[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: reddit the anime.jpg (39 KB, 400x400)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Why do people call avoidant personality a disorder? Seems like gaslighting
>>
>>23916892
Gaslighting needs two people, it's not a personality flaw
>>
>>23916892
Not sure what avoidant personality is, but you should know that most "disorders" aren't things wrong with your chemistry, just lables for certain types of peaple. What you get diagnosed with has far more to do with the therapist you go to rather than what is actually wrong with you. There is nothing wrong with you man, watch out for gas lighting though, that is pure, impossible-to-do-it-unintentionally manipulation and those people don't deserve you.
>>
>>23916892
people with this disorder will gaslight you and make you out to be a monster and give zero fucks about your feels. best to avoid them.
>>
>>23916917
I think I have this disorder and I genuinely feel like people like you ask way too much of people like me
>>
>>23916935
if you keep poking a fan worm it will stop hiding eventually
>>
>>23916935
so long as you're the type who can accept suggestions and make progress then you're okay. people who are fundamentally absurd and go nowhere with their lives are bummers.
>>
>>23916948
so annoying
>>23916950
I can accept suggestions from grounded individual's that I trust. I am very good at pursuing internal goals like improving at guitar or reducing my weed or food intake. I'm very bad at external goals like asking for promotions at work or showing other musicians my written material.

Talking feels like poison and the people who talk all the time are like vacant drunks
>>
Lol op.
APD diagnosis is helpful bc it helps to structure the treatment , it alsoprovides guidelines for assessment, for example if u wanna assess progress over time if youre receiving therapy.

The main idea is avoidance rather than engagment. Theres therapies that are made for that kind of issue like exposure based cognitive behavioral therapy and the more recent acceptance and commitment therapy.

Bc basically when you avoid things that are scary to you , its good short term bc u dont have to deal w it , but long term u develop the habit of sheltering yourself and not engaging with objects and situations that scare you.

However if you engage those situations, you build a capacity to deal with them even if its tremendously difficult at first.

Its not gaslighting because the essence of any DSM diagnosis is that the traits that are required to get the diagnoses cause suffering , otherwise its not diagnosed.
>>
>>23916892
>Seems like gaslighting
Wut?
>>
>>23918299
I think OP is saying that if someone is avoidant than they probably have a good reason for it? His logic is pretty shakey but I can relate to the sentiment
>>
>>23916892
Failure to face your problems with honesty and effort is itself a problem.
>>
>>23916892
it is like unnecessary amounts of ways to avoid (hence the name) living a life with any semblance of normalcy or stability. it impacts the person to the extent where they can no longer maintain any sort or relationship, can not fulfill responsibilities required of them for their job or career, causes impairment in their daily living from inability to fulfill minor tasks such as doing laundry or buying food or exercise or taking showers or cleaning the house.
>>
>>23918299
gaslighting is when someone is accused of doing something they are not responsible for and the person asks what is going on etc they end up being attacked and due to the amount of dishonesty and trickery and abuse starts to believe something that is false. this is all instigated by one person whose goal is to trick the person into believing something false thus leading to their inappropriate and perhaps illegal behaviour which ends the relationship between the gaslighter and the target. the target believes they are in the right and they are not doing anything wrong, the gaslighter is leading them to a point where they cannot dispute their involvement.
>>
>>23918319
thats called a personality disorder or mood disorder both have this problem
>>
>>23916917
People with this disorder won't even make friends with you, you retard
>>
>>23918299
Gaslighting is a technique where you weaken someones resolve by making them doubt their own sanity in general by lying about things that shouldn't matter. Name comes from some story where a dude keeps lying to his wife that she forgot to turn off some gas-powered lights in a greenhouse or something.
>>
Show me a personality without disorder

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.