>3582034
Trumpet snails are a lot like assassin snails. The babies will bury themselves in the substrate and live off the small stuff down there till they are ready for scavenging.
>>
>>3582032
>Will that work? That’d be pretty easy
yah, you are trying to grow bacteria in your filter. We say cycle your tank but really you are cycling your filter. Get filter processing waste in a bucket and then you can take the filter/bucket to wherever you are setting up the tank.
>>
File: malaysian-trumpets.jpg (92 KB, 800x533)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>3582034
check at night time after the lights have gone off. That's when the snail swarm really comes out.
>>
>>3582047
Is this too big for the babies to dig through?
>>3582049
I do, I only just picked them up a few days ago
I watch them a shit ton because my mind gets a dopamine rush from seeing life thrive
>>
>>3582060
Probably not. They are drill shaped for a reason and their body is basically all muscle. They're also very tiny since they're born live.
>>
>>3582060
>I watch them a shit ton because my mind gets a dopamine rush from seeing life thrive
it really do be like that
>>
>>3582048
Ok, thanks. So I just dump the bucket water into the tank when it's all set up, and put the filter back in?
>>
>>3582070
yah pretty much, all you are doing is swapping the bucket with the tank.
>>
>>3581802
what the fuck kind of fish is this?
>>
>>3582072
Wait so the filter is running in the bucket?
>>
>>3582137
huh? what did you think I meant lol. The whole problem is taking the tank and draining it is to much work right? To make this easier, instead of cycling your filter using the tank's water volume you are using a bucket's water volume. So whatever filter you have, run on a bucket of water. Then when the cycle is complete take the whole bucket with the filter to the new place. You are taking the bucket of water with you to keep the filter from drying out in the car. At new place set up the empty tank like you would normally and then dump bucket/filter into said tank. You get what im saying anon?
>>
>>3582137
You don't need it running. Basically all he's trying to say is keep the filter and all the stuff in it, to put in the new tank, or the old tank once you get it there. I would like to add, keep some or all of the substrate as well. Just keep it all wet and not too hot or cold (basically just keep it alive) and use it to jump start your new set up. Once it's put together again, wait a day at least and check the water parameters. It should be fine, but if you find a lot of ammonia, change the water and wait another day.
>>
>>3582143
>You don't need it running
yes he does lmao, he has no cycle at all.
>>
>>3582141
I thought you meant that I’d cycle the tank, and then just soak the filter in a bucket for transport, just doing the bucket makes sense though
>>
File: Goby.jpg (67 KB, 500x479)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>3582157
alright cool, good luck bro
>>
New thread

>>3582159
>>3582159
>>3582159
>>
File: TAMANHO MINIMO.webm (2.78 MB, 520x360)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB WEBM
Just so we don't break the streak of threads with this webm.
>>
>>3582163
thanks bro, this way I can get an actual fish in the tank soon after going back to school
>>
>>3581968
nigga you needed a new camera like ten years ago. Sick ass süsswassertang tho bro
>>
>>3581130
Isn't a multies tank this but without death?
>>
>>3582032
For that long of a drive I'd recommend submerging the cycled filter media in a bucket and using a battery powered air pump during the drive (or I suppose just plug an air pump into an outlet in your car)
>>
>>3581130
Let me point you towards the snake keeping hobby It's seems more your thing
>>
>>3581130
buy a steady stream of flowerhorns
>>
>>3581980
>You should always have test strips and an ammonia test kit on hand. It saves you from guess work.
Agree. It sucks learning this the hard way. The fish are still fine and I cleaned the filter a few minutes ago. Basically no flow, it was completely clogged up.
>>
>>3577472
lol
>>
>>3577506
get some loaches breh
>>
>>3578676
very clean, like the painting on top too
>>
>>3578683
fuck those shrimp killing niggers
>>3578694
whats in there?
>>
>>3579894
guppy grass in the short term, other live plants are great

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.