[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: dt5htn.png (1.09 MB, 900x1162)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
What cryptids do you think are most likely to be real animals? Mine is pic related.
>>
>>3441115
The existence of a species of great ape in America is highly unlikely, OP
>>
>>3441115
>Be austrian
>talk to neighbour like always
>he told me about an afghani immigrant he met in town once
>fluent in austrian
>no brothers
>no criminal record
>no afghanian vacation
To this day im still searching alleged creature. Will update once i find said cryptid
>>
>>3441139
why?
>>
>>3441139
Unlikely but not impossible
>>
>>3441115
the mapinguari is actually an extant giant ground sloth.
>supposed to look like a big bear
>covered in fur
>"human-like" features
>similar footprints to a human's
>lives in a dense, unexplored jungle
i could go on.
>>
>>3441115
>>3441207 this and
>the Agogwe
>the Yeti
https://youtu.be/Ge3p6QmdB6E
>the Orang Pendek
>the Queensland tiger
>>
>>3441201
unlikely, almost certainly not real, highly highly improbable, 99.999% chance of not existing
>>
>>3441158
>fossil evidence doesn't support it
>natural range of great apes doesn't support it
>no evident food sources for a great ape in North America like there are in Asia and Africa
>ancestors would have had to cross the Bering Strait around the same time humans and some other fauna did, yet no evidence of any accounts or fossils of this event in Northern Asia or Alaska
>Native accounts are pretty much identical to stories of giants in other cultures around the world and in some areas are literally just boogeymen to tell in children's stories
>>
>>3441237
>fossil evidence doesn't support it
what fossil evidence lmao. the great ape fossil records are extremely limited
>>
>>3441115
None, you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>3441257
The fossil record in North America is better. And unsurprisingly, there are no signs of great apes that aren’t humans anywhere in North or South America.
>>
>>3441280
Okapi, gorilla, giant bat and so much more found out to be true,
>>
>>3441139
there's 350 million of them though
>>
>>3441115
nothing cryptic about bears, anon
>>
>>3441291
sick burn breh
>>
File: yet.png (897 KB, 1200x715)
897 KB
897 KB PNG
>>3441115
I feel like the Himalayan Yeti is far more likely to exist than the north american bigfoot
>fossil record supports huge apes living in mainland asia
>footprints are closer to what you'd expect a non-human, ground dwelling primate to look like (pic related, alleged yeti print next to the foot of a mountain gorilla)
>food sources plentiful, numerous fertile valleys between mountain ranges in the region. Crypozoologists attest that these areas are the yetis actual habitats, and they're just most often spotted crossing mountains between them because thats where they're easy to see against the snow

It's possible they're not even obligatorily bipedal, it's just easier for them to walk through snow on two legs than all fours.
>>
>>3441201
Dude it's like 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% impossible. If a new great ape species were suddenly discovered it would be the least likely thing to have happened in world history, and if it happened in North America it'd be even less likely. The evidence for the existence of bigfoot like creatures is zero. No bones, no unexplained nesting sites, no reliable eyewitness accounts, no reliable video or pictures. It's virtually impossible that a large ape species could live undetected in North America for hundreds of years.
>>
>>3441289
That was over 100 years ago when so much of the globe was still unexplored by Europeans. It wasn't even like gorillas were unknown by locals at the time.
>>
>>3441491
>It wasn't even like gorillas were unknown by locals at the time.
Ask any nepali about the yeti. Or any vietnamese about Orang Pendek.
>>
>>3441291
47 million anon
>>
>>3441214
>yetis are manlets
jej
>>
I think the Olgoi-khorkhoi might be a real creature.
I don't think it can spit poison and kill people instantly, might not even be a worm. Theres something out there in the desert that it was based off, probably a new species of snake
>>
>>3441545
I think orang pendek is extinct, most likely just cultural memory of h. florensiensis. Oral traditions still telling stories about little hairy men in the woods
>>
>>3441115
Aliens and not the gray kind. There's more than one ice ball in the solar system that I have every reason to believe has life like the deepest parts of our oceans.
>>
>>3441431
If it waren't so fucking cold there I'd try hunting for evidence of one
>>
>>3441431
Isn't this supposed to be the Himalayan Brown Bear?
>>
>>3442161
Bear prints don't look like that
>>
>>3442012
>I think orang pendek is extinct, most likely just cultural memory of h. florensiensis. Oral traditions still telling stories about little hairy men in the woods
There are reports of uncontacted pygmy peoples from a few years back in East Java (still part of Indonesia). Now admittedly that area is several thousand miles away from where Orang Pendek supposedly live, so it's probably just something unrelated, but I thought it is kind of interesting.
>>
>>3442168
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TGhLWf5W3s&feature=emb_title
Was this proven to be a hoax or is it still unconfirmed?
>>
>>3442169
First time I actually saw this one. The "creature" in that video seems to be running like a human. The video uploader claimed that its probably some indigenous tribe or black magic practitioner in the video description (the Indonesian part). It also said that the location of the footage shall be kept as secret, which sounds a bit odd. I think its probably just a normal naked human.
>>
>>3442169
That looks incredibly fake, but it's almost impossible to 100% prove that something doesn't exist.

Like this terrifying motherfucker: https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/J%27ba_FoFi
>>
File: dsafhaskdjfhakljsdhf.jpg (643 KB, 1274x704)
643 KB
643 KB JPG
>>3441115
BIG
FOOT
EXISTS
>>
>>3441431
I agree that there's more evidence that the Himalayan Yeti could exist, for some of the main reasons you've suggested. It could be an offshoot from the orangutan evolutionary lineage, since they basically migrated from Turkey to where they are today in the Indonesian archipelago.
>>
>>3442163
To his credit, the bear backfoot has a somewhat similar shape.
>>
>>3441145
Kek but >>>/pol/
>>3441139
Could be a bear
>>3441491
There could be lots of animals to go extinct in a hundred years, especially huge ones that are already extra scarce to begin with.
>>
>>3441115
>What cryptids do you think are most likely to be real animals?

