[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: anime demon.jpg (262 KB, 928x781)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
I want to read the bible. Which version should I read? Also any other suggested holy books would be cool, I'm mainly reading for insight and inspiration. I've always been a catholic but I really want to get at least somewhat into my faith and also understand other peoples faiths as well.
>>
>>25358581
>I've always been a catholic
>I want to read the bible

What the fuck dude. Start with genesis and go on from there you dumb mutt.
>>
try the message (often abbreviated to MSG). where NIV is a little boring and matter-of-fact in it's style, MSG is a lot more poetic and engaging, especially in the old testament imo.

new king james (NKJV) is also good when it comes to capturing the original, poetic spirit of the bible, without getting too bogged down in the old english that king james is tradtionally written in.

these are some pretty basic recommendations, admittedly - it might be worth doing a bit of your own research and thinking about what books you actually want to read and how you want to read them (ie are you looking more at the gospel, do you think you'd have trouble with revelations etc) before dedicating yourself. you've got plenty of choice!
>>
File: caution_moron_alert.jpg (51 KB, 483x313)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>25358581
Fuck, the morons that try to LARP as Catholics are so apathetically obvious.
Every Catholic that has actually been to Mass routinely and has been through the Sacraments knows a few key facts:
>The C in Catholic is a capital letter
> The Church approved translations are very specific and you can learn them from your priest, the USCCD, or att he bookstore at your parish
>Before First Communion all Catholic kids must read the bible and are usually given a copy of the bible as a part of the Sacrament
>Catholic Mass is about 40% *reading aloud from the bible* and discussing it.
>No Catholic gives a fuck about pagans, heretics, and apostates unless they are a scholar
This 'imma catholic and I never read the bible' bullshit is like saying 'imma muslim and boy I love beer and bacon! Israel is great!'
>>
King James is generally considered the superior version. It's a bit harder to read, because the language is ancient, but later versions contain many sketchy edits.

