[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/adv/ - Advice

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Everybody here giving advice to the next hapless person whining about his life keeps insisting that even the biggest turbo autist in the world can learn social skills.

My question is how?
>>
>>22582773
You don't sound like someone who has assburgers.
Who diagnosed you with assburger?
>>
>>22582822
Aspergers doesn't have a sound.

>>22582773
I can't help you OP but I have one tip; when you say Asperger's, the G should be hard, like 'merger', it takes away the awkwardness of 'ass burgers'.
>>
>>22582855
Isn't assburger and "high functioning autism" an oxymoron?
Either you have autism or you haven't and you are high functioning.
You can't have both.
>>
>>22582864
It's a spectrum, meaning the degree and manner to which the 'tism cripples you is different.

'High functioning autism' isn't entirely pointless, because certain individuals with autism function a lot better than others.
>>
>>22582864
It's called the 'autism spectrum' for a reason, in that there's a buncha shit in there between 'barely better than down syndrome' and 'you're a bit quirky'.

Asperger's is basically a retired term at this point because officially it's all ASD/Autism Spectrum Disorder. I was diagnosed with Asperger's but I call myself Autistic cause it's easier, less awkward, and it's true.

I've tried to read a lot on the subject but literally the best explanation of the difference I can come up with is 'Autism is not correlated with high IQ while Asperger's is'.
>>
>>22582881
>Autism is not correlated with high IQ while Asperger's is
Is it though? Aspies can be average.
>>
>>22582888
That's why I said 'correlated'. It's not a distinguishing factor, it's just the only thing that I really understand is different between the two.
>>
File: 1368020534568.gif (2.56 MB, 167x190)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
I'd like to know too.
I went out with my housemate tonight to see his sister and her housemates. I knew it was a bad idea, but I basically sat there silently continually glancing at the clock waiting for it to be over because I couldn't relate to any of the conversation.

These are 22-25 year olds talking about fun anecdotes, shared experiences, sex, etc. and here I am a 29 year old virgin with absolutely nothing going on in my life or any way to connect with these people. Even if I was welcome there and technically did nothing offensive I felt like a fucking alien. They're meeting up again later this week to watch the new season of Umbrella Academy, and I'm going along because I need to cling to any social threads I still have, but tonight was agony and I don't really want to go.
>>
>>22582957
I'm 22 kind of the same but IDK if I have assburgers. Yet I never considered it a major limitation. Socialization isn't necessary for anything other than forming sexual relationships, and even then looks matter so much more. Why are you still trying to fit in? Just do your thing, be a loner it's your life. Live it comfortably.
>>
>>22582981
If you're fortunate enough to be decent looking you can find girls on dating apps to sleep with to get your sexual fix when you really need it. Outside of that I agree people are social to different degrees and if you're an asocial loner just embrace it and do what makes you happy, that's what I do. Life is more comfy, fun, free and productive now that I'm not bogged down with a social life, which doesn't do much for me.
>>
>>22582991
>>22582981
>and do what makes you happy
But nothing makes me happy.
>>
>>22582995
This is the real challenge of Autism, from my autistic perspective. It's like the world values nothing more than enthusiasm and interest; find your niche, chase your dreams! But I'm having a hard time keeping showered. Fuck dreams.
>>
>>22582995
>But nothing makes me happy.
It can take work and persistence to find things you like and develop skill, but if nothing makes you happy that could be depression, I would see a doc anon, all the best.
>>
>>22582991
Das rite. I've been in that anons and OPs shoes, thinking I must be a normie or something bad will happen. What a waste of time. You can't just change how your whole brain functions. Just recognize you have some advantages and disadvantages compared to the next guy and move on.

>>22582995
Surely you enjoy something? Indulge in your interests and make them a focal point of your life. That's literally it.
>>
>>22582995
Yet you do know what feeling happy feels like, since you can produce the sentence "nothing makes me happy" and mean it in the first place.