I think the Mokele-Mbembe, that Brontosaurus in the Congo, is probably a real animal.
I realize all the natives could just be tricking foreigners, but they were right about half a dozen other animals. That and they've found tracks of the creature in the mud.

>>3442169
>>3442168

I could see that being real.
With cryptids/animals they're always the issue that 'they' don't know they're supposed to be hiding, so you have to constantly ask "why haven't we found this animal yet despite looking so hard?" But with an actual race of people- they could consciously avoid detection.
>>
>>3441115
Everyone shits on Bigfoot because “muh skeletons” “muh fossils” “muh remains,” but show them all the physical evidence of the red haired giants or pre-columbian NW caucasians in general and they immediately dismiss it.

The giants were real, look up “Paracas Skulls”
>>
>>3443317
>Paracas Skulls
They wrapped their heads with fabric to elongate them.
>>
>>3443317
I don't think I even believe in any cryptids but 'not in the fossil record' is a non-argument. There are millions of species alive today, and by current estimations, they make up less that 1% of all species to ever exist.

Meanwhile we have like 200,000 identified species in the fossil record. Thats a shitload of species unaccounted for. Most things just don't fossilize, it takes a number of factors to come together for a dead animal to leave fossils, as such fossil beds are snapshots of a single region at a very specific timeframe.
>>
>>3442169
Isn't that just a normal naked person?
>>
>>3443436
I don't know about it being normal based on size but maybe, it's part of a tribe we don't know of or something if it's real though
>>
>>3443278
>likely
>a fucking dinosaur
>>
>>3443278
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokele-mbembe
>In 2001, BBC broadcast in the TV series Congo a collective interview with a group of BiAka pygmies, who identified the mokele mbembe as a rhinoceros while looking at an illustrated manual of wildlife.[12] Neither species of African rhinoceros is common in the Congo Basin, and the Mokèlé-mbèmbé may be a mixture of mythology and folk memory from a time when rhinoceroses were found in the area.
I'd say it's either misunderstanding by Western explorers or just simply the natives tricking them so they can get more bucks from tourism. Can't blame them, I am pretty sure the Americans and Scots manage to turn bigfoot and nessie hunting a popular tourist/exploration business.
>>
>>3441257
Because they live in jungles. The mammoth steppe and the American great plains are great fossil grounds instead.
>>
>>3441145
Those don't exist and you know that
>>
File: Mothmanof.png (2.29 MB, 1130x1613)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB PNG
Which of these cryptids do you love the most?
>Mothman
>Mothman
>Mothman
>>
>>3441115
>Mid-tarsal break bipedal ape with human nose
>Anything more than an evolutionary impossibility
>>
>>3441237
Giants and trolls were real.
>>
I don't believe in dumb shit like bigfoot or mothman because I'm not retarded, but that being said I am very curious about what kind of crazy creatures there are living in places like the rainforest. There are definitely a ton animals we've never seen before living in there.
>>
File: 1411521527998.jpg (235 KB, 1000x651)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>3441115
I tend to dismiss most land cryptids outright, but I could totally believe there are large sea serpent, whale, or squid species that we haven't encountered yet.
>>
>>3443325
>he doesn’t know about them only having two cranial plates and a measured greater skull capacity than an anatomically modern human
Regards of whether or not their skull-shape was inflicted or heritable, they were still redheaded caucasians, which is an anomaly in its own right.
>>
>>3443714
https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/dota2_gamepedia/7/73/Vo_oracle_orac_purifyingflames_05.mp3
>>
>>3443278
Mokele is one of these weird stories. Bo records of it exists before the 1900s, and the locals admitted that they heard the legend from crazy westerners.
>>
File: Cgs.jpg (96 KB, 294x221)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Firm believer of this being real
>>
>>3443961
Redpill me on this
>>
>>3444115
It's an "Alleged" encounter with a giant snake in Katanga 1959

The guy's story is he was basically there in a helicopter and he sees that fucking beast down there and estimates it to be about 60 feet and that when he tried to get closer the snake rose up it's upper body preparing to bite the helicopter
The guy who took the photo died saying it was true and he was a very well respected man

Col. Remy van Lierde is the name of the guy who took the photo, look him up he was an admirable man
>>
>>3444135
Read up a bit on this guy. It’s an interesting story nonetheless. I wonder if that big snake is still out there, eating elephants and shit.

Thanks anon, I’ll keep looking into mega snake.
>>
>>3443898
The giant squid was considered a myth for hundreds of years until some Scandinavians finally got physical evidence in the 1800s.
>>
>>3443757
>bro what's convergent evolution?
>>
>>3443826
Icelander opinions are disregarded.
>>
>>3441115
Bigfoot.
>>
>>3441139
were a great ape though?
>>
>>3441207
This. I'm sure there's a species of giant sloth in south america. Probably not like, megafauna size anymore, but the size of a bear perhaps. Possibly eastern US as well. Deep in the mountains, easily mistaken for a bear.
>>
>>3444164
Evolution doesn’t work like that, anon. You can’t just use “convergent evolution” as a magical formula to dismiss real science. Read up on phylogenetic bracketing.
An in-line big toe evolved exactly once in great apes, namely the Australopithecines, which had a mid-tarsal break like all other great apes outside the genus Homo. A human nose evolved exactly once in great apes, namely in the genus Homo, along with the loss of a mid-tarsal break.
Therefore, you cannot have a great ape possessing a mid-tarsal break and a human nose in the very narrow window of time that Australopithecines and Homo have existed.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.