[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm on a forced one week vacation right now and I legitimately want to fucking kill myself, I just want to go back to work.
>>
>>27788945
>I'm on a forced one week vacation right now and I legitimately want to fucking kill myself.
>>
>>27788949
Yeah and?
Being a NEET would make me want to kill myself, working makes me happy.
>>
>>27788945
The number one killer of workers is stress, constant work increases the fatality rate for it.
>>
then do that. if it works for you good. for most people it doesn't work. they'd rather do something they actually enjoy and bring meaning to their life instead of making a company richer than it already is.
>>
>>27788945
It's good as long as you don't push that extreme ideology to other people.
>I want to be at work all the time.
Should not turn into
>Everyone should work as much as me
or even
>They don't work as hard as me, therefore they are inferior.
>>
>>27788959
I like the stress though, I have no problem working 80+ hours a week.
>>27788961
It makes me richer too so I don't really see it that way.
>>27788962
Fair point, I don't do either of those things.
>>
>>27788969
what job do you actually do that you are getting so rich?
>>
I got into a huge high paying top tier tech company around age 22 out of a mediocre college and brief mediocre first job. I wanted to prove myself and worked 12 hours a day 6 days a week for a year and got promoted almost instantly and a pay raise that put me into seasoned and specialized doctor’s salary before 23. And then Covid happened, and things slowed down. Nobody saw how hard I worked. Nobody cared because the world was lonely. I started sleeping with random women and pushing them away to get back to work. And then I hit a burn out phase that I only recovered from less than 6 months ago. For the entirety of 2 years remote work under Covid I did less work total than I did in 2 months pre Covid. Completely useless, disillusioned. And only because I worked so hard at first, I was given second, third, fourth, fifth chances where my performance reviews were stellar despite no work done. Eventually it caught up to me but i found a new team internally I like a lot more and get to do the work I like. I’m not back to a workaholic pace, but I have some days I get 12 hours of work done, and some days 6.

I was lucky. I saw so many other people, some from amazing schools, get managed out during this period because we all were workaholics together but I was the only survivor. I have no idea why I was spared and they weren’t.

Being a workaholic is fine if it’s towards some end, like building a palace on a remote mountain to live in, or writing a novel, or running your own startup that has a real chance to change the world. Writing lines of code 24/7 for a company that will lay you off if your business unit isn’t considered core will probably make you suicidal.

I know you won’t take my advice to slow down because I had old men telling me the same thing and I still didn’t listen. You’ll tell someone else what I’m telling you in a few years, though.
>>
>>27788969
It doesn't matter if you like it, people ignore warning signs all the time if it helps them cope and continue as usual. You might as well view it as a positive:
>If i allow myself to relax, i can work hard longer and continue feeling good about it for longer than i would have otherwise.
>>
>>27788976
I work in Private Equity, did investment banking for two years.
>>27788980
I'm pretty protected from economic fallouts. I see where you're coming from. I did two years of investment banking and no burnout yet so we'll see how long I can keep this going for.
>>27788993
It's not like I don't relax, I like going out for a motorcycle ride on Saturday for 2 or so hours...
>>
>>27789011
you probably have an above average salary which is why you are more motivated than most people. now imagine making 1/4th of what you currently make and I wonder if you'd have the same enthusiasm for work.
>>
>>27789011
I’m the tech guy you replied to. You are a workaholic but it makes more sense for you, since not being one means exiting IB, especially high end front office stuff like M and A. Private Equity is just the next level up. I assume based on all this that workaholism isn’t new to you and you attended a top 10 if not top 5 school, and have worked hard and relentlessly since high school. IB mostly hires from that pool, and PE hires the top workers and pedigrees from IB.

If that’s all a correct, I assume you clear at least half a million a year in your 20s, or more, which is worth the hard work. You’re also so used to hard work for so long that you don’t understand how to relax, much like a lazy bum wouldn’t suddenly know how to handle working a 996 position. So I think you made this thread to get responses you knew you were going to ignore, so that you could talk about working in private equity, and impress some strangers online. Which is exactly what I’d expect someone your age and field to do. Your work and more so your status and newfound wealth is all that’s about you, you’re not even Patrick Bateman, you’re Paul Allen. I do wish the best for you but I probably won’t have to. You’re either very happy and rich or have lots of internal conflict and are rich. I’m sure you’ll either work this field until you’re 60 and a CEO of a F500 company, or you’ll tell yourself twice a year you’ll take up the piano and learn jazz and then hit 60 as a senior partner and wonder where the time went.

Either way, you do you, but this is an advice board. If you wanted to be jerked off, there are meetup threads for your state in /soc/ where you can find a beautiful hairy daddy.
>>
>>27789035
I would probably work hard enough to not be in that position.
>>27789037
What an utterly jaded, cynical response. I came on here to get the opinion of different people.
And yes I clear nearly half a million a year.
>>
>>27789074
> What an utterly jaded, cynical response. I came on here to get the opinion of different people.
You know it isn’t, and you know you didn’t. You’ve revealed very quickly that you posted a rhetorical question with the intent to reveal your success and get some sort of laudatory response. You’re an ex-banker, you’re very predictable. If you do want advice, it’s nothing you asked for and it’s nothing you’ll like: find someone else about your life that you can be proud about, because right now your life is money and being in a nice office.
>>
>>27788945
As a lazy person who doesn't have amy confidence or enjoyment from work, what drives you to be a workaholic?
>>
>>27789097
Again a jaded response. I'll change the tune, what are you proud of?
>>27789158
I grew up dirt poor and watched my dad rip himself in half to get ahead. I never want to worry about money ever.
>>
>>27789187
> Again a jaded response. I'll change the tune, what are you proud of?
I’m proud of my activities outside of work and a lot of my personal growth since my phase of workaholism and subsequent burnout. I killed most of my insecurities, I grew up a bit, I learned a lot. I got to finally learn some things I dabbled with as a kid, like Ancient Greek language and literature. I’ve become proud of my better understanding of the world, my limitations, my gifts, and in general am proud that I no longer live in tunnel vision. I have a long way to go but I do feel like a more complete person these days. It’s a sort of feeling that is fully ineffable but I think is probably widely felt by people who have faced and conquered demons.
>>
>>27789187
Man I wish I had that sort of motivation, I just want enough to survive. Can live off $40k without a car. Have you always been a hard worker? Was your dad a hard worker? Would you still be a workaholic if you just had a single mother?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.