[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I constantly daydream and have imaginary conversations. This started off during the le coof lockdowns and it progressively became a deeply ingrained habit. It’s ruining my mind. I can’t hold down a thought without drifting off into some abstract reality where I’m not a pathetic person with no skills. I can’t think. Feel like an actual NPC. Going insane.
Is anyone else suffering from having imaginary conversations? If so, did you find a cure?
>inb4 go outside
I do, but I keep daydreaming even outside.
Pic rel describes the problem is detail
>>
You're ADD as fuck. Live with it senpai.
>>
>>28195161
What does this mean.
I don’t want to “just live”
I want to succeed
>>
>>28195151
That image is so like my reality right now it's genuinely scary
>>
>>28195151
Picrel is LITERALLY ME.
>>
>>28195675
>>28195828
same, i consistently neglect my own life because i am so preoccupied with introspection and rumination, how do we fix this? stimulants?
>>
>>28196629
Idk how open you are to this but we could start messaging each other about our problems through threads and become consciously aware of it? Talking about it seems to make it go away because your brain isn't focusing on the day dreaming. What do you fantasise about? Almost every hour I find myself drifting off into fantasies of being back in high school with everything I know now and thinking of all the different pathways or interests I could have pursued. I fantasise about making surprising teachers and friends with knowledge and skills that have taken me years to hone. I also fantasise about talking to people I see on instagram and them being interested in me, and past sexual partners coming back into my life. Almost all of my fantasies take place in past situations from years ago, imagining myself in them, but imagining myself as not being a loser in them like I was in my teens. I hope we can talk about all this shit more and get to the bottom of it
>>
File: 1651042385729.gif (2.86 MB, 840x712)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB GIF
>>28195151
Been doing this for 20+ years.
I don't know if there's a cure. Nothing really worked.
>>
>>28196648
Not OP, but I've been fantasizing about the exact same things, especially going back to the past and exceling at absolutely everything and getting back together with past lovers. Well, with one past lover specifically. We called things off recently, and I'm super into her, so I spend a good portion of the day coming up with scenarios where she comes back to me and whatnot.
>>
>>28196917
It really sucks. The excelling in everything in the past is the one that plagues me the most as well, I wish I could just turn it off. I always fantasise about running into my ex girlfriend on the train too, or thinking of some excuse to see her but it's been 2 years since we last spoke.

To get more specific, what parts of your past life do you fantasise about excelling in? Academically? Being a popular kid in high school? I wonder if those fantasies are the same as mine
>>
Bumping for interest.

>>28197012
Not him but the latter. Or, you know, about *her*.
>>
>>28195151
>>28196863
Talk to people. Talk to people often. Talk to people you care about. Talk to people about things you care about, and need to actively attend to. Talk to people about your duties, obligations and commitments. That's the only way to get out of your head, barring the more bizarre and unorthodox solutions.
GO. FUCK. GO, DO IT.
>>
>>28200858
>Talk to people you care about

I don't care about anybody because there isn't anyone in my life to care about
>>
hello as an armchair neurologist i declare you have schizoid personality disorder.
solution? be uncomfortable in situations
>>
File: FlLCpltWYAIXtDg.png (330 KB, 446x514)
330 KB
330 KB PNG
>>28195151
>tfw it's "Imagine you're singing karaoke in front of former school friends, youtubers, and celebrities" time again
>>
>>28195151
Didn’t read your post but jesus christ that pic is literally me
>>
File: 1651716062737.gif (363 KB, 540x300)
363 KB
363 KB GIF
>>28200858
>talking to someone I love and care about
>daydreams keep intruding
>>
It's a terrible curse. I'm too tired and confused to even bother writing about it. If you know, you know.
>>
File: 1640237386052.jpg (239 KB, 1920x1080)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
If you're like me, your daydreams are about wish fulfillment. You always want to be The Guy in situations because you rarely get to feel like the center of attention in real life (or at least not as often as you'd like)
What you need to realize is that the world is made up of millions of people who aren't The One, that somewhere along the last 20 years culture has shifted our heroes into singular entities that "make a difference," and that you can be "heroic" just by living life as best and comfortably as the day calls for.
You don't have to be on Conan to be fulfilled, getting your house in order is a lot more impressive
>>
Thinking isn't the problem. Lack of drive and purpose is. When I was a student in school and when I wirked a shitty part-time job, I was constantly lost in my own world.

When I began to work a job where other people depended on my ability to think k that will allow you to change your surroundings. Channel your thoughts to actually changing your surroundings, instead of just imaginging things to be different.
>>
>>28202395
Perhaps you should read the text, it goes along with the image
>>
>>28195151
OP here.
The reason why I’m so worried is due to me recently reading “Rational Recovery”. The basic premise of the book is that the primal part of your brain hijacks your neocortex and makes you desire things like alchohol. “I kinda want a drink right now” and other thoughts like that come from the primitive monkey part of your brain. You can recognise this voice and just ignore it, since it has no power.
The problem is, I can’t recognise the voice since I don’t think like that. I just think in occupying my brain with random daydreams, and then just acting on my bad habits on auto pilot, not even thinking about it. I can’t really recognise this “Addictive voice” if I’m a barely conscious NPC.
Maybe this will provide more context, maybe other people feel the same way
>>
>>28195151
your brain is just broken nothing you can do to fix it unfortunately.
>>
File: 1673614166004.png (73 KB, 600x338)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>28204615
I do.
>>
I don't see the problem with talking to yourself. Fantasizing is bad and you should avoid the temptation. Maybe when you start fantasizing you should talk to yourself about why fantasizing is bad.
>>
>>28205459
>implying I don't talk to imaginary psychologists about it all the time
They don't even bother to give me advice most of the time.
>>
>>28205418
If you don’t have anything to say, don’t bother replying to the post
>>
>>28195151
kek literally me
>>
Venezuelanfag here, this happens to me everyday. I probably spend 2-3 hrs a day daydreaming, on the bed (while not asleep, obviously), at college, in the bus or even while walking on the street (this is ridiculously dangerous given my shithole country).

In the last 3 years this shit has decreased my my focus capacity considerably, but somehow I managed to improve my life (learning to code, reading a lot of classics, getting fit, writing a shitty novel). Sorry to tell you but improving your life wont help, I keep thinking about future scenarios that probably won't happen.

The only workaround is to use that thinking capacity in something useful, like writing or a least simulate possible scenarios, so you don't face them unprepared, this, unironically has even improved my public speaking kek
>>
>>28204615
I wish I disn't but I do.
A life unlived.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.