[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1652054307207.jpg (113 KB, 994x1024)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
I have 135$ to my name. I live in the Eastern United States. I have some general supplies, such as toilet paper, some water and food. I don't have anything to help in "the wild," no tents or anything.

I'm looking for some tips, tricks, and advice to survive being homeless. What should I buy, what should I look out for, those types of things. I researched on google for awhile but a lot of the articles are copy-paste, vague and broad tips that seem like common sense. I'm looking for something a little more specific. Thanks in advance, feel free to inquire.
>>
>>26443947
Do you have a car
>>
File: DTHWqL0VwAAK66P.jpg (16 KB, 314x235)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>26443947
Get a job.
>>
>>26443947
get a job, a gym membership and find some place in the woods that you can safely rest in
job gets you monies, gym membership free showers/water/exercise if you feel like it, and woods are always safer than the city - unless there's coyotes and other stuff that might want to eat you
also get a gun
>>
>>26443976
Yeah, but the insurance is 366$ and gas is around 5 bucks in my area.
>>26443981
Local job market is extremely dry. Only got a high school degree, and I can't even get a warehouse job. I heard they were hiring everyone, even retards, but I still got rejected from warehouse jobs.
>>26443991
I live in the country. The job market here is extremely dry, especially for a retard like myself. There's a few gyms like 9 miles away from me but they're super expensive monthly payments. I can't afford a gun.
>>
call the united way and get a list and/or links to all the clothing/food/shelter/housing aid that exists. in big cities there is a lot of that stuff available. United way has a phone number in big cities that is 211. just type 211 and dial it. thats your main resource.

salvation army has a drug/alcohol recover program that lasts up to 18 months. you live on their property in dorms and work at one of their stores, saving your money. by the time you leave youll have enough for a job reference, apartment, and some time clean. community health clinics offer $10 meds/doctor visits if you dont have any money. again, United Way will direct you to those.
>>
>>26444004
I live in bumfuck nowhere out in the country. I'm not looking for a shelter, I've accepted my fate as a wanderer. I have no hope of adapting to modern society.

>salvation army drug/alcohol recover program
I have never done any drug or drank any beer. I was going to join the Marines but was rejected because of my Osgood-Schaltter disease, poor eyesight, kyphosis, and something else I'm forgetting.
>>
>>26443997
Live out of the car for as long as possible, don’t make ANY homeless friends, don’t tell people where you stay or live (other homeless people that is). A lot of them are mentally ill or addicts and will absolutely crab mentality keep you down. It’s a cycle.
>>
>>26444021
I would have never spoken to anyone in the first place, but thank you for the advice. So should I spend money on gas? Should I drive somewhere? Do you know any cliffs in the state of Maryland/PA that are easy to access and would be a sure kill if someone jumped off?
>>
>>26443947
I don't really have any advice to give anon, but I wish you can get through this, stay strong anon.

Not entirely sure if it will give you tips, but there's this YouTuber that have been interviewing homeless people from across all the states for more than a decade already, you may find interviews with people from the street that may share good knowledge about how to get through, his channel is called InvisiblePeople.
>>
>>26443997
Apply at McDonalds & Walmart
>>
>>26444052
Thanks for your optimism, but this isn't something I'm necessarily looking to get out of. Also, I'm planning on being a nomad type, I don't want to stay in one place too long. I like walking. I was moreso looking for tips on how to acquire water, some essentials I should buy, etc. And getting that advice from drug addicts and people with life debilitating mental illnesses seems like a bad idea. I've watched the videos you reference and they seem really fucked up in the head.
>>26444077
No McDonalds near me. I applied to walmart 5 times and was rejected. I tried applying in store but they only accepted online applications. I had a job doing pizza delivery but it was a net loss because my car is shit, I spent every cent I made + more on gas/repairs. But thank you.
>>
>>
I phrased this thread quite badly. I should have said I was looking for survival tips. I apologize for any confusion, but I'm not looking to get a job or join some shelter.
>>26444143
Sorry for the confusion. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for any good survival tips, like how to acquire safe drinking water, maybe a good tent a lot of people don't know about, some specific survival tips/tricks. But thank you, I appreciate the advice and will definitely use it as a backup plan.
>>
>>26444030
Suicide does not get you out of homelessness. Keep that in mind. If you off yourself you rob yourself of the redemption arc or ever having a chance of having a good life. Plenty of people live homeless and plenty of people are temporarily homeless. I really truly believe that since we're going to die anyway, you should just try your best fuck around and find out. Of all the possibilities in life suicide is the worst, essentially. Anyway besides all that make sure you bring with you presentable clothes for interviews, you can clean up but if you don't have a button down then you're sorta SOL. Also go to a city, cities have a lot of homeless not because "democrats" or whatever bs, it's because the homeless can fucking survive there. Good infrastructure, good programs, opportunities, resources, that sort of thing. Spend your time now applying to government programs to get income, if you can't get financial aid you can always get food stamps or something.
>>
>>26444237
I apologize, and I don't mean to shit on your advice at all, but I feel like you've misunderstood me. I'm not looking for a job, I'm not looking to integrate into modern society, I'm not looking for a "redemption arc." The suicide thing was a bit edgy but essentially what I'm doing is trying to uh.. I don't know how to put this.. wander? I like walking, I like traveling on foot. I should have phrased this thread a lot differently; what I'm looking for is general/specific survival tips, not how to integrate into society. That does not sound appealing to me. But thank you once again.
>>
>>26444251
Stick to highways and people will give you rides
>>
>>26443947
The best thing to survive homelessness is become not homeless anymore. And be somewhere warm enough that the shelters don't become overcrowded with people who really don't belong around others but have chosen the shelter as an alternative to freezing to death. In the Northeast that sometimes depends on the season. People who are not insane are usually briefly homeless followed by a period of housing insecurity. You can use the state and possibly some charities to get showered, food, and maybe some shuteye. Be cautious of other people because some of them are savage.
>>
>>26444284
>>26444293
Yes, thank you both a lot. But besides that stuff, is there any tents you recommend? Any on-the-go water filters?
>>
>>26444251
Hello. I'm >>26444293. This basically proves my point about long term homeless being headcases who to some extent choose homelessness. Your main priorities should be food hygiene and sleep. Achieving these things while homeless is an art and it's hard to advise specifically because it all depends on the situation. Sometimes the shelter can make your life easier. Sometimes it's hellish. I'd say usually the former but I wouldn't discount the hellish part. Everything depends on specific circumstances because you're basically at the hands of fate until you get good at being a weirdo vagrant.
>>
>>26444305
Just drink tap water as in most of the US it's very potable. If you think you're going to survive in nature without startup capital to buy even a tent you're going to be fucked. Unless you get on social security or something. I suppose that's another thing that could help you, social security.
>>
>>26444311
I apologize for wasting your time and I appreciate the fact you took some time out of your day to write a response, but like I said, all of the stuff you're saying is in every article ever written about homelessness. I am not doing this because of sudden circumstance. I am out in the country, and I made this thread for survival tips, like how to filter water, some good, durable cheap tents, and general survival experience.
>>26444325
I looked into that but I'm not applicable. And thanks, good idea. I'll stick around open businessness to use their tap.

