[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Most people don’t realise this but if you have a top tier job e.g. doctor or FAANG programmer the USA is in a completely different league to every other country on the planet. Insane pay, minimal taxation and minimal cost of living vs the other developed countries.

I was not born in the USA, I was born in the uk. I am a medical student and a self made millionaire but I’m just not proud of any of it knowing I will make so little compared to what someone of my calibre would in the USA. To be honest until I had an in depth look at life in the USA I was very satisfied and even quite proud of how I was doing, now I just feel like I’ve been cheated and it’s making me unhappy. If you’re in a similar situation (highly skilled in Western Europe, third worlder) how do you not let this get to you.

>move to the USA
It’s extremely difficult and fraught with inconvenience
>the USA is bad
Ok I’m not going to debate this, all I’m going to say is almost everyone similar to myself (flawless academic record, great career, wealthy) holds the same view towards the issue.
>>
>the USA is bad
The USA is great if you have money. The bad is avoidable if you just avoid (which requires money) minority areas.
>>
>>24091750
I'm a programmer that immigrated to the US from Canada and I can tell you that, for me personally, I am doing way better here than I would have done in my home country. So, I don't think you're wrong from a financial perspective. However, like most things, it's a pro-con situation and I did have an immense amount of trouble even just getting residency like you were saying

My advice for you, though, is don't torture yourself. Decide to either try for the US or not and let it go at that, be at peace.
>>
>>24091750
Theres more to life than money.
>>
Higher cost of living

Plus you do know doctors while wealthy will never be as wealthy as some other high tier careers right
Eg finance tech
>>
>>24091832
Basado negro
>>
>>24091850
Yeah like guns, freedom, bitches with fat asses, and meat. I’m just kidding. I’m American.
>>
>>24091750
I'm surprised you're concerned about salary. If it makes such a difference, you can spend some of those crypto bucks on a lawyer to help you move.
>>
So let me get this straight. You’re jealous of us because we have a culture that supports keeping the fruits of your labor. But somehow we’re bad for letting people keep the fruits of their labor?

You can baby the minorities and losers or you can raise the ceiling for the successful. Either way fuck off were full.
>>
>>24091850
there isn't. money is power, love, and time all wrapped up into one. money is the only real thing on the planet.
>>
>>24091903
>But somehow we’re bad for letting people keep the fruits of their labor?
I don't think he said this
>>
>>24091750
Hello Ali Abdaal
>>
>>24091840
Thankyou, interesting to hear from someone who has been in the same situation. Did you think it was worth it all in the end?

I’m glad it worked out for you. For doctors it’s swings and roundabouts. Our chance of getting a GC is higher than pretty much everyone else but the cost is you’ll be forced to work in the middle of nowhere for 3+ years and forced into primary care.

>>24091878
You’re really, really overestimating how much 1 mil is and how rich the USA is vs other countries. 1 mil is about 35k a year for doing fuck all for the rest of your life. Including this my income in uk would still be well under a quarter of what I’d earn if born in the USA, and under half if immigrated to USA.

>>24091903
Didn’t say this at all. I think the USA has got pretty much everything correct and I agree with a lot of American ideals like the American dream, self sufficiency, small gov etc. Don’t agree with making immigration so nightmarish for highly skilled people who are inevitably going to positively contribute. The richest man and IMO greatest contributor to the world wasn’t born in the USA but has benefitted the country massively. Immigrant doctors are vital to providing care in the rural areas no Americans want to work.
>>
>>24091907
I apologize in behalf of my fellow stripey-star. We can get a little touchey about our version of politics right meow.
>>
>>24091903
He didn't say that at all.
>>
>>24091976
Not me, though I wish I was. Maybe I would have been with a good upbringing instead of poverty and abuse, but let’s face it I’m just coping lol.

While I’m obviously far above average he is just in a different league, and unlike me he’s actually doing it. He was the person who first made me aware of the difference though.
>>
>>24091991
>You’re really, really overestimating how much 1 mil is and how rich the USA is vs other countries.
It's not that. If you're already a millionaire, I'm surprised you're talking about a salary and not investments. Also my actual point was that you can afford to move. Your family will understand it's for career purposes.
>>
>>24091991
Thank you yeah we’re still working out the kinks. I think we are starting to see both sides of our ideal split, but we have a lot of tension between two different cultures, and we need to learn to use both their strengths.
>>
>>24091991
>Immigrant doctors are vital to providing care in the rural areas no Americans want to work.
imagine some spic or nigger doctor who doesn't speak English treating flyover state whites. Fuck off paki, us is for whites only. the rest are just visitors. Whites are the only ones who contribute.
>>
>>24092021
For instance I am all for immigration, and not for others. Don’t care about race just skill, and willingness to assimilate. Ideally we will take good things from your culture too. I know it’s easy for me to be in my position and say that. I don’t mean to be rude. If I thought we could take on everyone that wanted to come I would be on board but apparently something crazy like 80% of the world considers moving here.
>>
>>24091750
Lol doctors are taxed and have malpractice insurance up the ass bro
>>
>>24092020
I get where you’re coming from but my income from working would be significantly greater than income from investing, at 5 mil then yes income from working wouldn’t matter but I’m not there yet. There is also none of the associated risk and uncertainty if it’s coming from a job.

Yeah I can afford to move, that’s never been the issue. No family to hold me back either. It’s the nightmare of dealing with visas and their associated restrictions.
>>
>>24092055
lawyer

invest in property/startups not stonks
>>
>>24092037
Don’t worry we’ll try to send you the whites. I voted for trump but Biden’s recent bill was actually pretty good in my opinion and will uplift a lot of the fly-overs. Those that can afford to move from the cities probably will as so many people work on internet now. I’m thinking of moving to South Dakota or Maine. I’m white if that matters.
>>
>>24092062
You have no idea how much money is about to flood the center of the country once they get high speed internet connections.
>>
>>24092037
Oh look a racist chud, have sex, get a job and fuck off. There are interviews for residency and you won’t pass if you’re a complete weirdo or unable to speak English.

