[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

I have a feeling that I'm on the outs at my job. On one hand, the thought of getting laid off scares me. On the other hand, I absolutely hate this job. I'm completely burnt out and constantly anxious and on edge. I've always left jobs voluntarily. Have any of you been laid off or terminated before? How did you manage it and how are you doing now?
>>
>>27363602
This picture makes me so fucking mad
>>
>>27363649
He's living his best life, one filled with delusion
>>
>>27363979
topkek.
>>
>>27363602
Yeah and it took me some years but I bounced back now and have a new job I like so far with much better pay than the one that let me go. Best advice I wish Id followed back then: put your 2 weeks in now before they fire you if you think they aren't happy with your performance fuck em they dont deserve it then. You could easily get a job in sales or anything at all. The job market is chaotic at the moment and everyone is desperate to hire going into winter season. Sure its might be a month before you get call backs from jobs you applied to but trust me patience is key and if youre desperate for money even getting temporary employment as say a solar panel salesman is quick and easy enough and you can still apply for jobs until one fits you. Nothing lasts and you owe no loyalty except to yourself and those who love you as you love them.
>>
>>27363602
I was let go of one or two jobs as a teenager and big deal but I was let go at one job I worked at for 10 years and I spiralled into NEETdom and depression for years afterwards.
I came back from it though, I learned not to settle for "comfort" of working a shit job I hate that I can do half-assed with my eyes closed. I also learned that just because a business or company is smaller or local doesn't mean that that they're good people and that big global businesses are automatically evil and greedy

>On the other hand, I absolutely hate this job. I'm completely burnt out and constantly anxious and on edge.
exactly, I was in the same spot. Quit before they can fire you.
>>
File: 1428985234376.jpg (19 KB, 618x416)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>27363979
>>
If getting fired is the most "traumatic" thing you've ever experienced, you've led a pampered life.
>>
>>27364742
it depends on how long you work somewhere and how much you invest yourself in it, emotionally speaking

a 20 year old getting fired from mcdonalds isn't gonna have the same weight as a 60 year old getting fired from a company he's worked at for 30 years.
>>
>>27363602
Whatever happens, try not to have to bounce back. Always have a plan b in the works
>>
>>27364714
>>27364682
Thanks guys. Think I'm gonna update my resume and start sending out applications, try to leave before they shitcan me. They are basically trying to force me out I feel. I have double the amount of work I should have, I get zero feedback, my manager goes the entire week without even sending me an IM.
>>27364742
Never said it was the most traumatic thing that could happen to me, but I've never been terminated or laid off. I make a little under 90k and have searched job boards and really can't find anything I'm qualified for that pays that much. So it feels like a massive failure on my end to lose this job and be forced to take a paycut elsewhere.
>>27364811
I'm 31 and have worked here for a little over 3 years. It's a great company with great benefits, but I took a promotion last year and simply can't handle the new workload. The extra 20k/yr definitely wasn't worth it. My old position was super easy and stress-free. Now I just constantly have a sinking feeling in my chest and pit in my stomach. Really sucks.
>>
>>27363602
I got laid off from my first post grad job about 6 months ago and I’m only just now starting to bounce back. The circumstances in which I was let go were pretty scummy and it was hard to talk through it in any interviews I had. I got pretty depressed for a while even though my old job was pretty shitty. Try to get ahead of them firing you. Update your resume, send it out to any openings you can, take all the PTO you have left and put in your two weeks as soon as you get back.
>>
>>27363649
Why? He's literally joking.
>>
>>27363602
I have, yes. I was fired from a job in a well-known firm after about 8 months there, as a business consultant. I then struggled to find any work at all for 6 months and ended up teaching English abroad as a backup. A whole 2 years goes by of teaching and then I decide I want to try to get back into my old career. So I moved back to the states and started cold-emailing people at major consulting firms. 6 months of this goes by and finally I start to get some interviews. After about 10 interviews and months of practicing, I had become a pretty excellent interviewer and was finally hired again.

Now nearly 3 years into this new consulting job I am at the biggest competitor for the firm that originally fired me and manage a team of people. I still hate the person that originally fired me because I know that he refused to teach me anything and never really gave me a chance. Now when I hire people out of university I compare myself to that old shitty manager I had and try to be better than him.
>>
>>27365360
The 8 months and 6 month gaps without a job I described here were absolute hell, by the way. Do not quit your job unless you have another lined up, because the stress of needing to find one like I had is awful and I never want to experience it again.

I have solace now knowing that even if I were fired, I have years of experience under my belt, including management experience, and I could talk my way into a decent position again fairly easily, but fresh out of college I didn't know shit and it was much worse.
>>
>>27363602
>Have any of you been laid off or terminated before?
I've been laid off 3 years ago. It really sucks because it happened just when I started to have some stability in my life. I'm still a NEET loser haha life sucks
>>
A small bit of advice. Never get too comfortable with your life. Just when everything is the best, some asshole comes along and changes things. Not for the best of those around them, but to assert their power over you. Having a back up plan is always good, especially in such a volatile economy. Things aren't getting any better any time soon.
>>
Just once
>some shitty warehouse job
>been there two weeks, it fucking blows ass and I hate every minute of it
>show up one day start working
>boss walks up to me after about an hour and hands me an envelope
>"this is the last paycheck you'll receive at this company bla bla bla"
>say "ok"
>dump all work shit on the floor
>walk away get my stuff and leave

The end
>>
>>27365034
>Now I just constantly have a sinking feeling in my chest and pit in my stomach. Really sucks.

I've been there. A paycut actually is worth it sometimes. Stress is HORRIBLE for your body. What's the point of making more money if you're constantly exhausted, in a terrible mood, and at risk of having a heart attack when you get older? Get a job where you can pay your bills and be comfy
>>
>>27365375
Yeah. I could probably get another job in my industry pretty quickly. Might not pay as much though. Also I have over 200k saved but the thought of eating into my savings makes me sick.
>>
>>27365725
Oh NVM. Rich cocksucking faggot hope you get fired
>>
>>27363602
im 25 and i have literally never had a job. the idea of even trying scares the living shit out of me. probably because i was homeschooled.
>>
I got laid off a bit ago but they forgot to have me clean up the huge mess of tools because I was halfway through working on some stuff.

If I were you I would be sending out applications ASAP and halt all excess spending. Gather your personal stuff and keep as little at work as possible.
>>
>>27363602
I got laid off three years ago and basically had a nervous breakdown at the time. It was hard finding another job. But at the end of the day, I'm way happier at my new job and I'm now thankful that that shitty company let me go. It was pretty nice collecting unemployment and doing nothing for a while. I definitely started to get anxious and antsy interviewing for jobs and getting nothing. But everything worked out eventually.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.