If you have felt happy, something must have induced that feeling in you. What is it?
>>
>>22583040
>If you have felt happy, something must have induced that feeling in you. What is it?
Legitimately don't think I ever have been happy.
I've been entertained, engaged, relieved; never 'happy' though.

>>22583009
I'm on pills for depression. They took away the urge to kill myself but it hasn't made me a happier person, just more able to deal with life's bullshit and misery.

>>22583003
>>22583010
I've tried a lot of things in the past. Going to the gym, learning to cook, trying to learn another language, board game clubs, golf, hiking, archery, fishing, video games, reading- both fiction and non-fiction, watching film and tv, arts and crafts like origami and jewelry making; none of it ever clicked, it always felt like a chore.
I dunno, maybe my brain is irreparably broken.
>>
>>22583062
>Legitimately don't think I ever have been happy.
Then how do you know what happy feels like well enough to miss it?
>>
Sorry, I feel like I'm bogarting OP's thread, so I'll shut up now, but;
>>22583082
>Then how do you know what happy feels like well enough to miss it?
I assume most people don't despise themselves and spend much of the day wanting to die (or just feeling empty and bored and alone, which is how I've felt after commencing antidepressants).
To reiterate, I don't think I've ever been happy. If I have, you're right I didn't recognise it.
>>
>>22583095
Tip: Don't assume anything about emotions from observing other people, emotions are qualia, only what you yourself are feeling matters.

If you want to feel entertained, engaged and relieved, all those intersect with "happy" (since happy on its own is pretty vague and general).

Also, antidepressants are for suppressing symptoms of depression, but they do not -cure- depression. You cure it by restoring confidence in yourself and learning how to deal with yourself and other people.
>>
>>22582773
Its a lie, you can't.
>>
>>22583062
>I dunno, maybe my brain is irreparably broken
It basically is if you have autism or asperger.
>>
>>22583114
>You cure it by restoring confidence in yourself and learning how to deal with yourself and other people
Someone that no one without real help manages to achieve.
>>
>>22583234
Something*
>>
>>22583234
Of course. Anyone who tells you that you can cure depression on your own is lying to you.
The point is that the belief that you can live your life away from other people and trapped inside your own head is what leaves you more vulnerable to depression in the first place.

Seek people who are willing to help you, not just in terms of giving you advice or services or material goods, but in the sense of accepting you. Claim their acceptance if you have to
>>
>>22582773
unironically start googling about the redpill, pua, read roosh's book "bang," etc. in general, social fluidity is just being in the same kind of social situations over and over again. in general though, you need to appear to have energy, enthusiasm, and get people talking about themselves. Ask lots of questions revolving around FORD (senpai, job, skip religion, and dreams)
>>
File: 1596202651508.jpg (21 KB, 505x550)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>22583279
I have no one.
>>
>>22583379
Good, don't listen to that anon. Do not depend on the strength of others, seek your own strength.
>>
File: IMG_20200802_172849.jpg (50 KB, 506x550)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>22583401
>seek your own strength
But I don't have that.
>>
>>22583451
Then keel over and die little pup
>>
>>22583401
>>22583477
Bahahah nice advice, fagtron. Fuck off.

>>22583379
OP, do you have noone in your life, like do you live in the woods on your own?
Or do you just have noone you feel you can trust and confide to?
Parents? Friends? Therapist/doc?
>>
>>22583491
>Or do you just have noone you feel you can trust and confide to?
Parents? Friends? Therapist/doc?
This is the ""man"" calling others faggots. Terminate your worthless existence tranny.
>>
>>22583287
Pickup artistry is sociopathy and sexism. But sadly there is some advice there for someone who has to contrive his social skills in the first place.
>>
>>22583491
Only a mother that raised me and threated me like shit, so no one.
>>
>>22582773
Observe and Practice.

Sit someplace public and people-watch. See how strangers interact, how friends interact, how lovers interact. Sort the various behaviors out in your mind. Then try them yourself. You WILL get them wrong at first. Everyone does. Everyone, though most get through that phase while young teenagers, when everyone else is also screwing up, so it goes unnoticed.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.