[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File deleted.
>5 year unemployment gap
>have not left my house for the same time
>no friends or social life

How do I recover from this? How do you restart some form of career? Who will even hire you? What industries are viable?

I graduated with a business degree then went on to work entry-level corporate jobs for a few years. But I developed a mental illness and had to quit. I was pretty much a crazy and delirious lunatic for a while. I got medicated and moved back home to stabilize.

Basically I lost my entire life. I dropped off from the face of the earth so couldn't maintain any career, connections or friends. I wasn't a very social person before but now my social skills barely there.

What do I do now? My family is somewhat supportive and well-off so they can give me a hand financially if I wanted to do something. But I have no idea how to start. Just getting some sort of income again would be an amazing goal for me. I think I'd prefer a work from home but I'm willing to try anything.
>>
>>24617841
how do you allow yourself this? I'm basically losing my mind here not having a social life for a couple of months, but you stretched it to 5 years. Don't know about you but I think I'll move somewhere and start volunteering somewhere or kill myself. dont know.
>>
Are you bipolar/schizo? Honestly start anywhere, whether it's sweeping floors or flipping burgers at first (though ideally try to find something lower stress), anything to break the NEET cycle and get you out into the world a little again. Once you get some semblance of a "normal" life back, if you're stable, you could then try getting one of those corporate jobs again, some places will look past the employment gap if you seem keen enough.
>>
Go to talk to the social worker responsible for your place of residence. In every first world country there are programmes to help people like you to integrate in the job market.
>>
>>24617841
Hi me. I havne't been as isolated because I have been doing tutoring while doing state job exams, but I have a similar gap. i'd suggest to seek social services or go ask at your unemployment office: they will give you information at the very least.
>>
>>24617841
Just lie on your resume you faggot. How do people see something to at isn’t concrete like a resume and just go
>”well there’s a 5 year gap” no WAY I can lie about this
What the fuck do you think an interview is? Do you think you’re supposed to give candid answers
>why do you want to work here?
Uhhh you really think they think your answer isn’t complete bullshit?

It’s to see how well you can lie
>>
>>24618002
What's a good lie? They usually also ask for references.

>>24617967
>>24617995
>social workers
Does this exist in America?

>>24617946
>Are you bipolar/schizo?
I was the latter.
>>
File: 1626456040785.jpg (1.22 MB, 1293x1412)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
I was NEET for 5 years and I got out of it by doing call center sales. It's rough, people will tell you to flip burgers or work retail like those jobs don't go to people who've done similar things before.

But telesales, they just want a good voice to scam people, it is *complete* hell but if you can get through it for a while you can apply for something else. I moved to a customer service place.
>>
>>24618002
based lol
>>
>>24618034
Put your parents’ numbers or neighbors’ # and lie about who they are. If they were entry-level jobs, they’re most likely not going to call your references.
>>
>>24620153
god i hate this applying stuff. should i kms?

t. finishing uni late
>>
>>24620199
Stop seething and get over it, work is a part of life.
>>
>>24620227
ya but will they even interview me when my resume is shit? thats what im anxious about
>>
>>24617841
Id just started applying to remote positions. Be a volume shooter and not picky with what you apply to, you can always decline an interview. Otherwise, do you like the outdoors? If you’re in the US I’ve heard of people getting a job in national parks with little to no experience. I feel like it would be a path that cares relatively little about an employment gap. I know you said you prefer remote but it would probably be a job away from people if the socializing is what’s making you anxious about in person work. Just an idea
>>
>>24618002
Tbf part of background checks is verifying pst employment. But you could definitely lie and say you tried to make your own business and failed.
>>
>>24617841
Get a farm job.
>>
I got turned down for a cashier job because I didn’t have experience idk
>>
>>24617841
Have you tried working a 9-5? I know some people have to work because they have no choice.
>>
>>24617841
Make your own job
Or just find a warehouse to work in. Warehouses literally white anyone. You could say you raped and killed a person, and they'd have you on board the next day
>>
>>24617841
You fill in the gap with some sort of self employed bullshit, like you tried to be a writer or something and couldn't make it work. Then you apply to jobs again.
>>
>>24620825
I used this to get my current job. I'm making bank now
>>
>>24620785
That happened to me once but they hired me right away as an entry level worker instead and had me learn the basics of the entire store while we waited for the next cashier training session sponsored by corporate.

It worked ok!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.