[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ezgif-4-72e1657fc408.gif (2.2 MB, 600x362)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB GIF
I work in sales. I have a base salary of 30k plus commission. I work at least 40 hours a week.

Today my boss told me there was a conversation about cutting my pay to offset some of the current challenges the company is facing financially. He said that despite the challenges, he doesn't like the idea of impacting my performance to save a few hundred dollars a month, so he isn't going to do it. My issue is that the conversation even happened in the first place in upper management.

What would you do?
>>
cutting pay doesnt happen, its not a thing. they lay people off, dont hire anyone new, or hire new people. those are the three personnel options available.

now, i think he made that up. perhaps because hes setting you up to take on much more work. or something similar. i wouldnt believe a word he says. but definitely start putting resumes out there. this could go downhill fast if things are looking bleak at that company.
>>
File: 1628735373963.jpg (102 KB, 1280x936)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>25094768

If that is USD, then fucking leave. Do you even realize how laughably easy it is to get a job right now? My boss was a sexist, arrogant cunt who had a team of nine people, and now it's down to two people. Everybody in the last two months found a job making over 80K USD minimum, and I just handed in my two weeks notice with potential for a counteroffer, which I will be refusing. HR won't budge and he's freaking out because his little empire crumbled and he has one lazy fuck left and a bunch of cut-rate contractors.

Seriously, you can have a pulse and get another job. If you are competent you can get multiple offers within no time. Managers can't figure it out. But you can. The blood is on the wall, stop thinking it is paint. It doesn't get better when you openly have those kinds of talks with your boss.
>>
>>25094875
The low wage is because commission is high. I get fat checks when I close some significant deals. That said, just the notion of even discussing there being a pay reduction sounds so insulting. If the company is doing so bad they need to think about that, they can save the 30k. I'm thinking of telling them they can keep me on as a 1099 and pay me more commission, no salary, and cover my expenses at networking events etc.

I'm honestly angry.
>>
>>25094768
Cutting wages doesn't really happen. I would assume this was an intimidation tactic to try and make you fear for job security and get more work out of you. Sounds like your working environment is pretty terrible, OP.
>>
>>25094935
>I'm thinking of telling them they can keep me on as a 1099 and pay me more commission, no salary, and cover my expenses at networking events etc.
Why would you do that? I'm not from the USA so maybe I'm missing the advantages of whatever a 1099 is, but isn't this just giving them exactly what they wanted?
>>
File: chaos to die.png (765 KB, 1248x1563)
765 KB
765 KB PNG
>>25094953
>isn't this just giving them exactly what they wanted?
The idea is I will no longer be on call, I will operate on my own schedule and not waste my time in meetings and shit or hunting for leads unless I feel like it. I won't be beholden to anyone. The 30k annually amounts to around 1200 a month after taxes. I'll easily get that back when I've secured more clients. It's a step backwards, but only until I secure a few more deals. At an increased commission rate, I'll make that back and then some.

That still will have me of course on client calls and so on if and when I book them, but it will free up my schedule significantly so I can whatever I want, go on vacations, and have my freedom back.
>>
>>25094875
Where do you live? What kind of industry?
>>
>>25094768
I work in sales to. I make a minimum wage and then commission on top of that. Sounds a lot like what you were talking about.

What do you sell? How viable is the industry now? Do you have any other skills or qualifications?
>>
>>25095064
Yeah it's very normal for sales.
I sell marketing services. Company has a great track record, it's very legit as far as generating results. The challenge has been to secure new business. Frankly, part of the problem is the leads themselves not being qualified enough. It isn't a me issue when the sales process often involved upper management. I've only been with the company 4 months so there was clearly a learning curve, and frankly the training was mediocre compared to other jobs I've worked.

Generally speaking, I'm very very good at project management, general production work, networking & community facing roles, and so on.
>>
What would I do?
Probably consider quitting.
>>
I'm so angry. It's keeping me from sleeping.
>>
>>25094768
You should have faith in him for sticking up for you like that. Of course upper management is going to try to pull some shit like that, to them you're just another face they don't know.
If they eventually try to shaft you, give them a formal ultimatum of "Do this and I leave."
That's assuming you're happy at your job.
>>
>>25095374
It's a small company. The owner of the company is the one who told me this. I know he's kept me around because I have what it takes to succeed. He hired someone else and fired her in 30 days. It's got a lot of potential for growth but the conversation really rubbed me the wrong way the more I thought about it.
>>
>>25094768
>My issue is that the conversation even happened in the first place
Mate, who do you think is first on the chopping block when they need to save money. Every time a company is short on cash, they're going to have this conversation. You are disposable as an employee even if they pretend you aren't, I'm sorry you're only just discovering this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.