Alright, thank you everyone for the advice! I have definitely taken it into consideration and will be applying it promptly.
>>
>>26444351
You are choosing to be homeless and think $135 is going to get you through the remainder of your life in the countryside. You sound like you should qualify for disability. Maybe technically you don't but some psychiatrists are very liberal about these things and will try to get it for you.
>>
>>26444351
OP respectfully it sounds like you have no idea what you're doing and you think you can just wild it out. If you live in the US this is not possible, not really. If you don't die within the first few weeks due to some sort of accidental poison or medical issue you will likely try to restart from zero in some bumfuck town and be forcing yourself into homelessness like >>26444311 suggests. You can be a traveler, an outdoorsman, someone who does wilderness stuff and still have a job and a home or apartment to come home to.
>>
File: NEET guide.jpg (464 KB, 1471x893)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>26443947
>>26443981
>>
>>26443947
Similar boat here. Look up the different handyman app, get on indeed and look for jobs that specifically require no skills or certifications etc.

For food, no matter where you are u can guarantee there's a service of some sort to help you out, there's also EBT (food stamps) get on it.
>>
>>26443947
when you inevitably have to suck your first cock for money/drugs, make sure you get the money or drugs IN HAND before you suck their cock. tuck it away really well so they cant grab it back and run, either.
>>
>>26444015
Idk about this homeless business but fyi all those issues speak to what sounds like a serious calcium deficiency. Possibly dietary deficiency but maybe your overall ability to process calcium. If you ever can you should speak to a doctor about more complex calcium and vitamin D deficiency.
When you can you should be sure to intake consistent high average levels of calcium, vitamin d, and vitamin K2.
>>
Buy a house.
>>
>>26443947
If I were to ever become a homless, I would make 100% sure I look the best and handsome. I would probably then start knocking on eldery people homes and ask if they want to tell me their life story, for my school document or whatever. 5 people per day, 10 hours. Usually will come with free food, coffee and maybe even some tip of being nice.

Old people are lonely as fuck and they'll appreciate your presence and they'll like they can talk about their life to someone. It is what it is. Just please BE NICE to them, do not force them to do anything, dont steal their money.... Dont expect to even get a water.

You can then keep coming back. Build trust. Just again, dont be a fucking asshole!!!

It's win win situation. :)
>>
>>26447297
Stop this and add something to the conversation. I am done with not being taken seriously when I ask for advice on 4chan. You would not be like this if your identity was tied to your replies, so why do you do it? We need to be able to have verify everyone's identity with name, home adress and e-mail for example. This is the main issue with 4chan. Please add something to the conversation or don't say anything at all. This is the only place to ask for advice. Reddit, Quora and other alternatives are decent but not great compared to the advice given here. To anonymous: think of me as a human and not just a poster. I have feelings too. I am going to not survive my homelessness and I can only solve this with your help, please be social. Thank you for your time and consideration anonymous. It is highly appreciated in such dark times.
>>
>>26447313
Thank you for actual advice this time anonymous.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.