[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I used cartridge razors most of my life and always got razor bumps and ingrown hairs from them. So recently switched to a double-edged safety razor (the same model as pic related) to try to get a better shave.
Now every time I shave my neck bleeds all over. Not talking about an actual nick, but lots of miniscule cuts that each yield a single drop of blood. Like my skin has been used as a pin cushion.
So instead of razor bumps I now have hundreds of little red marks where I cut myself. Does anyone know how to prevent this?
>>
>>26448004

Lose weight?
>>
>>26448004
Gentle blade movement, deliberate in direction, avoid pressing and skewed movements. I put soap on my face to help the blade glide better, and it saves money in one less product to buy. If it drags, watch for worn or damaged edges on your blade.
>>
>>26448017
My BMI is about 26 and my face isn't pudgy at all, so don't think it's that.
>>26448029
What are skewed movements?
>>
>>26448004
hot water on face, plenty of shaving soap/foam, do single passes and then wipe the blade
pull your skin so it's flat when you go over it, don't shave places that have no foam on it and don't be afraid to make weird faces when shaving
>t. shaves with a safety razor since got the first `stache
>>
>>26448098
>>26448029

Any lateral movements that would slice; scrape away the hairs.
>>
>>26448202
>pull your skin
Do you mean just by stretching your neck, or actually pull on it with your fingers?
>>
>>26448621
just stretch your neck, you can pull your skin down when shaving cheeks or corners of your chin
>>
>>26448004

How do you get ingrown hair man wtf? I use Mach3 gillete even sice I was like 14 and never ever have I had ingrown hair on my face or anywhere else. The only place I do get this is my fucking ass, but I'm going on laser now, so its gonna be full gone soon there.
>>
>>26448698
You shave what? Face? Or where do you get ingrown hair, i think its impossible to get ingrown hair on face unless its dirty.

I recommend to ease your face, relax it, make it hot and bloody, use shaving foam and then shave it, once done, flash with cold water and then tap your face with a clean brand new cloth leave it.

Never have I ever had an issue.
>>
>>26448004
Single, long passes. Don't shave against the grain unless you know what you're doing and never do dry shaving. The angl of the blade is really important and it takes practice until you don't have to think about it.
>>
Fuck that, get those cheap pink razors and toss them every week.
>>
use good blades, soap+hot water , and literally just move it slower
>>
>>26448004
>leave your shaving brush soaking on warm water
>take a hot bath or apply hot towel for 1-2 minutes
>apply shaving oil (optional)
>apply shaving soap, cream or foam (I like to use soap).
>Use the razor at around ~30ยบ angle. Do not apply presure to the face, let the weight of the razor do its thing. Cut in the direction the hair grows. And always move the razor perpendicular to the blade otherwise you will cut yourself.
>wash face
>apply after shave and/or moisturizer (optional)
>>
>>26449693
And i forgot to write it but make sure to stretch your skin
>>
>>26448004
does the blade tug and pull your hairs
>>
>>26449138
>long passes
Why long? Every shaving tutorial I've watched uses short strokes.
>>
Thanks for your help anons. About to have a shower now, so I'll let you know how it goes.
>>
>>26448004
just get a trimmer and keep a short beard, way easier to deal with
>>
>>26448004
I remember I did get some micro cuts for the first few weeks when i switched to a DE, but not as many as you're saying. Consider using a shaving soap with a brush instead of canned shit if you aren't already. For me the trick was learning to keep the same angle and pressure against the skin all the time. Keep your wrist locked and move the entire forearm instead, it should help with the angle. Also you don't need to press down as much as you do with cartridges, a light glide is enough as long as the skin is slightly stretched. Safety razors are not supposed to cut everything in one pass like in the fake ass gillette commercials, so don't be tempted to press down if it seems it's not cutting enough hair. Be patient, do multiple short passes and rinse often, lather again if there's no foam anymore. Only go with the grain until you git gud
>>
>>26453283
Doesnt do the job when you have a neckbeard you need to shave
>>
>>26453216
Doesn't make much of a difference , short strokes are better unless you got the bad habit of repeatedly shaving the same spot. Also depends on how much you are shaving off.
>>
OP here. Thanks again for your suggestions. Tried everything and I think the problem was the angle. Until today I would have sworn I was shaving at 30 degrees, but just as I started my third pass I noticed my wrist movement was turning the blade into the stroke. Concentrating on keeping the wrist action steady has eliminated most of the cuts.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.