And you don't have to read it back-to-back. Search for specific topics that interests you. Online bibles will let you do that.
>>
>>25358622
All shitty versions missing entire books of the bible.
The KJV is a terrible translation full of errors (in addition to having books edited out).
The New Jerusalem Bible and the ESVCE are good, accurate translations and complete with all the books
>>
I read it in Japanese as the weeb I am.
>>
>>25358581
>I've always been a catholic
Then why haven't you just gotten a bible from the parish library or bookstore at your parish?
Talk to the DRE and he or she will loan you one along with a concordance .
>>
>>25358581
Check your parish bulletin for the Adult Education group, they all have bibles and weekly bible readings/study. Or check with the CCD and borrow one.
>>
>>25358581
King James Version is what all the biblefags are about. KJV is best. It is no fun. If you take a page to the shitter, each time you go, you can do it in a year. The language is easy enough for modern people to understand but complain about.
>>
File: baki cola.jpg (19 KB, 540x402)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>25358585
I was raised catholic and went to religion class, I've read passages but I've never read the full book. I know a vast majority of the major stories, but they were read to me rather than me reading the actual book a majority of the time. I'd prefer to read it myself.
>>25358622
>>25358669
>>25358672
all very good suggestions, I'll continue to do research but I'd prefer to get as close to the original text as possible, and then read a modern accepted version
>>25358657
>the C in catholic is capital
I'm not gonna follow grammar roles on this retarded website. You didn't even put periods at the end of a majority of sentences in your post
>the church has approved translations
who says I need to support the institution of the church if I want to be catholic? I want to know what the most accurate translation to jesus's teachings are, not what the church has decided is most strategically viable for this moment in history.
>all kids must read the entire bible before first communion and they get a bible
this literally isn't true. Sure I was gifted bibles after my first communion I have no idea if those are the best versions of one of the most heavily disputed texts in human history. Also I literally was not forced to read the entire bible in 2nd grade when I got my first communion at a literal catholic school.
>Catholic mass is all about reading and discussing the bible
I know. I go to mass semi-regularly. I just want to read the whole text front to back though, I don't want someone telling me what it means I want to read and understand what it means for myself.
>No Catholic gives a fuck about pagans, heretics, and apostates unless they are a scholar
I genuinely don't know what the fuck you are talking about here. Yes I want to at least read other holy books as well if only to understand why I think they are wrong and I am right.
>>25358676
lol
>>25358698
I have bibles I want to know which version I should read. I've heard that KJV is shit on multiple occasions.
>>
File: 2017-12-30_08.59.21.jpg (277 KB, 791x6325)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>25358585
I know, right? What advice do you give someone when they themselves arent even interested enough to open the book?
>>
File: bat drink.jpg (54 KB, 604x340)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
>>25358705
I'd probbably rather read the whole text and come to my own conclusions on it before discussing it with others. I might heavily consider some kind of study group though a bit down the line once I have a more concrete grasp of all the stories in it rather than just bits and pieces.
>>25358709
if the KJV is no fun which version would you recommend? Also I'm pretty fucking good at reading rather obtuse texts so confusing language likely won't be a problem
>>
File: anime punch.jpg (27 KB, 500x514)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>25358741
>grammar roles
fucking autocorrect
>>
>>25358754
>good at reading rather obtuse texts
Then get a greek study bible, and since you are like that....STOP FOCUSING ON VERSION. Its making you look stupid as hell, Literally.
>>
>>25358741
>who says I need to support the institution of the church if I want to be catholic?
*CONFIRMED LARPER*.
Fuck off, heretic
>>
File: button.png (266 KB, 321x332)
266 KB
266 KB PNG
>>25358768
I'm all about supporting local catholic communities but the actual vatican city seems like a temple full of fucking merchants just like the one jesus cleaned out in that one bible story. Supporting the molestation of children is not something I can get behind.
>>25358763
yeah you're probably right
>>
File: 20210203_183613.jpg (1.45 MB, 2560x1440)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>25358768
From my perspective litrally every church on earth is heretical to the absolute living God.
>>
>>25358768
Nah you fuck off, the institution of the church is a mix of pedophiles and greedy jerks.
They give us - classical Christians - a bad name, fuck them. I hope they rot in hell.
>>
>>25358788
>I'm all about supporting local catholic communities
I literally dont even look at which denomination of church Im going to and try to visit new ones each time I go.

Practice supporting those that support, not your specific ingroup you think is this or that...or maybe just volunteer instead...bring "the spirit of the church to the sick and needy".

God isnt only found is "version" or in "holy sites"...its everywhere, everyday, always.
>>
File: bingus.jpg (34 KB, 828x813)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>25358810
I'm all about people being allowed to have their spaces to worship what they want so long as they don't hurt anybody. What I meant bu support was that since my beliefs typically align with catholic beliefs to the best of my knowledge, I myself go to and try to maintain catholic communities. Not that I have anything against other groups. Also I do volunteer. Probably not as much as I want to or should, but I do do it.
>>
>>25358843
Fiar enough.. I just can see the gaps of where any denomination is and see it as a hole missing where God is...so I go about to search for infinity.

>Gee..sure would be nice if OP was forced to be named OP so we knew if the thread was resolved or not.........
>>
>>25358788
>damn right I am a non-Catholic LARPer
FTFY
>>
>>25358581
KJV but realise it's old English. Start with Proverbs, then genesis then Matthew then the book of Job. These are very important books. The rest is also important like exodus but parts are just laws for the jews (OT) or prophecies (Isaiah) so they might come across as boring for some and generally only provide parts of the larger story that is Christianity. there's also the apocrypha. The books I mentioned lay down a number of fundamental things about Christianity.
>>
File: 2021-11-17_19.08.24.jpg (3.36 MB, 1558x3210)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
>>25359873
Best reply in the thread.
>>
>>25358581
NRSV
>>
>>25359873
KJV is on objectively terrible bible. The translation is so full of errors no scholar use it and the language (not Old English, you uneducated moron) is obstructive
>>
Ronald Knox Translation
>>
>>25358581
Read the entirety of King James New Testament or listen to the dramatized audio
>>
Once you're done reading the bible or get bored of reading it, make sure you read the quran too.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.