>>24092061
Look, It isn’t that simple or everyone would do it. Also property? That will not get me to 5 mil or so before I’m old and wrinkly.

>>24092043
Yeah that sounds like a good way to do it. I fully understand that the bar has to be high (as it does in every developed country) but the USA just goes out of its way to make things difficult in a way which doesn’t ensure the best and brightest, only that the most desperate who are willing to deal with the bullshit get in.
>>
>>24092134
you sound risk averse. Not very american of you. The lawyer is supposed to deal with bullshit in your stead.
>>
>>24091991
>Thank you, interesting to hear from someone who has been in the same situation. Did you think it was worth it all in the end?
Yes, I *think* so but who knows for sure really in the end. But I was part of a semi-startup company that did very well, I invested aggressively, kept my costs down and now I can retire early. This probably would not have happened like that in Canada, there's just not enough opportunity.

However, ironically, I'm now considering leaving because, while the US is a great place to work, it's a terrible place for everything else. Specifically as an early retiree, the healthcare system is 100% broken and I'm not confident about the long term plan. There are a few options, though. I may go either back to Canada, go to Mexico or someplace in Europe.

>I’m glad it worked out for you. For doctors it’s swings and roundabouts. Our chance of getting a GC is higher than pretty much everyone else but the cost is you’ll be forced to work in the middle of nowhere for 3+ years and forced into primary care.
3 years is is actually not a bad deal. Like I said, if you really want to do that move, I'd start it asap.
>>
>>24092150
A good lawyer can’t resolve the myriad of issues with moving there e.g. being forced into middle of nowhere.

Not scared of the risk with property but I don’t see it giving crazy effortless gains
>>
>>24092134
Yeah I’m a weird republican with a lot of liberal values and a certain willingness for government expenditures to help people improve their lives. The reason I sort of don’t like the dems is because of how blind they are and idealistic. I swear there’s not a fucking person on their team that knows their multiplication tables but they know how to use a fucking semi-colon.
>>
>>24092165
Interesting to hear about healthcare, I always thought it was just a meme for professionals. But random but what did you think of the houses? Are they comparable to homes in Canada? They look so beautiful and modern on Zillow.

It’s all your free time gone in university, followed by 3 years of residency and 3 years of rural work then hopefully the green card. Now you’ve said it it actually isn’t that long in the grand scheme of things I still feel as if it is an awful lot of life to sacrifice in what are supposed to be the best years of your life. If I stayed in the uk I could spend them owning a beautiful flat in a major city, stress free and being able to easily take time out to travel.

Also worth noting Australia is an option which is far easier and doesn’t force you to life in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>24092280
>Interesting to hear about healthcare, I always thought it was just a meme for professionals.
No, it's a very serious problem and bankrupts hundreds of thousands of people a year. The ugly truth is that the entire industry is, without exaggeration, completely predatory and the consequences you see are engineered, not by accident. Very sad.

>But random but what did you think of the houses? Are they comparable to homes in Canada? They look so beautiful and modern on Zillow.
So, I'm a pretty active real estate investor and can tell you that, while the construction is pretty similar, the economics and markets of real estate in both countries are far, far apart. For whatever reason, a Canadian will pay much much more for a similar home than someone in the US, the mortgage products are worse in Canada, property taxes and HOA/strata fees are higher in Canada, and landlord laws are worse in Canada. Despite all of this bullshit, though, Canadians still believe that RE is a great deal and will often buy it to their own detriment. :( There's a good blog that discusses this insanity, greaterfool.ca. The author is a bit too tinfoil-hat, but has many valid points.

> Now you’ve said it it actually isn’t that long in the grand scheme of things I still feel as if it is an awful lot of life to sacrifice in what are supposed to be the best years of your life. If I stayed in the uk I could spend them owning a beautiful flat in a major city, stress free and being able to easily take time out to travel.
My plan has always been to work hard and live frugally when I'm young so I won't have to work when I'm older. So, taking it easy and going travelling has never been high on my radar. But that's just me, it's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not. Hope it all works out for you!
>>
>>24092377

Thankyou for all your help, seems like I ran into one of the few decent people left on this site.
>>
>>24092377
#2 is because Canada lets Chinese millionaires buy as many houses as they want and many are emtpy.
>>
>>24092487
I'm glad my ramblings were of some use to you, LOL

>>24092528
I think the blog I mentioned disagrees with this conclusion. Give it a read if you are interested. Tons of content and stats on there going back over a decade.
>>
>>24091991
It wouldn’t be good if we let every retard third worlder come here. Thats kind of one of the biggest political issues we have around here. Keeping the barrier to entry high means only the motherfuckers that really want in get in. There are already enough assholes that come here to work and build businesses illegally just so they can take their chunk and retire back in the mud countries.

Rural areas have plenty of doctors. Low cost of living, lighter work load, and higher quality of life isn’t a tough sell to most professionals over the age of thirty.
>>
>>24092618
>Rural areas have plenty of doctors
If this was true there wouldn’t be the restriction on working only in rural areas. This is an issue in every country on the planet.
>>
>>24091750
Fuck nigger, were full
>>
>>24093167
Fuck off nigger, we're full*
>>
>>24092556
Alright. I’ve just been hearing a lot about the Chinese millionaires but to be fair I didn’t think that was every factor involved

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.